JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

The New Years Eve Ball- Xmas 1677

Blackguard

Anne-Elisabeth looking for trouble to meet more people

Nobody even looked toward her as Anne-Elisabeth glided confidently into the Hall. After her triumph in the Scarlet Drawing Room, she was more than a bit disappointed. I could probably steal anything that isn't nailed down and nobody would notice. It was actually a tempting thought, but she didn't act on it. Instead, she asked a servant for a glass of rum, and when it was placed into her hand, she took a sip, her head tipped up so that she could see the painting on the ceiling. Impressed, she studied it while walking further into the room, not paying much attention to where she was going.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sophia approaching the King

It seemed that everyone Sophia knew was already occupied. Mademoiselle Vauquelin and Lady Kendishall were conversing with gentlemen and she certainly didn't want to interrupt them. She noticed Lord Chichester and Lady Frances Cavendish moving toward the dance floor. Since he was here, Esteban must be around somewhere. Perhaps he was discussing politics in another room. She didn't think he would be interested in any of the games taking place in the Music Room and Drawing Rooms.

She saw Lord Beverley and his wife speaking with the Duke of Cumberland. She still wondered if the German had convinced Lord Kingston to let her marry Esteban. Maybe if she talked to him she could cleverly find out. It had been so long since she had seen Lord Beverly, he probably didn't remember who she was and he might resent the intrusion. Lord Kingston was in the midst of a group of people she didn't recognize. Perhaps they wouldn't mind if she joined them.

Sophia didn't see Mistress Wellsley or Lord Chatham at all. She really wanted to speak to Lord Chatham tonight, so she hoped she would find him eventually. Briefly, she considered the notion that he had sneaked away with Mistress Wellsley, but that was just ridiculous.

A servant approached her with a tray of wine. The petite blonde smiled as she recognized Diego Estrada, obviously spying in disguise. She winked back at him and watched as he disappeared into the crowd. Looking up, she spotted the tall handsome figure of Lord Dundarg, with Lord Melville and … Ellen Doolittle? She started moving in his direction, intending to save him from Ellen's endless boredom and then stopped in her tracks.

No, she couldn't just walk right up to him. If Esteban was covertly watching her, he would be angry that the first person she approached was the gentleman that he had told her to stay away from and she didn't want him to forbid her from attending the Scot's party on the morrow. Lord Dundarg would most likely not be able to stand Ellen's company for long and didn't need rescuing. They could speak later in the evening. He had promised to dance with her tonight.

She caught a glimpse of John Burgoyne and immediately began walking in the opposite direction. He posed no threat to Sophia now that she was married, but she felt a bit guilty for the way she had treated him when she had feared he would ask to court her. Her thoughts were interrupted by the sight of the English Ambassador to France conversing with the Danish Ambassador. Were they scheming against Spain together? France was Spain's enemy, but was Denmark? All she knew about that country was that their ancestors were Vikings. She really needed to learn more about politics.

They were both looking toward the King, who was speaking with a blond gentleman. For some reason, Sophia found herself heading in the monarch's direction. Since was mingling with his subjects, would he be willing to spend a few moments in her company? Maybe she would even be able to convince him to dance with her. Flouncing cheerfully into his line of vision, her smile was both sanguine and shy. “Happy New Year, Your Majesty,” she said, dropping a pretty curtsy. The beads and jewels on her gown glittered merrily as they caught the light.

Edited by Guest

George, Charles, Frances, and Tamsin

After reassuring Tamsin Charles accepted George's offer, to which he gave a single bow-like nod of assent. It was as close as being formally charged with a duty that George had known yet, and thus deeply pleasing. "I shall do my best to assist towards the incarceration of those vile villains." this to Tamsin he said.

And then dancing called them this way and that, and George was offering Frances his arm, to the dancefloor they went.

Frances & George

"But my dear I did." George placated the young lady, who in all the excitement had missed George's introductions when given*.

Here he took his stance and bowed as the music begun - she would discover him to be an exacting, even elegant dance partner.

* It was in this post that: "When it was apt George then provided the missing introductions to and fro."

Nicolette moving towards Denbigh comes across Anne-Elizabeth

The exchange of kisses with Ranelagh was the highlight of her night - Nicci was grinning broadly and feeling fantastic. She could just imagine that this was the way it might be when they were married, linked yet not too entwined, it might be the most sumptuous mutually enjoyable alliance. Not really so different to what it was like right now...

She was swanning her way towards Denbigh when a debutante (who else would arrive at a ball and stare at the ceiling!) blocked her. Nicci, in magnanimous spirits crooned, "Darling, you are looking the wrong way, the truly dazzling sights are at floor level." Her French accent gave her words of wisdom an exotic and even erotic tone.

"Mademoiselle Nicolette Vauquelin, Mistress of Misrule, enchantee." she introduced herself with a youthful raise of eyebrow.

Charles & Jonathan

"And that is a failing?" Jonathan quipped in reply, "rather I would say it is one of my more finely honed abilities, a perfect compliment to my shapely thighs." and he laughed again.

He needed very little encouragement from Charles to take the most direct route to the wine cellar, and prospective darkness that fairly compelled an exploration of any and all nooks and crannies.

Continued here

Louis and Shrewsbury

Air puffed from her nose in amuse of his jest - however the defensiveness in his sentiment did not escape note. "Yet if I were at church I'd be the picture of pious. You and I are alike that way, we know which way to face to cast ourselves in the best light."

There was no way he'd gone to a libertine party and then acted the prude, for that would have drawn negative comments.

"Very well dear, I'll not question your denial, and match it with one of my own. I was not at Chruch last night, though I shall need attend on the morro." The ex Countess laughed musically with this and lifted her glass to clink against his.

"Oh yes I have seen your hither to unheard of French Cousin. I suppose that is the way of success, they appear out of the woodwork don’t they." She having amassed a substantial personal wealth herself, was not in short supply of her own needy relatives.

"Oh but you must have heard I am remarried, Sir Thomas Bridges, shortly to be gentleman of the bedchamber." She having paid four and a half thousands pounds for his honour. "I am a respectable woman again, now doesn’t it suit me." she gave Louis a sparkling-eyed saucy grin.

Francis, Dorothea, Anne, Bradley

"Oh!" Belatedly Bradley took his cue from the Look Francis gave. "Lady Lennard this is Lord Kingston, who is as fine a chap as I've met here at Court." He endeavoured to compensate by embellishment now, "And his lady friend is Lady Dorothea Charlotte of Brandenburg-Ansbach. Visiting from Germany." he paused, tempted to embellish Dorothea’s introduction also, but nervous to do so incase she took offense!

"Yes I had figured there was some manner of relation." Anne replied to Francis original thought, "If one looks like a pear, one is probably a pear." she smiled. Francis was dead ringer of a Villiers male.

"So much secrecy of Brighton, now I am truly interested." Anne chuckled, perhaps if she got him alone he'd reveal a little something?

Her attention then slid to the German lass, "But I pleased to gain your acquaintance Lady Dorothea, I hope your stay in England shall be some months yet, you must see the countryside in springtime. Don’t you agree Lord Kingston?" Her eyebrow rose questioningly, though the question in her mind was more to what his relationship with the young lady was.

Bradley felt slightly messenger boy and overlooked at that moment, realising he'd forgotten to provide his own introduction entirely. Was it too late to cut in with that now? Blazing Saddles!

Francis, wrongly, assumed that the Whitehurst boy must know the new lady, for why else would he not give his own introduction? Francis did not think him that socially awkward, but perhaps Francis was generous because he had not lived his entire life as a courtier either.

"And why a pear, my lady?" he asked, his eyes crinkling playfully. Hopefully, the lady had some wit, what with her family background. Pears and all.

"Perhaps you can find a way to loosen your husband's tongue on the affair," Kingston encouraged, not truly knowing much about that situation or the lady's proclivities. It sounded as innocent or as saucy a response as one wished it to be. That suited his purposes.

Alternatively, he wished to suggest she ask Lord Rochester, but he kept himself in check around Dorothea. A mischievous curl ghosted across his lips for a moment at the thought.

"Perhaps young Master Whitehurst, here, will be able to sniff some of it out." A young man had an easier time hearing exotic tales than a young lady. Not that Francis was opposed to sharing such tales, but balls around proper ladies was not precisely the moment, and Francis was more gentlemanly than that.

As to his companion, he smiled and said, "Indeed, you cannot see anything with this snow and slush! Not to mention we are all anxious that Her Majesty should be happy. Lady Dorothea is thus indispensable." He was careful with his compliments for reasons a lady of Dorothea's stature would know. He did not wish to create gossip. Not to mention she was nearly as much above him as she was above Bradley!

Cordelia and Arlington

She took a glass of wine and took a sip allowing the fact that it was not to her taste to not show and a small smile appeared instead of the grimace.

"I have my moments My Lord." She quipped in reply.

"Favor, I find, is much like the Tide - it comes and goes. Is it not the way of Things here? I am not as well versed as you naturally yet I admit I am curious as to just how much might be gained by the 'Lady'."

"I am sorry to hear of that. I trust tis nothing that will not be easily treated. I hope for her quick recovery."

what of me ....

"Ah. Well enough well enough. I have only a son left to me. John. He is here somewhere and no doubt amongst those of his friends who'd not welcome the presence of a Matron as you might well understand! You have a daughter then? How admirable that she cares for her Mother ... And is she married? Have you grandchildren?"

Keeping her hand in the Game was a thing she knew well and what if the Gentleman's daughter was in an eligable position hmmm!

Ellen being approached by Douglas and Duncan

She had been watching for him and it was just happenstance that she was looking in the direction and so she saw him afore he saw her - and that he was bringing another man with him and one she did not know at that!

She hoped her appearance was sufficient - it had hardly changed from when Duncan had left her so her skin was still tinged pink and her brown eyes were alert and curious - yet in her mind she imagines a smuged cheek or some other oddity that will give Truth to all those old rumors ....

She smiled up at Duncan and then turned her gaze to Douglas for a moment silent appraising her brown eyes widening ever so slightly as she took in his height then she stood offering them both a small curtsey adding

"Baron Dundrag. Happy New Year! And I am his only sister-in-law yet he flatters me. You are far from Home indeed ..."

She glanced back to Duncan an amused twinkle in her eyes as she let him know that she has guessed at what he was up to - how could she not? A married man introducing unmarried woman to another unmarried man - wait he could be married which would mean she had made a muddle out of this.

Oh Dear.

Caroline and Rowland

Caroline smiled at Rowland, "Oh, aren't you the confident one....or should I say ....cocky? That you could exhaust me then?"

He leaned in closer and whispered to her, apparently not concerned about the fact they were now in public and this time not at a libertine party but a royal ball. She paused of course but did not look at him as he told her his desires in a hushed tones.

"Ahh, you certainly seemed to enjoy your last taste did you not? I am glad my nipples please you," she whispered back but deliberately did not actually outright agree to a repeat performance. Not yet. She did not want to make it all too easy for him. Besides who knew, maybe another man might come up to her for another dance. There were so many menfolk here, it was would be unwise to leave the game too soon into it, now would it?

Edited by Guest

Douglas, Duncan and Ellen

The pair searched through the crowd a little, until Duncan’s direction of travel became more purposeful and it became apparently that they were homing in on a young lady sitting to the side of the room next to an empty chair. As they approached Douglas regarded her with interest. Plain, it was true, but hardly ugly, and she did have that terribly fashionable blonde hair. Having grown up amongst beautiful women and found them all to be contrary and one an absolute nightmare, Douglas found himself attracted more to personality than appearance. Certainly he found nothing objectionable in his first sight of Ellen, and the wealth implied by her fine clothes would no doubt catch anyone’s attention. Perhaps she intended to make up for her common birth, but as Duncan had pointed out, Douglas had far less to lose than most nobility in such a match.

As Duncan did them the kindness of the promised introductions, Douglas smiled warmly and executed a fluid bow as she in turn rose and curtseyed. “Mistress Ellen, tis a pleasure tae meet ye. Laird Melville speaks heely o’ ye.” He said warmly, then paused at her words and glanced from Ellen to Duncan and back in slight confusion. “‘Ainly sister in law’?” He echoed. “Is thair nae a younger sister?”* He asked. Still a child perhaps, and therefor not counted?

Then he shrugged it off, not wanting to offend Ellen. “Nae that t’matters, fer the Lairdy that I asked tae be intraeduced tae is the one afor me, an’ I’m sure Melville favours ye wi’ guid reason.” He asserted. “I dare tae hope ye micht favour me in turn, at least wi’ the pleasure o’ a dance.”** And more, if her father would permit it. He hoped his words made his intention clear, whilst the request for a dance gave her an out after that, if she so chose.

“And a happy new year tae ye as weel.” He replied warmly. “Wilk I am far frae Dundarg Castle, London haes becam a second hame tae me. My duty tae His Majesty keeps me here fer much o’ the year.”*** He explained, lest she fear he might spirit her away to Scotland, never to return. Indeed, Douglas was wearing his Life Guard’s uniform now, the velvet one complete with his fullest lace and fluffiest feathers, and all the marks of a Captain. Did Ellen like what she saw, and what she heard? Whilst one might marry a lady purely on her father’s say-so, it was perhaps a measure of Douglas’s lack of sophistication that her opinion of him was important to him. He’d spent so much time being rejected for his birth that he craved acceptance - and desire - from others.

Subtitles

* “Mistress Doolittle, tis a pleasure to meet you. Lord Melville speaks highly of you. Only sister in law? Is there not a younger sister?”

** “Not that it matters, for the Lady that I asked to be introduced to is the one before me, and I’m sure Melville favours you with good reason. I dare to hope you might favour me in turn, at least with the pleasure of a dance.”

*** “A happy new year to you as well. Whilst I am far from Dundarg Castle, London has become become a second home to me. My duty to His Majesty keeps me here for much of the year.”

Edited by Guest

Frances and George

There was hardly a moment yet she managed "So I missed your introduction then?" A small frown marred her features."Why I must seem very ill-mannered indeed and can not think why I did such. Please forgive me. I shall have to make it up."

He then sent her across to her place but she called over one shoulder

"Will you talk with me after - I wish to know that has happened."

Said in what she hoped was a 'firm tone' and then turned to face him directly again as she waited for the Muscians to strike up.

he will be a good partner here as well. we two shall move finely.

She sent him a smile as she curtsied waiting to be proved right.

Beverley

"Good evening Lord and Lady Beverley," Cumberland greeted the couple formally. Like many, he was more formal in public settings. Peg was less so.

"Don't you look handsome Robert," Peg flattered. "And Mary you look like an angel." Mary blushed. "I hope you both have danced a good deal already."

Cordelia

"Nothing too serious," Arlington replied. "But a deep cough and congestion. The vapors have her feeling better." As for his daughter. She had been pledged as a child to one of the King's bastards, one now dead at sea. "She is too young to wed yet," he observed aloud. "There is still time enough for her to be a comfort to her mother."

He nodded at the analogy to tides. It was true enough. His own tide had receded, but he was hopeful that he could find another opportunity to see it returned.

"Sons are like that, I imagine. Eager to be free of their mothers. So you are left to your own pursuits then. Are you to be entagled in some scheme or merely observe from afar?"

Ranelagh bursts in on Rowland and Caroline

Ranelagh was not a man who played particularly fair. He came up and said, "Good evening, ladies," before acting surprised and saying, "Oh Alston, my apologies."

He smiled mercilessly at the younger man.

"Lady Kendishall is needed for a most important mission, and I did not think to be interrupting anything of consequence," he feigned some form of apology, but it was drama. "Might I still beg your indulgence," he said to the lady.

It was far to simple just to cut in or ask for a dance. It was far more fun to swat at the little fly before he attempted his own go at the sweets!

Louis and Shrewsbury

"We are all sinners," Louis acknowledged in good humor. "The churches would have no reason for existence if that were not true."

It was then that she revealed the identity of her husband. She had married an earl, tarried with a Duke and now was marrying a knight? It seemed that her trajectory was not always upward. "Congratulations," he offered sincerely. It was important for her to signal the court that she had moved on from the scandal that had followed her. Would this be enough?

"You have always been respectable in my book," he flattered. "Welcome to the world of proper society. Be careful though ... should you attend a party frequented by libertines, some might assume the worst of you." He gave her a wink.

"Did you bring your husband to court, or did some mishap prevent him?"

Charles and Tamsin

"Best you have protection going home this evening," the Earl advised. "That sort of wealth might attract the wrong kind of attention. Do you have a male servant to accompany you home tonight?" He would have volunteered himself, but he had a rendezvous with Davina and then Susan this very evening. Perhaps he could ask Chichester to escort her home if she had no one else.

"Let us say Monday afternoon then," he offered. "I shall bring the dagger with me."

Mindful of the time, Charles suggested "let us enjoy a dance." He hoped to squeeze in another with Frances Cavendish before his rendezvous with Davina.

Charles and Tamsin (and a mysterious stranger)

“Our coach driver is a former soldier,” Tamsin informed him. “He should be able to protect us if we're attacked on the road. You don't think that anyone will accost us on the palace grounds, do you?” She was understandably a bit wary after what had happened at the weapon shop. “We were quite safe walking from the carriage to the palace door.”

The young girl nodded, her dark curls bouncing around her shoulders. “Monday will be splendid.” Her smile became a bit sheepish. “I brought my sketchbook with me tonight because I thought maybe you would have the dagger with you, but I should have known that it is too valuable to bring to a ball, considering that it's probably well over a hundred years old. Is it a family heirloom like my jewelry?”

They were approaching the dance floor now. A man maneuvered a loquacious lady into the spot beside them but did not look in their direction. The woman suddenly let out a stifled yelp and fell silent as her companion trod on her toes. “I'm sorry, he said, though in truth, he was not. How would he be able to eavesdrop with his partner chattering a mile a minute? At least she had finally shut up.

Nicolette and Anne-Elisabeth

A sultry voice with a French accent intruded into Anne-Elisabeth's contemplation of the ceiling and she lowered her eyes to the pretty lady who had spoken. And you're one of those fetching sights, she thought. Her full lips turned up into a warm but mischievous smile. “Are they? I suppose I should pay more attention to what's around me then.”

The woman introduced herself and the Countess wondered what a Frenchwoman was doing at the English court. Was she one of the King's mistresses? She had heard that at least one of them was French. English Christmas traditions had been celebrated in Barbados, so she was familiar with the Lord of Misrule, and she was surprised but intrigued that a woman had been chosen instead of a man. Maybe England was more progressive than she had thought.

“I'm delighted to meet you, Mademoiselle Vauquelin. I'm Lady Anne-Elisabeth Devereux, the Countess of Cambray, and I arrived in London only a few days ago. I suppose I can also call myself the Lady of Limericks, since I just defeated Lord Dorset in a limerick competition. Would the Lady of Misrule be willing to show the Lady of Limericks the sights that she finds most dazzling? I confess I feel a bit lost in such unfamiliar surroundings.”

Beverleys & Cumberlands

"Indeed, we have, and we shall have many more this evening as well," Beverley said, with honest exuberance. He liked his wife, and she was a fine dancer.

"And you are looking far too fine in such a beautiful dress not to be showing it off," he complimented back. Scripted compliment were his forte. As was small talk. However, Mrs. Hughes was one of few women who could get real talk out of him.

And one of the few persons who could call him Robert without him feeling strangely, for she had tended him when he had been ill at Brighton and that act required a good deal of informality.

"Would you join me for the next one?" he asked. "If you will allow me to deprive you of your company, Sir," he added to Cumberland.

Douglas, Duncan, and Ellen

heavens. i'll be hard pressed to catch one word in five with that accent. pay attention

"Oh I take no offense at all! Natalie is the youngest and as I am the elder can therefore claim to be 'his only'."

She smiled at both men then resumed her seat adding that one of them might be able to locate a third chair or stand - as they wished.

"I think perhaps your talents might be wasted in that Office - you have a glib tongue and so Politics might well suit instead - even tho the one you wear now is most impressive."

(reference to his uniform)

"Dundarg Castle how mysterious it sounds! Is it far into the Highlamds or near to Edinburgh? I have not traveled much - as my brother-in-law can attest to - yet my desire for it has never departed. I once voiced the thought of venturing out on one of our Ships yet was redirected back to Land. Tis so unfair."

That she teased might well be clear yet Douglas might catch those last few words as truth.

"Duncan I do hope you can find another chair for I shall get a crick in my neck staring up at you two! If you have siblings are they all as tall as you - even the girls?"

"I shall be happy to accept the offer to dance."

She added on at the end.

First impressions made, Nicolette took an instant shine to this young lady.

Bending her head nearer "...for don’t been deceived, they are certainly paying attention to you." Nicolette flashed a smile. "Can you feel their covert looks, that tingle up your spine? Isn’t it scintillating!"

“Ooh, a Countess." Nicolette voiced herself openly impressed at the high rank of the other (and yet Anne was so young looking). "But tell me where is the estates of Cambray? It's a lovely sounding word to be certain."

Title aside, Anne-Elizabeth seemed most delighted to reveal her nights achievement. "Dorset?" Nicolette repeated the conquered Earls name, "What a poor fellow - not! He's on a pitiful loosing streak, did you know he married a woman by drunken mistake earlier in the year, and has only recently gained his annulment." Nicolette was happy to gossip.

"I shall be delighted to." she replied as Anne-Elizabeth requested a tour of remarkable personages. "But first you must tell me what tickles your fancy most, then I shall tailor my tour to best dazzle you. Having danced upon Dorset do you seek further games of wit? Or do you delight in disrupting those most serious politicians faces into a smile - I must admit that is one of my favourite sports. Hmm... or, oh do not tell me that you would like to meet courts matrons for I simply shall not believe you!"

Ranelagh, Rowland, and Caroline

And then their witty...or at least suggestive repartee was interrupted with another man's voice, Caroline glanced to see Ranelagh smiling after zinging Rowland a good one.

"Good evening to you too, sir," Caroline nodded acknowledgement then smiled.

It seemed she was needed for something important? What was this all about?

"This better not be regarding mice because I have had my share of such nonsense already," Caroline replied sarcastically, he probably wouldn't be aware of what she meant by it.

"Important mission is it? Well, I am simply agog with anticipation, tell us....what is it I am needed for?" she awaited a fuller explanation.

As she was not attending the Queen tonight, Susan Herbert had been enjoying the ball, socializing with her friends and dancing. Her face was flushed prettily as she curtsied to her latest partner and left the floor. Deciding to take a short break, she plucked a glass of wine from the tray of a passing servant and found a divan with an excellent view of the room.

Setting her goblet the small table that stood next to the divan, she idly fiddled with the pearl ring that she and Lord Langdon had found in the secret tunnels beneath the palace. Although she didn't believe in ghosts, it certainly couldn't hurt to wear it to her meeting with the Earl at midnight to read the letters they had also discovered there, locked into a silver box. She was looking forward to that meeting, but she still had a couple of hours until she would need to leave the Hall.

Soon, she felt rested enough to dance again, and hoped that a gentleman would see her sitting alone and ask her to take a turn with him around the floor.

Now this was a lady after Anne-Elisabeth's own heart … bold, witty, and mischievous. She did feel eyes upon her now, but she thought that those gazes were directed at her enchanting companion rather than her. Which was all well and good to be seen in the company of a lady who was obviously popular at court. She did feel the sensations that Mademoiselle Vauquelin described, though … the same kind of excitement that had coursed through her veins during the limerick competition. “Yes, I feel it,” she said, returning her smile, “but it's not very strong because I believe everyone is looking at you.”

As for Cambray: “It's a lovely place as well, a pretty little spot on the coast. I don't know what I would do if I lived in an area where I couldn't see the ocean. I think I might go mad.”

The Frenchwoman had some interesting information about Lord Dorset. One ebony eyebrow arched upwards. “Is that so? That certainly explains the cynical views on marriage that he expressed in his limericks. I made it clear to him in my own verse that I share them. I did care for my late husband but nothing is going to bring him back, so I have decided to embrace my role as a widow.”

The Countess leaned closer to Nicolette. “So what happened? Did some actress coerce him into marrying her when he was drunk? He seems to be quite fond of actresses.”

Her delightful tour guide made several intriguing suggestions. Anne-Elisabeth made a face when she mentioned meeting matrons. “Absolutely not!” A wicked grin. “Well, I confess I wouldn't mind pushing one … right into the lap of a court rake! That would make for some fine entertainment, wouldn't you agree?”

She considered her options. "To start with, I think I would like to beguile a grin from a serious gentleman, and maybe get him to ask me to dance. You might have to show me how it's done, since I've never tried it before. Then I might be ready for another game of wit.”

Anne-Elisabeth smiled at her new friend. “I think it's wonderful that there is a Lady of Misrule this year instead of a Lord. You seem quite perfect for the part.”

Beverleys & Cumberlands

"My, aren't you the silver-tongued one," Peg replied, quite pleased with the attention. The Duke's knee pained him terribly and it was nearly impossible to get a dance out of him. "I should be delighted." Peg reached to take Beverley's arm and be escorted to the dance area.

Meanwhile, Mary was left in the august company of Cumberland. She was of an age to find the old warrior intimidating.

Charles and Tamsin

"This would not be the place for it," Langdon replied. "You would need a quiet place and room to sketch it. Tonight is full to the gunwales with rowdy courtiers." A if to prove it, some gentleman stepped on the toes of his companion as they moved to dance. It was so crowded.

Though he had the dagger on him, Charles had no desire to show it. She would want to see it and sketch it, which would mean missing a dance with Frances Cavendish and being late to his rendezvous. Tamsin would just need to wait.

"It is not my family heirloom," he admitted. "It is a longer story. We shall speak of it later. Meanwhile let us dance and make merry." With that, he led her into the dance,

Francis, Dorothea, Anne, Bradley

"A pear." Anne's attention returned to Francis. His question of 'why a pear' revealed the mind of a wit thirsting for verbal distraction, and the brightness she saw in his eyes confirmed it. While Anne had actually plucked the fruit from thin air, she was sharp enough to improvise around it.

"Why it was Eve's favoured* fruit." She rose an eyebrow, what might he make of that?

"He was there?" Yet it was news to her that Lennard had attended (at the time Anne had been 'on a vacation**' in France.) "You do not suggest he's keeping secrets from his wife do you?" she laughed, amused that any alternative was possible.

Young Dorothea looked back and forth between this pair's snappy conversation, then looked to Bradley, whose silence was at least easy to understand. This was just at the moment that Francis placed a challenge before the young man. And Bradley knowing a dare when he heard it, stood a little taller and adjusted his shoulders.

"I shall wring the story out of him." and he with such a naive view on male female relationships, "And advise you directly Lady Lennard." Bradley stole a look at Dorothea then, hoping he was impressing her. "Ahh... if you could just point your Lord Husband out?"

Back to Dorothea, who pinked under this sudden attention, more particularly that Francis desired her to stay. "Well I would indeed like to stay in England, to see the spring gardens in bloom."

"There then, I must talk to my father of it, and he shall surely write to your own and beg an extension of your stay." Anne was pleased to say.

Under her voice she directed Bradley, "He’s just over there." then as Bradley naievely strode away she looked back to Francis and laughed, "Can you remember being so, young?"

* the forbidden fruit

** sent to France (cough) Hortense etc

Ranelagh, Rowland, and Caroline

"You seemed to be rather partial to my cock." Rowland was making grand progress with Caroline, it was marvellous to find a woman was so terribly sensual, even here, surrounded by the bigwigs and matrons of court. If he was pushing things too far, then it was in part a dare to her, who would back off first?!

Yes it was going famously, until Ranelagh turned up. Ranelagh swooped in with jocose.

"What is that squeaking noise?" Rowland returned to the Earl, "Oh, it's you."

Bareey was a pleasantry said when the Earl thought to steal Caroline away - and the little Minx knew just what she was doing, leaving Rowland panting for her, as she sashayed away.

To the retreating Ranelagh he called, "Careful not to trip over your rosary as you go."

Though Ranelagh was not catholic - but Caroline might not know that. Watching after them, Rowland took up another drink and downed it in peeve. He was not about to give up on Caroline, and he was darned sure she knew it, infact she even planned it.

Louis and Shrewsbury

She had married an earl, tarried with a Duke and had now married a knight - and accrued herself a small fortune in the process. Yet just as Louis guessed, her interest now was in recovering her reputation. "Why thank you. I dare say you appreciate that not everyone has been so generous with their well wishes."

"Pah." she puffed a laugh at his returning tease. "Still, court memory is short. One need only wait till the next scandal to be forgot. And if one is not readily apparent, a little nudge might help."

"Yes he is here somewhere." She replied of her spouse. "Yours is aboard still?