JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

The New Years Eve Ball- Xmas 1677

Blackguard

"Was he?" Francis parroted back with a not-so-hidden grin. "I merely meant that he would know the better of the stories either way. I am sure they were told and retold among the younger gentlemen." He feigned innocence in a way that showed it was just play-acting.

For a moment, it had escaped him who her father was or just the thick reality of it hit him rather squarely all of a sudden.

"There, you shall have both their majesties on your side to stay with us for a little longer," Francis said to Dorothea, eager for anything which would keep his Queen happy. A happy woman meant for a happy everyone around that woman - it was a lesson every son of a Villiers woman learned young! His own desire for her to stay to enjoy herself was secondary to those more important ones for the Queen and the lady herself.

Things escalated quite quickly from there, and as usual a youth misconstrued another man's meaning. Francis had not meant Sussex in particular, and was surprised when he asked to be pointed in the direction of the lady's husband. Any libertine or even his own brother would have been able to tell an entertaining tale. It was rather too late now.

Francis sighed, shook his head, and chuckled, "I confess, I cannot, but I was not at court at his age. I was in battle at sea, so there is a different curve, and my guardian was not my barely elder brother." He licked his lips and said, "He will learn." Then again sometimes Lord Langdon seemed a bit bull-headedly obtuse.

"To be honest, though, that is not what I meant at all. Young Master Whitehurst seems to both be misunderstood and do a lot of misunderstanding," he lamented with a kind, but amusedly lopsided smile. "Surely, he could have gotten stories from his own brother. Should I follow him and stop him, do you think? I admit, my lady, your lord husband and I are friends. Though, if he is in a good mood, perhaps we should let it play out?" He looked between the two ladies for their advise.

If Bradley told Sussex that Kingston had sent him, it would likely amuse, because Sussex and Francis had built a sculpture of a voluptuous lady on the beach out of rocks at Brighton. Hardly very scandalous or anything worth keeping from one's wife. Francis doubted she was the sort to shock.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cordelia

"Yes," Arlington agreed quietly as his eyes roved the crowd to make note of people he did not know. Cordelia made mention of his staff, which caused him to grip it all the tighter. Some had suggested that he leave his white staff in his office, but he preferred to show it off as a badge of honor and importance.

"Indeed, I have been ever loyal to the King," he declared, conveniently forgetting how he had allied with the Country Party against the King when he felt that the King was not grateful enough. "A turning of the wheel is always possible." He needed to do something, like find a new mistress for the King. That always did wonders for the King's attention and gratitude.

Noticing a servant dropping a tray to the ground, splashing wine on nearby courtiers, Henry was visibly upset. "If you would excuse me, I have a servant to berate."

Louis and Shrewsbury

"Yes, my wife is abroad," Louis acknowledged. "I should like to meet your husband if you can locate him. Shall we take a turn on the dance floor before returning to other mischief planned?"

The Earl still searched about the crowd for young Heneage, certain that his Irish bride to be would force him to bring her to an event such as this. The man had otherwise disappeared.

There was also a desire to see Buckingham and or Lord Roos before dancing with Bridget. He had various plans in mind to cause her mischief.

Duncan and Juliana

He seemed a bit taken aback, but Juliana found his reaction adorable. She had discovered that it was quite uncommon at the English court for a woman to walk up to a gentleman she didn't know and strike up a conversation. Usually, it was men who made the first move, and ladies just hid behind their fans and hoped to catch their attention. The phony princess preferred to go after what she wanted. That was the best way to get it.

She recognized his accent a Scottish, but it wasn't as thick as the voice of another tall Scot whom she had met at last week's ball. Was it possible they knew each other? Juliana grinned smugly when he admitted that she was right. Of course she was. Those who thought otherwise often felt the kiss of her whip.

“Delighted, my lord,” she replied when he introduced himself. Although there was a sprig of mistletoe above her head, she didn't want to scare him away and held up one long-fingered musician's hand to be kissed. “I'm Princess Juliana of Hesse-Eschwege. I've recently come from Sweden to enjoy the English court at Christmas.”

Her smile broadened. “And now, my dear Lord Melville, you are looking in the right direction for a dance partner.”

Charles, George, Frances, and Tamsin

Pleasantries had been exchanged and Charles was ready for his dance with Frances. Time was getting close to the point whereby he would need to excuse himself to attend his rendezvous.

The Earl paused to allow Tamsin to answer Frances' question before reminding the Duke's daughter that she had promised him a dance. "I hear the music starting," he observed aloud to the quartet. "Shall we change partners and have another fine dance?" The sands of time were falling.

Beverley & Peg

"Imagine that," Beverley said, rather astounded in the other direction. Who would attempt to surgically give a pony a horn!

"Well, if the glue idea fails, I am sure there is a way to affix it to leather and then somehow camoflage it with the bridle or halter," Beverley postulated.

"What is the horn made of? Perhaps something lighter would be simpler?"

Solutions to problems was far easier for him than conversation. Not to mention it was a familiar activity with his duties.

Tamsin had heard many stories about court life, but nobody had told her that introductions were so important. She certainly didn't expect Lady Frances to apologize for … what? Not knowing her name? Not welcoming her to London? Her governess had taught her about proper court etiquette, but perhaps things had changed since the older woman had been to court.

“Thank you, Lady Frances,” she replied, finding her voice at last. She was unaware that the lady was the daughter of a Duke. Her own father was an Earl, and although he didn't outrank a Duke in status, it was possible he outranked him in wealth. Tamsin's family was obscenely rich and while her younger brothers would inherit her father's titles and vast properties, her dowry would still be enormous.

“I'm here with my mother and aunt. My father isn't fond of court and so he did not accompany us. This is my first season, but I certainly hope it will not be my last.” Lady Frances looked to be around her own age but seemed much more sophisticated and worldly. Tamsin felt like a country bumpkin in comparison.

Lord Langdon suggested that they change partners, and her blue gaze slid to Lord Chichester, hoping that he would agree. She wanted to practice dancing as much as possible tonight.

Frances was young, and did not realise that making such a to do about it was only making everyone feel awkward. But she needed to do what she thought she must, and so George stood by, waiting it all to be finished.

Tamsin accepted it with a courteous word to the other, and begun to make conversation with the other woman. Perehaps they may become friends?

"Indeed, there is scant break between the dances tonight." George replied as Charles noticed that the next dance was already about to begin. They were to swap partners, and so George offered Tamsin his arm.

It was entirely possible that Frances anxiety was more about George's change of manner towards her rather than any oversight of earlier greetings - for the man was mentally removing himself from the girl having his belated realisations that evening of the situation. Her father disapproved, and he had attained no prospects he might state to change the Duke's opinion. He was reminded of Beverleys advice, that a man was no gentlman to lead a lady on. He was better to follow Norfolk’s advice on that score.

"Shall we Lady Tamsin?"

Juliana and Duncan

“Your highness”, he replied to her introduction with a second bow. It was just a bit puzzling, though. In his years in the Continent, Duncan had picked up a bit of knowledge about the tapestry that was the Holy Roman Empire. He smiled at the title as, as one of his tutors had pressed on him, It was neither holy nor Roman, and it was definitely not an empire! That bit of knowledge seemed to tug at him, telling him that it was unlikely for a princess to come from Hesse-Eschwege. But it was just a tug at the back of his mind, not a certainty, so the Lowlander soon forgot about it.

“The English court is certainly gay, especially over the holidays. I am certain you will have a grand time while in London”. The Scotch was a very loyal subject of King Charles II, and would speak only good things about his liege and the court, especially to a foreigner. Still, to him it was not a lie. Carolus Rex and his court were a beacon of merriment in an otherwise difficult period, especially for Scotland and Ireland, or so the viscount thought.

At her hint about dancing, the Scotch smiled, and asked with mock gravity, “Princess, would you do me the honour of dancing with me?” Should Juliana accept, Duncan would offer her his arm, and indicate to her all the important personages of court they would see on their way to the dance floor. He would even be willing to dance twice in a row, should she hint

at it.

Sophia, The King, Grandison

The gentlemen listened to the young Lady Toledo recount her night's adventures attentively, quirks of their lips here and there. Grandison was amused at the childlike exuberance.

Both were impressed by her endurance, in more ways that one!

The King smiled into her soft kiss, being a target for frequent kisses that evening and keeping an eye out for any kissing targets of his own particular desire.

Grandison was expectedly more sedate.

If her twirls touched either of them, neither would complain, so it was of little consequence.

The King chuckled warmly and Grandison smiled.

The older lord observed, "But you have some endurance, Lady Toledo, to wish to sing after just playing a game with so much singing."

"We fear, Lady Toledo, that Master Killigrew has planned entertainment already," the King began. Then he winked and said, "And there would be gossip if you performed at such a state event." He tutted some in his warm way. He disliked disappointing anyone, unlike many kings, but it was a fact of life even for a king.

Beverley & Peg

"See, I should of asked you first," Peg replied in an exasperated manner. "Hiding it in the bridle would work, though my girl is clever enough that it wouldn't fool her long." She shook her head.

"The horn is made from a horse bone. I'm not sure which. It was carved to make it look like a horn. I was thinking that if it falls off I tell her that unicorns lose their horns and grow back a new one. That will keep her guessing for a year," she laughed at her own ingenuity. "Are you coming to the party?"

It was then that they reached the dance floor and were ready to begin dancing.

Duncan and Juliana

“I've been here for a little over a week now, and I must say I am enjoying it immensely.” How could she not, with so many handsome gentlemen and beautiful ladies to fuel her passion? She had only spent two nights by herself since she had arrived, and she hoped she would find somebody to take home with her tonight. There was a reason she had rented a house with such a huge bed, after all.

Would this gentleman be her partner in more than just a dance? He was quite formal and had not even attempted to flirt with her. Maybe he was awed by her status? Occasionally, pretending to be royal worked against her. Or was he happily married? If so, where was his wife? He could be one of those men who preferred their own gender. Or perhaps he just needed to get to know a lady first before he felt comfortable enough to make a move.

Dancing was an excellent way to get to know somebody. And he took her hint and asked her in a way that hinted at a sense of humor lurking behind his polite demeanor. “It would be my pleasure,” she replied with a smile. Resting her hand lightly upon his arm, Juliana accompanied him to the dance area, listening as he pointed out the important people they passed. She knew of a few of them already, although she had not formally met them. Others she had heard of but didn't have faces to associate with the names. And a couple of them were completely new to her. Lord Melville certainly knew a lot of people. He must be well-respected at court.

They arrived just as the musicians were starting to play, and after finding a spot among the other couples, Juliana curtsied to him as the dance began. She danced with a regal air about her and none of the coquettishness those who knew her well might expect. When the eyes of the court were upon her, she preferred to be seen as sophisticated and dignified; get her alone and it was another story altogether. She did smile warmly at Duncan when the steps brought them together, though.

She curtsied again as the dance ended. “That was wonderful, my lord. Do all Scots dance so well? I danced with another Scot at last week's ball. Would you happen to know Lord Dundarg?”

Sophia, the King, and Lord Grandison

Perhaps they would have been even more impressed with her boundless energy if they had known that in addition to all of the games she had played, Sophia had also engaged in a tryst in a storage room that had lasted two rounds. Despite so much activity, she was not the least bit tired and felt that there was more fun to be had this evening. Her ankle didn't bother her anymore, either.

She felt the King's smile against her lips. He seemed to enjoy her playful kiss, and she didn't believe that he thought she was interested in becoming one of his mistresses, even though she had flirted outrageously with him while performing in the opera. It had been created for his pleasure, after all. Though she found him quite handsome, she had no desire to sleep with him. She would only be one of many and she had a royal lover already.

Sophia couldn't tell what Lord Grandison thought about her kiss, but she hoped he had liked it. Maybe an opportunity would arise where she could kiss him again. He smiled when she asked if she could sing. He had a charming smile. “Oh, but I could sing all night, Lord Grandison!” she exclaimed. “And all day and … I could sing forever!”

Unfortunately, there was other entertainment planned, and she could understand why the King would he be concerned about the wife of the Spanish Ambassador entertaining at an official function. His subjects would think he was favoring Spain. He may have supported her if she had still been single or her husband didn't formally represent a foreign country that was not on the best terms with England.

“There will be gossip about me if I do nothing but sit in a corner and twiddle my thumbs. It is an annoying fact of life. I shall not sing, then, but oh how I wish I could!” Sophia clasped her hands over her bosom melodramatically, “Now my poor little heart is breaking, Your Majesty!” She returned his wink and grinned impishly. “If you would favor me with a single dance, I think it will mend from pure joy."

Frances listened as the other girl gave her explanation and what she had thought seemed to be true - a daughter of a Wealthy Landowner - as yet unnamed - up from the Country with Mother and Aunt in tow. Ah yes. Here too she had been correct in thinking it her first time at Court hence the desire to wear the fact that her Father had money and advertise it to all and sundry. No real harm in it yet Frances hopes it did not have a reverse affect - Money was the end all be all and there were many at Court who'd take it however it was offered. Perhaps she should keep her eye on this new arrival?

"Well you have picked a good time Lady Tamsin - tis a rare thing to have a Christmas Court in London you see. More oft than not tis Richmond or Hampton and on occassion Windsor but this year we are over-flowing!"

Her smile was for them all and then an exchange of partners was done with her to Lord Langdon and the other to Lord Chichester who was quick to offer an arm. There was something not quite right but she could not put it into words. After this dance she would try again to have him to herself - suggest they go away from the crowded Hall and find a place better suited for just the two of them.

Perhaps the Portrait Gallery? It was close enough. Well not THAT far .....

She turned to Lord Langdon and gave a small curtsey her smile firmly in place allowing him to lead her away. Her dancing was faultless and if the Gentleman offered it she would answer what she could yet he might also detect that she was somewhat lost in thought.

Juliana and Duncan

If Duncan had known that his sex life was being dissected by Juliana’s thoughts he would have been appalled. But he didn’t have a clue, so he played the gracious host. She was, after all, visiting high nobility or low royalty, so the Lowlander felt that he had a duty to perform.

They arrived at the dance floor just in time, and began dancing in step with the music. The young lady was quite accomplished, much more so than Duncan, who was merely adequate. She held herself with dignity, although she would smile warmly when the dance drew them together. Is she showing interest in someone she just met? I must be tired, surely seeing things where they are not!

“The pleasure was all mine, princess. You are an excellent dancer. I was merely an adequate partner. As for Dundarg, yes, I know him. He is a friend, in fact, almost family”. Lord Dundarg? Hmm… is she in the habit of using higher titles than what should be used? Or is she not aware of the subtle differences between Hi Grace’s peerages and the Empire’s? It was probably this last, the Scotch decided, letting the matter drop from his mind. “We fought together in the Continent”, he finalized.

A thought occurred to the viscount. “Would you mind joining me in greeting the Duke of Buckingham and wishing him a Happy New Year?”

Duncan had wanted to pay his respects to the Duke ever since he arrived, but one thing had let to another from the moment he had set foot in the room. But introducing Juliana to His Grace would also accomplish two things. First, he would introduce a young beauty to Buckingham, who was known to have an eye for beauty. Second, it would give the princess an introduction to a very important man in the English court. The Scotch peer thought neither of them would mind, but proper form had to be followed.

Charles, George, Frances, and Tamsin changing partners and dancing

Tamsin had heard of the other palaces that Lady Frances mentioned, though she had never seen any of them. If she was able to attend court regularly from now on, perhaps she would eventually visit them all. The prospect was quite exciting. “Even with all the people here, it is quieter than my family's London residence. It was vacant for many years and it's currently being renovated and modernized. There's always a lot of banging and clamoring going on during the day.”

Lord Chichester offered her his arm, and she smiled as she lay her small hand lightly on his sleeve. “I would be delighted,” she replied. She was glad that he had agreed to Lord Langdon's suggestion that they change partners. As they headed to the dance floor, she saw her mother and aunt glancing in their direction. “Ah-oh,” she whispered. “My mother and aunt are looking at us. They probably think that you and Lord Langdon both want to court me.” Tamsin sounded amused at the prospect. “They may ask me to introduce them to both of you if I can't convince them that you only danced with me out of politeness.”

She grinned up at him. “I told my mother that you mentioned that your sister had a large hound to protect her and asked if I could have one. She wanted me to ask you if you know where we could get a puppy who will grow up to be loyal to me.”

Tamsin danced more confidently and gracefully this time, although she was still a bit nervous. She was afraid to engage in conversation for fear of losing her concentration and embarrassing herself. As the last strains of music fluttered away, she curtsied to her charming partner. “Thank you, my lord.” Her face was flushed becomingly and she was a bit out of breath. Dancing twice in such quick succession had drained more energy than she had thought it would.

Anne, Francis and Dorothea

Anne crooked an eyebrow towards the Villiers male, and that was her reply enough.

"Then I must thank you my lady." Dorothea returned, a little surprised.

"No thanks are necessary," Anne meanwhile purred, "though of course I shall now insist that you allow me to be the first to show you around the gardens come spring. Unless, Lord Kingston, you are welcome to join us." The young Countess was still working Francis out, was he interested in Dorothea? Yet he seemed too flirtish to go for her type - and too young to be yet thinking of settling down, perhaps he was up to some other sort of mischeif? Anne had dedided she too wanted to be involved.

Meanwhile the youngster proved that Oxford educations did not prepare gentlemen for Whitehall. Bradley should have remained long enough to have heard Francis good advice but already, like an over eager puppy he was hurring away to chase his tail.

"He does seem young for his age." agreed Dorothea, of whom the opposite might be said.

Anne tipped her head and smiled to the younger woman, "I dare say his upbringing has been too sheltered." her gaze swung to include Francis then, "Though his elder brother seems to have managed well with the innocent and gullible stance, so perhaps it is merely their families modus operandi?"

The eyes of their group turned to watch Bradley approach Thomas Lennard, provide an awkward bow and then saying something quickly.

"I think I can hear what he's saying." Anne amused, "Ah er, excuse me sir, but what were you doing on the night of the 20th of August?" Anne spoke pretenting to be Bradleys voice.

"Your turn." With a chuckle turned the narration of the thither scene to Francis, just as Sussex pulled a face and begun to reply.

Louis and Shrewsbury

"What a silent fish you are," Shrewsbury chuckled as he said so little, she had the distinct (and delicious!) feeling she was making him uncomfortable. "But we'll have so much more trouble talking on the dancefloor..." she teased him further still even as she acquiesced and offered her hand to be escorted there.

It could do her no harm to be seen with Louis, while he on the other hand...

There was still no sign of Heneage anywhere, though the elder brother Daniel, having been cornered by one of courts matrons was currently dancing with a woman twice his age.

Spying Louis near, Daniel made an optimistic motion to his cousin, it was a suggestion that on the next pirouette they swap partners mid dance. Still it was a lucky-dip sort of offer, with Louis angle he was unable to see just who he’s be swapping Anna Talbot away for?!

Francis & Dorothea w/Anne

"A gentleman is always pleased to escort two young ladies, but it stands to reason that it is the ladies who make such a decision. I am happy to protect you from maze monsters and undesirables if you both wish it."

The young and newly minted baron was behind enough on some family details that he did not know or recall where Lady Sussex's proclivities lay. It was not a detail he would usually pay much attention too, for their family was rather replete with the gender-breaking and sexually open, so such details were rarely surprising enough to be notable.

As to poor Bradley, Francis sighed. A chuckle quickly returned at the joke of the family Modus Operandi.

"Do not tease of it, for what would they say about the Modus Operandi of our family?" He could not help a titter that he had to hide behind his hand at the many possibilities. None so tame as the innocent and gullible.

He kept his spare hand there as she mimicked Bradley's part of the conversation. He smiled at Dorothea, keeping tabs on her reactions. He did not wish her to feel uncomfortable.

When challenged to do his own mimicry, Francis giggled at the irony. "This is not fair, my lady," he claimed, but in reality it was not fair to her. He had no idea which night that was, but he could not help but do his best impression of a deeper voice than his own, for every man had a deeper voice than Francis. "Boy, I shall have you know that I was building sculptures on the beach for His Majesty on that evening with a dashing blond fellow." Then he pressed his lips together to hold in a bark of a laugh, making his nostrils flare some as he tried to hold his breath at the same time.

Beverley & Peg

"All will be well," Beverley said of the present. "I am always happy to help."

One's duties did not begin and end with a clear line. With royalty one did whatever one must do to keep them happy and ease their burdens. That, of course, meant being gracious to common law wives.

"Indeed, I offered to bring my young nephew to His Highness to help encourage your daughter to ride, and it pleased him. We shall both be there."

They arrived at the dancefloor at the moment and then joined in the dance. The young viscount was a practiced dancer but of no extra artistry. Having shared dances together any times before, it was an easy activity, having no anxieties for him.

Once it came to a close, Beverley asked, "Shall I escort you back to His Highness?"

Duncan and Juliana

Juliana silently speculated about the sex lives of everybody she met, so Duncan was in good company. She was a sensual woman and her mind was often occupied with hedonistic thoughts. In fact, one reason she gushed over Lord Melville's dancing was that complimenting a gentleman on something he didn't do spectacularly was a proven way to lure him into bed. He was a competent dancer, but she'd danced with more skilled partners … as well as some who had trod on her toes or tripped over their own two feet. There had been one gentleman of particularly high status in Sweden who had bumped into her and fell on his arse in the middle of the floor.

“Thank you,” she replied to his own complement. Unfortunately, he appeared to know his own limitations and flattery was not going to get her everywhere this time. As for Douglas, he had introduced himself as Baron Dundarg, and so that was how she referred to him. The two Scots must know each other extremely well if one referred to the other as 'almost family.' But she supposed that fighting together could make men as close as brothers. They shared the same dangers and were responsible for keeping each other safe.

“I found him quite charming,” she said. “Is he here tonight? I wouldn't mind dancing with him again this week.” In truth, she would like to do much more than dance with him. They had flirted wickedly during the previous ball, but their plans to visit an inn afterward had never come to fruition.

Lord Melville's question brought her ruminations to an end. She had not yet met the Duke of Buckingham, but she had heard a lot about him and was curious as to which parts were true. “That would be lovely. I have not yet made his acquaintance.” She smiled playfully. “Lead on, my lord.”

Since arriving at the ball, Frances Stuart, the Duchess of Richmond, had spent about half of her time catching up on the latest gossip with her many friends, and the other half dancing. From a distance, she still looked stunning, dressed in a gown of purple silk liberally embroidered with gold thread and dripping in beads and jewels. It was only when one was within speaking distance that one could see the smallpox scars marring her once-beautiful face.

Presently, she had just finished dancing with a handsome middle-aged lord who had performed quite admirably but didn't speak much. She suspected that he had only asked her to dance to get away from his wife, who was said to be a nagging harpy. Frances had only danced with him to see if she could covertly learn whether he was cheating on said nagging harpy. Unfortunately, he had not been interested in conversation and had disappeared into the crowd as soon as the music died away.

Plucking a glass of wine from a servant's tray, she sipped it as her eyes meandered around the hall, looking for someone interesting to talk to.

Beverley & Peg

"Perfect," Peg declared when Beverley disclosed that he and his nephew would attend. "It shall go well then. I am so relieved."

Her motherly obligations complete, Peg could now focus on having fun for herself. "No need to take me back to him." Lord knew she spent enough time with him, mostly ignored for his many agendas. "No, I enjoy these balls to see how many dances I can collect with but a glance," she revealed. Not very welcome in the proper circle, she found herself left to deal with those on the fringe of society, unless they were soldiers that knew her or those seeking the favor of her lover. "I may go find Nell. You should go and have some fun Robert. You are acting far too seriuous for a New Year Eve's ball. Go ask a stranger or two for a dance. Find someone laughing and join in. There are only a few days a year where you can feel more liberated."

George & Tamsin

She was no Francis. George made up for her nerves on the dancefloor by confidant lead, while his thoughts were elsewhere. He vaguely wondered which of these ladies was Pembroke’s sister, he vaguely wondered where Norfolk’s son was, he vaguely wondered if there was going to be desert served later.

Her comment on suitors had his attention return however.

Georges eyebrows rose with surprise, but sight of her reminded him of how young she was. "I think you are safe to dance and not have talk of the banns afterwards." he answered on that.

Following the dance, he was able to reply to her question of Dogs. "A puppy is no use for protection, but is more likely to lead you into trouble as you chase after it running this way or that. You shall need a dog full grown and already trained. I can hunt out the address of the hounds keeper I purchased my sisters dog from." He sensibly replied. "Do you wish for me to return you to your Aunt now?"

Louis with Shrewsbury

"At balls such as this, I much prefer to observe and listen than speak," Louis offered with sly suggestion. It was to be a night in which many made a fool of themselves, or engaged in scandal. "Though I could say that my present company was so charming that it disarmed me. That would be partially true too."

It was Daniel, not Hen, that found his way to Basildon's side. It seemed as though he wanted to exchange partners. "It seems as though you charmed another admirer," he offered the Countess as he assented to exchange partners. "Au revoir." Relishing the risk, he was only too happy to learn the identity of his new partner.

Cordelia

"Yes," Arlington agreed quietly as his eyes roved the crowd to make note of people he did not know. Cordelia made mention of his staff, which caused him to grip it all the tighter. Some had suggested that he leave his white staff in his office, but he preferred to show it off as a badge of honor and importance.

"Indeed, I have been ever loyal to the King," he declared, conveniently forgetting how he had allied with the Country Party against the King when he felt that the King was not grateful enough. "A turning of the wheel is always possible." He needed to do something, like find a new mistress for the King. That always did wonders for the King's attention and gratitude.

Noticing a servant dropping a tray to the ground, splashing wine on nearby courtiers, Henry was visibly upset. "If you would excuse me, I have a servant to berate."

Before she had a chance to answer some distrubance occured which drew his attention away and so it was that she found herself alone once again. She had seen nothing of her son John and even the small hope that he might have at least paid his 'respects' but had not and she could hardly blame him yet that hurt was still there. She would always be his Mother no matter and twas perhaps foolish of her to think he might change come the New Year.

Now she felt drained and the excitement of the Event had worn off. She had no reason to linger but if a friendly face - if such could be had at Court - came calling then she'd be content but then take her leave.

She wonders what had become of Lady Chatham ....

George and Tamsin

Tamsin chuckled. “I hope you're right, but you don't know my mother and my aunt. I think they're really hoping that I'll marry a Duke, though, so maybe you and Lord Langdon will be safe from their meddling.”

He didn't answer her question about dogs until the dance had concluded. She had not known that you could buy one that was already trained to protect its owner. “If you can provide the address, you will have my eternal gratitude.”

When he asked if she wanted him to take her to her aunt, Tamsin shook her head vehemently. Her mother didn't know that she had been attacked and robbed, and the two women were still together. If Lord Chichester said something about it, her mother might report it to her father and she would have to leave court immediately. “She might get the wrong idea about us,” she said. “You can just leave me here, I guess.” Her voice sounded uncertain, as if she didn't really want to be left alone.

Francis & Dorothea w/Anne

"I have heard of the Maze." Dorothea's eyes alit with interest at it's mention.

"Then I formally request your protection." Anne meanwhile chuckled in reply to Frances; this 'one day in spring' outing held potential. "Although I cannot confirm if the dangers of the maze might come from without or within. A little mystery stimulates the dare-devil in us all don’t you agree?"

Dorothea could see that Anne was flirting with Francis, but did not know what she might do about that.

"Touche!" Anne laughed at his pert reply. There had been a time when a younger and naive Anne had cringed and tried rebuff that reputation away from herself. That had been before she'd learned there was far more enjoyment in embracing it - these days it was even a source of pride.

Then there was the game with unwitting puppet Bradley. This little play act struck the German girl as interesting - she listened and gave a little laugh of the novelty if not understanding quite what was funny of what was said.

A blonde gentleman, and sculptures? He is talking of himself surely, what did you lads get up to hmm?, thought Anne as she put two and two together - but before she could take up her role as Thomas Lennard's voice again Dorothy piped up.

"May I go next, may I?"

A nod was given her from Anne

Adopting a deep voice Dorothea begun to provide voice for Bradley "That is a very cultured activity - " but Dorothy had to stop because the Earl yonder was bent over laughing at whatever Bradley had said. Yonder Earl finally straightened and sought around the room before spotting Frances with the ladies, a distant mock-salute was given at the set up, before Lennard continued talking again.

Dorothy did her best to continue

"Almost as cultured as Lord Kingston."

and then she stopped because Thomas was trying to say something else, ie it was Francis turn.

Louis with Shrewsbury

By her perceptions he was distracted, very much so, though not with her. A woman knew. His lip service was cliche and weak at best. Yet before she could be miffed at that he admitted as much too! She laughed, "Well I must say Lord Basildon that your 'partial' is still preferable to many others 'utmost' - still I am certain to keep you in my sights this eve now, so as to see where, or might that be 'with whom', your fire currently burns."

The dance begun, and when Shrewsbury discovered another sought her out she was content - she sent a pair of playful air-kisses farewell to Louis as she seamlessly joined the elder brother Finch...

A mid-dance exchange

While the older lady who was turned into Louis's perfectly synchronised steps was rather less polished at an impromtu exchange. "Oh my goodness, what just happened?!" It was one of courts beloved matrons, Margaret Le Despencer, Lady Brooke. "Lord Basildon." she was none so addled to not recognise him however, after all they were related this way or that. "Well how do you do."

George and Tamsin

"Ah." It was a relief of a sort as Tamsin said that her Aunt and Mother would wed her to Duke if possible.

He nodded of it and then thought to comment, "There are alas few eligible Dukes, besides the fact that most Ducal families have their children’s matches settled when they are children still." The practical Earl felt it important that people did not delude themselves, "If you wish I can speak to your Mother and Aunt and explain the reality of your situation to them."

With a nod he confirmed he'd provide the address. These were not specifically guard dogs, but they were house trained and would not cause more trouble. "Mirtel adored her dog..." his eyes grew distant a moment, he was sad that she had left on such poor terms. For all that had happened between them she was his sister still.

It was perhaps this moment of sentimentality that spurred him to then suggest, "Then let us return to Lord Langdon and Lady Frances. It did seem you were getting along with her well."

George did want to see a few people tonight himself, but he'd sacrifice some few more minutes to see the ladies settled. So it was he moved forwards with Tamsin looking for Charles and Frances