JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

The New Years Eve Ball- Xmas 1677

Blackguard

Francis & Dorothea

"It was actually fairly civilized before," he added with a grin, not really aware that he had made her uncomfortable. He was not astute enough to know a laugh of relief from her. "That part does not make for good stories, though."

It was always the out of the ordinary that people wished to hear of, not the same thing they themselves had experienced over and over. One's mundane tales were often left behind unless they were all one had. That was Francis' experience.

One day Dorothea could tell the story of Master Bradley's amusingly frightening turn of German phrase!

As to the fireworks, Francis shook his head, it was quite the hot topic as a young lady joined them too. She looked familiar. He was lost for a moment about if they had met or if it was something else.

"If I was attending the king tonight, I would probably know, but alas I must content myself with attending a rare gem of a lady; even my royal master would agree far prettier company though..." Hopefully that would deter the boy from taking congenial from the lady as being another invitation.

Turning to Dorothea, he asked, "Perhaps you have heard? Being in close company with the Queen?" Did one avoid fireworks when pregnant? The mystique of women was striking again.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two Scots seeking Ellen Doolittle

“I am sorry Cat is down with the ague”. A momentary shadow of worry crossed the Lowlander’s face. He had seen death from up close before, and not in the battlefield, but in bed. He did not fear bullet nor blade, but sickness? That was another story entirely. “And I will be pleased to see them too, my friend”. They were all like sisters to him.

MacGregor, why did you have to die?

Duncan’s eyes followed Douglas’ and noticed Buckingham. Perhaps I should pay my respects to his grace. It would have to wait a bit, though.

Then there was talk of Shona. “She is not unlike my wife in that regard. Ophelia is the reason my library is well stocked. I have given Shona permission to borrow books from it in the past, but I never checked to see if she has actually done it”. Perhaps she borrowed the Histories of Herodotus I was looking for this afternoon. That would solve the mystery of their absence. “If her mind is as keen as it seems to be, perhaps we can find her suitable company that will stimulate it further. Let me think it over. It would be a waste to limit her to womanly pursuits if her intellect is gifted”. A pause. “Do you know what type of books she prefers to read?”

A totally scandalous thought in many quarters, but perhaps not as much in His Grace Charles’ court. She would never be accepted in the Royal Society, of course, on account of being a woman, but perhaps she would gain respect for her wit and her keen insights if that was what God had blessed her with. Only time would tell.

When Douglas agreed to be introduced to Ellen, the Lowlander smiled. “Come then. Last time I saw her, she was around there…” he pointed vaguely as he started walking, with the intention to find his sister in law.

Rowland found her amusing, exactly as she had wished. He was quick with the comebacks also and shared her proclivity for drink too. In truth Caroline actually liked Melville much more but it was men like Rowland that could satisfy her urge for a good time, at least for awhile. Besides, Melville was married...make that happily married. So far Caroline was unwilling to damage a successful marriage by even trying to go for some illicit affair. And finally she would have wager Melville would have none of that either, he was so damned honorable.

He admitted to being thought of as 'full of hot air' which drew a grin from her. Though he did profess a great depth of character, of that Caroline was inclined to doubt. He was interested in her for the same reasons she was in him, a good time and little else. She did not blame him, at least they both had no illusions.

"Well, leaving aside our obvious character flaws....perceived or true......at least we look impressive together, do we not? Let us stroll. But I warn you. I have not danced my fill quite yet. I will want another dance or two before the evening is over," she pointed out as they begin to walk slowly eying the crowd and being eyed.

Ellen

Her brother-in-law had removed himself and she, after making sure the older Lady was now recovered, had taken her leave as well. The Hall was filled to the rafters or so it seemed to her as she walked calmly and her smile was often seen as something caught her eye or was overheard and it was possible for many an eye to at last 'see' that Doolittle's eldest had merit after all.

Finding two recently vacated chairs set at an angle to the room yet still offering views out to most she sat, took a goblet and drank, one foot tapping benerath her full skirts in tempo with the muscians as they played from the Gallery. She had danced a few times with those Gentlemen familiar to her but as of yet had not seen Lt Turnbull of which she was surprised, but supposed he must have drawn a Duty that kept him away.

Her brother-in-law had said he would seek her again and so she was content for now.

Ranelagh & Nicolette

"Somewhere, I am sure," Ranelagh replied, looking around the immediate area for a moment. "He is wearing green, he told me, which truly shan't make finding him any easier!"

Green was a popular holiday color, after all.

"The same way the highest peers create a stable of the ambitious underneath them," Ranelagh said, as if he believed both men and women equally difficult to rule and that it was surely not a task beyond her.

He followed her example and downed his drink. She then provided instructions and pointed out her closest friend.

"I shall rise to the challenge, and I always enjoy a pretty lady's company. A friend of yours promises to be good company."

It took a few minutes of maneuvering around to find him, but Ranelagh soon pointed out Denbigh to her. "There is my dear double-earl," he added. "I cannot see who the gentleman is that he is with." From their angle, the other gentleman had his back to them.

Clockworkers Inc

The lad paused, blinked, then flashed a grin, "I'll take that under advisement sir." and off he dashed, counting his good fortune that the gentleman had discovered another distraction other than an interrogation.

"Boys today hmm?" Jonathan purred as his muse let the lad go free, he too was acutely aware that they had lost the (somewhat) monitoring company of Shrewsbury. "Why when I was that age..." he paused, his eyes to suggest "the wine cellar perhaps?" and then continuing, "I'd have dawdled as long as possible in your devilishly thrilling company."

Louis and Shrewsbury

"Must one exclude the other?" She laughed musically, her eyes shone under his compliment and thoughts drifted to consider the latter more than the former.

"It is pleasing to see your silvered tongue has not tarnished while you've been set upon the dusty shelves of bureaucracy. Such a waste, and I told everyone so. Imagine my joy then when my little birds told me that you attended a libertine party this very week. Are the winds of change upon you with the new year?"

"Such fevered and passionate wind, if I rightly recall..."

Charles & Jonathan

Charles smirked slowly, eye shimmering delightedly.

"Flatterer," he murmured softly, before shaking his head and continuing. "But yes, one can only hope that they are not representative of the breed."

Stretching languidly, Charles grinned at Jonathan.

"The wine cellar sounds capital. I find that I have quite a thirst. Lead on."

(OOC: Sidethread?)

Francis &Co.

"Then the tales of privateers have been embellished." Dorothy replied, "perhaps that too is in deference to the wishes of most in the audience. Though on that count, I'd rather hear of the mundane honesty of things, I've not much taste for exaggeration." she gave a small shrug at her admission, perhaps that dubbed her as boring to his mind, it was what it was.

The group grew.

"Anne Palmer, Lady Lennard." the newest softly supplied, her attention swinging to the young German as Francis deferred verdict on the topic.

"Well none that I have heard of." Dorothea supplied, smiling towards the other lady while trying to place her.

"Well that is too bad," Bradley replied with growing confidence as his topic seemed to be quite popular. "Perhaps the Worchester boys will do an impromptu for court again. When my brother told me about the Fireworks last summer I really wished I'd been there too. I bet that was a real hoot." he grinned and for a moment looked alot like his elder sibling.

"I heard about the excitement also." Anne replied in that quiet knowing way she had, eyes sliding towards Francis, then back to Dorothea.

Caroline and an admirer

His handsome features were relaxed and easy going, "We look damned delicious together..." Rowland flashed a grin and glanced about.

They seemed to have an unspoken understanding, one that suited him quite perfectly. He did not wish for a needy girl yearning for marriage - Caroline was self contained and a little nymph in bed too boot!

"Tut tut, do you not think I've every intent to utterly exhaust you by the end of the evening." he looked back into her eyes, with half a mind to steal her away for another taste right then and there. Hmm, and given their fine pairing, perhaps she felt the same?

Leaning closer, he peered down her neckline again, where those two small but perfectly formed mammaries surely ached for a good stuck. "I want to taste you again..." his breath was warm and moist upon her neck, "... feel your nipples grow hot and engorge between my lips."

... Continued from this thread.

As she entered the Banquet Hall, Sophia handed her cloak to a servant and then immediately looked upward to admire the painting on the ceiling. She'd had a lot of time to study it this morning but it still fascinated her. On a whim, she whirled in a circle, her glittering rose-gold skirts billowing around her. After that pleasurable interlude with the intriguing Lord Arundel, she felt as if she were walking on air. Not even Esteban's somber demeanor was going to ruin her happiness tonight.

And speaking of her husband, had he arrived yet? She scanned the room for his dark forbidding figure, intending to join him if she spotted him. The petite blonde figured that he would expect her to check in with him before doing anything else. She felt like dancing the rest of the night away and perhaps he should be her first partner.

Watching Sophia

She really was a minx! He'd had a clear line of site as first her lover then she had emerged with the former not lingering which was no surprise and herself wandering back out into the light of the Hall. There she did a childish twirl which puzzled him and yet she was after all only ten and six ...

Moving with an easy grace he drifted in and out of the Company his gaze never leaving her and with his practiced eye he knew she was still wrapped up in the after effects from her tryst and he guessed if he were to approach he would find her relaxed and welcoming but that was not to his paln and so he stayed a distance away.

She seemed to be looking for someone - could it be the lover or the husband - but as of yet that fellow was unseen so he would observe her until he had a better idea as to what he was up aganist. A Spainard with a nasty temper was not what he wanted to encounter! He would be easy enough to spot amongst all the fairness.

She was beautiful and his groin twitched and the thought of her naked beneath him only made his need greater and a hand reached out and caught the arm of a serving girl drawing her into the semi darkness uncaring of resistance or agreement. His need was all powerful and soon she was backed into a wall his hand over her mouth as he worked his body until release gripped him. It had taken no more than five minutes and he was done adjusting himself and moving away uncaring of the girl he had just used.

Drink was plentiful and his thirst was great and his eyes sought the Prize but could not see her. She had escaped then! A smirk graced his mouth.

No matter. Time was after all on his side.

George, Charles, Frances, and Tamsin

Aware that there was an undercurrent but with no information being added Frances was left to look between the two Gentlemen and the still not introduced girl. She would ask George about her once they were alone.

His extended arm came at the right moment and with a smile she gave a small curtesy to the Earl adding that she looked forward to their dance and a small incline of her head to the girl - who it seemed was most anxious to dance right away and would no doubt turn her back and leave!

"I will happily do so My Lord." She replied to him and placed her hand on his arm letting him lead them away.

George and Frances Alone

"Why did no one offer an introduction of her to me? Is there a reason - I felt very odd not to have it and I could have supplied my own I suppose yet there were two of you Gentlemen present ..."

Her low whispered words might escape him for it was much a crowd that had to be moved through to get to wehere there was dancing and Frances herself now thinks it may have sounded to much like a complaint. Well it was but she did not want him to begin to think she was like that.

Her eyes fell with some worry in them upon his own features and she wondered what made him seem so stern of a sudden - was he upset with her, with Langdon, the girl or was it another matter - that of Baptist May?

She would have to wait for any answers for once the area for dancing was gained it would be impossible for them to have a civil conversation and she so wanted to know what was going on. She prayed that he would not shut her out for up to this point they had been so honest with each other in sharing feelings and thoughts.

Indeed it would hurt her terribly to think that he was capable of that.

Ranelagh & Nicolette

"Which green? There are so many shades..." Nicolette looked about also, as though assisting Richard with his search, using it an excuse to place hand upon his arm. "Is that him?" she pointed in a vague direction, finding no immediate need nor inclination to then let go. In the close proximity, was that his fragrance she discovered? Heavens, he was adorable in so many ways!

"A coterie." Nicci nodded placing the French term upon it. "It should be filled with ones who's company one enjoys surely - like a bag full of sweets and each one delectable. Shall our own Coteries overlap do you think?" She flashed a smile, giving his arm a further squeeze before letting it go.

Giggling at his 'rising to it' phrase she clapped with her own relish of meeting someone new. "Neither shall be able to resist us, I am sure! Let us gather a kiss each from them. Ah, but it would be too easy for us to initiate, so instead our challenge shall be to evoke them to be the one proactive."

And then he found his friend, whom he called a 'double' Earl' (a phrase which caught the girls attention, but was quickly dismissed again for really she had her future all mapped out with a 'single' Earl before her). "Oh my..."

She tried to look past the man whom Denbigh was talking to (who made a better wall than window) "that other fellow seems intent upon impressing him. I suppose that is the plight stoically suffered by double earls near and far." she flashed another smile with her jest, and opportuning to steal a kiss from her current she bade, "Good luck!"

Louis and Shrewsbury

"Attending a libertine affair does not make one a libertine any more than missing it makes you proper," Louis tried to argue. "I do not recall seeing you there. Perhaps you were at church?" he jested.

"No winds of change," he countered, not wanting Anne to tattle to Lucinda. "I was merely an observer there, the hostess being a good friend of my cousin, who needed me as a chaperone," he concocted. "And what of you? Are there any winds of change for the new year?"

Charles and Tamsin parting ways with George and Frances

Tamsin's eyes lit up when Lord Chichester offered to make some inquiries. He seemed to have some experience in solving crimes, since he had apparently caught a murderer. Lord Langdon readily accepted his offer of help. “Thank you, my lord,” she chimed in. “You already have the sketches and if either of you need more information, just ask.”

Charles and Tamsin

As she and Lord Langdon strolled toward the dance floor, he inquired as to the respectability of his letter. “My aunt didn't ask to see it,” she assured him. His missive had arrived at the residence she shared with her mother. George's had been sent to her aunt's house. “Lord Chichester sent her a letter explaining what had happened. She was very angry at me and told me that she would rather me answer both Lord Chichester's letter and your own at the ball tonight, presumably where she can keep an eye on me.”

Tamsin glanced around the area but didn't see either her aunt or her mother. It felt as if someone was watching her, though, so it was probably them. “She made me promise that I wouldn't go anywhere alone and that I would stay away from the weapon shop. Lord Chichester offered to go there for me, and I just told him that I would draw a picture of the weapon I want to commission after I sketch the roses on your dagger.

“I may need help drawing the sword I wish to give my father too. I'll probably see if I can find a book about weapons in the library. When would be a good time to sketch the roses?”

Meanwhile on the other side of the hall ...

Neither of them noticed the tall well-dressed man who observed their every move from across the room as he pretended to be interested in the prattle of the lady standing beside him. Hie quarry appeared to be heading towards the dance floor. “Would you like to dance?” he asked his companion, interrupting her in mid-sentence.

“Of course,” she replied. He ignored her incessant babble as they moved toward the area set aside for dancers, thinking instead of how to make sure that they were positioned next to Lord Langdon and the Faraday girl for the dance.

Beverley

"Of course we can, my dear. I never thought anything else. I wish all to know how pleased I am with you."

Mary beamed at the sweet compliment of her husband. "As I am pleased with you too my lord."

Off they went to dance, as she requested, and the young wife enjoyed the opportunity to move gracefully with her husband while surrounded by a throng of other courtiers similarly motivated to enjoy some proper energetic amusement. When it was done, Mary thanked her husband, indicating a hope that they might dance together again that very evening.

"Yes, I shall be proactive," she promised. If Beverley were to search near the King, he would see Rupert beside Peg Hughes. It was clear that his leg would not accommodate a dance so he was likely encouraging her to dance with another.

The Chancellor was not with the King. Rather he was off to a side, chatting with another jurist about topics that had no place at a merry holiday party.

Beverley was still in the bliss of being recently wed. They had not been together enough to get annoyed, and now that they both had their space and their finery back at his father's house, the bliss was likely to linger.

"If you require me by your side, I shall be," he said. Whatever might bolster her confidences and increase their odds of success. He was quite logical in that way. "Just say so if you ever feel so." He nodded his seriousness.

"Perhaps if I please Mrs. Hughes with a dance, you might prevail upon His Highness to introduce you to Lady Blount? After the dance, if I cannot have a word with the Lord Chancellor, I shall meet you?" he whispered (loudly, for the room was loud) in her ear. "Or would you rather I be with you to speak to Lady Blount?" He could change plans of attack easily and find friends for her to speak to while he got a closer look at the Lord Chancellor and his companion.

Cordelia with Arlington

He had she sensed been much distracted by his Office and so she would try to ease his mind however that may be. She had liked him from that first conversation in the summer but had no real opportunity to engage him again until now.

"What ever you have will be fine. I am easy to please tonight."

She smiled across to him as the servant he had called for delivered the libations and with his Staff of Office held proudly he set the pace. It was crowded and so the pace was stroll-like which pleased her yet conversation might well be impossible above the noise.

"You have been keeping well I hope?" She begins. "We have not spoken for some time yet I think you have been rather put upon now for Court is filled to the top and now with a Lady of Misrule - who is Foreign as well so no one really knows what she will or won't do yet did we not have a glimpse some months past..."

Here a pause to sip and maneuver past small clusteres of Courtiers who made way for them as soon as His identy became apparent.

For herself she had no real motive other than one of companionship for he was married and his affectation of a plaster to cover his scared nose was, distracting at best, yet he had showed a plesant side of himself and she was left curious as to what type of man he might be.

"And how is your Countess? Is she here this night as well? I do not have her acquaintance so must ask you."

She was making general conversation which would allow him to give the simplest of replies or to offer more - she would much like to have his wife's favor for in that might come greater things.

Ambition did not dwindle away simply because of Age.

Francis, Dorothea, Anne, Bradley

"I do not know if I would say embellished, at least in terms of my own adventures, but surely one only tells the tales that are interesting. It all might seem more exciting by selection thereby, but truly not be. A story of days spent reading in one's cabin is not truly a story," Francis reasoned.

There was little time to philosophize with their growing group.

The topic was a fine one for small talk, to be sure, but Francis had little interest in such things. He was not surprised when Dorothea said that she did not know either.

Francis had not recognized the other lady until he heard her name.

"I think, my lady, we are cousins," he said, with a little grin, wondering if she knew who he was or not.

He gave the Whitehurst lad an expectant look. The lowest ranked of the company, thankfully, was responsible for giving the introductions. It was a responsibility he was thankful he now escaped as a baron rather than a baronet!

He chuckled at the thought of the Worcester boys, and then said, "I doubt Lord Worcester impressed himself so feebly that there would be a repeat of that."

There had been some talk going around that the lord's son had been made to sit in the Presence Chamber for some long time before apologizing to the King in person.

"Ah, yes, well my young friends, in the world of proper conversation I believe what happens in Brighton should stay in Brighton," Francis said, putting on his best pedantic voice, lowering his tenor a few ridiculous measures. A baritone did not suit him but was appropriately comical with his own youthful look and blond curls.

Nicolette & Ranelagh

"Overlap, indeed, for how could they not?"

Their circles were narrowing in on each other already.

The Irish earl grinned at the challenge of a kiss, quite certain he could manage a kiss from most ladies in a room full of mistletoe.

"Your kiss shall be my luck," he returned, a seasoned flirt. "And you need not my luck, but I send it with you nevertheless." He gave her another kiss and then with a saucy wave sauntered in Lady Kendishall's direction.

Cordelia

"Other nights you are not so easy to please?," Bennet replied with some humor as he selected a French Claret to sample. Cordelia was given her choice of wines as well.

"I have been well enough. Yes, this Lady of Misrule ... ." He stopped himself to sip. "Her selection was most ... irregular." Cordelia had the eye of a court veteran. "She and her cousin are enjoying increased favor these days." He said nothing further on that. His own favor with the King was wavering.

"My lady wife is ill. My daughter Isabella is with her." This was his only daughter and already betrothed to one of the King's bastards. "The physician says she will be fine."

Wishing to move to a cheerier topic he asked "and what of you? You seem well. Is your family well?"

Charles and Tamsin

It seemed that Chichester had been most accommodating to Lady Tamsin. Was he sweet on her, or did he onserve the massive amount of jewelry that she wore this evening? It was so noticeable that it drew one's eyes away from the lady's natural features.

"Your aunt is right. It is not safe for a lady alone, especially when you wear such expensive jewelry." It gave him an excuse to appraise the pieces." He had the dagger with him tonight. He had thought it might help draw the ghosts, if there were such things. It was the same with the love letters he had hidden in his coat pockets. The hours were winding down to that event, as well as his meeting with Davina.

"You could come to my house, but that would not be proper. I could come to your house but your aunt might get the wrong idea. Perhaps you can take a coach to Somerset Palace. I am the Steward there, and it is an outpost for my soldiers, so we will be quite safe there. I can bring the dagger. Perhaps Monday or Tuesday?" he offered. "You could draw the roses then."

Beverley

Her husband had been dutiful in offering to stay with her, but Mary wanted her husband to be proud of her, so she could not accept, even though the prospect of ingratiating herself to Lady Blount was daunting. "No no husband. Go dance with Mrs. Hughes. I shall be fine. Let me see what I can accomplish on my own." Beyond saying hello, Mary was not exactly sure how she might be able to carry on a conversation beyond a few sentences. What did they have in common? Would she see through Mary's plan to join the Queen's retinue? "I shall be fine," she assured Beverley again.

Ellen being approached by Douglas and Duncan

After moving through the crowd, Duncan finally located Ellen. It had taken a bit, as she had left the spot she had previously been at, but now that he found his sister in law, Duncan smiled contentedly. She was sitting on one of two chairs, no doubt waiting for him to report back to her.

“Baron Dundarg”, Duncan said to Douglas, “may I introduce Mistress Doolittle, Sir Cedric Doolittle’s eldest daughter, and my favorite sister-in-law?” He paused for a moment, so Ellen and Douglas could meet gazes. “Mistress Doolittle, may I introduce my very good friend, Baron Dundarg, Lord Lieutenant of Aberdeen?”

There. Now let’s see what develops…

Duncan still hoped for Ellen to take an interest in his Scotch friend, even though Sir Cedric had indicated otherwise.

Charles and Tamsin

“The jewelry I wore to the weapon shop wasn't this valuable.” Tamsin turned toward him as they walked so that he could admire her sparkling necklace and earrings. “These are family heirlooms. They've been passed down through my family for generations. As my mother's eldest daughter, they will be mine one day, but I was only allowed to wear them tonight because this is the first ball that I have ever attended.”

She knew her mother would never let her go to his house, but if he visited her aunt, then she could chaperone them. Yet she would be hovering around them the entire time, and that might make Lord Langdon nervous enough that he would excuse himself before she had finished her sketches. “Yes, I can meet you at Somerset Palace. I'll have a chaperone with me, of course.

“Either Monday or Tuesday is fine with me. I am free both days.” Had Tamsin been a more experienced courtier, she would have never admitted that she had nothing planned. Young ladies claimed their schedules were full whether they were or not so that they would appear popular. Tamisin was too new to court to have learned that yet.

Sophia looking for Esteban or a dance partner

She was so short that it was difficult to see through the crowd. Plucking a chalice of wine from a servant's tray, Sophia began strolling around the room, a cheerful smile on her beautiful face. If Esteban had not yet arrived, perhaps a gentleman would notice that she was unaccompanied and ask her to dance.

As they approached the Banquet Hall, Anne-Elisabeth paused just outside the door. “This is where we part,” she told Merriweather. Leaning forward, she kissed him lightly on the cheek. “Thank you for escorting me.”

The Countess then stepped into the ballroom as if she owned the place, her head held high and her full lips curved into a confident smile. Inside, though, her self-assurance wavered a bit. In spite of her cheeky attitude and her sharp wit, she was still an eighteen-year-old girl. Would she make as excellent impression here as she had in the Scarlet Drawing Room? Would anybody notice her at all?

Twa Scots seek a Lairdy

“Cat weel recover.” Douglas assured Duncan, and himself. “She’s tougher than most.” And more stubborn as well. No, Catriona wouldn’t die abed unless it were at a great age, surrounded by an enormous tribe of which she was undisputed matriarch. “Yer an’ yers er welcam tae visit whine’er ye weel, ye ken that.”* Family could come and go as they pleased.

The pair glanced speculatively at Buckingham and La Belle Stuart, before returning their attention to matters of family. “Tha’s verra kind o’ ye.” Douglas replied when Duncan revealed that he’d given Shona the run of his library. “Haps yer Lairdy wife micht be a guid friend an’ role model fer her? And thair mun surely be others like her in His Majesty’s coort.”** After all, Charles Rex was a great proponent and appreciator of science himself. Whilst not scientifically-mineded himself, Douglas did understand playing to one’s strengths. And who knew, perhaps she would meet a well-bred young man with a similar interest?

As to her preferred reading subjects… “I dinnae ken, but I weel find oot.”*** He promised. The question made Douglas aware that he didn’t really know too much about Shona’s interests. He spent so much time managing Fiona and dealing with Cat, that his quieter siblings went a little neglected. He’d been making a point of taking all three out on outings, but perhaps he should spend some time with the younger one’s individually?

“Lead on laddie.” Douglas replied with a wave of his large hand as Duncan headed in the direction he’d last seen Ellen. The big man found himself oddly excited to meet her. He knew that, not unlike himself, she’d been the subject of scorn and ridicule in much of court, and if only as many rumours were true about her as they were about him, she’d simply be a plain-faced, common-born lass who was perhaps getting a little towards spinsterhood, rather than the hideously ugly and uncouth desperada that people made her out to be. If there was one thing that Douglas believed, it was that people should be given a chance. Because so many weren’t. And if his and Duncan’s plans came to fruition, he might be about to meet his future wife.

Subtitles

* “Cat will recover. She’s tougher than most. You and yours are welcome to visit whenever you will, you know that.”

** “That’s very kind of you. Perhaps your Lady wife might be a good friend and role model for her? And there must surely be others like her in His Majesty’s court.”

*** “I don’t know, but I will find out.”

Sophia

Karl discovered his mistress once she stepped out from the Central Drawing Room and escorted her to the Hall. She did not see Esteban initially. He was certainly present, given it was well after 9 pm.

Accosted by a servant offering wine, Sophia would note that it was Diego in disguise. He gave her a wink and then he moved off into the crowd with his tray. She would see John Burgoyne nearby, He was with George Churchill. Ralph Montagu, the Ambassador that attended her party was with the Danish Ambassador. They were both watching the King's movements.

She could continue on to find others in the crowd.

Anne

The hall was packed with courtiers. No one seemed to notice that she had entered the room. Such was the newcomer's lot. It was a quite different reception than she had encountered in the Scarlet Drawing Room. Merriweather sneaked in behind her wearing a smirk but remaining silent.

Beverleys join Rupert & Peg

Beverley smiled. He had little idea what ladies spoke about, so he could do little to offer any assurances or instruction.

"You shall be more than fine," he replied. It was a stock answer. As was his follow-up. "Do not forget, you come from the best of families of England."

He believed such things too.

And it was not as if he was depositing her by herself. If he danced with Mrs. Hughes, she would be Cumberland, and he knew the prince would take care of his interests.

He offered a bow as they joined the pair. "Good evening, Your Highness, Mrs. Hughes."