JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

The New Years Eve Ball- Xmas 1677

Blackguard

Louis and Bridget

Louis had expected the girl to be a wallflower waiting for him. He showed his surprise at Bridget's revelation with a smile. Well well. Perhaps she is not so helpless after all.

"Excellent," he praised. "You are quite the adroit student it seems." He shared a laugh as she told him how she left and then returned. "Well played," he complimented. "Perhaps your sisters were watching too?" He wanted to know if they were present.

"Advice? Well you must share this excellent advice you received. Where did you come by it?"

When she acknowledged the fact that she had taken her own maidenhood, he but nodded his understanding. A part of him wanted to abandon her and make her suffer the folly of deflowering herself for nothing in return. Yet, he was fairly sure that he might find her useful, and that he might foist her off on Buckingham ultimately.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Charles and Elizabeth

Elizabeth was a bit startled at Lord Chatham's suggestion that she become like the notorious Hortense Mancini, but she hid it well. She did admire certain things about the woman, but her father would kill her with his bare hands if she followed in the Duchess of Mazarin's footsteps. “I suppose that if I was married to an abusive lunatic, I might run away to the continent so that he would never find me, and then I could travel to my heart's content.”

Left unsaid was the fact that she would have to find a way to make money while she was abroad, which probably meant she would have to become the mistress of wealthy men wherever she roamed. The notion was not unappealing, but it was a path that she would consider taking only in desperate circumstances, and under an assumed name to keep the stain of dishonor from her family. “But I hope my future husband is kind and sane.” She trusted her father's judgment. He would never knowingly give her to a cruel and paranoid man.

“You'll only bore me if you tell me war stories. I'd rather hear about the cultures of the places you have been to. I can listen to tales about foreign lands for hours.” It was, after all, the closest she would likely ever come to visiting them herself. Sometimes Elizabeth wished she had been born a boy. She would have been her father's heir, since she was older than her brothers, and everything she had ever dreamed of would have been hers for the taking.

“Oh, you know her?” For some strange reason, that revelation surprised her. The pretty brunette glanced at the princess again and then at the dance floor, where couples were beginning to line up. “I would love to meet her, but maybe after our dance is over, unless you would like to skip it.” She rather hoped that Lord Chatham was still interested in dancing with her.

Louis and Bridget

Louis was proud of her, just as she knew he would be. When he asked after her sisters, Bridget's gaze swept the room. “I don't see any of them.” Anne and her husband, both veterans of balls, could have become bored and sought entertainment elsewhere. They trusted her to behave herself, as she had never given them any trouble and had always conducted herself in a proper manner. They might have taken Catherine and Sophia with them. Her younger sisters were more mischievous than she. “They could have gone to one of the drawing rooms or maybe they're somewhere among the crowd."

As for where she had obtained her advice: “I met Princess Juliana of Hesse-Eschwege. She understands how I feel because she was shunned when she lived in Sweden. We got along really well and she gave me a few pointers that worked wonderfully. Her advice was not nearly as good as yours, though.”

He simply nodded when she told him that she was no longer a virgin. She had expected more enthusiasm. But they were still in a public place, and she understood the need for playing it safe. While she longed to ask when they could leave, she decided not to. He would let her know when he was ready to depart.

Anne-Elisabeth and Dorset

Dorset had found a saucy one in Anne. He had not recalled ever encountering a Countess with such a focus on the bawdy. "We shall see," the blond earl remarked in response to her tub allusion.

"Just be sure you do not bite the wrong hand," May cautioned with feigned seriousness. "Barbados? I am told it is quite hot there, suitable only to darkies. You must be freezing beneath your winter attire. Here for but a day? It must have been quite the trip. Do tell me that you repelled pirates on your journey," he laughed, hoping to spark an outrageous yarn.

• 1 month later...

Anne-Elisabeth and Dorset

Anne-Elisabeth winked cheekily at the handsome Earl. If he kept his end of their bargain, she would also find out if he was just bragging about the magnitude of his own 'tub.' She actually hoped that he was right, because while size didn't matter as much as what you did with it, a large member enhanced the experience,  in her opinion.

“Don't worry,” she told May with the same mock solemnity with he he had spoken to her. “I know when to keep my teeth to myself.” Her serious demeanor dissolved in an instant and she leaned toward him, grinned playfully, and made a sudden biting motion.

“It's very hot in Barbados, but I was born there and knew nothing else until I moved here. I just arrived in London, but I've been in England for a little over a year. I'm still not accustomed to the cold and fear I never will be.

“And yes, the journey was quite eventful.” The Countess knew what he was hoping for when he inquired about pirates, and she had a story ready that she had already used several times when asked similar questions at the parties she had attended at neighboring estates in the country,  The first couple of times she had told the sad true story of the shipwreck, but she had learned that most people would much rather hear an exciting tall tale.

The creative Lady Cambray was very good at telling stories.

“Yes, we did encounter pirates.” she breathed, her eyes widening melodramatically. “We were told to lock ourselves in our cabins, but I was curious and I stayed on deck, hiding behind some barrels. The pirates fanned out looking for valuables, but the pirate captain stayed on deck, supervising them. Strangely enough, he was speaking in verse, which he obviously thought was funny. So I decided to take a chance, knowing that I could be putting myself in grave danger.

“Emerging from my hiding place, I spoke in a loud voice:

“I know that you think it's your duty

To make off with all of our booty.

Yet to commit that foul crime

You must beat me at rhyme.

And I'm the best, even though that sounds snooty.

“The captain looked at me as if I was completely daft. By this time, the pirates had told him that there wasn't much of value on the ship. We had been smart and sent most of our possessions ahead of us and what we did have was stored beneath the false floor of the cabins. But it seemed that there was one thing that he did desire. This is what he said to me:

“You don't have nothing much that we want

We be wasting our time with this jaunt

If I win, I take you

You know what I'll do

And then you'll regret your vain vaunt.

“For a pirate, he had quite an impressive vocabulary and he wasn't all that bad at poetry. I thought for a moment, and declared:

“You barbaric seafaring nomads

Can't catch me because you're all slow cads

Come close and you'll shout

And maybe pass out

When my knee connects with your gonads.

“So we threw limericks back and forth for awhile as his men returned to their ship with very little to show for their efforts. Our contest was a matter of pride now, and I knew he fully intended to take me captive if he bested me. But it soon became clear that I was going to win. He lunged for me, I made good on my promise, and he limped back to his ship in pain and disgrace.

“And so,” Anne-Elisabeth concluded, with a saucy wink, “that's how I defeated a fearsome pirate captain with words alone.”

Dorothea & Francis

Francis correctly deduced that Dorothea, who was neither a Villiers nor a Stuart, did indeed need his assistance the most. To the dancefloor they moved,  and in that Dorothea came to smile of attainment of her evenings singular goal.  She gave a succinct curtsy to her partner, and exactingly took up the correct position ready to begin - yet however crisp her moments the look in her eyes when she met his was utterly girlish in their joy.   

"Do you think they shall have another court season at the beach?  For however entertaining your excursion there with Lord Sussex was, there are some things one must experience for themselves." 

He had hinted to her that his dancing was limited,  to which she just gave a small nod.  As the music begun she moved in a simple and uncluttered way - and if there was any pause out of tempo made no fuss off it. Instead she grinned and took the next step for him to take a cue from... many hops promenades and turns later they came to the end of the dance. 

Dorothea clapped her hands together, and gushed "Oh that was such fun! Thank you Lord Kingston." 

On 6/12/2018 at 7:34 AM, Aria said:

Ambrose and Fiona

“Is that a promise?” Fiona asked, narrowing her eyes teasingly. Her eyes still locked on his, she dipped her tongue in the whiskey again and then downed in one gulp. She knew her limitations when it came to drink. She was going to need some vigorous exercise … preferably of the carnal variety … to prevent herself from becoming tipsy. Already, the candles in the chandeliers seemed to be glowing a bit brighter and a pleasant warmth permeated her body. 

“The barracks?” She favored Ambrose with a sultry smile. “That's adventurous. If you're sure we can get away with it, I'm in.” Her eyes fairly smouldered with passion. “And then, before you know it, you will be in too.” She hoped he understood her innuendo.

As he looked her up and down, Fiona did the same to him. “And you, dear Ambrose, are irresistible.” Reluctantly pulling her gaze away from him, her eyes darted around the room. Dougie was nowhere in sight. Cat was still ill, so she didn't have to worry about her tonight.

“Shall we go? We probably shouldn't leave at the same time. We don't want anyone to suspect us of sneaking off together.”

"Ill meet you outside..." 

OOC: Will create us a side thread for our B&Entering ?   

Charles and Elizabeth

It seemed to Charles that, should Elizabeth find herself married to an abusive lunatic, she would be far better served seeking an accelerated entry to widowhood than running away. She would have far more freedom and (more importantly) resources as a widow than as a runaway bride. He suspected the young woman might well die of shock if he suggested it, though, and so contented himself with merely smiling. As amusing as scandalising her would be Charles was rather enjoying this little byplay, and had no intentions of cutting it short.

"Grounded ambitions," he complimented her aspirations for her future husband. In her place, Charles would have hoped for a robust fortune and a frail constitution, but he supposed it took all sorts. Unable to resist, he continued. "But surely a little madness keeps the soul young, hmm?" He grinned at Elizabeth, letting a glimmer of his own fey madness shine through his solitary eye and the just bared tips of his canines.

"I may hold you to that," he mock threatened, laughing as she professed a willingness to listen to stories of his travels.

That being said, do I actually have enough... suitable stories to entertain her for minutes, let alone hours?

Eyeing the filling dance floor, Charles shrugged easily.

"We met at the last ball," he explained, "I'll introduce you later." He smiled. "But first, let me assure you that I have no intention of skipping our dance. You'll soon learn that I'm an infamously poor dancer, and I'll never have the opportunity again. Shall we?"

“Being kind and sane are only the minimum requirements.” Elizabeth favored him with an impish grin. “I have many more expectations for my future husband.” She said this as if she actually had a choice in the matter, which she didn't. If she wished to anger her father, she could complain if the gentleman to which he betrothed her was not to her liking, but it wouldn't do any good. Once the arrangements were made, they were set in stone and she doubted that she would be consulted before that. But Henrietta was older and would be married first, so she still had time to enjoy herself before she was tied down.

And she was definitely enjoying herself in the company of Lord Chatham. What in the world did Nettie have against this gentleman? He was truly fascinating and he made her laugh as he gave her a crazy look. “Madness is relative, I suppose. But a small taste of it from time to time makes life more interesting.

“I hope you do,” she replied at his playful threat to hold her to her promise. She really was interested in his travels and she imagined that his tales would be recounted in the same witty manner in which he spoke … far better than some of the dry narration she had listened to from others.

Elizabeth was glad he still wanted to dance with her, although if he was telling the truth about his lack of prowess in that particular activity, she might regret it later. He was probably just teasing her again. “Just draw on your inner madness and you'll be fine,” she advised him, mischievousness twinkling in her hazel eyes.

She let him lead her to the dance floor and they took their places opposite each other. The musicians began to play and she curtsied to him prettily. Elizabeth was a lively and graceful dancer, but not particularly creative. She performed the steps as she had been taught during her childhood, and she smiled at Charles every time the dance brought them together.

(OOC: Go ahead and take them through the dance.)

Charles and Elizabeth

"It is not so 'inner,'" Charles murmured as they took their places, a mischievous glimmer shining in his eye in answer to her own.

He had been teasing Elizabeth about his dancing prowess. Technically, Charles was of no more than average proficiency, but he compensated with athleticism and a heartfelt pleasure in rhythm and motion. He flattered himself that he would prove no disgrace to any lady. Indeed, he mused, smiling at Elizabeth as the dance drew them together, they were fairly well matched.

Neither out of the top drawer, perhaps, but we make a good pair.

Bowing as the music trailed off and the dance came to an end,  Charles offered Elizabeth his arm.

"You dance well my lady," he complimented. "Certainly you brought the best out of me." He laughed.

Idly, Charles cast his gaze around the ballroom, looking for some sign of Juliana.

"Do you still want me to introduce you to her highness now, or is there anything you would rather do first? Your wish is my command."

Frances Looks For George

After the departure of Lady Tamsin and her partner Frances was free once again in her solitude and so able to wander in and out of various groups making conversation and once accepting a glass to toast 'The New Year' then to share a bit of gossip with other young women her age. She kept an eye attuned for any sightings of Lord Chichester wanting to find him but also now a bit leary of his reactions.

She was getting closer to where the Cavendish Family had established themselves and she could see clearly her Aunts and Mother, her Sister Elizabeth she did not see nor was Henry her brother visible. As for The Duke her father he was in conversation with other like-minded Gentlemen and sipped now and then from the tankard he held. Would Lord Chichester gather up his courage and make his Salutatiuons?

Charles and Elizabeth

Once again, Lord Chatham had been teasing her. As the dance began, Elizabeth wondered if he really was a poor dancer, as he had insinuated when she had asked him why her sister seemed frightened of him. If his statement had proved true, at least she would know why Henrietta had been staring daggers at him.. Maybe she was worried that he would ask her to dance again and thought it was rude to refuse an Earl. That could have explained the horrified look on her face, though not why she had gazed at the Swedish Princess the same way. Elizabeth doubted that she had asked her to dance.

But Lord Chatham was an excellent dancer, and the young girl was back to square one. Why did her sister seem terrified of him? Maybe she would just ask her outright. That might be the only way to find out the answer.

Elizabeth enjoyed the dance and when it was over, she took Charles' arm. “So do you,” she replied, smiling up at him warmly. “I think I've found the method to your madness. You tell ladies that you don't dance well so that they'll be pleasantly surprised when you do.”

His wish was her command? Other gentlemen had said that to her, but somehow she believed the intriguing one-eyed Earl really meant it. “I think I shall like to meet the Princess,” she decided. Elizabeth didn't see Henrietta at all. Maybe she had gone to one of the other rooms.

Juliana's height made her easy to spot. She was standing next to one of the refreshment tables with a drink in her hand, talking to an even taller gentleman. Smiling, she held up her hand, and after the gentleman had kissed it, he walked away, leaving her alone.

Sophia approaching Sarah Jennings, with Lord Grandison leaving

Sophia believed that Lord Grandison would most likely cross paths with the King again tonight, If not, perhaps he would speak well of her when he did. And if she should find herself close to him, she would ask him to dance herself. The young Baroness was persistent, but she was also easily distracted and it probably wouldn't be long before dancing with him was no longer on her mind. Particularly if Lord Arundel made good on his promise to ask Esteban to dance with her,.

Or if she ran into the intriguing Lord Chatham, She really wanted to talk to him.  At their last meeting, they had promised to write amorous letters to each other in Italian under false names, and she wished to tell him where to find the one she had recently composed. Hopefully, she would get the chance to dance with him too.

“Thank you for the dance, my lord,” she said to Lord Grandison, giving him a playful curtsy. “I hope the rest of your evening is pleasant as well.”

As he walked away, she turned to Sarah, smiling warmly.  She was still in an effervescent mood.  “And what of you, Mistress Jennings? Have you been enjoying the ball so far?”

Sarah gave a reverance to the older Gentleman and after his departure one to the Baroness smiling back as she answered the question.

"Me? Well I can not say that I have enjoyed any true 'pleasures' and this is much the same as any other Celebration New Years or other. You seem to be enjoying it Lady Toledo. You are fairly glowing."

Charles and Elizabeth approaching Juliana

Charles said nothing in reply to Elizabeth's theory about the method in his madness, merely smiled. If the girl thought she had caught even the merest glimpse of his madness, he had no intentions of disillusioning her. Yet. 

He nodded as she took his arm and asked to meet Juliana. Fortunately, his lover (was that the right word? Close enough, and it would serve in the privacy of his own head in any case) was easy to spot, given her height and physique. Even better, she was presently unaccompanied. 

"No time like the present, hmm? Let us seize upon the offered opportunity."

Making their approach, it occurred to Charles that he was not unlike a cat dragging the carcass of its prey in for presentation. 'Look what I caught!' There had been a nigh feral tomcat in Tangiers that had made a habit of that, he recalled idly.

Well, I've no more morals than a cat, so the comparison is apt.

He grinned.

Catching Juliana's eye as they drew near, Charles swept a florid bow and flowed through the formalities.

"Your highness! A pleasure, as always. Might I present Lady Elizabeth, daughter of the Duke of Ormonde? My lady, allow me to introduce her highness Juliana von Hesse-Eschwege, Princess of Sweden."

Charles, Elizabeth, and Juliana

Elizabeth didn't think that the tall blonde was a real princess or even from Sweden. Hesse-Eschwege was part of the Holy Roman Empire and they were Landgraves,, who were more or less equivalent to Dukes.  Therefore, she and Juliana were of equal status. Yet she would follow Lord Chatham's lead and address her as he did. If she made the woman mad, she might never solve the puzzle of her sister's strange behavior. Elizabeth also planned to pay close attention to what the Earl and the so-called Princess said to each other to see if they dropped any clues.

Juliana noticed the two of them walking toward her. Who was this woman Charles was bringing to her? Had he found a new pet who might be interested in a threesome? She doubted that he was trying to make her jealous. He should know her well enough to realize that she wasn't the clingy type and enjoyed her freedom as much as he enjoyed his.

The girl looked vaguely familiar, and she wondered if they had met before, but as Charles introduced her, her name didn't ring any bells, although she had heard of the Duke of Ormonde.  At least Lady Elizabeth had the manners to curtsy to her.

“Ahh, my dear Lord Chatham. How you brighten my evening!” Juliana held up her hand to be kissed, wondering if he had acquired the Christmas gift she had demanded of him when they had spent the night together earlier in the week. A white-hot thrill raced through her body as she thought about trying it out on him. Turning to the girl, she smiled. “I am pleased to make your acquaintance, my lady.”

“And it is an honor to make yours, Your Highness,” Elizabeth replied. The Princess seemed nice enough. “Lord Chatham spoke very highly of you and I asked him to introduce me to you.”

“He did?” Juliana raised a golden eyebrow at Charles, mischievousness dancing in her blue eyes. “And what have you told her, my lord?”

Sarah and Sophia

Mistress Jennings' answer perplexed Sophia. Did she not see the opportunities all around her? “I'm having a wonderful time!” she exclaimed with an impulsive little twirl that set her glittering skirts billowing around her. “If this is any indication of what the new year is going to be like, it will be absolutely magnificent!”

She grinned at Sarah. “Do you have any plans for the coming year yet? Things you wish to do or achieve?”

Charles, Elizabeth, and Juliana

Charles grinned and swooped to kiss Juliana's offered hand, taking the opportunity to surreptitiously caress the inside of her wrist. He felt the familiar need for devilment pushing at him,  an insistence on pushing the boundaries that promised sweet satisfaction should he obey the impulse. (And he would be lying if he denied that there was extra spice in the thought that it might give Juliana an excuse to punish him.) He straightened, a mischievous twinkle of his own shining in answer to Juliana's, and shrugged fluidly.

"Why, nothing more than the truth, your highness, that I have found you to be charming and gracious company. So you see, I have given you nothing more than your due." His grin widened almost imperceptibly for a moment, showing just a sliver of canine. "And when she expressed a desire to meet you, well, as a gentleman, what I could do but obey?"

(Charles was rather pleased that he managed to keep any hint of insinuation from his voice. Juliana would know what he was getting at.)

"Oh, and speaking of giving you your due..." Charles reached into his coat and withdrew a slender riding crop of black leather, the handle chased in leather. He offered it to Juliana with a smile, luxuriating in the delicious thrill offered him by the act and its potential results.

"As requested."

Anne, Dorset and May

"Heavens," muttered May as he played along.  "Only a blackguard like a pirate captain would speak in limericks," the King's Privy Purse tittered, obviously making a barb at Dorset.

"Perhaps the pirate captain was properly tutored … a gentleman forced to sea due to a lack of wit at whatever court he abandoned.  It just shows that culture can be found anywhere.  And did you happen to catch the name of this captain milady?  Did he raise high the Jolly Rhymer perhaps?"  Dorset wore a pleased smile as he signaled for more wine.

"It is a miracle that neither the Carib sun nor pirates marred your skin Countess," May gushed as he looked at her neck and cleavage, not in the typical suggestive way.  Anne's skin seemed to have a more ruddy complexion that other ladies, though who could tell with so much white powder on display?

"I think your Master would like to meet the colonist that bested fearsome pirates," Dorset replied, aware that May was scrutinizing the assets of his companion.

"Indeed he would," May replied.  I think he is free now."

Dorset turned and saw that the King was alone.  It would be mere seconds before another sycophant approached, so the blond earl ushered Anne in his direction.  Already the King noted Dorset's approach.

Louis and Bridget

Louis had hoped to take Bridget to meet Buckingham and deposit the girl in his care; but, such did not seem likely.  Another night. She mentioned some Princess.  ""She sounds German."  He would have asked for an introduction but girls were jealous of such requests.  Later.

"Excellent," Louis remarked in a bored tone.  His manner was very formal.  "Pretend that we are talking about the weather at the moment," he advised.  First rule of deception my dear, appear neither too happy or too unhappy to be with me.  In the former case, gossips will assume we are a pair.  In the latter, they will believe the disdain is well-rehearsed.  It is too often employed by amateurs thinking that court veterans will be blind to obvious machinations.  A formal attitude will leave them guessing.  Second, if one of us walks out and the other follows after, it will be a simple task of addition for a veteran.  That is why I have myself paged while in your company.  No one does that."  He forced a polite laugh as if Bridget had tried to humor him.

With a glance in the direction of an expectant court page, Louis waited for the lad to approach with the blank folded note.  "When I receive the note, I will pretend it is from an admirer and I will excuse myself.  Gossips will assume I am meeting an important lord or a certain unknown lady.  They will not think it could be you.  I will be waiting for you in a small boat at the palace stairs to the pier.  My man will be there holding two lit lanterns, one in each hand.  No need to say anything.  He will escort you to the covered barge and see us out upon the water."  He paused to see if she understood.

"Oh I always have Plans Baroness and as to what I might want that will depend entirely on Circumstance."

"And what of yourself? Perhaps you wish for a child? Or ...."

Sarah delibertly kept the humour in her voice and smiled at the other.

"You are very finely attired and Lord Grandison could not help but be captivated at the picture you present. Have you too made a wager? I have! Pledged that the World will not come to an end as predicted by that silly woman whos name I have forgot."

"Have you not heard of this - why tis much the talk here this eve!"

Sarah thought that of course Lady Toledo would know as most of London did about the woman's prediction in a letter send to both The King and Buckingham in September claiming that it would all end at Midnight on the 31st.

Charles, Juliana, and Elizabeth

His fingers brushing along the inside of her wrist was far more stimulating than his kiss upon her hand. Juliana wondered if he felt could feel her rapid pulse with that fleeting, secret touch. She knew why he had done it, of course. He was hoping she would chastise him later for being improper in public. And she would. Her mind already churned with various ways to punish him … with or without the gift he had promised her.

“You flatter me, my lord,” she said, “although I am pleased that you find my company so enthralling.” She didn't miss the implication in his words and she nodded subtly, to let him know that she understood. However, it was she he was supposed to obey. He had given her another excuse for punishment. It seemed that he was eager to continue what they had begun last week. And so was she.

Her eyebrow rose higher as he reached into his coat and brought out an elegant riding crop. A slow smile spread across her beautiful face and she took it from him, caressing the soft leather in a slightly suggestive way. “Why thank you, my lord. That is exactly what I need.”

Turning to Elizabeth, she explained: “My horse is a bit too spirited. He needs some discipline and Lord Chatham suggested that I use a riding crop to tame him.” She hoped that her statement had the desired effect on him.

Elizabeth read racy novels, but none of them delved into the type of play that Charles and Juliana enjoyed. She thought the Princess was really talking about a horse. It did seem a bit strange to her that the blonde didn't already have a riding crop, but maybe things were done differently in Sweden, or Germany, or wherever she was from. Juliana did have a slight accent, but it was difficult to place. “A well-behaved horse is very important. I hope you won't be too hard on him though.”

Juliana grinned at Charles. “Don't worry, my lady. I'll only be hard on him if he's hard on me.” Deftly changing the subject, she turned back to Elizabeth: “So how long have you known Lord Chatham?”

“We met less than a half hour ago and we have just shared a dance. He is a wonderful dancer.”

“Oh?” Juliana glanced playfully at Charles. “Perhaps I will get a chance to dance with him tonight as well.”

Louis and Bridget

Bridget shrugged. “There is no German royal family, so maybe she is related to the Swedish King. Perhaps she was shunned because of her nationality.” Juliana had not explained the circumstances of her exile, but maybe she would speak of it when they met again. And she would have indeed been jealous had Louis asked for an introduction. The Princess was beautiful and she could have easily charmed him away from her.

So he was pleased that she had done as he asked and rid herself of her maidenhead.  He just couldn't show it in public. She listened to his advice and knew that he was only trying to protect her with his feigned indifference. Once they were alone together, he would take her in his arms and shower her with kisses and words of love. Acting as if they were only acquaintances talking about the weather was a wise idea. Because of him, Bridget was becoming quite adept at pretense.

Louis had certainly planned everything out well. Nobody would suspect them of planning an rendezvous if he left her after receiving a note from a page. She saw him glance away, but she didn't follow his gaze, assuming he was signaling said page. And he had actually rented a barge for their assignation. How very romantic he was! Bridget didn't think she would have any problem making it to their meeting place without being seen.

“I know where it is,” she said. “After you leave, how long should I wait before following?”

Sarah and Sophia

Sophia wasn't surprised that Mistress Jennings didn't elaborate on her future plans. The two of them didn't know each other all that well, but perhaps that would change. There was always hope at the beginning of a year, and one of the young singer's goals was to make more friends and connections.

“I think every married lady wishes for a child, just as every gentleman wishes for an heir.” She had not spoken of children to either Esteban or Juan. Her marriage was such a complicated affair. Would her husband prefer his heir to be sired by his master or did he want his own child? Juan would understandably be reluctant to father a bastard, but his child would be considered legitimate, just not his own. But he could love it as if it was. Sophia wanted to bear Juan's children, of course ...  living manifestations of the deep love the two of them shared.

“Lord Grandison is related to my former guardian, Lord Kingston. He was quite charming and he was a spendid dancer. He didn't seem to be in a very good mood when we met and I believe that I cheered him up. I hope that he does not forget me and that our paths will cross again.” Sophia tilted her head to the side. “Are you acquainted with him as well?”

The Spanish Ambassador's wife had not heard any rumors about the world ending tonight, as she tended to avoid listening to gossip. “Of course it won't. There have been prophesies about the world ending all throughout history. That woman probably just wanted to bring herself to the attention of the King. What do you think will happen to her when her predictions prove false?  I certainly wouldn't want to be in her shoes."

Anne-Elisabeth and Dorset leaving May and moving toward the King

Anne-Elisabeth quickly picked up on Master May's jest. She grinned mischievously at Dorset. “Maybe that's what happens when a gentlemen loses too many poetry competitions to ladies.” She lifted one finger to her chin as if in thought. “I didn't catch his name, but I did think his flag rather odd. The skull was wearing a cap with a feather in it and beneath it were crossed quills instead of crossbones. Perhaps it really was the Jolly Rhymer.”

May changed the subject, complementing her skin to give him an excuse to ogle her, although not in the typical lewd way. Maybe he was unusually adept at hiding his baser instincts. Without realizing it, the Countess stood a bit taller, lifting her long slender neck and thrusting out her modest bosom. What woman did not like being admired, even by a man to whom she was not the least bit attracted? “I'll bet you say that to all the girls,” she teased him.

Lord Dorset's comment made her wonder if he was jealous, but he probably just wanted to fulfill his end of their bargain in order to see if she would honor hers. May agreed that the King would like to meet her, and pointed out that he was not engaged with any of his subjects at the moment. Her enigmatic escort began leading her in toward the monarch. “It was a pleasure meeting you,” she called to May over her shoulder.

The King was looking in their direction, and Anne-Elisabeth's grip unconsciously tightened a bit on the Earl's arm. “The Jolly Rhymer was quite clever,”  she flattered him with a chuckle.  "I'll have to remember it the next time I am called upon to tell that story, if you will allow me to use it."   Though she was nervous, she refused to show it, her usual confident manner evident in her proud carriage and steady voice.

Charles, Juliana, and Elizabeth

Oh, it's exactly what I need too...

The thought floated idly through his mind as Charles watched Juliana run her dextrous fingers over the crop. Anticipation filled him with a wonderfully pleasant tension.

But which am I looking forward to feeling the touch of most, hmm?

"A stallion lacking discipline needs... correction. It is dangerous to leave them unchecked," he observed with a shrug, playing his assigned role in Juliana's little tale. "You'll need to show him a firm hand I think, especially at this time of year. They have less opportunity to burn off their excess energy when they're being kept stabled. Makes them... overenthusiastic, shall we say?"

Charles laughed, even as his imagination began conjuring up all the lurid ways Juliana could 'tame' him. Meeting her eyes, he matched her grin as Elizabeth made her innocent contribution.

"Well, he's a stallion. I doubt he'll mend his ways merely for the asking."

He shook his head as the conversation moved on, wagging a chiding finger.

"Now I am being flattered," he told Elizabeth mock-sternly. "In truth I am merely adequate, and if I seemed more than that it is testament to the skill of my partner."

He shrugged again, lips curving in a delighted smile that belied his words.

"That being said, if your highness still wishes to take the chance I would be honoured to oblige you."

King, Dorset and Anne

When she complimented him on the Jolly Rhymer, Dorset gave her a smug look that all but declared she should accept that he was a court wit.  "Of course you may use it," he assented.

There were others approaching the King but he ignored them in favor of Dorset and his escort.  "My Lord Dorset," the King greeted, apparently relieved to be free of the mundane company.  "Who is this that you escort this evening?"

"Your Majesty, I have the pleasure of presenting Lady Anne-Elizabeth Devereaux, Countess Cambray.  She has abandoned the sunny climes of the new world to come to snowy London to bask in Your Majesty's holiday splendor."

"Indeed," the King replied, taking in the sight of the young Countess.  "A pleasure madam.  I do not recall any Cambrays at court in quite some time."  He seemed to be searching his memory. 

Louis and Bridget

The Earl gave the page a nod to signal his approach before turning back to the lady in his company.  "Wait a few minutes and looked bored.  Then approach the outer perimeter of ladies that you do not know, as if trying to ingratiate yourself into their circle.  If they do not invite you to join them, which is likely, act annoyed and then wander off, pausing to take a drink.  Then you can suddenly seem to recall that you need to use a slop jar and walk that direction with purpose … before disappearing," Louis advised.

"Do not take overly long because we have but a limited time together.  Avoid your family of course," he added with amusement as he awaited the arrival of the page.

Charles and Juliana, with Elizabeth leaving

Lord Chatham played along with her while also telling her exactly what he wanted. Ahh, my magnificent overenthusiastic stallion. I can hardly wait until I can ride you again. A pleasant and familiar heat suffused Juliana's body and she unconsciously clenched her thighs together beneath her gown. Perhaps she was overly eager as well.

As Charles grinned at her, she twitched the riding crop in her hand to further inflame him. “He is quite troublesome, I admit, but soon I shall have him eating out of my hand.”

Their flirtatious exchange was lost on Elizabeth. She liked to flirt herself and was quite witty, but she still believed they were discussing a particularity difficult horse. Her own horse was sweet and docile and there was nothing she could add to the conversation, until it turned to dancing. The young brunette smiled at Lord Chatham's compliment. “And now you flatter me.” To Juliana: “Don't believe him, Your Highness. He really does dance well.”

Juliana chuckled. “I'm sure you're right. He is just being modest. I'm curious now as to which of you is telling the truth, and so, Lord Chatham, I gladly accept your invitation. Will you excuse us, Lady Elizabeth? It looks as if the next dance will begin shortly.”

“Of course, Your Highness.” Elizabeth curtsied to both of them and disappeared into the crowd, her mystery still unsolved.

As soon as she was gone, Juliana's brow furrowed thoughtfully. "There's something about that girl that seems familiar to me, but I'm sure we have never met before."

Louis and Bridget

Bridget repeated his instructions silently so that she wouldn't forget them. Actually, using the slop jar before she left wouldn't be a bad idea. Wine tended to run right through her and she'd had two glasses already. There probably wouldn't be any place to go on the boat and she certainly didn't want to have an unfortunate accident while they were making love. She could slip away after she had emptied her bladder.

She had hoped they would have the rest of the night together, which was why she had asked Princess Juliana to say that she was with her should her sisters or brother-in-law notice she was missing. She had not told her she was meeting a gentleman but that she wanted to watch the dawn of the new year with some friends. Now she probably wouldn't need to call in that favor, but the possibility was there in case Louis couldn't get enough of her. Or she could use it at another time. This tryst, she believed, would only be the first of many.

“I still don't see my family here. I doubt many people will be out on such a cold night, so I should be able to make it to the pier undetected.”  It took all of her willpower not to look around for the page. She was impatient to have the intriguing Lord Basildon all to herself.