JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

The New Years Eve Ball- Xmas 1677

Blackguard

George, Frances, and Tamsin

Careful not to give Frances the wrong idea about his friendship with Tamsin, George continued to resist inviting Tamsin to attend the art group he intended (although she was practiclly begging!)

Then the topic was Education. A man of his times George accepted the diversions ladies kept as harmless enough activity to fill out their days - but he never supposed that they would be seriously regarded on those topics. Ladies were to be indulged as the more delicate sex, and, when necessary, shielded from life’s less seemly situations.

Speaking of situations, one seemed to be developing now. Would George be powerless to allay a developing discord between the ladies? It was Frances particularly, with the upright stubbornness he'd previously witnessed and appreciated, taking an objection to the others education.

George's brows furrowed. A man more experienced with the ladies might have known not to step between them! But he did not, and figuratively did.

"But you must agree Lady Frances, that mental occupation in any field is good for the brain and the humours." he softly returned to the young Cavendish, then to Faraday lass turned to advise "yet what goes on in the county need some times remain there, so to speak. May we kindly advise you that society is likely to judge you poorly if you revel the diversity of your reading material in mixed company." In an effort to lighten the mod he flashed a smile and with a wink added, "And I have not met a gentleman yet who is comfortable around a woman who knows more than he!" (Not that such a thing was actually possible!)

"You may relay my mutual interest to your Father yes." he agreed,

The subject of hunts and pleasure or displeasure, subsequently invoked pastimes less pleasant.

"I quite agree with you there." he nodded head, "it is no sport at all when god creature are provoked for the mere entertainment or as a wagering game." he said - only to have his emotions raise as Frances revealed unpleasant revelation of her brothers. The hairs on the back of his neck prickles with indignation - and he privately vowed to have a word to them personally!

Yet to Frances he replied with restraint. "I do not find that tolerable." was there a flex to his jaw that revealed just how unhappy he was about it. His sweet Frances should never be forced to remain in such location!

But he would try steer the topic to one lighter again. "Of hunting, I will attend a horseback hunt as and when, but my greater enjoyment is the challenge of a duck shoot." he revealed with effort of a smile. "His away in a 'hide', perfecting your duck calls, raging a battle against the chill of outdoors as you await the perfect opportunity. It is no mean feat to hit such a target mid flight! And my cook has a delectable thrice cooked duck recipe."

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ambrose and Fiona

Did she see his eyes flare with further surprise as she threw back her drink, more than that, secured two more, passing one to him. He did not quite know at that moment weather to crow or be alarmed! He remembered the energy that had ignited between then last time, but then just as suddenly she'd turned cold. His dim memory recalled had pushed too hard to get her alone. 'Steady on'. he now told himself.

She was a mystery for certain.

Testing her possible bluff, he sculled back this next drink also. Wiping his mouth with thumb Ambrose then replied, "I think they shall manage without me... " his eyes did not leave hers as he spoke, questing into their depths, trying to understand what drove this little gem. "Though we might be waylaid a protracted length of time, there are some things one must not rush."

While the roughian that was at Ambrose heart could not wait to get his hand up her skirts, lips upon her mouth, he held himself back with mental chains! Still his eyes made it very clear his desires were dark, that the right touch from her would unleash a primal beast.

Charles and Elizabeth

The way he observed her was perplexing to Elizabeth, almost as if he saw her as some kind of threat. If he gazed at Nettie like that, no wonder she's afraid of him. One look would send her running for the door and that would explain why she never met him. But she would never have walked up to him as I did, and if he had approached her, he was probably more … approachable.

Which was exactly how he seemed when he smiled warmly and bowed to her. He was smooth, she had to give him that. Elizabeth was not a meek little mouse like her sister and appreciated his wit and his charm. She already suspected what mystery he wanted to solve, and she didn't step back when he leaned toward her and asked for her name.

“I'm Lady Elizabeth Butler, daughter of the Duke of Ormonde,” she replied, “and I'm pleased to make your acquaintance, Lord Chatham.” Her smile was rather mischievous. “Now that I've helped you solve your mystery, perhaps you can assist with mine. My sister told me to stay away from a certain gentleman and seemed extremely frightened of him, even though she claimed never to have met him. I did meet this same gentleman and I find him quite intriguing. So what I'm trying to find out is why she is so scared of him.”

She spotted Henrietta, with a couple of friends. “See that young lady with the honey blonde hair talking to two other girls? That's my sister, Lady Henrietta. Do you know her?”

One advantage of growing up in the country was that you were not held to the strict standards of noble society and would not face ridicule if your interests lay in directions which did not fit what you believed was an extremely narrow definition of proper. Tamsin was beginning to understand why her father wasn't fond of court and preferred to remain on his own estate where his activities were not closely monitored.

“I was educated in the same way as any lady of my status,” she clarified. “Everything else I learned was from books and from listening to my father's guests.” She wondered if Lady Frances was forbidden to read certain books in her family's library or sent away when a conversation at a party became too intellectual for a lady's ears. Yet she had said she was interested in science. Were some forms of science considered suitable for a lady while others were not? Tamsin still had much to learn about the ways of court.

Lord Chichester didn't think that her pursuit of knowledge was scandalous or harmful, and she was grateful for his support and his advice. Her mother had told her much the same thing but she had thought that these two would be able to understand her thirst for knowledge. At least one of them did. “I shall keep that in mind, my lord,” she told him, smiling a bit shyly, “and I'll watch what I say from now on.”

Lady Frances spoke of being a fine horsewoman. At least that was one thing the two ladies had in common. She revealed that she found bear-baiting and dog and cock fights distasteful, and the Earl added his own views on the matter. “Don't worry, Lady Frances. I do not condone cruelty to animals in any shape or form. My lord father refuses to allow that sort of thing. He says that if one likes to hurt animals then one will probably hurt people as well."

As for duck shoots: “My father and eldest brother participate in those, but I have not been taught to use a gun. Nor do I wish to learn. Even though I know that we must hunt to eat and I enjoy the succulent taste of meat and poultry as much as the next person, I prefer not to think of how it came to be on my plate.”

Ambrose and Fiona

What? He's never seen a lady chug a drink before? Obviously, he's not met many Scottish lasses. Fiona was pleased that she had surprised him yet again. When he knocked back his second drink, she lifted hers to do the same, but then paused when he looked deep into her eyes. In the way he gazed at her, she could tell that he would be a rough and demanding lover, which in her opinion, was the best kind.

Hot little thrills blossomed through her young body and in her own hazel eyes, he would see an answering desire, just as wild and passionate as his own. Lifting her glass to her lips, she tilted it, stuck out her tongue, and licked the fiery liquid in a lazy circular motion. Lowering it slightly, she smiled wickedly. “Oh yes, some things can definitely not be rushed. Do you know of somewhere we can go so that you can examine me thoroughly?”

One fine eyebrow rose as the other girl made it clear that her own education was just a good as any other of her Station and Frances wondered yet again at the unorthodox upbringing that clearly was still ongoing. How was it that Lord Chichester, a man well versed in many subjects and knowing many, had never heard of this mysterious Earl?

Her eyes rested upon the man who sat beside her so close that she could smell his scent and it made her tummy do funny things and beneath her skirts she pressed her legs together unknowingly as yet still unaware that her body was beginning to change.

"You must not restrict yourself Lady Tamsin that was not the intent. Yet perhaps tempered a bit in Company? At least until you are better known or have formed your own circle. That way no misunderstandings will happen."

"I admire your desire to 'educate' for I have done the same. We are lucky in that we have fathers who allow for such things to be learned and for it to be taught by those that might be deemed 'unsuitable' elsewhere. I do not say that is so with any that you have spoke of."

She was quick to clarify.

"Well then if an occassion arises we two are complemented well enough - perhaps you might like to ride once the weather permits? Our stables are very fine. Can I tempt you Lord Chichester to join?"

She favored him with a smile her eyes dancing in amusement.

Bridget looking toward Louis

Bridget did not approach him, which was good. Louis did not wish her to demonstrate any eagerness in front of the court. Louis had danced with others and now was approaching the Osborne girl late in the evening, following a harmless dance with a matron.

"Good evening my lady," Louis offered cheerfully as he approached her. "Don't you look radiant tonight?" His body language was intended to appear to be formal.

"You still owe me a dance." He doubted he needed to remind her. "Shall we venture forth now?"

Charles and Elizabeth

A sneaking suspicion filled Charles as Elizabeth expounded on the mystery she wanted his help solving, and was confirmed when she pointed out her sister. The urge to laugh seized him, but he forced himself to swallow it.

The little mouse from the maze. I left an impression, it seems.

Fluidly shrugging one shoulder, he turned back to Elizabeth.

"I cannot say that we've ever been introduced," he offered lightly. "But, returning to your mystery, perhaps she merely found the appearance of the gentleman in question... unsettling, hmm?"

Charles turned his head to highlight the eye patch and the sharp lines of his face.

With advice sincerely given, Tamsin’s biddable response was all that, no, more than George might have hoped for. His experience with Ladies (which predominantly meant his sister) had him anticipate bullheadedness. Anything else was a most pleasant surprise. So it was that he smiled warmly to Tamsin, "Then I am sure all that progress well." he was pleased to say.

It made the grand tally of times that woman had taken his advice to two!

Possibly his dear Frances was likewise placated (or was it Tamsin’s agreement that baiting of animals a vile and ghastly sport!?) for she made her own efforts of repair after that.

"I would enjoy that very much." he smiled with the invitation to join the ladies at a Cavendish hunt. It felt that a landmark in the threesomes relationship had been reached.

"What famous success this conversation has been - I with prospect of meeting Lady Tamsin’s art tutor, and the thrill of a hunt also come spring." his eyes swung from Tamsin to Frances at the point. Perhaps indeed Spring would make a better time to further press his suit with her family?

His mood has certainly lifted, so much that he placed his hand upon Frances’ gloved own and turned to Tamsin to declare, "You have perhaps already divined that I hold great affection for the Gentle woman at my side. Ah, but I must not linger too long for tongues already will wag, and I am yet to attain her fathers permission to court. Although." his eyes swung to Frances then, and to her directly he said, "I have been honoured with her personal encouragement."

Arising then, he bent to kiss the hand he'd come to hold. "My Lady." he uttered.

Then similarly bowing to Tamsin he took her hand to bestow a chaste kiss.

He enjoyed the time with the ladies, though admitted to himself that it paled compared to private time alone with his would-be-fiancee. But for now there was a promise to a Duke he wanted to make good on.

Ambrose and Fiona

He'd seen woman emptying a glass in a gulp before, but never a lady at court. But Fiona was not like any other woman at court, or so this lifeguard was prone to believe. His eyes flared appreciatively as she daringly lifted her second glass - but then she pulled such a provocative move that he almost choked on the spot!

That naughty little tongue of hers peeked out and dawdled in the amber liquid. "I'll be doing that to you soon, if you let me." He could hardly think at all, blood rushing in his ears and more.

"There’s the barracks." his voice was low as a wolfs grow, "we could go to my CO's office, the door has a lock." And sure he was not supposed to help himself to the privacy of Albemarle’s office, but the Duke was currently partying so it would definitely be empty. Sure it was probably locked right now, but in passion he thought he'd easily bust it open.

"Bloody hell Fiona, you are such a saucy little thing." he now fully allowed his eyes to rove over her flesh, appreciating.

Louis and Bridget

As she had hoped, Lord Basildon strolled in her direction. What she now understood to be desire flooded through her body as she studied his elegant form from beneath demurely lowered eyelashes. What would he look like without his fancy clothes, she wondered, and how would his bare skin feel beneath her hands? Only a few days ago, the proper young lady would have been appalled at such thoughts and would have immediately prayed for forgiveness. Now she found them enticing.

He greeted her politely and her heart leapt when he said she looked radiant. He had told her he never lied, so it must be true. “Thank you, my lord,” she said, finally raising her eyes to his and holding up her hand to be kissed, “and a happy New Year to you.” He might notice that she seemed proud of something, that she could hardly wait to tell him about it was having a difficult time keeping it to herself. Satisfaction and excitement glittered in her eyes and shone through her smile.

“I haven't forgotten,” she assured him, looking toward the dance floor. In only a few moments, the current one would come to an end. “That will be delightful.” Maybe on the way, they would pass under some mistletoe and he would kiss her. Or he could be saving all the kisses for later, when they were alone together.

Charles and Elizabeth

He knew … not only who Henrietta was, but that he was the subject of the mystery that Elizabeth was determined to solve. He didn't say it, but he implied it by the way he turned his head so that his eye patch and his hawkish features were accented. “Personally, I think he's roguishly handsome, but I don't think his looks were what scared her. She once fancied a gentleman who limped and stuttered, so she's definitely able to see past appearances.”

Elizabeth studied Lord Chatham nonchalantly. “Maybe she thinks he's dangerous or volatile or unpredictable. But there must be a reason she feels the way she does. Maybe he said something to her in passing that she took the wrong way, even if he no longer remembers it now.”

She grinned up at him. “You know what else she said? That I must avoid dancing with this gentlemen at all costs. But I think I would enjoy a dance with him. Maybe I could find out more about him if he were to ask me to dance.”

Not a very subtle hint, but a hint nevertheless.

Tamsin was a demure and obedient girl, although when her mind was set on something … such as buying a weapon for her father, which had ended in her being robbed … she could be a bit stubborn and reckless. She was also prone to ignoring her mother's and aunt's advice, thinking she knew more than they did. What seventeen-year-old didn't feel that way from time to time?

But her mother had been right in suggesting that she keep her mouth shut about her unconventional upbringing, because both Lord Chichester and Lady Frances agreed with her. The other girl also revealed that her own father allowed her the freedom to acquire knowledge that was not considered part of a lady's education, but only after she was sure that her two companions thought there was nothing wrong with it. There was a lesson in the timing of her response that Tamsin could learn from.

And then Frances invited both Lord Chichester and herself to go riding with her. The Earl seemed to think that they would be going hunting as well. “I would be delighted to join the two of you on a ride, but if it involves hunting, I think I will pass.” Tamsin had stated her views on hunting and there was no reason to hide them from these two courtiers. If there were any public hunts, she might need to attend, but she could just converse with the other ladies and let the men enjoy their sport.

She was a bit surprised when Lord Chichester declared his affection for Lady Frances. Tamsin had not known that they fancied each other, but she thought it was sweet that they wanted to marry. She hoped that one day … but not in the near future … that she would fall in love with a gentleman who would ask her father for her hand. Not all noble marriages had to be dull and unhappy.

“I wish both of you the best.” she said with a genuine smile. Lord Chichester was now safe to be around without having to worry about her mother and aunt trying to get him to court her. She could tell them that he planned to marry somebody else and they would leave him alone. “And I hope you will invite me to your wedding.”

Ambrose and Fiona

“Is that a promise?” Fiona asked, narrowing her eyes teasingly. Her eyes still locked on his, she dipped her tongue in the whiskey again and then downed in one gulp. She knew her limitations when it came to drink. She was going to need some vigorous exercise … preferably of the carnal variety … to prevent herself from becoming tipsy. Already, the candles in the chandeliers seemed to be glowing a bit brighter and a pleasant warmth permeated her body.

“The barracks?” She favored Ambrose with a sultry smile. “That's adventurous. If you're sure we can get away with it, I'm in.” Her eyes fairly smouldered with passion. “And then, before you know it, you will be in too.” She hoped he understood her innuendo.

As he looked her up and down, Fiona did the same to him. “And you, dear Ambrose, are irresistible.” Reluctantly pulling her gaze away from him, her eyes darted around the room. Dougie was nowhere in sight. Cat was still ill, so she didn't have to worry about her tonight.

“Shall we go? We probably shouldn't leave at the same time. We don't want anyone to suspect us of sneaking off together.”

Charles and Elizabeth

I really should have contrived to lose an eye years ago...

The irreverent thought ghosted across the edge of Charles' mind and was dismissed as he shrugged. The little joke came to mind regularly, especially when he came across a lady susceptible to his 'roguishly handsome,' looks. (Charles himself preferred the term 'striking,' but perhaps the two were synonyms.)

"Ah, but a limp and a stutter may be unsettling, but they are not threatening. Quite the opposite." He gave Elizabeth a lupine grin, highlighting the implied contrast with his own features, all hard planes and predatory angles.

He came near to bursting into laughter as Elizabeth continued. 'Dangerous, volatile, and unpredictable,' was a fine summation of his character, as such went. Indeed, he was all but certain that Shaftesbury had so described him at least once. Unbidden, the image of the old man and Henrietta closeted together, sipping tea and gossiping, sprang to mind. Charles bit the inside of his cheek to stave off his merriment. It would have been beneath his dignity to dissolve into a fit of giggles.

He allowed himself to release some of his humour with a bark of laughter as Elizabeth grinned at him.

"Perhaps the gentleman is simply a terrible dancer and your sister merely sought to spare you the embarrassment of association." He offered her his arm, still grinning. "Come, let us adjourn to the dance floor and see if we can spot anyone who dances like he has been nailed to the floor."

Louis and Bridget

She seemed in high spirits. Was that because she was ready to report that she had dispensed with her ... obstacle, or was it love, or both?

As he escorted her towards the dance area he asked "have you danced with any interesting gentlemen?" As they neared a crowd that was loud, he leaned in to ask "has the obstacle to our later meeting been removed?" He then leaned away and acted as if his question had been most proper.

Charles and Elizabeth

“Very true,” Elizabeth agreed. The gentleman who had fascinaed her sister had been completely harmless, whereas everything about Lord Chatham seemed dangerous. That wolfish grin of his sent a shiver rippling down her spine, but it was a rather pleasant sensation. She didn't feel threatened by him, but drawn to him instead. Then again, she was adventurous and her sister was not. Perhaps Henrietta had been scared off by his looks alone. If they had interacted before, the one-eyed Earl seemed to have forgotten all about her, which wasn't surprising. Nettie was utterly unremarkable.

Elizabeth hoped he would remember her. “Hmmmm,” she mused, placing one slender finger against her chin as if in thought. “You could be right. Maybe she danced with him and he was so dreadful that she fled from his afterward.” Elizabeth watched his expression carefully. “But I think there was more to it than that. She was staring daggers at him earlier in the evening. Maybe he said something that upset her.”

Her hint was seamlessly received and she wondered what kind of dancer he would be. Probably an excellent one, considering that he didn't even hesitate before asking her to dance. She took his arm and let him lead her toward the dance floor, where the last dance was just ending. It would be a few moments before the dancers dispersed and the musicians stuck up the next tune. Glancing back toward her sister, she was a bit disappointed that Henrietta was so engrossed in her conversation that she didn't notice them.

“So have you been at court long, my lord? I don't recall seeing you here before.”

Louis and Bridget

“I danced with quite a few. I received some excellent advice tonight, and I've had no trouble at all attracting dance partners. And do you know what I just did?” Bridget grinned mischievously. “What you told me to. I followed a gentleman out of the ballroom and then returned only a few minutes later. So if any of the rumormongers saw us, they will be disappointed because I wasn’t gone long enough to do anything scandalous. I doubt the gentleman even knew I followed him. I just saw him walking out and decided to pretend I was with him.”

When Louis leaned toward her, she could feel his warmth and smell his scent. A sweet ache ignited between her thighs. “Yes,” she whispered simply, a crimson blush splashing across her fair cheeks.

"Well I think we should just begin with a simple ride. Besides no one really 'hunts' in this weather' and I do not think Lord chichester will be deterred by having to wait til Spring."

She smiled at him again and it was then that he placed his hand over hers without a care infront of Lady Tamsin and any that might be watching making her heart somersault and her breath quicken. His words said next made her gave a small 'oh' as she held his gaze.

"You are full of surprises My Lord. And so I must needs be in return." Here she looked to Tamsin adding "We are not yet contracted yet I have given Him my heart. I am His."

Her gaze went back to George then. "I would have us remain as such, here in this place, yet you are right. Yet I care not if any sees how I am placed! That Happy am I."

His kiss was a Seal as well as a Salute and she accepted both with a smile and eyes that glittered with unshed tears as she watched him walk away.

"You must forgive such a display Lady Tamsin - I ... We are not in a habit of Public displays for obvious reasons. Now." Taking a breath she set to change the topic.

"Shall we follow suit? Perhaps you might like a stroll about the hall? Or I could see you returned to your family? You must say. And we shall think of a time to meet just us two shall we ..."

Frances made a gesture to rise. Time to circulate once again. She had to remain until the bells chimmed in the New Year and then she'd ask to be excused and make her way to her father's set of rooms.

She wanted to be alone with her thoughts and to plan for the New Year.

The prospect of a thrilling hunt dulled Georges' wits it would seem, as he entirely misunderstood Frances alternative suggestion. "Oh yes in spring of course. The fun shall be increased by the anticipation." he was happy to accept the ladies explanations that somewhat absolved his error - yet he was feeling so comfortably pleased at that point that he was not even bothered of his mix up.

Yes he was very pleased to come to feel that Tamsin was now made he and Frances first joint friend. It felt like an achievement to him. One he celebrated by admitting Tamsin into the very small fold of people who know of their hearts. Perhaps Tamsin would come to assist them, in the relay of messages to and from?

For her part Frances responded so happily to his announcement. He did hope that her patience and trust in him would one day be rewarded by a fully public announcement, that one day it might be their names read in the banns. "Thankyou." he replied to Tamsin's well wishes, then to emphatically agree she'd be invited to the wedding!

But then it was farewells, a reluctant departure.

"Ladies, your company has been a pleasure, a certain high point for the Ball." he further bowed before he took his leave.

George seeking Henry Howard jnr or Henry Cavendish snr.

For had to seek our Norfolk’s son yet to lead a conversation upon tolleration etc. George also wondered if he might spot an opportunity to discreetly greet Frances father with well wishes for the new year? Not that he would press for fear of angering the man (It was an uncertain path he needed to tread.)

Charles and Elizabeth

Charles cocked his head and watched as Elizabeth tapped a finger against her chin in one of those elegant, quintessentially feminine gestures that so fascinated him as a lover of women. There was a certain... delicateness to the action that captivated him. It always amused him, in quiet moments, that such minor, modest things could attract him more than all the bared flesh in a brothel.

But perhaps I am simply a snob, and find blue blood most attractive of all.

"Glaring daggers you say? I confess I struggle to imagine why a gentleman would offer a young lady such offence as to provoke such." He smiled at Elizabeth. "Particularly when there are other things he might offer her. To whit, let us to the dance floor."

Waiting for the nest dance to begin, Charles noticed Elizabeth's backwards glance, and guessed what, or rather who, she was looking for.

And what would our little mouse do if she saw me with her sister?

Charles swallowed a grin, and shrugged in answer to Elizabeth's question.

"You would not have, my lady. I have been at court a mere week. I am but lately come to my title, and spent most of my youth abroad." His eye glinted. "Well, misspent."

George, Frances, and Tamsin parting

Tamsin was too new to court to know that couples didn't usually declare their affection for each other before they were betrothed. George and Frances were lucky that she wasn't prone to gossip and was good at keeping secrets. She might tell her mother and aunt that Lord Chichester had other plans regarding marriage just so that they wouldn't pressure him to court her, but she would never reveal anything more.

They both seemed so happy, as if they had always been meant to be together. It gave her hope that she would find true love too.

Lord Chichester took his leave and Lady Frances asked her if she would like to stroll around the room or be returned to her family. Before she could accept the former offer, a tall, finely-dressed gentleman (the same one who had been watching and eavesdropping on them, though neither were aware of it) approached her, bowed to both ladies, and asked Tamsin to dance. Not wanting to be rude, she accepted. “I will find you after the dance is over, Lady Frances,” she said, and then took the gentleman's arm and followed him to the dance floor.

Charles and Elizabeth

Particularly when there are other things he might offer her? Did he make a pass at Henrietta? That would certainly explain why she's afraid of him. Men had propositioned Elizabeth as well, but instead of running away from them, she generally slapped them with enough force to leave red hand-prints on their faces.

She was flirtatious, but she knew what her father expected of her and she would never compromise her purity. Unlike some young ladies, she understood exactly what those cads wanted from her, thanks to the racy novels she liked to read. Her father would be furious if he knew about them, but she kept them well-hidden. Henrietta had caught her reading one once, though, and had been shocked. Her sister had all the makings of a prude.

“Maybe that's exactly what happened.” Again, she carefully watched his face. “He offered her something that frightened her and she wanted to spare me the same thing.” Elizabeth could actually see him propositioning ladies, but in a subtle and witty way. Most of them probably accepted rather than refused. He did have a very potent allure.

“Only a week? Did you come just for Christmas?” She hoped he would be back next season. “You didn't like living abroad? I have heard many intriguing tales from people who have visited foreign countries, but I have no desire to travel myself. I can't imagine any place more exciting than London.”

Charles and Elizabeth

Charles arched an inquisitive eyebrow.

"Is she so anxious then, that a gentleman asking her to dance would upset her so? Or... ah." He smiled. "That is not what I meant," he teased, amused at the conclusion Elizabeth had drawn.

It genuinely had not been, but Charles supposed he could forgive Elizabeth her misinterpretation, given his appearance and demeanour. Not that that forgiveness would stop him from making fun.

"The very idea," he mock-chided, lip curling upwards. "A gentleman does not proposition timid little creatures like your sister. It would be positively gauche."

"Hmm? Oh no, I loved my time on the continent. I would still be there if not for..." he hesitated a moment, unsure if he wanted to broach the topic even tangentially, "My father's passing." He shrugged. "But, if you would forgive the presumption, if excitement is what you desire, well, London has a great deal to offer, but the continent is rife with it, and all with the added allure of the exotic and unfamiliar. Venice, Vienna, Prague... I could stand here until next December and still have not finished listing."

Francis & Dorothea

Francis, Dorothea, & Anne

"Then perhaps when not so many eyes are upon us?" Anne replied smoothly, unabashed at Francis artful decline, "besides I rather prefer dancing in private."

Oddly enough Anne was looking at Dorothea by the end of her comment. "Oh... ah ha." Dorothea wished it was just she and Francis talking again, and so was then relieved when he offered her his arm to go and dance.

The scene thus moved, later plan accepted between Anne and Francis with a genteel nod - and Bradley looking about for ladies (when he tried to catch Anne's eye she avoided the eye contact).

To the Dancefloor:

"We forgot to ask Bradley how his conversation actually went.”

Dorothea spoke without regret, then letting go of his arm and with a broad smile moving to stand opposite him ready to begin the dance. He was quite pleasant to look at, it had to be said!

Francis had a good feeling his cousin could handle herself and felt no shame in leaving her avoiding Bradley's eye. Dorothea was neither a Villiers nor a Stuart and thus needed his attention far more.

"Somehow, I think I shall get the more amusing version from Lord Sussex," Francis whispered as they headed to the dance floor.

As she let go of his arm, he breathed in her ear, "I may need some subtle aid, I truly am not the best dancer."

Then they were standing opposite each other. He did have a very pretty bow at least.

Thankfully, between the lady-friends who had helped him with his actual dancing and Buckingham's prep, once the Duke had him captured under his roof, he was no longer horrid. He probably hit average only because he ironically had a dancer's long legs and more delicate features. The rest was distinctly by the book and without embellished artistry.

Frances with Tamsin Departing

She did nopt reply to Tamsin's request for an invitation - to do so might bring Bad Luck - or so she thinks. They had enough obsticals yet to conquer and so she would not add anything more.

Tamsin was about to reply but the arrival of a Gentleman Frances did not know interrupted and so Frances was soon left on her own with the others' words of looking for her after.

well I wished for Solitute but now that tis here why am I not Glad?

With a small audible sigh Frances rose and began her slow ramble back to her Family Group which is where Tamsin or anyone else would find her.

Anne and Dorset

“The only people I have met so far are the three you saw me conversing with … Lord Denbigh, Lord Ibracken, and Mademoiselle Vauquelin. They are all quite pleasant and currently discussing the size of their tubs. "I suppose that your tub is larger than theirs?”

Her eyes sparkled mischievously. “While we wait for His Majesty to tire of his current companion's lungs, I wouldn't mind being introduced another intriguing courtier or two." The Countess sweetened her hint by pandering to his vanity with a complement: "As a dashing man of status, intelligence, and unparalleled wit, you must be acquainted with almost everyone here."

"A good start I suppose," Dorset replied as to the trio of her latest acquaintances. "Better than the likes you met in the drawing room." By that he meant his fellow Marry Gang. "Everything of mine is bigger than theirs," he added with ill-disguised humor.

"Others to meet. Well, let us see." His eyes scanned the room. He saw Newcastle, the man that wanted to be his father-in-law. Too proper for this one. His eyes then caught George Churchill trying to ingratiate himself with a lady whom he could not identify. Too dull. There was Francis Kirke, who might be perfect, but he was otherwise encumbered with that German thing that followed the Queen around. There was Lady Habersham, but Dorset had no patience with the crone. Had he liked Anne less, he would have punished her with an introduction. Ablemarle was a possibility, but he preferred to introduce her when she was deeper in her cups. The Duke would be wittier then. Ogle might be entertaining. The lordling was trying to dance with every pretty thing and the ball and was meeting with only good luck, as any future duke might. It was then that he saw Baptist May.

"Let me introduce you to the King's Privy Purse, and a man quite indispensable to the King." With that, he led her towards the smallish man attired as a court fop might.

"Bab," Charles called out, to distract him away from a pretty young lady that seemed barely 14. No doubt she was being measured for a royal bed. The slender man turned to the couple. "Dorset. Who is this you are bringing me?" A ready smile appeared on his face.

"I am not bringing you anything," Dorset retorted "other than a lady who asked to meet the most welcoming member of court. Master Baptist May, this is Anne, Countess Cambray. She is feeling quite homesick and I thought you might warm her with a bit of court cheer."

Bab reached to take her hand. "But of course. Welcome welcome my lady. No one here bites, well except for a few. And whereabouts is this faraway home of yours?"

Charles and Elizabeth

Did he not mean his words the way I understood them or is he just saying that because he did not expect a naïve maiden to interpret them correctly? And how does he know that Henrietta is timid? Nothing I have said so far had indicated that she is not every bit as bold as I am. He must have met her before but doesn't want me to know it. Maybe he had no idea that he propositioned a Duke's daughter and now wishes to keep it secret.

Elizabeth was determined to figure this mystery out, but interrogating him was not the way to go about it. And so she let the subject go for the moment and listened to him talk about the continent. Instead of longing to go back home, he seemed rather reluctant to have left. “I do love adventure, but I think that perhaps the Continent offers gentlemen different kinds of entertainment than ladies. If I were to travel, I would probably see little more than my room and have nothing to do but read or embroider.

“If I had your freedom, then I think I would love to visit the Continent. Perhaps I will marry a gentleman who enjoys traveling and he will take me with him. I would love to hear some of your stories, though." Glancing back at her sister, she noticed that she was staring in horror at a beautiful blonde woman who was strolling around the room.

“Look!” she suddenly exclaimed. “My sister is glaring at that Swedish princess the same way she was glaring at that man I mentioned earlier. I wonder why she seems frightened of her.

Anne-Elisabeth and Dorset

“Oh, I don't know,” Anne-Elisabeth replied airily. “The Merry Gang has their own appeal.” She laughed when Lord Dorset claimed that his tub … and everything else … was larger than Lord Denbigh's and Lord Ibracken's. “I would say the same, but like I told you, I never lie. My tub is nice and tight. And usually wet.”

She was pleased when he agreed to introduce her to other courtiers while they waited for the King to be free again. The young Countess watched him as his eyes traveled around the ballroom, wondering who he would choose first. There were so many people at the ball tonight, and all but a few were complete strangers. So far, everyone she had met had been amiable and witty. She hoped that her enchanting companion would not introduce her to somebody dull just to make himself look magnificent in comparison.

The King's Privy Purse. Anne-Elisabeth assumed that meant that the gentleman in question was in charge of the monarch's personal finances and would be an excellent person to be acquainted with. She accompanied Dorset over to a tall older man who had been conversing with a pretty teenager. Perhaps she was his granddaughter or maybe he had an interest in younger women.

An elegant dark eyebrow rose at the exchange between them. The blonde Earl seemed almost possessive of her, declaring that he didn't intend to give her to Master May. Did they exchange ladies often, she wondered? He said she was homesick, which wasn't exactly true, but did make a good opening for a conversation.

Master May reached for her hand and she let him take it, lifting it slightly in an invitation for a kiss. “Thank you,” she replied with a playful smile. “It is a delight to meet you, Master May.”

Her eyes widened. “Not many people bite?” She pouted prettily. “Not even if I ask them to? What if I bite them first?”

He then asked about her homeland. “I'm from Barbados, a land of sun and sea. I'm not accustomed to cold weather, and am hoping to find some warmth here in London. I only arrived yesterday and this is the first event that I have attended.”

Charles and Elizabeth

"There is that," Charles conceded easily. "Your sex is more limited in what is generally found acceptable for them, but I would call your attention to the example of Hortense Mancini. One can do anything one wants, if one is willing to pay the price."

(That suggesting that Elizabeth emulate one of the most extraordinary women of their or any other time was somewhat unhelpful did not occur to Charles.)

He laughed loudly as she told him she would love to hear his stories.

"Good Lord my lady, show some caution in extending such invitations to an old soldier! I'll bore you senseless given half a chance."

He was still chuckling when Elizabeth pointed out Henrietta glaring at Juliana. His impish spirit of mischief stirred to life.

"Hmm? I have always found her highness charming and gracious company. I do wonder what she might have done... Shall we go ask her?" he suggested brightly.