JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

The New Years Eve Ball- Xmas 1677

Blackguard

Francis & Dorothea w/Anne

Anne managed to restrain her laughter, though eyes danced of her amusement at Francis pledge. "Well there you go Lady Dorothea, your honour is practically guaranteed..." she smiled towards the youngster and there indulged in a whim of straightening Dots necklace with soft murmur.

It was the touch that surprised Dorothea of the exchange, the double entendre having gone over her head. She blushed of Anne's familiarity, eyes flitting towards Frances before she straightened her spine. It was beneath her training to act less than composed.

Across the way Thomas Lennard's gaze rested upon Francis only briefly, respective amusements shared, he also saw that his lady wife was in Francis company, before he resumed the conversation with Bradley.

Anne was fully laughing with Francis last round. "I am now wondering just how you thought to impress His Majesty - I can think of one, though it's hardly what should be expressed by a daughters tongue. Mmm... perhaps I could say it was a beach sculpture that fathered an entire bay!" she'd tittered.

Yonder, Bradley had moved apart and was no doubt making his return through the crowd.

Dorothea was laughing less, feeling inclined to a soberer topic, such as the Gentleman of her interest. "So you are only recently raised to title?" she asked Francis.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Louis and Margaret

"I might not ask if it were only Beverly, he's as able to rough it as the next man, and with nary a grumble. But his lady wife is so young and delicate...." she furthered her argument, and it seemed to do the trick. For Basildon acquiesced, promising to look into the matter. Margret’s blue eyes brightened, and she placed a grateful hand upon his forearm. "Why thank you. I knew we might depend upon you."

Beverly would be so pleased! Perhaps at last he'd shuck off that nasty cough he'd gotten.

"Oh now, that is quite all right. I am capable to taking myself off to find my husband, besides, a lady might not be too old yet to pass under a mistletoe or two upon her navigations." she winked and gave a girlish laugh, her mood utterly uplifted with her good news for her pride-and-joy son.

"Happy new years to you Lord Basildon."

George, Frances, and Tamsin, with Charles leaving

...Lord Chichester makes an excellent partner"

George's eyes met Frances own with her comment, it was a quietly given compliment that meant more to him than she might possible know. Outwardly he let it slide past with a lowering of eyes, gentlemanly modesty - while perhaps a truly modest man would deny it outright, he would keep the compliment and hold it dear instead.

"You are a popular man." he bade farewell to Charles with a genial comment, yet after the recently raised Earl had left added to the ladies, "Yet I must be most envied, with the fairest of court as companions." he was offering an elbow to each, with his suggestion of going in search of seats.

Yet would both stay? It was uncertain. What was obvious was that Frances had taken a shine to the other lady, with suggesting that they meet up again sooner than later.

"I must confess I have not picked up a brush in weeks. The distractions of the Christmas season have kept me too occupied, that I have scant time for anything creative. Yours is a timely reminder Lady Frances..." the finely groomed man uttered with a reserved smile for the enquirer, "...that one must never neglect those aspects of life which bring one undiluted joy."

George, Frances, and Tamsin

Lady Frances certainly knew what she was about, suggesting where they should meet and telling Tamsin what to expect. “Sometime in the next week should be fine. I'm sure my mother will enjoy meeting yours, and your aunts as well.” It was possible that they already knew each other, but Tamsin kept that to herself.

Her mother had been a well-known court beauty before she had married a reclusive Earl who had spirited her away to the country. When Tamsin had asked if she missed court, she had said that she had grown tired of it and had been happy to get away from all the gossip and malice. Would she feel like that after a few years too? She rather doubted it. Court was where she was meant to be.

Lady Frances also seemed to think that Tamsin's mother was as ignorant of court ways as she was. She would discover that the Countess was sophisticated and worldly and always knew the right thing to do and say, all things her daughter envied about her.

Tamsin blushed when Lord Chichester declared that she and Lady Frances were the most beautiful women at the ball. She was about to take the arm he offered her when the other lady asked about his painting and he replied that he had not had time to devote to his art.

“You paint too, my lord?” she asked. “My aunt didn't show me the letter that you sent her but she did say that you praised my drawing skills and the sketches I made of the thieves. Now I know why. You're an artist too. Art brings me joy too and I paint as well as sketch.” She hoped he would offer to show her his paintings, but she thought that asking would be too presumptuous. They had only just met, after all.

Within hearing distance

The tall, well-dressed man who had been observing the small group had no qualms about eavesdropping on their conversation as he sipped a glass of wine. Nothing caught his interest until the Faraday girl divulged that she had drawn sketches of the men who had attacked her at the weapon shop and had apparently sent them to Lord Chichester.

He would have to tell his master about it, and he knew that he would not be pleased. Then again, they had been disposed of two nights ago, and it was unlikely that they would be able to be identified if they washed up on the shore of the river. Water tended to bloat bodies beyond recognition. Still, he might need to find a way to get his hands on those drawings.

Francis, Dorothea, and Anne

He caught Dorothea's look. The momentary doe-eyed look caught him. The English were far more liberal than Germans.

"You will find, my lady cousin, that I am far more impressed by the mothering business than the fathering business. It also translates that I am artistically more in awe of the female form than the male," he answered, with a wink. That was to say the sculpture was not of His Majesty but of a woman.

As to his title, there was very little point in covering the stickier points of his elevation. She was bound to find out, and at the intersection of title and preferment, he was not doing badly for himself. In another world and an alternate life, he would have already been the heir presumptive to Buckingham. His uncle had said nothing more about those plans, and Francis did not care to ask.

"Yes, it was just earlier this year, so I am in my infancy of peerage," he replied. He had already told her previously that the title had actually been given to his mother, and that he had gotten his elevation by Writ. It might have been some fondness, but it was also highly political; a title was only a good gift if one gained votes in Parliament thereby. His mother could not sit, but he could. "I spent most of my life just plain Francis Kirke, esq., gentleman extraordinaire. Even the Sir Francis was fairly new, only a few years old."

By now he would have thought Dorothea would have known all of that! Dare he hope that everyone had forgotten where he had begun? He would even more highly rank the Duke's skill at training him like he was born that way. Quite a feat. Or perhaps nobody spoke much of him at all, and that was also a perfectly happy revelation!

"His Majesty is very kind to me. I have only good blood to boast, on my mother's side mostly. The Duke is a very fortuitous relation." Then with a laugh he added, "Only because I did not come asking him for money or to rescue me from ruin. They both find something laudable and amusing in me." His eyes crinkled in his assessment. Francis was in the strange situation of not being a boastful sort of his own capabilities but wishing to display gratitude that someone else saw something worthy about him. The easiest way to accomplish both was by doing so with a joke and a smile. He felt quite beneath either lady in his own way.

Frances was pleased that the other had agreed to a meeting. She had no doubts at all that this girl was not accustomed to Court at all yet was acting much as if she were - for that Frances would bend a little. The suspecion about the attraction towards her George was still much present in her thoughts.

She had to smile at the idea of meeting her Mother and Aunts.

"Will she? Then that is a good thing. I wonder, since you have not said, the names of your Parents? Tis possible that it will be a familiar one and so the Duchess and your Lady Mother might have shared remembrances. And The Aunts have long memories as well which is not always a good thing!"

"Since it is I that have invited I will have a Newcastle servant keep a watch for your arrival and then he will see you both to where you need to go. Where are you staying? Are you making use of rooms here at Whitehall?"

Frances was doing a bit of manipulation wanting to gain knowledge of this girl and her Family and she wonders if the leaving off of a name was done apurpose?

She saw too the 'blush' then looked to George her eyes bright at his compliment but before she could respond the other had once again voiced the fact that there was already a shared 'something' between them.

Not eager to judge and realizing that Tamsin WAS new come to Court she held her smile yet her inner self was beginning to think that George was looking in another direction for an attachment since he 'believed' that the two of them would never actually be wed.

Was he?

What did he believe, what did he hope for? The night had disturbed the simplicity of plans that previously made an ultimate goal seem achievable. And now. Well now he hardly knew what to hope.

Yet the message of treasuring that which brought happiness, or really she whom brought happiness, was currently lost on the ears he'd intended hear it. Frances said nothing more, while it was Tamsin who responded excitably.

"Ah, yes, art is my field of modest expertise, a lifetime of devotion to any subject must result in some proficiency hmm." he uttered. Was there a tingling at the back of neck, a sense of being watched? Where any faces around them familiar?

The Earl moved with the ladies to the side of the hall, in the excitement of the celebrations there were few enough claiming the seats. He gestured for them to sit, with a notion to perhaps claiming that in the middle, or if not the one nearer Frances. Surrounded by those standing, their new location was practically secluded amidst the crowd.

He refrained from suggesting Tamsin join the art group he was intending, on account of Frances excitement when'd he d invited her. If he invited Tamsin too, it might seem a slap to her earlier joy. And those conversations in the hall had seemed too precious to spoil now by a careless word.

"I spent a good seven years studying in Italy to further my understanding and appreciation of art forms." Would Frances join in the conversation now, he wondered, or was it too late to further the mental intimacy they had previously revelled within. She seemed to be withdrawing.

Dorset Beckons

The Earl of Dorset seemed in good spirits. There was an interaction with Newcastle and now it was ended. He would need to dance with Frances Cavendish before the evening ended. He had pledged to attempt it. Frances seemed intent to be with Chichester and another lady. As such, it left the Earl to play a bit.

The King was speaking with the Spanish Ambassador's wife but would soon be free. He could make a introduction later. As the wined flowed, introductions became easier. Looking at Anne from a distance, he lifted his arm impatiently as if demanding that she exit herself from her present company and join him for a dance.

Tamsin didn't notice the tension or attraction between George and Frances. Maybe with time, she would learn how to tell what others were thinking by the subtle nuances of their voices or the way they gazed at each other, but she was too dazzled by the newness of court to pay attention to such things now.

“My parents are Thomas and Elizabeth Faraday, the Earl and Countess of Whitney. My mother's maiden name was Ainsworth.” She chuckled. “I think the only thing remarkable about my family is that they're completely unremarkable, so it's possible your lady aunts know little about them. My mother spent a season or two at court during my childhood, but my father prefers the country life.”

Tamsin shook her head at Lady Frances' assumption that they were staying at Whitehall. “We have several houses in the city, but we're residing at a manor that has been in our family for several generations. It was recently modernized so that we could stay there. It's really more like a palace than a manor and it's hard to believe that it was once a humble inn.”

She allowed Lord Chichester to lead her to the side of the room and chose a chair at the end of the seating arrangement. Her eyes lit up when he revealed that he had studied in Italy. “You are so lucky to have had that opportunity. As a lady, that option is unavailable to me but I did convince my parents to hire an Italian art instructor who has been helping me improve my skills for the last three years.”

She turned to the other lady. “Do you paint as well, Lady Frances?”

Anne-Elisabeth joining Dorset

(OOC: Again, I'm reposting, with a few additions, from this thread since both threads take place at the same time.)

Anne-Elisabeth nearly rolled her eyes when Dorset looked at her and immediately and imperiously crooked his arm in her direction. Does he think he owns me now? How arrogant he was! But then he had admitted that fault during the limerick contest. While she wished that she could ignore him, she really wanted that introduction to the King. At the moment, he had the upper hand, and there was nothing she could do but swallow her pride and go to him, even if it almost choked her.

She nodded affirmation that she had seen him and smiled at her current companions. “If the three of you will excuse me, I have a previous engagement I must keep. It was a pleasure meeting you, my lords,” she said to Denbigh and Ibracken. “Perhaps our paths will cross again before the night is over.”

Leaning toward Nicolette, she squeezed her hand and whispered in her ear. “I hope I'll see you later. But for now, take advantage of having these two fine gentlemen all to yourself.” She hoped that the two gentlemen wondered if she was whispering about them … a parting gift of mischief that her friend could tease them with if she wished.

Grinning at Nicolette, Anne-Elisabeth turned and walked away. She hoped that the Merry Gang wasn't watching her join Dorset so quickly after he had beckoned to her. They'll think I'm his bitch, at least until the tables are turned. Then he'll be mine, even if nobody knows it but us.

As she approached the blond Earl, she grinned cheekily. “Are you ready to fulfill your end of our bargain or did you just miss me?” she teased him, boldly taking his extended arm.

Francis hid a smile for the other had provided quite a bit more than just names in her brief speech.

'so her Mother was known here at Court before of after the marriage I wonder? And was there some scandle that then made her leave - for no husband who 'prefers the countryside' will allow his wife to be in London unattended! And this Earl has no lodgings at Court - unusual indeed for even the newest of Earls is given a room or two that is theirs to use as they wish - nothing as grand as Norfolks naturally or even her own father's but rooms were rooms.'

'Curious that they would not make use of it especially for a Christmas Court. And she said there are many properties about London yet I have not ever seen this Palace that was a Manor that was an Inn. But her words came easy so there must be Truth. And so the Earldom goes back beyond the father yet the current Earl prefers not to attend. I wonder what the Countess is like ...'

With a start she realized that she had drifted off in thought and had simply followed the other two taking the seat in the middle absently with George to her left. What had the other girl asked ....

Her face felt warm and she was sure her cheeks were tinged but she held herself as always with her back straight and not touching the back of the chair as she looked to Tamsin saying

"You are indeed fortunate. Alas I am not skilled yet Lord Chichester has said I have 'promise' and so I am indeed Grateful. His eye is very good and his ability even better."

She looked to him then and gave him that smile which was for Him only and thus she hoped he could well read her thoughts at the moment.

"You must forgive me but the Earl's name is not familiar to me but The Duke would know it I should think. Indeed you have been most fortunate to have a Father that thought to provide such a thing. Have you Brothers? I have an older one - and I was fortunate to have been given schooling outside of that taught to me as a girl."

"You must forgive 'us' Lord Chichester for doing what many of our sex do and that tis to speak of such topics. Lady Tamsin is a new face and so I am eager to know all about her ..."

She looked over to where he sat trying to gage his mood, his mind set. She knew he would be a Gentleman and brush aside her asking it of him.

It was also curious that Tamsin did not ask about her Family - or was she already informed of who Francis was and that she was the daughter of the Duke of Newcastle - and currently the most eligiable female at Court.

Francis, Dorothea, and Anne

While Anne laughed with agreement, "I must endorse your artistic inclines then, why perhaps I would even sponsor a sequel!"

The Countess' comment was spoken with a carefree tone, but caused a flash of concern in the other woman present. She felt sudden reserve about the proposed garden outing. But then, Francis would be there, so naught could really go wrong, could it?

As to the newness of his title, there were times when the mind was happy to forget. Yes he had told her before, and she'd forgotten possibly on purpose. Yet titles, precedence and preferment was even more convoluted in the Germanic states. The thing most important to her on that score was his favoured position in the reigning family. And besides, she was not even measuring him that way.

"Ah yes, the pirate-adventurer." She remembered out aloud, and then elaborating for Anne's benefit, "our Gentleman companion has lived multiple lives. I might only hope that my own will one day be so worthy of a recounting."

Anne smiled at this shift in topic, "Well I would say that the way to make a memorable, adventurous even while at court, life is to disregard caution. It is reserve that make people forgettable." She did imagine that Francis, given his circles, would agree - so her comment was primarily targeted towards the youngster in their midst.

"Sir Francis then." Anne replied teasingly to the gent, "Do those ‘laudable and amusing feet of yours dance? I have not seen you on the ballroom flor as of yet. Let us correct that, mmm?"

Which was the unfortunate timing for Bradley to return, his eyes brightening with an opportunity heard - his fascination seeming suddenly 'spare'. "Might you dance with me my Lady Dorothea?"

Dorothea's face dropped - and she looked to Francis for saving!

Meanwhile Anne (aware of the exchange or not) crowed and encouraging "Abandon reserve!"

• 2 weeks later...

Frances seemed to adjust some, mentally that was (her outward appearance was ever perfect in his eyes). George settled into his seat and became comfortable with her next to himself again.

"That is quite all-right Lady Frances, may I reveal that gentlemen are also curious to such things." he turned to hear Tamsin's reply upon how many brothers might she have? With a wink added, "-- the more brothers in a household, the higher the likelihood of a hunt or duck shoot to be held."

"A most favoured education." he replied as Tamsin said she had an Italian art teacher. If ever had a daughter, he'd not be allowing anything like that. "Then your Father is a liberal man." It was a simple enough deduction to make. "I should wonder that if you expressed your interest you would also be permitted tuition upon philosophy and science as well. Lady Frances here has a keen interest in those deeper topics I believe..." he looked to Frances to say more upon if she wished.

George Frances and Tamsin

It appeared that even Lord Chichester had an interest in hearing more of the other girl's family which suited Frances well. She had deduced that the Mother must have taken great time to 'educate' her daughter in what was precieved to be a Great Establishment and if she herself had been such a Court figure why was Tamsin so unsure of herself?

She felt herself blush a little as he then made reference to her own education.

'Lord Chichester and I have had some discourse on many topics Lady Tamsin and I am ever curious as well yet I fear Science tis not so well established and I will admit to the enjoyment of a Philosophical discussion - do you not find the exchange of ideas to be a good thing?"

She had unconsciencly tilted her body towards him from her chair and to any observer it would be clear that there was a comfortable companionship.

George. Frances, and Tamsin

“I've heard that you can learn anything well whether you have talent or not, but it is much easier when it comes naturally. Is Lord Chichester going to teach you to paint?” Tamsin wouldn't mind sitting in on those lessons, though she doubt she would learn much considering that they would be aimed at a beginner and she had moved beyond that stage when she was a young child. She had first started drawing when she was old enough to hold a piece of charcoal and her mother, who was also artistically talented, had taught her everything she knew. It was when her skills had surpassed those of her mother that a tutor had been hired to instruct her.

The Earl agreed that having an Italian art teacher was advantageous and she nodded to his assumption that her father was a liberal man. Tamsin had been warned not to speak too much about her family because some of their ways were unconventional, but 'liberal' and 'libertine' were two different things. “Her stories are as intriguing as her instruction. In her native Italy, she disguised herself as a boy to study under some of the masters. And nobody ever found out. She sold many of her paintings but her real desire was to teach.”

There was a reason that Tamsin didn't inquire about Lady Frances' family. People liked to talk about themselves, and if you were patient, they would often reveal more than they ordinarily would if asked. Now, not only did she know that the other girl had a brother but that her education had been more comprehensive than most ladies were given. No wonder she liked her so much!

“I have three brothers, all younger than I.” She grinned at Lord Chichester. “Oh, there are many hunts. The land belonging to our estate is full of game and I already told you that my father has a weapon collection. I'm not too fond of hunting, though I am better than my brothers with a bow. I mostly just shoot at targets.”

Philosophy and science? Really? Had she just happened upon the only two courtiers in London who could truly understand her? With them, she didn't need to hide exactly why her father was liberal. “Oh, I definitely believe in the exchange of ideas. While I haven't had any specific instruction in such things, I grew up listening to the lectures and debates of the scientists, philosophers, explorers, and other learned men who constantly visit our estate. The pursuit of knowledge is how my father occupies his time in the country and he is a patron of several promising inventors.

“I can hold my own in a philosophy debate but what I am really interested in is medicine … not the treating of symptoms but finding the underlying cause of illnesses and curing them. I am also quite fascinated with anatomy. The human body is a magnificent work of art and science and there is so much still to be discovered about it and the way it functions.” Tamsin blushed. “Forgive me. I didn't mean to ramble.”

Anne and Dorset

She came when he beckoned, making the double earl smile in contentment. Would she come when he beckoned in a different manner. Time would tell.

Anne worried about other members of the Merry Gang present. It seemed that most had followed Dorset in quitting the drawing rooms. The clock was approaching midnight on New Years Eve and there was no better place to be, unless one was being intimate ... and earning points to a prize.

Rochester was speaking with a debutante that was drunk on too many sips of wine. She seemed to find him very charming. He seemed to think how lovely it might be to ring in the New Year with her, even though she was worth a scant one point in the Gang's ongoing contest.

"Why I missed you of course and my arm was feeling so empty and unloved." He was toying with her obviously.

"His Majesty is busily studying the assets of the Spanish Ambassador's wife, " he added flippantly. "She wants to open her ... lungs to him surely, for she is quite a singer. So, I fear we shall need to await our turn. Have you met anyone that strikes your fancy since you left my side?"

Francis, Dorothea, & Anne

"I make it a point, my lady, not to dance with any cousins," he joked. "For then I shall have to dance all night long to be equitable to all of them, and my pride with crumple under the holes people will gouge into their eyes after being subjected to so much of my dancing." His chest rumbled with light chuckles.

As to poor Bradley's desires, he unfortunately added, "In truth, I had actually just asked Lady Dorothea to dance before you came upon us, so I find I must claim my promise to her first."

"There are many fine young ladies looking for dances, though, be enterprising," he encouraged Bradley. "Abandon reserve as Lady Sussex says."

Speaking of that lady. "I should be happy to indulge you in a dance after I convey the lady back to Her Majesty, dear cousin. I should not steal her friend for very long, it would be most inconsiderate."

That way he had given Dorothea a very safe way out of Bradley attempting to claim the next dance after she had finished with Francis. He offered his arm to her with a crooked grin and gave a parting wink to his cousin.

Now to find some mistletoe...

Frances narrowed her eyes a fraction as she listened to the other girl speak her surprise well hidden as more things were revealed.

so the Earl her Father is well-known enought to attarct that kind of attentions from such people? Yet the Title is one I do not reconigze and apparently the same with Lord Chichester so I wonder how much of it is made up? As a 'Patron' his name would be well enough known here in London for All arrive and depart from here as well. He 'persues knowledge' yet does so in the confines of his Estate prefering he is sought out rather then being the seeker. She expresses her education very cleary as if twas the most natural of things - for sons yes but daughters, and daughters of Earls not very.

"Did you indeed?" She said quietly then looked to George adding "I think Baroness Toledo and she are of a like nature - mayhap they should be introduced to the other ..."

"Medicine? How on earth can you express such am interest in that? Tis a field only open to Men - unless you speak of Mid-Wifery but even that to one of your Station is prohibited. I have been educated in the common usuages of herbs and such for the treatments of those under my employ and for when I am to run my Husbands Estates. I am skilled with a needle to sew and can bandage - but there are things that are taught to those of our sex."

"I know the applications of leeches, maggots, mice, ferrets and woodlice; spiders' webs; oil of cloves .... * but what you seek are outside the allowances Lady Tamsin. Even Lord Chichester would I think agree."

** As part of her 'training' in housewifery girls would be taught about herbs etc these are just a sample -

leeches - commononly used (and still occasionally employed today)

maggots - to remove dead flesh (still in use today)

mice - to cure problems such as gout, earache and even to clean teeth

ferrets & woodlice - in the treatment of whooping cough

spiders' webs - used to stop nosebleeds, heal wounds and draw out poison (swallowing a spider was thought to cure a fever)

oil of cloves - to draw out worms thought to cause toothache (if this failed, the tooth was extracted).

Anne and Dorset

“Well, we can't have that, can we?” Anne-Elisabeth grinned cheekily as her fingers began to boldly and suggestively stroke the fabric of his sleeve. She made certain that they fluttered over the bare skin of his wrist every now and then. “And is your arm the only part of you that feels unloved?” She was toying with him too. Never let it be said that the audacious Lady Cambray didn't give as good as she got.

Although she had never set eyes on the King before, she spotted him immediately. Standing head and shoulders above most courtiers, he had a regal and authoritative air, but also seemed approachable. However, the woman he was conversing with was the complete opposite of what she thought the Spanish Ambassador's wife would look like. She was far too young and far too blonde.

The raven-haired Countess came to the conclusion that Lord Dorset must be teasing her but she pretended to believe him. “I've always envied those who could sing. As I mentioned in the drawing room, I couldn't carry a tune if I tried.” She was more jealous of the girl's impressive bosom than her voice. While Anne-Elisabeth was not actually lacking in the bosom department, hers were not nearly as large.

“The only people I have met so far are the three you saw me conversing with … Lord Denbigh, Lord Ibracken, and Mademoiselle Vauquelin. They are all quite pleasant and currently discussing the size of their tubs. "I suppose that your tub is larger than theirs?”

Her eyes sparkled mischievously. “While we wait for His Majesty to tire of his current companion's lungs, I wouldn't mind being introduced another intriguing courtier or two." The Countess sweetened her hint by pandering to his vanity with a complement: "As a dashing man of status, intelligence, and unparalleled wit, you must be acquainted with almost everyone here."

{OOC: In Sophia's side thread, the King left her with Lord Grandison so it's possible he might be free again unless someone else grabbed his attention).

Ambrose and Fiona

Her pouted reply drew his eyes back, and brow furrowed that he'd somehow caused her to take offense. "You've got me all discombobulated." No man liked to admit to ignorance. "I thought you did not like my cockiness last time we met, and now this time, seems you want some more?!"

The glass of whisky received was then upturned and emptied in one gulp.

He could take her back to see his cousin and all, but paused for a bit with a confusion that perhaps the prospect of a shag was back on the table? "Err... perhaps we go somewhere and I can get a good and proper look at you?"

Would she change her tune now he’d spoken thus? Ambrose braced himself for her turning on heels and storming off - Whitehall was so bloody confusing!

Ambrose and Fiona

She was confusing him! How satisfying! Fiona grinned wickedly, but let him come to his own conclusions. Would Ambrose figure out that what had annoyed her during their first meeting was his pushiness and that ultimatum he had given her? She didn't mind cocky men; in fact, she was drawn to them.

Following his lead, she threw her drink back as well and then grabbed two more glasses, handing one of them to him. He did withdraw his offer, and she liked his new one much better. Even his proposition was subtle this time. Just to bewilder him more, she didn't answer his question directly. “Are you sure your relatives won't miss you?”

Louis and Margaret Leavetaking. Seeking Bridget.

He had said he would speak to Arlington on Beverley's behalf, That seemed easy enough. Even if the desired result was not procured, he would gain credit. those were the types of situations he favored -- those that offered either a small victory or a large one. If he did not manage to speak to Bennet this night, he would pen him a letter soon enough.

He had wanted to speak to Buckingham, to see if he was interested in splting the Osborne chit, this evening or sometime soon. While it would be fun to toy with her himself, he preferred the justice of delivering the daughter to her father's enemy as a spoil of victory.

He had also considered finding Roos, or one of the Merry Gang to take advantage of the girl before he did. It would take a great deal of luck to recruit one effortlessly this evening; but, the merriment was great on a night like this and anything was possible.

Louis had promised Bridget a dance, so he might as well accomplish that, learn if she had done the deed he had asked, and scheme further. Now where did he see her last ... .

Francis, Dorothea, & Anne

"Then perhaps when not so many eyes are upon us?" Anne replied smoothly, unabashed at Francis artful decline, "besides I rather prefer dancing in private."

Oddly enough Anne was looking at Dorothea by the end of her comment. "Oh... ah ha." Dorothea wished it was just she and Francis talking again, and so was then relieved when he offered her his arm to go and dance.

The scene thus moved, later plan accepted between Anne and Francis with a genteel nod - and Bradley looking about for ladies (when he tried to catch Anne's eye she avoided the eye contact).

To the Dancefloor:

"We forgot to ask Bradley how his conversation actually went.”

Dorothea spoke without regret, then letting go of his arm and with a broad smile moving to stand opposite him ready to begin the dance. He was quite pleasant to look at, it had to be said!

Bridget looking toward Louis

It would take a few minutes before Louis spotted Bridget reentering the ballroom with a spring to her step and a satisfied look on her face. She spied him almost immediately. Princess Juliana had advised her not to appear too eager for the company of a gentleman she fancied, so she did not approach him. However, she did smile at him invitingly.

Unconsciously or not George and Frances conducted themselves like a couple meeting a new person - their indivdual question questions towards Tamsin working in a complimentary-enquiring fashion.

And natrually blossoming under the attention Tamsin was happy to open up.

A female tutor, ah that explains. George corrected his misjudgement. While there was many a rogue masquerading as an art teacher, it was predominantly the men up to mischief. Hers sounded to be a failed artist (what truly successful artist gives up their craft to teach?) but with the good fortune to have found herself a steady income and perhaps future patronage from the house of Faraday. Georges gaze slid to Frances and there was a barely perceptible nod - for he imagined the conclusions and acceptance was mutual.

"Perhaps we shall have the opportunity to meet your tutor in a future season." he paused, and giving benefit of the doubt then asked, 'Pray what was the name she painted under?" Just in case he'd heard of them.

George was after all planning an exhibition of emerging Italian artists, perhaps he'd invite the artist-woman to put one or two pieces in.

And then Tamin revealed she had brothers - mentioning those hunts that George had cited when Frances had apologised for the mundane nature of her further queries about Tamsins family. "Ah-ha There it is as I said!" he laughed with smiles to both girls - he then turned to ask the naturally progressing question to Frances, "And what of you milady, you are fond of a Hunt? With such a find stables at your disposal, it would be near criminal not to partake."

The conversation happily bounced along, and a notion occurred to George but he resisted. Sitting thus he might so simply rest his arm out along the back of Frances chair. But that would be so very forward, and they here in public. What would her Father think if he saw. It was a strange and rather uncommon (for him) daredevilness within that liked the idea.

"Commendable." George endorsed Tamins fathers patronage of some English Inventors. "I myself am one of Newtons patrons." George had given his sister an allowance for charity, and she'd elected to put it towards the sciences. Following her marriage and departure from England he'd continued the patronage directly.

"It is surely the responsibility for persons with means to assist those without." he posed this in the manner one might state any concept for further debate (Tamsin had said she enjoyed philosophical talk) "though there are some that would say that such charity is secondary, for persons of merit shall naturally rise due to others appreciation of their abilities."

Spoken, he smiled in that way that invited each other to make her comments.

Appearance carefully restored, Charles slouched against a wall with languid elegance, sipping slowly at a glass of brandy. Outwardly, he seemed perfectly composed, lips half curved in relaxed amusement, and his fingers tapping on his thigh in time with the music. Inwardly was a somewhat different matter. He had been fully prepared to kill in the Wine Cellar, and that heightened state lingered, a sort of intense focus that left him filled with frustrated energy and rendered his surrounds an almost painfully vivid jangling riot of sight and sound. The finger-tapping, too, was less a sign of unconscious relaxation than a need to bleed off his excess energy.

And so he stood, gaze flowing over the crowd looking for nothing in particular, breathing slow and even, waiting for the feeling to recede and his natural equilibrium to reassert itself.

Not unlike the feeling that accompanies a frustrated seduction he mused. Nigh identical, in fact. Is that a coincidence, or are the primal impulses to create life and take it so closely linked?

He snorted softly.

Or perhaps I'm simply an aberration.

Lord Chichester seemed interested in meeting Tamisin's art tutor. “She never told me what name she painted under, but if she accompanies me next season, you can ask her yourself. When she learned that I would be spending Christmas here, she went back to Italy to visit her family, but she will return in the spring.” The young girl sighed wistfully. “I miss my lessons. During each session, she always taught me something new.”

She knew that many ladies liked to hunt, and that it was seen as a respectable activity as long as certain rules were followed. Tamsin found hunts agonizingly boring, though she was an excellent horsewoman and proficient with a bow. Sometimes she participated in them anyway, but she didn't feel the thrill of closing in on her prey or the joy in finally spotting a deer or boar. She usually just stayed in the background and conversed with the wives and daughters of her father's guests.

Her head tilted to the side as she waited for Lady Frances' answer to the Earl's inquiry, curious as to whether she liked to hunt or not.

“I have heard of Newton, although I'm not certain if my father ever invited him to our estate. It is difficult to remember names when you are soaking up everything a philosopher says or listening to an explanation of a new invention.” Tamsin smiled at George. “I think my father would like you, Lord Chichester. Do you mind if I tell him about you when I return home for recess?”

She had planned to comment on his philosophical supposition, but Lady Frances' reaction to her interest in medicine upset her a bit. It was a good thing that she had not mentioned dissecting dead animals under the supervision of am unconventional physician, but now she wished she had not said anything at all. It was possible she had ruined any chance of friendship with the other girl.

Tamsin bit her lip as she considered what to say. “I have been taught those things as well,” she ventured quietly. "I know that practicing medicine is forbidden to ladies and I have no desire to become a physician. There is nothing wrong with acquiring knowledge of the subject. Knowledge does not care about gender or status. It is available to all. There are some who say that we don't seek knowledge, but it seeks us so that we can develop it further."

Elizabeth Butler approaching Charles while he's being observed by Juliana

After excusing herself from latest dance partner, Elizabeth Butler noticed the one-eyed gentleman who had upset her sister lounging against the wall. Despite her claim that she had never met him, there must be some reason that Henrietta had told her, with fear in her eyes, to stay away from him. That warning alone, plus her natural curiosity, provoked the pretty brunette to approach him. “Good evening, my lord,” she said, smiling warmly as she took a glass of wine from the tray of a passing servant. “Would you mind helping me solve a mystery?”

Across the room, Juliana of Hesse-Eschwege watched Charles with a smirk upon her beautiful face. Since she and Lord Melville had parted, she had been looking for him. She had not forgotten that night they had spent together and hoped to continue what they had started before the season ended, particularly if he had obtained the gift she has asked for. She had been strolling toward him, but another lady had gotten to him first. The fake princess had no desire to make small talk and she couldn't flirt wickedly with him in another lady's presence, and so she had no choice but to wait until he was free again.

Charles and Elizabeth

It was a mark of his internal distraction that Charles had not noticed that he was being approached. The atavistic energy he had been suppressing surged back at the unexpected sound of Elizabeth's voice, and it was a true effort of will to confine his reaction to a mere lazy turn of the head to greet her. There remained a distinctly raptor-like quality to his gaze, though, a cold, distant, and thoroughly inhuman regard, dissecting and itemising every aspect of the interloper.

She looks vaguely familiar, though for the life of me I can't place her. Pretty little thing.

Seeing neither threat nor target, Charles relaxed, smiling and willing friendly warmth to shine from his eye. He swept an elegant bow and straightened, turning fully towards Elizabeth.

"A good evening made better by company," he replied smoothly. "Charles Audley, Earl of Chatham, at your service, in the solving of mysteries or any other capacity you might require." He gave a sudden, boyish grin. "But speaking of mysteries, you might help me solve one."

Glancing about, he leaned in slightly and lowered his voice conspiratorially.

"Your name."

Frances was listening intently but with an outward nonchalance that came easy to one of her Rank. She had practiced it hundreds of times until the calm demeanor came easly as did breathing.

Interesting that this girl had been given such an education but it was lacking so Frances thinks in one big way - it had allowed her to BELIEVE that what she was learning and the ideas formed would be seen as something one of her sex would favor. There seemed to be a number about Court that held to the beliefs that a woman was on an equal footing to a Man, that SHE had the Right to choose her own way. Nonesense.

"You have indeed had something of an unusual education Lady Tamsin. Your Lord father must be an Exception rather than the Rule! I can not see The Duke making such allowances for me but then we are different so tis unfair of me to make a comparison."

She smiled across at the other. There was no point in opening a discussion regarding the Roles of Women in the fixed Socierty in which they lived - not until she could further investigate the Family - and have a better understanding of how she had lived shut away in the countryside.

"I ride with confidence naturally. Our stables are well known for their horseflesh. Yet I must confess I do not have a love of blood-sports, as Lord Chichester will attest, I ride to Hunt and will take my kill. But I do not attend bear-baitings or cock fights, or dogs either. I am too sorrowful for the bear."

She looked to George for confirmation of her statement.

"I am afraid I will make a poor companion if that is your interest Lady Tamsin. My brother teases on this subject and I have been subjected to more than one forced watch by him and his 'friends'."