JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

The New Years Eve Ball- Xmas 1677

Blackguard

Sarah and Sophia

Sophia believed herself to belong to Don Juan, who was now the most important man in Spain, but she felt no such allegiance to the country itself. Yet it might be wiser to allow Sarah to think otherwise. “I am learning my place,” she replied. “I was raised to be the wife of a high-ranking German nobleman, not trained to fill the role of an Ambassador's wife. I'm having to learn as I go, and I don't feel as if I have any added influence, though I am always looking for ways to assist my lord husband in gaining the respect of the English people. I have not sacrificed my own identity, but my status has changed and I am treated differently than I was when I was a debutante.

“I am still very interested in your guidance, Mistress Jennings, and I look forward to conversing more about this on another day.”

Germans in general were too pragmatic to be superstitious, and Sophia was no different. There had been prophesies about the end of time since the beginning of time, and if it hadn't happened yet, it wasn't going to. The world would exist forever, and even in the far distant future when she was but a pile of weathered bones in a tomb, there would still be predictions of utter doom. Those, too, would prove unfruitful. Or so she believed. Sarah didn't seem to be quite as certain, yet sure enough to wager on it.

At least she approved of Sophia's wish. Like her companion, she would add a few things to it, such as the desire for Juan's safety and to bear him a son. Those wishes were not the least bit selfish, in her opinion. Most people probably prayed for wealth or glory or even the demise of those who stood in their way.

“I am aware that gambling is a pastime that many enjoy, but I have never participated in it myself. I prefer to play games for enjoyment instead of money and until now, there hasn't been anything of which I was sure enough to place a wager.”

She was impressed by Sarah's generosity and her sense of mischief. “Oh, would you? That sounds like a splendid plan. How much did you wager, and shall I give you that amount so that you can prove I bet as well?” Sophia always had some money with her because one never knew when one would come across a useful item or a fun frivolity that one could not do without.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/15/2018 at 3:37 AM, Blackguard said:

"Ah Lord ... Beverley," the older man greeted. "Yes I am well enough. Happy new year. Are you enjoying the ball?" It was hard to imagine a young person that would indicate in the negative.

(OOC - I missed your reply to this bc it was just a one-liner, sorry!)

"And to you as well, my lord," he replied.

As to the question of the ball, he added, "Indeed I am, although the balls over Christmastide are always so much more packed. It is sometimes hard to move, erm, unless dancing."

Being a direct sort of young man and knowing that, like many important persons, the Lord Chancellor was high on the list of person who probably had tons of courtiers wanting to wish him well, Beverley got right to the point.

"I was wondering if you might spare me a bit of your time, perhaps Tuesday or Wednesday morning? I have a few, erm, questions of legality related to naval matters and sources of funding." Then he added, "I would not bother you during Christmastide about such things, but, erm, time is of the essence."

Anne-Elisabeth looking for mischief someone to approach

Lady Cambray paused to take a glass of brandy from the tray of a passing servant and then continued on her stroll, carefully scrutinizing each courtier she passed for one who looked as if he or she would enjoy some company. Anne-Elisabeth didn't want to be alone when Dorset returned for her. He would probably compose a limerick about her lack of social skills.

There were several ploys she could use to gain an impromptu introduction. Now who would like to meet the new girl? There must be a few people who are curious about me

• 2 weeks later...

Anne-Elisabeth looking for mischief someone to approach

"Now there you are!" it was none so other than Mlle Vauquelin, who having competed her challenge with Denbigh and friend now returned to mingling properly.  Her eyes were bright with both curiosity and mischief that perhaps well fitted the parameters Anne Elizabeth had set out for herself.

"Tell me who it was that stole your attention away from us?" Curious indeed, to who had stolen precedence, the pretty Frenchwoman whispered these words to her newest friend behind her fan.

OOC: I dont think Frankie will mind my continueing here though the side thread is not completely wound up yet. 

Edited by Nicolette Vauquelin

Nicolette and Anne-Elisabeth

Anne-Elisabeth turned at the sound of Nicolette's cheerful voice. “Yes, here I am,” she answered playfully. “Did you get tired of discussing tubs?” The Lady of Misrule looked ready for adventure. Perhaps they could involve themselves in some kind of mischief before Dorset rejoined her.

“Lord Dorset wanted to introduce me to the King. He promised me a dance, so he'll probably return soon.”  In truth, it was she who had made a promise to him, but that was just between the two of them.  “He said he had to dance with some Duke's daughter first. Maybe we can come up with a way to tease him when he comes back for me?”

Sarah and Sophia

"Indeed? Then I shall look forward to future conversations in that regard."

Just how truthful the other was had yet to be determined.

"What - you have never made a wager? On Anything?" Her voice was a tad suspicious. "Then you are among the few I think. Do you not fear to be corrupted by doing so now?"

She gave a small shrug. "The amount is insignificant yet the return shall be greater as many have joined in the betting. Since I said we shall 'all live to see another day' I am expecting more than a modest sum. Do not trouble yourself over it. Just tell me how you would like your winnings delivered and where."

Sarah and Sophia

“So do I.” If Mistress Jennings could instruct her on how to use her new position to find good opportunities for her husband to earn the respect of the English people, Sophia would be eternally grateful. Maybe she could even learn how to change the negative opinions most of the English had about Spain in subtle and clever ways. Despite being at court for a year, there was still a lot she didn't know about the way it worked. She had started out as a carefree debutante and had been thrust into the life of an Ambassador's wife without any warning.  Esteban's promotion had been expected, but not so soon. She wasn't complaining; she liked her elevated status and wanted to know how to use it to its full advantage.

The petite singer shook her head, her blonde curls dancing about her shoulders. “Not with coin,” she admitted, “because I was never sure if I would win. I son't see the point in wasting money when it can be put to better use by buying new clothes and jewelry and gifts for my friends. But I can't lose this wager so I am comfortable betting that there will be a tomorrow.

“And no, I have no moral issues with gambling, so placing a bet will not corrupt me.” Almost everyone at court, ladies included, gambled to some extent. Only the very straight-laced and pious types were completely against it and Sophia definitely didn't want to be grouped with them, even if it might gain her points with the Queen.

“Maybe you could bring my winnings to me yourself if your mistress can spare you for an hour or two? Or sending it with a servant would also work. Just make certain that it is not delivered to the Spanish Embassy but to the residence behind it.” She doubted that Esteban would approve of her betting even on a sure thing.

“There is only so much men’s tub discussion one lady can bear!” she replied laughing.

“Ooh is that the same Lord Dorset that is newly annulled from Lady O’Roarke? Or have I mixed him with someone else – it was quite the shock of courts Brighton holiday I tell you! Just one party too many, and both had much to regret after.  Oh my you would have loved to be there when court attended the seaside, it was an absolute scream.”

A pause.

“Where were you last year, where have you been?”

“But anyhow, I dare say I have given you plenty to tease him about when he returns. Are you anxious for him?" said with a wink.  "Well now I am wondering if I can tease you of that too!” Nicci was laughing between taking further sips of her recently refilled wine.

Sarah And Sophia

What an odd creature this Baroness was Sarah thought as she spoke of not wanting to waste money in buying clothing and other such stuffs! Perhpas the frugality of Spain was now being adopted?

"I shall be most happy to play messanger Baroness and it will not be difficult in leaving. Her Grace is much occupied with Family and other Duties and there are enough of us to spare so my absence is fine."

"Will you be joing the Ambassador as the clocks strike? If so I will see you safely to where ere that might be  ...."

Beverley and Finch

It seemed that the young man wished to discuss business.  That was not entirely unusual as many courtiers sought to use the holiday as an excuse to approach the Chancellor about something.  Beverley was known to be an aid to Cumberland, so his purposes were taken more seriously.

"Tuesday or Wednesday.  Yes, I should be in my office Tuesday afternoon.  I am thinking I should have some time to meet with you then, or perhaps Wednesday morning.  You say the matter is serious?  Perhaps you might tell me the issue and I could do some research in the interim?"

OOC~ I overlooked your response. Apologies.

“Very true,” Anne-Elisabeth agreed with a wicked grin, “unless they invite you to join them for a bath.”

She tilted her head slightly to the side. “There are two Lord Dorsets?” From what she had learned of the arrogant Earl, he would not like for another gentleman to share his title, even if said gentleman was of lower status. English titles were strange. From what she knew, one man could be the Earl of somewhere while another completely unrelated courtier was the Baron of the same place. Some nobles had surnames that were also titles belonging to other families. However did they all keep each other straight?

The Dorset she knew would have been furious if he woke up one morning with a hangover and a new wife. He seemed to be as against marrying as she was, so no wonder he had gotten it annulled. Lady O'Roarke, whomever she was, had apparently not been pleased either.

The Countess sighed at Nicolette's description of Brighton. “I would love to see the ocean again. Was it warm enough to swim? Are ladies even allowed to swim here?” She had heard tales that in some countries, women who could swim were accused and usually convicted of witchcraft. The Countess didn't want to make a fatal mistake.

“Last year I was at my country estate, mourning the death of my poor dear husband.” Still grinning, Anne-Elisabeth placed one hand melodramatically over her heart and the other wiped away an imaginary tear. It would be clear that she had not grieved for him overmuch.

She wasn't certain if teasing Dorset about an unwelcome marriage would be wise, but she would remember her friend's words if she wished to use the information against him later, maybe in the limerick rematch that she was certain he would eventually demand.

“He's attractive but I don't want to marry him,” she replied with a casual shrug. “I'll make absolutely certain not to get drunk with him so that he doesn't repeat his past mistakes. I am curious about the way he dances, though.” Not so much on the dance floor as in bed, she added silently to herself.

Sarah and Sophia

Sophia was not aware that Sarah had misunderstood her words. She felt that gambling was a waste of money when that money could better be spent on clothing and gifts. And redecorating the Spanish Ambassador's residence. She would ask Esteban to have renovations made during recess when they were in Madrid. When they returned to London, the décor would be much more to her liking.

“Are you free Sunday afternoon, around three or so? I'm not sure if my husband will be at the Embassy then, but he never bothers me when I am entertaining friends. Our cook will be happy to prepare some tea and pastries for us to enjoy.” She didn't think her meeting with Lord Langdon would take very long, and if Frances was interested, she could bring her with her, as long as she promised to behave. Having tea with two noble ladies who were only a few years older that she was might make her more appreciative of what she had and less inclined to bolt back to the streets at the first opportunity.

“I haven't seen him at all tonight. If he wants to ring in the New Year with me, he should be able to find me easily enough. You can leave me here if there's something else you need do. Or ...” Sophia grinned mischievously, “we can look for dance partners together. I should like to dance several more times before the night is over.”

• 2 weeks later...

Sarah and Sophia

"I can arrange to be free at that time yes. Please do not go to any trouble."

She found the comment by the Baroness about Lord Toledo needing to find her curious - were the two at odds perhaps? Could some 'Truths' in all the rumours actually be correct? Her gaze lingered on her companion taking her in in all her youthfulness pondering just how much of a handful she might truly be.

She gave a laugh her eyes alight with amusement at the request being made.

"Then shall we proceed? I see quite a few groups and would be happy to select partners but then I doubt for a moment you will be lacking!"

“Their very own area – that is very civilised. The English do impress me at many turns.” Dorothea replied, her tone an echo of the voiced sentiment.

And then they danced.  It was fun, the trill of the music encouraged smiles to fresh fullness – though it was not only the music to credit, for she also felt quite favoured to have such a handsome dance partner.

“Indiscriminately?”  she quizzed of his reply, but then hearing her own vanity in saying it quickly rectified, “but of course you would not wish to show one or another any particular favour. For that might give one or another the wrong idea.”  Still a part of her still hoped that he did not want to make just every woman smile.

Seeing Francis eyes lift toward the ceiling, Dorothea’s eyes lifted also.  “Ooh look, I seem to have lured you to the mistletoe Lord Kingston.”  It must have been that the gaiety of the dance was still upon her, for Dorothea was uncharacteristically forward.  “I might claim a kiss of your cheek?”

Their time together had been delightful.  While she had little idea to the punishment she had allotted him, of a future full of dancing at balls (his alibi of ignorance now publicly blown!)  

“Happy new year…” she well wished as he delivered her to the group of Queens ladies. 

"Ah, but see you know it is not indiscriminately, for you are the first to manage it in quite some time," he whispered, mischievously. "It does seem so..."

He smiled as she asked if she could claim a kiss of his cheek. He smiled back at her, lowered down he head and said, "But, my lady, we have spoken of this custom before and I have not forgotten my gallant duty."

Though he gave her enough time to present her cheek instead, he sought to meet her lips in a soft kiss of the holidays, the proper way.

Having finished his pleasantries with the Cavendish scion and his daughter, the Earl of Dorset moved back towards Anne-Elizabeth only to find her in the company of the French lady of misrule.  Johnny was still upset at failing to be the Lord of Misrule this season and Dorset reveled in his friend's frustration.  

Not wanting to cause more tongue-wagging then necessary, Charles moved in full view of Cambray, pausing to give her a come hither look.

Sarah and Sophia looking for dance partners

“It's no trouble at all. My cook is always happy to show off her skills. I think she wishes that we entertained more often.”

Sophia didn't think her remark about her husband was at all strange. She and Esteban had never spent much time together at court events. He went his way and she went hers. If he wasn't off somewhere talking politics or making new contacts, he had probably seen her in the crowd. Her glittering gown was difficult to miss. She expected him to claim her for the last dance, as he always did. They could discuss the ball together on the carriage ride home.

Sarah seemed to like her idea and she looped her arm through the other lady's and prepared to stroll around the hall with her. “Ahh, but I am married and you are not,” she said with a playful smile. “The gentlemen will be more interested in you. Shall we make a small wager on who is asked to dance first?”

With a laugh the Frenchgirl crowed  "... and what I would have said to that shall remain forever a mystery!" Nicolette did like the naughtiness of her newest friend, it was encouraging to her own heart of mischief.

"There is only one Dorset." Mlle Vauquelin therein confirmed that He was indeed the same man as who'd recently been annulled (from none other than her red-stockinged mentor.)  Nicci knew that, but she doubted the new arrival was so well informed.  Here she watched Elizabeth Anne's face to discover her thoughts...

It was certainly good munitions for the teasing that Elizabeth Anne was eager for "...thus you might tease him wildly, to check his ring finger following his dance.  Accidental marriages might happen just about any place!" 

"Oh yes, plenty warm enough to swim." She teetered for a moment, as she considered telling of seeing her Douglas there quite naked after a skinny dip, "They had a pool set aside for the Ladies, it was entirely safe, but contrary to what you would have thought - one had to bob about with some surprisingly dreary sorts. I do not know if any of the Ladies ventured the open beach... really, I think I should have. I bet if we'd know each other then, we'd have swum all about." 

“Oh. I am sorry." Nicci made the apologetic sounds upon hearing of Elizabeth-Annes widowhood. "I do hope it was, ah, mixed news.  L, how might I say, with a silver lining perhaps?" Nicci's other friend Caroline did not seem to grieve much. "Like for instance, you get to be here right now." and right then upon a whim Nicci leaned forwards and placed a playful kiss on the others cheek.

Oh she hoped that the King might happen’d to have seen that.  Still she was following Buckingham advice to be certain that for all appearances her life was the most wonderful, luring him to wish to be more involved!

"Then you are wise as well as pretty." Nicci commended Elizabeth Anne's pledge of disinterest in marrying Dorset. "Besides, from what I hear he has no respect for the fairer sex. His vulgar and crass ways inspired a number of poems to be published -  by none other than his newly ex wife - though that was before they had been married.   I suppose  that was all the more reason for the annulment!" She laughed again.  "Oh dear, what a queer place Court is! We all get quite mixed up with each other, weather we particularly want to or not!"

Anne-Elisabeth leaving Nicci and approaching Dorset

“Then I shall have to guess what you would have said.” Anee-Elisabeth grinned. “There's no telling what kind of images that might pop into my head. There are other activities that one might perform in a bath besides bathing.” Nicolette was one person with whom she did not have to hide her true nature. They were both bold, naughty, and mischievous.

The Countess' expression betrayed nothing when she was informed that there was only one Dorset. If there had been two, she wouldn't be surprised if the Earl she knew demanded that the other change his name or title. “He already knows that I am against marrying again. I made that quite plain at the competition. However, I can tease him with the information you gave me against him later.” Her grin became wickedly mischievous. “When he least expects it and will be caught off guard.”

She wrinkled her nose at Nicolette's description of the ladies' pool at Brighton. “So they just splashed around while still wearing their chemises? How dreadfully boring.” Anne-Elisabeth leaned closer to the Frenchwoman and lowered her voice. “You have to swim nude in the ocean. The waves are too intense and clothing will drag you down. Maybe there will be another holiday there next spring. We should definitely go swimming together.”

Anne-Elisaberh's grin remained in place. “There is no need for condolences. I truly believe that I am better off without him and that I wouldn't have been the kind of wife he wished me to be. I don't think that he would have given the freedom I need. As a widow, I can do whatever I want without asking permission from anybody.”  She was quite surprised when Nicolette kissed her on the cheek. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Dorset moving into her line of vision. What perfect timing!

Dorset was vulgar, crass, and disrespectful to women? That did surprise Lady Cambray, although she supposed that any proper lady would consider it scandalous to ask her to shag him for an introduction to the King. Perhaps his ex-wife had been the proper sort. Not all poetry was suggestive. Maybe she had written religious verse.

“I guess that comes from being in the same place so often,” she replied. She inclined her head toward Dorset. “And speaking of the devil … it looks like he's come to claim his dance. I should probably go to him. Thanks for everything you told me about him. It will be put to good use eventually.” Knowing that the Earl was still watching, she gave Nicolette a kiss on her other cheek. “Maybe we will run into each other again before the night is over and I can tell you what kind of dancer he was.”

With a playful wink, she left Nicolette and joined Dorset. “We need to dance first, my lord,” she informed him. “I told Mademoiselle Vauquelin that was why you had come for me. It will look suspicious if we don't.” She shot him a mischievous smirk. “Consider it a form of foreplay.”

Edited by Anne-Elisabeth Devereux

Nicolette upon a loose end

Elizabeth Anne revealed herself even more daring, it sounded like she had already swum in the ocean naked, sounded like that was the only way she would!  Nicolette felt she'd been one-uped by the recently arrived lady, but laughed outwardly of it.  "You shock me milady!" which seemed to be the effect desired. 

Nicolette was now trying to think of a way to reveal her own adventurous disregard, perchance to surprise Elizabeth Anne too, but suddenly the lady's company was desired by none so other than Dangerous Dorset.  Elizabeth said they might talk again later... and Nicolette smiled as though accepting of this. But still, this was the second time she'd been ditched by the lady.  It was an unpleasant sensation, she hardly wanted to invite a third.  "Careful of your toes!" she crooned a final warning as the pretty swept away...

Taking a sip of her wine Mlle Vauquelin turned to take a soothing, realigning breath.  

Sophia and Sarah would see that they were being observed by Peregrine Osbourne and George Churchill.  Both men appeared to have been drinking heavily as they were laughing heartily at each other's nonsense and quips that few sober men would find all that funny.

Dorset was pleased as Anne Elizabeth arrived on cue, but his mirth was tested by the dance that was compelled.  "Yes, but of course," he replied affably.  He cast a smile at Nicolette, wondering what the two had been discussing.  The French lady had come far.  In prior seasons he had not noticed her as much, but now she seemed entrenched in the right circles.  Johnny was still upset that he had not become the Lord of Misrule, yet the court was better off.

"Come, let's not keep our audience waiting then," he added as he offered her his arm and escorted her towards the dance area.  "Tell me, did you really say that to Mademoiselle Vauquellin, or did you make it up on the spot to get a dance from me?"

Meanwhile, Nicolette was left alone with her thoughts for the moment.  Into her view came John Burgoyne, dressed smartly in a scarlet tunic and a green waistcoat., trying to emulate holiday coloring.  "Happy New Year Mademoiselle," he offered in a friendly but guarded exchange. Do you remember me any more I wonder?   She seemed so popular of late and when last they were together, she had been disappointed.  Nevertheless, he had mustered the courage to approach her.  She was beyond him now, but that had not always been so.  She was a shiny star amongst the ladies present and he could not help but admire her from afar.  Now that he was stiffened with a generous quantity of holiday punch, he wished to admire her up close.

"You look quite stunning tonight," he flattered.  "Perhaps your next dance partner fell down some stairs and was unable to show up.  I swear I did not push him down the stairs," he jested, "but, perhaps, in the spirit of the holidays and a new year, you might grant me a dance?  My skill is so limited that others will credit you with charity were you to oblige me.  Charity is a great way to end an old year don't you think?"  With a fair amount of liquor he was feeling far more eloquent than when sober.

Dorset and Anne-Elisabeth

“I'll keep that in mind,” she called back to Nicolette, throwing a playful smile an a wink over her shoulder. Anne-Elisabeth didn't feel as if she had abandoned her new friend. Flitting from one person to another was what one did at balls. If Dorset had not come for her as promised, other gentlemen would have pulled them apart by asking one or the other to dance. She fully intended to find the Frenchwoman later, unless the Earl planned to shag her for the rest of the evening and he was good enough in bed that she agreed.

She had been afraid hat he might protest and claim she was stalling, but he complied instead, almost as if he had expected her request. He probably thinks I was jealous because he danced with that Duke's daughter instead of me. Or maybe he does believe I'm trying to postpone our tryst. In both cases, he would be wrong.

“If you're half as good a dancer as I am, all eyes will be on us.” With an impish grin, she took his arm and they strolled toward the dance floor. She chuckled lightly at his question. “Of course that's what I told her. I couldn't very well say I promised you a swive and I needed a reason to join you. If you don't believe me, ask her yourself. In fact ...” Lady Cambray narrowed her eyes teasingly. “She warned me to be careful of my toes, though I'm sure she was only jesting.”

Francis & Dorothea

The Germanic girls cheeks flushed into a brighter pink at his whispered tease.  It was a flattering thing he said, he practically claimed she had lowered his reserve with feminine whiles. She, who had none of the court savvy so many other lasses did.  "Are you flirting with me Lord Kingston?  I cannot even claim that I do not like it!"  Perhaps so honestly said that it held a charm of it's own?

A 'mistletoe kiss', when it came, was not upon her hand (like she's seen some give and receive),  was not even on the cheek (which she'd mentally prepared herself for), but was directly upon her lips.  Their lips touching, hers were with a surprised intake of breath, though then tipping into it with a chaste pleasure before quite as quickly they broke apart. 

Her eyes met his, she opened her moth to say something, but not a sensible word could be found. Instead she, pink cheeked, bobbed a further curtsy and turned to scurry away.  The ladies in waiting to whom she found gentle sanctuary were rather less silent however, laughing and titters behind their fans, with many looks in Frances direction.  He could be sure of one thing,  his kissing of the girl was going to be much talked about!

John & Nicci

"Milord Burgoyne." Nicolette greeted the man warmly with a curtsy and extension of gloved hand.  There had been the beginnings of something between them once, she could hardly remember why it had slipped away, her motto was usually to retain as many male admirers as possible!   

"Ooh do you think." her bosom lifted upon a pleased breath, and she moved a little from this side to that to give him a better look at her oh so pretty dress!

It was a very expensive looking gown of plum velvet, the bodice decorated in pale grey satin rosettes, interspersed with clear glass beads that caught the light in a sparkling fashion as she moved. The neckline was square-cut, and there a soft lace tickled at her cleavage, there also hung a heavy gemstone upon silver chain*.  All on tick. Louis was likely to fume when he got the bill! (But she was happily prepared to pacify him, in fact she was even looking forward to doing that!)

John made a joke, and she laughed of the cleverness. "I blame the bows on man gentlemen’s shoes, it is a dreadful tripping hazard. Oh but lets not dance, I far prefer fine conversation. If we wish to get all hot and breathless there are other ways of achieving it!" A saucy tease said with a wink. 

"What news have you Lord Burgoyne? I can tell by your pose that some fine thing has occurred - the boldness it has begat rather suits you. Oh, is it to do with the military perhaps?" Hadn't he once said something of military aspirations? 

* from her first post at the ball

Nicci and John

It wasn't just the pretty dress that John admired.  Really, the French lady was everything a man could want, even wrapped in a bow, or so thought the Baronet Burgoyne. 

"I am no Lord," he confessed, but baronet's deserved the honorific "Sir."

He laughed at her jest, but he was ready to laugh at most anything she said.  She was witty and pretty and he was just trying to keep up.  But, now he was feeling more emboldened.  "Conversation is better," he agreed.  Not known for his wit necessarily, he was feeling more free with his words now that the evening was getting late.

"Yes, exciting news," he gushed.  "I have made good acquaintance with Aubrey de Vere, the 20th Earl of Oxford.  Do you know him?  The name sounds French but he is not.  His mother was Dutch though," he attempted to explain.  "The man is almost as well known as Prince Rupert himself.  He fought in the Civil War and the King named him to the Knight of the Garter and Lord Lieutenant of Essex.  Well, he has his own regiment, a regiment of royal horse named the Oxford Blues.  I purchased a Captain's commission and have become an aide to him.  He is in his 50s, but you would think he is in his 30s with all his energy.  We have gotten along swimmingly and I am feeling quite optimistic about my future.  I could tell you more but I do not wish to bore you," he added with a pause to see if the topic was suitable to her taste.

"More importantly, tell me of you.  Why are you not surrounded by admirers?  Did you send them all away on various errands for you?"

Nicci and John

Memory is a wonderful thing.  Nicci was quite surprised at herself for remembering a significant detail; for John fairly gushed his reply! 

"If not Lord, then may I now call you Captain? Captain Burgoyne has a certain ring to it, being a Captain is such a commanding role, it must be very exciting." Well that much was obvious, she had never heard him volunteer so much with barely a paus or breath.  It was good to see him so exhilarated. She remembered now that she'd met him at her very first English ball, he'd been so nice to her after Roos had been awfully suggestive.

"Oh but I am not bored at all.  Do tell me more.  Oxford sounds like a man much to be admired, and you, his aide, wont that mean you will serve close to his side and be trusted with his full confidence?  Well that speaks quite a lot of your own worthiness.  That a man of his credential and experience has hand picked..."  She did like to see John like this, and wondered now why she'd tired of him before?  Perhaps they had both changed over the intervening months.   

“Moi?” she smiled of his question, it was flatteringly put.  “I was but taking a breath after having met… a lady whom had an effect on me. I think I was not quite myself for a little while. Has that ever happened to you?  Oh now there she is upon the dancefloor with Dorset, I think she may be the most daring lady to have ever debuted.  Do you know what she said, she said that the only way to swim in the ocean is without any clothes. And I think I agreed with her, though how would I even know.”

Anne Elizabeth and Dorset

"Why not?" Charles laughed when Anne stated that she could not come out and tell Nicolette that she had promised him a swive.  "Honesty is a wonderful thing," he continued to laugh.

He was a bit disappointed that she had not constructed the story on the spur of the moment.  It would have been more entertaining.  yet, it might have affected her credibility going forward, so perhaps it was best.

"Half as good as you?  Well, I suppose that I am half as humble," he retorted.  "Do they even teach ballroom dancing on that rock they call Barbados?  Are there even ballrooms there, or is dancing done all outside," he taunted as they moved into position.  "She may have asked you to watch your toes because that would allow you to watch your steps to make sure they are correct.  You know, dancing is different here in London.  You did find a tutor first did you not?" he offered as a tool to shake her confidence.

The dance began and there was no criticism of his style.  He was well-practiced and graceful.  Yet, he did not attempt to demonstrate any particular flourish that she might not be able to match.  One did not wish to make a dance partner seem inadequate after all..

At the end, he bowed and announced.  "A passable effort, for a colonial."  He looked quite serious, though she had every reason to suspect otherwise.

Nicci and John

The French beauty did not seem to mind his carrying on about his appointment.  "Captain is just fine."  He liked the ring of it too.

"Well, do you know the first Earl of Oxford dates back to the 12th Century?  This is an old family.  It is a shame that he has no son and it looks as if the title will go extinct."  In a sense, John was hoping to be like a son to the older man, for he had become a fatherly figure in a short time.  "He was one of the five nobles that crossed to the United Provinces in 1660 to invite the King back."  That was quite an honor.  "He was imprisoned by Cromwell in the Tower of London for eight years during the war."

Nicci seemed impressed that he had become a confidant of the elder lord, so he admitted it right away.  "Yes, he has taken me into his confidence.  This is an important time with religious strife, a pending war with France, and Parliament at odds.  England needs more men like Oxford."  They had spoken about war with France before and it had distressed Nicolette.  John remembered it too late.  It may have contributed to their separate ways.

"I do not want war with France."  He tried to mend things with Nicolette.  "Having met you, I have a new appreciation for the French," he offered.  "Though I suspect you are better than the lot of those other French lords and ladies."

Nicci pointed out Anne Elizabeth.  That lady had a more ruddy complexion.  Nicci's skin was like porcelain.  Anne was pretty, perhaps, but Nicci was gorgeous.  The comment about swimming naked in the ocean disrupted the smoothness of his expression.  His mouth opened to say something but no words came forth.  He shut his mouth after it had been open several long moments.  He wanted to say something inappropriate, but he could not … not to her.  "Frankly, I do not know what to say to that," he laughed.  "Why should you be naked in the ocean, if I might ask?  Why not so when swimming in a lake then?" 

Francis & Dorothea parting | Francis seeking the Duchess of Richmond

Though he had never been fond of the quality, Francis blushed very easily. It was one of those feminine qualities about him that made him too pretty and too gentle for a normal man. One that also contributed to so many miscalculating his age to be far younger than twenty-eight. 

It was far more endearing on a young lady! As Dorothea demonstrated.

He watched as she scurried the rest of the way to the ladies surrounding the Queen nearby. When he noticed all the tittering behind fans, he rolled his eyes, and gave a jaunty bow to their audience of young ladies. At that point, a bit of colour might have come to his cheeks too. Francis was not particularly the sort that sought the center of attention. 

Turning away from the wafting of female voices, he took a breath and then looked about for a moment. Now that he had danced with one lady, there were other friends and relations he should also seek to dance with as well. His secret was out. He could be coaxed into dancing. He had a sort heart and did not wish to disappoint. 

He first looked for the Duchess of Richmond. He had not seen her since their trip on his boat. He missed her banter and such wit would make a dance bearable too. 

Who knew, he might grow to like the activity. 

Nicci and John

“Then in private I shall call you Captain.” Nicci crooned, all the while knowing better than to ignore proper address if midst a formal group.  “Shall you have a uniform?  I can guess it must be blue, shall you have sash and those fancy shoulder decorations too? I would love to see you in your regalia Captain.” She grinned with her first endorsed use of that term.

John’s impress of the Earl Oxford sounded (to an ambitious girl) like a recommendation for feminine focus.  Very few laudable Earls of Ancient title had no heir.  “You mean he has no wife?” she asked.  So surprised of that fact that she asked that question despite the fact the question might not please the bachelor before her.  “Might it be he have been so focussed on his career that he neglected indulgence in fair company…” she mused. (There was another alternative, he might not be interested in women.) How pretty was Bourgoyne? Could he be getting into something he did not realise, she did hope not. He was so happy with his progress!

“Is he here tonight?” she begun to think she needed to meet this marvellous figure.  For curiosity’s sake if naught else.     

“Oh fret not my friend,” she quickly returned as he retracted, or reiterated his talk of war with France. “I understand things rather better now, I no longer take it quite so personally. It is but more politics really. Armies are the strong arm that would press the nations thinkers to concessions they do not wish. It is hardly hatred even, but ideals that drive.”

Mostly she understood that the brutal reality of it, violence and bloodshed, should not be thought about, nor talked about even.  She had made that mistake before and become quite upset indeed!

Recollecting the conversation with her newest friend Elizabeth Anne, put John into a bit of a fluster.

“Well that is a very good question, and I dare say I know just what the answer is.  Namely there is no difference at all – although, she did say something about feeling the movements of oceans currents on the body was especially nice.  Lakes do not have currents do they, eels might brush past I suppose?”

Drawing a breath she gave herself a little shake. “I must confess I have a premonition that, should I spend much time with the lady, I am likely to venture far more daringly than I naturally would!”  Which was possibly good, possibly bad also, she hardly knew which until some adventure with Elizabeth Anne happened!

On 10/18/2018 at 1:13 AM, Blackguard said:

Beverley and Finch

It seemed that the young man wished to discuss business.  That was not entirely unusual as many courtiers sought to use the holiday as an excuse to approach the Chancellor about something.  Beverley was known to be an aid to Cumberland, so his purposes were taken more seriously.

"Tuesday or Wednesday.  Yes, I should be in my office Tuesday afternoon.  I am thinking I should have some time to meet with you then, or perhaps Wednesday morning.  You say the matter is serious?  Perhaps you might tell me the issue and I could do some research in the interim?"

OOC~ I overlooked your response. Apologies.

"Tuesday would be most generous, my lord," Beverley replied. 

"Serious may, erm, be too grave a word," the young man allowed. "Perhaps o-official might be better." 

Though he felt a tightness in his chest for his inability to get it out eloquently, Beverley soldiered onward. "His Highness requires funding for the cannon and for the Navy, erm, as I'm sure you know. Though he will seek funding from Parliament, he wished to know if there were possibly other, erm, options which might be attended to more im-immediately."