JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

The New Years Eve Ball- Xmas 1677

Blackguard

The King, Dorset, and Anne-Elisabeth

Dorset's smug look told Lady Cambray that her compliment had hit its mark. She suspected already that he was one of the wittiest courtiers at court, but she would never admit it to him and pander to his arrogance. Let him think he had to work at earning the praise of a lady who had proved that her own cleverness with words was possibly equal to his. It was more fun that way.

And she did appreciate his contribution to her story, though it had been her description of the Jolly Rhymer that had brought it to life.

She noticed how the King focused on Dorset instead of the other courtiers angling for his attention. The handsome Earl certainly seemed to have his favor, and she congratulated herself on being bold enough to ask him to introduce her.  And the King seemed quite curious as to the identity of the mysterious lady upon Dorset's arm, as he immediately asked who she was.

As she was introduced,  Anne-Elisabeth dropped a respectful if rather saucy curtsy. As she rose, she could feel his eyes on her and she smiled up at him, impulsively holding up one hand to be kissed. “It is an honor to meet you, Your Majesty. I am not sure if my late husband spent much time at court before we were married and I know my mother-in-law prefers the country life. I, however, crave excitement and pleasure. Your court is indeed most enthralling and I am very glad I came,

“And I must say that what I have heard of Your Majesty pales in comparison to reality. You are so magnificently tall! I once knew a gentleman of great height in Barbados who … well, I can better explain it in verse:

“A tall friend was always complaining

That he was tired of people proclaiming:

'How's the weather up there?'

So without any care,

He spit on them and said it was raining.”

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Charles and Juliana, with Elizabeth leaving

Charles' eye tracked the twitching crop, his grin sharpening as exquisite anticipation thrummed through him. This was fun, and made all the better by Elizabeth's seeming ignorance of the innuendo. (Under other circumstances Charles might have made a project of seeking to break down that innocence, but his play with Juliana offered enough taboo thrills to sate such appetites. For now, at least.)

I truly am a perverse creature.

"I do not doubt you," he told Juliana, eye flashing.

He snorted as the talk turned to his dancing skills. 

"I am wounded that your highness would accuse me of anything so humdrum as modesty," he drawled, before smiling at Elizabeth. "And you, my lady, should take care. Keep feeding my ego like that and you won't be able to get rid of me."

He answered her curtsy with a nod and another smile as she took her leave. A charming enough young woman, he supposed, and certainly more interesting than her sister, though the amusement he had been more than half hoping for had never materialised. 

And she pales next to Juliana, though to be fair most of the women I've known do.

He allowed himself a laugh as Juliana's question roused him from his thoughts.

"I assume you remember the little mouse who found us in the maze? Well, young Elizabeth approached me to investigate why her sister was staring at me like I was the devil." Charles sighed wistfully. "I'll confess that I was rather hoping the sister would see the three of us together. Ah well."

He offered her arm.

"Now, are we actually dancing this time, or..." he trailed off, eye glittering suggestively.

Sarah and Sophia

"Well I am acquainted with many at Court so yes Lord Grandison is known to me. Is he? Lord Grandison is indeed 'charming' although he might take some amusements at being called that. Ah that would be impossile Lady Toledo for You are not so easliy forgotten!"

"Well it has been said that the woman's prophesies since September and October have all failed to happen and thus the Citizens that had supported her have now turned. Her husband has been put in charge of her so it is said and what he will do no ones can guess."

"I can not believe that you have not heard this - why I heard several Ambassadors that have writ of it in dispatches sent back to their Masters - that is common enough for all manner of things get spoken of or invented. But then you will already be aware of that."

This a refernce to the last conversation had between the two where Sarah had tried to help Lady Toledo to understand the way it worked at Court and how Tales and Lies are created to suit. It would appear that it had all been for nought. Yet now was not the time to try to start anew!

"Have you made you're New Year wish? I am waiting until the all the clocks strike at once for better Luck." 

King, Dorset and Anne

The King could not recall hav9ing met the Earl of Cambray, but he assumed he had at one time or another.  Perhaps the man was a Dissenter.

The King kissed the hand offered.  It was a formal kiss from a gallant, and no more.

"If you crave excitement and pleasure, I suppose you have come to the correct place.  Little excitement in Barbados these days then?  That is not what we hear," the monarch replied cryptically.  "You have certainly found entertaining company," he assured her, with a fatherly look at Dorset. who returned the compliment with "your Majesty is most gracious."

It was then that Anne mentioned the King's height. making the King wonder is she meant more than just height.  His court was full of suggestive talk after all.  Yet, quite unexpectedly, Anne broke into poetry.  It was most irregular for those that knew royal protocol.  yet, the King was indulgent on New Year's Eve and assumed the lady had been weighted down with libations, like so many.

"The lady is a poet my Lord Dorset," the King remarked aloud.  "Did she find you or the other way around?"

"Am I not a magnet for wit and rhyme Your Majesty," the Earl replied with an immodest grin.

"So you tell us," the King replied in good humor, "repeatedly."

"Lest you forget, amid all your more important duties Majesty," Dorset parried back.

"It seems my lady and my lord that you are in good company with each other  I shall wish you both a Happy New Year then.  My Lord Dorset, do see to it that the Lady gets the pleasure and excitement that she craves tonight."

"I shall see to it personally Your Majesty."

"I know you shall.  My Lady, I shall leave you in good company," the King offered as he was ready to move on to the next supplicants. 

Charles and Juliana

His beautiful blue eye followed the riding crop, and Juliana could see the anticipation in his smile. Was he rising to the occasion already? Her own body was humming pleasurably, her imagination probably running along the same lines as his.

Charles was right. He was definitely not modest, and that was one thing she liked about him. Yet there was no harm in letting the girl think he was. Lady Elizabeth was pretty, and though innocent, there had been an intelligent gleam in her eyes. If he ever decided to marry, he couldn't do much better than the daughter of a Duke, and she would most likely be biddable and obedient and turn a blind eye to her husband's indiscretions.

Juliana laughed when he explained who the girl was. “Ahh, so our interloper has a sister. They do look quite similar, though this one has darker hair. She's also bolder if she walked right up to you and asked why her sister was staring at you. Did you tell her?”

As she took his arm, her eyes traveled slowly around the room. She would also find it amusing if the lighter-haired girl saw the two of them with her sister, but the young woman was nowhere to be found. Maybe she had been so shocked that she had found a place to hide. “The night isn't over yet. If we see her, we can seek out Lady Elizabeth again, but I'm afraid the poor thing might faint if she sees us approaching her sister.” That, too, would be quite amusing.

“Yes, we really are going to dance this time.” Juliana favored him with a stern look and ran the tip of the riding crop along his cheek before holding it out to him. “Be patient, my eager stallion. And put this back in your coat for now. I have nowhere to keep it in my gown.”

Sarah and Sophia

“Thank you,” Sophia said, sighing softly. “I wish it were true, but I am as forgettable as anyone at court.” The King had probably already put her and her request to dance with him out of his mind. Maybe the gift she planned to present to him tomorrow would remind him of her whenever he brought it out to entertain himself, his friends, or his guests..

She had not told Sarah that she had not heard of the doomsday prophet, but maybe her comment had shown her ignorance of the matter. The other girl's remark about the letters that Ambassadors were writing made the petite blonde wonder if she was spying for her mistress and fishing for information about Esteban's own missives. “Yes, I recall what you told me.  I doubt that my lord husband believes such silly things, but I suppose he might mention it just to amuse his master. He has said nothing about it to me.”

A New Year's wish? Was that another English custom? What should she wish for? What did she want more than anything in the world? Juan's child, He will be elated if I give him a son, even if he cannot claim him. “I shall do the same,” she decided. “Are we allowed to share our wishes or must we keep them secret or they won't come true?”

She was quite curious as to what Mistress Jennings would wish for.

The King, Dorset, and Anne-Elisabeth

Anne-Elisabeth had been worried that expecting the King to kiss her hand at their first meeting would be considered too audacious, but he graciously complied. In truth, she was audacious and he would probably find that out in time, as Dorset already had. Tonight, all she was interested in was a simple introduction, which was the main reason she did not say anything that could be taken as sexual innuendo. Well aware of the power of first impressions, she didn't want the King to think she was yet one more lady who aimed to share his bed or for other courtiers to resent her if he showed any special attention toward her.

“The current excitement in Barbados is not the kind I am drawn to,” she explained, assuming he meant the constant threat of piracy and the incessant competition between countries for dominance in the Caribbean. “Although certain types of danger do have an appeal.” Let him make of that comment what he would.

The King did seem fond of the blonde Earl. That one of his favorites had brought her to him certainly wouldn't hurt her chances at becoming popular among other courtiers. And her limerick seemed to have the desired effect, as her sole purpose in meeting the monarch was to dazzle him with her poetic wit. She was tempted to tell him of the limerick competition that she had won, but he would most likely hear of it, if he hadn't already, and she didn't want to brag.

Lady Cambray listened to the exchange between her two companions, chuckling when the King remarked on Dorset's arrogance and he owned it rather than played it down. The King seemed to think the two of them made a good pair, which to her, meant that he had indeed recognized her cleverness with words. She chuckled again at the monarch's request that the Earl make sure she received pleasure and excitement tonight. It was almost as if he knew about their deal.

“I do hope my delightful partner in rhyme is up to the challenge.” Anne-Elisabeth favored Dorset with a cheeky grin and then turned back to the King, dropping another playful curtsy. “It has been a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Your Majesty. I wish you a happy and prosperous New Year as well.”

Louis taking his leave

At last the page arrived and handed the note to him.  The boy had already received a gratuity so Louis merely thanked the lad and opened the letter.  He took a quick look and then folded it and placed it in his pocket hastily, as if trying to hide the contents.

"I fear I must take my leave Lady Bridget," he announced loud enough to be overheard.  "I do hope you enjoy the rest of your evening."  He expected she would.  With a small bow, Louis took his leave and headed out of the ballroom in the direction of the coaches.

~OOC  I have started the separate thread at the boat. 

Charles and Juliana

Charles was indeed toying with the idea of marriage, and it had occurred to the more calculating part of his nature that Elizabeth would, in many respects, make an excellent bride. But that aspect of himself was quiescent, entirely subsumed by his hedonism, and he was thinking no further than Juliana.

"No, I didn't tell her," he answered Juliana with a laugh. "As I said, I wanted to see the little mouse's reaction, and that meant I needed Elizabeth to stay in my company. I am occasionally capable of delaying my gratification you know."

Charles smirked wickedly as Juliana continued.

"Oh, can you imagine her trying to explain why she fainted? I don't think the poor little creature understands what she saw." His smirk widened. "Perhaps, now that we know who she is, we should arrange to gift her... educational materials."

Charles allowed his breath to catch slightly as Juliana teased him with the crop, before pouting as she bid him be patient. (He cared nothing that this contradicted his earlier words. He was a mercurial creature, and reserved the right to be changeable.) Reaching out to take the crop he allowed his fingers to linger on Juliana's for a moment before returning it to his coat.

"As you command Domina," he murmured, and offered her his arm.

"Let us to the floor then."

On 8/22/2018 at 12:57 AM, Hope said:

Dorothea & Francis

Francis correctly deduced that Dorothea, who was neither a Villiers nor a Stuart, did indeed need his assistance the most. To the dancefloor they moved,  and in that Dorothea came to smile of attainment of her evenings singular goal.  She gave a succinct curtsy to her partner, and exactingly took up the correct position ready to begin - yet however crisp her moments the look in her eyes when she met his was utterly girlish in their joy.   

"Do you think they shall have another court season at the beach?  For however entertaining your excursion there with Lord Sussex was, there are some things one must experience for themselves." 

He had hinted to her that his dancing was limited,  to which she just gave a small nod.  As the music begun she moved in a simple and uncluttered way - and if there was any pause out of tempo made no fuss off it. Instead she grinned and took the next step for him to take a cue from... many hops promenades and turns later they came to the end of the dance. 

Dorothea clapped her hands together, and gushed "Oh that was such fun! Thank you Lord Kingston." 

(OOC - I missed this in the jumble ? )

"I think His Majesty enjoyed it, and His Majesty is the driving force behind where we reside at any time, so I think it quite possible," Francis replied. "And to be sure, I should wish you to experience such novelties yourself. The ladies even had their own private area." 

It did matter to him that ladies have such dignities, for he might be a libertine, but he was a gentleman. There were plenty of willing participants in any hi-jinx one wished to get up to. At least, he knew such things would be important to her.

He took great pleasure in the fact that she seemed so happy for him to dance though he was far, far from the best partner. Thankfully, he was passable after many seasons worth of tutelage from lady-friends and then Buckingham's barrage of courtly tutoring. He did make use of her cues and managed to enjoy himself, not feeling silly for once. 

It had been awhile since he had danced at a court event. The last was either Her Majesty or his mother, which meant that Dorothea was in rarefied and exalted company. 

"You are most welcome," he replied, grinning. "Though I see no reason for thanks. You are a very good dancer and making ladies smile is a singular pleasure." He offered her his arm. If he led her toward mistletoe, it was intentional. He did not wish her to miss our on the season's tradition, especially not after what she had said of it. 

"Now that you are safe from young Master Whitehurst, I should also dance with my cousin, and also my lady mother. First, I shall see you to Her Majesty's side so you do not get accosted again in my absence!" he whispered. Where is that pesky mistletoe?

There were any number of female friends and relations that would likely now wish to claim a dance after seeing him engage in the activity! He had sacrificed much for Dorothea! For now he was outed.

Louis leaving, eventually followed by Bridget

Bridget raised an eyebrow in feigned surprise as a page walked up to Lord Basildon and handed him a note, and she looked a bit annoyed as he 'read' it, for no lady liked her conversation with a gentleman to be interrupted, even if they were mere acquaintances. “Very well, my lord,” she said with a mock sigh. “I wish you a Happy New Year.”

She didn't watch him walk away, wanting it to look as if she had already dismissed him from her mind. As he had suggested, she walked toward a group of ladies and lingered nearby. Of course, they didn't ask her to join them, as her father was still out of favor. On some occasions, being avoided could be a good thing. Making her way slowly toward the door, she paused a couple times to sample tidbits from the refreshment trays, and she didn't think anyone was watching when she finally left the hall.  After using the slop jar as a precaution against embarrassing accidents later in the evening, Bridget made her way outside.

Charles and Juliana

Juliana's snort managed to sound elegant and ladylike. “Only when you have no other choice.” She knew how to make him wait for satisfaction, and well he knew it. “I imagine Elizabeth won't give up until she learns why you scared her sister. There will be other opportunities for her to see the two of you together. And if she does faint, she'll most likely explain it by saying that she didn't feel well … which wouldn't be far from the truth.”

She pondered his next suggestion. “An excellent idea but she might be so shocked that she dies of a heart attack. Or she might be intrigued. It's a pity that girls are kept in the dark about sex but I guess it's to keep them faithful to their husbands. Those of us with extremely passionate natures tend to be drawn to seek pleasure on our own, but we seem to be the exception rather than the rule.”

The pretend Princess didn't miss his indrawn breath when she caressed his cheek with the riding crop. Oh, how she loved to tease him! And he was doing the same to her, for the desire within her intensified when his fingers brushed against hers.

“Very good,” she praised him as she took the arm he offered her. “You're learning.” Couples were beginning to take their places when Charles and Juliana arrived at the dancing area and she released his arm and joined the line of ladies standing opposite their partners. As the musicians struck up their next tune, she curtsied to him and moved through the steps with her usual regal grace, entwining her fingers with his or trailing them across his wrist when the dance drew them together. It was coming was coming to an end when she saw the Duke of Ormonde's blonde daughter talking to some other ladies across the room, her eyes occasionally flickering in their direction.

Moving closer to Charles, she whispered: “Our little mouse is across the room behind you, trying to ignore us but not quite succeeding. Perhaps we should wave at her?”

Charles and Juliana

"I should probably be considerably more offended by that than I am," Charles mused drily. "But I shall content myself with asserting that I am perfectly capable of patience. If I appear otherwise it is simply that I will wait exactly as long as I need to, and not an instant more."

Observe as proof the fact that I have not yet thrown you over my shoulder and carried you off.

He smirked as Juliana pondered on Henrietta's possible reaction to the 'educational materials,' his enthusiasm for the idea growing.

"The more I think on it, the more it appeals. Hmm. But what exactly could we send her? I have but one copy of l'Ecole des Filles , and I do not think it likely that another one could be found on short notice..." He shook his head. "Have you any suggestions?"

The topic was shelved, at least temporarily, as they moved to the dance floor. They were a noteworthy couple, in his opinion. Both tall and graceful, Juliana frankly stunning, and if Charles was not he flattered himself that he was at least striking. Their opposing colouring furthered the impression, his tanned skin and dark hair contrasting markedly with her Teutonic fairness. They both danced well to boot, though Charles would freely concede that Juliana was easily his superior there.

And would be even were I not so... distracted by those teasing little contacts.

His pulse quickened for more than one reason, Charles was still a little disappointed as the dance wound down. He had been rather enjoying both it and Juliana's subtle torture. That disappointment vanished entirely when Juliana whispered that she had caught sight of their little mouse, swallowed by a surge of predatory amusement. His lips curved.

"Oh no. Waving is uncouth," he murmured. "We have an obligation to be more elegant in our gestures."

Eye shining wickedly, he glanced about and moved to snag two glasses of wine from a passing servant. Handing one to Juliana, he turned and toasted Henrietta across the ballroom.

Dorset, Anne and the King Departing

It did not take a scholar to surmise what Dorset had in mind with Lady Cambray.  To the King it was obvious and, as such, it was best to let the pair wander off together for a night of merriment sooner rather than later.  No doubt Dorset had sought to impress her with an introduction and would soon be pressing something into the lady soon enough.

Anne alluded to a taste for danger; but then, all ladies were intrigued by it until they had to face it in person.  Still, he imagined that this colonial might have spunk; or, if not, would soon be receiving some.

Dorset led her away from the King and past various groups of courtiers.  "It is an excellent King that we have over England.  Now that I have filled an obligation to you, I have one obligation to fulfill with a Duke's daughter.  After the dance, I have the key to a certain office that I would like to show you."  He need not waggle his eyebrows for it was certain what he planned to occur therein.

Charles and Juliana with cameos from Henrietta and Elizabeth

“Ahh, but true patience is waiting as long as the other person needs to,” Juliana countered. Perhaps his self-control would be tested tonight. She had another assignation planned for after the ball, and she also needed to do a few things before their next encounter. When he had come to her house last week, she had not known what he liked, but now that she was aware of his preference for submission, she could cater more thoroughly to his desires with a little preparation. Most of it was already in the works, but not quite ready yet.

“Oh, you have that book too? I still have my copy. It was quite enlightening when I was a maiden and it was my main inspiration for sexual experimentation.” She chuckled lightly. “My parents wanted me to practice reading French, but they had no idea that my choice of reading material was so disreputable.  As for our mouse, I should like to send her a dildo, but we have to tread carefully since she is the daughter of a Duke. If she receives anything suggestive, even anonymously, she'll probably suspect it's from us. It won't bode well for either of us if we're on the receiving end of Ormonde's wrath.”

It would most likely hurt Charles more than it would her. He was English. He could be shunned or even exiled from court. Juliana could be exiled as well, but it wasn't as if that hadn't happened to her before, and there were other countries where she would be welcomed. France came to mind. Louis XIV's court was known to be decadent. Of course, Charles could always come with her …

Their dance was quite enjoyable. He danced better than he had led her to believe, even while she was tantalizing him with her fleeting touches. Some gentleman had tripped over their own two feet or had forgotten the steps altogether when exposed to those playful tactics. She didn't employ them often, only with gentlemen she took delight in.

His idea for letting the girl know they were aware she was watching them was better than hers, even if he did call hers uncouth. Juliana knew that Charles was just jesting, but reminding him of that comment might come in useful during their next tryst. She took the glass of wine he handed to her, and with an impish grin, lifted her own glass as well.

Henrietta was so shocked when those two immoral creatures toasted her that her face turned as white as a sheet. Feeling suddenly dizzy, she reached out and grabbed the edge of a nearby table to steady herself, being careful not to spill the contents of the glass in her hand. One of her friends asked her if she was all right, and she told her that she should probably slow down on the drinking. Her first instinct was to excuse herself and flee but if she did, they would continue to torment her. And so as her companions went back to their gossip, she raised her glass and toasted them in return. They were too far away to see that her hand was trembling.

Juliana nearly choked on the sip of wine she had just taken. “Well, it seems she has a backbone, after all. What should we do now?”

Across the room, Elizabeth noticed the exchange between her sister, the Earl, and the Princess. Why were they all toasting each other? Henrietta did know them, she was sure of that now, and had been lying to her when she had said that she had never met Lord Chatham. What could the three of them possibly have in common? Her mystery was more intiguing than ever and she was determined to solve it before the night … or, failing that, the season … was over.

Dorset and Anne-Elisabeth

Anne-Elisabeth had not expected the King to spend much time with her. But he knew there was a new, witty courtier in his court now and she would see him again tomorrow evening when she presented her gifts to the royal couple. She allowed Lord Dorset to lead her through the crowd, wondering if he wished her to fulfill her own obligation right away. It wasn't midnight yet, but maybe he was afraid if he waited too long, she would bolt. “The two of you seem to be quite close, my lord. Thank you for the introduction. I do hope I made a good impression on him.”

It seemed that he was not going to call in her favor until after he had danced with the daughter of a Duke. She hoped that he didn't fancy said Duke's daughter and intended to sate his lust for the lady on her. If so, the Countess would just have to make him forget all about her. She knew quite a few sensual tricks with which to titillate him . “I look forward to seeing it,” she remarked with an enticing smile, “though I hope you will dance with me first.” Dancing, when done right, could be a tantalizing form of foreplay.

Strategically positioning herself under a sprig of mistletoe, she glanced up at it. “Before you leave me, would you like a sample of what is to come?”

Charles and Juliana

"A dildo? Hmm." Charles considered. "I doubt she'd know what to do with one, though I suppose it would thoroughly scandalise her in any case." He pondered idly for a moment. "Perhaps a copy of the Decameron? It is somewhat easier to find, and offers a gentler descent to its more... intriguing subject matter. Our little mouse would be taken quite by surprise."

He pouted as Juliana mentioned potential consequences for their little prank, though he supposed she did have a point. Ormonde was famously ill-tempered.

Or was that his brother? Or someone else entirely? Does he even have a brother? I can't quite recall.

"Spoilsport," he whispered to Juliana in spite of that, for Charles had long ago resolved that the thought of consequences would never keep him from anything he really wanted. (Though he still made a note to revise his knowledge of the English peerage. His blindspots in that regard were beginning to have the potential to be dangerous, and worse, embarrassing.)

The dance was a sweet torture but Charles was confident he had not disgraced himself. He was toying with the idea of asking Juliana to find a private nook with him somewhere when she caught sight of Henrietta and his focus shifted. For all that he looked like a hawk there was a strong streak of cat in Charles, and the chance to play with his food was irresistible. (Particularly when he could gently tease Juliana at the same time. She would exact a price for all his little transgressions, and paying it promised to be exquisite.)

Toasting Henrietta, he laughed delightedly when she reciprocated, and lifted two fingers in salute as though she had scored a touch in a fencing match. He was pleased at this unexpected display of intestinal fortitude. It made the little game all the more interesting.

"I'm very nearly inclined to leave her in peace for the evening after that," he mused. "Spirit should be encouraged, no?" He glanced sidelong at Juliana. "And as to what we do next, why, whatever Domina desires, naturally."

Dorset and Anne

Dorset smirked as his new acquaintance seemed impressed with his royal connection.  "He tolerates me I suppose," he offered in a rare moment of humility.

It was not lost on him what Anne was attempting with the mistletoe in front of the crowd.  "But of course," he played along.  He leaned in and gave her a short formal kiss.  He did not wish to have her maul him in front of many busybodies.  "This establishes a very low bar with which to contrast our later office visit," he explained with a look that suggested he was not willing to put on a show for everyone.

"I shall be back soon.  Try and protect yourself from old men looking to paw young ladies at holiday events," he warned with a laugh before separating himself from her.

Charles and Juliana

“She might not know what to do with it, but unless she's been more sheltered than most girls, she should know what it is. If she hasn't seen a real nude male statue, there are plenty of pictures in books. That striking part of a man's anatomy was another thing that intrigued me when I was young and innocent.”

Juliana nodded when Charles suggested sending Henrietta 'The Decameron.' “I would love to see her face when she gets to the first juicy part,” she laughed. “Perhaps we should give her the book and a dildo. By the time she's read it, she'll know what one uses a dildo for.” Even shy, proper young ladies had desires. Some were just awakened earlier than others. “Who knows? She may eventually come to us for further instruction.”

It seemed that Charles didn't mind displeasing a Duke. “I'm trying to protect you, not myself,” she whispered back. There were few things worse than popping out the child of a married man in a moving carriage while betrothed to a King. Juliana had nothing more to lose, but the one-eyed Earl was just beginning his rise among the English nobility. However, if he wished to court danger, she would be his willing partner in crime.

Juliana had to admire Ormonde's daughter for her unexpected show of spunk. When Charles saluted Henrietta, the phony Princess winked at her, although whether she would be able to see such a subtle gesture from across the room was uncertain. “Perhaps we should let her be, and then politely introduce ourselves on another day. I'm curious as to how she will react when we're all face to face.”

Reaching toward him, she ran her fingers across his lips. “What a good pet you are,” she praised him. “I think I should like to get away from this crowd for awhile. Do you know any place in the palace that is likely to be deserted tonight?”

Dorset and Anne-Elisabeth parting

“Was that modesty? From you?” With a look of mock horror, Anne-Elisabeth gasped melodramatically and grasped onto his arm. “Steady me for I feel I might faint from shock!”

The Earl was wrong about what she had planned when she stepped beneath the mistletoe. Knowing that he was aware of her penchant for provactive mischief, she thought that he would expect her to lay one on him. But she had decided to give him as chaste a kiss as he had given her, and she was a bit surprised that they were thinking along the same lines. Maybe we are more alike than either of us will ever care to admit.

And by the look he gave her, she knew that her assessment had been right. He had thought she would put on a seductive display in front of the entire court. One day, she probably would, but if he was her chosen victim, she would make certain that he didn't suspect what was coming.

“At least you could have teased me a bit,” she pouted, her eyes glittering mischievously. The Countess had hoped that he would leave her with somebody interesting, but maybe he was afraid that she would find that courtier more intriguing than he. She supposed she should be grateful that he didn't deliver her to someone who was insufferably boring. Maybe she would come upon a charming gentleman on her own.

“If you see a gentleman wincing and speaking in an unusually high voice, you'll know he tried,” she chuckled. “Now go dance with your Duke's daughter and pray that she doesn't do the same.” Without waiting for him to depart, she grinned and walked away, not wanting Dorset to think she was dependent on him in any way, shape, form, or fashion.

Beginning a slow stroll about the room, she looked around for a gentleman who was either alone or searching for a dance partner.

Charles and Juliana

"Both is probably better," Charles agreed, a statement which neatly encapsulated a good half of his personal philosophy. His eye flashed as Juliana continued. "A tempting thought. She's a pretty enough little bundle, once you look beyond the affronted prudishness. And in truth I do not think she could hope to find better teachers." He laughed.

The laughter gave way to a genuinely pleased smile as Juliana whispered of trying to protect him. It was... touching, he supposed, to have another worry for him. 

"That's very sweet of you," he whispered, "but I never let fear of the consequences stop me from doing that which pleases me." (A statement which, incidentally, neatly encapsulated the other half of his personal philosophy. It was not just that danger added spice, though that was certainly a part of it, but that Charles was resolved that he would live free, not chained by the expectations and morals of others. If that meant drawing the ire of those more powerful, then so be it. Better that than betraying himself.)

Still laughing with delight at Henrietta's unexpected boldness, Charles nodded along with Juliana.

"She has earned a reprieve for now, I think, yes. And I confess that I'm curious about how she would react were we to approach her openly. But we can leave that for a time. Something to look forward to."

He kissed at the tips of her fingers as she ran them over his lips, eye glinting, and then cocked his head to consider the question, a delighted shiver running through him.

"I do not know of any place certain to be private, Domina, but surely we could find an empty room nearby if we look."

Sarah and Sophia 

Sarah wonders if the Lady was fishing for more complements or merely acting. That there were many layers to Her Sarah had already figured out. But for for much longer could she continue to employ her excuse of 'Not knowing how things are done" before it grew tiring and predictable?

"You do a diservice I think to your own capabilities Baroness. One is only 'forgetable' if there is nothing of Substance." She'd continue to flatter in her calm unhurried manner. "I would think he has yet it mattered not enough to speak of. It would be sillyness indeed to not mark all topics for then something valuable might well be lost. I am always reading broadsheets  and listening here and there for things to discuss with my Mistress as she likes to be informed much as the Duke does. Yet there are many that are superstitious and will have taken to their beds buried beneath covers waiting for the impending Doom."

She had made her voice light and her last words made to be of a humorous nature adding a smile to make it more effective.

"I have choosen to be here amongst all the ... Revelery ... have placed my wager that we shall all see the sun rise upon the morrow, and will make my 'wish' as I have said. Some believe that to speak it out will make it never to be. Do you think that as well? As for myself I always ask for the same thing - To keep my Family Safe then I shall add in a few more but never get too greedy. Why tempt Fate!"

She pointed with a finger towards 'Heaven' smiled then took a long sip from her goblet.

Charles and Juliana

Juliana was pleased that he was as adventurous and as unconcerned with consequences as she was. “That makes two of us,” she said with a saucy grin. “Knowing that you feel as I do, I will not try to protect you again.” She also knew now that he was open to a threesome, which could add a new dimension to their relationship. “And you're right. I doubt there are better instructors in that particular pleasure in the entirety of England.

“We shall send her both then. So who shall buy the book and who shall buy the dildo?” An image of Charles purchasing a female sex toy while the seller looked at him dubiously made her chuckle. “If we can accomplish both in the next few days, we can send them to her as a belated Christmas gift. Anonymously, of course. Or we could send her a note telling her where to find them and then hide in the room and watch while she opens the box.”

A delectable heat suffused Juliana's body when he kissed her fingers. She had promised herself that she would make him wait until he could visit her at her manor again, but she doubted that they would be able to keep their hands off each other if they found themselves alone together. Not that she truly minded a short tryst in a private room.

“Then let's go look for one,” she said. Grabbing his hand, she began to pull Charles through the crowd until they reached the doorway and stepped out into the hall. Breaking that innocent but tantalizing contact, she moved away from him and walked at a respectable distance beside him. “What do you propose we do once we find a place where we can be alone?”

Charles and Juliana

Charles considered the questions for a moment, idly weighing their options.

"There is no guarantee that she would follow the directions of an anonymous note. Better, I think, to send them to her directly, so that we can at least be sure she will receive them." His face twisted into a displeased frown. "Though I am loathe to forsake the opportunity to observe her reaction first hand... Gah. I hate being indecisive."

Shaking his head, he moved on (or should that be back?) to answer Juliana's first question. "As to who acquires what, it matters not to me either way." His voice dropped to a purring whisper. "But if it would please you to command me so, I shall buy the dildo."

There was, Charles decided, something rather arousing about being drawn tamely by the hand in Juliana's wake. He could feel his blood start to heat at the images the thought conjured up in his head.

I need to buy a leash as well.

Leaving the bustling crowd behind them, they moved deeper into the palace in search of privacy. Charles found himself suddenly very aware of the scent of Juliana's perfume, of the crop nestled against his ribs, and of his own rapidly quickening pulse. It took him a moment to realise that Juliana had asked him a question.

"Whatever Domina feels might please her best. I serve at your pleasure."

Charles and Juliana

“If she's as curious as her sister, she might do it if we leave the gift in one of the lesser-used rooms in the palace. The music room, perhaps. There's really no place to hide in there, though. Or we could leave it in one of the public drawing rooms.” Juliana grinned slyly. “There will then be other people around when she opens it and we can conceal ourselves in a shadowy corner. Sending it to her residence could be risky because if a servant routinely opens everything meant for Ormonde's daughters, he will bring it to the Duke's attention and it will never get to her.”

She should have known that Charles would leave the decision up to her. “Yes, you buy the dildo,” she said, her smile transforming from sly to wicked.

As they strolled down the corridor, a few courtiers passed them, some of them observing the arresting pair curiously, and others paying no attention to them at all. There were very few servants bustling back and forth, which gave Juliana an idea as to where they should go. There had to be service hallways behind the walls, just as there had been in the palace in Sweden where she had spent most of her formative years.

Charles deferred to her again when she asked what he would like to do when they were alone. Maybe she had trained him a bit too well. “As you wish. But I don't want to hear any complaints when you find out what I have in mind. For now, we need to spot a servant and find a door to the service corridors.”

After a few turns here and there, Juliana saw a maid emerge from a door hidden behind a long tapestry. “There's our entrance,” she said. “Open the door for me.”

Sarah and Sophia

“Thanks for the vote of confidence. Yet there are many intriguing courtiers here, and I am now thought of as part of Spain, no longer my own person at all. My singing will be remembered because of the opera and the concert I gave for the King last spring, but other than that, I am just one pretty young lady among many, including yourself.”

Sophia did much the same, listening to others and reading about current events that might be of interest to Esteban. She did not admit this to Sarah for she was afraid that in her case, it could be misconstrued as spying, and that was not her intention. Both her husband and royal lover had been dead set against her becoming a spy. The only information she imparted to Esteban was commonly known around court and he was probably already aware of most of it.  She would tell him about the woman who claimed the world was going to end, in case he was not aware of her foolish predictions.

The young blonde placed one finger against her cheek and tilted her head slightly to the side in thought. “If you believed the world was ending, would you hide in your bed and wait for it? If I were superstitious, I would spend my last moments here at the ball where I could enjoy myself to the very end.” Exactly how she would choose to enjoy herself was better left unsaid.

“My governess used to tell me that if you spoke a wish aloud,  it would never come true, but now that I am grown, it seems as silly as the world coming to an end.” Sophia felt rather selfish when she heard Mistress Jennings' wish. However, she supposed that a baby would be good for her family by marriage. Esteban would have an heir, whether it was really his or not.

She followed Sarah's pointed finger toward the painting on the ceiling. “I think I shall wish for an alliance between England and Spain,” she declared, lowering her eyes back to her companion. “One that will equally benefit both kingdoms. That is an honorable wish, is it not?

“And can you really place a wager on whether there will be a tomorrow?” Sophia had never gambled before, but betting a few coins on a sure thing could give her a bit of extra spending money.

Charles and Juliana

Charles had never really given any thought to whether or not men screened their daughters' mail. It seemed a curious gap in his experience, now that Juliana had brought the possibility up, but if he had previously had need to send anything indiscreet to a paramour he had not sent it openly, and he had been long gone ere his sisters receiving such became a concern.

"I confess that I did not consider such," he admitted freely. "I suppose we shall have to gamble that she is the curious sort, then." He shook his head. "But the finer details of delivery can wait until we have the presents for our little mouse."

Charles matched Juliana's smile, eye shining.

"Do you wish to witness me buying it, Domina?"  he asked quietly. 

That would be a fun little outing.

Following Juliana through the palace corridors, Charles fixedly ignored all the other courtiers they passed, keeping his focus solely on Juliana, as his role demanded. Suppressing a delighted shudder at her forbidding response, he confined himself to a nod and followed her deeper into the palace until they came upon what she was looking for. Bowing his head submissively, Charles moved to open the door and then followed Juliana into the servant passage.

"Have you further instructions Domina?"

(Sidethread?)

Sarah and Sophia 

"And do you think of yourself as 'Belonging to Spain' Baroness? If so then I am glad that you think as such. How different you seem from previous meetings. You are wrong in thinking that you have been asigned such a placement - tis true you are most attractive and many will remember your voice - yet you are also in a position of, dare I say, influence as well. To Sacrifice totally is foolish. Why can you not retain yourself? How else are you to gather information and thus learn to play the Game as All here at Court do? But the timing is off and so I shall extend the same invitiation as I did afore - in the New Year we two must talk further. That is if you are still interested in what I can offer."

She had continued to smile as if discussing nothing of import and then gave small shrug of one shoulder then took another sip of her wine.

"If I believed such then I would not be here now! Yet come Sunday I shall kneel in Prayer and Give Thanks To God for being 'Saved' and light a candle and drop a few pennies into the offering box. Well We are a auperstious lot in all Truth and so I shall not be alone in doing that I assure you."

"Ah. Yes a Diplomatic Wish. Indeed. Very Noble."

"An Englishman will 'wager' on anything. I am surprised that you seem unaware of such for all your travels! As to where to wager well there are many in the Hall that are seek to make profit and my own was done thru a Gentleman of Acquaintance and as it is so close to midnight I think it too late but shall I tell you what I wagered and since the Sun will indeed rise upon the porrow and I go to collect my winnings. I shall say that You too placed a wager, thru me, and then he needs must pay up for that as well. I will not be refused and thus you shall have the coin."

"Will you agree that is a good scheme!"

Her eyes twinkled in amusement at the idea and she wonderd if the other would a go along.

Francis & Dorothea

“Their very own area – that is very civilised. The English do impress me at many turns.” Dorothea replied, her tone an echo of the voiced sentiment.

And then they danced.  It was fun, the trill of the music encouraged smiles to fresh fullness – though it was not only the music to credit, for she also felt quite favoured to have such a handsome dance partner.

“Indiscriminately?”  she quizzed of his reply, but then hearing her own vanity in saying it quickly rectified, “but of course you would not wish to show one or another any particular favour. For that might give one or another the wrong idea.”  Still a part of her still hoped that he did not want to make just every woman smile.

Seeing Francis eyes lift toward the ceiling, Dorothea’s eyes lifted also.  “Ooh look, I seem to have lured you to the mistletoe Lord Kingston.”  It must have been that the gaiety of the dance was still upon her, for Dorothea was uncharacteristically forward.  “I might claim a kiss of your cheek?”

Their time together had been delightful.  While she had little idea to the punishment she had allotted him, of a future full of dancing at balls (his alibi of ignorance now publicly blown!)  

“Happy new year…” she well wished as he delivered her to the group of Queens ladies. 

Charles and Juliana

Juliana shrugged. “It sounds to me like what an overprotective father would do if his daughter receives an unsigned letter or package. We'll have to creative as to how we let her know there's a gift waiting for her. And yes, those details can wait unti later, when everything is ready. I do think she'll be curious. I wonder if she'll bring her sister with her for moral support.”

She adored Charles' devious grin and a golden eyebrow rose in amusement at his question. “Of course,” she replied. “Perhaps we'll find something that you'll like too. I haven't yet given you a holiday gift.”

As she stepped through the door into the service corridor, she paused as a new and more interesting idea occurred to her. “I've changed my mind,” she announced with a smirk. “We're going somewhere else and then I will have instructions for you.”

~ continued here.