JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

The New Years Eve Ball- Xmas 1677

Blackguard

Cordelia

Arlington had lectured an impudent servant that had seemed to have imbibe on cider intended for others. As such, he made the matron wait. When he turned he saw that her. "Ah Lady Lucas. A happy new year to you. Are you enjoying the ball then?" He had been hoping to get a chance to speak with the King, but the monarch was surrounded by his retinue at the moment.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beverley

"Of course we can, my dear. I never thought anything else. I wish all to know how pleased I am with you."

Mary beamed at the sweet compliment of her husband. "As I am pleased with you too my lord."

Off they went to dance, as she requested, and the young wife enjoyed the opportunity to move gracefully with her husband while surrounded by a throng of other courtiers similarly motivated to enjoy some proper energetic amusement. When it was done, Mary thanked her husband, indicating a hope that they might dance together again that very evening.

"Yes, I shall be proactive," she promised. If Beverley were to search near the King, he would see Rupert beside Peg Hughes. It was clear that his leg would not accommodate a dance so he was likely encouraging her to dance with another.

The Chancellor was not with the King. Rather he was off to a side, chatting with another jurist about topics that had no place at a merry holiday party.

Tamsin, George, and Frances

Langdon was left to wonder whether any of the new trio had seen him in the company of Fiona. It was something he hoped would stay hidden.

"Lady Tamsin," he greeted, fortunately remembering her name readily. "Lord Chilchester." They asked about steps taken to apprehend the brigands at the weapons shop. Although he had instructed his men to be alert to learning more, Charles had been too distracted of late to follow up. As commander he assumed that if anything had been discovered it would be brought to his attention.

"The search continues," he began. That sounded neutral enough. "No arrests yet I am afraid."

It was then that Frances Cavendish arrived. He needed no introduction. They knew each other somewhat well enough. He had danced with her at prior balls. He had even broached the idea of marrying the lady to Ablemarle and Ogle one hazy evening. He had thought they might all become closer comrades with the union. Oddly enough they had not seemed keen on the idea. Perhaps the Earl's reputation with ladies was a negative. Or, perhaps the fact that he was not of a particularly prominent family had worked against him. Of course, they may have just been too drunk to have given it serious thought. Frances Cavendish was one of the greatest prizes at court.

"Lady Frances, how good to see you again." Oblivious to any tension, Charles hoped to change the topic from his shortcomings in identifying the criminals. "A happy new year to the both of you. I hope you will each save a dance for me," The dances would need to come quickly for it was rapidly approaching 10 pm and he would need to slip away to be with Davina, and then slip away at midnight to be with Susan. So many plans ... so little time.

"No wonder His Majesty likes me," Francis replied, cheekily.

His inner critic believed the King favored him because of his father and his similarity to his father, and little reason beyond that. Well, that and perhaps that he had proven useful in the merry-making department, but that was hardly a credential to place as the pinnacle of one's purpose.

"I do not see the Dutch ambassador," Francis said, using his height to scan the crowd. It oft was not an advantage because one was still trying to see short people in a sea of short people. "I do not know if I would recommend myself as the best accompaniment for a visit to the Dutch ambassador," he added, cryptically, making a bit of a dramatic face before smiling.

"As to a German ambassador, I have never given it much thought, but perhaps because it is more than one sovereignty, is it not? Are there no representatives of such families here?" he asked her, not being of great political acumen himself, but needing to learn much more to do his position any justice. Not even Buckingham could teach him everything that fast. "I think I would fare better with the Germans than the Dutch. I do not have privateering history with any Germans."

Quite the opposite. He had business dealings with them, or at least with Sophia's father before he had passed.

"And you shall, I am not so much a Heathen and a rogue to skip chapel." Actually, he was, in many ways; however, he was required to be of the state faith and it mattered not one bit to him which particular faith's dogma he practiced.

"And as such, I shall not be the one to test the limits of your reputation's virtuosity," he replied. "And a good servant would not place their king or queen in a position of needing to vouch for behaviour; at least I cannot, I do not have the stature for it or license." He licked his lips, "My reputation is not as resilient for having had a father of a poor one."

To even say 'father' irked him enough to shove a pain in his chest. His real father was nothing like that, but Charles Kirke was a far cry from Francis Villiers.

As they arrived by the drinks, he asked the servant serving them, "And this is?" He was not certain anything pepperminty would be his choice, although he should have thought about the usefulness of it for a kiss. He had not forgotten about her fear of mistletoe and did wish for opportunity to assuage her fears.

Francis & Dorothea

"Oh..." it had not been immediately clear to her why he'd not be the best to introduce her to the Dutch Ambassador, until he explained his preference for one Teutonic. Dorothea's attention rounded on him fully, her eyes blinking in that 'trying to imagine it' sort of way. He was far too finely dressed to visualise as the stereotype pirate, too well spoken, and seemingly gentle in nature even.

"That is probably it," of the reason there was not a German ambassador she nodded, "though if there was to be one I'd think they should be from Karoline's fathers house, for surely her marriage to King Charles has elevated his status amongst the other German houses." or so she naively mused.

The conflict of his past and his present was still tumbling about in her mind as he set aside the daring of library excursion (with good grounds) - leaving her to nod of it then to take up one of the green liquid filled glasses. "Then I’ll expend my daring upon drinking of the unknown." she took a sip.

She wrinkled her nose discovering a sticky sweet yet quite spicy flavour. A servant supplied the identity as Chartreuse, made by Carthsian monks. "I expect it is an acquired taste." Dorothea replied, taking a tentative second sip to see if it got better.

"My Lady." Perhaps Francis had seen Bradly’s approach, but he had caught Dorothea by surprise - yet the young man did seem to be attempting amends as he here bowed deeply to one and then the other. "And Lord Kingston. You both look, ah, fine. Especially you Lady Dorothea. Not that you don’t look just as fine Lord Kingston, it’s just that I… well, er… ahh. Well you know what I mean. "

Dorothea gave a small smile, her eyes darting to Francis.

Chatham, Willoughby & Shrewsbury - out into the hall

"Is the Queen going to take the clock with her?" one of the youths asked, baffled by the Lords reply.

"No he means... ah, well I don’t know what he means." The one holding the chair added.

Shrewsbury was last to exit the room and found the suspicious looking group - and with bemuse asked, "What game is afoot here?"

"Oh, nothing, nothing at all my Lady." the third expressed emphatically, "come along boys, best we off."

Chatham, Willoughby & Shrewsbury - out into the hall

Charles suppressed a smile at the youths' confusion. Had he ever been so young? It occurred to him to him that they might well see him as old, a thought so strange that he had to shake his head to clear it.

"I presumed that you wished to know the time, and thus said that the hour must still be early as the Queen has yet to retire," he explained drily, a hint of his amusement dancing in his eye.

He mastered himself as Shrewsbury joined them, holding up a hand to stay the youths in their exit.

"Hold a moment, lads, and indulge a not quite reformed rapscallion in his curiosity. What are you up to, hmm?" He grinned boyishly.

Lord Melville kindly introduced her to a few individuals as he had promised but no long conversations resulted as first one then another gentleman approached her for dances. Of course she refused none of them and enjoyed herself with each number, it was nice...make that exciting to actually be wanted and desired even if it was just for a dance. By the third dance however she was ready to take a break from it and her current dance partner....she had already forgotten his name. The young man complimented her prowess on the dance floor and asked if she would like to accompany him for some fresh air out on the balcony. Well, hopeful as he was, Caroline thought him rather unappealing and besides did not fancy freezing out there in this fine ball gown.

"Kind of you to ask but..." she never got further though because the fellow was chased off rather abruptly by someone she actually knew alright, Rowland. After the other night, they certainly knew each other quite intimately plus he was smart too, he knew what she liked.

"Ahh, a drink. You are my savior. All that flitting about has made my mouth dry," Caroline took the offered brandy and gulped some, "I am now refreshed, thank you, my lord."

She knew where he was looking, but in truth he'd already seen them before. Always the realist, Caroline knew they were not that impressive compared to many women but he had certainly enjoyed them the other night.

"I have been told before that I am indeed.........energetic. That's me...full of life," she smiled, "And what are you full of?"

Clockworkers Inc

"Oh. Yes we wanted to know the time." Charles provided the perfect alibi and the first lad was quick to seize it. "Yes we really wanted to know the time, life, it is so fleeting," he added in with a dramatic hand to his breast, and a wink to his friends. "Don’t you agree my lords, my lady. Like my old tutor always said Carps and Deums. Something about fish that go off quick if you don’t eat them straight away. Seize the moment was the other thing he used to say. On that note we best be heading on!"

The lad carrying the chair swapped it to the other side, and flashing a smile took a step headed off.

But then the Gentleman with one eye waylaid them. (And yes Charles looked positively ancient to these three.) "Nothing at all sir." the boy closest ducked as they made to nip away, but if Charles was quick he might catch hold of his coat.

Clockworkers Inc

Charles bit the inside of his cheek to hold back his laughter. These were obviously not the same calibre of young rascal that Charles himself had been.

I was a better liar when I was six.

He took a moment to give his own companions a side long glance, eyebrow arched in amusement. In truth, Charles was almost offended at how poorly the youths were attempting to evade their inquiries. As the escape attempt began he decided to do something about it.

The spokesman was close enough to grab. Charles elected to trip him.

Francis & Dorothea

In Lord Kingston's defense, he was wearing a dangly, sapphire earring even though earrings had more been in fashion 40 or 50 years earlier*! Who would not think privateer from this peacocked-out lordling with gleaming gold ringlets and fancy shoes!

"Well, I was not slashing throats professionally," he whispered, jokingly. "Well, not many throats. And only in battle." He paused. "Mostly." He raised a blond brow at her as if to wonder how serious she thought him?

In truth, how serious was he? It might be hard to tell from his youthful, more feminine looks. Aside from height, Francis was not the most imposing man by any means. She had never seen him with a sword. Perhaps His Majesty or the Duke would like a sparring encore with some female onlookers!

"At the very least someone from the house of Her Majesty's father would have better likelihood of bending someone's ear," Francis supposed, with no particular acumen for the guess than the lady.

"To the unknown," he cheered her on, watching her face before grinning. He wrinkled his nose as well, "Monks, eh? I think I stick to the spirits of the Italian monks! Or the monks of the islands..." As in rum.

And then there was Langdon's pup of a brother. He gave the boy a nod. It was hard not to crack a smile or outright laugh as the boy sputtered.

"All is well," he barely got out as he breath hitched with a chuckle that wanted to come out but was choked away. "I fear, though, that sort of gentleness is beyond me." Yes, he had just told the boy that he did not like men, knowing full well that was not at all why Bradley Whitehurst was there speaking (sputtering) to them.

(*Imagine this in Francis' hysterical inner monologue voice, as if he was narrating himself LOL)

Tasmin George Frances Charles

Too well bred but nevertheless struck by the other girls leave-taking afore an introduction Frances gave benefit of the doubt yet her cheeks carried a tinge of pink at the idea of a cut direct as she turned her attention to Langdon and moved away.

George might notice so attuned to her was he.

Yet she answered back with a smile

"I shall be delighted Lord Langdon and Happy New Year to you. Is there trouble then? I could not help but overhear ...."

(did I miss an introduction btw the two girls?)

Cordelia

"And to you My Lord - let us Hope twill be a Prosperous One! You are being distracted I fear and so have not had the opportunity to enjoy it as you should. Can I tempt you with a drink perhaps or lead you in a direction you wish to be?"

She was perhaps too bold yet they had already conversed at some length and so she was relaxed enough to explain past a mere acquaintance.

Duncan had done as Ellen suggested, and called the attention of a passing servant, who had provided them all with drinks. He then smiled, and bowed to Lady Campden as she expressed her desire to retire to compose herself. “I am sorry I was not able to catch the intruder, my lady”.

Telling Ellen to please wait for him, he then introduced Caroline to a few gentlemen, which had the effect of snowballing the invitations to dance. So much so, that he lost sight of her. I need to remember that she will need a carriage home later on, Duncan reminded himself. He would look for her as things died down.

From afar, the viscount noticed that Fiona MacBain was in attendance, and that she was dancing with Charles at some point. Good! She won’t get in trouble as long as she keeps sensible company, Duncan thought.

As he turned to get back to Ellen, he overheard a phrase that catched his ear. "I must have a copy of that book!". trying to not be too obvious, the Scotch half-turned to see who had uttered those words, and in whose company that person was…

OOC: sorry for the absence, it was a technical glitch of some sort that has only been half-resolved.

"The Duke is more than a village," Ranelagh countered with a bark of a laugh. "One does not traverse within his village withough permission, but the village has a circle instead of a square, you see. Thankfully my longest companion, Denbigh, is the Duke's cousin, so I'm familiar with his town circle." He chuckled at the map he set out before her.

"You mean you have yet to have a throng of young ladies eager for your help in gaining the eye of we many court gentlemen of your acquaintance? Pa, but I am shocked, what with your circle of male admirers. They are so very handsome."

He took the offered glass. "Are you going to serve me misrules too, or simply drink? Or drink before misrules?"

As to her looking for a sponsor, he said, "I shall happily match what Lord Worcester and Lord Basildon place to the affair." Naturally, he assumed the gentleman most closely attached to each lady were contributing so he felt his offer easily generous.

The King on the move

The King was never one to wish to stay long in one spot, and tomorrow promised to be a long evening of sitting. Instead, he was seen laughing with Captain Herbert for a few moments. Then he shared looked conspiratorially chipper as he spoke to the young Earl of Derby.

Currently, he was speaking to a blond whose face was obscured by a few ringlets.

Another nearby group of young ladies giggled, one hiding behind her fan with very expressive eyebrows.

Buckingham with his sister, the Dowager Duchess of Richmond

Would anyone recognize the sister of the Duke of Buckingham from any of the parties that week? She looked quite different in an impressive gown of blue glittering with silver and pearl embellishments. She seemed preoccupied, and for the time he tried to make her smile. Something about mufflers and mittens. There was a small roll of her eyes.

Douglas approaches Duncan

Alas, if Duncan were seeking to listen further to that voice speaking of books, he would have found it drowned out by a voice rather louder, and more ebullient. Douglas was having a good evening. He'd bandied a few limericks with the Merry Gang until he got bored, had a measure of very good whiskey on board, and danced with some lovely ladies, of which he never became bored. So far, so good.

Leaving the Gang behind, he'd gone in search of some more of the latter two, whilst keeping an eye out for two people. One was a certain fine, young lady whom he was very much hoping to see - and possibly do, if she was thus inclined - and the other was his brother-in-arms, perhaps soon to be brother-in-law(-in-law), Duncan Melville.

Nicely toasty, the sight when he finally caught it of Lord Melville brought a great stirring of brotherly fondness to Douglas's heart. Here was a man who was good and true, uncomplicated and honest, and he was right glad that there was such a close tie between their families. Brain still in limerick mode, he didn't hesitate to state his thoughts.

"If fate haed set a diff’rent scene

An’ were kinder tae me as a wean

I’d hae haed a brother

Like ye, an’ nae other;

Lad, yer a sicht fer sore een."*

The rangy Scot declared enthusiastically, as he finished with a bow and a broad grin. "Melville! The verra best o' the close o' the year tae ye!"**

subtitles

* "If fate had set a different scene

And were kinder to me as a child

I'd have had a brother

Like you, and no other

Man, you're a sight for sore eyes." (Yeah, it doesn't work in English. XD)

** "Melville! The very best of the close of the year to you!"

George, Charles, Frances, and Tamsin

Despite her exquisite clothes, her glittering jewelry, and her regal demeanor, Tamsin had spent her entire life in the country and was new to courtly ways. She didn't mean to be rude and figured that Lord Chichester would follow her over to Lord Langdon, presumably bringing the lady who had spoken to him with her. Which was exactly what happened.

The robbery was not the main reason she wanted to speak to Lord Langdon, but she appreciated George asking about it, for she did want to know if those awful men had been caught. Perhaps it was only fear that made her think that she was being watched. This was her first court event so, of course, people would be curious about her. She tried to tell herself that she was just being paranoid.

Tamsin sighed when Charles revealed that no arrests had yet been made. “I hope you catch them soon. It is unlikely that my jewelry will ever be recovered, but that's not my main concern. They need to be stopped before they rob other innocent young ladies.”

That simple explanation would hopefully answer the other lady's question. “Yes, Happy New Year to you all. And I would love to dance with you, Lord Langdon. Is now a good time? There is something else I would like to ask you about as we're heading to the dance floor. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to answer your letter because ...” She glanced toward George with a grin, “Somebody told my aunt what happened.”

Duncan

In his half turn Duncan would see two men speaking with one another. One had a dark complexion of a southern European and the other looked English. Both men were likely in their 30s or 40s. "Perhaps, if you are lucky," came the reply.

It was then that the Scot saw Douglas approach.

Cordelia

"I shall walk with you," Arlington agreed as he signaled a servant to bring beverages. "What are you drinking?" His white staff of office was held in his hand proudly. It rarely left his hand, much to the chagrin of a pack of pranksters awaiting their chance.

The Earl sensed that Cordelia wanted to speak with him about some matter, so he quietly accepted a glass of red wine and awaited her thoughts.

Douglas and Duncan

Duncan tried to memorize any distinguishing features or mannerisms of the two men, not only their features, hoping to be able to recognize them if he saw them again. That one seemed to be a foreigner and the other English would help, he hoped.

He did catch an additional phrase. Perhaps if he is lucky? Lucky with what?

He was quickly distracted, though, by a booming voice with a thick burr that immediately brought a wide grin to the viscount’s face.

“The verra best o' the close o' the year tae ye also, Dundarg!” Mimicked the Lowlander with a thinner, but still noticeable burr. “Are ye a welcome sight!”

Two loud Scots were not the most… refined of sounds, but the friendship and camaraderie were definitely genuine. Propriety be damned! Duncan thought as he gave his friend a hearty hug. “Tell me, did you bring your sisters to the ball? Or will I have to wait until your Hogmanay celebration to give my regards?” All the MacBain girls were dear to him, and he had made it a point to find a New Year's present for each.

“Question, Dundarg, would you like to meet Mistress Ellen Doolittle? I was just on my way to rejoin her…”

Trying not to be noticed, the Lowlander attempted to overhear if there were more words exchanged by the pair of men, as he conspicuously scanned the ballroom looking for his sister in law.

Twa Scots

Douglas of course was completely oblivious to the fact that Duncan was trying to overhear another conversation and right chuffed at the show of affection, which was returned with a bear-hug and much back-slapping. No, two Scots might not be the most refined, but they were perhaps, in that moment, the most genuine. One did not doubt where one stood with them.

That Duncan asked after his sisters only endeared the man further. "Shona's playin' wi' t'other wee 'uns, an' Fiona's dancin' awhaur aboot." He'd seen her a moment ago. "Aileen's a wee bit young yet wi'oot Cat tae help wrangle, an' Cat's doon wi' an ague." He related. Douglas was doing what he could for the family but on his own it was a little limited. How Catriona managed he would never understand. "Nae doobt they weel aw be pleased tae see ye taemorrer!"

Over Duncan's shoulder, Douglas noticed Buckingham with La Belle Stuart, who looked unusually subdued for a lady of her spirit and temperament. How odd. But then, such parties were not to everyone's tastes, though they were usually to Richmond's. "I fear Shona isnae likely tae e'er be the life o' the baw." He admitted a little more quietly to Duncan. "She likes her buiks an' a quiet spot by the fire." Something which perhaps his friend understood better than he did. "Alas I dinnae ken many folk o' that nature."** The look he gave Duncan was entirely unsubtle; might Melville have an in in such circles? Douglas felt that it would be good for Shona to make friends and acquaintances with similar interests.

Such was not a matter resolved right now however, especially when other opportunities were more immediate. Douglas's blue eyes lit up at Duncan's suggestion. "Laddie, I wuid like nocht better."*** He declared. As good as his word, Duncan was proposing to introduce him to a woman who might make for a very comfortable future, and cement their families' ties. Promising though the prospect was, Douglas was keen to meet Ellen before speaking with her father. It didn't hurt to have the lady alongside the idea either.

Subtitles

* "Shona's playing with the other little ones, and Fiona's dancing somewhere about.Aileen's a little bit young yet without Cat to help wrangle, and she's down with a cold. No doubt they will all be pleased to see you tomorrow!"

** "I fear Shona isn't likely to ever be the life of the ball. She likes her books and a quiet spot by the fire. Alas I don't know many people of that nature."

*** "Man, I would like nothing better.

Caroline & Rowland

Rowland's eyes creased with amusement to her reply. "You may count upon me to remedy your lips hither or thither with liquid refreshment!"

The miss was thirsty indeed, so that having downed the first glass so swiftly Rowland, gentleman at heart, gave her the other (he'd collect a replacement for his own glass from the tray fo the next passing servant.)

"Well I have been told that I am full of a lot of hot air!" he laughed self-mockingly, "alas my stilled waters, my soulfulness of character eludes many." he rose and eyebrow at that, "yet to answer your question my Sweet Countess, for you I am a cup overflowing with admiration of your person." he proffered his elbow with thoughts that they might stroll through the clusters of groups, taking in the sights so to speak.

Clockworkers Inc

The lad splattered full length on the floor - his utter lack of ability to catch his tripped step might have one wonder if the youngster had been partaking of his elders New Years drinks?

Jonathan stifled a grin behind a pressed fingertip, and wafting about his frilly kerchief moved forwards feigning an effort to help (but did not).

"Oy that was not fair..." the lad grumbled as he scraped himself back up.

Shrewsbury had seen someone back in the banquet hall and left the boys hijinks behind....

Louis ...lest auld acquaintance be forgot

It was a glimpse of Basildon that had drawn Anna Talbot back into the hall, her hands unconsciously moved to rouch the fabric of her dress and (needlessly) smooth her bodice as she approached.

"Basildon darling, how delightful to see you again..." she approached warmly with air kisses, before stepping a half step back and with dancing eyes she asked, "And how fares everything? Shall we dance…"

His wife Lisa was currently abroad leaving him looking charmingly available.

Clockworkers Inc

Jonathan had the grace to at least attempt to hide his amusement. Charles was less restrained, and grinned openly as he leaned forward to help haul the youth to his feet.

"Even more of a child than you look, to prate of fairness," he observed drily. "In any case, run along and play your games. But, for God's sake, put a little more effort in, would you? It embarrasses us all by association when you make such a poor show."

He handed the young man his glass and clapped him on the shoulder.

"I'm sure the servants can tell you where to find a clock," he whispered conspiratorially in farewell.

Turning back to Jonathan, Charles raised an eyebrow at finding Shrewsbury gone.

"We seem to have lost the Countess," he drawled softly, eye gleaming wickedly. "Ah well, we shall just have to press on in search of mischief ourselves, hmm?"

Francis circle grows...

Fortunate for his raised eyebrow, which reminded her of his dry sense of humour, Dorothea gave a (relieved) laugh.

"The waves of court you now sail, with plunder of a different sort!" Talk of slicing throats fictional or not, did not sit easily in her mind. "I am so pleased for you, and the civilised life you now own."

Setting down the glass, that tasted no better upon second sip, the young lady suggested, "Lets try that other next." Did he mean rum by mention of island priests, she knew rum was the drink of the Caribbean.

Yet even as the next drink was being considered, Bradley arrived. Taking Francis geniality as a cue Dorothea supposed it was only Christian to forgive past errors. "And you look hale and hearty too, Master Bradley." said she.

The young man gave Francis an appreciative nod, nerves of approaching them now starting to ease.

"His Majesty hosts a fine celebration. I wondered if there might even be fireworks at midnight. Might you have heard anything of that sort My Lord?" his eyes slid back to Dorothea, whom he thought real pretty. But he'd learnt not to be too forward towards her, so tried not to address her directly.

Gravitating towards this growing group then arrived Anne Lennard sans husband (as was the norm) connected to Francis via the extensive Villiers family tree. "Fireworks?' the young Countess, drest in forest green velvet voiced interest and also awaited Francis reply...

"A circle, ah yes, that is the one most dizzying to stand amid, turning around and around with awe!" Nicci chirped in return. "But you are right, village sounds far too common, His Grace is of finer things. Perhaps Domain is the better word?"

"Denbigh?" she'd heard mention of the man, though not yet met him. "Is your dearest friend here?

I would love to meet him..." how better to know the man she would marry, than by knowing his friends.

"La, it is a dreadful oversight." Nicolette understood it was an error on her part as Ranelagh laughed of the sense of such an arrangement. Inhaling dramatically she loosed a sigh. "Yet how does not control an ambitious group of women? I have had a little experience with a whip, but..." she laughed, "more with the carrot."

And to be honest she did not feel anywhere near secure herself yet. Hard to rule without a foundation.

But such thoughts slid away as he sipped his drink voicing a most charming thought - revealing he desired a distraction of an amusement, a misrule. And an idea was swiftly found. "First a drink." she downed hers just like that, "then a Misrule, the mixing up of best friends. You are charged with best friending my best friend lady Kendishall, while I shall best friend your Denbigh." she looked about again. The King was talking to a blond youth, was that Ashburnham? The King was merciless in tease-matchmaking him, Nicolette could guess that hid behind the curtain of curls were cheeks a bright red. "There she is, Caroline," a pinky finger lifted it’s place on empty glass and pointed at Caroline, "now where is yours, Cherie?"

"We'll talk more of this yes." of the gardening plan she said, as she became too distracted with meeting his Denbigh.

"They surely shall not elude you for long."

George asserted of the vanished miscreants, a statement done for Tamsin's benefit really - within the Earls eyes he conveyed concern to his fellow Earl. "Err..." he looked at the young lady again, who'd approached him with such delicately voiced plea. He was a sucker for a gentle young lady. Dainty manners inspired him to heroic notions. "Errr...." though he really did not want to volunteer, Charles lack of progress, or anything to report, seemed to leave him little alternative but to offer:

"Perhaps I shall look into the matter myself." this he said to Tamsin, "I do not have so many distractions as Lord Langdon with all his duties and responsiblities. He looked back to Charles, "You have probably heard of my success in discovering the murder of townswoman Mrs Wyatt last season. Further in my resume was the hunt for justice for Lady Digby. I've something of a nose for suspicious activity... and can run a quiet inquiry in paralell with your mens work. Many hands make lighter work."

Yet the subject was turning quickly, and onwards to dancing. Charles made a request of the ladies, at which point George realised he'd been remiss to not have broached that festive subject with any himself.

"Ah yes, Happy New Year." the serious fellow uttered then, and as Tamsin locked in a dance with Charles first he turned to Frances. A dance would be good, during a dance they could not talk, and she'd not be able to ask him about the meeting he'd had with May. He's not need to tell her that he'd had entirely the wrong idea. "Would you like to dance my lady." he bowed to Frances and extended his hand.

Louis and Shrewsbury

Basildon had expected that it would be Lucinda that would find him first. Instead, it was Shrewsbury.

Anna Maria Talbot was an interesting person. A renown court beauty, she had worked her way through a score of lovers, if gossip was to be believed. Louis, himself, had sampled her charms as a younger man, after she had broken with Buckingham. He had sampled the charms of many older women when he had been left to support himself. Interestingly, Ann Talbot was only 35 years old, even after decades of scandalous conduct. So, she was still an attractive woman to any man with a discriminating eye. Rumor had it that she planned to wed again, though Louis would believe it when he saw it. She seemed to enjoy being a maverick. Maybe he was wrong. Now that he was aligned with Buckingham he would need to be more careful. It was unclear what he thought of her after a four or five year separation.

"My lady," Basildon greeted with a bow. "Happy New Year's Eve to you. May I say that your beauty remains timeless?" he flattered. "I would be happy to share a dance. Just tell me what sort of dance you had in mind?" he jested.

Frances Cavendish agreed to a dance and he nodded with a smile. he hoped to complete his dance with both Tamsin and Frances before slipping away a few minutes before 10 pm. There was a rendezvous he intended to keep. "Grand," he replied, "perhaps right after Lady Tamsin?" Frances asked after trouble but Charles was unsure how to respond, wanting to protect Tamsin's privacy. Yet, the matter was rather obvious as George commented upon it.

"Some brigands accosting ladies along the Strand," he replied generally. "All the more reason to insure you have an escort when shopping." That seemed to be sufficient.

George offered his services in finding the miscreants. Of course a soldier could never admit that he needed help, especially in front of a lady. "We will find these blackguards eventually." Since George was part of the incident, Charles was more indulgent of his offer. He could not very well turn down offered help when in view of the wronged lady. "If you are able to learn more, I would certainly welcome it," Langdon offered amiably enough. "Do keep me informed of progress and I will do likewise."

Leaving George and Frances

It was then that Tamsin and he took their leave. "I thought my letter proper. What did your aunt say?" he inquired as they moved towards the dance area.