JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

The New Years Eve Ball- Xmas 1677

Blackguard

Chatham & Willoughby

Jonathan’s eyes flared appreciatively at Charles cocky strut, the most pleasant sensations sweeping up into his body, an urge so pleasantly primal. He leaned in to whisper something to the Countess, who turned and locating the latest subject of conversation theatrically lifted her opera glasses to view his approach. A reply was murmured back to Jonathan, a reply that seemed to please the dandy, who chose that moment to preen his cravat...

Then Charles was upon them (having mounted a few of the steps to reach them). "Chatham!" Willoughby crooned, "You adorable creature, what is this you’ve done with your hair, we simply must know the name of your hair dresser mustn’t we Countess..." his eyes glinted with a deeper happiness. "But have you met Lady Shrewsbury?"

"Darling, remember to breathe." Anna Talbot chuckled towards the excitable Jonathan, as she then extended her hand in the ritual of greeting Charles Audley. "I am pleased to meet you at last Lord Chatham, why you were practically present at cards last week, I feel I know you."

In '75 years Willoughby had the misfortune of enjoying a dip in popularity, Shrewsbury had been one of the few ladies of court to retain him upon their guest list over the past year or so. She had been pleased to see Willoughby's situation slowly improving - and now this, his new friendship with Chatham seemed to be a further positive thing.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Francis & Dorothea

"Aha, you are a liberal man, why quite as liberal as a Dutchman might be even!" She chuckled, meaning it as a compliment. Her view of the Dutch was that they were rather openminded with ultimately very balanced views as a result.

Then Francis spoke rather openly of risks of traditionally abandoned places tonight. The young lady realised she should have guessed as much, and felt suddenly a bit silly. "I did not mean to suggest..." Her cheeks turned a bright pink as he even teased her about it. Inwardly squirming she dared to meet his eyes, calling him bluff. "Lord Kingston desist. You must know I'd not want to spoil your reputation by any questionable behaviour - why even though you batt those lashes at me and use a voice so balmy." Calling his bluff she tried tease him to embarrasment in return.

She was completely out of her depth by saying this, and hardly knew where to step next! Why hadn’t she stuck to a nice sensible conversation about the allegories that could be drawn from the book of Job.

On the subject of the occult (was that a less treacherous topic or more?) Dorothea lowered her voice to reply, "But Catholics... who confess upon a Sunday ready to sin again on the Monday, theirs would not be your example to follow." She was pleased that Francis incline was to savour the unknowing of the Future anyhow. "Yes, I agree. Who would give away their future into the hands of a mystic." and like Francis had said, not all futures were kindly told.

"Well that is fortunate, for I do not think I am one who shall fit in a box. Let us then agree to celebrate the uniqueness to us both, and by that I shall admit that I privately relish the serious depths to conversations. It is a whole other sort of daring to talk these topics that most at a party would avoid." she flashed a smile and for a moment looked terribly young. "Lord Kingston, let us take a toast together. I would like to sample that green drink you see, I think it might be just the right refreshing taste for our conversation."

Charles and Fiona

Things seemed to be better in hand, or so Charles imagined. Fiona seemed open to waiting, if he had heard her correctly. Maybe he had heard what he wanted to hear.

"Yes, let us dance. That will be fun, and we can imagine performing another dance together," he enticed. "Though that will need to stay in our dreams," he hastened to add.

Leading her to the dance floor, he wondered if Catherine, Davina or even Susan would notice. Catherine already seemed jealous of Fiona. He could use that fact against Catherine in their game, if necessary. It was New Years. Everyone should be free to dance with many eligible ladies and gentlemen. Charles certainly planned to dance with as many ladies as possible.

And so they danced. He imagined the two of them in bed together as they danced, but tried not to be obvious about it. He had to, more than once. remind himself of the dance steps, which served to cool his ardor somewhat.

After the dance Nicolette with Ogle w. Ranelagh arriving

If she had to rate the pair, Ogle would gain the higher number. His compliments on the dancefloor showed effort which was more than could be said of his mentor.

"Stop stop, it is too much. Such excitement I have not endured before." Nicolette replied, who could say if it sounded sincere nor not, she was bored and he was naive. "I shall need the rest of the evening to recover from your manly rigors Lord Ogle. I am utterly spent, and very satisfied."

The Frenchwoman looked at the youth and wondered if he believed any of it. Would he blush? More importantly would he later tell Chris of his success and thus punctuate the Dukes own abysmal failure.

Drawing a breath Nicolette toyed with claiming something ruder still... but then Ranelagh sashayed in and her smile blossomed into fullness. A man with an intellect at last! (and so fine to look at too)

"La, would you test my capacity for pleasure Lord Ranelagh, while I would love nothing more to get busy with you, I rather need a reviving drink. I am far too sober, as you can see!" she laughed at this last and linked her arm through Richards arm, flashing a quick smile towards the one she departed and barely refraining from coaxing her favourite to run.

Chatham & Willoughby

Charles quirked an eyebrow slightly at 'adorable.' It was not a word he had often, or indeed ever, heard applied to himself. He took it in the spirit it was meant, though, smirk widening momentarily into an unguardedly pleased expression Charles had spent a great deal of time perfecting.

"My valet does my hair," he said, resisting the urge to preen further, "and I fear I have no idea how and where he procures the assorted odds and ends he makes use of. Frankly, with results like these, I don't much care. But your own ensemble is exquisite dear fellow. Your tailor is a genius."

Shrewsbury's interjection reminded Charles of her presence and he flashed an apologetic smile as he swooped to kiss her hand in greeting.

"A pleasure my lady," he offered as he straightened. "I can only hope that the flesh and blood will match your expectations."

Leaning easily back against the bannister, Charles shot the two a conspiratorial look.

"Now, please let us discuss something scandalous," he mock-pleaded. "I've only just escaped from my stepmother and company, and I need reminding that life is worth living."

Charles and Fiona

Fiona knew that Charles wanted her. Not only had he said as much, but he had gifted her with an expensive pair of earrings. If he cared nothing for her, he wouldn't have agreed to play her secret admirer. So why was he so reluctant to take what she freely offered to him? Could it be that she was coming on too strong? Did he prefer ladies who were hard to get? Or did she just need to be persistent and patient, breaking down his defenses until he could no longer deny his desire for her?

At least he agreed to dance with her. “Yes,” she whispered. “Imagine us dancing together more intimately.” Maybe he would decide that he didn't want those visions to remain in his dreams.

Fiona danced even more flirtatiously than usual. Every time they came together, she touched him, letting her fingers slide along his sleeve or flutter against his wrist. She pulled playfully on the buttons of his uniform as she whirled away from him, and she licked her lips when her eyes dropped below his belt. Charles seemed to be having a bit of trouble concentrating on the steps, which made her believe she was succeeding in seducing him to the point of no return.

As the dance ended, she curtsied deeply, displaying the creamy expanse of her cleavage, and then took his hand, pulling him away from the dancing area. Let's have a drink,” she suggested, leading him toward the same shadowy corner they had only recently vacated. “Although I think it will take more than that to quench our thirst after such a delightful dance."

She grinned saucily. "Would you like to know how it affected me?" Lifting his hand, she placed it over her rapidly beating heart. "Feel for yourself."

Tamsin Faraday approaching George

Chichester was stood quiet in reflection when a feminine voice burst forth from the crowd - his sober gaze swung and here he saw who it was.

"Lady Tamsin, you look well restored." He uttered and gave bow of greeting. She was dressed with the excess that delighted courtiers, very differently to when she'd been about in the city. But then he understood that sense dictated any noble not to advertise their wealth to London's hoodwinks and hoodlums, and unfortunately even then she'd been set upon.

She seemed to want to chat, which was nice, though he himself was feeling less than loquacious. "Indeed." The handsome earl agreed simply.

George and Tamsin

“Thank you,” she replied with a bright smile. He's quite handsome, Tamsin thought. She had not been thinking of such things when they had first met. Her entire focus had been on procuring a weapon for her father and she had been more interested in intriguing swords than attractive gentlemen. Lord Chichester was much too old for her, but that didn't mean she couldn't appreciate his good looks.

“You know, I should be mad at you,” she said, her eyes narrowed playfully. “My aunt was furious when she read your letter. But it all turned out well, so you are forgiven. I just can't go anywhere alone and I have to stay away from weapon shops.” A soft sigh. “I promised.

“She also forbid me to answer your letter or the one your friend sent me and told me that I could speak to you tonight. It's too late to have a sword made in time for New Year's, but my father's birthday is coming up and I can give him one then. If you're still willing to go for me, I can draw the kind of weapon I have in mind, after I have the chance to sketch those Tudor roses on Lord Langdon's dagger.”

Her head tilted to the side. “Have you searched for the men who tried to rob me? Could you tell what they looked like from my sketches?” Tamsin's voice lowered. “Sometimes I feel as if I'm being watched. I'm afraid that they may try to attack me again.”

Beverley

Mary nodded dutifully. "I saw Miss Wellsley pass by. I was thinking of just standing near the Queen and hoping to be invited to approach some of her ladies," she replied, having to almost shout to be heard in the noisy setting.

"Maybe ... Maybe we could dance together first?"

Beverley smiled and nodded, "That sounds like a grand idea but perhaps a bit more...proactively." He pat her hand on his arm fondly and said, "Some of those who you met and talked to at Windsor would surely not mind you joining them in conversation?"

When one was introduced to someone, a friendly smile was invitation enough to join in. He blinked and wondered if, perhaps, ladies were different.

"Of course we can, my dear. I never thought anything else. I wish all to know how pleased I am with you." If they were not in throngs of loud people but in private, he would have given her a kiss on the cheek.

Charles and Fiona

It was a most distracting dance. Her interest in him was obvious and he fought a blush as he worried that certain other ladies would be watching the dance and drawing the wrong conclusion. Well, in truth, it would be the correct conclusion byt he thought himself more innocent in this affair and he tried not to reciprocate her intimate movements. He kept his own style as proper as he might, though he missed a step or two as she distracted him, certainly on purpose.

He followed her back to the wall to share a drink briefly. She placed his hand on her breast. It was heaving, like his own thougts. He was quick to remove it. "A greater thirst that shall have to be quenched another day I fear." He needed to remain strong. He was also becoming conscious of the time. It must have been 9 pm and he would need to be excusing himself soon.

Charles and Fiona

Fiona sighed and pouted prettily when he pulled his hand away from her heaving bosom. She had thought that he wouldn't be able to resist her after that. And yet still he hesitated. Surely he couldn’t be that scared of Cat and Doug. Dougie might be able to best him in a duel, but she knew it would never come to that. How could he blame a gentlemen for shagging her when he had done it himself?

Of course, that was a secret that could never be spoken of. It would ruin them both forever.

She plucked a glass of whiskey from a servant's tray. “You can keep putting it off, but you know that an assignation between us is inevitable. Eventually, your curiosity will get the better of you. So what do you think of my idea that I disguise myself as a gentleman and meet you at an inn on Monday?” Fiona hoped he had not forgotten what she had proposed before their dance.

Chatham, Willoughby & Shrewsbury(OOC: thanks for your xtreem patience)

Charles response suited Jonathan perfectly, it being excuse enough to adore upon the battle worn features now so prettily encased midst courtly curls & ribbons. "Perhaps tell there is a room somewhere beneath Saint Marks that is filled to overflowing with accoutrements of every sort - a resource for servants and upon the courtesy of His Majesties own purse. The King would hardly want his courtiers otherwise arriving in a state of dishevelle now would he?" The dandy blinked upon that thought and then swatting his lacy handkerchief in Charles direction he tittered "but then again...?!"

Charles reached to kiss her hand to discover that Shrewsbury’s fingers were a cool at the tourmaline jewels that glittered upon them, though her smile held pleased amusement for his effortless quip, "Tell me then Chatham, would you be more pleased to hear I had no expectations of you, than if I had great ones?" His answer would reveal much of his nature.

As Chatham then noted a diversion was desired, "Indeed, we might all progress to more titivating things." Willoughby agreed with punctuation mark of licking his upper lip with tip of tongue.

Shrewsbury's eyes slid towards the King. "This room is a tad responsible, how long shall it be till Her Majesty retires hmm? I dare say that is when the party shall truly begin... but for now, perhaps we seek out a little irreverence elsewhere?" her eyebrow rose with the suggestion.

Nicolette & Ranelagh

Drawing a breath Nicolette toyed with claiming something ruder still... but then Ranelagh sashayed in and her smile blossomed into fullness. A man with an intellect at last! (and so fine to look at too)

"La, would you test my capacity for pleasure Lord Ranelagh, while I would love nothing more to get busy with you, I rather need a reviving drink. I am far too sober, as you can see!" she laughed at this last and linked her arm through Richards arm, flashing a quick smile towards the one she departed and barely refraining from coaxing her favourite to run.

"No gentleman proceeds to busy a lady without first a toast to her beauty and wit unless he wishes to be inconvenienced instead of pleasured by her company," Ranelagh said, smoothly, offering an arm in perfect cadence with his words.

Once away from the simple, though highly ranked, gentlemen, Ranelagh added, "Those two are enough to sober anyone! You seemed in much need of a rescue before you inadvertently added a puppy and overgrown puppy to your retinue of admirers."

"The Dutch are good for some things, aren't they?" Francis replied, in stride, taking it as a compliment. After all, they were also quite business-savvy and so was he, even if that was not particularly a desirable trait amongst the nobility.

As she squirmed, prettily, he realised that she must - to some capacity - fancy him, at least a bit. It explained why she had not scolded him truly for his jokes.

"You will forgive me for being a scoundrel, will you not?" he asked. The pretty innocence behind the length of his eyelashes was dramatic, matching the giggle that tried to come from his lips. "I am a good-hearted one," he promised, batting those same eyelashes. That was, at least, the truth.

"And it is for the gentleman to be protector of the lady's reputation; I am quite certain, at least, it is not the other way around," he added, with a smile. "Unfairly, a gentleman's reputation can be forgiven much. Fortunately, I am of an age where I do not wish to need to beg forgivenesses." Which was to say, he had grown up to being beyond impulsive misbehavior for physical gratification, and scary fathers had never appealed to him, even as a youth!

"You did tell me that you could be daring," Francis replied, to her comment of daring to talk of things most would not speak of at a party. In truth, Francis had been to limited fancy parties and even more limited courtly and fancy parties, so topics of general acceptance might not be his forte. Being not speaking of wars, gore, or money around women (which were general social mores that had little to do with court in specific), Francis knew little of such out-of-bounds topics.

In his defense, that was not particularly something one might learn from the Duke of Buckingham, for whom no topic or action was out-of-bounds. And like any son, he was not the best at listening to his mother.

"The green drink? Well, as you wish." He offered her his arm so that he could part the way for them.

He was not sure what green drink she was speaking of, for there could be all sorts of punches or spirits at such an event. Hopefully, Rochester had not thought to bring illicit spirits again. This would not be where he'd want to drink the green fairy.

Chatham, Willoughby & Shrewsbury

Charles laughed warmly at Jonathan's theorising. It seemed singularly unlikely to him, but who could know the mind of kings?

"I can't say that I've given the matter much thought," he admitted easily, "but with results like this I'm not inclined to." He tossed his head to illustrate the point.

Straightening from kissing Shrewsbury's hand, Charles found himself grinning at her challenge.

"Well, that is easily answered. To say that one has no expectations is just a way of saying that one expects nothing, and there is great delight in confounding such expectations. However, in this case my lady, I find that I would like to be able to think that I had your esteem." His eye twinkled. "Besides, it will be even more impressive if and when I exceed your expectations if those expectations are great."

Charles smirked sidelong at Jonathan's words and lip-licking.

More titivating things indeed. Ah well, time for that later.

Twisting to scan the ballroom (and coincidentally move fractionally closer to Jonathan) Charles nodded along with Shrewsbury.

"Little enough of interest here," he agreed. "We shall have to pursue our... titivation elsewhere." He gestured expansively. "Where shall we look first?"

Francis & Dorothea

"And are highly favoured by King Charles." she added of the Dutch.

The political ties between the Seven Provinces and England had just been strengthened in like manner of her own homeland; a royal marriage. Her mind naturally slipped to consider that more deeply, brining Dorothea to look about enquiringly, "Do you see the Dutch Ambassador about, shall he be swarmed by all the ambitious sorts? And don’t you think it strange that we've not a German Ambassador resident in London, now why would that be do you think?"

Yet then she was trying to tease him to a blush, feeling rather daring as she did so, even though in the end it hardly worked at all! But he was chuckling never the less, and she smiled for that.

"Perhaps I shall forgive you on Sunday?" she teased still, like the penitent Catholics she'd thought to mention, "well that is if I see you on Sunday."

She'd sensed at the very onset that he was one of those truly good men - even if he was a tad vain of it, batting his lashes like that he composed a rather alluring picture to the maiden.

"Well my own reputation is wholesome I am sure." Dorothea supposed, "why even Princess Karoline would vouch for me, and she is not one to rashly endorse. Hmm, why I might even be above risk of scandal were I, were we, to visit the library." which was where this topic had originally begun. And he, now reminding her of her earlier claim of daring had her reconsider. "And it is Christmas."

She was glad he could not read her mind, as she imagined a stolen kiss in a darkened room surrounded by walls of books - for she only smiled as she kept her imagining in the privacy of her mind.

Towards the drinks table they strolled, "Yes I hope it might be peppermint-y." the young lady mused of the green drink.

With Charles display Willoughby's laughter lifted, and his glass alongside, "Ooh but stop Chatham - or you shall have me finished off on the spot!" It was highly amusing, what a marvellous man!

Shrewsbury was meanwhile well travelled enough to know when to turn a blind eye, and carried on her own inquiry to the type of man Willoughby's new friend was. For a start he was as articulate as he was spirited, no doubt a longsuffering tutor had been required in his youth.

"Then I shall delight you to an excess by expecting the most remarkable thing of you. Hmm... now what might that more specifically mean within courts arena?" the woman paused and put finger to pursed lips, striking a pose and inviting his gaze. How admiring to Jonathan was he truly? Might he be easily swayed? "Constancy. Yes, that must be the rarest of all qualities in our age, now I shall look to you to show me an example in this. And if achieved, well indeed you shall have my esteem to it's fullest degree." It was quite some challenge delivered.

Jonathan moved somewhat and the pair bumped shoulders briefly, a brush of knuckles also. "Well I do not know if it's a platform for any proving of anything." Jonathan’s eyes flicked towards Anna briefly, "but there is oft some sport to be found in the Billiards room."

"Men and balls what is it?" Shrewsbury chuckled with a wink, "Shall we set out that way, and see if we happen upon anything other along the way?"

Nicolette & Ranelagh

He was so perfectly polished, except when he was not -- what was there not to love of Ranelagh?!

Sliding away with him was like slipping into heaven, or into some dreamy cocoon of bliss - Nicolette doubted it was possible to be happier, more content. Her fingertips pressed softly into the plush fabric of his sleeve. And rich, yes he was so very very rich.

"Oh I cannot help it Master Tomcat, it is my greatest weakness that I would have every gentleman adore me, even though some are utterly unqualified or deserving of the role." She batted lashes and glanced briefly back over her shoulder at the one they departed. "Mmm... I consider it really a kindness towards their educations of course, that perhaps they shall learn with a little coaching. Alas, some are simply beyond even my help." Her attention returned to Ranelagh and she gave a mischievous grin to punctuate her claims.

"Though of course, as you well know, ladies much prefer a gentleman who knows what he's all about." She complimented, indulging herself by gazing into his eyes. Still she knew that she could not really consider anything with him, she did not even suggest an mistletoe kiss, at least, not until her future was more assured. But one day she thought to marry this man, perhaps together to raise a royal bastard, oh yes it would be so grand.

Charles smiled at Jonathan's amusement at his performance. Charles was no longer certain if he played at being vain, or if at some point the mask had become his face. In any case, it served its purpose, and Charles enjoyed the play-acting, if that was what it was.

He had enough discipline to keep his smile unchanged as Shrewsbury posed, but permitted himself the merest flicker of his eye over her form. To his skewed sense of courtesy it would have been rude to do less, and unforgivably gauche to do any more in front of Jonathan.

Laughing with delight at the presented task, Charles bowed.

"A fitting challenge," he said approvingly, eye glowing, "but to clarify, when you say 'constancy' I assume you mean devotion. But devotion to what? My principles? My friends? My drinks order? All of the above?"

Stretching to indulge in the delightful frisson of tension that filled him at the brief contact with Jonathan, Charles nodded again.

"It is something of a cliche, I suppose," he commented drily, smiling at Shrewsbury, "but it will almost certainly be more entertaining than remaining here. So let us pursue that flighty temptress, adventure. Lead on."

Edited by Guest

Charles and Fiona

She was likely correct that an assignation between them was just a matter of time. It was forbidden fruit and there was a curiosity that needed satisfaction. Charles did not deny it.

"No. Monday is far too soon to consider such a thing. Perhaps ... at the end of the season, if it can be done with absolute secrecy." Though he might look intrigued, Fiona might observe that he was battling with himself, the honorable inner Charles was convinced that this was folly and he should respect his friend Cat better. His head was shaking negatively even as he held out hope that they might get together.

"I had best take my leave now. There will be plenty of gentlemen for you to charm with a smile and a dance, and it would be better if we were not seen together for more than just a polite conversation after a dance," he insisted. Bending, he gave Fiona a bow and a smile before taking his leave.

George and Tamsin - to apprach Langdon?

It never ceased to surprise George when young ladies were reasonable - the greatest number of his experiences with them (predominantly his sister) was of bull headed obstinacy in the face of better sense.

"Well I am pleased that it all ended in the best." he returned, "Surely you appreciate that in my concern for your safety I had no other recourse but to warn your guardian. While perhaps it was the weapons shop that was the singular target, I could not rule out that the villains were following you specifically, upon account of your Fathers position and wealth."

Her father would likely pay a kings ransom for safe return of his only child. (Unless, did she say she had any siblings? He could not recall.)

That her guardian did not allow her to reply to his letter drew an understanding nod, though again George was amazed at the biddableness. Mirtel would have ignored such a wish! Would not have even given him opportunity to state his preference!

Couched upon Tamsin's presentation of meek acceptance, her request when then made was easily agreed to. "I would be more than happy to act as your agent in this." he agreed, and she promised to provide sketches.

"The matter is under the scrutiny of Lord Langdon, namely his London Regiment now." he replied, "These are men highly trained in their work and with great knowledge of the streets of London, I dare say a privileged peer trying to help out would only get in their way." he explained why he was not conducting a search for the villains himself. "But perhaps we seek out Lord Langdon tonight, that perchance he can allay your further fears? Why, he looks to become available just now..."

Georges eyes followed Charles leaving Fiona. Some seasons ago George had thrown his hat into the ring when the King as called for suitors for the wayward Scottish miss, but naught had come of it, indeed George had not actually met the young lady himself. His approach to her elder sister upon the matter _had_ however been interesting. I wonder if Cat ever mentioned me to her? It was likely a bullet missed. These Scotish girls were feisty ones. Not like Tamsin here, or his Frances. George's eyes sought further, wondering where his current muse was?

Nicolette & Ranelagh

"My, my! Some grand kindness! My dear, has not Buckingham taught you anything about having minions for such tasks. The most grand do not even partake in doing their own charity at court," the earl joked, revealing that he knew her patron.

How he knew was the real question. There were many ways. He could, of course, have pieced it together himself. He was a sharp man.

"A group of young ladies who wish to impress you would do for those distractions unworthy of you," he added, about the choice of minions.

Laughing at her claim of preferring a man who knew what he was about, he could not help but agree. "It is no wonder the young ladies take to the gentlemen some small years their elder. For by that age, most have figured how to wield confidence and shirk off adolescent awkwardness; at least they have figured it out if there is any hope for them at all!" He then considered, "Or...how to fake it."

Frances finds George

Having left her brother-in-law with a smile Frances now stood a bit apart her eyes moving about the groupings looking for one person only. She had lost sight of him when he had been with May and she guessed that pairing was now over and she needed to know what had come of it if anything.

Her ah was said aloud as she caught site at last and began going to him her eyes now seeing he was not alone. She didn't know the girl and her appraisal was calculated as to dress and ornamentation as well as manner - the fact the her George seemed comfortable made her a bit uneasy. It was hard this business of no contract between them when she so wanted to mark him as Hers.

She caught the last few words as she came into his view her soft smile gentle and her eyes shinning

"Lord Chichester - you are quite difficult to find amongst all here yet I have preservered."

She turned an inquiring look to the other girl and it was with much willpower employed that stopped her from putting her hand on his arm in a clear signal of ownership!

Louis on the Lookout

There had been a delayed arrival and a bit of wandering through the various salons before heading to the main area. He had not arrived with Bridget but had promised to dance with her.

The brandy he had managed to cajole from servants was mediocre at best, so he resigned himself to more pallid spirits. His jacket was burgundy and gold, not to be confused with the scarlet that soldiers wore. His waistcoat was embroidered black and his breeches a dove grey. His ruby cravat pin flashed in the light, as did the many rings upon his fingers.

He was in a mood to dance, whether a political dance with the King, Buckingham, or some Royalist, or a more graceful dance with a member of the fairer sex. He would dance with his cousin surely, but not with his sister unless she insisted. Rather, he was inclined to seek out beauty or power for his dance partners. He knew his dance skill to be too refined to waste on those not useful to himself.

Charles and Fiona parting

From the conflicting emotions that flickered across Lord Langdon's handsome face, Fiona could sense his inner turmoil. He wanted to shag her but he felt that he shouldn't, probably because he thought he would be betraying his friendship with her siblings if he did. She knew he would eventually give in to his desire for her. All she had to do was to continue her seduction until his need for her overcame his reservations.

At least he didn't refuse her offer outright. That meant she was getting close to her goal. “On the last day of the season, then,” she agreed. “I will send you a note to remind you.” And oh, what a note it would be! After he reads it, he'll be so aroused, he will want to meet with me right away.

Now, though, it was best to back off and let him think of her for the rest of the evening and dream of her that night, and hopefully every night thereafter. “Very well.” Lifting his hand, she placed it over her heart again. “Just remember this.” After only a brief moment, she let go and curtsied as he bowed to her, giving him an eyeful of the bountiful cleavage his hand had just been resting against. “I will will see you in a few days.”

Turning away, she slipped back into the crowd.

Only a couple of minutes later, another lady called out to him ...

George and Tamsin with Frances joining

“I just arrived a few days ago. My family almost never attends court, so I don't see how anyone would know that my father is an insanely wealthy Earl. He prefers to stay in the country with his weapons and hunting to keep him busy. I had to beg him to let me spend Christmas in London.”

Tamsin beamed when Lord Chichester agreed to visit the weapon shop for her. “I'll send you the sketches when they're ready and when you get an estimate of how much it will cost, I'll give you the full amount.” Money, even a great deal of it, didn't seem like a problem for her. If it had been, she would have likely specified the maximum sum she was willing to pay.

“An entire regiment is looking for them?” she asked, her eyes wide. Lord Chichester did look a bit too elegant to run around town chasing thieves. Her eyes followed his over to the vaguely familiar figure of Lord Langdon. He was wearing a uniform and she wondered if he was on duty. “Yes, let's go speak to him. I wasn't able to answer his letter either and I hope he'll allow me to draw those roses ...”

Her eyes remained on her other rescuer, and as Frances arrived, Tamsin began walking toward him. She didn't even notice the other lady, although she heard her words to George.

Tamsin approaching Charles

“Lord Langdon,” Tamsin smiled as she strolled up to Charles. “May I speak with you for a moment?”

George and Tamsin approach Charles with Frances then arriving.

And so it was arranged (That she would need send a message to him which would technically breech her aunts ban on communication was apparantly not noted by either at that moment!)

So they crossed the way to Charles, "Indeed, I am certain he is most diligent towards that." George supposed that Langdon had thrown all his London resources to solving the crime.

Tamsin begun and George then added his two pennies forth, "Yes we are most interested to learn your progress upon the Weaponsmith incident." He was involved after all!

Frances then found upon them, George's eyes brightened on seeing her, he gave a warm smile and nod hoping she was attuned to the fact that Lord Langdon was about to furnish his reply.

When it was apt George then provided the missing introductions to and fro.

OOC: sorry that I posted again before Charles reply - but I did not want George to get left out of the conversation he prompted into happening with Langdon to find out progress about the robbery!

Edited by Guest

Nicolette & Ranelagh

He was with a cheerful counter, and she laughed of it - though she did indeed come to wonder how much he'd figure out of Buckingham's current tutelage towards her &etc. (Likely he knew to keep sensual distance, while also that a platonic closeness might be to his benefit.) "You have heard the saying 'It takes a village...?'" she teased that she'd just as readily learn from him.

"Yes I must attend to the gathering of some minions forthwith!" There were not yet any queues for that role, but perhaps in time? "Hmm, perhaps that would make a fine game for the Mistress of Mischief? La, I have always found you to be inspiring company Lord Ranelagh." she smiled as she snatched up a pair of glasses from passing tray. One offered to him, she took a sip of the remaining.

"Pity those poor fakes." she replied, certain that her Richard's confidence was fully fledged and also justified.

"Oh but darling, I just remembered the most wonderful thing!" she flashed a smile and held her breath a moment, building a second of suspense, "The Lady Worchester and I are working upon a grand botanical scheme for the streets of London next spring - and we shall need a visionary sponsor, naturally I thought of you..." her eyes sought his questioningly, trying to guage from his expression how best to phrase her request.

Chatham, Willoughby & Shrewsbury - out into the hall

"To matters of the most fickle of man's organs, the heart..." she replied with a smirk, "or would you dilute the challenge to those common libations? Why every man you meet here is devoted to his beverage to choice, as for principles, show me a single fellow who does not think he is always right." she winked.

An illicit pleasure indulged in public is magnified! The hairs on Willoughby’s neck tingled at the touch, his eyes dilated all in one with the reduction of fears that his muse might be seduced apart. "Underestimation, definitely." he provided his own verdict of Shrewbury's view of Chatham, and with a grin stepped towards the hall...

If someone thought that the Banquet hall was where the New Years party was at, stepping into the hall would set him straight. There was a thrumming stream of courtiers moving both this way and that to other locales. And then just there in front of the Banquet hall odors was a trio of youngsters (one with a chair) snickering amongst themselves.

"Excuse me sir, is there a clock in there?" one youth asked Charles of the room he'd just left.

Caroline kept busy dancing!

(OOC:doing a little glossing-over-of-time fudge to make up for lapsed time with a dance or two)

Lord Melville was able to make good on his promise, yet if he'd hoped to retain her company thereby he was soon thwarted! For no sooner was she introduced than did the dance requests roll in! One two and three dances, one after another in fact, until at length she was released from the dancefloor quite breathless!

"You are a fine dancer." said the last in her series of dance partners (what was his name again?). "Would you like to take a bit of fresh air out on the balcony, if you know what I mean?"

"Shove off Jeremy." Rowland suddenly appeared by Caroline's side, a randy hopeful intent to get rid of an even younger randy young hopeful (and bearing a glass for brandy for the young lady to boot.) Waggling his eyebrows to the young lady he'd been happy to shag just a few nights previous he said, "I thought you'd never stop out there, there is something to be said for your levels of energy dear Lady Kendishall." He appreciated the heave of her breasts as she tried catch her breath.

Jeremy skulked away.

Chatham, Willoughby & Shrewsbury - out into the hall

Charles grinned thinly at Shrewsbury, inclining his head slightly.

"In my experience 'tis easier for the heart to remain constant than one's tipple of choice. Most men will drink anything you put in front of them, regardless of their protestations, but the heart's fires burn long and hot once stoked."

Charles carefully did not look at Jonathan. That had been overly florid and poetic already, without compounding things.

"In any case, I did not seek to set terms, merely clarify yours. Devotion in matters of the heart it is."

That really meant discretion, of course.

Following Willougby out into the hall, Charles took a moment to savour the buzz of activity. He had always drawn energy from such things, the barely controlled near chaos speaking to something within him. He was distracted from his musing by the questioning of a nearby youth. Suspecting there was a game of some sort afoot, he turned his head to consider the young man carefully from under a raised eyebrow.

"Hmm? A clock? Not that I noticed, but I was not looking. 'Tis early yet, though, for her Majesty has not yet left."