JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

The New Years Eve Ball- Xmas 1677

Blackguard

She had been given time for herself and she had made use of it.

Drinking two goblets of wine in quick succession was a pretense as she eyes those groups all assembled.

The one she sought Langdon was proving too elusive and she wonderes if he was off with Sedley.

The one she wanted to avoid Winchilsea was the man from just a few hours previously.

The one who would avoid her Chichester

The one she SHOULD find was Herbert

The one who'd no doubt find her The German if he were still at Court that was.

What's a girl to do ......

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Chathams @ Arabella

And so their (indulgent) banter put aside as they came upon Arabella...

Arabella who was nearly as tall as Charles himself, though a fraction of his weight. Arabella who tipped her head like a bright eyed robin as Charles gave her full view of his eyepatch. He practically challenged her to ask of the accident behind the affliction.

"Do you have trouble with depth perception then?" she inquired instead, smiling then towards Mary as she added, "I'd heard it said that with the loss of a sense others increase to compensate, I wonder if the same applies for half a sense lost?" taking a sip of her wine she grinned to look back at Charles, "Which is of course provided you had a whole sense to begin with. With the stories that Jonnys told me over the years..." The lady left off to titter in a light of heart mood, there seeming to be a level of embracing Charles into the fold via her friendship with Mary.

"Oh but I love to mix metaphors." Arabella declared. His reply was cleverly done, he appeared to be familiar with navigating courtly converse. "Yet I must commend you upon this first step, of retuning my friend to court!"

Davina & ___

The perils of court for a woman are never greater than when she is left unattended for a length of time - so it was that while Davina fretted the present known challenges before her that night there came a movement and someone who was surely not dangerous appeared at her side.

It was a woman, well attired, light brown hair scooped up with carefully formed ringlets teasing at her neck - yet most notably she held a spare glass of wine in hand and offered it to the thirsty Davina with these words:

"May I bolster your nerve with further refreshment, and bolster your protection with show of numbers. It is evident to me that both these are needed. Pray do advise me what had a lady of your calibre so nervous upon an eve as festive as this?" The yet unnamed lass was familiar even though they'd never met (Davina might wonder if she was one of the de Courtenay's perhaps?), her hazel eyes sparkled with a brightness that came from within.

George and May

"You are looking well, and drest in His Majesties favourite shade of erotic mauve - now who named the shade that colour I wonder. No doubt there is a tale behind that to be told." George greeted in a friendly fashion, with small talk on the colour that had raged into fashion after the King wore it.

Baptist was a fashionable man. Though much more than that George did not know, he'd met the man just once before, after which conversation his sister had fleetingly fancied May a her match. Hmm, yes May was also a lucky man he supposed, for his escape from her focus!

"Yes Happy new Year." he raised his class to clink, "may your fortunes prosper with it."

"Speaking of fortunes..." was there a graceful way to broach the topic? Baptist may must have heard them all. "I was having a few drinks with Basildon, and the man struck upon a most amusing idea. You see I was ruminating possible offices I might purchase. Yes, ambition has bitten me like a flea, it's an itch I have to scratch. He suggested I'd be disposed to an office in the Tower, upon account of my recent holiday 'Upon his Majesties Leisure' there." George paused to laugh.

"See I'd not have taken Basildon as a comic until I heard it myself!" it was just as funny to hear it a second time around.

"Ha, but after sobering, I still think it a most gratifying idea. What say you, do you think we might manage somehow to swing it? How does such a thing actually work, do I bid a sum perhaps, do I contact the current officeholder? Who do I bribe, where do I put my cash?" Indirectly George suggested that cash might go directly to Baptists own pocket, and was entirely happy to do so. It was a given that any royal position came with it's cut, Baptist plainly did not lack means to dress on fashions first - why Baptist May’s display of the trappings of success was a fine advertisement for the liquidity of the system.

Davina & ___

Davina turned her blue eyes to appraise the woman that had come to her side with amusement. Somewhere memory tugged but she could not as yet pair the brown hair and hazel eyes with a name .....

"I shall accept the wine gladly but I fear will disappoint on the other - for I have nothing that needs bolstering or protection! Yet you are welcom'd none the less. What has made you think I am in need of either?"

She took a drink curious as to what the reply would be. That this other woman was not a Court Novice was clear for her manner and speech said otherwise as did the fact she had sought Davina out. No new come to Court person would have the nerve but there was always an exception.

"I was simply pondering if I should sail forth into the Field or remain here and see who would find Me. Perhaps I should ask that question of you - are you in need of MY protection?"

George

May giggled and exaggerated the surprise on his face as Chichester professed being ignorant of bribery at court. "Are you jesting with me my lord?" he tittered as he might expect such a naïve question from a new and young arrival.

"So, Basildon teased you with a possibility and gave you no insight as to how to accomplish it? Cruel advice I would say." He laughed again, but that was no surprise because he was routinely jolly.

"Office holders are free to sell their offices of course," he began, trying to be helpful. "The price is a usually some multiple of salary, like twenty times. So, if the office paid 50 pounds per annum, a holder might sell it for 1000 pounds. The more prestigious the title, the higher the multiple."

"As for a position at the Tower, I am certain that there must be something there, but your best bet would be to discuss it with the Constable. He is the one that appoints positions there. It is fitting that you have an office there," he giggled "though surely you are not looking to be Captain of the Guard."

Davina

She would see George with Baptist May. She would also see that her brother was approaching the Duke of Norfolk. He seemed a bit timid in his approach.

The Chathams & Arabella

Charles grinned thinly at Arabella's response to his little provocation, the judge in his solitary eye approvingly awarding a point.

"My past complete lack of sense is well enough documented that I cannot argue it," he began, tapping a finger on his eye patch, "but the unfortunate loss of my facial symmetry has indeed remedied that. I'm only half mad now." He laughed.

He gave a fluid, one-shouldered shrug as Arabella continued.

"Well, it seemed wantonly cruel to keep her in exile," he said lightly, "and it seemed to me that it would do the children no harm to go without her presence for a few days. Besides, this way I avoid an interrogation upon my return to Chatham."

Nicolette and Ablemarle

He was obviously making some effort, though it was... feeble (or was he nervous?)

This was in fact an enlightening moment for Nicolette, who suddenly suspected that his previous evasiveness to her charms was not a goading contest at all, but was upon account of his lack of wit. How disapointing, though now everything made perfect sense.

"Scallywag?" she leaned in closely, close enough that she might smell his fragrance and he hers, "Tut tut my dearest Duke, but scally wag is a word for nurseries and infants, scallywag does not make my heart race and temperature to heighten." tipping her head she met his eyes, then turned her head away.

She had no intention of joining the dancefloor with him, and really she'd been reckless to even suggest that they dally in anything else tonight.

"Oh look, I think your wife is approaching." she claimed, flicking a look towards Christopher. Nicci expected him to discover some place he had to be at that point - upon which she'd extend her focus to the important others he'd been stood amidst.

Davina & Alice

"I saw your thirst and took it as a nervousness." The young lady replied with a refreshing openness, "Or at least I find myself feeling far bolder after a glass of wine or two. I had two glasses with dinner tonight, such was my excitement for tonight’s ball. Though that was lamentably hours ago. Do you want to drink this." she asked of the additional glass of wine she'd come to offer, "or if you could just hold it for me, and I'll get to it soon." she flashed a grin, yet was equally pleased when Davina chose to accept the glass.

"I am Alice by the way, Alice de Courtenay." here she gave a delighted laugh as Davina switched roles, and offered her protection. "Now that is how it is done." she approved cheerfully of Davina's wit, "and quite rightly, for no doubt I shall need your protection, or at least if it is a gloriously fun night I shall. I mostly hope it shall not be a tediously boring night with nothing out of the usual happening. Though I hardly think that is possible. Why look, just everyone who is anyone is here."

The Chathams & Arabella

"Splendid, then you shall fit right in." Arabella replied with a smile, sliding her arm in through Mary's.

Perhaps Mary had not drunk quite enough to appreciate the timing of that gesture, but she bit her tongue from saying anything as petty as 'speak for yourself'. "I far prefer interrogations at court." she instead replied somewhat weakly to Charles own comment, all while realising that her glass was empty. "Meanwhile Arabella dear, it would seem as though you have a good deal of news to report also. Marriage, why I thought you might never enter that institution, yet now that you are - you do not seem overly suffering."

"Ah, there is a tale to be told of it, of redheads and their jealousy." Arabella admitted, "but lets save that for the sober of morning." she flashed another smile, though her eyes were then caught by the approach of somebody beyond Charles shoulder. "Don't look now darlings, but I think one of is about to be arrested."

Cardogan with face so serious, strode like a lawman towards them.

George

"Such is the woe of a black sheep - my father tossed me out before he could teach me the greater mechanics of such things." That said, the late Earl of Chichester had hot held any offices either, so perhaps George the second had been equally in the dark?

Just as well James Winchester could not see George now. All those upstanding ideals that the pair had spoken about... They had thought to do good in the world, perchance to be recognised. He wanted to be practical however, though even now he was disapointing himself.

It would have been lovely to have earned a position, and one that was not laughing stock. But life was what it was.

So for now George laughed along with May, aware that the man's mirth was edged with a scathing aspect - for what else could be done? "Heh heh, yes I suppose he thought I'd already know, that man teethed on a bakhshish no doubt."

Had Louis set him up as a fool like May suggested? It was possible as George discovered that May had no sway over these things. But George had sensed from Louis that getting a position in the Tower would be more attainable to him because others would piss themselves laughing at it. That much was still true, and if May was anything to go by, then definately. Then later on, when the laughter stopped, he'd still have made his first advance, after the first step the next would be much easier George supposed.

"Ah there you go." he thanked the man as he explained how the pricing of such things worked - the explanation came with the information that he needed to approach a current officeholder directly, not May at all. (So perhaps Louis had set him up?) Any meeting with anoffice holder would be next week at the earliest, but first he needed to find a position and man who held it to then approach. George nodded, learning, already it was very different than he had thought. May was not a middle man.

It answered another question that had been resident in his mind for many years. He'd always wondered if he'd missed an opportunity that time he'd met Baptist the first time. But the visit must have actually been just about Mirtel – and not the Saint Georges day awards as he’d later-on thought.

"I certainly don’t expect to work there, but hold some position upon a board of some sort." He laughed along with May's still, though the mans continued tittering was starting to irritate George, "Chichester has a dairy, but neither am I a farmer!"

"You've been most enlightening, good fellow," raised his glass to toast, "Perhaps next time you see me I'll be Master of Summat or Arather." He supposed he'd go to greet Frances and her Father now. Perhaps he'd take a drink first. Revive, get Mays incessant tittering out of his head.

The Chathams & Arabella

"Oh, but where's the fun in fitting in?" Charles asked lightly, eye shining with laughter. He was enjoying this little exchange with Arabella, though it did make him question how little George could be kin to either her or John.

The runt of the litter.

His stepmother claimed Arabella's attention then, and Charles took advantage of the opportunity to discreetly scan the ballroom for Cadogan. No sign.

Perhaps I was wrong to think that he did not need his hand held to get in.

He was distracted from his musings by Arabella's interjection.

"Almost certainly me. I shall beg your pardons in advance if I have to flee," he quipped automatically, turning to look while half-suspecting he knew what he would see.

And I'm right.

"Arthur!" he hailed the other man with every appearance of amiable, seasonal cheer. "You didn't tell me you'd be attending."

He turned back to Mary and Arabella.

"I don't think you've met the ladies, have you? Mistress... Godfrey, now, isn't it, and Lady Chatham, my stepmother. Ladies, allow me to present the esteemed Master Arthur Cadogan, an associate of my late father."

Introductions done, Charles waved over a drinks tray-bearing servant.

Davina & Alice

"You have the look of your Brother about you Lady Alice. Has he too come in attendance tonight and set your free perhaps? Well I think with Mademosille as our Misrule things will hardly be boring. She has made nothing by way of starting and as this is her last night there is high hopes and even a wager or two of what lies ahead!"

"Yes Court is filled with all sorts of rats all bound up together tight as a drum - what more could those of our sex wish for hmm? As for myself I was simply wondering in what direction to go or if I should remain here for then some are bond to find me and la so you have!"

"My brother Baintree is there ..." She nodded in that direction. "Encamped with Norfolk or about to be. I have yet to pay my respects but intend to hold out as long as possible so at Church on the morrow shall be soon enough."

Here she paused to drink from the glass Alice had offered.

"Yours is much better. I must have been unlucky in the servant or have you provided your own? Let us hope that there is more. That is if you will share. In return I shall introduce you to any that take your fancy - even the ones that don't."

She smiled back at her companion glad that at last there was another of equal intellect/wit in which to converse.

Nicolette

Nicolette tormented the Duke. She seemed to encourage him to purple language in company. Was this a prank? It was hard for a man like Christopher to fathom. She was like a chimera to him, which had the effect of intriguing him more as she tried to become more distant.

The mention of his wife caused the Duke to grimace and look about. She was always spoiling his fun. When he did not see here nearby, he kept his ground. Turning back to the French girl, he tried to manage a smug look, but knew not what else to say. He was not going to retreat. If she wanted to leave, she would need to be the one to withdraw.

George

May had been helpful in his own way. George had wanted knowledge about buying an office. It had left the skilled Privy Purse to mention the standard rules for purchasing an office, much like one gave directions to Westminster. A position in the Tower could be easily had, if Chichester was no longer a Catholic, took the oath, and spent some coin. If, however, it was Hardwick's plan to negotiate a bribe to the King to be recommended for an office, such conversations were best held in a private office and not on the floor surrounded by a sea of courtiers that could be eavesdropping. Though it was the worst kept secret that the King could be bought, pretense needed to be maintained in public.

"Work? Heavens no," May exclaimed with dramatic horror and then more of his tittering. "Master of Ravens perhaps? Those dark birds always give me a sense of foreboding." The ravens of the Tower were legendary and the office was a lowly one for an aristocrat, easily purchased unless the holder loved his job.

George

"Ha, yes, that sort of thing." George would have agreed to anything at that moment, so acute was his embarrassment, times had changed and he'd failed to keep abreast of what was possible. Why had Basildon encouraged him to seek out May? He was laughing at my ignorance too. George looked towards the left, half expecting to see Louis there snickering.

Just when everything had seemed to be going so well, the walls came tumbling down. Nothing had changed at all, he was still the laughing stock of court. Gullible. Too naive for his own good. George hoped that Frances family was not looking this way, nor realising what a fool he'd just made of himself. At least Baptist laughing at him had subsided...

"Well I best leave you to your celebrations sir, Happy New Years." George managed a cheerful cry as he moved on along.

Lady Lucas

Arriving had been as planned and she'd sent her son off to his own persuits which left her to wander rather aimlessly - she'd been to the Music Room but filled with those barely as adults passed on unwanting to spoil that entertainment by her presence.

The Scarlet Drawing Room might have been amusing but she rather doubted those in attendance would appreciate her there either.

Ah the Trails of Age. Still seeking yet being seen as well past the desire to find amusements.

Her steps retraced back here and she caught a glimpse of Lord Arlington occupied much with his own 'Office' yet the last time they had met and spoke he had proved quite amiable so she made for that location hoping to take some ease and find conversation.

Lady Campden, Ellen Doolittle, Caroline, Duncan, and a missing rodent

Ellen saw that the older woman was calmer and so felt the need to add her own bit of 'drama' to perhaps help the other to regain herself.

" Oh! Are you sure? Do you truly think it has gone - I am so releaved for in Truth I am not as Brave as I appear!"

Ellen whispered and then gave a shake of her own skirts for added measure.

"Lord Melville I have it on good authority that the creature has run off so there is no further need to rescue US! Might you catch a servant who holds a tray with libation - it will be appreciated."

Smiling towards her brother-in-law she gave a small nod in the direction of the older Lady.

While Dorothea wore a rust coloured crushed velvet detailed with cream lace and seed pearls. It was plainly a well made and expensive garment, though not particularly showy of itself or of the ladies charms. The young lady however fairly glowed tonight, gloved hand lightly placed upon Francis own as they entered, head held high.

"I cannot see, can you tell what is happening?" Dorothea was not very interested in whatever skirmish begun the night, rather she chuckled and added, "you are so tall my lord, that you make a fine watchtower!"

Coming to rest at a place her hand then slid from his to repose. She idly wondered if he liked the braided style of her hair, or if she should have had it dressed like the English girls instead. Some people recommended celebrating ones differences, while others advocated adopting the customs of local peers. Dorothea's serious mind digressed for a moment, wondering which philosophy was most recommended...

"Yes, it is one of my most recommended qualities to ladies, who suffer many disadvantageous hindrances of the female sex; being vertically challenged chief among them," Francis jested, more openly, in return, favouring her with a grin.

Francis obligingly craned his neck, with an added nudge of playacting, and fastened a look of interest to his face.

Then he looked down at her and said, "Absolutely no idea...Though there seems to be no dancing involved and no eager red soldiers or guardsmen either. In other words, likely not very entertaining."

He kept half an eye on the Duke holding court and another half on the King, but he preferred to dedicate the rest of his attention to his companion.

"How might festivities be different at a German court?" he asked, knowing little about those sorts of customs.

Not that Caroline was in the slightest afraid of some tiny rodent but rather they annoyed her to no end. Now rats were a different issue, they were bigger and came in greater numbers. Her father had told her scary stories when she was young about rats and sieges. Still, she was glad when it seemed like the great 'mouse' crisis was over.

"Well, I am rather positive it will not be back. And good idea about the drinks," she declared with a wide smile.

Soon she had a flute of port in one hand as she addressed her escort for the festivities.

"You were going to introduce me to some gentlemen?"

Lady Campden, Ellen Doolittle, Caroline, Duncan, and a missing rodent

To Ellen's question the court matron lowered her voice and returned, "No I am not sure at all..." she was doing his best to calm down.

Forcing a smile to the rest she then said, "I think I need retire to a quite chamber to make my adjustments."

She needed to lift and shake her fabrics - hope that a mouse was not still there hid! Secretly she hoped on of the ladies would come to help her, but she was not going to be so rude as to ask. It was a ball, these young things must want to dance.

The Chathams & Arabella & ...

Even as Charles greeted his co-conspirator, a fair headed beyond lifted his hand and wriggled fingers in a toodle-pippish wave, a grin was flashed and questioning flick of eyes send around the group that Charles was amidst. It was Jonathan Willoughby, in pale blues and silvers, with gales of lace at throat and cuffs making his approach.

"Who would not attend a night like this, filled with promise and... beauty." Arthur poured it on bowing and kissing Mary's hand, and then Arabella's.

Mary realised he was familiar.

Though had needed Charles placement of the mans name. "How do you do, Mr Cadogan." her eyes turned to Charles here, with another questioning look given his way. Cadogan was the man from his letter, what was going on?

Davina & Alice

"As a lady with a brother yourself I am sure you know that they never truly 'set us free'." Alice returned with a light laugh, then moving to extend her hand, "Shall we amble a circuit of the hall together, you and I, arm in arm? We shall set quite a pretty picture, and all the gentlemen shall look our way longingly I am sure. There is quite nothing to quicken our brothers heartbeats better than ardent looks at their sweet little sisters." she gave Davina a mischievous wink.

If Baintree thought he had problems with Davina, Avon would wager his far worse! Girls. They did like to test boundaries, did the not.

"Rats you say? Well that is descriptive, though none so appealing at all. You do think there are some finer specimens amongst them all though don’t you?"

Girl talk was her topic du jour, while she was less interested in talking about the French girl and more about all the fine gentlemen. Her eyes were then guided towards Davina's own brother. "He’s quite handsome now I look at him. Many people tell me that my brothers are both very handsome too. Definitely not rats." she laughed brightly again. "Oh but lets avoid our brothers, any of them, and find gentlemen more indulgent of a ladies whims."

And Davina seemed to be of same incline.

The pair turned their eyes outwards...

Francis & Dorothea

His reply was self mocking, and she realised her own error against the more important qualities that recommended him. "I am loathe to count myself in with all the rest of the ladies who have claimed that too, but, as it seems I am: You do know that it is only an excuse to keep you near - do you not?"

Her words were said out of a gentleness, not meaning to be flirtatious, though then a part of her was.

"That said, perhaps a lady with a stepladder will never need a gentlemen again." this last was completed with a bit bottom lip. She did not attempt to make jokes in English very often, not very sure it would even work?!

The drama yonder seemed to have dissipated - so that Francis then turned a question upon her. "There are many different traditions in different areas of German it even changes. Not all are Christian though. Like the Raunächte, where rooms and stables too are smoked out to drive out the evils, sanctify them for the new year. This is a night for the telling of futures, really this is for the weather, but young people often indulge in fancies they forecast, and fortune tellers are much in demand."

Davina and Alice

"What a good idea!"

She linked her arm thru the others' and they did indeed make quite a picture sure to draw many eyes.

"Ah Baintree holds a tight reign upon me his poor sister at the moment but that does not mean I can not have my way - as you must know as well - and I am the only sister he has so ..." A small shrug of one shoulder followed.

"Naturally. Court is peppered with good looking men especially now and so there is competition, or so I have heard, amongst many Ladies eager to secure some promise or other but I am not so eager for that. Are you?"

She was curious about this other whom she knew little about save for the talk about Court that follows all the Families and was basic in its nature.

"My brother has many fine qualities and yes I suppose he is well enough to look upon yet my view is not the same as say yours Lady Alice. No neither can be classed as 'rats'! Another fine idea - lets drink upon that then - avoiding Brothers!"

She raised her glass in a small toast and then smiled clearly enjoying the Company.

"Hmmm ... Where to begin first .... Well we can move about the crowed space here or we can set off to investigate other places as yet unattended by either of us. Just how 'brave' are you Lady Alice?"

Having separated from Catherine Sedley earlier in the evening, Charles was now free to roam the hall in search of dance companions. He was smartly dressed in his best officer's tunic, his boots spit shined. Elam had made a leather sheathe for the dagger he wore on his belt. Well hidden inside his coat, the old dagger was pushed towards the back of his belt. He had brought it along to help attract ghosts when he and Susan sought them out in the catacombs below. Some love letters were neatly folded in the tunic pockets.

In the meantime, his eyes searched the crowd. The place was teeming with courtiers. He had thought he had seen a flash of Fiona McBain but then she was lost in the crowd. Would she be wearing his ruby earrings, he wondered? He had chosen a ruby cravat for himself. Beneath his cravat was a locket with the King's seal. Inside was a lock of dark hair belonging to the woman he saw ahead. Was that Davina and Alice together? He froze, balancing a slowly nursed drink in one hand. Perhaps I should just step back and immerse myself in the crowd again.

Voices in the Crowd

"I fear, Your Grace, that someone close to you will die this evening," came the somber pronouncement. "Is it my husband?"

"But aren't you already betrothed? Is this wise?"

"That beard ... it is too much." "It is ... average ... in my home country," came the boisterous thickly-accented reply.

"My father is very ill. I pray he makes it another week."

"The Jesuits are likely to strike tonight. Just you see."

"We're getting him out of the Tower."

"My head is about to explode. I need to get outside."

"Of course she will dance with you." A quick reply chortled "I don't mean that kind of dance."

"I must have a copy of that book!"

OOC~ Your PC, if he or she is wandering the Banquet Hall, may overhear one of these statements, that might have been uttered a bit too loud. You can react to it as you wish. You might stop and see if you can identify the speakers. You could approach them, but they may refuse to introduce themselves and attempt to fade away. Not all of these remarks may lead to anything interesting. Some might be colorful interludes.

Courtiers and Their Gossip - Open

Sarah Jennings was encaased in the group that had formed amongst all the many others' here in the Hall and was one that saw the comings and going of various single persons or those in two and threes or more all easy and free within the Company. Dressed in finery and sparkle of many designs the picture was one of merryment and high spirits.

'I do not belive a word of it!'

'That woman is a fraud! A charlatain!'

'But what if tis True? Then shall we all not Parish?'

Laughter and teasing followed with some adding to the growing pot of money being wagered and Sarah, on a laugh that grew serious, added

"Well she has been proved to be a right well Christian Lady has Mistress Wentworth and she did deliver two missives this past Sepetember - one to the King the other to Buckingham - saying that the World shall end on the thirty-first of December which is this very night ...."

"For me I do not think there is Merit in it at all. Why even her own husband confiscated her writings and has been ordered to give them up and many now denounce her in Public. And she herself now being detained by Mrs. Conolly."

"But I shall wager all the same and match you My Lord."

This said to the tall dark haired Gentlemen that hung over the back of her chair in open appreciation. "Yet I think me that we shall need an influx of more thoughts - let us keep the bet open until more have said their speech and made pledges."

Her suggestion was met with 'ayes' and nods of heads and soon others would be drawn it was hoped to this spot curious as to what was happening and being discussed with so much attention.

For after all the more that came the bigger the pot grew!*

*(there is no actual money in view merely wagering. This topic is well known all over London with everyone having an opinion. It's historical in content.)

Tamsin Faraday approaching George

“Lord Chichester!”

George might find the voice that called his name vaguely familiar, as well as the young dark-haired lady who came into his line of vision. Tamsin Faraday smiled as she approached him, a vision herself in a gown of blue and silver brocade, her stomacher studded with sapphires and diamonds. If her gown was impressive, her jewelry was even more so … a triple-layered necklace of sapphires and diamonds with matching earrings swinging from her ears. Her black hair was caught up by golden combs adorned with sapphires and emeralds and her face was flushed with the excitement of her first ball.

Not only her attire but the way she carried herself spoke of a life of wealth and privilege. It might be hard to believe that she was the same girl he and Lord Langdon had rescued earlier in the week when she was robbed behind a weaponsmith's shop.

“It's good to see a familiar face,” she said, curtsying prettily. “And in much more pleasant circumstances this time.”

Fiona hiding near Charles

A flash of Fiona MacBain was all one was likely to get at the moment. The young Scot was attempting to avoid being seen by the King, fearing that if he noticed her, he might remember that he had meant to marry her off. As she was taller than most ladies and the red in her auburn hair was highlighted by the light of the chandeliers, it wasn't all that easy to hide in plain sight. And so she kept to the shadowy corners, hoping to blend into the background. She hadn't even danced yet, which was unusual for her. Fiona was usually one of the first ladies out on the floor.

She spied Lord Langdon as soon as he entered the hall and separated from Mistress Sedley, who was supposedly his mistress. With a glass of whiskey in one hand, she steadily moved toward him, staying close to the wall. Stand still, dammit, so I can catch up to you, she thought, and as if he had read her mind, he paused. It seemed to Fiona that he looked a bit surprised. What … or who … was he gazing at? There were so many people milling about that it was impossible to tell.

At last, she came into whispering distance while still concealed in the shadows. “Pssst, Lord Langdon,” she called softly, “Over here.”

Davina and Alice

Laughing happily Alice crowed in return "Oh my, I am becoming famously attached to you already!" -- not even meaning their literal linking of arms (though that seemed a funny embodiment of her sentiment). The plainer fact was she loved her idea being declared as 'good' by the other lady.

And so the pair begun their sashay around the room, practising her flirtation. Alice cast inviting looks to the gents, then as they turned to admire she would modestly turn her cheek - some times to fake-whisper about said fellow to Davina and then steal another look back towards aforementioned gent with coquettish smile.

The thing was to try induce some confidence in a male to approach them.

Meanwhile their actual conversation continued. "I do like how you phrase that." being called 'poor sisters' in that certain tone that knew fully well how terribly blessed they really were, "Why I have tried my best to wrest greater liberty from my brothers, but they have these misguided senses that they know best." she emphasised, suspecting that Davina might be in the same boat.

Yet on the subject of completion Alice tipped her chin. "Well there are 'Ladies', and there are Ladies , and I think the quality gentlemen of court are prudent enough to distinguish us from the latter." Which was to say she thought that most others presented very little competition.

Davina took it a step further though, with her revelation that a swift settlement was not what she desired at all. Alice's eyes widened slightly at this controversial thought, then smiled appreciatively leaning in to murmur, "Such words, why such a miseducation you must have had in your upbringing, why I utterly love it." yes that was the sort of notion that she could get fully behind!

Indeed her new companion was proving to be quite the windfall. Alice broke off her fascination with a young gent in green to round her attention fully upon Davina then. "Ooh, a dare, why I am fully the bravest woman you shall cross paths with this evening." after a pause, "besides, I want to see if the man over there, the one in green will follow. And I just saw Rowland walk past and down the hall. I just know there shall be amusement wherever he is headed, he's a friend of my brothers, and quite a scallywag." she flashed another grin. "Are you averse to skipping?" Which was to say that they needed move quickly!

The Chathams & Arabella & ...

Charles inclined his head in response to Willoughby's greeting, using the motion to hide the genuinely pleased grin threatening to break through his affable courtly mask. He was pleased to see the other man, but still hoped that he would keep his distance for at least a few moments. Charles had enough balls to keep in the air as it was and, though he did not believe it, he would not rule out the possibility that he was the least sharp of the current company.

Returning his attention to that company, Charles gave an airy gesture and arched an eyebrow at his stepmother, attempting to convey that her guess was as good as his.

"Oh, I merely thought you might not have time to come. You seemed rather busy when last we spoke," Charles began, laying a path for Arthur to launch a conversational sally. "Damn near threw me out," he added in a raffish aside to the ladies.

Waving over a drinks bearing servant, Charles settled in to ensure the conversation progressed smoothly. He could make his excuses later.