JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Opening Reception

Prince Rupert

Douglas and Bridget

Lord Dundarg’s confidence in her meant a lot to Bridget and she took his advice to heart. He had been struggling with rejection ever since he had arrived at court and knew exactly what she was going through. She knew that acceptance would take time and that she might not make much progress this season. But any progress at all would be better than nothing. She needed to cultivate relationships so that people would speak well of her and change the King’s mind about her.

Her blue eyes lit up when he mentioned the Queen. “Wouldn’t it be grand if I could become one of her ladies-in-waiting?” She immediately sighed. “But that is probably an impossible dream.”

Bridget tilted her head to the side. “I need to start thinking of myself differently. I’m not here as my father’s daughter, but as my uncle’s niece. So I shall call myself the niece of the Earl of Lindsay from now on.   Maybe some courtiers won’t make the connection until I have charmed them.”

She grinned at Douglas. “I am no longer afraid of meeting people, so if you would like to introduce me to somebody, I will not protest. Just not Lord Buckingham. But I feel I have monopolized your time, so don’t feel as if you must stay with me.”

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sophia parting form Sarah and looking for more company

“Don’t worry,” Sophia said with a warm smile. “I will be fine. And I will certainly write you and let you know when the baby is born.” Sarah must think that she was farther along than she was. If the child was born this early, it would never survive. His little limbs pounded against her, as if reminding her that he was very much alive.

After her friend departed, she began making a slow circle about the room, her glass of fruit juice still in her hand. It seemed as if everyone she knew was part of a group and she was hesitant to barge in. She searched the faces of friends and strangers alike, hoping that someone would indicate that they wished for her to join them.

John and Fiona-with Cat stalking in

"Indeed he might.  Since I have failed to do so."

Cat watched her sister and the stranger she was with. He was taller than herself, even in heels.  Shorter than Adam had been and the King, but at least he wasn't breast level.  It would have been hard to hide Fiona if he had been, as she was close in height to herself.  "Lady Catriona MacGregor, Countess Alyth.  You seem to be acquainted with my sister."  Her tone was perfectly level, even if one brow was not.

Edited by Catriona MacGregor

Mountjoy, Eleanor, Henry and Cordelia

Henry seemed to be amenable to an acquaintance and did not appear to wish to make an issue of the relaxed approach made to his charge. He nodded encouragingly at the Baron’s account of the damage to his home. “It is fortunate that the bones of the structure remained sound, much easier to rebuild in that case. I hear that Italian plasterers are doing some impressive work if you are inclined to that style. I am all for modern finery but, for a country seat, there is something to be said for good old English oak and the skill of good old English carvers.” The normal course of such conversation would normally have devolved into a discussion of rebuilding and the inconveniences thereof but, to Charles’ mind, Lord Grey veered into a vastly more interesting path. At the phrase ’quite a few 12-point hearts’  Mountjoy became much more interested in the subject matter. “Really!”  He exclaimed for a man with a healthy heard of Red Deer was a man worthy of interest. He began to think of a way to engineer an invitation but Lord Grey relieved him of any need by graciously extending an open invitation to hunt on his land. “You are most hospitable and generous with your park. I daresay you may regret your offer for I certainly will attempt to relieve you of a few of your 12 pointers when I next find myself in the area.” He had not much call to get up to Derbyshire very often but if there was a crown case in the circuit during hunting season  he might just decide to handle it himself instead of delegating it to a subordinate.

“If you will be attending parliament in the next season, I will be able to reciprocate your courtesy with an invitation to my park in Epping. It is most conveniently located to the city but provides the most bucolic refuge from the city. I have recently enlarged the lodge there into a comfortable habitation. If your bent is for more inclined to the urbane, I would be pleased to stand you lunch after a session of the Lords.” It was never too early to begin to forge political bonds and the coalition he had shaped previously had atrophied during his time abroad.

Lady Lucas and Eleanor were conversing together on their own subject. His initial impression that Cordelia was something of a mother hen or more precisely a matronly mentor. Since she was obviously on good terms with Lord Grey so he hoped she would prove to be a beneficial guiding influence on the youthful Mistress Bayning. To all appearances Eleanor was a proper gentlewoman but unfortunately there were many indecorous gentlemen at court and a woman’s reputation was much more easily damaged than a man’s.

Turning so as to include all in his next address to Henry. “Have you any particular plans for your charming relation? As she has indicated an interest in botany I naturally suggested a promenade about the Orangery but I must confess I have little inclination of what amuses a young Lady so relying upon my judgement would be a frightful miscalculation.”

The Merry Gang, James, and Anne-Elisabeth

James had little and less to say on the matter of an heir, not thinking it a particularly amusing topic or being enough of a political creature to have much in the way of insight. Ormonde would likely have more insight, or even Ranelagh and Denbigh, but his gut said that a Protestant heir meant stability, and favoring stability seemed the prudent course as pertained to Ireland and his own family. O’Neill was a very Irish, and for the most part Catholic, name, but the County Down was an increasingly Protestant and Scottish-dominated area. Rocking the boat seemed disadvantageous.

But again, James was not a political creature, and these thoughts did not linger long in his head. Indeed, the present was shaping up to be an ideal moment to part from the Merry Gang and Lady Cambray, but Rochester’s mention of entertaining the king gave him pause.  That was something he’d had some practice with, if only the one time, but if it worked to please Buckingham that time, there was no sense in not volunteering his services in the hopes of a repeat.

“You know, my lords, while I haven’t the reputation to get away with vexing His Majesty,” James started, briefly considering that his lord father would be apoplectic if he knew that he was offering himself up for the Merry Gang’s mischief. “I would feel most un-gallant if I let you risk your necks alone for the sake of livening up court.”

Yet again, he smirked, briefly shooting Anne-Elisabeth a look. He seemed to recall them speaking last season about entertaining the king, and wondered if she too would volunteer. “I am, as Sir Charles said, insolent enough to see the need for some mischief – and while I suppose I run the risk, in turn, of seeming too ingratiating – I would be willing to volunteer to entertain. I love a good dare.”

Davina and Bristol

She could do little else but agree. Taking note of his cane she made sure to not up her own pace but matched to his.

"I think that the first gathering was indeed a good one. And the presence of Their Majesties made it even better."

They walked on in some silence and once he felt it was far enough answered her question.

"Well I have no one that trails behind me if that answers your question. It is not for want of trying."

She put a smile into her words to keep it light. She knew he would get to what he wished to say when he was ready.

Ah. So at last she was being told what to expect.

"I understood that but no one has really explained just HOW this whole business was to be done."

"I have no experience at all. Yet I have said I will search them out. To clear my name ."

"I agree. You have a plan already devised My Lord?" 

Sophia and Burgoyne

He had come with the Earl of Oxford who was milling elsewhere.  When he saw Sophia and her large stomach, he moved in her direction.  He had courted her prior to her marriage to Toledo but had been a fumble fingers around her.

"Lady Toledo," he greeted in a friendly fashion.  "While it is lovely to see you here, should you not be sitting down on a chair?  Can I assist you?"

Davina and Bristol

"Sunderland did not explain things?" Bristol asked in surprise when Davina professed ignorance of a plan.  "You are our bait my dear.  You are like a purse of gold left lying om the ground.  We look to catch the thief that tries to steal it," he began to explain.

"Based upon what you told us, we think the Catholic traitors will try and establish contact with you,  If they had wanted to kill you instead, to silence you, they would have done so already.  Thus, the two paths are that they ignore you, fearing you have been compromised, or they will approach you," he advised, as if it were a walk in the park.

"You will be watched while you are out of doors.  If you wear a red ribbon in your hair or on your sleeve, it will signal an urgent need to speak with one of us.  I will come to you, or my son John Digby or his wife Rachel will approach you and tell you that the crows have been extra loud, which will be a signal that your message has been received."  He paused to make sure she understood.

"Play along with them.  Make them think you are angry with the Crown and willing to join any plot.  Do not summon us until you have learned something significant about their membership or plans.  They will likely be watching you too.  Earn their trust and show no nervousness.   Destroy these traitors and you will be free of the taint placed upon you.  You are in a unique position to do a service to the Crown."  

With an indulgent smile he asked "have you question?  Surely you must."

Charles and Henrietta

Charles grinned as Henrietta advanced an alternative, and altogether too optimistic, theory for his sister suggesting 'Charlemagne' as a name for the dog.

"It would be nice to think so, but you did not see the glint in Catherine's eye when she suggested the name. No, the spectre of all my childhood mischief returned to haunt me knew exactly what she was proposing, and did it deliberately and with malice aforethought."

Despite his words, his tone was fond, and perhaps even proud. Catherine was his favourite of his siblings.

(And if that made what he thought he could see in her eyes of late sting all the more, well, he was simply not going to think about that now.)

He tracked the King approach to Cumberland, and then looked back to Henrietta, nodding in agreement with her thoughts on navigating the royal inner circle.

"That is the essence of it," he said, and then raised his glass in salute as she went on to reflect on the nature of being sovereign.

"And you would claim to lack wisdom, Selene? That is deeper than most ever come to think on the matter. There are a great many cares and demands to go with the power and the privilege, and the power, in particular, does not go so far as many seem to believe."

Beverley and Athenry

In and of itself, the drama which accompanied being married to the Duchess of Portsmouth did not particularly upset Athenry, who had experienced it from the first moment of their meeting. It had even extended to that meddling woman, Lady Ravenscar, whom he had considered pleasant enough for an old biddy until she had acted callously towards Louise’s plight. Nell Gwyn, too, had prepared him (albeit unkindly to Her Grace) for the temperamental outbursts. No, it was not the melodrama – not truly, anyways – that kindled resentment within the viscount.

It was that much more personal hurdle – the manner in which she had implied an attainable normalcy and, when granted it by the king, rejected it entirely. But there was no sense dwelling on it in this moment, not when he had done so in the past and would continue to do so in the future. Besides, Beverley himself was opening up, a rare sight.

His expression softened as his friend disclosed some of his own anxieties, a gentle smile being pleasant company to a nod of understanding that followed. “One day, my friend, we’ll be those old men,” Athenry uttered, attempting to be reassuring. “As for now, I think I understand the feeling.” It wasn’t quite the same, for it was obvious that Brooke truly did care for Beverley, but a younger Cadell had grown up feeling unappreciated by his father to the point that his family was still tense over the fallout there. “I think it difficult for the older generation to look upon us and not see the memories not just of our youth, but their own.” He pursed his lips, contemplatively. “That conjecture does little to ease the discomfort, I fear.”

The king and queen arrived, and Athenry dipped into a respectful bow, smiling as His Majesty loudly praised Prince Rupert, the viscount shooting a sidelong glance at Beverley in recognition that the praise also indirectly extended to him. “See? Already your work is being made known.” More quietly, he added, “I shan’t be offended if your duties call, and you must depart.”

Indeed, his grey eyes were already searching for recognition in the tail end of the royal procession, towards his friend Ashburnham, and then over to the nearby Catholic lords, in case Beverley had to leave. Or York, perhaps - I cannot give up hope there.

Beverley smiled and said, "Most often my work remains behind the scenes, and that is fine with me. His Majesty's attention makes me incredibly nervous. I can never compose my words."

His dark eyes kept trained on the royals together. They seemed to be happily discussing something, but he highly doubted it had anything to do him or his management of the Windsor season for his master.

"His Highness advocates for me when he might and the timing is right, the laurels and credit are for him, but he is a generous patron. I learn things which are far more valuable to me than advancement."

He nodded as his friend said he understood if his duty called. 

"I should at least be nearby enough that he can summon me if he wishes, you are correct, but it is doubtful that is necessary. It is likely the moment I leave you, I will be accosted, but I suppose that is a risk I am duty-bound to take." His chuckle was a bit uncomfortable. He was tiring of dealing with queries from ungrateful courtiers. "We shall catch up soon. When things have calmed down, I shall send you a note. The first two days or so are likely to be the most challenging."

With that he took his leave of his friend so that he could find a closer place in case he was needed. He took up a position about ten feet away from the royal trio along with a throng of other onlookers. He also kept his eyes open for his lady wife. It was hard to see everything at his, rather modest, height. 

Rupert and the Royal Couple

Rupert expected to be invited to the dinner arranged by the Queen so he too nodded amiably.  When the King suggested he invite Butterfly, the Prince knew very well who he intended.  Mall was an admirer of his, such that Peg was quite jealous of his attention to her.  Yet, Peg had no say in such affairs.  Mall would also annoy her brother, which was far more entertaining to the King.  "As you wish," he agreed.  It was a royal request.

"We will have time enough to speak at the dinner.  Your Majesties should go and mingle with your subjects and accept their heartfelt congratulations.  It will be like water to the thirsty," he recommended.  

Rupert was less inclined towards pageantry.  He happily stepped back and allowed the royal couple to proceed.

Bridget and Douglas

He tried to give what he felt was practical advice, rather than baseless reassurances. And Bridget seemed to take it on board, her manner brightening, her upright posture seeming to have more strength in it. She as stronger than she knew. "T'wuid be grand indeed." He agreed on the subject of her becoming a Queen's Lady in Waiting. "An' I wuidnae say tisnae possible, but I think nae this season."* After all, his advice had been to lie low to start with. Let the wound to the King's pride heal, then see what might happen. He liked her idea of introducing herself as the niece of the Earl of Linsey. Not normally preferable to being daughter of an Earl, but given her father was Danby it was probably a better angle. 

He'd been of a mind to introduce Bridget to Darleen, whilst renewing his acquaintance with the Duchess of Ablemarle, but now that he looked around he couldn't see the pair anywhere. There was Lady Toledo who would likely be quite amiable, but already a man had moved to join her, and one he didn't know so couldn't make introductions. Hmm. In another direction he spotted Cat approaching Fiona who was with another gentleman he didn't know. And here he thought his sisters had already left. He sighed inwardly. 

"I think yer richt lassie." He admitted. "Much as I wuidnae abandon ye, I cannae see onybody I ken wha isnae busy." At least, not to whom he could offer introductions. "Thair micht weel be a queue o' folks jus' waitin' tae talk tae ye." For she was stunning and he had also monopolised her. "Shall we part, an' see wha approaches us? I weel, o'course, see ye on Saturday." That he wouldn't miss for the world.

Subtitles
* "It would be grand. And I wouldn't say it isn't possible, but I think not this season."
** "I think you're right girl. Much as I wouldn't abandon you, I can't see anybody I know who isn't busy. There might well be a queue of people just waiting to talk to you. Shall we part, and see who approaches us? I will, of course, see you on Saturday."

Eleanor had always been told that, whilst a woman should defer to a gentleman and not trouble him with her own thoughts and concerns, it was good to take her female companions into her confidence, and to depend upon the wisdom and experience of older ladies. Lady Lucas seemed a little upset over the manner in which she had arrived at court, but Eleanor could only assume that the older lady was concerned for her, which was terribly dear of her. So when Cordelia asked after her intentions now that she was at court, she answered discretely if honestly. Cordelia's reply felt like a slap in the face. 

Beneath her makeup, Eleanor went white, and then tinged red, first with shock, and then with distress. From her comments and questions Lady Lucas seemed to think that she was nothing more than an uneducated country bumpkin, with no concept of how to comport herself. She'd put so much effort into ensuring that she did look and act appropriately that the words nearly brought her to tears, her lashes glistening as the skin about her eyes reddened. She wanted nothing more than to run off, in tears, but she was no child now, and she would not let her mother's efforts at finishing her prove to be all in vain. 

"Lady Lucas," she began as the other woman wound down, cursing the quaver in her voice, "on the one hand you counsel me against over-confidence" in both the sense of revealing all to others and of assuming all would be as she pleased, no doubt, "and in the next breath you ask me a barrage of questions, many of them personal, which can only be answered in confidence. What ever am I to think?" She asked, genuinely confused, and somewhat distressed, over the lady's manner. Don't cry, don't cry. 

Of course she'd been raised well, educated well, and carefully warned of the perils of court, by both her parents. She was by training a pliant young woman but she'd also seen her mother stand up to her grandmother when the old dowager grew too picky with things not being to her liking, and Lady Bayning nee Alice Grey did not suffer fools lightly. Perhaps there was something of her mother in Eleanor, just waiting for the right catalyst, for she drew a deep breath and lifted her chin. "You appear to have made a number of unflattering and baseless assumptions about me, which is terribly unkind." She observed, sounding wounded. Yes she knew she needed introductions, yes she knew she couldn't stay with Lord Grey, yes arrangements had been made. But she was disinclined to acquiesce to Cordelia's demanding questions. She was a Viscounts daughter, not some common servant. 

Not to mention that Cordelia's implications were insulting to her family. "You have only just been introduced to me, and have never met my parents, yet you appear to have decided that we are all fools." She sniffed, though it was more of a sniffle than the gesture of disapproval she was hoping for. Oh but to have the hauteur of her mother. "Since you have given me such excellent advice, I shall take it and thank you, and not be over-confident. If you would ask such questions, you may ask them of my Sponsor, Lord Grey." There. Since she was such a friend of Lord Grey, and apparently didn't trust Eleanor to be let out without a leash, let him manage her awful assumptions. Eleanor felt like she'd been treated as a child, caught with her dress all muddied, rather than a young lady making her debut. 

Fortunately Lord Mountjoy directed his next question more towards the group as a whole, and Eleanor had an excuse to turn towards him and away from Lady Lucas. "The Orangery does sound delightful." She opined, with a hopeful glance at Lord Grey, but otherwise waited to hear what Henry would say. It occurred to her belatedly that to upset Lady Lucas might be to upset him, since she was his friend, and she had no desire to do that. But what was said, was said. On both sides. 

Kingston and Basildon

Kingston mentioned about slander, causing Louis to recall the steady supply of broadsheets defaming Kingston and his cousin.  One editor of his newspapers had wanted to run a story about the rumors but Louis had quashed it.  He was an ally of Buckingham.  In fact, he could use his newspapers to help Kingston if it might be well-regarded.  "Ah yes, I understand.  Pamphleteers are without scruples, and facts."  Left unsaid was that he used pamphlets to his own advantage.

"The West Indies Company has ships but I fear I own none.  A yacht sounds delightful but I have not explored the logistics.  Perhaps I can join in on your cousin's yacht somehow.  I fear I am no seaman but perhaps I can be of assistance.  As I recall, you are a captain are you not?  Perhaps I can climb aboard an opponent's yacht to slow it down," he laughed.

As for his own travels during the recess, Basildon noted "I visited Versailles.  I am told it is quite similar to the north of England.  Am I wrong?" he asked sarcastically.  All southern lords made sport of the rustic north.

"Perhaps you should explore them. They offer a unique kind of speed and freedom," Francis replied. "You need not be a seaman, only hire a trusted and experienced crew."

As to his own abilities, he dipped his head in a pretty nod, "More former than current, but I take what opportunities I can to feel the swells of the sea. The Thames will have to do." He had a tenor sort of light chuckle, rather than a deep reverberating sound.

"Would you? If you knew my likely competition, I am not sure that would be wise. It would be more like that you should climb aboard mine and try to make me go astray."

The joke about the North of England being like Versailles caused a huff of amusement from the slightly younger man. "I can safely say that the Northern reaches of His Majesty's kingdom do not compare to the Southern ones. I also confess that I find the notion of scratching at the door with one's pinky exceedingly odd* though His Grace greatly recommends Versailles. Perhaps next he goes diplomatically, I will get to accompany him. Your cousin can attest that my French is superb." Francis had learned French simultaneously with English as a child. He had been born there and spoke it like he was a native.

(OOC - in Versailles, they don't knock, they pinky scratch >.>)

Rupert and the Royal Couple part ways

"Should we?" Karoline gave a bemused chuckle at her Uncles instruction, "Only if you promise to later tell us what you wish of Duke Buckingham?  Here his long legs carry him this way swift." 

The lady gave Cumberland a farewell a nod, and then smiling toward the room quietly spoke with her husband. "We are yet to confirm who to have as Godparents..."  The topic of baby was the couples greatest joy.

Others in the Royal Entourage

There was a tall austere looking fellow whose firm free hand kept Dorothea's locked upon his arm.  "I had expected there to be a March.  Surely we did not arrive late for that Lady Mountjoy?" John Frederick asked in German.

There in fact seemed to be no music at all. 

Dorothea's eyes cast about, and spying Francis she sent a small smile. 

"I am not privy to the Master of the Kings music progress, though I am sure I did hear he was working on something, months ago.  Do you know, just between you and I, he is yet to actually publish any great musical work*."  Also spoken in German, and a tad gossipy for Ursula, perhaps it was an influence of using her native tongue. 

* true fact 

Darlene and Elizabeth

“Not yet, but perhaps I ought?” Darlene mused of Irish gents, though her mind blanked upon who the good ones might be.  “My cousin Lady Atherstone married one, though for the life of me I don’t know what she saw in him. He had a potty mouth and was terribly rude.  Really she was lucky when he got the plaque and was dead.”

“Thank you dear.” She smiled to Elizabeth with her solidarity on ignoring Lord L  (Though it was easier said than done), as just over there she saw Charles, distracted, and then he practically walked into someone.    

“I have had enough of soldiers.” Darlene claimed… grateful then for the distraction of arriving Royals. The young Queen looked healthy and well, while the King seemed quite relaxed.  Both content. 

“I wonder if they actually see each other much? Perhaps that is the secret to how they manage to seem so fond of each other.”  quietly said.

The Royals with Rupert not leaving yet and Buckingham joining

His Grace, the Duke of Buckingham knew how to move in a packed room. This was mostly because everyone moved out of his way, but also because his grace was an apt mode of address for a man of style. 

Of course, he had no idea that he was moving into one of His Majesty's typical digs at him. He merely thought he was getting his due as part of the King family, even if not by blood - unless one counted children by his numerous cousins. 

His turn of leg was pretty any day but in a room with so many eyes on him he had an artistry and beauty of movement few could manage. 

"Your Majesties." He added "Your Highness" toward Rupert before turning his attention to Charles and saying quietly, "You summoned?" with a cheeky grin. To the Queen he asked, "And how is little Charles-Henry?" He would, of course, kiss her hand gallantly if it was offered.

The King waited for his wife to answer Bucks and then said, "Her Majesty wishes to have a dinner with Ru and the Margrave of Brandenburg-Ansbach and his sister Princess Dorothea on Saturday." There was a pause.

Buckingham raised a blond brow. He knew his King. He knew his King from his farting in the bed when he was seven years old at one of the hunting lodges; he could sense when something was coming.

The King continued, "I have suggested Rupert bring Butterfly. Her conversation is so erudite and poetic, and she is so very fond of Germans." The King could not help a shameless smile.

Up went Buckingham's other brow, truly he knew he was also about to be invited, but he played along nevertheless. "Ephelia and her Phylocles, how very poetic indeed*," Buckingham quipped. His sister was famous for writing poetry and giving cryptic classical names to courtiers. Charles was, of course, Clovis. 

Charles' lips quivered and he said, "And I suppose you can bring yourself."

In order to not give Charles the pleasure, he said without a measure of annoyance, "I'd be delighted."

Quite honestly, he was of the belief that his sister and Rupert should have married when they'd had the chance after the King was restored, but no. Neither wanted to give up their religion, which was a silly matter, but Mall didn't want any children raised in a separate faith and thus destined for Hell, and Rupert couldn't conscience giving the Palatinate any Catholic heirs through him.

There had been a point in time where young Rupert had been called home to the Palatinate by his dear mama because everyone had been afraid he would convert for Buckingham's sister and considering his father had been deposed by a Catholic, that would not have been popular.** Rupert was young and foolish and not so boring then.

Unable to totally let it go, Buckingham said amiably, "I do love German wines, and the Palatinate produces the best." Buckingham was not a fan of Rhenish wines, Charles would know, but it was the best of the drivel the Germans produced. Drinkable, at least.

"And we shall have plenty," Charles announced jovially. "Now, my dear, let us mingle! And answer everyone's well-wishes about Charles-Henry."

He pointedly turned and  left Buckingham and Cumberland together. George would love that, needing to wait for Rupert's leave to leave himself. Perhaps they would have a little chat. That would be good for them. He nearly ordered them to have a chat.

Loves Rhenish wines. The King snorted, nobody could banter with him like Bucks.

(OOC - *One of Ephelia's (Mall's) most popular poems is written about she and Rupert. **True history, they were star-crossed lovers who never hopped in the sack.)

Darlene and Elizabeth

Elizabeth listened to Darlene acknowledge the coarseness of the Irish, finding herself nodding in agreement.  "No sane English girl should consider a match with anything but an English gentlemen."  She did not care to elaborate as, to her, it was self-evident.

As to the royal couple, Elizabeth tutted.  "She sees him at his convenience while He philanders with his circle of toadies.  These moments are rare for her and to be celebrated.  Delivering a royal heir is the greatest thing a queen can accomplish."  Perhaps there was a rueful note to her comment.  The Queen had shown her fertility.  Elizabeth had not, at least not yet.

Kingston and Basildon

On acquiring a yacht, Basildon smiled and replied, "the way you describe it, I think it would be easier for me to get myself invited aboard a yacht as a guest and leave the rest to the host,:  It did seem less complicated.  "Might you win a race solely by inviting the most beautiful ladies to sail with you and wave to the crowd? A lesser purse?"  he jested.

"The French custom is more efficient," Louis defended with mock seriousness.  "Not only does it alert the occupant, but it also grooms your fingernails at the same time.  It also keeps the occupant guessing whether the visitor is a human or a rodent."

John and Fiona with Cat Arriving

Her words gave him pause ..... She was afraid of The King?

"You are making that up. Clearly you have a way for Drama."

Said as she came back round to stand by bis side.

"A marriage can hardly be made without Family approval even for The King."

That part about her sister being the mistress of The King and having a child left him utterly wordless. And the fact that she talked about it so openly made him wish for a drink.

It was then another voice joined in.

He turned at the sound only to see an apparition of Beauty who was like a spark to his senses

"Indeed he might.  Since I have failed to do so."

She said her name but John stood just looking at her his mind grasping the fact that she was the SISTER of Fiona and a Countess but he could don't get his body to react. His blue eyes took in her features and noted the raised brow and his mind clicked back into place as a picture of his Mother with that same look appeared   .....

"John Palliser, Baron Silverbridge." He gave a small bow of his head.

"Only slightly. We were introduced in Church - Easter. Our conversation was little obviously. I have recently returned from Virginia to sell my crops of Tobacco. And to renew friendships which is why I am here."

"Your sister was .... just passing .... when the King and Queen arrived and, well, you know the rest."

He smiled down at her. His eyes held curiosity and he wanted to know more about her.

The idea of drinking had vanished. As had that little bit of information about the King and his mistress and child  ......

Edited by John Palliser

Davina and Bristol

"I meant that it was never explained to me the 'workings' of it all."

"Of course I know I am the Lamb. It is what I agreed to be and I have said already my reason for it."

"I have wondered how I shall be approached. Windsor is small yet with Court here tis brimming over and so I imagined far easier."

"His Highness has agreed to this 'new position' for which I am grateful. I do not imagine that many actually believe it and so far none has said to my face what is being discussed behind my back."

She smiled at the older man.

"I am long enough here to understand and I can keep my head high. It will take more than that."

"Well I am still above the grass My Lord. Even tho I am fearful of attack I will not give up."

She nodded her head as he spoke of red ribbons as a way to communicate.

"That is a good tacit but I had no idea that your son and daughter-in-law are involved. I had thought the fewer the better."

"I have made some noise to seek out some Ladies to aid me in this redesigning - it will give me credibility after all. And might you think that those who plot will be amongst those that are to help?"

"Well I can speak ill of my 'lost position' well enough to make it seem I am now ill-favored to my former Mistress or even The King."

"Will what I have said be of sense?"

The Royals with Rupert not leaving yet and Buckingham joining

It was long history that Karoline had married into, these three now had known each other for a double of her own lifespan and more - but Karoline had not gotten to where she was today by being cowed.  Nor had she stinted in learning many of the details of the lives and important persons in her Husband the King of England Scotland, Ireland (and lets not mention the scrap of France).

Extending her hand to the showman Duke, Karoline smiled to reply, "He has lusty lungs and a great appetite, then when he sleeps is angelic of appearance.  Why I wouldn’t wonder that we could fill a theatre with persons enraptured with his daily performances.  Though I fear the standing ovations might wake him." 

Her tone was bright, her eyes also, though her eyes did not remain upon the Duke for long before returning to CR's.  She was very much enjoying the joy he radiated to her. 

The men behaved boyish over the dinner invitations, while she understood Mall with her various nicknames, there was a subtlety in their conversation that evaded her.  She almost advised them that Dorothea's brother was not much of a poetry lover (so Mall's prowess in that regard was less likely to be required).  But then the punchline seemed to be that Duke Buckingham did not have a plus one. 

"In which case might I suggest Duke Buckingham brings Lady Kingston." Which seemed quite perfect from Karoline’s perspective.

And then they were turning with a view to receiving the well wishes from Courtiers - Karoline’s eyes showed interest to those who approached.   

Darlene and Elizabeth

Darlene was content to agree with Elizabeth’s strict opinion, which was reminiscent of the ladies society that her Mother had aspirations within.  At that moment she might have told Darlene the only option was a Chinaman for as much as it related to her (Darlene imagined she would die before she might marry again.)

"And so swiftly achieved also, it was barely a year ago they were married. I think."  She murmured in a similar tone, "I suppose they shall want several more children still. Two boys at least, three would be safer. Childhood is a dangerous time, not to mention how easy it is to fall of a horse and break your neck at any age."

Thomas had died while riding.

And riding was less risky than sailing (she had thought).

"Four boys would be safer still - my Mama had four, three are alive still, which I count as quite fortunate." a sigh, "Really girls hardly count at all. Now wonder we pout." 

Mountjoy, Eleanor, Henry and Cordelia

“As long as a few are left to service the does after your departure, Lord Mountjoy, and you dispense with a head for one of Codnor’s walls, you can have your share”. Lord Grey knew enough of the basics of keeping a healthy herd, which included culling of competing males, to not mind the Marquis to hunt a few. A trophy for his wall would be enough in exchange for the man's pleasure. As for the reciprocating invitation to Epping Forest, “a lunch after a session of Lords would be a pleasure, my lord”. If I die from a self-inflicted wound while hunting, or from a horse bite, I would rather do it in my own park, thank you very much.

Henry had been too busy talking about Codnor’s fire and deer park with Lord Mountjoy to register all the words, tones, undertones, and fan movements that had occurred between the two ladies. If he had, he would have turned all shades of red, starting with beet. He did notice the pleading glance in his direction as Lord Mountjoy suggested the Orangery to her. As the young lady seemed amenable to the idea, and considering Charles Blount safe, he smiled and assented with a nod. “A quiet stroll through the Orangery sounds fine to me”. He then paused before adding, “I will be here when you get back, Mistress Eleanore”.

The lord and young lady leaving would leave Cordelia and Henry by themselves again.

The viscounts depart…

Athenry laughed lightly at Beverley’s self-deprecating remark about His Majesty’s attention, confiding, “I oft feel much the same. When I asked him at the ball about marrying Her Grace, I was certain that I might die from all the eyes on me, and that I had gone mad if I truly wished to follow through.”

“But then…” He shrugged, as if to say There is only one way to know. But Beverley then mentioned that he had his own Prince to worry about, which was true enough, and they seemed a better match besides. A curious sort – which Cadell Mortimer absolutely was – might have inquired further about what things it was that the future Lord Brooke knew, but the timing simply was not there. One of them had official duties, the other nebulous and largely self-imposed.

“Go with God, my friend,” the viscount uttered, wishing his closest friend truly well. “And pray do not let the wolves tear you apart when there is juicier game about.”

…and one eyes York but remains approachable

Giving Beverley a respectful nod as they parted, he scanned the crowd, eying up York and his retinue. He assumed that the royal couple and their baggage train of retainers and hangers-on would make their way to the former heir to the throne, but if not, it could be worth a reintroduction – they had not spoken since his return from France, setting back efforts to ingratiate himself there.

And if nothing else, he could refill his glass, though it was early yet, and there might be others worth speaking to.

And so the viscount limped slowly, off to a spot where he could be reasonably sighted by His Royal Highness and called over. Having rescued his friend once, he was not averse to meeting another, but his good deed for the day, so to speak, had been done.

Edited by Cadell Mortimer

Darlene and Elizabeth

Fortunately for Darlene, the lady's mind on matters often changed.  An alleged Chinaman would play a role in her friend's life in the far future.

"Three sons are needed," she agreed.  "Royal girls matter to form alliances but, for the rest, we are more a tax on our family.  But we need not pout my dear.  We achieve in what ways we can."  For her it was the exploration of the occult and holding back the pollution of English bloodlines. 

Davina and Bristol

"Good, you have the right approach," Bristol encouraged as they moved forward at a slow pace.  He did not address what courtiers might be saying behind her back for it was very difficult to contain gossip from spreading.  There was no need to discourage her.

"Your position from the Prince places you outside.  We think it more likely traitors will approach you outside since they pass fewer guards and can blend in with groundskeepers.  If we placed you in the music room, no spy would approach you because they would stand out," he chuckled.

"Be angry that you lost your position.  Blame it on lies spread about you by rivals or damnable Protestants seeking to steal positions from Catholics," he suggested.  "They will like that."

As for his family, Bristol explained "I have my family part of this because it must look like the Digby's have adopted you.  If you were approached by several people, it would confirm you are working for the Crown.  If you are only visited by the elderly Bristol and his family, it could mean you are still open to treason.  Does this make sense to you Miss Wellsley?" 

Charles and Henrietta

Despite his words, Henrietta could tell that Lord Chatham was fond of his younger sister. He will be an excellent father one day. He was also thinking along the same lines when it came to impressing the King. It was rare to meet a gentleman whose intelligence equaled or surpassed her own and even rarer to find one that agreed with her and didn’t dismiss her ideas as silly simply because of her gender.

She smiled. “I wouldn’t call that wise, only observant, but thank you for the compliment anyway. Most of those courtiers who want that power and privilege don’t think beyond acquiring it. They don’t understand that a King’s life is not his own and the sacrifices he must make are greater than the perks he receives. And he always walks around with a target on his back. I wonder if he ever wishes he was just a nobleman instead of a King."  After a short pause, she added:  "Or even a pig farmer."  It was another attempt at a joke.

Douglas and Bridget parting

“Maybe next season.” Bridget smiled mischievously. Even that was aiming too high, she knew, but who knew what might happen this season? Maybe a door would open that would help her in her quest for acceptance. And if it didn’t, perhaps she would just break one down and walk right through.   All she needed was a chance to shine.

Her eyes traveled the room. Douglas was right. Almost everyone was conversing in groups and she would rather not be snubbed by several people at once. “I doubt that,” she sighed, “but we can hope. Yes, let us part and we will see each other again on Saturday.” Again she held up her hand to be kissed. “Until then, my lord."