JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Opening Reception

Prince Rupert

Charles and Henrietta

Henrietta remembered hearing about the sleigh race. She had decided not to go because she had been afraid that she might be forced to participate and she was not good at that sort of thing. In fact, she generally stayed away from anything involving the Misrule tradition. It was all in good fun, but unpredictability and the potential for embarrassment was not her kind of fun. Would that be a problem if they married, she wondered, or would Lord Chatham convince her to try things she usually avoided? He certainly seemed to have had a good time and had made a new friend in the process.

Maybe I should try to be a bit more adventurous.

She did notice the omission of his stepmother when he spoke of his siblings, but didn’t think much of it. Maybe she encouraged her children’s antics, and Charles didn’t approve. He might be a libertine, but perhaps he didn’t want his siblings to follow in his footsteps. Henrietta thought that she could be a good influence on them if she became his wife.

“Do you think so?” She grinned at his compliment. “I’m hoping that some of her namesake’s wisdom rubs off on her eventually.” Having not seen Lord Chatham’s own puppy, she had not understood the significance of his name. “So that’s why you called him Sertorius. It is much better than ‘Patch.’  My sister tried to convince me to name mine ‘Poky.’ That’s a ridiculous name for such an active little creature.”

Before they could join the crowd around the doorway, the King and Queen entered. Henrietta dropped into a deep curtsy and as she rose, she saw the King’s gaze light upon Lord Chatham. “He looked at you!” she whispered. “You must have already made an impression on him!”

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Douglas and Bridget

Bridget had feared that Lord Dundarg would refuse to help her get to the front of the crowd after she had warned him that being seen with her might do him no favors. However, he did as she requested. It was not difficult for such a tall gentleman to move through a crowd and yet he did it with an easy grace that she admired. She stepped slightly away from him when he found a place for them so that it would look as if they had wound up side by side accidentally, not wanting him to suffer for her father’s disgrace should the King’s reaction to her be unfavorable.

Yet still she hoped that he would forgive her.

As it turned out, he didn’t smile at her, or even glance at her at all. His gaze moved right through her as if she was invisible. Her heart fell to the pit of her stomach and she could feel tears well behind her eyes. She wanted to flee and as the royal couple moved farther into the room, the path to the door was clear.

Clenching her fists at her sides, she resisted the impulse. Bridget took a deep breath and closed her eyes to regain her composure. Standing up straight, she lifted her chin defiantly. She had not come to court to give up at the first sign of rejection, nor had she believed that regaining acceptance would be a simple matter. She was going to have to work hard to step beyond the contempt everyone felt for her father and prove herself worthy on her own merit.

Bridget moved closer to Douglas. “I am not going to hide anymore,” she said in a determined tone of voice. “I am going to do everything in my power to change the King’s view of me, and everyone else’s too. Do you think I have any chance of succeeding, my lord?"

James, Anne-Elisabeth, and the Merry Gang

Clever she might be, but well-read she was not, and Anne-Elisabeth didn’t understand most of the references that Master O’Neill made. I shall have to remedy that, she thought, as well as learn more about poetic forms. “Then it’s a good thing that I am a fast learner,” she replied with a quick glance at Dorset. The double Earl did not react to her implied request for more lessons in acting like a man. Maybe he was not yet completely recovered from that nasty beating. 

He seemed fine with a bout of drinking, though. She was fairly certain she would not be invited to that kind of party, though if she could find out where they were meeting, she could crash it, maybe with a female libertine friend. Nicolette, perhaps, if she could tear herself away from the King.

Anne-Elisabeth wondered if they had been talking about her while she was gone. She rather hoped they had been. Right after her return, the King and Queen arrived, and she curtsied respectfully. The King’s eyes fell on the Merry Gang first, and she hoped that he had seen her in their company. She still aspired to become one of the witty companions he liked to surround himself with.

“They certainly look well,” she commented. “Then again, they have every reason to be pleased with themselves.” It wasn’t particularly witty, but sometimes the truth could stand on its own.

Sophia and Sarah

“Oh, he’s here. We arrived together. I just prefer not to interrupt him unless it's necessary. And I’m doing quite fine in your excellent company.”

Lord Arundel looked toward her, but his expression remained neutral and it was possible that he had not actually seen her. Sophia was disappointed but not surprised. Attracting his attention at all could be dangerous, especially if her suspicions turned out to be true.

The King and Queen entered the reception and Sophia curtsied as best she could. She noticed the King’s gaze sweep toward her but maybe he didn’t really see her either, despite the fact that she was rather difficult to miss.

Once they had moved on, she turned to Sarah. “I think I shall take a stroll around the room. The baby seems restless and walking often calms him down. I will be fine on my own if you want to join your mistress or catch up with your friends.”

Mountjoy, Lady Lucas, Mistress Eleanore, and Lord Grey

“My father was stern, as he should, but also kind. He allowed me to choose my path in life, which is more than what most men can say. It was I who was feisty, not him unreasonable”. Like the time I set fire to the mound of dry autumn leaves using a large loupe. Sitting after I was caught was painful for almost a week. But Cordelia’s words did make Henry smile. He had good memories of his father. He had not been perfect, but he had been a good man.

Henry laughed, it was a free laugh, not too loud, but entirely genuine. “I find intellect far more attractive than body or face, Lady Lucas. But better keep it a secret between us”. An intelligent woman was not a requirement for marriage. Once who could give him an heir was. Lord Grey would mould himself to the wife that the Almighty gave him… within boundaries, of course.

As for Mistress Eleanore, “I have not seen her for about five years or so. Last time I did, she was just a girl, running behind her cousins. She would not have introduced herself to Lord Mountjoy, no. But if she was alone, he would ever be the gentleman, and introduce himself so he could keep her company”. Although Mountjoy and Grey had never been formally introduced, they had attended some of the same functions, and had of course heard of each other… just like they had heard about most of court. The rumour mill was ever churning titbits of truth and lies.

As they finally reached their targeted pair, and the Marquis requested for a formal introduction, the Baron bowed formally and did just that. “Lord Mountjoy, Lady Lucas, may I introduce Mistress Eleanore Grace Bayning, Daughter of Viscount Bayning. Mistress Eleanore, may I introduce The Marquess of Mountjoy, one of the finest peers of the realm, and Lady Cordelia Lucas, a relation of the Duke of Newcastle-upon-Tyne”.

With proper forms having been met, even with some license taken, they could now talk at leisure. “Mistress Eleanore, a pleasure to see you again after such a long time. Pray, tell me, when did you arrive?”

Edited by Henry Grey

Charles and Henrietta

"The pups' mother had a certain cunning, but little enough wisdom, or so I gathered from his Majesty, so if your Minerva is to share the Bright-Eyed's wisdom you will have to teach her Selene." His nose wrinkled. "I might have let them get away with Patch, but the other suggestion gaining ground was 'Charlemagne,' and I will not be named second to a dog in my own household. I had to intervene, my resolution to let them name him notwithstanding."

He chuckled.

"And you are not wrong. Poky is an ill-fitting name for one of Daisy's brood. Even Patch or Charlemagne would serve better."

He had not been alone in taking notice of the King taking notice of him, Charles saw, and hid a fond smile at Henrietta's enthusiastic reaction. He did not want her to think that he mocked her.

"I flatter myself that he does not dislike me, and even enjoys my company, but that is in no small part because I have as yet asked nothing of him. It would not do to read too much into a look either."

He grinned conspiratorially.

"But it is satisfying, yes."

Lord Mountjoy, Lady Lucas, Mistress Eleanor, and Lord Grey

It was magical. Absolutely magical. She watched, entranced, as the Royal Couple made their way over to Prince Rupert with such grace and joviality. The young fellow with the fetching blonde ringlets whom Lord Mountjoy had named Kingston made way for them, and she noted that he barely looked older than she! Well, perhaps a little. But the thought occurred that, if a respectable young man could be in the immediate presence of Royalty, then why not a respectable young woman? 

She was drawn back from her star-struck daydreaming by Lord Mountjoy's ever so quiet observation that 'she' did not appear to be present. He must mean his wife, and Eleanor felt a little sad for the man, for he had so clearly anticipated seeing her. But the comment had been so quiet that Lord Mountjoy might not even have realised that he had spoken aloud, so she said nothing, pretending that she hadn't heard. Rather she responded to his more clear exposition on the Queen. "She does. Radiant and majestic." She agreed, thinking who could not admire the woman who had brought stability to the Three Kingdoms. 

It was Mountjoy who first noticed the approach of Lord Grey and Lady Lucas and Eleanor felt somewhat chargrinned, both that she had been so distracted by the Royals, and that she was in the presence of a man, however chivalric, to whom she had not been formally introduced. Fortunately her companion was such an elegant and astute spokesman that he seemed to smooth it over with little more than elegant pleasantries. She'd never been described as a 'pleasant, sunlit isle' before, but she lowered her gaze with a faint, demure nod of her head, fan up to hide some of the pinking of her cheeks as he declared that she was both amiable and well mannered. She did try, and it was gratifying to hear his words. 

Feeling eyes on her, Eleanor risked a glance up, seeing Lady Lucas studying her critically, and her blush deepened. The lady looked of a similar age to Lord Grey, and was clearly known to both gentlemen. That must mean that she, too was a respectable lady, but Eleanor suddenly felt as though she were about to be dressed down by her mother. Fortunately Lord Grey seemed to take no offence, facilitating introductions smoothly. Eleanor curtseyed gracefully to all three of them as she was introduced, carefully schooling her expression. Not only was Lord Mountjoy a Marquess, but Lady Lucas was a relative of the Duke of Newcastle! Her distant cousin moved in high circles. She supposed she did too now. It was a heady and intimidating thought, but she vowed not to be cowed by it. "It is a pleasure to meet you all." She said politely. 

Lord Grey, having said that he was pleased to see her again, which she hoped was true, asked when she arrived. It was a reasonable question, but probably a pointed one, given that she was supposed to have made contact with him the previous evening. "We arrived just before the Reception started, my Lord" She replied, indicating her chaperone nearby. "Our carriage broke an axle on the way here and we were forced to overnight in a roadside Inn." Which was in itself a trifle embarassing. "But it was a good Inn, and they had a room for Mary and myself." She added, risking a glance up at the man who would no doubt be reporting back to her parents, not wanting him to think that she'd stayed in any old place, not been billeted amongst commoners. "I apologise for not being here to contact you yesterday, as arranged." She added, gaze firmly lowered. The last thing she wanted was to be in trouble the very day that she arrived. 

"I thought it best to meet you at the Reception, and Lord Mountjoy was most kind and gallantly offered his company until you were available." For she'd spotted him fairly quickly, but he'd been deep in conversation with the elegant Lady Lucas. She did wonder what they'd been talking about, and risked a glance up at Lord Grey and Lady Lucas in turn. "He was describing for me the novelty of the porcelain from the new Meissen workshop." Amongst other things, but it was an innocent topic of conversation, right? She glanced up at the gentleman in question, offering a shy smile of gratitude. In an environment which was entirely foreign to her, he had made her feel slightly more at home. 

Catriona and Arlington

"If they outshine you, then they must blind gentlemen," Arlington flattered.

He smiled as she recognized what few young ladies did ... that older gentlemen were far more interesting.  "They say that youth is wasted on the young," he quipped in return.

Arlington was probably the ugliest man at court.  The plaster covering his nose was hard to miss; yet, he seemed unaware of his repulsiveness.  "Astute observations."

Cat would see Fiona in the company of John.  As the King arrived, her sister seemed to shrink away a bit.

Davina and Young Stafford Leaving and Davina Seeing Bristol

She smiled again sending him off.

A small sigh and she herself was ready to move towards an archway that would allow her to quietly leave. Half turning it was by sheer chance that she caught the eye of the Earl of Bristol who was making his way to where she stood.

well thats going to make my day

She could hardly leave so trying to calm herself she waited for him to reach her.

perhaps it is not ME that he seeks but some other   ......

John and Fiona

He looked down at her with that half smile clearly amused by her. When she said she 'was not alone' and that he had to be on his best behavior it made him glance up and his eyes squinted a bit as he looked about the area. But he could see no pair of eyes trained on him specifically so he let it go. The room was overly crowded anyway.

It was then that The King and Queen made their entrance and John deftly made to make his reverence but her suddenly going behind his back stilled him as did her whispered words of not being seen.

"Don't worry we are far enough from that Center I hardly think we matter."

"Now care to tell me what you meant?"

He continued to face forward and it was instinct that had him lower his right arm as if to protect her.

He was still sober enough to be alert but also way to unfamiliar with this girl to know if she was serious or teased.

Bridget and Douglas

The King looked straight through Bridget as though she weren't there, and then he moved on. She had separated herself slightly from him as though they were not in fact associated, and for a moment Douglas thought that perhaps she didn't want to be seen with him, as that was the response that he was used to. Then it occurred to him that perhaps she thought he might not want to be seen with her. Given the King's obvious disdain, he had to admit a niggling doubt had begun to form regarding how closely he wanted to be associated with Danby's daughter, but he resolved that he would not reject her as others had rejected him.

He waited quietly, watching the Royals, not intruding whilst she marshalled herself. Then, somewhat to his surprise, Bridget drifted back to his side, her poised manner returned, and asserted that she would not hide. "Guid fer ye, lassie."* He replied with a small, rueful but sympathetic smile, for he understood exactly how she felt. Understanding too the determination to change the views of others. 

Did he think she had a chance of making that change? "Aye, I do." He replied, having gone through something similar himself. "But t'will take time." Which she surely knew. "Time heals aw woonds, an' absence maks the heert grow fonder." Or forgetful. "His Majesty doesnae hauld grudges if he doesnae need tae." He added quietly. After all, Douglas had been sent to Scotland for shagging a Royal Mistress, and yet here he was. It helped that the King and Heather had tired of each other. "He michtnae fergive yer father, but if ye stay oot o' the King's ee, mak friends at coort an' do nocht as weel gie him cause tae notice ye in a poor licht, I wuid say that he weel cam tae fergive ye in time."** That was the best advice that Douglas could give her, based on his own experiences. It was a tricky thing, but sometimes just lying low and waiting for things to blow over was the best policy. 

"Whin yer rairdy fer Royal notice, try the Quin."*** he advised. She had no personal reason to dislike the Osbornes, and Bridget was a fine and proper young lady. 

Subtitles
* "Good for you, girl."
** "Yes, I do. But it will take time. Time heals all wounds, and absence makes the heart grow fonder. His Majesty doesn't hold grudges if he doesn't need to. He mightn't forgive your father, but if you stay out of the King's eye, make friends at court and do nothing that will give him cause to notice you in a poor light, I would say that he will come to forgive you in time. 
*** "When you're ready for Royal notice, try the Queen.

Catriona and Arlington, then approaching John intently

Cat was very proud of her sisters and thought them all the most beautiful of girls.  Yes, Shona was more aesthetically pleasing.  Fiona's personality (to the bane of Cat's existence) shone brighter.  And Aileen was just coming into her own.  They were all stunning.  At least in her humble opinion.

Cat really didn't have a witty response to the saying.  She couldn't remember ever feeling young.  Responsibility had been thrust on her at a very young age.  "I hope you don't believe that applies to me?," she said.

No matter how ugly Arlington was, he had one thing in his favor.  He wasn't Lauderdale.  Anyone, including but not limited to a chimney sweep or someone who worked in sewage, would be more attractive.  But just then she spotted her sister...with a stranger.  She also noted Fiona seeming to be trying to hide.  Cat looked around for what might have caused that reaction and saw the Royal pair.  Did she think the KING was behind her attacks?

"Ah, I have spotted my wayward duckling," she said.  "I do beg your pardon but I must claim my sister before she avoids me again.  No one wants to listen to their elders these days," she said to Arlington, dipping into a quick curtesy before moving off to fetch Fiona from a further fiasco.  Her aim was the strange man acting as a wall between Fiona and the King or Queen.

Catriona

The Earl of Arlington smiled and uttered "I understand." He gave a modest bow as the Scot took her leave.  He could not help observing how protective Catriona was of her sister.  His eyes followed her movement to observe the sister from afar.

Davina

The Earl of Bristol was indeed seeking her out.  The older man seemed to enjoy taking his time reaching her, greeting various courtiers as he passed.  One would think he knew everyone present.

"Miss Wellsley," he greeted as he closed the distanced.  "You look as if you are ready to leave the festivities.  Do you mind if I accompany you ... unless you are planning a private rendezvous of course."  There was hint of a sparkle in his eye.

Sophia and Sarah With Sarah Departing

There was no further reply to Lord Toledo for after all what more could be said?

They both made their reverences with Sarah close enough to help is any was needed. Thankfully that was not so. 

Sarah had already had the feeling that this was what the other wanted after being idle for some time.

"Well then there is nothing I can do but to send you onwards."

"I am still concerned naturally but I shall respect your own knowledge. Just please seek help if you need it."

"We shall no doubt see each other again. And will you send word if you have this child earlier than you think - it will ease my mind."

She smiled and if they had been closer would have given a hug and a whispered word of encouragement.

Instead she gave a curtsey and then went on her own way. She would, if possible, keep an eye on Lady Toledo for just in case.

Mountjoy, Lady Lucas, Mistress Eleanor, and Lord Grey

Cordelia responded nicely to his greeting but chose not to expand on it no doubt allowing for Lord Grey to set the tone which he did most handsomely. Henry was a Grey after all and as such could be expected to do nothing less.

At the formal introduction he bowed to Eleanor and said somewhat sprightly “Enchantee’ Mademoiselle, it is like we already know one another.” Making fun of the somewhat absurd situation they were all in. And so the charade would not have to be repeated he added “And although I do not believe Lord Grey and I have had the pleasure of a formal introduction we have met so may I propose that we consider ourselves the most amiable of acquaintances.” He nodded his head to Henry.

“Tell me My Lord, am I correct in hearing that your seat has burnt? They do tend to do that every few hundred years or so but nonetheless it is damned inconvenient. I hope there is enough left to rebuild. Derbyshire is it not?” Then turning to the Ladies. “Beautiful country Derbyshire is. Lots of deer.” Before turning back to Henry and adding “Do you keep Red Deer or just Roe and Fallow?” Being a Grey, he naturally assumed Henry would have a deer park and hunt.

The Merry Gang, James and Anne

"Well that is settled," Rochester announced in a satisfied tone.  Anne had returned and the King had looked their direction.

"Look how happy the royal couple looks," Sedley noted, genuinely happy that the birth of a male Protestant heir portended peace and fortune for the realm.

Rochester was not convinced.  "He shall be needing our entertainment as usual.  I wonder if we serve him best by vexing him or by coddling him?"  Johnny naturally preferred to vex.  It had led to his exile from court on more than one occasion.

"Johnny, I recommend that you do nothing to get us sent to the Tower for at least one week." Dorset demanded in jest.  "Is that too much to ask?"

"The downfall of Pembroke is not enough.  If this place becomes too giddy, it will fall to this company to add the proper balance methinks," Rochester replied, already pondering what pranks would be most welcome.

Cordelia smiled as Lord Mountjoy made to display his skills as an Orator and after an "Indeed." to his saying she moved closer to the younger woman.

"You must not mind Lord Mountjoy. He takes much pleasure in his Knowledge of many things."

She allowed her eyes to observe noting that Mistress Eleanor seemed to favor painting her face rather a bit too much. But that was hardly a fault after all.

"Lord Grey has spoken of you to me and how your parents have sent you to London - alone. To travel on the open roads is to invite all sorts of trouble and you are indeed fortunate that nothing happened other than a broken axel. And now you are here at Windsor what shall you do?"

This conversation was in no way of interfering with the two Gentlemen and she could maneuver it back if needed.

Rupert with Kingston

"Yes, let us cast our net widely," he replied to the notion of recruiting Basildon and others.  Their conversation was interrupted by the royal couple.  There was the smallish bow before replying.

"It is through your leave that I am in a position to grant hospitality cousin," he replied to the King.  "On such a grand day for the realm and our family, I could not imagine anything less than it being perfect for the occasion."

He noticed that Kingston was slipping away.  It was what was expected in such circumstances.  The three royals moved closer together to form a united trio to face the crowd of onlookers.

The King, The Queen, A Prince, and a Kingston Leaving

"True, true," the King said, with a hearty chuckle. "Most happy are we to grant it too."

"You are very good, Uncle. We shall all dine together, Saturday, I should think. With the Duke of York, of course. Perhaps with Dorothea and her brother?" she said, looking up at the King,

His Majesty smiled agreeably and nodded, perfectly content to let her make dinner arrangements so long as he could make his own additions. After all, if she was inviting her closest friend and brother, then it was only right if he made a few of his own. Elsewise, it was like to be the most boring table ever. 

Since neither of them could bring their own spouses or pseudo-spouses, the King said, "Ru, you should ask Butterfly* to accompany you." She was, after all, a royal duchess from marrying their cousin, and it would annoy Buckingham to no end, which was one of Charles' favourite pass-times. 

Noting Kingston backed up to make way for them and could not formally escape the royal presence - was he admiring his pearly buttons - the King waved a finger in his view. "Kingston, tell the Duke of Buckingham he is required." 

(OOC - Nickname of Buckingham's sister, she and Rupert are super close, like platonic love, for almost 50 years. Her secret husband is also beneath her so can't come.)

Francis runs away, er, leaves & joins Bucky's group

"Yes, Your Majesty," he replied to his royal master's request to tell Buckingham he was needed by the trio.

Francis bowed prettily and left, curbing his desired haste to grace instead, and made a line for the Duke, who was fortuitously with Basildon & Nicci.

There are far too many bows in this life and far too many eyes watching me.

Knowing he had the eyes of gossip hounds and enemies alike, he made sure to give his uncle a pretty bow too on his approach to the group. 

"Your Grace, His Majesty requires your presence." 

Once the Duke made his departure, for one could not delay for the King, Francis turned to the other two and dipped his head in greeting. "You are looking very well, Mademoiselle," he complimented Nicci and would kiss her hand if offered.

"How was your trip to Windsor, Lord Basildon." He paused long enough to hear the response before he said, "His Highness and I were just speaking of you."

Buckingham leaves, Lady Worcester Approaches Nicci & steals her away

"Ah, duty calls," Buckingham said, giving Kingston a nod, putting his hand on the cub's shoulder briefly, while also looking to see what Francis might tell him of the reason by the look in his eyes. At least, it seemed, it was nothing bad. 

Of course, the Duke would relish to be seen as first in the company of the King and Queen, other than Prince Rupert.

He smiled at Nicci and Basildon as he made his exit.

As Buckingham left, Lady Worcester saw her opportunity and came to the side of Nicolette. 

"Good evening, my lords," she said. "May I steal your beauty from you?" she added, smiling at Nicci. "There is something I wish to discuss."

“An honour to consider myself an amiable acquaintance of the famous, and rightly so, Solicitor General of His Majesty,” Henry said good-naturedly and with a slight nod. The Baron knew that his social circle would expand, and he was now awed by only a few, but Lord Mountjoy was one of the big personages at court. Marquis. Solicitor General. Master of the Queen’s Horse. Few men attained such lofty heights.

As for Codnor’s residence, “yes, the timbers and paneling of the first floor all had to be replaced. Good, flexible elm for the timbers, and stout, English oak for the panels. Heirlooms are mostly safe, with some a bit smokey, but that is all. The castle dates from the thirteenth century, but the residence was renovated last in 1496. As you say, serious maintenance or renovation needs to happen every century or so”. The property had been in Grey hands since the late Twelfth Century, and it had been expanded, repaired, redesigned, etc. many a time. “Derbyshire, yes. A beautiful spot near the Erewash, a tributary of the Trent. And if you are partial to pigeon or carp, there is a dovecote right beside a pond, not too far from the castle, and an able cook who does wonders with them”.

Henry did not hunt himself, although his father and brother had hosted many a successful hunt in the park surrounding Codnor Castle, and he was following their example. “Our red deer increase in numbers every year, Lord Mountjoy. I have seen quite a few 12-point harts even recently. I have no ability in the hunt…” that was an understatement, “but I enjoy hosting hunters. You would be more than welcome to Codnor. No need to announce yourself in advance. When you arrive, just state I invited you to hunt. Servants will know what to do if I am not there”.

A genuine offer. Lord Grey knew herds needed to be culled if he wanted them healthy, and he did not have the ability to do it. So, he invited local gentry and nobility from other places to do it for him. Everybody had been pleased so far.

Lord Mountjoy, Lady Lucas, Mistress Eleanor, and Lord Grey

Eleanor dimpled at Lord Mountjoy over her fan as introductions were made and he declared that it was like they already knew each other; he had such a way of making people feel at ease. And if he and Lord Grey agreed to consider each other amiable acquaintances, which they did, he had to be the most appropriate of company. She was glad that she had fallen on her feet, despite the circumstances. 

As the men fell to talking about lands and hunting - she hadn't known that Lord Grey's seat had burned, she'd have to ask later -  Lady Lucas stepped closer to Eleanor and the young woman was put in the position of making a difficult decision, albeit one to which she was accustomed. Gathered in a circle, she could not keep everyone on her left side; someone had to be near her deaf right ear. Not Lady Lucas, who clearly wished to converse with her, and not Lord Grey who was her stand-in guardian, which regrettably left Lord Mountjoy. Hopefully she would miss nothing important, for she enjoyed his stories and appreciated his kindness. 

Still, Eleanor smiled as leaned closer and told her that Lord Mountjoy was known for his love of knowledge on subject and she shouldn't mind him, implying that he was want to tell his stories if there was a listening here. "Oh I don't mind at all." She assured the older woman. "He has such a way with words, one cannot help but be delighted by his tales." Eleanor confided in turn. She mused that the ideal arrangement would be to sit somewhere and sew, whilst listening to Lord Mountjoy for Entertainment. But no doubt the Solicitor General had better things to do than entertain young ladies all the time. Solicitor General as well! She still could not believe her good fortune, and wished she might pinch herself, in case this was all a dream and she should wake up back at the in where they had overnighted. 

Lady Lucas seemed concerned for her, speaking of potential trouble on the roads and asking after her plans. She was so sweet. "Oh, I am not alone. Mary is with me." She indicated her chaperone who was standing silently nearby, a matronly lady dressed as one might expect for a favoured servant. "And there were hired guards on the coach." Of course they were now gone. She didn't know what, exactly, her mother had written to Lord Grey, but she assumed that some arrangements would be made for her care. "It is kind of you to worry for me." She added, feeling the care of this motherly lady. She must be someone whom Eleanor could trust, especially if Lord Grey had already spoken to her about Eleanor. 

And now you are here at Windsor, what shall you do? It was a very good question. "Well, my first task was to meet with Lord Grey." Which she'd now done. "I'm certain that he and I shall discuss how we shall proceed." She added carefully, biding a little time as she tried to think how to put her, and her parents', intentions into an acceptable frame. "I am to make appropriate new acquaintances, which happily I have already begun to do." She nodded politely to Lady Lucas herself, then indicated Lord Mountjoy discretely with her fan. "Particularly eligible gentlemen," She added quietly, " and I shall write of all I meet to my parents. They also wish to know of any eligible young ladies; my brother John, who will be Viscount Bayning after father, is eleven." And therefor more than old enough to be betrothed. Some people were even betrothed at birth. 

At the moment, that pretty much summed things up. Keep her nose clean, make friends and see what her prospects were. No doubt her parents would consider those of whom she wrote, and likely make some sort of decision over whom to approach during the next recess. It all seemed simple and sensible enough to Eleanor, though the intensity with which Lady Lucas regarded her did make her worry just a little. Her ever-present fan moved a bit faster. "Is there anything else that you would recommend I do, Lady Lucas?" She asked, since once should always value and defer to the knowledge of one's elders. 

Basildon and Kingston

Before Buckingham took his leave, he asked about the visit with Saint-Aignan.  There could be only one purpose in it ... to prove that Buckingham had spies watching him.  "It was enlightening and fruitful," he replied in a pleasant tone. It had not been enlightening enough for Basildon's liking, but he gained the valuable acquaintance of Cait Tilly as a result.

In a whirl, the Duke took his leave and Nicci was whisked away, leaving him in the company of Buckingham's Scottish cousin, Francis Kirke.  "The trip was without incident," he replied.  "Congratulations by the way on your elevation to earl.  Now you will get a chance to stand in Lords against the Country Party, or what is left of it."  Louis believed that a male Protestant heir would lead to the collapse of the Country Party in the euphoria of having an heir to the throne and a weakening of the Catholic menace, which was York.

"Cumberland?  A great man," Louis noted.  "If you were slandering me, I assume you would not have raised the topic," he jested, "so I am left to assume that you were saying kind things?" 

"Any interesting travels during the recess or were you with the King the entire time?" he inquired.  While one could envy the duration of such proximity, one could also hope for occasional reprieves.

Francis & Basildon

Francis flushed some at the congratulations. With the broadsheets, he now felt he could never be sure which were genuine and which were not. Lord Basildon was a tricky fellow according to Buckingham. 

"Thank you, my lord," he replied. "I have had that honor before. I have a writ of acceleration to my lady mother's viscountcy as well." 

It did not surprise him that such a man of politics had never noticed the fairly political neophyte that was Kingston in a session. Francis had only spoken once, at Cumberland's behest and invitation, before he'd even had a seat. It had been about naval advancements in ship's design.

The joke about slander might have caused laughter in another man, but Francis' particular situation made it sit in a way wholly not funny. 

His blue eyes flittered to the side for a moment before he replied, "I have had enough of slander for quite some time." He paused to run his lips together.

"I was speaking of having a yacht race on the Thames to benefit naval causes, and we were discussing who might have one. With your ships and business, we thought that you might and would wish to enter? His Highness is going to race with his yacht. I imagine His Majesty will, as will His Grace my cousin." 

As to the recess, he said, "I was still attending until after the royal prince was born. A few weeks after that, the Duke sent me north to deal with matters of his Lord Lieutenancy. I arrived back a few weeks ago and took my duties back up. It was fairly uneventful. Yourself?"

Kingston and Basildon

Kingston mentioned about slander, causing Louis to recall the steady supply of broadsheets defaming Kingston and his cousin.  One editor of his newspapers had wanted to run a story about the rumors but Louis had quashed it.  He was an ally of Buckingham.  In fact, he could use his newspapers to help Kingston if it might be well-regarded.  "Ah yes, I understand.  Pamphleteers are without scruples, and facts."  Left unsaid was that he used pamphlets to his own advantage.

"The West Indies Company has ships but I fear I own none.  A yacht sounds delightful but I have not explored the logistics.  Perhaps I can join in on your cousin's yacht somehow.  I fear I am no seaman but perhaps I can be of assistance.  As I recall, you are a captain are you not?  Perhaps I can climb aboard an opponent's yacht to slow it down," he laughed.

As for his own travels during the recess, Basildon noted "I visited Versailles.  I am told it is quite similar to the north of England.  Am I wrong?" he asked sarcastically.  All southern lords made sport of the rustic north.

Cordelia and Eleanor

Cordelia spared as glance towards this servant and noted that she was an older woman which eased her mind somewhat. 

She had not intended to interfere anymore with Lord Grey's relation but she found herself growing concerned as she listened to what Eleanor intended to do.

"Well you must first temper your  .... enthusiasm ...... and learn to be more cautious. You must not be so ready to disclose anything to others. You are now under Lord Grey's protection. And to any that make inquiries as to "Family" you must say that you are his relation. You obviously cannot stay with him - either here at Windsor or once returned to London.  He is without a wife or other female person of Rank so it is unacceptable."

"Did you Father not make such arrangement before you left? And has your Mother no friends that she may depend on to act as Sponsor for you? How long absent from Court are they?"

She found it most strange that a set of parents would willingly set a daughter on a journey to London without proper arrangements afore hand.

"It is admirable that you wish to wed but you do understand that you simply cannot go up to any random Gentleman and expect to make acquaintances?"

"Do you?"

"You must have a proper introduction after all. This ....." She waved a hand to indicate the room in general. "Is a Court function and you have timed your arrival to it. The fact that you have met Lord Mountjoy - who was gracious enough to keep you company until Lord Grey arrived speaks for that Gentleman. - not all are like him."

She noted the movement of the fan and so schooled herself.

"Do not be worried. I have perhaps over-spoken where I should not. It was not my intention to sound like another parent."

"Yet I can not in good faith let you make a path that could well lead to ruin."

Davina and Bristol

"What better direction than that towards the gardens?" he replied to her query.  He paused expecting her to agree to walk towards that goal.

As they began to walk together, George Digby, now entering his late sixties, was leaning somewhat on his cane as they walked.  "I am pleased with the happiness in the hearts of those assembled here," he mentioned as they distanced themselves from the crowd.

Once further away he added a more direct reply to Davina's question.  "I was merely alluding that you might have a better meeting than with an old man like myself, like perhaps with a young man?"  He chuckled at the thought.  Many older men liked to tease younger ladies about phantom secret assignations with young male admirers.  It was nothing more than that.  "One as pretty as you would have many admirers," he prattled as they continued their walk.

"You know that the Northern Secretary has asked me to look after you this season.  As a known Catholic myself, I am less likely to scare away Catholic traitors and spies.  I will serve as your intermediary with him as we cannot have you seen meeting with him.  The jig would be up, I fear.  As such, we need to find a way to communicate with each other."  he was about to suggest something but paused to hear what Davina might say.

Charles and Henrietta

Henrietta sighed. “I’m afraid I don’t have much wisdom myself. Perhaps Minerva and I can learn together.” She laughed again when Lord Chatham revealed that his siblings had wanted to name his puppy ‘Charlemagne.’ “Like their big brother, they have a sense of humor. Or perhaps they meant it as a compliment. You brought them a puppy so they thought you were great.” She wondered if he had looked at it that way before.

She was as pleased as he was that the King had noticed him. The monarch’s favor would do much to satisfy her father so that he would allow them to marry. “Maybe that is what will set you apart from all the sycophants who constantly surround him. Ask nothing of him and be willing to comply if he asks something of you. I think most gentleman have a secret desire to be King, but in truth, I do not think that the position is enviable. He is in charge of an entire kingdom and its people. That is a huge burden for one man to carry.”

John and Fiona

“The King sees everything,” Fiona whispered from behind John’s back. “I won’t be safe until he turns away from me.” She thought that his gesture of protection was sweet and she supposed that she needed all the security she could get, but not against the King. Her stalker was still out there somewhere and could strike at any moment.

The royal couple moved on and she stepped back beside Lord Silverbridge. “Last year, the King was determined to marry me off. I don’t know if it was his idea or my sister’s. She’s his mistress and they have a child together. During a ball, he publicly asked if any gentleman wanted to court me. It was really humiliating. I felt like a cow on the auction block. Luckily, nobody suitable for me stepped forward. Since then, I’ve been trying to avoid him. If he sees me, he might try again.”

Fiona laughed. “I’m probably the only person here who does not want to be noticed by the King.”