JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Opening Reception

Prince Rupert

The Merry Gang Plus Two

"Then let all see," Rochester announced.  "The brute get his due." He smiled whimsically at James and Anne.  "But to best me, T'will take more than you two."  

"A grand game is on," Sedley declared in an amused tone.  "Until the brute is gone," Dorset closed.  It seemed that the trio was enjoying a game of rhyme.

"Shall we meet Monday night for a bout of conspicuous consumption?" Rochester asked.

"Where might we conquer?" Sedley replied.

"The baths perhaps?" Rochester replied readily.

"And see you drown from your drunkeness Johnny?" Dorset replied.  He seemed to ignore Anne's reference to the need to be a male.  All in good time.

It was then that Anne excused herself.  "Perhaps she got a better offer," Rochester attempted.  "From Pembroke perhaps." he laughed.  

It was clear that the King would be arriving soon but none of them seemed daunted by it.  Sedley suppressed a yawn.

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eleanor and Mountjoy

There were a few moments left to be had before the arrival of the Royals so Charles indulged himself in the pleasant memory recollected by the associations of his wife. “I indeed do have a connection with the Electorate for Lady Mountjoy is also Ursula of Saxony, sister to the Elector. The Elector and I share a fascination of porcelain and he is so good to allow me access to commission from his Meissen workshop. Their craftsmanship and techniques are superb. I am in no doubt that given time they will be sought after by all the courts of Europe and connoisseurs everywhere. When back in London, if you and Lord Grey are amenable, you are welcome to call to view my collection.”

“I can also tell you a story combining my newness at court, The Margravina and His Majesty’s penchant for his courtiers. My first season at court, when I looked out as you do, with fascination and wonder at the wonderous sights I was also in search of a spouse, as many who come to court are. I was immediately struck by the nobility and bearing of The Margravina and was desirous of pressing my suit. A bold prospect for she was a German Princess and I, at that time, was but a fresh-faced Viscount without any position. I do not recall how but the King heard of my desire and must have been in a mischievous mood for here at Windsor on Christmas Eve declared to me that if I had the bravado to ask for her hand then and there, in front of the entire court, he would sanction the marriage and would have the Archbishop perform the ceremony at midnight that very same night. How the wedding could take place without the proper banns I could not tell you but I assume that having the King’s and the Archbishop’s approval had something to do with it. I took up His Majesty’s challenge, walked up to the Lady, dropped to one knee and proposed. She said yes and at the stroke of midnight Christmas eve… or would it be Charismas Day… we were wed and I must say that I was the one at court to receive the greatest gift. It was the happiest impulse act I have ever engaged in. I could in all honesty recommend such impetuosity but in our case it worked out as we are well suited to each other.”

“How is that for a romantic tale? I tell you this as Christmas is just around the corner and you might be in need of a Husband.” He said smiling at the recollection and teasing his companion. He was not a frivolous man and had always looked upon marriage as an alliance of families, a business contract not to be encumbered by emotion and would have scoffed if someone would have suggested he would do such a thing but such a thing he had done. Perhaps the King had seen something they had not or perhaps the King was simply being the Merry Monarch. He enjoyed telling that story for he felt it reflected well on the Margravina but he normally did not divulge so much to a person, however charming, he had just met. Perhaps he felt empathy for her situation, perhaps her demeanor of aristocratic vulnerability reminded him of Ursula or perhaps it was the attention of a young woman that stoked his pride.

The issue was then settled unless Lord Grey was to come and prevent it for it was now Mountjoy’s obligation. The fact that Eleanor displayed that she was well brought up enough to realize that the situation was not typical and politely offered Charles a way to unentangle himself reassured him that she was suitable and besides his sense of chivalry would not allow him to treat a Lady so. “It would be my pleasure. And do not you worry about being a hinderance.” He said kindly. “As Master of Horse I have no specific indoor duties. It is more of a matter that I would wish to join my Ladywife for I have had but the briefest moment in her company before she was away to attend the Queen.” Then he thought for a moment. “I may have been a bit confusing when I referred to her as ‘The Margravina.’  Although she is a Margravine in her own right and a Marchioness by marriage I use the archaic Margravina as a term of affection not as a title. Confusing I know but if I were to search for logic, I should not look for it among the English upper class.”

They were free to converse until the Royal party entered.   

Buckingham, Nicci, and Louis

"Yes, it is important royal traditions be upheld, especially to a prince, and he is a staunch believer in such things in the old Cavalier way," Buckingham replied. "Right after the Republican experiment ended, it was of even more paramount important to establish His Majesty's reign." He chuckled, "I prefer to dedicate my pen to other enterprises."

He nodded as she said she hoped they didn't inspire such penmanship. "I've had enough with penmanship of critique lately; woe be to the next person to take up the quill against myself or my family." Woe be to the person who was currently doing it too; if he ever found out who it was behind the defamation of Francis, for he was fierce in regards to his family name and position.

When Basildon joined them and explained his visit to France, which Buckingham already knew about, he smiled, "And how did you find the Saint-Aignans?" He turned his head in an obvious manner to observe the color of Louis' ribbon. "Well that explains the penchant of Chevreuse for purple ribbons; he has been a great supporter of fostering the relationship between His Majesty and Le Roi, especially in the face of these Dutch conspirators and assassins."

He wondered when Basildon would rid himself of his Dutch attachment in that girl. 

They had yet to ascertain whether the Dutch plots went right to the top and if His Majesty's dear nephew was involved and had knowledge. Or not. Until then, there was little trust for things Dutch in the closer royal circle. He had warned the earl about that.

"Perhaps we should make it so?" Buckingham said of the hair ribbons. He was yet a leader of fashion. The sentiment of the moment did favor the French, and even the Mob seemed to skew toward English pride rather than their typical allegiances leaning to foreign Protestants in policy. "And, of course, make our own additions."

As to the list of most likelies, Buckingham too looked to Nicolette, "Ladies first."

Douglas and Bridget

"I hae been tae Windsor afore."* He confirmed simply when Bridget observed that he seemed to know a lot about the features of the Great Park. He'd been to some parts himself, and listened to others talk. It was a wilder place than the closer castle environs, but still an acceptable place for courtiers to take a trip to. Hopefully it would provide the right combination of safety and sense of adventure for the girls. 

Lady Lucas had previously advised Douglas that it was better to be aloof with young women, and thus more intriguing. He just wasn't very good at it. The big Scotsman was by nature an energetic and enthusiastic individual, once he felt comfortable in company, and having been welcomed by her he wanted to help solve all of Bridget's problems, and thought that helping her make a few powerful friends might do just that. But as she shied the second time from approaching others and expressed a preference that they approach her, he realised that he was making her uncomfortable. "Acourse lassie. I ainly thocht tae help others see whit fine company ye are."** He said mildly, mentally kicking himself. Bridget hadn't yet had the time to become more accustomed to rejection as he had; she might have stepped outside the box but she was still learning to think outside the box. Or perhaps he could learn something from her. She was right though, if he had friends who were favourably disposed to her, he could always bring them to her. 

"Thair er folk I shuid greet." He agreed, a little reluctantly. "I jus' didnae want tae leave ye on yer ain." No young lady should be left without company. It was a shame that her sister and cousin hadn't come with her. But before he could say more there was the sound of multiple people approaching the entrance and, judging by the reactions of those nearby, it was likely to be the Royal party. "I think the King an' Quin er comin'."*** He whispered, decided to stay at Bridget's side until the formalities were over. 

Subtitles
* "I have been to Windsor before."
** "Of course lady. I only thought to help others see what fine company you are."
*** "There are people I should greet. I just didn't want to leave you on your own. I think the King and Queen are coming."

Cat and Fiona separated and Fiona joining John

Fiona couldn’t hide her smirk when she heard that the royals were about to arrive. Saved by the King. He might have unknowingly rescued her from going home, but that didn’t mean she wanted him to see her. The monarch had tried to publicly (and humiliatingly) find suitors for her last year at a ball with no success. She had hoped that he had forgotten about her. Seeing her with Cat would certainly jog his memory and he might decide to try again.

A couple of enterprising courtiers, obviously hoping to be noticed by their monarch, pushed between the sisters as they headed toward the door. This gave Fiona the perfect opportunity to escape back into the room. Now where would be the best place to hide? Spying the gentleman she had met during one of the Easter services, she decided that she would not be seen by the wall, and walked up to him.

“Remember me?” she asked cheekily.

Eleanor and Mountjoy Continued

They were free to converse until the Royal party entered so he took the opportunity to ask her a few questions of his own. “Aside from embroidery, which is obvious that you devote time to, what do you find diverting? There are many functions such as this but life at court also offers the opportunity for more individual pursuits. No doubt you will be able to accumulate acquaintances that share your interests.

[OOC. When I cut and pasted my previous post I left out this blurb.]     

Cordelia and Lord Grey Returned

“You have discovered a failure of mine, Lady Lucas. When I am absorbed in my research, I do not notice the passage of time. Hunger pains are what usually bring me back to reality”. He had gone without sleep for two or three days at a time, more than once, while focused on his studies. “So yes, I do need to get out more. Lately I have taken the example of His Majesty and started morning constitutionals. They have done wonders for my health and my clarity of thought. I know it is not the same as going out with the specific purpose to see and being seen, but it is a start, I think. Perhaps you would like to join me in a leisurely drive through the Great Park? I have an open carriage that I brought for such a purpose. It is yours to use if you want to travel comfortably, too. Just send a note and carriage and coachman will be at your disposal”. Henry had no problem with Cordelia using his coach. He would spend a lot of his time in research anyway.

It seemed like Lady Lucas had misunderstood the reasons for being protective of his research. He decided not to elaborate. With time, Henry was certain that she would come to understand. Now, the Royal Society was a different matter entirely. “The Royal Society of London for Improving Natural Knowledge is a fellowship of many highly enlightened scientists and patrons of the sciences. I do intend to meet as many of them as possible as I spend time at court. If I recall correctly, the First Duke of Newcastle was a member. The Earl of Devonshire is a member. Sir Isaac Newton and the Duke of Buckingham are also members, and people I highly regard. I do hope to make Lord Devonshire’s acquaintance this season if he comes to Windsor. Others I will come to meet next season, Providence willing”. Henry knew he needed to approach members so, if his research was successful and found worthy, he would one day be invited to join.

Waiting until the royal entourage arrived was, of course, acceptable. “As you wish, my lady”. Besides, young Eleanor seemed to be at ease in current company.

A question came to the Baron’s mind. “A couple of personal questions I hope you will forgive. Has your son come to Windsor? And, more important, did he heed advise to be cautious in his investments?” Not that it was Henry’s business, but Lady Lucas had asked his opinion on the matter several months before. Friends, after all, cared about friends and their families.

Cat, set adrift

The words muttered under Cat's breath as rude people shoved between her and Fiona and her sister's subsequent escape were muttered in Scots Gaelic.  So unless someone spoke either that or another version, no one would understand just what she said.  And while she luckily had above average height for her gender (plus the heels she wore), there were people who stood just as tall or taller and since she had never developed the superpower of seeing through people, she couldn't find her right off.  Damn that girl!  Thank God Shona was going to be an easy one to deal with next.

The Scot was forced to steady herself as another person knocked into her. 

Rupert and Kingston

Francis dipped his head deferentially in appreciation of the approval, blond ringlets falling forward over his shoulders.

"I confess I thought I'd need not to source up a field myself and that the competitive nature of His Majesty's courtiers would have those with yachts entering just for the chance to be seen, especially because the Thames cannot hold many. It might rather end up being a series of races with the winner of each advancing which would make an afternoon of the event."

He paused to see if that notion was sound enough to hold water.

"Might Your Highness wish to enter? The grander the field, the more likely the entrants, and you are our greatest gentleman of sea," he asked. "I think I could count on the competitive nature of His Grace, my cousin, to enter. Perhaps even His Majesty would if only to needle the Duke. Then any gentleman with a yacht would wish to enter to be seen with such a competitive and lofty group." The King was known to enjoy ships, and Buckingham had raced Francis at the end of the last Windsor season. Both enjoyed competing and gambling at such events.

Noticing the whispers moving across the room, he briefly looked toward the doors. It would seem the King and Queen were arriving, and whilst he kept his head turned toward the German prince to hear his reply, he turned his body a bit more toward the door in expectation of the imminent obeisances accompanying the royal arrival.

John with Fiona Joining

His eyes sought out Anne Elizabeth but she was no longer a part of that 'group' and this caused him to tighten himself up the better to scan the areas.

Where could she have gone   .......

He turned distracted for a moment to look down at the young woman standing before him. She asked if he remembered her and so he searched his memory until he retrieved it.

"Ah. The Angel sent from Above. Easter. How could I forget?"

He smiled at her but inwardly he sighed. He was really in no mood to trade quips. But he could hardly be un -gentlemanly.

"You have kept well I see."

He was a man after all and appreciative of a female form so he did his usual quick once over. She really was a lovely creature.

"You are alone  - again. I wonder if that is a good or bad thing?"

Mountjoy and Eleanor

Lord Mountjoy was married to the sister of the Elector of Saxony! The picture started to come together, given his earlier references. He knew the Elector personally and had direct access to the Meissen workshop. How thoroughly wonderful. "I could tell you had an appreciation of fine craftmanship." Eleanor dimpled, quite enthralled by his description of the new but growing style. "I have not have the pleasure of seeing Meissen workmanship personally; I would be delighted to view your collection when in London, thank you for offering." She would have to see whether she could interest Lord Grey in such a visit; she hoped so. She didn't really know the man, but surely he could also appreciate fine things? Plus it would be an opportunity to reconvene with Lord Mountjoy, who was such terribly pleasant company. 

Their conversation seemed to have encouraged Lord Mountjoy into an ebullient and talkative mood, but then Eleanor had been schooled that a lady's place was to make polite conversation and listened with interest to what the men around her would speak of, rather than spouting great deliveries herself. It was quite interesting what a man might divulge to a willing and appreciative ear, even if she could only offer one. But her appreciation of his personal tale of his own introduction to court was no act, why she was positively enthralled, blue eyes wide and focused as her fan waved gently back and forth. Why it sounded like a fairy tale! No sensible young lady believed that love, if it truly existed beyond mere infatuation, had any place in a modern marriage, but she might hope for a good husband with whom a mutual affection could grow over time. Her companion clearly regarded his wife highly, and the way he spoke of her suggested that they did indeed share such an affection. "Why, I do believe that you have lived a fairy tale!" She declared. "How utterly charming." He certainly hadn't struck her as an impetuous man, and she wouldn't indulge in such impetuousness herself, but she squirrelled that little piece of information about the King and Christmas away for future consideration, in case it might become relevant to herself. 

Mountjoy seemed to be thinking along the same lines, as he suggested that she might be in need of a husband. This caused Eleanor to blush deeply and lower her gaze, fanning herself a little more vigorously for a moment as she collected herself. "I fear you have me picked in my entirety, my Lord." She admitted quietly after a moment. Clearly if there was anything new at court, she wasn't it. But there was surely no shame in such? "I would not object to making the acquaintance of eligible gentlemen." She allowed, not wanting to seem overly forward, but of course that was the primary reason for her being sent to court. But it wasn't the only reason. "Or learning of eligible young girls. My brother John, who will be the next Viscount Bayning, is more than of an age to be betrothed." After all, some children were betrothed at birth. Her family was quite comfortably well off, and titled of course. Lord Mountjoy struck her as an entirely honourable gentleman, so if he happened to recommend someone, they would surely be worth looking into. 

Right now though she was just trying to find her feet, feeling rather in awe of all the goings on around her. She did hope that her companion wasn't simply being too kind when he assured her that she'd be no hindarence, but she did giggle lightly in amusement when he pointed out that the King's Master of Horse had few indoor duties. "No indoor horse ballet then?" She suggested lightly. "That will certainly save the floors." One heard stories about what went on in the continental courts. But of course he wished to meet with his wife, their respective duties taking up much of their time. She could see why his was keen however, as his explanation on the term he used for his wife proved to be one of endearment, and even he admitted to affection. Her heart swelled; surely the marriage between Lord and Lady Mountjoy was everything a courtier could hope for! It did much to assuage her nervousness on that subject. "Your regard for your wife does you credit, and is also quite touching." Would that be an unwelcome sentiment? For all that he seemed the epitome of propriety, Charles Blount had revealed a very sentimental side to her, and it was positively endearing. 

Perhaps sensing that they might have drifted a little from strict propriety - much to her appreciation - Lord Mountjoy drew the conversation back towards their respective interests, asking what she found diverting. "I too enjoy riding." She said easily, though it was more the gentle ramble in the countryside than the furious racing some seemed to enjoy. "I fear I am no hunter, but I do like to hear tales of daring hunts from those who are." Which was entirely true, but the thought occurred that she might just winkle another story out of her companion as well. What else? "I find considerable enjoyment in gardens and the appreciation of flowers and other plants." She revealed. Certainly if Mountjoy spent much time in Eleanor's company, he might begin to note a certain theme in much of her embroidery. "I enjoy being able to identify the plants that I see during my rides in the countryside." She ventured, hoping that her nascent interest in botany wouldn't seem too academic, as such wasn't generally prized in a lady. "I had hoped that there might be other ladies with similar botanical interests at court." She agreed. A common interest seemed an easy way to meet new people. 

Rupert and Kingston

As Kingston further explained his idea, Cumberland began to have a clearer picture of the event.  "I have a yacht, as does Buckingham, York, the King.  You have one too.  Shall it be the five of us then?  Who else might have a yacht on the Thames?"  He assumed many could access small sailing ships, but not yachts.

As there was noise of royal approach, Rupert pivoted his stance in that direction.  Yet, he maintained eye contact with the Earl while they waited.

Darlene and Elizabeth

“Or Ireland instead?  You don’t hear of the Irish being sad, while they have a fanciful collection of folklore. Immersion within such an environment might even add some levity to your sisters demeanour. Was Frances always so serious even as a child?”

Thoughtful fingers pressed to her lips at the Duchesses next suggestion, and giving pause Darlene found some appeal to the idea.  “He does deserve to be wounded by our neglect of him, I have a horrible feeling that otherwise he wouldn’t even notice anything different at all.” Charles could be very oblivious to women’s signals after all.   “Do you think we might even drive past his estate?”

Not that she even wanted to see his estate anyhow, in fact even saying that reminded her of how horribly sad she was.   Forcing a smile she blustered, “No I would not want to do that.”

What was worst was that Charles would still be carrying on without her, not looking back.

“Yes you are right, we shall corner her later.” She agreed out of sympathy for Elizabeth’s viewpoint on men, “but I should love to meet your Mother properly along with your sister. I would personally pledge her my vote. Oh unless that has already happened”

As they spoke there were the clues (blatant to seasoned courtiers)  that His and Her Royal Hignesses were imminant to arrive, so that Darlene angled herself ready to dip a curtsy. With eyes holding interest for the Look of the King.  "I should think he looks quite different now." she whispered behind fan. 

Charles and Henrietta

Henrietta was pleased when Lord Chatham laughed again. She didn’t think she had said anything funny. Or had she made a jest without realizing it? All that mattered was that he no longer seemed so angry and tense. Was it possible that she had a calming influence on him?

“She is a friend of yours too?” Obviously, Charles had a high opinion of Lady Lucas. Henrietta might have been jealous if the lady had no been so old. She did look intelligent, though. Maybe she also approved of young ladies exercising their minds. Perhaps she would get to meet her someday.

“Or maybe he is training them," she remarked about his puppy. "If he’s anything like my Minerva, he’s really smart. She constantly surprises me with how bright she is. It doesn’t take her long to learn new things.”

There were people murmuring around them about the imminent arrival of the royals. “It sounds as if the King and Queen are about to join us.”

Sarah and Sophia moving into Arundel’s line of vision

“If the King and Queen are coming, then I shall not remain seated,” she declared. “I can still curtsy, just not as low as before.” Sophia had never given up hope of becoming the Queen’s friend and had been practicing her curtsy in front of the full-length mirror in her bedroom. Showing such deference was hard on her knees and ankles, but she was certain that she could do it without grimacing or pitching forward onto the floor.

“Lord Toledo is off talking politics like he always does at these events.” That was part of his job, after all. “He doesn’t like me to disturb him unless it is an urgent matter.” Esteban had never said as much, but she believed that he preferred not to be interrupted when conducting the business he had been sent to England to do. “And I am perfectly fine.”

Pushing down hard on the arms of the chair, she managed to heave herself to a standing position and began waddling further into the room, assuming Sarah would follow. Sophia stopped when she was in Lord Arundel’s field of view. They had plans to meet tomorrow morning, but she still wanted him to see her and judge his reaction to her blossoming figure.

Douglas and Bridget

Bridget had been taught much the same as Douglas when it came to attracting gentlemen. Don’t be too eager. Play hard to get so that the gentleman will have to make an effort to gain your attention. Maybe she would be able to follow that advice with other courtiers, but Lord Dundarg made it difficult. She wanted to spend more time with him, so why pretend otherwise?

He meant well by wanting to introduce her to other people, and Bridget realized that the confidence she had cultivated was beginning to slip. “I appreciate it, my lord, I really do, but I would rather not drag you down with me. It is too early to tell how courtiers will react to my presence. You know how cruel people can be.”

Lord Dundarg seemed reluctant to leave her, which pleased her. “Like I said, I will be fine on my own. My sister and cousin are around here somewhere. I just wanted to make an entrance of my own.” And it had gone better than she had hoped.

People began moving toward the door and Bridget heard murmurs of the King and Queen’s arrival. Maybe this is my chance, she thought. If either of them smiles at me, then everyone will know that they do not hold me accountable for my father’s crimes. Her confidence came flowing back. “I want them to see me,” she told Douglas. “Can you get us near the front of the crowd?”

Davina and Young Stafford

"Come come," he corrected, "nothing to add indeed.  You've been a Queen's lady for the years I have been away.  You likely know every piece of gossip in the palace, real or imagined."  He gave a good natured laugh.  "Moreover, the circle around the King has changed since I have been to London last."

Speaking of the King, there was noise of his arrival.  "One must always be ready to bend the knee to one's sovereign," he replied gaily.  He turned as she plumped her skirts.

Darlene and Elizabeth

The Duchess noted that Darlene had a kinder view of the Emerald Isle.  "It could be that you bear a love for the color green?" she replied as an attempt at humor.  Frankly, Elizabeth saw Irishmen as always inebriated lay abouts, but there was no reason to utter that aloud at this point.

It was clear that Darlene was not over Langdon, given her friend's demeanor when his name came up.  The wounds of rejection ran deep.  "We need not neglect him in Cornwall.  Let us neglect him here," she advised.  "Also, let us be seen in the company of the most handsome and eligible men at court events.  Let that be seen.  I will have Cristopher enroll all of the handsome officers in the Guard to line up to dance with you at the ball.  Let him see you dance with other soldiers.  We shall torture him with your neglect."  It sounded positively diabolical and appealing to the 24 year old Duchess.

The arrival of the royal couple meant that their visit to her mother would need to wait.  She was more interested how the Queen might look as a new young mother. 

Returning from the chapel, Charles surveyed the crowd in advance of the King's arrival.  He looked about the crowd for any suspicious persons and looked to the battlements to see if there might be any potential assassins lurking there.

Not seeing anything suspicious at first perusal, he noted the presence of his commanding officer and then the presence of certain ladies and their companions.

The King & Queen Arrive

His Majesty seemed exceedingly jovial as he appeared at the reception with his Queen on his arm. Whilst the Merry Monarch would always have a penchant for the ladies, the arrival of an heir and the possibilities for more legitimate children did have him paying more attention to this wife than he ever had to the other. Bearing healthy children was a strong bargaining chip in any wife's life over her husband and royalty was little different.

Their attire was matching in a rich wine colour accented with glittering gold. His hat was adorned with a golden yellow plume falling generously above the near black of his periwig. 

With warm eyes he observed the gathering of courtiers as they abandoned their conversations and gossip to wonder at their royals. They would not yet get to have a glimpse of the royal baby, for that would be saved for the christening, but the royal couple was certainly bright and happy. 

His eyes fell on the Merry Gang, with Dorset who yet looked a bit ragged, the new little poetess that Dorset favoured, the witty Irishman, and then Chatham. It was said Chatham had a predisposition for Ormonde's daughter. The young man was intelligent for aiming high in his associations.

He chose to ignore any remnant of Danby, who would now eternally put a sour taste in his mouth. The man had gone too far, reached too far, and behaved too badly. His memory was in worse shape than Old Schoolmaster Hyde. 

His brother was already there, probably boring people with his lack of wit. 

Lord Toledo had done quite a number on his lady wife, whose bosoms now looked ready to burst. It brought a silent chuckle to his lips.

Then there was George, resplendent Bucks, dear Nicci, and also Basildon. They were assuredly conspiring something of great value. Probably some entertainment, for George always knew how to keep him well-pleased, and Basildon was smart enough to realize the currency of that in addition to political usefulness. Nicci, of course, was always a great pleasure even if their rendezvous and relationship remained concealed. 

Langdon seemed ready to pounce on any would-be attackers, his vigilant eyes clear in his demeanor. That boy, it was said, was getting himself into hordes of trouble with ladies, but youth was the time for such things. Perhaps he should add him to the list of youth to encourage to marry again.

Which brought his chocolate eyes to Ru, his stalwart cousin, and another young man who needed more than a shove toward marriage. Kingston, disparaging pamphlets and whispers or not, the boy needed a wife. He and George had spoken of it while the blond Villiers cub was away; Francis needed reminded of that duty with where the cards currently lay. 

"Shall we thank your uncle and my cousin formally for his reception and the hospitality of Windsor, my dear?" he said to his wife. It was expected and Rupert was such a stickler for observing such formalities. They had, of course, seen Ru plenty of times since arriving at Windsor, but this was for everyone else seeing them give the princely Duke of Cumberland his due attention and reverence.

Charles and Henrietta

"Lady Lucas is an acquaintance only, I fear, but what I've seen I like," Charles answered Henrietta. "We met last Christmas, when Lady Misrule paired us for the sleigh race. She was a spirited competitor, which it will not surprise you to hear I admire greatly."

He was glad to hear that she was getting on with the puppy. It had been a small risk, but the chance to gift her one of the King's own spaniels had been far too good to pass up. (Thinking about it now, it was deeply amusing to him that a night's hard drinking and a charitable whim had had such results, and might well prove to be the foundation of any success he achieved at court. Men and women had schemed for years for less profit!)

"If he is attempting to train them I wish him luck. I have had precious little success, and their tutors no more." Not mentioning their mother might seem a little suspicious he realised, and smoothly went on, hoping to surreptitiously change the subject.

"You named yours Minerva, then? A fine name. My siblings wanted to call ours 'Patch,' for he has a marking over one eye, but I won them over by pointing out that the historical Sertorius wore an eyepatch."

Catherine had in fact wanted to name the dog 'Charlemagne,' and he had spent no little time wondering if he should read into her effectively wanting to call the new family pet Charles the Great. Surely he had not imagined the glint of amusement in her eye?

A stir near the entrance drew their attention and he nodded in agreement with Henrietta.

"So it seems, Selene. Shall we move closer and make ready to pay our respects?"

They were pre-empted, though, by the Royal arrival. Charles caught the King's gaze falling on him and and swept his best bow. Even such a minor acknowledgement (and it was altogether minor, he freely admitted) gave him a feeling of warm satisfaction, and he wondered again at their monarch's charisma.

The Merry Gang Plus Two

Lady Cambray was quick to defend herself from James’ accusation that she was breaking their nascent alliance, prompting a light laugh as he feigned exasperation, making his tone said reluctant and shaking his head playfully. “I suppose that I can forgive following the muse in this instance,” went his declaration. “But once the Nemean Earl falls and the Hydra of our competition with Rochester is slain, I will consider your choice of verse to be my own Erymanthian boar – we simply must diversify your tastes.”

Anne-Elisabeth was certainly clever, and while he hadn’t had the pleasure of reading her work, they had in their first meeting discussed looking over the other’s writing. However, it sounded as though they would be competing against each other as well as Rochester, and consequently, helping hone her wit into poetic brilliance would need to wait.

The game of the season thus underway, the gentlemen began a rhyming game among themselves, discussing plans for what sounded like one of their infamous drinking sessions. The poet, for once, elected to stay silent, thinking he had pushed his luck with this set enough that it was best to let it lie – although crashing it, perhaps, wasn’t out of the question.

Instead, James looked around the hall, thinking now would be a good opportunity to find Ranelagh and Denbigh, but Lady Cambray’s brief departure distracted him from that thought. “Warned I the lords of Cambray’s defection,” he drawled after Rochester’s attempt, referencing his previous jest to the lady. “Betrayed were they by their own attention/Treach’ry made easy by a distracting…”

He smirked at Dorset, recalling in turn earlier rhymes about cocks both stiffened and limp. To drive the point home, he let his hands fall to his side in a semi-arc, palms facing outwards to make it clear that “erection” was the obvious rhyme – and then, with a dramatic air, he pronounced instead, “Perception.” Part of wit was subverting expectations, particularly when the actual joke was already clear.

Shortly thereafter, Anne-Elisabeth returned, just as it became clear that the king and queen were arriving. No time to find Ranelagh now, but t’is not the worst scenario, to be seen among His Majesty’s friends, James considered. Not when I need a manuscript to fall into his hands… Soon enough, he was proven correct – resplendent as ever, the royals entered, and the young Irishman grinned boyishly as the royal eyes turned to their group, hoping to catch them briefly as he bowed respectfully.

He’d wait on the Merry Gang before saying anything else. There’d be time enough for further impertinence when the king discovered he was good for more than mere conversation.

Edited by James O`Neill

Rupert & Kingston

Whilst it would be aggrandizing to be in a race surrounded by royals, he was not proposing the event for that purpose. 

"I will spread word of the event and hope others will enter. Does Lord Basildon have a yacht? I know he has business ventures with ships. Or perhaps a pretentious ambassador? It would give me great pleasure to fly our flag right by them." His boyish smile at the thought emphasized that youthful bit of his appearance that had few believing his true age. 

"I assume there will be much side betting, so it would be good to have someone to organize the bets so that a percentage of each win will be donated back to the Navy before the payout."

It was then that the King and Queen made their appearance. Along with the rest of the throng of courtiers in the room, he bowed deeply in that meticulous way he had not evidenced when he'd come to court. 

Cordelia and Lord Grey Returned

"And when one takes a 'constitutional' do you think that you are not seen?"

She gave him an amused glance.

"And yes you are right tis a start and so I shall not tease you. For now."

"I would much appreciate either Lord Grey. A stroll provides time for conversation as well as reflection whilst a ride shows the scenery to best advantage."

She did not have to say that walking allowed them to be side by side while in a carriage it is opposite and conversation tends to have to be elevated in tone.

She hoped he would get the meaning.

"Well you seem already well informed of those Members so I would guess that in no time firm friendships will be had."

He agreed to wait for the introductions but then asked questions of his own.

"John?" She gave a small shake of her head. "I must confess I have no idea. We are .... somewhat estranged these days. Even tho I reside in his house we seldom see each other."

"He has his own pursuits - as is only natural - and I think he finds my 'mothering' to be more interference that anything."

"I had hopes that he might marry but alas even in that I fear I am no help. But I can hardly push the issue and so I must wait for any news."

"Forgive me I do not mean to sound so pitiful Lord Grey."

"Now  .... shall we move closer in or remain here?"

Sarah and Sophia moving into Arundel’s line of vision

"Really? I would have thought as an Ambassador he would naturally be here. The arrival of Their Majesties is after all important. Unless he has others that will brief him and then make his reports."

She did not expect an answer. She still thinks that Lady Toledo must be one of the least capable wives to an Ambassador that ever was in this Court! Her excuse that her husband was 'talking politics' showed just how uninformed or uncaring she actually was of understanding how Politics was played. 

All that was not her business so she would just focus on the Lady.

"Well have a care .... I am beside you so no need to rush forward!"

She stopped as the other did and waited looking about to see what had caused it. She looked to Lady Toledo's face and then tried to follow her gaze but the room was too crowed to see anything. But there must have been a reason for it. But Sarah said nothing. Yet her eyes roamed about taking silent note of who was close enough within eyesight   ........ 

Cordelia and Henry

Lady Lucas had a point. His Majesty probably took advantage of his morning constitutionals to be seen by the crowds, but not from too close. “Touché”, was all he was able to reply. He had so much to learn about court. I better talk less and listen more. I am certainly out of my depth outside of scientific circles. Even there… even there he had sins to atone for. But that is for another day, he thought, and promptly forgot about it.

“A stroll it will be then, with the coach out of ear sight but within view, so that we can be rescued if we get tired…” or if we find ourselves in need of my bodyguard. It would be pleasant to stroll with his friend and talk… talk frankly without anyone overhearing them. The baron would have found it amusing that just like Cordelia mothered and fussed about him, so did he fathered and fussed about her. If he had thought about it, he would have probably decided that was a good definition of friendship, to be interested and caring about someone else’s wellbeing, and doing whatever you can to help them.

Lord Grey sighed. He remembered still how it was… young men thought they knew better than their parents. He had been the same. “Please give Sir John my regards whenever you see him next and tell him I would very much like to meet him over a glass of brandy whenever it is convenient for him”. His tone sweetened. “You will find that as he grows older, especially after he gets married”, or so he had been told by a very frustrated Lord Father years before, “he will come to understand the wisdom behind your words. Meanwhile, please think of me if you ever need a go between”. Henry was not the best of counselors regarding family matters, but he meant well. “And no, you do not sound pitiful. A mother’s task is only finished when her grandchildren are successfully navigating the paths of life”. Of that, Henry was certain. Grandparents had the right and the obligation to see their grandchildren be brought up well.

One good thing about being a natural philosopher was that thought patterns were different from most persons’. It had its disadvantages on occasion, but there were times when not flowing with the crowd was best. “Let us move there, Lady Lucas. Although we will not be as close as those pushing and shoving to be noticed, there is a greater chance that we will be seen…” He then led his companion to the spot he had selected, and bowed deeply, formally, even elegantly, as only supple birch could teach a young and feisty Grey. The lesson had never been forgotten.

Captain Herbert & John Ashburnham

The two tall, handsome young men were part of the retinue that followed the King. Herbert was singular for a Villiers relation in that he had nearly black hair to compliment his bright blue eyes. The other Herberts, including his brother Pembroke, had the typical blond hair and blue eyes. 

Ashburnham, a court fixture since he was a small boy and page of the backstairs, cut a gorgeous figure in extravagantly expensive brocade of green and gold that complimented his deep hazel eyes. Like Herbert, he had dark hair; in fact, they looked as if they could be brothers. 

"Have you seen Derby about yet in Windsor?" Ashburnham asked Herbert. "Or Ernle?"

The Ernle he spoke of was not Lord Fosbury, who had taken over Danby's position whilst maintaining his previous one as well, but his young and dapper sea-captain son who had been knighted along with his father's raising. Both gentleman he'd asked after were great friends of the pair. 

"I know only that Captain Ernle is now as much captain as I am," Herbert replied, with a chuckle. Though both still had their commission, both were inactive in service and tasked with a life at court. Ernle, though, had been allowed more adventurous service than Herbert ever had been, as many sons of gentry; those with a grand family name and heirs to their titles like Herbert were rarely allowed long sea travel and even in war tended to command ships that were not of the front line. Herbert had spent most of his service within sight of good old England within the channel during peace time, protecting their port. 

Bridget and Douglas

“I appreciate it, my lord, I really do, but I would rather not drag you down with me. It is too early to tell how courtiers will react to my presence. You know how cruel people can be.”

Oh yes, he knew all too well. And she made a valid point. Often somewhat oblivious in his enthusiasm, he had stepped on various people's toes over time, even as he'd also made friends and allies. Whether he rubbed them the right way or the wrong way, once they'd met him people tended to form an opinion on the Scot, and those opinions hadn't always been positive. Bridget was clearly far more accustomed to thinking in those terms, and he'd do well to heed her warning. There was no doubt that he'd benefit from a wife who was sensitive to the currents at court and could read them well, and he liked Bridget, so her point about not dragging him down with her sat uneasily with him, though he knew it to be valid. He had to remind himself that, whilst he was keen to search for a wife, again he needed to remain somewhat aloof, and not simply fixate on the first girl who smiled at him. Poor Bridget was wiser than he.

"Aye, I ken lassie." He murmured quietly. "I just wish t'were otherwise."* But neither of them could fix that. Bridget was a lovely girl, and one who might now be within his reach where before she would have been far beyond it, but one of the things in Douglas's favour was that all of the major courtly players seemed to tolerate him. He'd performed services for His Majesty, Buckingham, York and Cumberland, whilst not specifically in the service of any one save the King of course, and none of them seemed to object to him. If he made a poor political move that could quickly change, and being in the good graces of the powerful was one key to advancing his lineage. He had to keep that in mind. 

He was glad to hear that her sister and cousin were about; that meant that she wasn't without easy companions. He understood her wanting to enter on her own; sometimes he arrived with his sisters and sometimes he came separately, depending on his mood and intent. But everyone's attention was now on the impending Royals, and Bridget asked if he might be able to move them closer to the action, her voice suddenly sounding more sure and confident. She wanted to see them. Well, his uniform and size were good for something, and as the crown shifted and moved he pushed a path forward until they were close, behind only those he knew better than to try to push in front of, which also put him in a closer position to intervene, should anyone or anything seek to endanger the Royals. As a Life Guard he was always on the look out for something untoward. Hopefully Bridget would feel happier for being close.

The Royal Couple were resplendent as always, His Majesty seeming in a particularly high mood, small wonder. His gaze drifted back and forth across the crowd, bestowing a smile here and there. Douglas doffed his highly feathered hat and bowed deeply, with far more grace than his earliest efforts, as the couple drew near, and watched His Majesty's gaze move towards them... and pass straight over Bridget like she wasn't there. His heart clenched, knowing that she would feel that dismissal. And he felt it too, knowing how much it would hurt her. 

Subtitles
* "Yes, I know lady. I just wish it were different."

Rupert and Kingston

"Curiously, I do not know Basildon well.  He has professed a love for the navy and pushes its advancement in Parliament, but he seems more a man of words than action," the Prince surmised.  "A man like him should have a yacht, I should think."

The idea of gambling held great appeal for Cumberland,  "A grand idea on that.  We need someone scrupulous to handle the betting, but someone well acquainted with gambling."  His aide was strong on the former, but not necessarily the latter.  "I will enter my yacht in the race surely."

The King and Queen earned a nod of supplication from the elder stateman and relative of both royals.  "We can speak later of this," he stated softly.  Rupert knew that he would likely be swept up in the pageantry of the event.  

Sophia Tries to Catch Arundel's Eye

Sophia moved herself in position to be be seen by the Earl of Arundel.  He even looked her way briefly, but returned to an animated discussion with Bristol until the royal couple arrived, when all three turned and bowed.

Arlington Bumps into Catriona

The royal couple was arriving and the Earl of Arlington abandoned the Earl of Oxford to get a closer look.  With his eyes on the King, he did not see Catriona on a collision course,

The bump was not  too forCeful, but the man was obviously embarrassed by his error.

"A thousand pardons dear lady," he declared as he took a step back and gave her a good look,  It was apparent that he was trying to remember her name.  "Are you unhurt?"?"