JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Opening Reception

Prince Rupert

D&D  and looking for diverting company

It never ceased to amaze at how quick the emotions seemed to change in regards to Lady Oakham. Near tears and now over-joyed at the idea of herself in Davina's current Rolé. She was all smiles and acceptance.

"Well let us see what is Highness has by way of any ideas - he is after all a 'Military Man' so more than like his thoughts might be very ..... Regimental in design."

"So let us both not become too overly zealous. Best to be cautious to start that way neither of us shall be surprised if things indeed go that direction."

She followed the others hand wave and saw it was to Lady Toledo and one of the Duchess of York's attendants in conversation. 

"If HIs Highness gives me that time then I shall be happy to meet you. The East Terrance Garden mid morning then?"

"Well perhaps you might be her Savior then  ..... I am at least glad to see that she its sitting down. She is large enough to deliver tomorrow. You must make sure that she continues to SIT Lady Oakham."

"I do not think that Lord Toledo would be forgiving if something were to happen ......."

"You are wise enough to understand so she will be Safe enough."

Davina flattered but in a kind way. If Lady Oakham could indeed keep the other woman still and yet entertain so much the better.

"And as for myself, well, I have to finish up something that His Highness has asked for before the afternoon and I am not even half way done."

"Will you forgive me if I take my leave ...."

From the corner of her eye she spied Buckingham's arrival but felt sure that was one direction she need not go in.

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Merry Gang

Rochester found himself liking the Irishman, but he would not let on until there was no advantage of it to the man.  "The sonnet yes," he agreed.  He understood the reference to the epic suggested by O'Neill.  He found himself giving the lad a languid examination from shoes to eyes. "Patience," he repeated with no added context.

Anne, on the other hand, did not understand the metaphorical nature of the fucking he meant.  He sighed as he bit his tongue in response to her poetry.  He believed he had thrashed her enough for one day.

"Enough of the coarse attempts to goad me into a competition," he declared as a way to regain the initiative.  "If the pupils wish the master to compete, they must prove themselves worthy, more than gay banter at an opening reception."

"You see, each season we select some pompous ass to demean.  Last season was the buffoon Arlington.  This season it shall be Pembrooke," he announced.  Glancing between James and Anne, he explained "the Earl is your Nemean Lion.  He has golden hair and deadly claws.  No mortal weapon shall we use against him, but to defeat him in ways more important."  He inhaled dramatically to stop Dorset from what he was about to say.

"He beat our mate Charlie here, but brute force can cause but temporary damage.  The written word can cause permanent damage, and this is what we intend for this beast that plagues the court.  Our Irish friend has professed admiration of the epic, and so shall it be for the two of you."  He meant James and Anne.  "Dorset cannot play for he needs deniability, he being the obvious suspect for venomous ink. No, he needs honest deniability.  Sedley can play too, if he wishes."  He glanced briefly at the smirking playwright.

"You are to compose an epic each, publish it under a nom de guerre in a pamphlet to be distributed here at court.  Wound Pembrooke's honor and drive him to madness and I shall agree to a competition for later this season."

The Earl acted as though this challenge had been long in the planning, but the truth was that he had conjured it on the spur of the moment.  It seemed the challenge the Gang needed for this season.  A brute needed to be brought low.  Anne would be, in his opinion, keen to defend Dorset.  The Irishman, however, was drawn in only through the entanglement of webs they had each spun.  If he judged the man correctly, James would rise to the challenge.

Sarah and Sophia, who waves to Darlene and Davina

She felt a touch of irritation as Lady Toledo's attention drifted. She made no comments to her story and that was further issues for her feelings.

It would seem that this Lady was weary of their conversation .......

"Indeed it is so."

"Perhaps it was not nice of me to call attention to that unfortunate choice of colors but I am sure I am not the only one that will do so."

"You are acquainted with Lady Oakham and the Queens Maid of Honor?"

"Why not send a servant with a message if you'd like one or both to join you. No sense in moving after all."

Her suggestion was accompanied by a smile.

"I fear that I have escaped long enough - it is always a wise idea to check back in with Her Grace - and there are only two of us in attendance."

"I shall stay until one or the other or even another joins. I do not trust you to suddenly jump up and set off ...."

Her words carried a warning and she would not be rebuffed.

Rupert and Kingston

"I have yet to encounter anyone here at court that has traveled to Russia," the Prince replied.  "Their methods are not unknown to us because they have warred against the Swedes and the Poles,  Still, there may be something to learn from far away lands.  The Ottomans and the Orient even moreso."  His voice was wistful as if he might be young again and sail to faraway lands himself.

"It is not common knowledge, but Tsar Feodor is sending an ambassador here to Windsor."  His voice grew quiet in that statement, as if it were to remain confidential.  "I hope that he is a military man."

As for Cambridge, he nodded.  "We should encourage more scholars in the field of pyrotechnics.  It is the future of warfare."

Charles, Henry, and Henrietta

Henrietta grinned. “Last Christmas, if somebody had told me you were kind, I would never have believed it.” At first, she had been loath to speak about their accidental and quite distressful first meeting, but she was now comfortable teasing him about it. It was still strange how her feelings for him had transformed. She had believed him to be one of those gentlemen to be avoided at all costs, and now she looked forward to marrying him. Life was full of unusual twists and turns.

Was it her imagination or did she see Lord Chatham’s body tense when Lord Grey approached them? As they had gotten along quite well that day in the library, she assumed that whatever was upsetting him was the cause. Henrietta hoped that he would eventually confide in her. She didn’t want a husband who kept important matters to himself. Then again, they weren’t married yet, and his affairs were none of her business.

Henrietta did not offer her hand to Lord Grey. She always felt awkward when a gentleman kissed her hand. Maybe they thought she was odd because didn’t partake in that aspect of social etiquette, but so be it. Because she was a highly astute woman, she had been perceived as odd all her life and had become accustomed to it.

Lord Grey was not only fashionably attired, but she could tell that he had lost some weight as well. He also seemed more energetic than she remembered. Her smile broadened when he greeted her. He was one of the few gentlemen who was not annoyed … or perhaps ‘intimidated’ was a better word … by her quick mind and seemed to appreciate it instead. “I am pleased to see you again as well, my lord,” she replied a bit bashfully.

Henrietta simply nodded when he asked about both her family and Lord Chatham’s. “Will you be holding any astronomy events this season?” Maybe she had spoken out of place, but she was always eager to acquire more knowledge and she knew very little about the nighttime sky.

Douglas and Bridget

“Mostly game birds with a few rabbits thrown in for good measure,” Bridget laughed. “My lady cousin even brought down a pheasant in flight.” She sighed. “I hope I’ll be that good one day. In truth, all my arrows missed. But it was fun, nonetheless, and I don’t plan on giving up. I just need more practice.”

She knew that his sister was Lady Alyth, one of the King’s mistresses. Until her father had been disgraced, she would have ignored both floozies and bastards, but once others had began to snub her, Bridget had realized that even those with less than stellar reputations were deserving of respect. She was certainly glad that she had not shunned the intriguing Lord Dundarg last Christmas. “Maybe I will get the chance to meet her.” She was thinking along the same lines as Douglas, hoping that Lady Alyth might be able to help her improve her skills with a bow.

Her blue eyes glittered with enthusiasm when he offered to teach her to use a pistol. She took a step forward and whispered. “Oh, would you? I have been longing to learn but I have not breathed a word of it to anybody because so many courtiers believe that it is improper for ladies to shoot.” She grinned disarmingly. “I am glad you are not one of them, my lord.”

Bridget grinned. “You could never bore me either. And I would be delighted to dance with you at the next ball. My first dance is yours. Or my last, if you prefer.” The last dance, she had been told, was usually considered to be the most meaningful.

Lord Dundarg leaned closer to examine the necklace. The heat of his body seemed to permeate hers, causing delightful sensations to shimmer through her. Her heart fluttered in her chest and she breathed a bit faster, causing her bosom to heave enticingly. “Thank you, my lord,” she replied. “I was lucky to find it. There is no telling how long it was lying abandoned in the dirt. It seems strange that somebody would have left it behind.”

Bridget was thrilled when he offered to accompany her on her next treasure hunt. “I gladly accept. My cousin and sister wish to accompany me on my next expedition. We were thinking of going in the next day or two, but we can postpone it if you have duties to attend to then.”

Charles, Henry, and Henrietta

Charles knew that he was not at his best. That little flicker of temper, quickly supressed at it had been, had still surprised him with its strength and suddenness. He had prided himself for years that his temper, if not controlled, was at least channelled and directed, a thing he used rather than a thing he was used by. To come so close to being mastered by it publicly was... discomfiting. A sign — as though further sign was needed! — that he was scraped raw and vulnerable by his mounting frustration.

Amusing, really, how Mary's death, which not terribly long ago he had thought a solution to all his problems, should instead leave him weaker and more fruitlessly entangled than ever.

That thought saved him, ironically, the bitter, bleak humour it brought clearing his mind and focusing him in the same way pain might have. He reached again for his customary affability, and managed a more secure grip at the second time of asking.

"No pardon needed, my lord, for there is no intrusion," Charles assured Grey, smiling. 

The baron's follow-up question was a trifle awkward, cutting to the root of all his present difficulties, but Charles had expected such inquiries and armoured himself against them.

"Oh, as well as could be expected, though I always find myself missing court before long," he said. "You have obviously thrived since last we spoke, though. Have your intellectual labours prospered equally?" The baron had spoken of mapping the moon, he remembered, and of a potential solution to the longitude problem.

Henrietta's eager interjection brought a widened smile to his face and he took a quick draft from his wine glass to hide it. There was something wonderfully earnest in her, and it lay at the heart of her appeal to him.

"Such might not be a bad idea. His Majesty and Cumberland are both men of science, and might appreciate such. It could help expand your connections, too, if you feel those lacking."

Douglas and Bridget

He listened with interest as Bridget spoke of them shooting game birds and rabbits, before admitting that the hits had been her cousin's, including the pheasant in flight. Bows were difficult things to master well, and he could appreciate her frustration, however mild. But it sounded like an enjoyable day, and as with most skills practice would improve her bowmanship. Perhaps Cat would be willing to help. "I weel intraeduce ye."* He promised. He'd be interested to see what they made of each other. There were plenty who wanted nothing to do with the MacBains and their varying reputations, and once Douglas had been sour and angry about it, but over time he'd learned that there were plenty who didn't have their noses stuck up their bums, and that they were far worthier of his time and consideration. He'd not really been aware of Bridget prior to her father's fall, but he found her pleasant and she seemed to feel the same, which was what mattered to him. 

The offer had been genuine, though he hadn't been certain how she would take it. Many people had views about women and weapons. Mind you, so did he, they were just different views. He sucked his teeth thoughtfully. "I fear ye weel find that we MacBains er a wee bit auld fashioned, whin it cams tae oor views on wumen." He admitted with a wry expression after a moment. "Acoourse, we're prood Heelin' Scots, sae in the auld days, whin a husband went sheep herdin' - er cattle raidin', er fichtin wi' the neighbourin' clan - his lairdy was expected tae nae jus' run th'homesteed, but defend it as well." The tall Life Guard explained with a wink. "I ken tis unfashionable these days tae be ocht but English," perhaps epitomised by her father who had divested his Scottish holdings onto his second son, "but thairs folks as weel disapprove o' onythin', e'en that which we cannae help," like bastardy, or the political disgrace of a father, "an' I find thair best ignored."** So if she wanted to learn to use a pistol, he would gladly teach her. 

His grin matched her own as she promised him a dance at the Ball, first offering her first dance, then his pulse quickened as she said he might have her last dance if he preferred. There was always a certain significant to the last dance, often danced between couples or those who planned to become them. The implication he supposed being that was whom you intended to go home with. He'd like to claim the last dance, but he and Bridget barely knew each other yet, and he remembered what Lady Lucas had said about being a little reserved. He just wasn't very good at it. "Hou aboot ye choose." He suggested gallantly. "I wuid be honoured tae hae ony dance - e'en the last. Whin the Ball cams aroond, ye claim whiche'er ye desire."*** He didn't want to ask for the last dance and find she didn't want to give it by then, he'd rather she felt comfortable. He wouldn't be at all surprised to find that there were plenty of other men vying for a dance with this vivacious young woman. 

A pretty young woman too. Perhaps not as classically beautiful as his sisters, but she had lovely pale skin and a rounded bosom that was quite enticing. Certainly she'd dressed to bring out her best, and those blonde curls were quite rare. He meant it when he said that the necklace suited her. Still, he was glad to hear that she'd already considered companions. Her sister and her cousin, so another Osborne and Lady Arabella. Well, that was fine company and no mistake. He knew a few ladies who enjoyed adventure, but he wanted to facilitate Bridget's expedition, not take it over. "I haena been detailed t'ony duties yet, sae my time is yers."+ He assured her. Of course if York or Cumberland or some other high ranked courtier needed him then they would have priority, but for now he was all hers. He decided not to detail the fact that he didn't command the Third any longer, on account of their complaints at being led by a bastard. He'd been devastated at the time, but he'd since found that having a rank, a commission and the ability to take Life Guards that he trusted on special missions was a freedom that he enjoyed, and if anything was more effective with. 

He'd probably monopolised her time over much, no doubt there were other young men wanting to talk to Bridget and he should greet those he'd not seen in a while, but one other thought occurred to him, and might be relevant to their planned expedition as well. "Is Laird Osborne at coort this season?"++ He asked, meaning her brother Peregrine. He wouldn't tell Bridget, at least not yet, but he was one of the men Douglas had considered as a possible match for Fiona. 

Subtitles
* "I will introduce you."
** "I fear you will find that we MacBains are a little bit old fashioned, when it comes to our views on women. Of course, we're proud Highland Scots, so in the old days, when a husband went sheep herding - or cattle raiding, or fighting with the neighbouring clan - his lady was expected to not just run the homestead, but defend it as well. I know it's unfashionable these days to be anything but English, but there's people who will disapprove of anything, even those which we can't help, and I find they're best ignored."
*** How about you choose. I would be honoured to have any dance - even the last. When the Ball comes around, you claim whichever ye desire."
+ "I haven't been detailed to any duties yet, so my time is yours."
++ "Is Lord Osborne at court this season?"

Cordelia, Mountjoy, Two Sisters And Douglas Departing

Cordelia followed the two Gentleman as they talked horse flesh and then she too gazed out over the Assembly and then the Baron expressed his desire to take his leave.

She gave him a curtsey by way of reply watching as his tall figured moved away. 

"He really needs a wife."

She had spoken her thought aloud and realized it at once.

"Ah I do beg your pardon Lady Alyth. It is just my nature to want to see Couples."

She then turned to Mountjoy saying

"And I do hope that You will not think ill of me either My Lord. It is an older woman's prerogative to take an interest in those about her."

Said so nicely that how could any be mad at her. Honestly. 

"Will you all excuse me as well? I think I spy my son ......." A lie of course for she had no idea where HE was at all.

She gave a smile that took them all in as did her curtsey as she took her leave.

With the Hope that she had left a good first impression behind.

Beverley and Athenry

“I would be most grateful for such an opportunity,” Athenry declared with a nod, adding a polite, “At your leisure, of course.” He had known from the outset that the request Pembroke made of him would be a controversial one, neither taken or refused lightly, but Beverley’s understanding of the ins and outs of courtly life greatly surpassed his own.

As the conversation turned towards the matter of Kingston and the Queen, he paused, tilting his head slightly as he deliberated inwardly. “I do know Kingston. We do not move in the same circles,” he stated obviously, neglecting to add Save when those circles involve more…soporific pursuits. “But my cousin, Lady Gwendolyn, was involved with Buckingham for some time, and he helped me with an investment or two.” It was a pity about the present rumors surrounding the man – no libertine himself, despite Versailles having given him a taste of such a lifestyle, Cadell had nonetheless made friends among that set, and liked Kingston well enough.

“As to Her Majesty…” Another slight pause, Athenry inhaling through his nose while giving the notion some due consideration. “You have an especial talent for these things, my friend, for it never would have occurred to me to garner her support.” A soft smile formed at the corners of his lips, half-hidden behind a sip of wine. “Lady Dorothea too, you say? A well-educated woman is a fine thing, as most of the greats say.”

He would make an effort to approach Kingston forthwith, rumors or no. His voice dropped again, nearly becoming a whisper, as he added, “It would have to be a gentle approach. The, ah, events before our marriage have left Her Grace sensitive to such things.” The patronage of the Queen would be more beneficial, but then, Athenry was not currently trying to assuage Her Majesty into acting as a married woman might.

“All beneficial things,” came forth the more-cheery answer on the pleasant topic of Beverley’s impending freedom, knowing Brooke to be rather strict in his fatherly duties. “I may have said it before, my friend, but we ought visit Italy one day. A gentleman must needs visit such a cultural center at least once in their lives, I should think. But until then…” He gave a conspiratorial look. “By what means will you exercise this new freedom? Any plans?”

Charles, Cordelia, two Scots and the woolgatherer formerly known as Cat

For some reason, Cat's mind decided to start wandering.  There were lists of things she was going over and thoughts on minor alternations to clothing to do to make them new again and where the danger to Fiona was coming from and before you knew it, she had no idea what had happened during the conversation and Douglas was gone when she hear Cordelia say:

He really needs a wife.

She shook her head, finally realizing how much she had missed.  Douglas was gone, off to...a blonde?  That man and blondes.  Obviously subconsciously avoiding women who looked in the least like his sisters, she decided.  "He needs something," she muttered before her eyes grew wide.  She hadn't been so unthinking since her first days at court.  What was wrong with her?  

Then, she felt how tired she was.  Oh.  Well, that made sense.  "I do apologize.  It seems just talking about sheep leads to woolgathering," she said with a regretful smile.  She smiled as Cordelia made her departure as well before saying to Charles, "I am so sorry.  It seems I'm more tired than I thought.  All the excitement of getting to Windsor and getting the house set up seems to have drained me."  She looked at Fiona, hoping the girl wouldn't put up too much of a fight.  "Perhaps we should head back to the house and make sure the maids have everything set up as we like."  It was rude to make such a short visit but she suddenly felt weighed down.  If she was being honest, she hadn't had a good night's sleep since receiving Charles' letter.  

My apology for the delay.  The tapioca pudding that is imitating brain matter isn't able to keep up with this thread for some reason.

D&D seperate

By ‘His Highness’…” did Davina mean the King?! “do you mean…” or not surely, and hadn’t she mentioned Prince Rupert before, “oh you mean Duke Cumberland.”

While the advice ‘So let us both not become too overly zealous’, was the sort of thing people have been telling Darlene for years, words that washed right off her back.  Over enthusiasm was Darlenes  middle name, it was her quintessential nature.

“Perfect.” Darlene agreed to the place they would meet, it would be the beginning of grand new plans.  She was feeling much revived with this new direction to work within, and generously thanked Davina for the opportunity even.

“Oh dear, I am loathe to spoil my time at a party by keeping someone sitting.” Sadly she saw Sophia like a literal ball and chain at that moment, even if a lacey and pretty ball.  

While Davina seized that moment to depart, Darlene let her eyes see ‘someone’ distant, and smiled a farewell, ”God speed with your missions, and see you tomorrow my dear.” 

With that the ladies separated, Darlene moving with a directness away, though it was entirely happen chance that she greeted so very warmly the next person she came anywhere close to.

Open tag!

"Goodness there you are, I had been looking all over for you!" 

Davina and Young Stafford

A gentleman apparently in his late 20s approached Davina as she separated from Darlene.  We was a handsome looking fellow in his wine colored jacket with black and gold threaded waist coat.

"Davina," he said in a low voice as he approached.  "Do you recognize me after 12 years?" he asked with amusement.  "I think you were 8 years old," he laughed.  "It was at some dull Norfolk family gathering.  I was 17 and with my father William Howard, Viscount Stafford."  He knew she would not likely remember him.  "I am Henry Howard, not the Henry Howard of course, but Henry Stafford Howard."  He paused to see if she had any recall.

"I have to say that you fill out a gown much better than the last time I saw you."  It might have been offensive to some, but he was willing to risk it with a distant cousin.

Darlene and Elizabeth

"Goodness there you are, I had been looking all over for you!" 

"And I you," answered Elizabeth Monck, Duchess of Ablemarle.  She wore a gown of dove grey adorned with intricate ruby crust and thread.  A silver necklace with rubies protected her throat and silver hairpins held aloft layers of chestnut hair.  A ruby colored fan was her only weapon and she wielded it as a shield to block prying eyes and ears.

"You look divine Darlene.  I feared you were wasting away in the countryside."  She dared not repeat the cause of her friend's woes.  She had seen that soldier earlier in the day with her husband.  The Devil could take the both of them as far as she was concerned.  Her husband was too weak to give her a child, and too much the fool to see that he was the laughing stock of court.

"I have a mind to host a party for the two of us, and a parade of good looking gentlemen to attend to us."  This was more for Darlene's benefit as Elizabeth held little regard for men unless they were royalty or powerful.

Henry leaving Lady Henrietta and Lord Chatham, and trying to intercept Lady Cordelia Lucas

Henry’s eyes brightened at how his interruption was received. To him, the Lady and Lord in front of him were the epitome of graciousness. Having been introduced, or having introduced himself, to only a few persons at court, that those two were friendly to him meant the world… almost literally.

“I have shed some baby fat since we last met yes…” the baron said with a chuckle, “and I must confess I feel the better for it. As for my intellectual pursuits, I have made advances on the chromatic aberration of eye pieces. Final solution still eludes me, though, but I am hopeful”. It would be the first step that would unlock faster progress on his other avenues of scientific inquiry.

The Lady Henrietta advanced the idea of holding an Astronomy event of some sort, which was enthusiastically seconded by Lord Chatham. Lord Grey, as any good man of science, was both perceptive and intuitive. There is something between these two. I better leave them be soon. That way they will be glad to see me again. Still, the question made him smile happily.

“I do intend to make my telescopes available for those who would care to use them, or care to learn something about the night skies”. He would probably have to ask Reginald and the coachman to keep an eye on the instruments whenever he was not nearby. “Tonight is the New Moon. An excellent opportunity to see the stars and planets at their brightest”. From Henry’s facial expression and tone of voice it was easy to see how passionate he was about Astronomy. “I do not recall their position in the sky, but if conditions are right, we might be able to see Saturn’s rings…”

It was then that, out of the corner of his eye, Lord Grey spied Cordelia leaving the group she had been with. “I will try to get word to both of you as soon as I have my instruments properly setup. Now, please excuse my leaving, there is someone I need to talk to…” Baron Grey bowed formally left the couple alone.

He directed his steps towards Lady Lucas, hoping that she would see him, and agree to chat with him briefly.

Dwindling Scots and Mountjoy alone then approaching Beverly and Athenry.

“It would be my pleasure to do so.” Charles replied when Douglas requested an introduction to lord Beverly. “It is always opens up opportunities when gentlemen interested in breeding are acquainted. And I use the term breeding in the equine connotation.” He added looking over to the Merry Gang. “And speaking of advantage I just might take you up on the offer of having your stallion cover my Suffolks for, as you say, one would need to lighten their qualities to make a good hunter.”

As Douglas made his excuses and withdrew to mingle Charles was glad that he had joined them for now it would be an easy thing to interact during the season without the necessity of more formal protocols.

Fiona being the demure girl that she was, showed grace enough not to monopolize the conversation as younger persons so often did. Cat was obviously taking pains to see her siblings well accepted in society.

Then as he was addressed by Lady Lucas, he responded smiling. “Madam, I would judge it impossible for any gentleman to think ill of you. It is interesting to hear that your talents are also available to the gentlemen at court.”  He wondered if she could be useful in helping Heneage with his predicament. She then withdrew leaving the original gang. He bowed as she curtseyed. “Until I have the pleasure again, Madam.”

Once Lady Lucas had gone, he turned to Catriona with a bemused expression. “What an interesting Lady. Do you think her first task will be to find a wife for Lord Dun… um… that is to say Douglas if I may be so informal or a husband for Lady Fiona.”

But teasing Fiona was not to be as Catriona declared herself to be fatigued. A bit of genuine concern showed in his voice. “I do hope you have not exerted yourself unduly. Traveling can be extremely taxing and setting up one’s house is always more laborious than anticipated. Do promise me that you will not overtax yourself.” He took both her hand in his and gave them a squeeze showing that he did not take her departure amiss. Turning to Fiona he took a hand and made the motions of offering to a kiss in courtly fashion. “Mademoiselle, I have been enraptured and am desolated at the prospect of losing your company.”   

He stood there and watched the Scottish ladies leave and then took the opportunity to seek out a servant to exchange his empty wineglass for a full one and take stock of the room. He noted Killington had arrived since he last surveyed the room. It would be important to cultivate the Lord to advance his political agenda objectives but such things could wait while at Windsor.  It seemed everyone had broken down into conversational groups. Rupert and Kingston were speaking quietly together, the Merry Gang were chattering away but he had no desire to join them. He then noticed Lord Beverly speaking with a gentleman (Cadell Mortimer) with whom he had not been introduced knowing only that he was a Welsh Catholic with an Irish title who had married the Duchess of Portsmouth. The man’s dress could not in all honesty be called stylish but it was of good quality and fastidiously tailored and he was au currant enough to boast red heels. He decided to make his way over to the two gentlemen and put himself in Beverly’s line of sight close enough to politely signal that he would be amenable to an introduction.  

Cordelia and Henry

She had lied about looking for her son as he was, at that moment, the last person she wanted to find. Instead she thought to amble gently as she had upon arrival and so it was that the Gentleman she had seen earlier crossed paths.

"Why Lord Grey? Is that you? You have indeed undergone a metamorphosis and are as elegant as a butterfly."

She stood still and waited for him her eyes assessing his person finding appreciation in this appearance versus they last time she had seen him.

Darlene and Elizabeth

The Duchess was perfectly close, and Darlene was genuinely pleased to see her.

"I was near to wasting away this recess but for your intercession.” A tray with wine glasses passed near, and so she swapped out her half glass with a full one, and took up another for her friend Elizabeth Monck. 

All and all Darlene was starting to feel quite revived in spirits.

“But you had not told me you settled upon the dove grey gown, you look so very chic within it. And with the silver of course.” Elizabeth had once told Darlene of silvers protective qualities from vile spirits etc, it was a point she had very much heeded. 

“Yes we deserve a party, only we should spare ourselves the company of gentlemen. I am quite done with them don’t you recall.” Darlene sighed dramatically.  “Unless you know of one who is pure as the driven snow, who aspires to monogamy and is wealthy. Titled to boot!  But please don’t remind me that I had all of such in the person of my late husband.”

It was an irony perhaps that she only now appreciated what she’d had in Thomas.

“No, let us instead renew our plans for your – ah – special evening.” Her eyes flared with interest, while she looked about to check nobody was listening in on them.  Droping voice to a hush she then asked, “And… does your ruby have some meaning too?” she referred to the jewel the Duchess wore, “for I know you are very learnt on such things.”

Buckingham & Nicci

While Nicci hardly felt a need for the party when she was contentedly flirting with the Duke. So it was that they unanimously arrived late. This had in part been from a jest she’d played, of appearing in a scaled down replica of the Dukes own costume (though minus the sapphires and diamonds).  “Mercy me, but this might appear to be a statement!”  she had laughed then quizzed, “but what do you think I am saying?”

It had not taken too long to repair herself, removing the jacket revealing short sleeves and long gloves, and then wrapping about full skirts in the palest blue.  She kept her britches on underneath, by doing so she felt dynamic as she walked.  Though at a moments notice she might up and away upon some sort of adventure. Now wonder Mall likes it.  

Gliding into the event with the ever glorious Duke, Nicci could appreciate she’d arrived in more senses of the word. 

“Well in my experience there is reticence unless persons are provoked – and you know my stand upon dullness.” Was her bright-eyed reply, with an arch of eyebrow a she looked about the room.  There were many groups, moving and shifting at times, people catching up with past acquaintances, some quiet and some animated chatter.  “I should wonder if they might enjoy and announcement of some seasons game or fete, something for His Majesties amusement?”

Cordelia and Henry

“It is I, Lady Lucas, and not a ghost, I assure you. A pleasure to meet you again”, Henry said with a smile. “And yes, I have metamorphosed into what you see today. Most of us are at some point in life or another in dire need of changing, whereas a few, like yourself, may remain unchanged forever…” the Baron would kiss a hand if offered. “You look resplendent!” He added gallantly.

Gout had been the initial cause of his losing weight. Earlier in the year, while mulling on an acute pain in his left toe, the astronomer had noticed that his tenants never suffered from it, while he often did. After inquiring about what the cause could be, he noticed that he ate much more meat, especially fatty delicacies like beef, boar, and venison. A trial period of one month had seen his gout almost disappear. The lord now ate more fish and pigeon, and less of the others. The scarcity of fatty meats in his diet and the scarcity of acute gout attacks, this last allowing almost daily constitutionals, had done much for his general health. A purgative derived from the autumn crocus described by the Byzantine physician Alexander of Tralles in the sixth century helped to treat the, now scarce, acute attacks.

“Please, my lady, forgive my sudden disappearance last season, you see…” Lord Grey started looking for a spot where they could not be easily overheard before continuing. “… I received news that Codnor Castle had caught fire. The residence was built around 1320, and I was afraid the whole building would collapse. I was so worried that I left without even a note. Thank Providence, although the first floor’s timber and paneling had to be replaced, the structure was sound. I must thank the Lord Grey that renovated the keep in the late fifteenth century. He not only had larger windows and fireplaces installed, but he also had the foresight to reinforce the whole building. So, Codnor, like me, only improved with the metamorphosis”.

It had been a stressful experience, but one that had given Henry new insights on who he could trust. That Catholic priest taught me much. Old grudges need to be reviewed, perhaps even discarded, the Baron thought.

“But enough talk about things that have already been fixed. I wanted to restart our talks regarding the future Lady Grey…” It was Henry’s foremost preoccupation at that point in time. “I have done much soul searching in the past few months…” which meant he had applied the same method he used for his research to the matter of finding a bride, “and have reached a few conclusions. I would like to share them with you if you are still willing to help me”.

D&D Separate

"Yes of course I meant him. Who did you think I was referring to ......"

She let that trail off as Darlene then was all about meeting the next morning and then switched into her desire to NOT go to Lady Toledo but would take her leave.

Davina gave her a small curtsey but her brow furrowed a bit as she now realized that having invited Lady Oakham to 'assist' her own needs might well be more than she could deal with.

Well she would just have to be FIRM  ......

"Well. Now where shall I wander ......."

Edited by Davina Wellsley

She was turning to her right when she heard her name and looked over her shoulder as a man came up next to her asking if she remembered him ....

Her blue eyes held his as she searched back into her memories trying to recall the picture that he had painted for her.

"Henry ..... Henry ....."

She whispered as she made a small circle around him assessing him from head to toe.

"Yes. I know which HENRY you are."

"I seem to remember you had a sister called Ursula who you called 'bear' in a rude fashion. But perhaps I am wrong in that? But sadly I do not recall what else was done."

"And you have learned how to Charm."

She offered back adding a smile to show she took no offense.

"Well met cousin. It has indeed been many years. What brings you to Windsor? Are you alone of do you accompany Family?"

"Drink?"

She caught a passing servant asking them to wait until it was a yes or no.

Darlene and Elizabeth

The Duchess was pleased with the compliment of her attire.  "Why thank you, and your own outfit is so fetching."

"Rubies represent fire, which also deters the dead.  Both silver and fire burn them.  They do not seem to like the color red.," she explained as if it was self-evident.

"Her eyes flashed at the reference to the seance.  "I communicated with grandfather and he said to protect you.  Most unusual," she noted.  "He seemed to warn about the spirits here in Windsor," she said behind her fan.  "I think there are powerful ones here.  I have already herd of a hidden cellar here.  Count Forensi tells me that more spirits are to be found deeper in the earth.  We shall venture there one night soon.  We must be decked in silver and surrounded by fire."

"Then a party for ladies," she began before remembering how tedious some ladies could be.  "Who shall we invite?  My sisters?  Who else?  Perhaps we play cards?"

The subject of men again caused her to roll her eyes.  "There are no such men at court," she announced in a jaded voice.  "Find one who is biddable, I suppose, who has rank and wealth."  She then realized the point Darlene had made.  "And do not tell me that my current husband is that."  She tittered at the thought.

"I called Ursula a cub, not a bear," he laughed.  "She is now set to be a nun, along with two other sisters of mine.  The family is very loyal to the Mother Church," he explained.

"My father was feeling poorly and sent me here in his stead.  If there had been a Parliament, he would have come; but, he thought it best if I would ingratiate myself at court.  Perhaps you can introduce me to the best of people?  Where is your brother?  I heard he married one of Norfolk's ... secondary daughters."  He looked about the crowd as he tried to assess the importance of the people assembled.

Darlene and Elizabeth

It still surprised Darlene, that she and the Duchess did get along so well.  Some people called Lady Ablemarle eccentric, but Darlene thought her openminded to believe what most might doubt.  (Case in point the current fascination with mediums.) 

“With William -” Darlene breathed with flare of eyes, “I mean the Late Duke Newcastle upon tyne?”

“But that is not so unusual truly Elizabeth, for the Duke, your Grandfather, was my protector himself. A guardian you might say. There was many a time I turned to him for advice, his wisdom was a solace. And so now, I have you.” She reasoned for them both out aloud, “Even from the Grave he is chivalrous to a tee.”  William had been such a sweet dear man, Darlene had been genuinely fond of him. Both had been a little lonely she supposed. 

“But are you content to accept? I do not wish to burden you overly, and I rather doubt that was -  is his wish either.”  It was strange to speak of the dead as though they were still living.  But Darlene did not find it so hard to suspend disbelief, especially when it was dressed in care.

"Then we ought go very deep.” Darlene mused upon the Counts advice that spirits reside deep, “It we dare.” She felt nervous to suggest it, but did not want to seem like a sissy.  “Or perhaps since he warned of Windsor particularly, then it would be prudent to have a practise first, above the ground.”

It was a bit tricky to come up with a guest list, not so many ladies were openminded.  “Lady Toledo might have attended, but she is with child, so that would be dangerous.  Perhaps I ask Mistress Wellsley, and Lady Cambray. Card? I am not very good at cards, what about dice, that is easier.”

The irony continued as Elizabeth amended that ‘biddable’ might be easier to find, then to titter comparing that with her own impossible Husband. “I shall spare you then, though would it console you to know I had always thought your Husband to have eyes for none other. He is quite charming that way in fact.” Frustrating was what she really meant.

“How old were you when you were married Elizabeth?”    

Buckingham & Nicci

"You may never hear me say the words again, and would never to another man, but you look much prettier in it than I do!" the yet-handsome duke commented with a huff of approval and amusement. It did not take long for her to reveal her true costume for the evening.

In Buckingham's company one never did know when one was going to embark on some sort of adventure. He was not know for being a man of steady course and sedate action. Nicci might require those breeches before the night or season was over!

He surveyed the room. Dorset was looking the worse for wear. He had, of course, seen the man since Pembroke had attacked him. They were both cousins, but Dorset had a special distinction of being his godson as well, though he disliked thinking himself old enough; he had been barely more than a boy when Dorset was born and that arrangement had been made.

Francis was talking to Ru, and thus blissfully occupied and unaware that he was receiving some rather pointed looked and the hushed discussion to match. The boy was not calculating enough yet to have done it on purpose, but it was smart to be seen with princes and show that those did not spurn him or believe the rumors.

Wellesley was speaking to some Catholic Howard. There were many. That was curious as one would think she'd stay away from such...unless she was bidden by the Northern Secretary. 

Mountjoy was looking dapper as ever. One could appreciate a man with a mind and style, as well as a head for the hunt. 

"My dear Nicci, one must take advance of reticence in my position, for it shows you who are bold in approaching. Shy people are rarely useful. Those who see my company worth a risk, though, prove more interesting." Then he raised a brow and asked, "What sort of game of fete did you have in mind?"

Rupert and Kingston

"I might question their truthfulness if you had, Sir," Francis replied with a laugh. "I would imagine there are not many who risk such a journey when there is coin to be made far closer and thus be less of a gamble with life and livelihood. It would have to be a extraordinarily large company to engage that sort of risk."

His furthest journey had been barely out of his youth when he had first started after his naval service. He had funded a cousin's ship and they had gone for spices; it was less than a fifty percent chance of returning but one where fortunes were made if successful. He and Will had then pooled their profits into their own ship and company. He had not been back since. Around Italy and across the waters from there to the Ottomans were the furthest he had been other than the colonies. 

"An ambassador from the Tsar? Truly? Well, that is surely different." Francis let out his air slowly in wonder, almost like a whistle without the whistle. "If it is a military man, might I beg the opportunity for a back row seat to your discussions?"

As to scholars from Cambridge, he promised, "I will bring any with such interests and abilities to you to engage on projects if it would be useful to your endeavors."

Cordelia and Henry

She smiled but then grew a bit serious as he spoke  ...

"I do hope that you have not been ill? Illness can change a person much tis true but one always has the fear that it will return after that."

"But I see that you show no obvious sign and so I must think that this change was of a good thing thus is the Man i see before me."

"And so no apologies are needed. At all. But it is a nice thing for you to offer!"

She added in her smile returning. She had to stop herself from putting her hand to his arm in relief.

"I am glad that you were able to save .... Codnor  ..... it would have been a tragedy if it had indeed been lost. All the more dear because it holds Family Memories that can not be regained."

He then offered her further insights and she listened as he detailed his plan.

"Well. So you are searching for a wife in all interest now  ...."

"The offer made still stands Lord Grey. And I am interested to hear of these 'conclusions'."

"I have the time so yes I am at your pleasure."

Was he asking her again to find him a suitable wife? She wonders if he has changed his thoughts on what was suitable for that lady to have. She would need to make a list  ..... she had so many going at one time these days  ..... and she also had to remember WHO had priority as in Newcastle then Basildon. Then there might be Lady Altyh  and her older brother or even Lord Mountjoy but he was hardly in immediate need of a son-in-law so she would let him lapse for now. My but things looked to be improving so what a good thing that she had come to Windsor!

Buckingham & Nicci

While she behaved quite familiar with the Duke, Nicci was ever mindful of his prestige, which made the banter they shared all the more prized.  "I shall keep your secret, though that is not my statement intended. Rather, that at the core I am your creature." she play acted a lordly bow. (The male gesture was not as smooth as it should have been, in fact, was not unlike those Francis gave before he became practised.)

Fast forward to the meet and greet, the Duke perused the room in that insightful way he did. His comment of their options continued, and gifted her an understanding.  "At a certain level it is gauche to sally forth and thrust amongst, but rather the course is to allow an approach." To date Nicci had been the one to muster wits to approach this one or that, but now stood with the Duke, that was not the way to do it.

Realising this now, she wondered how it had not occurred to her previously.  

"Though meddling is ever an option." she grinned to add. 

"I wondered to a contest perhaps.  For would it not be natural for His Highness to wish his court to celebrate with him merrily this season of good fortune.  I should wonder if it might be especially agreeable for him to have courtiers put forth impromptu acts during the season for his joy and entertainment.  Persons might of course perform to their strengths. Like our Lady Toledo would no doubt interject some song into a dinner, and some such.  While my Lord Cousin Louis... might provide a dike building demonstration." she laughed at that and added that she was only teasing on that latter.

"Why really seemingly spur of the moment shows ought to be a part of our every day existence don’t you think.   But I don’t think that these persons we see realise that.  But now if we were to say there was a loft prize for the best, then perhaps even the reticent might have a try." 

Nicci's gaze had slid similarly around the room, noting the ladies. She might have liked looks at her arrival with the Duke, and perhaps some whispers. But sadly the English were not as good at intrigue as were the French.   Hers was to nod and smile to any whom looked her way, inviting an approach. Nicci certainly had no dibs on George Villiers!