JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Opening Reception

Prince Rupert

Catriona and Arlington

Cat turned to look at who bumped as he made his apologies.  She was familiar with who he was.  You couldn't exist in the King's radius and not know the Lord Chamberlain.  "Do not worry yourself.  You were not the first to jostle me and since I seem to be right in the main thoroughfare, I will guess you might not be the last, my lord."  She gave a small chuckle as she stepped closer for a moment as someone else moved around her to get nearer to the Royal pair before returning to the normal distance people keep between themselves with those they don't know.

"I don't remember if we've been formally introduced.  Lady Catriona MacGregor, Countess Alyth."  She would offer her hand if he seemed inclined.  Even while she was speaking, though, her eyes continued to scan for her lost endangered lamb.  

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Catriona and Arlington

"Yes, yes"  He scanned her face, then stomach and then breast before returning to make eye contact.  "Of course,"

He took her hand and gave it a kiss.  "I am Henry Bennet, the Earl of Arlington and Lord Chamberlain to the King.  I have been trying to meet you for over a year."  He was a man typically familiar with royal mistresses.  Cat had been an exception and Henry had wished to correct that.

Turning back towards the King briefly.  "It is good you are here for the Christening I suppose," he muttered.  "If I may be so bold, does this setting and circumstance cause you discomfort?"

Catriona and Arlington

It was no surprise when he scanned her breasts, but her stomach?  She hadn't been with the King in quite a while and her last husband had passed over a year ago.  She dipped into an appropriate curtesy as he took her hand and made his own introductions.  "If I had known, my lord, I would have found a way to rectify that situation," she replied.  Cat couldn't think of any letters or invitations from the Earl, so he probably wished to keep it somewhere public so others wouldn't talk about him being alone with one of the King's ladies.

Another Gaelic curse whispered through her head as she continued to try to find Fiona.  That's why the question caught her off-guard.  "Discomfort?"  Was he referring to the King doting on the Queen and their new child?  The fact that she and Adam had been wed here in the chapel?  The attempted bombing after the Hunt?  She decided to go with the new royal baby.  "It is a blessing on our lands that a new heir to the throne has been born."  She paused, uncertain of what more to say.  "I'm certain my presence will more discomfort the Queen than myself."

Davina and Young Stafford

She gave him another smile without an answer in return.

He was right but now things had changed. She was unsure of her reception from the Queen - indeed if that Lady even knew what had occurred. And what had been said about her own removal and now employment with Prince Rupert here at Windsor. And if Lady Mountjoy was in attendance as well   ......

All that was pushed aside as she sank into her deep curtsey beside Henry. It was doubtful that either of them would be noticed amongst the crush and others of far greater importance.

But she must prepare herself for it and so once she had risen her 'Court Mask' would be firmly in place. Like armor it protected her. She was now skilled enough to not let her emotions show. For if ever a weakness was found or detected then it would be used against you by those that took great pleasure in hunting those that could not defend themselves.

She glanced at the man beside her and wondered just what played about in his mind at the moment. 

Even though he was on duty, in theory, there was a bow to the monarchs.  Not seeing anyone that necessitated his visit, Langdon moved to join the entourage around the royal couple,  It was a good place to be if one wanted to be seen.

Though Captain Herbert was near, the Earl did not expect Captain Herbert to speak to him about his sister.  The place was too public and Thomas Herbert was too reasonable, or so they said.

The man beside her was likewise quiet,  He offered a deep bow and then rose, certain that no royal eye has been cast in their direction.  There were too many other important courtiers in the audience,

The situation between Henry and Davina had grown somewhat awkward, or so he surmised.  He glanced at the now grown woman beside him and wondered just what played about in her mind at the moment.  He offered a quick inviting smile as an olive branch.

Cordelia and Henry

She sank into her curtsey from the place that she had been taken to. Curious to see the young Queen whom she had no real interaction with naturally. She was hardly a part on that inner circle and never would be. If she had perhaps remarried to a Courtier of some Rank her own status would have risen higher and with that came opportunities she would very much have liked to have had. Once again she was hit with that wave on aloneness and she felt some sadness that the man beside her was out of her reach. He needed, and rightly so, a younger woman who could give him children. Oh she supposed that she could have a child for she still had her cycles yet to imagine that a man in search of a wife would think of her over a nubile young creature was laughable. 

She gave an outward sigh as they stood and she turned to answer him.

"I shall look forward to it with much anticipation. I must confess that it will be a pleasure to have company for I am solitary in many ways. And the weather holds nice but there is still a chill."

She realized that he might take that as her being desperate so she added

"But I also enjoy my own company more times than not these days. So do not think that I am in need of 'saving'!"

She gave an amused chuckled so he would know that she made fun of herself.

"My son has always been rather  ..... unsatisfied  ..... with his lot. He thinks highly of himself and that is well but he has a tendency to be high-minded and is very conscience of 'Place'. He thinks that he is due more than what he has. My late husband was well enough off and we did not suffer plus the kinship with Newcastle made more things available. But it never was enough for him."

"Do you think that is so? Did you find that wisdom behind your father's words?'

"I suppose I am more to blame for many things. I am but a woman so I lack the fundamental attributes of a Man and in that did I make him suffer?"

It was turning too serious and she needed to fix that.

"Grandchildren? Well time will tell on that."

"But I must beg your pardon Lord Grey. I had not meant to be so melancholic. But you are a good listener and for that I must thank you."

"And I shall indeed pass your regards to John. And if the time ever comes when he has a need then I would be in your debt."

She took a little step back and gave him a little curtsey for his kindness and words.

There had been no royal recognition and, truth be told, none had been expected. It was the subject’s duty to act in such a way as to attract his king's notice, and Henry had not done that… yet. But things will start to change, and soon… It was in Henry’s benefit that the King favoured scientific endeavours. Henry could work at being noticed just by doing what he loved most, natural philosophy research.

At Cordelia’s self-deprecating joke, Henry smiled warmly. “Lady Lucas, I am certain you need no saving. On the contrary, you are doing the saving of my sorry self!” He jested back.

“As for your son, ambition is not necessarily bad. As long as he checks it with temperance and propriety and does nothing that would not make his mother proud, I am sure he will be more than fine”. A change of topic. “For many a year I was certain that my own father was totally wrong… I never showed him any disrespect, of course, and he allowed me the freedom to go to Cambridge, so he was in no way heartless. But as years have passed, I have come to realize that there is certain wisdom that comes with age, and he was full of it, while I was not. I just wish I had understood this before he passed”. And before my brother passed. We three could have been far closer if I had just been a little wiser. Henry sighed, missing both men very, very much.

“As for being a woman, no need to fret over that. I have known women that put men to shame for their mental acuity. I know it is not the way for women to show that they are brighter, but I would not mind one bit if my wife were brighter than me…” that was a new thought; it was possible, although unlikely. “She would then be able to solve problems that are taking me a long time to solve. Mankind, and England, would benefit from that. How could I not approve?” Then back to her. “So, I am certain that you have done your best, and there is no blame whatsoever. It is most probable that he is at that age when young men need to find their own two feet. Give him some rope, and I think he will not hang himself with it”.

Lady Lucas was good company. Serious topics, yes, but important ones. Just as he needed her womanly point of view to find balance in his life, she needed his manly point of view for the same reason. As she curtsied, he bowed too, formally. Then, as he straightened, he offered his arm once again.

“Ready to meet Mistress Eleanore?”

Beverley and Athenry

Beverley was thankful that his lady wife did not hold that sort of drama. There was no woman who was perfect and it was about finding what best suited you and your life whilst advancing the family line. The viscount continually felt that he had done well with that. They would have their dramas, surely, but their mutual goals and advancement were important to both. She had her place with Her Majesty. He had his place with Prince Rupert. There was a separateness and togetherness where both individual did well and brought that to their life. 

Now if only he did not feel the pressures of his father and the eyes of his father and his father's friends, because he still did feel that he did not measure up to Brooke and that his past behavior still followed him, even though he had been just a boy then.

"We all have our dramas and tribulations," he said, quietly. "I, for one, do not feel the older lords shall ever see me as a grown man. I feel their gaze like I am just a boy and that they look at me with eyes to tell my lord father of what they see should I ever take a misstep." He felt he could tell his friend that, for it was nothing new, but even now it persisted, even though he had his own child. "Of course, I feel my master the Prince does not see me that way any longer, or at least he foists responsibilities on me to prove that I am not, for which I am grateful."

Shortly, the King and Queen entered, and he distinctly felt that he should probably be near said master, but it was too late now to change that. It was beneath him to scurry like a forest animals needing attention like a nut to survive looming winter. Even without his presence anywhere near, he trusted implicitly in Cumberland's advocacy in keeping him in the periphery of the royal attention for his care to his duties. The Prince was an exceedingly practiced benefactor who took such responsibilities as a serious part of royal tradition. 

So instead of following the pattern of many courtiers, jockeying for a good place to make their reverences where they would be seen, Beverley bowed low and was content.

Around the Royals, Captain Herbert give Langdon the Stink Eye

Lord Langdon was correct that Captain Herbert was far too well-bred to cause a scene. Even his elder brother was unlikely to cause a scene in such a place, and Pembroke was in questionable control of himself much of the time. 

However, that did not mean that Captain Herbert was pleased for Langdon to join the grouping around the King. In fact, his blue eyes narrowed considerably, thinking the behavior of the man ridiculous. To put oneself in proximity to a gentleman whose maiden sister you were spending an objectionable amount of time around, without any permission for such courtship-like actions, was not good behavior in Thomas' view. 

After all, Captain Herbert did not have the luxury of vacating the space himself, for he was attending the King and could not leave the proximity close and hand. Yet, he did not wish to have to look at the man or be near him. In fact, he did want to have words with him but simply could not. 

He was saying many non-poetic things in his head, though. 

Jack delicately bumped into his shoulder surreptitiously, reminding him that now was not the time to seethe. He turned his eyes pointedly away. 

Mountjoy and Eleanor

“The workshop is truly a sight to behold and the porcelain they produce is unlike anything to be seen. Truly it is a marvel of science and manufacturing. His Electoral Highness has been most generous in allowing me access for he understandably protective of his creation.” She seemed like the type that would enjoy craftsmanship for its artistic value and getting to show off his collection was always enjoyable. In addition increasing his acquaintance with Lord Grey could prove advantageous for he did sit in the Lords and Mountjoy’s influence had waned in the House as a result of his sojourn on the continent.

His rather forthcoming tail of his wedding went over well for it was a captivating tale. Charles Rex had an almost paternal delight in making matches for his courtiers but most of them had not been as accommodating as Blount had been. It was a good match both politically and financially which, truth be told, was the prime reason Charles agreed but it turned out, quite unexpectedly to Charles, to grow rapidly into more than mutual respect. Even with the trials and tribulations that come with passion and devotion he would not wish it otherwise. Well… that was true up until the fateful diagnosis from the Royal Physician a few weeks ago which all but determined that with Ursula the Blount line would become extinct. The though lingered and resurfaced like a crunch of an eggshell when eating an otherwise delicious pastry.

The momentary cloud chased away he quickly moved on to Eleanor’s quip about horse ballet. “Ah, that would certainly be hard on the furniture but as the interior is the responsibility of the Chamberlin, I might just give it a try.” He countered good naturedly. with typical ladylike modesty, she declared herself no huntswoman but fond of riding. The ability to follow the men in a hunt was a desirable trait in a Lady and competent horsemanship was expected in any person of quality. The appreciation of tales of the hunt was an unexpected bonus. “The Park at Windsor is extensive and well designed. No doubt there will be some sort of organized hunt or outing but the park also provides many venues for rides and other private outings. The formal gardens nearer the castle also offers many opportunities for a pleasant stroll in the mornings or evenings depending upon your disposition.”

“As to the flora I cannot say I am familiar enough to give a precise botanical description of the gardens but they are varied and comprehensive enough to offer interest to even the most discerning botanist.” He found Eleanor’s interest in botany interesting and apt for a Lady. He was traditional enough to believe that ladies and gentlemen each had their own station and should behave accordingly but the Blounts had always been an academically inclined family and accepted that women were capable of learning more than domestic skills. They were not so irrational that they believed that women could become Doctors and Lawyers and such but they certainly could aspire to disciplines such as botany, poetry and literature. In the field of education they were quite open-minded. “If you enjoy the exotic I recommend to you a visit to the orangery. It has not only orange trees but I understand there is there a piña de Indes plant. Or so I have heard but I have yet to see one myself.” There were all sorts of fanciful things said to come from the new world. For sure there were sugar and spices but really he had a hard time believing that such a backward and savage place like the Americas could ever amount to anything much. “When I was hunting in Epping last June…no it must have been in July, I had gone out for rabbit to stock the larder and had worked myself around towards the marsh west of Chingford. Do you know Chingford? I would not think that you would have any reason to know of Chingford because it is a small and insignificant hamlet. Well anyway, I was hunting rabbit west of Chingford and came to the marsh that was covered with little white flowers, it being June or July. And what do I see but a large flock of woodcock and in the center of the flock was the largest cock I had ever seen and then and there I knew I had to have it. I crouched down and began to creep towards my goal…” It was then that the Royal Party entered interrupting this fascinating story as all attention was directed in their direction. Poor Eleanor would have to wait for another time to learn if Charles had gotten his enormous woodcock. 

Their Majesties were resplendent in their matching wine coloured attire and the King, as one would expect seemed to be in high spirits. He turned to face the Royal Party and gave a deep courtly bow, the feather of his doffed hat brushing the floor in proper fashion. He noted that he was not among the first group the King deemed to notice. He was enough of a courtier to notice such a thing and experienced enough to realize that given the circumstances, it was not meant as a snub. His eyes went from the King, to the Queen and then carried on to determine if his wife was present in the her entourage.   

Cordelia and Henry then approaching Eleanor and Mountjoy

That he jested back eased her discomforts somewhat yet she was still unhappy with herself for her seriousness.

She heard his words regarding her son and nodded several times.

Well then I shall take heed of all that you have said and so shall have patience or as much a I can."

Was there an under current of something behind his own words regarding his father? Did she detect a note of sadness in his words as there had been in hers?

"Perhaps we share more than we think Lord Grey. Yet you must berate yourself. You have said that I must allow for my son's maturing so I am sure that you Father did the same for you."

"I think to apply blame now serves no purpose. Is it not far better to think ahead - to those Happy Times?"

"Ah a wife who is brighter than you? Well that will indeed be a challenge for me!"

He then asked if she was ready to meet this 'Eleanor."

"Yes. From what I can see I have to say that what I pictured in my mind does not match with what I see."

"How long has it been since you last say her Lord Grey? I have a feeling that you are about to be surprised."

"How do you suppose it was Mountjoy that she encountered? It was not you who introduced and she has no other Sponsor here."

"Do you think she was bold enough to do it herself ........"

She was voicing her thoughts quietly as they moved closer to the pair.

Edited by Cordelia Lucas

Catriona and Arlington

Arlington had wondered whether there would be either bad or awkward feelings at the attention to the royal heir.  Catriona was wise enough to seem unaffected.  Arlington had been the royal pimp for a number of years early in the King's reign.  He had seen a dozen come and go.  Most understood their place in things, but not all young women were emotionally able to be put aside in favor of another.

"You may be right," he replied with a smile.  The Queen was far more bothered about the mistresses than the mistresses were bothered about the Queen or other mistresses.

"If you need assistance, I hope you will call upon me.  I warn you though that I am the Chamberlain at Whitehall, but not here.  If you have a complaint about your accommodations, you need to speak to Cumberland and not myself," he uttered with a chuckle.

Catriona and Arlington

Cat was more mature than her age because she never really had a childhood.  Plus, when she first began to try and catch the King's eye, she knew the likelihood of her remaining in such a position was not good.  She believed herself to be a realist.  Plus, she really wasn't adept at playing politics.  "I shall endeavor to try to keep from causing any more stress to Her Majesty."  

She chuckled when he mentioned not being in charge of accommodations in Windsor.  "Ah, but I remembered other Seasons here and decided to spare both myself and His Highness the headache of having 5 females in one room.  I rented a house in town instead.  While the noise level is no different, at least is it more spread out."  Her tone was warm with affection for her family.

She was too experienced to let things continue on the way it was so to his smile she offered her own in return.

"Well so there it is. All the fuss and clamoring for that center place matters not - at least for now."

"Where are you staying Henry? Here or in Town?"

Reverting back to the mundane conversation shared by Courtiers and leaving all those unanswered question for later.

"I think Lord Beverley made a place for Baintree but it is I that occupy that room."

"Fortunate for me but not for others. I do feel badly for that Gentlemen but honestly EVERYONE should be well versed in the size of Windsor by now."

She was in all truth a bit weary and she knew her face would ache later from having to keep her smile.

She had no real need to remain and would take her leave quietly after a bit of time passed. To leave before that would be insulting Their Majesties.

Catriona and Arlington

"Five females?  Heavens," the old Earl replied.  "If you have a room in the castle that you re not using, that could fetch a pretty penny,"  he chuckled.  "Do not tell Beverley you are not using it," he recommended.  She would lose it in such case he imagined.

"Did you bring sisters in search of a match then?" he inquired.  "Which ones might I ask?"

"I am staying at the Hen's Toe temporarily.  My father was to have a room and it seems that it was mistakenly cancelled.  I am trying to see what can be done to get a room in the palace but I have been warned that it is full to the brim."

Sensing that the conversation had run its course, Henry declared, "I had best make my rounds.  Are we set for tomorrow then?"

Catriona and Arlington

Cat pondered that information.  A room assigned to her but having rented a house...I mean, what harm is in not immediately telling His Highness or his assistant...

"Right now, just my eldest younger sister, Lady Lochend, is out.  The next youngest, Shona, is of age but I want to give her one more Season before fully presenting her to court."  She glanced around again.  "Speaking of Fiona, she was right here by me, but it seems she's scampered off.  Do you see a lady similar to me but younger about?"

It seemed to Langdon that Captain Herbert had believed the mischaracterization of his relationship with his sister Susan.  Charles had hoped that Thomas would be reasonable about such things.

After his conversation with Susan, Charles now thought that seeking out Thomas to have a man to man chat might be the best tactic.  Perhaps he could explain and repair his relationship with the Herberts.  That would address one problem.

He had a problem with Catherine Sedley, but a preliminary idea had offered a possible resolution.  If he could convince Catherine to marry his brother Bradley, and her father to bless it, that would take care of another.

Then there was Fiona.  She would want to sneak out together.  It was a miracle that Cat suspected nothing as of yet, but any further dealings with the younger McBain risked fire with the elder MacBain.  It was one thing when Fiona and he were alone before Cat's arrival.  It was quite the other to carry on once her primary guardian had arrived.  

Charles was beginning to gain confidence that he could resolve all three lady problems with a bit of luck.  Then, there was Darlene.  His confidence was that she would come around in time, if she did not rid herself of him completely.

All of this daydreaming almost caused him to run into someone who stopped suddenly in front of him.  Maybe he could ask advice from various people, but who?

The Royal Couple joins Cumberland

The Queen smiled up at the King and nodded, "Yes, I do think things have gone quite well. My uncle deserves his praise."

With that the King and Queen made their way to Rupert first. Both noticed he had been speaking to Kingston, who had the sense to bow himself back a few steps of respectful distance.

"We thank you for the hospitality, cousin," the King boomed merrily so that more than just Rupert would hear. The royal voice was expected to be heard by more than just the recipient at such gatherings. "Everything has been splendid thus far. You always have such attention to detail and precision." Cumberland was officious in overseeing anything put his way so long as it was not the underhanded courtly maneuvering or politicking that he hated. 

He looked to see if the Queen had anything to add.

Mountjoy and Eleanor with Henry and Cordelia approaching

Lord Mountjoy didn't just order his porcelain from the Elector's manufactury; he had been there, he had seen it. Perhaps unsurprising given that he was married to the Elector's sister, but the thought of seeing such sights and having such privileged access delighted Eleanor. She decided that she would absolutely insist to Lord Grey that they had to see the collection. It would be a real treat. Her kind companion seemed to go quiet after regailing her with his tale of sudden marriage to his Margravina. Perhaps she had said too much when she admitted that she would welcome meeting available gentlemen. She hoped not. Or perhaps it was nothing to do with her, and his thoughts had simply drifted onto something more important. A lady knew better than to interrupt a gentleman whilst he was thinking. 

It did not take him long to rally however, and she tittered at his assertion that he might even try the horse ballet, just to annoy the Chamberlain. It might be useful to find out who that was, she mused, before her attention was gathered up by his description of the gardens and parklands surrounding Windsor. Truly it seemed a wonderland for the botanically inclined! She would be certain to make the most of it. "I shall most definitely take your advice and visit the orangery." She declared, quite excited at the thought. "A pine-apple!" She breathed. That rarest and supposedly sweetest of fruit. She'd never tasted one but the prospect of seeing the plant in the flesh, as it were, along with the other exotics collected by the King and the Duke of Cumberland was terribly enticing. "Thank you, Lord Mountjoy." 

As she'd hoped he might, her companion launched into a hunting story, even kindly including a botanical detail for her. She listened with rapt attention to Lord Mountjoy's tale about his massive woodcock, merely shaking her head, curls waving, as he asked if she knew Chingford. She didn't but you could bet she would find it on a map at the first opportunity. Alas but they were interrupted, the fact that it was by the Royal procession somewhat mitigating circumstances. The Royal couple looked resplendent in matching burgundy; alas but she probably couldn't ask for a closer look at their embroidery, which was beyond sublime even at this distance. Taking her cue from her companion, Eleanor curtseyed deeply, head bowed and skirts pooling around her as her bent knee nearly touched the ground beneath them, not rising until Lord Mountjoy did. He watched the procession pass with a keen gaze, and whilst she was also fascinated, she fancied that he might be seeking his wife amongst them. She in turn would need to see where Lord Grey was up to, but right now she was far too fascinated by the faces and finery that were passing her as the King and Queen made their way over to the man whom her companion had named as Prince Rupert of the Rhine. 

She really was here, amongst royalty. It was a heady thought. 

Beverley and Athenry

In and of itself, the drama which accompanied being married to the Duchess of Portsmouth did not particularly upset Athenry, who had experienced it from the first moment of their meeting. It had even extended to that meddling woman, Lady Ravenscar, whom he had considered pleasant enough for an old biddy until she had acted callously towards Louise’s plight. Nell Gwyn, too, had prepared him (albeit unkindly to Her Grace) for the temperamental outbursts. No, it was not the melodrama – not truly, anyways – that kindled resentment within the viscount.

It was that much more personal hurdle – the manner in which she had implied an attainable normalcy and, when granted it by the king, rejected it entirely. But there was no sense dwelling on it in this moment, not when he had done so in the past and would continue to do so in the future. Besides, Beverley himself was opening up, a rare sight.

His expression softened as his friend disclosed some of his own anxieties, a gentle smile being pleasant company to a nod of understanding that followed. “One day, my friend, we’ll be those old men,” Athenry uttered, attempting to be reassuring. “As for now, I think I understand the feeling.” It wasn’t quite the same, for it was obvious that Brooke truly did care for Beverley, but a younger Cadell had grown up feeling unappreciated by his father to the point that his family was still tense over the fallout there. “I think it difficult for the older generation to look upon us and not see the memories not just of our youth, but their own.” He pursed his lips, contemplatively. “That conjecture does little to ease the discomfort, I fear.”

The king and queen arrived, and Athenry dipped into a respectful bow, smiling as His Majesty loudly praised Prince Rupert, the viscount shooting a sidelong glance at Beverley in recognition that the praise also indirectly extended to him. “See? Already your work is being made known.” More quietly, he added, “I shan’t be offended if your duties call, and you must depart.”

Indeed, his grey eyes were already searching for recognition in the tail end of the royal procession, towards his friend Ashburnham, and then over to the nearby Catholic lords, in case Beverley had to leave. Or York, perhaps - I cannot give up hope there.

Edited by Cadell Mortimer

She made a face at hearing of his accomadations.

"You must seek out Lord Beverly of course. He has a full plate but he must learn to deal with such matters.

"But then staying in town would have merit as well - much more freedom without all the eyes and ears. And you might well discover more from outside then in."

She made reference to information of current happenings that might well used by him.

"Yes. I must stay for a small time and then I shall leave."

"Shall we arrange for eleven of the clock at the East Terrace Garden? I shall be there already as I have another meeting in the morning. Send me word if you are not free."

"Main Tower on the third floor. Ask any servant there and they will deliver it."

"Until then."

She smiled again and added a curtsey.

"Curiously, I do not know Basildon well.  He has professed a love for the navy and pushes its advancement in Parliament, but he seems more a man of words than action," the Prince surmised.  "A man like him should have a yacht, I should think."

The idea of gambling held great appeal for Cumberland,  "A grand idea on that.  We need someone scrupulous to handle the betting, but someone well acquainted with gambling."  His aide was strong on the former, but not necessarily the latter.  "I will enter my yacht in the race surely."

The King and Queen earned a nod of supplication from the elder stateman and relative of both royals.  "We can speak later of this," he stated softly.  Rupert knew that he would likely be swept up in the pageantry of the event.  

"Ah, I see. His cousin is a favourite of His Grace. I see them both with him now. I shall ask him when next I get the opportunity. He strikes me as a man who will find a yacht to race in such company if he does not already have one," Francis replied, with a chuckle. Basildon struck him as that peacocking sort of lord with all his jewels and finery. He enjoyed flaunting what he had and his position. To flaunt it with a court full of onlookers for an afternoon on the Thames sounded like something Basildon would take part in.

He dipped his head prettily as Cumberland said he would enter his yacht in the race and postulated they would need someone to handle the betting. It would be preferrable if it were someone attached to the Navy - like Captain Herbert, Sir John Ernle, or even his "uncle" Sir George - something he was ready to say until both realized the King and Queen were on a line straight for them. 

Or rather, straight for Cumberland. Francis doubted it had anything to do with him. He could not be seen to, well, flee the royal presence - he might have attempted just that before he had learned better from Buckingham - so as much as he didn't want to encourage more gossip being right where everyone was now looking, he had limited options. He could already feel broadsheet whispers ready to bubble up as he shifted back a bit and then bowed deeply, holding it longer. After all, if eyes were going to be that way, he didn't want to add more fuel to the underserving upstart fire.

Buckingham had taught him that in such instances it was for anyone behind you to make room, and while there wasn't much room to make, it was for them to get out of his way, because one couldn't turn away from King. Having a steep learning curve as one of the King's Gentlemen, he had done away with some of his court naivete even if he was - politically speaking - still far behind.

When he did straighten, he kept the polite dip of his chin, finding interest in His Majesty's pearled buttons.

Mountjoy and Eleanor with Henry and Cordelia arriving

Mountjoy appeared momentarily distracted as he surveyed the Royal party and muttered “She is not there, how strange.” When he realized that Ursula was not with the party. It was entirely possible, and even most likely, that she was on an errand or performing some other task for Her Majesty. He would make inquiries but at the moment etiquette prevented such action. They were free to converse again but a portion of their attention would always be on the Royal Couple. “This is Her Majesty’s first appearance since the birth of the Prince.” He expounded just in case Eleanor was unaware of the fact. “She does look radiantly pale do you not think.” He accompanied the last comment with a glance and smile directed at the subject. He was most proud and protective of the Queen.  

Yet even with their attention being focused elsewhere he became aware of the approach of Lord Grey and Lady Lucas. This conventional situation was made somewhat awkward by Mountjoy’s irregular approach to Mistress Eleanor. Per the established custom, as he was in company with Eleanor, it would be up to him to acknowledge the approach of Henry and Cordelia and provide the appropriate introductions. Yet proper protocol would dictate that Henry, as Elanor’s relative had the right to proffer introductions for his charge. But as the true purpose of etiquette was to mitigate uncomfortable or odd situations he opted to take charge as the most senior of the group.

“Ah, Lady Lucas’ he greeted as they approached. “How very kind of you to grace me twice in one evening. Upon the departure of Lady Alyth and yourself I was so desolated by the loss of such charming companions that I was cast about like some wayward vessel in a storm that found a haven on the fair shores of some pleasant sunlit isle.” He turned to Eleanor “If, Mademoiselle, you would permit me to be so allegorical as to describe you so.” Then turning to Henry. “Lord Grey, I have found Mistress Eleanor to be so amiable and well mannered that she must be a relation of yours. Notwithstanding my forwardness in approaching Mistress Eleanor when she was unaccompanied, I would welcome a formal introduction if you feel such suitable.” He hoped that he had put everyone at ease and provided no grounds to take umbrage.

Catriona and Arlington

"Lady Lochend, yes I have heard of her great beauty," he replied.  He had heard much more than that.  Being the lover of a failed Scottish assassin did tend to make one the subject of scandalous gossip.  Arlington had an exceptional network of spies in the palace, and even abroad, though the latter diminished once he lost his former office.

"It seems the McBain sisters share that great gift of God."  By that he meant their beauty.

When Cat asked about her sister's location, Arlington quipped "in my experience, you will usually find a young beautiful lady in the company of a young gentleman."  Then for humor sake he drawled "present beautiful company excepted."

"Tomorrow at eleven then," he replied.  With a bow.  He backed away from Davina.

If Davina looked out into the crowd, she might see the Earl of Bristol moving her way, fighting his way through a fawning throng of courtiers bowing towards the royals. 

Catriona and Arlington

"I will admit, all four of us share a similar look," Cat replied with a grin.  "But you flatter me.  I believe each one of my sisters outshines me."  She wasn't going to pretend they weren't all pretty.  Even Aileen was growing out the awkward years, so interested in fashion, and gaining her beauty they all inherited from their mother.

"Oh, those poor dears.  In time they will learn youth doesn't mean interesting," she flirted.  She didn't mean anything by it, but since her Royal lover was old enough to be her father, it was obvious Cat enjoyed older men's company.  "And men often become more handsome as they age.  Which I'm sure you're well aware of."  Her eyes scanned over a few more heads.  Her height and heels really helped when you wanted to really get a good look around you.  Was that a flash of hair the same shade as her own?

Rupert with Kingston

"Yes, let us cast our net widely," he replied to the notion of recruiting Basildon and others.  Their conversation was interrupted by the royal couple.  There was the smallish bow before replying.

"It is through your leave that I am in a position to grant hospitality cousin," he replied to the King.  "On such a grand day for the realm and our family, I could not imagine anything less than it being perfect for the occasion."

He noticed that Kingston was slipping away.  It was what was expected in such circumstances.  The three royals moved closer together to form a united trio to face the crowd of onlookers.

Mountjoy and Eleanor With Henry and Cordelia Arriving

She smiled her greeting at Lord Mountjoy.

"And how kind of you Sir to wish for more of it. Well I am glad to see that you have found a way to not suffer in solitude."

Her gaze drifted to the young woman who was being introduced by Moutjoy to her own relative but she saw the difficulty in terms of Protocol so had to admire his handling.

Its was now up to Lord Grey to take over so she would say nothing further until  it was required. She was forming her own ideas about Eleanor from top to bottom in the present and not in her imaginings. There was nothing 'country' about Lord Grey's relative in the slightest. Her dress was no common cloth - not with all the embroidery - nor were her ornamentations.

Now as for her speech and conversational abilities  ............

John and Fiona

Fiona was glad that he remembered her. If he had not, he might have become a member of the ‘Fiona threw wine in my face’ club. She didn’t have a goblet of wine in her hand, but there were plenty of servants carrying trays full of them. One of them walked close enough that she could have grabbed a glass, but she didn’t.

“So have you,” she replied, looking him up and down as well. “I’m not alone. My brother and sister are around here somewhere.” She couldn’t see Cat but Douglas was easy to spot, towering over most of the people in the room. He was still talking to that blonde girl. She decided not to point him out. Instead, she wagged a finger at Lord Silverbridge playfully. “So be on your best behavior.”

As the King walked into the room, she quickly stepped behind her intriguing companion. “The King must not see me,” she whispered.