JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Opening Reception

Prince Rupert

Cordelia, Charles B, and the Scots

Fiona was not fooling Douglas with her ‘proper young lady’ act, but Lady Lucas seemed convinced, and even offered to help her siblings keep her from harm. If she knew that somebody was trying to kill me, she would change her mind. Her expression darkened momentarily as she thought about her stalker. She tried to pretend he didn’t exist, but his threat to her was very real. If he was a commoner, he was most likely still in London, but it was possible that he was a nobleman. Or, as Charles had suggested, a woman. She needed to talk to him. Maybe he had found out something during recess.

She looked around the room again and spied him, looking as handsome as always. Unfortunately, he was conversing with Mistress Wellsley and might not want her to interrupt. It had been ages since they had been together and just the sight of him sent a delicious fire rushing through her veins. She hoped he was as eager for an assignation as she was.

Fiona’s attention turned back to Lady Lucas when she called her a beautiful flower. She preened inwardly but kept up her demure act. Then Lord Mountjoy mentioned fireworks and she smiled brightly.”I haven’t seen fireworks before either. I think they would be the perfect end to a masquerade ball.” Not only was she trying to appear proper, she was attempting to be vapid as well.

The rest of the conversation made her feel really young. Cat was only a couple of years older but she had been married before and had a child. There was nothing Fiona could add and so both her gaze and her mind began to wander. The only reason she was sticking around was because she adored compliments and there was nobody else she would rather approach who was not male. Traipsing over to a gentlemen by herself would ruin her ruse, but it was tempting as she watched Mistress Wellsley walk away from Charles.

Douglas left the group and Fiona narrowed her eyes when he walked up to some blonde lady who seemed to be full of herself. She wanted him to settle down and be happy one day, but that one looked like trouble. Like recognized like. Or perhaps she was just too protective of her half-brother. She felt sorry for the woman who would eventually win his heart, for she would face scrutiny and interrogation from all four of his sisters.

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Charles and Henrietta joined by Henry

Lord Chatham’s smile seemed a bit forced and he confirmed what she suspected but didn’t elaborate. Henrietta was curious but she had been taught not pry into the business of gentlemen. Maybe he didn’t want to talk about it. Hopefully, he knew her well enough now to understand that she would listen if he ever changed his mind.

Her heart leapt in her chest when he used his special nickname for her. “You are too kind, my lord,” she replied with a sweet smile and a pretty curtsy. In anticipation of seeing him again, she had worn the favorite of her new autumn gowns: a fashionable but modest confection of brocade in violet, green, and gold. “And I must thank you for the puppy you sent me. She is …”

Her voice trailed off when she heard a gentleman clear his throat. Lord Gray, the astronomer she and Lord Chatham had met last season in the library, walked up to them. Henrietta had enjoyed his company, but still thought that the game suggestions she had given him for the event he had planned were rather awful.

He was certainly dressed finely this time. Henrietta smiled at him shyly but waited for Lord Chatham to speak first.

Douglas approaching Bridget

Still glancing around the room, Bridget didn’t notice Lord Dundarg’s approach until she heard his unmistakable Scottish accent. She turned toward him as he bowed gallantly to her. It had been a long time since she had seen him, and she had almost forgotten how tall he was … and how handsome. She had assumed that he had left court for some reason, and she was pleasantly surprised that he had returned.

In truth, he might have been in London last season and she had not known it. Because of her father’s disgrace, she had not attended any events and had kept a low profile.

Bridget held one delicate hand up to be kissed. “It is delightful to see you again as well, Lord Dundarg.” There was a trace of playfulness in her voice and her blue eyes sparkled. “And yes, it has been far too long since we have spoken together. You must have had many exciting adventures since then.”

Susan Herbert sending Langdon a note

In the same group that Henrietta Butler just left, Susan Herbert wasn’t listening to to the conversation either. Her eyes kept straying toward Charles who was speaking with Mistress Wellsley.   As soon as she saw the former Queen's lady walk away, she caught the attention of servant with a tray of drink.  Taking something out of her pocket, she placed it in his hand while whispering instructions.

The servant then made straight for Charles and held out a folded piece of paper. If he took it and opened it, he would read:

We need to talk but it is too risky to be seen together here. Do you know of a place where we can speak privately?

S.H.

Sophia and Sarah

Sophia wanted to protest when Sarah insisted she sit. She wasn’t tired at all. But she knew her friend meant well and she allowed her to lead her to a grouping of chairs while she wondered why Charles had not even looked her way. Did he, like most courtiers, believe that being seen during the late stages of pregnancy was inappropriate? Was he disgusted by the roundness of her belly? Or was he simply preoccupied by whatever was bothering him and had not noticed her?

As soon as she sank upon the cushions of the chair and leaned back on the pillow Sarah had provided, Sophia felt a profound sense of relief. Perhaps she had needed to rest and had not realized it. She usually recognized her body’s signals, but she was so excited to be back at court, she must have pushed this one to the back of her mind.

Closing her eyes briefly, she sighed in contentment as she listened to Sarah answer her question. The petite Countess understood Mistress Jennings’ reluctance to ruin her friendship with John Churchill by admitting she had feelings for him. In some cases, the direct approach could be harmful.

“What is the English saying? Don’t put all your chickens in one bucket? There are lots of handsome and eligible gentleman at court. Maybe you will find one who intrigues you more than John Churchill. Who knows? If he sees you talking or dancing with others, he might become jealous and ask your father for your hand.”

Edited by Sophia de la Cerda

Time for a drink - Darlene arrives

She was half a mind to not enter, the bright light and chatter radiating from the room did not hold an allure to her like it once had.  Which was Charleses fault of course --  so to spite him she entered the room any way.  She could not let him ruin her life any more than he'd done already. 

Darlene was exquisitely dressed, that is what happens when a lady with access to brother’s accounts has idle weeks to go shopping.  Her dress was a pale blue taffeta, with a pink sheen where it caught the light. Her bodice was covered with needlework diamonds, at the apex of each was set a sparkling diamante. Puffy sleeves of a gauze barely concealed the curve of shoulder, which then ended at her elbow where the shimmering blue/pink taffeta snuggly fitted down to her wrist. 

In her journal she had already carefully described her hairstyle for the evening, which her little darkie maid had managed to complete, all apart from the placement of the little ship, which tossed a little too furiously upon the waves of her aloft hair. 

Smile placed upon her lips, Darlene entered the room... she did not see him. That was the good and bad news. 

With intent not to let that initial impression break her well practised glide, Darlene moved towards a tray of refreshments, and was careful to select the fullest glass.  

Douglas and Bridget

Oblivious to the brief, sour look of Fiona's that had followed him, Douglas might have been amused to know she was protective of him as he was of her, when neither of them really wanted protecting, and probably needed it most. 

It was always a pleasure to be welcomed into her presence by a lady, and the big Scotsman had certainly had his share of rejections, but not today. Taking her elegantly offered hand in his own large paw, he bowed and kissed her knuckles in a gentlemanly fashion, a faint smile playing at his full lips as his blue gaze met hers. What man didn't like kissing pretty ladies? Her eyes sparkled and she sounded positively playful as she greeted him, a wonderful improvement from her pensive self at Christmas. 

Spending his time up north dragging reluctant militia out of pubs and working on his estate probably wasn't the kind of excitement that Bridget was thinking of, but he hated to disappoint a lady.  "I did capture a band o' highwaymen." Him and his militia, of course. Highwaymen and brigands were a lot less dashing and exciting and a lot more smelly and dirty in real life than in stories, but a lady didn't need to know that. "We tracked them frae thair latest attack an' bailed them up in thair den. T'was a richt auld ficht but we prevailed." Overwhelming numbers and better equipment would do that. Not that he'd captured all of them of course, several had been brought in already dead, the rest to hang in short order. "An' hae ye e'er seen seals hunted? The bulls er bigger than a man an' hae guid ficht in thaim."* That had been a new experience for Douglas, but he'd learned from a nearby Laird and taken to it with enthusiasm. Man against the wilds on a cold Scottish beach. Plus the pups produced a very fine, warm fur, and he was keen to explore all the resources of his little patch of turf. He kept the stories short so as not to bore, happy to elaborate if Bridget showed an interest. At least, with her heritage, he didn't have to worry too much about not being understood.

He was however rather more interested in what Bridget had been up to, and what had wrought so positive a change in her from the last time he'd seen her. Hopefully all good things. "But I'm sure that a lassie luikin' sae bricht an' bonnie mun hae haed a far finer year than a man jus' doin' his duty."** He suggested, interested to know what she'd been up to. 

As they spoke he noticed someone arriving fashionably late, someone he recognised; Darlene Hamilton. He'd not had much to do with her since she'd been at Heathers that fateful night and probably prevented them both from making bigger mistakes, whatever their hearts wanted, but he found it hard to be grateful to her. It made him wonder what Heather was up to these days. 

Subtitles
* I did capture a band of highwaymen. We tracked them from their latest attack and bailed them up in their den. It was a right old fight but we prevailed. And have you ever seen seals hunted? The bulls are bigger than a man and have good fight in them."
** "But I'm sure that a lady looking so bright and pretty must have had a far finer year than a man just doing his duty."

Edited by Douglas FitzJames

Sophia and Sarah

Sarah gave a small nod of her head as she caught the little sigh that Lady Toledo had uttered. 

"You see .... Was I not right in thinking that you needed to sit?"

"My sister was like you until she at last understood that resting her body whenever she saw a chair made a difference. You should adapt that idea as well going forward."

"Now. Drink some of your drink and let us sit in companionship and gossip about who is here."

The servant she had spoken to appeared and was quick to hand Lady Toledo hers before turning to Sarah.

"Such harmless thoughts will fill the time until you feel better or Lord Toledo comes and finds you."

"And it is 'eggs in one basket' but the meaning is the same."

"Ah but the current crop does not seem to change much and that is most unfortunate ...."

"Shall I tell you a tale then of my family ...

My Father died ten years ago and my Mother a year after him. My older brother Ralph then inherited but he died last year which made my sister Frances and I co-heirs of Father's Estates. She married a man called George Hamilton who is a son of the Scottish Earl of Abercorn. Now George was very much a man of Court and well liked by King Charles and it was even said that he wanted to marry Frances Stewart but that idea was quickly given up as she was marked out for The King. Soon after he meet my sister and the King so approved of the match that he gave then a pension of 500 pounds. George was sent to France during the War and made Comté Hamilton. My sister went as well and after some time they returned back here. Now George is heavily favored by his Relatives - they are the famous Butler dynasty of Ireland through his Mother who was also the sister to James Butler, the Duke of Ormande."

Paused to draw a breath.

"When my sister's husband died two years ago The King allowed that pension to continue and then she was created Baroness Rosse and Countess of Bantry for Life. They are Irish but Titles none the less. So she has not suffered unduly and I suspect that she has caught the eye of another Gentleman and might well remarry. She has two daughters the eldest Elizabeth is eleven now."

"And as for me, well, I am under the Duke of York's protection and I suppose that it will be the Duchess that will agree to my own marriage but the Duke will have final say. So it would be seemingly to marry Churchill as we both are in that Household."

"I think that John Churchill is immune to that emotion Lady Toledo. Jealousy is not an emotion I have ever seen on him. If he knows it he hides it well."

"I suppose that I could seek out my Ormande connections and see what lies hidden   ......"

"Look  ... see you  .... that Lady all in black standing next to the Gentleman wearing that awful shade of Green. Do you know what that color is called?"

"Goose turd Green."

She gave a rather saucy grin and took a sip from her goblet liking the taste of the wine.

The Impromptu Roast of Rochester

James let out a laugh at Rochester’s barbs, although he made an attempt to stifle it when they turned on the (apparent?) attraction between Dorset and Lady Cambray, hiding it behind a sip of wine. He was not so libertine – or at least, not so intoxicated – as to join in on such a topic, with two he had met only recently. It was far more the earl’s style, at any rate, and despite the man’s obvious arrogance, the Irish poet – again – felt there was something to be gleaned from it.

After all, bravado was not such a limited resource that James O’Neill was not still thinking that he would one day surpass the Merry Gang in esteem – and the more boring authors such as Dryden, too.

“For my part, I compose largely in the Alexandrine and sonnet, and of late an epic,” he added, after Rochester’s metaphorical explanation. “Quality over quantity, as they say – and a long, slow, steady beat besides.” As if in demonstration of the aforementioned bravado, his smirk returned. “Such may be the luxury of the young and energetic, however.”

Lady Cambray – once done correcting and Dorset both seemed to join in the scheme to goad Rochester into a challenge, while an amused Sedley provided commentary. An amused snort followed Dorset’s jape about mating rituals, and James joined in with a titter, “Ha! I’ve stated already my preference for the epic, my lord. I daresay that the good Earl of Rochester hasn’t the patience for such a venture.”

It was an entertaining notion, in truth. Anne-Elisabeth seemed to be Dorset’s, but Rochester – well, it was a pity there were so many rumors about the pox. Bold women and arrogant, artistic men were to be prized.

“As to my lord’s rant,” he paused, grinning at Sedley. “I can only say with certainty that I have heard none of his work at all, only read what little has been made available for the masses.” And adored it, A Satyr Against Reason and Mankind being among his all-time favorites, but he would not give the earl that. “Curiously, the opposite seems to be true with regards to my work. I suppose that my poor, deprived grandchildren will only be told stories of how their grandfather and a…bloody colonial woman silenced the great Rochester.”

Edited by James O`Neill

Beverley and Athenry

Athenry waved off the other viscount’s apology with a slow flick of his cane-hand, concern over Pembroke indeed being a quite reasonable emotion to feel and express, quietly dismissing it further, “Think nothing of it, given the subject in question.” It was not politic to loudly express such sentiments about one’s relations, but Beverley knew him better than any at court, being privy to nearly everything about him save for the unique situation of his marriage and the depths of his involvement with the Jesuits and the French. “As far as the lion goes…”

He paused, faux-dramatically, and cracked a morbid smile. His voice remained low as he gossiped, “I think our friend the Earl rather prefers a fight too much. The lion in question, big as it is –“ For the menagerie was of particular interest to the scholarly Catholic, a rather boyish bit of entertainment. “– is a rather impersonal means of dispatching a foe.”

Athenry gave a nod at Beverley’s brief explanation of the relationship between Susan Herbert and his wife, face growing briefly serious. “I have something to discuss with you regarding that, but not here,” he confessed, grateful that the conversation soon turned to happier subjects. “Sprat, certainly, is a fine conversational partner, and a good man besides.” They both understood each other and what wasn’t being said, the unspoken ’for a Protestant’. “He, Lord Chichester, and myself have taken to holding informal discussions on a number of subjects. If I could but convince Her Grace of the merits of becoming a salonnière…”

Not that it was the primary matter which he felt compelled to change her mind about.

And then even happier topics still came to the fore. “Ah, I had nearly forgotten!” He grinned at his friend, raising his glass as a salute. It was a milestone in a man’s life; presuming he could have a spare to go with the heir, Beverley would soon be free to go about other pursuits. “We may have to work on that escapade angle, however.” While no libertine, Cadell was also feeling more and more free, at least as the path forward made itself more clear.

“In all seriousness, my friend, congratulations again. My correspondence may have been insufficient to relay that.”

Davina Finds Darlene

After leaving Charles she wandered the room and it was by sheer chance that she encountered Lady Oakham.

Well! The very person I am looking for. I have just be in conversation with Charles .....  Major Langdon I mean  ....  and he wondered if You would be here and I asked if he would pass on a message if he saw you."

"May I join you? My but you look a vision - is that a new trend perhaps? However did you think of such a thing?"

She referred to the ship that rode the elaborate hairstyle that the Viscountess was sporting.

Her smile gave nothing away even as she was struggling not to laugh at the whole composition. 

Davina Finds Darlene

By the grace of god Darlene was able to sup some few generous mouthfuls of staying spirit while imaging CW was nowhere close about. Her gaze instead swept about the room looking for familiar faces. There were less familiar that she's have thought.  'Though look, there is Heathers ill-fated flame.' Their eyes momentarily locked, his strikingly blue (the sort that cause a shiver), and Darlene relayed a smile and a nod, before taking another sip to wash thoughts away.  

'I hope this is not watered down' Darlene privately thought, while then spotting Burgoyne and Churchill.  But that sort of game hardly appealed to her at the moment.

She took another sip still. 

"Oh Mistress Wellesley." Darlene remarked concealing her surprise, but then appreciating the cattish remark the others greeting went on to add, "So they let you out did they?"

Meanwhile she touched her carefully designed coiffure. "You might not know that my brother died a patriot in His Majesties navy. It is one of the foremost of my charities." Which was all entirely true, in '77 Darlene had even erected a statue at the London Docks to the memory of the English Fathers, Sons and Brothers that never returned. 

"Oh but why would you think Lord Langdon might be seeing me. I can assure you it is the very opposite to my own desire. Still, do tell me what you wished to see me about?"  

Rupert and Kingston

"I doubt there is anything I ship which will aid in the process of making the cannon, Your Highness, but if there is something I can bring in from elsewhere at a cheaper price that would help the process, you need only ask and I would direct my men to purchase it in our next shipment. If it is a secret ingredient, I will make certain nobody knows what or who it is for."

Appreciating the offer, the older man gave it some thought.  "Take some war profiteers to Russia.  It is far enough away."  It was as close to humor as he could manage these days.

"Russia has been experimenting with new weapons that I should like to study.  They have something called a soil gun," he began.

"They dig a pit, surround it with ropes and boards, place a wooden shield full of stones or explosives, fill the pit with gunpowder and went it is fired, the shield rises and spreads a swarm of small explosives upon an area of enemy.  I have heard it described but would like to see a diagram or witness one in action.  I wonder if one can use a wide sawed off cannon to shoot projectiles that dispense projectiles.  It should work but I am interested in all manner of warfare.  It is more an infantry weapon, but perhaps it would be a way to clear an enemy deck with projectiles in a single go.  I suspect that it could be used only at very short range.""

Louis Enters

He had found his quarters in the castle and Thomas had unpacked his things with the assistance of his African maid, who would be left to maintain the room and the comfort of the lord that resided therein.  Caite had been left in London.

The first task was to dispense with the wine and send the servant to fetch brandy.  Just because one was in the countryside did not mean that one's taste had to be compromised to standard fare.

As he awaited his brandy, his eyes searched the crowd.  Rupert was occupied with Kingston.  A gaggle of Scots seemed to be holding Mountjoy hostage.  The Cavendishes were together, which caused his eyes to search for the Howards.  He needed to speak with Norfolk.  Margetha needed a husband and the Duke had an illegitimate son.

Hardwick was present.  Louis expected to catch-up with the Earl later.  Finch was speaking with the Archbishop, and young Hen was nowhere in sight.

The lanky Scot was present and with ... was that Brigette?  She was dressed to gain attention no doubt.  As such, he should need to avoid her except in private.  The less they were linked, the better.  She would seek him out unfortunately, but he was ready.

His eye caught Darlene.  She was a magnificent creature to be sure.  They had spent a great deal of time together but they had avoided each other of late.  Last season, Lisa had been at court, and satisfied his carnal cravings.  She was no longer at his side, which made the Earl's mind wander.  She was in the company of Davina, a woman whose court life had seemed over; yet, there she was.

Finally he looked about for his brother-in-law the Duke of Somerset.  He hoped the man had arrived in time.

Charles Needing to Retreat

His eyes caught the arrival of Darlene.  How could he miss her?  She was by herself and she did not see him.  That allowed Charles to observe her without fear of her thinking him stalking her.  He had schooled himself to remain aloof for a span of days and then happen upon her in private at the appropriate time.

His eyes next found Fiona.  She looked his way and had mischief in her eyes.  He knew that look.  It would not be long before the two of them were going at it in some dark and hidden place ... unless Cat or Douglas were watching over her.  Charles did feel guilty about that.  Maybe he should just end things and move on.  It was far too risky, though an excellent diversion.  He offered her a smile and then looked away.

His attention was interrupted by the arrival of a servant with a note.  It was from Susan.  He had missed seeing her.  "Tell the lady that the chapel in ten minutes would be a good time for prayer."  He needed to see her immediately but they could not be seen as leaving immediately.  Charles hoped that the crowd would become large enough in a few minutes that no one would miss either of them.  It would give them needed privacy in St. Georges Chapel.

As the servant moved away, the Earl's stomach churned.  Davina had approached   Darlene! Blazing Cannons!  He wanted to leave immediately; but, much like someone about to watch a horrible accident beginning to happen could not look away, Charles' gaze transfixed.  Please ... God spoke his inner voice, only loosely causing his lips to tremble with a wordless prayer.  It was not a wish for something, but more a protection from the wrath of a feminine storm of sorts.

Davina and Darlene

"But of course. I was not the only one to be taken in and it was all to prove a point. Such was the meaning that 'those who gossip' might well end up there permanently."

The lie was told easily enough and with the proper seriousness yet her smile that came afterward might well dispel it as fact.

"I think it a very nice thing to do Lady Oakham. I am sure he would have been very Proud and naturally I have heard of your Charity."

"Well he and are are friends for some years now and I have just heard of the friendship between he and your late husband.Tis a marvelous thing to have someone that will watch over you and see you are kept well."

"I think it a noble act indeed and a side of him that I have never seen before."

"Well Charles ... Lord Langdon ... gave the impression that you two are close and he wondered if you would come to Windsor. So I asked him to deliver a message if he should see you before I did."

Davina could hardly bring up that awful Sedley and besides if Charles and Darlene were at odds still it was best she did not come in between.

"And so I was fortunate to find you. Do you wish you hear what I have to ask?"

Davina and Darlene

Though Darlene was hardly going to hammer on about that, she had after all spent her share of time in The Tower. "Theirs is indeed an expansive guestbook…”  she was content to move on.

The still unmarried Davina did seem put back into her place, while Darlene’s fashion statement and not been meant to go unnoticed any way.

“I ought to have invited you to the unveiling and memorial service.  How is it we have both been at Court for so many years, but have barely till now become friends.”  

Alas the Topic of CW continued, Darlenes lashes fluttered as she felt surprise learning that Mistress Wellesley was also a long term friend of Charles.   “Oh, he never said.” Darlene had no reason to hold her tongue on such a topic now, her tone showed some miff.  “While I do not know it was fortune for me at all, I more recently discovered him to be a horridly secretive man. As your revelation now puts to proof.  My dear Thomas, the late Lord Oakham, was probably rolling in his grave at having made such a large misjudgement to Langdon’s character.”

Darlene emptied the remains of her glass. It felt good actually, to speak some truths.  

While Davina commented of it being a side of Charles she not previously seen.

“Sometimes you can know someone for years and not realise the whole of them. I dare say that is the benefit of we ladies sharing our hard won intel.”

Collecting another glass from still handy tray, Darlene also passed one to her companion.  “Suffice to say don’t honour him with any messages intended for me, they are just as likly to be uttered to a dozen other pillows, and not a one of them mine." 

A tingle sensation at her neck alerted her she was being watched, and prompted Darlene head to turn, to see whom looked?  It was Charles himself.  Turning back to Davina, her face a tad paler, she asked, “What is it you have to share, how might I help?”    

Charles and Henrietta joined by Henry

His answer had been transparently evasive, Charles knew, but Henrietta seemed thankfully disinclined to inquire any further. He felt a surge of affection for her and her unspoken understanding, almost surprising him in its intensity. She really was a gem, he thought fondly. His smile settled on his face, achieving something more reminiscent of its usual self.

"You may well be the only person in all the wide circle of the world to think me kind at all, Selene, let alone too kind," he told her, admiring her curtsy. Wodehouse had been right, Charles decided. A playful conversation with his Selene would serve to clear away that dreadful malaise afflicting him and allow him to approach his problems with fresh energy.

Naturally, that was when they were interrupted by the sound of a throat being cleared.

Charles felt his temper well up volcanically at the interruption and swallowed it back down with an effort before he turned to greet the interloper.

Control, Charles, control he chided himself. Anger was a resource to be stored and released for maximum effect, not immediately and pointlessly squandered. Besides, he knew this man, he realised, and quite liked him. Thinner and considerably better tailored than when last they had spoken, but this was surely Lord Grey.

And I cannot blame an astronomer for being drawn to Selene, can I?

"Lord Grey!" he greeted, inclining his head. "It has been too long sir. A pleasure to see you return to court." 

Davina and Darlene

"It seems that you have forgot about our time spent on that Pirate Ship and all that happened  ......."

"While we two have not be exactly cosy we are hardly strangers."

If she was at all taken back by the others manner regarding Lord Langdon she hid it well. That Darlene complained about him made her think that the rift was still much ongoing so she would avoid the topic for now. That she found him 'secretive' also gave her pause as did how she thought he late husband would be unhappy. There was obviously much more going on between those two than some little tiff. 

She watched with interest as the other took up another goblet and then took the one offered to her. She nearly chocked on the liquid as Darlene then made a statement that how messages would be uttered thru 'pillow talk' - was she saying that she and ..... no that could not possible be the case ....... could it? Were the two of them lovers? It must be that for how else was she to take the meaning of pillows being shared with other women but not her? Or maybe it was that Darlene herself was jealous of those other women and wished it for herself as well?

She saw the head turn and followed the gaze to .... Charles.

She was quick to look away and took a large sip of her wine. She knew that he had other women - one in particular - but she had never put any faces to them until now. And then the penny dropped. He had said they quarreled over Sedley and that Darlene wanted her to Marry the girl but was she upset by that and had imagined herself married to him? And also that Darlene resided at Dorchester House a place that he ran.

What was actually going on here   ......

Darlene's voice called her back to the present. She smiled as if nothing else was in her mind.

"I have a new appointment. Here at Windsor. Since Her Majesty was with child there was hardly anything on that side so some of us searched about for other things to occupy. Prince Rupert has asked me to assist him in his plans to re-design the Gardens here into something more 'pleasing to the eye."

"I am titled as "Lady of The Gardens" and have at my disposal all the staff that will be needed. His Highness has also said that I might recruit one or two Ladies that I think might well be able to assist me."

"And I thought of You. The Garden Society has been your idea since a few Seasons ago and I was hoping that it may be revived this one."

"There are no monies involved I am afraid and whoever participates has to understand that His Highness has the absolute final say. Ideas will be submitted over the course of the time frame which I do not know at present. I will meet with His Highness at some point but I want to be prepared on my end so we will not be delayed by me having to search out for any that wish to join."

"Are you interested? Even having heard all I have said?"

How very conniving her little story sounded. It was indeed a very believable Lie.

D&D

"Well you are a clever one Mistress Wellesley, to have be rewarded so highly.  Such a title as that." Darlene was an emotional creature even a the best of times, and she was frankly near to tears now.  "I had no idea such a role existed, if I had it would have been my highest wish.  Congratulations, Davina."

It was kind of Davina to acknowledge her own interest in gardens, with mention of the Garden society she'd formed so long ago.  It had been around the same time as the Memorial Garden had been built for the late Queen Catherine. It all seemed such a long time ago now.  The pirate escapade too. So so long ago. Where had time gone, and for what.

"I am sorry, you have caught be off guard." What with her disappointment of Charles, and now this. If Davina was of lesser character Darlene might even have suspect that the news was a deliberate rubbing in of salt.

Partaking in a gulped drink Lady Oakham tried to recompose herself. 

"I trust you shall understand if I wish to find fresh fields to work in, so to speak.  Though I certainly wish you every success, and shall recommend you to the other ladies who share the interest. It is a pity that Lady Lismire is rarely about these days, she is quite the design enthusiast... should you want a sounding board meanwhile I am entirely at your disposal."

"I need put aside my past interests you see, none of them have gotten me anywhere.  But instead, something else.  In fact, what would you recommend to me Mistress Wellesley?  You have always been so achieved, so that your advice must be worth its weight."   

D&D

Clearly there was more at play here. Was it due to Charles' presence or was she being overly Melancholic?

"Cleverness has no part in it at all. I was merely bored on the Queen's side and so sought out other things as I said."

"Well I had no idea of it either and I am sure His Highness must have pressed Lord Beverly to come up with it - and he already in such disorder with lodging complaints."

She could see that Darlene would soon lose her composure so she was trying to make light of things.

"Perhaps it shall be a 'yearly' title and if so I shall happily put your name forward to His Highness."

It was too crowed where they stood so she leaned in to whisper to the other saying that they should find a place to sit - this was by way of allowing the other to compose herself without being the focus of everyone. It was a kindness that Davina hoped the other would agree.

"For your questions which are of a personal nature by answer it will better suit my replies."

There were several areas set apart for sitting and some occupied but she spotted two chairs set against a wall and it would be to those that she would direct them towards.

Sarah and Sophia, who waves to Darlene and Davina

Sophia exchanged her empty glass for the full one a servant handed her. Though she didn’t need to worry about getting drunk on fruit juice, she still needed to be careful not to drink too much. With the baby’s tendency to pummel her bladder, she would rather it not get so full she would have to rush to the loo before she peed on the floor. Oh, the joys of pregnancy!

She listened to Sarah’s tale about her family until she noticed Darlene enter the reception. Sophia could hardly wait to scheme with her again on activities for courtiers to participate in at Windsor. Her newest friend had the most amazing ideas and the young blonde envied her creativity. One day, she hoped that some of that brilliance would rub off on her.

Davina joined Darlene. She was another lady whom Sophia would like to catch up with. The Spanish Countess had heard that she had been thrown into the Tower at the end of last season and was no longer serving the Queen. She knew that Mistress Wellsley was frustrated by her inability to conform to English ways, but she still considered her a friend and had been quite worried about her.  She smiled and waved to both of them, hoping that they would see her.

Sophia had believed that Sarah was telling her her life story to entertain her, but there was a point to it, and that point was that it would be advantageous to the Duke and Duchess of York for her to marry John Churchill. The idea did make sense but she doubted that York was smart enough to think of it. The Duchess, however, was, and not just because she was Italian and enjoyed opera. She had given Sophia some excellent advice when they had met during the Christmas season. Now that I am thinking of converting to Catholicism, I wonder if she would advise me about that too if I can contrive an audience with her. Maybe Sarah would be able to help her arrange one.

Her contemplation was diverted when her friend pointed out a gentleman who was wearing a revolting color. Judging by the pattering she felt beneath her skin, the baby wasn’t fond of it either.

“It is rather disgusting.” Sophia tilted her head to the side. “Are goose turds really green?”

Douglas and Bridget

His hand was so much larger than hers, and so very warm. Bridget’s entire arm began to tingle when Lord Dundarg’s lips brushed lightly across her knuckles. And his eyes were such a stunning shade of blue. Pleasant and exciting sensations stirred within her nubile young body. She had felt something similar with Louis, but these lovely ripples were different, though she wasn’t sure how. What she did know was that she enjoyed them immensely.

“Oooooh!” Her eyes widened. Like many young imaginative ladies, she had a romanticized view of bandits, as well as pirates. Bridget envisioned the dashing Lord Dundarg in his scarlet uniform sweeping in and defeating them single-handed like the hero in a novel, even though he mentioned that there were others with him. “I bet they never stood a chance,” she whispered in awe.

“Had you told me about seal hunting last Christmas, I would have been horrified, but I stayed with my uncle during recess. My cousin Arabella is an avid hunter and I went with her a few times and discovered that I liked it. She taught me to use a bow, but I confess I am not very adept at it. I hope to find somebody who will be willing to teach me more.”

Bridget laughed, a bright airy sound. “Oh, your life is much more exciting than mine, my lord. I don’t want to bore you with my singing and dancing lessons or descriptions of my embroidery. I did ride and explore a lot and once found the ruins of a building in the woods. I discovered an old pendant in the dirt and took it to a jeweler to have it cleaned up. I didn’t expect much, but …” She touched the pendant on a golden chain around her neck. The teardrop sapphire was surrounded by tiny diamonds and set in golden filigree. “Here it is.  The jeweler said it was very old.  He put up a drawing in his shop but nobody claimed it so now it's mine."

The young blonde smiled. “I do hope to do some riding and exploring this season. I brought my horse with me. Maybe there are more treasures just waiting to be found.”

The Roasting Continues

Anne-Elisabeth refused to rise to Rochester’s bait. “Of course he does,” she replied to his comment about Dorset’s taste for busty blondes. “Most men do. Lord Dorset seems to me like the kind of gentlemen who, like yourself, prefers the exotic … and it doesn’t get much hotter, sultrier, or spicier than the Caribbean.” She flashed Dorset a saucy smile, which turned wicked when she addressed Rochester again. “It’s too bad you’ll never experience those sizzling delights yourself.”

By this time, even Master O’Neill probably suspected that she and Dorset were lovers, and there was no reason to hide it. She didn’t dignify Rochester awful poem about her homeland with a reply, but instead focused on the Irishman’s explanation of his writing preferences. Anne-Elisabeth chuckled at his joke at Rochester’s expense as her eyes roamed around the room.  It looked as if Lord Grey had returned to court and his ensemble was quite striking ... and in the colors she had told him would look good on him.

Master O'Neill had a great comeback to Dorset’s comment about mating rituals as well. As he was newer to the Merry Gang than she was, she let him have his moment. Her turn came with Rochester’s remark about washing up for sex. “So Lord Dorset was right about your intentions. Sorry, but you don’t have the stamina nor the ingenuity to keep up with me. Even if your cock isn’t as withered as your wit, I doubt you could find the right hole.”

Master O’Neill’s reply to Sedley was yet another blow to Rochester’s ego. “I have heard nothing he has composed either.  And now I know why he maligns the Caribbean:

For someone who dares to proclaim

That his works have brought him great fame

Over oceans so blue

They ask ‘Rochester who?”

If anyone mentions his name.”

Anne-Elisabeth grinned at Master O’Neill. “I think we all know why he won’t accept Lord Dorset’s challenge:

“He refuses a poetry game

For he knows it will just bring him shame.

If he competed,

He would be defeated

By either an Irishman or a dame.”

Edited by Anne-Elisabeth Devereux

Rupert & Kingston

Kingston snorted at the thought of sending the greedy profiteers to Russia, which was further than even he had been, or any of his ships. Such a trip would likely take an entire year with a high likelihood of never returning with a lack of knowledge of the shipping routes and opportunities for piracy. 

"I think it highly likely that some carefully dropped conversations that others could overhear would result in many fruitless excursions to various far-off places for the greediest of merchants. I am well-versed in navigating the watering holes and coffee-houses of the ports, as is Sir George. That is an intrigue I could understand if you truly wish it," Francis replied, speaking of George Legge, who Cumberland was also familiar with. Of course, he needn't mention whore-houses, because it went without saying that ports were full of those.

"As to the Russian plans, I confess we've never gone so far as to be useful for that particular information. However, I do have connections for trade with the Turks, who do far more business with that end of the world and also have their own valuable knowledge. In the interim, perhaps it is a matter of testing what Your Highness has already heard in regard to the mechanics of it; I am sure I could find an enterprising scholar at Cambridge with an interest in pyrotechnics. I keep a closer relationship with the university than my predecessor." 

Beverley and Athenry

"I can certainly find privacy in Windsor despite it being in short supply. It is one benefit of living here much of the time court is recessed. My master does not travel as much as in times past, so he spends much of his time here and I with him. I know it far better than these other courtiers," Beverley offered so far as a more private conversation.

The viscount considered his friends thoughts about developing a salon. "Her Majesty is actually fiercely  intelligent and interested in such matters more than many ladies. The Lady Dorothea, who is the sister of another German prince, is as well. You may find more fruitful ground there. The Queen had such a gathering over biblical verses and it is but a small stretch to, erm, more cosmopolitan topics. She has an interest in trade, for example. I do not know Lady Dorothea well, but she is oft about; it seems that Lord Kingston keeps company with her, sometimes playing Latrones, which given the writings about him of late, is surprising. Do you know him? He might be able to effect an audience, though I am not sure keeping his company is wise at large."

Beverley had noticed that neither the King nor the Queen seemed very bothered by the rumors about Kingston, but he did know that many were very consumed with gossiping about it and he had heard many a young lady cautioned away from the cherubic-looking blond. The newly-made earl was a topic among the Windsor arrivals and not in a good way. 

"Ah, and he is speaking with His Highness right now..." Beverley trailed off, a small furrow on his brow. The prince seemed to enjoy the blond's company historically and such still seemed to be true. He did not understand it. Being of one of the oldest families in the land, the viscount was not fond of upstarts. It did not cross his mind that his good friend standing next to him could be put in that category as well, because Athenry was his friend and he was happy for his good fortune.

He waved off the congratulations with a soft blush and returned his gaze to his friend, "My lord father cannot complain as much of my freedom to do with my time as I would, and he can hardly treat me like a boy anymore. That is freedom enough. Perhaps there will be some travel once I beget another, or once my little lord is older."

Henrietta, Charles, and Henry

At Henry clearing his throat, both Lady Henrietta and Lord Chatham turned towards him. Is there a future alliance between Ormonde and Chatham in the works, I wonder? If so, I would be very happy for both of them. Lord Chatham seems to be a ship that has been battered by rough seas, and Lady Henrietta could be his safe port. The baron smiled at the thought. If those two were to marry, he would send the best gift he could come up with. Something he would be thought fondly of.

I must meet with Lady Lucas as soon as practicable. Lord Grey needed to find a bride for himself too, and quickly, or so he thought.

“Lady Henrietta, honoured to meet you again”. Lord Grey bowed formally and kissed a hand, if offered. His movements seemed more agile, less lethargic than when they had met first. It was also apparent that he had lost some weight. His daily constitutionals seemed to be having an effect on his energy level. Not only that, but the astronomer had also noticed that he could focus on his work for longer periods when he exercised, even if lightly.

“Lord Chatham, a pleasure”, Henry said with another formal bow. “Pardon my intrusion, but of the few people I know at court, you two are the ones I wanted to greet first”. The lady and lord in front of him had keen intellects both, and the baron felt at ease in their company. Yet, if he had but known the relationship between them, he would have not dared approach. He would not remain long, just in case.

“I must make it a point to be introduced to more people”, he said to no one in particular. Then realizing that he was in company, he added, “I hope recess treated you and your respective families kindly?”

D&D , looking for diverting company

As one with 'challenged attention span', Darlene could empathise with Davina’s claim of boredom in the Queens service.  Further, Davina seemed apologetic even at the enviable role she had gained. “Oh you dear, why I am already starting to come to terms with it.  Do you think it might really be an annual thing? In that case I ought to keep my best foot forward then… yes I shall help you.  Though I might conserve my best ideas for next year.” She was able to smile again and even tease.

Across the way her friend Sophia waved, and Darlene was pleased to return the gesture.  Not so far from Sophia was Louis, to whom Darlene gave a nod. They had dallied together for a time some while back, why had that ended again, had she grown bored of him perhaps?

“But you are right, we must speak of such serious as the future in private. Oh but not now, we ought to make the most of the opportunity to mingle… shall we unite in the Gardens for a tour of our domain tomorrow?  In the morning I think, before the rest of the day thrusts upon us.  There shall probably be activities for courtiers and such that we might attend – but mornings are usually safe from that.”

“But for now, who shall we happen upon, we must be quick for I see Lady Toledo is trapped by the dull Mistress Sarah, and if we linger here for much longer I shall feel compelled to go over to try save her – and in likelihood we shall also become trapped in her web of boredom.  

“Quick, who else might do you see that looks approachable!?”

Douglas and Bridget

It was always gratifying to a gentleman to know that his tale had been well received by a lady, and as he had hoped, Bridget seemed appreciative of his efforts against the bandits. I bet they never stood a chance, the words warmed him.

His knowledge of Scottish nobility was much better than his recall of the English, and after a moment Douglas placed ‘Arabella’ as most probably Arabella Bertie, Bridget’s cousin on her mother’s side and daughter of the Earl of Linsey, rather than say Arabella Churchill, whom he’d actually seen about court. It just emphasised that, whatever her father’s disgrace, Bridget really was very well bred and from a well connected family in Scotland. In his mind that was more important, though he did wonder whether her father had accumulated as much debt as rumours held.

Right now he was more interested in hearing about her new interest, quite oddly pleased that she’d found an enjoyment of hunting as it was something he appreciated himself. “Did she aye?” He asked, interested. “Whit did ye hunt?” If they were using bows, perhaps something like ducks or pigeons. “My sister Lairdy Alyth is guid wi’ a bow.” And might be willing to teach her. He suspected that Bridget might appreciate the company of another Scottish woman. “I prefer powder weapons m’sel; I cuid teach ye tae use a pistol if’t interests ye.”*  

Singing and dancing lessons, and embroidery. All the things a proper young lady should know. “Ye wuid ne’er bore me.” He assured her. “Haps one dae ye micht honour me wi' a dance.”** There would surely be at least one Ball this season.

Her time hadn’t been all lessons and propriety though, as she related the tale of how she’d found a ruined building in the woods and discovered a pendant in the dirt there, showing him the necklace she wore. Assuming she spoke true it was an impressive find; it was also an excellent excuse to lean in and get a good look at her cleavage whilst he examined the jewellery. “Tha’s beautiful, an’ t’suits yer een.” Most people found bits of clay pot and rubble around such buildings; curious that such a treasure had lain hidden for so long. And it seemed that had given her a taste for treasure hunting, as she expressed the desire to go riding and exploring. “I kin offer the protection o’ this partic’lar Life Guard, if ye do want tae gie oot.” He said with a smile. "Haps wi' a couple o' friends?"***

He was pretty certain there would be plenty intrigued by the idea of treasure, and whilst Douglas doubted they'd find anything, it would be good to have a chance to speak with Bridget further.

Subtitles
* "Did she indeed? What did you hunt? My sister Lady Alyth is good with a bow. I prefer powder weapons myself; I could teach you to use a pistol if it interests you."
** You would never bore me. Perhaps one day you micht honour me with a dance."
*** "That's beautiful, and it suits you. I can offer the protection of this particular Life Guard, if you do want to go out. Perhaps with a couple of friends?"

Edited by Douglas FitzJames

Buckingham & Nicci

The Duke of Buckingham was never one for arriving early. It was better to make an entrance. 

His opulent costume was light blue and gold with decadently embroidered cuffs. His shoes flashed with sapphire-accented buckles that matched a large sapphire and diamond ring on his finger. The most beauteous decoration, though, was no decoration at all but rather the incomparable Nicolette Vauquelin.

"Shall we see who we attract, my dear?" he asked her with a mischievous smile. "Or have you something in mind?"