JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Opening Reception

Prince Rupert

Buckingham, Nicci, and Basildon

Buckingham chuckled at her declaration and said, "Not so, for you are my friend." It was a very different distinction in his mind. He preferred keeping friends. Creatures were only useful in certain situations and could never totally be trusted. Even Leighton, who managed his network of spies, was his friend. A close one at that. He did not give his friendship lightly but when he did, he was a powerful friend. 

As to the reception, he smiled, "Meddling is always an amusing option."

He nodded along with her ideas, blond locks of his periwig floating along with the action. "Court mustn't become too boring," he agreed. "His Majesty would not like that, though I am not sure the here and the now the place for such a declaration." He blue eyes cast over to the aging Cumberland again. It gave him pains to realize that Ru being older meant that he was, as well. When George was a boy, Rupert had been the most dashing prince; they had all looked up to his gang of cavaliers...teenagers running wild. "While I am not opposed to attempting the theft of Cumberland's reception, for while he finds me as mercurial and capricious as I find him stalwart and bordering on fuddy-duddy, he does have favor for Francis. Not to mention my sister. With my current rise in favor with His Majesty, I do not wish to be a source of complaints. The King has little patience for those close to him pestering him over each other. We will make our own moment," he added. "We do not require lead-ins from Cumberland to achieve a stage for such declarations."

That he paused to give one jot over how his actions influenced Kingston was telling. He had never had a reason to do so before, but give a man a hint of legacy and it altered him some. It did for the King as well. With the current rumors and talk, Francis needed powerful non-relatives to keep his company. 

It was then that Basildon arrived with his pretty bow and pretty things. The  man did make a handsome figure. "Ahh, Basildon. I hope your time away from court proved fruitful as well?" 

He chuckled, "We have made considerable plans and you have caught us in the midst of making more. Or rather, your cousin was just telling me her own desires for breaking the monotony of Windsor." He looked at her expectantly to fill in the gap.

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Francis & Rupert

Francis doubted the Russians could offer them something more than the French, who His Majesty seemed to be leaning more favor toward after the attempts on his life by the Dutch, but he would be interested to hear what financial inducements might be offered for such an alliance. Or for a pledge of simply remaining uninvolved in such continental affairs. Lack of involvement, he had learned, could be lucrative on its own!

"Indeed, although do not fault me for hoping for English as imagining a Russian accent attempting German...he might be entirely undiscernible! At least for me. Neither conversing with Lady Toledo nor Lady Dorothea has left me with perfect German, although I've hopefully left behind the likelihood of saying something entirely ridiculous by accident."

The talk of a trading company, or some form of conglomerate of multiple investors, made Francis raise an eyebrow. "Aside from potential military acquisitions and knowledge, what are you thoughts on the soundness of such a venture? Do they have a taste for tobacco like my connections amongst the Turks? Enumerated goods are costly and thus risky to ship long distances in my experience without a promise of a high price at their destination."  Around Italy was the furthest he had taken them. Paying tax and shipping them first back to England before going elsewhere was costly in time and coin.

Mountjoy and Eleanor

“Obvious? No. I would not categorize your manner as obvious… more so familiar and reminiscent of my own first appearance at court. It is an inevitable reaction really that effects everyone.” He said kindly not wishing to appear that he was being rude. No matter how exhaustive were Aunties lectures or how thorough Governesses’ lessons the reaction is the same but rest assured you will become jaded and board soon enough. Savor the wonder and novelty wile you can.” He smiled. “If I may be so bold as to offer advice so soon after such an informal introduction.”

When she introduced herself and mentioned her father a momentary look of concentration crossed Charles’ face as he searched his memory. He made it a point to know at least a little of all the peers of the Realm. “Ah. That would be of Sudbury in Suffolk and not Sudbury Hall in Derbyshire if I am not mistaken. Is Lord Bayning a sensible man who prefers the quietude of his estates rather than the hubbub of London for I do not recollect seeing him often in the Lords.”

Although it generally was not the thing to converse about oneself as he approached without a formal introduction, he risked appearing presumptuous by offering such details about himself that a proper introduction might have provided. “Lady Mountjoy, my wife…” he added unnecessarily “…is Mistress of the Robes to Her Majesty and I myself hold a position in the Queens Household as well as one in Government so my attendance at court and in London is expected.”

“You are too kind Mademoiselle.” He replied as she complimented him. “I have indeed been at court for several years yet think of myself as not so jaded as to be able to appreciate a bright fresh face at court. As to being fashionable I mush give all credit to my Tailor Mr. Dalliard. Hoare’s produce some fine gold and silver wire and Mr. Dalliard has some Flemish craftswomen that do excellent embroidery so I indulge my vanity in availing myself of their talent. I simply say “Mr. Dalliard, I shall be meeting the King and need a new coat. Make me look splendid.’  And he does the rest. I can only hope to do his creations justice.” He was getting perilously close to boasting. He did make the effort to always be well turned out and it was flattering when people noticed but one did not want to be seen as frivolous. He looked at her own embellishments. “Demonstratively you yourself appreciate such art and indeed demonstrate it in your own fashion.”  

He looked about and did not notice anyone anxiously peering at them. “Have you escaped your chaperone? Usually, they hover like a hawk least you pick up the wrong fork and you gain a reputation as the woman who could not tell the difference between an oyster and fish fork.” He chuckled. “I of course jest for we here are not so stifled by etiquette as is the French court.”

Mountjoy and Eleanor

The elegant gentleman was kind enough to suggest that everyone went through a certain degree of shock and wonder on their first attendance at court, and he had simply recognised the symptoms. Perhaps he was just being kind, but it was a comforting thought. Had he really been so new himself once? His confidence and the way he fit in so easily didn't seem to suggest it, but she would take him at his word. "I hope that I shall never become bored of it." She said quietly. "For a life with wonder in it is surely a happier one." Certainly she imagined that one day she would no longer feel the urge to stare like a country bumpkin, but she hoped that there would always be an appreciation for the finery and fancy about her. 

(OOC: shall we move this out of the main thread for now? I'll make a side thread.)

Darlene and Elizabeth

"Frances is always critical.  She is not happy when other people are happy.  She has no marriage prospects so she would ruin others," the elder sister opined uncharitably.  "If I was father, I would marry her to some foreign lord who would take her away from England so that she might come to miss it and her family as she should."
Darlene revealed what Frances warned.  "Foolishness.  It is quite the opposite.  Chris and your Lord L do not trust ladies.  They think we have no sense, wasting monies on fripperies with no care or sense.  They would never put us in harm's way because they would need to protect us.  They would lock us away while they go on grand adventures which are nothing more than daily delusions that they are protecting the realm, and their ladies, from every harm imaginable.  If they were believed, Windsor would be full of spies, assassins, thieves, kidnappers, rapists, and card cheats," she announced with a laugh.  "They do not listen to the real dangers that are whispered by the dead.  "Your Lord L would only place you in danger if he was convinced that he could rescue you like some helpless damsel.  Chris tells me he arrests anyone that looks crossed-eyed."  She laughed again at Lord Langdon's expense.  "Chris tells me he dreams of King Arthur and Merlin in Cornwall."  She shook her head in dismay and then thought better of it.  "Did he tell you that Pendragon's castle was haunted I wonder?  How great would that be if we might contact them?"  Now she was getting excited about speaking with spirits from English lore.

Now the topic switched back to the dice game.  "Who is this Baroness Ballaster?  I do not believe I know her.  Yes, Lady Beverley would be good.  She is young and open minded.  What about that young Duchess of Somerset?  She is a Queen's lady.  Do you know her?"  Darlene mentioned Elizabeth Dwight, causing her to pause to recall knowing her.  "A silly girl that would marry any man that said yes?  My brother told me of her over a dinner.  She made my sister Frances sound reasonable in comparison," she laughed again.

There was a nod towards  Eleanor.  " I do not know the lady at all."

Rupert and Francis

"I think Russian translates better to German," Rupert opined. "I only hope his English is better or he will find himself speaking with only a handful of courtiers here."

"The Hanse controlled the Baltic trade but I suppose there is a place for England in it.  They have lovely mink furs and they have a need for our cloth and manufactured goods.  Of course, the New World offers the same trade opportunities.  I would need to know more.  I do hope the emissary arrives soon."  His interest was less in trade than an exchange of scientific and military technology; but one needed money if one was to seek the latest technologies.

Frances Cavendish

She never had any intention of NOT coming here. She was no coward and besides she was actually the victim in all of this.

She had chosen her attire with care and her weight loss showed the narrowing of her waist to advantage in the precise cut and fit of her sage green brocade dress. She had seen that the cut of bodices was lower and so hers reflected that but it was not anything vulgar. Her brown hair was up and no curl to dangle over a shoulder as so many seemed to wear it these days. Citrine's and pearls were her decoration on her gown and in her hair. Lace was absent as well and her skirt were also fuller with the addition of another petticoat. She was a picture of Elegance.

Fully aware that ALL eyes were on her and then to Dorset made the tilt of her chin just a bit higher and her back even straighter than normal. She smiled and chatted with her assembled family manners and greeted those that came up - curious she supposed to see if she would crack under the pressure. She knew that Dorset was here and in the Company he always kept. The laughter from the group could clearly be heard but she did not once look in that direction. She caught her father looking at her every now and then but she only smiled but said nothing.

She sipped wine that she really didn't like or want but it gave her something to do with her hands. It would soon be long enough that she could leave and no one could say she ran away. Half turning to speak to a friendly acquaintance she gave a small shiver and had the oddest feeling that she was being watched ....... Her gaze traveled over the room but nothing seemed out off place. She was used to the stares by now but this feeling had been different. 

No one person caught her attention and so she just brushed it aside yet her gaze was watchful.

Charles and Henrietta

Lord Chatham laughed at her joke, but Henrietta wasn’t certain if it was because it was funny or absurd. She hoped for the former, but feared it was the latter.

“It is a scent that suits you,” she remarked. “Maybe he didn’t like my perfume.” A fetching shade of rose swept across her cheeks when he complimented her. She adored the nickname he had given her.  It was so much prettier than her real name. A bit embarrassed, she followed Lord Grey’s progress over to a lady who looked about his age. Perhaps he was interested in her romantically. “I don’t think the moon is all he admires.”

Turning back to Charles, she smiled. “Before we were pleasantly interrupted, I was trying to thank you for the puppy you sent me. She’s a handful, but she can be sweet when she wants to be.” Lizzie was so jealous that she had been given the offspring of one of the King’s spaniels.

Cat and Fiona

Fiona was a selfish and rebellious young lady, but she was not heartless. She understood Cat’s concerns and she didn’t want to worry her. She believed that her stalker was a commoner, but he could have disguised himself as a servant and was waiting for an opportunity to attack her.

It wasn’t her brother she wanted to see. She had hoped to make plans with Charles for this evening. To her knowledge, Cat was unaware of their relationship. Where was Charles anyway? Maybe his duties had called him away. Yet then Dougie would have gone too. She couldn’t believe he would leave without arranging an assignation. Maybe he would send her a note, although it would be hard to sneak out with all the extra security around their rented house.

It was true that Douglas would visit soon enough. Fiona didn’t look forward to telling him that somebody was trying to kill her, but he needed to know. Maybe it was better to get it over with than to keep dreading it.

She was surprised when Cat squeezed her hand. For once, she decided not to argue and squeezed her sister’s hand in return. “All right, Cat,” she concurred. “Let’s go home.”

Darlene and Elizabeth

Elizabeth seemed tired of her sisters despondent manner also, and had quite a lot to say about that matter.  “You don’t mean Scotland do you? Why they are practically barbarians up there.”  Darlene felt some satisfaction imaging Frances married off to some impossible to understand Scott. 

“Now you say it like that, I was fortunate to escape him was I not.  Your Chris is exactly like him, and so was my late Thomas to boot.   You’d not believe how bored I was when I was in Jamaica my darling, and he was off adventuring on the seas.”  Darlene’s mentioning this reminded her of Williams letter she had found, and what seemed to be a less than noble plan.  Spies and Intrigue.

“I don’t want to go to Cornwall any more, those mists mean naught to me.” Yes Charles had told her of the old sites, Darlene had been awed, and her eyes as bright as Elizabeth’s were now.  But no longer. Not now.  

“I don’t really know who she is.” Darlene blinked.  In ways Elizabeth was exactly like her younger sister. “Except that she is a pleasing conversationist, and ready for daring.” 

Darlene hoped she might see Victorine, so as to point her out to the Duchess.

“Oh no she is too young, is she even 12?” Darlene replied of Lucy, who was older than that, but did not act it.  “She is too alike Elizabeth Dwight, who as you say, lacks discernment and good judgment. They are not clever like us.  Why I can just imagine they might scream and start crying, with not even the sense to quietly faint so we can carry on.”

Keeping a discreet eye upon the new girl, Darlene murmured, “While we do not know her, He seems to be most welcoming.  Ought we approach, so we might remind him he is married.”     

Buckingham, Nicci, and Basildon

His words warmed, while he was a man of fashion to jest and prank, this was not frivolous talk.  Meeting his eyes she smiled gratitude and acceptance, for once lost of a reply, self conscious even, she murmured “That means so much to me.”

There was far more bravado once at the reception though -  well in Nicci’s mind, until The Duke reminded her who’s party this was.  “But of course, why even in France we have heard how particular the Prince of the Rhine is. I recall hearing of His letter of complaint regarding the order in which persons ascended the stairs.”*

“Pray that we do not inspire any such dedicated penmanship!”

It was in fact the first time that The Duke has spoken of his current raise in favour, and that it was something he was nurturing still.  (And the fact that this was Windsor did give Rupert some sway was worth keeping in mind.)   

Resisting looking at Cumberland at the same time as did the Duke, Nicci later looked and saw Francis there in conversation.  Knowing her friend suffering under bad rumours at the moment, she hoped that Rupert was not giving him some sort of ‘behave yourself or else’ lecture!

Fortune then had her Cousin arrive to greet the Duke, Nicci prettily curtsied to greet and welcome him too, laughing musically to add   “… it is true, why I was next about to propose a list of who is most likely’s.”

Louis was more the peacock than usual, which pleased his cousin.

* it was upon the occasion of CRs first wedding that Rupert took offense of the incorrect order people walked up the stairs.    

Davina and Young Stafford

She gave him a practiced smiled.

"Well we can talk freely here about anyone in this room as it is just 'gossip' and hardly threatening. And I am merely providing information for someone new to Court."

"So if you wish to know then simply ask. I am sure you must be curious ....."

"As for the secrecy - if you are to discuss anything of a Religious nature then tis far better to do so in the open without benefit of too many ears catching on."

"I hope that you take my meaning?"

"If the sun shines in the late morning and I am given some free time by Prince Rupert then let us arrange to meet there."

Here meeting with Lady Oakham was at nine - if it happened -  and she will have problem with ending it in order to meet Henry.

"We can stroll at leisure and if any are encountered then I can provide introductions. And I will answer any questions that you may have if I can".

"If you do not come ... . She gave a small shrug of one shoulder .... "We will try again."

She was fine remaining if he wished to have benefit of her knowledge of those about but had no issue with parting.

He was not without suspicion still and she would have to frame her words carefully. If he was there to seek her out for other purposes she supposes he would make that clear as well.

Darlene and Elizabeth

Darlene expressed dislike of the Scots for the first time and Elizabeth found it satisfying.  The Scots were often vulgar and uncouth to her.  The Irish and the Welsh were not much better.  They were lucky to have a civilized kingdom like England to rule over them; but, they were mostly ingrates who sought to rebel periodically against their own best interests, at least in her opinion.

"So Frances should marry a Scottish soldier?" she giggled.  She had been thinking about some German duchy instead, but the thought of her sister lost in the mists and bogs of Scotland for much of the year had an appeal.  "No, I should not wish that on a sister of mine.  It is dangerous to send someone sad to a place of further sadness.  It is cruel ... but amusing."

"Cornwall in the summer is a lovely place Darlene.  We could visit it together ... without visiting a certain estate.  Do not let a man ruin an entire region for you.  He does not need to know that we visited, and we could spite him to learn that we were there and never thought to call upon him," she offered as a way to cheer her friend.

"I had thought Lady Somerset older than that, but perhaps we give her more time."  Attention turned towards Eleanor and Darlene proposed to remind Blount that he was married.

"As if being married stops a man from ingratiating themselves to a young lady," the Duchess acknowledged ruefully.  "Let us wait until she is free of Mountjoy.  We can better advise her outside his presence.  The man is a lawyer," she whispered as if being a lawyer was a secret thing.  "Lawyers, I have found, rarely have a sense of humor and have no patience for anything not in their law books, such as the spirit world.  Best to keep such creatures at a distance until you have need of their services," she advised.

"Shall we go and have you say hello to mother and meet my other sister Margaret?  She is next in line to marry and is likely to be trouble for a man," she chuckled.  "She is a willful girl."

It seemed to Henry that Davina was sending him mixed messages, so he adopted a more formal demeanor. "Nothing religious," he acknowledged softly.

Looking around the gathering, Henry inquired "who is the blond gentleman with Prince Rupert?  What do you know of him?"  He meant the Earl of Kingston.

Murmurs and activity near the door indicate the King and Queen are about to arrive

Although the door remained empty, some of the courtiers near the door likely heard the arrival of the royal party coming down the outer hallway for murmurs started and some cleared away from the entrance.

It was impossible to conceal the noise that went along with the approach of the King and Queen, for they were accompanied by a trove of people, and His Majesty was not known for being a quiet man. 

Whispers of excitement began to move through the room that their Majesties were imminent!

(OOC - they haven't arrived and entered the room yet, but they're coming down the hallway and people nearest the door can hear this approach.)

Rupert and Francis

"Very true, it would be a very boring trip or one wrought with translators; I should think an emissary is only as useful as his command as the native language," Francis postulated. 

Francis nodded at the comment that the trade opportunities were similar to the New World. In which case, the risk and lengthy journey did not sound as tempting to Francis. His company was yet small, with only 4 ships. 

"Indeed, or else some misfortune must have befallen the journey." A blond eyebrow rose at the contemplation of the plethora of things that could happen. Few courtiers truly understood that level of risk. Ships could be easy prey when going further than across the channel in the typical trips English courtiers made by sea. Cumberland surely knew.

"Of more festive things, with His Majesty's naming of my ship not materializing because of the...activities...at the end of last season, I had thought of sponsoring a yacht race with a generous entry fee instead, whereby half the purse would go to the victor and half could go to a naval cause of Your Highnesses' choosing?" Francis had, of course, intended to share the attention of his ship naming with Cumberland to increase funding for naval ventures, and the opportunity had been lost to them both. 

Cat and Fiona

Cat nearly sagged in relief when Fiona agreed to leave.  She had been ready for a fight and had been looking for a space to steer her sister to so it would be a public show.  "Excellent.  Then let us...," she began as she directed them towards the door.  She noticed there seemed to be quite a bit of murmuring as they got closer.  Well, they wouldn't be going out if the King and Queen were coming in.  

"Daingead."

Scots Gaelic for Damn it

She followed his gaze.

"Ah. Sir Francis Kirke, Earl of Kingston. I have his acquaintance. Currently the brunt of a nasty Broadsheet that is 'questioning' his rather rapid rise here at Court. Utter foolishness. I do not understand it at all. But then maybe he has made an enemy or two here for that is not unusual but he is often in the company of Buckingham and THAT Gentleman knows everything both in London and at Court. So whoever is behind it had best be careful if the Duke becomes involved."

"You are curious about him?"

It was then that she realized that he had only asked for the identity of Kingston and already knew that the other Gentleman was Prince Rupert for he had said him by name. Henry had, by his manner, given the impression that he had been away from London for some time so was unaware of the current happenings. But how had he come to know the Prince? Another puzzle piece had appeared.

"You are acquainted with Prince Rupert then? I had no idea."

How would he explain. What kind of lie would he use?

Louis, Buckingham and Nicolette

Buckingham asked after his recess adventures.  "I was drawn to Versailles to visit our French friends," he admitted freely.  The Duke was a known friend of the French Party, at least most of the time.  "I am here to report that this season was all about ribbons and their color.  While men wore them on their wigs, the game was with the ladies ringlets.  If they wore red it suggested they craved excitement.  Blue was power and confidence,  Purple, a popular color was to show loyalty to the Crown.  Green was harmony and yellow happiness.  Orange was the color the libertines wore at times to show a thirst for private adventures.  White was for the innocent, as if the maidens of court would be left alone by the wolves at court.  Yet, it only identified the prey to the hunters," he laughed.  "I wonder whether it should catch on here."  His own hair was tied back with a blue ribbon.

When informed Buckingham and Nicci were making plans, Louis found himself laughing an turning to Nicci. "Cousin how can there be monotony at Windsor when we have only been here a few minutes."  He knew what she meant but he thought to poke fun at those who profess boredom at the outset.

"Count me in on this game of most likelies."  It sounded fun.  "I invite you to start the round dear cousin."

James, the Merry Gang, and a message for Anne-Elisabeth from John

“We are in alliance,” Anne-Elisabeth smiled mischievously. “Sometimes I just can’t control my limerick muse. It’s a dreadful habit I have no intention of breaking.” She hoped that promising alliance wouldn’t be affected by her love of a genre he despised.

Rochester’s proposition sounded intriguing, and it would definitely challenge her writing skills as she had never attempted an epic. That their target had been Arlington last season explained why Dorset had picked his office to ‘christen.’ He had probably won the competition with that lusty stunt.

It would be immensely satisfying to publicly humiliate Pembroke for what he had done to her charming lover. She would have to research epic forms but she already had a few ideas. Anne-Elisabeth wasn’t surprised that Master O’Neill agreed to the scheme quickly.

“Well, we can’t drive Pembroke crazy.  He’s already stark-raving mad.  But we can contribute to his insanity.” She pretended to consider the opportunity, her pretty face taking on a thoughtful expression. “I do have at least one hurdle to jump that Master O’Neill does not. Nobody is going to publish a mere woman. I shall have to disguise myself as a man.” She cast a pointed look at Dorset, who would understand that she wished for more lessons in manliness. “Fortunately, I jump rather well and I will ...”

Before she could say more, a servant approached and handed her a folded piece of paper sealed with wax. “Please pardon me for a moment, my lords.” Anne-Elisabeth smiled apologetically and stepped a few paces away to read it. For a few heartbeats, she feared that somebody was stalking her until she read the last line. Lord Silverbridge.

While she was reading,  whispered news that the King and Queen were on their way reached her ears. “Tell him that I can not come to him now. The King and Queen are about to grace us with their presence and he should return to the reception. Also let him know that the cat is fine and I brought her with me.”

Stuffing the note in her petticoat pocket and rejoining the Merry Gang, Anne-Elisabeth grinned. “As I was about to say, I will gladly accept the challenge.”

~*~

The servant returned to the room where John awaited him and delivered Anne-Elisabeth’s message.

Douglas and Bridget

“I can hardly wait,” Bridget breathed. She had wanted to learn to shoot before she had been introduced to hunting, but had known better than to mention it to her parents or even her friends. Now that she liked to hunt, she was even more eager to learn. Hunting let her take out her frustrations with her current dismal situation and if she could actually bring down an animal, she could contribute to the food supply at the same time.

She knew where the Long Walk was, but the other places Lord Dundarg mentioned were completely unfamiliar. “Very well,” she agreed. “You seem to know a lot about the area, but I suppose you have visited many times before with the King. We shall happily follow your lead.” The only treasure they were likely to find, Bridget mused, was the pleasure of each other’s company. But might that not be the best treasure of all?

Of course, Douglas would not be welcomed in the palace due to his illegitimacy. Her father’s downfall assured that she and her sisters were not given a room either. Her aunt and uncle stayed there but had rented a small house for their nieces while they tried to find husbands for them. Arabella stayed with her cousins so she wouldn't have to share a room with her parents.  Bridget didn’t want to stay in the stuffy old palace anyway. Though she had never been to Windsor before, she had heard that the rooms were very small.

Lord Dundarg immediately apologized for suggesting that they join Buckingham’s small group. She stepped forward again. “There is nothing to be sorry for. You could not have known. It is best that I avoid the Duke at all costs.”

She glanced over at the Duchess of Abermarle and Lady Oakham. Bridget knew them both by sight but could not remember meeting them. Would they shun her too? “I do not know them,” she admitted. “Nor do I know how they feel about my presence at court. I think it is best for courtiers to approach me rather than for me to approach them.”

She smiled. “Your company is most enjoyable, my lord, but if you wish to greet others, I assure you that I will be fine on my own. If they are favorably disposed toward me, you can always bring them over to meet me.” Bridget did not want to monopolize his time, no matter how much she liked conversing with him.

Rupert and Kingston

The Prince was even tempered on the subject of trade.  He was an investor in the Hudson Bay and Royal African Companies, so he had gained some wealth through trade.  His ties to the German States had him seeing a Baltic trade route as being less dangerous than the pirate-infested waters of the New World, but there were many other competitors in the Baltic that would keep return on investment low.  He found himself nodding to Kingston's points.

The subject of a yacht race was a different matter.  It allowed sport and further fundraising for the navy.  "I approve of the idea," he was quick to respond.  "Which lords do you think you could convince?  There are but few yacht owners and the Thames cannot accommodate very many I should think."

"So that is Kingston," Henry replied.  "I have read that his father was a card cheat and that the son discovered scandalous information about the  Crown, which has given rise to his prominence.  Some say he is blackmailing both Buckingham with some Villiers secret and the King as well.  If true, I suppose he is lucky to be alive."  The broadsheets had painted a very unflattering image of Kingston.

"Prince Rupert?  Why yes I have met him.  Who has not.  I have not been to court in the last few years, but I met him as a younger man.  What young man would not wish to meet such a legend?"  

He looked towards York.  "I have met His Highness as well several times in the past with my father and I have met the King, Danby, Arlington and many of the great lords.  It is the lesser lords that are new to me."

He looked about the crowd.  "I see the Earl of Oxford and Duke Lauderdale.  They have not changed much in the last few years.  Can you point out Lord Mountjoy?  His rise has been sudden as well as Kingston.  He married a Saxon princess and she became the Queen's Mistress of the Robes as I understand it."

Charles and Henrietta

"I shall tell him you approve. Wodehouse likes to have his work acknowledged," Charles said amusedly. From another woman he might have thought that (somewhat awkward) flirting, but Henrietta was too innocent for that, it seemed to him. No, she was likely just being overly earnest.

Of course, just this once, I could perhaps handle being wrong...

None of that now, he chided himself. Plenty of time for that sort of thinking after the marriage, assuming he managed to live up to Ormonde's challenge. (Charles would not normally call that an assumption at all, being a stranger to doubt, but his faith in himself had been shaken by his failings over recess.)

Henrietta was not making it easy to put aside his thoughts, though, blushing prettily like that. She really did have a lovely blush, he thought, admiring that becoming flush. It was a little schoolboyish of him, perhaps, to enjoy it so, but enjoy it he did. He took another sip of wine to distract himself and followed her gaze to see Grey approach Cordelia. He laughed warmly.

"A more likely explanation than his finding anything objectionable in you or your perfume Selene," he said, still chuckling. "And if he must cast his admiration beyond the moon, then he could do considerably worse for a terrestrial object of admiration than Lady Lucas."

(Cordelia and Mary had been acquaintances, or even friends, his mind whispered. Perhaps she knew something? He quietened that intrusive voice, and found it easier than expected. 

Wodehouse had most assuredly been right, he conceded. Charles had needed company and relaxation, at least for a time.)

Returning his attention fully to Henrietta, he gave her an answering smile and inclined his head to acknowledge her thanks.

"I am delighted you have had joy of it, despite the tendency to mischief. A trait of the bloodline I fear. Their mother was the same I gather, and my own Sertorius certainly is. Thankfully my siblings have the energy to keep up with him, though less thankfully I strongly suspect that they are trying to train him to assist them in their own mischief."

He rattled off quite the litany of names and he made his associations know by saying that he had met them all in his earlier years.

There was something going on here - he had not been to Court for years yet was well enough informed about all the players - and his introduction to her had given her the first impression that he was not aware of anything.

Just how false was he? Or how stupid did he think she was?

"Well then I think since you are so well informed there is little that I can add." 

"As for Lord Mountjoy  ...."

She turned to look about the room searching for that Gentleman.

"He is there." She gave a nod in the direction. "Speaking to the lady with the white fan. I do not know her. But then so many are arriving there are bound to be new faces."

"Lady Mountjoy is indeed holding that Position. She is very well equipped for it as well."

It was then that she detected activity which her practiced eye knew.

"It would seem that His Majesty is to arrive. Perhaps with the Queen at his side."

"I am afraid that neither of us or anyone for that matter can leave. Are you ready to 'bend your leg' Henry?"

She smiled at him then took a moment to fluff her skirts making sure that there was enough space around them. Being knocked into was a hazard in crowded rooms and she had no wish to end up sitting on the floor.

John With The Servant Returning Alone

He lounged against the open doorway sure that the servant would return with the Lady in question. Imagine his surprise when it was just the servant  ......

He heard the reply and then nodded before reaching into a pocket and tossed some coins to the servant. If was hardly that poor fellows fault.

Alone once again he gave a long drawn out sigh then straightened himself up adjusting his coat and collar. Time enough to try again.

But his focus was now on the pending arrival of the King and Queen. He could hardly miss that!

Arriving back into the room he took up a spot along the wall. Tall enough to be able to see over most of those assembled he settled into waiting.

Curious to see his Monarch for the first time in person he wondered how closely he would resemble all the portraits he'd seen    ........

Beverley and Athenry

Athenry could not help but chuckle as Beverley attempted to wrap his head around Louise’s particular animosity towards the queen, a perhaps-unfair way to find amusement as his friend tried to approach the situation in the most politic way possible. “I suppose life is not without its dramas. It would be worth the attempt either way, like as not.”

“As to the rest,” Cadell uttered softly. “You are not incorrect, nor can I say with certainty that she will react poorly.” Although it is the most reasonable assumption. “She is intelligent and aware that our new lives are underway, after all.” And I’m only lying about the second half. “It is merely…” He paused, forcing a second chuckle. “The usual tempest of womanly emotion. Married life, eh?”

Distasteful, perhaps, to stretch the truth to a close friend, but there were a variety of reasons to not keep Beverley fully abreast of the situation, and instead play at a somewhat stereotypical, masculine complaint.

His gaze, grey and curious, drifted around the room as the pair spoke, sighting first a well-appointed, vaguely familiar gentleman (Mountjoy, was it? Chichester had pointed the man out once, he was reasonably certain) who at first seemed to approach Beverley before having his attention captured by an unknown lady (Eleanor). Elsewhere, Buckingham had arrived, although he’d had little truck with the man since his cousin had introduced them, and some of the courtiers nearer the entrance seemed to be stirring, for whatever reason.

Glancing sidelong in that direction, the viscount took in his friend’s question. “In admitting my desire to build a like-minded circle, I believe you may have just heard the extent of my plans, minus a detail or two,” he contemplated, smiling. “You know me, my friend. My ambitions are lofty yet vague notions, my plans closer to impulses to cultivate what I can.” It was past time, he had decided, to find useful friendships, and construct his own purpose.

Aware that the arrival of the Royals was imminent, Eleanor turned her attention towards the entrance, standing at the side of the inestimable Lord Mountjoy, who had rescued her from the awkward situation of arriving unaccompanied, save for her chaperone. He was undeniably charming, and seemed a most excellent individual on first acquaintance. Still, her intended contact and cousin, Lord Grey, was not far and surely with the arrival of the Royals he might break off his intent conversation with Lady Lucas, and notice her. Whether such happened before or after Lord Mountjoy had to attend the Royals... well, that was in Fortune's hands. Eleanor wasn't certain which outcome to hope for. 

Cordelia and Lord Grey Returning With An Introduction to Eleanor

She accepted his arm and let him lead her back out into the room as she continued the conversation   .....

"I did not mean to imply that you were Lord Grey. A hermit I mean. By saying that you should get out more was in the capacity of 'showing yourself off' to be blunt. And it has nothing to do with your research."

"You yourself must also put in effort - it should not be just up to the intended bride. For all we know there may well be an unknown young woman who has already spied you! But you go about so infrequent that she craves to see you."

"Well perhaps the Company that you are keeping should be changed? I mean you claim to be worried with sleepless nights filled with worry about your work being stolen yet have you ever thought that perhaps the fault is YOURS for choosing the wrong people to associate with?"

"How can that type be called a 'friend' if they intent to steal from you? I am surprised that you have not taken up with more of those Gentlemen from the Royal Society. They would hardly be so base as to pass of another's work as theirs - would they?

He was so well practiced at listing his wants for his wife.

He then indicated that 'Eleanor' was nearby and she looked in that direction only to see that it was Lord Mountjoy in the company of a young woman that hardly fit the image she had conjured in her mind.

"Of course. But let us wait for that introduction until after we see who arrives. If it is indeed their Majesties then all deference should be paid."

"Is that acceptable?" 

Her eyes remained fixed on that younger woman assessing. She was hardly a milk-maid or some country lass not dressed like that!

And how could such a newly arrived to Court person end up in conversation with Mountjoy?

Sarah and Lady Toledo

They had continued to sit chattering back and forth but Sarah knew that Lady Toledo was getting restless. She was about to say that she would take her leave but she noticed a sudden uptake in attention towards a set of doors and so she thinks that perhaps their Majesties might be arriving,

"It would seem that someone of importance is to come - perhaps even Their Majesties. Shall we go further into the room or do you prefer to remain here? You can hardly do a reverence that deep in your state Lady Toledo."

"And no one would blame you at all for remaining here. But you must say what you wish and I shall obey."

She looked to the other with a smile.

"Or do you wish me to have a servant bring Lord Toledo  ... is he here?"