JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Opening Reception

Prince Rupert

Dundarg and Lauderdale

John Maitland was of a contemplative mood this morning.  He had spent a prior meeting giving the royal couple his congratulations and presents.  The cold morning air could be felt in his bones and the mists that obscured the landscape reminded him of his own failing vision.

None of the seepage of old age was welcomed.  Maitland had determined that he would fight it doggedly and chart a strong new course for himself.  Once you were perceived weakened, one's enemies would strike.

"Ah, Dundarg," he greeted the tall Life Guard.  "How goes construction at your castle and the building of your fief?"  The Scottish duke already knew the answer to the questions.  His spies had been thorough, but he preferred to hear the words from the soldier.  When last they met, Lauderdale had tried to turn Douglas to his service.  The young man had not reacted as negatively as his half-sister.  

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

James-ing around near Nicci and Lady Worcester

Having departed from the Merry Gang with his already-ebullient mood buoyed by potential and new Inspiration, James did not take long with his search for his master Ormonde or any of his family. The only one in sight was Henrietta, preoccupied by a gentlemen and having always been somewhat quiet for his preferences. Instead, he elected to wander a bit, picking up a glass of wine and looking around for anybody of interest.

A pity, then, that there were so few of those – many he would consider friends or at least amusing acquaintances were with the royal couple. “I must needs adapt to that,” he murmured to himself. Were he to continue moving among the Merry Gang’s circle, proximity to His Majesty would, like as not, become as natural as breathing.

Or so was the hope.

Out of the corner of his eye, he caught sight of Mademoiselle Vaquelin, the Frenchwoman who had once been one of two Floras, during that bizarre, eventful stroll. How long had it been since then, a year? When Lucas was yet in my life. Having nothing else to do, the dark-haired poet picked up his pace somewhat until he reache a respectful, but audible distance from Nicolette and the woman with whom she was speaking, tipping his hat as he neared. “Good morrow, Flora,” he called out as his pace slowed, Ulster brogue resonant, wondering if she would recall the poem that she and Mistress Wellesley had inspired.

Flashing a dimpled smile to make up for any rudeness, he then glanced at the other lady, adding, “And one to you as well, my lady.” If they beckoned him closer, he would join in. If not, the buoyant energy in his step would simply carry James elsewhere, as it always did.

Cadell and Bristol

Perhaps Bristol might have found such a stumble (even a deliberate one – especially with the mild consequences of his sore knee) embarrassing, but Athenry had spent twenty of his twenty-five years with a limp. He had been shamed enough by his father and boys in his youth; by now, it was clear that the Most High had a path contrary to that of most gentlemen. A soldier of the mind.

Like a Jesuit without the cassock. Or the meddling in affairs to the detriment of Rome’s faithful.

Athenry leaned on his cane, grip tightening on the ivory raven head. “Only a war wound when the ladies are about, sir,” he replied with a slight smile. “To the gentlemen, I declare that such an injury has presented battles of its own, as God has willed.” A chuckle followed immediately, and he admitted, “Or so I would like to say, had I the requisite gravitas."

The viscount bowed, going for a technical truth: “I have seen your face, my lord, but we haven’t met. Viscount Athenry, at your service.”

Edited by Cadell Mortimer

Bristol and Athenry

Bristol gave a smile as the man admitted the truth indirectly.  The older man found his eyes looking at the leg to see if it was deformed, assuming he might have been born with the limp.

"I am George Digby, Earl of Bristol.  Perhaps you have heard of me?"  An old adventurer was ever in need of reassurance of his legacy.  "I cannot say I am familiar with the title," which he found surprising.  "Perhaps I knew your father?"

Bristol and Athenry

The viscount hesitated for a moment, unsure how to best present himself as somebody worth noting to Bristol. "I came to court a baronet, my lord," he explained, affecting breeziness in an attempt to demonstrate advancement without divulging that much of it was a face-saving measure. "And was raised to the viscountcy almost two years ago."

Trying to ignore the eyes on his (normal, albeit improperly set those two decades ago) leg, Athenry continued. "And while my father, Sir Hugh Mortimer, fought the Roundheads as I understand your lordship also did, I find it unlikely that he did so in a manner that was…."  He gave a wry smile, flattering the earl without being dishonest. "As colorful as some."

The idea of his oafish father and his mediocre accomplishments approaching the stories of the erratic Bristol would have been an amusing one, had he not been unworthy of the joke at his expense.

"All of which is to say that your name is known to me, Lord Bristol," he kept his voice conversational, still breezy, but lower. "As I assume it must be for many of our faith." His smile returned. "Of course, it's an honor to have a face to put to the stories." In truth, he could only recall a few, but they were all as intense as they were unpredictable.

Athenry and Bristol

"I knew Mortimers in Ireland and some in the north," the Earl replied.  It was obvious he was trying to remember if he had met Cadell's father.  Bristol knew a great deal of aristocrats in the Three Kingdoms as well as the Continent.

He had yet to make the connection with Cadell's wife, who he knew very well.  "I was in Florida two years ago," he mentioned.  "I was looking for the River Jordan as Ponce de Leon did 150 years ago.  I found a stream of remarkably vital water there."  He realized that he was getting off topic and stopped himself.  "So I was not here for your elevation.  To what sort of profession to you devote yourself Lord Athenry?"   

Bristol and Athenry

“I admit, I know little of my father’s service during that dark time, and while my brother Peter was also involved in resistance to the usurping Commonwealth, I fear that the sad truth is that Mortimer has not been a particularly interesting name since the rebellions against Henry IV and V.” Athenry’s self-deprecation came with a wistful little chuckle, the Welshman still being young enough to have a romantic view of that time.  After a beat, he made an addition, thinking Bristol the type of man to respect a little bit of youthful confidence. “Nor with disrespect to the future, hm?”

"Vital water? Tell me more." That was a curious thing. Silently, Athenry was grateful that Bristol soon switched the topic. As evidenced by his decidedly-Welsh first name, he was truly his mother’s son, and while he had little memory of Peter – halfway beatified, in his mind – there was naught but resentment within him for Sir Hugh and his cruel other brother. But on his own interests… “I’m a scholar by inclination, my lord,” the viscount answered, Welsh lilt infiltrating the explanation as he became more comfortable. “A man of St. Omer, a student of humanist philosophy in the Christian tradition…which has necessitated in turn other career choices.”

“When I am not attempting to educate myself further, I have begun to promote the pursuit of intellectual rigor among our society. And…” A glance at their surroundings. “My studies have revealed to me the necessity of using my station to advocate for the causes that can be demonstrated to be true and necessary. Such as supporting His Majesty’s wishes in Lords…” He pursed his lips. “Goodwill between nations, as I spoke of at Versailles following my marriage to Her Grace my wife.”

Bristol was the adventurer, but there were enough small intrigues to allude to them with honesty, thinking of what Ashburnham said about sprezzatura. He waved his free hand dismissively, wearing the hint of a smirk as he concluded, “Whatever small parts I can play in service to justice and divine law, I suppose.”

Edited by Cadell Mortimer

Dundarg and Lauderdale

The best way perhaps to describe Douglas's view of John Maitland was respectfully wary, but also hopeful. The man was immensely powerful and he moved in the Scottish sphere which was there Douglas himself preferred to operate. He was rumoured to have few scruples and certainly Douglas knew from Catriona's previous experience and his own encounter with a young lady who had just fled him that that certainly applied to women. But he was the sort of man that one ignored at one's peril. He had also done a lot to stabilise Scotland for the King, though unlike their monarch he seemed content to be feared rather than admired. But much of what Douglas thought he knew about him came from conjecture or rumour. He wanted to know the man better, and was willing and even to serve him so long as that did not cause problems for his sisters.

"Dundarg is developin' weel Yer Grace, thank ye fer askin'." He replied cheerfully, always happy to talk about his lands, though he noted that Lauderdale had avoided the opportunity to speak of his own state. "The new smoke hoose brings in revenue an' the seal fur is verra fine." He was quite pleased to have discovered these particular opportunities, having spent some quality time in the north. "The land isnae as cawld an' harsh as't micht seem tae southern een."* Douglas was a born and bred highlander, he thought he saw the land there differently to those accustomed to the green and rolling hills of England.

As for the castle, well, Douglas shrugged. "The castle is a ruin." He admitted honestly. "T'wuid be romantic tae rebuild, but expensive an' bluidy cawld tae live in." He observed honestly. "Better tae build a modern manor hoose; better still tae acquire more land thair wi' a hoose alrairdy on't." He said honestly, voicing aloud thoughts he'd had during his time away.  "I'm findin' Aberdeenshire tae my likin'."** And the thought of creating a little fiefdom in that region even more so. After all, there was no Earl of Aberdeen, yet, and whilst Douglas held no illusions about his own prospects, his legitimate son, armed with lands and money, might well look to gain such a title. He just had to ensure that said lands and funds were there.

"Ye may be pleased tae ken that militia training attendance is up an' bandit activity doon this year in Abderdeenshire. Ocht aboot a full gibbit seems tae deter thaim that wuid prey on the roads."*** He said with grim satisfaction. Of course there was banditry in the countryside too, which they were also working on, but safe travels between destinations ensured freedom of trade and movement of goods as well as people, all of which added to crown revenuw.

Subtitles
* "Dundarg is developing well Your Grace, thank you for asking. The new smoke house brings in revenue and the seal fur is very fine. The land isn't as cold and harsh as it might seem to southern eyes."
** "The castle is a ruin. It would be romantic to rebuild, but expensive and bloody cold to live in. Better to build a modern manor house; better still to acquire more land there with a house already on it. I'm finding Aberdeen to my liking."
*** "You may be pleased to know that militia training attendence is up and bandit activity down this year in Aberdeenshire. Something about a full gibbet seems to deter those who would prey on the roads."

Lauderdale and Dundarg

"Splendid," Lauderdale replied to the progress report.   The Duke had a Scottish accent but his English voice was clear.

"Good to hear bandit activity is down.  Any report of Coventeers in the area?"  They continued to be his bane.  "How often do you plan to visit Scotland?" he asked in a conversational tone.

Athenry and Bristol

"The Welsh Mortimers then," Bristol divined.  He seemed satisfied and asked nothing further about Cadell's family.

"DeLeon was looking for the Fountain of Youth," Digby began to explain.  "Native legends in Florida told of a stream that  kept one young and healthy.  Of course, I needed to investigate.  It took my expedition two months of trekking through the worst swamps and marshes God has placed on Earth, and a host of reptiles that would kill you in an instant.  These were the perfect guardians for the stream that I found, clear as a mountain stream it was."  There was a sparkle in his eye as he relived the moment.  "I brought two gallons back with me.  I gave some to my comrades, gave some to my daughter and used the rest on myself.  It worked like a charm.  Never felt better but, I ran out of the water six months ago and my health has weakened steadily.  I am not sure I have the fortitude to trek back into those swamps again.  We lost three guides along the way.  To stay eternally young one would need to live in that God-forsaken place.  It is not worth it.  I would rather pass in my bed thank you very much," he chuckled.

Cadell explained his education and philosophy.  "A philosopher, politician and diplomat," the Earl repeated.  "A lofty goal for us all.  I have many tales in that regard as well.  Less swamps but just as many reptiles," he jested.

The Welshman only mentioned his wife at the end.  "Oh so you are the one ... ."  He did not finish the sentence.  "I should like to be remembered to your lady wife.  Is she here at Windsor? I should like to call upon her."

Lauderdale and Dundarg

There were few who had an accent as thick as Douglas's, but at least he didn't have to worry about Lauderdale being able to understand him, so he felt free to speak as he would. He'd once held dreams of restoring Dundarg Castle, but his recent time spent north had given him time to think a lot of things through, and adopt a more pragmatic approach to life, focusing on making the most of the resources that he had, rather than chasing what he hadn't. Still, he was a little surprised that Lauderdale seemed almost pleased when he described his recent achievements and thoughts; it was... heartening?

"I haena heardit o' ony nests in Abderdeenshire - ainly rumour o' folk doon near Glasgie - but I hae men wha keep thair ears open fer such."* For anything that might cause civil unrest. Covenanters believed that the Kirk was supreme, that even the King was second to it, a subject on which Henry VIII's views had created the current situation between Catholics and the Anglican Church. Covenanters were Protestant, but held that each man had a relationship with, and owed allegiance to, God first - the Covenant - and only then to the crown. This might be all very well as a philosophical consideration amongst peaceful monks, but the Scots didn't have much of a reputation for peaceful discussion when they disagreed about something. Douglas understood why the more radical sects were such a problem. 

How often did he plan to visit Scotland? "I intend tae spend my recesses back north Yer Grace, doin' the King's work." He said simply. "Unless he needs me elsewhaur, acourse."** He added, with a keen look and a very slight nod to Lauderdale. Dundarg took his orders from the King, and from those high in the King's government. Lauderdale was his chief representative in Scotland. An order from him could be considered as having the King's delegated authority. Dundarg was no astute politicial or political conniver, but he was an effective military leader and very loyal. 

Subtitles
* "I haven't heard of any nests in Aberdeenshire - only rumour of people down near Glasgow - but I have men who keep their ears open for such."
** "I intend to spend my recesses back north Your Grace, doing the King's work. Unless he needs me elsewhere, of course."

Lady Worchester and Nicci (with James joining)

“What have you heard in particular?” Nicci thought to check, “though I am hardly his keeper -  I would comment that the gentleman in question has gentle spirit with a kiss just as sweet, so that I would not be surprised if he discovers any number of options before him in any town he visits.”

Nicci paused, and then added, “But the gentleman carries a burden from his father, and would not wish the difficult times he has faced upon a future generation.  He is no rogue.  Far from it. He is in my mind an impeccable gentleman, a gallant, I would trust him, and have, absolutely.

"Perhaps the gossip is born of a misunderstanding, though more likely, as I think on it, the malicious words were designed to hurt him.” 

“Oh I am pleased to hear that!” She was relieved to Know Arthur was minded, she was awfully fond of him, and Charles.

"Goodness, have you not seen the pamphlets and broadsheets, my dear? Aside from comparing him to his dangerous, wastrel father...which if you say is not true of his character, I shall believe you. After all, you know the gentleman, and if you trust him absolutely, we will say no more of him being dangerous...but there is more."

She paused to look around to make sure they were not overheard. She did not wish to make an enemy of a man like Buckingham and nor did Dear Henry. She merely wanted to inform her friend.

"They say he was captured and imprisoned by Turks, then on his oath was enslaved as one of their warrior guardians to the Sultan to get out of prison and then escaped from his sworn service! I mean, could one blame him for escaping those Heathens if it were true? They also say he likes to lay with other men and that is where he learnt it, for they are supposed to be celibate," Lady Worcester said. "Or at least Lord Worcester said they were not allowed women."

It was incredibly salacious! She felt Nicci should know what they were saying about her gentleman friend. It would not due for her to overhear it elsewhere or be utterly shocked unprepared.

"It is more slanderous than a simple misunderstanding."

She noticed an Irishman come near and then greet Nicci...as Flora...and then greeted her as well. She looked to Nicci to either invite him or send him away. Lady Worcester trusted her judgement. 

Mountjoy and Eleanor departing their Majesties and approaching Lady Mountjoy and party

Ursula smiled at her husbands approach, while noting he had a debutant under wing.  There was no jealousy felt, she was well confidant of Charles morals, but rather understood his company with was likely a protective role. There were many wolves at court that more than one lamb had fallen prey to.  Lord Mountjoy was inclined towards being a fatherly figure, though he in fact only had one babe, alive. 

There was an ache still deep in her heart for one recently lost, and despondency that there might never be a Mountjoy heir, that she wishes so desperately to provide.

But today was not for such thoughts, today, this celebration season, was securing the future of a genealogical line without the Papist threat.  

"My Lord I have been in fine company." she assured.

Charles then provided introductions, to which it was her pleasure to add, "And it's my honor to introduce the Margrave of Brandenburg-Ansbach, and Lady Dorothea's brother Johan Friedrich." 

The Margrave loosed his protective hold on his little sisters hand as the greetings were made, providing a nod and small smile to the young lady before uttering to Charles, "Your Lady Wife has been providing some small commentary of the proceedings.  There is a little less ceremony than I had anticipated, I had been foreadvised of the English... ahh." 

He sought the right word.

Meanwhile Dorothea smiled to Eleanor, they were of a similar-ish age.  

Lady Worchester and Nicci (with James joining)

It was much worse than the minor rumours that Nicci had heard (though it was little wonder that persons were not repeating such sordid claims to her, knowing ot be his close friend).   

The Frenchwoman’s brows furrowed, marring an otherwise pristine complexion, “But these are vile utterances!” under her breath she uttered, concern glittering in her eyes. “More than enough to ruin a man, no I cannot believe it.” But then could she? Francis was especially beautiful (for a man), and so gentle and tender. “No, it cannot be true. But what an awful scandal he need try live though.”

With such rumours about, Francis could have been excused for absenting himself from a season, till the fickle minds of courtiers moved on to the next thing.  But he might have thought that some would think that was proof that it was true. And the Duke.  Who surely was informed, must have advised Francis in this. That perhaps to face it down. Let is actions prove his substance.     

“Mercy. This is a very difficult time for him.” Her eyes cast about looking for Francis where abouts at that moment. She would band with him though this, the more ladies around him at the moment the better she supposed!

But instead her eyes fell upon the Poet.  And a genuine smile filled her face.  (not that she was one of those aforementioned ‘fickle minded courtiers’, but that this was a fellow who had played a rather large part in her life – but that she’d barely even met. She welcomed this chance to greet. 

“The lyrical narrator, I welcome the breeze that blows you here.” She welcomed, moving to include him in this little group, she then introduced, “Lady Worchester have you had the delight of meeting Master James O’Neill? His way with words shall positively delight.  Oh but not to put you under any pressure to conjure for us Master O’Neill.  Here please to meet my dearest lady Friend Marquise Worchester, though you might surely know her already. You are from the Green Ile, are you not?”

Nicci had thought James was Irish, though her French ear might have misplaced his accent. The Worchesters estate Badminton, where she’d stayed with Mary on numerous occasions, was practically the doorway to Ireland.

The Royals with Basildon Approaching

Karoline was practically grinning with her husbands tease. “But you know how fascinating I find needle and thread.”  He’d once heard her declare she never wanted to see another sewing hoop ever again!  

“They might enjoy an English feast.” She smiled, enjoying CR’s suggestion of adding more german supporters to the dinner party.  It was another indicator of her success in England, Karoline was entirely aware of the Politics of her position, and her responsibility to her own family back home.  If she had her way there would be more and more German envoys in years to come.

And then here arrived Lord Basildon, his little sister was installed in her own household, so he was well known to her, even so he was a dark horse.

“Ah yes, our Lady Basildon energy in England is much missed.” she smiled having previously thought their family hedging bets.  “But thank you for your warm wishes. Can there be any blessing greater than that of a healthy babe.”

Her happy eyes turned to the King then, knowing in this they were in the ultimate of agreements!

Darlene and Elizabeth

“You are right.” Darlene admitted with a sigh (as the Duchess giggled in calling her out), “I’ve just not yet decided if I shall make him fall in love with me or not.  I mean, there might be something wrong with him that he’s not already wed.”

“Praise be that he at least listens then.” Of Chris Darlene said, though quietly she did not think it was too good an idea.  Duke Albemarle’s reputation was mixed, certainly not the same calibre as the Cavendishes.  “Though I think I’d prefer your own help.”

She’d forgotten the plan to approach Elizabeth’s mother, and had been just about to agree when the dancing lord from Last season came by. 

A small theatre then played out before their eyes. A spill, apologies, then magnanimous forgiveness.

“Not at all Lord Grey, but my what a fine cloth that is, it must be handy when upon the battle field.” Darlene smiled, remembering a joke she’d once heard of a red bandana used to hide that there was a bloody wound.

“Lady Ablemarle, might I introduce Baron Grey, whom is a fine dance even if he did not pull off a pirouette with wine glass.”

A brief exchange with the Toledos, Caroline and George then queue

Over a ruckus of cheers for the King, Queen and Babe, their conversation could barely carry on. George reached and patted Esteban on the back, “Soon we shall be cheering for your own heir.” 

The ladies like wise had a small exchange.

“We ought join the queue to congratulate the King.” George suggested as the two pairings moved apart again.

“They are such good folk, don’t you agree.” George then said to Caroline as they moved to the queue.  Basildon was currently speaking with the Royals, and George’s ears wagged to hear what might be being said.

Dundarg and Lauderdale

"They seem more quiet in the south," Lauderdale replied quietly as he continued to watch the other courtiers distantly.    The rebels were mostly in the far north, hiding in the mountains and deep forests of Scotland.  They were hiding from from the dragoons Lauderdale and Murray had sent after them. The Covenanteers held no real power in Scotland these days, mostly relegated to outlaw status.  The Duke had served his King well in crushing the once mighty group, and taking the blame for the atrocities committed in fighting the sect.

"It would seem the King would afford little time during the year to escape London, but it is good to know that you find the time."  The Duke had found it interesting that Douglas had approached him of his own initiative and curiosity grew within him.

"How are your half sisters faring?" he inquired.  "I see they have all arrived in Windsor.  It seems curious that the youngest ones have arrived as well."  It seemed more appropriate to Lauderdale that the youngest remain in Scotland.  He could understand why Catriona had brought the King's daughter to court.  In the Duke's mind it was to remind the King that he had other children too, and she might be seeking a favor amid the celebration of the new heir to the throne.  The King was most generous when in such moods. 

George, Caroline and the Toledos

"Let us get together and share some wine and catch up on events," Toledo shouted into Hardwick's ear to overcome the ambient noise.  "Shall we go riding together this weekend perhaps?" Esteban offered.

It was not long before the couples were separated.  The Toledos moved into the line as did other anxious courtiers.  Amid the commotion, George would not e able to hear the royal exchange with Basildon.

Elizabeth and Darlene

As Darlene admitted the fun of trying to have Finch fall in love with her, Elizabeth found herself giggling more.  "The man shall stand no chance against you."  When Darlene wondered aloud why he was not married yet, Elizabeth's fan popped open again and covered her mouth.  "He is a lawyer do not forget."  Again, she spoke as if it were an affliction.

It was then that Henry Grey approached and was introduced to the Duchess.  Darlene seemed quite familiar with the Baron.  It caused her eyebrow to arch as she had just been pitying her friend.

"Any friend of Lady Oakham is a friend of mine," she replied, holding out her hand to Henry.

A Frenchwoman, a Marchioness, and an Irishman

It was fortunate that James had kept his distance, for hearing such gossip about his friend Kingston – even if it was already in the broadsheets – would have likely provoked derision, an attitude that the Irish poet had difficult keeping in check. But then, he had that problem with many attitudes. Mockery – witty or otherwise – was even more difficult one than the rest. It was in his nature to jape and jest at the amusing, and to charge into conflict headfirst at that which was decidedly non-entertaining.

But James did not hear the preceding gossip, and thus the ladies were not treated to the panoply of tics that would have come alongside any attempt at not making a fool of himself on the first day of the season. Still, the middle-aged woman that Mlle Vaquelin was with seemed to regard him cautiously, so there was plenty of time for that to still transpire.

As Nicolette beckoned him forward, he grinned, intent on carrying his earlier success onwards throughout the rest of the day, joining the other two more fully. “The County Down, to be precise, on the shores of Loch Cuan*,” James clarified on the matter of his origins. “Where the merrow still lure fishermen to their doom and where great stones mark the tombs of forgotten kings. But I’ve not had the honor of an introduction until now.”

He bowed, prepared to kiss her hand if offered. “Truly, my lady, it is a unique pleasure to put a face to the name which has come up in the course of working for my master, the Duke of Ormonde.” She had a daughter, he recalled, that had married Brooke’s boy – the awkward lad which had once given him advice on interacting with the Butlers – and was close to Lady Ranelagh. “And do extend my condolences to your friend Lady Ranelagh, for the misfortune of her marriage to that ne’er-do-well.”

Laughing at his own joke, and still speaking at over a mole a minute, James held up a hand. “I kid, of course. Pray forgive me for that, and for the interruption.” He looked back over at the Frenchwoman, who rumor suggested had done quite well for herself. “I was simply possessed by the notion that I ought thank our friend here for the services Flora once rendered. The works I derived from that meeting make such a contribution priceless, in truth.”

A soft, dimpled smile accompanied a rather youthful admission. “That, and I find making new acquaintances most energizing.”

*Name of Strangford Lough up until the 19th century.

Edited by James O`Neill

"If he had not His Grace, it would be enough to ruin a man," Lady Worcester agreed. "Though it could also be that His Grace's enemy take aim at an easier target than the Duke himself, who has been the subject of slander many times. If you trust him so well and feel him a close friend, then I shall feel badly for him."

The Irishman joined them. An O'Neill. Well, there was a name that came up often in talk about the nobility of Ireland. They were close with the Thomond O'Neills, especially with Lord Ibracken. 

She knew from her Henry that Ormonde had yet to be cleared of being involved in the business with Danby, that his Dutch wife made him suspect. 

"Yes, my Lord husband works very closely with Ormonde and Brooke, over the safety of the Welsh Marches," she said. Only more closely now that Pembroke was out of favor. The two families had split guardianship of the Welsh Marches in many ways, but the King would no longer trust the insane young earl. "Why I have even had to muster the militia once myself when my Worcester was absent*." Mary was a formidable woman and her partnership with Henry was an equal one. It was why she was close with Lady Ranelagh. Formidable women stuck together.

"Oh that evil rascal," she began, closing her fan and using it for emphasis. "It is good he is dead, but he was dead to her a long time ago. She had not seen or bothered with him for most the life of her son, who is past thirty. She is staying at Cranbourne. You can see it from the battlements. It is the property on the other end of the Great Park. Many of the renovations for Windsor were provided from Lord Ranelagh's work in the Irish Treasury."

She then eyed Nicci, wondering what service she had provided, thinking it must have been an introduction of some form. Perhaps to Buckingham or even the King. Or one of the wits which she made her friends. Perhaps Lord Ranelagh even. She knew Nicci was fond of him, the endearing rake. 

(OOC - Historically happened LOL)

Eleanor, the Mountjoys, and a pair of Germans

Mountjoy, although he still remained attentive to Eleanor, moved slightly away from her and towards his wife. “You are being much too kind Mistress Eleanor for what little wit or elegance I may possess is woefully insufficient to adequately express the qualities of such a charming Lady as is my wife.” He touched Ursula’s arm and smiled as he spoke of her.

He greeted Dorothea and took her hand “Enchanted as always to see you again My Lady. How lovely it is to have your brother The Markgraf with you.” Said he before turning to Johan Friedrich and giving him a more formal bow in the German fashion. “Herr von Brandenburg Ansbach, it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance. I hope you find our Kingdom to your liking and our customs not overly strange. Having spent the past year touring the German Courts I can well understand the peculiarities our English ways to those not familiar with our customs. Aside from high court ceremonies we English are less formal than our noble brethren in the Empire and, as this is not an official court function, somewhat less pomp is allowed than the deference normally expected by Their Majesties.” The German Courts were known for their complicated and strict etiquette which even Mountjoy, for all his reserve and formality, had found stifling. In an attempt to be helpful, he added. “For example, in our custom it is permissible for you to help yourself to the refreshments provided.”  He gestured to the table of available refreshments. It was not uncommon for a German, even if surrounded by vast quantities of delicacies, to stand around for hours without taking a single bite or sip unless directly invited by the host.

“It is good to see their Majesties in such good spirits.”  He trailed off. Normally he would have happily waxed on about the new prince and how fortuitus his birth was, but standing here next to Ursula he felt constraint. Little had been said between them about their own predicament and they both carried on as if nothing had happened but each of them knew there was this specter hanging between them. Each of them was hurt by it yet neither of them wished to acknowledge their own hurt for fear of hurting the other. Such was the bane of their relationship. He moved on.

“Her Majesty has expressed a desire to see Mistress Bayning again and has asked her to apply to Lady Beverly to facilitate the request.” He said giving Ursula forewarning. He would discuss the young lady in more detail when they were in private for it was within Ursula’s sphere to be knowledgeable of anything concerning the Queen’s household and he wished to do everything that he could to support her. “I mention it as I do not believe Lady Beverly and Mistress Eleanor are acquainted and I fear I may have bewildered her with such a flurry of introductions in so short of time.”        

Edited by Charles Blount

Dundarg and Lauderdale

"Jus' cause they're quiet, doesnae mean they're deed'." Douglas observed, equally quietly, on the subject of the Covenanters. It was true that most of the radical groups, those led by preachers who had refused the indulgences, were hiding in the difficult country of the Highlands, but there were other pockets. Aberdeen was border country, neither Highlands nor Lowlands but somewhere between. "Sin Mitchell was executed earlier this year, thairs been rumours o' movement sooth o' the Firth o' Forth."* Of course, Lauderdale would know about the trial of James Mitchell for the attempted assassination of Bishop Sharp, since he'd given evidence at it. Mitchell claimed to have been promised clemency for his confession and there were documents to prove it, but Sharp pushed for the death sentence. By all accounts, Lauderdale had pushed for clemency, but been overruled. Those with Covenanter's sympathies of course considered Mitchell to be a martyr to the cause, and it had stirred them. 

It was interesting that Lauderdale pointed out that the King found little time to escape London. It was true that Douglas might garner more royal notice by staying glued to the King's side, but he took the duties of his position seriously, and sought more to gain notice by doing it well. Besides, the freedom of working in the field suited him. "His Majesty haes other considerations, wi' the joyous arrival o' his heir." The Highlander commented mildly. "But we wilnae achieve much governin' o' the Kingdom by aw stickin' tae His coat tails."** There was always work to do, and he preferred to be trusted to work to the King's commands.

When Lauderdale enquired of Douglas's sisters, the Life Guard's instinctive reaction was all hackles up. He knew what Cat had told him of the man's pursuit of her and Fiona as possible mistresses. But it was a reasonable question, even if Douglas suspected that nothing Lauderdale said or did was purely pleasantry or idle conversation. "My sisters er weel, thank ye; tis kind o' ye tae ask." He replied, noting the question about the younger two, and why they were all at court. "Catriona prefers tae keep thaim close, efter she gittit thaim back frae the Coort o' Wards." He said honestly, quite certain that Lauderdale knew all about it. "Shona is auld enou' tae debut, sae t'wuid ainly be Aileen left at hame."*** He personally thought that Catriona was making a rod for her own back, bringing them all, but it was her house and her self-punishment. The worst of course was Fiona, yet even she seemed to have mellowed a little. 

"An' hou is Her Grace, an' young Master Murray?"+ He asked. Murray had been Maitland's second the last couple of seasons Douglas had attended, but didn't seem to be in evidence today. Of course, that didn't mean that he wasn't at Windsor. 

Subtitles
* "Just because they're quiet, doesn't mean they're dead. Since Mitchell was executed earlier this year, there's been rumours of movement south of the Firth of Forth."
** "His Majest has other considerations, with the joyous arrival of his heir. But we won't achieve much governing of the Kingdom by all sticking to His coat tails."
*** "My sisters are well, thank you; it's kind of you to ask. Catriona prefers to keep them close, after she got them back from the Court of Wards. Shona is old enough to debut, so it would only be Aileen left at home. 
+ "And how is Her Grace, and young Master Murray?"

Edited by Douglas FitzJames

(OOC - We are going to begin to wrap up this thread very soon and fade out, so please work your conversations and actions toward your goals. There will be plenty of opportunities to congratulate the King & Queen. I will give you one more warning before the fade out, but keep in mind we aren't letting this drag on!)

A Frenchwoman, a Marchioness, and an Irishman

James, Nicci and James had a great deal to say, and aptly mostly focused towards the marchioness. The mention of Lady Ranelagh’s long gone husband struck Nicci as odd, though her courtiers smile practised enough not to show it.  He is letting her know he is aware of her and her friends.  Nicci supposed it was intended as a compliment. Though any mention of the Ranelagh made this French woman a tad possessive.  She was not likely to let go of her special affection for Ritchie any time soon.

“No not let Lady Ranelagh here such condolences - ” she laughed with a sparkle of light in eyes, “she of all persons begs no sympathy.” imagining Lady Ranelagh would have a rather colourful reply for any such comment.   

“Worchester’s regiments are quite the sight, you would surely excite of the sight of them, why even at leisure and playing cards.” Nicci added to Mary’s talk of her husbands duties. Nicci had gone done a field visit with her once, and spent some time assessing their apothecary needs, which she now supplied via The Golden Pestle.

James attention then returned to her, and with a rather sweet note of gratitude for her part in that grand show that had been the Garden walk. “It was a fine launch, a joy to so many there present – how might we contrive a Part II I wonder?” She imagined everyone, including the King, would delight at a sequel.

Eleanor, the Mountjoys, and a pair of Germans

Lady Mountjoy seemed quite the stately and gracious lady, greeting her husband warmly and assuring him that she had been in fine company. Well, who wouldn't feel in fine company, with a Princess? And a Margrave, according to her introductions. She gave the man a shy smile in turn, as he greeted her and Lord Mountjoy before engaging Charles in conversation, as one would expect between the gentlemen. As her brother moved a little from her side, the Princess smiled over at Eleanor. She looked to be of a similar age to Eleanor herself, and that smile seemed welcoming; the young English lady returned it. It was a wonderful feeling to be amongst important people who were so welcoming. 

She did notice that somehow Lord Mountjoy seemed less effusive about Their Majesties and especially the Queen in this company than before; perhaps he was simply being reserved in the presence of the Germans. Encouraged by the other girl's smile, Eleanor lowered her fan a little and spoke quietly in the Princess's direction. "I do hope you've been enjoying your time here, however different our customs." She said.

Lauderdale and Dundarg

"Aye, a shame about Martin," the Duke admitted.  "A messy business.  Still, I have few tears for a would be assassin, even the one your half-sister Fiona wished to save."  It had been quite a sight.  Her Scottish paramour had tried to assassinate the Duke ... twice before he was executed.  Had it made the Duke take a special interest in her?  "I do hope that she has taken a more mature view of the men she associates with these days."  Perhaps it was an insult.  Perhaps it was just an observation.  Perhaps it reflected his curiosity about a wild girl protected by the King.

"Lady Lauderdale has been a bit under the weather," he admitted. "Thank you for asking.  Murray is in the north, looking into a matter of some concern."  There was no further explanation offered.

"It is good that you take your responsibilities to Dundarg so seriously.  It reflects well on a gentleman.  I know an architect in Aberdeen who I could send to discuss plans for your planned manor if you wish.""  

Lauderdale and Dundarg

There were few who would shed tears for assassins, but martyrs' deaths could power causes like few other things. Revenge was a dish that all too many were keen to partake of. Still, what was done was done and could not be undone. If Douglas heard anything concrete, either within his own stomping grounds in Aberdeenshire or through the rumour mill, he'd let the Duke know. But Martin wasn't the only would-be assassin that Lauderdale would shed no tear for, as he reminded Douglas of Fiona's lover and expressed the hope that she was more mature in her choice of men these days. "Ye an' me both."* Douglas sighed quietly in agreement. He hadn't been at court during that particularly stellar moment of Fiona's - had that been when he was sent to Scotland for sleeping with Heather? He wasn't sure - but he'd heard all about it.

Had that provoked an ongoing interest in Fiona in the Duke? Douglas himself had even suggested to Catriona, once upon a time, that being Lauderdale's mistress would suit the minx perfectly, if they could be certain he'd treat her well. Catriona of course had been all 'over my dead body'. Not that the Duke needed to know about that particular conversation, but the idea hadn't disappeared.

The admission that Lady Lauderdale was unwell, right on the heels of the conversation about Fiona, made Douglas's mind go in a certain direction. Even better than being Lauderdale's mistress would be to be his young wife, and soon his widow. Especially if Fiona could bear his son, or a son she could claim was his. The Dowager Duchess of Lauderdale could probably do as she pleased. Still, probably best not to plan Elizabeth's funeral yet. "I'm sorreh tae hear that; I hope Her Grace is feelin' better soon."** He said politely. He knew Lady Lauderdale even less well than her husband, but had always been curious. She was said to be an intelligent and powerful woman in her own right. A wife like that would be a strong ally; perhaps he might one day be so fortunate.

He did take his responsibilities seriously, and Maitland's praise drew a small smile and a nod of appreciation from Dundarg. It was nice to be recognised for his efforts; acknowledged for something other than his birth. "Tae Dundarg, an' tae Aberdeenshire." He assured the man, being proud of his Lord Lieutenancy as well as his lands. "Thank ye, Yer Grace." He'd spent most of his adult life serving, since first joining the military. It was a source of pride and sense of purpose. Then the tall Scot cocked his head slightly at the older man's unexpected offer. "That wuid be verra kind o' ye; I wuid appreciate it."*** He replied earnestly on the subject of the architect. The building of a manor house was something that he needed to set in motion; if he wanted to marry he would need somewhere to house his wife and hopefully his family. 

Lauderdale hadn't mentioned where Murray was exactly, nor specifically what matter of concern he was looking into, and that was clearly deliberate. It didn't bother Douglas. If Maitland wanted him to know, he would surely tell him. Still, it meant that the Duke was without his right hand man. "If I kin be o' assistance tae ye in Murray's absence, I'd be honored tae be o' service."+ He offered. Lauderdale no doubt had a whole series of trusted individuals, and likely more than one kinsman like Murray, but perhaps there was an opportunity to learn the man better, and through him learn the politics of Scotland. Plus there was a definite benefit to serving the powerful at court, and Lauderdale was the most powerful man in Scotland. 

Subtitles
* "You and me both."
** "I'm sorry to hear that; I hope Her Grace is feeling better soon."
*** "To Dundarg, and to Aberdeenshire. Thank you, Your Grace. That would be very kind of you; I would appreciate it."
+ "If I can be of assistance to you in Murray's absence, I'd be honoured to be of service." 

Elizabeth, Darlene and Henry

A Cavendish... how curious...

“An honour to make your acquaintance, Your Grace”. Henry bowed formally with practiced ease. He kissed the offered hand and straightened. “And Lady Oakham is far the better dancer. I just happened to know a variation she was not accustomed to”. True, without getting into details. "I have been practicing, though, so that next time I am better at it."

He then turned to Darlene. “It is the weirdest of occurrences, Lady Oakham. The handkerchief was supposed to be of a colour that did not clash with the outfit, but my valet could not find the right one. I did not want to use a black one, as it could send the wrong message, so this one was chosen. A rather nice shade of red, do you not think? As for battlefields, mine are the battlefields of natural philosophy, but even then, there are cuts and scrapes to consider. You are right in that the colour would hide blood much easier than a less vivid one”.

Other courtiers were beginning to fall in line to greet their majesties. “Have you congratulated the royal couple yet? If not, may I escort either or both of you?”

Henry hoped either or both ladies would accept.

Edited by Henry Grey