JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Opening Reception

Prince Rupert

A brief exchange with the Toledos, Caroline and George then queue

The conversation with the Spanish ambassador and Sophia was interrupted by all the sudden cheering for the royals and soon heir. Hardly conducive for further chat too with all the commotion.

Caroline would have to be content to see Sophia later upon receiving the announced invitation, more privacy that way anyhow. The couples split then.

George now suggested into her ear they queue up for giving their well wishes to the royal couple which Caroline readily agreed to. He also commented that the Toledos were 'such good folk'.

Caroline smiled, "Well, one of them definitely."

George would surely know which one she meant too. Caroline would probably never warm to the ambassador but she could at the very least tolerate him for sake of Sophia and George.

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lauderdale and Dundarg

Douglas made no attempt to justify Fiona's actions, which was a point in his favor with Lauderdale.  He allowed the topic to move onward.

"I shall write Archie Boggin in Aberdeen and have him meet you when next you go north.  I shall pay him to draw up plans for you," he offered.

The Captain then made a general offer of service that seemed to get the Duke's attention.   "Dundarg, I have tried to show interest in your family but the Countess has shown only scorn in my direction.  Perhaps I had made an unwelcome offer once; but, had it been taken, I would have seen your family achieve good things.  A gentleman does not allow emotions to dictate whether to pursue an advantage.  I fear that ladies are not the same.  I should like you to think on your offer and what is best for your family, and then let us speak after church on Sunday," he offered.

Bristol and Athenry

The story about the Fountain of Youth was a fascinating one, if true – he had no reason to doubt Bristol, but the Jesuits instilled in their students (the good ones, anyways, for far too many Catholics remained superstitious) a healthy sense of skepticism. “Fascinating, my lord. Truly fascinating. And you did not bring it to the Royal Society…?” It was not an accusation, just a mere point of curiosity.

“Surely, a team of natural philosophers could recreate such a substance – it would be the dream of the alchemist, no?”

The topic turned back to him, and the viscount found himself smiling thinly. “You do me a great kindness. I rather enjoyed spreading the goodwill of His Majesty, in truth…Versailles gave me some instruction in dealing with reptiles and London is oft swampy enough without adding the clime of la Florida –“ here, his Spanish was accented but not terrible, having something of a knack for languages, “–to the misery.”

I should ask Louise who else she knows, Athenry reminded himself. If she calms down. They’d worked well together, in the past – surely Louise’s experience and his comparative anonymity could have combined again to result in their mutual advancement, and that of France. “I am…the one, yes.” He chuckled. “But I’m certain madame la duchesse would be grateful for the visit,” he answered truthfully. “The transition from our sojourn to France, where the language spoken is her own and –“ he dropped his voice a bit “worship was easier for us both, back to England has been a difficult one.”

“And while it might be a faux pas to invite myself, I would be remiss to not be intrigued by the tales of these reptiles.” The viscount looked up, grey eyes searching for Bristol’s in an attempt to impart a little extra meaning to that remark. Ill and aging he may be, the man could still be an ally. Or at least offer some guidance.

Lauderdale and Dundarg

Douglas had no illusions about Fiona's foolishness and preferred to call a spade a spade, so in his eyes there was nothing to justify. The girl had made her bed and could own it. At her age, he'd joined the Regiment du Dumbarton and was serving abroad, risking his life in the service of the Crown. She was sleeping with assassins. He could only hope, as he'd expressed, that she would grow some sense over time. 

Lauderdale offered not only to arrange to have the architect meet him, but to pay for the plans to be drawn up. "That's verra kind o' ye, Yer Grace."*  He said, surprised but pleased. It was likely such a small and simple thing to one such as the Duke of Lauderdale, but it meant a lot to Baron Dundarg. Archie Boggin in Aberdeen; he'd be looking for him. 

Douglas offered Lauderdale his service, being the only thing he could really offer the man, and it seemed to at least garner his interest, whilst at the same time a certain degree of resignation, which he explained. Dundarg listened carefully as the situation was outlined from Maitland's point of view, nodding with his own degree of resignation. "Aye, she did sae. Tis a difficult situation." He acknowledged. "The girls an' I hae family ties o' blood," which meant a lot in Scottish culture, "but nae jurisdiction o'er each other." Which sometimes caused them to work at cross-purposes. Catriona seemed focused purely on protecting the girls, even from things in their lives that should happen, like marriage, whilst ignoring everything outside that arena, to their detriment in Fiona's case. Which he was starting to feel as an impediment to Douglas at times. The last thing he wanted to do was refuse to serve Lauderdale because Cat would get her nose out of joint. "Tis a fortunate man wha kin find a wife wi' sense tae match his ain." He said with a nod of his head in the Duke's direction, since he'd heard Lady Lauderdale had both sense and cunning. "Thank ye Yer Grace, fer yer time an' yer kindness. I shall think on what ye hae sayed."**

And he should probably talk to Cat. Who was going to get her nose out of joint. He just knew it. 

Subtitles
* "That's very kind of you, Your Grace."
** "Yes, she did say. It's a difficult situation. The girls and I have family ties of blood, but no jurisdiction over each other. It's a fortunate man who can find a wife with sense to match his own. Thank you Your Grace, for your time and kindness. I shall think on what you have said."

Athenry and Bristol

"Yes, well I thought of the Society," Bristol replied.  "I visited with Thomas Sprat who is one of the leaders, and the King's chaplain.  I thought they might want to study the water, maybe Hooke could take a close look."  Bristol then cleared his throat. "Sprat, upon hearing my story, called it superstitious nonsense.  Can you imagine the gall? I have seen the world, places that no man has been.  I have done things no man has done.  I am an educated man, respected throughout the world, and he speaks to me like I am some ignorant street urchin!"  It would be apparent that he was still furious.

"I was going to tell this man of God some words, in five languages, than no man of the cloth should ever hear.  I kept my temper and told him that I was sorry that a man of learning could be so narrow-minded.  So, I let the Society be to study other important things like whether a fishing rod might be mechanized," he scoffed. "Fools."

As to the Duchess, Bristol suggested "let us meet after York's chapel service on Sunday.  We can go for a ride in a carriage."  Catholic lords and ladies were apt to worship in York's small Catholic chapel on Sunday mornings.

Lauderdale and Dundarg

Douglas claimed he lacked power over the McBain girls.  This drew a sad smile of recognition from Lauderdale.  Did he not wear the breeches in the family, or at least aspire to do so.  "Well then, this will be a worthy test for you perhaps."

The reception was winding down and he wished to return to his rooms. "I shall  see you Sunday then.  I bid you good day," the Duke added as a farewell, moving towards the royal couple as well.

Charles and Henrietta

Henrietta nodded. “And all of them renowned for it. I hope my salons will show the average lady that she can be more than a wife and mother, that she can pursue her interests in subjects generally considered to be the realm of gentlemen. My salons will be a safe place for them to gather and discuss ideas. Who knows? Maybe the next great invention will start with a woman’s desire to make something better. Or perhaps a woman will find a way to cure a disease or influence political thinking. Not only do men need to think of women differently, but they need to think of themselves differently in order to realize their full potential."

She thought that Lord Chatham’s smile was endearing. It made her tingle. “And yes, I know it is only a beginning.” She held his own gaze unflinchingly, truly believing what she said. “But change has to start somewhere. Why not with me?”

Henrietta would have been happy if they studied together that afternoon, but understood that he probably had other plans. “Sunday afternoon is fine. What shall our subject be?” She grinned mischievously. “Don't answer that.  Why don’t you surprise me?”

They both agreed that approaching the King at this stage in their relationship might cause more harm than good. “Yes, please. I think my father will appreciate you seeing me safely back to them.”

Francis and Frances

The Duchess of Richmond did not consider herself particularly brave but she was pleased with Lord Kingston’s compliment. She simply knew how these things went, having been lambasted by the broadsheets herself. He was handling it much better than she did, but he was not nearly as young and innocent as she had been.

“Maybe they will. Give them something positive to talk about and the insults will stop sooner. All you really have to do is be yourself. You are nothing like the man they describe in their publications. And if anyone does avoid you because of it, they were not worth your time to begin with.”

Frances laughed. “You will get used to it, and may even come to enjoy it. His Grace has good taste. You can’t go wrong if you follow his advice.”

She blushed like a young maiden when Francis complimented her yet again. “Nothing scandalous has happened yet this season, but when it does, I shall definitely point the reporters in that direction. Or if that fails, I will simply make something up.” She leaned closer and lowered her voice. “Maybe we can come up with some juicy bits of gossip together.”

Dorset and Cambray

“I shall keep your advice in mind,” she grinned. Anne-Elisabeth had hoped that she would be able to spend tonight with Dorset, but letting one’s desire blaze into a raging inferno often led to a more amazing and satisfying climax. She supposed she could wait until tomorrow night. It would give her some time to practice being manly again.

Unfortunately, she still only had one set of gentleman’s clothes. Maybe Dorset could help her acquire another. She needed a set of commoner’s clothes to in order to convince a publisher to print her epic, assuming she was able to write something worth reading.

Unable to resist touching him, Anne-Elisabeth stepped closer. With both their hands hidden behind the folds of her skirt, she briefly entwined her fingers with his and then stroked the inside of his wrist before letting go. “Very well,” she agreed. “Shall we meet at the bathhouse or would you rather we arrive together?”

The Toledos with George and Caroline departing

Sophia flinched at the cacophony of cheers that erupted in the vicinity of the King and Queen.  It was so loud that she doubted she would be heard if she said anything else to Caroline.  Her friend and Lord Chichester moved away to the back of the line. There would be plenty of time for them to talk tomorrow.

“I’m so glad those two found each other,” she said to Esteban. “I plan to invite them to dinner a few days after their wedding.”

So much noise was starting to give her a headache.  "Do you think you could arrange a private audience with the King and Queen?"  Surely they would not refuse a meeting with the Spanish Ambassador.  "Then we can give them our good wishes privately."

Dundarg Leaving Lauderdale

Maitland's sad smile was almost condescending; that rankled. Catriona and her management of the girls - or lack thereof - was a major source of irritation for Douglas. His Majesty had given her care of them, despite the fact they were technically his wards, and as always the bastard was left out of considerations. Then the older man said something unexpected. A worthy test? It caught Douglas's attention, for he doubted Lauderdale would say such a thing flippantly. In the next moment the elder statesman was bidding him farewell. 

"Till Sundae, yer Grace. God keep ye." No doubt his sister would add 'preferably somewhere hot an uncomfortable'. Cat was going to flip when she heard that he was trying to edge into Lauderdale's service, so the man was right. How he handled this was going to be a test. His sister hated Lauderdale with a passion, and little logic. He'd have to think about how to approach both this, and their relationship in general. Just as he had no control over her, she had no control over him, and she didn't have as much control over their sisters as she'd no doubt like. He wondered whether that was what scared her. 

The queue to congratulate Their Majesties was already a bit longer when the tall Scotsman joined it, deep in thought. 

Dorset and Cambray

He returned a squeeze of her hand and then let go of hers as he moved his two hands into plain sight.  He was being watched and did not plan to allow others outside the Gang to draw clues about his relationship with Anne.  It would only provide more ammunition to Newcastle in his cry of foul dealings.

"Let us arrive separately.  I want to judge you attire and wig when you arrive," he chuckled.  The reception was winding down as the courtiers waited ti wish the royal couple good health and then left the area.

The Toledos

"By all means invite the couple," Esteban agreed.  "It would brighten the evening.  I agree that we wait until after they are wed, to see if they glow or growl at each other," he chuckled lightly.

"Si, I am to have an audience with the King.  It is to discuss business," he added so that she would understand that such things were not the place for ladies.  "Perhaps you join me to present our present and then you withdraw so that we can discuss business," he offered.

Eleanor, the Mountjoys, and a pair of Germans

“Truly?” John Frederick replied, “the many little things make for a large difference, though surely in matters of morality and expectations we would find consensus.  I had just been asking your Lady Wife’s opine upon a the correctness of one of poor repute taking leisure near the precious daughters and wives of the realm.”

His eyes flicked over towards Kingston as he spoke, before retuning then to Blount.

The Girls

Perhaps Eleanor witnessed the hint of concern upon Dorotheas face at the topic the elders remained (for her brother had been persisting this vein of thought prior). 

“I have in fact been in England for near a full year, so am coming much to terms with things now.” She was happy to conduct a quieter conversation with the other young lady, and moved a hair close even, to do so. “You might feel you own adjustments as you settle, I am right in guessing this is your debut season?”

Elizabeth, Darlene and Henry

It went right over her head that gentleman now before them weakened her case with the Duchess that she was on the proverbial shelf. 

"Practising?" Darlene teased, "with whom, ought I be jealous?"

Though that did not halt her from being naturally flirtatious.

Lady Ablemarle was genial, accepting the new arrival with a warm gesture. Kisses to hands were delivered and accepted, it was a pretty little scene, a dance of itself. 

"But natural philosophy is a genre, or genres close to your family Your Grace." Darlene knew what upon account of what the late Duke had told her. Even the women in the Cavendish family were encouraged to dabble with the sciences, and the late Margaret had spoken at a Society meeting once.  "As is my brother in fact. He studies quite broadly, but I was most fascinated with his work on vacuums. 

She gave a nod to the Barons suggestion, eyes raising questioningly for Elizabeth’s consent also.

Eleanor, the Mountjoys, and a pair of Germans

One could not help but overhear what the gentlemen were talking about of course, what with their being so close, and Eleanor tried to subtly follow the Margrave's glance in the other direction behind the fluttering of her fan. Was he indicating the young, blonde fellow, the one her companion had called Kingston? Lord Mountjoy had not seemed to think ill of him. She said nothing of course, but listened with interest. And she didn't seem to be the only one, for she was certain a momentary look of concern crossed Princess Dorothea's face in the same moment. Perhaps she should ask Lord Grey about the fellow.

The Girls

Meanwhile Dorothea addressed Eleanor's question. "Why, then you would be more accustomed to the English court than I." She admitted, a little shyly. "This is my debut, yes, and it seems I have written the fact on my fan." She joked, seeing no point in doing anything other than making light of the situation. Clearly it was normal and her desire to seem worldly and self-assured was just a pipe dream. Best to let it go and roll with it; there did seem to be some advantages in being seen as a debutant after all. 

A year seemed a long time for the German Princess to have been at court; clearly there was something keeping her here. Wouldn't it be nice if they could be friends? "I've never travelled to the continent." She admitted. Wouldn't it be wonderful to do so, one day? "I imagine you might miss your home at times, but is there something you've found you particularly enjoy here?" She asked, interested in the differences but wanting to focus on happier topics than sad ones. 

Caroline and George queue

Yes George knew who she meant by that, he’d been overlooking similar comments like that for some months now.  Caroline’s contempt for Spain was dug in deep. One day he would need to address the topic, and educate her, but not right now in the middle of a room full of his peers.

“I wonder if we missed her singing for the Royal couple, for she would not be Lady Toledo if she did not celebrate in such a way. What a pity, for I do so enjoy her voice, she is verily a songbird.”

His fiancée was musician too, but modest of her accomplishment, so not likely to put upon a performance just off the cuff. Rather, Caroline needed some coercion to play, and due time to practise beforehand.  She was also a musical perfectionist.  Which was a point that made George proud.

Henry, Darlene and the Duchess

The Duchess wore her practiced smile as the English baron tried to flirt with Darlene.  Being English, Elizabeth had no immediate disregard for the man.  He was older, but that could be an advantage for a younger lady.  So, it seemed that her good friend had a suitor after all.

Darlene flirted back, which was a good sign.  "Yes, natural philosophy.  Lady Oakham has a special interest in the field.  We Cavendishes only dabble."  She wanted Darlene to take the lead.

The red handkerchief caught her eye.  She was told to look for red as a sign of a connection to the spirit world.  She would need to keep an eye on this gentlemen, or perhaps Darlene could do so for her.

She had already congratulated the royal couple with her husband earlier, but there was no reason to let on,  "Yes, do escort us Lord Grey."  She stayed a step behind Darlene for the first time, since Darlene and Baron Grey were now a couple.

Francis & Frances

The Duchess tried to make him feel better in the midst of the writings and talk, and though the intentions were true, the words were optimistic to a hyperbolic degree in many ways. 

He was not naïve enough anymore to think this was just about nobles upset that an upstart had usurped some of them and their offspring. Such happened all the time without such results. He realized at least some of it was not about him at all but about Buckingham. Thus it was little about his actual character; it was only about what ammunition could be mobilized to wound him and the duke thereby.

Sure, another scandal would shift gossip and talk, but someone was paying to publish. That was not just gossip but something greater.

"I'm not certain my reputation can wait long enough for something of weight enough to happen to take the attention off me," he commented. 

"I mean it as a compliment, but you are far more skilled at gossip and controlling talk than I am," he said. "It is not a skill one cultivates at sea. Ladies seem to have far more ability in controlling the flow of scandalous information at court. I may be able to suggest a few targets for the talk, though." He offered a wry grin.

It seemed that many of the courtiers were already leaving and the morning reception seemed to be nearing a close. 

"Perhaps we can meet in the Crimson Drawing room one afternoon, and start up an impromptu game of cards and have a proper conversation without so many eyes and ears around." he said the last part more quietly. "Monday? I attend the King Saturday into Sunday so will be otherwise occupied."

His blue eyes cast around.

"The morning seems to be reaching a close, and I wished to catch my cousin Dorset before he leaves. I have yet to offer my support after what's happened, having been in York for recess. You will forgive me, I hope?"

A Pair of Mountjoys a Pair of Germans and a single Eleanor.

Charles followed the Margrave’s gaze and deliberately scrutinized Kingston so there was no confusion as to the subject. He then turned his attention back to Johan Friedrich and stated. “I observe no gentleman of that description My Lord.”  He smiled politely. “One thing that I have found constant in all the Courts I have visited is that there is never a dearth of intrigue amongst the courtiers. Lord Kingston has risen rapidly from moderately humble beginnings…” Being from an old aristocratic family himself he tilted his head to acknowledge the fact of rapid rise was not ideal. “But he is not grasping or covetous of his social superiors and has served his sovereign well. I believe I have heard the same tales as your Highness and, although I have found several of them humorous, I have treated all of them with skepticism.” In the polite language of the English drawing room, he had just clearly stated his position on the matter.

“I am sure that there will be all sorts of entertainments planned that may prove amusing. If you enjoy riding or hunting Herr Margrave, I will be happy to accompany you. Or perhaps a pleasant carriage ride in the company of the Ladies might be more enjoyable. The Park here is conducive to many activities if you are inclined to the outdoors in any way. There is even the river for punting or I can order up my barge if your amusements tend to the more aquatic.”  He looked around to see if any of his suggestions were amenable to the Ladies.

“Lady Dorothea, I know having you would like to spend as much time with your brother as possible during his visit but perhaps such an outing would be exhilarating for the both of you. And Mistress Eleanor, I would certainly extend the same invitation to you and Lord Grey if the prospect of listening to German being spoken does not deter you.”  

Charles and Henrietta

"Why not indeed Selene?" Charles agreed, admiring the resolve he could see in Henrietta's eyes. It stirred him a little, he admitted to himself, but then he had never had much regard for vapid milksops. He let himself enjoy it for a bare moment before inclining his head to break the eye contact.

That mischievous grin had an appeal of its own, too, and he answered it in kind, eye dancing.

"Bold of you to challenge me to surprise you," he laughed. "A worthy challenge, too, given the breadth and eclectic nature of your interests. I shall have to think well on it, before Sunday."

He offered her his arm and looked about the room for sign of her parents.

"Where did you leave their graces?"

A Marchioness, A Mademoiselle, and a James

James realized his faux pas, a comment made in the haste to impress, to preen as a courtier might, a bit too late. Details of certain courtiers still managed to escape him, particularly in these…ebullient moods, where being the refreshing breeze was a strong wind unto itself. Fortunately, neither lady was unkind enough to fully point out the mistake he had made.

“One day, I should like to hear this tale of a woman at the head of the militia, if you would oblige me,” James offered honestly – being both genuinely intrigued and aware that those with connections with Ireland were on the list of those whom the Baron O’Neill ought know his son impressed. “It is, in fact, precisely the sort of thing upon which one of my recent works is based – the ladies of these isles rising in defense of their person and our Virtues.”

His Boudica also stood for ardor and battle, passion and magic, but the libertine themes would be made obvious as The Rising made its rounds.

At the mention of Worchester’s Regiments, the poet made a polite smile. An indifferent swordsman who had studied under Italy’s artistic academies rather than accept a commission, military affairs seemed rather dull, sport for the uncivilized. But when one was in the company of one of the Old Names… “Is that so, my lady? Such splendor speaks well upon their organizers…” He chuckled boyishly, brogue bouncing through his words. “Which then leaves the rest of us the much lesser honor of lauding it – but then we cycle back to my work, and I fear that I will rival the plague in fatalities if I continue to bore the court to death with self-promotion.”

Hopefully, implying (mostly untruthfully) that one had patrons could inspire others to a cause. If not, there was still the feedback of Sedley and Rochester to wait for. And then, to Nicci, as the pair recollected their fevered antics of long ago…

“I suspect that His Majesty will soon be weary, given all that has transpired. Is that not so?” He looked to the Frenchwoman for confirmation. Eyebrow arched, suggesting they could speak on this later. “Perhaps something of a good-spirited ambush, once all the ceremony is concluded…?”

Caroline and George Queue

George made no reply to her latest less than subtle dig at the ambassador. Well she had after all been polite to the man's face, she certainly should not have to pretend in their privacy. She left it at that though as they joined the line of well wishers.

George wondered if they had possibly missed Sophia performing for the Royals. She smiled when he stated the obvious.

"Yes indeed,  Sophia would not be if Sophia if she did not jump at any chance at all to show off that voice of hers.  And you are right, I think she is the finest singer I've ever heard. I've enjoyed accompanying her on occasion in the past. Not sure if you have ever heard any of our duets?"

"By the look of her soon enough she will be singing lullabies to her baby. I hope all goes well for her. First births can oft be....well, challenging," she remarked, or so she'd heard.

Francis and Frances

“Oh, I have already set a few courtiers straight when I heard them talking about you, and pointed out your positive qualities instead. And I have told my friends to do the same. People still listen to me, you know, so maybe they will believe me instead of those broadsheets. They are notorious for printing lies.”

The Duchess smiled conspiratorially. “I would like to hear them. New fodder is always needed to cultivate the grapevine in the right direction. And that, of course, is away from you. I will be happy to meet you in the Crimson Drawing room for a game of cards, and I happen to be free on Monday afternoon.”

She frowned when Lord Kingston spoke of offering support to Dorset. “What happened to him was too horrible.” Of course she knew about it. She believed she knew everything that went on at court, though most of her information came from that grapevine she had recently mentioned. Frances made a delicate shooing motion with her hands. “Go on. You can make it up to me on Monday.”

Anne-Elisabeth leaving Dorset and joining John

Dorset squeezed her hand, sending  bright thrills of pleasure spinning down her spine.  Anne-Elisabeth wished they could just sneak away together now.  She had expected that he would rather them meet at the baths, but she had wanted to give him the option of playing a joke on the attendants by arriving with another ‘gentleman,’ Maybe he was trying to protect her from Pembroke, who could still be a threat to him. He might be a threat to me too once he reads my epic. By writing under a male nom de plume, he wouldn’t know who she was but a man with his power could probably find out.

“I will look like a perfect gentleman, I assure you.” She favored him with a cheeky smile. “And now I think we should part or we might find ourselves the subject of the latest gossip.” Anne-Elisabeth hoped that he would appreciate her discretion. Courtiers were nosy creatures and it was never wise to speak to a member of the opposite sex for too long.

“Until tomorrow night, my lord.” With a saucy wink, she slipped into the crowd.

It took her a few minutes to find Lord Silverbridge. “There you are!” she exclaimed as she approached him. “I’m sorry I could not join you earlier but one doesn’t leave when the royals are on their way.”

The Toledos

Esteban was joking with her? And laughing? Sophia had noticed that he was no longer as dour as he had been in the past and seemed more content. Was it because of the baby, even though it wasn’t his (and probably wasn’t even Juan’s)? Or was the relationship between England and Spain improving? She liked the change in him, whatever the reason. Now if I could only convince him to wear something other than black.

“They will be happy,” she predicted. “I know they will be. But they do need a few days to settle into their marriage before they attend any social engagements.”

Maybe her husband’s good mood had to do with his upcoming meeting with the King. She reached up to massage her aching temples. People were beginning to leave, but it was still noisy. “I should like to present our gift to the King.” An idea popped into her head. “And maybe I can sing a short aria before I go.  His Majesty enjoys my voice.  It might make him more amenable to the business you plan to discuss with him."

That idea was expanding to include a musical gift for the Queen at another time. Sophia already knew that she like her singing too. And Caroline could come along and play her cello. She would bring it up tomorrow when her friend came for tea.

Elizabeth, Darlene, and Henry

Darlene had a natural gift for flirting, one that Henry lacked, but appreciated, so he tried to play along. “Lady Oakham, if you consider it necessary to be jealous of a stern and ancient man, with a wart on his nose, who am I to contradict?” He was not trying to flirt with Darlene, but she was such agreeable company that she brought Henry’s playful aspect out, something hardly ever seen.

“The Cavendishes are rightly famous for their interest in Natural Philosophy”, Henry said. “His Grace the First Duke, may God grant him rest, was the core of many learned circles where much was discussed, and a member of the Royal Society. I wish I had had the privilege to have met him. Lord Devonshire is also a member I admire very much. Both are men I would very much like to emulate”. Then Darlene mentioned her brother’s vacuum research. “Vacuums? How Interesting! Perhaps you would grant me the boon of introducing me to him at some point?” Any scientist was worth meeting, even those cruelly treated by the Fates by having been sent to Oxford.

Henry then offered his arm to Darlene. He would offer his other arm to the Duchess if she caught up with the pair. As he was totally oblivious to the Duchess’ thoughts, he was simply being himself.

Nicci, Lady W., & an Irishman

Lady Worcester smiled at Nicci whilst listening to the Irishman talk.

"Well, of course, I shall be happy to tell of it," she said to the young man. "The parlours of Windsor can become dreadfully boring without a good story or two."

Then she added, with a point of her fan, "Your work? You shall have to tell of that as well." 

"Pssshhh, self promotion is what all of court is about, young sir. Do not pretend otherwise." She tittered with amusement. "Across all ranks."

When the pair began to talk of something more between the two of them, Lady Worcester said, "Ahhh, I see Dear Worcester is giving me the look. I shall see you both soon." She then said to Nicci, "Let us look forward to our jaunt through the park!" With that she waved her fingers at the pair and ventured back into the crowd. 

Lord Worcester was, indeed, giving her the look of desiring departure. It was best to leave people wanting of your company rather than exhausted of it.

Francis leaving Frances & Joining Dorset

"Until Monday, then," Francis said, smiling at her little shooing motion. 

He dipped his head and then moved back into the crowd, noting that the young lady had left Dorset. How fortuitous. Now he wouldn't interrupt anything.

"Good morning, cousin," he said with a smile. "Who was that beauteous young lady you were keeping company?"

The Toledos

Accepting what Sophia said about George and Caroline, Esteban nodded.  He would let his friend have some peace before imposing any social responsibility upon the new couple.

He agreed that Sophia could join him to present the gift, but shook his head at the rest.  "No Sophia, just because the King, and everyone, enjoys your voice, does not mean that it is expected or maybe even welcomed to begin singing at every encounter.  Premiero, your singing could be harmful to the child in your belly. Segundo, your singing should only be for social gatherings where it is invited."  He was worried that she could become the subject of ridicule for uninvited singing at the drop of a greeting.  "If no one else invites you to sing at one, we can host our own party," he offered.

The line was long to greet the royal couple.  "I have an appointment Monday at quatro with the King.  You can join me for the first few minutes of the gift presentation and then withdraw with your maid and Karl.  He was already angling her away from the line and back towards the town.