JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Sunday Chapel (Sept 18, 1678)

Blackguard

Chatham and Northampton

"As a matter of fact I do have his name, Edward Kynaston.  There, perhaps that shall be some use to you.”   

Northampton blinked, his eyes sliding past Chatham but not meeting, and for a moment his brow pinched. Perhaps in response to something Chatham said.

“Hmm, yes I dare say. While opinions are funny things aren’t they, and really amount to not much.” For a moment he paused, wanting to ask the man who the 'Other' opinion mentioned might belong to? But thinking better of it he simply gave a nod.

“Very good.” He uttered, he did not like Charles farewell any more than the greeting.

Turning swiftly, he left.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nicci and Anne-Elisabeth

“Thank you my sweet.” Nicci was grateful, though she hardly understood the depths of the plot, she would learn what she could so at to report it to those we might better understand.  

“Somewhere public would be my preference, there is more safety when others are about.”  because she literally believed that there was danger afoot. 

“Oh goodness, and look at me, I’ve not even asked you of how you are yet.  I saw you were bantering with the Merries at The Reception, looking very comfy in their set -  though I doubt you can repeat a word of what was said here, in the house of god.”    

Catriona and the Hamiltons

What sort of person, high or low, did not enjoy bakery goods?  The disclosure that treats might be forthcoming caused smiles to emerge.

Baking seemed a wholesome hobby and Arlington had thought to try and dispel the persona of royal mistress with something more traditional.  Both sisters had much to overcome in polite society, so the Earl thought to take tiny steps in the beginning to create a favorable foundation to build upon.

The Hamiltons paused for any parting words of Fiona and then took their leave.  This meant that the Scottish sisters were free to seek other company while the rich and powerful lingered in the chapel. 

George and Baptist

"Ah," May replied with a smile, as if he understood completely.  Truth was, he was unsure of what George was referencing, other than George's previous visit to discuss possible offices available.  The Earl indicated that he interrupted merely to provide good wishes.  That was rare.  Everyone approaching May always wanted something.  Some were more transparent than others.

The invitation to cards was a surprise.  Was there an ulterior motive?  There often was to a man in his position.

"Yes, a good round of cards can be quite enjoyable.  Why do you ask my lord?"

Beverley and Friends

What with the talk of telescopes, then Cadells mention that even his wife would attend, Mary caught his eye directly, “Which reminds me…” her gaze slid to the others in the group, then returned to Cadell, “Lord Athenry, I would very much like to have a word with you in private.” There were rumours of a salon, and her mistress wanted to know more.

So rather than Cadell thinking that he and Henry might need depart, he was drawn aside by Lady Beverley who wanted to ask him a small something about his Lady Wife, well rather, her cousin.

Which reduced their grouping some, even as Cordelia lingered somewhere nearby trying to catch Henrys’ eye. 

“Oh Beverly, but Lord Grey has just explained the many details, now he shall need to repeat himself.” Anne chimed in to her brothers innocently asked question, “There are to be torches so we don’t fall over walls.” She chuckled some at that, looking back towards Lord Gray.     

George and Baptist

"In that case I invite you to join us for my looming last night of freedom as they say.  Lord Athenry is arranging everything, but there shall be card games, I know it." smiled George,  "There are bound to be others there of your acquaintance also, I am sure, though when playing cards strangers can swiftly become friends. Ha, and friends, enemies, if luck is ill tuned."

In cheery spirits George invited May along to what he believed would be a very small, and mostly quiet, gathering of men.

Master of the Kings Music

While Sophia was waiting for Mr Killigrew to be free, she might catch a glimpse of Nicolas Staggins, he'd just seperated from a conversation with Countess Sussex (who had been a student of his prior to her marriage).  

He was exquisitedly dressed in an ocean blue with a gold latticework jacket, with darker blue breeches ending at the knees in plumped ribbons. Cravat, shirt and stockings were all a fresh white, with pinchbeck buckles on his shoes.

Kingston and the Bishop

Misunderstanding settled, the Bishop gave a nod, and felt ready to set the subject aside.  He had digressed at length with Francis when in the chapel at an idle hour, but the chapel was currently thrumming with talk following the Sunday sermon.  

Making a half turn with a nod that invited Francis to walk with him he said, “It’s come to my attention that All Saints Chapel in Kingston is in a declined state, the tower having been taken down for safety’s sake.  I wonder if perhaps your participation in a project like this might assist restore more than just it’s spire?”

Ref: I know you hate wiki, but this is what I have 

"Of course, I would happily do so, if only for the people. It needn't have anything to do with these other matters," Francis said. "The town is historic to our land in many ways, after all. She deserves a restoration of her beauty. I'd rather my lady mother get most the credit for such things. She does, after all, preside over the estate; it is not mine."

It one day would be, and he held a title as well for it, but the original gift had been to her from the King. He would not be fully master of the estate until she was gone which he hoped was not for a good, long time.

Sophia approaching Nicolas Staggins

As her queasiness began to ease, Sophia changed her mind about approaching Master Killigrew. Until she knew whether or not Esteban planned to go ahead with the play he had spoken to her about last season, she probably shouldn’t mention it. Her husband might have given up the idea altogether as far as she knew.

Her wandering gaze came to rest on Nicolas Staggins. He had helped her with the concert last season. Perhaps he would also be able to arrange a performance at the christening with Caroline. Standing up, she stretched and walked over to him. “Good morning, Master Staggins,” she said with a warm smile. “I’m pleased to get the chance to speak to you.” She glanced at the retreating Countess. “You seem to be quite popular today.”

Sophia approaching Nicolas Staggins

"Lady Toledo, I am blessed to see you again."

"Ha-ha," he amused, "yes I am most extremely popular at these sort of stages, what with the pending Christening I have been rushed off my feet." 

Sophia's arrival was testament to that very fact, he'd not seen hide nor hair of her since she'd last desired his help, to which he'd not even recieved a thank you note.  She wanted something again, he was certain - though he'd not yet found how this relationship was reciprocal. 

Kingston and the Bishop

Here Compton bent his head nearer, "Your innocence is showing by such a comment, while I would suggest that your Lady Mother might be pleased for you to gain such credit. Rumours of largesse in alms to the Church is a deft parry to those others you are concerned about." 

Rightening himself again he said in a tone loud enough to be overheard, "Kingston sets a fine example, there being many a Church roof that needs tending. Why, I am nearly inclined to bring with me a list. Ah, but to read such a thing out in a service would be far too pointed." he smiled, and having reached his destination (well, a spot just prior to it) he paused to bid Francis farewell.  

Compton was intent to join a mixed bag of Men of God, Adrian Hamilton, Percival Chesterford & Gilbert Burnet. 

Louis and Daniel Finch

Winchelsea was surprised as Basildon approached him*.  

"How do you do?" he replied as he realised that Louis' intended target was busy.  Daventry currently in such a deep conversation that he failed to notice Louis approach.   But Daniel, he was rather more the spectator this day, and was not bogging himself down with weighty matters.

* You said Finch, not which Finch! 

Chatham and Northampton

Edward Kynaston.

Charles fixed the name in his mind. It meant nothing to him at the moment, but perhaps investigation might uncover a link.

"Hopefully so my lord. Thank you."

Mary had once said something about actors, or at least actresses, he recalled, when he had convinced her to try opium. Had that been a revelation prompted by her intoxication, or had it just been a fatuous observation prompted by something equally fatuous he had said?

Putting the thought aside, he turned slightly, trying to see in his peripherals if Northampton had been looking at something specific behind him or simply been avoid eye contact.

He was not going to get anything further out of the other earl, Charles decided, at least not then and there, and so he raised no objection as the man left. He could not resist the temptation to make an ever so slightly threatening farewell, though, and took a certain petty enjoyment in seeing that it discomfited Northampton, at least a little.

Putting that childishness aside, Charles stood, frowning pensively and considering what he had learned. (Little enough, in truth, but it all bore consideration).

George and Baptist

May was relieved to hear the result of the inquiry.  It seemed the question innocent enough.

"I should be glad to join my lord."  It sounded a pleasant diversion.  It made Baptist wander what George was like in private.  He was a complex man at court.  "I shall look for my invitation."

If there was nothing more, May was content to wonder onward.  There were a number of other courtiers that had asked to see him.

Nicci and Anne-Elisabeth

“I will suggest a walk in the Little Park. There are always people there.” Anne-Elisabeth considered asking Sir John to ride with her instead, but then he would be on a horse and could just ride away if he saw Nicci and didn’t want to speak to her. The Countess would miss her chance to talk to him too, though she rather doubted he would still be there by the time she arrived. “How long do you think I should wait until I join you? I will not be hiding nearby so that you can have privacy.”

Her friend asked about her then, and Anne-Elisabeth grinned. “I can’t even tell you the topic of conversation while we’re here. I really enjoy their company and hope to one day be accepted as one of them. I also have another goal … to become part of His Majesty’s entourage. I want to be one of the courtiers he likes to have around him when he wants to be entertained.

“I have already impressed him with my wit a few times, but I need to be brought to his attention every now and then.” She glanced slyly at Nicci. “In fact, you are in the perfect position to help me with that, if you would like to.”  A favor for a favor was not so much to ask.

Cat and Fiona parting with the Hamiltons

Fiona politely expressed her pleasure at meeting the family, smiling warmly. She really did want to see them again … and not just their son … for she planned to charm them all so thoroughly that they would think it was their own idea to marry her to their heir. As she and her younger sisters would be with Douglas all afternoon, perhaps she could find a moment alone with him to discuss strategy. He always had the best ideas.

“Well, I think I just met my future husband,” she remarked when she and Cat were alone again.

Beverley and Friends

“Your lord husband has been the perfect gentleman, Lady Beverley”, Henry replied to Mary. “One would wish others were more like him”. Including myself. Henry was too absent-minded sometimes and, although good manners had been birched into him in his youth, he forgot them once in a while, even though he did not mean to. He merely did not notice as his thoughts were elsewhere.

It was then that Henry noticed Cordelia. It seemed that she either wanted to have a private word with him, or she wanted to join their group. Which one is it? His musings were interrupted by Beverley’s words.

“I thank you for your kindness, Lord Beverly”, the Baron replied to the man’s words regarding not needing to depart. He was about to continue when Lady Beverley asked Cadell if she could have a private word with him. The Baron fell silent and bowed formally to them as they departed.

A small smile appeared on his lips as Lady Doneraile referenced the torches. “Present company would not have need of them, my lady, but others at court might”. Like the libertine set. “Stargazing is best done without torches, but I would not want an accident to happen”. There was a horrified look in Henry’s face as he thought about the possibility of a courtier falling from the tower onto their death.

Lord Grey then turned back to Beverley. “As for the ramparts, I met His Majesty the King on what I surmise must have been his morning constitutional yesterday. He was amenable to the idea of the event, and I do hope he will attend. He even thanked me for making my instruments available to other courtiers…” the last thought was not voiced in boasting. It actually sounded as if Henry felt humbled by the King’s words “… which reminds me. Lord Beverley, would it be all right if a fourth instrument was added? An acquaintance has one, brought it to Windsor, and asked if it would be allowed”.

Henry’s eyes noticed Cordelia again. “Lady Doneraile, Lord Beverley, would you mind if I ask Lady Cordelia Lucas to approach? She is a relation of the Duke of Newcastle, and a friend, and I cannot help but notice her standing alone nearby…”

George and Baptist

"That's great, I'll send you a note with more details as soon as they are firmed up." George was happy that Baptist like the idea of a night out.  For as much as he knew the other, May was not one of the infamous Merry Gang, but he no doubt enjoyed some social life never the less. 

"Im glad I caught you." George gave a nod with the sense that the other was content to move along again through the ever thinning mob, and so they sperated again, a general pleased feeling all about.

Here George moved towards where he'd last seen the Ladies (Habersham and Despanay)...

Nicci and Anne-Elisabeth

“That sounds perfect, and I think half of an hour would be ample.” Nicci replied, imagining that she’d need some while to try soften him into conversation. Half an hour was not long, but it might be just enough.

She chuckled as AnneE agreed she couldn’t even say the topic while stood in the Chapel.  Which meant it must be Fucking, which, year in and out, continued to be the Merry Gangs favourite topic.   

Then came a blink. “Well if you are embraced into the Merry Gang, then there you will have achieved your wish. For those are the exact same few whom His Majesty gathers around himself when he want to make merry.”

Discomfort tingled up her spine at her friends voiced ambition, Anne Elizabeth wanted to be even closer to the King that than the Marry Gang could get her.  

Nicci’s Frenchness would have her skirt around this topic, and not contest it head on – but Anne Elizabeth was not French. And might not even grasp a subtler discussion.  So it was that Nicci drew a breath, “But to hold closer intimacy than his prankster friends... then you mean only one thing.  And if you try that then you cross me.”

Beverley & Friends

Beverley chuckled and then smiled at his sister's chastisement, for he hadn't been thinking about torches at all. He had been thinking of the arrangements to make sure nothing got stolen! Though he could hardly confess that he hadn't been thinking about courtiers falling over the battlements now.

"That is quite the lucky happenstance, Lord Grey," Beverley commented. "And bodes well for the event's success. It, erm, wouldn't been a poor idea to let people overhear you say so, for any event where His Majesty might appear garners much attention."

He raised a brow at the addition of more instruments. He supposed it would not hurt. His master was, after all, encouraging of scientific endeavors. 

"I do not foresee a problem with such a thing, one addition does not hurt, but we must take care to make certain every courtier does not see the battlements as a personal space for their devices," he replied, diplomatically.

"Of course," he added, knowing little of the lady himself but having heard a whisper or two of her match-making. He hoped she did not wish to interfere with his sister. His lord father would not take kindly to it and nor would his lady mother. 

And he rather doubted Annie would like it either!

Beverley, Anne and Henry

Anne's attention begun to drift as the men discussed some addition to what had been previously agreed, these details were (to be honest) boring. Though she was pleased hearing her brothers astute advice to Lord Grey.  Beverly was truly growing into a savvy courtier, yet so smooth with his advice to the relative newcomer to court to not let his light shine upon someone else’s bushel  Beverley then tempered his advice with a perfectly neutral addition, so that likely none overhearing might be any the wiser. 

Her genial smile remained in place throughout, and then came an unexpected request.  Gray wanted to invite a known matchmaker to join then. Naturally Anne was dismayed, she had no desire to be meddled with. 

Meanwhile her brother politely assented, he had little choice as a gentlemen but to. 

"Lord Gray, are you aware the lady in question is by habit a matchmaker?  You may keep her company of course, but I shall decline for not wanting to become a name upon lists that her circle then bandy about. My future you see, is my own to plan." Anne was not a hapless debutant, she held an option, and now spoke it gently yet plainly.  

Cordelia Being Social Yet Watching Lord Grey & Company

She was enjoying some good gossip with her other lady friends and was patiently waiting for Lord Grey to take his leave or for the others' to. She knew it was Lord Beverly but did not recognize the Lady. It was not Lady Beverly so she might be another relation of some kind. Sister or cousin perhaps. Either way she was well presented and it was only natural that her curiosity was aroused. Could she be the sister that Lord Grey had mentioned to her earlier   ......

She did hope that the rain would hold off and not cause a disruption. She wanted to talk about Mistress Eleanore with him and ask his opinion of her idea regarding a 'starting over' so to speak between the two of them.

The last thing she wanted however was to put him in an uncomfortable situation and make him obligated to include her within that circle. The three seemed to be having too intimate of a conversation or so she surmised.

And so she shifted her stance a bit which then caused the others in her Company to alter theirs. Comments were then raised about the Rain which any within easy distance might overhear.

She was thinking ahead you see and because she genuinely liked Lord Grey did not want to intrude.

Either way it would be that Gentleman that decided.

Edited by Cordelia Lucas

Beverley, Anne and Henry

“I bow to your wisdom, Lord Beverley. I will make it a point to mention His Majesty’s interest whenever appropriate. He wants to spark interest in scientific affairs within his court…” a thought did occur to Henry “… I do not want to be the cause of strain to the well-oiled machine that is the staff that runs Windsor, though”. It was an indirect compliment to Beverley’s abilities. “Nor do I want to attract the wrong type of crowd…” It ought to be a scientific event, not an orgy. “I mean, it is not to be for natural philosophers only, everyone is invited, and there will be ample food and drink to partake. But if my intention becomes a reality, attendees will leave with a more enlightened mind and a lighter heart”.

Henry had trouble translating feelings into words. He was perhaps not making as much sense as he should, but his conviction and enthusiasm were genuine.

The baron smiled thankfully as the Saint-Leger scion approved an additional telescope. “I promise not to fill the battlements with instruments as if they were cannon and we were expecting a siege, my lord” Lord Grey said with a mirthful tone, “and to keep you appraised, and ask your permission, of any changes”. The younger lord had been most polite and extremely helpful. No need to make his task of running the castle harder than it already was.

His mood sobered a little at the siblings’ replies at his request regarding Cordelia. Lady Lucas was a dear friend, someone Henry perceived as being lonely and needing companionship. Were it not for her age, she would have made a good candidate to become the next Lady Grey. The need for an heir was of the utmost importance, though.

How do I state this in as polite a way as I can?

“Lady Doneraile, I know Lady Cordelia Lucas has a reputation as a matchmaker. In this particular instance, though, I do not think she has her sights set on you, although how could one blame her if she did?” An attempt at an oblique compliment. A red tinge appeared in Henry’s ears. “I… hmm… I… may have asked for her help to help me find a suitable match… for myself…”

The academic world had put steel in Henry’s soul. He could debate with the best, not backing down unless he was proven wrong. But ladies were a different matter. He had no real experience with them. Having had no sisters, and never having courted a lady with intent to marry, Lord Grey simply did not know how to behave.

Sophia and Nicolas Staggins

Sophia had not sent Master Staggins a thank-you note because she had profusely expressed her gratitude after the concert to both him and Caroline, as she had been elated that she had been able to actually break glass with her voice.  It was a once-in-a lifetime feat that she was unlikely to accomplish again.

“I imagine that it’s a hectic time for you. I would love to assist you, if there is anything that you need. Do any instruments need fixing at Windsor?” Providing the funds to pay for the repairs was what she had done the last time she asked him for a favor. “The harpsichord is already in tune. I played it on Friday.”

The offer of assistance was nice, if  late. "Yes the harpsicord was just tuned a few weeks ago, I am sure you shall find everyting in perfect order. It has been a busy few months indeed - year really, getting ready for the Chrisening." 

Sophia possibly recalled that he'd been writing a march earlier on in the year.

"But thankfully I am now at the stage of enjoying the season myself now that everything is sorted."  There had been rehearsals etc during the weeks leading up, so that all the chinks had been worked out of the (musical side at least) ceremony. 

"I heard a whisper that The Ambassador is planning some sort of event later in the year. I wonder if I might assist you with that?." 

Louis and Daniel

While awaiting a chance to pay his respects the elder Finch, Louis encountered the elder son instead.  He had tried to become close with Heneage Junior but had not spent much time with Daniel.  The man had the reputation of being a ladies man and something of an upstart, but Basildon could hardly hold that against him, given his own past.

"Winchelsea, a good morning to you," Louis greeted. "I regret that we have not had much opportunity to get to know one another better."  It was important to stay on the good side of Lisa's family.

"How are things faring for your family?  Any excitement in the works or during the recess?"

George, Caroline, and Edith

As George bid farewell to Baptist May, he returned to the pew where he had left Edith and Caroline. The elder lady seemed to be watching everyone coming and going.

She was commenting to Caroline "did you see the lady that was wearing two shades of green that were not harmonious at all.  She should have worn pearls instead of that garish gold chain."  She was shaking her head in disdain.  And what sickly thin girl wears dark colors?" she announced to no one in particular.  "Dark accentuates thinness, not plumpness."  She sighed as she judged others that passed her by.

Nicci and Anne-Elisabeth

Nicci completely misunderstood her intention. Anne-Elisabeth waved a hand dismissively. “Oh, don’t be silly. I do not wish to become his mistress. Can you imagine me being faithful to one man? No thank you. I don’t even want to be alone with him so that nobody will draw the wrong conclusions." 

“I’m not sure if I will ever become a full member of the Merry Gang as no lady has yet achieved it. I want nothing more than they already have, but in my own right as a lady renowned for her wit. To do that, he needs to know I exist. If you can relay clever and amusing things about and sing my praises every now and then, it would help me immensely. But only if I do something clever, amusing, or witty. I would never ask you to lie for me.”

She smiled warmly. “If you would rather not assist me in this, I will understand.”

Edited by Anne-Elisabeth Devereux

Kingston and the Bishop

Here Compton bent his head nearer, "Your innocence is showing by such a comment, while I would suggest that your Lady Mother might be pleased for you to gain such credit. Rumours of largesse in alms to the Church is a deft parry to those others you are concerned about." 

Rightening himself again he said in a tone loud enough to be overheard, "Kingston sets a fine example, there being many a Church roof that needs tending. Why, I am nearly inclined to bring with me a list. Ah, but to read such a thing out in a service would be far too pointed." he smiled, and having reached his destination (well, a spot just prior to it) he paused to bid Francis farewell.  

Compton was intent to join a mixed bag of Men of God, Adrian Hamilton, Percival Chesterford & Gilbert Burnet. 

The bishop had a good estimation of his lady mother. She was exceedingly fond of her son and had already sacrificed much for him.

Francis looked around as the Bishop loudly complimented him for his attention to his church's roof, holding in his amusement. Perhaps a little public shaming would not be amiss with some of these peacocking lords.

"I shall dedicate myself to restoring All Saints then, my lord, but because it is the right thing to do, though I do appreciate your aid and advice." Which he clearly did, for he sought it enough. 

"Enjoy your day," he said by way of farewell. Sighting Heather's brother amongst those the bishop was to join, he gave the other a smile and a nod. They were friendly as Heather had asked Francis to keep an eye on her Chelsea house and her financial books whilst she was away. It had been a very long time now. It seemed ages ago now.

He turned after the bishop left his side and began making his way out, but with all the people yet there, it was not the simplest or quickest progression.

“I’m glad to hear that,” Sophia said sincerely. “Is there anything else musical that I can help you with? Are you planning anything for after the christening? Or even next season?”

She was surprised that Master Staggins had heard of the entertainment that Esteban was planning. Perhaps Master Killigrew had told him about it. “That project has been put on hold until after the baby is born. It’s still in the early stages at the moment, but if you would like to compose the music for it, we would both appreciate it. We can work together again,  I hope to write some of the lyrics.”

Sophia grinned. “My friend Lady Kendishall … who will be Lady Chichester in a couple of days ... would love to honor the new heir by performing at the christening ceremony.  You know what a great cello player she is."

Edited by Sophia de la Cerda