JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Sunday Chapel (Sept 18, 1678)

Blackguard

Sophia and Duncan

“Babies turn one’s life upside down, for the better I think”. Ellen had done that to him. “Especially boys. An heir is a source of much pride and joy”. He did not have one yet, but his mother had told Duncan that he had been that for his parents. Even though Ellen is not my heir, I love her so much… A bittersweet kind of love, as Ellen reminded him of Ophelia every time he saw her.

The viscount assented when told of the Spanish count’s absence at the Anglican service. “Please tell your lord husband that I send my respects. Perhaps Don Estéban would like to share a glass of Xérès with me if his duties allow”. Duncan needed to fill his time, lest his inner ghosts got the better of him. Besides, in the past he had sided with the Spanish party at court in ways that were not common knowledge. The previous Spanish ambassador had gifted him a cup-hilted rapier because of it. The Scot did not know if the new ambassador was aware of it.

As Sophia took his arm, he started walking without a definite destination. He would stop as soon as he felt that she slowed down.

Her squeezing his arm was much appreciated. “You are most kind, Doña Sophia”. Duncan had to fight tears by blinking a few times. “And if needed, I will take you up on that. There are things I know I will not be able to help her with, as much as I want to”. Ladies were, after all, better at understanding ladies, especially if they had gone through similar things. “She is too young to come with me to court without her mother to take care of her…” a pause, “besides, my mother feels useful by taking care of her granddaughter herself”. There was a wet nurse, of course, but Duncan’s mother had taken upon herself to take care of everything else.

Ellen… the son Sir Cedric should have had in ability, alas not not in gender. The girl had grit. Had she been a man, she would have been a formidable one. “I have not called on Sir Cedric. I arrived but yesterday. We need to sit down and share our grief”. Under normal circumstances the viscount would not have been as open about the topic, but Sophia had mentioned losing her father first, so he thought it would not be inappropriate. Besides, he was coming to realize that speaking about his loss helped him deal with it.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Louis and George

"Do I look calm?" George accepted Louis's friendly tease in the tone intended, while the next idea was less his idea of fun.  Luckily for him he had an out. "My groomsman shall no doubt arrange something, you know Athenry? Recently married to Portsmouth."  If Louis did not know the modest man already, he'd certainly know Louise.

"Ah yes the weather at this time of year on the channel is erratic at best.  Is she leaving via Rotterdam?  She might have been better to skip down the coast and cross from Calais, at the worst she might be stuck in a rather prettier town."

George had greater affinity for the French than the Dutch. 

"I've begun that painting." he piped in, having something more to say on that if Louis was still engaged with the topic. 

Chatham & Willoughby

"Money so new that there are still silk worms on their wardrobe.” Jonathan wrinkled his nose, it was only his abject distaste that he managee to live with himself.  He and his friends mocked the Tressiders, even if they were the only way he managed to live this life to which he was accustomed.

But was it even a little bit of selfless care for Chatham that had him dismayed at talk of the others marriage.  That the other thought he must

“But must you really?” he emphasised his words in effort to instill doubt in the other. “There are surely other more prudent methods in which to gain money. You need learn from my lesson, there is really nothing worse than being tied to a woman. And what is worst is that it’s not only the woman you marry, but her entire family.”

Then sighed and dramaticlly said, “Besides, how clever is your Henrietta really if she thinks you are a good match.”

George and Louis

"Athenry?  He is the Welshman married to Portsmouth.  No, I do not recall meeting."  Frankly, he was a friend of Portsmouth and thought her treated shabbily.  However, given his cousin was her replacement, he thought the dismissal of the Duchess was entirely fair.  "I should like to meet him."Louis was curious to see how awful the man was.  It would say what the King really thought of the mother of his children.

George demurred to his invitation, leading Louis to wonder if the man was something of a stick in the mud.  At least he had offered.

"Well, I am certain he shall have something clever in store for you."  He knew, of course, that there were more unicorns in existence than clever Welshmen.

"Your painting?  Yes, have you started the royal portrait then?"

Chatham & Willoughby

Charles listened carefully to Johnathan, for he surmised now that the other was speaking at least partly out of concern. Touching, really, but as always it was also a little vexing to have someone else presume to involve themselves so. His pride was frequently irrational, Charles knew, and there was really very little, if any, presumption here, but he could not help his nature.

"Money is strictly a secondary concern here. I need to marry because I need an heir," he explained. "If it was purely about money I'd wed one of the Doolittle chits. Much simpler."

His lips curved as he found himself unable to resist a little levity.

"At least until I was dragged off, either to Bedlam or to stand trial before the Lords for murder."

Johnathan seemed similarly eager to inject some humour, and Charles raised a hand to his chest, mock-wounded.

"Why sir, you cut me to the quick," he murmured, and laughed. 

"She is clever," he went on, "and somewhat ambitious, if unconventionally so, and worried that her future husband might stifle those traits." He shrugged. "I find neither intimidating – indeed, I find both appealing – and so she and I have the beginning of an understanding."

He hesitated.

"I appreciate your concern," he said at last, "but I have given no small thought to the matter. Shall we focus on merrier things? Your relative freedom, for instance."

Mountjoy alone

Charles moved away and wondered around lost in thought. To say his conversation with Langdon did not go as expected would have been a drastic understatement. Not only was he shocked that Langdon turned out to be the very man that had caused Darlene’s distress but that his appeal had been very impolitic. Perhaps this matchmaking thing was more difficult than it first appeared. He thought of informing Darlene of what he had inadvertently done but then thought better of it as it would probably make matters even worse. No, the best thing he could do was to hope that Darlene restrained herself and did not do anything rash.

As he was musing to himself he was not paying particular attention to any other group or if anyone was approaching.

George and Louis

"Then I shall be sure he includes you on whatever plans for Monday night unfolds - your introduction forthcoming." George replied cheerily.

Stuck in the mud might be a fair descriptor for this Earl whose tastes were for a private sort of social life.

"Not that one, but the one of the House of Lords meeting that we were inspired towards composing." George nudge the others memory, "If you recall, you thought you might cut a figure standing within that scene, with looks of admiration from those about." he chuckled of that last. 

"But yes, I have begun it, and it occurs to me that there might be some rivalry possible for that starring role.  Lesser things have been fodder for raffles at court.  Yes, so, unless you sway me I intend to petition the King for his approval of a gentleman’s raffle for that place in the painting.  Proceeds shall naturally go to the Navy." 

Chatham & Willoughby - and Mountjoy?

"Those are dropping like flies apparently." Jonathan spoke under breath of the Doolittle girls, before launching into a final bid; "But are you even thirty yet, you have plenty of time for heirs, besides you are not the last of the Chatham line." 

He knew enough of the other to know that he had a brother, even if it was a half, so there was no risk of the title reverting to the crown.

Alas, his friend seemed to set great stow in the Butler girl, who seemed to have a sway greater than mere family tree generating convenience. "Ack, you are fond of the chit." he accused then knowing it was the truth, "Next you shall start singing arias on monogamy and constance.  You are becoming a very boring fellow." 

Jonathan’s pout was a rosy bud of a thing, while he blinked at a figurative tear.

It was a graze of shoulder that then drew this pairs notice; the impeccable presence of Lord Mountjoy brushing near.  The Dandy gasped sightly, and with flare of eyes dissolved into a smile. "Oh darling, had I known you wanted to meet me..."

Would he make Chatham jealous by flirting to this never-before-met big wig? 

Nicci had enjoyed the service well enough, she was still new enough to attending Religious services in the open (CofE and Huguenot were near enough), that she took some pleasure in doing so. 

And today was the final reading of her best friends marriage Banns.  Nobody objected of course; and so in just a few days she'd be in the chapel again with Caroline making that huge step.  Hopefully she'd be terribly happy.  It was a big change she was intent upon. 

After the service Nicci moved about, her eyes slid briefly towards Oxford and she noticed Burgoyne near him.  The slowly unfolding events were a heart breaking tragedy, John had been such a kind soul. But now, he'd seemingly thrown his life away. To her thinking, what they had done, was close to treason. 

She had made a plan to secure time with that man in secret, and key to that plan was her friend Anne Elizabeth.  So it was she moved towards her, and just as her second best friend might have bumped into a gent, Nicci interrupted herself. 

Anne-Elisabeth leaving Dorset and bumping into - Nicci

"There you are my chouchou*." she gushed in upon Anne Elizabeth, giving a small and dismissive nod to the gent as she drew her friend to the side.

"You are precisely who I am looking for..."  

* French term of endearment, 'darling'

The Boys, Chatham Willoughby and Mountjoy

Preoccupied as he was with his own thoughts, he was inattentive enough to brush against someone. Resurfacing from his inner dialogue he only registered the fact that he had made contact with a person by the exclamation of darling. As an act of second nature, he immediately adopted an engaging smile and turned to bow in apology.

“The humblest of apologies my dear.” He said almost by rote before he realized it was a gentleman with which he had collided. Having had many Irish servants, he was well aware of the Gaelic affinity of addressing all persons as ‘darling’ and thought nothing of it aside from his error in responding. “Oh, you are a gentleman, how fortunate to collide into such an obliging fellow.’ By which he meant he was glad that he had not bumped a woman and that Willoughby was being such a good sport about it. After being so careless as to run into him the least Blount could do was to be obliging and give the man another encouraging smile.

He had certainly seen this man before but could not place him although he did note the fineness of his dress. He also noticed that the man had been speaking to Charles Audley with whom he had been introduced. “I extend my apologies to you as well Lord Chatham for interrupting your conversation by barging into your friend. Would you be so good as to introduce me to your handsomely dressed friend so I may make proper amends?”

In these types of awkward situations Blount felt it was only polite to be as obliging as possible.

Louis and George

"Yes, I should like that," Louis replied with feigned enthusiasm.  He would need to take the measure of the Welshman.

He was reminded of the painting they had discussed during a session of Lords.  It had been his idea and George had thought it bold.  "You would raffle off a scene I conjured and you would paint?"  He feigned hurt but smiled so as to not alarm.  "What is it, pray tell, that I could do to sway you my lord?"

Davina and Henry

She turned at his approach a smile automatically in place.

"Forgive me  ..... I had a meeting before that which did not go as I had hoped but should have realized."

"And so I was rather put out to be honest and our meeting was indeed forgot."

"But we are both here now. Shall we walk a bit? The rain has held off but looks to continue. Yet the air is clean and I feel the need to move about."

She offered no explanations as to what had occurred .

Louis and George

"The genius is in the doing, not the thinking." George defended.  As any artist might! There was always some cretin saying 'I could do that' - but they hadn't. 

But it was Louis tone of reply that then surprised him, for George had not realised how his question had sounded to a political brain.

"Ha, a better politician than I would have some wish at the ready to put forth, something that you would claim to be too much, but that you might then grudgingly concede to"  he chuckled, "but alas, you have me on the hop."

"To be perfectly honest I quite fancy the notion of a raffle. It is ego of course - for persons to wager to become a subject in a 'Chichester' painting.  A raffle would further build my personal prestige, alongside that of the primary subject whom is immortalised in oils.  But I am honour bound to speak to you on it, for of course..." he gave a nod of head to cover all the unspoken rules of being a gentlman.

Francis and Cat, separating

Cat had to work hard not to laugh at the neutral face Francis made.  It was so weird to her.  But, the show must go on.  So, she made a rolling motion with her hand as if telling him to get to the point of the message.  If Ashburnham had been with the King longest, then that would be the best choice.  And the hint that he might possibly be one of (the many) children her baby’s father had produced over the years made it a most logical choice.

“Alright, the die is cast,” she said with a fake huff and a wave of her hand, as if brushing Francis’ presence away.  “Until tomorrow.”  Then, she turned swiftly in the direction of where she had last seen Arlington, winding her way through gathering.

Davina and Henry

It seemed as if something bad had happened to Davina.  As such, Henry's accusatory look melted into a more concerned one.

"Yes, well we cannot have that," he responded to her statement about being put out.  Something was bothering her.

"Yes, a good constitutional into the mist," he offered in a bright voice.  "At any moment it may turn into a downpour.  Did you bring a parasol by chance?"

Nevertheless, he ushered her outside and looked towards the menacing clouds in sky.  "Delightful," he uttered.

"Now then, let us talk of happy things as we walk.  What shall we discuss?"

Catriona and Fiona

Arlington was engaged in a conversation with the Duke and Duchess, as well as their son.  It looked as if he had intercepted them from leaving, trying to purchase time for Cat to arrive.

"And there they are," he announced as the two beauties approached.  It was clear he was discussing them prior to arrival.

The Duke smiled while the Duchess gave a measured survey.  "Your Graces, may I introduce Lady Alyth and Lady Fiona McBain?  Ladies may I introduce their Graces the Duke and Duchess Hamilton and their son James, Earl of Arran?  It is hard to believe that you have yet to be introduced, given that you are all proud peers of Scotland."

James offered a guarded smile towards Cat and Fiona and a small bow.  "We know some McBains," the Duke recalled.  What duke of Scotland did not know someone from each clan?

Louis and George

"Ah," what to do about the ego of the artist? "It would be tawdry for someone to have to pay to be the focus of your painting," Louis began.  "For it would be an honor purchased rather than earned."

Adopting his more persuasive voice, Basildon continued.  "The answer is easy Chichester.  Quote me a reasonable price, I shall pay you double, and I shall see to it that the Gentleman Spectator reports than you sold it at four times the value.  It will make you the most regarded painter at court," he assured.

"You donate the funds to the Navy, become a greater patriot, then you paint a small portrait of the new infant Prince of Wales and then raffle it off. Have the King preside and who would not bid through the roof for it?  You will be the most talked about man at court, no doubt," he suggested.  "Your new wife will be so proud, your place at court assured." What was not to like?

The Beverleys, Lady Doneraile, Lord Athenry, and Lord Grey

“No, my lady. Not from Oxford…” Thank God! “But from Cambridge”. Before calling on Lord Beverley, Lord Grey had found out as much as he could about him. His attending Oxford had come up, but without any detail. That it was good that he had not been the viscount’s classmate was filed for later analysis.

Henry suddenly realized that he had not given details about the astronomical event, so he added for Lady Doneraile’s benefit: “My telescopes will be available for courtiers to look at the stars. That is better done from a vantage point, so ground-level lights do not play havoc with night vision. There will be torches, of course, but placed so they interfere as little as possible without darkness posing a danger of falling”. Hopefully his description made sense. He often spoke without realizing that others were not privy to his thoughts.

It was at that point that Lord Beverley arrived. “My lord, a pleasure to see you again”. Then a formal bow, a kiss if a hand was offered, and a greeting. “Lady Beverley, a pleasure to make your acquaintance. I hope Lord Beverley’s words about me were kind”. Henry hoped to see more of Beverley, and not only because of the Baron’s interest in Lady Doneraile. The young man was the scion from a very old family, after all, and such connections ought to be cultivated.

“Lord Athenry, Her Grace would be most welcome, and one of the highlights of the evening if she chose to attend”. One had to be gallant to ladies, of course, especially to those that held ducal titles. And then Cadell’s comment about not wanting to intrude on a family matter. “Lord Athenry speaks truth. If you would prefer for us to move on, we would gladly do so”.

Chatham & Willoughby

"Thirty is almost old, by Audley standards, and even leaving that aside it cannot be denied that mine is not a lifestyle conducive to long life," Charles replied. "And one heir, a boy of nine, is a very slender reed to rest the future of the family on."

He left unsaid the fact that, even now, there was a part of him that would rather see the title lost and the estate burned than passed to Francis.

He took a breath as Willoughby pressed on. He could not see how or why this was such an issue for the other man, and it was beginning to wear a little.

This is hardly the place, in any case.

"I am fond of her, yes. I am also fond of brandy, my siblings and my new dog, among other things," he said patiently, forcing himself to ignore that appealing pout in favour of focusing on the argument. (And it was an argument, he had to admit, which brought back uncomfortable memories of the last argument he had had with an intimate. That had been in chapel, too.)

He lowered his voice so that none but Johnathan could hear.

"But of none of them am I fonder than I am of you." That was true in the moment, as such things almost always were when he said them, and would always be technically correct. 

Joined by Mountjoy

Charles was relieved by the interruption at first, and then amused as Johnathan started flirting. Charles was not prone to jealousy, and even had he been, he was fairly certain that Mountjoy had no inclinations of that sort. His (lack of) reaction to Kingston in the fencing hall seemed proof enough of that.

He waved away Mountjoy's apologies for the interruption.

"None needed, my lord. We are, after all, loitering somewhat in the way. My splendidly fashionable companion is Master Johnathan Willoughby. And this, Master Willoughby, is the Marquess of Mountjoy, one of your few rivals in matters sartorial."

Charles laughed.

"It is not often that I consider myself the worst-dressed man in a given company, but it is undeniably so here. Appropriate, I suppose, that I should find humility in a chapel."

The Saint-Legers and Friends

As Anne did not know Lord Gray (though he was known by her brother), she looked to Cadell before blithely accepting the invitation - with the question if the Duchess would also attend.  "Well I would be happy to accompany you both.  It sounds quite interesting Lord Gray." 

Though she could not admit to any prior experience with instruments that looked at the stars, having only appreciated the heavens for their beauty to naked eye previously. It did not take a telescope however to sense an additional mood to Lord Greys enthuse. Anne was less certain of how she ought respond to that, so remained neutral as she might, while taking a note of his manner and features.   

Her smile softened with her brothers arrival and his kiss to cheek, his gesture was a fondness even in public, which seemed the more sweet for that fact.  Anne tipped her cheek into it, and replied, "The roads were free from excitement." her gaze moved to include Mary in her smiled greeting, "no doubt Mothers prayers helped, she is a force." Margaret was currently overseeing Ulcombe's care, Anne thought to reassure Mary by this mention, for she was no doubt fretting as any mother would. 

Mary meanwhile was happy to meet Lord Gray, with the pleasantries of kiss to hand etc. "Pleased to meet you.  My Lord husband never has an unkind word towards friends." she replied, "nor even towards those he does not enjoy the company of...  but please do not disband upon our arrivals account." her eyes flicked to Beverly's, for in all things she deferred to him.  

Anne had meanwhile moved to Mary's side as their little circle grew.  

Francis on his own, looking for Bishop Compton

Privately praying that his friend would do well at her surreptitious task and enjoy it, Francis turned his eyes about for Compton. 

He might have convinced himself it was because he wished to see if there was time for an introduction to the Archibishop, but the reality was quite different. If he was honest with himself, he was eager to know if there was a message that Dorothea wished conveyed back to him. 

Davina and Henry

She smiled again adding some humor to her words.

"Of come Henry tis only water you are not like to melt. Besides tis Sunday so think of it as a Blessing."

She was content to have him take charge. It also gave her time to think.

"You chose a topic Henry. I'll follow along."

As they began to walk she took note of how the placements might have shifted. Who had moved on or stayed or joined. She would not attempt to intrude unless there was an offering. She did not expect one. Yet she could sense that many eyes followed them - or was it just her thinking? This not knowing was what plagued her the most. The feeling of being watched was sometimes so light and then it changed to where the hairs on the back of her neck stood. And today was no different. She was a Courtier and so was quite able to guess the thoughts of many and given the chance they would take delight in asking about her stay in The Tower. Watching for a reaction hoping that a nerve had been struck. The better the strike the more it pleased.

But any that may be watching would only see the former Queen's Lady looking calm and quiet. Wearing no shroud of discomfort or looking ill at ease.

Duncan and Sophia

“I look forward to the joys of motherhood. Before I was married, I wasn’t certain that I wanted to have children at all, but now I long for this baby in a way that I cannot explain. I have never felt anything quite like this anticipation I am experiencing. It gets stronger with every day that passes.” Sophia smiled softly. “Of course my lord husband is hoping for an heir, but I will be just as happy with a little girl.”

She wasn’t surprised at Lord Melville’s request to share a drink with Esteban. Socializing often took one’s mind from one’s sorrow, at least temporarily. She had sought company with strangers after her father passed away, since she had moved to England shortly afterward and the only person she had known was Lord Kingston, and not very well.

“I will let him know. He has been much busier since he became the Ambassador but I have no doubt that he will make time for you.”

Was Lord Melville blinking back tears? It must be devastating to lose a spouse, even harder than losing a father. At least Sophia’s father had lived a good, long life. Again, she wondered what happened to Ophelia. From Ellen's hint, she had not died of illness or from an accident. Had she been murdered?

“I am here for both of you if you need me,” she confirmed. “Ellen is lucky that she has her grandmother to take care of her. She will grow up with a strong female influence in her life. And she has all of her aunties as well. Maybe she and my little one will become friends. Lord Toledo and I will probably buy a house in Madrid at some point. The two of you will be welcome to visit us anytime.”

So he had only been in Windsor since yesterday. She was surprised that Lord Melville had not been too exhausted to attend church. “Grief is always easier to bear when shared,” she agreed. “Please give my condolences to Sir Cedric. Mistress Doolittle informed me that he would consider it improper if I visited him in my condition.”

Hoping to cheer him up a bit, she added: “Did you know that she and I used to hate each other when I lived with the Doolittles as their ward? We argued all the time and couldn’t stand the sight of each other.” Her smile brightened. “But now I think we are on our way to becoming friends. She designed some gorgeous maternity gowns for me. She is quite talented.”

Cordelia approaching Lord Grey and Company

She had been in some good gossip exchanges with several of her Matron friends and they, eyeing all the small little groups that naturally form, spoke of sons and daughters and marriages and other such things. She had kept an eye on where Lord Grey was for she wished to speak to him about Mistress Eleanore. He was amongst a group but she knew only Lord Beverly. Her friends had been kind enough to put names to the faces. She gave a long look to the woman she now knew to be Lady Doneraile the sister to Lord Beverley. The other Gentleman was Lord Athenry and it was possible that they had been introduced but she could not remember it.

Now she had another Lady had circumnavigated and were soon to part so she edged then close to where Lord Grey was. He could not help but see her especially as she would be standing alone after the departure of her friend. It was a small trick but a useful one and she knew that he, being a Gentleman, would hardly ignore her. Hopefully her introduction might give her a chance to see Lord Beverly's sister up close. She was after all a candidate put forth by Lord Grey himself. Therefore it was necessary to acquire as much as she could in the way of first impressions - if she was to be of any help to him. That she was a Baroness and widowed with children was the extent of her knowledge.

Check kisses exchanged and Cordelia gave a nod and sent the other Lady off then she cast her gaze about as if unsure where to go next   .......

Edited by Cordelia Lucas

Davina and Henry

Henry laughed freely as she called him out for fearing a bit of rain.  "We shall brave melting together then."

They walked a distance from the chapel as Henry looked about the grounds.  The downpour held off for now.

"Very well, let us choose the topic of travel," he offered as a topic to her challenge.  "Where in the world would you like to visit?" 

Not throwing away her shot--Meeting the Hamiltons

Cat could only hope Fiona wouldn’t blow Francis’ plan.  She was well aware that her sister could keep a secret (which annoyed her to no end when it revolved around her reputation).  As a single precaution as they walked toward Arlington and the Hamiltons, she kept her eyes on the group as she whispered, “Best behavior.  Unmarried heir to a dukedom who is my same age.”  She looked over Fiona's shoulder where she had been with Francis, then turned back around, a put upon expression and a sigh escaped before she cleared her face and replaced it with a politely happy smile.

Once they arrived and the introductions were made, Cat made a curtsey, certain Fiona would do the same.  They had the same etiquette tutor, after all.  “Your Graces, my lord,” she said.  “A pleasure to meet others from fair Alba,” using the Scots Gaelic term for Scotland.  The mention of meeting other MacBains had her asking, her Scots accent slipping out more than usual,, “Should I be apologizing for them or bragging about our clansmen?”  Her tone was amused, as was the smile on her lips.  Any MacBain he had met was a fair distant relative at best.  That was why their father, the festering, puss oozing carbuncle on a slimy worm's buttock, was able to have the title and estate go to Fiona.  No other male relatives going back 4 generations could be found.  She turned her attention from the Duke to Arran, upping the wattage of her smile slightly, before returning her attention to his father.

Edited by Catriona MacGregor

Davina and Henry

"When I was younger I had such envy for my brothers - they could say and do and go wherever they pleased without restraints while I, a mere female, was subjected to whatever mood my Father was in. And thus a punishment."

"Father Francis would give me penance and tell me to be understanding and how I must learn to temper myself."

"I was guilty after all of Envy and it was a thing that needed to be beaten out."

She gave a small sigh.

"But I was lucky in that Father Francis sounded tough yet he was actually a kind person and oft times sent me a soothing salve for my hurts or secreted into the Confessional some small sweet to other."

"You will wonder if I have changed? I have not. I still Envy your sex and the freedoms you have."

"Where would I go ....."

She gazed off into the distance lost in thought

"I have no idea if I would do well on a ship - the last one I was on was intended for 'pleasure' but it ended up being wrought with difficulties."

This was a reference to Seasons Past.

"Travel by land is risky and dangerous and hard on ones constitution but I would take it over a ship I think. I would to Italy first. A Gentleman I know, who paints, has told me of it and all its treasures. I can see how much it has affected him and so I want to see if I might be the same? After that   ... who knows."

"And you? Where do you go?"

Louis and George

"There in is the beauty of a raffle, for it is not payment for a deed, but rather a bit of fun with possible grand reward.  Persons of lower ego even, might take a ticket upon a punt.  It is not the usual thing where the persons richest or with highest rank automatically wins.  Yes you see, it suits my personal political leanings very well.”

Although perhaps Basildon was less aware that George considered himself a man of the people, and voter for what was right at the lords. An independent.

“But that would be dishonest.” George had to refuse the offer then presented (while he took note that Louis had some sort of way over the Gentleman Spectator reporters. 

“Whatever I shall do it shall be morally indesputable.” He explained, and then with a wry smile added, “You do not think I remained overlooked at court this long by use of underhanded methods.” He chuckled at that.  He remembered the time that Baptist may had once approached him, and the reason for the meeting (soliciting bribes for offices) had gone right over his head so he’d not even realised what it was till months later!

“No, I am still thinking that the House of Lords painting, in all it’s glory, and to be gifted to the Crown of course to be hung in some place publicly notable, is the finest course for this Patriot.”

George did not comment to Louis thoughts upon making his new wife proud, for he knew Caroline well enough to know she didnt give a fig about such stuff. 

Bishop Compton was speaking James Compton, but caught the light of Francis eyes meeting his.  In an inclusive manner he gestured for the younger man to approach. 

"Lord Kingston, have you met my elder brother Earl Northampton, though more known for his improvements while serving as Constable of the Tower." he introduced the fellow, who bore the same nose and brow but who was dark to the others fair.

"Brother, this is the young man I was speaking about, Lord Kingston, who is amidst Duke Buckingham’s coterie, and may well know the playwright you were hunting for." 

To Francis he explained, "My Lord Brother has been on the hunt for a fellow who was said to be a guest there of, but has since become very elusive." 

Chatham, Willoughby & Mountjoy

Willoughby was a people person, and attuned enough so he was pleased to note that it was indeed a sensitive topic to the other. But none of that really mattered anyhow, for Chatham lowered his voice to admit he was fondest of he.

With a smudge of pleasure on face the dapper dandy retorted, “Though I would say there is more virtue in loving those others.” And with a gasp of breath he added, “If virtue is your vice, that is.”

Charles had finally managed to navigate Jonathan’s thoughts away from that other topic…

… but perhaps he wanted an all out declaration, for how he now tried to incite his sometimes lover to jealousy.  Kindly then, his lover made the introductions (to perhaps ensure that they might make a proper job of it?)

“Oh Onchontay Lord Mountjoy." he eyed the man.  Who was indeed very fine. 

"And think nothing about it, proper obliging gentleman that we all be.” Willoughby simpered happily, looking back to Chatham and giving a flare of eyes.  His mental plans evolving upon the spot, he was considering now, not jealousy, but a threesome. “A pleasure to meet such a smart fellow, but Lord Chatham, do not berate yourself so, for dare I imagine that between myself and Lord Mountjoy we might happily redress you.  Following apt frivolity, of course...”

Returning focus to the man newly arrived,  "... we were just discussing the virtues of Brandy, Mountjoy, which makes such a pretty pairing with you aformentioned bargeing."