JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Sunday Chapel (Sept 18, 1678)

Blackguard

Cat, Fiona,and the Hamiltons

Fiona had never met any of her distant relatives and wasn’t completely sure she had any. She definitely hoped that the Hamiltons had never even heard of her father. If they had, they would not be standing here talking to us.

Finally, she spoke up. “I think both places have their own appeal. Scotland will always be my home, but I adore court life as well. I’m glad that we can travel between the two. It is like having the best of both worlds.” Her remarks added nothing new to the conversation, but she didn’t want the handsome Earl to think she was meek and shy. Those courtiers who enjoyed the social aspects of the season rarely were.

Arlington praised Cat’s baking skills. “Her sweets are quite divine,” Fiona agreed. Maybe the Earl would consider cooking an unsuitable skill for a noblewoman and better left to servants.

It seemed as if they were ready to move on. They would definitely see more of each other if she had anything to do with it. Fiona smiled warmly but said nothing more.

The younger girls were still with Nessie and Agnes. They were both looking out a window and talking quietly. Aileen pointed to something and Shona laughed.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chatham, Willoughby & Mountjoy

He chuckled at Chatham’s' mannikin joke, while noting the charity in Mountjoy to fame the others dress.  By Jonathan’s own showboat standards his lover's costume could do with a several hundred pound upgrade*.  On that thought, perhaps that was in part why Chatham wanted to marry, a dowery would go a long way towards transforming the serviceable attire to fashions cutting edge. 

"I needs must extend my sights." he commented as these pair before him dissolved into a heavy and innuendo rich conversation about frequenters of their cellars.  He was naturally concerned when Chatham included even Scots in his repertoire (Families that single fabric pattern and thought that would do them for ever more.) 

All and all however, he had too scant a knowledge upon liquors to be able to reciprocate.  Jonathan tended to drink whatever was on offer without discrimination - he'd have said as much too, but for a hunch that the Charles-es would scratch him off any future guest list. 

"I might only insist that a tour of cellars is desired, nay, necessary, once Court is returned to London.  Meanwhiles though, perhaps his majesty's own will serve..." he looked towards Chatham then and eyebrow quirked of a memory with him.

"I shall do what I can to rearrange, it would be a pleasure to accommodate." he farewelled his friend with a small smile of the planned rendezvous, watching the man exit before commenting to Lord Mountjoy.  "Such a fine ass." 

Loathe to have to battle on though a subject he knew little on, he too the moment to switch topic. "He intents to marry the Butler girl, I can hardly think it a good idea, given."  Perhaps Mountjoy would team up with him to convince Chatham against it.

* Persective upon account of Chathams wealth level.

Chatham approaches Northampton

Was it imagination, or did Northampton turn and glimpse Chathams approach, and did he then quicken his steps? 

Nicci and Anne-Elisabeth

Nicci in seasons past, had made some effort to meet others who were royal Mistresses, with intent to allay any jealousies.  She'd met Nell at least, and learnt she was disinterested in forming a friendship, while others had not wished to speak with her at all.  This had surprised Nicci, whom had thought that possessiveness a qualification that no Royal Mistress should have. 

While from the Kings perspective, she knew very well to behave as exclusive as if it a marriage if she ever hoped to have an acknowledged royal bastard. 

This other thing was something quite different again, she'd be no spy to tell her friend that was what shed be doing.   "It is our companion from the walk along the Thames last season, forgive me that I do not utter his name." she spoke in a hush even.  "If you suggest a meeting, perhaps Monday or Tuesday morning, somewhere suitably public of course, then you can let me know if a time if confirmed"

Louis and George

"No insult taken," Basildon replied.  In his mind truth was a relative thing when part of a scheme.

"I understand that babies are about as interesting on canvas as they are in life."  By that, he meant they were boring.  All babies looked the same to an eye that was trained to enjoy only those that came out of his wife.

"But I will tell you this ... if I spilled a jar of pink paint on a canvas and called it the royal heir, and the King found the portrayal entertaining, I could sell it for a hundred pounds."  He laughed knowing it was true.  "So,e of the Queen's ladies watercolors could become quite valuable," he continued to laugh.  "I shall ask my sister to paint one for me I think."

Asked after his own plans, Louis merely gave the other earl a knowing smile.  "I am looking for opportunities as always," he answered truthfully.  "I have some ideas, but I shall learn which doors are open to an ambitious and capable lord."  It was too early to reveal any plans outside the confines of his immediate family, which included his cousin as well.

"And you?  Royal favor with a portrait, a patriot with a raffle, a new wife, and hopefully a new heir around the corner," Louis listed.  "A busy season.  Content with that are you?" 

Davina and Henry

"And I understood your purpose. And honestly it was rather negligent of me to not think that you have suffered from being a man. That such a thing might be never occurred to me."

"I have heard it said that tis best to let out ones anger rather than hold it in. Not always possible or advisable."

"Something I have over-looked?"

"My own Mistress - how easy you make it sound. But there is some truth to it - I am Ambitious. I can obtain another Position either by my own merit or marriage. But a husband requires serious thought."

"Baintree is not so weak as you think. He schemes as we all do. Norfolk wants another pawn and so he offered up daughter Catherine and brother mine needed a wife. 2 birds with one stone."

"And Norfolk holds Power tightly still and naturally seeks to extend his reach yet keep within the Family."

"You might think of that when you search your own Ambitions."

"Look after me  ...."

She caught his gaze offering a slow teasing smile in response.

"Ah. So you would play 'protector' then. What can you offer me?"

"But I have no desire for an 'angry Gentleman' sniffing about my skirts."

Her words teased as she moved ahead of him as if she was daring him to chase.

That she was merely playing him should have occurred to him. He was much too close a connection frankly.

Louis and George

Louis meanwhile liked the idea of the Queens ladies watercolours of sleeping baby.  "Perfect." Georges scales were thus balanced, "You are welcome to the idea and we are all squared away."  ie. the House of Lords painting meanwhile had been Louis', though by the sounds of how Louis was talking now he seemed to think the Baby painting was of higher value. 

"Wisely spoken." George returned to Louis' reply, "You might otherwise expend great energy trying to open that which is sealed by the four angels." it was apt to pull a biblical reference given the location, even though Louis did not appear at all the theologian. "Better to put effort into the task beyond the door that is already open.  I would not be at all surprised if your heraldry shall one day be hung in the Great hall after you are invested to the Order of the Garter.  Next to mine of course." The additon of his own was said in jest.

Louis was a Royalist, he knew, thus played the game as the King wished it played out both in the Royal Household and in Parliament. In George's eyes it seemed ambition was most successful for such conformists -  thus Louis would go far.

"Haha, need I aspire for even more?!" huffing a laugh George dismissed the thought.  Although.  Now that Louis had suggested it, it was a worthy topic, and there was one name on Georges political list that might be worth a revisit.  Though he had a wedding to get through first. 

"But yes, I shall send you word for the Monday evening celebration, I shall be pleased to have you there." With a pat to Basildon’s back to punctuate the thought, George glimpsed the man whom this conversation rose new interest.  So then looking back to Louis with a nod and body language to match he thought they might amicably carried on their respective paths to further persona and conversations. 

For his part, George plotted a course towards May…

Duncan and Sophia

Lord Melville extolled the virtues of her guardians. Sophia had never seen Lord Kingston as humble, but now that she thought about it, that was a good word to describe him. He had not become arrogant or entitled as he rose in rank like most gentlemen would. He did not use his influence with the King for his own personal gain. Not to her knowledge anyway. Nor was he manipulative, or he would have tried to keep her in line by threatening to expose the secret that could ruin her life. He was still as down-to-earth as he had been when she had first met him.

“At the time I saw them both as my jailers. I had been given more freedom in Venice than is accepted here, and I thought they were cruel to put so many restrictions on my behavior. So I rebelled. I wish I would have treated them better now. I know they were just trying to guide me but it didn’t seem that way at the time. Lord Kingston bears me no ill will, and I will try to make amends with Sir Cedric as well.”

Her charming companion was already aware of how well Ellen had run her father’s business while he was ill. Sophia was positive that he would help her in her quest to take over the company when Sir Cedric passed on. He did not seem very interested in it himself. Perhaps if Ellen never had children of her own, his daughter would become her heir.  A business run by generations of women would be a wonderful achievement and would show others that they could be more than just wives, mothers, and the property of their husbands.

“There is nothing to forgive. It is true. I have thought the same thing. Women throughout history have done great things. Perhaps she will become one of them.”

Sophia’s heart skipped a beat when Lord Melville mentioned Douglas. It always did when anyone spoke of him. At first, her mind recoiled at the notion of Douglas and Ellen getting married. She had wanted to wed him herself but now that could never be. The petite blonde wanted him to be happy, and maybe Ellen was the kind of wife who would please him. They were both strong-willed and intelligent. He would gain a profitable business and she would get a title.

“Yes, I know him well.” And he would have made a great husband … for me. “A little too well.” She chuckled and gazed up at Duncan. “Unless they have set aside their hostilities, there is animosity between Lord Kingston and Lord Dundarg that started when I was his ward. Lord Dundarg and I developed feelings for each other. One day while riding together, we slipped away from my chaperone and shared a kiss. But she caught up with us and saw everything.

“Lord Kingston blamed him for it but it was as much my fault as it was his. He refused to let Lord Dundarg court me because …” She lowered her eyes and blushed, “Because of the circumstances of his birth, which, of course, infuriated him.

Sophia’s gaze again sought his. “Since Lord Kingston is a partner in the business, perhaps you can bring up the subject with him and see how he feels about it. He might not want to bring Lord Dundarg into the company. Or maybe they're friends now and he will think that it is a great idea. I agree that Mistress Doolittle and Lord Dundarg would make a good match.  Have they met?"

Louis and George Parting

It was not that he thought the picture of the baby more valuable.  It was not to him, but it might have a broader appeal.  Even ladies could bid on it, whereas only the most ambitious might bid on the Lords painting.  Just as everything in life to Louis, the cost was negotiable.  He had tried to discount the Lords painting and it had not been successful.  George was oddly inflexible on the painting.

Louis laughed at George's claim that he would be admitted to the Garter, perhaps even before Louis.  As such, the other earl was showing some ambition, a trait not always apparent with Chichester.  "That is the way to think of it," he complimented.

They parted with knowledge that they would likely see each other soon.  There were pats and then they parted.

Louis had no plan to engage in deep conversation with anyone.  Rather, he merely wished to say hello and give his regards to Buckingham, Norfolk, Finch, Worcester and his other allies.  To that end, he floated to greet the closest one with small talk and good wishes for a productive season.

Others

Lady Habersham had quietly watched George approach Basildon.  Her eyes watched Kingston speak with Alyth.  What a marvelous head of hair she thought.  Catriona's was not bad either.

Oxford and Burgoyne parted with the Killigrews and moved to exit the chapel.  Cedric Doolittle approached the family next.

Baptist May found himself confronted by the Duchess of Norfolk, and she did not look happy.

Lord Ogle joined the young Earl of Shrewsbury for a bit of quiet conversation and a laugh.

Heneage Finch, Lord Chancellor, was having a brief conversation with the Earl of Sunderland, the Northern Secretary, and his father-in-law, the Earl of Bristol.

Chatham pursuing Northampton

Northampton was trying to avoid him, Charles thought, sidestepping a dowager's frankly excessively voluminous skirts and watching the other lord catch sight of him and accelerate away.

And why would he do that, had he not reason to avoid me?

The thrill of the chase pulsed in him as he quickened his own pace. A part of his mind could not help but laugh at the absurdity of this, two peers of the realm essentially playing tag in chapel, but that was distant, remote. The rest of him was wholly focused on the pursuit.

Discreetly employing his elbows as necessary. Charles hurried through the press.

"My lord Northampton!" he hailed, seeking to close the distance.

Surely the other man was not so dead to dignity and decorum as to continue his flight after that?

George approaching May - but with Lady Norfolk there first

In good spirits after the final banns being done, and with thoughts of future successes soon to come, George moved toward Baptist May.  Duchess Norfolk got there before him however, she appeared distressed of something, and if his eyes did not misread it, it further appeared as though May was less then delighted that she wished to talk.

Hmm.  George hesitated a moment, but then, he was a gambling man, and fortune seemed to be falling his way at the moment.   So figuratively hitching his socks he stepped forward and Interrupted.

"May, so sorry that I am late." he invented, well lied really, "Lady Norfolk, please would you excuse us, there is a matter of state secrets that we need to address with all urgency. It cannot wait." 

George looked now to May, having given the man an escape if he wished to take it. 

State secrets.  Privately Chichester was stoked, he'd alwasy wanted to say he had an interest in state secrets. Those words felt bloody good on ones breath!  

Chatham pursuing Northampton

For a moment more Northampton thought he'd make good his escape; until Chatham was so uncouth as to call out.  

His shoulders rose and fell with a resignation of breath as he turned and waited for the other to catch up.  Nonplussed he simply said, "What is it?" Which was about as impolite as the other he thought.  Tit for tat. And he really did not wish to talk. 

Sophia and Duncan

It seemed that Doña Sophia had done much growing up after marriage. That she now recognized that her guardians only wished what was best for her attested to that. That she had rebelled back then attested to her spirited character. One day, after many, many glasses of uisgee, I will ask Sir Cedric how he remembers things as they were. I will have to be careful until then. Duncan did not want to slight the Spanish ambassador… or seem to be doing it. Not that the ambassador's wife was giving any signs of impropriety, but better safe than sorry.

Women had done great things through history, that was true. Even in the Good Book, in the Book of Acts, there was a certain Priscilla that seemed to have even corrected a preacher's theology. But the realities of His Grace Charles’ three kingdoms were what they were. Duncan had nothing but respect for Ellen’s abilities in business, but society would not approve. To swim against the current was exhausting, and the Lowlander hoped that Ellen would find a way not to keep at it.

And then, an unexpected revelation about Dundarg. A kiss, she says. I hope that was the extent of it. Kingston was a seasoned sea captain, which meant he was good with the blade. Douglas was not a cripple either. He would hate to lose a friend, especially one of those two. They were both extraordinary men, each in his own way. That they had been, or still were, at odds was a worrying thought.

Doña Sophia, please keep that revelation close to the chest”. Perhaps vest would have been a more polite word. “Certain parties would grow all kinds of gossip from it, making trouble for Spain, your Lord Husband, and yourself. I am honoured to be taken into your confidence but, please, be very, very careful”. With Lord Kingston being slandered, and with the current political climate, additional slanders would only muddy the waters, and hurt innocents needlessly.

“Lord Kingston, partner of Sir Cedric? Not that I know of. I mean, there are a few cooperative business arrangements…” like a letter of marque, “but Lord Kingston owns his own company and his own ship or ships. I do not recall how many ships, but I am certain there is at least one. As for Ellen and Dundarg having met, I do not know. I suggested it, but I have not kept current of news”.

At that point, the viscount noticed the Earl of Bristol talking with two other gentlemen. He had not talked to Lord Bristol since the man had visited Lady Hardy at Melville House a long time before.* Will he recognize me? Will he even know who I am? Perhaps I should present my respects. He is an important man, and I need to start getting reacquainted with the powers at court.

“Please forgive me, Doña Sophia, but I see someone I must speak to. Once again, thank you for your kind words, and give your Lord Husband my warmest regards”. Unless stopped, Duncan would bow formally, and depart, trying to position himself as to call the attention of George Digby, Earl of Bristol.

OOC: The meeting with the Earl of Bristol is here.

Edited by Duncan Melville

Beverleys & Friends

"That she is," Beverley agreed with his sister.

"Of course there is no need to depart. I am sure we will have some form of family to do tonight with plenty of time to see each other, so there is little need for, erm, privacy in so public a space." He smiled at his young wife. She was, really, rather good at all of this. It gave him his own measure of confidence.

"I trust all went well on the ramparts setting up your telescopes, Lord Grey? I have not yet had opportunity to make certain the arrangements were all well and good."

Francis & The Bishop

"And of course you are aware of such things having had guardianship of Lady Sophia..." the Bishop added more in a manner of remind himself of why Francis would be especially aware of such things as the reckless invitation of correspondence.  Though that said, Lady Sophia was not the most devout lady at court, having been noted drawing pictures rather than attending to sermons.

"Intervention. I don’t know it's more than any effort Gentlemen make to shelter the women in their care.  In fact, upon that note you might even say her brother and yourself may see eye to eye." 

Raising a brow to hear that Francis would be seeing the brother, tomorrow even, "The Lord moves in mysterious ways." 

For a brief moment, Francis was perplexed. Then he realized the misunderstanding and then said, "Not the brother, at least, not yet. His Highness the Duke of Cumberland had words with me about it. That is what I think the lady need not be aware about."

Having dealt with Sophia, he could understand a brother's worry over a sister, for Sophia had not been much different to him.

With a smile he added, "It is likely, for I wish nothing more than to save her from being caught up in any of what I am facing, that is true. If we were to see eye to eye also about me not being the villian that the papers make me out to be, then all will be well."

Nicci and Anne-Elisabeth

“Sir John Burgoyne?” Anne-Elisabeth was so surprised that she did utter his name, though her voice was as quiet as Nicci’s. Why would she want to see him again? The Barbadian Countess wished to form a friendship with him and tricking him into a meeting with a woman he might still be in love with was not a good way to do it.

“I have been thinking of contacting him myself. He is an intriguing gentleman. If I fool him, he will never speak to me again.”  She thought for a moment. “How about this? I will send him a message asking to meet with him and I will do so. Then you pretend to happen by and I will realize that I’m late for a fitting or something and leave the two of you alone. You can even hide nearby and listen to everything we say.

“Or you can show up first and then after a suitable amount of time, I will join you and apologize to him for being late.”

Willoughby and Mountjoy with Chatham leaving

“Doing without Claret? Perish the thought. Wars may decide the fate of nations but really, they should not interfere with a gentleman being able to get a drink.” He said lightly in mock disbelief. But further discussion would have to wait for it appeared that Chatham had seen someone he wished to speak with and bid them a hasty goodbye.

After they saw Chatham off, with Willoughby providing a particularly friendly sendoff he turned to the said gentleman at the bizarre comment. The two must be particularly friends for Willoughby to make such a comment. As Chatham was unlikely to have a donkey and the comment was so obviously said with appreciation Willoughby could not have possibly be inferring that Chatham was an ass he assumed it was a friendly and teasing comment about an old and dear friend. It reminded him of the way he and Heneage would tease each other in brotherly fashion. Smiling at the wholesomeness of Willoughby’s and Chatham’s relationship. All he could say to such a comment was “Indeed.”

Another revelation soon followed. “He has an eye for Lady Elizabeth Butler? I must confess that such an alliance would not have been the first to come to mind. I have only just recently become acquainted with Lord Chatham but he seems to be a fine fellow. Do you know if he has declared his intentions to the Duke? The Lady Mountjoy and the Duchess are dear friends and I hold The Duke to be a particular acquaintance but I have not seen him since before I left for the continent.”

He paused to consider the possible match. Knowing so little about the man he could hardly come to an informed opinion. “You are not enamored with such a prospect I take from your comment. Do you think it an unwise match? There could be no objections to Lady Elizabeth Butler surely. Do you think the lady unsuited to your friend or perhaps you think your friend unsuited to the Lady.”

Nicci and Anne-Elisabeth

Merde. Smile intact, Nicci inwardly rolled eyes as Anne Elizabeth failed to appreciate the secrecy she wished (having thought she had made herself plain) but went on to speak the mans name out aloud. Plainly her friend was not built for intrigue, but then she'd not been raised to Versailles having instead teethed on coconuts on a Jamaican isle.

Anne Elizabeth even went on to say she had fancied personally seeing Burgoyne again. Now Nicci had a number of reasons why that might be a big mistake, but she could not speak a one of them without letting various other cats out of the bag.  So she simply had to keep hush on that for now, while at the ready to warn her friend away should matters become any more dire.

She not want Anne Elizabeth connected to treason!

"That shall suit very well, I shall come upon him prior to you, and you shall be late." Nicci voiced her preference.  Then if alarm bells did ring during the meeting, she could immediately ward her friend away prior to her getting mixed up with the man any further. 

Willoughby and Mountjoy

“I can only assume he’s received approval by the father, though you are right, it woud not be his first dalliance without parental consent.” Willoughby was quick to pick up his peeved attitude towards his friends intents to marry.

Though he’d be no friend at all to ejaculate slander into a river that led directly to Ormonds ear. So as Mountjoy advised his wife was close friends with the others, Willoughby’s fair lashes fluttered and a most distressed way.   

“But then what would I know, I have only ever seen Lord Chatham at his leisure, why I dare say that if he is so inclined he might make a most diligent and even studious son in law.  But you are right that I don’t think he should marry, he ought not marry at all for some half dozen or more years.  What is all the hurry – I asked.”

Here he sighed, the conversation had become not any fun at all, and Lord Mountjoy failed to give him the glad eye.   Unless he was just shy?

“I mean, if it was merely a kiss he was desirous of, there are so many options without necessity of a contract.”  he met Lord Mountjoys eyes, a fair eyebrow raising with the blatant suggestion.  At least it was blatant to anyone of a certain ilk. 

Kingston and the Bishop

Misunderstanding settled, the Bishop gave a nod, and felt ready to set the subject aside.  He had digressed at length with Francis when in the chapel at an idle hour, but the chapel was currently thrumming with talk following the Sunday sermon.  

Making a half turn with a nod that invited Francis to walk with him he said, “It’s come to my attention that All Saints Chapel in Kingston is in a declined state, the tower having been taken down for safety’s sake.  I wonder if perhaps your participation in a project like this might assist restore more than just it’s spire?”

Ref: I know you hate wiki, but this is what I have 

Chatham and Northampton

Charles felt no shame in calling after Northampton. It was a common weakness, he had found, to consider the strictures of manners and propriety as inviolable boundaries, any attempted crossing of which was certain to bring punishment and disaster. The truth, in his opinion, was that impropriety was a coin like any other — not to be spent willy-nilly, but not to be hoarded either. No, you simply had to think and weigh, as so many seemingly refused to do, and make sure that what you gained from your lack of courtesy was worth it.

In this case, a momentary lack of decorum had bought Charles Northampton coming to a halt, which he judged a fair trade.

He stepped briskly to the other man and inclined his head in greeting. (There was no call, now, to keep the man waiting or to be rude.) 

"My apologies for having so inopportuned you, my lord," he murmured, "I shall endeavour not to keep you long. You will recall the matter we spoke of at the beginning of recess? A matter most close to my heart. I merely wish to ask if, in the interim, anything further has occurred to you? Anything at all? Even the most minor, seemingly inconsequential detail might be useful."

As he spoke, he kept his gaze fixed on Northampton's face. Charles fancied himself a skilled reader of people, and most of the point of this had simply been to see how the other would react. He appeared mostly annoyed at the inconvenience, but who knew what might show up under pressure?

George, May and Lady Norfolk

George rudely interrupted the Duchess, causing her to exclaim "why I never ... ."  Her right hand went to her chest at the temerity of the Earl.

Baptist May fought a smile and then looked more serious.    "Yes, my lord, I was looking for you earlier.  Your Grace, if you will excuse us.  I will be available later.  State business."

The Duchess narrowed her gaze at May as if promising that he had not heard the last of this matter and then announced "I have others to visit anyway."  With that, she was gone.

His smile reappearing, May stated "a good day to you my lord.  What state secrets will we be discussing in this public place?"

George & May

"I'd not do so if it was not of utmost urgency." George uttered while the Duchess got her knickers all bunched and huffed off. 

Which left him to turn with a smile to May, "What matter might I state indeed?" he double checked the Duchess was well out of ear shot, and continued, "... perhaps that someone got out of bed on the wrong side this morning?”   

He could not imagine that Baptist had done aught to inspire her ill temper.

"Ah, but I had been meaning to thank you for the advice some seasons back. In all likelihood you don’t even remember it, such that you are dispensing gems all about on a daily basis, but it was direct and good guidance. So thank you." 

This gratitude was an overture of friendship.     

Chatham and Northampton

"I imaged it might be that." Northampton said, "An awful business I dare imagine, but must you dwell?  There is nothing more that I know now than I did before.  Though I might mention that I have heard people are looking about a certain actor lately, who was in London, but now is not.  But then that might apply to a greater part of Englands poplace, so it hardly a clue in the ghastly who-done-it you seem to be pursuing, if there is even a crime in the case, I do not know."

"It is a pity, that is true." he finally empathised and with a deadpan face he thought to turn and carry on. 

Duncan and Sophia parting

Until Lord Melville pointed it out to her, Sophia had not known that things she had done before her marriage could still hurt her or anyone else. Was he just being overly cautious, or were youthful impulses and recklessness never forgiven? If Esteban knew, would he feel that he needed to kill Lord Dundarg for kissing her before she had ever met him? She definitely didn’t want Douglas to suffer for it.

Germans were blunt and practical and youthful adventures were probably just laughed about. What one did in the past did not define the person one became once one grew up and settled down. In truth, she was not certain that people form her own country felt that way. She had been rather isolated on her family’s estate. It was possible that Germans felt the same as the English, but knowing what she did about their characters, she rather doubted it.

“I am sorry,” she said softly. “I did not know that incidents that occurred so long ago could still be harmful. Thank you for your advice. I have learned yet something else about English culture. I will keep such things to myself from now on.”

She had told him because she wanted him to know that Lord Kingston might not approve of Lord Dundarg marrying Ellen and having control of the company. If she had just mentioned that the two gentlemen did not get along, Lord Melville might have asked her how she knew and she would have told him anyway.

And it turned out that Francis was not a partner in the business at all. Sophia knew he had his own company but from what Ellen had said yesterday, she had just assumed that he also had a share in Sir Cedric’s empire. She had learned two new things today from Lord Melville. “Please forgive my ignorance. I really thought they had a partnership. Since they don’t, Lord Kingston has no say about who Sir Cedric chooses as his successor.

“Perhaps I shall introduce Mistress Doolittle and Lord Dundarg at the next court event.” She half-expected Lord Melville to tell her that that would not be wise either. He must think I am so stupid now. The baby was pounding her insides wildly as if sensing her anxiety.

Sophia wasn’t surprised that Duncan no longer wanted to converse with such an idiot as herself. He excused himself politely, claiming there was somebody he needed to speak to. He’s probably afraid that I will say something else foolish. She was so embarrassed that it didn’t occur to her that what he had said was true.

“Of course,” she replied, willing warmth into her voice. “I certainly don’t want to take up all of your time, my lord. Thank you for walking with me and I hope you enjoy the rest of your day.”

Watching him walk away, she noticed that Lord Melville did head toward another gentleman. Now guilt filled her soul for doubting him.  Was that why she suddenly felt queasy or was it because the baby was so active?  She slid into a pew to rest for a few moments. Her blue gaze roamed around the chapel and landed on Master Killigrew and his family. There was something she wanted to ask him. Unfortunately, Sir Cedric joined the group before Sophia could heave herself off of the bench. As soon as he left, she planned to approach them.  She didn't want to reprimanded by her former guardian for not staying at home while pregnant.

Chatham and Northampton

"Yes my lord, I find I must, at least a while longer," Charles said, and belatedly noticed that his mask was slipping. His customary affected languid drawl was gone, the words coming out as sharp and clear as cut glass, as fast and precise as a rapier thrust.

No harm, he decided, if it impressed his seriousness on Northampton.

And that seriousness needed impressing, it seemed. Northampton was giving him the brush-off, and was entirely too comfortable and controlled for a man who had been all but fleeing but minutes before.

"An actor my lord? Have you his name?"

And why, I might ask, did you mention him if you think he has naught to do with this matter?

It was something to follow-up at least, though, and if it did come to nothing...

Well, avoiding me is one thing, but to actively mislead me and waste my time and efforts?

"Oh, there was a crime my lord. An artless, clumsy one, but a crime nonetheless," he said, looking once more for any reaction. It was not that he suspected Northampton, really, but he owed this proper diligence.

(If he suspected anyone, it was Cadogan, really, for the aforementioned clumsy aspects fit neatly with him, but there were other considerations that suggested otherwise.)

"More than a pity, my lord. Far more." Charles smiled, a thin sharp thing. "It is my hope that soon at least one other will share that opinion."

He stepped back, still wearing that blade of a smile.

"Do not let me detain you."

George and Baptist

As George looked towards the Duchess, he would observe that she was casting an annoyed look at him before transitioning into a flock of other perfumed ladies.  She was a lady of long memory as Baptist May and Davina Wellsley would attest.

Conversely, May was a man of good cheer and a ready smile.  Perhaps that was a trait that endeared him to the King.  

"The state secret is thanks for wisdom I imparted upon you earlier my lord?" he asked in surprise.  "Was my advice to avoid the Duchess?" he laughed.

Nicci and Anne-Elisabeth

Anne-Elisabeth had no idea what Nicci was up to, or that associating with Sir John might put her in danger. She thought that the effervescent Frenchwoman was afraid that he would not agree to meet with her because she had broken his heart and therefore needed to use subterfuge to lure him to her.

Nicci agreed to one of her suggestions. “I will write the letter when I get home today and give him the choice of tomorrow morning or Tuesday around the same time. Is there any particular place you would like to meet him or shall I surprise you?"

Cat, Fiona and the Hamiltons departing

Wondering what was going on with Fiona, being as silent as she was, Cat nodded at the Duchess' pronouncement of returning to Scotland immediately upon the completion of the Season.  "Ah, that is quite understandable," she replied.  Indeed, no matter if it was the Lowlands or Highlands, winter travel in Scotland could be sketchy.  And cold.

As Arlington spoke up about her baking, she switched her expression from confident to a touch chagrined.  Yes, baking was considered something best left to servants, but it was her relaxation hobby.  "Thank you, my lord.  I would be happy to see some treats on their way to you all," she said.  Then added, "I'm trying to adjust these English palates to enjoy the finer Scottish flavors."

"It was a delight to meet you, Your Graces, milord," she said towards the Duke and Duchess then to Arran as well.  She barely kept from nudging Fiona, who has barely spoken, except to back up the Earl's claim of her baking prowess.

George and Baptist

Negating her irritation George gave a nod to the yonder Duchess. 

“Her husband is my greater friend, in fact I’ve never met the Duchess before -- but I suspect her devotion is not a burden I shall need now shoulder.” George made a joke.

“But yes, it was good advice and I am thankful of it. While after the fact it occurred to me that approaching you and slinging questions towards, is a pitiful way to treat a good man.  So it is I thought to amend my ways, and offer my best wishes towards your own endeavours.”

May was not one of those men you heard about planning this or that, nor that you thought of as an ambitious man himself.  (Though his position was such that he surely was not immune.)

“Do you enjoy a game of cards?”