JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Sunday Chapel (Sept 18, 1678)

Blackguard

John Approaching Cat

He had sat towards the middle having been added into the group that he had made the acquaintance of in the Spring. Elderly yet friendly they all seemed to welcome him and he suspected that 'matrimony' was playing a major part amongst the Ladies. But he took no offensives and smiled and nodded without agreeing to anything.

He took note of those about him asking for those names he knew but not a face. He looked closely at each committing them to his memory. He was also appreciated the little bits of information that his Company offered up about each one. 

The Service concluded and they all rose and it was then he saw Cat and her grouping and would make his way to her. Before he could another Gentleman appeared and soon conversation began.

He went off to the side a bit and would wait. If there was an opportunity he would approach them.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Finches with Mountjoy taking his leave.

Charles’s joviality fell a bit at Hen’s subdued response and he lost some of his propensity for small talk. Something must surely still be amiss if the prospect of steak and kidney pudding could not coax a cheery reply. “Let us say noon then and we shall speak like it was old times.” Charles said to Hen while casting a worried glance at his father.

He decided to cut the conversation short as he could tell Hen was not enjoying himself. Summoning up a gallant smile he turned to Elizbeth and patted her hand “Lady Winchilsea, if we were not in chapel I would kiss your hand but as we are I shall be contented with bidding you a pleasant Sabbath. Hen, I shall see you tomorrow.” He added kindly to his old friend and concluded more formally bowing his head. “Lord Chancellor, it was a pleasure as always. I shall leave you to your family.”

When he left the Finches he ambled about with no particular destination thinking to himself.

Duncan

"Melville," the Duke greeted happily.  "You have met my wife Anne?  This is my eldest son James.  Family this is Lord Duncan Melville."  Anne held out her hand to be kissed "I do not believe so."  James inquired "are you related to Lord George Melville?"  He seemed a polite lad.

Catriona

"Beauties one and all," Arlington declared, a master of court flattery.  "You must be very proud."  Catriona shooed away the youngest two and he bid them farewell, hoping to see them again.

That left Cat and Fiona.  "I have no doubt that the Duke shall be quite popular with the matrons at court.  We should strike before they can find someone to introduce them and their daughters."  He chuckled at the image in his mind.  "So, let us be quick; but, some background first."  he waited for a couple that was too close to press by.

"The Duke is William Douglas, Earl of Selkirk."  Cat would know the Douglas' to be a powerful family in the north of England. "He married Anne Hamilton in '56, the third Duchess of Hamilton, and he took her last name and is able to use the title of Duke during his lifetime.  The couple is well married and have eleven children, all living.  James is the oldest at 20, followed by Charles at 19 and Catherine, who is likely to debut next season.  She turned 16 this year," he explained.  Such information was invaluable, but Bennet had his own reasons for helping Cat.

Signaling Cat and Fiona to follow him, the Earl paused as he saw John Palliser  approach. He looked at Cat to see if she wished to greet the man.

James

Sedley was distracted by Merriweather's death.  He had hoped to discuss it with Dorset.  His own feelings on the subject were mixed, but he thought he should do something beyond praying for Alexander's immortal soul.

"Your epic? Yes.  In truth I have not read it yet.  I apologize.  You see I found Merriweather dead yesterday.  He is the one we spoke of Thursday financing our bit of fun.  Seems the man hanged himself.  Most sad."

Mountjoy

Elizabeth Anne got goosebumps from the flattery of the Marquess.  She colored and gave a shy smile.

Hen nodded his agreement.  "Noon then.  Yes, like old times."  The Chancellor caught the look Blount gave him and shared the concerned expression.  "Grand," the senior agreed.  "I will envy the two of you catching up."  As Charles took his leave, his father suggested quietly that Hen should take the opportunity to mingle in the crowd, insisting that there should be a dozen ladies lurking to happen to bump into him for an introduction.  Hen showed no enthusiasm at all, thinking instead that he should leave London and Windsor for some trip abroad.

Duncan and the Hamiltons

“Your Grace”, Duncan kissed the duchess’ hand. “My lord”, he bowed formally to the ducal heir. “An honour and a pleasure to make your acquaintances”. Duncan was relieved that the duke was in good spirits. Rumours were that Lauderdale had done the man great political harm. But Hamilton was in his forties and would most likely outlive John Maitland. It is just a matter of time, Your Grace. Just be patient and make no risky moves. You will be back in the King’s good graces within a decade. You do well to look for powerful alliances south of Adrian’s Wall, though. An alliance with Newcastle would shield Hamilton from Lauderdale’s attacks.

“I am, my lord”, Duncan replied to the young nobleman. “His great grandfather John Melville was my grandfather Robert Melville’s older brother. His seat as Lord Melville is the Palace of Monimail, Fife, north of the Firth of Forth, whereas my seat is in Melville Castle, Lothian, southeast of Edinburgh”. There had been Melvilles in the Lowlands since the times of King David I. “My father was Robert Melville, Lord Monymail, Secretary of State for Scotland to His Grace King Charles I”. The locations, given names, and titles of a family could become quite convoluted, and Duncan added this last piece of information so if the young nobleman kept tabs on who was who it would be easier for him to place Duncan in the web of families and familial alliances.

The viscount then added. “Your father is a great man, my lord. I have sided with him on several issues in the Parliament of Scotland, and I pray to God that I can continue to do so. I am certain that one day you will follow in his steps”.

Waiting ...

Lady Pembroke was taking her own sweet time chatting with others around her.  It made him wonder whether she was doing this on purpose, just to test his mettle.

He was left alone with his thoughts as he scanned the chapel.  The Earl of Chichester was marrying Caroline Despany.  The woman was annoying and likely a French spy.  She had tried to separate his ward, Frances, from his custody.  She then wished to make amends by asking that he ride with her last season.  They had yet to do so and he felt no desire to do so this season.  He would, of course, because he said he would.  The Earl was different matter.  He had, at times, not acted friendly to Langdon, and Charles remembered it.  Perhaps they deserve each other.

Catriona was with Arlington.  She had brought all of her sisters.  Charles would have liked to say hello to them, but that was now unlikely.  Had Cat told Fiona to not speak with him?  If not, she might put Charles in an awkward position by approaching him.

Darlene had been in the company of Cumberland, but seemed to have only a short message.  He could not see where she was off to afterwards.

Cat, Fiona and Arlington with John approaching

Now, normally Cat was aware of her surroundings and would have noticed John's approach, but just at that moment, she noticed a friend already with the Hamiltons.  She also noted Duncan, while still too lean, was definitely looking better than when he had arrived on her doorstep yesterday.  Another basket of scones, Cat decided.  Which meant there was going to be a significant amount of baking this afternoon.  It was the cook's day off, so there should be peace while she worked.  Peace.

The ages of the Hamilton children matched up with Fiona, Shona and herself.   But so focused on the information that the Earl was providing, she didn't notice the pause.  If she found out later, she'd kick herself as she would never have snubbed an acquaintance.

"The gentleman with them, Lord Melville, is a family friend," she added as they moved towards that grouping.  Cat assumed Fiona was following.  

Darlene pretended to move with purpose, but she was as aimless as a fletchless arrow. 

Did Davina see me speak to the Prince? I hope she thinks the worst.   Where is Langdon?  She moved between a pair of men talking and smiled apologetically, before winding around a next, and spotting Charles kept going past, Or Lord Sedley, what is come of his pregnant daughter I wonder?   Darlene saw Sedley talking so another she'd not met, and wondered to interrupt them, but decided against.  Or where is Mountjoy?  She bent pretending to pick something dropped off the floor, and then turned about with pretence of looking for the owner.  There was Mountjoy, the one man who loved her.  But it was a love impossible.  He left behind him the Finches, her eyes falling upon Hen the Younger. 

What was it that always made her hesitate of that man, he did seem one with potential for an ambitious woman. But then, Darlene had never been very ambitious. 

Backing away from the scene she had bumped into someone,  "Oh goodness."   and the bumpee was non other than the last person she wanted to see let alone talk to. 

The Killigrews and Darlene

The four Killigrews moved in tandem up the aisle, hoping to speak with Charles Sedley as they were old friends.  Sedley had underwritten many productions at their theater and was a good counsel.  At one time, Thomas had considered his son might be matched with Catherine Sedley.  It would have been natural, but the girl had gone off and ruined her good name with York and Langdon.  The elder could get over that fact, but the younger seemed more disturbed by it.

As they waited for James to be finished with Sedley, they looked about the chapel.  Henry was eying the young men present.  One friend had suggested John Burgoyne for his daughter; but, she was such a beauty prized by the King, he thought to hold out for better.

They should have been looking closer to the interloper at hand.  From nowhere appeared none other than Darlene Hamilton, holding a kerchief!  

Thomas the Elder saw her first.  "Olympus! Is this a dagger I see before me!"  It was a quote from Shakespeare and cry of alarm.  Henry and his daughter turned, not knowing the identity of Darlene.  Thomas the Younger did know the face of Darlene, having observed it several times when she was not aware.  He pulled his father backwards and moved to interject himself between Darlene and his father.  "Begone, you shall harm my father no more!" 

Darlene and Mr Killigrew etc

" - a dagger of the mind, a false creation. Proceeding from the heat-oppressed brain."  Darlene returned from Macbeth’s speech, even as the rest of the Kiligrew family got all up in arms alarmed.

As little as she wanted to see Thomas, apparently they wanted to see her even less.  "Calm yourself already." Darlene rolled her eyes at Thomas the Younger, "you have quite a flair for the dramatic." this later quote she used was from Davina and meant to spurn. Likely Thomas would not dodge it as artfully as she had the day before.

Turning back to the elder she squared her shoulders, lifting her chin she spoke, "How do you do Mr Killigrew, you seem unslowed in your ways. Tell me if you will, how did you explain away your crimes?"

She had always wondered why he'd not been arrested after she'd told everyone of his misappropriation of goods and funds, and yet she'd been the one interred in the Tower. 

Basildon had invited his cousin to sit with him.  His sister, Lucy, sat up front with the Queen's ladies.  Louis, in keeping with his desire to be ahead in all things, had arrived relatively early and had sat as far to the front as his position might allow.  He was a member of the Privy Council after all, though not an important one.

He had chosen his purple frock coat, the one with golden thread acorns embroidered on the cuffs, lapel, and hem.  His waistcoat was black with golden unicorns on either side.  Gems flashed from the many rings he wore, and a sizeable diamond cravat was certain to catch the light.  His hair was held back in a purple ribbon, a French sign of loyalty to the Crown.

During the service, his eyes wandered to his friends and allies.  There was Buckingham, always an impressive figure, Finch, Norfolk, Somerset, and Worcester.  He also had friendly relations with many, including Ibracken, Lindsey. Chichester and even the Duke of York.

When the service was over, the Earl moved to George Hardwick and Caroline Despaney.  Both were friends of his and he wished to congratulate them before he planned to speak with the Archbishop of Canterbury for the obligatory compliment of his sermon. 

Approaching George and Caroline

With a smile, he moved promptly to their pew with a smile.  "Congratulations you two," he greeted.  "I am looking forward to Tuesday."

Francis Approaching Cat & Co on the King's Business

Being that he was not off duty until after the Sunday services and so was still attending the King, he was directly behind His Majesty with Buckingham next to him as had been the arrangement since he had taken up his position. It was horridly on display which he generally didn't allow to bother him overmuch, but he felt so many eyes on him and felt there would be so many whispers about him in such a visible place. His prime duty during the service was to watch for signs of His Majesty falling asleep and beginning to snore. It would be unseemly for the Queen to need to poke him, so his gentleman was trusted with the obligation of poking him from behind if he started to become audible. 

Honestly, he performed the same service with Buckingham who abhorred mornings and generally napped through the service. This morning, though, the Duke was awake. Perhaps he was more mindful of impressions than he otherwise would be. Maybe not for Buckingham himself because the Duke felt himself above such considerations but for Francis' position and place in the world being more precarious. Either way, he was happy not to have to poke a sleeping lion in his uncle during the duration of the service.

The Archbishop delivered an interesting-enough sermon, but Francis was partial to Compton if only for having more warm feelings toward the man personally for his kindness. 

When the service ended, he had but one more duty to perform for His Majesty and that was to inform Lady Alyth that he would see her late tomorrow morning at Buckingham's quarters. He then intended to speak briefly with Compton to see if he might introduce Francis to the Archbishop and if he had any word from Dorothea. As his blue eyes searched for Cat, he sighted Arlington making a line for her and then keeping her company.

His lion cub hackles instantly went up, both in protection of himself and his friends from plaster-nose, but also with a bit of irrational trepidation that Cat might be chummy with the earl; he immediately dismissed that thought right after he had thought it for she had no good words to say about Arlington when Francis had mentioned the man hating him the other evening. 

With a duty of the King to attend to, he plastered (heh) his most dutiful and blank look upon his face and headed that direction with a purpose. An idea was forming in his mind, and he hoped that perhaps the lady would be amenable to helping him.

Without any indication of knowing her or being friends with her, he walked straight into their grouping and said formally, "Lady Alyth, I have a message from His Majesty, might I have a word privately?" He dipped his head to Arlington with the utmost of politeness and said, "Forgive me, my lord." He needn't be so polite when he was on the King's business since that trumped all other things and necessitated any interruption, but he found Buckingham's words ringing in his head to "play his role," and Francis was intent on playing it well. He would give Arlington no reason to complain.

Mountjoy approaching Langdon

His short exchange with Heneage took some of the shine off the service. Although he had his own problems he would do whatever he could to help Heneage with his and, as he was thinking about this he saw an opportunity to perhaps help another person that had come to him with a problem. Charles Whitehurst was looking resplendent in his uniform and appeared to be just the sort of gallant gentleman he needed so he headed over to where the Major was standing alone.

“Lord Langdon, it is a pity that we have not seen much of each other as of late. In fact I do not believe I have had the honor since I have returned from the continent. I pray everything is well with you. Are you still riding as much as you used to?”

Mountjoy and Langdon

Was that Darlene?  Charles saw her pass by on the way down the aisle.  If she had been less careful, she might have bumped into him.  That would have been more than awkward, especially with Lady Pembroke on hand.  She seemed to be heading towards the Killigrews, equally awkward.  Despite the animus Darlene felt towards him, he wondered if he should follow her lest she encounter Thomas Killigrew and another attack occur.

Before he could go to her aid, Lord Mountjoy arrived.  "Ah Lord Mountjoy, a pity indeed.  A pleasure to see you sir."  Blount asked about riding.  "Not as much as I would like.  I rarely get a day for a long ride or a good race.  You are the Master of the Queen's Horse.  Perhaps she might sponsor a race here," he offered hopefully.  The King had mentioned a race might be planned, but no details.  "And how are you and your lady wife faring?  I trust all is well."

Mountjoy and Langdon

“I can certainly mention it to the Queen if the King has not already planned such. What would a trip to Windsor be without a good horse race after all?” He asked rhetorically. “It is not that difficult a thing to arrange and I know of no one, even if they do not ride, that does not like watching an entertaining gallop.”

He was a little less exuberant when responding to the next question. It was a simple enough matter to respond with some mannerly platitude but it still caught him out. “Oh, The Margravina is doing fine and is in good spirits, as we all are, with the coming of the new Prince. Surly it is the hand of providence that blesses our nation so.” Perhaps it was his desire to avoid the topic that led him to abruptly change the topic to another direction.

“I must confess it is not for your equine prowess that I approach you but for the reputation you have obtained with the Ladies.” And when he said ‘with the ladies’ he said it in the way men only do when there are no women present. “You see there is a Lady that is an acquaintance of mine… a perfectly charming, vivacious and good looking Lady… who has been dastardly treated by some rascally scalawag of ungentlemanly disposition. As a result, this young innocent thing has been plunged into the depths of despair. It would be just the thing for a handsome dashing soldier, perhaps even a Major in the Life Guards, who is mindful of the gentle fragility of a Lady to rescue her from the torment of such a scoundrel and restore to her the reputation due to a gentlewoman. I come to you as you would be the perfect knight to rescue such a damsel.”

After Blount delivered such a glowing account of Whitehurst’s character, he assumed that the gallant squire would jump at the chance to serve a Lady so. “As a matter of fact I believe the wronged Lady is present in this very room, no doubt to seek solace from the despicable treatment she has received from the unknown blackguard*, so I may offer an introduction to the Lady without delay.”

*See what I did there?

Chatham, feeling himself observed...

It had been a tolerable enough service, Charles supposed, as such things went, or perhaps he was simply becoming inured to such things. No one had objected to Caroline and Chichester's banns, at least. He had harboured the faintest thought that someone might, given how fast they seemed to have moved, but that he knew was just his love of scandal talking.

No, he could not say that chapel had been overly onerous, and if he had not enjoyed it then it had at least provided an excuse to dress up a little. A justacorps of carmine silk with golden scrollwork at wrist and collar and white Liège lace spilling forth from the cuffs worn over waistcoat and breeches of rich cream, the latter cut, as he preferred them, more tightly than was usual, the better to show off his legs. His stockings, cravat and eye-patch, meanwhile, were the distinctive rich golden-brown of sea-silk. A striking ensemble, even if he had entertained private doubts about the cream.

I should know by now to trust Wodehouse's eye.

He was distracted from his self-admiration by the sensation of eyes on him, and looked up to see Willoughby.

Approaching Johnathon 

They hadn't spoken since that little worm Abdy had... interrupted them at Christmas. He had written, but that was not at all the same, and so Charles smiled and made his way over.

"Willoughby! It has been too long! How have you been?" he greeted cheerily.

Edited by Charles Audley

Duncan

Arran nodded his understanding.  It took a Scot to understand the distinction and seats outlined by Duncan's response.  In the end, all of the clans had connections with all of the other clans, which could be recited by Scottish nobles even if it went back ten generations.

"Thank ye for the kind words Melville.  You are a fine fellow.  Perhaps we might lift a mug together in town later this week and laugh about courtly things, aye?"

Catriona, Francis, John, and the Lord Chamberlain

Catriona seemed not to notice John waiting to approach.  She was eager as she should have been.  It was no matter to Arlington.  His service was to be done for Catriona and her family.  "Come then," he announced with a smile.  He used his white staff of office as a way to open a path in the crowd.

It was then that Francis appeared.  Like smoke in the air on a summer eve in the forest, it was an unwelcome arrival.  The lad claimed official Crown business that required him to step aside.  "Of course.  I understand."  There was no recourse for Arlington.  "Lady Alyth, I shall wait for you over there."  His stick pointed to a place near where the Hamiltons stood.  "Lord Kingston," he gave the young cub a nod and ambled away.

Darlene

A witty retort quoting Macbeth could have been an olive branch.  Instead, she set fire to the branch and made old accusations.  Thomas the Elder was too much the gentleman to respond in kind.  He turned and moved away, soon joined by his brother and niece.  The woman was clearly mad, more ways than one.

Thomas the Younger was more heated and more schooled in the stage than in chivalry.  She could quote Macbeth, so could he.  "Thou cream faced loon, how is it that thou can explain away thy crime?  Base is the crime that comes from apprentice to master.  My father gave you trust and you gave him spite.  He sought to give you life and you sought to repay him with death.  He could have sued your family, as was his right.  And you dare approach, not bathed in contrition, but further slanderous breath.  Begone from our presence and use this chapel for repentance rather than recrimination."  He was a natural showman when provoked and he had thought his words to Darlene many months before.

Cat , Arlington, (sorry!) John, with Francis sliding in

Cat was surprised at the arrival of Francis with words from the King.  She knew Francis didn't like the man, but she also remembered being told to use her connections.  Of course, she preferred Francis' company.  "Thank you for your patience, my lord," she said to Arlington, ready to take any offered arm from Francis or simply walk wherever he wished to go.  Just as she was turning her head, she saw John and realized he had been so close but she had missed him.  She mouthed a quick 'Hello' in his direction before returning her attention to her blond friend.  "Well, you look no worse for wear, so I'm guessing it wasn't a horrible shift with His Majesty," she teased, unaware that he might be questioning their relationship.

Langdon and Mountjoy

When one gentleman approached another privately to discuss ladies, the Code required a nod that only males understood and an expectation of something being shared that was totally inappropriate and equally welcomed.  "I see."  He looked about to make sure no lady, especially Lady Pembroke, was approaching.  He was then going to assure the Marquess that he was the least of the scholars of the female mystique; but, before the Earl could utter the disclaimer, Mountjoy continued.

"The scoundrel," he muttered under his breath.  "Who is the lady?" he asked, being short on time.  At any moment Lady Pembroke would signal or approach, so Langdon needed to remain alert and able to end this conversation.

John Acknowledges Then Leaves

He could see obviously that it was turning into a missed chance but he did nod and offer her a smile at her mouthed greeting. 

The arrival of a blond haired Gentlemen who said he came from The King gave him pause. He had forgot in his pleasure at her company that she effectively belonged to another. And not just ANY Gentleman either!

He gave a small sigh and then headed off with the intent to walk out some frustration and to think.

Lady Alyth was out of his league. There was no way round that. Perhaps they might be friends and he wished for that. She seemed to have quite a large amount of 'freedoms' and the approval to go and go as she pleased.

He adjusted his stride once free of crowds a small frown worrying his brow.

Now where did one go to look for a boat  .......

He gave no answer, she supposed there was no answer to be had.  But instead Mr Killigrew silently tuned his back on her, which was the greater insult than lack of reply.

Unfortunately, his son though, who she’d dismayed at his dramatics, launched a further tirade in defence of silent father. 

Darlene paled at his slurs, while her self doubt found concern that her brother James could have been sued over it all. Whatever that even meant. The son of Killigrew certainly believed Thomas was blameless, while Darlene; Darlene mostly remembered the cookie crumbs on the plate, and having tried very hard to do well, tidying his office and arranging his things.  But it came to nothing. She could hardly remember what had tipped her frustration over the edge into anger, though she vividly remembered trying to cut the mans throat.   

Perhaps it really had been nothing. Perhaps she’d been entirely wrong all that time.

And so she did as he said. She turned, and silently left, taking care not to meet any a ones gaze - and once outside she ran back to her room. 

Mountjoy and Langdon

“Oh, she is most charming. You probably know of her. The mistreated mademoiselle is none other than Lady Oakham. I do not know the identity of the malcontent that mistreated her so as she is the soul of discretion and most circumspect in her accusations.  Can you believe someone calling themselves a gentleman could behave with such disregard for the honor and reputation of such a fine woman. I am sure, with your sterling reputation you will be able to mend the hurt done and if you find out the identity of the cad I daresay you will have no compunction against arresting the cur.”

He looked over to Darlene. “Such a brave little creature, going on as if nothing has happened.: He sighed. She would make you a fine wife if you were so inclined. Look. I believe she is playfully quoting Shakespeare to the Mr. Killigrew’s party.

He looked upon Langdon benevolently. He wondered why people went to Lady Lucas for relationship advice. This match making business was easy.

Chatham & Willoughby

"You are looking well," Willoughby gave a purse lipped smile, having apreciated Earl up and down as he'd approached, "Yes it's been some while, and I hear that you hae been quite busy." 

Hand moved to flick back blonde forelock that had slid forwards as he spoke, his eyes remaining on Charles through out.  Said hand had several more rings than they previously had.  "Some might say fortune treats you well."  

Dorset and Cambray

Anne-Elisabeth laughed. “You like the attention. Admit it. Maybe I shouldn’t have come to your rescue.”

Dorset asked who she was planning to speak to. The only positive thing about attending church was the opportunity to meet new people. “I hope that you can help me with that,” she replied. “I would like to make some advantageous connections and I am interested in investments, science, and becoming a part of His Majesty’s inner circle. With those goals in mind, who would you suggest I grace with my presence?”

Chatham & Willoughby

"As always I must give most of the credit for that to my manservant, without whose keen eye for cut and colour I would as like wear sackcloth as silk," Charles laughed. "It hardly needs saying but you yourself look exquisite. Your tailor continues to stretch the limits of excellence."

(And if he thought that Willoughby's compliment went beyond appreciation of merely his tailoring, or meant his own to do so too, well the only sign was a momentary flash in his eye.)

If Charles had prospered since they had last spoken (and he was prepared to say he had, by most accounting) then so had Johnathan. That was a profusion of pretty rings the other man was wearing, though on purely aesthetic grounds he would rank that delicate backward brush of Willoughby's forelock more highly.

"Well, one must always remember that fortune is fickle, but I have laboured to retain her favour, and make the most of it while I enjoy it," he continued, voice light. "But you too have done well since last we spoke, I think." 

He glanced about the chapel idly and went on.

"And how is your lady wife?" he asked, just as he would of any male acquaintance.

James and Sedley

The heir to Baron Iveagh had a complicated relationship with religion, knowing God the Creator to be true but finding some of the strictures of Catholic and Episcopalian to be wanting in proper reverence. God’s only Son had died so that life may be celebrated without the burden of an original sin, and humanity was thus free to honor His Creation – the shores of Loch Cuan and the cliffs of Dover shimmered with His omnipotent brilliance; a beautiful aria,  a well-crafted sculpture, a verse made with utmost regard to what one’s fellow man could see and hear, these were al reverences in the eyes of James O’Neill.

Yes, it was a curious relationship he had with the two major churches of Ireland – the high Church he professed to because his lord father demanded it, while Rome ostensibly still claimed the allegiance of the O’Neills at heart. James himself did not fit neatly in these boxes, as many poets would find, but a very Catholic (or at least Irish) oath escaped his lips when he heard of Merriweather’s fate.

“Saints preserve us.”

It was not especially loud, nor was it a thoroughly-considered statement, but rather an oath of mild shock. This was the second death he had heard of in as many days, and again, James had little idea of how to proceed. “I…am terribly sorry to hear that,” he muttered through tensed jaw, a grimce so intense that he felt a quiet pop at the back. “I’ll admit, my l- Sir Charles, you gave a conflicting impression of the man. Were you…ah, especially close?”

The poet ran a hand through his hair, trying to process this news while squaring it with the fact that his magnum opus was passed over in favor of mourning an alleged pederast. “I am endeavoring towards a kind of sincerity in the moment,” James explained, chuckling grimly. “So if you would that I leave you alone, sir, you need only say the word.” He was looking for the Butlers, anyways.

“But…were it my, ah, friend, I would consider celebrating his life before the tragedy.” The Irishman attempted to give Sedley a meaningful look. "There is a sort of piety in that, I would contend.

Maybe not for a pederast, of course, but whatever it took to ingratiate himself with the main figures of the Gang.

Edited by James O`Neill

Mountjoy and Langdon

The lady's name was revealed and it was Darlene!  Blazing Cannons!   He fought to control his facial expression.  What could he say?  Whatever it was, it needed to be quick.

"I am surprised."  That was true.  "I know the lady well."  What could he say next about visiting her?  One did not lie to the Lord Solicitor ... unless it was absolutely necessary.  The Marquess then stated something further that caught Langdon's attention immediately.  She was with the Killigrews.

His head swiveled immediately in her direction to see her with Thomas the Younger.  Did she have a knife?  If she was brandishing a weapon, he would need to run to stop another crime and protect her from herself.  There was, indeed, another confrontation and Charles readied himself to spring into action.  Rather than lunge towards Killigrew, she retreated and went right past them without looking at anyone.  She was obviously upset.

Turning back to Mountjoy, he spoke in a quiet voice.  "I feared another Killigrew incident."  He expected Mountjoy would know about the first one.  "Something bad just happened to her.  Being a ladies man is much different than understanding ladies," he confessed.  "We military men are not trained to use tact and empathy like you lawyers.  It is your expertise to know exactly what to say in any moment.  You have gained her trust.  Perhaps you could go to her now and comfort her.  I fear I would only make things worse."  It was always a happy thing when one's advocacy was well-grounded in the truth.  

There was nothing the Earl could do.  She would not speak with him.  Even if he could, it was imperative that he remain and await Lady Pembroke's pleasure, even if she waited long enough for Windsor Castle to crumble into dust. 

Cadell approaching Lady Doneraile, and Henry draws near

“Lord Athenry,” Annes face brightened to see him, “I missed seeing you during the recess, what new adventures have you to share.” 

They were known to each other through Beverly – and so Anne had a fondness towards Cadell upon account of her younger brother not having a great number of sincere friends.  Her reference just now to his possible accounting of adventures related to the many dinners Cadell had shared at the Brookes with livly conversation.    

“Unless you wish to reserve them for the next dinner table we share?”

Though that was unlikely to be this season, upon account of the close quarters all but the highest ranking peers enjoyed.  

“I was just looking out for my Brother or Sister in law...” Anne modestly replied, her search was hardly really a search at all. With a gentle expression she turned as if to resume her hunt, and there saw a gentleman who, by  posture evident, was known to Beverley’s friend.  Anne smiled in anticipation of an introduction, her gaze swinging back to Cadell. 

Chatham & Willoughby

Willoughby chuckled appreciatively with the complement, needlessly dusting a lapel, “Importance is where you appreciate it, and for me…” well no more than that needed be said.  Jonathan was, had ever been a show pony sort of gentleman. 

“But please, don’t say the word sack within my hearing, I think I feel a graze at it’s mention!”

He was flirting with the man, obviously even.

“Fickle as a woman they say, how often we find ourself at a mistresses mercy.” Those words were not flirtatious though, and held a touch of bitterness. 

“Oh these.” Her fluttered fingers with gems, for he’d felt Charles reading him. “Courtesy of my dear old Father in law Tressider.  Be a dear and abandon calling her a Lady - Megan is with child again, this shall be the third now can you imagine it.”

The first was definitely not his, there was a chance that the second was, upon his wife’s initial insistence of marital duties, but this latest definitely wasn’t.  "I think I know how Joseph felt.” He spoke, possibly heresy, and then chuckled.

“And you…?” Johnathan’s eyes sharpened with some intentness. Gossip was his second most favourite genre, and he’d heard gossip about Charles that- well, he wished to hear it from the horses mouth so to speak.

Francis and Cat

Though Francis had his background fears, he did not truly think Cat the sort capable of that sort of betrayal, and regardless he did have duties to attend to that couldn't be ignored, so he offered her his arm and led her toward the nearest far wall away from others. People tended to congregate toward the middle when conversating, wishing to be seen, so he chose a place they would not be overheard.

He smiled at her joke. "No shift is terrible with His Majesty, as I'm sure you know. Busy, though, it was very busy. I was sad to not see you at the bonfire last night, but I am sure you had fears about your sisters sneaking off as well."

His blue eyes cast in the direction of Arlington and then around them to make sure they could not be overheard, "I do have a message from the King, but..." He paused for a moment and then simply whispered, "I do not wish to think you are friendly with Arlington...My cousin the Duke says he has uncovered Arlington and some others like Oxford are behind the slanders and broadsheets plaguing me. The conspiracy may go further than attacks on His Grace and myself, treasonously so. I do not know but...Do not trust the man."

Francis and Cat

"Ah, well, last night I may or may not have been experimenting with new ingredients that a friend of mine sent me as bribes for more sweet treats," Cat teased.  Indeed, along with using those ingredients (save for the brandy, which she hadn't figured out how that best paired with other flavors yet) that Francis had sent her, she might have prepped what she needed for fig tarts.  "As for my sisters, as you can see they're with the governess in the back.  Douglas is supposed to be taking them on a picnic this afternoon.  Definitely earning points in his favor from me."   Ah, sweet blissful silence. 

The whispered words made her want to whip her head in the direction of Arlington and give him a good stare down, but it was neither the time nor the place.  That solitary brow flew up her forehead as she worked hard not to allow her face to show too much.  "Oh really??? I knew you didn't like him, but to be so arrogant as to slander you both?  Have no fear that I truly trust him.   Any politician I trust about as far as I can throw them.  And despite my elevated belief in my own superiority, these arms are meant to throw knives, not old men.  I was just using him to get an introduction to a ducal heir who is unwed."  She took a deep breath.  "I know he's just trying to use me.  I was going to use him to get an introduction to the Duke and Duchess of Hamilton.  Unwed heir who is my same age.  But, since Melville seems to be on good terms with them, I can likely get an introduction later if you want me to snub Arlington."