JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Sunday Chapel (Sept 18, 1678)

Blackguard

Francis and Comptons

Francis was surprised when the bishop announced this was his elder brother. They had very different coloring and only some similarity in features.

"No, I have not have the honor. A pleasure, my lord."

A blond brow raised delicately as the bishop stated that his brother was looking for a playwright. One who had recently been in the Tower unless he misunderstood.

"Does the fellow have a name? I confess to knowing many writers, but the only gentleman I know to write plays who has stayed in the Tower has not formally visited in some time, but I have heard that your lordship plays a very good game of rooftop tennis from His Grace*." Buckingham's stays in the Tower were known for being posh and daily tennis was his usual sojourn. With a smile, he added, "In seriousness, if I might be of service, I'd be happy to help."

(OOC - *Buckingham actually did play tennis on the rooftop with the Constable in real life *snort* )

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Francis and Comptons

"Edward Kynaston*."  Northampton replied, "But no he was not resident of the Tower, but of Barn Elms, or so he had said."  There was an odd manner with the elder Compton that might be harder for Francis to put his finger on. "Though you are correct that he visited, though not myself I shall have it said."  

The Bishop chuckled at this talk of rooftop tennis, "I had not known you to be so fashionable brother!" For surely it was an ala mode affection, and surely not the recomended place. "How ever did you manage the stray tennis balls." 

Bishop Compton was a far more modest man than his elder brother the Earl, who was prone to be a bit about show. (Diarist Pepys did not like him due to that fact)

ref: One morning while fencing

Francis and Comptons

"I do know the man, though not well, for he did stay at the Duke's house for a time after the fire took down the playhouse," Francis said. "My cousin has many friends who visit." Few stayed with them though, so it might be said that Buckingham must have a appreciation for the actor. Or another use for him, in information, as he had with Greyson, who was off on the continent, frequently sending reports of goings on to the Duke of continental affairs whilst being funded for his writing.

"I've not seen him...since Easter perhaps? Though I spent most of recess in Yorkshire dealing with deputying His Grace's Lord Lieutenancy, for His Majesty wished the Duke to stay near. I am guessing that you have checked Barn Elms."

He hmmed as he thought. "The Killigrews may know a thing or two."

Sophia and Duncan

“May you and Don Esteban enjoy many, many children, Doña Sophia”. Duncan meant it. “I can understand your lord husband wanting an heir first. An heir is a pressing concern for all those who carry the burden of a title…” including myself. “But I am certain that both sons and daughters will bring the two of you much joy”.

As Sophia stated that she would talk with her husband, Duncan nodded thankfully. He had met officers of many nationalities while in the Continent and, although he had fought under French leadership, he had learned to appreciate the Spanish officers. They had a certain directness that clashed with the polite deviousness that the French displayed. Duncan had quickly learned to be wary of the French.

“Thank you, Doña Sophia. My mother is indeed a strong woman…” she was aging, but the dowager was made of iron. “And my sister, Lady Balcarres, is no wilting flower either. My daughter will learn to embroider, sing, and play an instrument, as she should, but if she is agreeable to it, she will also be taught to ride, hunt, fish, and defend herself from unwanted attentions”. Scotland was not known for weak women. “And if they are not enough, Mistress Doolittle will make sure she learns numbers and languages…” and some choice curses in those languages, I am certain! The last thought brough the tiniest of smiles to his face. Ophelia had related many a story of the time when she and her sisters were younger.

“I will make it a point to give your condolences to Sir Cedric, of course”. It was only proper for Sophia, who had been the baronet’s ward, to send them. But it was also proper for her to stay away from situations loaded with strong emotion. “Ellen is correct. It would not do to burden you so in your current state”.

At the confession that Sophia and Ellen had been at odds with each other, Duncan smiled. “Two strong personalities were bound to clash, methinks. But she is an extraordinary young lady…” the viscount was about to relate how Ellen had been so helpful when Lady Hardy had had need of help and stayed in Melville House, but thought better of it. He realized he was privy to things he should not relate openly. I need to learn how to keep my mouth shut. I am too open for my own good.

“She is talented indeed, and not only at designing gowns”. It was not for Duncan to state that he found her quite capable to run Horizon Ventures by herself. She had kept the company in profit when her father had been sick. Duncan had been in charge of the Edinburgh offices, at least nominally, but Ellen had run both the London offices and the Bristol warehouses. She had even counselled Duncan when he had had to go to the exchange on some important matter or other. He may have been the public face, but she had been the one that ran things.

“She deserves a husband that treats her well…” perhaps even as an equal. “Would you happen to know of someone for her?”

Nicci and Anne-Elisabeth

Before the gentleman could respond, Nicci swooped in, interrupting any conversation they may have had. Anne-Elisabeth scooped up her pomander (after losing one in the fountain after the murder last season, she didn’t want to lose another) and let her friend lead her off to the side. In fact, His Majesty might be more likely to listen to his new mistress than one of his own gentlemen, though she didn’t plan on asking the Frenchwoman to sing her phrases.

The Countess grinned. “Should I be flattered or frightened?” Nicci was always full of mischief. Whatever she proposed would definitely be interesting.

Davina and Henry

It seemed to Henry that Davina had more than envy.  There seemed to be a reservoir of disappointment and a well of potential anger.  He had not been expecting that.

"We all know a Father Francis," he replied quietly.  "I am glad that he was there to soften things for you."  He added "I am no priest but I have to believe that God has a plan for you that only a lady can accomplish."  It was certainly an attempt to cheer her.  "Our family did not need another male.  A clever and beutiful lady such as yourself can accomplish far more if she puts her mind to it."

As for travel, he uttered "Rome then.  You must see its grandeur.  None can match it."

Catriona, Fiona and the Hamiltons

"Both," the Duke replied with a laugh.  All clans had heroes and black sheep.

A half dozen ladies had been paraded before Arran, but James found these sisters to be easy on his eyes.  If one was to be wooed, it was far better to have a beauty attempt it.  Cat would recognize that the young man was scrutinizing her, and Fiona.

The Duchess spoke up.  "Are you ladies spending much time in Scotland, or more at court?"

Nicci and Anne-Elisabeth

Nicci had not even noticed the pomander (what a poor gentleman she would have made). “But delighted of course.” She crooned as they moved off to the side, being also unaware that her ambitious friend had motives to her previous movements.

“I have a favour to ask of you, you see – I desire your assistance in a little secrecy.” Nicci’s voice was low, but not so hush that she didn’t hear her own unintended rhyme.  With a chuckle she added, “La, but just standing next to you spawns poetry.”

Serious once more she explained, “You see I wish to meet with a gentleman, but I do not want him to know whom he is going to meet. So I wondered if you might request a rendezvous from your writing desk, but it shall be me whom keeps that date.”

Francis and Comptons

"That may be some help." Northampton replied, though it did not seem like the information was a eureka moment.  He seemed a little distracted even, looking across the room.  Possibly at Lord Mountjoy.   "Well now we have that all settled, I really ought to look for the young Lord Compton.  Pleased to meet your Lord Kingston." he said to one, then to the other he added, "And I shall see you at supper."  Before moving off towards the door. 

Henry blinked after his brother, and then shifted his shoulders, "Have you brothers Lord Kingston?"  it was rhetorical, for he then smiled to add, "Ah, but I am glad we can speak... I delivered your message." 

Francis & Compton

"If I come across the gentleman, I will send you word," Francis said to Northampton. "Likewise, my lord."

Francis smiled and nodded his understanding. At least, in his view they were brothers even if they were actually his uncles.

"Oh?" If nervousness rose in his belly, he tried to ignore it. "I am most grateful for the favor and your lordship's kindness, again." He wet his lips, almost asking over-intently if there was a message in return. Though his hands were neatly folded behind his back, his palms sweat some. 

Whatever was wrong with him!

Catriona, Fiona, and the Hamiltons

Fiona had not been impressed with Arlington, and would have been less so if she heard the conversation between her sister and Lord Kingston. She stood a bit off to the side to give them some privacy. Her mind was in turmoil, wondering if the message from His Majesty had anything to do with her. Probably not, but she couldn’t help worrying that he would try to marry her off again. Most likely, he just wanted to see Cat and had forgotten all about her younger sister.

When they parted, she followed Cat back over to where Arlington waited with the Hamiltons. She was quite eager to meet the Duke's heir and fully intended to charm him. “Of course,” she replied to her sister’s warning.

Introductions ensued and Fiona curtsied prettily, without a hint of her usual seductiveness. Lord Arran probably had ladies fawning over him all the time. Most gentlemen wanted what they couldn’t have, and that was exactly what the auburn-haired Scot intended to be.  She would inform Cat of her plans when they got home.  Maybe she would help her with them.

Sensing his eyes on her, she noticed that he was sizing up her sister too. Cat was a bit prettier than she, but maybe he would prefer an unmarried ‘maiden’ with a title of her own over the widowed mistress of the King and mother of his child. 

The Duchess spoke and Fiona turned toward her, smiling warmly. Impress the mother and you had a better chance of bagging her son. As a proper younger sister should, she waited for Cat to answer the older lady’s question.

Duncan and Sophia

“Thank you, my lord,” Sophia said sincerely. Lord Melville’s good wishes made her believe that everything was going to turn out as she hoped, that this baby was indeed Juan’s child and that he would be able to father many others.

Even without a mother, it seemed that little Ellen would be well cared for. “She is lucky. I had a stepmother, but she was more interested in teaching me how to sing opera and speak Italian than instructing me on how to be a proper young lady. I had to learn that on my own. Both of my guardians, Lord Kingston and Sir Cedric, can attest to the difficulties I had adjusting to court life. It sounds as if your daughter will be well prepared.”

Sophia smiled gratefully when Lord Melville promised to give her condolences to Sir Cedric. After the baby was born, she would visit him herself as she had meant to do when he was ill. Again, it had been her pregnancy that had prevented her. She had been in the early stages then, but she had been so ecstatic she had told everyone that she was with child instead of hiding it as long as possible. She still didn’t regret that decision.

Lord Melville had a high opinion of Ellen, and for some reason, this pleased her. The petite singer wondered if he even knew that his sister-in-law had taken on the responsibility of running her father’s business when he was too unwell to do it himself. She had no idea that the Viscount managed a branch of the company in Scotland and was well aware of Ellen’s efforts.

She laughed when he asked if she knew of any suitable gentlemen who might be interested in Ellen. “I’m sorry, my lord. I do not find your question amusing. It’s just that Mistress Doolittle asked me the same thing, though I think she was only teasing. I suggested that she marry a man with low intelligence and even lower ambition so that she could tell her father he was in charge of the business while she runs things behind the scenes.”

Sophia probably shouldn’t have revealed that much, but it was possible that helping Ellen achieve that objective might take Duncan’s mind off his grief.   “She told me that she took care of it while Sir Cedric was ill and that she wanted to continue to do so. But he took away all her responsibility and now she can only manage his household. He seems to believe that a woman should not engage in business, but I think Ellen is more than capable of running a company. expanding it, and increasing the profits.”

She gazed up at him imploringly. “Please do not tell her that I mentioned any of this. She spoke to me in confidence but I think you need to know.”

Francis & Compton

It was an odd situation for the Bishop, but he had a full measure of each of these persons and was confident that both were gentle spirits.  

"She was pleased of news." he thought it best not to say that Dorothea had shed a tear when he'd told her he had a message from Francis.   "The gentle lady revealed that she had felt that it was she that needed to apologise upon account of an over concerned brother."  He'd spoken with her at some length, in confidence, of duty to family, of the careful line not to cross.  For while Dorothea was hardly the reckless type, her heart was involved and so she was more vulnerable.  

"She wanted to share her thanks for the message, that you are in her prayers, and considers yours a friendship that spans any distance."

Bishop Compton then drew a breath, the reluctant kind, and then added, "I would reveal, Lord Kingston, that she suggested that you might keep a correspondence. But I advised against it, unless she gains the permission of her brother." he paused, and then met Francis eyes soberly, "I am sure you would agree."

Francis and the Bishop

"Of course not. I would do the same if I was her brother. That is his duty. As it is mine to know my place and my duty as a gentleman to ensure she isn't harmed by slanders against me. She surely has done nothing wrong."

It was sweet of her to feel such a way and have a care over his feelings, but it was wholly unnecessary. He was not one to blame a lady who was blameless.

"Yes, my lord, I do agree. It would seem sneaky, and I have no reason to sneak and nor does she. I have given my word I will behave properly, though I do not think the lady need know there has been an intervention to protect her," he revealed. "I am to tour the margrave on the Thames tomorrow in preparation for the yacht race. I will speak to him then. I am not one to...beat around the bush...and Germans seem to appreciate forthrightness."

Davina and Henry

"Ah yes. 'God's Plan' and one that only I can accomplish?"

A small shake of her dark head.

"A phrase I had head all my Life yet with no real explanation. I was taught that my ONLY Goal was Wife and Mother. What else can be better than that?"

"Families always need males Henry. You are not so misguided to actually think that. I may be 'clever and beautiful' but accomplishments, outside of an advantageous marriage alliances, rarely come to women."

"There are exceptions naturally but they too are few. And what 'things' do you think I might achieve hmmm?"

"I am curious as to your answer."

She smiled a glance across to him.

"It was an unfairness that took away my Position. Something that I was innocent of entirely but no matter what I said I was not believed. Well, to be completely honest, I was foolish in some thinkings but held no intent."

"And now I am as you find me."

"And yes I would to Rome but I asked where YOU would go." 

Davina and Henry

He was no stranger to these arguments.  He had plenty of sisters, most of whom were quite content with their role.

"It is God's plan that his children mate and multiply.  Do not underestimate the satisfaction you will feel creating new life after new life.  No man can do it.  Only you can bear children, teach them to be good and pious and give birth to a new generation, and then another.  What could be more beautiful than that?  To have children that would not have had any hope, any opportunity, any joy in their life, but for you?  It is a heavy duty but one with unlimited possibility and joy," he attempted to assure her.

"You wish you were me?" he challenged her.  "I am the son of a Catholic viscount.  I can hold no office.  No one will ever credit a word I speak in the House of Lords.  I am surrounded by suspicion and hatred wherever I go cousin.  What is this great accomplishment I can achieve that you cannot?"  His words sounded as bitter as her own.

"I can choose my wife, father children, train them, and then die with the passing years.  Perhaps I can go to war alongside men who hate me so that I can kill members of the Mother Church from a different country.  Is that what you miss cousin?  Would you enjoy killing men, women and children?  What is it that you miss?"

"If  I look at my life through the same prism as you, I am doomed to be nothing, punished unfairly for the prejudice and injustice of the realm."  He adopted a dark countenance.

"You lost your position because you were Catholic Davina.  If you had not lost it last season, you would have lost it this season or next.  Catholics kill and eat Protestant babies, have you not heard?  The Queen has a Protestant baby.  They cannot allow you near it.  They never will," he assured her with his dark outlook.

"You and I can choose our own path cousin.  We can live and love."  Here his countenance lightened.  "When we lose our lives, it can be for something that matters."  He looked into her eyes softly "or to lose your life for someone that matters."

"Me?  I would go to the Holy Lands sweet cousin.  I would even take you with me, if you were so inclined. so that we can see places that matter and walk in the footsteps of saints."

On 2/5/2023 at 9:08 PM, Blackguard said:

James and Sedley

"I think our departed friend would enjoy purgatory better, depending on the location therein," the playwright replied.  "Oddly, the man's nearest relative is a niece, who seems sweet and pious.  Kismet loves contrast, eh?"

On the topic of the epic, Charles found himself nodding.  "One can only wonder about the fate of a man who chases illusion," he added.  "If the ending were humorous enough, perhaps it would translate well into a play. as might the topic of the epic you sent me."  He looked for evidence of intrigue in the Irishman's eyes. 

James and Sedley

“Sin is a stain on the soul, they say,” James considered aloud. As said, this Merriweather fellow had not be an especially pleasant man, but Sedley was another story. “But are not cathedrals adorned in glasswork, its stains a thing of beauty and wonder? That, one might argue is the experience of Purgatory – a reminder of those sins, a mosaic of mistakes.”

All of that was pulled out of his ass, naturally, and utterly inappropriate for a post-church conversation. Perhaps the poet was already doing quite well at aping the ways of the Merry Gang whose ranks he aspired to.

On the matter of the epic, he nodded vigorously at the first part of the statement, admitting, “I’ve not quite worked out the ending. Perhaps our feline hero finds his service rewarded in a tower high…” The allusion there being quite obvious. “Ah! Or perhaps it is revealed he has been a mouser the entire time, chasing away vermin for the sake of a fish’s head and a spot of eel…the adventures detailed before a bit of fiction within the fiction.”

His green eyes sought out Sedley’s, wondering if the idea held any merit – but then the playwright mentioned theater, and he grew even more intrigued. “I modeled The Rising in part after traditional dramatic structures, I did, and once I was asked to write a libretto, but elsewise…I’ve only contemplated making such a work as an exercise of my own creativity. What do you envision, sir?”

Sedley would have the young Irishman’s full attention – was it collaboration he was proposing? Advice?

“You are much too modest Lord Chatham. A good eye for style and an appreciation for fine lines are not to be discounted. But considering the venue I do appreciate the propriety of your Christian humility.” He said to acknowledge Chatham’s well-bred self-depreciation. 

“A pleasure to make your acquaintance Sir.” He retorted giving Willoughby a polite bow. “Oh I do not think Chatham here would require us to pluck him and rearrange his plumage. He appears capable of being in fine feather himself with only his man to keep his buttons polished and his tailor well-funded. It is said a proper gentleman may put off paying his taxes or his grocer but never his tailor. I have also had the opportunity to observe Lord Chatham even when he was not so formally attired and I must say that his skill and vigor are to be admired” He made a little parrying and stabbing motion with his finger.

The conversation then turned from haberdashery to vinting. “Well… since you speak of pairing I must confess that I have a pretty little pear orchard at my pile in Dorset and we have been making Pear Brandy for generations so I must own that I have a bias towards that beverage. However, I also highly prize Calvados from Normandy. I tend to prefer my Brandy a bit more flavorful and the Calvados has a mellow yet crisp character.” It seemed that opinions on sprits were quite fashionable this season. “Are you planning to add to your cellar or increase your supply against a disruption from France?”

It was apparent that the two men were already acquainted as exhibited by their spritely banter yet Willoughby seemed to be an obliging fellow and such was his typical method of expression.

Nicci and Anne-Elisabeth

The French were so prolific with their compliments, but Anne-Elisabeth enjoyed it all the same. She chuckled. “You are more inspiring than I. You have an appeal no one can deny. Just the sight of you makes the King sigh.” And I came up with all that on the fly.

Her pineapple pomander swung back and forth on its chain as she listened to Nicci’s request. ‘Isn’t meeting with a gentleman alone dangerous both to you and to him now that you are the King’s mistress? And to me, if I assist you? With a well-honed sense of self-preservation, that was her most important concern.

“Or does he approve or allow you to see other men?” The young Countess was not against Nicci’s plan, as long as it did not come with repercussions that could either ruin her chances of becoming part of the King’s entourage or make her a head shorter.

Louis and George

It became clear that George was set upon his course.  George was more painter than politician --more pure than pragmatic.  Perhaps Louis could train the lord the way the world worked at court; perhaps not.

"I have only suggested a business transaction friend, nothing morally suspect," he laughed as he waved his hands before his body as if warding off false accusations.  "I still think a painting of the princeling would fetch a higher price, but I shall leave it to you, as you seem to have carefully thought it through."  There was little use in offering further alternatives.

"How soon do you think you will finish the painting, or is it just awaiting the missing hero?"  If it was the former, then the raffle would likely be a Christmas Court rather than at Windsor.  The idea of paintings reminded Louis that he needed to hire a master to do his own portrait, as well as one for Lisa, and even Nicolette.  It was best to sit when one was full of youth and vigor, than the elder statesman. 

Cat, Fiona and the Hamiltons

Cat laughed as well.  “Well then, I apologize for the brave and braw warriors of Clan MacBain,” combining an apology and brag into one sentence.  She grinned back, noting Arran’s review of her person.  Since it was a common enough occurrence, she thought nothing of it.  

The Duchess’ question had her pause for a second to see if Fiona was going to pipe up, but when she didn’t, she answered, “Lately it has been about half and half,” she said, not mentioning the fact that Fiona had been left on her own in London while Cat and the younger girls were at Alyth.  “While London has many things to recommend it, I often miss the air of the Highlands.  You can take the girls out of Scotland, but you can’t take Scotland out of the girls.”  She glanced at Fiona then tried to take a quick look at the rest of her girls in the back of the chapel.

Davina and Henry

He then gave his own rant to which she listened without interruption. He had so it seemed enough anger and frustrations to equal her own.

"You are mistaken. I did not say I wished to be you Henry."

She said quietly back.

"I never said that I would not seek to marry or have children. Naturally I shall. For I know I must. But I will not tie myself to a husband who will lock me away or seeks to belittle me. Are husband and wife not meant to be Helpmates? To share burdens and joys equally? I am Ambitious enough to seek an alliance that provides for me and one that my sons shall inherit."

He asked if she would miss all that he listed 

"No one seeks War. The taking of Lives. My meaning lies in the fact that my envy is for ALL of your sex and what they can do. Things that will be forever denied me. Both good and bad I suppose."

"Why do you discredit yourself? You say you can accomplish nothing? So without trying you will just continue to allow your anger to mount?"

"Foolish. Have you talked with your father - this Family is not without connections - so perhaps a way forward has been over-looked."

"Do you think that is the reason I was put aside?" She gave a small smile. "Well it is as good a reason as any for now."

"Choose our own path  ....... Impossible. At least for me."

They way her looked back at her was so reminiscent of others that she could to help but smile.

"Have you become a Poet Henry? I swear such honey'd words belong on paper  ..."

She did not for a second imagine that HE had any feelings romantic for her so it was easy to tease him back.

"The Holy Lands .... You are better suited I think for there. I do not see myself as another Eleanor of Aquitaine."

James and Sedley

There was little the playwright could say about Merriweather, at least in public.  A tortured soul to be sure, but there was also a life seeking the limelight.  Sedley merely nodded at the poet's attempt to find meaning.

As for the epic, Charles responded most quickly to the mouser metaphor.  "More likely the mastiff that becomes rabid and requires his master to put him down."  Nevertheless he nodded approvingly at the suggestions.

As to the possibility of a play with the other epic, Sedley suggested a collaboration.  "A tale of patriotism and betrayal sounds almost Shakesperian."  He was thinking of how to inject love of all kinds.  "Perhaps we see what we might create in the way of a play in the offseason.  It has the promise to hold an audience's attention, if the storyline is bold."

Cat, Fiona and the Hamiltons

The cat seemed to have gotten Fiona's tongue.  The Hamilton's were left wondering whether the girl was deferring to her elder sister or merely had little to say.

"Yes, the highlands have a tug on all of our hearts," the Duchess acknowledged.  Of course, the lowlands had an appeal to her and her husband as well.  "I expect we will return north as soon as the season concludes," she added.  Whether that was in response to her preference to leave Windsor and the south quickly, or whether it was a prudent plan to avoid the coming winter's effect on the roads north.

Like Fiona, James was silent.  He preferred to watch and felt uncomfortable in forced pleasantries.  He felt better with a pint in front of him and a group of rowdy young men.  The Duke also was inscrutable as his wife took the lead.

Arlington made himself useful to Catriona by noting aloud "Lady Alyth is quite the accomplished baker.  I am certain she would see some treats find their way to your quarters."  He laughed to keep the topic light.

The Duke replied "that would be most welcome.  We will look forward to our next encounter.  I am certain we shall see plenty of each other in the coming days."  There were other courtiers to greet and it was best to keep church chatter light and contact broad.

Davina and Henry

"Yes, I know you merely envied being a man.  I sought to impose myself into that comparison so that you might know that life as a man is not always a bowl of sweetened cherries," he acknowledged.  "I apologize that I allowed your anger to ignite mine own, like a lantern thrown into a pit of powder," he laughed so as to lighten the topic.

"Perhaps there is a path forward you have overlooked as well?" he offered in response to her own suggestion that he was blind to opportunity.  "A clever lady can be the mistress of her own destiny Davina," he offered in a quieter voice as they walked further from the chapel.

She hinted at another reason she was removed from the Queen's service.  It looked as though he was going to say something, but he withheld.

"Your brother is weak.  He can be manipulated.  Norfolk knows that surely.  He is not here to look after you as a brother should.  He has left you to the mercies of angry gentlemen like myself," he chuckled.  "Perhaps I might look after you, if you were to let me," he suggested.  The gleam in his eye suggested that his invitation was not wholly innocent.

Nicci and Anne Elizabeth

"It is more dangerous for him than I, but that is often enough men’s lot - and why they carry swords and ladies only a fan." Nicci warmly assured, while her eyes were caught briefly by the movement of Elizabeth Anne's pomander.  A pineapple swinging just there.  Pineapples were symbolic of hospitality, which she thought suited her friends spirit well.

Nicci chuckled then with that question, "Oh fear not my dear, it is not that sort of a meeting I wish.  I shall not be 'seeing' anyone but My Lord, but may certainly speak to any whom have character that interests me, and most particularly when I hold a gentle concern for their progress, " In effort to lighten Elizabeth Anne's serious mood she winked to add "...and the dangerous life he leads."    

Nicci was slightly surprised that her lady friend had not agreed already. 

Louis and George

“Oh but of course, I did not mean to suggest…” George apologised for their moral clash of viewpoints.  While still maintaining belief that lying about a price fetched was a falsehood even if it was because of business.  (It was very unlikely that he’d ever be trained to think otherwise!)

“I dare say.” He agreed, then mused, “I imagine Her Majesties ladies maids shall dedicate hours in watercolour studies of the baby.  Might I admit that I find babies look all rather the same to me.”  George was not really a portraitist by choice, preferring landscapes, but found far more interest to paint in a man or woman fully formed with the life they had lead visible upon their person.  

Babies with their newness were nearly blank canvasses.

“It might be a week from completion I would think. Not here of course, but in my Chichester Studio with the other pieces I am working on.”  Louis probably did not know that artists rarely did one painting at a time.  Typically George had four or five on the easels, and took to working on them as the mood took him.  Over the recess he’d made grand progress on the House of Lord painting, it was a quiet place to work, away from the quantity of woman in the household. Life was changing a lot for George, but in the Studio it remained the same.

“While of yourself Lord Basildon, what endeavours do you currently pursue?  My efforts at keeping abreast of politics has stalled somewhat – but I did hear a rumour of your recent advance.  Congratulations upon that, though I dare say it but a stepping stone to your next.”

Francis and the Bishop

"And of course you are aware of such things having had guardianship of Lady Sophia..." the Bishop added more in a manner of remind himself of why Francis would be especially aware of such things as the reckless invitation of correspondence.  Though that said, Lady Sophia was not the most devout lady at court, having been noted drawing pictures rather than attending to sermons.

"Intervention. I don’t know it's more than any effort Gentlemen make to shelter the women in their care.  In fact, upon that note you might even say her brother and yourself may see eye to eye." 

Raising a brow to hear that Francis would be seeing the brother, tomorrow even, "The Lord moves in mysterious ways." 

Sophia and Duncan

“Both Lord Kingston and Sir Cedric are extraordinary men. Although polite society has made opposites of them in a sense, with Lord Kingston becoming humbler with each success and Sir Cedric striving hard to marry his daughters above his birth circumstances, they are both kind-hearted, hard-working, and loyal and dutiful subjects of King Charles”. Duncan did not use the Scots way of addressing the king on purpose. Lady Sophia could misinterpret it as an intended slight, which it was not. “You had great guardians, my lady”. As for adjusting to court life, the Lowlander replied, “I am a Scotsman. Genteel customs in England are different from those in Scotland. I can relate to needing to adjust, and finding oneself at a loss of what to say or what to do. Time helps, though”. And his wife’s counsel in the privacy of their bedroom had been invaluable. She had not been born into nobility, but she had been so well read that most times her advice had started with “This author suggests that…” and she had been right most of the time.

Ellen. Dear Ellen. Always trying so hard. Always wanting to prove to her father, and to everyone else at times, that she was good enough. But Providence had deigned her to be born female, and thus polite society and her father frowned upon her desire to be the one holding the reigns, the fact that she was more than capable notwithstanding.

Duncan kept silent for a moment. That Lady Sophia had been so candid in her words was unexpected coming from an ambassador’s wife. Then he remembered how heart-on-their-sleeve most of the Spanish officers he had met on the Continent had been. Perhaps that trait had rubbed on her from Don Esteban.

“She was amazing at running Horizon Ventures while Sir Cedric was bedridden”, Duncan said sotto voce. Such words if said regarding a lady should not be overheard. “I visited our Edinburgh offices often, but the clerks there ran the place better than I ever could. I only made sure no one needed to hang from a rope because they were skimming from the top…” the viscount did not take kindly to thieves. “But she kept the company thriving. Please forgive me for saying this, but I have no better way to say it: Ellen’s life would be far easier if she had been born a man”. It was true. She would have then had a free rein at running Horizon Ventures. "It is difficult for her to accept that she was not."

His voice then came back to normal. “I once told a dear friend, Baron Dundarg, that he should marry her. But first my health, and then my lady wife’s, hindered me from helping that come to fruition. I do think they would make a good match, as they would treat each other as equals. Have you made Dundarg’s acquaintance? He is a great man, and would make a great husband”. His being a Fitz not a real factor in this case.

Edited by Duncan Melville

Chatham, Willoughby & Mountjoy

"I would of course be delighted to accept any sartorial advice you both might care to give me, before or after 'apt frivolity,'" Charles said, smiling, "but I will have to refer you to my manservant. He manages my wardrobe. My sole contribution, really, is that I make a serviceable tailor's mannequin."

He inclined his head in thanks for Mountjoy's compliment, grateful for the excuse to hide the smirk he could not help at Johnathan's flared eyes. He had a notion he knew what the other man was thinking, but was fairly certain that such thoughts were as doomed as his own idle fancies over Kingston had been.

"It is good of you to say my lord, but I will add that your own skill and vigour are by no means lacking."

Fashion was perhaps not a topic Charles felt qualified to comment on, but alcohol was one he felt far more comfortable with.

"Calvados is exquisite," he agreed, "but my favourite tipple is Armagnac. A trifle less subtle and sophisticated than Cognac, perhaps, but more robust and flavourful I find, and it makes for a most excellent nightcap."

It belatedly occurred to him that Johnathan might read into the comparison of the two French brandies, but there was nothing to be done about that now. His paramour would probably enjoy the thought of inspiring jealousy in Charles in any case, and there was no real harm in that.

"I had several cases brought in over recess, actually, just in case of a disruption in the Channel," he went on, answering Mountjoy's question.

He fancied the Dutch were more likely to be responsible for that than the French, but if the past year or so had taught him anything it was that he had vastly overestimated the rationality, pragmatism and competence of those holding the levers of power in Europe.

"I've been adding Irish and Scotch whiskies to my cellar as well, against such a possibility. In truth, though, I could manage without French brandy but losing access to claret would be a blow, and I have not yet found an adequate substitute."

Chatham sighting Northampton

Charles might have went on but he felt eyes on him, and let his gaze flicker out in search of whoever was watching him.

Northampton. It was Northampton.

Charles felt himself come on point like a gun dog.

Northampton, who had been something to Mary before she died. Northampton, who claimed not to have heard anything from her during her missing days, who said he knew nothing of how she had come to harm. Northampton, who Charles fancied looked perhaps a trifle nervous to see him.

Speak to him. Perhaps he has remembered something. Or 'remembered' something.

It was less a thought than it was an imperative.

"I must beg your pardon, gentlemen, but there is some small business I must attend to," he said smoothly, still smiling amiably. He inclined his head, turned to go, and then turned back for a moment. "Oh, and Willoughby, send me a note if you find you do have room for those bottles after all. I'm in the Octagonal Tower."

Johnathan had told Mountjoy they had been discussing brandy, and following up on that seemed the best way to both discreetly tell the other where he was staying and indicate a desire to continue their conversation later.

He nodded again and took his leave, moving to intercept Northampton.

Nicci and Anne-Elisabeth

Nicci’s reassurances were enough for Anne-Elisabeth. Having never met any of the King’s other mistresses or heard much about them, she had not known how possessive he was. He had so many of them that he probably couldn’t keep up with them all. Yet, to her knowledge, her friend was his current favorite and he might want to keep her closer than the others. She was glad that Nicci had the freedom to meet with whomever she chose.

And it seemed that all she wanted to do was talk with the man in question. “Very well,” she agreed. “Who is this mysterious gentleman who lives such a dangerous life?”