JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Sunday Chapel (Sept 18, 1678)

Blackguard

Lord Arran's words were most probably an oblique reference to the fact that church was neither the time nor the place to speak about certain things. That it had been Lord Arran who had suggested a further meeting and not the duke could mean many things. One of them, the one Duncan thought most likely, was that His Grace Hamilton did not want to be overheard. To Duncan’s mind, that said much.

“It would be an honour, ma laird. It is always good to raise a glass with a fellow Scot, so just let me know that day and the time, and I will gladly join you”.

Then we will see if I can be of use to you and yours, in a setting more conducive to free talk about weighty matters. Truth was that Duncan needed to occupy his time with… something. Before his arrival to Windsor, sleepless nights and idle days had almost driven him to madness. If the Hamiltons were to ask him to do something even as menial as standing guard at their door while they slept at night, he would be grateful and do it to the best of his ability.

Understanding that the question had also been a form of dismissal, Duncan bowed. “I will not take more of your time, Your Graces, my lord. As I said, I just wanted to pay my respects. May Providence grant you a restful day”.

Unless stopped, he would nod and leave.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chatham & Willoughby

"Then it shall not pass my lips. I should hate to discomfort you," Charles murmured lazily, smile showing just a hint of tooth. He had missed Johnathan, he admitted to himself. There was something deeply gratifying in the other man's blatantness.

Time, it seemed, had not reconciled Johnathan to matrimony. A certain amount of bitterness and anger was justified, he supposed, given what he knew of the nature of this 'Megan.' He had never met the woman, but reading between the lines she was something of a xanthippe, and was most certainly insultingly indiscreet.

And a suggestion here, too, that she and hers control the purse strings, which is sure to wear on a man.

"Did she not accompany you to Windsor, then?" Charles asked, the whole point of inquiring after Meg in the place being to clear the way for that question. It would open many doors, after all, if Mrs. Willoughby had remained in the country.

Charles always appreciated a good spot of blasphemy, and he laughed softly at Johnathan's sally.

"Ah, but he accepted his lot meekly, while you understand that sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander, hmm?"

That hint of tooth flashed again, and vanished as Johnathan became more serious.

"Maritally, you mean?" Charles shrugged. "I am trying to persuade Ormonde to consider my suit for his eldest daughter. It is going fairly well I think, by which I mean his grace has thus far refrained from having me shot and has even allowed me to prove myself."

"I say to that never miss some fun in homage to my stomach, no matter what ingredients I send you," he replied, with a cheeky wink.

As to the serious business, he said, "He has always disliked me so I can believe he would do it to harm the Duke." 

Francis snickered, "But I should very much like to see you throw him one day."

She explained that she wished to meet a duke that Arlington dangled in front of her. He could not fault her for that. If she could manage to entice the heir to a duke...

"No, use him," Francis said, suddenly thinking of a brazen idea. "In fact, do your best to seem incredibly dissatisfied that I interrupted you, no matter my message. Scowl some. If Arlington approached you, he must not know we are friends and that my cousin would yet aide your interests. We could turn this to both of our favors and you could yet get your introduction, so don't betray we are friends. Pretend you prefer...dealing with Captain Herbert or Ashburnham without saying why." He nodded at her to see if she could play that part.

"His Majesty wishes to see you late tomorrow morning at Buckingham's, with Nessie, and bring her governess or nurse or whomever keeps an eye on her so that you might talk too. I promised you I would speak to my master the King of your problems, and he wishes to help. Perhaps afterward you and I can talk candidly away from prying eyes. Strategize for both our benefit."

Francis and Cat

"I will remember that next time," Cat promised.  She was going to do her best to have some fun...once all the stress had decreased.  But back to the serious issue.  

"It was hard enough to carry a baby for 9 months on my back.  Tossing the Earl is beyond me."  She shook her head with the hint of a smile playing around her lips.  But, back to serious.  "I suppose since I rarely speak with His Grace, and that is a poor showing on my part, obviously," she admitted, "that he might think that there would be little connection."

Cat imagined having to speak with Major Whitehurst now, so her expression turned a bit sour.  "Does this work?," she asked as one brow rose in a more condescending expression.  "Feels weird to scowl at you, but those stints upon the small private stages in the Palace hopefully have paid off.  I'm no Nell."  She was all for both of them gaining from this.  "Which one would be considered your biggest rival?  That would be the best one to chose and make it seem there might be some strife."

Once again, one of the reasons Francis was such a dear friend showed itself with him arranging for this meeting.  "Governess officially, godsend unofficially, Agnes will be with us when Nessie and I arrive.  And likely a sweets laden basket.  Alright, we'll talk after and figure out a strategy.  Now, shall I roll my eyes and stalk away?"

Cordelia Speculating

She had split from the Cavendish Clan but still lingered. There was, in all truth, a sea of eligibles all around yet the surroundings prevented her from advancing. She saw how Newcastle went to the Duke of Hamilton with daughters in tow which gave her the idea of which way the wind was currently blowing - whether it was all the Duke's plan or his wife was also included she couldn't know. But it showed clear where their aim was. It would be for Frances naturally. The eldest married herself to a Duke did not preclude the second from also marrying into that lofty height. If a contract could be had between Newcastle and Hamilton that would indeed be a measure of her Success. That Frances had a broken engagement could not be used against her for ALL knew of Dorset and his lifestyle. She would have to seek out information of the Duke's heir   .......

There was Charles Talbot the young Earl Shrewsbury who at 18 was also in the mix. She wonders if Newcastles' daughter Margaret might be too much of a handful   ......

Then there was Heneage Finch Jr who's father was the Lord Chancellor of England. That would be a challenge indeed. But perhaps, with the right encouragement, he might be persuaded to begin a regime of exercise and moderation to his diet  .....

She saw the Kiligrews with their eligible son Thomas and did they not also have a daughter in need of a husband  ......

There were also several other Gentlemen she did not know but remembered that at least one of them was an Earl  .... what was it ... something with a "B"  ......

She gave a small sigh. This was really a very large task that she had been given and she was just one person. And so much was riding on her being able to pull them off. It was a shame about Langdon and now Chichester. Well the latter anyway not that she was wishing for a failure for the former ......

There were also several foreign Gentleman about Court who might be in need of a wife  ....

She saw Lord Grey then in conversation but she would walk in that direction and where, she wondered, was his 'niece'? She really must make the first move to mend that fence especially if she was to help Lord Grey to find a wife. She wanted there to be Harmony not discord and if that relation did not like her who knows what type of mischief might arise.

Lady Doneraile, Cadell greeting Henry

“And for that I apologize, my lady, having been most remiss. Battersea is but on the other side of the river from Chelsea – perhaps recess next Her Grace and I might call on you, or vice versa?” Athenry had little contact with his actual family, minus his siter Beth, so he cherished that the Saint-Legers and the readiness with which they had accepted him.

“Perhaps I might even induce the little duke to seek out some friends near his own age, hm?” It might have been advantageous for Anne’s children to make the acquaintance of Louise’s royal-blooded son, bastard or no. “Ah, but tales I have aplenty, even if the adventurous quality of them is rather more dubious.”

Cadell chuckled. “Some of the best might be better reserved for the dinner table than a house of the Most High.” Even a heretic one. “But since I never did get to tell you of my time in France, I have more than a few saved up. A most peculiar place, as grand as it can be downright eccentric.”

Lady Doneraile explained her search, and to this he nodded vigorously. “I, too, would welcome the company of your brother – if that wouldn’t be an intrusion, of course. Shall we…ah! There is Lord Grey, himself recently acquainted with Beverley.” Gesturing for the man to come forth, he’d offer the usual introductions if Henry approached, along the lines of: “My lady, might I have the honor of introducing Lord Grey, an astronomer and learned man of some renown at Trinity College? Lord Grey, you’ve the singular please of meeting the Lady Doneraile, devoted mother of three and sister to my friend Lord Beverley?”

Athenry grinned at Grey. “We were just contemplating the possibility of tracking the man down, or perhaps his lady wife, but I suppose you’ll do in a pinch, hm?”

Edited by Cadell Mortimer

Davina

It was no use to just simply stand there looking as if she'd been abandoned! There was enough gossip about her so she wanted to not add more.

There was George with his soon-to-be-wife Lady Caroline so she made to go to them. She wanted to offer her congratulations and to make sure that he understood that she was sincere in them. They shared a history that was true but much had happened and now she was just glad that he had at last found what he had been searching for. She knew nothing about his Bride save for the court gossip but she took all of that with a pinch of salt. She had last seen them both at Church on Easter Sunday but he had not introduced her to Lady Caroline or the other way round as well. That had struck her as odd and it felt much like a slight but he was not that kind of man our at least he hadn't been. Perhaps Lady Caroline was now a great influencer over him  .....

It was then that she spotted Henry Howard. Their meeting had not occurred and she had heard nothing from him. She had suspicions still had would continue to do so. His presence here was just too coincidental for her to not be weary of him. Plus she knew that she was being watched from the shadows or even out in the open and Henry was a known Catholic. But they were related yet two and two could make five very easily in the minds of others.

She would wait a few minutes to see if he came near before she'd continued on.

Mountjoy and Langdon

Mountjoy was not aware of any incident the calm and collected Darlene might have been a party to.  But the pair of Charles’ did not have any time to address that issue as the Lady in question abruptly left. Langdon did not seem very much inclined to involve himself in Darlene’s problems and issued a string of explanations. Blount could understand the reasons why Whitehurst would not want to became involved as, he was so insightful to point out, admiring the Ladies was not the same thing as understanding them. If Whitehurst had been involved in the incident, he would have been honor bound to intercede but as he did not admit any involvement Blount could hardly press him.

“I see. It is a shame for you would be the exact sort of honorable gentleman that could take her mind off the shabby treatment she received by that bounder and provide a steadying influence. It is up to us gentlemen to protect the gentler sex from such treatment but I understand you not wishing to become involved in this tawdry matter for I understand how puzzling a woman can be.” He smiled at the Earl to show that he understood the Earls position. “I am vexed as to whether I should seek out and expose this man to the ridicule and scorn that is his due or let the matter lie so as not to exacerbate Lady Oakham’s dishonor any further.   As you say you know the Lady well were you aware that she had fallen under the spell of some callous and unscrupulous rake?”

Henry joining Cadell and Lady Doneraile

Henry approached the duo, expecting to be introduced to Lord Athenry’s wife but, to his surprise, he was introduced to Lady Doneraile. Providence smiles upon me today, even though I was falling asleep during service! I promise, I will be more alert next Sunday!

The young lady was dressed in a gown of sage green velvet trimmed with cream lace and bright green embroidery.  Her hair comb was a jade Celtic knot that caught the Baron’s attention for a brief moment. Hmm… green… all green… a nod to the Emerald Isle perhaps. But what caught Henry’s attention was not the dress or the beautiful, and certainly very expensive, jade accessory. It was her eyes; the most beautiful hazel eyes the Baron had ever seen.

“An honour and a pleasure to make tour acquaintance, Lady Doneraile”. Henry would kiss a hand if offered. “As Lord Athenry said, I had the honour of meeting your brother recently. He authorized me holding a stargazing even on the Castle’s battlements on Wednesday night. He mentioned that you would be attending court. Perhaps you would be interested in attending?”

“I am afraid I might be but a poor replacement for Lord Beverley, Lord Athenry”, Lord Grey replied to the nobleman with a smile, “but perhaps I am better than nothing? Lady Doneraile will have to decide though. I would not want to impose my wretched self on her”. How the lady replied to that would tell Henry the kind of first impression he had made, which was important to the Baron because she had made a very positive first visual impression on him. Her eyesher beautiful eyes

Edited by Henry Grey

Lady Doneraile, Cadell & Henry

While upon good term, Anne had not thought of Cadell as her friend but her brothers, and so it was a different thing when Caddell suggested that they by pass Beverly next recess.  Though she swiftly came to understand it was upon account of his wife, the fabled Weeping willow. 

Anne chuckled and teased, “You are in need of reinforcements?” With a mother as attuned to courts comings and goings Anne was entirely aware of the transition, also understanding that Beverley’s friend was touched with ambition.  A detail that had her appreciate his offer of a Ducal playmate for her sons was a gesture deliberately done.  This was how families rallied. 

“But I would love such a visit, naturally I shall invite my brother and his wife to attend also. Perhaps we all shall spend a day riding, or shooting grouse while the children play.”

It was on the tail of this conversation with talk of finding the common link between then (Beverly) that a half turn was made and Anne’s hazel eyes (those same of her Father and Brother) came to meet Henry’s. 

Within moments Cadell was forthcoming with introductions.

“Charmed Lord Grey,” Anne smiled with greeting with an incline and offer of hand as was etiquette no more nor less than correct, while her fair expression was even and relaxed. “Then you are not one of my Brothers old University chums, why that in itself is a recommendation milord”

“Shall the Duchess also be attending?” She turned towards Cadell to inquire, before replying to Henry, “Thank you for such a gracious invitation...”

That topic still on the floor, her pause invited further explanation as she really had no idea to what it might mean. The battlements were not the usual evening hangout for gentlewomen, even those of an active disposition as the St Legers.

Chatham & Willoughby

"I have time off for good behaviour, she remains at the estate.” There were times in which Jonathan yearned to confide his wife troubles, to perhaps gain advice or just sympathy even, but while stood here in the hall was not the place. “What you see before you is the country bumpkins fathers sole envoy relaying his happiness to the crown.  You’d never guess what he sent with me as a baptism gift.”

Humour aside, Charles then confirmed the whispers were true. “Ormond, you would tangle into Irish affairs would you? And become Ossory’s keeper I’d wager… have you met him?”

This was all bad news in his books.

Darlene

Thomas the Younger seemed satisfied with the lady's retreat.  He turned and caught up with his family that were contemplating departing the chapel through another door.  With Darlene's retreat, they reconsidered their path and moved back towards the crowd milling about in the aisles.

If Darlene had noticed her surroundings, she would have seen that she passed by Mountjoy and Langdon together.

Anne-Elizabeth

Dorset considered her request.  "You have met the King.  York has no sense of humor when it coms to your skill.  You have met Baptist May.  You could meet some of the King's gentlemen.  Kingston has the best sense of humor, Herbert, Ashburnam, and the others are all good fellows.  There are several dukes about in the chapel.  I don't know which family interests you the most.  Or you could just start bumping into people and see what happens," he laughed.  Anne would see John seemingly upset leaving the chapel.

James and Sedley

"No reason to leave," Sedley replied.  "We will find a way to celebrate Merriweather's life and death." It was mostly a tragedy in both regards, but the Gang would likely drink themselves into oblivion regardless.

"How goes your epic on Pembroke?"  It was a welcome change of topic.

Duncan

"Tomorrow at the Hen's Toe," Arran suggested.  "Noonish."  He was eager to get away from his parents.  Duncan was free to withdraw.

Cordelia

She walked towards Henry Gray, but was correct in that she was surrounded by possibilities.  There were Cavendishes, Howards, Hamiltons, Talbots, Herberts, and many other interesting families.  The Earl of Newport was said to be single, and there were others.

Davina

Henry did, indeed, approach his cousin.  He had waited after mass to approach.  "Cousin," he greeted her in a friendly enough manner.  "Did I offend you in some way?"  He was dressed in a dapper outfit of tan coat with gold embroidery and a golden waistcoat.  "I arrived at our planned rendezvous and you were nowhere to be found."

Others

Baptist May approached the Killigrews and spent a few moments chatting.

John Burgoyne had left the side of the Earl of Oxford and was standing alone at the doorway watching courtiers move about.

Mountjoy and Langdon

It seemed to the Earl that Darlene had told Mountjoy horrible things about him, despite not naming him.  Who knew the limits of her imagination?  He had worded things poorly with her and he refused to marry Catherine.  He thought himself honest in that exchange, but perhaps he should have been less so.  He did not want Darlene to find out about Sedley after the fact and accuse him of being dishonest as well as a ladies man.  

"Lady Oakham is an excitable lady.  She is a lovely person, charming, witty, and a rare sense of adventure.  We have been close for years.  She married my good friend Thomas Hamilton.  We became close after his untimely death.  However, she learned of my relationship with Miss Sedley, who carried my child, and she became distraught.  She insisted I marry Miss Sedley, which I declined, causing her to never wish to speak with me again."

"Perhaps I am the villain in this drama.  Perhaps it is another.  But she will not speak to me or have anything to do with me.  I have attempted to apologize, to no avail.  So, I would be the worst person to seek her out my lord," he tried to explain.

"One thing we gentlemen have learned is that ladies never change their mind, once set" he stated as if some authority on the topic.  Had he not confessed his lack of understanding of the female mystique?  "And so I have moved on, hoping that, with the passage of the years, we might become friendly again.  I wish her nothing but the best in all things.  I hope she can find another to restore her happiness."  He was thinking that Mountjoy, were he single, to be a perfect match for her.  He seemed so wise in the ways of the law, and women.

Chatham & Willoughby

"Better for all concerned that she not travel," Charles agreed, features and tone matching his words in unremarkable amiability, just a man exchanging courtesies with a friend. Only a momentary flash in his eye would reveal how the news pleased him.

He laughed quietly as Johnathan went on.

"Oh? Is it overwhelmingly, tastelessly parvenu, then?" he asked, still chuckling.

The talk turned to his own marital status, and Charles cocked his head to one side as Johnathan reacted to the news.

"I have not met Ossory, no, but I cannot imagine him anything but well-kept already, and so any keeping I must attend to should not consume a great deal of time. Irish entanglements would be something of a greater imposition, yes, but might also offer opportunity, and in any case they do not seem to keep our Irish peers from court, and so I think that they will not detain me, either," he answered, seeking to address what he thought was the root of the other's concerns.

"I need to marry someone," he went on, tone soft, "and Lady Henrietta suits me, I think. She has spirit and intelligence without being a virago, and that matters most to me, I think, in a spouse. I will not marry a woman I know I will grow to despise and torment."

George and Louis

"Thank you Lord Basildon." George returned with ease... "I will admit I these banns are diquieting things, though really, who might possibly interfere." 

Earl Chichester attended service with Lady's Habersham and Despanay, had he been the only one of the three to hold breath as the banns were given their final reading?  No objector had stood forth however, much to his relief.   

Following the service the trio had dispersed to catch up with this one or that.  And was then that George found Louis arrived to greet, and congratulate even. 

"You are looking well, though I dare say you are pining; for your office."  In a good humour George even teased the very politically motivated man.  While the truth was quite plain that it was his wife Lisa who was in fact missing.  "Shall Lady Basildon manage to return from the Seven Provinces in time for next weekends Christening?"

Beyond Louis, George caught glimpse of Davina, should her eyes meet his he would relay a nod and smile.  

Edited by George Hardwick III

Sophia sending a signal to Chatham and approaching Duncan

The part of church Sophia enjoyed most was the hymns. Usually she drowned out the rest of the congregation without even raising her voice, but over the past few months, she had tried to sing softly. God would not want her to use the gift he had given her to make others feel inadequate. Since she had become pregnant, she had become more sensitive to religious matters, though she would never be overly pious. She had a lot to thank the Lord for; she also had a lot to ask of him.

The baby’s movements kept her busy during the sermon. She tried to predict where he would kick her next and kept track of when she was right or wrong … until she lost count. Then she started again. When the service was over, she stood up, finding herself a bit unsteady on her feet from sitting so long. The first person she noticed was Lord Chatham. He was speaking with a gentleman she did not know and she didn’t want to interrupt him. Just in case he glanced in her direction, she reached up and touched one finger to her cheek.

Most of her friends were also engaged in conversation with others. Her eyes lit upon Lord Melville. So he had come to Windsor, after all. Wanting to give him her condolences on the death of his wife, and concerned as to how he was doing, she headed in his direction, hoping he would see her as he parted form the gentleman with whom he had been speaking.

Duncan leaving the Hamiltons and approaching Sophia

“I will see you then, Lord Arran”. With a respectful nod, Duncan left.

It was then that he saw Sophia walking towards him. Even though his sadness was plain to see, a small smile appeared on his lips, and he closed the distance between them. “A pleasure to see you again, Doña Sophia”*, the Lowlander said with a formal bow. “How are you, the coming baby…” that Sophia was pregnant was immediately obvious, “… and Don Estéban?”* The viscount offered the countess his arm; it was only polite, whether she wanted to walk or remain standing.

“I would like to present my respects to your Lord Husband the ambassador. Is he here?” The Count of Toledo, as a Grandee of Spain, was most probably Catholic, yet due to their duties diplomats had to do things they would not do otherwise, like attending another faith’s services.

OOC: Spain made it easy on forms of oral address. Don <first name> and Doña <first name> are proper forms from a Grandee Duke or Duchess down to a non-Grandee Lord or Lady. Written forms are much more convoluted, though.

Francis and Cat

"I will remember that next time," Cat promised.  She was going to do her best to have some fun...once all the stress had decreased.  But back to the serious issue.  

"It was hard enough to carry a baby for 9 months on my back.  Tossing the Earl is beyond me."  She shook her head with the hint of a smile playing around her lips.  But, back to serious.  "I suppose since I rarely speak with His Grace, and that is a poor showing on my part, obviously," she admitted, "that he might think that there would be little connection."

Cat imagined having to speak with Major Whitehurst now, so her expression turned a bit sour.  "Does this work?," she asked as one brow rose in a more condescending expression.  "Feels weird to scowl at you, but those stints upon the small private stages in the Palace hopefully have paid off.  I'm no Nell."  She was all for both of them gaining from this.  "Which one would be considered your biggest rival?  That would be the best one to chose and make it seem there might be some strife."

Once again, one of the reasons Francis was such a dear friend showed itself with him arranging for this meeting.  "Governess officially, godsend unofficially, Agnes will be with us when Nessie and I arrive.  And likely a sweets laden basket.  Alright, we'll talk after and figure out a strategy.  Now, shall I roll my eyes and stalk away?"

"Very good," Francis said, holding in his chuckle. "And I shall be very straight-faced, because I'm not allowed to scowl at you or next Lord Arlington will have a chat with me over being rude to the mother of His Majesty's daughter." 

As to rivals, Francis fought off the shrug with his shoulders, but his lips did it for him. "Neither, they are both cousins, not that I know either particularly well, but all of we younger ones that aren't the head of some impressive family generally cross paths often in service. Ashburnham has been with the King some long time and was Page of the Backstairs as a boy. He still is, really, because he's never been given a new position, but our royal master is exceedingly fond of him." He gave her a meaningful look. Surely she had heard the rumors that John was one of the King's children. 

"Scowl and huff, sounds like a plan, and if you can work in calling me an upstart and commenting on why the King keeps me around with the rumors, do so...but only if he says something about me first. You don't want to see too overly eager or he might be suspicious. And now I shall play my part and bow all prettily so you can stalk away."

Which he did. Only once she'd turned did he straighten and heave an exhale like it was an unenjoyable discussion. Pursing his lips, he turned and looked around for a friend or someone else to talk to.

Beverley & Wifey joining the others

Beverley and his lady wife had been by the others of the Queen's ladies, for his master did not keep a large household of retainers but more preferred efficiency and privacy. He made mention of Lord Grey's missive and gifts earlier that morning before the service so that Cumberland would be more likely to read it timely. 

He was thus left free to go about his other duties and social life for the rest of God's day. 

Seeing his sister's blonde hair glistening in the sunlight coming intermittently through the windows, he said to his wife, "Annie has arrived! Let us go greet her." As they got closer he added, "Oh and with Athenry too." And further surprises. "That is the Lord Grey I mentioned the other evening."

The came up to the grouping, and Beverley smiled at his sister and leaned in to give her a soft kiss on the cheek. 

"Dear sister," he greeted. "I am glad you've arrived well." He then added, "Good morning, gentlemen. Lord Grey, this is my lady wife."

Louis and George

Basildon laughed at the other earl's jests.  "And you seem remarkably calm for a man about to tie the knot.  You should be nervous enough that some friends could invite you to a bit of a party at the White to celebrate Monday night.  What say you?"

He was certain Caroline would not care.  She was hardly a blushing maiden.  "It will be a good match," he assured Chichester.  This was only because Nicci and Caroline were good friends, and he liked the French widow.  Otherwise, he would have advised the Earl to shoot higher.  There were loftier matches available.  It was too late for such advice.

"My lady wife is late returning from the United Provinces.  I am expecting that she will bear a gift from Mary for her uncle and her new cousin.  The Channel has had storms." 

Mountjoy and Langdon

He was expecting a reply from Lord Langdon but this was not it. It was not what he was expecting at all. He blinked. He blinked again. Blinking in no way cleared up the situation. He cleared his throat, which by the way also had no effect in clarifying the situation. He was befuddled. Major Langdon was an officer and a gentleman and one of the last persons he would have thought capable of treating a Lady so disrespectfully.

“You declined to marry Miss Sedley despite fathering her child?” he said in disbelief not only by his callous treatment of Darlene but apparently also of Miss Sedley. It was a rhetorical question and e did not expect a reply. “I am astounded Sir.”

It was true Darlene could be an excitable lady but she was a Lady nevertheless and Langdon appeared to not to even have the grace to be ashamed of his conduct. However Charles was not a relative of Darlene and thus had no standing to challenge Whitehurst.

“I appear to have made a grave mistake. I would never have approached you if I had known of your involvement in this matter for I can claim no familial right. I had thought you would be able to offer assistance to the Lady but see now that such is impossible.” He swallowed. “And for that I offer my apology for my lack of judgement in approaching you so.” He stepped back and bowed formally. “I shall inopportune you no further.”

Mountjoy could accept that Darlene could have exaggerated the hurt done to her but he had thought better of Langdon. Still, it was impolite of him to have spoken so to the man’s face and Mountjoy was gentlemanly enough to accept and apologize if he was in the wrong.   

James and Sedley

“Grand, sir, very grand,” James acquiesced when Sedley reassured him that his presence was not unwelcome, deliberately thickening his accent to give those words a playful quality. Then, the poet was to offer his respects the best he could for a man who he neither knew nor had been given a greatly favorable impression of, uttering, “May your friend be judged kindly at Heaven’s gate, or at least find a favorable place in Purgatory.”

“If I remember my Dante correctly, ‘tis an afterlife filled most intensively with being preached at and being put to ceaseless tasks, no?” A slight, somewhat uncomfortable chuckle, James having awoken with a modicum of self-awareness. “The part about the lustful running through flames stuck out at me. A strange book, that.””

But another, more pleasant epic was brought up, and James could not help but break into a grin, running his hand through his hair to placate any unease. “I know the task is to impress Rochester, but I have also chosen to challenge myself.” He glanced around the chapel before turning back to Sedley. “Since I cannot fathom that one like Pembroke has any true awareness of his actions, I have chosen to write, in heroic couplet, a tale of a hero named Lord Bellavista* who is convinced that he slays great monsters on behalf of the Marquis d’Onore*. Alas, though, madness has taken hold – the ogres he slays and bandits he deters are but fictions of his imagination.”

“I have not yet worked out if they should be representative of his known foes or not.” He did not want to be overly unkind to Dorset, although some satire might do. “But I do know that our Nemean lion is more of a pussycat, as it happens.” The entendre was nearly triplicate, having both the known slang meaning*, referencing Italian folklore, and the somewhat lion-like appearance those with Villiers blood had.

*A name used for the commedia dell’arte character Il Capitano, the name being ironic

*Honor

*Only marking this for the interesting fact I learned that this has been innuendo since within our fudge rule!

The Saint-Legers and Friends(?)

“If the cavalry arrived, I would recommend their leader for His Majesty’s highest commendations,” Cadell responded in kind.Although, of course, Cadell (being more Beverley’s friend, as acknowledged) was not privy to Lady Doneraile having to puzzle out his intentions with regards to Louise and little Richmond, and giving the former a purpose. Naturally, he agreed at once. “An excellent idea, my lady.”

Not that the viscount had said as much to anyone, nor possessed an ounce of certainty when it came to bringing cheer to the fairer sex or contending with the histrionics inherent to them, but something needed to be done for the sake of both spouses. Winds of change were needed to push away the rain cloud that hung over their Chelsea manor.

Grey was quick (perhaps exceedingly so, but he may have simply been a forthright man in general) to hop on the introductions and mention his stargazing endeavors, extending an invitation. Athenry kept that to himself, however, observing how the conversation between Lady Doneraile and Grey (an unknown quantity) developed until he was also called upon,. “You will need to forgive me, Lord Grey,” he said, mixing the rueful tone and polite smile of a courtier’s apology. “But I’ve not made mention of the outing to my better half.” More optimistically, he turned back to Beverley’s sister and explained, “However, I do not foresee a scenario in which she would not attend. Her Grace has patronized astonomers in the past.”

When she had the king’s ear.

Grey was self-effacing, and in return the viscount chuckled. He liked the baron quite well, but had known the man for but a few days – and so he chose to observe how the man comported himself among his friends (and their sisters, an even touchier subject for most men). Beverley, fortunately, arrived to break the pleasantries, and Cadell smiled warmly at the newcomers.

“A blessed Sunday to you, my lord and lady. You both look well,” he greeted, wondering if Beverley realized how uncomfortable he was at this service. “Your lady sister and I appear to have both had a notion to find you, and Lord Grey materialized along the way.” His grey gaze swept back to Beverley. “But if we’re intruding on a family matter, I’m certain our astronomer friend and I might find diversion elsewhere...?”

Mountjoy and Langdon

It seemed that the Marquess caught some dust in his eye.  He kept blinking inexplicably.  The Earl was about to offer his kerchief, but expected that Blount had a ready supply.

The man seemed astonished that Charles had not agreed to marry Catherine.  He was of a like mind with Darlene.  How curious.  To Whitehurst, Catherine was a royal whore who had fathered a child with York, was a libertine and had no expectations of marriage.  Never once had she raised it, knowing that they had instead conspired to get her back in good standing with York, having some sport along the way.  He had been in blissful ignorance that other gentlemen would think it his duty to marry her.  Would not Colonel Trentmont have said something?  He gave Mountjoy a curious look as he withdrew, not venturing to answer his question.  It did not seem to need an answer.

That reminded him that he needed to speak with Lady Pembroke.  A manufactured smile appeared on his face as he turned back to Susan's mother and beg an audience.  He needed to speak with Susan about these topics and hoped that Lady Pembroke would not verbally assault him as a prelude.

Duncan and Sophia

Even consumed by sorrow, Lord Melville smiled at her. It was a sad smile, though, and her heart went out to him. Grief, as Sophia knew well, was all-consuming, especially in the early days after the loss of a loved one. Maybe he had found a bit of comfort in church and among his many friends.

He was putting on a brave front as he greeted her, acting as if nothing was amiss. “It is lovely to see you again too, Lord Melville.” He always addressed her in the Spanish fashion, which she had become accustomed to in Madrid. She took the arm he offered her, ready to walk with him if he wished.

“We are all doing well.” She placed her free hand on her growing belly. “I think this little one is impatient to see the world. My lord husband did not come with me. He is Catholic and has a Spanish priest to minister to him and his employees. I will give him your regards. He will be pleased that you are back.”

She gently squeezed his arm. “Ellen Doolittle and I had tea together yesterday and she told me about Ophelia. I am very sorry that you lost your beloved wife and that your daughter will never know her mother. My mother passed away when I was three. As little Ellen grows older, if she would like to talk to somebody who understands what she is going through, you can call on me anytime. And if there is anything I can do for you, just let me know.”

Anne-Elisabeth leaving Dorset and bumping into a gentleman

Anne-Elisabeth had known that Dorset would have some good ideas.  Either he didn’t know any scientists and investors, or they were all commoners and still in London. The latter made more sense than the former. Her handsome lover seemed to know everybody.

She did not want to approach Baptist May. Though she wished to know if he was still keeping his end of the bargain, she was wary of what he might ask of her in return. It would be advantageous to find others who would sing her praises as well.

“Maybe I should try charming one of the King’s gentlemen. If he speaks well of me to His Majesty, then I am one step closer to a place in his entourage. I have already met your cousin Lord Kingston.” The first time had been at the sleigh race. He had suggested combining his orange brandy with her coconut rum. They had also both been present at Nicci’s party in the wine cellar, along with the King.

She glanced around the room, spotting a few of the gentlemen she had thought she had seen sitting with the King. “I think I shall pick one at random. Wish me luck.”

With a playful wink, she left Dorset and approached a gentleman whom she believed served the King. Taking a pineapple-shaped pomander out of her pocket, she pretended to stumble, dropping it at his feet. “Oh how clumsy of me!” she exclaimed. “Please forgive me, my lord.”

(OOC: The person she bumps into is open to PCs and NPCs. He might not even be one of the King’s gentlemen.)

Edited by Anne-Elisabeth Devereux

Langdon & the Captain

Captain Herbert had no idea that Lord Langdon was looking for his mother at Chapel, for he had specified after, as in their apartment, in private, not in a place where all could see. It would not do for court to begin gossiping, and they did not wish word to get back to his brother somehow.

Having switched rotations with Ashburnham over their last conversation, he was due to attend the King following Kingston. 

Seeing Langdon lingering about, he took an opportunity whilst the King was speaking to someone to come up to him with a bow.

He said quietly, "You will find my lady mother and sister waiting for you in their apartment, my lord, that you might have your private discussion. I will not be attending as I had to switch my days with the King, so I am now obligated elsewhere."

(OOC - start a separate thread, bc I am not good at these big group threads with NPCs ;) )

Langdon and the Captain

It seemed as if Lady Pembroke had left while he was under the scrutiny of the Solicitor General.  Captain Herbert arrived in timely fashion to inform the Earl that it was to be a private meeting in the Herbert apartment.  That was a relief.  Unlike the Herberts, he did not fear the public seeing that he was conversing with Lady Pembroke and Lady Susan and drawing the natural conclusion.  Yet, he understood the caution.

"Thank you Captain," he replied politely.  "I will visit them shortly."  It would not do to look too hurried.  He asked directions to Lady Herbert's apartment, as he was not familiar with it.  In a light tone he asked "any words of advice for me in addressing your mother?"  It was not like he felt he needed much aid, but perhaps there were topics he should avoid with her, or other cautions.

James and Sedley

"I think our departed friend would enjoy purgatory better, depending on the location therein," the playwright replied.  "Oddly, the man's nearest relative is a niece, who seems sweet and pious.  Kismet loves contrast, eh?"

On the topic of the epic, Charles found himself nodding.  "One can only wonder about the fate of a man who chases illusion," he added.  "If the ending were humorous enough, perhaps it would translate well into a play. as might the topic of the epic you sent me."  He looked for evidence of intrigue in the Irishman's eyes. 

Others

the Earl of Oxford left the company of Prince Rupert and reunited with his aide, John Burgoyne.  The two of them moved down the aisle to meet with the Killigrews.  Oxford was something of a matchmaker and knew that Anne Killigrew would be an excellent match for his aide. He had spoken to her father, who was amenable.  Burgoyne had fallen for one court beauty.  Would he be ready for another?

Baptist May was enjoying the show.  He had seen Arlington approach Lady Alyth and then Kingston.  He had seen the confrontation between Lady Oakham and the Killigrews. The attention to the Scottish duke was entertaining, and he waited to see who would swoop in on Shrewsbury, who seemed at a loss as to where to go next.