JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

The Chichester Wedding | Tuesday 20th, 3pm

George Hardwick III

The Beverlys & Mountjoys

Arriving at the oysters Ursula expressed apprehension of consuming them standing. “We may certainly grab a plate and remove to a table. The ancient Romans were wont to dine in a recumbent position but the groom, although lavish in his provisions and quite extravagant in his hospitality, did not appear to make allowances for ancient Romans so we would need to make due with a table and chair.” He helped himself to a promising specimen and putting the shell to his mouth swallowed the oyster whole.

“Why no, Lady Beverly, I have never hunted shellfish.” Noticing Mary’s hesitation, he placed a fork upon a plate and presented it to the Viscountess in a gentlemanly fasion. “I enjoy most outdoor sports but I have never been enamored with fishing in general. I find sea creatures rather unsportsmanlike, hiding in the water where you cannot even shoot them. Whales are sporting enough for they will allow you to harpoon them but most aquatic creatures are not so obliging and you are unable to flush them out with like dogs are able to do with ducks.” Turning to Beverly he added. “I of course am only expressing my own opinion and pass no condemnations in case you enjoy the pastime yourself.”

When Ursula excused herself Charles replied with a smile for although he enjoyed her company he recognized that she had her own motivations and social obligations so was free to move about as she pleased without any slight to him on her part. He did notice that it was Catriona that claimed Ursula’s attention which was something to be remarked upon for Catriona’s position at court was complicated for the Queen and her ladies. Nevertheless, Catriona was a dear old friend of Charles so he was encouraged by the gesture. “Do give Lady Alyth my regards my dear.” He said as she moved off.

Turning back to the Beverlies. “Alas our social cart has upset and lost a wheel.” Referencing his wife’s departure. “I shall do my utmost to make up for the loss of the Margravina’s company. Your husband, Lord Beverly…” He gestured to the man by her side in case there was any confusion. “…has the reputation, quite deservedly so I may add, as an exuberant and accomplished horseman. Are you of a like disposition or have you other interests?”    

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Chichesters and Sophia

"Then I shall do that." George agreed, though with mixed feelings about having to wait 20 minutes for a song.  

His nerves were not fully done for the day, and he had strange sort of hankering to get it done early.  Not the sexing particularly, even if his new wife was inclined towards that today (it was fabled that married women liked such things far less than those unmarried) , but just calling the wedding celebration and completed. Putting a nice check in that box on his to-do list, and then to proceed with the season in general. 

And so he heard himself suggesting, “...although, now would be good too? 

The Beverlys & Mountjoys

"Why thank you." Mary took the offered dish with glistening specimen upon it, fork now helpfully supplied by the aid of Mountjoy.  However the marquis did not eat it that way, rather, was far more primitive.  (Possibly due to his reminisce of the good old Roman times?)

"I don’t think I need this after all." Mary smiled setting the silver aside, and picking up the oyster in shell she tipped back her head and gulped with gusto. 

After a slight miscalculation in the swallowing, one which she limited to a single cough accompanied by watering of eyes, she laughed it off cheerfully to the gents, "Why it's a little like drowning, though I dare say it gets easier with practise."

She was a brave sort actually.

Lady Mountjoy had meanwhile left their grouping, with a nod to husband that she'd relay his compliments.

"Oh yes, I love to go riding with my husband. You shall find us at it most about every chance we can get."   she replied happily, "And yourself milord, does Lady Mountjoy likewise share your riding enthusiasm?

Francis and Dorothea

"There are far more important things than winning a race where one's competition is royalty," Francis replied, with a smile. "I am happy the prospect of my losing spectacularly pleases you," he added, teasingly.

With a chuckle, he added, "If it increases the prospects your brother shall allow you to stay, I am happy. I understand that he is protective of you."

Francis expected no less, especially from a German who was used to a life far less hedonistic than the one HIs Majesty preferred.

As to Tom potentially returning with Dorothea's brother to gain experience and perspective in a foreign court and land, Francis nodded. "I would miss him, yes. We have been together in close quarters for some long time. I am not sure how he would feel about the idea, but he is of an age where his education and life requires it...or something like it. So you think that you brother might consider it?"

Francis snickered at the idea of a joke buried in there. "He could hardly be a hostage if I sent him willingly, and perhaps it is I who thinks strategically to future business negotiations." He may have entirely misunderstood what future negotiations she might have been alluding to, because he still thought himself too far beneath her as a prospect. Not to mention he had given his word to stay on the proper side of such things to protect her reputation and future. "Perhaps your brother would wish me to design him and build him a yacht like mine, a possibility I am sure my cousin would not allow him to forget if he develops a taste for yacht racing."

"What else did your brother tell you of our excursions the other morning?" he asked.

The Archbishop

Things were going along at quite a pace and he had to take a moment to sit back and try to digest. Enough food and drink to be sure but things must be enjoyed in moderation.

He gazed out over the assembled Company eyes resting on no one in particular until the came upon a woman obviously heavy with child. She was, so it appeared, friendly with the newly married couple. He looked about to see where the husband might be but saw no Gentleman that was near enough to be thought as that. Surely she was not here unattended ? He did not even see a maid which he thinks should be hovering in case of, well anything, really.

He was not one of those 'progressive' thinking men who saw nothing strange in allowing their wife to parade herself about in Public in her current condition. She should be at home or at best seated apart from all the other guests and in some place where she would not like to be seen yet still enjoy the occasion. Honestly he had not thought Chichester to be the sort of man that thought it acceptable .....

A belch came suddenly and he gave a small nod in approval of that bodily function that would now allow him to further indulge in the next delicacy to be presented. 

Buckingham and Nicci

"Very prettily," Buckingham said with an honest chuckle. "Methinks Francis has been speaking to you of my thoughts on doing things prettily. Very well, very well. I do not fault it." 

In fact, to the vain duke, it merely meant that the message was sinking in deeply. 

"Would that you were here in the heat of the aftermath when even Charles informed me my despondence was infuriating and insulting. Such a salve might have saved many a row." He smiled and gave a nod at the idea.

"Ah, but their senses were merely society's senses, of such things I have oft quarreled. In another life, without the murder of the martyred king and subsequent exile...but c'est la vie, I hope others happiness and worth in their marriages, for such is a rare state."

Perhaps that was another reason why he took such interest in Francis' interest beside him. What one could not accomplish in one's own life, one oft looked to live - vicariously - through the next generation. 

Buckingham said in a whisper to Nicci's ear (for they were sitting only beside the couple), "A man may have many types in the ladies with which he keeps company through his life, but this I believe to be the steadfast type and the girl does have quite the mind...perhaps even some boldness wishing to come out. She could make an influential and companionable wife, but you are right to pray that the precedent not hold in this case, for relation of mine or no, earl or no, a son of any plain man is not a fit match for a German princess." His secret card was that Kingston was not the son of any plain man, and he would play it at the appropriate moment. Nephew of the Duke of Buckingham was a vast deal more possible.

"You wonder!" he held in a bark of laughter, for he did not wish to draw attention and instead let out some stifled air as his chest bounced with the effort. "You know quite well that I save the cub from none of my advices, dishing them out with the frequency of expecting him to be a glutton of them!"

He spared a side-eyed glance to the pair before looking back to Nicci and continuing the quiet conspiracy.

"That he must behave impeccably...honourably...and prettily..." he snickered with amusement at bringing the conversation full circle. "The epitome of a nobleman." He paused and then added, "And that I shall attempt to do what I might to support him as my closest relation, as any family patriarch and patron would do." Which, if Nicci was as well-versed on courtiers as many women, she would know that Francis as a first cousin twice removed, was not his closest relation - or at least that there were several that were just as closely related.

"And what would you say, Mademoiselle?"

Francis and Dorothea

"Being spectacular upon either extreme suit you far better than mediocrity." grinning, Dorothea replied, "In fact, should you want to show your devotion to... my brother, I would suggests giving the token of last place would be greatly treasured. To his heart." She was not thinking of Fredericks heart at all of course, but knew she could not speak of her own!  (Though of course her Brother would enjoy beating Francis at least.) 

"It would be his 'European tour' do you think?" She nodded, understanding that for men at least it was important for them to go many places to fully compliment their academic learning.  "I am sure he would benefit, from my own experience at least, I can say that learning of another culture broadens the mind, and further develops the muscle of toleration. You must agree, do you not, that I am quite changed from when you first met me for instance.  Why, I would say now that if I relived the meeting of the Whitehurst chap, I would be far less distressed of it." 

She gave a small smile, "Yes my brother told me how you recounted out first meeting."

"We should probably wait until after the race." she supposed, "then my Brothers opinion upon yachts and first mates will be fully formed." 

"Do you design yachts too Lord Kingston? I remember your speaking about underwater ships, but didn’t realise you did both above and below the waterline."

She was not interested in either type of vessel, but would be more than happy to hear him speak about them. 

Buckingham and Nicci

"I am caught out, Francis and I do indeed talk about you, and often.  But you must have known this already.  It is hardly like we would wax on very long about such types as Dryden or Pepys; although I am not averse to poetry, and attending the finest dinner tables is laudable.”

She could have eased rows between the Duke and the King?  Why was it that his saying so made her wonder who’s bed he was imaging her soothing powers within?

She really ought to quell this crush she had on Buckingham, she could see not future in it, and she had a clear vision of what she ultimately wanted.  Most days though, she barely thought about Ranelagh and his Mansion conveniently-close to the Physic Garden.

"I wonder out loud of many things, ” She teased back.  Yes she knew Francis was frequently instructed!  “for if thoughts, even certainties, are kept secret there is barely any usefulness to them.”

"I shall tell you another certainty then, one that I raise with intention to keep you too wondering; that my favorite sport is to goad you. There is scant I find more enjoyable than hearing you laugh, however Un-libertine it is to make such an innocent claim.  Come come! Laugh again my Duke!”

“But I have grown tired of discussing Francis, he seems to doing admirably enough on his own.”

“If you allow me to introduce another, and quite serious topic; may I raise the diligence of my cousin?  You must have seen his swags of scandal sheets burnt at the bonfire? He did not do so for the disgraced, though they are on good terms I am sure. Do you know perhaps, if his message was received?”

Nicci sighed a little dramatically, and paused to look around the gathering. Louis was here somewhere, though as was his social-events method, he was not central.  

The Chichesters and Sophia

It seemed as if Lord Chichester didn’t want to wait until after she ate. Sophia didn’t really mind. She had sung while hungry before and she could indulge herself afterward without having to worry about belching while performing.

Maybe he was hoping that the reception would be over in twenty minutes so that he could be alone with his new wife. Caroline was so lucky to have married someone who truly cared about her.

“Now is fine with me,” she replied with a smile.

Actually, while she did not voice it, Caroline was of the same mind as her husband. Why wait twenty minutes? If Sophia wanted to sing (and of course Sophia always wanted to sing!) then let her do it forthwith.

Fortunately her good friend was indeed willing to do so.

"Oh thank you, Sophia. We appreciate it. One little favor though, nothing sad.......make the song light and happy, like our moods. After all this is a celebratory feast not a funeral,"  Caroline added.

"George, perhaps tap your glass to get everyone's attention then an introduction?" she turned to her husband.

Edited by Caroline Despanay

George was not thinking of ending the celebration (wedding receptions tended to carry on for hours after the bride and groom had left), but he was not the socialite sort and found his role exhausting (his cheeks ached from constantly smiling.)

He was well ready for his life to settle down into something quiet once more!

"I would greatly appreciate the change of focus." He added to Caroline's words to Sophia.

Eyebrows then rose at Caroline's instruction, and smiling yet again he took up an empty glass, standing, tapping it to draw his guests' attention.

Once he was sure everyone was looking (except Buckingham, he could keep talking if he wanted to!) George drew a breath and said;

"Lady Toledo, the fairest songbird English Court has ever heard, is gifting us a piece.  I request everyone's silence for this wonderful treat." 

Louis found the brandy to be passable.  Having observed the goings on with Buckingham and Nicolette for a time, he decided to congratulate the bride and groom.  He strode in their direction.  Just as he was to greet the couple, George called for silence.  Sophia was easy on the eyes, even with her large belly, so he paused to watch the performance.

• 2 weeks later...

Francis & Dorothea

"I dare to say that no man wishes another to lose on purpose or gain anything by deceit, for that spoils the victory, but as things stand, I am at quite the disadvantage when compared with all my opponents. Your brother shall think quite well of the outcome of the day, I believe," he said with a chuckle and a smile.

"A European tour! My, but that makes him sound quite grand. No doubt he would like the idea having spent some time in the house of a duke such as Buckingham. He would be blessed to gain such a thing."

Francis was reminded again of their first encounter and how she had been. It had surely been an evolutionary journey. A journey of discovery for the young German.

"You have journeyed into yourself, free to delve into your own identity, from my observation. Woe be to that poor boy if that incident were to re-run. Perhaps you would have told him off and have no need of me. Or any gentleman for protection and safe harbour."

He blushed some as she said that her brother had spoken of his recounting. In a whisper, he replied, "Guilty. I should not have, perhaps, but I wished to inspire him to see beyond his suppositions. To see your capability. And that His Majesty's court has gentlemen who have a care over lady's honor."

Truly, Francis wished to inspire the German prince to see the reasons why his sister should be allowed to stay longer if she so wished. That it might be the better choice as she had a grand life where she did not need to be second to the prince's wife.

"The underwater vessel was just something of interest to the King. He wished me to replicate the design in something large enough, rather than a small model, but I did not do the design. It is something which I have done and was going to show him this season, so you mustn't tell anyone. I have played about with designing usual ships for some while."

Buckingham and Nicci

"Ahhh, you raise the case that he is a Villiers and can stand on his own admirably well, my dear," Buckingham tittered. "Or are you calling me an interfering...relation like those old matrons who try to intervene in the love-lives of young ladies!" This made him titter more even though he had to catch himself from saying interfering uncle, giving an uncharacteristic hiccup of a pause.

She then changed the subject, wishing to shift from Francis. He then laughed when she raised a topic that also had to do with Francis. Her cousin scooping up a heft of scandal sheets and bringing them to the bonfire.

"Need you truly ask?" he shook a finger teasingly. "The Duke of Buckingham does not miss or forget such gestures. I should say the message was received and that it was much appreciated."

He leaned comfortably in his chair and said mischievously, "Do you wish your cousin to usurp you in our affections?" He had told her previously that she had done much to smooth Basildon's position with both he and His Majesty post-Danby. "Ladies usually prefer to keep the power of their influences," he teased.

Sophia leaves the Chichesters and sings

“I would never sing anything sad at a wedding,” she assured Caroline. “Especially not yours. I suppose if someone I loathed asked me to sing …” Her sentence ended in a lyrical chuckle.

Lord Chichester tapped his glass and when he had most of his guests’ attention, he introduced her in such glowing terms that a pretty shade of rose blossomed across Sophia’s cheeks. She moved to the center of the reception and began to sing one one of her favorite Italian love song. None of the English songs she knew came close to the aptness of her chosen aria and trying to translate it into English had been a disaster she didn’t plan on repeating.

Her exquisite soprano spun and leapt and twirled, soaring through the air with unadulterated elation as she assumed the character of a young woman exalting over her love for her sweetheart and dreaming of a happy future with him. Emotion poured through her heart and soul, giving each flawless note s a compelling and poignant beauty, Her voice had a new soft and sweet quality, as if influenced by the little one growing inside her.

Yet her pregnancy also had a disagreeable affect on her. Sophia was halfway through the third verse when she began to tire. The baby was pounding her relentlessly and it was becoming difficult to draw enough breath to sustain her voice. She had thought she would be fine as she’d never had any trouble while practicing each morning. A performance was much more demanding and it was taking a toll on her.

She continued on as if nothing was wrong, Her voice remained steady even as her face grew pale. I can do this, she thought. I will not let my difficulties ruin my friends’ wedding. The petite Countess felt a bit lightheaded and braced one hand against the nearest table as if it was part of her performance. Every breath she drew was painful, but her voice did not falter.

Finally the aria neared its end. Taking one last deep and labored breath, she delivered the final and highest note of the aria with her usual enthralling finesse, unaware that her voice was shaking a bit. Sophia felt as if she was about to faint and wasn’t sure if she would be able to make it to the nearest chair.

Edited by Sophia de la Cerda

Buckingham and Nicci

“Oh yes, because you behave so much like Cordelia  Lucas I might get the pair of you mixed up.” Nicci rolled her eyes at the Duke’s silliness.

“Besides, I have not heard you recommend much of the institution of marriage; but rather affection and friendship are the trump cards in Your Grace's deck.”  For a moment she was reflecting on her own possibly greater relationship with him.  He was already married of course. But she never ever heard him talk of his wife.

“While it is different for Him.” Her eyes slid back to Francis…

And then there was a tinkling of a glass, and Lady Toledo, even so heavy with child, was getting ready to sing.  “She is unstoppable isn’t she?” Nicci whispered.

Attending to the singer was a pause that the French miss needed, for Buckingham had made a good point.  Why would she want to share him? What if Louis came to be closer to the Duke than herself? Would either man even need her anymore?  She had failed to think this through.

Looking about she spotted Louis, and he saw her, and she knew his thoughts, but looked away.

It was a pretty song after all.  

Clapping her hands as Sophia finished, happy to overlook the woman's breathlessness (pregnancy had an impact upon her diaphragm), it seemed like the lady barely survived the experience. 

“Bravo, bravo!” Nicci called a rewarding cry to the exhausted woman, before turning to quietly comment to the Duke, “Some need to learn through experience.” She was sure Sophia had been told not to over-exert herself, but there you go.  

Flashing a smile she asked, “I would like to furnish a formal retraction, upon the grounds of reconsideration. You are completely correct in that I have no desire to share you, in which case I recommend that you set my cousin further challenges.  He does need the exercise after all.” And she laughed musically.  

Francis & Dorothea

It was not a promise, but rather a high likelihood that warmed Dorothea's smile at that point.  “It shall be an exciting day.”

In talk of a ‘European tour’, Francis was amused at the lofty term.  “Your Duke does enjoy his opulence-es, if that is even a word.” She nodded, eyes sliding back to His Grace, who enjoyed life with a certain air about him.

“Rest assured Brandenburg will not spoil him, for Germany highly regards discipline. I think this could only be a good thing.”

Recollecting their first meeting, she puffed a laugh at Francis's imagining.  “We did not find out who had told him those incorrect words.”

“You need not apologise; I am confident that you did not misrepresent.  It was not court overall, however, was it, it was you who rose to an occasion.  If you had not been there, I might easily have decided England was not the place for me and returned home.  Though, I hope Karoline might have protested.  Imagine.” Her eyes then flared at a thought. “Better that it was you to correct the Whitehurst boy, than Her Majesty.”

"I shall not say a word.” Dorothea’s shoulders sunk with the promise.  Perhaps Francis did not fully realise the nature of the community she lived within, where gossip and chatter were 9/10th of the day.  Asking her to keep such an interesting thing a secret, was tough.  ”Is there some other, smaller thing I might share?”

But then Sophia was singing, or attempting to, she seemed to be struggling!  

"Lord Kingston, ought we assist her?"  Dorothea shifted, ready to stand, while she frowned at the Groom, who should have known better. 

George cuts the singing short and Calls Toledo to the rescue! 

Good good, George thought as Sophia got her song singing out of the way. 

The afternoon was really dragging.  Worse, the Archbishop was making noises, and George had a hunch that he was going to head his way soon with far from riveting conversation. 

Midway through her song, he heard Sophia's voice quaver, and he could see she was struggling.   Leaning towards his bride, he murmured, "This was a mistake." his eyes were darkly serious, and his tone edged with alarm.  He looked about, wondering where on earth was Sophia's husband?!  Or should he be the one to step in now and bring it to a stop? 

"Thunderation." he hissed under his breath, and if Caroline heard it, it would be the first time she'd heard him swearing.

Looking about, nobody else seemed to be doing anything about it. 

So George stood, and boldly interrupted! 

"My Lady Toledo, it is enough." he spoke to her kindly before turning to the rest of the guests and explaining, "Our dear friend's intentions are, in this case, beyond her ability." 

Then addresseing Sophia directly he added, "I am sure we are all happy to hear the rest of your song well and truly after your special delivery. Lord above knows that I would never forgive myself were I to prompt your early labour." 

George then called, "Lord Toledo?!" beckoning his friend over, "I think a rest is needed." 

Count Toledo was against anything that overtaxed his pregnant wife, but the lady was headstrong and too often played on his indulgences to do ill-advised activities..  He heard his wife's voice quaver, but he did not wish to embarrass her with an interruption.  Rather, he waited until she showed weakness and then rushed to reposition a chair for her safety.

"This was a mistake," he told his wife in Spanish.  His eyes had the same dark seriousness as the groom.  He snapped his fingers at a nearby servant, who rushed with a glass of mulled wine reserved for ladies.  Taking the glass, he lifted it to Sophia's lips.  "Catch your breath and then we will make our excuses."

It was not lost on Louis that Nicci looked his way briefly while speaking with Buckingham.  What mischief was she loosing?

Sophia attracted his interest as she began to sing.  She was still a lovely thing to look upon, even with the giant belly.  He found it curious that someone would ask her to sing, let alone Sophia attempt it.  What if it forced her into labor?

Italian songs were nice, but a French or English ditty might have been shorter and good for a laugh.  Lady Toledo nearly collapsed, but it was not his place to go to her rescue.  Had it been Nicci, that would be different.

Louis moved up beside George and Caroline. "Congratulations Lord and Lady Chichester.  You put on such an opulent spread that it seems people are fainting over it," he offered in good spirits.  

Relieved that Esteban moved in to tend to his exhausted wife, George found Louis's approach and good cheer most welcome.

"Not everyone knows how to handle a drink as well as my blushing bride." he teased Caroline in his reply (although he did not think Sophia had been drinking heavily).  

"Did you get a sixpence?" he asked Louis, regarding earlier decorations and show of wealth, he followed with a friendly poke, "I heard at your wedding you had pennies." 

Beverleys and Mountjoy

Now that they were before the oysters, Beverley was not entirely sure he wished to consume them. His stomach was a sensitive thing, and he did not wish any embarrassments around company.

"I think I prefer the sort cooked and topped with breadcrumbs and parmesan," he said. "But do not let me stop you from partaking."

For his own part of stalking seafood, he opted for the roasted, honey glazed eels. They had a pleasing smokey smell.

"Yes, let us opt for a table," he agreed.

As they made their way to sit, Lady Sophia prepared to sing.

He gave a look to Mountjoy as if to wonder if the other gentleman was as flabbergasted as he was that a lady in such a state would exert herself in public. 

As they sat and the song began it became apparent to all that his state of flabbergastation had been correct. He feared the lady would pass out, plump with babe, from over-exertion. His mind panicked for a moment, wondering what would happen if she went into labor right then and there. He preferred some feminine mysteries to remain mysterious.

However, Lord Toledo jumped up to his lady wife.

Beverley looked at his lady wife and Lord Mountjoy awkwardly. Then he whispered to both, "That was very ill-advised I think..."

Caroline listened as Sophia began her performance, that woman certainly like to show off her voice and a pair of other assets too. No doubt some were shocked that the German born woman would even dare to stand up and entertain publicly in her delicate condition.  Caroline figured it had been Sophia's call, she saw nothing wrong with it.

Soon enough she had reason to rue that thought. Sophia was in distress, having trouble even finishing the song! Neither woman had counted on that happening, obviously. Sitting uncomfortably then before Caroline could even arise to intervene others moved first. George even took charge and called a halt to the performance. Well, this was a bit embarrassing and distressing. Hopefully Sophia was not going to give.........no, not that.

Her Spanish (ugh) husband finally bestirred himself to come to Sophia's side. Caroline detested the man. All Caroline could say was,  "Sophia, my dear. You should go rest now. Thank you for your gallant rendition."

Good lord! If she ever was to get pregnant, that was a most salutary lesson she hoped to remember. Do not unduly exert oneself.

Just then none other than Louis arrived to congratulate the wedding couple.

"Why thank you, my Lord. I'm am delighted you could join in our celebration. And I do not think our fine spread had anything to do with Lady Toledo's fainting," she smiled. But course he had been joking, Louis knew that.

George complimenting on her ability to handle her own drinking, she smiled back at him, "It's from long and diligent practice, husband of mine."

George then inquired of Louis something about sixpence? Caroline awaited the answer, uncertain of what her husband was talking about.

"If it was not the food and drink that toppled her," Louis responded to Caroline, "perhaps it was her body shape, too much weight in the front," he chuckled.

George was attempting to claim to be more generous at his wedding than Louis had been. It was six pence versus a penny.  "A grand gesture surely," Louis complimented.  They were friends after all.  "But, the point is meaningful extravagance my lord.  No attendee is likely to pocket one. It would be crass for those as wealthy as your guests to covet a six pence in plain view of others similarly situated.  What would it say?  Whereas, at my wedding, we had our coach drive among the common people and throw pennies.  They fought for it and will remember that day forever.  It also served my purpose to advertise my idea for a Navy tax of one penny.  The act tied me to the mob and the Navy at one go."  There was no reason to sound patronizing, but it was a useful lesson that money needed to be spent wisely.  "I am certain that the castle servants will be most appreciative of the opportunity to clean up after us."  Yet, they would know that the money had not been targeted to them, so it would lose the effect, at least to Louis' way of thinking.  As a member of the Green Cloth, he had quite a few dealings with servants.

This was Louis, he would hardly be stunned if she responded to him with a quip of her own.

"Even without the babe in her womb, she would already be.........as you say top heavy up front," Caroline referred to Sophia's ample breasts.

Louis comments then about the sixpence and his having pennies thrown to the commoners at his own wedding was interesting. So he tossed a few pennies to a limited number of the poor but then would later being taxing them for the Navy. She did not approve but she was not about to say any such thing to the man. He was a good friend of George and also he was Nicci's brother.

She would let George handle the response, she might as well get used to being the quiet submissive wife, at least in public. It would be quite a new role for her, the unrepenitent libertine.

Lord Chichester spoke just as she finished the song. Sophia had planned to sing another aria, but that would definitely not be possible now. She hoped that she had not ruined the reception by failing to realize her limitations. The Earl sounded more concerned than angry, so that was a good sign. She was still having trouble drawing breath … her impressive bosom heaving with effort … and she wasn’t able to answer him.  But she smiled at him gratefully.

He called for Esteban, who brought a chair with him. Utterly exhausted, she sank into it, listening as he spoke to her in Spanish. A glass was held to her lips and she gratefully drank from it. Her breath was finally returning when Caroline told her she should rest. Sophia smiled at her. “I’m sorry,” she whispered. “I had no idea that this was going to happen.”

Her husband wanted to leave, but she had other ideas. “I need to eat first,” she informed him in Spanish. “The baby’s hungry and I’m craving shrimp.”

"I shall retire my brushes, you paint yourself so wondrously." George laughed. He was well used to Louis's ability to see himself in excessively glowing terms, and felt he'd made his own point rather well in that Louis mustered a reply worthy of the House of Lords. 

"My darling," he spoke to Caroline in an observatory air, "here you witness how men manage to rewrite history, it shall serve Lord Basildon best if you do not know that his wedding was some years prior to the Naval tax. While the mobs assembled, had been there to protest the Catholics."  

Returning his humor to Louis once more he said, "But thank you for your well wishes, I was very pleased to see you attend.  Now that I've joined the exclusive club of married men, I would like to invite you and your Lady wife to dine with us.  Perhaps we should invite Lord and Lady Mountjoy also, and make it a sixome." 

George was thinking he might even become sociable now that he had a Lady Chichester at his side.  

Sophia and Esteban

Count Toledo used his hat to create a breeze so that his wife would feel fresh air on her face.  As she professed a desire to sit for a moment, her husband obliged her as it seemed reasonable.  The servant that had brought wine was instructed to retrieve a plate of shrimp for Sophia.  This he did, returning with a small plate, with a petite amount of shrimp.  Esteban stood beside her and signaled his servant to bring a carriage to the entrance for the ride back to the rented house.

Louis had intended to consider Sophia's ample bosom in his equation.  He had just omitted it for decency in front of Caroline.  So, he grinned and nodded at her addition.

As for George's clarification to Caroline, Louis nodded.  George had done him the service of making his own gesture even more valuable to his wife.

"Yes, it was an act that would help inspire Parliament to enact the Navy tax."  He was quite proud of it. "Modesty prevented me from explaining how it was also important to mollify the crowd at the time.  Not all were so astute as you to see a secondary purpose to pacify them to prevent a revolt.  Few things do it as well as money," he laughed.  Yes, it had been a brilliant plan in his mind, and for so many reasons, some of which he dared not utter in that moment.  Best to leave the idea that it had all been a charitable intent.

As for a couples gathering, Louis replied "my lady wife is late in her arrival.  Stormy seas in the channel this time of year," he explained.  "Perhaps we can sit together in church."  There were few places for married folks to meet and supp. 

Buckingham and Nicci

"I was short-sighted in mine, but as you say...the same is not true for him. It was one of the first things I spoke of to Francis when he came to court," Buckingham revealed. He had wasted little time in taking measure of Francis and in offering him advice.

The duke did so admire a pregnant lady. It was one of the forms of a female that he found quite arousing. He was also intelligent enough to realize the recklessness of it for a married lady; especially one married to one of those stodgy Spaniards. 

"Beautiful but foolish," Buckingham observed. "It is oft such with ladies of beauty, that there is not enough sense, intelligence, and wit to compliment it. Having all of those things is far more attractive." He then tipped his glass in thought and added, "Though most men prefer their ladies to be vacuous." 

Buckingham clapped for the lady but also harumphed as if doubting the lady could learn from experience. He knew Francis had also struggled with the lady in question. He had been correct to get her married before he could be blamed for her reckless behavior! Now Toledo could deal with being spoken of as an overindulgent husband and all the questions it raised of his masculine prowess and ability to rule his household. "Indeed," was his only response about the lady.

Nicci's retraction, however, earned a laugh. "I thought that might be the case. When you discover a way to hold power and influence as a lady, do not relinquish it. Let them benefit from your hand, but do not let them go beyond needing it." Buckingham had little doubt that Basildon was working his own machinations on her. She was a lady that did not need to be swayed by a relative's kindness or protection for his own advantage.

"A man cannot rise to greatness without some challenges," he agreed with a titter of amusement.