JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

The Chichester Wedding | Tuesday 20th, 3pm

George Hardwick III

Francis & Dorothea

“I did not think your brother the spoiling type,” Francis agreed. "It is the boy that will have the notions over being afforded a 'European Tour' of the continent. I am certain such notions would not last overlong."

He hmmed at her observation that they had never found out who the real and true scoundrels were who would have a laugh at the expense of a (very) highborn lady and foreign dignitary. He wondered if her brother had also spotted that oversight and thought to educate them in some German himself! That notion made him chuckle. He rather hoped her brother had availed himself of such a duty!

"Ah, so true! And how worse off we would all be if you had decided to return home after the incident! You are right, though, as I doubt Her Majesty would have wished you to leave after a rash decision afforded you by a wayward boy driven by scoundrels. I saved a lot of trouble, I suppose," he joked. ”I am quite sure Her Majesty and maybe even the King himself would have had some choice words for the lad."

Francis noticed her solemn - and difficult promise - and added, "Just save the particulars for your knowledge alone. You can surely say that Lord Kingston has a secret surprise for the King, and then I imagine everyone will have quite some fun imagining what it might be. After all, you and I have become known as purveyors of wonders." He, of course, alluded to the sugar pieces.

He was then distracted by Sophia's brazen performance. He might have intervened without much thought when she was his responsibility, but she was now her husband's. It was fortuitous that both Lord Toledo and Lord Chichester - who were much closer - intervened and had the lady sit down. He observed with some worry in his blue eyes and a little pinch in his brow.

"The lady takes too many risks. I do hope all is well, but Lord Toledo is there now. It would be strange if I intervened." He did not, however, say anything which would prevent Lady Dorothea from doing as she pleased.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buckingham and Nicci

"No one can predict the future.” She said by way of an excuse for his wife, no doubt there had been advantages at the time that had appealed. 

“It is that saying ‘be careful of what you wish for’” and they were talking about Francis again, which she’d not meant to do.   “La, but what if I had a brass lantern with a magic genie in it here today, what would Your Grace wish for?”

Sophia’s near collapse sent a ripple of conversation through the gathering, Nicci and Buckingham played their part in that too.  “Ambassador Toledo may yet hope motherhood will temper her interests.” She grinned, doubting that motherhood would turn Sophia head away from her love affair with singing.  It was a common problem for people to come to regret their hasty marriage. 

Nicci’s eyes the swung to her friend, and she hoped Caroline would not also come to regret this rush-decision marriage.  

Of course, Bucks accepted her retraction, then added in his own aside. 

“Duke Buckingham,” Nicci leaned closer and murmured, “are we still talking about Louis?  For you have taken my mind naughty mind elsewhere; you must surely know of my attraction to parts of raising greatness.”  At first, she was teasing, but then her voice dropped quieter still, and in more earnest she resumed, “While there is indeed a challenge.  A challenge… that I have sometimes thought to speak to you It is as they say, one cannot serve two masters, and so I have sometimes considered...” She met his eyes, letting the completion of her sentence hang in the air between them.

Francis & Dorothea

“You have not seen him with Christian and ‘Thea, his children, he would give them the stars.” Dorothea smiled at this softer side of her brother.

"But I shall not put notions in his head.” She replied in a quieter tone in regards to the mischief makers, those behind the prank gone wrong, “It could not be good politics for him to express protectiveness to some English, especially at this late stage.  “It is water under a bridge.” At least, she hoped that thought had not occurred to her brother, the Margrave. 

Still, she laughed along with Francis and added, “I hope he remembers to send you a thank you note at Christmas, or perhaps even a hamper.”

Was it too soon to talk about Christmas? She did not think so.

He offered a compromise, to which her smile brightened greatly.  “Purveyors of wonders, yes we are, actually.” Her fine curls bounced as she nodded with raising cheer, “Francis noticed her solemn - and difficult promise - and added, "I have not heard of anyone else planning a surprise for King Charles, and the fine thing of your one is it shall not need to go through the food testers.  It is excellent timing, that you can do it this season, when there are all the seating along the riverbank being prepared.”

She had assumed that they would be there to watch, too.

Jointly the watched with concern as Sophia struggled.  Ought they help?  The groom, then the husband, stepped in.  “I am surprised she is even allowed to attend the season in such an advanced state,” Dorothea whispered as she eased back into her chair, “it does not say anything good about the Spanish, and their care for the unborn soul.”

The Toledos

Her husband really seemed concerned about her, although Sophia suspected that it was Juan’s baby he was truly worried about. He probably saw her as a walking womb. At least she knew he wouldn't chastise her when they got home. Even that might harm the baby. It made her sad that he thought so little of her.

The servant who brought her a small portion of shrimp likely had no children of his own or he would know how much a pregnant woman could eat. “I need more than that or I might faint when I try to stand up,” she declared, looking up at Esteban. “And not just shrimp. I’d like to taste some of the other delicacies too.  Then I will feel strong enough to leave.”

Francis & Dorothea

"You could have a jolly time making the other ladies attempt to guess what the surprise is, and find out who has the most creative and ingenious mind for such things. That should be a pleasant and diverting way to spend an afternoon."

He kept an eye on Sophia and her husband, nodding to Dorothea's assessment.

"I do not know their traditions, the Spanish, but I would not have thought a lady so far in pregnancy would be about. They are rumored to be staunch and conservative, especially in comparison to our English customs, but what do I know of the doings in a marriage." He was, clearly, quite a bachelor. Any digging would have revealed the blond Villiers had not even taken a public mistress, so it would evidence that relationships of any such kind were beyond his experience. While his libertine tendencies were known, he was not scandalous in how he conducted his private affairs.

Buckingham and Nicci

"It is a dangerous place for the mind to dwell to make changes of the past or unrealistic wishes for the future," Bucks replied to her query. "Age brings wisdom and reflection. Enjoy being in the season of making your most influential choices." He chuckled at himself.

"Not to be morose, but for me your query holds too many what ifs to answer in most ways, so I will offer you my most optimistic answer. I would ask for a happy country, the success of the King, and that he always remembers his true friends and family...even those who are foster siblings..."

Nobody could take away that he had been raised by a king with the current king as a brother and that they had shared a childhood, but courtiers did their best to always forget it the moment they had lopped off his royal foster-father's head. As if it had not ever happened. And they constantly attacked him to undermine his relationship with Charles. If he could wish for something, it would be to be safe from that, for that opened up all other doors his ambitions had aspired to which were not lost to him to time.

"Louis, and any other man with whom you have derived an advantage," Buckingham said chuckling. As to the rest, he said, "Charles has placed in you a great trust, and it is a trust he has also always had for me in such matters. One must always love the King first." And that was all he could say on the matter in the setting, whispered or not. "And carve advantage while it lasts, as any favourite should."

• 1 month later...

The Beverlys and the remaining Mountjoy

Mountjoy offered the fork as he was always willing to defer to a Lady’s sensibilities but Lady Beverly showed that she was a game cock… or rather a game hen to be more precise, and consumed the oyster in the old Roman way. He smiled for he appreciated more than hollow demureness in a Lady. His smile faltered a bit as Mary labored to swallow the oyster and he was about to reach for his pocket handkerchief when she succeeded with only minor inconvenience. 

“Your first time taking an oyster so? Why you did wonderfully my dear. Lord Beverly is fortunate to have someone as adventurous as you.”

She may not have enjoyed the experience but she endured it with manners and good grace which immediately raised her in Blount’s estimation. As they moved and found a place to sit he responded explaining his and Lady Mountjoy’s riding habits.

“The Margravina enjoys riding to be sure but I must confess my enthusiasm does outstrip hers. I find it inspirational to take a brisk ride at sunrise every morning and do so whenever I am able. Alas the Margravina’s duties prevent her from joining me on most occasions. When the Queen goes about on horseback, I join them whenever I can but it is not quite the same thing as a simple ride for pleasure. The riding in London, I find, leaves something wanting. To be sure the parks provide a amenable enough environment for a pleasurable jaunt but can not match salubriousness of an invigorating gallop through the fields and hedges of the country. One of my favorite aspects of Windsor is the extensive part and the diversions it allows. Why just the other morning I had the good chance to come upon your husband, Lord Beverly, whilst we were both out for a morning ride. I shall now have the pleasure of anticipation that I might come across both you and lord Beverly and share your charming company yet again.”

He caught Beverly’s eye and noticed that Lady Sophia, heavy with child, was exhibiting herself and soon treated them to a song. Singing at a wedding was not uncommon and, if he were to be honest, Sophia had a enchanting voice well suited to verse and some ability for song but she was hardly in a condition to exert or call attention to herself. An eyebrow went up in reply to Beverly’s gaze but once the song started, he plastered on a contentedly amused face to watch the performance. To do otherwise would be rude.

Beverly’s concern was soon proved justified as the poor girl began to flag as a winded horse determined to jump a hedge. He briefly recollected a time when he had jumped a hedge only to find an annoyed boar rooting on he other side… But this was not the time for such musings as concern for the mother and child grew, the vulnerability of an unborn babe still fresh on his mind. Fortunately Lord Chirchester, as was his prerogative as host, intervened and Lord Toledo saw to his wife before anything untoward occurred.

“I do not contradict your supposition in the least.” He whispered in response to Lord Beverly’s comment on the Lady’s exertions. “A cheerful song at a wedding breakfast adds much to the occasion but I fear the carrying of a child can be quite taxing upon a lady and their precious charge.”

He recalled, alas, this time, not of some past hunt, but that Lady Beverly herself was recently in a similar pregnatorial state. “I do believe Lady Beverly.” He remarked to the said lady “That you yourself recently delivered upon your husband an heir. I hope your term was not unduly incommoded by discomfort and that your husband was sufficiently doting upon your comfort.”