JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Yacht Race - Friday afternoon-evening

Defiance

Sarah and Chatham

"You wish to cultivate my opinion of you?" Charles asked, a pleased little smile replacing his amused grin. "That is a fine compliment you pay me."

He meant that too. Sarah was a most impressive young woman, and for her to value his opinion of her was high praise indeed, even beyond the flirtation.

"Of course not," he agreed. "A little mystery seasons a relationship nicely." His grin bloomed again. 

"And it is important to make gentlemen like me work a little, too. It keeps us honest, and eager."

The look of shared amusement he and Sarah shared was, with the exception of that crisis with the tiger, the most himself Charles had felt in weeks. It was almost like a tonic.

"A sharp mind and wit, I find, are best displayed and enjoyed in the company of their fellows. 'Iron sharpens iron,' as they say," he said, inclining his head, and then shrugged as Sarah suggested that there was a modest man somewhere in him.

"Under all the frivolity there is a serious man, certainly, when necessary. But a modest one?"

He shook his head.

"At most, I can affect humility, at need, but no more than that. Display is too much a part of how I see my character for me to be other."

He chuckled softly as they claimed their vantage point.

"To be wholly honest, I do not know enough of sailing to even begin to make informed wagers. It was sentiment and whim that underlay my choices."

He turned slightly, to break as much of the breeze as possible for Sarah, and settled in to await the first race.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ellen and Douglas

The bets were agreed upon and the amounts set, with Ellen agreeing to the figure he suggested. More of a man's wager but from what he heard she conducted business like a man, and clearly it didn't phase her. Douglas expected to loose more than he won anyway, but counted her good company amongst his winnings. He grinned when she agreed to the poem as an additional forfeit. "Fear nae lassie, I 'spect I've set my ain forfeit."* He told her good-humouredly. 

Registering their wagers at the betting tent, Douglas noted that Ellen handed her money to him to register, even as he handed over his own, and the man at the tent looked to him for the details. It called to mind his conversation with Fiona the previous morning; the freedoms of men and women really were different. A widow had more independence, but otherwise they were expected to rely on their menfolk. He'd become used to Cat's independence; it was a sharp reminder.

And that reminder was re-enforced when, as the walked away from the tent, Ellen sighed and revealed that, when her father was ill, she had effectively run the family business. To Douglas's ears she'd taken the role of her missing mother. And yet, once her father had recovered, she'd been pushed to the background once more; chastised even. No wonder she was upset. He also hadn't known that Kingston was an investor. 

"That's awfu' ungrateful." He agreed bluntly, offering her his velvet clad arm as he silently acquiesed to her request that they walk and look for somewhere to watch the boats. "I'm sorreh ye lost yer sister. I didnae ken the wee lassie's name was Ellen, but I do ken hou much her mither's loss has hurt Melville."** He added the last quietly, for Ellen's ears only. She was Melville's family; he wouldn't out his heartache to casual listeners. 

The wind whipped at them, and Douglas reached up to ram his cavalier's hat down onto his head, lest it take it's cargo of fluffy white feathers and abscond, and he thought about women and business. "In the Heelan's a man micht be awa on business fer weeks er months at a time." He mused. Especially if the passes were snowed in. "In families whit arenae pretendin' tae be English, the lairdy o' the hoose is expected nae ainly tae maintain the hoosehauld, but tae handle business matters in his absence." Which was only sensible. Otherwise all business would grind to a halt. Would it have been easier for Doolittle's wife? "T'soonds like ye need a man tae be yer business factor."*** He suggested, and his tone was jesting but the words were not. He had learned over time that one had to work within the system, and if the system wanted a man, then that was what she needed.

"Ye ken I'm the Laird Lieutenant o' Aberdeen." He said, certain that she likely did, or at least did now. "I cuid help wi' settin' up a warehoose an' permits tae trade frae thair." He offered. If her father wanted to of course. "An' ye ken Melville an' I er close. Haps we micht speak wi' him aboot puttin' th'idea tae yer father?"+ He suggested. Where was Melville anyway? Douglas glanced around, hoping that his brother-in-arms had found the fortitude to venture out, rather than keeping to his rooms. The big Highlander worried about him. 

Subtitles
* "For not lady, I suspect I've set my own forfeit."
** "That's awfully ungrateful. I'm sorry you lost your sisterr. I didn't know the little girl's name was Ellen, but I do know hou much her mother's loss has hurt Melville."
*** "In the Highlands a man might be away on business for weeks or months at a time. In families that aren't pretending to be English, the lady of the of the house is expected not only to maintain the household, but to handle business matters in his absence. It sounds like you need a man to be your business factort."
+ "You know I'm the Lord Lieutenant of Aberdeen. I could help with setting up the warehouse and permits to trade from there. And you know Melville and I are close. Perhaps we might speak with him about putting the idea to your father?"

Edited by Douglas FitzJames

On The Queens Platform

Blount had barely begun to speak before Compton was standing, with a small bow and generous gesture to allow Sophia to the chair nearest the queen (on Karoline's right.)   "I would prefer to stand, really." he uttered midst polite farewell to the Queen and while joining Mountjoy behind a chattering collection of women. 

He smiled and quietly murmured to Charles, "There is only so much twittering a man of years can bear.  How do you do, Lord Mountjoy, you look to have summered well."

Meanwhile, Karoline's dark head turned, and she smiled a greeting at Sophia- a smile that faltered as she saw how ruined the little lady was. "Goodness, someone quick, fetch a glass of bitters!"  

Nearby ladies looked at each other with question upon faces (who was Karoline requestion this of?), but fortunately for them, a servant dashed off! 

Dorothea meanwhile helped Sophia to settle before moving into the background... moving back towards the stairs.  

Henry and Eleanor

I was working on an eyepiece...

Eleanor most emphatically did not roll her eyes, though she hid a small, amused smile behind her fan. She was developing a greater picture of Lord Grey as the devoted if somewhat absent minded academic. No wonder Cambridge, with someone to do his laundry and call him to dinner, had suited him so well. At least Reginald was on his case and was no doubt behind his eventual arrival. She would have to make certain that man received a whole box of pastries. "I am glad to see you too." She replied warmly, and honestly. For all that he was a little vague he was a dear and she was growing quite fond of her uncle. 

"Well, Mr Masoniere is a man of eminent wisdom." She declared brightly, clearly amused. "A touch of colour suits you, and stops you looking as though you are in half-mourning." She declared. There was nothing wrong with more reserved attire in her mind, nothing at all, but one did not wish to look as though someone had died. Her own yellow silk was bright and joyful and simple in a way that suited a young lady. With her personal floral embellishments of course. 

It was pleasing to hear that he was felling well - better even - and that Reginald was seeing to it that he was eating and sleeping. "I shall have to thank Reginald." She observed. "I am certain that a man of academia appreciates having clarity of mind." Certainly a lady did not wish to miss out on her sleep, it did terrible things to one's complexion. 

The arrival of the fan at their feet cut short the conversation, and once Henry kindly picked it up - not the easiest thing for a lady in full stays - she regarded it curiously. As he turned it this way and that, she thought it looked familiar. Suddenly it dawned. "I know this fan." She declared. "I met it's owner yesterday afternoon." She remembered seeing it in Maria's hands and admiring it, because Eleanor adored such things. "And she is someone whom I think that you might like to meet." She added playfully. Wouldn't that be just the coup, if Eleanor found Henry a wife before Lady Lucas did?

Sarah and Chatham 

"And you are very skilled at 'seasoning' I suspect. But you are a man of the World so naturally it would be so."

"I might even find it a disappointment to find you lack in anything Lord Chatham."

"Is there not a saying that speaks of 'rewards for ones efforts'   ...... But I can not recall from where  ...."

This was what she liked the most.

The word-play with hidden meanings that one pretended not to know yet encouraged.

"You are right there as well - it is such a struggle to have to push along and even guide a conversation - how fortunate am I then to have such a companion that needs no prodding."

"Court requires that disguise. One must learn it to survive. Here is no place for the faint of heart"

"But do you not tire of wearing two faces? The efforts required to maintain."

She lifted her skirts to avoid a dirtied spot and he might catch a glimpse of a pale yellow clad stocking ankle and the bow on her shoe.

"I find it to be so. To reconcile the two halves is difficult at times."

"For me I must maintain the balance between being a non-Catholic in a Catholic household."

"It is a relative quiet place yet after so much time most know my mood and manner."

"That I seek out and am not afraid to speak on topics is also known."

"But maintaining the balance to not overstep is oft times draining."

"Why must we change who we are?"

They had reached the spot he had directed them to and, ever the Gentleman, tried to block some of the wind.

"Neither do I."

Said in reference to sailing.

"I enjoy water-craft if the water is temperate but lack understanding of the fundamentals."

"Well Dame Fortuna shall rule for us today then."

"I do hope She smiles with favor on me  ...."

She gave him a smile the held a hand to her brow looking towards the starting line.

"Do you know the length of the course  ......."

Ellen and Douglas 

She could only nod her head as he expressed his sympathies for her sister's loss.

He seemed to know her brother-in-law very well and if that was so then she was glad that he had a friend that he, she hopes, could turn to.

The wind was very present but she was used to it.

She liked the way it cleared the air and she was glad that she had had the idea to pin her overskirt to the underskirt to keep her skirts from flapping open.

"My father did not object to me keeping his books but what he did object to was that I had dared to overstep my place."

"A daughter unseen at home seated behind a desk and doing inventories has no outside eyes to watch. A daughter who knows how the warehouses are divided and where things are is also acceptable."

"A daughter who's face is known to all along the waterfront and to ships Captain and crew is also acceptable."

"But a daughter who dared to imagine and think of herself to be an equal to a MAN and thus conduct Business unacceptable."

"You paint a picture very different from here."

But it was that last part that made her strop in her tracks. Made her look straight at him.

That she was for a moment caught in surprise he would clearly see. She took a moment to gather herself then continued.

"You? A factor  ..... Business  ...."

"I had forgot that you hold that position. Why it makes sense indeed."

"And you and Lord Melville are already close as you say ....."

She set them to continuing on not wanting to be enveloped in the crowds and missing the start.

"You have given me an idea to think on. It would be possible on many levels if my father could be convinced."

"He is a shrewd man. He does nothing that will not bring Profits."

"If you are serious and not just offering words then let us discuss this again at a better time and place."

"To formulate a Plan is essential before we seek out Melville. And he may not be interested."

"Yet such a thing might be just what he needs right now."

"What do you think?"

Her opinion of him had evened up. What he had proposed even in jest made indeed a good idea.

Ellen and Douglas

"Sae whit yer sayin' is, tis alricht fer ye tae do all the work, but nae tae git ony o' the credit." Douglas paraphrased when Ellen finished her little rant. She was permitted to do everything up until the actual dealing, the point end of things as it were. And it sounded as though she were more than capable. Oh but that was a song he knew how to sing. "Tis funny hou folk weel luik doon on others fer th'accident o' thair birth; as thou' t'was thair fault."* He muttered, half to himself. Certainly not all women were suited to business, but then neither were all men. He was all to accustomed to being told to mind his place because he was illegitimate, as though he were the one who had committed adultery. He could understand why Ellen might wish to have been born a man. 

The look his suggestion earned him was one of surprise. It seemed a logical step to him, but he supposed that Ellen still had to answer to her father. "Estates often hae factors wha execute thair Laird's orders whin he's awa'." He explained easily. "An' tae open a Heelan's expansion, yer'll need a Heelan' factor."** Was his line of thought. Douglas spent most of his time up north when court wasn't in session, so if they were to open a warehouse in Aberdeen, he could easily act on their behalf. Or... there might be other ways of doing things. 

"I'm quite serious." He assured her as they walked on, Douglas scanning for somewhere to view the boats, reminding himself that his companion wasn't as tall as he was. "But aye, I un'erstand that thairs nae point wi'oot profit." That much was obvious. That was how Sir Cedric came to be so rich; he was a ruthless businessman. No doubt he would also prefer a venture which would be relatively low risk for himself. And if it was successful, and Douglas put up the initial investment, that would surely put him on better standing for business deals. "I'm happy tae discuss this later if ye prefer, whin wuid suit ye?" He asked. "I think Melville weel at least want tae hear oour plan; t'weel gie him ocht else tae think aboot."*** He said. Which would, as Ellen so deftly put it, be exactly what the man needed. 

But perhaps Ellen preferred more light hearted topics for the moment, if she wished to talk business later? Ah, there was Melville, he'd found himself a good vantage point, and was talking with... why, Frances Cavendish! Good man! Poor Frances had two engagements fall through and a sister now debuting at court; perhaps there could be an opportunity there and Melville was a good catch in Douglas's admittedly biased opinion. Not wanting to interrupt them, Douglas angled his and Ellen's path towards the same vantage point but a little further on, so that they would not intrude. "Are yer father an' sister at coort as well this session?"+ He asked, having only spotted Ellen by herself.

Subtitles
* "So what you're saying is, it's alright for you to do all the work, but not to get any of the credit. It's funny how people will look down on others for the accident of their birth; as though it was their fault."
** "Estates often have factors who execute their Lord's orders when he's away. And to open a Highlands expansion, you'll need a Highlands factor."
*** "I'm quite serious. But yes, I understand that there's no point without profit. I'm happy to discuss later if you prefer, when would suit you? I think Melville will at least want to hear our plan; it will give him something else to think about."
+ "Are your father and sister at court as well this season?"

Edited by Douglas FitzJames
Spelling

Davina and Anne-Elisabeth

It wasn’t long before Anne-Elisabeth saw Davina hurrying toward her. “I only got here a few minutes ago myself, so don’t worry.”

She glanced toward the riverbank. The gentlemen were boarding their ships. “It looks like the first race is about to begin, but there should still be time to make a wager. I can accompany you to the booth but I won’t be placing any bets. I don’t know any of the racers well enough to predict a winner.” And I loathe losing money.

Anne-Elisabeth shook her head at Davina’s next question. “I’ve been looking, but I haven’t spotted either the Duchess or Lady Oakham. Maybe they decided not to attend. Or perhaps they were injured after we left the séance. I haven’t seen either of them since then.”

The Count of Toledo

Esteban finished discussing world politics with the Earl of Sunderland.  The Northern Secretary was less open about matters than his predecessor Joseph Williamson.  Esteban's own spymaster, Diego, had spoken freely with Joseph in the past.

Speaking of Diego, the man was dressed as a commoner, as typical, and wandering through the crowd to catch snippets of information.  He had also completed the task that the Ambassador had set for him.  His wife had wished to hire Molly Murphy to assist in his wife's delivery.  The Spaniard was suspicious of all strangers that sought to involve themselves with Sophia while she carried Don Juan's child.

Sophia was in the company of the Queen and Esteban was pleased with the attention she was receiving.  Perhaps his wife would mature more in the way of court politics.

Sarah and Chatham

"Oh, more than one, I would think. The rewards of diligence and hard work are a common theme for philosophers and wordsmiths," Charles said, eye shining bright with delight. "Though I must confess that I cannot think of an exact quotation either. The only quote that springs to my mind is Aristotle — 'pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.'"

He was not a schoolboy, to be undone by a glimpse of a well-turned ankle, but Sarah had very well-turned ankles indeed and the lack of deliberate artistry in that brief glimpse enhanced rather than detracted. Charles tucked the memory away as the moment passed, and smiled a little ruefully.

"On the contrary, I should think that wearing only two faces would be a rather relaxing experience," he said drily, and then let himself grow more serious, listening closely as Sarah spoke.

"We change ourselves because the consequences of not doing so are more onerous and odious to us than donning the mask," he said at last, after a moment's thought. "A simplistic answer, of course, but it must be so when speaking in generalities. The trick, I think, once you have chosen to play the game as we have, is to find places and people where and with whom we can be, if not our whole and unvarnished selves, at least more ourselves. For myself, I... hmm. It is not quite right to say that I enjoy the game, but it satisfies some need in me, and the need to wear many faces does not often weigh heavily on me."

Another rueful smile quirked his lips.

"But then my nature is a strange thing."

They settled themselves at their chosen vantage point, the conversation returning to the more frivolous topic of the event at hand.

"We are far from alone in being wholly subject to Fortune, I think. Those best suited to judge these races on their merits are competing," he commented. "I actually don't think I do know how long the course is, now that you mention it. Just as well, perhaps, that I have wagered nothing I am not perfectly happy to lose."

He laughed.

Cordelia and the Duchess of Newcastle

The Duchess was grateful for Lady Lucas’ understanding. She was rarely embarrassed but Margaret’s behavior during their first meeting had been deplorable and had called into question her handling of the girl’s education. Had she been so inclined, the other lady could have spread it around, severely shattering her reputation, especially considering that her eldest daughter was rumored to be a bit strange, if not completely mad. A second untruly daughter would make even her friends question her ability to raise children.

“I’m glad that you think so, Lady Lucas. Margaret is learning quickly. She still keeps her own council, which might please her husband if he doesn’t like incessant chatter. If they get along, perhaps she will eventually open up to him. She is certainly not silly and frivolous like some girls her age.”

The Duchess had not known that Lord Melville’s first marriage produced a child. At least it was a just a daughter. He still needed an heir. While she had heard about his business interests, she had been unaware that his former father-in-law was involved. That could spell trouble for both Frances and Lord Melville. “Do you know anything about his father-in-law? Do you think he would resent Frances for taking his own daughter’s place at Lord Melville’s side?”

Lady Newcastle smiled as she watched the two. “I’ve only seen her this happy when she’s playing with that kitten Lady Toledo gave her. I would definitely consider him and I don’t think my lord husband would object either. As you advise, Lady Lucas, they should have time to get to know each other before any plans are made.” She saw no hurry, even though Lord Melville was considered a good catch. If he was set on Frances as his bride, he would turn down all other offers.

She did not agree with Lady Lucas’ suggestion of marrying Margaret to a second or third son. She wanted her middle child to have a title, though if the gentleman in question was one of the King’s favorites, then it was possible he would be raised in status. An older lord who was fond of her and kind might be good for her as well.

The Duchess didn’t blame Lady Lucas for having a poor opinion of Margaret. It was the girl’s own fault. To her knowledge, nobody except the other lady had heard her spouting nonsense. Poor child. She just wanted to be better at something than her older sisters. Sadly, she had gone about it the wrong way, influenced by idealistic and impractical novels that she had finally given up. Lady Newcastle still believed that her middle daughter could attract an Earl.

“You would be surprised at how much she’s changed already, Lady Lucas. Apart from her lessons, she has developed an interest in fashion that I am encouraging. She wants to be different from her sisters and the rest of them are not as passionate about the way they dress. Perhaps you would like to speak with her again.”

As for wagers, Lady Newcastle smiled. “I have done so. Have you? It looks as if the first race will start shortly.”

Margrave and York

A shot further up river signaled the start of the first race as the finish was by where the courtly onlookers were gathered to watch.

Before one could see the yachts, one could hear the yelling and the sounds of water being parted by ships. There were cheers that likely came from townsfolk with a vantage point further up the river but nothing that gave an indication of who was in the lead. 

When the yachts finally came into view, they were not far apart. It was difficult, at first, to tell who was in the lead, but shouts of, "It is the Margrave who is ahead!" could soon be heard.

The crews of both were working quickly to maintain the wind in the sails to keep momentum.

Was there cursing from York? It was hard to tell, but those closer to the bank might indeed see the prince barking out orders mixed with curses. 

There was clapping, cheering, and shouts of encouragement from some of the courtiers.

It was the Margrave who crossed the finish line and would advance to the next round.

Beverley joins CW

Beverley had seen to the earlier rounds at the betting booth. Sir George was handling the rest. 

The young viscount had placed bets for York, Cumberland, and the King...predictably. It would be the later heats that would be more difficult to choose.

He then kept his place near the Queen as Cumberland had volunteered him to explain any yacht maneuvering that needed explaining. Not that he was a yacht-racer himself, but after serving Cumberland for so long he did know a thing or two about ships and what a crew was doing.

His lady wife seemed quite happy chatting with the Queen and other ladies. He did not feel the need to get in the mix as he was not the sort to need constant attention. Or even attention at all. He was content not to have to say all too very much.

Smiling at Langdon, who was near, he said, "Did you place your bets?"

A bang signaled the first race. Of any of the races this was the one he was not as certain about. The Margrave was a bit of an unknown. He could be very skilled or not skilled at all. York was the safer bet for many reasons. However, when the yachts appeared it was the German prince who had the advantage. 

That would likely please the Queen!

The Margrave held the advantage against their former Lord Admiral and soon careened across the finish line.

Beverley clapped obligingly.

Leaning in to the other young lord, he said, "That was a bit surprising, was it not?"

Edited by Robert Saint-Leger

On The Queens Platform, Mountjoy and Compton

The alacrity with which Compton vacated his seat for the Lady improved his opinion of the clergyman for Charles put a great store in courteousness. He might not rise to the level of Buckingham but took pride in that his civility and graciousness was more comprehensive even if it was less grand.

Once he saw Sophia seated and was moving to Compton, he could not help but notice the momentary confusion of the Queen’s Ladies to her command. He looked again for Ursula as she would never have stood even the slightest disorder. It was unusual for Ursula to not be in attendance on the Queen for a function of this type but not impossible. She could be on some task for the Queen or her morning engagement could have run long. Either way he was sure that she would expect the household to run flawlessly even in her absence.

Joining the Bishop, who was kind enough to ask after his summer, he replied. “As I am with the Queen more than many other Gentlemen of her household, I suppose I am accepted as a background accoutrement and have found that if I limit myself to smiling, I find myself immune.” He tipped his head to the bishop. “Of course, when it comes to the Queen or the Margravina I do pay particular attention.”

In truth his summer had not ended very well but it would be uncouth to mention that little fact in such a casual conversation so he concentrated on the beginning of his summer. “The Margravina and I spent some time at our seat in Dorset. We had quite a pleasant time for the countryside in those parts is rather salubrious and the weather was as fine as it could be. I hope your duties allowed some leisure for you to enjoy the summer weather.” He then thought he might be able to gain some sort of advantage from this chance meeting. “Your Grace might be interested to hear that Lord Aylesford and I are pondering hosting a debate between the scholars of Oxford and Cambridge to enliven our stay here at Windsor. I have yet to speak to Lord Kingston, as Chancellor of Cambridge, to finalize but we are proposing a three-judge panel for the debate with Lord Kingston nominating a judge for Cambridge, Lord Aylesford one for Oxford, I believe he has the Chancellor in mind, and the third to be chosen by me. As you have attended both institutions, I would consider you to be a natural choice to head the panel if you would be interested.”

He paused to allow Compton to ponder his offer only adding an inducement. “I will of course stand a dinner for all the participants and although I cannot promise anything from our Cambridge fellows, I will guarantee that there will be no nattering from the Oxford side.”

Langdon and Beverley

"I, of course, bet on His Highness," the Earl replied.  "He was the Admiral of England after all."  It went without saying that one in the service of royalty were required to support royalty on any occasion.

The race result was surprising indeed.  The Duke of York seemed quite perturbed, as he should.

"How could some random German best our York?" he replied in astonishment.  "I understand he had Kingston's crew, but really."

A moment went by before he trusted Beverley enough to say "I would not be surprised if a German loosened a knot here or there on our prince's yacht."  That could make the difference.  Charles had been a midshipman in the Royal Navy as a teenager.  "I am not accusing anyone, of course." One did so very lightly with rulers.

Ellen and Douglas 

"That is basically it. Yes."

"I am more than qualified to do what must be done as in relation to my sex but to go beyond that is to be shot down."

"None of those men even at the idea of my father dying dared to show the least bit of interest in front of each other."

"I understand it. But I had hoped - and there in was the issue - that reason would be seen and the Future ahead as beneficial to all."

She nodded in agreement.

"Of course I know about factors for my father employs one for his holding outside of London."

"Your suggestion came at me in surprise that is all. Once said I saw the potential."

"You must think me slow indeed to not have grasped it. But I assure you I am far from that."

"Here now is not the right timing. But I would be happy to meet up with you."

"Lord Melville also has a keen mind. I think he will be interested."

"Let us agree on a time and place before we leave here - is that alright?"

She felt comfortable with him. He was indeed nice and she understood that her feelings were far from 'brotherly'.

"My father is here as is Natalie. She has her friends and so is happy to go where things are arranged. She is not really allowed to go out alone. But she is clever and escapes."

She smiled and it was then that the start of the Race began   .....

Sarah and Chatham 

"Do you find it so - relaxing I mean?"

"I understand that Life here requires much but you are saying that finding the right places and people can be an easement then?"

"I have my circle and with them I as well as they can be more relaxed that is true but there is always an undercurrent."

"Looking for some hidden meanings in words or phrases, was that a slight intended or by accident   .... ..."

"It is exhausting oft times but what is to be done?"

"I am sorry now I have darkened the mood when it was meant to be light."

"Perhaps I should heed your advice ..... will you teach me your secret?"

She asked him suddenly.

"I am a quick learner so your time will not be wasted."

She smiled at him knowing he would read the double meanings.

Whether she was serious or not in her teasing he would have to discover.

It was then that the Race began and she leaned forward eager to see.

"Will you say a Prayer to Dame Fortuna    ........."

"You might need all the help you can get!"

Davina and Anne-Elizabeth 

She was just as serious as her friend.

"No I will not wager. I have not the luxury of additional funds at the moment."

She did not elaborate as to why.

"Do you think that is so? I mean it is possible they were hurt but if the Count was taken down then they should be unharmed."

"Lady Oakham is most Social and I would think that the Duchess would be here with her family  ...."

"EVERYONE is here. How could they not be with both Their Majesties in attendance."

"Shall we walk around a pace or two? Since we are not wagering we can avoid that area. Shall we move towards the River or have you an idea?"

"I imagine the first Race is soon to start  ......"

Lady Lucas with the Duchess of Newcastle 

"Do not overly fret Your Grace about Lady Margaret. You are guiding her now and when the time comes I shall assist as well."

Re Melville

"As to her father ... Well I only know what has been said about Court - He is a Baronet by coin and a widower. Doolittle is the last name I believe."

"Troubles? Why?Lord Melville is a Peer and who he remarries next is not the concern of the dead wife's father."

"And he and this new bride will hardly LIVE with him! He is a man and understand all to well the need for Melville to find a mother for his daughter. Yes she is his grandchild and will always be so but he can hardly interfere with Melville or his Life. That being said he himself did not get another wife so perhaps he might have resentment if Melville did?"

"But that is getting ahead of the Game. If it did arise then we shall move around it."

She was confident of that.

The Duchess made no mention or gave agreement to her suggestions regarding Lady Margarets marriage prospects.

They then returned to the topic of Lady Margaret.

"Why of course I shall see her! Her improvements will be a testament of your teachings You Grace so naturally I wish to."

"It is a good sign that as she has turned to such things as dress for that is harmless enough save for ones purse! But it also shows that she has come to the understanding that she is a Duke's daughter and thus must present herself with Dignity and Polish and how doing so reflects on her parents. How she presents herself now is what any prospective candidate will see."

"I have wagered a modest sum indeed."

"Yes I suspect any time now. Will you walk with me towards the River or will you re-join your Party  ...."

She was fine to either conclusion and if departure was done send the Duchess away on the promise of further meetings.

John Palliser 

He had arrived alone. As was planned.

It was not that he did not have acquaintances for he did it was just that he had much on his mind and so thought he would be poor company.

He watched Anne-Elizabeth and saw she was alone but then that dark haired lady he had seen before arrived and the two appeared deep in conversation so he did not bother. He would at some point seek Anne-Elizabeth out during the Race as there were things he wanted to ask that only she could provide answers for. He doffed his hat when the King and Queen arrived and took some refreshments but did not wager.

Now he had found a spot along the River where the view was good and he could enjoy festivities. Here too were many pretty women and that only added to the enjoyments.

He might well take one up if she was willing for he had not slept with anyone since the last time with Anne-Elizabeth and he was feeling a bit constricted.

The Race commenced and he was curious as to who might win the first one.

The Duke of Cumberland was to race in the second and so John wanted to gage his skills for Master May had suggested he go to him to plead his case.

He already knew abut him of course but reading on paper was no the same as seeing in person. 

The Queen's Platform:  Karoline and Sophia

As she waited, Sophia’s eyes scanned the crowd. She could see everything so much better on the platform . Lady Frances was conversing with Lord Melville. Both of them needed some happiness in their lives. Perhaps they would find it with each other. She would be elated to sing at their wedding. The next time they spoke, she would ask her friend about him. 

Her Eros was with Sarah Churchill. Though she didn’t have a jealous bone in her body, she wondered what the two of them could have in common. Just in case he looked her way, she touched her cheek with one finger to let him know she was thinking of him.

Davina was speaking with that foul-mouthed libertine widow she’d heard about. Mistress Wellsley had always seemed a bit disapproving of Sophia, so why was she socializing with someone like that?

Douglas and Ellen Doolittle made an interesting pair. Though Sophia often thought about what could have been if she had stayed single longer, she knew he would marry eventually. She hated to admit it, but Ellen and her father, who were not noble by birth, might not have a problem with his illegitimacy. She wanted him to be happy even if it couldn’t be with her. The young Countess reminded herself to advise Mistress Bayning not to rush into marriage the next time she saw her.

The most surprising person she saw was Francis. Wasn’t he supposed to be on a yacht now? The races were about to begin ...

The Bishop of London vacated his seat and the Queen smiled at her. Sophia once more made a clumsy curtsy. Queen Karoline noticed her distress and called for a glass of bitters. “I will be fine, Your Majesty,” she assured her as she sat down in the chair next to her with Dorothea's assistance.  She thanked the other German with a smile. “I am just a bit out of breath.”

Sarah and Chatham

Charles gave Sarah the small, thin smile that was, perhaps ironically, one of the most sincere and genuinely friendly smiles in his arsenal.

"As a 'dark lord,'" he said, harkening back to the title she had given him earlier, "it would be remiss of me to object to a little darkness, no? And the contrast, I think, only serves to enhance the brightness that was, and will be again. By all of which I mean to say that I do not consider you to have anything to be sorry for."

He hummed thoughtfully at her request for his advice, his lips curving wider in answer to her own teasing smile.

"My secret... hmm. Well, as I have said, it is important to make certain that one has opportunities to be bare... of artifice, to be one's uninhibited self. And if there is an 'undercurrent,' as you put it, with your circle then I would suggest you find another outlet or seek out other companions, with whom you might be more intimate" he said. "Beyond that, if I have a secret, it is that my nature is such that I enjoy the rough and tumble of court, and though I might wear a hundred faces, every one of them is me. Enjoy the game for what it is, is my advice."

The start of the first race drew their attention then, and Charles laughed at Sarah's jab.

"Fortune will be besieged with prayers as is," he said drily. "I shall spare the poor lady further vexation."

He had cause to reconsider that stance as the race entered its climax. The Margrave held the lead, and his crew seemed to be functioning with regrettable smoothness.

"Come on," he murmured, eye fixed on York's yacht, abandoning his customary sangfroid to lean forward. 

But the Margrave held on to claim victory. Charles joined in the applause for the German, allowing his natural regard for an underdog to overcome his mild irritation at losing a wager. It was a good show for a man whose margraviate was land-locked, even if Charles suspected that most of the credit rightly belonged to ship and crew rather than captain.

"Well, you have won our first wager," he said with a bow to Sarah, smiling ruefully. "Do you know what service you would have of me, or do you yet need time to ponder?"

Sarah and Chatham 

"But that would mean to defeat the purpose of being at Court would it not?"

"To be free from any artifice is only for those newly born and small children."

"Or Nuns."

"We are taught, or at lease I have been, how to behave and in what manner and the right degrees of Politeness and which smile to use or glance to make  ...."

"Oh I much enjoy many aspects of Court. It is those that inhabit that cause me to fall into such moods as I have shown you."

"But I have heard what you have advised and I will see how best to implement."

"I had not expected you to be so ready to share your secret   ..... Ah well  ....."

She hinted at something that might have been but was now lost. She teased and she knew that he knew what she was doing.

They made a very knowledgable pair.

The Race began and all eyes watched. Lord Chatham even giving voice but in the end it was the Margrave that won.

"Well Done!!"

She applauded with the rest that were around them.

Lord Chatham admitted his defeat but then asked for what she wanted of him.

"There are two races left you know. So are you conceding Defeat to them as well?"

"Surely not   ...... You are far too used to winning to do nonsense like that ....."

"This was beginners Luck for the Margrave or perhaps it was already decided or any number of reasons."

"The one that truly matters is Buckingham and the King."

"And to be honest I have yet to think of what I shall have you do once I have won."

Had they agreed to collect on each win or after all three?

She could not remember. 

Sarah and Chatham

"I pride myself on there being not a trace of artifice to be seen in me," Charles said with an admirably straight face, and in a voice of clear (and practiced) sincerity, choosing his words very carefully. "My motives and my actions are always entirely transparent."

(Which of course meant either that one could see through them... or that one could not see them at all.)

He managed to hold out for a moment before his laughter broke through.

"No, no, as you say court demands artifice of us — but to my mind, that simply means that it is necessary to have a place away from court where that artifice can be laid aside for a time, lest it start to chafe."

He nodded slowly as Sarah expounded on the reasons behind her darker moods.

"Court is full of fools, and boors, and –" he very nearly said 'cunts', "– disagreeable people," he adjusted. "I would say that the solution is to curate your acquaintances carefully, but that is perhaps a more practical and easily implemented solution for a gentleman than a lady."

He shrugged easily at Sarah's professed surprise at how readily he had given up his 'secret.'

"I do not think it a secret at all, to be wholly honest. It would have been... churlish, I felt, to barter with it."

He was in truth enjoying this little game far too much to cheapen it so.

The game was temporarily superseded, however, by the first of the yacht races. A dramatic spectacle, to be sure, even if Charles would rather the result reversed.

"Oh, I concede nothing as regards those races yet to be run," he said, shaking his head. "But my forfeit was that, should the Margrave overcome York, as he has done, I would undertake to perform one service or task that you asked of me. I will not seek to wriggle free of it."

He smiled.

"But take all the time you need to think. I will not rush you."

Eleanor and Henry

"I owe Lord Chichester for introducing me to Mr Masonierre. Another reason I feel terrible at having missed the wedding. He has been so kind to me!" That the tailor took care of choosing his wardrobe and his valet told him what to wear every day helped Henry not to have to think about clothing at all.

"Reginald is a true blessing. Just do not tell him. He will want a raise if you do", Lord Grey said half in jest. His servant was very well compensated, and unlikely to ask for more, but one never knew. "And yes, I have come to realize that regular exercise coupled with a good night sleep, or at least half a night plus part of the day, make for swifter progress in research. I still need to remember to eat when I should, though, but I have you to remind me of that".

"A lady I may like to meet? Pray tell, my dear, who is this mystery lady?" The baron was intrigued.

Eleanor and Henry, approaching Maria and Cesare

So this mysterious Lord Chichester was responsible for the increased palette of Henry's attire! She understood her Uncle's remorse over missing the wedding. "We shall have to make it up to him." She said simply, and by 'we' she meant Henry, but Eleanor would help if she could. He already had her suggestion for a gift, but if she thought of some other way to make amends she would be certain to mention it. Alas but her forté might not really be useful until they were expecting their first child. No doubt Lady Chichester already had a dressmaker. 

Henry's lighthearted insistence that she not put Reginald in a position to demand a raise made Eleanor giggle behind her own fan. She hoped the man had eaten his pastry, or at least the rest of hers, after all. "I suppose it must be rather difficult to find the right time to sleep when one studies the stars whilst at court." She mused. After all, one was expected to be at social events in the evening, often until quite late, and to then have time for his study, well, she supposed he must often sleep during the day. "Do you go to sleep early at Codnor Castle?" She asked. Most people didn't use more candlelight than necessary and went to bed relatively early, especially in the winter, and woke during the night for a few hours, before returning to bed and sleeping until dawn. She could imagine that the dark middle of the night would be the ideal time for Astronomy, and going to bed earlier than one might otherwise would maximise that time. 

Holding the errant fan, Uncle Henry enquired as to the identity of it's owner, his tone suggesting she'd piqued his interest. Eleanor gave that demure little smile of hers and raised her own fan as she stepped a little close and took Henry's arm that they might walk together. She began, before glancing around for signs of the lady in question. "Her name is Maria Vittoria Gonzaga Augustine,  and she is a Principessa of Guastalla and the Dowager Baroness of Willowmere, so she has told me." She began as they walked, her own fan waving in a gentle, languid manner that hid her mouth most of the time. "But she is only a few years older than I; Baron Willowmere was apparently quite elderly and their marriage did not last long." She explained. It was so sad. "I'm sure you've heard of the Gonzagas of Mantua, and she also travels to Venice and is familiar with Murano glass, which made me think of your telescope lenses." Of course, she had only Maria's word for her circumstances, but could see no reason for the woman to lie. 

"What I thought was interesting is that apparently her sister's husband now holds the Duchy title, presumably for their future son." She supposed that they did things differently in Italy. "Maria and her sister have no brother." Which meant she was an heiress, unless the eldest daughter inherited everything in lieu of a son in Italy, but she didn't think so from what else Maria had told her. "She told me that, although a more distant relative inherited her late husband's title, she purchased the estate from him." Which meant that she had money. "She prefers to stay in England." Which meant that she might be looking for an English husband. Eleanor carefully didn't make any mention of Maria's strained relationship with her sister. 

Hopefully she wasn't sounding like a gossip; Henry did ask who she was. "I mentioned your Astronomy Night and she was quite intrigued. She is very pleasant company and I thought that, given your own search for a wife, you might like to meet her. I hope I have not overstepped myself." She added seriously. She wouldn't want to intrude where her attention was not welcome, but she did want to help Henry however she could. 

Suddenly a flash of bright colours - teal and yellow, aubergine and gold - caught her eye, and the beautiful Mediteranean complexions immediately stood out. "There she is." She said quietly with a nod in the couple's direction. "And that must be her cousin with her. Her mother is here also." But Eleanor did not know their names. Instead she very gently guided them in the pairs' direction, trusting Henry to not make it look as though she was leading. 

"Your Highness!" She called to Maria. "I think this might be yours?" She gestured to the fan in Henry's hand. 

Edited by Eleanor Bayning
Spelling

Sarah and Chatham 

That he did not seek to one up her reply made her happy. It meant that he was still willing to play along.

"It is good that you can laugh - even at yourself - for that speaks of intelligence."

"And laughter is a thing often in short supply."

"And 'curate' is indeed an apt word."

"So I shall begin today then and can add you, Lord Chatham, to acquaintances."

"But that makes it seem like we have nothing in common or are to see each other not so often."

"Lets us skip that stage and go directly to 'friend."

"For I hope that we will be so."

She was all seriousness in that sentence.

Ah so they had not made it till all three races ended  ....

She turned to look at him directly her gaze an assessing one and her head tilted just a tad to her left.

There was nothing rude in it.

"No I did not think that you would try to get out of it."

"But as to just what you must do  ...... Of that I am not sure."

"I can say that it will not be something foolish or cause you to lose face. I am not that kind of person."

"Shall I be allowed to group all three together when the next two go as the first?"

"Not that I am wishing you to lose at all  ....."

She could not help the grin that followed her eyes filled with amusement.

Davina and Anne-Elisabeth

“Neither do I.” While Anne-Elisabeth could have wagered a small amount, she could think of a million other things that she would rather spend her money on. She liked taking chances, but she only gambled when she was absolutely certain she would win. Or when she was drunk.

“I suppose if they were injured badly we would have already heard about it. And we don’t know for sure what happened to the phony Count. I hope he’s rotting in hell, but maybe he fled back to wherever he came from.” He was a threat to them as long as he was alive so she hoped he was dead.

“You’re right. They should be here. Do you think that the Duke found out and sent his wife away from court? If so, perhaps Lady Oakham went with her. She seemed to worship the ground the Duchess walked on.”

Davina’s idea was a good one. “Yes, lets walk toward the river. If I had arrived early enough, I would have tried to charm our way onto one of the yachts. It’s too late now.” She sighed. “It would have been fun.”

As they began to stroll, Anne-Elisabeth once more scanned the crowd. “Is the Duke of Albemare here? I have no idea what he looks like.” If he was without his wife, then something had prevented her from attending.

Cordelia and the Duchess of Newcastle

“Very true,” the Duchess said about Melville and his father-in-law. “We can deal with that problem if it arises. For now, I shall endeavor to discover more about both of them.” Would a Baronet who had bought his title object to a Duke's daughter from an old and influential family taking his own daughter's place? She was curious about the characters of both gentlemen. What if Lord Melville had killed his wife? There was so much that she needed to know.

She was glad that Lady Lucas wanted to see Margaret again. “Yes, she understands now hat everything she does has an impact on the rest of us. She is very remorseful about the way she acted when you met her and is eager to show you how she has changed.”

The Duchess smiled. “If we walk towards the river, I will be able to rejoin my daughters. I told them not to leave until I came back. If you would like, you can speak to Margaret then.”

Sarah and Chatham

"I rather think I should be entirely intolerable, were I not able to laugh at myself," Charles said wryly. "Especially considering how easily and heartily I laugh at everything else."

That was as much his 'secret' as anything else. Most people took things far too seriously, heaped pressure and expectation on themselves, and made quite simple, straightforward tasks into epic challenges. Charles did not.

But wry humour and pseudo-philosophical musings alike were put aside as Sarah continued.

"Friends," he agreed, donning a seriousness to match hers. Friendship he did not take lightly.

He bore her appraisal in good-humoured silence, wondering (as he always did in such circumstances) what exactly she was seeing, what she could read in his face. It was only natural — a man who put as much effort into presentation as Charles did would understandably want to know how his performance was received and interpreted.

And at this point I think that even my sincerity is a performance.

"I make it a matter of policy to meet all my wagers and forfeits. It is only pragmatic," he said simply, and then gave Sarah a mock-stern look in return for her gentle ribbing.

"No, of course you are not," he said drily. "But if, despite your wishes and mine, Fortune continues to scorn me in the next two races, then, yes, you may group all three together."