JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Yacht Race - Friday afternoon-evening

Defiance

Frances and Duncan

“I stand corrected then. I will follow your advise and think more, perhaps even involve myself more in political matters”. The Commons looks more alluring every day.

“If your family ever decides to travel north of Hadrian’s Wall, please, suggest to them to call on Melville Castle hospitality. It would be an honour to host you, and my mother the dowager would be ecstatic. No young lady has laughed inside its walls since my sister became Lady Balcarres. It would do both my mother and the old halls a world of good”.

”As for the Carib, you never know. I never dreamed to go there until one day I did. Never lose hope”. Without noticing, Duncan’s melancholy was becoming less sad.

”Little Ellen wants to see everything, touch everything, help with everything. Recently she threw a fit because she was not allowed to go to the kitchen to help cook…” the memory brought a smile to his lips. “Perhaps when she is a bit older I will bring her with me, yes. She must learn to love England too…”

They started moving towards the betting booth. “Five pounds! That is dangerous living indeed”, he said with a glint in his eye. Once they arrived, they met a lord who wanted to bet ten pounds on each race, but for the exact oposite set of participants. The Lowlander gladly bet five pounds of his own on each race, so the bets were covered. Now to see if it is true that I can read court right…

”Would you like something to eat or drink before the races start, my lady?”

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frances and Duncan 

"I did not mean to make it sound like you needed to be 'corrected'."

"So I will apologize if you thought it so."

She did not think she had overstepped but then they did not really have any knowledge of each other.

"I shall blame it on my ancestress - the great Bess of Hardwick - for I admire her greatly."

"Have you seen her portrait in the Gallery? I used to visit her with G  ........ A friend .... but have not in some time."

What was she doing! She had almost exposed her secret to him. She had better be more attuned to her words.

"If the occasion ever presents itself then I would be honored to visit."

She changed the topic away then

"Your Lady Mother must be lonely with you here in London but it is good that she has her granddaughter by her side."

"Your daughter has relatives here so as she grows it will be important to maintain them."

"Ellen   .. what a pretty name! Is she named after anyone in your family then?"

They then reached the betting tent and he wagered the same amount as she.

Now they could do nothing but wait for the outcome of each race.

"I should like to walk by the River and look over the boats ...."

"But please do not feel that you must stay by my side."

"Not that I am not enjoying your company Lord Melville."

She favored him with a smile.

"Shall I treat you to some refreshment then - since you provided help in the wagering after all."

Posted (edited)

Frances and Duncan
“It was just an expression, my lady. No need to apologize”. It was true, they did not know each other, and she was English while he was a Scot. Yet, Duncan felt comfortable in her company. He did not feel the need to wear a mask. To be polite, even gallant, yes, but not to behave as something he was not.

”Lady Elizabeth Talbot, Countess of Shrewsbury? She was quite the lady. She is famous even in Scotland. She was a companion of Mary, Queen of Scots, while the Queen was captive in England. They did needlework together. I did not know she was related to your family. You are right to be very proud of her!” Compared to Bess of Hardwick, Duncan’s ancestry, although ancient and illustrious, felt plebeian. “I have not seen her portrait, no, but I will make it a point to visit the gallery and look for it the next time I am in London”.

”The dowager feels that her house is empty. Her son went first to war, then to the English Court. Later, her daughter got married. Ellen is her comfort, up to a point, but she does not want to travel with me to England, so there is not much I can do, except go back home whenever I can. As for Ellen, she was named after my departed wife’s eldest sister…”

The train of thought was cut short as they placed their bets.

”I would be honoured to walk by the river with you, my lady…” her smile to him felt warm, real. “And I will accept the refreshment, but only not to slight you. It is I who should be treating you”.

Edited by Duncan Melville

Frances and Duncan 

"I should think that it is only natural that she misses you."

Said as they continued with their stroll towards the betting tent.

"If my child was so far away I would too. I expect that as parents no matter a child's age they will always seem to be small still?"

"Ah   ..... So you refer to your wife's sister Mistress Doolittle then  ...... I have never met her but have heard of her."

Most of Court had at one time or another heard all about the Doolittle sisters and the attempt to marry them off by an overly aggressive father.

"That is not to say I put any faith in all that kind of thing. I myself have but recently been the brunt of snide remarks and whispers and sly smiles."

"So I have nothing but sympathy for your sister-in-law. Besides if she had faults so great you would have hardly named your daughter after her!"

"Good!"

She was happy that he was in agreement and her cheeks held a slight flush not that he would notice  .....

"Then shall we say that our next meeting it will be your turn? That way neither will feel any obligation and we can just be ourselves."

He placed both their wagers and she nodded towards the River area.

"And how shall you spend your winnings Lord Melville?"

"Do you have something already in mind or shall you set it aside for later?"

"I shall set mine aside - I am looking for a gift for a friend you see."

"And will you attend the Masque on Saturday? We have already had one where the wearing of masks was required."

"I must admit I have given no real thought to it but all my friends are  - they want no doubles you see to interfere with ones chances."

She was making conversation and also giving him an insight to the minds of those of her sex when it came to competition.

"Honestly I much prefer a face to face as it were. Far easier to gage true interest versus for fun or a dare."

Cordelia and the Duchess of Newcastle

“Thank you,” the Duchess said. “I left Margaret and Catherine on the shore with their chaperone. The wanted to see the yachts.”

Lady Lucas had noticed Frances too. “I’m not sure how long they’ve known each other or if this is the first time they’ve spoken.” Her daughter looked quite comfortable with him, though.  She was so much happier these days.

“Margaret is well and I believe she understands what is expected of her now. I don’t know where she got those strange ideas, but I think I know why. With her elder sisters being prepared for marriage and her younger sisters needing more care, my middle daughter wasn't given as much attention, either from me or from her governess. She was always quiet and did well at her lessons, so we both thought that she was thriving when in truth, she felt neglected. I am remedying that now, and she is receiving extra guidance from her governess. Margaret has a keen intellect, but she must learn that there are some things that should not be questioned but accepted and obeyed.”

The Duchess nodded. “I would like that too. While I would prefer her to wed an Earl, a gentleman who is lower in status but enjoys the King’s favor would be advantageous as well.”

Her eyes strayed to her second-born daughter, who was now walking with Lord Melville. “What do you know about Lord Melville, Lady Lucas?”

Eleanor, Dorothea, and Sophia

It seemed as if Sophia was not the only young lady to have impressed Her Majesty during her first season at court. Mistress Bayning must have quite a talent for embroidery. She gazed at the decorations on her gown, which looked as if they had been stitched by a professional. “Your needlework is gorgeous. Perhaps you can give me a few pointers.”

And now she knew why Eleanor was close to the Queen’s dais. She was to speak with one of the Queen’s ladies about meeting with her. The young Countess was happy for her. Maybe she would eventually become a maid of honor. That had been her own dream once, but the choices she had made prevented it from becoming a reality. As a foreigner, she would have had to marry an Englishman to be considered. And in truth, she would rather be the Queen’s friend. She wondered if Lady Dorothea was married to an Englishman or if she had been one of the ladies the Queen had brought with her.

Sophia beamed when the other German said that Her Majesty was eager to see her. “I am honored and I will not keep her waiting.” She assumed that Dorothea would accompany her and was a bit surprised when she stepped back after catching sight of Lord Langdon. Did she have a reason to dislike him too? Considering the look she gave the petite blonde, she didn’t trust him around unmarried ladies. Why? Had he tried to seduce her?

Mistress Bayning admitted that she was alone. “I hope your uncle arrives soon,” she remarked. Sophia preferred not to leave her unaccompanied, but she needed to join the Queen immediately.  "And I look forward to seeing you again, Mistress Bayning." 

Hoping that Lady Dorothea would wait with her, she climbed the few stairs to the dais and  dropped a curtsy to the Queen.

Anne-Elisabeth looking for Davina

There was already quite a crowd on the riverbank when Anne-Elisabeth arrived. Crystal had been hiding again and she had not felt comfortable leaving the room until she knew where the mischievous feline was. She was always afraid that she would slip past her when she opened the door. Now she wished she had not brought her cat to court at all.

She headed toward the place where she had agreed to meet Davina. Her friend would not be able to miss her in her emerald green velvet gown. She could see the sails of the yachts in the distance. Perhaps she wasn't late at all.

Henry arrived very late… and he had no idea whatsoever that he did. One moment he was polishing a lens, and the next his valet was shoving him out the door, after speedily dressing him for the event. The lord was wearing embroidered storm gray  justaucorps and breeches, trimmed with white pearls and silver piping, an embroidered teal waistcoat, and black leather shoes with silver buckles. The ensemble was completed by an ebony walking stick with a cube-shaped silver head. A signet ring and a breast pendant with sapphires, pearls and polychrome enamel set on silver provided the final touch.

Once he arrived, he started looking for Eleanore. At least he had not forgotten that they had agreed to meet there. Where are you, girl?

Sarah and Chatham 

That he was finding things amusing rather than stifling made her happy.

Dark men oft times preferred a Raven to the Dove so she was glad that he had enough sense to explore a softer side.

"Well shall I be allowed to contemplate or must I answer you now?"

"If I answer too readily you might think this was all a device  ...... Or ..."

"If I wait to answer you might think I am not imaginative enough."

She offered him a smile

"You put up quite a challenge indeed."

"Very well."

She halted their movement to face him squarely saying

"Should Buckingham overcome The King then I shall do the same."

"Your example was such a fine one how could I try to outdo it?"

"Agreed?"

She held out her right hand to him and waited.

Since neither really knew the other save for knowledge about Court it was a gamble for them both.

But Sarah was no coward and she did not imagine that the Earl would do anything that would sully her reputation or position.

In fact she was quite curious as to just WHAT he might ask of her.

Was he the same for her?

Sarah and Chatham

"Of course you shall be allowed to think about it," Charles said. "I would like to think it a weighty enough question to deserve some consideration."

He managed to hold a sufficiently pompous, self-important expression for perhaps a second before it dissolved into laughter.

It was an interesting question, though. What would Sarah ask of him, should the Margrave triumph? He was eager to find out. It would say a great deal about her... and about her intentions. Their relationship, such as it was, thus far amounted to conversing with one another at court events, though it had to be admitted that it was very good, very entertaining conversation, as a rule. Was that what Sarah wanted, or would she prefer something closer or deeper or perhaps even more intimate?  

(Charles could honestly say that he would be happy regardless, though he could not deny that it would be gratifying if she did want something more than genteel flirtation, and he was not about to look a gift horse in the mouth should what she asked of him seem to signal as much.)

He nodded firmly, his eye shining with approval as she named her own stake, a mirror of his. It took far more nerve for a lady to make such a wager with a gentleman than vice versa, especially when the gentleman looked (and behaved) like him, and Charles had always and would always appreciate nerve. It did raise a question for him, though — what would he ask of her, should the King lose to Buckingham?

Now that is certainly a weighty enough question to deserve some consideration...

"Agreed," he said, shaking her hand with the appropriate gravity for sealing a solemn wager.

"Now, I assume that you still wish to place monetary wagers as well? And then, I think, we should look to secure a vantage point." 

Frances and Duncan

“Ellen Doolittle is a bright, knowledgeable young lady. I would be very happy if my daughter resembles her when she grows up. As for court gossip, I have come to realize that it is the occupation of envious, petty souls that have nothing better to do… or do not have the ability to do anything else. I have been made aware that wagging tongues say of me that I spend too much, that I am nouveau riche, etc. I just pay no mind to what they say, and act according to my conscience. Perhaps I do push social conventions a little bit, but I am a Scot, I am expected to be a bit uncivilized, no?” Duncan said this last in jest, attempting to lighten the mood.

We can be ourselves… no masks with her then?  The Lowlander could only hope. A lady friend he could share his thoughts with? Was that even possible? Well, Cat was such a friend. Could he have another one? Time would tell. “Next time is on me, agreed”. In a not totally conscious level, the Scot hoped there would be a next time.

”I do not know what I will do with my winnings. When I bet, I consider it money lost. If it returns to me with increase, only then do I think what to do with it. Perhaps a visit to the antique shop? I like to purchase curios, most of which I gift to friends…” Like the Byzantine Cross that ended up being Nessia’s. “A gift for a friend is always a worthy cause to save money for”.

Topic changed to the masque. “I am attending the masque dressed as a Templar Knight”, the Viscount confided. “I have had a helm made of papier mâché, but I am not sure if I will use it or not. What do you think?” The helm could be removed, of course, but it would restrict visibility while wearing it. “You have given it no thought? Well, at least you have heard all of your friends’ ideas, so you will be no one’s double”.

Duncan had a sister, and she had always fussed about her outfits not being too similar to what other young ladies wore so, although he did not understand, at least he was aware of young ladies’ need to be unique.

”I also prefer to see the face. As Shakespeare said, the eyes are the window to the soul. You can see much of a person reflected in their eyes”. It was true. Even in one-to-one combat, you did not look at the feet or the weapon of your opponent. You always looked at the eyes.

Eleanor, Dorothea, and Sophia & CB

"If you wish, remain some moments as I see Lady Toledo to her Majesty." Dorothea returned cheerily to Eleanor, "and we shall make a circuit together while you wait for your Lord Gray."

While some lingered around her Majesty, Dorothea was inclined to the reverse - she was hopeful of seeing Francis perhaps. 

But for now, she joined Sophia alighting the stairs.  "Take all the time you need, my lady." she reached to offer her own steadying arm as Sophia climbed. "While might I comment that I love the patriotism of your attire, your husband must be very pleased." 

Approaching the Queen, Lord Mountjoy hovered between them and their target.  "Milord Marquis," Dorothea bobbed a curtsy, "You must know Lady Toledo, I am sure. She has been invited to approach Her Majesty, but we shall surely need a chair."   

Dorothea said this because such was the competition in that the chairs right next to Karoline were filled!  Sitting there right now was Lady StLeger on one side, Bishop of London on the other.    

"Might you assist?" She gave Charles a pretty smile, then turned to whisper to Sophia, "A moment to catch your breath."  

Eleanor, Dorothea and Sophia leaving

Dorothea was being terribly kind. No doubt she had duties to attend to with regard to Her Majesty, but she offered to take a walk with Eleanor whilst she looked for Lord Grey. "That is very kind of you." She replied warmly, thinking of the other young lady's cheery smile. Yet another charming acquaintance, and one in the Queen's household, no less! Eleanor felt a little thrill at the thought. She was meeting such important people, and why, they were not only friendly but kindly. 

Her Uncle had been terribly kind to her too, especially since he wasn't actually her uncle but some more distant relative. Her mother had called on family ties and he had answered, seemingly without hesitation. Lord Grey made her feel safe, even if he was a little vague at times. But she was accustomed to having guidance and a guardian, and he filled that role for her. She was growing quite fond of him. Hopefully he would be here soon, indeed he might already be here, the crowds were growing rapidly. Eleanor wasn't tall, and she could only watch as the various groups drifted and parted, for some sign. Grey, he'll be wearing grey. 

Well, perhaps she wasn't in too much of a hurry, if it meant that she and Dorothea had a little time to walk and talk. 

Sarah and Chatham 

He held out his hand clearly in approval of what she had said.

Inside she wondered just WHAT she would ask him to do when he lost and the fact that SHE would be asked in return made her a bit nervous.

"Excepted!"

She shook his hand returning his smile.

"Of course! Take us there and then we shall look for that excellent vantage point - I want to clearly see when you lose!"

She enjoyed banter of this kind.

It was all harmless fun usually but this time there was a subtile difference that was created by the rather Rakish man at her side.

She was glad that she was wearing what she was and the fact that it rather mirrored his attire might raise some brows.

And so what? He was not married nor contracted nor was she. 

"What a good day this is turning out to be!"

Said to the breeze as they walked to the betting tent.

Dorothea, and Sophia & Charles Blount

As Mountjoy was hovering Lady Dorothea addressed him explaining that she was escorting Lady Toledo to her Majesty and was kind enough to request his assistance. “Of course, how could it be otherwise.” He said chivalrously bowing to the ladies. “I hope your husband, the Ambassador, is well as I hope you also are. Matters of state must be pressing indeed if he has been forced to forego your company.”

The request for a seat was not surprising for Dorotheia was heavily with child and had proven unaverse to exerting herself when provided the opportunity. He waited a brief second as the appropriate thing would have been for the nearest gentleman to gallantly give up his seat but as that gentleman was a Bishop and the clergy had a predilection for their own eminence no offer was forthcoming. That, or the good Bishop was hard of hearing. Therefore, he took it upon himself to approach and address the clergyman. “Your Grace.” He said leaning to the Bishop of London with an appropriately deferential tone. “Her Majesty has invited Lady Toledo to the dais and wishes to have a few words with her. May I trouble you to relinquish your seat for the Lady.” He gestured to the said and very pregnant lady for emphasis and then held out a hand to assist him to rise discreetly making it more difficult for the bishop to do otherwise. To soften the request and prevent any affront to the bishop’s ego he solicitously added. “Pray, Your Grace, do me the honor of taking my seat.” Technically he did not have a seat so he chose the nearest unoccupied seat.

If his efforts were diplomatic enough to succeed without incident he would gesture to Lady Dorotheia and assist in seeing Lady Toledo carefully seated.              

Sarah and Chatham

They settled their personal wagers and shook on it with all due solemnity. Charles could not help but feel a delicious thrum of anticipation. It was true — stakes, even such small ones, made for excellent spice.

He offered Sarah his arm as they made their way to the betting tent, navigating the thickening crowd with practiced efficiency and as much politeness as was possible. (Which was to say that he still used his elbows, but discreetly, and only when necessary.)

"I had mostly wanted to see Buckingham's face if he lost," he confided, voice a conspiratorial whisper. "I like his Grace a great deal, but those moments where he is reminded that he is mortal are most amusing. Now, of course, I shall have to hope he wins, but at least I shall have some consolation if matters proceed otherwise."

His eye twinkled with merriment, and he could not help but smile broadly with satisfaction at Sarah's exclamation. They were doubtless birthing a rumour or two, with their (nearly) matching ensembles and their obvious good humour, but he had never cared about such things, and Sarah would have told him to keep his decorum and and his distance if she did.

"An excellent day, I agree — good weather, good spectacle, and, most importantly, good company," he said. "Though it must be admitted that the company you have found suffers from an unseemly lack of modesty."

Edited by Charles Audley
Tidying up some clumsy phrasing.

Dorothea, Mountjoy, and Sophia

Sophia felt less guilty about leaving Mistress Bayning when Dorothea offered to help her look for her uncle after she took her to the Queen. Lord Langdon wasn’t the only danger a lady could face on her own. There were plenty of gentlemen who had far fewer scruples than he did. Or so she assumed, for he had never propositioned her or tried to steal a kiss. Other courtiers had been that bold.

For the first time, she noticed the steps that led up to the dais. Of course there were steps. How else did one get up there? Before she became pregnant, she would have ascended them easily. Now they looked positively insurmountable. Not trusting her own balance, she placed one hand on Dorothea’s arm as she began to climb the stairs.

“Thank you, my lady,” she said, both for her assistance and her compliment. Sophia wasn’t sure what she meant by patriotic attire as blue was not a color on the Spanish flag and the style of her gown was English. Perhaps Lady Dorothea meant that she was showing patriotism to England. “My lord husband is, indeed, pleased with me.” And he was, she believed, not because of her attire but because the Queen had invited her to join her today.

By the time she reached the dais, her ankles and knees were aching dreadfully and she desperately needed to sit down. Unfortunately, the chairs on either side of the Queen were occupied. Dorothea saw the problem as well, and asked Lord Mountjoy to find one for her. Though pain shot up her legs, she performed yet another curtsy, managing not to wince.

“Yes, we are both well, my lord, thank you for asking.” Sophia’s lyrical voice was a bit breathless. “I hope that you and your lady wife are also well and enjoying the season. His Excellency is around here somewhere, perhaps making a wager or renewing acquaintances. An Ambassador's work is never done but I hope that he enjoys himself today.”

The Marquess went off to find a chair for her. “You are very kind, my lady,” she said to Dorothea. “Her Majesty is fortunate to have you to attend her.”

Edited by Sophia de la Cerda

Francis with the King's Party

Buckingham had made certain that Francis was dressed appropriately for the splendor after having been rather displeased Francis had worn his more comfortable sailing garb to take the Margrave out for their first trip. The cut of everything was looser, allowing him the full movement that his ship sailing garb might, but it was just as fine as any court costuming. 

He was in a resplendent mint green and deep autumnal red-orange accentuated with gold embroidery. His thick mane of curls had been half plaited so that all of his hair that might have usually been about his face was tamed to the rear under his cavalier style hat and plume, lying like a thick braided rope over the curls covering his neck.

After His Majesty made his speech, Francis made the way toward the small crafts that would take each captain toward their yacht. 

With a grin, he said to Buckingham before they parted, "Good luck, Your Grace..." Then he cheekily added, "It shall be needed against His Majesty and myself."

The King and other captains board their ships.

His Majesty chuckled as Kingston baited his dearest uncle, pleased with the cub for joining the efforts at riling Buckingham before the race. A riled George was not a focused George. That was as he wished it.

The King boarded the small craft lightly and soon all of the participants in the race were on their way to their ships. 

The Margrave's heat was first.

(OOC - the first race shall begin shortly, so get those bets placed!)

Davina meets Anne-Elizabeth

She was LATE

Dress in navy blue brocade with cream lace at neck and elbows she hurriedly made her way to the place they had agreed upon.

"I am so sorry   ...."

She said as she meet her friend.

"Have we time left to wager  ..... Have you seen either of them yet?"

She was out of breath and so questions tumbled over the other.

Sarah and Chatham

Taking his offered arm they began to make their way she was all smiles and caught up in the moment.

It was indeed nice to be on the arm of a Gentleman!

"Yes it is most fortunate about good Company. I find it tiresome many times - do you not agree - when it is not."

"If I wished to partner a man of such means then I have more than enough choices. Bucket loads in fact."

"I much prefer some elements of Surprise."

"And I hardly think 'Modesty' is one of your vanities."

She teased.

He was a quick wit and his replies stimulating and those two things alone she much appreciated.

"Oh look    .... I think things are about to start .....  Have you seen a good spot then ....  It is too much of a press right here  ..... Perhaps we should go higher?"

Frances and Duncan

"I think your assessments of her speak just how highly she is valued."

"I hope that one day I too might have such a person speak of me like that  ..."

"Ah but gossip can be enjoyable as well. If it is not meant as an intentional slight or attack."

"Personally I hear much but place little value on most. I keep my own counsel you see and that, sometimes, causes frustrations with my friends and even family."

"You are hardly 'uncivilized' Lord Melville."

She quietly admonished him back.

"You are far deeper than most realize."

He spoke of his interests and she nodded her own head in agreement.

"Very well. If we are to be friends then we should have a give and take between us."

"You have an interest in curiosities then as well?

"I have heard of a place here in Windsor Town  ...."

"A Knights Templar hmmm  ..... Well I would wear it to begin but if it becomes an impediment then remove it."

"I have indeed been pondering. But your identity has perhaps given me a direction."

She offered no explanation of what it might be, It was after all just an idea forming in her thoughts.

"His words are so True are they not. Yet is it not a funny thing how often that does not really happen?"

"How can Trust be established without actually looking."

It was then that announcements were made and it looked like things were about to begin.

"Shall we look for a good vantage point   ...."

She made them a couple without conscience thought.

Frances and Duncan

Ellen was indeed valued. It was Duncan’s opinion that if she had been a man, she would have made a formidable head of Horizon Ventures. He just did not know Lady Frances enough to voice that thought. “I am certain that soon you will be thought of in such terms, my lady”. Perhaps even by myself, when I know you better.

“Harmless gossip can be enjoyable agreed. Sadly, most of the gossip I have heard at court is not harmless”. A sad truth. “You do well to form your own opinions. The practice tends to make for clearer vision. Family must always be valued and listened to, of course”, he said politely.

At her admonition and compliment, the Viscount smiled. “I will tell you a little secret. I play at embodying stereotypes. Those easily fooled believe the mask is real”. You did not accept it, even when it was said in jest. You are someone who deserves knowing better. “Being your friend would be an honour, my lady”. It would, indeed.

”I like curiosities, yes. In fact, the idea for the costume came from browsing Templar-themed items at a vendor in the circus…” his purchases were to be gifts, so the Lowlander did not mention them. “A shop in town? Hmm… Perhaps you would consider joining me in such an outing?”

Ladies liked their secrets, so the Viscount did not press on what her costume idea was. “I will strive to recognize you at the masque. Perhaps you will give me the honour of a dance if I do?”

”Trust can only come from knowledge. Knowledge may start with the eyes, yes, but it needs words and deeds to follow if it is to truly grow. A face may be fair or handsome, but external beauty eventually fades. Inner beauty, on the other hand, tends to grow with time…” His dead wife had spoiled him in that respect. Duncan had learned to value character.

Her words felt so natural that the Scot did not give any thought. Darting his eyes here and there he sought a good vantage point, and found one nearby. “There, that looks like a good spot. Shall we?”

Sarah and Chatham

"'No food is so satisfying as good company,'" Charles quoted. "I can never remember which philosopher said that, but he was undoubtedly right, and as a corollary I would add that even the blandest food is preferable to bland company, and even the worst food less likely to ruin an occasion than bad company."

He grinned.

"And so you and I are fortunate indeed to have good company today, when, as you say, court has such a surfeit of the bland, the boring, the dull, and the doltish."

Sarah's teasing only widened his grin.

"I confess that you are entirely correct — I am not just immodest, but proudly, immodestly immodest, for I have long considered modesty a virtue only in those who have much to be modest about. I do not think I number among such people, and with them I prefer not to associate."

There was a compliment in that little concoction of self-aggrandizement, and it was probably the most subtle compliment he had paid in some time.

Which is deeply revelatory of my attitude to subtlety...

"I think I see a gap a little upriver," he said, discreetly introducing his elbow to the kidney of a rotund gentleman in a gentle encouragement to cease blocking the flow of foot traffic, and slipping past before that gentleman had the chance to dispute the use of the word 'gentle.'

Cordelia and the Duchess of Newcastle 

"Yes those children in the middle oft times cause mishaps but if checked early enough will soon learn to not repeat."

"Perhaps that is so with Lady Margaret as you say. I applaud your sense of Guidance in the tellings of how the Real World will operate."

"As we two have learned with Time now she must also learn. It is not an easy thing."

"She is much like a young filly where pressure is applied to train but also needing a gentle hand as well. I think that she has promise and once calmed that will blossom."

"As for Lord Melville  ....." She looked in that direction.

"You probably know far more Your Grace. I know what I have heard - that his wife has died leaving a child, a daughter, of some two years; that he has Business with his Father-in-law which no doubt provides a good side income; a Title albeit a Scottish one but that seems to hold no bad repute here in the English Court. If a match were arranged I think His Majesty would approve. And if Lady Frances is 'happy' with that arrangement then it should be done as soon as is Polite."

"He is an eligible Your Grace and so if there is interest on your part he must be caught before some other Family dangles bait that proves too tempting to refuse."

"And since this child is a daughter there is no real impediment. A son born of them will inherit. She can mother the first as she sees fit but will naturally cherish her own first."

"For now let her continue to establish a connection."

"A daughter as a Duchess and the second as a Viscountess is commendable."

"But if an Earl expresses an interest we must consider as well. I do not think it fair to expect her to settle for anything below Melville's Rank."

"Lady Margaret is altogether different. As we have previously agreed."

"If she can mature and outgrow most of her bad qualities that will make it easier on us - for a match with a second or third son that is within ...... say 6 years of her own age ..... is not unattainable."

"If she can not be tamed and brought to heel then we shall have to widen that age difference. A older man with a firm grip and manner. Perhaps even a widower like Lord Melville."

"There must be several I should imagine that reside outside of London who are good families with qualifications and prosperity that can be searched out."

"And will be only too happy to align themselves with the Cavendish name."

"And the Duke might well look with favor on the idea of widening his holdings and adding to his Estate."

"But as we have agreed first Frances then Margaret."

"Will you wager Your Grace?"

She herself had sent her servant to place her own and knew that the Duchess would do that as well.

To be seen placing a wager, in Public, on their own was a thing just not done.

The Earl of Langdon continued surveying the crowd as he expected to be joined by Beverley soon enough.  Davina was a late arrival.  His eye followed her movement.  Darlene was nowhere to be seen.  That was probably for the better.  Susan was with the Queen and Sam was leading a patrol across the river.  

He noted the arrival of the Italians.  He had spent a full afternoon with Maria and her family, so he did not feel the need for a further encounter unless they were having trouble meeting English courtiers.  Eleanor might help them in that regard.

The first heat was set to begin, so Charles moved to the betting booth.  "Five pounds on His Highness the Duke of York."  York had been the Admiral of the English Fleet at one time.  Surely he and his crew would defeat a German prince who had no naval experience, as far as Charles knew.  Since the rolls were kept, it was critical to be seen as wagering on someone to whom a favor was owed.  The Prince had a high enough ego that he might choose to examine the list of bettors that had chosen him.

Sarah and Chatham 

"But you must also understand that my manner is not always as you see today."

"You say you do not possess it as a virtue but I do. For how could I not?"

"Your opinion of me is one that I want to cultivate. That I have many sides the same as you".

"Today's is a freer side."

"Of the other sides to me   ..... One must not give away everything all at once!"

Her eyes met his one and he would read amusement in hers as well.

She would take his complement as it was given.

"I enjoy a sharp mind and wit. It is rare to discover a Gentleman that has both."

"I suspect that hidden somewhere underneath all the frivolity is indeed a man who is modest despite your claims to convince me otherwise."

"Perhaps it is just waiting to be discovered?"

He then maneuvered them thru the crowds with no hesitation pointing out a spot he had found.

"Yes I think it will be a good spot. High enough to see the boats and any miscalculations by either."

"The wind will either help or hinder but that also adds excitement."

"I do hope you have wagered with that in mind."

They soon took the spot ready for the first race to begin.

Eleanor approaching Henry

There he was! It was the grey, amongst so many colourful peacocks. Quite useful really. 

Eleanor was torn. Dorothea had said that if she waited the two of them might take a turn about the area together, and she would have loved that. But she had just caught sight of her uncle, looking through the crowds in a way that suggested he was seeking for her, and Dorothea seemed to be caught up with the activity amongst the Queen's ladies. What to do? She remembered a piece of advice her father had given her once, when he was musing on some matter of their estates. Sometimes it doesn't matter what you do, as long as you do something. Well, she could either stay and wait for Dorothea and however long she might be busy, or she could go to her uncle and hope to catch up with the other girl later.

With a silent apology to the Queen's lady, Eleanor left the vicinity of the Royal seating and headed in the direction of the natty grey outfit, her chaperone Mary at her heels. "There you are Uncle!" She exclaimed warmly with a winsome smile. "I do like that waistcoat." The splash of colour really offset his whole outfit. "Are you well today?" She asked, hoping he'd had a good sleep and remembered to eat something. 

As the two stood there, a fan blew between two other courtiers and landed at their feet. "Oh." Eleanor said, looking down at it. 

Eleanore and Henry

Lord Grey smiled genuinely as Eleanore approached. “Please forgive my being late. I was working on an eyepiece, and fitting it was harder than I anticipated…” he realized that the technical details were unnecessary. “But here I am, and so glad to see you!”

Her words about his waistcoat made him smile. “I used to dress in muted earth colours, but Mr. Masoniere, my tailor, looked at me horrified. Gray and other somber colours are fine, but they need a contrasting colour, he says”. That, plus silver, pearls, ivory, and other accents.

”I am fine, thank you for asking. And Reginald has been making sure that I eat and sleep as much as I should. I must say that my mind feels more alert when I do, so I have stopped grumbling…” between Eleanore and his valet, some semblance of structure was entering the Baron’s life.

Then, a fan. Henry bent down and picked it up, cleaning it with his handkerchief if if had picked up any dirt. “I wonder who the owner is?” He asked as he looked around.

Ellen and Douglas 

"It's possible."

She replied to his comments about Kingston.

"Five pounds a Race then? Accepted."

She smiled her answer back up at him.

"Yes those three shall fall to you."

"Poems? Well I am not really that well practiced save for the ones that I have memorized.  .... But very well. I shall Brave it out!"

Wagers were soon placed and she took a minute before her monies were handed over adding

"I wonder if this wind will have an impact  ..... No I shall keep as said."

She then handed her coins over to him to place her bets.

He then asked her about Business.

"I have long tried to get him to see the Benefits but as of now  ...."

Her sigh would tell him of her frustrations.

"When he was ill and thought not to recover it was I that took to hand everything related to Business. I have in fact been keeping accounts for years as well as running his household. My older sister married Lord Melville and went to Scotland. She died very recently and now her daughter is motherless. She is named after me did you know? My younger sister Natalie is just out of the schoolroom. I thought to try to add voice to expanding and even tho I am so well known to all the Merchants they had no time for me dismissing me out of hand. It is because I am a woman naturally. This is ridiculous! They all now how involved I am with helping my father but the 'idea' of actually doing it scared them."

"But he recovered and I was chastised and reminded of 'my place'."

"So as of now my answer must be no. But if Lords Melville or Kingston were to put forth the idea it would no doubt be met with much Praise."

"How Lucky you are born a man."

"Shall we look for a viewing spot? The walk will help to reduce my temper!"

She teased but it was all true.