JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Charity Begins at Church (Dec. 26 Morn)- Xmas 1677

Blackguard

Beverleys

"Hmm, I do not know if I have acquaintance strongly with any you do not know, my lady," he replied. "You met Mistress Wellesley, she was at our wedding, and there is of course Lord Basildon's sister, who you know."

He knew Captain Herbert better than he knew Lady Susan, and that was only because Herbert was a naval officer.

Without his father's coin, he had no hope of garnering any attention by making any sorts of donations. He was having a difficult enough time keeping up appearances and trying for it not to be obvious to all of court that he and his father were on the outs. His father hated gossip.

"I thought you had met some of them at Windsor..." he trailed off, thinking of how best to come up with a different approach.

Beverley was not observant enough to see Arlington heading their way, only checking the area immediately around them as he spoke to Mary. Instead of surveying the chapel, he replied to his wife. "Donations for the charities obviously would not hurt." It went unspoken that was rather out of the question. He had no way to honor it without volunteering his father's money, and while he was sure his father would honor it rather than lose face, even Beverley was not so poorly behaved.

"Perhaps doing some good works yourself," he said. What a lady could do, he had no idea. He was far removed from understanding any of that sphere.

His father had made him do the particular alms-giving duties more than once on Sundays, everything from old soldiers to paying to get families out of Fleet Street. He had never really fancied it at seventeen. It had grown on him.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beverley

The Earl of Arlington continued to wind his way through the crowd, nott an easy feat for a large man. After a number of apologies to courtiers touched along the way, he came to the front of the young couple. He used his white staff to advantage to create gaps in the crowd as needed.

Meanwhile, Mary nodded as Robert recounted her introductions with Davina and Lucy. She hoped to improve upon them in the coming days. Talk of charity seemed a good idea for a proper young lady at court. She nodded her agreement readily. There was little time to say much else before the Royal Chamberlain encountered them.

"Happy Sabbath Lord and Lady Beverley," Arlington declared dramatically. "I come bearing joyous news." He paused to play up the suspense, looking for eager smiles.

"I have found you quarters in the palace, not far from Prince Rupert's suite," he began. "It is not much but HIs Highness assured me that you would be grateful nonetheless." He did not let on whether he knew about the disagreement with Brooke. Rather, he pretended that it was perfectly normal for Beverley to need a room.

"The palace is crowded, so it was the best I could do under the circumstances. It is one room with furnishings, with an attached baggage room that could accommodate a pair of servants tightly. The room is ready now and I could arrange for servants to help with your baggae if you wish."

All

Dorset met Newcastle halfway. They spoke but briefly and then Dorset looked towards Francis There was a face he had not seen in a while. With a smile, he moved towards the King's newest gentleman.

Peregrine and Bridget Osbourne took to their feet, most people ignoring them pointedly, and they began to move slowly towards the exit. The rest of the crowd began to follow suit.

Davina Departing Charles and Company

The ruse seemed to work! He would chide Davina later in private for being so reckless in front of Catherine, but all seemed well. It also appeared that Davina was as eager as himself. He fought a smile as he thought of it. He had also avoided spending a fortune on the mere moment of lighting a candle.

The previous night had been the ball and Charles had gone home with Catherine and they'd been at Hot-Cockles all evening, leaving him spent and hollow. Yet, here he was the very next morning thinking of intimacy on the morrow with his other lover. Sunday, it would seem, was to be his day of rest after all.

It will be large quantities of meat and mead for me today. That was his prescription for restoring his sexual reservoir for the following morning. "Let us go outside and enjoy a bit of sun," he encouraged Catherine and his family. He looked to see if Catherine planned to follow.

He had nodded towards the McBains as they left. He nodded towards the Beverleys, but they seemed busy with Arlington. There were holiday greetings given aplenty to all those they passed on the way to the exit.

Sophia and Ursula

“Danke,” she replied to the confirmation as to where she and Esteban should go. Sophia had been in the Queen's Presence Chamber a couple of times. There were usually quite a few people there, but they did not need privacy to make a donation.

Privacy was required for the other issue, though. The young Baroness took a step closer to Lady Mountjoy so that no one else would be able to hear them. “Yesterday I went to the Bethlehem Star Hospital, hoping to sing for the patients and to bring them a bit of cheer.

“I was not allowed to see the patients at all, and something seemed wrong about the warden's attitude. It was if he was hiding something. His office was decorated much too lavishly for one in his position. I am afraid that he is using the donations given to the hospital to pad his own pockets. The patients could be neglected or abused. Some of them might not even be insane.

“I wish to do some more investigating. If I have Her Majesty's approval to visit and sing for the patients, it will make my task much easier and certainly more effective.”

Beverleys & Arlington

Beverley was almost startled by Arlington's arrival.

"Happy Sabbath, my lord," Beverley greeted, with a dip of his shoulders.

"Ah, joyous news is always welcome." He smiled in his boyish way. "As are the bearers of such."

Thankfully, court small talk was his forte. Ask him to spontaneously speak meaningfully to a man like Arlington and he'd probably stutter away.

When the news came out, he realized that he likely should have put two and two together, but the smile widened some and he looked down at his barely matured wife warmly for a moment.

"That is most good news, my lord. Thank you for seeing to the matter during such a busy time at court, we are v-very grateful." For a hitch he wondered if he should leave some form of explanation. He doubted his master would have aired his dirty laundry, but rumours could easily have done so too. "With the talk and potential preparations, erm, it is easiest if I am at the ready for His Highness. He is accustomed to such easy access at Windsor."

The movement of his eyes as he spoke probably gave away it was not the whole story or at least that he was making careful not to say much or anything that could bite him later.

Dorset & Francis, aka More Blonds

"Good morning, cousin," he greeted with the brief politeness of a short bow. "Talking of horseflesh with His Grace?"

He cast his blue eyes toward the retreating figure of Newcastle, thinking it the obvious answer.

"What might you be looking to buy this holiday season?"

If he only knew it was shopping for a wife!

Sophia

Ursula listened to Sophia's summary. "You are suggesting that the hospital manager is embezzling monies?" Even if true, it seemed an odd thing for a lady like Sophia to care about. "It is far too dangerous for you to go back Lady Toledo. I shall ask the Queen to send someone else to investigate," she suggested instead. James Winchester might be such a person.

"You should turn your singing to other hospitals," she suggested. "Ones where you would be welcome, such as Chelsea."

Beverley

"Yes, yes," assured the older man. "The Prince was quite emphatic that he needed you nearby." No need to make the lad uncomfortable.

"Do you plan to move in later today? I can have servants assist you if you wish."

Francis

"Aye, the Duke has a mare he would like to discuss with me," Dorset replied with a smile. "He's not sure if he wants to part with her to me and I am not sure that I want her. Sadly, he will not let me try her out or break her in." He found himself chuckling at the private joke. "I not so sure I need another horse. The last one I got rid of was a nag."

"What of you? I heard you are attending the King these days. It means you are scouting game for him no doubt. Any promising quarry?"

Davina

"There you are," Richard exclaimed as she moved from the church in the company of her lady companions. Baintree had been tipped off about the candle plot and he had hidden until well into the service so that his sister would not collar him to purchase a candle for the Queen.

"I need to speak with you." His voice sounded urgent. "Walk with me sister," he urged as he moved to go outdoors with her.

Charles and Catherine

Catherine bid Mistress Wellsley good-bye, watching Charles closely to see if his eyes followed her departing figure. If he found her attractive, he didn't show it. Nor had Davina shown any interest in him, which wasn't surprising. The Queen's ladies were most likely as prudish as their mistress. Poor things, doomed to be sexually repressed forever, probably even in marriage.

“Yes, it is rather stuffy in here.” Catherine agreed when he suggested that they go outside. As the group moved toward the door, she noticed that Charles glanced toward the MacBains. It wasn't Mistress Wellsley she needed to worry about. It was Fiona MacBain. She had seen Charles dancing with her at the ball and had noticed the way she kept looking toward him afterward.

Even now, the young Scot smiled at him. Catherine glared at her and Fiona gave her such a sickeningly sweet smile that she wanted to slap it right off her face. She was glad when Charles led them out onto the lawn. “So where is the Queen going that she needs the protection of the Life Guards?” she asked him.

Sophia and Ursula

Sophia was a very compassionate young lady and didn't like to think of anyone being mistreated. Even the insane deserved to be treated with kindness and respect. “I am not certain, but I believe that something suspicious is going on. He did not just keep the patients from me. He had his employees pretend that they were patients so that I would be fooled. But I recognized one of them. I rather doubt he has a mad twin brother.”

No matter what Lady Mountjoy said, the petite blonde did intend to go back. She didn't like the situation being taken out of her hands, but it was more important for the patients to get justice than for her to bring it to them. If the Queen send somebody to investigate, then when she and Lord Dundarg returned, they might actually be able to interact with the residents and her singing could bring them cheer.

“I plan on visiting the Chelsea hospital tomorrow.” She didn't mention with whom. Lady Alyth was understandably unpopular with the Queen. “Will you tell me how the investigation progresses? I feel so sorry for those poor unfortunate souls, and when it is safe, I would still like to sing for them. I do not think anyone visits them at all or somebody would have already discovered the warden's deception."

The Basildon Clan

Accepting well wishes for his display of charity, Basildon was in a festive spirit. Exchanging light banter with Noni and James, he turned to Nicolette to take up the reins and charm the French petite princess. The two could become fast friends.

He suggested that they and the Somersets move outside the chapel, though pausing to wish the King and Queen a Happy Christmas. The other party that he sought was the Royal Chancellor. He was part of the family and was owed a holiday greeting as well.

The Merry Gang

Charles smiled and nodded.

"Subtlety, I fear, is not a German trait."

Despite never having met her, Charles had conceived a great dislike of and strong contempt for the Queen. That was rather rare for him. His hatreds tended to be focused and personal, lovingly tended to, almost prized possessions. It cheapened the whole concept to dislike one he had never spoken with.

Fortunately, there was distraction readily at hand as the suggestion of a smoke was readily agreed to.

"Well, in deference to Rochester's fragility, let us remain indoors. I shall have to be guided by you gentlemen, new arrival that I am. But I am certain that you know all the most desirable nooks and crannies in Whitehall. Shall we?"

Basildon's Clan

Nicolette & Noni led the way outside, and as Basildon paused to receive some more compliments on his charitable contribution, he might catch sight of the Lord Chancellor heading down the aisle in his direction.

(OOC - I'm going to move them for you until Nicolette is back)

Kingston & Dorset

"Not sure he wishes to part with her but is still that interested in talking of the sale? Is His Grace in need of coin?" Francis asked, chuckling, as if such a thing surely could not be true.

"Better you than me, anyway." Kingston was not going to be winning any horse races any time soon. There were a few things he fell well short of his Villiers blood in, lest any forget. His friends all knew he was only an average rider. There was no riding on ships.

"It does seem unsporting that he won't let you ride her first." Then again his horse buying acumen was also limited in England.

"As we speak, in fact," Francis replied, though the King was otherwise occupied with well-wishers, leaving his duties minimal for the moment. "There's never a short supply of ladies interested in His Majesty, but there are not always that many with the necessary skills, as you well know." Finding a fuck was easy. Finding anything more than that, anything useful, was not going to happen in just a few fortnights, some of which had been spent in Windsor with the Queen. Not even Francis was that talented at scouting.

Sophia

"What do you think he is hiding?" Ursula asked bluntly. "That he has no patients?" It seemed an odd state of affairs but she was already wondering whether it was worthy of the Queen's attention.

"You should bring a gentleman with you Lady Toledo," Lady Mountjoy advised. "If you suspect something amiss, you should remember to do nothing but report your suspicions to the Sheriff or myself." It would create quite an unpleasant scene if Sophia attempted something on her own.

The Merry Gang

There was no dispute over the subtlety of the Germans. Even Prince Rupert seemed loathe to employ it.

"The King's wine cellar," Rochester volunteered. It was an occasional meeting place of the Gang, so the location came to him readily. The suggestion was met with nods. The smoke would weigh heavily in confined areas, but there was ample testimonials that smoke was good for one's health.

"Fine with me," Roos declared as Sedley nodded his head in agreement. Merriweather seemed less excited. "I will catch up with you," he pledged.

Francis

"This one is going to cost him a fair amount of coin," Dorset muttered cryptically, which was counter-intuitive to a sale. He then offered a pleased smile, thinking of what the dowry might be and whether it was the right move. Newcastle had not even broached the subject until Charles had become Earl of Dorset as well as Middlesex. That whole affair with Heather O'Roarke had set back any conversations.

"Yes, unsporting indeed," Sackville laughed, finding Kingston's ignorance of the true topic to be especially entertaining. Letting the subject drop, he shifted to the King's latest conquests. "what about that former ward of yours?" he whispered. By that he meant Sophia. He had a 100 pound wager on her with Rochester.

The MacBain Clan

Someone – Douglas couldn’t work out who it was – complimented the little group as they exited. The corners of the big man’s full lips turned up in a faint smile. Yes, that was what they needed to be, a ‘lovely family’. Let people remember that and forget other things.

The suggestion of a picnic went down well, all three girls actually agreeing on something which in itself was a minor miracle; even Shona looked happy about the prospect. Good; something simple and enjoyable would be just the ticket, and it would get them all out of the house so that Cat could have some time to herself.

He had to hide his amusement as Fiona feigned disinterest. “Ye dinnae hae tae cam if ye dinnae want tae.” He assured her, the image of seriousness. “I used tae stay at the Lion, likely thairs other young Lairds do the same, an’ the food is insanely guid. But I un’erstand if ye dinnae want tae be seen in an Inn.”* He said, the image of the compassionate brother. It was of course the best Inn in London and frequented by the well to do. He quirked an eyebrow at Shona, who was standing on the opposite side of him from Fiona. Douglas didn’t doubt that the elder sister wanted to go.

“Noo, I need yer help lassies, fer ocht important fer aw o’ us.” He told the girls in conspiratorial tones. “I’m giein’ tae intraeduce ye tae a pair in a minute, an’ tis verra important that yer polite an’ friendly tae them.” His tone was completely serious. “This is political, an’ I weel hexplain later.”** He promised.

Glancing towards the Chapel’s doors, Douglas’s blue eyes watched for the Osbornes.

Subtitles

* “You don’t have to come if you don’t want to. I used to stay at the Lion, likely there’s other young Lord do the same, and the food is insanely good. But I understand if you don’t want to be seen in an Inn.”

** “Now, I need your help for something important for all of us. I’m going to introduce you to a pair in a minute, and it’s very important that you’re polite and friendly to them. This is political, and I will explain later.”

James in the Cavendish Corner

“I am honoured, my Lords.” James bowed politely as Lord Cavendish introduced himself and the men around him, and listened as the man described the Earl’s symptoms, which suggesting that such was normal. James was quite aware that such was not, but he gave an understanding nod. “Of course.” John’s additional comment reinforced the idea that what the family valued most was discretion.

As the men spoke, James's critical gaze fell on the coughing man, roaming over his skin, his eyes. Was he pale or flushed? Was there any discolouration to the whites of the eyes? Subtle signs that could aid in diagnosis.

Unaware that the man would be a future lunch companion, James met Lord Maldon’s gaze for a moment. “I shall send something along.” He promised the man quietly. Then, a little more loudly, “I trust it passes quickly. A good day and a bright Sabbath, my Lords.” The little man bowed politely and left the family to their business.

James rejoining the Basildons

There was a fair crush of people heading for the door but eventually James made it outside into the weak, winter sunshine, sighting the striking form of the Earl and the ladies who surrounded him.

“I do apologise for disappearing on you all.” The Baron said mildly as he rejoined them. “A calling is a terrible thing.” He added self-deprecatingly. And for him medicine was not just a job, not just a profession, but a true calling. Rare perhaps amongst those at court, he truly cared for others. He’d been pleased to see that Basildon did also, to judge by the lighting of the Candles.

The MacBain Clan

Fiona smiled at Charles when he looked their way. The lady he was with glared at him and she smiled at her with a sardonic sweetness. So that was the woman who was rumored to be his mistress? She was rather plain. Whatever did he see in her? Ah well, once he had sampled Fiona's charms (while not under the influence of spiked punch), he would dump that homely bitch and never look back.

“Hmmm?” Her brother's words finally registered in her mind, and she blinked to bring her thoughts back to where they should be. “I said I'll go, Dougie.” She smiled mischievously. “Perhaps I should disguise myself so I won't be recognized. I could really pretend to be your date.” Hanging all over him and acting like she was infatuated him would be quite amusing.

She raised an eyebrow when he told his sisters that he needed their help with something political that was important to all of them. What did he mean by that? Fiona hoped that he wasn't going to introduce them to some lady he wished to wed. Her politeness only went so far.

“We will be,” she promised. Glancing over at her sisters, she added: “Won't we?” Both Shona and Aileen nodded. Shona never knew what to say to new acquaintances, but she would let Douglas and Fiona do the talking. Aileen eyed the snow on the ground. Oh, how she longed to make a snowball and throw it at somebody.

Sophia and Ursula

“There are patients. Of that I am certain. But there is some reason he doesn't want anyone to see them. They could be either neglected or abused. Or he could be accepting bribes from people to declare troublesome relatives insane and lock them up so that they don't have to deal with them anymore. It would be a good way to get rid of a parent who won't relinquish your inheritance. Or a wife who embarrasses you in some way.”

Sophia had no experience with such things, but she read a lot of novels.

“I will not go alone. I will bring a guard with me.” The guard who would accompany her would be Lord Dundarg and not the one that Esteban had hired. She trusted Karl, but she trusted Douglas more. He had promised to always protect her.

“I will tell you if I discover anything that seems questionable.” She didn't know if the Sheriff would take a sixteen-year-old girl's suspicions seriously, even though she was the wife of an Ambassador. “And please let me know when it is safe for me to return. I am hoping that my singing will be able to calm the patients.”

The MacBain Clan

The mental image of Fiona disguising herself to attend the dinner with him was amusing, for a moment. “Och aye, an’ hoo weel ye do that? Chop yer legs of at the knees?”* He teased her mildly, brother’s prerogative. She had the MacBain height which was hard to disguise, though it could be very useful. She also had the MacBain looks – well, the good female looks anyway, his sharp features didn’t count – and they too could be very useful.

Douglas had promised to explain about the politics involved, and it was one reason for arranging their little outing together tomorrow. Even the younger girls could begin to appreciate the waters in which they, and the whole of court, swam. It was that which was one his mind, for he saw an opportunity, and so it might have surprised Fiona if she knew that despite what he’d told Lady Lucas, he had no particular interest in marrying Brigit Osborne. At least no more than he had in marrying any wealthy, politically connected lady. Rather, she was a means to an end.

The younger girls nodded and Fiona assured him of her aid, causing the big man to grin broadly at the three of them. “I kent I cuid coont on ye.” He told them, feeling in that moment the strength that came from family. “The young Lairdy particularly weel be lonely.” He added, looking at Fiona. “I’m sure she cuid use a friend.”** He added. Hopefully she would take the hint, and trust her brother this much.

Bearing down on the Osbornes

And there they were, exiting the church amongst a mass of people who never the less endeavoured to avoid the pair as much as possible, not even looking in their direction. Beautiful timing.

“Laird Osborne; a guid morning tae ye this Sabbath.”*** Douglas greeted the pair as they drew close, a warm smile on his gaunt features, confident that it would be a stark contrast to the studied indifference around them.

Subtitles

* “Oh yes, and how will you do that? Chop your legs off at the knees?”

** “I knew I could count on you. The young Lady particularly will be lonely. I’m sure she could use a friend.”

*** “Lord Osborne; a good morning to you this Sabbath.”

The Merry Gang

"Wine cellar?" Charles grinned with just a hint of wolf. "Sounds capital."

Merriweather's reluctance to leave, coupled with his earlier comment, painted a fairly clear picture for Charles. He gave the older man a nod.

"Good hunting."

Returning his attention to the others, Charles gestured to the door.

"Well, lead on gentlemen, before her majesty thinks to ask us to contribute to a widows and orphans' fund or some such."

The MacBain Clan joining the Osbornes

“We MacBains aren't the only tall ladies at court. I saw one at the ball last night who was probably taller than all of us.” The lady in question had been beautiful and regal and had eyed the gentlemen in much the same way Fiona had. Fiona had never seen her before so she must be new to court. That was one woman she didn't want anywhere near her brother. “I could wear a blonde wig. Then I would look like somebody else.”

The lady would be lonely and needed a friend? Was she so ugly that no one could stand to look at her or so stupid she couldn't speak coherently? Fiona just smiled at Doug and didn't commit to anything. She was rather picky when it came to lady friends.

When he led them over to a pair that everyone else was avoiding, she understood. They were out of favor for some reason. What was Douglas trying to do … insure that no Dukes were interested in marrying her? She should be shunning them too if she wanted to be popular at court. But she had promised that she would be nice, so she stood beside him and smiled thinly when he greeted them.

Shona and Aileen smiled more genuinely.

Sophia

"Lady Toledo, I still think it unwise of you to go," Ursula restated, now becoming more certain of it. "You are a foreigner married to a foreigner. You have no right to tell an Englishman what to do. They could cast you out and treat you poorly. They would not do so if an Englishman were to inquire on behalf of the Queen." Already she was thinking that Lord Wentwood would be the perfect candidate.

Davina

As the Queen's maid thought to move off with friends, she would see her brother Richard approaching. Davina might not have seen him earlier because he had been mostly hiding from his sister when he had been tipped off that she was soliciting donations from the Queen.

Baintree called out, "sister. A moment please."

Douglas

Peregrine exited chapel in the company of his sister. They were not finding overly friendly well-wishers as they had last season. Peregrine seemed amused while Bridget bravely soldier on pretending that nothing was amiss.

It was then that Peregrine walked her by some friendly Scots. Bridget was polite enough to stop and exchange greetings. In different circumstances she might have been less attentive to the likes of the McBains. Danby's daughter observed the abnormally tall Scottish baron and the ducklings that seemed trail after him.

"And a happy Sabbath to you Lord Dundarg. I see you are in the company of the flower of your clan this morning. Ladies, this is my sister Bridget. "A happy Sabbath to you all," Bridget replied, ready to move on and escape the awkward church service.

Merry Gang

Merriweather gave Charles a grateful smile and moved after the Danby siblings and observed the McBain siblings from a small distance.

Rochester, Sedley and Roos joined Audley in walking through the crowd en route to the wine cellars.

OOC~ Feel free to start a new thread there.

The MacBains and the Osbornes

“Yer beautifu’ jus’ as ye are Fee.” Douglas assured his sister with a warm smile, endeavouring to keep the weariness out of his voice. It was still all games to her, silly games, and she didn’t realise what was at stake. Tomorrow he’d try to explain it to her. She had to grow up sometime.

The Osbornes returned the greeting politely, and Douglas maintained the air of genial affability. “Indeed, thou’ I fear we’ll be spoiled wi’ the comp’ny o’ sae mony beautiful lairdies.” He replied, with a tip of his hat to Brigit. “Alloo me tae present Lairdy Fiona MacBain, Viscoontess Lochend, Lairdy Shona an’ Lairdy Aileen.”** He gestured to the girls in decending age.

Introductions having been made, Douglas turned his attention to Peregine’s sister, who was already looking beyond them, probably for some excuse to move on. “Lairdy Brigit, I was speakin’ wi’ yer brothair at the Ball aboot a dinner bein’ held at the Red Lion taemorrer nicht. The cook is sayed tae be the finest in London.” He talked it up. “Fiona an’ I er attendin’, an’ I was hopin’ yersel’ an’ yer Laird brother wuid brichten the e’en by giein’ us the pleasure o’ yer comp’ny.”***

As he spoke he glanced across at Fiona, looking for her to back him up. Peregine was a handsome devil and a Libertine, surely she could put up with Brigit to spend time with him.

Subtitles

* “You’re beautiful just as you are Fee.”

** “Indeed, though I fearweI’ll be spoiled with the company of so many beautiful ladies. Allow me to present Lady Fiona MacBain, Viscountess Lochend, Lady Shona and Lady Aileen.”

*** “Lady Brigit, I was speaking with your brother at the Ball about a dinner being held at the Red Lion tomorrow night. The cook is said to be the finest in London. Fiona and I are attending, and I was hoping yourself and your Lord brother would brighten out evening by giving us the pleasure of your company.”

The MacBains and Osbornes

Why was Douglas so against her going to the dinner in disguise? Didn't he like the idea of having a beautiful and mysterious date? She could pretend she was a foreign Duchess. No, if a Duchess was interested in her brother, then other ladies might be too. Perhaps she could be a commoner instead. She had no idea how she could come up with a wig on such short notice, but there must be a store in London that sold them. They probably mainly catered to gentlemen but surely some ladies wore wigs too.

Lord Osborne was rather handsome. She had heard the name before, but she couldn't quite place it. Eventually, she would remember and then maybe she would be able to figure out why everyone was giving them a wide berth. When they were introduced, all three girls curtsied and murmured variations on “Happy Sabbath” and “It's nice to meet you.” Aileen smiled mischievously and Shona blushed.

Fiona narrowed her eyes when Douglas spoke to Bridget, inviting both her and her brother to join them at the dinner tomorrow. Had that been his plan all along? Had he asked her to go with him so the lady wouldn't feel uncomfortable accompanied only by gentlemen? Did Doug fancy her? Fiona felt that she was being used.

However, she could use Doug as well. She wouldn't mind getting to know Peregrine better and perhaps she could charm him into believing that her brother would not be a good match for his sister. Fiona smiled at Bridget with all the graciousness she could muster. “I do hope you will join us.”

Sophia and Ursula

Had Ursula forgotten that she was the wife of an Ambassador? If she was treated poorly, an entire country would be insulted, which could lead to serious repercussions. However, she didn't plan on telling the warden what to do. Lord Dundarg would have that honor. No one in their right mind would refuse the orders of a Life Guard.

“Perhaps you're right,” Sophia conceded, although it was just a pretense. Lady Mountjoy should understand better than most people at court that Germans were inherently stubborn and never gave up once they set their mind to something. "Do you think the Queen will send someone to look into the situation soon?"

She still planned on going back with Douglas. By the time the Queen chose somebody to conduct the investigation, they might have more information. Sophia rather doubted Bedlam was high on the list of Her Majesty's priorities. She had her own charities to support.

Douglas

Bridget noticed Fiona's eyes narrow as the Scottish beauty looked her way. Danby's daughter, hypersensitive to rebuke these days, narrowed her own in return. Somewhere, in the distance, a cat might be heard to hiss.

How dare a slut like you judge your betters? In that moment, Bridget was certain that she despised Douglas' sister. It did not help that Bridget was not very attractive and Fiona was a beauty. Ladies of quality were made to suffer the attentions gentlemen bestowed on pretty lightskirts. The fact that Fiona had some title to some rock at land's end of Scotland did not matter a whit to Peregrine's sister.

"Eat ... at an inn?" Bridget replied to Douglas as if the very concept was foreign to her. One ate at inns when one traveled. One did not eat amongst dirty commoners when one was in London and had a fine house. "Monday evenings are bad for me," she declined politely.

Peregrine had a different view of Fiona. Now there's a gal that needs a swiving, and badly. He had a knowing smile as his sister declined. He knew she would. "I suppose it shall be the three of us then," Peregrine announced while eyeing Fiona.

Bridget was not surprised by her brother's lack of gallantry. He was the bane of the rest of the family. "I suppose so," Bridget added, ready to move on. She would talk her brother out of attending later.

Sophia

Commoners did not always observe the niceties of diplomatic immunity. It was one of the reasons that worried Ursula. If this outing sparked an incident between the two kingdoms and the Queen was linked somehow ... it would be most unfortunate for all involved, including herself.

"I should think she would send someone soon," Ursula assured the blond beauty, happy that Sophia saw the wisdom of abstaining from further investigation. "We can speak further of it next Sunday." That would purchase precious time for the German beauty to lose interest.

Francis & Dorset

"Lady Toledo?"

Francis raised a brow and then let out an uncontained laugh.

"Well she is pretty enough with those heaving bosoms, but her husband is a bit dour. Bothering with husbands seems too much excessive work." He grinned. It was far easier to have a handful of very free widows who wished to mount the royal scepter.

Archived