JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Charity Begins at Church (Dec. 26 Morn)- Xmas 1677

Blackguard

The Merry Gang

Turnbull's jest brought an answering laugh from Charles.

"Can't say I blame you Lieutenant. 'Twould have made for a more traditional narrative if he had won. The brave young man, doing his best for his country and his lady love, against an underhanded, unprincipled scoundrel who would bring a gun to a sword fight and laugh about it afterwards. If I had any sense of drama, I'd have let him beat me."

He was still smirking as he answered Merriweather.

"An odd enough name, I suppose, but the Germanics are like that you know. There's a village, about a day north of Salzburg, literally called 'Fucking.'" Charles shook his head in wonderment before responding to Dorset.

"Not all that bad. I won, after all, and to the victor went the spoils. Besides, the patch becomes me."

Charles strummed his fingers on the pew, some of his restless energy beginning to break through the laudanum, bringing with it the echoes of his migraine.

Just let me make it through the service without vomiting. And if I must vomit, let it be on some self-important, pious hypocrite. Shaftesbury, for instance.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sophia Catching Ursula

It seemed that the blond beauty wished to speak right after the service. Ursula paused to consider her schedule. "If Her Majesty has no need of me I shall meet with you briefly. I shall need to speak with those lighting the candles afterwards too perhaps." With that, she moved away.

John and the Ablemarles

The Duchess huffed as Ursula moved away. She had wanted to mention her sister's involvement. Rather than chase after the woman, Elizabeth decided to just do as she pleased.

John asked about seating arrangements. "It is not so formally done because seats are sometimes hard to come by during court," Chris admitted. "It is not uncommon for us to cluster together. Strength in numbers and all that." the Duke had become an adopted Cavendish, having no real family of his own at court.

"I am going to fetch Frances," Elizabeth announced. "Good," Chris answered. Take your time. "I am going to ah ... make my rounds once more and then take my seat." The Duchess gave him a glare. "Plenty of time," he added. Thinking he might need to issue some important sounding order he looked about to see Douglas in the company of Lauderdale. "Best take your seat Maldon. Will join you soon enough."

Douglas and Lauderdale

Having been reminded of his letter, John Maitland paused only to recall the contents of the note a short time later. "Yes, come call on me tomorrow after the noon meal," he replied. "Now, if you will excuse us, we will be taking our seats."

Merry Gang

Ambrose's cheer for the rival brought a laugh from Sedley, who was composing a play in his mind.

"Next break it will be off to Salzburg with me," announced Merriweather. "I shall have to purchase a landscape of Fucking." He tittered at the thoughtof the etchings he would purchase as well.

Dorset rolled his eyes. "At least you have given Merriweather a reason for his existence now."

Rochester gave Audley a playful look. "Chatham, I wager you have a few paintings of Fucking. You might spare Alex here a long journey and money by just selling him one or two of the ones you brought with you to England." It was more than a question, it was a suggestion. Merriweather was a prick with too much money and not enough sense.

John saving seats

John nodded and quietly observed their dynamics with a somewhat rigid smile. He made his way towards the pews.

In force was indeed the right word for it as John counted some sixteen people he might reasonably expect, and that was leaving some out. Not being able to save that much he just moved to the emptiest and most frontward place he could. Fortunately he had a cane to help him save seats. If he saw any of his family he would try and get their attention without making a spectacle.

Louis Joining Nicolette

It was too early to be jealous of Nicci. That would come later. Louis too found the term cousin to be a pet name between them. It suggested a formality to outsiders that did not exist between them, but the tone suggested an endearment.

"You collect admirers like Lisa collects shoes," he sighed. "And no wonder," he whispered in a voice meant to compliment her in a way she would know to be one of respect rather than hollowness. "Oui, we laugh at danger." His hand stole its way between them and gave her small hand a squeeze. "This ... cyclops ... we shall find a way to make him of use?" he whispered in her ear.

James bidding Susan farewell...

Of course, Susan was at the Queen’s beck and call. “Well, do enjoy the service Lady Susan, and have a most pleasant Sabbath.” James replied with a smile and a slight bow, bidding the young lady farewell.

There were plenty of people at church today – hardly surprising given the season – and James scanned those gathered for the faces of friends. There were plenty that were familiar, but few he could claim to be truly close to, and many that he did not recognise at all.

We shall have to remedy that over the next few days old boy; you’re getting behind the times!

...and approaching Louis and Nicolette

Well, there was no time like the present, and over there was a face he recognised from a couple of pleasant conversations, accompanied by one he didn’t recognise at all. Making up his mind James approached the pew where Louis and Nicolette were deep in conversation.

“Lord Basildon, how does the season treat you?” He asked with a smile. “And a good Sabbath my Lady.” He bowed politely to Nicci. “Would you mind terribly if we joined you?” He asked, patting Mignonette’s hand as it rested on his arm.

Louis Joining Nicolette

Nicolette's eyes glinted with delight of his words, "We both collect soles you say? Does that make you our Saint Peter... or, Lucifer?" she dropped her voice to whisper these last. He was rather too handsome to be guardian of the pearly gates, though really, too darling to destine for anywhere else.

Louis was the sort of man she would have liked to marry, but Ranelagh was an excellent compromise - charming, handsome, liberal and naughty, entwined with a social conscious that was well tuned into to his own advancement. And of course the address.

Not that any of her own ambitions discouraged her desire to win her cousins esteem and more. While there was no jealousy in Louis' eyes just now, his hand enveloped her own, and his words revealed more than the mere sentence said. Her eyes met his and held. "I think yes..."

& James and Noni

But then there was a figure, a pair of figures upon the pew, and so the French girl held her tongue and turned a pleasant expression towards these people, apparently known to her cousin.

"Mademoiselle Vauquelin," she supplied her name as the gentleman hazarded the polite (and in this case flattering) 'Lady' in place of her name, "We do have plenty of room Cousin," she affirmed her compliance to Louis, before turning to better see the Lady upon the gents arm. Pretty enough, with eyes so large that the world seemed to be a wonder they marveled upon. Nicolette felt herself grinning again, and tried not to. "Nicolette Vauquelin, enchanted to meet you."

Merry Gang

"Gah, you arty types!" Ambrose spat out in bright protest, "I've no want for paintings of Fucking, I'm a practical man, I like to get up close and personal. Besides, why travel to Salzburg when we've got such a selection of landcapes to be had here..."

Although Ambrose had not been fortunate enough yet to locate the light skirts amongst the mess of silks, his eyes were never the less optimistic as they scanned around the frills filing by, "Look at the rolling hills on that one.. bet her verdant valley is dripping with dew."

Sophia leaving Ursula and joining John

“Thank you, my lady. I promise I will only take a moment of your time.” Since Lady Mountjoy intended to meet with the benefactors too, maybe she could listen in and find out how the contributions would be received. Then she could tell Esteban what he needed to do when she suggested the idea to him, which she planned to do that evening. Perhaps, as John had done, he could donate a bit more than five hundred pounds.

Sophia hoped he wasn't against the idea. It might help her become closer to the Queen and bring Spain to Her Majesty's attention and perhaps to the attention of other courtiers as well. Her husband needed to prove that he was nothing like his corrupt predecessor, and she wanted to assist him in achieving that goal. One of her duties as his wife was to support him in all things and she thought that contributing to charity would be an excellent way to show that the Spanish Ambassador cared about the welfare of the English people.

“I had best find a seat.” After dropping a quick curtsy, she turned toward the pews. Lord Maldon was sitting in an empty one near the front, and she smiled as she slid beside him. “Thank you for saving me a seat, my friend. Is your family going to sit with you too?” He must be saving an entire pew for some reason. Sophia didn't take up much space. If his family did join him, maybe she would finally get the chance to meet those he had not introduced her to at the ball.

The Merry Gang

Oh, what a happy little linguistic accident.

Despite the ache beginning to pulse once more in the centre of his head, Charles managed a smile in response to Rochester.

"Hmm. I must admit that I was more concerned with exploring the landscape when I visited, but I might be able to dig out some illustrations of the scenery to spare Merriweather the journey. The continent is so terribly unsettled these days." Charles shrugged. He would dig something up too, if it looked like he stood to profit.

His smile widened as Turnbull offered his opinion, which Charles happened to agree with, in the main.

"Oh, the English scenery has much to recommend it Lieutenant, but there is such a thing as the lure of the exotic. German landscapes, for example, have a certain wildness that makes them difficult to conquer but well worth the effort." He thought of the Queen and corrected himself. "When the interesting bits aren't buried in a layer of ice, that is. I know of men who have lost extremities under those conditions."

All

The Archbishop was in conversation with the Bishop of London at the front of the church. A few well-wishers were speaking with the pair.

Ursula Mountjoy excused herself to join the Queen. The message arrived that the Queens ladies should rejoin their mistress and report their successes to Ursula. The Queen wanted a count of candles sold. It would affect the sermon and the after event.

The King was said to be on his way to the chapel, having been delayed by one of his ministers. More likely, some might speculate, that he was delayed by some skirt.

John would see Lord and Lady Cavendish arrive and come to sit with him. The elderly Devonshire was not far behind, taking his steps slowly. The Newcastles were not far behind. The Duke and Duchess moved to take their seats closer to the front, in the same row as Norfolk. Frances Cavendish and her sister Elizabeth Monck were whispering about something. Elizabeth held her sister close and insisted that they sit together. Chris Monck was encouraged to join them, and did. The trio were in the pew behind the Newcastles.

Heneage Finch and his two sons were joined by Peregrine and Bridget Osbourne. The latter's father, the Earl of Danby, was nowhere in sight. They were joined by the Duke and Duchess of Lauderdale.

The Merry Gang stayed in the back, where they expected to be joined by latecomers.

Merry Gang

"I should like you see your paintings," Merriweather declared. "Perhaps I should show you some of mine." Sedley cleared his throat. "Wary that," the playwright added.

"Wary the German landscapes," Rochester speculated quietly. "You'll lose more than an eye and an extremity." Glancing at Ursula as she left, he added "though others might have danger painted far in the background." With a look towards Sophia he added "then there are views of fenced orchards ready for the harvest."

Nicolette and Louis

"I see myself more as Saint Peter. I am good at judging others," he laughed. Nicci acknowledged that the one-eyed earl might be useful to them. He expected no less.

James and Noni

It was then that Wentwood and his wife joined them. "Of course. Do join us." He made introductions for his cousin. "Lady Wentwood is a niece to the Duchess of Savoy and related to the Sun King thereby." It was one of the greatest mysteries at court. How the Duchess could have allowed Winchester to marry her niece was a scandal waiting to be solved. The man must have blackmailed her or Noni must have committed some unforgivable sin. "Lord Wentwood is a noted physician."

Louis had supported Noni's bid to become Queen of England because he had been compensated handsomely for it. The girl was simple and trusting. Those were the two worst traits one could have at court. Yet, her bloodline and the Queen's respect for the physician made the Wentwoods useful to Basildon.

Although he expected the Finches and Somersets to come join them in the general vicinity, he moved over to allow the couple to join them. "Mademoiselle Vauquelin would be an excellent companion for your wife Lord Wentworth. She knows the cream of the French court and has become English as her adoptive home."

John, Sophia, and the Devonshires, behind the Ablemarles and Newcastles

John smiled at Sophia joining him and nodded. He said, low voice, “Some of them d-d-didn’t wish to meet you at the ball. Hopefully this will go b-b-better.” Hopefully Sophia would be charming enough. There was still the issue of Henry Howard, but that would be something for later. He quietly hoped too that she wouldn’t embarrass the rest of them with her better singing or her ignorance of and lack of concern for the faith… but all this was nervousness. He wanted her to make a good impression.

John was not saving an entire pew- he didn’t have the capability. But he was saving several seats that were soon enough filled. His family didn’t seem to react to Sophia, which was good. There were several things that could’ve gone wrong. He did a round of introductions, though they all knew of each other even if they hadn’t met.

He shifted seating when his family arrived, quietly putting Sophia between Lady Cavendish and himself. Perhaps she would think better of the young woman after some time together. At worst, she would at least know her husband wasn’t doing anything untoward. John didn’t say anything but he continued to quietly watch for reactions.

Davina With Hen But Then Making a Quick Good Bye

She had intended to move inside but then her name was called out and so she turned round seeing who it was. She smiled and gave her own curtsey adding

"Happy Christmas Lord Aylesford - how well You are looking."

Such a small thing easily said so hardly a lie.

"Indeed. Her Majesty has implemented a desire for some Charitable Works and so instructed some of her Ladies to see it heard. A pledge of five hundred pound to the Charity that will be named will allow the giver the privilage on lighting an alter candel this very morn - there are only twelve and two are taken."

"Any so desiring needs must see Lady Mountjoy who is inside."

She had answered him matter of factly without any attempt to charm her voice pitched low to match his.

She had seen from the corner of her eye the arrivals and so knew that soon Their Majesties would follow and so she hastily added

"But I fear that we have not the time for further discussions My Lord for even now the Archbishop has arrived and I think I must fly quickly inside to my place or Lady Mountjoy will send someone to find me!"

"And you must join with your Family as well. I hope to we have another chance again soon to speak so I shall bid you a fairwell ..."

Offering him a curtsey and a soft press of her hand to his forearm as she turned away with a smile her skirts swirlling about her as she dashed inside the Church.

(OOC:Not sure if you missed my last posting and I see that Hen has been moved so I'm pushing Davina along)

John, Sophia, and the Devonshires, behind the Ablemarles and Newcastles

“I hope so. If not, I will find another place to sit so you can be with them.” Sophia didn't want his relationship with his family to suffer because of her. If they did join them, though, she would have another chance to prove that despite her performance in the opera, she was a proper and respectable young lady. She was attending church, after all, and hopefully she had been seen talking to Lady Mountjoy, who was close to the Queen.

Some of his relatives did come to sit with him, and she didn't notice any disapproval on their faces when she was introduced to them. Or perhaps she was just seeing what she wanted to see. “It is an honor to meet you,” she said smiling warmly. Lady Cavendish sat beside her and Sophia looked over at her, her smile broadening. “Your gown is very pretty, my lady” In her opinion, a lady known for her sense of fashion couldn't go wrong by complimenting another woman's attire.

The Merry Gang

While Merriweather might have other ideas about Chatham under the guise of an art purchase, Turnbull rose an eyebrow to Sedley, his eyes sliding to watch his sparing partners reaction to the proposed sale and purchase.

Meanwhile the others ruminated on women.

Rochester's comments upon one, then another was educational, just as you'd expect the worldly wise chap to be. Ambrose eyes swung to inspect the lastest under his scrutiny: Sophia from the Opera night.

She was married, as everyone knew, "One doesn't need to buy the property, I'm not averse to the role of tourist." he contemplated, but Ambrose had heard her screaming just because he's sworn a little, she was definitely no libertine, "...but why trouble with fences." Ambrose attention slid on to the next.

OOC: Please sideline Ambrose now till I get back.

The Merry Gang

He cannot be suggesting what I think he is suggesting.

He almost certainly was. The insinuation was not the most subtle Charles had ever heard, and Sedley's interjection said that the playwright had heard the same thing.

Why, it's almost flattering in its way.

Charles shrugged lazily. He was almost more amused than anything else. He had no objections to homosexuality in principle- it made for a refreshing change of pace on occasion, if nothing else- but Merriweather was not exactly his ideal partner for such.

"Perhaps." He confined himself to the one word response and switched his attention to Rochester, smirking at the man's speculation.

Are we beginning to stretch this metaphor a tad?

"Oh, I am quite done with the Teutonic countryside for now. Lovely views, and enough of a challenge to be interesting, but exhausting. No, I have a hankering to explore some English rose gardens, take life at my ease."

Yes. Yes we are.

Douglas and the Lauderdales parting, Doug joining his sisters.

“Acoorse Yer Grace. Ye hae a pleasant dae.”* Douglas tipped his hat to the pair as they parted, musing that there was something eminently unlovable about the gruff, grumpy, ugly and extremely powerful Scottish politician. The man didn’t seem to need to be pleasant to people. Oh but to have that kind of power.

Passing the two Bishops, Douglas scanned those seated for his sisters, sliding in beside them and giving the youngest, Aileen, a wink as he sat beside her and dropped his cavalier’s hat on her head, for which it was far too big.

The Dukes all sat up the front of course, and Douglas noticed the Lauderdales find a place next to the Finches and the Osbournes; both of the latter he noted. Peregrine had persuaded his sister of her duty to attend church. A faint smile curved Douglas’s full lips.

Subtitles

* “Of course Your Grace. You have a pleasant day.”

Whitehurst & Whitehurst

There was no use in continuing on with Bradley about money, so he let his brother go collect Frances. When his younger brother mentioned a patron, Charles was quick to think that he might mean some lord. That would be fine by him. Bradley needed to learn something about the church, a profession or finance if he did not wish for a life in the military.

With a quick look about the chapel, Charles did not spy any opportunity for himself and his household. He might sit with the McBains but Fiona would be sure to do something that might get him in trouble. Davina was nowhere to be seen. Susan was likely with her family and he did not want to give the wrong impression by asking to sit with them.

That left Heather, who he did not see, and his mistress Catherine Sedley, both of whom could be seen with him in chapel. Of course, there were other soldiers he could seek out, such as Rupert, Gerard, Beverley and others but this was more a setting for families than factions. As such, he moved to a pew in the middle of the church and saved places for Frances, Bradley and Catherine Sedley.

The Wentwoods and the Basildons

James would have been quite content if Louis had declared that he was saving seats for others, but the pair’s welcome was warmly received.

“Thank you, terribly kind of you.” James replied, grey gaze moving from the Earl to his companion as the young lady introduced herself. So she was French? “Ah, bonjour Madamoiselle, un plaisir de vous rencontrer.”* The little man bowed politely. It was rare for a lady to declare herself enchanted, let alone in his presence.

“James Winchester, Baron Wentwood, and my Lady wife Mignonette.” He introduced The doll-like woman on his arm. “Darling, you’ve met the Earl of Basildon haven’t you?” He asked, just in case she hadn’t. He didn’t doubt that Louis knew who she was; the political creature would know everyone, as indeed he proved that immediately with his terribly kind explanation as to their greater identities.

James couldn’t help but wonder how exactly the French girl was connected to Basildon, but no doubt such things could become clear in time. Certainly the Earl didn’t seem cagey, explaining Nicci’s connection to both courts. “Then she and Noni have much in common.” The doctor allowed as the pair settled. Perhaps, as with Noni, there was some story as to why a lady of the French court was now in England.

The idea of Noni having another friend at court now that Alexandra wasn’t about appealed to James greatly. He knew it was important for them each to have their own circles. “We’re thinking of hosting a little afternoon tea for a few friends and acquaintances a little later in the week. Perhaps you’d both care to join us?” James suggested; a good chance to further friendships. “And Lady Basildon as well, of course.” He added. “I trust the family is well.”

Subtitles

* “Ah, good day Miss, a pleasure to meet you.”

Douglas and his sisters

The MacBain girls had arrived after their older brother and sister, and Fiona had immediately shepherded Shona and Aileen into the chapel, managing not to insult either one of them in the process. Shona had not protested, but Aileen had wanted to make a snowball and throw it at Doug and had pouted when Fiona had forbidden her that bit of fun.

When he joined them, they scooted over to make room for him. Aileen giggled as he dropped his hat on her head and it fell over her nose. “It looks better on you,” she whispered, taking it off and placing it between them. Beside her, Shona smiled at her brother a bit nervously, her hands folded primly on her lap. She was never comfortable when she was out in public, not even at church.

Fiona was the farthest away from him, and she waved playfully. She was trying her best to be good but she couldn't stop her gaze roaming from one handsome gentleman to another, a mischievous smile turning up the corners of her lips.

Catherine Sedley joining Charles

At least the service hasn't started yet, Catherine thought as she stepped into the chapel. She would have liked to arrive earlier so she could socialize but Caroline had been fussy and her nurse had not been able to calm her. At eight months old, she was in the teething stage and she tended to cry because her gums hurt. Eventually she had calmed down and Catherine had left her sleeping in her cradle and had headed to church.

She immediately noticed Charles sitting alone and slid in the pew beside him, close enough to press her skirt-covered thigh against his. “You can relax now,” she said with a grin. “I know you have been pining for me and worried that I would not sit with you today.”

Lucy Seymour interrupting the Basildons and Wentwoods

Lucy had one more thing to do before she joined Lady Mountjoy. She had been so busy soliciting donations that she'd not had time to ask Louis if he would purchase a candle. He must know about it by now and she knew that he wouldn't deprive her of a chance to make a sale by pledging his donation to someone else, but she didn't feel right volunteering him without his consent.

And so she made her way over to where he sat with Nicolette and Lord and Lady Wentwood. She had seen James with Susan Herbert and assumed that she had gotten his pledge, but if not, maybe he would buy a candle from her too. “Good morning,” she greeted all of them with a pleasant smile. With a pointed look at Louis, she added: “May I borrow my brother for a moment? I promise it won't take long."

Maybe he already knew what she was there for and would give her the confirmation she needed without having to leave his seat.

Cavendish Corner

With the Newcastles and the Ablemarles in front, the Devonshire branch took the next pew. Lord Cavendish sat next to his wife, just one spot away from Sophia. It worked out well enough as Will could pay attention to his wife and still appraise Sophia in the same glance. Devonshire sat next to his son. There was a grunt of comfort as he took his seat. He looked about for his daughter and Exeter but did not see them yet. Lady Cavendish seemed interested in watching who her husband was watching. He was not fooling anyone pretending to look at her but she said nothing about it. Instead, she turned to Sophia. "Thank you. Your gown is lovely too."

The Wentwoods and the Basildons

Though Noni appeared to be cut off from the Duchess of Savoy, there still might be uses for her. Nicolette was the perfect friend for the simple girl. She would be able to amuse her and manipulate her at the same time. As for the physician, he had risen quickly at court and it was well and good to be seen in the company of those in favor.

"We would be delighted to join you," Louis accepted on behalf of his cousin. He looked to her, expecting that she would agree. Someone native to France and with some connection to royal blood was a relationship ideal for Nicci.

Lucy's Arrival

It was then that his sister arrived. Louis could speculate as to the reason, but he could not be sure. Who knew what crisis his sister might imagine? "If you will excuse me for a moment." He would allow Nicci and Noni to banter in French for a few minutes while he was away.

"The service is about to start," he reminded Lucy. "What is this about?" he asked as they moved to a more quiet place in the church.

The Cavendish Corner

“They w-w-will not ask you to leave. I’m worth that much. But they m-m-might not be warm.” John clarified. At least he couldn’t imagine they would ask her to leave. Making a fuss at church was poor form and it’d embarrass John.

Soon, however, they’d arrived and Sophia complimented Lady Cavendish’s dress. It seemed to be going as well as could be expected. For the moment, John was content to sit quietly. He was only next to Sophia and he wanted to give her the chance to speak with Lady Cavendish uninterrupted. Besides, he would have to see how Sophia reacted before he presumed to distract Cavendish.

The Cavendish Corner

Ever perceptive, Sophia noticed the way Lord Cavendish was looking at her and that his wife was aware of his interest. She refused to look at him and feigned embarrassment, shifting slightly so that Lady Cavendish's body blocked her from his view. Hopefully, she would realize that Sophia was uncomfortable with her husband's attention. She glanced over at John, hoping that he would approve of how she was handling the situation.

“Thank you, my lady,” she replied, her gaze returning to Lady Cavendish. “Have you started planning your spring wardrobe yet? When I get the chance, I want to stop by Norringtons and see if their spring fabrics have arrived.” Would she realize that Sophia was issuing a subtle invitation to join her?

All

Conversation paused as a herald entered the church and announced the arrival of the royal couple. Into the center row came the King and Queen dressed in matching ivory and silver elegant attire, followed by a procession of the King's gentlemen.

Ursula Blount sent word for her ladies to return with the news of candle successes. She would administer the details on behalf of Queen Karoline, knowing it would take the royal couple a few minutes to reach their seats in front, pausing to exchange nods and holiday wishes with the flower of the peerage.

Charles and Catherine Sedley and Family

“You can relax now,” she said with a grin. “I know you have been pining for me and worried that I would not sit with you today.”

"Oh?" he pretended. "Actually, I was saving this spot for another lady, but I suppose you will do." He gave a chuckle. "I knew that there was any pew space next to me, no matter how small, you would race to seize it for yourself." With the arrival of the King, there was little time to say more.

Archived