JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Charity Begins at Church (Dec. 26 Morn)- Xmas 1677

Blackguard

Davina, Douglas, and Sophia

Sophia didn't understand why the Queen wanted her ladies to seek donations only from gentlemen. Ladies had money too. She had absolutely no concept of English law, or any other country's law, for that matter. That subject was better off left to the realm of men. She had recently developed an interest in politics, but as far as the laws that governed day to day life, she wasn't even aware that there were any. In some things, the young Baroness was still very naïve.

“No, my lord husband is not here," she stated with a little sigh. "He does not attend Protestant services.”

Perhaps she should not have mentioned Lady Alyth, for her friend seemed to disapprove of her choice of company. She really couldn't blame her, since the Countess was a rival for the King's affections and Davina was loyal to the Queen. Maybe it had been for the best that she had made decisions that prevented her from becoming one of the Queen's ladies. She was too independent to be told who she could and could not associate with. Catriona had always been a good friend to her, and she treasured their friendship.

She smiled at Douglas when he spoke of his sister's fondness for the Chelsea hospital, but said nothing more about Lady Alyth. “I hope to become involved in many charities, including those the Queen supports. I have always wanted to help the poor and unfortunate, and now that the opera is over, I have the time to do so.”

Perhaps she shouldn't have mentioned the opera either.

Davina didn't seem too optimistic about Sophia's chances of buying a candle, but if she was denied, it would not be her friend's fault. She thought it completely unfair that only gentlemen would have the privilege to light one, and if it was some sort of Protestant tradition, then she would go home immediately and tell Esteban's resident priest that she wanted to convert to Catholicism as long as Catholics were more fair to women. It wasn't as if she was doing this for herself. She truly wished to be charitable and she planned to donate on behalf of her husband, who was understandably not in attendance.

“Thank you,” she told Davina before she left. Her eyes followed her retreating back until Lord Dundarg's pleasant voice brought her out of her thoughts. “We both know he will never do that,” Sophia sighed. “I would think he has already attempted to cultivate the Duke of York's friendship, but whether he was successful or not, I do not know.” Sophia smiled up at him. “Just think of what an opportunity like this could do for him and for the interests of Spain. It is telling the Queen that even Catholics and foreigners support her charities and she might be more sympathetic to Spanish causes if I am allowed to light a candle.”

Davina returned with an answer. “Of course, I wish to hear it,” she replied, her smile still in place.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maldon, Turnbull, and Lucy

“Well said,” John replied at Turnbull’s reply. John was confused by Ambrose’s objection. “Aren’t we telling stories?” A story was not necessarily untrue. After all, the King often told the story of his escape from the Battle of Worcester. His family sometimes told him stories of the Civil War or their history. “We’re not old enough for it to be a history. Or I’m not anyway.” John smiled at the lieutenant.

The duchess turned him down, “More’s the pity. Do t-t-tell when you… find that later time.” John said, his tone light. He doubted she would ever find it, for being forgotten or ignored was his experience of court.

It was, moreover, particularly his experience of her family. While all the broken promises and ignored reminders hurt, her brother and sister in law’s failure to get back to him about writing, even after he sent a reminder, was still particularly disappointing. John was a published writer after all, if secretly.

He chuckled at her question, “Where’s the fun in telling you the ending?” Nevertheless, he looked at her expectantly. He thought she was going somewhere with this.

Whitehurst, Whitehurst & Co

Dorothea Charlotte was surprised by the young englishman's outburst, though it was whispered, and possibly said as a joke. She was uncertain how to reply to him, her dark lashes fluttered, confused.

Then suddenly another was upon them.

Bradley drew a distance, was that relief upon his face?

This was one of the three brothers apparently, she dipped a curtsy and said, "Compliments of the season my lord." she spoke slowly as she formed each word, "I am Lady Dorothea Charlotte of Brandenburg. Your brother does have a humor, joking me, of what the charity does with the money."

"Heh heh, you know me, I'm a right card." Bradley meanwhile thought to go along with that story, none so keen to tell his brother what he'd agree to. He felt a bit sick.

"I want to thank your family for your generous contribution. Three candles. It is very much." the young german said.

John seemed confused as the cheer of their threesome disintegrated. "Yes, the tale of your limp." Ambrose agreed. But in the end it did not really matter, it had made for a much more interesting tale than the true version had been.

He gave a smile, "Ah, now that is a shame." she politely declined, which was in everyone's best interests. There were times when even Ambrose could thank etiquette and correctness. Her reply was politely done, and he had no delusion that she was making any sort of promise, nor would he begrudge her if they never spoke again. For now was enjoyable enough, and he was never a man to expect commitment.

Yet then the young Duchess returned to her original topic of candles. "Aha,Your Grace has a keen intellect, and here we had thought you might forget about those pesky candles." Ambrose chuckled as Maldon pretended he did not know what she was alluding to, he was making it hard for the poor girl, who was valiantly doing her best. Ambrose knew what that felt like and empathized. "I am sorry if we have wasted your valuable time, but your company was too enjoyable not to plunder it."

She'd need to go canvas the next chap he supposed, and then the men could continue their original conversation.

The Wentwoods

Catriona seemed somewhat preoccupied that morning, so James bade her a congenial farewell and he and Noni drifted away. They all had things on their minds from time to time and no doubt Catriona would let them know if she wanted to catch up some time. Besides, Noni probably didn't want to listen to them talk shop.

"It really does one good to be outside, as well as back in London." James opined as the pair wandered slowly. "You're not too cold are you?" He asked his wife solicitously.

Charles and Nicolette

"Anything but that." Nicolette's eyes danced, quite possibly her provincial roots were showing.

"Academic rigour, as opposed to rigor of another sort?" the Earl retracted the idea in an interesting way, she was amused, and saw he was amused also. "I might mention," she then thought to add, "that one of those 'poor dears' is a cousin..." she paused, knowing she should not say any more than that, "mmm... this is probably the most she's ever had to try at anything, a little failure might be beneficial, a little failure might develop some character."

And then she was softly laughing again, "Academic rigor, and now Intellectual curiosity, I perceive a theme?" She tried not to be so obvious about her own feelings, though was keenly aware of the flirtation underscoring their banter, this glorious game they played - a game that was all the more enjoyable for the lack of strings. "Well... one manner of 'a scene stolen' that I was privy to myself, was a feminine shriek at an apt moment, a scream that stopped a kings kiss and sent his feet running for fear of a death? Though that was in the gardens, a quieter version would better suit this locale, a stifled whimper perhaps, the last gasp of 'the little death'?" she met his eyes, and blinked just as innocently as she knew how. "Hypothetically, that is."

His desire was to become known for his wit and humor, it was simple enough to see that anyone who met him would quickly see him as those things already... but then he leaned forwards. She smelt a familiar sticky sweet scent, what was that? It tugged at a memory, of not so long ago, a friend and a pipe. Her effort to recollect had to be halted there, as Charles confessed the darker intent. Eyes dilated, she approved. "The jester might play his audience, as easily as drawing the strings of a marionette." So what did he want really? The cliche answer would be favor upon his family lands, greater wealth, and royal acclaim, but Chatham was no cliche, and no doubt had some far more intriguing aim.

Their idle banter upon the balancing of the scales between France and England carried on; and he with the correct answer. (Men learnt at a young age, the wisdom of siding with the woman they were currently with!) Nicolette's smile showed her as pleased, and she lent her mind to think of his own investments. "The English King is a charming patron, he inspires joyful sacrifice... this holiday season, he might receive a new ornament, one that might sing her sweet melody to his ears. Imagine, to be one of her songs?" Nicolette looked at the gentleman again, a seriousness hidden beneath her light words.

"Ahh..." she sighed softly as he called her up upon her next guesses. "It is a thing, that people sometimes see what they want to see." she excused herself, her error, though secretly she retained her viewpoint anyhow. He had the style of a politician, if he wanted to, he could achieve much. "Still, your words sit so comfortably upon my ears, that I do not think I would tire of them quickly."

And she understood perfectly well what he was saying to her now. This feeling she now had, this warm simmer that tingled and excited, creating a needful hunger, it was mutual. Her lips, curled, pleased, almost smug even. "Who ever wanted a life uncomplicated." And Lord Chatham made such an interesting complication.

Aylesford & Basildon

"Hen, good to see you," Basildon replied. The two sons of the Royal Chancellor could not be more different. The same could have been said for Louis and his late brother.

"A grand night," he admitted. "You seem in jolly spirits. That must mean that a lady is to blame. I must confess that I did not see you amidst the crowd. Tell me who you danced with?" He hoped it was many, and not just Jane Digby. That lady had just about ruined him.

How was he to get out of this dilemma that Bradley had caused? The first instinct was to play dumb, and so Charles proceeded. The lady was a foreigner, so it seemed like a combination of playing dumb and an attempt at miscommunication might be the wisest course. Brandenburg was far away, but Charles was pretty sure he could find it on a map. It was one of the bigger eastern states in the Empire.

"It cannot be very generous buying three candles. In London candles cost bust a shilling a handful." He spoke slowly so as to enhance the lady's ability to comprehend.

The next ploy was to change the subject. "You must have just arrived in London, for I am sure I would have recognized you otherwise. I am Charles Whitehurst, Earl of Langdon, Lord Lieutenant of London, and an officer in His Majesty's Life Guard. It might have been smarter to downplay his importance when he was trying to get out of a financial commitment; but, Charles had a difficult time not wanting to sound important to a lady, especially one that sounded important in her own right.

Neither gentleman seemed disappointed that she wouldn't join them. They probably wanted to talk about politics and other boring topics that men were so interested in. She would have just been in the way and she really had no inclination to have lunch with them. “There should be many court events this season. We will meet again and the two of you can tell me the rest of your story then.”

After you come up with it.

“Where is the fun in withholding it from me?” Lucy countered. “Most gentlemen are quite eager to satisfy a lady's curiosity.” If there was innuendo in her words, it was not intentional. She wanted to know whether or not they had found the mythical candles so that she could relate it to her request for donations. And that, the young Duchess surmised, was exactly the reason Lord Maldon didn't tell her. Lieutenant Turnbull's comment only confirmed her suspicions. They either didn't think lighting a candle was an honor worthy of five hundred pounds or they didn't have the money.

“I don't feel as if you've wasted my time,” Lucy replied graciously. “It was a pleasure to meet both of you. I do need to sell a few candles, though.” She grinned at them engagingly. “Are you sure you don't wish to donate? There are only twelve candles. If you wait too long, they will all be gone."

Charles and Nicolette

"Struggle is good for the soul, or so I'm told," Charles agreed, "and one should always look out for family."

Frankly, her words suggested some degree of familial tension to him but decorum forbade him inquiring further. It was not as though he had any room to object in any case, as he would gleefully sell most of his relatives to a Turk for sixpence the lot.

Well, perhaps not the lot. I probably have cousins or some such somewhere who aren't terribly objectionable. I'd want at least a half crown in that case.

Charles put aside thoughts of selling his relatives into slavery and focused his attention on the game he and Nicolette were playing, smiling as she laughed.

"Ah. Well, I was an academic for a brief time a good ten years ago. Some of it rubbed off on me," he explained, before cocking his head to one side as she revealed her plan for stealing the show and the inspiration behind it. Charles met her innocently blinking gaze with a certain warmth in his eye, amused and intrigued by her boldness. That story raised his interest as well. Had she been the one distracting the King or the one he had been distracted from? He smiled at her with just a hint of teeth.

"A deliciously wicked idea. That would steal the whole play, never mind the scene!" He coughed gently. "In the theoretical event of someone doing so, of course. Mental exercises aside, you must tell me the full story of the events that inspired you."

Their banter continued apace, sweeping through a variety of topics. Charles made good use of his verbal and mental dexterity to avoid the potential trap that was talking of Portsmouth, Nicolette's smile revealing her as pleased with his dismissal of the Duchess. Her advice told him why. He gave her a long look, considering. She was certainly more than attractive enough, and her conversation evinced a charming wit and boldness. Assuming the proper connections, she could certainly achieve her ends.

And she has those connections, I wager. The French diplomatic service are almost as adept at making friends as their armies are at making enemies. But is Portsmouth out of favour, or gone native, that le Roi's spymasters have procured a replacement?

Well, regardless of her motivations, it never hurt to be friendly with a potential royal mistress. Portsmouth had all but controlled informal access to the King for years, by all accounts. Charles grinned.

"I've always wanted to be immortalised in song." That was a clear enough acceptance and thanks. He frowned as a thought struck him.

"It occurs to me, however, that any hypothetical songbird seeking to sing for his Majesty would do well to avoid the Queen's attention until her nest is established. Hmm?"

Nicolette was clever enough to see what he meant by that, surely.

Clever she was indeed, guessing accurately at his background and character. He denied one of the charges, simply because that was what the character he was currently playing would do. She was, however, entirely correct. Charles smiled as Nicolette went on, covering her not-actually-an-error with a compliment.

"You flatter me. If I have any claim to eloquence, it is only that I am inspired by my company."

Smug was a very attractive expression on Nicolette, and her expressed sentiments were scarcely any less attractive to Charles. Uncomplicated, to him, meant boring and boredom was anathema.

"Who indeed? Only those who are themselves simple, one would imagine. Complications are so very... exciting, after all, and what is life without excitement?"

The Countess wore a modest golden sheen veil over her golden red curls and carried a bible, seating herself somewhere in front, and peering modestly at God's word. in the past she might have shared juicy jokes with the King in those front pews, but she ignored Charles right now. Through her red eyelashes she observed the rest of the community though, with sharp green eyes, not a thing escaping her.

Heather showed up because law required her to do so, as did common sense. One did not want to be accused of treason. Yet, for a long time the redhead had no longer thought her best interest was at this congregation and she watched everybody with something of a cynical eye. How many of you are playing the same game I am? This is all for appearances sake.

John, departing from Turnbull and Lucy to look for company in the church

“As you say. Or perhaps when I call you the next time I do charity, or something worthy,” Since the duchess had volunteered. He was under the impression, incorrectly or not, that those words were more than polite nothings.

John smiled, “If you satisfy the whole of the curiosity, d-d-doesn’t the matter become… dull?” He too could find no innuendo in her words or his. He really believed they were simply discussing stories. John was not the sort of the person to skip to the last chapter.

Ambrose had a bad habit of unilaterally trying to end things. He made a comment implying their conversation was at an end. John was displeased by that and by his presumption of ‘we’. It was was actively interfering with what John wanted. “I hadn’t forgotten.” He’d made up his mind to give from the first. He’d only disputed whether it would be through the duchess or someone else.

John had hoped through wit or charm the duchess might convince him about candle. He had not made it easy, but he wanted to see her overcome that, not flounder. She had done well, but now she was departing. Prematurely, in his mind. Yet it wasn’t her fault and she’d born the whole thing with considerable grace.

“When did I say I didn’t wish to donate?” If they knew of his thoughts, they would’ve had to be extremely perceptive. He’d given no sign. “I’ll have one, yes. A p-p-pleasure meeting you as well.” John smiled and made a slight bow as she departed.

"I'll see you later, lieutenant.” John said. He departed for the inside of the church and looked for a place to sit, and possibly company.

Turnbull and Lucy after Maldon leaves

He had offended Maldon, that much was plain as the Earl said he'd take one candle before excusing himself to move about.

"I thought..." he frowned somewhat, and gave an apologetic look at Lucy. "when he changed the topic, I thought he did not want..." gah. Ambrose gave a shrug, he'd managed to fuck up another 'new friendship'.

"For myself, Your Grace, I must decline." that said Ambrose was likely the one man here that needed a boost to his status. For her part Lucy was graceful in accepting negative reply, which was at least something, and she even seemed a little relieved when he allowed her to carry along with her quest. "Good luck." he quietly wished.

Ambrose sees Heather Arrive

He was standing there feeling a bit awkward, when who should sashay past but the sultry redhead, just as she did in his dreams.

Straightening his frilly cravat, Ambrose stepped up along side the Countess, "Perfection has arrived, and in her wake the world tumbles in utter tumult." He did not suffer any delusion that she would be pleased to see him - no, he was like the squeaking door that she wished someone , anyone but her, would grease. "May I assist you to your pew?" he offered his arm. Still, the lieutenant attempted to get into her...good graces.

Aylesford & Basildon

"Very well thank you." Louis courtesy reminded Hen of his own, "and you, managing alright while you are bacheloring it?"

"You guessed rightly." upon the briefest of pauses, the fellow then launched, "I think she's the one Louis. Ah you should hear her voice, I'd not realised till recently what beautiful sounds were of Irish, though it's her voice particularly. And she'd pretty, ever so pretty, and with rosy cheeks, and her eyes. Yes her eyes are the best, and how she looks at me. She's not like the women from round these parts." For one reason or another, the ladies of London had never been interested in Lord Aylesford, even Jane who he'd practically been engaged to.

"I want you to meet her." Hen finished.

"These are candles for christian charity." Dorothea Charlotte replied, "the donation, it is a happiness for Queen Karoline, and a blessing upon the noble house." doing her best to explain, and concerned with the previously vocal Bradley was suddenly recalcitrant.

As he offered his full introduction, she appreciated that his many titles made him a important man. That came as a relief, for she'd started to fear that he had not the position to make such a large donation.

"So many names, which shall I use?" she gave a small smile, "Yes I am new to London. I visit my friend the Queen for the Christmas season. The ties between our countries, they grow stronger." And perhaps it eased Karoline homesickness a little to see a familiar face again.

Maldon, Turnbull, and Lucy parting

“Please do,” Lucy said to Lord Maldon's offer to include her in any charitable activities. She didn't know if his offer was serious or a mere pleasantry, but it could be advantageous to let one of the Queen's ladies know of his contributions to her causes if he wanted to impress her.

One dark brow rose playfully. “And if you don't satisfy a lady's curiosity, is it not considered teasing?” She paused for a moment before adding: “I will try to be patient, but I do want to hear the rest of the story when three of us meet again.”

Lucy had assumed neither gentleman wished to buy a candle because they had not immediately agreed when she had first asked them. She was pleased that Lord Maldon decided to donate. “Thank you, my lord,” she replied with a pretty little curtsy.

As the Earl walked away, Lieutenant Turnbull wished her luck. “Thank you as well.” She smiled warmly. “I guess I should get on with it. I hope you enjoy the rest of your day.” And with that, the young Duchess flounced away in search of more donations.

Davina Sophia and Douglas

"Alas Lady Toledo I am afraid that will not be possible. Tis no fault of your own but rather a condition set by The Queen."

She did not offer more explanation. The fact that The Queen wished it was enough.

She would try to ease away any hurt feelings that Sophia might adopt thinking it some kind of slight aganist HER.

"Please do not think it against you Madam for that is far from the truth. And I think me it might disturb the Order of Things - Fathers and Husbands after all are the Heads of our Families - and as such needs must be the ones the set the Tone."

She had no intention to offer a lesson in how things were done here in England as Sophia had been here long enough now to have gained that and besides had she not thought that as her husband was Catholic it would be seen as wholly Political without a touch of Charity involved?

There was also the fact that Douglas was listening and she was sure he would nod his own head in agreement to her words but might not give voice to them.

And besides whatever her own private views were they held no merit right now. Did she think that Sophia should have been allowed to pledge in her husbands name? Perhaps, if she had married an Englishman and not a Spanish Catholic, it would have been allowed and if that were so then why not? Was it not the Women themselves that did the actual Charity Work?

"Perhaps when the next occasion arises the Ambassador will be present? You might speak with him, seek his permission for you to lend your own support? The Garden Society, of which the Queen is Patron of, is an excellent one - and we need to attrack new members. Might you be interested?"

This was not really the time or place for that but it might help add some ointment to sooth her feelings! And she truly needed to move onto other 'groups' and where were the Howards other than Isabel? She needed to get Norfolk .....

Charles and Nicolette

It was at that moment that she saw Lucy leave Lord Maldon and another fellow, successful of 'selling' a candle or not, it was hard to guess as she flounced away. Nicolette watched her, saying no more on that, though the slow blink she offered Charles might reveal enough.

It was more than likely Nicolette was simply jealous of Lucy, who's every want was met. If she wanted a pony, a new dress, a necklace, it was given, and when she wanted to be a Duchess she'd been matched to Lisa's brother the Duke.

But this charming rogue was a perfect distraction from that, and so she dabbled into thoughts of how he could steal the scene, then to chuckle as she got the desired response. "Infamy that might last a lifetime, theoretically speaking of course."

He wanted to hear more of the tale she'd alluded to, that life changing day in the garden. "Perhaps you would enjoy the full exposé Lord Chatham?" she had no intention of going into that right now, just as she did not intent to try steal the scene from the candle lighting noble. The wheels to her own future were already turning - though she thought herself to have time for a little detour here and there. Meeting his eyes, she rose a suggestive eyebrow, that he name a place and time.

It was in this conversation with Charles that Nicolette got a taste of what her life might be like, if she truly did manage to gain the position she aspired towards. She was bound to Buckingham of course, and her cousin, but there might be others. Others like Lord Chatham, who readily saw the advantage to himself. "And what song might she sing, mmm?" she'd revealed the opportunity he could invest in, but would he? Her hand went to her throat, a throat bereft of jewels, though a pair of huguenot crosses nestled against her bosom, a smiled suggestion was right there on her face.

By now he was likely aware that she was no more likely to create a scene, then he was likely to ridicule the ladies in waiting. "Restraint is the aquired taste of experiance." Nicolette replied, thinking again of Lucy, and feeling relieved she was not 16 again. "But too, a life without excitement, is a life wasted." Inch by inch, deeper they went.

She for her part now hesitated, as she wondered to his alliances. In months past she'd brought men like Chatham to Lord Basildons attention: but for the first time she considered keeping someone all to herself.

Charles understood the candles were somehow about charity but was, as of yet, not fully aware of the details. "I suppose you can call me Lord Langdon," he replied politely. They did not know each other well enough for him to offer his first name. "And English custom is to address you as Lady Dorothea, unless you prefer some other form of address"

He could not help but feel that Dorothea was still of the view that Bradley was going to donate vast sums to charity, monies that he did not have. There were a couple of choices that confronted the young earl. He could drop any further conversation about the candles and hope that the whole thing would be forgotten without his assent. The other path was to take on the topic head on, just to make sure there was no misunderstanding. Given that it was not his way to hide from danger, he opted for the latter strategy.

"Can you explain to me what the Queen wishes with these candles and how much she is selling them for?" Charles could only hope that the fifteen he had overheard was intended to be 15 shillings a piece, which would make the three candles nothing more than three pounds, which was a fine gift to charity.

The Duke of Norfolk arrived with his wife, Jane Bickerton. Both had converted to Anglican and were set to show their piety by arriving early. They also hoped to secure a good seat worthy of their station since the Howards were new to Protestant chapels.

The Duke and Duchess of Ablemarle followed behind. Elizabeth was worried that they might lose their privileged seating if they dawdled.

Aylesford & Basildon

"Ah." He had guessed correctly. "Ladies are often behind the greatest joys and the greatest misery of men," he thought to add. Hen was one of those men that fell for pretty ladies, and fell hard. He might have introduced him to Nicolette had she decided upon a different path. He could not hope to satisfy a lady such as she, but she could likely satisfy him.

"Yes, let me meet her," he replied in a jolly tone that belied his suspicions. Irish. The Irish were bumpkins, much like the Scots and the Welsh. There were more barbaric than cultured, certainly by southern English standards. Louis could only hope the lady was from a good family and had huge tracts of land.

John with the Norfolks and Ablemarles

Shortly after John entered, he was followed by two of his more distant cousins. Of course, only the Ablemarles held that as any account. They too seemed to be looking around, or perhaps were just pausing before making their way to their seats.

“Your graces,” John said, with a small bow. “The Lord Maldon.” John wasn’t sure the Norfolks knew him and remembered that Lady Ablemarle had some difficulty with names.

“Which wing are your g-g-graces… sitting in?” The pews were divided into two groups. Sitting to the right was low church, more like the Puritans. The left side was more high church, more like the Catholics. There was, as with so many things in religion, no center.

Charles and Nicolette

"In the general sense, Infamy is preferable to fame. People might respect a paragon of virtue and morality, but they seldom like them. On the other hand, everyone has at least a sneaking regard for a debonair rogue, if he performs his sins stylishly and à la mode. Besides, the only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about."

Charles smiled as he laid out what amounted to a large part of his personal philosophy. Anonymity, and the mediocrity and stagnation it implied, were repulsive to him. Death was preferable.

Still, the possibility of any of those qualities applying to him was so small as to be nonexistent. There were better things to think about. Nicolette's wonderfully expressive features, for example.

"Well, were you minded to reveal all, I would not object." He let his gaze flicker around the chapel. "Though perhaps such conversation should wait for a more appropriate setting? Hmm. I am engaged today, but tomorrow is mostly free. I could squire you about the park after lunch, if that suits?"

Charles had always marvelled at the small things that turned the fates of men. Today, for instance, a migraine and a whim had combined to put an ambitious and personable young earl in a pew next to an aspiring King's mistress who seemed to have all the qualifications for that role. From such small seeds did great trees grow, and Charles intended to see that this seed was carefully tended.

"Oh, I would be loathe to instruct our songbird as to how and what to sing. But seeing as you asked, I've always liked Sulla's epitaph- 'no better friend, no worse enemy.' Something on that theme would be appreciated." A gallic shrug. "But a simple ballad on my talents, my wit, et cetera would be almost as welcome. I'm sure whatever our songbird chooses to sing will be admirable."

His gaze followed her hand to her throat, noting the incongruous lack of jewels. A deliberate statement, or something else? The fact was noted and stored away for further analysis.

"Of course, I could not expect her to simply take my word on those qualities. No, she would need to experience them for herself, if only to add verisimilitude to her songs."

Deep within the laudanum fogs, something clicked in his mind.

"While we're on the topic of royal companions, one of the King's spaniels pupped yesterday. Six puppies. Her Majesty, apparently, is not open to having more dogs and thus the young must be given away. Through an unlikely and frankly hilarious contrivance of circumstances, I have been charged by his Majesty with preparing a list of, and I quote, 'the most worthwhile ladies,' to serve as candidates to adopt the little treasures." He gave Nicolette a conspiratorial smile. "Our songbird would be suitable, yes?"

Davina, Douglas, and Sophia

The answer Sophia received was not the one she had hoped for, but the one she had feared. She didn't blame Davina. All she had done was deliver the message. The young Baroness looked around the grounds but she did not see the Queen. Somehow, she didn't think it was Her Majesty's intention to alienate those gentlemen who were unable to attend services because of illness or some other pressing matter. Would the wives of those gentlemen be able to donate in their place?

She didn't believe the Queen was trying to purposely insult foreign Ambassadors either. Esteban might think it was a slight to his honor for his wife to be refused the privilege of lighting a candle on his behalf. Then again, he might not think it important for Spain to be represented at this event.

What were her options now? If Sophia had not sent her carriage back home after dropping her off at the palace early this morning, she could have sent the driver for a written note from Esteban giving her his permission to part with five hundred pounds. She supposed she could leave, hire a carriage, and find him, but all the candles would probably be gone by the time she returned. It was possible that he was not even at home or at the Embassy.

She could make a donation at a later date to the Queen's charities. It wasn't imperative that she do it right now. However, this was a chance to publicly show Spain's support and she felt that some of her husband's anger toward her would dissipate if she found a way to seize this opportunity. And she truly did want to support the Queen's charities. Her involvement would make a political statement, yes, but it would also make a personal one. And the latter was more important to Sophia.

“Ja, ja, I already plan to join the Gardening Society,” she said. Her voice and expression remained pleasant. She was not vexed or even annoyed. Life was what it was. “Who told you that I could not donate?” she asked. “Where is the person who is in charge of this venture?”

Sophia, Davina and Douglas leaving

Douglas and Sophia spoke quietly whilst Davina sought an answer on the subject of the Spanish donation. It was logical that Spain seek Catholic links, though Douglas knew there were always likely to be difficulties. And yes, a donation might help their cause, but without her husband here Sophia would have difficulty pledging that amount of money. Although other wives seemed to spend their husband’s money with impunity.

It turned out that his suspicions were correct, but the reason that Davina gave was odd. What conditions had been set by the Queen? Then she mentioned fathers and husbands being heads of the family, and the statement confirmed his suspicion. It would need to be her husband who made the gesture.

In the distance the Duke of Norfolk arrived with his wife, both recently converted, and behind him the Ablemarles. His attention was drawn back to the conversation as Sophia asked who had said she might not donate. “T’weel be a matter o’ legalities, Lairdy Toledo.” He said quietly. “In England, a lairdy’s husband er eldest brothair is heid o’ the hoose, an’ holds the money. If ye pledged an’ yer Laird husband refused tae honour’t, t’wuid cause a problem.”* He spoke so that only the two ladies with him could possibly hear, not wanting there to be any embarrassment. Of course widows held their own purse strings.

Susan Herbert seemed to have disappeared; he felt a little bad that he’d accidentally sent her on a long errand with a simple question. “If ye Lairdies weel hexcuse me, Lairdy Susan kin find me whin the time cams. A guid dae tae ye.”** He bowed politely to the ladies and moved away, leaving them to discuss the awkward situation.

Douglas approaching the Ablemarles and Maldon

It was probably time that he moved towards the church; others were beginning to file in. “Yer Graces, my Laird.” Douglas bowed respectfully to Lord and Lady Ablemarle and another fellow who was with them. “Tis a fine dae noo the wind haes deed doon.”*** He observed.

Subtitles

* “It will be a matter of legalities, Lady Toledo. In England, a lady’s husband or eldest brother is head of the house, and holds the money. If you pledged and your Lord husband refused to honour it, it would cause a problem.”

** “If you ladies will excuse me, Lady Susan can find me when the time comes. A good day to you.”

*** “Your Graces, my Lord. It's a fine day now the wind has died down.”

OOC: Edited as I realised that John had joined the Ablemarles as well.

Sophia, Davina and Douglas leaving

She breathed a silent thank you as Douglas gave a brief reason for why Sophia could not purchase a candle on her own. He was most assuradly correct.

"I am afraid that is the Truth Lady Toledo. Our Father's then Husbands have complete control over our lives - it cannot have been so different in your own Country? And what other way is there?"

She spoke as quielty as Douglas had but placed one hand gently on the others' arm

"You must not take offense Madam for none was intended. Lady Blount is but a servant, as are we all, of the Queen and tis She after all that has set the rules for this particular endevour."

"I should much like to have you join us - and I see no reason why your Husband would object to such a small thing. It will not take you away from your Duties at the Embassy."

It was then that Douglas took his leave and she agreed to pass the message onto Susan Herbert.

"Oh. There is Norfolk at last!" She breathed out a sigh of impatience.

"I must to him afore one of the other Ladies - for I intend to get him to pledge a candle - and he will not turn me away on this for too many watch. And besides as new-made Protestants what better way then to aid the Queen in her chosen cause?"

"You will pardon me leaving ... but I shall mark your name and send it to the Duchess of Ablemarle with your interest in joining. She will no doubt send word once we are established come the thaw. And you might seek out any others' that have a like mind!"

She had asked specifically, in case he wanted to be called Your Honor or some such, on account of being Lord Lieutenant of London, but as he selected the elemental form of address it made it much simpler. She was not without training. "Thank you Lord Langdon. And yes, I know my own form of address." she was not amused at being told how to say her own name. She gleaned he was a condescending sort of man.

"The candles are for the service. Lady Mountjoy suggested that the honor of lighting the tapers be an opportunity for the Houses to show christian good will. Five hundred pounds to Her Majesties charities." she explained slowly, clearly."

The stern tone that Lord langdon used made it's own point. "Your brother..." she looked at Bradley, and felt empathy. She knew what it was like to be the younger sibling under elders shadow. She did not want to humiliate him in front of Langdon, whom she'd taken a dislike to. "Your brother, he would like to give all to those less fortunate. It is his wish to give three candles, though his purse is not as large as his heart." she gave Bradley a small smile.

"Still, there are many ways to assist those in need." With pureness of belief in the goodness of Karolines aim, she looked from one Whitehurst to the other.

Aylesford & Basildon

"I have tasted enough misery for a lifetime." As anyone in the family would know. Jane Digby had nearly been the end of him, toying with him, and then shutting him down.

"Shall we come to dinner during the week?" Hen suggested easily, "Or we could go out somewhere, oh what about cards night on wednesday? We'll need find you a partner, so you aren't the odd man out." That was a first for Heneage. Usually he was the odd man out with no woman at his side. Life, it was a changing.

Sophia bids farewell to Davina and Douglas and approaches Lady Mountjoy

Douglas' explanation made more sense. If a lady wasn't legally able to donate in her husband's name, Sophia could understand why she had been denied. It was not a condition set by the Queen but a matter of law.

Davina agreed with Lord Dundarg. They were both very considerate of her feelings, as true friends should be. At one time, she might have railed against the unfairness of the situation, but she was mature enough now to know that there were some things she could not change. Esteban would have honored her pledge, she was certain of it, but she didn't mention it. There was no point.

She smiled at her friends and squeezed Mistress Wellsley's hand. “Thank you both for explaining things to me.” When Davina mentioned that the Queen set the rules, hope flared to life in her heart. There still might be a way …

Douglas excused himself. “A good day to you as well, Lord Dundarg.” Perhaps she would find a place in the pew beside them when it was time to take their seats. She had wanted to sing with him for a long time, and Church provided a perfectly proper opportunity to do just that. She also wanted to talk to him about the Bedlam situation. Sophia almost called out to him to save a place for her, but she didn't want Davina to get the wrong idea.

Davina prepared to leave as well. It seemed that she was going after the big fish today. “Thank you,” Sophia replied when her friend told her she would send her name to the Duchess of Abermarle, who was apparently in charge of the Gardening Society. She had heard the name before. Was it possible that she was part of the proper circles that the young Baroness wished to be accepted into? Maybe joining the Gardening Society would assist her in more than just learning how to grow plants.

“Good luck.” She squeezed Davina's hand again. “I hope you sell many candles.”

Once she had departed, Sophia went in search of Lady Mountjoy. Although they had never met, the petite blonde had seen her around court and had taken notice because she had heard that the Queen's Mistress of the Stole was also German. As she approached, she smiled warmly. “Good morning, Lady Mountjoy. I am Sophia de la Cerda, the Baroness of Toledo. May I speak with you for a moment, please?”

Charles and Nicolette

Nicolette repressed a grin at his rationale. "A fashionable sinner makes an intriguing, even enthralling topic in the salons, while a passé prude is tiresome to behold. One might be the fascination of the other, but never the reverse." Proper circles were known to talk for hours about those wayward beings. "Those that do not dare with their lives are cowards, I think." Nicolette had been a coward at Versailles, she'd been one of the ones who did not want to be talked about. Her excuse was the hatred against the Huguenots - but is there ever truly an excuse? "They take themselves so seriously, but then who shall the history books remember except those that make waves." Sadly (or not) the very ones who were so concerned with being accepted by proper society, were the very ones that would die forgotten to everyone.

"I was once thus." softly, she admitted to the Earl.

But no longer. Now Mademoiselle Vauquelin dared talk of to baring all, and while sitting in a house of god. For his part, Charles eyes flittered about the church, outwardly assessing, though she was not deceived to think he was admiring stained glass or ornate woodwork, his mind was considering possibilities. And the possibility he settled upon was...

"A walk in the park, how very dangerous." she commented in a wry tone. It was an anticlimax, lackluster at best, and did not gain her agreement.

Meanwhile he was far more creative in ways she could sing his charms, quoting a roman general, suggesting an epic ballad. Her interest was cooling, just as quickly as her feet might in the snow drifts he proposed she walk through. "Hmm... perhaps." she gave a small shrug and sought out the hymn book once more.

It was not flattering for a gentleman to go to so little effort.

A walk in the park. The obtuse John Burgoyne had suggested as much, and he had no imagination at all, but had the personality of a wet sock. Nicolette was disappointed. Quite.

Chatham stumbled upon the offer of a puppy. Previously she might have thought him cunning to suggest that, but now, she was less sure. Still, this idea held appeal. "His Majesty knows of me under the pseudonym of Envy, you shall intrigue him to suggest my name in that way. You may find him to be most curious to my identity," It would be a win for Chatham, pique Royal interest, drawing him into Buckinghams little intrigue. "...but you must promise me not to revel my identity."

The timing of that revelation was in Lord Kingston's hands.

Archived