JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Charity Begins at Church (Dec. 26 Morn)- Xmas 1677

Blackguard

Davina And John

That he had waited she appreciated and so she came right to the matter

"I must thank you Lord Maldon for not speaking about the circumstance in which we last meet. You will recall it. And also those present in that Garden. It serves no purpose in the retelling of it for few know of it. And I think wish to keep it thus."

"There was nothing untold on my part - I was merely a diversion, a ploy if you will, of another who plays His own Agenda. I wanted to speak this because I wish there to be no ill feelings bewteen the two of us. And to ensure that You took no slight from my play-acting with the Duke just now."

"There. So now you have heard the reasonngs and I so hope you will forgive."

She offered him a smile and even tho her voice had been quiet for his ears alone he must suruly be able to tell she was honest and really did not want to have caused him to feel that she had ignored the fact they had alread been acquainted.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John, introducing Davina and Ablemarle then departing to Norfolk, Ursula, and Sophia

John had never really believed in a woman’s intuition but the Queen’s ladies appeared remarkably capable of reading him. John wasn’t sure what to make of Davina’s claim. John had rather been under the impression that a great many people knew what he knew.

But he simply smiled a bit wanly, “It’s alright. There’s n-n-not much to forgive. I just… don’t like feeling I’m forgotten. I’m a bit oversensitive to it.” Still, the simple acknowledgement was enough to mend John’s mood. There was a game here he didn’t understand, one he’d struggled to understand that day. “You m-m-might wish to speak to mademoiselle about that day though. I think she took things a bit hard.”

In the mean though, John looked at Ablemarle, “But I think Lord Ablemarle wishes to speak with you,” John took Davina’s arm and led her to the duke, “It seems we are f-f-falling into a habit." He commented to the duke as, for the second time in twelve hours, he led over a lady, "This is Mistress Wellesley. And this is Lord Ablemarle.” John didn’t know if they’d met so he introduced them.

“Now then, if you’ll excuse me I must d-d-discuss candles with Lady Mountjoy.” That was as good a start as he could give to Davina. And he felt she would do better selling candles without him.

So with that he departed for Sophia, the Norfolks, and Ursula. He arrived shortly after the Norfolks and overheard Sophia speak of some institution she wanted to report to the Queen, but he hovered until the Norfolks actually approached.

Ursula, Sophia, the Norfolks and then John

"Her Highness has an interest in the welfare of the sick and the orphans," Mountjoy replied as she noticed the approach of the Norfolks. As Sophia explained about a need to meet with the Queen, Ursula whispered "later" in German. She needed to greet the Duke and Duchess.

"Your Graces," she greeted. "Do you know Lady Toledo?" The Queen's lady made introductions. "We are here because Mistress Wellsley convinced us to to light a candle in support of the Queen's charities. We were wondering how it will all work," the Duchess exclaimed

Ursula saw Maldon approach and then hesitate. "My Lord, are you here about lighting a candle as well? Was it Mistress Wellsley as well?" As far as she was concerned, it was better explaining the process to two contributors at the same time.

Ursula, Sophia, the Norfolks, and John

Orphans and the sick. Sophia had seen children begging on the streets and had felt sorry for them. They needed to be taken care of. And everyone should have access to treatment for injuries and illnesses, regardless of their financial situation. She assumed that the Queen planned to help the poor who were ill, for the wealthy were able to hire physicians.

As she was looking to do more charitable work, perhaps the Queen would appreciate her assistance. She was more interested in helping hands on than just donating money. Sick people might be calmed by her singing, and she could always play with the children and teach them skills that would be useful to them when they grew up. The building Lady Mountjoy had spoken of would most likely be an infirmary or an orphanage, or a combination of both.

She saw the Duke and Duchess of Norfolk approaching right after Ursula whispered that they could speak of her concerns later. Later, to Sophia, meant as soon as the couple departed. When introductions were made, the young blonde curtsied and smiled disarmingly. “It is an honor to meet you, Your Graces.” She kept her eyes mostly on the Duchess, so that she would not think she had designs on her husband. And in truth, she was interested more in Lady Norfolk, for she might be able to help her become accepted in those proper circles she wished to belong to, if Sophia could suitably impress her. Politeness was always a good place to start.

They wanted to speak to Ursula about the candles, and Sophia glanced around the lawn, noticing Lord Maldon heading in their direction. Instead of approaching them, though, he hung back. Lady Mountjoy saw him too and inquired whether he wanted to know about the candles as well. Once she finished explaining, perhaps she would be able to continue her conversation with Sophia. She had not yet told her where she should bring her husband tomorrow or when she would be able to meet with them.

Charles and Nicolette

Pleased with developments she replied airily, "At the least it might spare us of boredom." The courtiers bane.

"Sir I would give you till Thursday even if you managed to secure Lord Ranelagh's attendance, he is such a sorting gent, and with a panache I think you'd find agreeable. But yes Tuesday shall be fine, Wednesday for that matter, I've naught upon my calendar that I'd not sweep to the side for better company. There is only one I would beg you not to invite; Lord Roos, who is a fist-mouthed jade."

Charles blithely contemplated their effect; bleats of the uppity ones watching on. "La, you are an exhibitonist, mmm? Perhaps an executioner of..." a faux gasp, fingers to lips, "innocence. Pray there shall be blood on the snow before the end of the season." she giggled, caught up into the mood. Was this lass being insidiously led astray?

"Though still. Would you risk my forgetting you, to wait so long?" she gave a little sigh for effect. Afterall he was deferring their next meeting more and more, "mmm... though you might assuage my grief by frequent and passionate love letters; addressed to NV of course." it occurred to her as she said it, that letters like that might serve a further purpose, perhaps to provoke jealousy in a certain other.

"Trees and The Pipe are not a good match." she concluded with a shake of head. It was funny now that it was months past. "Well there, let us settle, you shall visit me at the Golden Pestle on the morrow, and I shall form you a prescription. It cant be done just on the spot Lord Chatham, I shall make some tests, and interrogate you thoroughly - one need find the cause. There is little point bandaging a wound, when the stake is still suck in ones side."

His affront of being called an invalid, playfully done, set her eyes to dancing again. Her voice dropped to a whisper, "Invalid, invalid, invalid." she goaded at his prompt, her heartbeat quickening. But it was utterly inappropriate. Leaning apart again, and loosing a sigh she expressed, "you are a worse tease than I have ever known Lord Chatham."

Charles and Nicolette

"This Ranelagh sounds a most excellent fellow. Would you know where one seeking his acquaintance would be best served to look? I shall endeavour to obtain his attendance, and for a day before Thursday, if at all possible."

Her giggling comments brought a sharp grin to his lips, revealing just a hint of tooth. He thought of Juliana and felt the grin widen.

"An exhibitionist, perhaps..." he purred, "but an executioner of innocence? Hardly. An undertaker, rather, one who commits innocence to its well-earned rest once the time has come for it to pass from the world, and treats the occasion with all due reverence and ceremony. But never anything so crude as an executioner."

Charles settled back into the pew as Nicolette continued. There was a great deal of enjoyment to be had in observing a talented coquette practicing her arts at close range, and Charles smiled with unfeigned pleasure as Mademoiselle Vauquelin wove her pretty little web.

"Oh, the very thought is a dagger to my heart. No, it is not to be borne." He nodded decisively. "Well, if by my actions I can keep from you the slightest grief, how can I fail to act? Letters you shall have, as passionate as my meagre wit can manage, and I shall brook no delay between this and our next meeting."

Laudanum once more proved a conversational asset, though this time as a topic rather than as a lubricant. Charles nodded along with Nicolette's conclusions, smiling in a relaxed fashion.

"Excellent. I do so enjoy an in-depth interrogation." He could have blamed the suggestive twist he gave the words on the laudanum, but in truth he'd have voiced the innuendo even had he been sober as a monk.

Besides, she started it.

"Now, where would I find the Golden Pestle? I assume that after lunch would suit you."

His eye flashed as Nicolette provoked him further and he barely suppressed an inelegant snort as she called him a tease. He followed after her as she leaned back, hand reaching out to innocently brush an errant lock of her hair back into place, and, quite incidentally and nowhere near innocently, trail softly across the delicate skin of her neck. He whispered in her ear.

"Have a care, mademoiselle. Should you press on, I might stop teasing."

He leaned back, smirking, and thus proved the truth of her accusation.

John, introducing Davina and Ablemarle then departing

"Good. Then I am well pleased that there is no slight taken and I hope that we shall further our connection."

About the next sentence she was not so pleased

"I think Mademoislle knows full well what occurred as she was instigator of the Event itself and the rest were merely the extras upon the Stage. if she has tempered herself to be the injured party and so wishes to be seen thusly then there is nought I can say."

"But when one aims for The Sun Lord Maldon one should be prepared to burn. She comes from the French Courts and so can not be a stranger to Court Ploys and Politics."

He would suruly get the metafore that 'The Sun' refered to the King Himself.

She stopped for to continue would only serve to make John think ill of herself and she did not want that to occur.

She offered her reverance to the Duke and Duchess as John made introductions. They would all be 'known' to the other but Davina had not had any real dealings with either. But if she could manage to also get this Duke to purchase well then she was going to win!

Lord Maldon then took his own leaving and Davina stood patiently waiting ready to offer an explination if it was requested.

John, Sophia, the Norfolks, and Ursula

John simply nodded, listening politely to anything Davina had said before he left. He didn't want to to make a fight of it, or take sides.

With the candle crew, John moved up once he was prompted, catching snippets of the conversation as he did so. He flashed a small smile to Sophia. He noticed her staring rather intently at the duchess and wondered if she had any idea of Sophia’s sneaking around. He wondered how the ducal couple would feel about it, or if they knew. Regardless, he remained quiet.

His own attention fixed on Lady Mountjoy, “Yes, I am. And was what Mistress Wellesley?” John had no idea of their competition. The question made no sense to him. In fact, he looked a tad perplexed at the whole proceeding.

Whitehurst & Whitehurst

"How can I find that out?" Bradley replied. If he was taken aback at all by the sincerity of Charles reply he hid it well. It sort of seemed like Charles was thinking about courting. Bradley guessed this because Charles actually said the word, courting.

Bradley tried keep a straight face, but was visibly relieved when his brother suggested something lighter. "A trade do you think, She can teach me german, and I can show her the English sights." He could see the opportunity in that.

"Err... how should I contact her. Shall I write to her, or would it be better to go ask her face to face?"

Charles and Nicolette

"Well." the question caught her on the hop - where did one hunt out Ranelagh at his leisure? "When I last saw him he was lively with the English King's company at the Opera. I should think you'll find him not far from Royal frolic, though if not there, then no doubt somewhere he ought not to be... such an cheeky gentleman as he is." Nicolette had little doubt that Ranelagh was insanely popular with all the ladies.

"So an undertaker truly more laudable than an executioner..." lips pursed, though she could excuse Chatham's countermand for it's eloquence, "...and here I fancied you with a large axe."

It is a difficult to maintain a pout for show, when ones companion is enjoying the game so fully, and there he was leaning back in the pew again with casual laissez-faire attitude that drove her wild. Nicolette's eyes flared appreciatively, before she slowly, deliberately, lifted her hand to inspect her manicure. "Then I shall probably not forget you... mmm, where is your house, Lord Chatham?" Her gaze swung from nails to the man.

If he said he lived next door to Chelsea Physic, she might just revise some of her plans.

Movement to the end of the pews caught her eye; Davina talking to Maldon, and then the pair separated again - Davina moving on to schmooze the Duke of Albemarle, or not, she did not seem to talk but just stood there.

Yet to her own moment, she lowered her eyes, pleased. "I'll meet you there after lunch then, we are on Friday street in the East End. No need to bring your own gag and chains, that is all part of our friendly service." Their teasing flirtation continued, though it all came to a head with his touch to her hair. It was audaciously bold for chapel, her bosom swelled with a muted gasp, while a tingle ran up her spine in sheer joy of it.

'Should you press on, I might stop teasing.'

Her breath was held, as though holding onto that brief moment even after he relaxed back into place. No do not stop!

Silently then, Nicolette sunk back into the pew, her hand touching her lips to silence as a surprising happiness bubbled within. She was not totally sure what had just happened, but she'd liked it.

Charles and Nicolette

"The more I hear of him, the more I like him. I shall seek him out then, and hope to report success shortly."

Charles meant that. Gentlemen with royal access made for excellent acquaintances, and Charles liked his friends to be mischievous. If he was half of what Nicolette said, Lord Ranelagh would make for an excellent companion.

As would Nicolette. Charles was only able to half swallow his laughter at her blatant innuendo.

"No axe, but as an undertaker I've been known to wield a sizeable shovel when burying innocence, along with more delicate tools for tasks requiring... finesse."

They both adopted poses of studied indifference and relaxation as their game continued. Charles knew his role in this, to flatter effusively, and the flare of Nicolette's eyes told him he had played it well.

"Merely probably?" He murmured. "How then would I make certain of being remembered?"

An inquiring glance before he spoke on.

"My house? I am in the market for one at the moment, and reside at St. Marks in the interim."

More innuendo as they arranged their next meeting. Charles kept a straight face but knew his enjoyment was shining out of eye.

"Gag and chains? I can see why you might want me tied down, but a gag? Surely the purpose of an interrogation is to draw the truth out of me from amongst the gasps and groans?"

The sacrilege added an extra thrill to their flirtation, and perhaps it was that that led Charles to further push the boundaries and lightly caress Nicolette's neck. The effect was most satisfying, the earl taking note of swelling bosom and held breath.

Most satisfactory.

Reclining back, Charles let his hand steal out along the pew to rest lightly against her's. Not caressing, merely providing a warm, tactile reminder of their closeness.

"But I take it you are a student of the arts of the apothecary? What first aroused your interest, if you don't mind the question?"

Davina and the Ablemarles

Introductions were made to the Ablemarles and then John departed. The Duke gave her an appraisal, as did the Duchess. The former was wondering about improper things while the latter was wondering how this Catholic chit had managed to become one of the Queen's ladies when her own sister had yet to be given that honor. Of course, this sentiment was hidden and Davina would not be able to glean it from Elizabeth Monck's attitude.

"A Happy Sabbath," the Duke proclaimed. There must have been a purpose behind the introduction so the ducal couple remained quiet to see if there was some intent of the part of Davina.

"God be praised," Ursula responded to the Norfolk and Maldon acknowledgement. "After the sermon by the Archbishop of Canterbury calling for more charity by those more fortunate in the eyes of God, he will mention the Queen's desire to take a lead in this new crusade for charity and will announce that lords and ladies of goodwill have responded with financial pledges." She looked at the Duke of Norfolk and Earl of Maldon, assuming that he had agreed to the terms explained by Davina presumably.

"Each of you will be called upon, in the eyes of God, the royal couple, and the entire congregation to step forward and light a candle of charity as a symbol of your commitment. Once acknowledged by the congregation for your good deed, you will be reseated. Later in the week, Her Highness will send her Chancellor to arrange for a collection of your financial pledges." She preferred not to mention the amounts in front of ladies. "Any questions?"

Others Arrive

The Merry Gang arrived en masse. Rochester and Dorset were at the head. Lord Roos, Charles Sedley and Alexander Merriweather followed closely behind. One did not miss Church, especially on holidays.

Robert and Anne Spencer arrived next, followed by the Earl of Devonshire and his son, Lord Cavendish and his wife. Shortly afterward came Heneage Finch Senior, the Royal Chancellor of England.

Sophia smiled politely at John and then returned her attention to Lady Mountjoy. As she explained the ceremony, Sophia felt better about not being a part of it. It wasn't what she had thought it was going to be and seemed more like an opportunity for vanity than for charity. Gentlemen would donate just to be seen doing a good deed, and not because they believed in the cause. The Queen might take notice of them, but she would know that some of them were not sincere and just wanted her to look upon them favorably.

If she had been allowed to pledge on her husband's behalf, it would have made the wrong impression, Lighting a candle would only look like a political move and not that Spain's representatives really cared about the welfare of the English people. A private donation, which she had suggested, would show Her Majesty that she and Esteban were serious about improving the lives of orphans and the sick.

Sophia remained silent during the explanation, waiting for the others to move on so that she and Ursula could continue their conversation.

John, the Norfolks, Sophia, and Ursula

“God is good.” John said the reply reflexively, though a bit confused. He’d asked a question and gotten no reply. He hitched slightly at the phrasing. ‘More fortunate in the eyes of God’ was an offensive way to put it, especially for John. But he nodded. Lady Somerset had told him as much.

His horror grew at the ceremony. It was vulgar and vain and his thoughts were much the same as Sophia's. Except John didn't even have Sophia's love of performance. “I’ll guh-give you a hundred more for the privilege of having my c-c-candle lit by the... archbishop for an anonymous lord. And for your promise not to tell anyone who I am, not even the Queen.” John said.

Whitehurst & Whitehurst

Charles could only wonder whether Bradley intended to proper or not with the German. "Bradley," he stated quietly, just to remind him of expectations, "this is not a girl to seduce. That is what commoners are for. For ladies like her, if you just want a pleasant outing to talk, you can ask her directly. If you are thinking that you might like to court her one day, then you write a letter to her guardian. So, I would ask her later, maybe after church if she would like for you to show her London. Do it in the daytime so it is not so threatening and so it does not look like you would put her in improper surroundings," he advised. That was enough counseling for one session he supposed. This was not the best time to have extensive conversations about ladies.

"Let's go inside and find a seat. If she turns to look for you during the service, then you know she is interested in you," he recommended.

Davina and Another Duke

Davina watched as the Earl departed then returned her attentions back to the Duke and his Wife.

"Thank You Your Grace." She smiled back and then added her own sentiments looking to the Duchesss first then back to the Duke.

"Indeed Your Grace I have been tasked by the Queen Herself this very morn on a Mission of Charity - in that any 'Gentlemen' that pledges five hundred pound shall be given the Honor of lighting an Alter Candle after the Archbishop speaks and this Cause announced - in full view of the Congreation."

She paused to allow her words to sink in

"Norfolk has already pledged as have a few others'."

The fact that the Preimier Peer had already taken a place ought to fire up the competiitive nature amongst those Peers not inclined to be left out. But she had no idea as to how well this Duke got on with Norfolk and whilst the sum was a goodly one not many at Court could with any feasibility actually have it in ready cash.

And Ablemarle might well wish to remain out of the limelight prefering to be a private donor instead and this did in all truth smack a bit of Public Display rather than a thing done simply out of Christian Charity - even if twas done by the Queen.

"If you have an intreset then I shall direct you to Lady Mountjoy - who is waiting in there and she will assist - for I needs must soon take up my own place inside ....."

She would not speak of her own cause prefering to think that the Duke would say it had been she that had sent him when questioned by Lady Mountjoy.

Louis and Hen

"That sounds grand, I shall introduce you to Mistress Siobhan Devin then." Hen smiled, "And I shall properly meet this cousin of yours. That's her over there isn't it, who's she talking to?"

"She sounds Irish." He tried to disguise the contempt he felt for that inferior ethnicity. Gratefully, the topic of conversation changed to Nicolette and his eyes moved in that direction. She was seated with a stranger. "That is her indeed. I must confess that I do not know the gentleman, but my cousin has a gift for attracting admirers as I attract trouble," he laughed. "Shall we go join them?"

Charles and Nicolette

Nicolette's eyes flitted towards the stream of new arrivals, one group of whom included the desolute Lord Roos. Yet surely the arrival of gents of the merry gang indicated that His Majesty would not be far behind. "Mm-hmm..." she nodded, distracted to Lord Chatham.

As the chapel filled with the who's-who, the air seemed more concentrated, the girls nerves grew - not that she would have anyone know that. Her pose was deliberately indifferent, even if she did shift a little to ensure people entering the church could see her beyond Chathams bulk.

"I would think that ingenuity of some manner would set you apart." she replied to Chatham, "ingenuity that I am quite certain you are capable of without needing instruction. Although... presenting yourself so willing for a challenge, I would wonder if fulfilment of a dare would lock you into my esteem, though not to exclude a stream of love letters..." she motioned with her head, almost imperceptibly, towards the merry gang.

She might not press on if he was reluctant, but if showed interest she was fully prepared to figure a challenge that might propel him into their midst.

So he did not have a manor at Chelsea - her plans need not shift. She smiled. "I have heard some speculation of why they named Saint Marks as they did..."

As silly talk often enough does, she'd gone a bit too far with talk of gags. "Ahh?" Nicolette faltered, her lashes fluttered as her mind sought a verbal escape. But none came. Upon a sigh she shook her head and her lips shifted with a little embarrassment, "but really, I hope I might learn something to help." Her sincere do-gooder heart was not what she'd seduce empires and build a a future upon, and she was a bit embarassed as it came out on show.

Now stilled, silence fell around them, a rather tingly static-energy sort of silence from which passion hovered over. Mon dieu! His finger brushed, then rested alongside her own -- and her breath, so tightly held, came quavering out between parted lips.

He asked her a perfectly reasonable question then. Why then did she not simply answer it? Why then did her cheeks flush? Why indeed was her only response at that moment was a shifting of pinky across his own...

Louis and Hen

"That she is." so high was his admiration of Miss Devin he imagined, Hen did not perceive any contempt in his cousins tone for her own Irishness, but supposed Louis had other Irish enemies. "No relation to the Butlers." he said, though he had not been previously aware of Louis feelings of them.

"I suspect we'd be unwelcome." Heneage clicked his tongue, feeling newly wise and generous of matters between men and women. "Ah, but I heard of some manner of queens charity work on the way in, there is Lady Davina, she shall be able to inform us no doubt. Come along Cousin." he encouraged Louis towards the queens lady.

Whitehurst & Whitehurst

OOC: Geep, Bradley&Dorothea were already inside (in the warm!). Lets just blur our eyes on that bit, and carry on.

IC:

"I knew that." Defensively Bradley returned with a sharp look.

Still, she was the first noble woman who'd showing him any attention, and Charles could talk. Never at home, attending a revolving door of ladies.

"I'll leave it to her to make the first move then." not knowing what else to do, he resolved this stand, meanwhile looking about for where she'd gone to. Rather blatantly watching her, and sighing when he saw her with a gentleman finely dressed wearing a very expensive looking wig.

"Charles, I'd been wanting to talk to you about my allowance."

Charles and Nicolette

Charles would have been totally unsurprised to learn that his ears pricked up like a horse's at the mention of the word 'dare.' He knew for a fact that his nostrils flared like a hunting dog picking up the scent. A slight shift of posture allowed him to discreetly cast his gaze in the direction indicated.

The Merry Gang. Excellent.

"Oh, I do love dares, particularly ones that offer such a prize. Have you a specific challenge in mind?"

He knew there was boyish excitement in his voice, quite at odds with the jaded roué he had been playing thus far, but could not bring himself to care. There was a promise of action and intrigue in the air, however minor. How could he be anything but excited?

Charles grinned at Nicolette's teasing reaction to his current domicile.

"Oh? What speculation would that be? I'll confess that I have not thought about the name overmuch."

They spoke on, an elaborate dance of innuendo and quip that was almost scandalous, given the setting, until talk of chains and gags seemed to bring Nicolette to a halt. That seemed incongruous to Charles, after what he had seen of her and considering her stated purpose. Indeed, the change from accomplished coquette to embarrassed ingénue almost shocked him. He smiled gently and softened his tone.

"Even the attempt is greatly appreciated mademoiselle. Anything further I might gain from our meeting would be a treasured bonus."

He watched her in that deliciously tense silence. Breath quivering and a blush suffusing her features, she looked unbearably lovely. He felt an almost irresistible impulse to kiss her and, had they been anywhere else, he might well have given in. Instead, he simply twined his fingers with her's and gave Nicolette a smile, politely ignoring her temporary discomfiture.

I can be patient, at need.

Patient? Or sickeningly sentimental?

Charles and Nicolette

There could be no mistaking Charles as a reluctant competitor; he practically salivated for the firing of a start-gun. Pleased with herself, Nicolette dawdled... it was a bit like Buckingham had taught her. Patience, patience, accelerated the excitement, not to rush, and watch the other pant.

Figuratively usually.

Although Lord Chatham was literally hanging off her words...

The power was enthralling.

"Well, when first I met Roos, he would not tell me his name, but told me it was a mystery he'd only reveal if we went outdoors - alone." She spoke, allowing an idea with relevance to grow of it's own volition, "Alas the gentleman misjudged his appeal to me, and I declined. Such arrogance, though I must admit, that I have been since peeved that he never re-tried. I would have enjoyed turning him down a second and third time." There. She knew what the dare would be.

Turning back to Chatham she supposed, "I dare you to dupe him into belief that I am enamoured of him, I dare you to inspire him to approach me. Then you and his fellows may laugh with glee of a slight delivered to his face." Could it truly be this easy? "There you shall have your grand entrance to their company, and I shall have my revenge. Mmm...? Perhaps both of us shall then share an enemy, but, pfft, sharing an enemy can be such fun."

While she appreciated his gentle reply, Nicolette was content not to talk shop. In a whisper the Frenchwoman agreed, "But for now let us survive with nefarious motive intact..." She was aware they approached an upstanding edge that neither seemed to particularly desire. These two had barely finished mocking the overly righteous moralists of Whitehall, they had a jaded standard to proudly uphold. A jaded standard that was further threatened by long moments of exquisite tension, all for the mere touch of a finger.

Get out your smelling salts Lady Mountjoy, before someone swoons.

Ah!

With a mental shake Nicolette took a breath. "Bon Chance Lord Chatham!"

Charles takes his leave of Nicolette...

Charles smiled wolfishly, a feral light shining from his eye. The game was afoot.

"Luck, mademoiselle, is for the mediocre."

He gave her hand a last, brief caress as he rose and bowed.

...and approaches the Merry Gang

Charles arranged his features as he advanced upon his quarry, adopting the faintly rueful expression and ironic smirk of a proud man thwarted and temporarily frustrated but taking it in good humour. He nodded companionably as the distance closed.

"Good morning gentlemen. You look warmer company than that I just left, so I hope you shall pardon the intrusion. Charles Audley, Earl of Chatham, at your service."

Maldon's declaration made an impression on Ursula. The man preferred to give money anonymously. It was a welcome surprise. "Granted my lord," she assured him. "And thank you for the modesty."

The Norfolks did not share the desire to go unnoticed. This donation was intended to permit them to stand before the Protestant congregation and be noticed. These were important goals for the Duke and his wife. As such, they stayed silent except to say "we shall look for the cue for the Archbishop."

The Duke and Duchess listened to Davina's plea for charity. Her words were met with a long period of silence as the two looked at each other inquisitively. In the end, it was the Duchess who spoke. "We should be happy to donate. Won't we my husband?" Chris gave a wry smile. "I suppose so."

The Duchess had a motive, much the same as the others; but, in particular, she wished to see her sister added to the Queen's retinue. "I think we should ask Frances to light the candle for us," she revealed to her husband, who looked confused.

Pleased that she had been successful she nevertheless kept her quiet composure and when the Duchess spoke about candle-lighters added

"I think it best, Your Grace, to seek out Lady Mountjoy - for I believe that there is some Order to this - and I am not privy to those details."

Her gaze traveled then back to the Duke and she hid a smile. Here then was even more evidence that twas the Wives that truly manulipated and the Husband was left following behind.

'ah. So the Duchess wants a family member to be on view. And mainly into the Queen's line of sight. A sister no doubt'

Davina guessed the motive and gave a mental shrug. Was nothing new in that. It was a thing practiced always here At Court. Advancing ones Family in the eyes of the Monarch insured that some favor or favors came to them - and the Duchess was certanily trying it now.

"Perhaps you might seek her out now ...."

It was her way of ending this meeting. She would wait a moment or two then give them both a nicely done reverence and a "Bless You" then take her leave.

She had seen Charles but he had gone inside and so she supposed that her time of searching was up. Once free of the Ablemarles she would make her own way inside and to her assigned place.

That she was a Catholic was well enough known and that she was now here for THIS service might set some to wondering - had she, like Norfolk, forsook her Faith and was now making that plain? Or was she simply playing Politics - as almost everyone was these days.

Davina knew where her bread was buttered. She also knew WHO had all the Power.

For Now.

Chatting with the Merry Gang

Chatham approached the quintet of gentlemen that seemed content to sit in the back of the church, just in case an avenging angel should arrive and they need a hasty exit. It was Charles Sackville who acknowledged Charles first.

"A good morning Chatham. That's a face I've not seen here before. I am Dorset and this is Rochester, Roos, Sedley and Merriweather." Sedley was the oldest, then perhaps Roos and Dorset. Rochester's youthful exterior had given way to lines on his face traceable to his tortured existence. Merriweather was as old as the others, but displayed a feminine youthful face augmented by layers of cosmetics.

Roos replied "if you think us warmer company than Mademoiselle Vauquelin then you leave us to question your judgment."

Rochester was obviously sizing up the Earl of Chatham with a visual inventory of his features and clothing. He was deciding whether he thought the eye patch was dangerously appealing. It would not wok so well on me. Nevertheless, Johnny was determined to add a golden eye patch to his next wardrobe. Merriweather enjoyed a visual appraisal as well, wondering if the Earl was a libertine or had merely stumbled into the wrong group.

"I've been to Chatham," Sedley revealed, "when I was lost on a trip to Canterbury. A lovely spot in Kent."

Chatting with the Merry Gang

Charles smiled amiably as Dorset made the introductions, allowing his eyebrows to dart upwards in what he hoped appeared to be hastily concealed surprise as Roos was named, a necessary bit of theatre for his ends.

"There's a coincidence," Charles murmured, half to himself, before continuing at normal volume, grinning at Roos. "My judgement has been questioned before. It can bear being doubted again, I think, though in this case I deem it sound. Mademoiselle does not know whether she is a tigress or a kitten and, frankly, I lack the patience to wait for her to decide. Life is entirely too short."

Charles moved to seat himself in the pew, aware that he was being appraised but politely ignoring it. At this point of his life he was used to drawing attention. If he was honest, he rather enjoyed it. It appealed to his vanity, even if he would rather his appraisers be female.

I suppose Merriweather is feminine enough, were one drunk and squinting.

Giving himself a mental shake, Charles turned his attention to Sedley as the latter confessed to once having the ill luck to visit Chatham.

"Oh you poor unfortunate! What crime had you committed to deserve that?" He laughed. "No, it is a lovely spot, merely lacking in... diversion, shall we say. I find that I grow restless when my stay is prolonged."

Whitehurst & Whitehurst

Charles Whitehurst would not be the first guardian to indicate to a younger brother to do what I tell you instead of what I do. It was not exactly clear that Charles would even acknowledge that he was doing too much womanizing. He had mostly true to his first wife and had been a virgin for the first 20 years of his life, so that meant only a year or two of forward behavior with ladies. That seemed good behavior, at least in his own mind.

He was about to caution Bradley against awaiting a lady to make the first move, rarely a successful strategy, but decided that it might keep his younger brother more out of trouble. As such, he nodded his head in agreement. Sorry Bradley. Better you stay with servant girls in the neighborhood.

As for Bradley's allowance, Charles knew what was coming. "If there is something you would like to purchase that you cannot afford, if you make a good case for it, I will give you additional money." That was a way to keep some control over additional expenditures. "Is there something you want for a holiday present Bradley? I'd like to give you something that would make you happy." Brothers were less likely to be warm to each other than brothers and sisters, but Charles wanted to have a closer relationship than he enjoyed with his other brother William. Bradley was of the age and temperament to get into mischief, so the Earl thought it better to stay on the lad's friendly side. He might be more apt to listen to his advice in the future thereby.

Lord Maldon's response impressed Sophia as well. He, like herself, was more interested in helping the unfortunate than being recognized for it. She smiled over at him before turning her attention back to Ursula and the Norfolks, who were apparently among those who wanted to be seen. She didn't think less of them for it. That was what this event was for, after all.

The next time she met with John, she would ask him how much interest he had in doing charitable work. Perhaps he would like to join her in her own efforts. At the moment, she just stood silently beside Lady Mountjoy, patiently waiting to resume their discussion.

Archived