JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Charity Begins at Church (Dec. 26 Morn)- Xmas 1677

Blackguard

OOC: Sorry, I missed your reply!

Nicci and the Winchesters

"That would be marvelous, and you must truly visit just any time." Nicolette was her most welcoming of Winchesters ideas. Who knew what might come of it.

“Aha, I had thought that you were called away upon some question of the charity." Nicolette replied, now reminded of the many hats that the man before he wore. Indeed, it only just dawned on her that this might be the same Winchester that had teas for sale at Catrionas?

"Excuse my question, but are yours the herbal teas at Lady Aylths? I had wondered to meeting the physician behind those. For my own part, you may have heard that I have a hand in The Golden Pestle, just across the street from the Free clinic. It seems we are in a position to assist each other my Lord - you with a need for supply for your blends, and the clinics dispensary, and I with need of customers." she smiled.

As to what Nicci thought of England, there was honesty in hr eyes as she replied, "I simply adore both the people and the opportunity. La, my sun has set upon the Hall of Light!" she gave a grin at the turn of words. Her wit was not acute enough to truly thrive in Versailles, her nature was a better match for Whitehall. Though not born in England, she was born for it.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By the Carriages

"Others?" John said, confused by the vagueness of the term. John looked to Cavendish to see if he had some idea of the meaning. "We c-c-can ride back separately if you want." He offered, we being him and Lord and Lady Cavendish, "And we c-c-can eat at my house afterward." Which was right next to Devonshire's. It seemed a bit absurd though.

Davina and Richard

She looked at him fully then as he said he hadn't meant Cousin Henry a frown appearing between her brows

"Then just What are you saying if not Henry? Have You and Norfolk been conspiring about another when Henry tis the only one worth the effort?"

"Look to yourself in that regard Richard and I do not like that reference to mine age so best to not use it again." It was no empty threat and he knew her and her temper.

"Very well. My List. There are six Dukes but only Norfolk has an heir close enough to me. Newcastle's is a boy of eighteen and I am his elder by two years soon to be three as you so kindly pointed out so I think not. So that leaves Henry for me if I am to be the next Duchess of Norfolk and not Peterborough's daughter Mary."

"True, she is the only daughter and heiress to her Father, and I am but the daughter of a Viscount but I am better connected that she - that is why tis so very Important that you align Yourself Richard with a suitable woman."

Her referring to his current companion would not be lost on him.

"Worcester - his son is another too young at seventeen and Winchester's is even younger so they are out. That leaves the available Earls. Danby. Well Peregrine has I suppose redeeming qualities yet I think not for me. Rochester has no wife and he is my elder but again I think not - for obvious reasons."

"Then there is Langdon."

Here her heart skipped a beat and she had to keep herself in check for her affair with him was a secret so she had to be careful to not appear too interested.

"He also has no wife and is older than I. I have no real 'objection' . Then there is Pembroke's younger brother Thomas and he is Heir Presumptive to both Earldoms of Pembroke and Montgomery and he and I have an acquaintance and he is nothing like his brother thank goodness!"

"I have also been approached by another Gentleman who is not English. German I believe and He is called Sebastian von Brühl, Freiherr von Brühl .... I dare say I have mangled that! He is known to Lady Mountjoy. He is but a Baron here and I have no desire to leave England."

"So tell me - does my 'list' match what you are thinking? I am curious to see just how far you are willing to go to see me married well. I will not settle and will not be forced."

How he would respond to such a listing she did to known but she was sure that he would be taken back by how well versed she actually was.

"And now you must tell me what else is afoot and to whom you have been conspiring with."

She did not mention the fact that the Queen and given her a timeline on propose - if he were to speak of it then she would know that he HAD been in the Queen's confidence - a thing she had suspected anyway by the timing of it.

Davina

"Henry has rebelled against Norfolk. I fear he will be cut off, if not disinherited. No, Davina, Norfolk is willing to entertain a match with his other son George!" Davina would recall that George was the eldest son of Norfolk and his mistress Jane Bickerton, now the Duchess of Norfolk. They had produced several children, all which were technically illegitimate but were made more acceptable by the Duke marrying their mother.

"The Queen is the child of her father's mistress. He never properly divorced his first wife according to some, so it is becoming more accepted to welcome children of a second marriage. Think of it Davina, if he disinherits Henry, everything goes to George and his siblings! The Duke said he would consider my petition on your behalf. The Duke of Norfolk would be your father-in-law! The most wealthy and distinguished dukedom in the kingdom." He was looking rather proud of himself for arranging the whole thing. "Forget Henry. He is Catholic and ostracized."

"I have been looking at Thomas Bruce as well. He has Scottish royal blood and heir to a couple of earldoms north of the border. I've only met him once, but he was recommended to me. Avon is another possibility, but he is a Catholic."

Of Davina's list, Richard liked only Herbert and Langdon. "Herbert is wealthier and has more grand titles. He is close to the King these days I hear. He is probably the best. Langdon would be excellent too. A Queen's lady and a Life Guard officer. A good match," he agreed with a smile. "He has his own regiment and is Lord Lieutenant of London. If there is ever an invasion or, God forbid, a civil war he could be a very powerful figure. " He seemed excited with both possibilities, but not so much as he was pleased with his own idea. He too was less enamored with the German prospect.

"Should I go speak with them on your behalf? Would they be interested do you think? They may not be interested in a Catholic wife." He gave a skeptical look. "Would you like to meet George first? Norfolk would have us to dinner."

By the Carriages

“Ah, I suppose.” John seemed to consider the prospect. Last time he’d rushed away to meet a lady. Honestly, if he had that chance again he might take it rather than mingle. John looked back, trying to find what looked like a good prospect. Most of his friends were missing or already engaged. “Is there anyone you think I should m-m-meet?” He asked.

Cavendish offered to come over for tea. “Certainly.” John said to tea with a smile. He was curious to see what Cavendish made of his house. Perhaps he would show him the secret rooms.

Sophia and Douglas

His lips lingered on her dainty fingers a moment longer than was strictly proper, clasped as they were in his much larger hand. She had such pretty hands, and her husband wasn’t Anglican. He smiled as he released her, thinking that there were other places he would like to kiss her. Instead he offered her his velvet-clad arm, that they might walk together.

So Anne had said nothing. In truth, he wondered whether she was interested. At least, she’d yet to be given cause to be interested. “The Queen haes a passion fer charity.” He observed. At least to judge by the morning’s goings on. “Whither that weel extend tae carin’ aboot the folks o’ Bedlam, I dinnae ken.”* He admitted, not entirely certain how much he wanted to get involved himself, but clearly Sophia cared about them and that was enough for him.

He sucked his teeth thoughtfully. “Whaur’s the money?” He asked quietly, almost to himself. It led to the answer to so many crimes. “I mean, whaur’s the money comin’ frae?” He elaborated as the thought progressed, brain connected directly to mouth. “Thaim that pay Bedlam’s bills weel be most likely tae care whit happens tae their money.”** There was the fully formed thought.

Subtitles

* “The Queen has a passion for charity. Whether that will extend to caring about the people of Bedlam, I don’t know.”

* “Where’s the money? I mean, where’s the money coming from? Those that pay Bedlam’s bills will be most likely to care what happens to their money.”

Davina

It was a surprise. Making her stop in her place and turn to look fully up at her brother her voice a bit louder but still being cautious and remembering that anything might be carried on the wind.

"You cannot think to do that! Marry me off to George who's Norfolk's son tis true but by his second wife Jane - and SHE but the daughter of the King's Gentleman of the Wine Cellar for Importance!"

Her eyes flashed as her temper began to surface

"And say it was so done and I was Norfolk's daughter-in-law and yet He plays ALL for fools and Henry inherits - as I believe he will - then what? My sons will have nothing! Nothing save for what Norfolk has writ when he dies and even then Henry can override that. So then you would have me live on Charity mayhap or Pray that mine husband makes good some career in Politics or manages to keep and hold the King's Good Grace ....."

She had to pause for breath and it blew out in puffs into the chilled air and her furred hood she pushed back giving her face the coldness she needed.

"And say George dies, which he could, would Norfolk give back my jointure do you think? Or if Norfolk is dead would Henry? Am I then to be a widow who then needs must beg off her brother for support?"

"And what of my children - children of a Father who some still see as 'illegitimate' - what of their futures?"

"Is that what you would want for me? Is it?"

All this was simply heresy yet Davina knew it was certainly possible and she was determined to make every point clear to him.

She would address the others once she had his reply to this

Douglas and Sophia

Delightful sensations blossomed through her small form and her heartbeat quickened when his lips whispered over her fingers. At first she thought that he would not let her hand go, and the notion pleased her immensely. Sophia pouted prettily when he released it, and took his arm instead. As long as he maintained some kind of physical contact with her, she would be content.

As they began to walk, he echoed her own doubts about the Queen. Would she care enough about the welfare of the insane to make the inquiry Sophia hoped for? Or would she be too busy with her own charities to give the situation much thought? It was possible that Lady Mountjoy might not even tell her about it. The mad were locked away to keep them from view. Insanity was a disturbing affliction that most people were not even comfortable talking about.

“I wonder the same thing. But I want them to have justice and she has more authority than we do. When I meet with Lady Mountjoy tomorrow, I will ask her what Her Majesty said about it.”

Sophia blinked when he asked where the money was. What money? Oh, he was wondering where Bedlam received its funding. “I do not know,” she admitted. The velvet of his sleeve was soft beneath her gloved hand and as she pondered his question, she absentmindedly stroked his arm.

“Would not the families of the patients pay for them to be kept there? I would like to think that they care, but what if they just want inconvenient relatives out of the way? By declaring them insane, they would get their money and possessions and could simply forget about them. That is one thing that I am afraid of: that the warden refused to let us visit the patients because some … or even, most … of them are not mad at all.”

Maldon

Shall we say two o'clock?" Cavendish replied, ready to depart. "I shall meet you there."

Davina

"Keep your voice down," Richard admonished. "We can speak with Norfolk. I am certain he will provide something for George, such as a property and leave him something of an inheritance. Arundel is only entitled to the entailed estates, if not disinherited. Young Henry is a Catholic and Lords will be sympathetic to the father. George is taking the oath, as should you."

"As for George's mother, what about your Mistress' mother?" By that he meant that she was a lady in waiting to Karoline's father's first wife. "I doubt she had any importance. What would the Queen say about your concerns?" Richard tried to speak as quietly as possible since the topic was so sensitive.

"You would be the daughter-in-law to both the Duke and Duchess of Norfolk. You would wed their first born male. I think your concerns are foolish Davina. This would be an excellent match for both of us."

Charles and Catherine

His eyes had been casting about for Davina but saw her with other ladies so he returned his gaze to Catherine. "Grand. I'll have to make an early evening of it," he added. No doubt Catherine would think those words were uttered for the benefit of his 12 year old ward; but, he meant it for her as well. While offering to visit Caroline, he had not considered the possibility of an infant coming to dinner. Did anyone bring infants to such events?

"We will see you then Catherine," Charles uttered as he sought to gather Frances and Bradley for the coach ride home. There was a meeting with Susan in the passageways that required his presence.

Davina

She had expected him to react but not as he had and thus she took a few steps back her mouth slightly ajar which might tell him something even before she spoke.

It seemed too long but was actually minutes when she did.

"So now I begin to see the way of it. Now I understand why this sudden name appears - tis for the feathering of YOUR nest Richard and I'm the means you will use - You have it so well thought out You and the Duke."

"He has convinced enough to make you fall into his plan and Norfolk being Norfolk thinks nothing of using women as the means to the desired result. He has not changed nor will he ever disinherit Henry his 'true' son Richard."

She had not raised her voice again

"I will not go along. Not in this. You play me as a pawn the both of you with little consequence and give to me the burden when its clear that I spoke True about Norfolk."

"In that you are mistaken. Think you that a Queen has no power? You think tis only the King that manages to move all the pieces about - the late Queen, God Rest Her Soul, was much skilled and my current Mistress will soon give Him a child and if that is a son just how High can she climb on that one thing along? She will be denied Nothing. Courtiers who have spoken ill of her will flock to her side all eager to profess their Love."

"Do not, I beg you, ever speak of Her like that in my presence again."

"As to the others' you spoke of - I think the German is best kept for flirtations not marriage. Kinross and I have met already and he seems well enough but then will he remain here? His Earldoms are in Scotland but then what matter - if I am good enough to marry Norfolk's other son on a maybe for being the next Duchess why think it ill to be mated with a Scottish "Prince" and so decamp to the Wilds there hmmm?"

"Herbert is pleasing as is Langdon. Herbert is the better prospect naturally and being his Countess twice over not such a bad thing. Langdon's Countess would not be bad. He is ... He is attractive and possesses a charm."

She had been speaking more off to the side and so might have missed any of her brothers thoughts but he would see clear that she was now rather deflated. So quick a change that only resulted from her surprise at his professed Ambitions.

But there was hurt in her eyes as well as she focus back on him.

"I am chilled through. I have to return to the Palace. Other than force I will not marry George. I know Mother will side with you simply because its "Norfolk" so there is nothing for me there with her nor do I expect it. I see now how mistaken mine own thinking has been."

She gave a small shake of her head and her attempt at a 'smile' fell short as she continued

"You needs must think of You first and how best to benefit from using me for I am the only sister after all and meant to sacrifice for the Good of the Family. That is the true way of it and to have thought any other was foolishness. I will not make trouble for it serves no purpose."

"Very well see me mated. I will tell you this - Her Grace has tasked me to wed in the New Year - and tis fitting that this shall be done and She will be most pleased with You. My choice is Herbert first then Langdon on the English side. I too have Ambitions."

"My Lord"

She gave him a low reverance with a very straight back. Her manner was as chilled as the air as she turned from him to walk slowly away in the direction of the Palace uncaring of the tears that brushed her cheeks. The Lesson had been hard and bitter. Her Brother was Master and she had to Obey. He would not apply forced she believed and twas far better to have a voice, however small, in the choosing.

Herbert was a good match. Pembroke needed to approve it but there was not much in the way of negativity and at least she and Thomas had a connection that over time might develop further. As for Langdon,well, the tears were for him and for what might have been.

Even the idea that she could remain his lover did little to cheer her.

John approaching Davina

"Two then," John said with a smile. His family was, of course, always welcome. John saw Davina breaking away from someone (he did not recognize her brother). She looked very upset and while the two were not close, she had treated him kindly last season, so John felt well disposed to her. He smiled to his relations and excused himself.

John walked over casually enough but his face clouded with honest concern, "Is everything alright... Mistress Wellesley?" He asked, gingerly, as if probing if she wished to talk about it. Perhaps she would rather be alone or exit immediately.

Davina

Silly girl. She does not understand.

Realizing that he had gone too far in insulting the Queen, Richard nodded his agreement. "I shall say nothing more of it."

On the other matter he felt anything but wrong. "It will benefit the family," he insisted. "This is not just for me." Left unsaid was that Norfolk had offered him one of his daughters. "It draws our family closer to Norfolk. You act as though that is a bad thing. If you would rather have Henry as a husband and can convince him, you have my leave." Richard thought there was little possibility of that. "You are right that mother will be delighted with the idea of a union with a son of Norfolk, including George. She will be equally mystified at your response. Even if he does not become Duke one day, great honor will be given you and our family. It is said that he is the Duchess' favorite as well. You will be provided for, sister."

At first Davina refused and then acknowledged her duty. She will come around. "Yes it is your duty to elevate our family's status and you will do so by marrying Norfolk's son. It will then allow me a better match for myself. I am willing to give up Eleanor as a wife if you do this." Left unsaid was the fact that he had come to the realization earlier that he could not marry the Needham girl. He knew how important this was to Davina. "If I marry her, the regard for the family would go down and you would find it harder to get a good match. I know this, and I know my duty."

She seemed so unhappy, which even an aloof brother could feel. He knew in his heart that Norfolk wanted Davina to help the value of his other children. If one of his bastards could marry well, it would set the standard and value for the rest. Yet, was that not the purpose of marriage matches -- to find value when opportunity presented it?

"Get Herbert, Langdon, Kinross, or cousin Henry to approach me with an offer before the end of the year and I will tell Norfolk no. Otherwise, you should go for a carriage ride with Norfolk himself. Let His Grace present his case. You will feel much better about it if you do. The Duchess would speak with you too. Hear them out I beseech you. They both like you and would enjoy having you as a daughter-in-law."

He allowed Davina to take her leave knowing full well that his sister would do her duty. At worst, she would be held in the loving embrace of the Howard scions. Most any lady at court would envy that, or so Richard assumed.

It was only after Davina separated from her brother that Maldon would approach. He did not recall meeting the man before. Did I see him with some of the Cavendishes? He continued to watch and see if his sister turned.

Charles and Catherine

Charles was right. Catherine did think that he was saying he would retire early because he wanted to be alone with her. She had no intention of bringing Caroline along, although his ward would probably adore playing with her. Tomorrow night when they were lying in each others arms, satisfied and content, she would ask him when he wanted to see her.

She did not see his gaze linger on any lady in particular. Nor did she see Fiona MacBain. Maybe she had left already. Her brother was still here, though, strolling amiably with the wife of the new Spanish Ambassador. He was so tall that he was impossible to miss. Where had Fiona gone? Was she planning to meet Charles later? Was that why he didn't want to see her tonight?

He didn't have a witty retort for her. Instead he bid her good-bye. Was it her imagination or did he seem a bit distracted? Unfortunately, there was nothing she could do now but let him go. However, she would stick around until he left to make sure no one else joined him and that his coach was headed toward his residence.

“Until tomorrow,” she agreed, and with a smile to his brother and ward, she turned and walked back toward the area where most of the congregation had gathered.

~finis~ for Catherine unless someone else wants to talk to her.

Davina and John

His voice broke her thoughts and and she turned automatically the Courtiers Mask falling into place with no effort. She brushed at her cheeks with a gloved hand then offered him a small smile.

"Lord Maldon." Said on a small curtsey. "Oh tis just the wind making my eyes thusly that and a disagreement with my brother Baintree. Which occurs between siblings as I am sure you know all to well!"

He would believe her naturally.

"Are you going in the direction of the Palace - if so might I beg use of your arm? Tis a bit slippery and I am chilled to the bone from standing ..... Have you been keeping well?"

She did not venture a look back for she knew that He still watched. Once in solitude she would begin her own campaign - in so far as she could. Being a Duchess was Ambitious and if she meant to try then Henry not George must be the one. But then again Henry was already mated.

Might it not be better all round to move to Herbert instead? At least they had some acquaintance and a Christmas Court offered endless Possibilities in the days ahead .....

John smiled in reply, “Ah yes, the wuh-wind often b-b-blows dirt in the eyes.” Nevertheless, John held out a handkerchief, “To wipe… it out.” He explained. He did not comment on the tiff between siblings, but noticing the man’s attention seemed to be on them waved. It was a bit unusual to meet the woman before her guardian, though the circle around the King cared less for social niceties.

John wasn’t, in fact, going the way of the palace but he still held out his arm. “I’ll w-w-walk you there.” He said with a warm smile. It was not far out of his way to go from there back to Piccadilly. “I’m d-d-doing fair enough.” John said. Church generally picked up his mood. “And what of you?” He wanted to ask after the 'dirt' in her eyes but was too polite to bring it up directly.

It appeared he would be leaving to spend some time with a lady after all.

OOC: Would you like to go to a side thread?

Davina with John

She accepted his kerchief and dabbed as was expected and gave a small chuckle as he turned to 'wave' back at her brother. How that will set him to wondering what she was about now!

"I will introduce you to my brother Richard next time - do you know of him? His is actually Viscount Baintree in the formal sense Lord Maldon."

That he offered his arm without question even if perhaps he was not headed where she had asked raised him up in her mind. She thought to slow her own pace to his and the excuse of the unstable ground would be the ruse used. She knew his impediments and would try to help ease as best she could. Yet he was, by all appearances, managing quite well.

"I too am well enough. Tis unusual for a Christmas Court here and so London is more crowed than normal and ever inch of space is taken up - some sleep three to a bed so I have heard!"

"Your arm is quite warm and I thank you for the use of it."

She was sincere in her words. She had no reason to think anything of the man that walked by her side there than that he was new-come to Court and so she set about to find out more.

"How are your Family? Were they in Chapel - I was in Attendance so did not have a chance to observe overly much - you have sisters yes?"

(yes please to side thread)

“Not at this moment, though I anticipate I shall receive Her Majesty’s call to Charity at some point in the near future.” James observed dryly. After all, the Queen’s Ladies couldn’t be expected to go collecting the promised donations; he fully anticipated that being his job.

The young lady’s next question caught him off guard, though perhaps it should not have. “At Lady Alyth’s Tea Shoppe?” He clarified. “Why, yes, they are. She devises the flavoured teas, but I provide a selection of medicinals.” He confirmed, a little surprised that someone had taken particular note.

Her further revelations were interesting to say the least. “I hadn’t heard, but then Noni and I only arrived from Wales last night.” The roads had been wet and in places snowy. “I do recall an Apothecary on Friday Street, though not the name.” And there had been some trouble over it, he vaguely recalled. Well well well. “You are a proprietor then?” He asked, intrigued in spite of himself. Another woman in business? Whatever was the world coming to? Perhaps Lady Alyth had started a trend.

The people and the opportunity. What a curious way of putting it. “Well, I’m glad that London suits you so.” James replied. “Many would have grown homesick.” He observed. “And clearly you’ve begun to develop roots here.” What with family in the Earl of Basildon and the connection with the Apothecary’s shop. It appeared the young lady was wasting no time, and had no intention of returning to France.

He’d nearly asked whether her husband was a proprietor of the shop, and automatically he began to think that she came here because her husband did, but he recalled she’d been introduced in the manner of a single lady, and was certain that Basildon would not do so by accident. How very curious.

Nicolette nodded of that, "It must be 'all go' in Her Majesties service." with a passing thought that the young Queen seemed such a dull woman, the Royal interest in charity seemed better suited to someone their dotage.

Far more interesting was his confirmation. "I am doubly pleased to make your acquaintance then." she expressed, warmly.

"La, but you've barely shook the snow from your boots then, certainly not had the time to catch up upon developments. It is my Cousin who owns the property actually, though I shall admit it was upon my tireless pleading." she flashed a smile. A pretty girl did have an easier time of such things, she'd hardly pleaded really, though did sufficiently enough to warrant giving Louis gales of grateful kisses in thank you.

"Though his interest is as an investment, he allows my managing it as I might - but it is not I who does the bookkeeping, that is a talent I cannot profess! My passion is the herbal practise itself."

He was a kindly gentleman. Nicolette's eyes slid to his Lady Wife, and imagined a considerate and caring relationship must exist between them. "The affection of new family eases the pangs of being away from home." she replied of homesickness, imagining that Noni at least would understand.

"But yes, I am how you say, carving out a niche for myself. Upon that note, I would love to compare thoughts with another in the field of health. Why, I have been recently considering making a study. Namely environmental factors that afflict. I had thought I might begin with a survey, perchance to ultimately diagnose preventatives based upon location. Does such a thing sound viable, or indeed useful, milord?"

“Ah, I see.” James said as Nicci explained the niceties of the arrangement regarding herself, Basildon and the Apothecary’s shop. “A very neat system, and it does one good to have a hobby.” He allowed graciously. It was a little odd, these ladies who took an interest in business, but then he supposed it was only one step away from those who took an interest in politics. Not entirely natural to his mind, but it seemed to becoming more common.

Still, an interest in medicinals was a worth one to James’s mind, and an enlightening academic exercise for a lady. “How long have you been interested in herbal applications?” He asked, curious. “Noni’s quite interested in the breeding of hounds.” Already they had a litter of half-bred puppies, little floppy-eared fluff balls, courtesy of Louis the poodle and Minerva the spaniel.

The doctor smiled when Nicci spoke of new family easing the pain of homesickness. “One can only hope.” He said quietly, for his wife was in much the same situation. “Still, I’ve heard it said that our friends are the family that we choose for ourselves.” Goodness knew Noni hadn’t had much joy of her actual family. He turned that smile to his beloved wife, and it warmed noticeably. He only hoped he made her happy and kept her comforted.

Nicci then espoused a rather novel idea. “Environmental factors you say.” He mused on it for a moment. “Well, it is known that the heavy airs of a city are often detrimental to the health, and certain places have been associated with certain afflictions, so I don’t see why a broader study might not be of interest.” He allowed. Indeed, why not? It was an intriguing idea. “If you refer to a Physician for the purposes of diagnosis,” since that was his profession’s prerogative and she was, after all, a woman, “and collaborate on the relevant curatives for particular areas. Yes, I think that such a study could prove to be of great interest. Why, you might assist in the development of a new branch of medicine.”

Sophia and Douglas

Sophia was meeting with Lady Mountjoy about the Bedlam patients? It was more than just an idle concern then, though he’d got that impression. “Be carefu’ hou ye gie.” He cautioned quietly. “Her Majes’y michtnae like haein’ the flaws in oor system pointed oot by a foreigner.”* He advised, as bluntly as he could. The situation might not be good, but it was still England’s.

Still, the Queen might realise that Sophia could be an ally in charitable causes, if the icy bitch could get over her Libertine ways. “Haps speak wi’ others throu’ hou she daes charity, if Lairdy Moontjoy isnae verra helpfu’.” He suggested. Others might be more open, or care more about the cause. “Thairs a doctor wha serves the Quin.”** And might be more interested in mistreated patients.

“I dinnae ken either.” Douglas admitted on the subject of the money for Bedlam. “But ‘haps I find oot.” *** These things tended to have governing councils if they weren’t Royal, which Bedlam wasn’t. So someone other than the crown had to be running the place.

Of course, Sophia’s concerns were entirely reasonable, and Douglas didn’t doubt that there was the odd patient in Bedlam who was not mad but simply inconvenient. Much like the lady he and George had proven had been buried alive. Her servant had wanted her money. And had gotten away with it to the continent.

It was easily something to trouble a young woman’s heart. As they walked he placed his larger hand over hers, stroked his thumb gently along her fingers in a reassuring manner. “We shuid meet agin tae discuss whit we’ve foond.”+ He suggested.

Subtitles

* “Be careful how you go. Her Majesty might not like having the flaws in our system pointed out by a foreigner.”

** “Perhaps speak with others through who she does charity, if Lady Mountjoy isn’t very helpful. There’s a doctor who served the Queen.”

*** “I don’t know either. But perhaps I can find out.”

+ “We should meet again to discuss what we’ve found.”

Francis and Charles Sackville

"I suppose it would be better to target someone other than an ambassador's wife," Dorset conceded. It could cause an international incident. Sighing, the blond earl added "that won't prevent another from trying. A pretty face, heaving bosoms, and a dour husband are just the right mixtures," he jested, thinking he might still win the bet.

"Not enough heaving bosoms present Francis," he whispered as he looked about the church; "or is it just me? I do not mean at church of course." He meant the anatomy of the latest class of debutantes.

"Scandal far above my rating," Francis quipped, using a more naval term. "But an earl twice over who seems to have scandal bounce off of him like nothing at all..."

He trailed off. He needn't specify what he was talking about. He wore a smarmy grin on his face.

"Indeed? Have you beat me to close inspection? You work quickly, cousin! It's only been a few days." He chuckled and looked around. It was true one of the ladies he had bedded in the last few days was slight of bosom, but he found it mattered little.

"As for me, bosoms are not a deciding factor," he whispered. Such was how libertines attempted to behave on a Sunday, by whispering their indecencies.

Douglas and Sophia

“I am not a foreigner to Her Majesty. And I will not be pointing out flaws, just trying to help people who are unable to help themselves. I believe that she will appreciate that. Lady Mountjoy is German too and as unlikely to take offense.” Sophia's small white teeth anxiously worried her lower lip. “At least that is what I hope. Perhaps I will not bring it up at all tomorrow. I have planted the seed. Maybe that is enough. The main reason I am going to see her is so that my lord husband can make a donation since I was unable to do it for him today.”

Lord Dundarg's idea was a good one. “I do not know who else in involved in the Queen's charities, but it should not be too difficult to find out. Lady Buccleuch asked me to inquire about a doctor who specializes in mental disorders when I visit the Chelsea hospital. Is he the doctor who serves Her Majesty? She did not know his name.”

The petite Baroness knew nothing about how charities were run. She supposed that most of the funding came from donations and that the warden was in charge of the patients. “Thank you,” she said gratefully when he offered to find the answer they sought. “A Life Guard will be taken more seriously than the wife of a foreign Ambassador. Doors that are closed to me will be opened to you.”

Sophia thought that the two of them made a good team. His thumb stroking her fingers was indeed reassuring, but it was also arousing. Excitement coursed through her veins and a hot little thrill slid down her spine. For a moment, she forgot what they had been talking about when he suggested they meet again. Blinking a few times, she forced her thoughts back to the subject of Bedlam. He was so distracting that it was hard to think straight.

“Yes, we need to plan our next move. Did Her Grace tell you how we met that day? Both our carriages were stopped and searched by Bedlam's guards. A couple of the patients apparently escaped. That was why we decided to go there."

Kingston and Dorset

"It is not as if a close inspection is necessary," Sackville replied defensive, but in good fun. "The ladies are only too happy to showcase their assets with revealing ball gowns. Were you blind last night?" he inquired insincerely.

"As for me, bosoms are not a deciding factor."

"Yes, well, we men have the other appendages that woman have except for bosoms and, of course, we have one they do not," he whispered back as he directed them both outside as the crowd inside was thinning. "So, forgive me admiring a fine set when I see one. I am certain that the ladies would return the admiration if we were to flaunt our appendages ... well perhaps not yours," Sackville added with a laugh. Men could not help but insult each others manliness whenever they were together. It was done in an affectionate way of course.

Bevseys & Arlington

"Yes, yes," assured the older man. "The Prince was quite emphatic that he needed you nearby." No need to make the lad uncomfortable.

"Do you plan to move in later today? I can have servants assist you if you wish."

Beverley smiled some at being needed at hand. As to the servants, he contemplated it for a moment. On one hand, he could certainly have his sister's cart in what belongings he had that would fit. On the other hand, he did not have that many things and was not sure he wanted to advertise that. But yet still, being moved in by palace servants had a certain ring of importance to it.

Perhaps he'd be foolish to refuse.

"We would appreciate such kindness, my lord. I do not, erm, think to be bringing very much, what with having other residences, or my lord father having them rather, which is where most our things will remain." His erm and going on a bit of a ramble were rather a trademark of his less soldierly interactions. Older gentlemen intimidated him some, and Arlington was of his father's generation. "At any rate, I do not have need for much here which, erm, such judicious s-space." He nodded as if this would solidify the earnestness of what he said.

(OOC - just want to tie this up )

Beverley and Arlington

"Of course," the older man assured the younger. "I understand completely." Perhaps he even was aware of the true state of affairs.

"I have a man outside the chapel who will escort you to your new quarters and present you with the key. He will arrange porters to move your selective baggage." The Earl was giving the young man a very indulgent smile. Ordinarily his mood was more dour but the Chamberlain seemed solicitous of Beverley in this moment.

Did Mademoiselle wince slightly with his use of the word hobby? If so it was neatly covered with a sweep of hand at stray hair. "Breeding hounds, why you shall be popular come the hunt season." she addressed the wife with a smile, and then turned her attention back to the husband.

"My Grandpere gave me my own copy of the Culpepper when I was seven, my love of nature walks discovered new purpose." she'd begun collecting samples and pressing them between the pages at an early age, and had discovered a reason to want to learn to read the academic language at that point.

Oblivous to himself, he replied like a man to her comment upon family. Nicolette nodded, but gave Noni a knowing smile. Ladies did that, perhaps it was part in parcel to what baffled men about them.

Yet to her idea, he seemed favorable, and held a keen grasp. "And then there is the vapors of the Thames in the summer." she provided her own example next to his. "You might be interested in being that Physisian, your credentials would provide substance, and... and I am very interested to have a joint mission. You are aware, I am sure, of the tension between the professions. Perhaps I am naive, but I hope that unity may be achieved. Perhaps this can be a start?"

While he claimed that it might be a new branch of medicine, she said naught, knowing apothecary more proactive with health than what he was used to. Often enough a Doctors was not summoned until the patient was on deaths doorstep! While people visited the Apothecary far more frequently and preventatives in their field was nothing so new. But preventatives specific to a particular location possibly was.

"Sir." she ventured, "might you be visiting the Friday Street clinic any time soon, we might talk of this further, and I would keenly like to see inside of the building."

Bevseys & Arlington

Beverley was not used to Arlington being nice, and it almost made him more uptight about the entire thing. It was as if...

Does he know?

the viscount looked at his wife, although what help that would be, who knew. She couldn't read his mind, and even so she knew little about intrigue or court at her age!

When he turned back to Arlington, his eyes were a little narrowed, as if somehow he might read it off the man if he just tried hard enough.

"Many blessings to you for the season, my lord," he replied, with a nod, ready to head out.

(Fin?)

Francis & Dorset

"Ho! Quiet man! Do not announce that a lady would look at mine wide-eyed with fear! I prefer to leave that surprise for when it's too late for bravery to fail." Francis tried to get the whole thing out without tittering at all, but he failed some.

"Ack, there's Arlington. I might hang back some before he thinks it's a fun occupation to bore me all the way back."

(Fin?)

Archived