JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

The Spanish Party (Thursday Evening 12/30)- Xmas 1677

Blackguard

Sophia and Charles

Many unkind thoughts went through the young earl's mind when Sophia mentioned the surprise atthe shrew's anger. Yet, somehow, the man kept from giving voice to them.

"I suppose I am surprised to see someone like her at an event like this." It was as much criticism as he could allow in polite company. This seemed to be a serious night for those opposed to France and the shrew was certainly no friend to Spain, let alone England.

"No," he lied. "She merely reminded me of other duties that require my attention. I wanted to honor your invitation and I have. It seems as though you have a good number of attendees so you should be pleased." Except for one.

They arrived at the group around Toledo and Charles paused to see if Sophia had any parting words and wished to be the one to capture the attention of her husband.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Catherine the stalker

Noticing that Charles and Sophia had begun walking together, Catherine slowly moved in the same direction so that she could continue to watch them, stopping briefly from time to time to check out the appetizers or drinks so that they wouldn't realize that they were being followed. She was close enough to observe them but not to hear what they said.

Charles and Sophia

Sophia's ribbon-covered cane clicked against the floor as she and Lord Langdon slowly made their way toward Esteban. From his comment, she surmised that he had not expected a Frenchwoman to attend a Spanish party. The petite blonde wondered at her motives herself. She didn't seem as if she was in a foul mood as she conversed with Lord Melville. Perhaps she wanted to make amends for her behavior earlier in the day.

“Yes, I am very pleased with the turnout. More people came than I expected. I am sorry that you will not be able to stay for the dinner and entertainment I have planned, but I am glad you dropped by.”

She paused before they were within hearing distance of the group surrounding her husband. “I still wish to speak to you about a few things, my lord, including what happened this afternoon. If you will allow it, I would like to visit with Frances as well. She and I have quite a bit in common and perhaps she would like a friend who understands her situation as I do. It may stop her from running away again.

“I do not know what my lord husband has planned for New Year's Day but I should be free Sunday afternoon if that would suit the two of you."

Beverley & George

This short conversation with Beverly was a welcome diversion, yet all to soon George was reminded of the awaiting wife - very discreetly done of course, via mention of her choice of within sleigh or without.

"Ah yes..." George's eyes turned towards mentioned lady, "let me not keep you from your duty to her now. I shall look forward to Saturday, and our meeting with Cumberland - it shall no doubt be most interesting."

He gave a part-bow, imagining Beverly little other reason to linger - he might return to his young wife's side.

Toledo's Group

Francis returned Davina's smile as she joined.

If the Duchess thought to make him jealous, he was entirely unaware. There was nothing in their past dealings which suggested he had such a temperament. To him such sentiments were over wives (or perhaps mistresses, though he'd never had one), and any rich widowed duchess would be bonkers to ever wish to marry again. Instead, he saw that she was enjoying herself and that did not bother him at all.

"I have never much felt like a peacock," Francis comment. "Parrot, yes. Definitely have seen a parrot in the mirror whilst enduring a tailor. Apropos in its ways." Of course a parrot fit the image of a sea captain far better than a peacock.

"Thankfully, the Duke my cousin rid me of that green coat. So, I suppose, I am not sure what I am now. The ladies shall have to appraise me." He offered a pretty wink to the general female company.

Lord Melville complimented her playing at that river outing and evening spent at his property last season, it really had been so much fun. It also allowed her to get her foot in the door with Master Cole leading to her part in the very well received opera.

"Thank you for your kind words. To make others happy with my music, that is one of my greatest joys," Caroline replied.

She asked and his family was indeed well, always good to hear. She wanted nothing but happiness for the kind Scotsman. The conversation only paused while the man secured for them both a glass of port to drink. Now along with the liquid refreshment it only seemed logical to secure some appertifs too, though he did warn her that some might be spicy. She only waved her free hand in grinning dismissal.

"Oh actually I do love spicy food. English food is honestly so boring. Sophia...Lady Toledo has already introduced me to some of the Spanish treats. It is perhaps the only thing I can compliment the Spaniards on," she smiled.

Seeing him avail himself of a stuffed pepper, she too took one. It was really quite tasty too.

He now inquired how she had been since their last meeting.

"I left London like most everyone else what with the rumors of plague back then, stayed for some time at my own estate but also visited my best friend, Mistress Vauquelin. We had a wonderful time, she has such a vibrance and zest for life about her," she answered with fond memories.

"But I couldn't miss the holidays here in London so I am back. You well know I tossed my own party, my first one ever but I think it went quite well and I plan on doing it again on occasion, it can be a bit expensive. But I should tell you many important people showed up including His Royal Majesty."

She thought of telling him about the kissing but decided the man might be a bit conservative to reveal that sort of thing. She also was no longer a virgin but she definitely was not going to bring that up!

She did get more solemn then....more like peeved as she leaned in closer to keep the words said between just them.

"It has not all been happy though I must confess. I have clashed with a nobleman and a soldier though I would argue he is more a jailer. It became quite heated and on a public street too. And it is hardly over either. In fact, I am determined to enlist whatever help I can arouse to see to it that my just cause triumphs....and it is not for me I do this...it is for an unfortunate girl."

Beverley was not socially adept enough to covertly mention his wife in the sleigh ride for the purpose of reminding the earl that he had left her. If he had felt such a sentiment, he would have said exactly that. After all, there was no stigma or wrong in taking one's leave to rejoin one's spouse. He would not have thought to be surreptitious about it.

Thus, Beverley thought Chichester was being excessively kind in reminding him that his wife would likely wish her husband's company.

So he rather sounded both grateful and somewhat surprised as he replied, "Ah, yes, of course, of course, you are right. We have not been to many events as a couple as of yet, so I should not leave her very long. With such good senses of ladies, I am in disbelief that you have not yet found a wife of your own!"

"I shall look forward to Saturday as well," he said, returning the bow with a smile.

(OOC - Oh Beverley, you are so very dense sometimes )

Toledo's Group

After the introductions were made. Mistress Wellsley agreed with Frances that the austerity of the color black could be improved with colorful embellishment. Lord Audley's suggestion to start a dark clothing trend was met with approval by Lord Toledo. The awkwardness that had ensued with Peg's comment had passed. The Duchess of Richmond had nothing against her, but sometimes it was quite apparent that she was a commoner. A noble would never have been so insensitive. Unless they were foreign.

Lord Kingston then drew attention to himself. Frances saw him as neither a peacock nor a parrot, although she wondered if he had once had a parrot when he was a sailor. No, probably not. Only pirates had parrots.

“You always look splendid, no matter what you wear,” she assured him. Glancing at Peg and Davina, she asked: “What do you think, ladies?”

Toledo's Group

She waited for Lord Chatham to respond but before that the Duchess directed a question to Mrs. Hughes and herself regarding Francis Kirke ....

"I think Your Grace has the right direction for Lord Kingston is always well-attired and yet I shall be glad of Spring and the advent of lighter colors and not just for the Gentlemen either! Do you not argree Madam?"

She defered to the other woman then for after all she was but a member of the Queen's Household and outranked by both of the other two Ladies so best to answer in simple agreement to Richmond and also providing a way for Mrs. Hughes to agree and perhpas add her own thoughts as well.

There were times that Davina thought that Lady must be pricked by 'Everyone' and not always in nice ways and she herself had no cause for it and besides her brother was still at her side and she detected his manner to be one of observation rather than contribution and so that made her cautious.

She hoped that whatever was planned for next would begin if not she would follow the example of some and take her leave - as she and her brother had discussed earlier.

She noted too that Charles and Lady Toledo had formed a unit and lurked at the edge of this Group. It was nye impossible to slip him a note or even well cageded words with so many to listen in. If only they had made some pre agreement as to this very thing .....

Charles and Sophia Joining the Toledo Group

As they paused, there was not much time for consideration. "Yes, Sunday afternoon the 2nd might be a good time to see if you can help Frances to become content." At least Sophia posed it in a way that sounded as if she was trying to be helpful, as opposed to being critical.

Waiting for the right moment to break in, Charles regarded the Spanish Ambassador with his apology. "Your Excellency, thank you for inviting me to your party. I fear I must take my leave early." It was then that his gaze took in Richmond, Hughes, and Kingston, stating "I have duties to attend to ..." then on to Audley, Baintree and Davina. He smiled and nodded at each in turn, leaving his parting gaze upon Davina, as if by accident, ' ... and I have to be to Somerset Palace early in the morning for an important meeting." He then quickly looked away to the others. "We don't want any troopers in my regiment planning on getting too merry on the morrow. There is a city to protect after all." He offered a small smile as if to explain his duties in a light fashion. "Good evening ladies and gentlemen."

The message to Davina had been delivered. He would be awaiting her at Somerset Palace in the morning. It had been too long and there was much to discuss.

With that, Charles moved to take his leave, pausing for Catherine to join him in his exit. There would be much to discuss with her on the ride home as well.

Toledo's Group

Sophia was afraid that Lord Langdon would refuse her request, thinking that she was in league with Caroline, and she let out the breath she had not been aware she was holding when he agreed to meet with her on Sunday afternoon. “I will see both of you on Sunday after Church then,” she said. Whether he knew it or not, she was on his side. The Duchess and Lady Kendishall wanted to take Frances away from him, but she thought it was best that the girl stayed where she was. Maybe she could convince him to take in Frances' friends as well. No child should have to live on the streets and steal to survive.

She bid him a polite farewell before greeting the guests gathered around her husband with a warm smile, careful not to let her gaze linger on the tantalizing Lord Chatham. “I hope you have all been enjoying yourselves. Dinner is now ready to be served. I assure you that the dishes that have been prepared are not as spicy as the appetizers.” She glanced toward the stage on one side of the room. “And the performers are getting ready to entertain you after the meal.”

Sophia looked up at Esteban. “Will you make the announcement to the rest of our guests?” He was the host of this event, and should be the one in charge.

(OOC: As soon as everyone takes their seats, I'll be moving the dinner along. There are no seating arrangements so sit with whomever you like.)

The Toledos

Langdon took his leave. Esteban had little recourse other than nodding his assent. When his wife announced dinner was ready, he raised his voice to address all guests.

"Ladies and gentlemen, dinner is served. Sit where you like." He ushered the guests into the dining room.

OOC~ Post any response you like and then Sophia will do a summary post about dinner, then it will be time for farewells after that.

George chuckled at his young friends humour, "Credit it to my stern demands and unrelenting expectations," he returned, softly laughing to himself still as his friend moved apart.

Beverly was certainly not a savvy chic courtier, the sort that insidiously wheedled and manipulated with multiple levels to everything he said, which was in fact the greatest recommendation of the mans character. Beverley had a sort of honour based naiveite, though that too was complex itself. He hoped that tumbling of court would not burnish away those facets too quickly. George liked Beverly. Saw some of himself in him. Would have been happy to keep his company all night long.

But being careful not to dominate his time, for fear that the other might grow weary of the elder man.

Still, George was grinning to himself as he moved to the table, waiting out for the various pairings to be seated, and then setting himself into one of those odd man out chairs between them that needed to be filled.

Caroline & Duncan

Duncan raised an appreciative brow at her comments on spicy food. “In that case, perhaps I can suggest this…” the Lowlander grabbed two small pieces of toast with octopus slices on top, bathed with a thick, red, deliciously smelling sauce. One was for him, one was for Caroline. “It has a stronger flavor, but I have always enjoyed it. Besides, I have found that it goes rather well with port”.

The Scotch lord smiled at the mention of Nicolette. “Mademoiselle Vauquelin is indeed great company, and larger than life when at her best. I had the pleasure of meeting her acquaintance last season. Perhaps I’ll have the pleasure of seeing her again before season adjourns”. And hopefully I’ll behave better than the first time we met. That had been a disaster, and one of Duncan’s worst moments at court. He even winced momentarily at the memory.

“A party? And His Grace Charles attended? Congratulations!” The viscount’s face showed his genuine happiness for Caroline. Men could distinguish themselves in the military, commerce, government service, finance… ladies had a much more constrained field to make themselves known, and parties was one the things allowed to them by society. Still…

His Grace at a baroness’ party? She either has contacts in high places, or the party was of the kind that the King likes to attend when in search of… merriment. Either way, Duncan was glad for her, and showed no outward sign of his thoughts. Royal recognition was needed to thrive at court, whichever way it was obtained.

And then, the topic became serious, somber even. Leading the lady towards an empty table out of earshot, he inquired. “Please, tell me more about this. Perhaps I may be of assistance”. Duncan had, after all, taken two street urchins into his house, and given them gainful employment. They had responded so far by working hard, and being loyal to him. Three square meals a day, an extra serving of desert, and a warm bed in winter did wonders for children’s dispositions. He sympathized with those that tried to help others. Still, Lord Langdon's words worried him. He needed a clearer picture before saying anything, one way or the other.

After helping the lady sit, he sat beside her, listening attentively.

Toledo's Group

"The lady's a diplomat," Charles drawled in response to Davina, eye dancing amiably. Elegant, he decided, was the word for her. Magnanimously, he resolved to forgive her her transgression in seeming to pity him.

Pleased with his smoothing over of conversation, he listened with half an ear as the others talked. It was always a slight marvel to him when he managed to navigate these polite, proper occasions. His attention returned as Sophia approached, accompanied by some uniformed non-entity.

Perhaps not such a non-entity.

His gaze sharpened momentarily as he noted the rank of the gentleman. A colonel, and he had to be younger than Charles.

Langdon. Has to be.

Outwardly placid and amiable, Charles returned Langdon's nod and absently fiddled with his own cravat pin (for Sophia's benefit) while sneering internally.

'A city to protect.' From what, you pompous arse?

Following along to the dining room, Charles seated himself at random. There were enough guests that he felt confident that there would be someone he could make interesting conversation with at hand.

Toledo's Group

Lord Chatham accepted her reply and she smiled across to him then her attention was taken as Sophia returned to the Group and announcements were made.

She whispered to her brother saying that it was too late to beat a retreat and placed her hand on his arm as Charles made quick his own escape but she had heard his statement and took it to mean that he wished for her to come to him upon the morrow. Which she knew she would do.

Her brother she knew would lead them into the space provided and her eyes sought out where they might place themselves as she whispered if he had his own particular group and if so she would seperate and once she'd eaten then take her own leave allowing him his own pleasure.

So it was that the group moved into the dining room. The host and hostess took their traditional places at the head and foot of the table.

Beverley and his wife found themselves between Cumberland and Peg Hughes on one side and George on the other.

Charles Audley found himself sitting next to Duncan and Caroline on one side and the Dutch and Danish Ambassador on the other.

Kingston and Le Belle Stuart found themselves flanked by Baintree and Davina on one side (just beyond the two ambassadors) and the Earl of Bristol on the other.

Montagu sat next to Barbara Palmer.

OOC~ Sophia will now post the dinner and after dinner entertainment.

When George spotted a chair free near Beverley he was pleased to claim it, flashing a smile to the younger man - beyond whom sat his wife and then the Duke Cumberland. George nodded his head towards the others, wondering if it was out of the question to be introduced at that distance. Though in but two days time now he'd meet the Duke properly.

"I wonder if Lady Toledo shall join the performers on the stage?" he mused out aloud during the meal. George had missed Sophia's performance earlier in the season, though the performance had been such that it still echoed.

Sophia's heart leapt in her chest when she saw Lord Chatham fiddling with his cravat pin again. She managed to hide her smile, not wanting Esteban to suspect that they were more than mere acquaintances. Had he been able to convince her husband that having her watched made it seem as if he didn't trust the English? Probably not, as she had not seen them speaking privately.

Before she turned away to follow her husband to the table, she touched her cheek with two fingers and then swept them toward her ear as if brushing back an errant strand of hair. Once everyone had been seated, she nodded to the kitchen servant standing by the door, and a few minutes later, the food was brought in.

The featured entree was succulent roasted geese … six of them … set upon the table on silver platters. They were served with bowls of sauce made from their livers, broth, and ground almonds. In case one didn't like poultry, there were two other main courses ...octopus tentacles with friend onions and parsley, and braised pork chops with mushrooms.

The side dishes included jamón pata negra, the finest cured ham from Spain, cold gazpacho made from tomatoes and cucumbers and seasoned with garlic, paella, a dish of rice, saffron, and seafood, and boiled green peas, which were considered a delicacy. None of the fare was overly spicy but there were bowls filled with ground red peppers and other herbs and spices for those who preferred a bit of heat.

Sophia ate heartily while conversing with the courtiers seated close to her. She was particularly fond of the octopus tentacles and she sprinkled peppers on everything. Drinks were refilled through the meal. When everyone was finished, she signaled to the servants to remove the remainder, which she had already instructed to be given to the poor after the servants themselves had their fill.

New plates and cutlery were placed before each guest and then the desserts were served: an almond honey nougat turrón, marzipan formed into various fanciful shapes, crema catalana, a custard flavored with vanilla, orange peel and cinnamon with a topping of burnt sugar, and an assortment of dried and candied fruits as well as nuts.

While everyone was eating, a figure completely hidden by a crimson hooded cape walked in, passed the table, and disappeared behind the stage. Several more followed at regular intervals, each coming from a different part of the room. It had been Sophia's idea for the performers to enter in that fashion, to add a bit of mystery and anticipation for the upcoming entertainment.

(OOC: Thanks so much to Jorge for the historical food information and the authentic, period-appropriate Spanish dishes. )

(OOC2: After everyone has reacted to the meal, the entertainment will commence.)

Francis, Frances, Bristol, Davina, & Baintree

Francis took up a seat next to the duchess with Lord Bristol on his other side. He could not recall ever having met Lord Bristol formally, but he had seen the gentleman speaking to the Duke of Cumberland. That was a recommendation for the gentleman in Francis' view.

"Such amiable company shall surely make for a good meal," he commented jovially.

As the food arrived, Francis found his stomach very eager. He enjoyed all sorts of foreign foods out of necessity. Exile and being well-traveled gave him a palate that enjoyed variety and novelty. He left little doubt how he fueled his tall form, but he might have made the duchess wonder how he was not fifty pounds heavier.

Activity demanded fuel.

"Shall anyone venture a guess as to these hooded figures?" Francis asked his general company with a quiet, conspiratorial tone.

Upon hearing of her taste for the spicier sorts of dishes, the Scotsman suggested she try an interesting apertif, presenting Caroline with a small toast topped with octopus bathed in a spicy red sauce. The girl took it without hesitation then bit into it, chewing with obvious enjoyment.

"Ohh, it is delicious. I could eat this on a regular basis in truth," she informed the man.

The conversation moved to her friend, and his too, Niccolette Vauqelin, and they agreed she was a most delightful young lady. Caroline was eager to brag a little too, telling him with bright eyes how her party was graced with the presence of none other than the King himself! That suitably impressed the Scotsman to no surprise. But then she decided to bring up her current personal crusade, to help out the child Frances. He instantly saw how serious she was and guided her to a private table in the large room so they could talk alone then gave what appeared to be his undivided attention.

"Well, it is a long story but I suppose I can give you the gist of it....especially as it seems they are now ready for us all to dine. The usual abysmal Spanish timing," she rolled her eyes before commencing with her tale.

"I was out with Duchess Anne and Lady Toledo who showed up for this climbing of a tower adventure the good Duchess had planned with an injured ankle. And this after informing me by note she was too injured to attend MY party the very night before? I was not pleased...but I digress," she needed to stay on point here.

"Well, things happened and before you know it there was a young girl Frances and two boys, one approximately her age and another younger scamp...all having one thing in common, they were upset...even terrified by Lord Langdon with his armed soldier thug at his side. It seems Frances had run off and we got to talk with her as she begged for help from avoiding her captor. Not guardian...but captor. She seemed very genuine to me or else she should become an actress someday...granted that is an awful career for females."

"So anyhow.....Langdon had had the older boy seized by his soldiery and was then threatening to hurl the lad into prison unless Frances gave herself up to him. It was appalling ...are soldiers back to preying upon it's own citizenry like some religious conflict on the continent?"

"The Duchess, Lady Toledo, and myself all agreed to accompany the poor girl to reason with Langdon and marched up to him.....well, I did anyhow.....both of the others saw their courage fail or they never did intend on going thru with it, I don't know. The effect was the same, I was alone then to face the uniformed Lord. I would not abandon Frances to such a lout. We talked then, I tried to reason with him. I even promised him if he allowed Frances to go with me just for that one night, I would see to it the girl returned to their residence. But Langdon insulted me then by refusing to even deign to answer my reasonable request. He would not budge an inch but further threatened dire consequences for the boy unless Frances gave in completely and accompanied him home. Well...............I told him then what my opinion of him was. He was rightly insulted because I truly meant every word and I am not shy."

She sighed dramatically then finished up her story, at least for now, "Well, he won thanks to his use of brute force and dire threats to children. Frances caved in and went with him, in tears mind you, so she could save the older lad who was then released. The younger boy had already fled in terror. From our own soldiers....can you imagine? How does that foster pride in our army amongst the common folk.......and all this happened in public too. There were many witnesses to the whole sad scene."

"As for me though, I have not conceded the fight. I pledged to help Frances and I will do whatever it takes to get her away from him. He is unfit to be her guardian. Apparently he even drags in various women for his bed in the very house he imprisons Frances. What sort of example is that? Why if I were a man, I'd challenge this ...this jailor to a duel," she hissed in anger.

"So....there you have it....and I intend to wage this campaign in every way possible. I am the daughter of a soldier, he cannot intimidate me like he does with a child."

ooc: After Duncan reacts as you please, I suppose you best take both of them to the dining table to keep this party moving.

Beverleys, George, Rupert, Peg

Beverley was having the precise same thought as George. It did not seem the best idea to introduce laterally with two whole people in between. At the very least, though, it did afford Cumberland the ability to observe (and eavesdrop). That way he could take in how Lord Chichester acted as opposed to simply having the memory of how he had before acted.

That could only be a benefit in Beverley's mind.

"It is said that she is very fond of opera and performing," Beverley replied quietly.

For a brief moment of terror he wondered if he would have to warn his wife off the wild sorts of costume that the lady had worn at the opera performance for the King. In Beverley's sense, that was a wild no no from all the talk.

Then again, his wife came from one of England's best families, so surely knew how to behave at English court.

During the meal, which was a bit frightening to him also, he conversed softly with his wife, talking of which bits they thought were too spicy so as to avoid them. He asked George his advice on the robustness of certain things as well, for it would be far too embarrassing to become ill. He knew there would be rumblings and gurgles.

Francis, Frances, Bristol, Davina, & Baintree

It would seem that this group was now fated to be amongst the same to dine as it had been in conversation and for Davina it was not a thing she liked. The Duchess was not amongst those she had much to do with although she was sympathic towards nor was Francis Kirke but at least he was a MAN and then there was Bristol ....

Still she made the best of things sampled this and that rejecting those things too hot upon her tongue and so stuck with what she knew and drank the same. Her brother it seemed followed that same path but stuck more to the liquid side of things.

Lord Kingston made remarks about the figures hidden from view in dark cloaks that now entered into the room asking for comments. She obliged.

"I'd guess something to do with what the Baroness is quite skilled at - perhaps she intends to entertain here? I can not think in the same manner as the Opera but then ..."

She gave a small shrug of one shoulder not really interested.

Her gaze rested from time to time on Lord Chichester her nemesis and she wonderd if he would reply to the letter she'd sent. She thinks he will not no matter how true her words had been. That too would play as it would and she had resigned herself to thinking of that Earl as someone she used to know.

It hurt still but not in the same way. She had let that part of herself fall away even thou she had cared much for him and he so little for her - or so it had seemed standing on the battlements of the Tower hearing him speak of how he could never 'love' her.

She still believed that he had had another to whom he had given his heart to but there was still no wife at his side. Had that lady suffered as she had? This was a thing never to be answered she supposed but she would like still to say her mind and to wish him Happiness.

A clock chimed close at hand above the general hum and she sighed wishing that she could get up and leave .... And Baintree would offer no help she thinks content to say amongst the company of Men.

Caroline and Duncan arrive at the table and join Charles

“The recipe is from the northern coast of Spain, the town of Mugardos, if I understand correctly. They stew the octopus with potatoes, onions, tomatoes and peppers, and the concentrated juices from those form the sauce that now covers the octupus slices. One of my favorites too, I must say”. The viscount’s face showed his delight openly, as he grabbed another pair, and offered one to Caroline.

As they sat, chewing on the delectable appetizer, Duncan listened to the young lady’s tale. His face grew sober, though not somber. His brow furrowed as he gave her his utmost attention. Lord Langdon had already mentioned the event, although from his point of view. It seemed to the Lowlander that, in a sense, they were both right.

“Although I am not agreeing with any conduct unbecoming on the part of Lord Langdon”, the Scotch began, “please understand that, as a military man, he does takes orders very seriously. That His Grace Charles appointed him to be the guardian of this girl must be understood as that. He is just trying to obey his King the best way he knows how”.

That was true, at least for Duncan. He had known Langdon for a time, and the man has honourable. “However, an unmarried military officer might not be the best guardian for a young girl. Since the King attended your party, perhaps you could approach the King and ask him to be appointed to the post. Just don’t say I suggested it. I might get in trouble with Langdon if you do”.

The matter deserved more, deeper thought. But the viscount was certain that His Grace Charles would be more than able to defuse the situation. However… “I humbly suggest you avoid any and all direct confrontation. If nothing else, for the child’s sake”.

Langdon drags ladies to his bed? As in doing it against their will? That does sound incredibly out of character. I wonder how much tale spinning is the girl doing? He is neither poor not bad-looking, so I find it hard to believe...

There was also the matter of women of quality being well-meaning but oftentimes ruled by emotion, not logic. It could very well be that the three young ladies had let emotion, not reason, direct their thoughts and actions.

And then, they were all called to dine, so he offered the young lady his arm, ready to hold her chair for her when they arrived at their appointed places if no servant did. They were seated beside a striking gentleman with a patch over his left orbit who seemed to be a tad younger than Duncan. The man was slightly tanned, just like Duncan, which drew an approving nod from the Lowlander. “A pleasure to meet your acquaintance”, he directed at Charles Audley. May I introduce Lady Kendishall, and myself, viscount Melville?”

It was a feast, and the Scotch had a bit of everything. The goose was superb, but so were the pork chops. The jamón was the best he had ever had, and he attempted to grab the attention of their host to congratulate him. The paella was cooked just right, and the petit pois were a novelty. Wines were chosen to be the perfect accompaniment for each dish, and he raised his eyebrows appreciatively.

And then, deserts. Just when he thought he would burst if he had any more, the turrón and the crema catalana appeared. He tried them both, and then kept a few pieces of turrón to nibble on later. He did get two generous glasses of a sweet port, one for Caroline and one for himself.

Beverleys, George, Rupert, Peg

And so George and Beverly (and possibly the Duke as well) were a little thicket of reserve.

"The ham is exceptional." George could recommend, hopefully allowing his friend to fend off the rumbling of stomach when confronted with so much food, yet most of it untenable to his sensitive palette.

"It is a most tasty custard." he further announced towards tonight’s Hostess, "Don't you all agree."

George, having spent a great deal of time in Europe, was quite accustomed to the spicier and more flavoursome foods. Further, he understood that the custard dish was partially concession towards the predominately English, and thus bland pallets here tonight. His praise of the dish was more of a praise to Sophia for her newly maturing sensitivity and foresight. Yes it seemed the youngster was starting to grow up.

"We might press your cook for the recipe." he added with a nod towards Toledo. Sophia’s good management must too be a relief for his Spanish friend.

Murmuring a reply to his and Beverley’s earlier topic George said. "I think the lady may have learnt that lesson."

Lord Melville sat and listened to Caroline's tale of a young girl held against her will by an uncaring man who was a gentleman only due to birth certainly not behavior. She spoke with sincere emotion, her soul galvanized by this just cause. Caroline's nature was such everything she set herself to she applied her full enthusiasm. She now had a personal crusade to attend to.

Duncan was less than convinced though it seemed, disappointing to the young widow but at the same she could hardly be surprised. Soldiers oft stick together, it was probably in their nature given the need for cooperation on the battlefield against a common enemy. She did listen carefully to his measured response though.

He pointed out that Langdon was in the position per the girl because it had been the King's appointment, she realized that but it did not make it right. How often had her professional soldier father railed against the mistakes kings made in wars, she had little doubt they made them too in peace. He suggested she approach the King and ask to replace Langdon as guardian.

"Mayhaps I shall. Of course that is easier said than done. I can hardly just bring it up to His Majesty right in public, I am certain he would not be pleased especially given this festive season. And I have little confidence I can see him privately - he is the King afterall," Caroline countered his scheme.

At least she had informed Duncan of the whole sordid affair and even better, he had not gotten angry with her. It was time then to attend to the dinner once more and both of them soon were seated at the sumptuous banquet table. Caroline was not blessed with her usual appetite though as this whole battle with Langford had upset her whenever she thought about it. If only she were a man, she would challenge him to a duel then run him thru and be done with it. Women were at such a disadvantage in the world though.

Duncan immediately engaged in conversation none other than her good friend, Charles, then even offered to introduce Audley to her. Caroline grinned at the one-eyed devil, for that is what he was but a delightful one. Their every encounter was always such great fun what with his sharp wit and ...well, skills under the covers.

"Ahh, Lord Chatham, delighted as always! You see Lord Chatham and I are already well acquainted. He is above all things a true gentleman, for we met when he kindly offered me a ride in his coach when mine had inexcusably broke down on the way to the opera and what with me expected to play in the orchestra with my cello. He truly was my knight in shining armour that evening....well, sans actual armour of course," she nodded to the man.

Caroline, Charles and Duncan

Charles was idly musing on how he would go about most efficiently looting the embassy when he was interrupted by the arrival of his dining companions. He returned Duncan's nod, smiling amiably.

"A pleasure, sir, but the lady and I are already acquainted." Caroline took the burden of explaining how, giving Charles a moment to assess her escort. A Scot from his accent, though that was considerably less barbarous than was usual. Taller than Charles (though not by much, the earl assured himself), fit and active looking, and somewhere in the region of thirty. Tanned too, with the steady gaze of the experienced man. There was steel in him, but of a different alloy than Charles was familiar with. Had they passed in the street Charles would have taken the other man for a prosperous merchant or retired soldier.

Your bias is showing.

"In truth, Melville, I intervened to spare her poor coachman," he said drily as Caroline finished her tale, his eye glinting with merriment. "I feared she might flay the unfortunate fellow if I did not soothe her temper."

The food was brought in, and Charles fell to with a will. The octopus was his dish of choice and he buried it with peppers, washed down with white wine. Taking note of Duncan's obvious familiarity with Spanish cooking, he smiled.

"You have travelled on the Continent, Melville?" he queried politely.

Caroline, Charles and Duncan

“Perhaps we could talk about this matter another time, Lady Kendishall. This is not the most appropriate time, I think”. With that, Duncan put the matter of Langdon’s ward away from his thoughts, at least for a time.

And it so happened that the lord sitting beside them at the table was already an acquaintance of Caroline’s. “A knight in shining armour, you say? Not many of those left, so an honour to make your acquaintance, Lord Chatham”. The Lowlander bowed slightly towards the one-eyed man.

Charles’ words made the viscount smile. “If Lady Kendishall is as apt with the whip as she is with the cello’s bow, I’d flee if she ever got angry at me, I swear”. It was said half-jokingly. “I’d much rather stay on her good graces, that is for certain”.

Chatham… Chatham… where have I heard that name before?

At the earl’s mention of the continent, memories snapped into place. “Aye, I have. But it was not pleasure, I must confess”. He paused, and made a decision. “Lord Chatham, would you happen to be the same man that was present at Grave and Maestricht, and that later was known as Colonel Chatham in Heidelberg? If so, we have never met, but I have certainly heard of you. I was known as Major Melville of Dumabrton’s Regiment”.

There was openness in Duncan’s face, and no trace of any recognition of the man’s later… reputation.

Francis, Bristol, Davina, Baintree, Bristol, and Frances

Lord Kingston certainly ate a lot, but Frances supposed that wasn't unusual for such a tall gentleman. She was a bit wary of the food at first, thinking it might be too spicy. No one seemed to be guzzling wine, though, so she took a small portion of roast goose. It was delicious, as was the pork, the soup, and the peas. She wasn't fond of seafood, so she skipped the paella and octopus.

The desserts were tasty as well. Frances' eyes widened as the hooded figures glided by and disappeared backstage. Mistress Wellsley answered Lord Kingston's question and the Duchess nodded. "You're probably right." Lowering her voice, she whispered: "At least they're not wearing black."