JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

The Spanish Party (Thursday Evening 12/30)- Xmas 1677

Blackguard

Duncan, Catherine, and Charles

Duncan sided with Catherine in their little game, as he should. The Scot knew the code of gallantry. He could have fought further, but the best barbs were the ones said privately. "You misremember Melville, it was not the ground I wished to kiss." It was a way to say something nice about Catherine and not battle further, for the moment. "Yet, if I uttered those words three days ago, then I must have been on the ship with you headed for London." He chuckled at the opening the Scot had provided him for identifying the lie.

"How are things is Scotland? Does rebellion continue to stalk the Lowlands?" The Coventeers had refused to be broken by Lauderdale and were regularly rebelling against the King' men. Though in the company of a lady, he felt that the query was fair. Catherine was no sheltered flower.

Duncan seemed to know a thing or two about Spanish food, so Charles was happy to accept recommendations. "I'll have that then. I can take salt."

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Duncan, Charles, and Catherine

Lord Melville was certainly charming. Maybe she could make Charles jealous by flirting with him. “Oh did he?” she asked playfully, fully aware that the Scottish Viscount was only teasing. “And were you curious about the mysterious lady whom he wanted to kiss?”

Catherine laughed at Charles' comeback, grinning at Duncan, but saying nothing more. He also called Lord Melville out on his lie, but she had a different take on his words. “I think Lord Melville heard you say you wanted to kiss the ground I had walked on three days after I had trod on it.” Her eyes spun to Duncan. “Am I correct, my lord?”

He complemented Charles' regiment and its ability to keep order, and then once more, flattered her. “Why thank you, Lord Melville. I must say that Lord Langdon has an excellent choice in friends as well.”

As for appetizers: “I've already been burned by one of those innocent-looking little tidbits, but if you say this one is mild, then I shall trust you.” Catherine plucked one from a tray and popped it into her mouth as Charles asked Lord Melville about rebellions in Scotland.

Catherine, Charles & Duncan

“I stand corrected, Lord Langdon. My memory must be playing tricks on me”, Duncan said with a wide smile. “Age must be addling my brain. I am, after all, past thirty now”. Both Catherine and Charles were surely younger than the Lowlander, who would turn thirty one on January the twenty third.

Catherine did get it right. Perhaps the viscount’s Scotch patterns of thought were making him difficult to understand. He was still tired from the trip, and he tended to think in Scottish when tired. “You are correct miss Catherine. That is what I meant. I do apologize if my English is somewhat obscure at times, it is not my native tongue”. Not that the Scot had any trouble expressing himself in English, but sometimes he thought in Scottish and tried to interpret, instead of thinking in English directly. “We agree, though. Lord Langdon is a man of impeccable taste, even if some of his acquaintances are old men with addled brains!”

Then to the subject at hand.

“Rebelion? Not with His Grace Lauderdale at the helm, my lord. He does not allow anyone to even speak the word. He shows no mercy, that is for sure”. There were, of course, plots here and there, but Lauderdale was merciless. Duncan would do things differently and, he was sure, the Scots would behave better if he did. The Stuarts had been their kings before they had been England’s kings, after all, and that was a matter of national pride. “To tell you the truth, I think there is more danger to His Grace Charles’ rule in London than there is in the Lowlands”. It was sad, but true.

Asking Lauderdale to keep the peace, is like asking a fox to keep the henhouse safe. Both His Grace and Scotland would be better off without him! The thought was unvoiced, of course, but Duncan had no kind thoughts for the duke that had betrayed the Covenant.

“Winter snow has closed many roads, though, the Borders are difficult to travel through, and banditry seems to have increased. The sheriffs seem to have their hands full”.

Another passing servant with a well-appointed tray. Duncan indicated to his companions the tidbits that were safe to eat, but partook of some of the spiciest ones. A soldier’s life taught one much, by necessity sometimes. The selection is impeccable, he thought as he took a wedge of goat cheese topped with a slice of quince paste.

“Pray, tell me, both of you. How have London and the Christmas season been until now? I wish I had come earlier, but alas, it was not to be”.

The viscount waited for their replies with anticipation.

Sophia

"Yes, perhaps some fundraiser," Anne offered weakly. In truth, her husband was purchasing land on the cheap for purposes of investment and redevelopment. He called it charity but his wife was not so quick to give it the same name. Perhaps he would donate one of the rundown buildings to orphans, or so she hoped.

"We had best not keep the hostess from the rest of her guests," the Earl offered pleasantly enough. "Shall we say hello to Marius de Vries?" he suggested.

"Yes, do not let us keep you. There is plenty of time to speak later," Anne offered in conclusion.

Audley

"I fear I have yet to find the time but will do so," Esteban promised with respect to the gift from the Earl.

The Dane continued to be in a jovial mood but was puzzled by the reference to cribs. Perhaps it did not translate well. Instead, he preferred to respond to the second question, exclaiming "why would I accept an ambassadorial position unless it meant more travel?" His tone was light. "I have been to Sweden enough of course but am looking for an opportunity to visit the Tsar's court one day soon."

George's Group

The Dutch Ambassador was stopped again by Davina's arrival. George asked if everyone was known to her. Edith required an introduction but the others professed to know of the Queen's lady. They paused for Davina to speak.

Francis & Francis

"There are not many Italians that I know of either at court. Those I know are Italians in Italy," Francis replied with a cheeky smile.

They neared the group of Toledo but the duchess mentioned sighting another duchess.

"Indeed? Her Grace is making quite the rounds of parties then," he noted*. "If you wish to desert me, I shall not blame you in the very least. I cannot imagine greeting a group of gentlemen very intriguing." And it did seem the group around Toledo was lacking in the feminine department.

"I am sure to not lose you for long."

In the meantime, Francis plucked a spicy tidbit and put it into his mouth rather eager.

Ooo, that is quite good. He was quite accustomed to different cuisine; it was the life of a sailor.

(OOC - I don't want to timeknot myself to have to stay away from her in the Wed Party bc they've actually never met and that's a small group interacting.)

Francis and Frances

“Maybe they don't like the weather.” Frances shrugged. “It could be the same with Spaniards. The only one I know of is the Ambassador and he has to go where he's sent. “Hmmm,” she stopped for a moment, a thoughtful expression on her face. “Perhaps black keeps one warmer than other colors? That could be why he wears it all the time.”

As they resumed walking, Frances took note of what he said about the Duchess of Cleveland making the rounds of parties. You could find gossip anywhere if you knew where to look. “Are you trying to get rid of me?” she asked. “I may talk to her later but right now, I'm more interested in greeting our host.” She smiled teasingly. “However, if you are tired of my company, just say the word, and I will make myself scarce.”

When Francis took an appetizer from a servant's tray, so did she. It was sheer good luck that she picked a mild one. “This is delicious. Now if only I had some wine to wash it down with.”

Sophia leaving the Sunderlands and approaching Ralph Montagu

Lady Sunderland didn't seem very enthusiastic about a fundraiser, but she didn't refuse to meet with Sophia either. While she was serious about immersing herself in charitable causes, this time it was more of an excuse to get to know the lady better. If she gained her trust, perhaps she could gather information for Esteban about the Northern Secretary.

It was also possible that the Countess' friendship could help her achieve her goal of becoming accepted among the more respectable ladies of court, which would do much to offset the damage done by the opera. Sophia did not regret her performance, but she had an image to uphold now that she was an Ambassador's wife.

She didn't think that she had been talking to them overly long. Esteban had been conversing with the people around him for quite a bit longer. It almost seemed as if Lord Sunderland was eager to get away from her. "If we do not get the chance to speak again tonight, I shall send you a letter and we can work out a suitable time for tea.” she told Anne.

To both of them: “I hope you both enjoy the evening. The best is yet to come."

She curtsied prettily and then moved away, wondering who she should speak to next. The two large groups didn't need her attention, and Sophia decided to leave them alone for now. There was a lady by herself that she didn't recognize, but she finally decided to approach Master Montagu, the English Ambassador to France. What would the French think of his attendance, she wondered? Or was he planning to ingratiate himself with them by doing a bit of spying?

The petite blonde strolled up to him. “I see that you are a gentleman who keeps his promises.” Her smile was playful and disarming. “And if you enjoy yourself tonight, then I will have kept mine.”

George's Group

He made the introduction without any apparent change of mood - but just what she had expected him to do she could not answer.

To Lady Habersham she again gave a reverance and as everyone seemed to be waiting for her she plunged in ....

"I am glad to see so many in attendance - I had feared for the Baroness in case only a few were to arrive - yet I can see this will be a good 'start' for her. The Ambassador will be pleased I should think."

"I hope you are well Lady Habersham? And Lady Mary tis good to see you - you should not hide your wife away Lord Beverly she is far to charming for that!" She gently chided.

"For how else can we all become acquainted and help to ease her way? I hope that you will come to visit me for I am easy to find these days as all The Queen's Ladies seemingly are being held close."

Her invite was sincere and she really did hope to see the other girl.

Her blue eyes turned to George scanning his features trying to find the changes for changes there surely had to be. This first meeting would hold nothing beyond the mindless chatter that one did at these things but she was hopefull for a chance to talk with him alone. It would be in some Public Place she knew but that mattered not.

The scar he had left on her heart was no longer painful and she herself was also changed enough to now understand that while she had Loved him it twas more the 'idea' of Love that had taken such a firm hold over her. Perhaps it had been the same for him?

"Have you been Home long Lord Chichester?"

She wanted to ask where he had hid away but hoped he might provide some clue or other to the group in General - unless he had already and she had missed it?

Toledo and the large group

"Perfectly understandable," Charles said sympathetically. "You are doubtless a very busy man, even at this time of year."

The comment on Neapolitan cribs had merely been an unimportant throwaway example of differing Christmas customs- the people of Naples produced cribs far larger and more elaborate than any Charles had seen elsewhere. He saw that Bystead was confused by the reference, but pressed on without drawing attention to it.

My own fault for expecting a Scandinavian to be familiar with Mediterranean customs.

Charles matched the Dane's demeanour, smiling broadly.

"A man after my own heart I see. You know, I once entertained thoughts of visiting Russia myself- a relatively young country, out on the frontier, seemed very exciting to a young man with no responsibilities."

Truthfully, that romantic fancy was only part of the reason he had considered the idea. The rest of it was the fact that Russia, Sweden and the Commonwealth were clustered around the Baltic like three large, belligerent drunks in a tavern too small for them. Sooner or later, someone's elbow would be jogged, and then the furniture would be smashed to kindling. Charles fancied he could go far under such circumstances.

In the here and now, however, he allowed himself a small sigh.

"Of course, these days, it does not look likely that I shall see much past Flanders for the foreseeable future."

Sophia

The parting with the Sunderlands was amicable. They moved towards George's group after pausing a moment to discuss something privately.

Montagu was pleased to see Lady Toledo approach. Being something of a lady's man, he enjoyed buxom ladies that were easy on the eyes. "Happy holidays Baroness," he greeted as she approached. "A lovely party to be sure. Here I am sampling your pastries when I should be mixing with your guests, but I could not help myself."

Audley

"I fear I will not travel further than Flanders either," the Dane admitted. When the English court was done for the season he would make his way back to Copenhagen, but not before visiting the United Provinces along the way.

Esteban noted that Chatham took no umbrage at the fact that his book was left unread. He nodded his appreciation and turned to note Bristol speak. "I am thinking I might like a sail along the Baltic and visit Copenhagen, Stockholm and St. Petersburg during the summer recess. I have spent too much time in the south." He was making a mental resolution for the New Year. George Digby was an adventurer at heart. Things had become too tame in Spain and France for him. Perhaps the Tsar would have need of wise counsel and adventure.

Beverleys, George, Davina, Lady Habersham, & Ambassador

Beverley blinked, unsure of what to say to the thought that he hid his wife away. She had been quite far from hidden away. They have been living in the palace which was about as public as was possible.

"Yes, I agree, Lady Beverley is too much of a jewel for that, Mistress Wellesley," he replied with a smile before turning to give Mary a warmer smile. He could not, of course, disagree with Davina on his wife's merit, and nor would it be polite to contradict a lady about her whereabouts. It was, sometimes, difficult to be a man. Women were strange creatures, so fanciful!

Then again Beverley was a very obtuse male.

"I do hope you are finding the season well, for you do look to be," Beverley asked and complimented Davina in one; it was the safe, scripted sort of small talk that Beverley was good at. It was deep things which oft found him at a loss.

Sophia and Montagu

“Happy Holidays to you too.” Sophia grinned when he complimented the appetizers. A servant was gliding toward them, weaving around the guests, and as he stopped beside them, she plucked a pastry filled with chorizo and gorganzola from the tray. “There will be plenty of time tonight to do both.”

Her gaze traveled the lone lady (Duchess of Cleveland) and she smiled at her, wondering if she might wish to join them. “So you like spicy fare?” she asked Montagu. Her eyes sparkled mischievously. “If I didn't know better, I would think you were England's representative to Spain rather than France. I have heard that the food there is rather dull.”

If he took that as an insult, perhaps his loyalties no longer lay with his homeland.

Beverleys, George, Davina, Lady Habersham, & Ambassador

Davina's arrival did tilt the balance of conversation somewhat, though the Queens lady found that the group in general was content to allow her take the reins. She had the bearing of a woman with a purpose, while George might privately think that purpose might be himself, he was not egocentric enough make a scene.

"Indeed." George agreed with Beverly's compliment to Mistress Wellesley.

"Just a few weeks in fact." was his reply upon the length of time he'd been returned to England. "A rolling stone gathers no moss." he looked about the group and chuckled to the well worn cliché, while he collected a glass from passing tray.

“… speaking of rolling stones, Lord Beverly may I have a moment in private?”

He hoped to step aside with his young friend, to dispel (or was that escape) the residual awkwardness that laid between himself and Davina.

Beverleys, George, Davina, Lady Habersham, & Ambassado and George Leaving

Her features changed not at all as she offered Lord Chichester a smile and a nod adding

"Well I am glad to see you returned as are many I am sure."

Her words would take in the present Company naturally.

Yet she could read him enough still to see that he was made uncomfortable in some way by her presence thus unannounced and while she was sorry for that it was a thing that needs must be begun. His words and then asking for Beverly only reinforced her thinking.

She let him go and then turnd back to the others' making small talk with Lady Habersham and Lady Mary then inquired of the Ambassador and how he was keeping ....

She knew where Charles was and at some soon point she would excuse herself and thereby go to him. The momentary darking of her blue eyes and the slight 'flush' to her cheeks might be mistaken for something else but to any that knew her well it signaled a rise of her temper!

Sophia

"Yes, I do enjoy spicy fare," Montagu replied. And a spicy affair too. He smiled at his unvoiced jest.

"The French are famous for their sauces and the Spanish for their spices. I do enjoy both." That was his diplomatic attempt to avoid showing a preference.

The Duchess of Cleveland seemed to be crashing the party but had not yet engaged. Ralph knew her very well but pretended otherwise.

George's Group, soon to be without George

Lady Habersham acknowledged to Davina that she was well and watched the Queen's lady perform. Her mind was already testing possible matches with her and her two favorite male courtiers -- George and Francis. Matchmaking was the favorite sport of matrons.

Mary smiled politely at all the attention. She too worried as to whether she should be seen more, and where, but said nothing.

The Dutch Ambassador watched as well, content to have a moment to collect a glass of wine from a passing servant. He replied to Davina's query that all was well. It was meaningless and polite banter as the guests awaited to see what else might be planned by the Toledos.

"If I kissed the ground three days after you past," Charles retorted, "then surely dozens of others would have passed by as well, so who is to know who I might be paying homage to? Surely a wealth of other ladies may well have passed as well." He gave a smile that indicated that he was not done yet with their game.

Duncan's tale was not surprising. Langdon had been led to believe that Lauderdale ran a tight ship, and was not loved for it. "Perhaps it is too cold for a rebellion. Better to wait for spring," he chuckled lightly. "It was good you came by ship."

As for how the holidays had been going, Charles was of mixed mind. The situation with Frances was gnawing at him, threatening to ruin his holiday spirit. The exchange with Caroline earlier in the day still caused him angst. "All is going well enough," he replied politely.

"How well do either of you know the Frenchwoman Lady Kendishall?" he asked. "I just met her today."

Toledo and the large group

"It seems to have become the pivot around which the whole of western Europe turns," Charles observed. "Curious for such a relatively small place." He frowned in thought and reconsidered. "Though perhaps not so curious when one takes into account the inexorable laws of geography. There are so few other places for the Continental powers to clash."

Listening to Bristol, Charles could not help but grin and nod along with the older man's words.

"I know what you mean. Italy aside, and even that only to a certain extent, the south is a braodly settled question. Things to the north are far more... fluid. Makes life interesting." He snorted. "Ah, I grouse now, but I'm like to have enough diversion and interest in Flanders if matters develop as seems likely."

Davina Departing - heading for her Mark

It was, she deduced, the perfect moment for her to slip away as well.. After all no one was truly expected to remain within a Group the entire eveningl!

She answered the Ambassador back offering him the Wishes of the Season, to Lady Habersham she wished her the same adding a curtsey and finally to Lady Mary adding that she did hope the other would seek her out at Whitehall ....

Now with purpose she droped another curtsey and removed herself her eyes going to and holding the spot where Charles was still with Lord Melville and Sedley. She smiled as she walked but in no hurry taking time for other acknowledgements and for a moment her gaze met her brothers' but she gave him no sign of intentions.

Taking a drink from a servant she took a healthy sip then set it back on the tray. She needed to keep a clear head and besides the idea of getting drunk here was just as unplesant as the day after drinking! It would be to her own advantage to let the other woman get to that stage for then her true roots would show. Davina was after all the daughter and sister of a Viscount.

But of more import Sedley was no match for her own wit and charms.

She stopped just short of intruding to listen in. And allow one of the two men to acknowledge her presence - far better to enter the battlefield with the help of others'!

To Catherine, thirty was still relatively young and she wondered why Lord Melville was implying that he was ancient. “I understand you perfectly.” She flashed him a coquettish smile. “And if Lord Langdon does know any old men with addled brains, I have yet to meet them. You, my lord, are certainly not among them.”

Charles still didn't understand the jest. “Yes, others would have walked there too, but you would remember the very place where I stepped and that is the spot that you would kiss. I wouldn't be surprised if you kiss the ground I walked on every week just because it makes you feel closer to me.”

Catherine smirked back at him. She wondered what Duncan thought about their verbal competition, or if he had even noticed. There were whispers all over court that she was his mistress. Lovers often playfully teased each other in the presence of their friends. Or even complete strangers, if they were bold enough.

The season was going 'well enough?' Catherine's eyes narrowed. He could have her whenever he wanted and it was just 'well enough?' He should have said that this Christmas was the most exciting season he had ever experienced and he was ecstatically happy. Perhaps that was what he was thinking but he just didn't think saying it was appropriate. This was not a libertine party, after all.

Still, she couldn't resist a little revenge in the way of flirtation. “It's going well for me too.” She winked at Lord Melville. “And it seems a little brighter now that you are here.”

Her eyes spun to Charles when he asked if either of them knew Lady Kendishall. Was he seeking retribution for her flirting or was he actually interested in a Frenchwoman? If he was, she would have to seek her out and have a little talk with her, whoever she was. “I've never even heard of her,” Catherine admitted.

Sophia and Montagu

The Ambassador smiled as if amused. At her? Or at some memory or private joke? Most likely the latter. Sophia was still not completely fluent in English, but she didn't make as many mistakes as she used to. She knew that her question had been properly worded. Maybe he was just a jovial fellow.

She should have known he would give her a diplomatic answer. That's what Ambassadors did, except her own husband when he was at home. He had certainly not been diplomatic about the opera. Her eyes traveled over to Esteban's group and she glanced briefly at Lord Chatham before turning her attention back to Ralph.

“I've never sampled French food, nor have I been to France.” Sophia chuckled lightly. “Considering that France and Spain are always at each other's throats, it is unlikely that I ever will. I do know some arias from French operas, though. Are you a fan of the opera, Your Excellency?"

Catherine, Charles & Duncan

“Aye”, Duncan exaggerated his Scotch burr, “too difficult to play the pipes in the winter!” He smiled openly, and changed back to normal speech. “Yes, thank you. Seas can be treacherous in the north, but if you are not foolish and reckless, you will arrive safely. Same can’t be said about roads right now”. Indeed, winter storms could be very dangerous, but good captains simply stayed safe in port, and continued when the storm left.

“You think far too highly of me, Miss Sedley. But your good wishes are gratefully accepted”. It was not that Duncan was old. It was that, as fit and warlike as he was, sickness had a way to get him sometimes, just as it did old people.

The Lowlander had to repress a smile at the back and forth banter between the two. If they are not lovers, they will soon be. The viscount had been in London for only a few days, not enough to catch up on all the gossip. Then the young lady decided to flirt with him, of all people. Although at court flirting had been elevated to an art form, the Scotch had always been terrible at it. Besides, his strict Presbyterian upbringing forbade him, as a married man, to flirt with a young and beautiful woman. It took him a second or two to come up with an appropriate answer and, perhaps, the pause was noticed.

“I am certain that it is not I, who brighten the room, but yourself”, he replied, thinking that the response was appropriate. “I could only have brought the chill of the north with me!” He countered lightheartedly.

Then, Charles asked about Caroline. An interesting question… she made an impression on him. The question is… what kind of impression? Catherine answered first, stating that she did not know the lady.

“Baroness Kendishall? Yes, I made her acquaintance earlier this year. She is witty and vivacious, and not afraid to speak her mind”. Perhaps widowhood does that to a woman? “She is also an accomplished cello player. She played hers to great effect aboard Lord Kingston’s yacht last season”. Not only that, but Duncan had liked her very much. “Why do you ask, my lord?”

Although invited, the Lowlander had not attended Caroline’s party, as he had arrived to London a day late. Otherwise, he could have added a thing or two.

Audley

"The Baltic does not get it due in Western Europe," the Dane lamented. "The focus is ever on the French progress in the Lowlands and not upon the battles we are winning against the Swedes, the French allies." The Empire was cognizant of the importance of Sweden, and Denmark thereby, but the West was not, at least not to the satisfaction of the Danes.

Sophia

"If you have not been to France then, as an Englishman, I can tell you that you have missed nothing Senora." He flashed that same amused smile. "As a traveler of the world I might think that France offers much. Their wines are not half bad. Their palaces are satisfactory certainly. Their fashion tends towards the outlandish. As with any land there are natural splendors and rolling countryside. Their food, however, tends to be more flavorful than the standard English fare ... though ours is heartier." It was his own diplomatic way of praising France without appearing to praise them.

"Indeed I like the opera. I was a great admirer of your own part in the opera this year." His smile became more impish as his eyes caressed her features.

Catherine, Charles & Duncan, and then Davina

Thirty sounded awfully old to a man of 23. Seven years felt an eternity at such a young age.

"Why would I need to kiss the ground to be close to you," Charles retorted "when you seek constantly to be at my side?" Okay, that one seemed a bit overmuch in mixed company, causing Charles to whisper to Duncan in a voice Catherine could hear "it is a game Miss Sedley and I play as to who is the more popular. It is all in good fun. We all know she is more tolerable company than me."

The topic of Caroline was not so fun. "My 12 year old ward ran away from home because she did not like the company I invited to dinner." He gave Catherine a look, knowing that she understood exactly what he was saying. "She fell in with a boy on the street that was teaching her criminal tricks like pickpocketing. She became enamored with the deliquent and I threatened to have him arrested and sent to Fleet Prison unless she promised to come home with me and not run away again. It worked, of course, but this Frenchwoman appears out of nowhere accusing me of being a jailor. Mind you, I do not know her at all, nor does my ward, but she insists that I surrender my ward to her. Can you imagine? A French stranger." He was shaking his head in disbelief. "I rightly tell her it is a private affair and that the King himself appointed me the guardian of the girl. Does she desist? No, she tells me that she knows important people and she shall use all of her influence to destroy me! Her. And then she encourages my ward to run off and stay with her." He paused for dramatic effect.

"Fortunately, I was raised better than she, though that is a low standard, so I bid her good day and she wished me a miserable one. I had thought that the French understood etiquette and taught it to their children. Maybe this one was raised by a shrew instead. It would explain much." He suspected that Duncan thought well of this French shrew, but he felt the need to rant to a fellow soldier that understood that everything he had done was justified and that everything Caroline had done was contemptible.

It was then that he noticed his Davina standing near. Without thinking of the consequences of inviting his sweetheart into the company of his mistress, Charles reached out to her. "Speaking of a lady," he exclaimed, "there is one of the Queen's own. Miss Wellsley, please come join us and help me rid my thoughts of a poor encounter earlier today." He turned to introduce Davina. "Miss Davina Wellsley may I present Miss Catherine Sedley? And this is Lord Melville, who I believe you have met." He had seen Davina with Duncan in the other group a mere minute or two before.

Francis & Frances joining Lord Toledo's Big Group

"Never," he replied with a grin. "I just fear a group of men shan't hold much interest in topics of conversation for very long." He chuckled. "I would not think you would wish to be stuck with me, a wholly different sentiment." The clarification was quite true. He wagered ladies could get up to quite the conversations at these events and that was nothing to be said for the potential of conversations to be overheard.

That was far more intriguing than Francis talking about war and trade.

"Ahh, wine Your Grace, well, as you command," he said, flagging down a servant and plucking them both a glass.

THey neared Toledo's group and Francis greeted their host at an acceptable pause in conversation. "Good evening, Your Excellency." He greeted the others he knew with his usual pretty politeness*. He was on his best behaviour at such events, and some of that incessant training of Buckingham's had paid off.

"Are you all acquainted with the Duchess of Richmond?" he offered, to make sure that his lady friend was introduced to those she did not know.

(*I wasn't sure if Rupert was still in the group or not. I've lost a bit of track )

Beverley & George

"Certainly, my lord," Beverley replied. He gave his wife a pat on the hand in encouragement. It was new for her to be his wife but not much new to be around such personages, so he trusted that she could make small talk quite easily without him. Failing all else, she could greet their hostess in his absence. "Do excuse us."

He walked a short way off with George and smiled. He chanced a commentary, "Mistress Wellesley seems to have departed rather quickly."

His eyes attempted to also follow where she was going. Flashbacks of Brighton were somewhat in the back of his mind.

Speaking quietly, he said, "I have had a chance to speak with His Highness." He had also sent a note but when it would get to CHichester was unknown to Beverley.

Catherine, Charles & Duncan, and then Davina

Davina had very good ears and so she was able to hear Charles' last remarks and gave a secret smile glad that she had now an indication of what "Game" they played.

She moved towards her lover with calmness and draped her arm thru his as if it were completely natural smiling up at him her eyes dancing in amusement as she answered

"Why Lord Langdon how else can I react save to say that I am ever ready to aid in any way I can. And your Salute is, as always, well rec'd."

She turned her smile to Lord Melville inclining her dark head

"Indeed we have and you Mistress Sedley if you may recall we have already an introduction - was it not in Chapel or have I confused you with another - you are as I remember."

Her gaze traveled over the other woman yet her arm remainded encased in his a smile of sincerity evident in her tone. She was not yet ready for Battle. She needed to take the measure of her opponent first as well as gage how her lover was inclined. His actions would determine her own.

"I do hope you have been well?" She asked Mistress Sedley.

Francis and Francis joining Toledo's group

Frances adored Lord Kingston's boyish grin and she was pleased that he wasn't trying to get rid of her. She didn't plan on staying by his side all evening. The Duchess loved gossip, but not when it was about her, and she didn't want to give the rumormongers any fodder about a relationship between herself and her escort. And she did want to meet the mysterious man in black. He wasn't her type … too short and dark and foreign. Yet she was curious about him just the same.

“You should know that I never tire of your company, my lord,” she flattered with a mischievous smile. “However, if I do get bored with the conversation, I'll wander off and find some ladies to talk to.”

He understood her hint and fetched her a glass of wine from a servant's tray. She could have tried to grab one herself, but she had once missed and the glass had tumbled to the floor, splashing its contents all over one of her new gowns. Luckily, she had been in the midst of a crowd and nobody had noticed. This was a smaller group. If she did such a thing here, she might be thought of as clumsy, even though she wasn't.

Lord Kingston led her over to the large group gathered around the host. Some of its members were familiar to her and others were strangers. Frances smiled politely and waited to be acknowledged, like a proper lady should.

Duncan, Charles, Davina, and Catherine

Catherine had turned twenty less than two weeks ago, and perhaps the reason she didn't think thirty was ancient was because she had been the mistress of the Duke of York, who was in his forties and older than her own father. Compared to him, Lord Melville looked youthful indeed.

Charles partially explained their little game and complimented her in the process. She decided to let the competition go for now. This wasn't the time or the place for naughty banner and try as she might, she couldn't think of anything to say that was the least bit tame. They could resume the contest when they were alone again. There would be plenty of time for she intended to convince him to take her home with him. It was too bad he no longer kept their cottage. She missed that rustic love nest.

Duncan complimented her as well. It was clear to a seasoned flirt like Catherine that he was uncomfortable with being flattered. “Why thank you, my lord. I don't believe it was the cold you brought with you, but a breath of fresh air.”

It was an effort to keep an impassive expression on her face when Charles explained why he had asked about Lady Kendishall. Frances … that little brat … was always causing trouble. Catherine had hoped that she had disappeared into the streets of London never to be seen again. At least she didn't have to worry that her lover was infatuated with the French Baroness. He seemed infuriated with her instead.

And she wanted to take Frances? Perhaps Catherine would have a little talk with her anyway and encourage her to lure the girl away from him. Because Frances had a crush on him, she would continue to cause trouble as long as she remained in his house. It was best that she stay with a woman until she was old enough to be sensible.

She gave Charles a look of understanding, but before she could comment, he reached toward Mistress Wellsley, who had apparently been lurking nearby. Catherine struggled even harder to keep her composure as the Queen's lady-in-waiting looped her arm through his. They seemed to be more familiar with each other than she had thought, conversing as if they were good friends.

Or were they more than that? Mistress Wellsley had been a part of Lady Toledo's group when Charles had glanced that way. What if it wasn't the Baroness he fancied? “Yes, I remember,” she said, favoring the other woman with a warm smile. It would not help matters to reveal her suspicions. Affability got better results.

Know thy enemy.

If enemy she was.

Catherine nodded politely. “I have been well. And what of you, Mistress Wellsley? Have you been enjoying yourself this season? When we met, you and Lord Langdon discussed an escort of Life Guards for the Queen. How did that go, by the way?”

Since the two of them had spoken of the situation in front of her, she assumed that it was acceptable to mention it in Lord Melville's presence.

Sophia and Montagu

Sophia wanted to say that any food was preferable to English cuisine, but she swallowed her words before she spoke them. She knew she must learn to be diplomatic too, and Montagu was an Englishman even though he resided in France. “I suppose that every country has both positive and negative qualities, but so far, the good has outweighed the bad in my own travels. Amsterdam and Madrid were both charming, and I could sing the praises of Venice until the end of time.”

Hoping that Lord Chatham would look her way, she placed two fingers to her cheek, tilting her head to the side as if remembering the places she had visited. Leaning forward slightly, she whispered: “Do not tell my lord husband, but I would like to go to France eventually, simply because I have never been there before. Perhaps there will be peace between the two countries some day. Nothing is impossible.”

Maybe King Louis would wish to ally himself with Spain when he saw how it was thriving under Don Juan's leadership. Less than a century ago, it had been the most powerful country in Europe, and Sophia believed that her royal lover would restore it to its former glory … and beyond.

She didn't miss Montagu's mischievous smile or the way his eyes danced appreciatively over her small form. Was he one one of those gentlemen who believed that she was wanton because of the amorous nature of her performance? It would be best to disabuse him of that notion right away.

“Why, thank you, Your Excellency. I enjoyed my one and only foray into the performing arts. One of the other singers told me that some people would not be able to separate me from my role, but that is rubbish, is it not? I am nothing like the goddess Diana.” She grinned mischievously. “I haven't turned any gentlemen into stags all week.”

Oops. Maybe that had not been the right thing to say.

Or perhaps it had.

“Does French opera differ much from the Italian form of the art?”

Duncan, Charles, Davina, and Catherine

so now face to face the dance begins ... let us see which is Better shall we ...

Davina had overheard but a small fragment of conversation but it was enough to make her assume that her lover and Sedley were still cavorting and while she knew her 'hold' over him was nothing really and he could populate his bed with whomever he chose it irked her that he had thought it prudent to bring this one - and she a cast of of York's as well!

Guessing too that her casul manner with Charles had struck a nerve she nonetheless replied back with equal warmth

"Indeed you are correct Mistress Sedley - and that arrangement went, as it always does, with smoothness. Lord langdon is VERY adpt after all at everything. I cannot recall the last time any fault was found."

"And as for myself I am well enough and right glad that Chistmas Court is here and not at Richmond or Hampton - I fancy not a River journey no matter the comforts and Windsor by road this time of year would be just as bad."

She turned her attentions to the other Gentleman asking

"Does Lady Melville join you then? I do not see her ..."