JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

The Christmas Ball (25/12 Evening)- Xmas 1677

Blackguard

The Pretty Blondes Club: Diana and Sophia

The young Baroness laughed as Diana described a possible new fashion trend should the candles on the Queen's gift accidentally singe somebody. Her imagination seemed to be as vivid as Sophia's. An image popped into her mind of ladies wearing gowns with burnt edges and uneven hair that was black around the ends. Gentleman would have holes in their frock coats, blackened stockings and some of the curls on their periwigs would be burned off. It was quite a hilarious notion.

“It could happen,” she said, still chuckling “especially if those courtiers known for their sense of fashion bump into my candles. Still, I would rather not take the risk. Let somebody else start that trend.”

Her chuckles turned into a soft sigh when Diana spoke of the burdens of being the wife of an Ambassador. She didn't know that the other blonde had been courted by one; she had probably been living a double life in Venice at that time. “I am not even sure what I am supposed to do, other than entertain and support my lord husband. I am afraid I will not be taken seriously because I am so young.”

So Lady Gowran was happy with her marriage. Sophia was glad to hear it, but she shook her head sadly when she revealed that she didn't get to see her family much anymore. Did her husband forbid her to spend time with them? That didn't sound like freedom to her.

“You have a family. That is the most important thing. Both of my parents are dead and I have no siblings or other relatives.” She didn't think she had ever told Diana anything about her past. “I met my husband's family when I visited Madrid. They were very kind to me and seemed to like me. Perhaps they will be my family now. Do you get along well with your husband's family?”

As for the banquet at the Embassy, Sophia smiled mysteriously. “There will be special entertainment, but I can say no more than that. It will be a surprise. I can tell you it has nothing to do with politics, though.” Her expression became thoughtful. "I am not certain if I will sing. It did not go over very well at my last party.”

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ladies Lucas and Dunmore

Seeing the sense in her words Cordelia agreed to this Plan

"Yes I do think some intervention is indeed called for! Maldon? Hmm .. I think that is he there but my line of sight is impeeded so I think it best for me to simply go in that direction and when I do find him shall beg some of his time."

"Then once he is Ours we shall make for Mistress Dwight - will that suit? Best to get her in hand before any tongues begin to wag over what occured with the other I say! And what of her ... Aunt you said? Too busy to keep an eye upon the girl I'll wage. Letting her go to Ruin in full view of not only this Company but their Majesties as well!"

Not that They would have noticed but one could never be sure.

She would exchange a few more words then seek out Lord Maldon

John and the Cavendish Ladies

John smiled at Lady Frances and kissed her hand. He was seized by doubt at her intimacy. Had they been closer than he remembered and he'd forgotten her? The idea of that filled him with dread. He'd been forgotten and he hated the idea of doing it to someone else.

Still, he smiled warmly, “I’m well, thank you.” He was well pleased. The bond of family was one of his joys.

Devonshire had already set the precedent in John's mind that baronets were worthy of dances with noble blooded and high ranked ladies. Not marriage, certainly, but John felt it looked desperate and tacky to restrict contact with the opposite sex to potential spouses anyway.

But Elizabeth's demand seemed to be a simple demand they be equal or higher ranked. John's mind turned. The daughter of a duke was outranked by earls, marquesses, dukes, the heirs of marquesses, and the heirs of dukes. They were, obviously, equivalent to the children of dukes. Plus the whole of the nobility was outranked by royalty and...

“I'll t-t-tell them my lady d-d-does not wish meet those below her rank. Instead, I c-c-could introduce her to His Excellency the Lord Toledo," John offered. As an ambassador, he outranked even her father. He hoped it would either work or give him a firm but honorable rejection to leave on.

As for Ablemarle, “Lady Kendishall. I… introduced you earlier.” John reminded her, though she hadn’t paid her more mind than a nod. She might also recall that she was his company to the dance tonight.

OOC: If Cordelia's approaching, please tag John and write out what she says/does on the approach.

The Pretty Blondes Club: Sophia and Diana

“Oh, but it would almost be worth it just to see them hopping about with their precious design was aflame.” Diana giggled, the thought did cross her mind on if she could possible stage such a happening. Her grey twinkled as she darted an impish glance about the room, casing the place for possible victims of a… almost harmless prank.

Her nose twitched, and she signed… not on Christmas. That was simply too much.

Shifting to look back at Sophia, “Well, I suppose that all depends on what sort of wife you would prefer to be.” With a subtle nod around the room, she looked back at Sophia and arched an eyebrow. “Even here in this room there are several different kinds of wives. So, decide what sort of wife you intend to be…”

“If they don’t take you seriously then it shall be their mistake. You do not have to show every boon you carry…” Diana’s grey eyes had become a little sly and she lifted the wine to her lips and looked away catching Lord Langdon’s glance. Swallowing her wine she lifted her glass a fraction as a salute to him.

“Family is important. You don’t realize how important until they are gone.” She sounded momentarily whimsical then cleared her throat softly, “Well, that is a boon to be glad of. A kind family and they like you… lucky girl. My husband’s mother in-law is not quite so friendly with me. I am not what she’d hoped for Lord Gowran.” Diana shrugged nonchalantly, “But then again, I can’t say I’d be terribly sorry if her dress was one of the victims of your candles going awry.”

Her interest piqued at the mention of special entertainment and that Sophia wouldn’t say anymore than that. “Well… I certainly can’t miss it now. I adore surprise entertainment.” Snapping her mouth shut, she paused then laughed, “As long as I am not the surprise entertainment.” Biting her bottom lip, “What is it do you think that is causing you not to go over well? Is it the choice of songs?”

The Blond Cousins Club

Francis and Susan

“Yes, I do, but I don't know why.” Ahh, so he didn't dance well. That could be fixed easily enough. “I doubt that the ladies would care how well you dance.” The way some of her friends talked about him, they wouldn't even notice if he stepped on their toes or stumbled into other couples.

“If you want to improve, I can help you,” Susan offered. He might feel more comfortable practicing with somebody who would not laugh at him or think poorly of him no matter how awkward he was. She had never taught a gentleman to dance before, but it would be a pleasant way to spend time with him, if he agreed.

“I won't dance with my brothers. It will be much more fun to see who will ask them. Lord Langdon suggested that I dance with the King, but I think that is too daring even for me. I would not want Her Majesty to think I fancy him.” She glanced around the room, her eyes lighting on various gentlemen. Most of them, she already knew.

“It's hard to choose.” Susan looked up at him curiously. “Now that our roles are reversed, I can see why some gentlemen are hesitant to ask ladies to dance. Too many choices. Do you have any suggestions?” Her eyes danced with mirth. “Or any dares?”

"Did my lady mother put you up to this?" he asked, with a raised brow and a chuckle. "Or your lady mother?" He looked toward where he had last seen Susan's mother. At one point, he thought he had seen them together with the Duchess.

Well that's worrisome, he thought.

"At any rate, if you wish to help me improve, you can join the throng of friends, lady mother, and Buckingham's oh so generous insistence on professional tutelage, who all wish to torture me into dancing like a Villiers." He grinned some. It was a familiar thing to him.

"Why not His Majesty?" Francis asked. "You are of good enough birth to claim such a thing, and you know the King has a soft spot for your lady mother..."

Indeed, Pembroke's saving grace for even being allowed at court was that His Majesty had a very hard time dealing with tears from any woman he cared about.

"...And Tom for that matter. Poor chap had this look on his face earlier as if the King was trying to marry him off again."

Beverley and his Wife

The French lords were obliged to allow Beverley to withdraw. "Of course." Each man gave a modest bow in the form of a nod as the young officer moved away.

"The dance was enjoyable," Mary replied. She did love to dance, like many young ladies. "Were the French nice to you?" she inquired, more interested in how they treated her husband that in the information exchanged.

"Do you wish to dance the next dance together, or do you wish to wait?" If it was up to her, she would dance each of the next three dances with her husband. They got along well enough. He treated her well. She knew that she could ask anyone to dance, but it did not seem proper to do so, as a married lady, at least without leave of her husband.

"I am glad of it," Beverley replied to her, with a smile. "You had the, erm, more forgiving and enjoyable task."

As to the French, he said, "They were polite. I do not think they have had much success finding out things from more important personages like His Highness...So they think to try me. I should think most know by now that my master does not like intriguing sorts of politics."

Indeed, Rupert was of the old ways; the King decided all and that was that. The Prince would then do his best to make sure it all worked out to his royal cousin's advantage and the country's advantage. Like with the RUpertinoes...

"If you wish it, my lady," he replied. "We must certainly dance the last together, do you not think? His Majesty wishes the ladies in charge tonight, my dear, so you should think on who you wish for the 4th..."

Sophia thought it would be hilarious to watch some of the more pompous ladies and gentleman jumping around trying to extinguish their flaming clothes, but she didn't want to be the cause of it. Esteban would be furious, and there would be yet another mark against her reputation … a musical seductress and reckless as well.

“Maybe we could start a fire trend,” she suggested. “We could use beads to make our gowns look like they are burning and have them designed to look like flames.” The petite Baroness had always wanted to start a fashion trend. She was still attempting to popularize the Venetian look, but so far, nobody had copied her style.

She wondered if Diana would be shocked if she knew exactly what kind of wife she was … married to an Ambassador and mistress to a Spanish Prince. That decision had already been made. “I must be the sort of wife my lord husband wants me to be. I am not quite certain what he expects of me. He allowed me to sing in the opera and then condemned my performance afterward. No matter how hard I try, I can't seem to please him. And if he doesn't take me seriously, who else will?”

Sophia hoped that the banquet would show the entire court what a gracious hostess she was. “Is it the same way with you?” Maybe all new wives were confused about their husbands' expectations when they had been married for political advantage rather than love. The petite blonde had married for love, but not the love of her husband. Her relationship with her husband was awkward at best.

“Very true,” the young singer agreed. Had Diana lost somebody close to her as well? Sophia couldn't believe that the Countess' mother-in-law wasn't happy with her. At least the feeling seemed to be mutual. “If she doesn't like you, then she is a fool. You are beautiful, intelligent, and witty. What more could she want in a daughter-in-law? Maybe she is one of those people who is never happy.”

Sophia laughed. “You will like this surprise. England has never seen anything like it before. And I promise it is not you. Or me for that matter.” Her smile faded when Diana asked about her previous party. “I suspect it was because the entertainment started badly. Ronquillo, the former Ambassador, asked me to sing a duet with him in Spanish. He told me what it was about but refused to translate the words.

“I thought that he just couldn't translate well between Spanish and English, and as I never sing a song unless I am able to put the proper emotion behind the words, I sang it for Lord Melville, who speaks fluent Spanish. As it turned out, it was a song about a married woman who was in love with another man and if I would have sung it the way he intended, it would have dishonored my lord husband. With the help of Master Greyson, we came up with a plan to turn the tables on him. It worked, but I believe that our audience sensed that something was amiss and that ruined the rest of my performance.”

She sighed sadly. “I will never agree to sing a duet again in a language I do not understand. At least Ronquillo is gone now. Did you ever meet him?” Her lyrical voice held a note of bitterness. “The man was a snake. My lord husband is a better Ambassador than he ever was or could ever be."

Ladies Lucas and Dunmore

Cordelia seemed to prefer jointly collecting up Maldon and then finding Elizabeth. From her perspective the urgency of the girl had reduced some, as the eye patched chap was now nowhere in sight, and the young miss has drifted down the hall innocently enough.

"Very well." Dunmoore agreed, and followed along with her friend in sport.

OOC: as Constance doesn't know him, she leaves it to Cordelia to approach&do the honors etc.

Miss Dwight, Wandering About upon Charles

"Hello." Grinning at the gentleman, Miss Dwight cheerfully dipped a curtsy all while being very careful not to spill her brim full glass of liquer. "Liquid gold." she raised her eyebrows motioning to her glass as she arose, "or at least that is what I call it. I am full of funny little things like that." she giggled then, "oh you ought to ask me what I call the last drink at a party."

She'd seen Lord Langdon around and about over the year's, bot for whatever reason they'd never spoken. It couldn't be that he'd avoided her, for what gentleman would do that?

"I like your shirt."

Lady Lucas finds Maldon and More 'Family'

She parted from Lady Dunmore and walked with some assurance towards that place where she'd thought to have seen Lord Maldon.

She had been right. There he was but he was not alone as she'd imagined. She slowed her gait and then stopped altogether as her eyes appraised. There was Elizabeth, Duchess of Ablemarle, with what must be the eldest of the other sisters. Elizabeth would have no trouble in remembering her as Cordelia was but a year older than the current Duke who was forty-seven so her memory should be quite intact.

Her late husband Humphrey had claimed Margaret Lucas as Kin - she was the second wife and some thirty years her husband's junior - and so established a relationship with the couple when they had still been Marquis and Marchioness of Newcastle. They had even attended the Ball in '65 to mark the occasion of his inheriantce of the Title. But her death in '73 had seen the end of those visits.

How timely then that this Christmas Court was here in Londoin with so many Families returning expressely for it and so perfect a opportunity for her to claim a spot once again within that Family unit. She had had tea with the current Duchess of Newcastle and so she had managed to get one foot inside the proveriable door.

And now opportunity called again. She smiled and approached calling out a greeting

"Happy Christmas Your Grace. Lord Maldon. I had hoped to see some Family amongst this crowd this night."

She was all warmth and smiles as she gave the Duchess her reverance then a nice nod of her head to John. "I had quite the time making my way through I can tell you! And what a turn of events - a 'backwards' night to be sure. Have you brought your sister?"

She asked John. She wanted to pull him aside as soon as possible so would not spend too much time in chatter.

Diana’s face lit up with a slow smile at the thought of a fire trend. It was definitely one of the more interesting trends she’d considered since she had been in England. Her teeth fretted on her bottom lip as she considered all of the possibilities to that and then darted a look to Lady Toledo.

“My but that is an idea…” She breathed, “Between the two of us, we might could get that trend started.” Her nose wrinkled just a fraction and she continued, “All it takes is simply a word in the right ear and all of court would be speaking of it by the end of the ball.” Darting a doe eyed look around the room, “Hmm… now which little birdy shall we drop the word too.” Her gaze lingered a moment on the Cavendish ladies but it appeared Lady Lucas, whom Diana had yet to become acquainted with swarmed in on them. Hadn’t she heard the matchmaking widow was considered fashionable? That wouldn’t do… She might well dispute the obvious choice of trend. Then again she might not, but it wasn’t a gamble Diana was comfortable with.

Her gaze moved around the room again this time landing on her cousin Davina in the company of Mall, Pembroke, and Louis. She studied it for a moment then looked back to Sophia. “How about my cousin, Mistress Wellsley?” Davina was considered fashionable and it appeared that she was free thinking… has of lately. “I think if we can convince her that fire is the new fur.” Her lips lifted just a tiny bit on the corners giving the countess an almost impish appearance.

Diana didn’t know if it would have surprised Sophia or not but she’d come to her own conclusions about married life and the types of wives that were out there from her own trial and error rather than watching those around her. It hadn’t really dawned on Diana just how many types of wives there were out there until she’d seemed to shuffle back and forth between a couple of the groups herself. It didn’t stop Diana from pausing while lifting the glass for another sip at Sophia’s response. Her cool eyes studied the Ambassador’s wife, sizing her up a little. After a long moment, she gave a ‘harrumph’ any Howard would have been proud of. “He’s a lucky man if he has you questioning yourself.” Setting the wine down she turned to fully face Sophia. “It does not surprise me at all that your husband has not made it clear what he expects of you. As long as you don’t know, you can be anything… even someone for him to blame. You said he allowed you to sing at the opera and then condemned your performance? Was there any reason for him to condemn your performance? It sounds like something else is bothering him.”

That was a feeling she knew rather well… Diana still wasn’t comfortable mentioning Rinaldi’s name in front of her husband. She continued, “You are a talented singer and a court beauty, of whatever he is playing at you are still an asset for him.” She shrugged and picked the glass up again lifting it to her lips as she spoke, “If he is not using you to the best of his ability it’s an error on his part.”

Was it the same way with her? No, it hadn’t been since the morning after their wedding. Her gaze dropped and she gave the floor a wry smile. “No. No, Lord Gowran made it perfectly clear from the start exactly what he expected from me. I can’t admit to being the most cooperative all of the time to his expectations but he tell me exactly what to expect very early on.” Her words seemed almost amused as she spoke.

The gossip had already died down of Diana’s arrival when Lady Toledo had joined their court. But to most people it was really no secret that she was the orphaned cousin to the Howards. It had been a tale most tragic, first the murder of her mother and then the death of her father lost at sea… and penniless too. Granted the Howards had never been anything but most generous with her, but it was always there. Always lingering that she was completely dependent upon them. Perhaps that was why she had married so quickly, anything to become her own person again. Not that she was really her own person now, but at least she was a countess and lady of her own house. Besides Gowran provided his own unique set of benefits that Diana didn’t object to in the least too.

“His mother I do believe would have been happier with a protestant, despite her son being a Catholic…” Diana rolled her eyes slightly, “As long as I am Catholic, I fear I will never live up to her expectations. Did you know she kept moving my decor around in our house in Ireland while we were there? Has if I was incapable of finding exactly where I wished to set anything… or lacked the skill set to place my own decor… she obviously knew a better place to place it.”

“Something the likes of England has never seen before…” Diana murmured silkily. That was all the more intriguing. She didn’t linger too long or else she’d have been searching for something a bit stronger to try and wile away what sort of entertainment was to be planned. Her mind was racing with possibilities.

Sophia’s smile faced as she asked about the previous party and explained her own thoughts on why it had ended badly. Diana listened, soaking it up like a sponge. When the little blonde was finished, Diana gave a small sigh and nodded. “It sounds like the audience was teased with a hint of a scandal. Just enough to whet their appetite for something juicy to gossip about. It’s good you didn’t simply roll over and let him get by with that though. Well done.”

With a small shake of her head, “I don’t believe I was ever introduced to him, or if I was he does not stand out greatly in my mind. I am afraid I was better acquainted with the Savoyards than the Spaniards. The Duchess of Savoy is really someone to take notes from… she plays the court as well as anyone I’ve ever been acquainted with. It’s just a little terrifying to be sure…” Diana smiled at that, hoping it appeared that she was only teasing on that matter.

John and the Cavendish Ladies

Elizabeth Monck sniffed audibly at the mention of both limiting introductions for her youger sister and for the reminder as to Caroline. With the former, Elizabeth was annoyed that Frances was so timid. She should have approached Thomas Herbert and the men around the King, if not the King himself. The Duchess was resolving to approach the King, not for her own dance, but for Frances. The King could hardly decline. Her attention was drawn to where the King was enjoying the company of that Scottish woman.

As for Toledo, Elizabeth found herself shaking her head towards John. The man was married and worse, he was foreign. It did not matter to her that he was an Ambassador.

As for the latter, Elizabeth had a habit of quickly forgetting names of those having no meaning to her life. It was only when the French widow moved in on her husband that she became interested in the woman.

Francis and Susan

Frances Stuart and George Legge arrived to find the pair contently conversing. Frances could not imagine why such a pretty and eligible lady such as Herbert was not taking advantage of the situation to approach the most eligible lords at court.

"Lady Susan," Richmond declared as they arrived to make a foursome. "No luck in gaining a dance from this one?" she jested. She meant Francis of course. "I have brought you a more than adequate dancer in the form of another cousin." By this she meant George.

"More than adequate?" George feigned hurt, to which Frances giggled in glee.

Beverley and Mary

"Perhaps they were impressed by you," Mary offered as an optimistic alternative. It was the duty of a wife to build up the confidence of her husband after all.

"I should be happy to dance any dance with you. You dance so well," she complimented. "Who would you suggest I approach for the fourth dance?" Mary inquired softly. She was trying hard to be a dutiful wife and act older than she was.

Elizabeth Dwight Encounters Her Second Charles

Perhaps he had been avoiding her over the years, or perhaps he was fortunate, but their paths had not crossed to the point that formal introductions had been exchanged.

"Happy Christmas," he greeted the young lady. He looked to see if they were under mistletoe. If so, he would certainly give the woman a friendly holiday kiss. "I do not believe we have been introduced. I am Charles Whitehurst, the Earl of Langdon." He paused for her own introduction.

"Just what is this liquid gold of which you speak?" he inquired. "Certainly it cannot be the punch I am drinking." He could hardly liken it to gold.

She complimented his shirt, which was curious, since it was nothing but an ordinary white shirt. Did she mean his uniform instead, he wondered. People could get nervous and misspeak. "Thank you." It was the custom to thank someone for a compliment, no matter how odd it might seem. "You have a nice dress too."

The Blond Cousins Club Expands

“No,” Susan laughed. “Nobody put me up to it. I was just curious as to why you always avoid dancing. I could have asked your lady mother, but I would rather hear it from you.” One blonde eyebrow rose as he listed all of the people who wanted him to learn to dance. “Why are you so against it? If you learn how, then everyone will stop bugging you about it.”

She believed that the King would dance with her if she asked him, as long as no pretty ladies were vying for his attention. At the moment, he was occupied with Lady Alyth, which most likely angered the Queen. Would Her Majesty rather Susan dance with him than any of his mistresses or would she suspect that her maid of honor wished to join their ranks? She did not not want to displease the Queen in any way, shape, form, or fashion.

“I wouldn't be surprised if he is,” she remarked about the King trying to marry her brother off. “I'm not sure if any lady has caught his fancy yet, but he can't stay single forever.” Her smile turned impish. “And neither can you. My friends talk about you all the time, hoping they will be the one you choose.”

Susan noticed the Duchess of Richmond walking toward them with another of her cousins and smiled at both of them. “No luck at all, Your Grace,” she answered the Duchess with a theatrical sigh and a mischievous little wink for Francis. “Maybe you will have better luck than I.”

Did she want to be alone with Francis? Was that why she was offering George as a dance partner? Susan chuckled at their exchange. “Let me be the judge of your dancing skills,” she told her other cousin, “if you don't mind sharing the next dance with me.”

The Pretty Blondes Club: Diana nd Sophia

Sophia was pleased that Diana liked her idea. “I would love to include Mistress Wellsley in our plans.” She hadn't known that the two ladies were cousins. The Countess' husband didn't seem to be keeping her away from Davina so she had not lost contact with every member of her family. “Maybe the three of us should get together and talk about it. We can plan the designs, have them made, and then debut them at the next ball. With three of us wearing the new fire trend, we will definitely be noticed and maybe other ladies will copy our style.”

As for her husband, she had once thought she knew what he expected of her, but their situations had now changed. She wished he had told her what her new role would entail, but it was possible that he didn't know. He was new to his position as well. The petite blonde wanted to help him but all she seemed to do was displease him time and time again. And now she was making plans that would infuriate him to no end …

“I do not think he has any malicious intent toward me. Maybe he does not know what he wants from me. Or maybe he wants nothing at all but a pretty ornament to adorn his arm. He is so distant. I do not know him at all. He was angered at my performance because he said it was too seductive and that my costumes were too skimpy. He told me that every gentleman there thought I wanted to sleep with them. Maybe my portrayal of the goddess was a bit over the top, but it was opera. All good operas are over the top.”

She sighed when Diana declared that Esteban should use her assets to his advantage. “That is what I told him about the opera. My performance could open doors to him that had previously been closed. Not everyone he wishes to impress belongs to proper circles. Some powerful courtiers are libertines. And the King enjoyed it immensely. He probably appreciates my lord husband allowing me to entertain him with my talents. Maybe he will even think better of Spain because of me.”

Sophia envied Diana for knowing what her husband expected of her, even if she didn't always conform. In that, the two ladies were alike. “We can't do as they say all the time or we would never have any fun.” She grinned mischievously. “Besides, we have to keep them on their toes, do we not?”

So her mother-in-law disapproved of Diana because she was Catholic. “Do not let her get to you and she will quite plaguing you,” she advised. “If she rearranges your furniture, leave it where she put it and pretend you did not notice. When she realizes that she cannot annoy you, she might actually begin to respect you. Maybe she is trying to take her frustration with your husband's faith out on you. I feel fortunate that my husband's family accepted me even though I am Protestant. However, I am feeling the pressure now to convert. That I have not done so may be another reason my lord husband is unhappy with me.”

Sophia nodded when Diana praised her for not letting Ronquillo get away with his nefarious scheme. “If I was not adamant about putting the proper emotion behind every word I sing, there would have been a scandal. I would have inadvertently insulted my lord husband's honor and I doubt he would have ever forgiven me. Honor is all important to a Spaniard.”

Her curiosity was piqued by Lady Gowran's mention of the Duchess of Savoy. “I have never heard of her, but she sounds like someone I would like to meet … or at least watch from afar. Maybe I could learn a few things about navigating the English court from just observing her. Is she here tonight?”

Miss Dwight & Lord Langdon

She saw his eyes flick upward above them. Lizzie was not completely foolish - quick as a flash, infact by the time he lowered eyes again, she was holding her sprig of mistletoe over her head, eyes dancing tipping her lips for a kiss.

"Mistress Elizabeth Dwight." she provided her introduction, then just incase he'd not twigged by her words, she added helpfully, "I'm not married.. well, not yet." She grinned, hoping, that news was what he was hoping to hear. She knew he was not married anymore, a girl of her position kept tabs of such things.

"Oh and I am so sorry for your widowerhood." she added, to be polite, "Wasn't that terrible luck. I heard it was a pond, or, something?"

"Oh, it is honey liqueur. It tastes so lovely, and you only need to take tiny sips each time. One glass lasts for just ages. Would you like to try?" She still had designs upon Lord Chatham, but Lord Langdon would make a good match for her too. Lord Langdon had both eyes, and didn't have the Turkish curse, or at least probably didn't.

She fairly beamed when he complimented her dress - it was all going swimmingly.

"Ah, Lord Langdon, I just wondered.. do you know any Turks?" she thought to ask, to be sure.

John, the Cavendish Ladies, Cordelia, and Lady Dunmore(?)

“There are not m-m-many above her rank.” John said apologetically. And that was true enough. Earls or higher that were seeking brides were a very small group. “You m-m-might bring her before the King. He’s marrying p-p-people tonight. Maybe he’s f-f-finding dance partners as well.” It seemed a sound enough strategy to him, since Lady Frances was so shy. But drink was also loosening his tongue a bit.

At any rate, John had his rejection and was ready to move on. He would tell Sophia (truthfully) they were so focused on finding Frances a husband they didn't want her to meet anyone she couldn't marry. At least not tonight.

Before he could leave though, Cordelia approached, “Ah, Lady Lucas. A p-p-pleasure to see you again.” John smiled widely. His tone was warm. She complained of the trouble of moving through the thick crowd, "D-d-do you want me to walk you through?"

“Oh yes, they’re about.” John had two sisters and a brother, though he’d mostly been paying Catherine mind. He scanned the room briefly, “Lady Catherine’s… with Lord Cavendish.” He shared, but of the others he hadn’t seen much. He trusted they were well, though.

John was confused at the lack of reaction to Lady Lucas by the ladies. These were her connections more than his. His eyes seemed to beg the question of what was going on.

Given his expression, despite his words, Caroline wondered if he did not get what she had been trying to convey about her party. She had used 'enthusiastic' rather than 'libertine'. Should she have been more blunt? John had told her the man was a libertine, just the sort she wanted there that night. However he certainly did accept, that was what she wanted to hear.

"Oh yes, I shall have the invitation out on the morrow, you can be assured," she beamed, "Wear whatever you like, you're a Duke. Theme? Hmmmm..."

Caroline glanced upward, there was mistletoe above their heads, how convenient. Suddenly she got on her tiptoes and pressed an ardent kiss upon his lips, leaving it there a bit longer than necessary before stepping back.

"The theme is fun and games, be prepared for both," she promised with a grin as she pointed upward in case he wondered just what had happened there.

Douglas, Her Majesty’s party and Charles departing

Ursula was a strong woman, having survived several husbands. The absence of Charles was felt, but she was not forlorn. There were too many exciting things afoot. It was Christmas and it looked like her liege was pregnant at last. Running the Queen's household did not provide a wealth of free time.

Douglas remarked about the lonliness of being a stranger in a strange land, or so it seemed to both Germans. yet, they had both adopted England as their homes and felt reasonably comfortable in their adopted kingdom.

Lady Blount nodded her understanding. "And you Captain, are you missing someone this season?" It seemed the polite thing to ask. The Queen was less interested in this conversation than who her husband was with. Her eyes were sharp though she was careful not to stare.

Cordelia's Arrival with the Cavendishes

Elizabeth had been absorbed in thinking about her sister when the matron Cordelia arrived. Ablemarle knew her well enough, though Lady Lucas was more a friend of her mother. "Happy Christmas Lady Lucas. We were just discussing how pretty Frances looks," Elizabeth lied, trying tomake her sister feel more comfortable. "Yes, I am keeping my sister company as she ponders which lords might be worthy of her attention tonight." The thought went through her head that Cordelia might help Frances with her timid nature. Yet, the matron seemed more interested in speaking with Maldon. "Are you dancing tonight?"

Caroline and the Duke of Ablemarle

A bit surprised by the ardent kiss, Chris found himself smiling. He returned the kiss but briefly.

He liked also the answer that he could wear whatever he wanted because of his station. "I like fun and games." Who did not? He was left to wonder whether there would be card games, or something more lively. He would just need to wait and see. "I shall look forward to the invitation."

Following a polite holiday kiss, Charles replied politely "a pleasure to meet you Miss Dwight. Welcome news to court bachelors I'm sure." The Earl often felt the need to flatter ladies. He was not sure he had ever heard of the Dwights, so he was left to wonder as to her lineage.

"Thank you for your condolences." The less said about his late wife the better.

"Honey liqueur? I cannot recall tasting it before. I am happy to try it," he offered, though certain it was more of a lady's drink.

His mood darkened at the mention of Turks. "I have known several, most of which were villains trying to enslave English girls. I fear that I dispatched all that I could find, but it was in a worthy cause of releasing their English captives." He had been sorely wounded in that engagement and Sam Gillis had alsot died jumping in front of a miniball for him.

“Thank you. I think she might be very interested in the plan. And…” Pausing, Diana gave a half smile to Sophia, “And who knows if she is in favor with it then perhaps even the Queen will be enticed to the trend. It is a long shot, but perhaps we can beat the odds.” It wasn’t any great secret around court that Mistress Wellsley was a cousin to the Howards, and that Diana had been a Howard before she’d been a Butler. She’d missed Davina among her cousins as well, but Isabel and especially Henry had become almost a sibling… almost. “I was about to suggest something similar. With the weather has cold as it has been we can sit around a fire and plan the designs, perhaps we can even get one of the seamstresses to meet with us.”

Her blonde head bobbed a couple times as proof that she was listening to Lady Toledo discussing her husband and thought about it curiously. Why would a husband hold malicious intent towards his wife? If she did not think that he had any, it seemed to Diana that Sophia might believe there was reason to have a malicious intent. She wondered what she could have done that would cause the thought of malicious intent to come into her head. If she thought he didn’t hold any intentions… it did mean she’d thought about it… wondered about. Very curious.

“Maybe he doesn’t know what he wants from you, perhaps he is conflicted in what he thinks he should want and what he really wants. It’s also just as likely that he wants nothing but a pretty ornament to adorn his arm… but if that’s so then I fear his future as an ambassador will be nothing but an uphill journey.” A small frown had worked onto her lips, for Sophia’s benefit, Diana hoped her husband wasn’t such an imbecile as not to realize his wife was an asset to him. Her brows knitted together as she considered what Sophia said transpired between the Ambassador and herself concerning the costumes. It sounded quite a bit more like her husband was quite conflicted with his feelings. Operas were flamboyant, richly themed...an escape from the mundane to another world. Operas were an art.

Tilting her head a little, she continued to listen as Sophia spoke agreed that she’d tried to convince her husband that she was an asset. Lifting her drink to her lips, she took a sip, swallowed and looked down at her glass. “And what did he have to say to that? Did he acknowledge even to some degree that you were correct?” She took a slow breath and glanced up at Sophia and added, “I can understand your husband wishing you not venture into the circles that are considered less than proper. That is undoubtedly his job and one which if you try and help him in will only complicate matters further. Making him the laughing stock among his companions isn’t advisable and if you venture into those less than proper circles that is exactly what you’ll do to him. While some of the powerful courtiers are libertines, most do not wish their wives to be such.” Diana’s lips lifted into another half smile and she rolled her eyes blandly, “The King enjoys a great many things I am sure the Queen would prefer he didn’t…” Diana gave a small subtle nod at the King and the Scottish woman, “Case in point.” Drawing a slow look back to Sophia, Diana’s eyebrows pinched together again, and her voice dropped to a whisper. “Are you telling me you think the King appreciates your husband even more for allowing you to entertain him with your talents…?”

Sophia flopped from libertine to discussing entertaining the King with her talents… it was a natural flow of things that lead Diana to believe it was more than simply her singing for she was not simply entertaining the king but quite a few people. Singling out the King as her entertained party caused Diana to be naturally suspicious. The small voice in her head gave a small whistle, Blue blazes! And my husband thinks he’s got his hands full… Diana swallowed and cleared her throat a little, “Believe me, I do not think he will think better of Spain if you are entertaining him.” Her eyes were alight at the the flood of information that swirled in her head right then. Sweet stars above, who would have expected the pretty little blonde soprano was the King’s little side dish. It all seemed to make a bit more sense to Diana now why Lady Toledo was worried what the Queen might think of her. Oh Lord! And she’d mentioned going to go speak with Davina. Well, that was off the table now… they’d just have to bide their time for that conversation.

Sophia spoke and tossed a mischievous grin at Diana. Lifting the glass to her lips, there was a hint of a smile there before she took a deeper sip and gulped it down. The wine rushing to her head and causing a flush to spread over her cheeks and down her neck. “Right! Keep them on their toes...that is an excellent idea! More power to the woman whose husband is on his toes…” Diana murmured.

The conversation swirled to religion and Diana admittedly couldn’t focus quite as well on it now that she couldn’t shake the thought that the sweet Lady Toledo was a mistress to the King. Her eyes darted around the room as she looked for her husband (Lord Gowran), the wine was leaving her feeling impish… or maybe just impulsive. Glancing at Sophia, Diana couldn’t help moving the furniture back… it was a compulsive move on her part. She’d go insane knowing that her things were being moved by that woman. It seemed likely that her mother-in-law was taking her frustrations out on Diana that didn’t make her any less wish that the woman’s hair might singe a little from a misplaced candle. She snorted back a nasty comment about her mother-in-law and replaced it with a nod of her head in agreement, “That is fortunate, especially considering the religious and political climate of Protestants and Catholics… even more so considering your husband’s station places in directly in the middle of such climates. Converting is something serious... have you discussed it with your husband?”

Honor is all important to a Spaniard. Diana’s eyes widened just a fraction and she looked away. Had Sophia just said that to her? How could she understand how important honor was and yet speak of entertaining the King and wishing to open doors that were closed… less than proper circle doors. She didn’t say anything just smiled at Sophia, she couldn’t help seeing her in a different light now.

At her piqued interest in the Duchess of Savoy, Diana’s smile faded just a fraction. “No, I don’t believe I’ve seen her. Though, if anyone should know her whereabouts at any given time it’s Ambassador Rinaldi. You met him the other day, correct? Is that the first time you’ve been introduced to him?” Diana was subtly fishing for Sophia’s opinion of the toady ambassador, her eyes studying Sophia.

Douglas and Her Majesty’s Party

It was one thing to feel comfortable in an adopted land, it was quite another not to miss the warmth and friends of home, even a little. Or so thought Douglas, a Scot amongst the English. Even he missed the folk and traditions of home; everything here in London was just different enough to be jarring.

So it was perhaps that an answer came easily to his lips when Lady Mountjoy turned the question back on him. “I had hoped Laird Melville an’ Lairdy Beatrice wuid be in London fer Christmas.”* He admitted, honest truth. Melville was a good friend of the MacBain clan, and he’d enjoyed Beatrice’s company.

“Tae absent fam’ly an’ friends.”** He suggested, lifting his glass in toast.

The Queen’s attention seemed elsewhere, and unthinkingly Douglas followed her gaze, finding the King at the other end of it. Why did she study him so intently? It was something to ponder. She’d already chased the mistresses to Chelsea; was she to prove a very jealous wife?

Subtitles

* “I had hope Lord Melville and Lady Beatrice would be in London for Christmas.”

** “To absent friends.”

Heather and Rupert

Their heads were full of politics and hidden meanings, while the mischievious redheaded Countess was simply having some merry Christmas fun and wasn't that difficult to read. Just kiss a lot of soldiers in a merry chase that would end with her own soldier prince, not the admiral who was put one step in that direction. Surely there was a mistletoe near the dancefloor?

'Good, good," Heather murmured to the Ambassador, while claiming Rupert's arm with almost undue haste. "Make merry then, while we make merry on the dancefloor." She fair dragged Cumberland away "Oh, no, I just had a drink, thank you. I find if I started drinking too early I may never make it to end of the evening," she confided in the prince "It has been ever so these last months."

OOC: I could have sworn I posted here before. To the dancefloor

“To get the Queen's interest, our trend will have to be modest and understated instead of flamboyant, but it can be done. Maybe it will become so popular that it will go down in history as one of the best clothing trends of all time.” Her imagination was running away with her again but anything was possible. Sophia thought that Elizabethan fashions were completely impractical with those huge ruffs and wide skirts, but they had been popular at the time. How did one walk through a door in those gowns? Sideways? That must have been awkward.

“We can meet at my house,” she offered. “I draw well enough to put our ideas down on paper. My maidservant is an excellent seamstress and can offer us advice. She probably even knows some dressmakers who can bring our creations to life.” It seemed to Sophia that Anna knew every commoner in London.

Sophia had spoken of malicious intent because she knew that some wives were hated and even abused by their husbands. They beat them regularly or sent them away to the country to live out their lives in solitude. Esteban would never treat her so callously, not while she was Juan's mistress. Keeping her happy kept his master happy, which also might be the reason he had not put too many restrictions upon her. Still, she hardly knew him. Maybe he regretted marrying her now that he knew she was not perfect and prone to mischief. She would never be one of those frumpy matrons who turned their nose up at anyone who went against their unreasonably high standards of propriety, not even when she was old and gray. Well, old and white. Her hair was almost white already. As she aged, it would just lose the slight hint of color it now possessed.

“Perhaps. Now I think he sees me as a silly girl who cannot do anything to help him. I will have to prove him wrong but I am not certain how. I am planning the banquet at the Embassy and I will be responsible for keeping my guests happy. Since most of the nobility has been invited, that will be quite a task. If I can do it, then maybe he will see that I am more than just a pretty face. I am also learning about politics. It seems important that an Ambassador's wife knows what is going on in the world.”

The petite Baroness shook her head. “He was very angry at me. I told him to wait and see how we were treated tonight before he jumped to any conclusions my performance. He seemed to think that we would be shunned and gentlemen would proposition me right and left, but so far, that has not happened. At least not to me. I do not know how he is faring. We separated soon after we arrived. Maybe those closed doors are opening to him now. I can but hope.”

Her eyes narrowed when Diana professed that the King would not think better of her husband or Spain because he enjoyed her talents. Did the other blonde believe that her voice was not beautiful enough to impress royalty? To her knowledge, the Countess had never heard her sing so what did she …

Oh!

Sophia blushed clear to the roots of her hair when she realized that Diana had misunderstood her. “Nein! Nein! It is not like that. My English is not so good. I entertained the King only with my voice, nothing else. He commissioned the opera so my focus was mostly on him. If he wished for me to become his mistress, I would turn him down. I have absolutely no desire to be one of many. I take my marriage vows seriously and am faithful to my lord husband.” Well, mostly.

Sophia took another long gulp of wine. She was beginning to feel its effects now. The world was sparkling around the edges and she felt a bit giddy. She had never been able to hold her liquor well.

The subject turned to religion and she sighed. “Before we were married, my lord husband told me that he needed a Protestant wife if he was going to become the English Ambassador. In truth, I am not particularly attached to my faith. As a child, I attended Protestant services with my father and Catholic services with my stepmother. All I really went for was the singing. Now that I am older … I do not know. It is a very big step, and one that I may not ever be prepared to take. Maybe when I have children, it will be different. My lord husband is adamant that they be raised as Catholics.”

Sophia didn't understand why Diana looked away or why her smile faded when she asked after the Duchess of Savoy. Maybe they didn't get along? Then she mentioned Rinaldi and the young Baroness wrinkled her nose. “Yes, that was the first time I spoke to him … and hopefully the last. I did not like him any more than I liked my lord husband's predecessor. Did you see the way he leered at Lady Kendishall?” She shivered slightly and took another gulp of wine. “He looked like he wanted to devour her.”

“Mmm-hmm,” Raising a perfectly sculpted eyebrow at Sophia for pointing out the obvious. “Let’s not get ahead of ourselves, one step at a time. We need to a plan to introduce this trend if we want to succeed.” Modest and understated as long as it was simple and elegant suited Diana just fine. It was in her experience beautiful women did not need the flamboyant get ups those less blessed by the fates needed to draw attention. Simple. Elegant. That would be what the design Diana would favor and anything more would no doubt receive some sort of ridicule from her.

Sophia readily offered her home for a meeting and Diana nodded in agreement. “That’s good, I am afraid my drawing would render almost indistinguishable designs.” Giving a small smile, “If she doesn’t perhaps, Mistress Wellsley if she agrees to join us, or myself can bring a seamstress, one who would not blab to the entire of court what we are up too.”

“The banquet is a starting place. Is there anything in particular he is hoping to achieve with this little event?” She offered a warm smile to the ambassador’s wife. “Yes, there is quite a great deal of responsibilities to being an ambassador’s wife. Knowing who to seat where, what are you hoping to achieve by such a parties and working to achieve it. An ambassador’s wife must know her first position at court is that has the wife of a representative of a foreign country. You should know everything that is going on in that country and the general feelings of those here at court in regards to your country.” Giving an affirmative nod of her head, “I do not envy you in those regards.”

With a sideways glance at Sophia, “How has the reception been this evening?” Glancing back to her cousin, Davina and her companions she sighed, “If your husband is that suspicious, perhaps we should wait until Lord Basildon wanders off. While he would be a good door for your husband to open, he might be just a little too pretty for your husband’s piece of mind…” Her lips tugged slightly into a smile, “I can send a letter to Mistress Wellsley that we wished to discuss something with her. I am sure she would amiable to meeting with us. Is there anyone else you’d like to meet, perhaps I can help?”

It seemed to dawn on Sophia exactly what conclusions Diana had jumped to and she started to deny it. Diana studied her for a long moment then nodded her head, “Of course. I would never had said anything if you were but if you are not then I shall just say… speaking of entertaining our King is quite a dangerous topic of conversation. You entertained everyone, not just the King.” She smiled softly and reached out to pat Sophia’s hand reassuringly, dropping her voice just a fraction, “Even if your entire focus is upon him… never admit that he is the only one you entertained. It can lead to the wrong impressions with some people.”

It was Sophia’s turn to take a long gulp of her wine and Diana didn’t put too much notice in it considering she couldn’t hold her liquor as well as some of those at court could either. She suffered some of the similar effects that Sophia was feeling… the room sparkled and as if she could see everything more clearly and yet it was all slightly fuzzy.

Diana’s eyes widened a fraction as Sophia admitted that the only reason she attended some of the services was for the singing. Her cool eyes looked about the room nervously as she tried to decide what to say to that. Deciding to ignore it, “I quite agree with your husband that the children should be raised as Catholics, if their father is Catholic then they should not be confused about where they stand.” Shifting to bring her gaze back to Sophia, “However, I disagree that you should remain Protestant. I can understand a man in politics converting to Protestantism in these times but… your religion will not affect how you play at politics.” She frowned, “I would be terrified that not converting would drive my husband further away if we were not of the same ideals. It is hard to appear united when one goes to one church and the other goes to another.”

Her lips tightened and she gave a nod of agreement, “I do not think I would put much into his leer at Lady Kendishall.” Leaning in just a fraction to whisper her secret, “I do believe he is quite in love with the Duchess of Savoy… not that she even gives him a second thought that way way.” Straightening she gave Sophia a pointed look then continued, “But he is as wily with the court games as his mistress is... your husband should be weary of him. If you have any sort of problems with him please, don’t hesitate to let me know and I’ll do my best to report it to the Duchess of Savoy.” Her voice was still low enough for just the two of them but she was no longer leaning in and acting suspiciously like she was sharing a secret with the Spanish Ambassador’s wife.

Caroline and Ablemarle

The Duke amiably professed he enjoyed fun and games. Her kiss had not offended him in the least, luckily for her. Caroline smiled.

"And fun and games you shall get. I hope you like a bit of wagering too? Not necessarily monetary wagering though....well, you will see when you attend," she hoped to further increase his interest or at least curiosity.

As he stated he looked forward to the invitation, she returned with, "And I shall look forward to your attendance, your Grace."

She finished her drink then, wondering how long she was expected to hold the Duke's attention for Maldon. Well, there was one way to keep him close.

"May I have the honor of this next dance with you?" If he accepted, that would take up some time, John should be pleased.

Sophia's taste in clothing was eclectic. Sometimes she preferred understated elegance and sometimes she liked extravagant styles, such as her starlight gown from the ball last May. That gown had been a work of art that transcended mere attire. Her dress tonight was both elegant and flamboyant. The cut was modest but the cloth-of-silver enhanced with crimson roses made it stand out from the crowd. She was ever theatrical and her clothes reflected that inclination.

“Ja, we need to keep this secret until we debut it. I trust my maidservant to find someone who will be discreet, but if you or Mistress Wellsley know any good and loyal seamstresses, bring them along. We might need more than one opinion on how how the gowns can be constructed.” She knew little of such things herself, but she had been thinking for some time of attempting to design her own clothes now that she was becoming more skilled at drawing and painting. Practice made perfect, and the young Baroness practiced painting nearly as often as she practiced singing. She still hoped to find an art tutor eventually, but at the moment, it was not high on her list of priorities.

“I do not know,” Sophia confessed. “The banquet was my idea. He never discusses his plans with me, but he did agree to it, so he hopes it will be beneficial in some way. If nothing else, it may improve England's perception of Spain, which I have been told is mostly negative. Now that Don Juan is in control, maybe relations between the two countries will improve.”

Sophia nodded when Diana described some of her new responsibilities. “It is a lot to learn. Sometimes I feel as if I have bit off more than I can chew. Being German and unfamiliar with English customs and traditions does not help. Maybe my lord husband wishes he had married an Englishwoman now.” She squared her shoulders and lifted her chin. “But I will show him that I can do everything that is expected of me and more. Whatever it is.

“I have been treated very well so far. No one has even looked at me with disapproval and no gentleman has propositioned me. I think my lord husband overreacted. There will always be a few courtiers who do not like me, but I do not think anyone blames me for my performance in the opera. It was only theatre and I was just playing a part. I believe that most people know that I am nothing like the character I portrayed.”

Her gaze followed Diana's over to Davina's group. She was fairly certain that Lord Basildon had absolutely no interest in her, and she didn't think that Esteban would mind if she conversed with him. He was married, after all. Her husband seemed more worried about single gentlemen. “He left me alone with Lord Chatham, and he told me I could dance with whomever I chose. He can watch me here and make certain I do nothing to dishonor him, which of course, I would never do.

“But perhaps a letter would be the best way to contact Mistress Wellsley. You are her cousin. I will leave that up to you.” As for people she would like to meet: “I believe my lord husband is hoping that I will be accepted in the proper court circles, so if you know of any ladies who belong to those circles, I would love to meet them.”

Sophia's eyes widened as Diana explained what she had said wrong. “So when I say I entertained the King or that I pleased him, everyone will think that I slept with him? Thank you for telling me this.” She squeezed Diana's hand in gratitude. “There is still much I need to learn about the English language. I do not want anyone to get the wrong idea about me.”

When she had been a child, Sophia had only gone to Church for the singing. Now … well, she still went for the singing, to be honest. Sermons bored her and she never remembered what the pastor spoke about after the service was over. Her mind often wandered to topics that would shock any pious individual, such as the details of those glorious nights she had spent in Juan's arms when she had visited Madrid.

“He has not asked me to convert. He brought a priest back with him from Spain and I have felt a subtle pressure from him. I am the only Protestant in the household. I think I need to know more about both faiths before I make a life-altering decision. I must choose the one that fits my beliefs best in order to be true to myself and to God.” She smiled wryly. “At the moment, all I know that separates the two is that Catholics confess to a priest and Protestants do not. In truth, I have never pondered religion much. I believe in God. That is what truly matters.”

So the Duchess of Savoy was Ambassador Rinaldi's mistress? Sophia wondered if Esteban knew of it. If not, she would tell him. “Again, I do not know what my husband thinks of him. I have not told him that I met him, but I will. I do not think the Savoyard Ambassador liked me any more than I liked him. Perhaps he and my lord husband are already foes. But if he troubles me, I will let you know.” Now she really looked forward to meeting the Duchess of Savoy. None of the Ambassadors had wives, so perhaps she could befriend their mistresses instead. Valuable knowledge could come from anywhere or anyone.

The Pretty Blondes Club: Sophia and Diana, Heading towards the Butlers??

While Lady Toledo might have trusted her maidservant, Diana most certainly did not. She wasn’t even sure she trusted her maidservant half of the time. That was not what Diana said, “It’s not a big thing…” Let us hope that Davina would know of a fashionable seamstress who could be discreet. “Perhaps, we could have them bring some decent fabric samples for us to look at too.” A warm smile formed, “I can’t wait to get started on this…”

At Sophia’s confession that the banquet was her idea, Diana’s face turned just a bit more serious. Tilting her head, she gave the Baroness a curious look. “The banquet was your idea, and he agreed to it. That does not sound like he thinks you incapable or a child.” Shifting she looked back to the groups near them but continued to speak. “That is quite a lot to take upon yourself, especially after so newly being wedded. I must commend you, if you pull this off it will no doubt only settle into your husband’s eyes that he married the right woman.” If Lady Toledo failed though… Diana bit her inside of her cheek. There was no need to put those thoughts into her young friend’s mind.

That thought surprised Diana and there was a brief moment where it showed on her face as she glanced at her companion. She felt a surprising need to shelter Lady Toledo, they were so similar it seemed and yet… so different. Under normal circumstances, Diana was quite sure she’d have seen the little Baroness as open competition. Friends though are so hard to come by though, especially those who are facing similar trials. Perhaps, a surprising friendship was budding.

“Then you should learn to take bigger bites…” Diana smiled wryly. “Do not think to hard on what you think your husband is thinking. I have completely given up on mine. It is what it is… you must move forward.” She nodded firmly and continued with her pep talk. “Yes, show him that you can do everything he expected… and quite a bit more.” She lifted her almost empty wine glass in a small salute to Sophia.

“Unfortunately, while they may know you are not the character that you portrayed. The truth rarely is what people want. You’ve just wed the Spanish Ambassador… imagine the story if you were the character you portrayed. That is what people care about… the story.” Diana wished it was different but it wasn’t and so she didn’t ponder on it for long.

Turning she looked at Lady Toledo’s modestly cut but flamboyantly patterned gown and gave a half smile. “Somehow, I can’t imagine your husband meant it that you could dance with whomever you choose. In fact, it feels like a sneaky sort of test of what sort of men you choose to converse with… does it not? Hmm?” It was Diana’s nature to question everyone’s motives, if not out loud then definitely in her head.

Glancing through the crowd, Diana picked out who might be the sort of introductions that might help the little Ambassador’s wife. Sophia continued talking, and Diana merely gave her a look with a raised eyebrow in reply to Sophia asking about using the words entertained or pleased the King. Squeezing Sophia’s hand in return, “I’d hate for there to be a mixup in the translation and where certain words could lead an overactive imagination.”

As she spoke about converting, Diana glimpsed the Butlers… short of Ormonde. Giving a tug on Sophia’s arm and nodded to her sister-in-law. “How about the Duchess of Ormonde? She is one of the Butlers I quite enjoyed while we were in Ireland and that is exactly the sort of door your husband needs opened.” It was blunt and to the point but in a quieter voice, “We’ll talk more about Savoyards more privately.” Something wicked was brewing in Diana’s mind there… but she was a patient creature and would bide her time. She started towards the Butlers, setting her glass of wine down on a service tray that was passing.

Heather and Rupert

Rupert was gracious and offered Heather his arm. It was off to the dance area for the pair.

"Your youngest son, he is doing well?" Rupert inquired politely as they walked. She was blessed with two sons and by different fathers. Rupert's brother had urged him many times to take a proper wife and attempt to have a son. He had declined, happy with the company of Peg Hughes.

OOC~ Off to the dance floor and parked safely away until your return from holiday.

Mutely Lizzie nodded (she knew he was talking about himself), so surprised was she as his rather blatant announcement of interest, that she was a loss for words. That did not happen much with this lass - perhaps Charles was different than the rest?!

"At least she was only French." the girl went on to console, "and probably catholic too." he was quite handsome now she looked at him that way, though he did not dress as stylishly as Sorley had, but he did seem every bit as athletic as Richard, "I hope you are not too terribly sad to have to start all over again. It can be quite exhausting, I know." he was not as chatterson as the other Charles had been, but he did seem quite adventurous, just like Adam.

"Oh, certainly." she carefully passed him the drink to try, her eyes watching his lips as he sipped. It seemed rather special to share a drink. She didn't even do that with her sisters. "Do you like it, I can get more, Aunt Campten has a flask, we are allowed as much as we like." To Charles trained tongue he'd easily figure that while it was very sweet it was utterly un-alcoholic.

Stumbling upon the topic of Turks, her eyes widened at his reply. "They are terrible people aren't they!" she quickly agreed, his vehemence made her feel caught up into his adventure! "Why, just tonight I heard of another crime they committed, and this one upon a man. You must need stay very vigilant Lord Langdon!" she breathed, "...wha... what would they have done with the girls if you'd not saved them?" she'd inched a little closer, her eyes distracted to his lips as he spoke.

Archived