JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Yacht Race - Friday afternoon-evening

Defiance

Douglas and Ellen, near Melville and Frances

Ellen confirmed his supposition that the men were happy to let her do all the background work but objected to a lady trading, despite the sense in having the most capable person do the job. "Alas but mony men put pride afore sense."* He observed. Many courtiers had made it abundantly clear that they felt Douglas had nothing to be proud of - despite the face that he took great pride in his achievements - so he felt no qualms about using that to his advantage. Pride goeth before a fall...

The term mansplaining would not be coined for more than three centuries, but Douglas felt a little chargrinned when Ellen responded to his expounding on the subject by pointing out that she knew what a factor was. "Acoorse ye do, fergi' me." He replied easily, and she explained that he'd simply caught her by surprise. "I dinnae think yer slow at aw, but rather that atimes tis easier tae see the whale race whin yer nae the ane runnin' in't."** He said. Douglas had no skin in Horizon Ventures - yet - so to him the suggestion of using the tools available seemed obvious. 

"I ken yer smart - Melville speaks weel o' ye - an' I kin see yer forthright; both are thin's I appreciate in a lairdy."*** He said honestly. Nothing was worse than some pretty face who drivelled of nothing more than embroidery and flower arranging and ventured few opinions of her own. Duncan had no doubt seen their similarities when he suggested that Douglas ask Doolittle for Ellen's hand back then, even when Douglas only saw the company. He was enjoying the conversation with Ellen, finding that he could speak his mind without shocking her, and please that she would do the same. It seemed they shared a few similar frustrations. 

The big Scotsman considered his commitments. "Wuid ye meet me fer lunch taemorrer?" He asked. "The Red Hen daes a guid spread. I do think that Melville shuid be thair hooe'er;" rather than discussing with him later, "t'wuidnae do fer us tae meet alain."+ And Duncan, as her brother-in-law, was family and therefor appropriate. The last thing poor Ellen needed was rumours that she was inappropriately involved with him. 

The first race was run; very close until the end, the Margrave and Kingston's crew prevailing over York as Douglas had suspected that he would. Ellen had wisely taken his tip and picked the winner. "First race tae ye lassie."++ Douglas acknowledged. 

Ellen's comment just before the race began stuck with him. Natalie was clever and escaped? God but that sounded like Fiona. And Douglas had always heard that Natalie, the prettier of the three and the one Doolittle had offered him, wasn't the brightest spark. He'd never actually met the girl, but still thought he'd prefer Ellen's confidence and competence. 

Subtitles
* "Alas but many men put pride before sense."
** "Of course you do, forgive me. I don't think you're slow at all, but rather that sometimes it's easier to see the whole race when you're not the one running in it."
*** "I know you're smart - Melville speaks well of you - and I can see you're forthright; both are things I appreciate in a lady."
+ "Would you meet me for lunch tomorrow? The Red Hen does a good spread. I do think that Melville should be there however; it wouldn't do for us to meet alone."
++ "First race to you girl."

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eleanor and Henry approaching Maria and Cesare

Maria was beginning to think that she would never find her fan. She had others, though that one had been one of her favorites. Before she could tell her cousin to give up the search, she heard her friend Eleanor’s cheerful voice addressing her according to her Italian title. She turned and saw the young lady, dressed prettily in yellow and cream, walking toward her in the company of an older gentleman wearing mostly gray with a teal waistcoat. She liked the splash of color. He was also holding her errant fan.

She nudged Cesare. “That’s the lady I told you about yesterday. Be charming.”

The young man rolled his eyes. “I’m always charming.”

There was no time for further conversation as the two approached. “Mistress Bayning! You look so lovely today. Those colors suit you and the embroidery is gorgeous.” She indicated her cousin. “This is my cousin, Cesare d’Este.”

The gentleman in question doffed his tricorn hat.  Large but tasteful diamonds glittered on his hat pin, his cravat pin, and the rings he wore. He bowed deeply to both strangers. “It is a delight to meet you, my lady, my lord.” His rich and melodious baritone voice had a noticeable Italian accent. If Eleanor held up his hand, he would kiss it.

Maria looked at her friend’s guardian and smiled engagingly, expecting Mistress Bayning to introduce him.

Douglas and Ellen, Near Melville and Frances 

She gave a rather unladylike huff at his saying about Pride and men.

"We all have Pride. But there are times that even the wisest must see that it interferes  ......"

"But there is nothing that I can do regarding that emotion so let us say no more on it."

"And before I go on I just want to tell you how grateful I am in you listening to me and then offering to help."

"There is a calmness in your Company which I do not usually find."

"Am I do not flatter either."

She was not the type to do so and he must have already gotten that impression.

"I shall accept and meet you there."

She smiled up at him then for his caring of her reputation.

"I appreciate what you are doing really. But our meeting would be not on the topic at hand would it if Melville were there."

"Did we not agree to formulate some Plan before going to him?"

"There is nothing in us meeting there - I go about on my own quite often you see  ...."

"And we are in full view there and so hardly can be accused of anything compromising."

"And being seen with you is a risk then?"

She teased.

"Shall I be careful of jealous ladies then   ...."

The first Race concluded and she had won!

"Indeed I have!" She clapped her hands laughing up at him.

Her liking of him was even greater now. Was this perhaps a foretelling of things to come?

His background she knew of course but it made no difference to her.

Her opinions of him and how he treated her in return were all good indicators that they might just mesh well.

Sarah and Chatham 

She continued to study him.

She suspects still that there is much more to him and his attempts to belittle himself was just a ruse.

"One day I shall find the 'real' you Lord Chatham despite all your best efforts to put me off."

He accepted her offer of friendship with another smile.

"Good. I would have thought less of you if you had rebuffed me with a show of wit ...."

"There is a time and place to be serious and straight up just as there is for amusements."

"But be warned - do not try to play me Dark Lord or else you might not like what happens  ..."

Her words held a tease but he could well read between the lines and know she was not kidding.

He was gracious in saying she may group her winnings altogether.

"There is still a chance that I may lose and so I shall offer you the same conditions."

"Tis only fair after all. I can hardly ask you differently."

She gave him a smiled and then settled herself by his good side ready for the next Race to start.

Davina and Anne-Elisabeth 

"I do not think we would have. I mean who would think to talk of it? Any of the soldiers that were there at the entrance would have been told some story."

"And we already know that the Duchess and Lady Oakham have been silent."

"I suspect that it has been covered up enough that none are the wiser."

"The Duke would hardly allow out to be for then he would have to explain what his wife was doing - even tho most of Court already knows her interest."

"I suspect that the Duchess will be the one that seeks to escape but it could be the other way round. If the Duke is tired enough of her and her foolishness he could sent her away."

"And who would not accept the reasonings behind it?"

It was agreed so they began to walk towards the River.

"And you are familiar with all on board them all then?"

She was curious as to just what holds and friendships her friend had managed to acquire.

Davina then took to looking out over the crowds searching out for the two familiar figures.

"No I do not see the Duke but that does not mean he is not here."

"Have you a plan if we do meet any of them?"

"I think if we meet up with the Duchess or Lady Oakham we behave as if nothing occurred. "

"Let either of them make the first pass as it were. The better for us to then plan ours."

Cordelia and the Duchess of Newcastle 

"I do not think Doolittle will present any issues. How can he? His daughter is dead and by that the connection to Melville is lost."

"What relationship the two men have after is a private one."

"He is a sad figure - Lord Melville I mean. To lose his wife to an unknown illness so it is being said must have been shock. And a motherless child as well."

The Duchess agreed with the suggestion to wait and see regarding Doolittle.

"I shall be happy to accompany you Your Grace."

She accepted the offer.

"If the opportunity presents then I shall be glad to do so. Perhaps we might arrange a ride in the Park for next week with her and I ...."

Said as the two began to stroll towards the River.

Henry, Eleanor, Maria and Cesare

"Thank you, you're too kind." Eleanor beamed when Maria complimented her outfit. "I love your dress; such rich dyes." The colours were so strong, they were glorious. The fact that Maria's teal matched that of Henry's waist coat did not escape her. 

Then Maria introduced her cousin. Eleanor dropped automatically into a graceful curtsey, gaze lowered, and held out a hand that he might symbolically help her up from the curtsey. She wasn't expecting the kiss on the fingers - no gentleman at court had yet done so - and her blue eyes widened slightly and flicked up to meet his dark ones from beneath her artfully arranged curls. "Enchanted." She replied quickly as she'd been taught, with a little smile behind her fan, finding safety in protocol. Surely though any cousin of Maria's must be a pleasant person, and he was handsome, if swarthy to her English country bred eyes. She couldn't fail to notice the tastefully worn diamonds about his attire; they did so sparkly in the sunlight.

The girl took a little breath behind her fan, hoping that no one had noticed any loss of composure. "Please allow me to introduce my uncle Henry Grey, Baron Grey of Codnor Castle." She said in turn, delicately indicating Henry with a gesture of her fan and a smile in his direction. "It was he who rescued your fan." She told Maria conspiratorially, interested to see how they would react on meeting. 

Posted (edited)

"Altezza, an honor to make your acquaintance..." Henry bowed formally, and would kiss a hand if offered. The Baron also bowed formally to Cesare. "Signore d'Este, an honour. Are you one of the d'Estes from Modena?" He probably was, as the diamonds the man wore spoke of great wealth. "Benvenuti in Inghilterra"* he said in more than passable Italian with the slightest hint of an accent. He then switched to English for Eleanore's benefit. "I have had the pleasure of visiting Italy more than once in my quest for learning about glass. The opera and the glass artisans are world-class". Italian opera was considered the best, of course, but Lord Grey did not want to imply that only Venetian operas were worth it, so he did not mention the city specifically.

As for the fan, "it is a beautiful fan. I removed as much dust from it as I could..." Henry removed a clean cotton handkerchief from one of his waistcoat's pockets, cleaning it once more before returning it to Maria, handle first. "I am glad to have been of service, Altezza".

He then looked at both Italians before asking, "are you enjoying the yacht races?" Venice had its myriad canals, but the Baron did not have enough Italian geographic knowledge to know if Guastalla, Regio or Modena had rivers wide enough for yacht competitions, so he did not ask if they participated in them back home.

* Welcome to England.

Edited by Henry Grey
Typo

Frances and Duncan 

"Well as to being seen as something of value  ..... Time will tell I suppose."

"I keep my own counsel regardless and have for some time now regardless of how others' think."

"To listen to gossip is a thing normal is it not for then one can gain knowledge and that can be useful."

She understood his analogy perfectly.

"I think I have been living that 'secret' all my life - I have been schooled to behave in certain ways and often that requires me to adopt a mask as you call it."

"I have gotten quite skilled if I am honest with you."

She smiled a bit at him thinking how easy he was to talk to.

"Then that is settled. I am glad that we met today for now, in the future, we have no need for any awkwardness between us."

"I shall accept your offer eagerly. I have not been but know several that have. I understand that the main Business is in London but the things the shop has must be of interest to be open."

She was still undecided about what she was going to actually wear and now that this sudden idea had come time was short for any preparations to be made.

"Of course I shall - I will look forward to it."

Said in regards to a promised dance.

His words struck her deeply and she nodded in agreement.

"Yes character is the most important is it not? One must have a foundation on which to build after all and if ones character is in doubt then how can anything else be accepted?"

"You are right - I know many who possess a beautiful face but are indeed ugly beneath the surface either by deeds or words  ..."

They had been walking to the spot he had suggested and were just in time for the first Race to start.

"Oh look! Here they come!"

In her excitement she placed one hand on his arm for balance as she leaned out to watch.

It was the Margrave that took the Victory.

“The Duke could always explain his wife’s absence by saying she was ill. Perhaps everyone might think that she’s pregnant.”

Anne-Elisabeth grinned at Davina’s question. “I know who most of them are, but the only one I’ve met is His Majesty. I can be convincing when I want to be and I’m sure they would be pleased if we expressed interest in their yachts, even if they didn’t allow us to ride with them. Are you acquainted with any of the racers besides the King?”

She wondered if the Duke was even in attendance. Maybe he was still trying to cover up his wife’s part in the séance. Or perhaps, if the ‘Count’ had survived, he was arranging his demise. There was no telling how much money he had bilked out of the Duchess by convincing her that her dead father … or was it her grandfather or an uncle or something? … had a message for her and he was the only one who could contact him in the afterlife.

Davina’s plan was what she would have suggested herself. They seemed to think a lot alike in most things, though they’re lifestyles were vastly different. “Yes, they should make the first move. If they prefer to ignore us, then we ignore them too. I seriously doubt they will approach us. I don’t think they’re bold enough to confront us.”

Lady Newcastle admitted to herself that she was probably worrying for nothing. As Lord Melville was without an heir, even his father-in-law would expect him to marry again. Frances was a sweet, proper young lady and would most likely charm him if she became the Viscount's wife. 

“I’m sure she would enjoy that.” She would leave up to Lady Lucas the choice of the girl’s chaperone … either the woman who usually accompanied her or herself. Maybe it would be best if Margaret spent time with her without her mother’s presence.

The first race took place while the two ladies strolled toward the riverbank. The Duchess paused to watch the yachts sail across the river, leaving splashes of water that sparkled like diamonds in their wake. The Margrave won. She kept her expression neutral so that she would not reveal whether she had won or lost the wager she had made.

“Did any of your family come to court with you?” She knew that the other woman had a son who was not yet married and wondered if Lady Lucas was trying to arrange a marriage for him too.

Cordelia and the Duchess of Newcastle 

Her offer of an outing did not meet with any resistance so she took it a step further 

"If you raise no objections I think it would be a nice starting point if Lady Margaret and myself had the opportunity of it just being the two of us   ...."

"Perhaps a drive thru the Park? Say one day next week if the weather is good?"

"It shall, naturally, depend if Lady Margaret is receptive   ...."

She doubted that there would be any objection especially if what the Duchess had said was correct - and what better way to test it than to suggest an outing.

The winner of the first Race was the Margrave and she hid her displeasure of not getting it right and she suspects that the Duchess did the same.

She was then asked about her own family   ....

"I have one child left to me as you know but as to what his plans are  ...."

She gave a slight raise of one shoulder.

"You have a son as well Your Grace so it will come as no surprise regarding the changes of their minds."

"John is of course older than yours and even tho we share a residence I am not privy to his wants."

"Naturally it would please me greatly for him to marry but he has shown no real interest in any one particular Lady."

"I must make do I suppose and wait patiently."

She gave a small motherly sign.

"Although I will admit that I have kept an open eye about Windsor for any that might fill that Rolé."

It was actually a great irritation for her that her son was wifeless.

It made her look bad like she was inept at the Skills she professed to have.

The big man gave a snort of laughter. "True. The folly o' pride isnae reserved fer men."* He agreed. There were plenty of women who were foolish in their pride as well. For a moment his thoughts flicked to Bridget Osbourne and her father's fall from grace. She'd gone from not giving him the time of day to going on an outing with him. Funny how the change in her prospects had changed her attitude. Ellen was right of course, voicing the same conclusion that Douglas had come to eventually; there wasn't much that could be done about the foolish pride of others, except ignore it. 

Douglas had been called many things in his life so far, but 'calm' was a new one and Ellen's words of gratitude surprised him, drawing an odd, almost sad smile to the big man's lips. "Yer welcome, an' let me return the thanks. Thairs nae mony that wuid confide in me, but I think we share some o' the same frustrations. Tis... comfortable, speakin' wi' ye."** Douglas wasn't the most eloquent of men, but he did feel comfortable in Ellen's company. 

Still, he raised an eyebrow when Ellen insisted that Melville not be at their meeting. "Nae lassie, ye sayed he shuidnae be thair, I ne'er agreed.***" He pointed out, more amused by her attempt to swing things her way than anything else. Why was she so keen to meet with him without Melville present? Douglas thought the other man would surely only add to the discussion, but Ellen seemed to think otherwise. Unless her mind was on something other than business. Which was exactly what he was concerned others might think - or more accurately, the other way around - if they met together. He was accustomed to unwed daughters not being allowed out without at least a chaperone, but clearly Ellen was different. She was a commoner for a start. Perhaps it's a freer life. He mused suddenly.

Was being seen with him a risk, she wanted to know? "Tae yer reputation." He confirmed, his tone nowhere near as playful. "A number o' lairdies hae refused tae be seen wi' me." He said gently, feeling it only fair that he warn her, precisely because he did care for her reputation. "I dinnae think ye need fear jealousy." He'd not taken a lover at court for a while now, and those in whom he'd been interested were committed elsewhere. But the reputation stuck, along with the simple fact of his bastardy. Still, Ellen seemed determined that they should meet, just the two of them, which piqued his curiosity. Perhaps she simply thought that Melville would be a stick in the mud regarding business proposals. Whatever the reason, he would only find out if he agreed. And perhaps Ellen simply had a better handle on Melville's business style. "Alricht, I weel buik the twa o' us a table in the common room o' the Toes fer lunch taemorrer."+ It was a positive thought. He found he enjoyed Ellen's company; she seemed both intelligent and open minded. And she wasn't nearly as plain as rumour made out; he liked her blonde curls. 

The Margrave - and thus Ellen - won the first race and she seemed delighted, as well she might. There were few things as enjoyable as the company of a happy lady. It did however seem like a natural break in the conversation. "Speakin' o' business opportunities in Scotland, I need tae hae a wee word wi' the Duke o' Lauderdale." He said bluntly. It was sitting in the back of his mind and he wanted to get it out of the way. "Wuid ye excuse me fer a few minutes? Melville is jus' thair," he indicated where Duncan was speaking with Frances Cavendish, "an' I weel be back shortly."++ He promised. Not that Ellen seemed afraid of being out on her own.

Subtitles
* "True. The follow of pride isn't reserved for men."
** "You're welcome, and let me return the thanks. There's not many that would confide in me, but I think we share some of the same frustrations. It's... comfortable, speaking with you."
*** "No girl, you said he shouldn't be there, I didn't agree."
+ "To your reputation. A number of ladies have refused to be seen with me. I don't think you need fear jealousy. Alright, I will book the two of us a table in the common room of the Toes for lunch tomorrow." 
++ "Speaking of business opportunities in Scotland, I need to have a little word with the Duke of Lauderdale. Would you excuse me for a few minutes? Melville's just there, and I will be back shortly."

She has a rich inner life, it seems. Not an empty-headed socialite, not at all. Although her two failed engagement must have cut deeply, she has become stronger because of them... Duncan approved of her mettle.

Her comments regarding gossip he did not wholly agree with, but that was because he was mainly a soldier, not a courtier. That did not mean she was wrong, only that their experiences had been different. As for masks...

"Masks are a necessity, especially when sentiments such as grief must be endured in private, even in the most public of settings. His Grace our Merry King would not have it otherwise..." although it was said half-jokingly, it was well known that King Charles II disliked drama of all kinds. A momentary shadow of pain passed over his face, brought about by a memory. "I am sorry to say I am not as good at concealing thought and emotion as I should be, my lady, but I am glad that you are". A Duke's daughter must become very adept at it out of necessity.

"No need for awkwardness, no". The Lowlander smiled as he turned towards Frances, and the smile reached his eyes. "When would you like to go to the shop? Also, if it turns out to have interesting oddities, perhaps a visit to the one in London would also be warranted at some point in the future". Deep inside, Duncan hoped she would agree to that further outing.

There was an almost visible relaxing of the shoulders as Frances agreed to dance with him at the ball. He now had a good reason to attend, and would have to be very observant to be able to discern her identity. And if I am not able to, perhaps she will approach, now that she knows what I will look like.

"Aye, Lady Frances", Duncan said reverting to his Scottish way of thinking for a brief moment. Character is paramount..." For a moment the Viscount wondered who she was referring to when she talked about beautiful faces coupled to inner ugliness.

He was about to respond, when the two yachts came into view. As she placed her hand on his arm, Lord Melville placed his hand on hers to keep her steady. It was not a calculated move, it just came out naturally. Then, as the Margrave triumphed, he turned to her and smiled. "My lady, we find ourselves a few pounds richer..."

He seemed surprised at her assessment of him which was a bit strange - for he WAS all that she had said but then it dawns on her that his feelings had to stem from his birth perhaps?

She knew about it but did not see it as an impediment. How could a child be made to suffer the sins of its parents? That he had suffered she rightly guessed.

"Then it is their loss and you should hold no friendships with those that feel that way. Perhaps tis time for you to expand your circles Captain FitzJames!"

"I  only suggest the two of us because we had decided to formulate a Plan before involving Melville - or did I hear it wrong?"

"If you wish for him to be present then I shall not discourage it."

"Naturally my reputation is something that I will protect and I understand your reasonings. But I am well enough known that nothing has ever attached itself to me."

She could not ignore his worrying and so she sought to reassure.

It was a negative in relation to any 'jealously' that might appear so he said and then once again added in how others' viewed him.

"I am sorry for what you endure. Those of my sex are often misguided and fail to look beyond what has been said or over-heard."

"But I am not like that. I am a good judge of Character and have no time to waste in pointless encounters."

"Does my being so straightforward give you pause? Perhaps you are only used to being around quiet and retiring women then?"

"Let us keep to the meeting tomorrow and Melville shall be offered an invitation and it will be upon to him to come or not."

"Will that appease you?"

She smiled up at him.

It was then that he asked to excuse himself and she nodded in agreement following his gaze to where her brother-in-law stood with Lady Frances Cavendish. Now that was an interesting pairing - he seemed so defeated over the last few days and yet now the face he presented was not. Could he already be thinking of taking another wife    ....... 

"Of course. Please go about your Business and return when you need to. I am well enough here."

"Melville is close enough to come to my aid if needed!"

She teased sending him off and then turning to look back out onto the River. The seeing of Melville with Frances Cavendish had unsettled her a bit. She knew that he would, at some point, need another wife to mother his daughter and give him more children but she had not imagined that he would do that so quickly. It had not even been long since her sister's death and was one not somehow 'obligated' to wait at least a year? That was what she had been schooled to believe but her logical mind eased in and said that by necessity he should remarry soon so that his daughter melded into the new family at her young age   ....... But there was also some feelings of betrayal to her and her Family. Once he took a new wife then his connection to them would be over. Well it already was by her sisters death except the child she had was her very own niece and namesake so what would happen to things then  .....

A frown furrowed her brow and some of her happiness at the day crept away.

"Honestly the Duke does not have to give any 'explanation' about his wife to anyone. Whatever he says will believed at least initially."

"I know them as well. Except for the Margrave. And as you know I am excluded from all of that now so even if it had been possible I would have not gone."

It was said matter of fact for that was how things were. The time for being emotional had long passed.

She had began to look around as well but say no sign of him either.

Anne Elizabeth agreed with the starting plan and so she smiled and locked arms with her friend.

"Since that is the case let us go to the River and watch  .... I think the first Race is done. I wonder who won?"

"And as to whether there is any boldness on either of their parts I would say that Lady Oakham would be the most likely of the two."

"She does not shy away from presenting herself into any situation."

"I would not put it past the Duke to place an eye or two here to 'watch' us however."

"His wife's forays into all this has to have made him need to know what's going on - his man being there at the seance is proof enough."

"But let us for a while forget all of that and enjoy the day!"

"I think a drink of some kind is called for!"

"And besides IF anyone watches then it can be reported back that we are as normal as always."

"Does that make sense?"

John Roaming 

He had stopped for a drink or two and had even exchanged a conversation with some others but he did not over-linger. He had placed no wagers and so did not need to go in that direction. His legs took him of their own accord down to the River where he nudged in a spot to watch. The first Race was won and those that had betted correctly cheered but his face held no emotions. His mind was filled with thoughts and of his conversation with May. He had managed to achieve at least something in that interview and come Sunday would, he hoped, gain introduction to those that might help him. But it was all up to him after that. He was confident but now having first hand knowledge of how things were seen here regarding The Colonies he sees that it might be a hard uphill battle. His resilience was strong and he was tenacious enough to overcome that he thinks.

His eyes wandered and he caught sight of Anne Elizabeth still in the company of that dark haired Lady and they seemed to be quite close. He wondered who she was. They were all smiles and sharing of confidences by all appearances.  His focus was then caught up as the second Race would soon start and it was this one he wanted to watch for the Duke of Cumberland was competing. He KNEW of him as the Duke had extensive personal holding inThe Colonies and was seen as a man who looks with some favor on it or so it was widely believed. He was as May had indicated the person John should appeal to firstly. And someone named Lord Beverly ......  John would have to ask around and find out what he needed to know. If Lord Beverly had the ear of the Duke then he was a person to be cultivated. For it may have to be thru that man that any dealings with the Duke had to happen.

He wonders then if he should have placed a wager on the Duke but it was too late now   ........

Posted (edited)

Douglas leaving Ellen and approaching Lauderdale.

Perhaps Ellen was right, perhaps it was time that Douglas expanded his circles. He'd clung to nobility by his fingernails for so long that he hadn't really looked in the other direction with anything but a scathing eye, which wasn't fair since that was what he bemoaned so many turning on him. But Ellen was bright and vivacious and forthright, and he enjoyed her personality very much. Plus he was now a Baron - a Scottish one yes, which earned him no place in Parliament but somehow the ancient, feudal title suited him. 

He got the impression that Ellen was amused by his concern over her reputation - something he'd learned the hard way he had to consider around noble women. Then she surprised him, be apologising for the hurt he'd been done. That earned her a fond smile. "Tisnae yer fault lassie." He assured her. Of course it wasn't. "I shuid be used tae't by noo. Haps yer richt, I do need tae start movin' in diff'rent circles." After all, what did he have to lose? She called him 'Captain FitzJames', something few used since his being granted his Barony. Oddly it was something he had missed; the military title sat comfortably. "An' I prefer ye bein' straicht-forrard wi' me; please dinnae e'er do otherwise." He asked. A lady who didn't play games with him was refreshing. Melville was definitely onto something. "If ye weel tolerate it, I will do the same."* He promised. Mind you, Douglas was rarely anything other than straight forward.

Ellen seemed quite sure of herself and her ability to handle any possible assault on her reputation. She was strong, he could see that. She didn't need his protection. That threw him a bit, he was accustomed to noble girls who were trained and arranged to be dependent on men, but it reminded him of the girls back home in Scotland. He liked it. "Tell ye whit; I weel let Melville ken that we er meetin', an' wish tae discuss a business proposal wi' him whin we hae dane. If he thinks he shuid be thair, I dinnae doobt he weel show up."** But Duncan likely trusted both of them enough not to. Still, for some reason Douglas felt it was very important to do the right thing by Ellen. 

Yes, she was definitely laughing at him as she sent him off, assuring him that Melville was close enough to come to her aid if needed. Douglas mused that he was going to need to completely recallibrate his thinking around Ellen, she wasn't what he was used to in a lady at all. At least, not a lady at court. If he put a foot wrong with an Aberdeen girl she'd let him know about it. Maybe Ellen would like the attitude of the Scottish women. Would she like to be a Baroness?

It was with such thoughts still on his mind that Douglas approached Lauderdale, who seemed to be watching the boats jockey prior to the start of the second heat. "Guid efternuin Yer Grace." The big Highlander bowed respectfully to the most powerful man in Scotland. "I trust ye backed the Margrave last heat."*** Lauderdale was canny, and knew most courtiers well. Likely he had, assuming he bet. Douglas had noticed that, even when he'd spotted the man earlier, the Duchess hadn't been in evidence. 

Subtitles
* It's not your fault girl. I should be used to it bby now. Perhaps you're right, I do need to start moving in different circles. And I prefer you being straight-forward with me; please don't ever do otherwise. If you will tolerate it, I will do the same."
** "Tell you what; I will let Melville know that we are meeting, and wish to discuss a business proposal with him when we have done. If he thinks he should be there, I don't doubt he will show up."
*** "Good afternoon Your Grace. I trust you backed the Margrave last heat."

Edited by Douglas FitzJames

Lauderdale and Dundarg

John Maitland was standing alone at the race, or so it appeared.  John Murray was often not far away, as the Duke's right-hand man.  Lauderdale had few friends, many enemies, and a host of sycophants north of the border.  More than once he had been the target of assassination, and had been impeached unsuccessfully by Parliament, though forces were conspiring again to have a second try.  Such was the life of a man that ruled with an iron fist.

Ostensively he was watching the yachts race, but his eyes had been trained to watch persons of interest.  This included Douglas FitzJames.  The McBain family, led by Lady Alyth, was an enemy, in theory.  He had been civil to Douglas, helping him become titled and gaining an important office in Aberdeen.  The men in clans were more pragmatic than the women.  His half sister Fiona had tied herself to an assassin, something that would ordinarily require a response; but, she had the favor of the King, even if she appeared to be a silly girl.

He had not made his glance evident as Douglas approached.  One never knew what to expect when the lanky Scot approached.  Would it be deference or defiance. By the greeting, it seemed that it was the former. It was a good sign.

"Good day Dundarg," he replied.  "How are efforts coming on the repair of your castle?"    The Captain was watched whenever in Scotland, just to be safe.

"I confess that I fully expected York to win."  This meant that the prince would likely brood all during the celebrations.

Lauderdale and Dundarg

Douglas recalled their previous conversation at the opening reception, about which he'd felt cautiously positive. He'd made an offer of service which Lauderdale had not refused but rather suggested that he consider the implications and come back to him. The Duke had even offered to engage an Aberdeen architect to draw up plans for Douglas's manor house at Dundarg, at his own expense, which had been unexpected but hardly unwelcome. So it was that Douglas finally realised, after multiple conversations, that when Maitland asked about his castle each time they spoke he wasn't really asking about the uninhabitable ruin last used as a canon emplacement. 

"Weel enou thank ye." He replied, thinking on his efforts with his family - both blood and chosen. "Is Her Grace feelin' any better?"* He asked in turn, recalling that her husband had admitted that Lady Lauderdale had been feeling unwell, explaining her absence from the reception. 

Taking the Duke's cordial greeting as permission to join him, Douglas moved to stand beside Maitland so that he too could ostensibly watch the boats. "The Margrave haes Kingston's crew as weel as His Majesty's boat."** He revealed quietly. That was a powerful combination and tipped the odds in the Margrave's favour. 

Then the big Scotsman lowered his voice further, so that hopefully only Maitland would hear. "I ken we er tae meet on Sunday efter church, but I hope ye weel gie me a few minutes o' yer time." He said respectfully, before getting straight to the point. "Thairs at least one killer at Windsor, haps twa, an' sin ye hae been targetted afore I thocht ye shuid ken."*** No doubt the man took precautions at all times, but the knowledge that there was definitely someone active might make him behave differently. 

Douglas was the King's man, and when in Scotland he acted in the King's interests, and his own. He wasn't a particularly political creature and preferred the more direct approach. It might have amused him to know that Maitland had him closely watched up there; at present he was most dangerous to Maitland standing right where he was now. But it wasn't a death that Douglas was looking for; he was trying to prevent them. 

Subtitles
* "Well enough, thank you. Is Her Grace feeling any better?"
** The Margrace has Kingston's crew as well as His Majesty's boat."
*** "I know we are to meet on Sunday after church, but I hope you will give me a few minutes of your time. There's at least one killer at Windsor, perhaps two, and since you have been targetted before I thought you should know."

Something was very wrong.

She had been looking for him for over an hour going first to that spot already agreed upon and he had not been there. She had then started to move about the shoreline then more inside growing more and more distressed as time passed. There were so many people now that it was almost impossible for her to keep up the pace she was at. She had already had several encounters with strangers and was quick to run after saying some words of apology and so she doubted any would know her identity. She had purposely stayed away from that area where her sister was with the Duchess of York as well. 

But where to go now   ......

Her head began to ache and she was thirsty and wanted very much to have him suddenly appear and take her away as promised.

Oh  ..... Perhaps that is what she should do  ..... go to that place herself and wait for him to find her   ........

Yes that was what she would do. How silly of her to not think of it before now! 

She knew that there was a footpath alongside the River on both sides but the she must take was on this side and once on it would take her North. She paused only to pay for a small tankard of cider unaware that she stood out not only for her being unattended but for her looks and dress. Once done she smiled at the boy who delivered her drink and then was gone.

Comments unheard as she went past and more than a few pairs of male eyes followed and soon she would have a tail that stayed far enough back to go unnoticed.

"Unfortunately, Lady Lauderdale is still feeling poorly," the Duke replied, assuming Douglas was just being polite.  "Thank you for asking." Douglas was correct that the inquiry about the castle had been a different sort of question. 

Douglas had something to reveal about killers at Windsor.  Had the King's man shared the information with the King?

"Windsor seems to attract killings like street whores attract sailors," he muttered.  "I assume this has something to do with me, or you would not raise it now."  The crowd cheered as the next heat was about to be announced.  They could speak freely against the tumult of the crowd.  "Tell me what you know."

Eleanor, Henry, and the Italians

“Thank you as well,” Maria replied. Her jewelry was also made of diamonds, but they were smaller and more delicate than her cousin’s.

Cesare’s lips brushed lightly over Mistress Bayning’s hand. She seemed surprised for some reason. Had no one ever kissed her hand before? He smiled when her gaze met his. He could see the intelligence reflected in her pretty blue eyes and the way she hid a smile behind her fan was charming. Perhaps a bit later, he would ask her to take a stroll with him, if her uncle would allow it.

The gentleman in question greeted Maria first … and in Italian! She offered him her hand with a playful smile. “Incantato di incontrarti.*” Though Lord Grey was neither handsome nor young, he was more attractive and not as old as her late husband, and there was something about him that appealed to her in a way she couldn’t quite put her finger on.

Si, Cesare replied to Lord Grey’s question. “My late grandfather was once the Duke of Modena.”

“Mistress Bayning, you didn’t told me your uncle spoke such excellent Italian!” Maria grinned at her friend. To Lord Grey: “Murano glass is indeed the best, used for everything from telescope lenses to jewelry and other embellishments.”

“I use it often myself,” Cesare chimed in. “And you’re also right about the opera. I’ve traveled extensively and no country on the Continent even comes close. The German variant is particularly awful.”

"That's because you don't understand a word they sing."

Cesare glared at his cousin.  "The language itself is too coarse for the elegance and intricacies of opera."

Lord Grey dusted off Maria’s fan before handing it to her. “Thank you for taking such good care of it, my lord. It is one of my favorites and I feared I had lost it forever.”

He asked them if they were enjoying the yacht race. “In truth, I enjoy the social aspects rather than the races themselves, but my cousin is an avid racer and has his own yacht.”

“It is not nearly as grand as these are, though,” Cesare added. As the first two raced across the river, he turned to watch them.

“Are either of you acquainted with the gentleman who are participating?” Maria asked.

*Enchanted to meet you.

Sarah and Chatham

Perhaps you could introduce me once you do. I am sure that it would prove a most instructive meeting...

In truth, at this point Charles was not quite sure that there was such a thing as a 'real him,' though if such a creature did exist then his opinion was that its nature was a strange and cruel one.

But those were thoughts one did not share with even one's closest intimates, not even in the greatest of privacy, and so he tucked them away in the corners of his mind.

"Friendship I take seriously," Charles said simply, "and, 'Dark Lord' or no, I do not play my friends."

He grinned, answering her teasing in kind now that the more serious side had been acknowledged.

"Well, save in good fun."

He nodded at her offer to allow him to group his winnings too, and looked downriver to see if there was any sign of the second race getting underway.

"Do we know how long there is between races?" he asked.

Trumpets blared and the royal herald announced the next race.

"Ladies and gentlemen, the Duke of Buckingham shall race against Lord Camberwell, who has taken over Lord Kingston's yacht, as he was called to join His Majesty!"

Murmurs went through the crowd as few people had ever heard of Lord Camberwell.  Only a select few knew her to be Buckingham's sister who enjoyed dressing as a male.  They were paired for a reason, as the King knew one would be exultant and the other would fit to be tied, as the saying went. Most of the populace assumed that Camberwell was related to Kingston somehow.

"Place your wagers.  The race will begin in ten minutes."

“I think that’s an excellent idea.” Margaret would be eager to impress Lady Lucas after their disastrous first meeting, and she wouldn’t have her mother to rely on. The Duchess was a bit worried that she would misbehave again, but her middle daughter she was clever and knew she still had to prove herself.

“A drive through the park is fine with me. And if you’d like, you can ask her yourself.” In the distance, she could see Margaret and Catherine still standing on the riverbank, engaged in conversation as they waited for the next race to begin.

She nodded as the other lady spoke of her son. Lady Newcastle was well aware that young gentlemen rarely confided in or consulted their mothers. A Baronet was able to choose his own wife and did not have to abide by his parents’ wishes. She imagined that Lady Lucas became frustrated with him at times. “He is still young. Some gentlemen don’t marry until well into their thirties. He will find eventually find the lady he wants to spend the rest of his life with. There are a lot of new faces at court this season.”

The Duchess was glad that her own son was already betrothed and had not protested the arrangement. He should consider himself lucky to marry such a wealthy heiress.

Catherine saw them approaching and nudged Margaret in the ribs. The older of the two turned toward them with a genuine smile and a pretty curtsy. “It is a pleasure to see you again, Lady Lucas. I hope you are enjoying the races.”

The younger curtsied too. Mischief danced in her eyes. “Lady Lucas, this is my daughter, Lady Catherine,” the Duchess said. “She’s thirteen and won’t be debuting for a few more years.”

“I’m honored to meet you, my lady,” Catherine said.

Duncan and Frances 

She laid a hand gently on his arm and her words were quietly spoken.

"You must not feel the need to apologize at all Lord Melville. Not to me at least."

"I see how you grieve still and that is most admirable. It is clear that you loved your wife."

"And I am no expert either at concealing mine. But I have learned thru the years how to better that."

He agreed with her regarding not having any awkwardness moving forward and she smiled as she accepted his offer.

"Well shall we plan for a day next week   .... the next few are rather taken up are they not - A masque and a Christening leave little time for anything else."

"You may send me a note to tell me what suits if you wish."

He seemed to not have expected her to agree to a dance which gave her pause.

Maybe it brings to many memories of his late wife? It was a possibility and so she resolves to see how he is behaving once that time arrives.

It seemed they both found the importance of Character required for building foundations.

Further conversation was interrupted as the first Race was finished.

"Indeed we do Lord Melville! I must thank you for your wisdom in wagering!"

His hand on hers brought a faint blush to her cheeks and her heart did a little 'jump' at his touch.

Dare she allow her thoughts to have free reign   ....

Sarah and Chatham 

"Then I am reassured that you shall be as you have just said."

"But do not become too serious ...... sprinkle some lightness as well!"

He accepted her offer and then asked about the next Race

"I do not know but I would think that boats must be maneuvered would they not?'

Then came an announcement regarding the next Race.

"Did I mishear?" She asked him. "Was the second Race not between Cumberland and Camberwell - whoever he may be?"

"Now it is to be Buckingham who races  ...."

"And what about the King  .... has he dropped out then or will He race against Cumberland?"

She turned to look at him

"Is there some mischief afoot here?"

"And people may wager? Does not betting close once the Races start?"

"But of more import what about OUR wagers and winnings  ....."

He was to be treated to yet another side of her personality.

Anne-Elisabeth had forgotten that Davina had lost her position with the Queen and been tossed in the Tower. “I’m sorry,” she said sincerely. “I should not have suggested that we ride on the yachts.” Most of the participants were royal or high in rank and might still hold against Davina whatever she had been accused of. Maybe I can help her regain their favor somehow. Her innocence must have been proved or she would still be imprisoned.

She, too, looked toward the two yachts that had crossed the finish line. “I’m not sure.” The Countess didn’t really care who won, as she had made no wagers. She was quite positive that the King would win the last race. What gentleman would dare defeat him?

Davina looped her arm through Anne-Elisabeth’s and she smiled back as they began to stroll.  She remembered their conversation after the séance. They were truly as close as sisters and she believed they would always have each other’s back. At the moment, though, they didn’t seem to be in any danger.

“I think they will avoid us and only speak to us if it would be rude not to.” The young Countess shrugged. “The two of us and the two of them are enemies now, I suppose. They probably think we’re cowards for running away. I think they're fools for staying.”

Her eyes widened at Davina’s statement. “Do you really think the Duke knows we were there?” Her eyes roamed over the crowd, as if looking for a spy. Returning her gaze to her friend, she grinned mischievously. “If I see somebody staring at us, I’ll wave.”

Anne-Elisabeth nodded. “I agree. Let’s not think of that today and just have fun. Your idea makes perfect sense. If somebody is observing us, we don’t want to act suspicious. And yes, let’s find ourselves something to drink.”

Frances and Duncan

Duncan did not feel the need to hide his feelings from Lady Frances, so for a brief moment he allowed his grief to hit him with full force. As a tear threatened to flow down unrestrained, the Viscount removed a white cotton handkerchief from an inner coat pocket and dabbed his eye lightly. “I grew to love her so much, Lady Frances, and now I feel so empty”. For the briefest of moments his face contorted in pain. “I know that life goes on, but at first all I could do was to go through the motions of life without truly feeling alive. Thanks to a good friend I am now much better, but once in a while sadness hits me like a brick…” he was about to continue, when he realized that his words were probably not the best for their budding friendship. “And here I am, marring your enjoyment of the event with my sadness. I am sorry…” he was.

”Your company is quite comforting, my lady, and you have my thanks for it”. A thin, grateful smile. “But do let me know if I am being too gloomy. I will withdraw if it is so”. The Lowlander hope she would not ask him to, but he would, if she did.

The Margrave had won, and York would grumble for some time, Duncan was certain. “I am less certain about the next match. Although Prince Rupert is quite the navigator, I do not know who Lord Camberwell is. But we had a great start. Even if we do not win this one, the King ought to win the next, and we should be ahead”.

For all his melancholy, the Viscount had not withdrawn his hand from Frances’.