JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

CURRENT PLAYERS ASK ALL YOUR GAME QUESTIONS HERE!

Charles Rex

If you are a current player on our game, please ask all your questions here and someone will be along to answer them as soon as they are available OR if you don't know which mod a question pertains to, please post it here and whomever is responsible will get back to you. This way, we hopefully won't have to answer the same questions over and over!

HELP there's no location for _____________ !

We are a moderated game and as such there are only so many playable locations and NPCs each season. We generally only write location posts before seasons begin, and we generally will not write any during a current season unless it is for a mod-written, mod-directed plot. We cannot write NPCs for 100 locations so we focus on those that have individual interest to us and players need to play within established locations. The moderation team has limited resources and time to construct things OOC for the game, and we are all here to write and have fun. The mods would also like to have the time to write their NPCs and (more importantly) their own PCs. If you would like to request a location for next season, please do so when we announce that a season will be ending soon - that is when we are constructing things. Other than that, everyone needs to play within the established game locations, and if there isn't one that means that location is not a playable location. 

There are a few exceptions, like for the houses of NPCs, that we generally don't describe until we need them (so that we don't overclutter the boards with things that will never have a post). 

Also - the reason we have a condensed list of playable locations was decided very early on in AoI creation history - it's something called the Simpson effect. It’s a principle that one of our early game designers [Fluff] was a big proponent of!  And here is the main reason why:

We want PC's and NPC's to have limited locations they are posting in so as to increase the odds that players stories will cross over to mix and mingle. More Locations would actually mean diluting the game (and PC interactions).  We don’t want to do that! In fact, during the Recesses, mods regularely review Guidebooks and cull seldom-used-locations to condense our game even more!

😄 

~ my two cents

• Defiance pinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...

The subject of getting lessons came up in a PM, and I decided my reply might be useful knowledge for others also:

Lessons:

I'd just ask the mods ooc if you are able to find a tutor, and do the thing where you block out a morning IC each week to account for the lesson. That way you dont need to find a mod who is interested in writing lessons IC (as I dont think anyone is, so you'd be hard pressed!) lol  But you can still make some progress with [insert topic] that way. 

Note AoI references realism re:gaining new skills, and it will not be a speedy path - time spent practising IC does show dedication though!   Dedicated students could possibly check each recess on how their learning is progressing. Note that Players cant automaticlly assume progress for their PC, though of course your character is free to think they are fan-blody-tastic at everything they touch!  lol 

• 2 weeks later...

Is it OK to have an unknown carriage's horse get spooked, swerve to the left, and get the carriage entangled with Henry's? Seeking a way to delay Henry and Cordelia on their thread so they miss her appointment (Cordelia is OK with this). I don't recall having done something like this in the past, so I need guidance on how creative I can be.

Thanks!

I too have a question for our mods. One of Caroline's plots for the year is to find out more about the necklace of her mother's and right now a first step is to check out jewelers in London. Gallant Lord Audley has volunteered to accompany her. But post mechanics how do I do that? Can I just make up a shop and even then where do I place it? In which forum?

Or will an admin handle such details?

Thank you for any help you can provide!

Horses: as long as it doesn't give your PC an advantage (which would need to be mod approved prior) just don't give names to the people in the other carriage. If you want named npcs in there, you'd need a mod. 

Jewellers: No please, don't create new loc posts.  I run a Jewish jewelers you could find, though he's not the easiest to find IC. Actually Lord Grey has a thread with him right now. Use the sites search tool to check if there have been any others also defined*.   I have a vague feeling there was one within that prominent merchant family (names on lots of shops in the guidebook) 

* Some locs are no longer in the guidebook, but still playable if needed. 

Sharing these questions and answers re an event for everyone's knowledge/reference 

1) Do I post it in the forum for parties or just put it in the palace?

REPLY: I'd post in the parties/events forum if it was mine, but put it in usual forums if you prefer. 

(2) This one is for Marie:  Staggins offered to provide musicians for ambiance as people arrive.  Is it okay if I include them in the opening post, playing in the background?

REPLY: Yep, his saying that about ambience music makes it mod approved  do like Francis in those situations and add in a ooc note saying words to that effect with the link. Makes it all sanctioned looking, and tidy.

• 4 weeks later...

The House of Lords

As he is wont to do Henry Grey’s player sent me to Google to research seating in the House of Lords which raised a few questions. Previously (when we used bear skins and stone knives instead of computers) we sat where ever we wanted usually near patrons or political allies and sort of divvied ourselves into Court and Country sides. This is not a complaint as i love this stuff.

The House of Lords Precedence Act of 1539 (or ‘An Acte for the placing of the Lordes in the Parliament’ to be snooty)gives rather vauge instructions. To summarize the officers of State sit “on the lyfte side of the Parliament Chamber on the higher parte of the fourme of the same side, above the Dukes.” For the general nobility “And it is also ordeyned and enacted by authoritie aforesaid that all Dukes not afore mencioned, marquesses, Earles, Vicounts and Barons not havinge anye of the offices aforesaid shall sytt and be placed after ther Auncients as it hathe been accustomed.”

The above does not give a lot of guidance other than we needn’t spell check our posts. Are we free to sit anywhere we please like a bunch of hippies?

Additionally, older paintings of the Lords have the members in their scarlet robes. Should we peers be required to wear robes for regular sessions? We never did before but who doesn’t like to wear ermine lined frocks?

I ask for a ruling from The Hye Adyministrators of the Role Playe as to the conducte of yea Players.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the blurb in the HoL explaining the domestic situation. My question is, What, briefly, is the political situation for the war? Is it based on a historical war or AU. Is it a a manufactured war to gain financing or an active war? If active who are the belligerents and who are England’s allies and is there an opportunity to RP funding subsidies for our allies?

I am asking so my character has the info to propose issues and make informed decisions.

There was a similar war, but our reasons for it are all AU and how it will end is as yet to be seen. It is with the Dutch against the French. It is because the French attempted to assassinate the King, and I do believe you were here for that part. It happened at the Flotilla after the Wedding. Tensions have been escalating since. 

Anything else you would have to discover IC ;)  A very small number of PCs and NPCs know a decent portion. And another portion nobody has discovered yet.