JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

The Christmas Ball (25/12 Evening)- Xmas 1677

Blackguard

Davina and her Brother

She watched as her brother as well as two other gentlemen approached where she had stationed herself. Introductions were made.

"Ambassador." She extended her hand to the older man first with a small curtsey and then did the same to the younger her eyes apprasing. She had imagined most people there to be fair and blonde yet here was one with dark hair!

"You arrive at a most unusual Christmas Court Gentlemen" She smiled at them both.

"You will see once thru the doors and I think tis the work of the 'Lord of Misrule' even thou He has not been chosen officially."

She looked to her brother asking

"Unless you have heard of it? Or is it You?" She teased.

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nicci and Louis

"Madam, I am never easy he protested with a grin. As for secreting a handkerchief on the King, Louis was enthusiastic. "Yes, that would be fun. Beware the Lifeguard who might think you an assassin," he all but snickered. "But yes, I shall have fun, if you insist. I might even be sociable with a social inferior, just to be charitable."

"Did you say Mall, or dance with them all," he asked in jest. The later is easy enough if there were but a hundred dances." Seeing more arrivals, he attempted to shoo her on her way. She was a social butterfly and she needed to flutter about. The Duke and Ernle were reasonable targets. "Try someone new -- someone powerful," he suggested. There were only so many dances.

"And try some cakes and see if you can find the brass ring. Lord help Whitehall if you were to become the Lady of Misrule," he laughed.

Heather, Charles and Ambrose

"Grand," came the reply to her report. "You look so well."

The smile faltered as Heather kissed him. Fortunately it was an innocent kiss. Who knew what the Duke of York might think of his kissing his other mistress. Looking above his head Charles spied the mistletoe and began to laugh. That explained it. "Yes, Merry Christmas."

Was this the time to broach his relationship? That question was answered for him with the arrival of Ambrose. Now they would need to engage in polite banter. "Ah Lieutenant, I see you already know the Countess." Heather's whisper made him laugh. What lady did not want gentlemen dueling over her?

"Yes, a pleasure to meet you at last Turnbull. This shall be a merry season in London, so your timing is good." He expected they would chat about more official things later.

"Speaking of good timing, you have caught the Countess under a sprig of mistletoe." He laughed hoping that Heather would not be upset with him. Perhaps she wanted him to go to great lengths, such as what he suggested, to gain a kiss.

With cup in hand, Cat turned to survey the crowd. It seemed they had arrived back in town just in time as it seemed most everyone who was anyone, save the royals, were in attendance. With the passing of her 20th birthday last month, the Scot had decided that her family was settled enough that she didn't (and probably for her mental health, shouldn't) focus solely on them any more. Which she admitted she had done in her grief following losing her husband at sea 18 months ago. Now it was time to have some fun. She was only 20, after all. So, after a sip of punch, she opted for the cakes table and the scattering of Merry Gang members.

With a certain lightness to her walk that hadn't been present during the last year, she walked over to Rochester, a smile on her lips and a devilish look in her eyes. "My dear Lord Rochester, I had no idea you had such a sweet tooth. If I had but known, perhaps I could have tempted you with something other than my sister and you would have shown up for dinner," she said before picking up a bite of cake for herself, slowly slipping the bite between her lips before closing her eyes to savor the confection. A small moan could be heard as she tasted the cake. It was good, but she was certain she could do better.

“The Viscountess of Lochend.”

Fiona smiled smugly as the herald announced her. Dougie had once told her that she should always be introduced by her title, and a ball seemed like a good place to start. Her smile broadened when she was told that the ladies were to ask the gentlemen to dance. This was going to be an interesting night, indeed. There were two gentlemen she knew she wanted to dance with … the intriguing Lord Langdon, who had anonymously sent her a pair of ruby earrings at her request, and that enigmatic composer she had met last spring. There was unfinished business between them, and she hoped that he had forgotten that she had thrown wine in his face at their last meeting.

As she flounced into the room, her crimson skirts swirled around her. Fiona had chosen the color not because it was Christmas, but because it went with Lord Langdon's ruby earrings. It was as low-cut as she was able to get away with under Cat's supervision … which meant it was rather modest … but it did show a fair amount of cleavage. It was embroidered with tiny gold beads in a floral pattern and trimmed with crimson lace and golden braid. A golden sash was tied around her tiny waist and golden ribbons adorned her auburn hair.

Looking around for people she knew, she saw Douglas conversing with a pair of Duchesses. A fond smile curved her lips. Her half-brother had always been ambitious. Cat was speaking to some gentleman she didn't know. Fiona spotted Lord Langdon conversing with Lady O'Roarke and a handsome soldier she had never seen before. Maybe she would ask him to dance too. She thought about joining them, but she would rather catch Lord Langdon by himself. The composer was nowhere in sight. She did hope that he hadn't left court.

Glancing around her once more, she noted the places where the mistletoe hung so that she could strategically position herself under one when a handsome young gentleman walked by.

“His Excellency, Esteban de la Cerda, Baron of Toledo and Ambassador from Spain and his lady wife Sophia, Baroness of Toledo.”

“Impressive.” Sophia smiled up at her husband as they were announced. “We both sound so important.” She held lightly to his arm as they entered the Hall, as if nothing at all was amiss. It was imperative that they present a united front tonight of all nights and look like the contented married couple they pretended to be. The petite Baroness assumed that they would part soon enough.

Her choice of dress tonight was impressive as well. Made of cloth of silver and embroidered all over with raised silver embroidery, it glittered brightly with every move she made. The gown had been a gift from an admirer in Venice and it was made for special occasions. Anna had updated the style, but it still retained some of its Italian charm. The low-cut bodice had been trimmed with snow white fur which framed her ample cleavage and made it look more modest than it actually was. After last night, Sophia didn't want to wear anything too revealing.

Below the fur was a row of burgundy fabric roses, each with iridescent glass beads clustered in its center. The gown sat low on her shoulders, revealing the creamy skin of her shoulders and the long sleeves were puffed twice above her elbow, but were straight below, ending in cuffs of soft white fur. Each puff was trimmed at the gathers with rows of burgundy fabric roses with beaded centers. The bodice hugged her figure, accentuating her slender waist and coming to an elongated point below it. The bottom of the bodice was also adorned with white fur and burgundy roses.

The full skirt needed no embellishments. The fabric was sumptuous enough to stand on its own. Split into an inverted 'v' the sides and hem were also trimmed with white fur and burgundy roses. Her underskirt was of burgundy silk, liberally sprinkled with iridescent glass beads and hemmed with a band of silver silk. Around her neck she wore a ruby and diamond necklace and matching earrings. Her hair was arranged in its usual tumble of curls, woven through with silver ribbons and burgundy fabric roses.

“Since ladies are to ask the gentlemen to dance, all you have to do is point me in the direction of the gentlemen you wish me to dance with, and I shall do the rest.” If she did find out any useful information tonight, it might redeem herself in Esteban's eyes. It was possible that her performance in last night's opera might make her more popular as a dance partner, but she also knew that she might be turned down once or twice.

Unlike English ladies, she was not a bit shy about taking the initiative, and she had asked gentlemen to dance many times, even her beloved Juan. Sometimes she wondered if her saucy boldness had been part of the reason he had been drawn to her. She still considered that decision to be one of the best she had ever made.

So Ambrose's loosing streak continued, as the object of his fancy did not reply but instead told his senior officer of his earlier loss. "Touche." he put hand to his heart. Ouch. So apparently he'd misunderstood her parting remark yesterday, or did she just want to make it even more difficult for him?

"He pulled a 'street' move on me," the Lieutenant explained to Charles, wanting to recover his position in Langdon's eyes, "of neither the Italian or Spanish schools we practice at the arena."

Perhaps his mistake with the lady tonight had been interrupting? Whatever the gaff he was blind to it -- while the mistletoe above cheerily mocked the unpolished Lieutenant.

"Still a win is a win, and Chatham and I are planning to spar again. All is fair in love and battle, eh what?" he looked back to Heather in cursed timing, synchronized precisely with Charles mention of the mistletoe. Turnbull's eyes lifted to the garland-trap with a frown. If he'd learnt anything, it was not to take kisses without an invitation. "Aha." he made a stifled noise and looked back to the Major, "The Countess is not compelled."

Nicci and Louis

Nicolette leaned a little closer and whispered, "This I know." and grinned. Louis was surely aware that he was high on the list of gentlemen Nicolette fancied, and that he'd been anything but easy to get, in fact he was quite the tease letting her try all those times. La, his ego probably loved it!

"Ha, then you might dance with me even?" she teased him as he made jests about 'social inferiors'. It was a tease that developed into a threat. "Be warned I shall come and get you, if I see you wallowing with politics tonight." well, she would be prudent of course. She knew better than to take him away from anyone truly important.

"Buckingham's sister." well he was just being silly now. Perhaps she did not need to worry that he'd do little but watch that evening - perhaps she'd not need to bring him people, dropping them at his feet to entertain him?

Sipping her brandy, her eyes slid around the gathering, wondering who she might select. Louis suggested someone new, someone powerful. It never hurt a lady to have eggs in more than one basket, his advice made good sense.

"Misrule? I heard them say this, what does it mean?" but for now Nicci did not seem to be in a huge hurry to leave her handsome cousins side. Her eyes fell upon Francis, and she watched him navigate through the crowd - likely he was looking for someone new also. She did not expect to dance with him, she and he were already 'locked in', so to speak. Still, she watched him.

"Cumberland?" in a whisper she suggested the Prince of the Rhine to Louis. Did he approve?

"The Right Honourable Charles Audley, Earl of Chatham."

Charles was still new enough to his title to internally thrill at being announced so. It was a rather satisfying feeling and he graced the herald with a smile as he strode in. The format of the ball was intriguing, and not one he had encountered before. For a moment, he wondered if he would dance at all, before he remembered who he was. There were many women who would find his... distinctive features interesting and that, in his experience, was better than merely being handsome.

The world is full of pretty men, after all. Hawkish cyclopes are rather thinner on the ground.

Having not abandoned his senses, he had abandoned his uniform. He now wore a frock coat of stark, bold carmine, with gold lapels and cuffs. His waistcoat and breeches were damasked sable, decorated liberally with gold embroidery. The latter, like those he had worn to the opera, were of a tighter fit than was usual, the better to emphasise his legs. Stockings, cravat and eye patch were matched to his frock coat and a golden sash was tied at his waist, matching the golden ribbons tied at his elbows, knees and just above the buckles of his red-heeled court shoes. His hair had been freed from its queue and curled, falling in waves about his shoulders. He had kept his jewellery discreet- no rings, merely a single gold cravat pin, bearing a black pearl. On Wodehouse's advisement, he had opted for a cinnamon scent, rather than his traditional sandalwood and citrus.

Charles paused a little way into the hall and looked about, getting the lie of the land. He barely choked back laughter at the incredibly lifelike ice-sculpture of the Queen.

Fully as warm as the real thing, and likely a more active bed partner to boot, if half what I've heard is true.

Charles disguised his amusement with a cough and continued his sweep, catching sight of Lady O'Roarke and Lieutenant Turnbull in conversation with a man he didn't know. Both men wore their uniforms. Charles winced.

Oh dear.

Briefly, he debated rescuing the Countess but decided against it. It would not do to queer the Lieutenant's pitch, after all. No, before he began campaigning, Charles needed to provision. Mind made up, he set a course for the punch.

Douglas

Elisabeth might well have been the smarter one. Frances Stuart was never known for her intelligence. Maitland preferred to observe before speaking.

In response to Douglas' question, she paused to collect her thoughts. Though no great admirer of the McBain clan, she knew better than to insult a mistress to the King or a Captain in the Life Guard.

"I suppose it depends," she began. "It depends what one wishes to accomplish. To blend in suggests that one has something to hide. To stand out suggests one has something of a need. To do neither suggests that one prefers the broadest array of possibilities I think." Her accent was not heavy, though her makeup was. Her own gown was a deep shade of green with golden ivy brocade. She gave Douglas an inquisitive smile. How might he respond?

Davina

"What is so unusual about this season my lady?" the Danish Ambassador asked after kissing Davina's hand in greeting. "And what is this Lord of Misrule?" It was clearly not a Danish custom. The Dutch Ambassador knew something of it, but it was not his place to respond.

"It is not me," Richard replied quickly before ascertaining that his sister was teasing. It was then that the herald announced the four.

Catriona

The holiday resolution to think less about protecting her siblings was short lived. Her first comment of the ball was in defense of her sister.

"Lady Alyth," tittered Rochester. "A Merry Christmas to you and your kin." He looked up to note the mistletoe hanging above the table, supplying an inviting grin. "Merely sampling the pastries," he claimed. "I intend to sample other things this evening."

"Ah yes, you needn't thank me for not attending the dinner. The very worst thing I could have done for you was to appear and give your sister the wrong impression. I daresay that you can find no one more unsuitable than myself at court for any sort of relationship. Look at Dorset here. We have been friends a decade and look how he wisely ignores me." Rochester tittered again as he looked at Dorset, who continued to pointedly ignore him, not even doing Johnny the favor of a quip. In fact, Sackville was looking another direction while smiling at the absurdity of the Earl of Rochester.

Catriona's piece of cake did not contain the brass ring.

Sophia

Esteban was not in a very good mood. Once he was announced and under the scrutiny of others, however, his sullen expression gave way to a faux pleased exterior. "There is Sunderland over there," he noted quietly to his wife. "We should not move to him immediately, but look for an opening. Who do you see here that you know?"

Catriona and Rochester

Cat quirked an eyebrow at Rochester's twitter and then laughed at his response. "If you didn't, I would be worried there was an imposter in our mist," she replied with a wink. She looked up at the mistletoe with a smirk, but made no move to kiss the Earl.

She hadn't so much been defending her family as she was reminding him that she had a right to be upset with him, though she wasn't. It had been just a wild idea, born in a moment of exhaustion. "I think Dorset has had enough with marriage for the time being," she said, glancing over at the man who was studiously ignoring his friend. "Besides, it takes a special kind of man to take on a Scot." She shrugged when she finished her cake and found nothing inside.

Looking around, she noticed more familiar faces, but she noted one she wasn't familiar with. It was hard to miss a man in carmine wearing an eye patch. Obviously, he wasn't self-conscious about the patch or he would wear a more understated color (Charles A). She debated on trying another piece of cake, then decided against it. She was just starting to fit back into her pre-baby clothing. As it was, her breasts were fighting the confines of her bodice. "But let us forget such a dour subject as marriage and enjoy this happy season. I understand that it is ladies's choice this evening?"

The Toledos

Sophia could understand Esteban's sullenness. This was their first public appearance since last night's opera, and he would be wary about how they were received. She had hoped her playful comments would cheer him, but with the practiced eyes of an actress, she could tell that his happiness was feigned. That he was not a very good actor might actually work in her favor. The gentlemen she targeted might try to cheer her up if she appeared lonely and abandoned.

Her gaze followed her husband's over to Sunderland, who was conversing with several people, including a gentleman with olive skin who could possibly be Spanish. “Do you plan to introduce me to him or would you like me to make his acquaintance on my own?”

Her gaze traveled around the room, alighting on one group after another. “You know that I am acquainted with the Earl of Arundel. I do not know the gentleman he is speaking to at the moment, though. I met the Duke of Newcastle and his son at the race in Brighton. Remember? You met me there afterward and we walked on the beach.” It had been their first real conversation and they had spoken mainly of marriage. “Lord Newcastle won the race and a kiss from the ladies. I kissed him chastely on the cheek. I do not know if he remembers me.”

She noticed Lord Dundarg at a refreshment table with the Duchess of Richmond and a lady she didn't recognize. “I met the Duchess of Richmond at church one Sunday, but we didn't speak much.” Sophia said nothing about Douglas. She knew how Esteban felt about him.

Spotting Nicolette with her cousin, she smiled. “I am friends with Mademoiselle Vauquelin. I do not know Lord Basildon well I attended one of his parties.” She looked around for others she knew. “Mistress Wellsley is my friend as well. She is a lady-in-waiting to the Queen. I also count Lady Alyth and Lady O'Roarke among my friends.” Sophia wasn't certain how her husband would react to her friendship with the two Countesses as they were both known libertines and mistresses to royalty. Yet they were also well-respected in court circles and she looked up and admired both of them.

“Other people I know might be here too. I am too small to see well in a crowd. Is there anyone in particular you would like me to get to know, even if they have not yet arrived? I might be acquainted with them already, and if not, I can get a friend to introduce me or just casually bump into them.”

Chatham, catching sight of the Toledos

Charles had settled himself alongside the punch bowl and, glass in hand, was amusing himself by guessing at the besetting sin of the other guests.

Avarice, gluttony, surfeit of pride, sodomy, vanity...

He caught sight of his own reflection in his glass and smiled.

All of them, and all the better for it.

He returned to his game and saw the Spanish ambassador and his wife. Without making any conscious decision, he dashed back his punch, laid the empty glass down and strode off to intercept them. He had missed his opportunity to pay his compliments to the fair Diana at the opera and he'd be damned if he'd let another slip by.

Though bringing yourself to the attention of the Spanish Ambassador is a terrible idea. If that Garda Costa captain made mention, as he surely must have done, of a one-eyed Englishman, black of hair and blue of eye and of gentle breeding...

Bah, don't be such an old woman. That happened in the Carib, and word may not have filtered back across the Atlantic. No, if he has heard of you, it'll be to do with your time in Spain, which was brief and relatively without blemish, albeit by your own, less than exalted, standards.

Then he was upon them and there was no time for further doubt or debate.

"Your excellencies," Charles swept an elegant bow, "Charles Audley, earl of Chatham, at your service." He waited impatiently through the pleasantries.

"Do pardon the intrusion, I beg, but I was compelled to approach." He turned to Sophia. " You, my lady, have quite the most magnificent voice I have ever had the pleasure to hear perform, entirely unsurpassed by anything I ever heard in Italy." He nodded firmly to emphasise the point.

Douglas and the Duchesses

There was a marked difference in Elizabeth's manner, as opposed to Frances'. The latter seemed almost to speak first and think later - though she was known for her wit that half of that was the art of the quick response - whereas Maitland gave careful thought before reply.

And her reply was an interesting one, with a ring of truth to it. He had a need, a need to be validated and acknowledged as worthy, but at least he knew it. Glancing at Frances' flashy silver dress, he wondered what her need was. To be noticed, probably.

Maitland on the other hand was dressed in Christmas colours, neither overt nor demure, simply being. Not a young lady, nor particularly beautiful, the heavy make-up perhaps attempting to compensate for both. Does that count as hiding or standing out? He wondered.

"I think ony wha kin do aw three at will haulds a pooerfu' tool."* He observed dryly, for surely there were times when one might wish to do any of the three. Those who could accomplish it likely understood much about human nature.

But the implications individually? Douglas considered. "I wuid sae that thaim that do neither er confident an' comfortable in thaimsel's." He suggested; he'd put Maitland in that category. "Thaim that stand oot er verra-, e'en o'er- confident, er wish tae seem that wa'." He'd own that. "Thaim that blend in lack confidence, er seek tae hide a part they hae an' wish others wuidnae notice."**

He turned his conflower gaze back to Frances. "Whit wuid ye say, Yer Grace?" He asked, interested. "Yer kent fer yer observation o' folk."*** Maitland wasn't, but Douglas suspected that was because she kept her observations to herself.

Subtitles

* "I think any who can do all three at will holds a powerful tool."

** "I would say that those that do neither are confident and comfortable in themselves. Those that stand out are very-, even over-confident, or wish to seem that way. Those that blend in lack confidence, or seek to hide a part they have and wish others wouldn't notice."

*** "What would you say, Your Grace? You're known for you observations of people."

Nicci and Louis

She could rest assured that his ego did enjoy the tease, and why not? Enticing any quality female attention was a validation of the high opinion of himself.

"Of course I would dance with you; but, you would likely waste a dance on me ... unless you thought to gain further popularity by having the most handsome and finest dancing lord as your dance partner." He was teasing again, notwithstanding the fact that he believed he had accurately described himself. Her threat about politics caused his sly smile to widen. "I shall try," he pledged. He had come for fun; but, if an opportune moment arose to gain some political advantage, he would take it.

"The Lord of Misrule is an English tradition. Usually, on a country estate, a commoner is chosen to become master of ceremonies for Christmas. He gets to command his social betters to do random things. Here at court, a gentleman, or I suppose a lady this year, will become the Lord or Lady of Misrule for the twelve days of Christmas and command even the King to do his bidding. Obviously, this would be limited to entertaining tasks, like kissing the most beautiful lady in the ballroom ... which would be you of course. It is all in good fun and can result in silliness." It was obvious from her cousin's smile that he was recalling a memorable Christmas or two.

As for Cumberland, he found himself nodding slowly. "He is rather taken with the actress Margaret Hughes, but it is just a dance." He looked elsewhere in the crowd. He supposed she could ask the Lord Chancellor, but Finch was already an ally. "Most any duke will do," he laughed. "Dancing with dukes brings with it a certain favorable notoriety. Rupert would be an excellent choice." She was already going to ask Buckingham. Rupert would be a nice compliment. There were not many other dukes unless she wanted a Howard, Monck or Cavendish. "Lucy's husband does not count," he added hastily. Ordinarily, dancing with the Duke of Somerset would be a coup for a lady; but, since he was kin by marriage, the court might discount the benefit to Nicolette.

Nicci and Louis

"Waste a dance?" Nicolette's eyes sparkled with amusement as she postured, tipping head and pursing lips, tapping her finger to them as she drew the thought out, "hmm... we'll perhaps instead you promise to dance with me at home?" The game of flirtation between them might never grow old.

The brunette came to nod slowly, her smile broadening as she heard, "I want to be the Mistress of Misrule then. I could command all the queens ladies to hop on one foot. I could summon the Kings Merry gang to serenade me in the morning. I could appoint Ladies O'Roarke and Kendishall to be my deputies, and... oh so many things could be done!" Eating cake took a priority as never before, and she laughed of it - motioning Louis to walk with her to the tables of food.

"Ah, but you have been Lord of Misrule before hmm?" she asked, prompted by the knowing smile upon his face. He was remembering something, and she wanted to know what.

Claiming a piece of cake, she sought a cake fork with which to eat it. "Actresses are so yesterday." and she winked. "...did I mention I met Nell?" spying the forks she collected two, passing one to her cousin. Naturally he had to eat cake too, two mouths were better than one.

"Cumberland, he is stuffy, yes?" she said more quietly, piece of cake poised upon fork and looking about trying to locate the Duke, "I like stuffy, it is so cute ."

Yet dally as she might, Nicolette realised that she might be hindering ladies approaching Louis. She was probably not doing him any favors to remain and chat, even though she was entirely content with his company. Really, talking to Louis might be the most fun the Ball would have for her (unless she found the token.) So she plundered her cake, taking a few mouthfuls and exploring the rest with the fork - till she was ready to discard the plate.

"Wish me luck," she turned, reached and squeezed his hand. Meeting his eyes, it was surely apparent that she wished fun upon him too...

Caroline was on John's arm as they stopped to be formally introduced, as she waited her eyes took in the glory of it all. What a grand place all festively decorated, no expense spared, and then add to it the cream of nobility garbed in their finest. Her own ball gown was recently purchased for just such illustrious occasions, of French design for she stubbornly believed the French were still the court to be copied when it came to fashion trends despite the real danger of oncoming war. There was fashion and there was politics, they should never get in each other's way, she believed.

Before they were publicly introduced, the announcer took some time to fill them in about such festive additions to this dance like mistletoe and the Lord of Misrule. John seemed to be barely interested but she liked those touches. As she glanced for just an instant at him, she silently determined she would manage to manuver him at some point under the mistletoe and give him a kiss, even if he would be embarrassed. Deep down she judged he would like it, appreciate it possibly.

As their names were announced, Caroline flashed a polite, rather reserved for her, smile then the pair made their into the rapidly growing assemblage of courtiers. She spoke softly into his ear, "Thank you again for accompanying me."

Lord Maldon wasted no time to seek out either refreshment or engage in small talk as he made a straight line to what were mostly probably his relatives. Well, he was shy and these were the people he would feel most at ease with, she understood. No sooner did they pull up in front of his family but he congratulated one of them. That seemed to surprise the fellow. Caroline stood there simply making eye contact and smiling.

He then introduced her.

"Good evening, I hope you are all enjoying the holidays. Lord Maldon has said so many good things about his family I found myself eager to meet them in the flesh," she declared holding out her hand for the men to kiss as they hopefully introduced themselves by name. Otherwise she could only guess exactly who they were.

Davina

She, already being Privy to what was being whispered, stood calmly at her brother's side watching the reactions then turning towards the quickling filling space before them.

Decorated with an overabundance of The Season and with mistletoe hung all about there was no guessing involved with that placement.

As the Danish Ambassador asked his question she replied as they all surveyed

"The 'Lord of Misrule' is a Master of Revels of sorts that reigns over the twelve days of Christmas in the same manner as His Majesty save that all that he 'Conmands' tis harmless fun and pranks. Usually a Gentleman here at Court but on the outside it can be anyone who is choosen by lot or finding the bean in a cake."

"And as you have heard how this night is to be conducted that is why I suspect he aleady is known - and none may gainsay his wishes even if tis directed at their Majesties - but respect for Rank will be maintained. He will have some Gentleman about him as his Deputies all with silly names as befits the Occasion."

"And so I shall get a head start by requesting a dance from each Ambassador - you must tell me if you'd rather a slow and stately Pavanne or some other more active Country Dance ...."

She sparkled at the two Ambassadors with her charming smile with no trace of shyness.

"Master Lucas Co-..."

The herald faltered as Master Cole strode right past, waving one hand impatiently. He had no interest in being announced, tonight; nor in being noticed, particularly. He was not even entirely certain why he had even bothered to come... but it had been easier to simply consider it an obligation and do so, rather than interminably debate the repercussions.

The composer wore an indigo-coloured frock coat, the velvet woven pile-on-pile with an all-over pattern of hare-bells and forget-me-nots; waistcoat and breeches were a muted bronze, cream silk stockings, lace cravat, court shoes. Everything just as it should be, perfectly respectable and not in the least bit conspicuous. And, if he was extremely lucky, perhaps nobody would notice that it was last season's cut and colour, nor that he'd worn it before. Perhaps he could contrive to somehow become invisible.

At least that was the general idea as, head down, he headed toward the refreshments table to get a glass of wine to hide behind. Losing himself among the anonymous margins of the ballroom, he paused to take his bearings and regard the crowd. Such finery on display tonight, such affluence. Everywhere he looked, coy looks and charming smiles, couples flirting and exchanging shy kisses beneath mistletoe...

Lucas looked up, frowned slightly, and carefully moved about a foot to the left. That was the very last thing he needed.

The Ice Queen

“It was my p-p-pleasure.” John said with a warm smile to Caroline. John had apparently forgotten his manners, “Ah, my apologies.” John did seem mildly apologetic, “I’d… heard you were matched to the Percy g-g-girl.” John looked over at Devonshire, who was his connection there.

Then Caroline made it clear he’d forgotten to introduce them. “My Lord and Lady Newcastle, m-m-my Lady Ablemarle, my Lord Ogle. My Lord Devonshire and my Lord and Lady Cavendish.” He went through each, “I d-d-don’t see My Lord and Lady Burghley or my Lady Devonshire, or my siblings, but they… should be along.” And Caroline might know them by their age. Lady Devonshire was older, the Burghleys (Devonshire’s daughter and her husband) were middle aged, and John’s siblings were teenaged.

“As the l-l-ladies are asking men, p-p-perhaps you might put out your hand to be k-k-kissed.” John said to Lord Ogle, in an amused tone. He urged Caroline on to take her pick with a gesture, though he was grinning a bit. No doubt the dukelet was used to having women jump at him.

A Few More Into the Fray

A small group of blonde ladies were conversing behind fans. They seemed to be in their late thirties and forties, probably related.

"I shall keep my eye on Thomas," said one.

There were some more whispers. It was hard to tell just what men the ladies were talking about, but male names kept popping up for any who were close enough to them. They could just as easily be talking about who they were going to dance with or who their sons were, etc. "Captain" and "Susie" also seemed to be cropping up now and again.

Just as Rochester and Dorset were up to something, so to were a number of other gentlemen.

There might not yet be a Lord (or Lady) of Misrule yet, but that did not mean that any number of courtiers were going to actually wait for one!

The Duke of Buckingham had his own games afoot. If the ladies were going to ask the gentlemen, well, he only wished to make sure the bravest and most interesting among them would dare to ask him, all in the name of amusement, you see.

So where did the blond duke wish to find himself but placed purposefully but in the company of a few female cousins and his sister. Any woman who would brave that gauntlet and introductions to steal him away was well worth a dance and some not! Court was not a place for the hesitant and the grandest of games held no room for those who could not navigate both daring and etiquette seamless, and at the same time.

"Good evening, my ladies," he said to them, almost innocently.

His games, though, were old hat to his sister who rolled her eyes. She whispered to the mother of the Herbert brood, who chuckled. Then she gave a nod of understanding between the other female blondes.

"Well, brother, we have far better things to do than be your buffer, but it might be entertaining, so we shall play party to it all," Mall declared, casting her eyes about for any hopefuls. She leaned in again to the Dowager Lady Pembroke and said, "Cat, the only thing better would be to hold mistletoe over him and see who shall brave it all!" The pair dissolved into giggles, which necessitated the ladies whispering to each other so all could understand. Poor George was left out of that little secret.

Meanwhile His Majesty has his own games afoot being, quote, detained for some short while, but was that truly what the King was up to? He was known for going incognito; although, would he do that at a state event? The Queen's arrival was announced and she glided in with a few of her ladies in tow.

She had already been heavily encouraged to ask some gentlemen to dance by His Majesty and also her uncle, both of whom wished her to gain more bond with the English court and people. The thought of querying a man did not particularly appeal to her.

Her less than subtle hint worked and John quickly recovered to introduce his relatives to her then. As he ticked off their names, Caroline desperately worked to match faces with the names though already realized she'd probably forget half of them before the ball was over. However she greeted each of them with eye contact, a smile, and a nod of acknowledgment. Turned out none were his siblings.....so far. Fair enough.

"So honored to meet you all, my lords and ladies," Caroline declared.

John teased Lord Ogle saying mayhaps he should put out his hand much as the ladies often do in the process of introductions, no doubt in reference to the turn around expected at this ball of the womenfolk asking the men to dance.

"Well then, my lord, would you care to accompany me onto the dance floor?" she offered, mostly because John seemed to expect it of her and she did not wish to disappoint the man. It felt very strange to be the one doing the asking. Truth was though she had no real interest in Ogle. Still, it was but a single dance.

The redhead had not intended to insult anybody by inattention, but merely sought a quip, a bon mot. As Charles mentioned the mistletoe, a wicked gleam appeared in Heather's eyes. Yes, indeed, a collection of kisses was just was the evening called for. It was innocent enough not to have the Duke erupt, and it still neatly reestablished her reputation as Godiva. Perhaps an ode to kissing later this evening, Heather considered, though I won't kiss all the men in the room. There were some too disgusting to contemplate.

"Compelled or not, if I wish it, I can," she told the life guard and tip toed to kiss him briefly on the lips. It was not of the greatest passion. It was a mere claiming of position, a deliberate confusion of Turnbull's senses. Self satisfied Heather leaned back "The Merry season is for collecting kisses, is it not?"

Catriona

Charles Sackville, Earl of Dorset, lost his smile briefly as Cat alluded to that abortion which had been his marriage to that O'Roarke creature. Nevertheless, he continued to pretend he was not listening.

Rochester, on the other hand, was relieved that Cat was not holding a grudge. It was not that the Earl worried about offending anyone. Heaven knew that he had offended most everyone at court. He had lost count years ago. It was easier to count the courtiers that he had yet to offend. Cat stayed on that list for now.

"Yes, no talk of seriousness tonight," he agreed readily. "It is lady's choice after all. Killigrew needed inspiration. The poor man is so dour. One has to wonder how he ever earned his position as Master of Revels in the first place." Despite his feigned ignorance, the Earl knew full well that the King had taken Killigrew's sister as a lover early in his reign. Debts had been paid and the sister forgotten in time. It was not a subject to discuss with Cat. He had agreed to keep things light.

"I think the Queen shall be forced to choose," Rochester continued. "Should we guess who she might choose?" Another man would have assumed that Cat would select him to dance; but, Johnny was always about a spot of unconventional fun, especially as the pox ravaged his abused body.

The Toledos and Charles

"Go to Arundel and see his thoughts," Esteban encouraged. "He will not know his father's thoughts, but may have an idea for what the Howards have in mind with respect to the war on the Continent." The son of Norfolk was known as something of a ladies man. He would watch from afar as the two spoke. It would be a test of sorts.

"Avoid Alyth and O'Roarke this evening," he cautioned. "One is judged by the company one keeps." If one was seen with royal mistresses, it would play into the notion that his wife was seeking to enter that circle.

It was then that Charles Audley arrived. "An esteemed pleasure," Esteban replied. "As you seem to know, I am Esteban de le Cerda, Baron Toledo, Ambassador from Spain and this is my lady wife Sophia." The reasons behind the Earl's approach became clear. "God has graced her with a gift," the Baron replied.

Douglas

"It would be a skill worth practicing," Maitland replied politely as the young Scot seemed to be coming into his own as a courtier and recognizing the ability to attempt all three. His brusque manners and diction would need to be polished further before he was likely to be accepted in genteel society easily. His further words caused another morsel from her lips.

"One must accept their place at court before they can hope to advance it." It went to the notion of comfort and confidence. Too many had unreasonable expectations and found themselves forgotten, while others who built upon reasonable expectations were more likely to accomplish things. At least, this was her opinion.

Frances Stuart had a child-like quality that made her a darling to many. Yet, beneath that exterior had grown a seasoned woman. The games she played were not the lofty ones, nor could she even comprehend them all. Hers was a world of intrigues heard and relayed. As power motivated many a man, court gossip was her currency.

As Douglas asked her thoughts, Frances offered a rare piece of advice. "I would say Captain that one should be careful not to read too much into the way one is dressed."

Davina

As the rules underlying the Lord of Misrule were explained, both ambassadors nodded their understanding. It was silly, but that was ideal for the holidays.

Seizing the moment, Davina asked each gentleman to dance. Ordinarily, such brazen conduct would be met with surprise; but, once the rules had been understood, they each bowed. "We would be delighted," Marius replied on behalf of himself and the Danish newcomer. "I prefer the country dance," he continued.

"That would leave me with the stately one," Christian replied. "It is my preference gladly." Frankly, he was unaware of English country dances. It was best to choose something that might transcend borders more easily.

Richard was annoyed at the new rules. He had been hoping to ask some new ladies to dance this evening. Now he found himself in the awkward position of needing to attract offers to dance. Since he had devoted himself to Eleanor Needham, he had neglected cultivating a broad circle of female acquaintances.

"If you gentlemen will excuse us, I need to speak to my sister privately for a moment." When he saw the puzzled expressions he added "just for a minute."

John and Caroline

John introduced the various Cavendishes present. They each stopped their conversations long enough to nod politely. The Devonshire branch was the one most familiar with Maldon. The Newcastles barely knew him, other than recognizing him. There were polite smiles and then they returned to their banter. Ogle remained engaged, happy to make Caroline's acquaintance. His eyes were mostly leveled at her bosom as he replied.

"Oh that," Ogle replied hastily, trying to change the subject. Nothing he could say on the subject would be satisfactory to his father, so he chose to remain silent on the subject. "The holidays have been much to my liking," he replied promptly. He could imagine all sorts of lurid liaisons he could manage before his betrothal was announced officially. His wife to be was but 13 years old and he had a taste for older female flesh. The quip about putting out his hand to be kissed caused Henry to give a surprised look, followed by a nervous laugh. "Oh, haha." His hand moved a fraction towards Caroline and then he thought better of it. It was then that Caroline invited him to dance. She was a comely thing, so he accepted readily. "It would be my pleasure." He was convinced by the way she looked at him that she wanted to have sex with him. Of course, he often thought that of women he met.

John's siblings were nowhere in sight yet. The rest of the Cavendish clan was still assembling.

Lucas

A female form appeared beside him. "Standing near mistletoe is all a lady might need to demand a kiss," came the motherly advice. Beside him was the matronly form of ... "I am Edith Habersham. I know who you are Master Cole. A man so new from a triumph should not be so wary of celebrating it. Are you a timid man Master Cole?" Age gave a certain freedom to ask pointed and personal questions. Edith had her own way of engaging in conversation.

Cat, Rochester and their audience

Cat had no great love for Dorset, but not the amount of animosity that Heather carried for him. So she could be amused by the trick and still be glad it wasn't her.

"Well, women are known to help men with inspiration. The muses themselves were all female. So perhaps it was an inspiration on Master Killigrew's part," Cat replied with a shrug, sipping at her punch. It wasn't whiskey, but you had to work with what was on hand. Since she was still standing there, she opted for another piece of cake.

With the Queen's arrival, one brow quirked upwards. "Hmm," she pondered, looking around. "I believe you shall be safe from her request, my lord. I suspect we should figure out the most boring gentleman in the room," she decided in response as to the German heifer's dance partner. The Scot scanned the room, wondering who was the biggest leech in the room. "Basildon has my vote for that title."

Louis and Nicci

Louis was quite certain that he knew what his cousin suggested. He fought a sly smile and replied. "Oftentimes, the best dances are the ones done in private." There was no need to say anything more, as he did not resist her suggestion. All in good time my dear.

Her playful nature could not resist the thought of competing to be the Lady of Misrule. His smile widened. "Perhaps I will bribe the servants," he declared as they approached the dessert table. It was doubtful that they would know, but an offer would not hurt. "Perhaps there is an indentation in the cake or pie that contains it," he mused aloud. His knowledge of baking was limited. As for his own story about a holiday spent not so many years ago, Louis gave his cousin an inviting smile. "Perhaps I shall tell you later" in more private surroundings.

"Not so fast Nicci," he urged as she sought to depart, thoughts of Cumberland on her mind. "You set me the task of dancing with Mall, so you shall need to assist me." His eyes swept to where Buckingham hid behind a wall of feminine sentries. "We shall both sally to the Duke so that you might ask him to dance. Along the way, it shall fall to me to convince the old gal to ask me," he laughed. Already he was laying the groundwork for a plan. "What say you? Are you up for the adventure?"

Davina

They had accepted, as she'd known would happen, and she smiled across to the Dutch Ambassador adding that

"Once other Ladies see how well you dance I am sure that you will be besieged - so I count myself lucky to have had you first afore all your energy is drained away!"

As for the other

"I must confess to that preference as well and so I hope for a Pavane or even Contapaso yet I cannot think Lavolta would be allowed ... We shall see what lies in store for us all soon enough!"

It was then that her brother asked to speak with her and so she gave the two Ambassadors a curtsey sending then out onto the Field of Battle with encouragement then turned back to him asking if ought was amiss.

"That was not sporting," Charles admitted. Street moves was a polite way to describe dirty tactics. "Keep an eye out for the unorthodox when you compete again," he advised, using a similar polite term.

There was something of an awkward pause when he suggested the kiss. Would Ambrose ask for it, Heather, or neither? It was decided when Heather took the initiative. A wide smile appeared on his face when Heather remarked about collecting kisses. When he had arrived at court back in '75 he too had thought collecting kisses to be quite the sport. He collected perhaps two dozen in his first season, and they were not usually the brief holiday kind.

As one might expect, he had progressed from kisses to something more intimate. Marion had been his first, followed by several others thereafter. His smile turned wistful as he recollected those early days at court, eyes sparkling with warm memories. Now, not three years later, he collected lovers as he had once collected kisses. Yet, it did not feel that way to him. He did not view himself as a ladies man. Rather, he imagined that it was a combination of a fancy uniform, racing notoriety and heroics that had allowed him to be so fortunate in his feminine encounters.

His good fortune was not limited to quantity. He had two devoted lovers in Davina and Catherine. His eye need not roam further this holiday season; yet, how many young men promised themselves such on the eve of meeting another extraordinary creature?

"So Countess," he thought to change the mood, "pray tell the Lieutenant and myself how me might catch a lady's eye in hopes of a dance? This is all quite new to us." It was not a nervous or innocent chuckle that followed. It was more for the benefit of Ambrose. Charles was certain to have a dance from Susan and Catherine, perhaps Davina too. Three dances would be spoken for that way. His card was almost nearly full without trying. If Fiona was about, would she seek to claim a dance? That might be awkward.

The Ice Queen

John was a bit taken aback by Ogle’s dismissive reply. He didn’t show much sign of it, but that didn’t bode too well for John's hopes the match would bring the two branches closer together. Nor did the way he openly stared at Caroline endear him to the young heir. “As you c-c-can see,” John said to Caroline, “He lives up to his title.” Perhaps Sophia was right when she said men constantly openly ogled women at court. He was, at any rate, two for two.

Regardless, John thought it would be to Caroline’s benefit. Dukes and their sons were not so easy to come by.

John looked out for a moment. He saw Sophia and some unknown gentleman, so that told him nothing, and the Queen off elsewhere. Well, it would be up to Sophia at this point. And he didn’t see his sister at the moment anyway.

John sighed internally. He had no dances to seek, no intrigues to support until he knew Sophia’s reception and his sister was around. As for meeting people, he was stalled since he was waiting on no less than eight people who’d made promises to get back to him or follow through. The results there would determine his next moves, at the moment he was just… waiting, as he had been for so long.

By this point he thought several of them had just lied or forgotten. Perhaps tomorrow he’d spend the day knocking on those doors he’d heard not a peep from. A servant passed by and John took a glass of mulled wine. He drained it immediately before taking another. That one looked like it might have a longer life.

Since Caroline was off his arm and chatting with Ogle, John moved over to near Devonshire and his family. Caroline might come along if she preferred him to the drunken dukelet. He was, at any rate, only moving a few steps away. “How’s your health, Will?” John asked Devonshire. Last they spoke he’d been very ill. And he was old. John wasn’t sure how much longer his foster father had in him.

Archived