JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

The Christmas Ball (25/12 Evening)- Xmas 1677

Blackguard

Douglas and the Duchesses

The big Scotsman might have been amused, had he known of Maitland's caution. He knew her husband of course, though hardly well. He'd spoken with him the previous year about the state of the nation and Scotland in particular, and agreed to supply Lauderdale with information, which he'd done by letter and in person. And then their contact had petered out. Recently they'd sought to renew it. If he'd had to give an opinion of how Lauderdale would describe him, it would be 'mostly harmless'.

Of course, he could be completely wrong. Regardless, it had been interesting to meet the man's wife; a insight into the man himself regardless of the fact that Elizabeth herself was an interesting woman. He could hope they might bump into each other in the future.

Richmond's admonishment drew a chuckle from Douglas. "Sometimes bein' obvious is the best wa' tae git whit ye want."* He drawled, an amused sparkle in his blue eyes. After all, it had worked, hadn't it?

"A dance fer a poem thain. Ye kin choose the subject, if we finish aneath th'mistletoe."** He added, raising the stakes. After all, it was easy to spout something written earlier, or on one's favourite topic, but written on the fly on another's choice was more difficult. Then again, court was a big place and there were a million topics.

Taking to the dance floor would, of course, mean that they were taking their leave of Elizabeth. "Yer Grace, t'was a pleasure tae meet ye. Thank ye fer a mos' int'restin' discussion."*** He bowed politely in Maitland's direction before offering his hand in what he obviously thought was a dainty fashion to Richmond, tucking a foot and bending his knees in an awkward curtsy.

Subtitles

* "Sometimes being obvious is the best way to get what you want."

** "A dance for a poem then. You can choose the subject, if we finish beneath the mistletoe."

*** "Your Grace, it was a pleasure to meet you. Thank you for a most interesting discussion.

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John and Devonshire

"Burgoyne is a Baronet," the Earl disclosed. "He might not be the best match but he is one of the more decent young men I know. He would never take advantage of a lady and is good company." The same could not be said for many of the lords assembled. "He would be a fine first partner for Catherine or Abigail." Debutantes needed to be introduced smoothly into court. Devonshire was of the view that their first meetings with lords ought to be with the ones that were most honorable and decent. Let them meet the scallywags later.

"He is over there," the older man nodded in the direction of a young man in a scarlet frock coat standing alone at a dessert table, sampling some holiday punch. "What do you say Catherine? Would you like me to introduce you?"

Catherine merely blushed under the scrutiny of the elder, looking away when the stress was too great. Devonshire looked at John and gave a short barking laugh. "She does. Do you want to tag along John, or leave me to the honors?"

The mention of Ablemarle confused Devonshire. "What do you mean? Are you suggesting him as a dance partner?" He thought little of young Monck. He was nothing like his father. Yet, he was a Duke.

Thomas

"Not in the mood to dance and be merry? Why in heavens are you here sir? It is the Christmas Ball. It is a royal command to be merry. Don't let the King see you this way. Bye the bye, I am Henry Bennet, Earl of Arlington and His Majesty's Chamberlain. And who might you be?" He was about to suggest a negative nickname but withheld. One should never slight someone before the target's identity is revealed.

Davina

Richard dreaded that look. He preferred to be the older brother who knew everything and scolded her every deviation from his image of an ideal sister. She was looking smug. Careful sister. She was enjoying the moment too much.

He heard names of Susan, Gracen and Alice. Yet no introduction was offered. There was Basildon's impoverished cousin, but he did not know the man, or the lady. There was Catherine Sedley, mistress to York and now Langdon. Hardly. He was not sure which Scottish baron was indicated. There were so many of them.

Then, in a flash, she was off towards Buckingham, not thinking of taking him with her. The Duke had surrounded himself with many charming ladies it seemed. Yet, it was all for naught. He saw only the back of Davina as she moved away purposefully. I need a drink. Perhaps he would sit out the first dance.

Charles and the Toledos

Venice had its charms undoubtedly but Esteban saw more beauty in his homeland. "I am glad you asked," the Baron replied. "Toledo is the city of three cultures. It is famed for its swords and its warm sun. The Alcazar sits on the heights above the city. It dates back to Roman times and has seen the most powerful kings and conquistadors grace its halls," he declared with pride.

"Tell us Lord Chatham of your own home, if it pleases you," Toledo invited. It was best to know as much as possible about anyone he entrusted with his wife.

Catriona and Rochester

It was clear that the Scot liked his idea. Johnny flashed a smile that displayed how pleased he was with himself.

"Fair enough." He offered his arm and set a course across the hall towards the Queen. She was surrounded by well-wishers. "It may be difficult to wade through the sycophants," Rochester quipped. As they drew close he paused to look for a clear path. "And if I wait for the King to kiss her, shall you make good on your pledge?"

She wanted mischief? Well, the Earl of Rochester was deepening his plot.

Douglas

Maitland gave a slight curtsey as Douglas bowed in his leavetaking. Frances offered her arm. "If you will be seeking a Christmas kiss sir, it shall cost you another poem. It is ladies night and you must be prepared to bargain sir. It must be a poem that makes light of someone here at court." She could only hope it might even be scandalous. "So, one tonight at the expense of some courtier and then another some other day when I am in need of a diversion. Are we in agreement again Captain? Surely, a gentleman would indulge a lady's request." She paused in her steps towards the dance area as if to threaten a departure.

Douglas and Richmond

As they wandered away from Maitland in the direction of the dancing, Richmond laid out her terms. Not one poem but two - the latter held in reserve - in exchange for a dance and a kiss. And tonight's poem at the expense of a courtier.

Douglas drew a hissing breath in through his teeth and rubbed his thumb along his jaw as he considered the proposed deal. "Ye drive a hard bargain Yer Grace." He observed, as though bargaining with a merchant. "But I think I kin meet it." He added with a wink. "Agreed." He held out his hand as though offering to shake on their bargain. Meanwhile he was already mentally cataloguing those in attendance, wondering whom he could lampoon.

He felt a little thrill that she had agreed, and so easily. Of course, a mistletoe kiss was a chaste and simple gesture, but a kiss from La Belle Stuart was well worth the risk of the request. Them as don't ask, don't get.

OOC: To the dance?

Subtitles

* "You drive a hard bargain Your Grace. But I think I can meet it. Agreed."

John and Devonshire

“Then he’s welcome on my account.” John replied. Perhaps John’s ambitions were snobbish, but a decent man was always welcome. John quietly observed the interplay between Devonshire and his sister. When asked whether he wanted to come along, “T-t-tonight is the lady’s choice of company, is it not?” He passed the decision to her.

Devonshire didn’t speak on the matter of the Queen whatsoever. “D-d-do you not know, or have no ideas how we m-m-might come to know?” John asked. Gently, though. He had no ideas himself but to watch and wait so he could hardly fault Devonshire a negative answer.

John sighed. Apparently he’d been too vague or too subtle, “I w-w-wouldn’t mind, but I was asking after his character. His b-b-brother in law spent more time examining my f-f-friend’s features than her face.” John was obviously mildly put off by that. Caroline was the sort who could take care of herself, and a duke was a duke, but he certainly hadn’t intended to deliver her to the experience of a lecherous teen, ducal or otherwise.

Charles and the Toledos

Sophia wrinkled her nose when Lord Chatham revealed that he had attempted poetry without success. “You are not alone, my lord. I, too, tried to write poetry and the results were ...” She smiled wryly. “Quite dreadful. I could tell by the way my friends winced when I read my poems to them. I was hoping that I would be able to write lyrics for arias, but I do not have a way with words in either of the languages in which I am fluent. If you are inspired artistically again, you might try painting. It is much easier.”

While they waited for the King and Queen to arrive, Charles asked Esteban about Toledo. He was more enthusiastic and loquacious about his homeland than she had expected. Her husband was a dispassionate man of few words, she had long since discovered. “It is truly beautiful,” Sophia chimed in. “I enjoyed visiting both Toledo and Madrid. My lord husband's family made me feel very welcome.” And so did Juan, she added silently to herself. She was always welcome in his arms and in his bed.

“You should visit Spain and see it for yourself. It is inspiring as well, but in a different way than Venice.” Most ladies never left the countries of their birth. Sophia was quite well-traveled for a sixteen-year-old girl.

Esteban asked about Charles' home and she smiled winsomely at the Earl to encourage him. She knew very little about England outside of London and was always interested to learn more about the country that she now called home as well.

Charles and the Toledos

Charles nodded noncommittally to Sophia's advice to try painting. He had some skill with brush and pencil, sufficient to sketch out a line of battle or the plan of a fortress, but that was a dry, technical skill and there was no art in it. He rather fancied the same would be true of any painting he attempted. No, if he were to renew his creative efforts, he would try his hand at poetry again. He was good with words, wasn't he? And speaking of words (hah!)...

"I shall bear that in mind my lady, thank you."

Toledo could be surprisingly talkative when the subject was near to his heart. He certainly painted a good picture of his home. Charles was quite proud of himself for bringing the taciturn diplomat into the conversation.

Charles Audley, Master of Conversation. I should put that on my card. Which reminds me, I need to get visiting cards printed. Wait, what was that last part?

The earl hid his dismay with the ease of long practice. Chatham was a poor topic of conversation for a number of reasons. Firstly, he had spent roughly six weeks there in the last decade and, secondly, the place quite frankly bored him to tears. But there was nothing for it.

"Well, I fear Chatham is not quite so exotic. It lies a day's travel to the south-east, on the banks of the Medway in Kent. Upnor Castle is the closest thing we have to a Spanish alcazar, I'm afraid, though we do have the Naval yard and the remains of the Roman road as well. Watling Street, I believe the Saxons called it. It is absolutely lovely country- Kent is the Garden of England, after all- and the hunting's fairly good. It's idyllic, really, a veritable Arcadia for when one is tired of the pace of life in London. I have no doubt that I shall live out my twilight years there in perfect content."

Charles doubted that he would live long enough to retire (no male of his line had ever made it much past fifty, apart from his grandfather, and he'd spent his last decade in a second infancy) or that he would retire even if he did live long enough. And even if he did retire, if he was willing to spend it in Chatham he had obviously lost his wits and they could shoot him there and then.

Catriona and Rochester

It had been quite a long time since Cat had done anything remotely reckless, so it was well overdue. Indeed, the last time had been...there was that...no. What about...nope, not her. Cat couldn't even remember the last time before the sword fighting competition Charles Whitehurst had set up their very first Season. If that was so, it was high time.

"Sycophants are easy to move," she replied, keeping her voice low so that only Rochester might hear her, as she looked for an easy passage. Between someone weak willed and someone easily intimidated. Not that she often set out to intimidate people. "As a Scot, my word is my pledge. We don't need any pesky rings to make mischief." She threw him a wink before scanning to see where the Queen might be looking at a partner.

Heather with uniformed men

"Well," Heather's eyes twinkled "Obviously both of you have the advantage on some. Why, those red blinking uniforms must attract many a lady. Have you not heard Lieutenant Turnbull, the whispers among the men in the officer's mess.. about Lightening Langdon." Heather tittered behind her fan. The title had always amused her, and clearly it was Charles' time to be ribbed.

"I will tell you both a secret," she gave a half whisper over her fan "If you want to attract a woman you need to be a little bit cruel.. wicked.. by ignoring her. It is a game of chase, and who says it is always the man that does the chasing, mm? Play hard to get." Her green eyes wandered to Chatham standing over with the Spanish Ambassador, doing a fair job of totally ignoring her. Yes. most cruel. Her eyes moved on, as if they had not rested in particular on the one eyed gentleman, narrowing a little as she saw a few other gentlmen. Moving on...

"Now, come give me a challenge, whose kiss shall I try to obtain?" the Countess begged "Do not make it too easy, I beg of you, but not too cruel either." Merriweather or Dorset would be outright denied, no matter the amount of mistletoe. Therer was a limit to what she could stomache.

"I am Lieutenant Thomas Grey." he said with a nod toward the man with the plaster on his nose. The man's question was a legitimate one. Thomas himself didn't really know why he decided to go to the ball. His gut told him it was a good thing to do, although he was regretting that decision right about now.

"I'm not quite sure, myself. I reckoned that I should make my appearance, drink a little bit, then make my way back to my hovel." he said with a ungraceful shrug. "And besides, I'm not all the experienced with wooing and courtship. Or dancing for that matter." he gave Bennett and smirk.

He turned his gaze to the ballroom scanning the mingling people. He caught a few people he recognized from around London. Maybe it was Bennett's words that got to him, but he found himself glancing at any woman who caught his eye.

Thomas turned his attention back to the Earl of Arlington. "And how goes your night, sir?" he asked returning to his ale, and the man before him. Not that he particularly cared about how the man felt, he figured it was best to keep cordial with the Earl and not aggravate him.

All

Killigrew was feeling impatient. It was not the first time he awaited the King overlong. Monarchs rarely felt bound by time. Rather than the King approaching, the Master of Revels noted the King's Master of the Privy Purse approaching instead. Baptist May was one of the King's intimates.

After but a brief exchange, Killigrew glanced at the Queen and then back to the assembled mass. "Ladies and gentlemen. His Majesty bids the dance to proceed. He will join us in time."

The musicians began tuning their instruments, signaling thereby that the first dance was to begin shortly. The Queen hid her annoyance, knowing that her husband was impossible to control. Rather than display her disappointment, she turned back to the many well-wishers that sought any opportunity to speak with her.

As many couples came together, there were laughs and kisses exchanged under the mistletoe. None had yet to claim finding the brass ring hidden inside one of the pastries.

Blonds & Brunettes

As Basildon and Nicolette approached, they might notice the Duchess seemed to be preoccupied with the Duke's periwig. In fact, the wily woman had put a sprig of mistletoe on the back of the top of his head, which neither of the pair could .

Oh dear brother... she thought with amusement. If he was going to try to have his fun at their expense, the female Villiers would get in the holiday spirit as well.

The Duke of Buckingham was not going to make it quite so easy for the girl. With a hint of a smile, he pointedly did not look at her, which was some show of faux drama on its own; oh yes, he was pretending he had not seen her glance, slightly distracted by his sister.

Mall, however, was quite interested in the first contestants in their little game, for it was no longer just the Duke's.

"I shouldn't think you would find your virtue here, my lord. Not a one of us has stolen it, I should think!" Mall declared, with a little feminine flip of her hand. "But...your cousin, I believe..." she smiled at Nicolette, "might be far more likely to find breeches here."

The talk of breeches surely had caused a little glint in the duke's eyes. He did so like breeches on the mademoiselle....

"Good evening," the Duke did reply, with a nod to Basildon, and finally flitting his eyes across Nicolette with an unreadable little smile. He would then decide if she had paid any mind to things he had said to her in the past.

Mall was even more inviting. "Do join us, as it seems we must be the only ones not seeking dance partners," the Duchess said, with her own glint of the eye. It was rather fun to tease a man like Basildon, who so many were in awe of, and she was interested to see if Nicci would ask her brother to dance.

Heather, Charles and Ambrose

There was a time for talking and a time for dancing. The former was giving way to the latter. Though in great need of consulting with his friend Heather, the presence of Ambrose prevented it. Although Charles might have simply asked the soldier to give him a bit of privacy, the young Earl thought the better course was to go in search of a dance partner and then find Heather again. He needed her guidance in dealing with York and Sedley. Time was something of the essence given that Charles would likely encounter York soon, unless he consciously avoided the Duke.

"I shall walk through a gauntlet of ladies and see who might pounce. I will try to ignore, but will likely be hard," Charles replied to Heather with a laugh. Pretty ladies were too attractive to disregard.

As for a kissing challenge, Charles thought of one quickly. He knew better than to ask for one in return. Heather likely would have him attempting to kiss the Queen or some elderly matron. "You have started the evening by kissing soldiers. Now you must finish it likewise," Langdon pronounced. "That means York, Rupert, Ablemarle, Beverley, Ogle, FitzJames, and ..." his head was looking around for more soldiers he knew. "And any I have forgotten," he chuckled. York was not exactly a soldier anymore, but he had been one and he knew that Heather would certainly kiss him at the ball. Why not give her two reasons?

"Countess," he added with a much more serious look. "There is something I must discuss with you briefly about a gentleman of our common acquaintance. I do not wish to halt you from your dancing prey or from your kissing challenge; but, I would enjoy a moment of your time after the first dance. I shall look for you."

With a bow to Heather and a nod towards Ambrose, Charles took his leave. Perhaps Heather would ask Ambrose to dance. It would be easy enough. Langdon could ill afford to dance with Heather given the thin ice he was on with the Duke of York, at least until he knew the prince to be favorably inclined to him once again.

Taking His Leave

He knew Davina would be there, but he did not see her. It would not do to be her first dance anyway. Rather, he walked in the direction of Susan Herbert, pretending that he did not see her. Heather had suggested such a tactic. The question would be whether she would approach him for a dance or another intervene. Perhaps no one would ask him to dance the first dance and his male ego would be irreparably damaged. He had yet to see Fiona, but he thought he saw Catriona with Rochester.

Douglas

Frances was happy to hear that she had driven a hard bargain, though she was already regretting not asking for a third poem. The Captain seemed to be in an agreeable mood.

"Oh, they are ready for the dance" she observed, looking eager to head to the floor to secure a prime spot.

OOC~ Yes, do your one post in the dance area please.

John

Catherine had no desire to have her brother watch her fumble with words when asking a man to dance, so she indicated a desire to go with Devonshire alone.

As for the Queen, Devonshire seemed without a specific plan. "She will be extra sociable tonight in mixing with her subjects. We will gain a chance to meet her I think." As for Ablemarle, John clarified his question. "He is not his father certainly, but seems a decent sort. He does not seem to enjoy soldiering overmuch. He is easily attracted to diversions."

Catherine cleared her throat. "Yes yes dear. Time is wasting and the dance is about to begin. Let us go snare Burgoyne before some interloper does." Off they went. The Duke and Duchess of Newcastle moved towards the dance floor as well.

Charles and the Toledos

Audley's silver tongue made Chatham sound appealing. No mean feat it seemed. "It sounds ... tranquil." Esteban had been looking for the right English word. There was little more to say really; it was doubtful that the Toledos would ever visit.

Enough of pleasantries, the Ambassador wished to leave. He saw Ruvigny and Barillon swoop in on Prince Rupert and he wanted to draw closer in the hopes he might overhear something. "If you will excuse me. I must pay my respects to some members of the diplomatic corps."

Catriona

"Sycophants are as easy to move away from royals as dogs are from a bone," he jested. "Still no one is attempting to kiss the Queen yet," he lamented. "And where is the King? I am certain no royal business is delaying his arrival. He is either swiving some pretty thing or has some plan in mind." Another gentleman would not raise the idea that the King might be with another woman in Cat's presence; but, Johnny was a bold one and inclined to think that Cat was realistic enough to know that the King was like a honey bee, moving from flower to flower.

"What say you? Shall we delay our advance? We could dance a country dance together, or I can untether you so that you might be free to hunt other game for the time being." He would find her again at an opportune time.

Thomas

"Ah, a military man." That seemed to explain several things to the Earl. "Well, this is a great event to practice your skills at womanizing. It is a merry court and is a main sport."

As for his own evening, it was hard to say given the early time. "Well enough I suppose. My gout is not acting up and neither is the pain in the joints. I need not fear a lady asking me to dance." The only ladies that would find him attractive were ones desperate for any contact with a court veteran.

"Might I recommend you adopt military tactics?" the Chamberlain suggested. "Scout out the ladies and look to come along side and take them as a prize." It was not very helpful advice, but Arlington seemed to find it amusing.

Blonds & Brunettes

Mall seemed to be fussing with the Duke's wig, perhaps a ringlet or ribbon was out of place, though the glint to her eyes made Nicci curious. Nicolette remembered a time, oh years ago now, at french court when a malicious prank had been played and a lady had put a chunk of smelly cheese in another's hair. Oh but that couldn't be what was going on here, could it. No, surely!

Ah, but the Duke was distracted, and did not see her 'look'. Taking breath Nicolette smiled back to Mall, there was a little frivolous banter, the setting of places as it were. "La! breeches are so much easier to find than virtue." Nicolette declared airily, "Cousin, perhaps we should change our evenings ambition, seek instead skirts and vice?"

Nicolette tried catch the Duke's eye again, oh but he was behaving very distracted. Finally the man addressed Louis, though with a removed manner, and a smile that might have hung neatly next to Mona Lisa.

Nicolette supposed he had something on his mind.

She'd seen Louis equally distracted sometimes, and Lord Daventry also. Men did seem to have a harder time letting go of business - but then that was why they needed their ladies. Nicolette knew herself be just what a sober gentleman needed to put a smile on his face.

"Oooh!" she gave a playful cry and a hop, all but demanding the Duke to look at her, "what is that I feel, oh, stop stop!" and she rustled her skirts about. "Sacre blue, I think I have found where the virtue is hiding. La, how embarrassing! Do not look!"

John

John was accustomed to being left behind or in the background. He acquiesced easily and without recrimination. He nodded to Devonshire’s talk of Ablemarle and the Queen, useful but not the sort of thing that needed a reply. Newcastle seemed to be departing, as well as Caroline and Ogle.

Now mostly alone John let frustration come over his features. It was becoming increasingly clear to him his patience was hurting him as he saw various people pushing their plans forward and moving forward with partners. Some of whom he’d seen doing the same last night. John had missed last night almost entirely and he couldn’t do what he wanted to do tonight either really.

The romantic theme particularly rankled. It reminded him of Ormonde and his delays. I need a drink. John noticed his cup was already gone. He handed it to a passing servant and resisted the urge.

John looked around to see who wasn’t proceeding to the floor. Perhaps there would be someone interesting. If not, he’d probably make a snowball and a slingshot with his sash. Whether he’d use it himself or just leave it for some enterprising fellow he hadn’t decided yet.

Caroline and Ogle

The young man seemed reluctant to move out onto the dance floor until the arrival of the king. Fair enough, it wasn't like she was all that eager to dance with him anyhow. Blast John for putting her into this situation. Speaking of the devil, she turned to look for him and there he was by himself and looking less than thrilled about the whole thing. Others might not be able to tell but she knew him better and she also had been apprised of his attitude on balls.

"Very well, we can wait," she settled for a nod.

He then requested she tell him about herself. Well, nothing better to do as long as they were waiting.

"I come from Glandon, that is I own the property now with the death of my husband last year in a tragic barn fire. At least the horses got out," she informed him rather matter of factly.

"Thus far I have found managing an estate less of a challenge than some menfolk claim it to be," she added.

"However I decided I must see what court was like and visit London so I came for the first time last season until that wretched plague rumor chased everyone away. But here I am again for the holidays ....oh, and I'm not sure if you were in attendance at the opera but I played the cello in the orchestra. Master Cole, who wrote the music, selected me personally after hearing me play. It was such an enjoyable evening," Caroline smiled.

And then it seemed there was to be no further waiting on His Majesty but instead the announcement was made to begin the dance. Good, let her get this over with.

Susan intercepts Charles

Fiona was busy ordering something stronger from a servant at one of the refreshment tables and did not notice Charles break away from the group. Susan did, and she smiled as he headed in her direction, timing her approach so that they would meet each other under a sprig of mistletoe. She had not forgotten the kiss they had shared in the tunnels, brief as it had been. Would he kiss her more passionately now, as it was all in fun?

She pretended not to notice she had stopped beneath it, hoping that he would take the opportunity it provided. “Good evening, Lord Langdon,” she said. “I am delighted to see you again. Would you like to dance? It looks as if the first dance is about to begin.”

Charles and Sophia, with Toledo departing

His description of Chatham was quite intriguing. “It does sound lovely. I have had never had the pleasure of visiting an estate as we only come to England when court is in session. Everyone I know seems to love their country homes and they stay there during recess. I confess I do not understand the appeal of peace and quiet. I love to be in the thick of things. I do love my estate in Germany, though, although I am not certain I would be happy living there again, not until I am very old.”

Esteban excused himself, and Sophia nodded. “I will find you before the last dance,” she said with a small smile, trying to appear as if he abandoned her all the time and she wasn't happy with it. With a little sigh, she turned back to her charming companion as the musicians began tuning their instruments.

“Shall we go to the dance floor before it becomes too crowded?” she asked, moving closer to Charles. She didn't notice that she was standing directly beneath a sprig of mistletoe.

Chatham and Sophia, with Toledo departing.

Charles might not voice his agreement with Sophia's sentiments on country life but it surely shone from his eye. If there was a hell, the Devil would be hard pressed to find anything more of an anathema to Charles than tranquil country life.

Grandfather most likely lost his wits in self-defence.

Toledo seemed most eager to be about his business, thoroughly lacking in Christmas spirit. Charles nodded in acquiescence to the ambassador's request.

"By all means, your excellency. Far be it from me to keep you from your duty."

Politely, the Earl pretended intense interest in the nearby decorations as the couple parted, affecting not to notice any distance between Sophia and her husband. Poor little thing, getting the worst thing any woman could get from a man. Indifference. She deserved light and life and laughter.

Oh no. No. We are not doing this. You will dance with her, show her the utmost courtesy and return her to her husband. No more than that.

But a crusade to save the unloved wives of court would be such fun! And completely in keeping with the spirit of the season. Almost charitable in fact.

Perhaps we could answer her now, and discuss the merits of ministering to the lovelorn ladies of London later?

Charles smiled at Sophia, a hint of sympathy perhaps shining out of his eye.

"Of course my lady."

He stepped forward to offer her his arm, some sixth sense drawing his gaze upwards as he did.

Oh, the timing is perfect. This couldn't have happened while her husband was here, could it? No, it has to look like I was waiting for him to leave before I kissed her. Oh, the Hell with it!

He flicked his chin upwards to draw Sophia's gaze to the mistletoe and raised an eyebrow in lieu of a wink.

"Well, 'tis the season, I suppose."

Slowly, so as to give her time to object if she chose, he leaned in. The kiss would be relatively brief and chaste, to at least pay lip service (mustn't laugh!) to propriety.

He straightened, gave her another smile and offered her his arm once more.

"To the floor, then."

Catriona and Rochester

"Ah, but you just have to show you're the meanest bitch in the pack," Cat replied with a wink. She had never been one to let people stand in her way of what she wanted when she really wanted it. The idea that the King was off with another woman didn't cause any jealousy to flare within Cat. "Or it could be both. I doubt swiving would keep our good King from planning mischief. He's quite good at multitasking," she responded.

The plan did fall a bit stale without having all players present. She thought for a moment before answering, "Perhaps we should separate for this dance. If we stay together too long, someone might get suspicious." Cat and Rochester weren't known for being in each other's pockets. "The evening is young. Plenty of time to make mischief." She released his arm and dipped into a shallow curtsey. "Until later, milord." She waited for his farewell before looking about for a partner.

Her brother had managed to snag a duchess to dance with. There were plenty of loose gentlemen, huddled close together. Ah, there was one with two men, all by themselves. She approached with a smile before asking, "Would you care to dance?"

OOC:I am leaving this open to see if anyone will take the bait who might not have a partner for the dance.

Davina Plots for her Brother Then Suits Herself

Having escaped her brother she then found a place to stand and take stock of the floor and to better get her bearing on the best Candidate to approach first. A small smiled flirted about her mouth as she found each man lingering and assessing - and on one in particular - before making up her mind.

Approaching Devonshire and His Company

Her arrival was done softly and she greeted the Duke with a curtsey and offered her greetings stating how glad she was to see him back at Court raising her tone a bit as she introduced herself sure that he would not remember her and it paved the way for the other two to be aware as well.

"Mistress Wellsley Your Grace, attached to the Queen's Household and sister to Viscount Baintree, and I have come to ask a favor - this night is all topsy turvy with announcements and now dancing and it is to that I appeal to this Lady."

She smiled across to the younger girl stepping a bit closer as if sharing secrets.

"My brother has taken it upon himself to think he will go without any partners this night and so we have made a wager (a little white lie) and as I intend to Win I am in search of Champions for my Cause. You must not think ill of me for under normal situations I would not be so Bold.

"Might I ask if you are free to dance this night and if so will you join - with the Duke's permission naturally and yours if need be."

She gave a small curtsey to the Gentlemen who she guessed might be the elder brother or heaven forbid a husband!

"And in return I shall offer my services if I might be of some help."

She was charming and her unaffected manner she hoped would win them over and she Prayed that this girl was not some new-come to Court too afraid of Everything.

"I am sorry to rush but I needs must hasten to find a few more for the King shall arrive soon and I am already promised to the Dutch Ambassador for the first."

Blonds & Brunettes

It was encouraging that Mall was being sociable. It gave Basildon the hope that he might be able to win a dance with her after all. She played along with the thesis of their approach, mentioning breeches in a way to suggest that some lady might appear at the ball in breeches or, perhaps, wore a pair beneath her skirts. That would not be convenient.

"I do not doubt no one here stole it. In fact it was never stolen in the first place," he played along. "I am certain it was merely misplaced," Louis offered with an amused smile. His virtue, of course, had been freely given when he was young.

As for breeches, Louis was married to a lady that favored them. He would have to agree with Buckingham that ladies looked their finest in breeches. Dresses were pretty and fashionable, but they did little to whet one's appetite. A low cut bodice could do the trick, but not a voluminous skirt.

When Mall invited him to join the gathering, Louis nodded his acceptance. "I would enjoy the company." He moved closer into the ranks of the ladies. "Are we not dancing because we are here to protect your esteemed brother from the throng of ladies that he imagines will descend on him if they get half the chance?" he jested, pretending that he did not think the Duke could hear them. "If that is the case, then my cousin should dance with him and save us all the trouble. No one can ask His Grace to dance while he is dancing. It is the perfect defense really," he theorized aloud. "The rest of you could fill his dance card surely; but, I say that the Duke of Buckingham is renown for getting out of more difficult situations than this. With a bit of guile and strategy, I dare say I would wager that His Grace would come through this menace unscathed." His feigned seriousness was thinly veiled.

When Nicci suggested that the goal be skirts and vice, Louis reminded her, and the audience around them "cousin, you may recall that I have given up chasing skirts and vice. I am a reformed man."

It was then that she squeaked, no doubt to get the attention of the Duke. He was waiting for her to ask George to dance, but she commented on finding his lost virtue. He had not been ready for that and tried to hide a smile. "I think my virtue long gone. More likely it is the Christmas spirit under there. It is known to be merry."

John

Devonshire and Catherine took only a few steps away before the elderly earl whispered some advice into the young girl's ear. She seemed to be grateful for it.

Meanwhile, behind John, Elizabeth Monck was still nearby, having been abandoned by her husband (who was escorting her sister Frances into the company of the Earl of Dorset). She did not mind. Unfortunately for Henaege Finch Senior, he happened to come near Elizabeth and she stopped him. Rather than ask him to dance, John might hear her ask him if she could sue a courtier for saying unflattering things about her husband. The Royal Chancellor tried to be patient in his answer.

Davina Joins

Before the Earl of Devonshire and Catherine could move on John Burgoyne, Davina arrived seeking to embroil young Catherine into some scheme to get a dance for her brother. John would be close enough to hear her request.

"Miss Wellsley," the Earl began, "I think you are confusing me with my cousin William Cavendish, the Duke of Newcastle on Tyne. He passed away earlier this year. I am William Cavendish, Third Earl of Devonshire. I do not think we look much alike but we are and were both old," he chuckled. He seemed to take no umbrage at her mistake. Older men indulged young ladies typically. "This is Catherine Bramston, sister of John Bramston, Earl of Maldon, standing right behind us. You were probably thinking Catherine was Frances Cavendish. There are so many of us here at court." He would allow for her to claim mistake and scamper off if she wished, though Catherine seemed to be in a hurry to meet John Burgoyne.

Caroline

Lord Ogle appeared to listen politely but gave furtive appraising glances at her form.. "You played the cello at the opera, like a ... ." he stopped himself. He was about to say a commoner. She had been introduced as a lady. Ladies did not do such things. He could not imagine his father allowing one of his sisters to do such a thing.

He hid angst as best he could, but not well. Henry was trying to think of how to broach the topic to see if she might want to couple with him later. He was pretty sure that his best tactic was to ask if she was lonely. Before he got the chance, Killigrew announced the dance was to begin, even in the absence of the King. I'll ask her later.

"Yes, shall we go?" He offered his arm and escorted her to the dance area.

Catriona

Rochester went on his way, in search of a stiff drink. Cat decided to test her luck on a random lord. A couple were nearby. one blond and one dark haired. It was the dark haired one she approached, just as he was turning in her direction. "So you think she will let me?" he was asking his friend, but the question and potential answer died in the face of the new arrival.

In front of her was Peregrine Osbourne, the disgraced Earl of Danby's second son. Beside him was George Churchill. "Lady Alyth if I recall," Osbourne declared. He assumed that she knew him, though he was not exactly sure that they had ever been formally introduced. "I would be delighted to dance with you."

John, Lady Ablemarle, and Nottingham

John was away from Devonshire and Catherine but he gave a small wave when Davina acknowledged him. He’d already met her and, while it was brief, had a generally positive opinion of her. And that was aside from Sophia’s suggestion she might be of help. But he was too far away to hear what was going on or participate in the conversation.

Lady Ablemarle was closer. John’s brow furrowed as she brought up lawsuits over words. Apparently he wasn’t the only one frustrated. The answer was yes, speaking ill of a peer was covered by the same laws that made it a crime to speak ill of the King. Though, being a married woman, Lord Ablemarle would have to make the case. Lady Ablemarle was a femme-covert.

Regardless, John considered using the law unwise. It certainly hadn't helped York much. Even when he won cases after being accused of Catholicism and other plots it didn't stop the rumors.

John turned and joined the conversation casually enough, “What d-d-did the c-c-courtier say? Who were they?” He asked, curious.

Thomas was nodding his head as the Earl spoke. He was making some sense. Perhaps it was a good idea to scout out the ladies at the ball. What was the worst thing that could happen?

"Horribly embarrassing yourself" the taunting voice in his head spoke. He gave the tiniest of shrugs.

Thomas took the Earl of Arlington's "advice" and returned his attention to the crowd, looking for anyone that seemed relatively interesting.

"Do you have any suggestions on where, or who, to start with?" he gave a quick glance over to his plastered companion.

He wasn't too happy with the plan, but he felt like he should do something else beside standing around and drinking.

Charles and Sophia

Sophia watched Esteban's retreating back, curious as to who he intended to speak to, but she didn't see him join any of the many groups gathered in the hall. Maybe he really did want to get away from me. He's probably not happy that I have, so far, been proved right. The first gentleman we spoke to praised my voice and not the more disreputable parts of my performance. Unlike my husband, the English seem able to differentiate between art and reality.

Did she detect a bit of sympathy in Lord Chatham's blue gaze? If so, then her plan was working. She looked like an unhappy, neglected wife whose husband cared nothing for her. And that assessment was not far from the truth. He was cool toward her and showed her no affection. She just didn't mind as much as she pretended she did, for she understood the reason for his aloofness. Sophia belonged to his master, not to him. Perhaps he had been told to be distant. If so, he was only following orders. As long as he didn't restrict her freedom overmuch, she would not complain.

Charles agreed that they should find places on the dance floor. She reached out to take his arm but when he raised his chin, she followed his gaze and realized she was standing under a sprig of mistletoe. Another splash of color blossomed across her cheeks and she smiled disarmingly. “Never let it be said that we are lacking in Christmas spirit.”

She closed her eyes as he leaned toward her and a pleasurable thrill shimmered down her spine when she felt his lips briefly brush hers. Although she was married, her teenage hormones were still raging and it had been nearly two months since she had been with Juan. It was only natural that she found his kiss and his closeness enticing.

Sophia wasn't certain what to say when he straightened up. 'Thank you,' seemed a bit out of place, and 'I enjoyed that very much,' was inappropriate. So she just smiled again, placed her small hand upon his arm, and accompanied him to the dance floor.

continued here.

Davina With Apologies then Moving On

Aware that she had made a mess of her introduction there was nothing to it but to carry on.

"Ah. Indeed. You are kindness itself Sir William, and I can only blame my haste for it. And you as well Lady Catherine for the listening of it! Lord Maldon has my acquaintance already and I am please to see he has a sister now come to Court."

Sensing that she had best retreat she then offered a curtsey to them adding that her offer to help in anyway was still firm. There was no hurry to her steps and any viewing would note nothing out of the ordinary - that she felt her face was aflame and the desire to bury her head reflect internally.

Moving out into the crowed Hall she continued to look as promised but some of the desire had evaporated as her gaze took in those already paired or pairing up and she was to the Dutch Ambassador. Any thoughts of her Brother had to be pushed back a she went in the direction of her own dancing partner.

After it she intended to secure her own partners and as she made her way noticed Susan Herbert and then Nicolette one in the company of her Lover the other now attached to Buckingham - it would have to be the Duke she decides.

John

Elizabeth was surprised that John had been eavesdropping. Finch supposed that perhaps she had spoken too loudly.

The Duchess knew John in the way one recalls distant relatives. Finch could not recall if they had been introduced formally.

"Hateful things," came the reply from Elizabeth. She certainly had no intention of repeating such slanderous phrases. "They were male members of the court." She looked in the direction of a distant gathering. "I have a good mind to hire a solicitor."

"Litigation is very expensive and time consuming Your Grace," Finch reminded her. "In such a case the proceedings would be public and the objectionable phrases would be uttered repeatedly, with the defendants claiming that the statements were true. You can do as you wish, but one must be well armored against rude remarks to survive court."

Thomas

Arlington took pity on the young man and gave it some thought, his eyes roaming the hall. "Over there standing beside the two older women sitting and knitting," he recommended. "I believe those are the Dwight girls. They might be good introduction into court. I am told they are all nice.

Looking further he noted "Ellen Doolitte is standing over there next to her father. She is said to be looking for a lord to wed. Her father is a Baronet and is a wealthy ship owner. It might be a a grand alliance for a naval man such as yourself."

One last pass caused him to comment on "Fiona McBain is that beauty standing alone over there. Beware the pretty ones Thomas. She is a sister to Lady Alyth, a Scottish noblewoman who gave birth to a daughter to the King. Fiona has something of a checkered past. It is said that the King himself has taken an interest in her future. If you are up for danger at the outset, she could be the one."

Davina

Though free to approach the assembly around Buckingham, Davina would note Marius de Vries, the Dutch Ambassador approaching. It seemed as though he was presenting himself for the first dance.

John, Lady Ablemarle, and Finch

John had overheard rather than purposefully eavesdropping. They were standing close together to start with and she wasn’t being quiet.

Ablemarle had one other connection to John: he was Lord Lieutenant of John’s home shire. But he didn’t know the duke well. He didn’t think Ablemarle owned lands in Essex either, his family seat being in Dorset. John took both as evidence of the man’s unsuitability for the job.

As for Finch, Lord Winchilsea had married the half-sister of some of John’s first cousins in 1674. John had been at the wedding but he didn’t recall if he’d met the Lord Chancellor either. If he had, it was obvious neither of them considered it memorable. Mistress Wycliffe had also promised to speak well of him to her cousin, but John hadn’t heard from her since last season.

Elizabeth remained vague, which lead John to suspect it wasn’t as bad as she was making out and she knew it. “You should privately c-c-consult your husband and see what he wishes to do, if anything.” John said. “And he m-m-might ask my Lord Newcastle, or Devonshire, or any of his other f-f-family. If he w-w-was insulted by men, he should be allowed to choose his response before it’s aired abroad.” John was trying to gently point out Lady Ablemarle was trying to decide something that should be left to her husband.

“If he decides to pursue litigation, then I am sure my lord will t-t-talk with him.” John doubted that would happen, though. He gave a casual half bow to the Lord Chancellor. "The L-l-lord Maldon, at your service. The third Lord Warwick's f-f-first wife was my cousin." And so his children from that marriage were also John's cousins and half-siblings to his children by his second wife, which included Lady Winchilsea.

The Hunt for Soldiers

It appeared that Heather had managed to stun Ambrose, but she paid it no mind, instead a small wolvish smile appeared as her old friend challenged her to kiss as many soldiers as possible. "What a brilliant idea," she murmured even as she nodded to his departing back.

She gave Ambrose a wink "Well, Taa.. see you later perhaps, in the Privy Garden." With a wave of her hand the redhead positively bounced through the ballroom, looking around for her next target. Chatham, Grey, Turnbull, she'd already considered them conquered. No, this needed something fresh, a real challenge.

Ogle. Well, perhaps later. He appeared occupied. Her green eyes moved through the room. Rupert, was Beverley even close.. Legge, Churchill .. both were piquant for being part of the same household. Eyes narrowed. Douglas. No, never him. He appeared occupied and she'd never deign to appear desperate.

Damn, she was spoiled for choice.,, and at the same time desperate to claim a partner for the dance was upon them. A pout crept upon her full red lips. Then she spied Lady Albemarle talking to Finch.. and she just couldn't resist. It wasn't like she wanted the old man in her bed, but she so desperately wanted to discomfit the elderly lady whispering in his ear.

Moving through the crowd Heather made sure she stood before the couple in a respectable distance, dropping into a picture perfect curtsy that displayed all her charms. "My Lord," the redhead breathed huskily to Finch a voice meant to carry "Forgive me for the awkwardness, but I do believe it is lady's night this Christmas. Will you lead me out to the dancefloor?"

Archived