JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Yacht Race - Friday afternoon-evening

Defiance

The Queen's Platform

“Very true,” Sophia replied, though Esteban managed to be both overprotective and uninterested. She couldn’t tell the Queen about the unusual aspects of their marriage. Esteban was more of a protector than a husband. His duty was to keep her safe when she was away from Juan and provide a cover for their affair. He didn’t seem to be very fond of her as a person. His loss, she thought.

Her Majesty focused on her when she spoke of her costume. She seemed quite curious and Sophia was eager to explain it to her. Lord Mountjoy intervened at that moment and the opportunity was lost. Maybe they could return to the subject later.

“Your lady wife is a lovely woman," she said after Queen Karoline bid him to join them. “I’ve had the opportunity to converse with her during past seasons and she was always kind and gracious.” She wondered if he spoke German too.

She didn’t bet on the next race, though she did find out who the Margrave was. By his title, she knew he was German, although she had not known that he was Lady Dorothea’s brother. Sophia became as engrossed in the race as her companions. At first it seemed as if Buckingham would win, but the Margrave beat him by a hair.

The petite Countess watched the Queen and Lady Dorothea celebrate, wishing she could join in but aware of her limitations. She added her lyrical voice to the cheers. As soon as they took their seats again, she smiled at Dorothea. “Herzlichen Glückwunsch. Sie müssen sehr stolz auf ihn sein.“*

*Congratulations. You must be very proud of him.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sarah and Chatham 

"Well whatever happened - if anything, will as you say have no effect on the outcome."

He was offering a suggestion back

"A composition or some music is far too readily available so hardly creative."

She made to set him straight. She knew her worth about Court.

"That is not to say that such things I wouldn't appreciate given under different circumstances."

"Rest assured that dress wearing is not amongst any forfeit i might think of."

"It would not suit you at all."

She gave pause to the thought of undressing before a mental shake was applied.

"Well since the first one has already be guaranteed then as to a 'task of my own choosing'  ....."

She let her gaze once again roam over his person before going back to rest on his face.

"We are far too early into introductions to be truly Outlandish so perhaps tis best if I stick to the mundane after all." 

"Will you agree to that then?"

"Let me request more than one dance at the Masque then?"

One brow was raised slightly as she waited for his reply.

"And as for your creativity, well, time enough for that to be discovered."

She smiled up at him sure that he would indeed be returning to her side going forward. She was no Libertine rather very discreet about her personal wants. That there was a pull between them was clear by the dialogue and banter they both enjoyed. He was she guessed the type of man that liked to Hunt but she was no Sacrifice at his alter. A willing participant more like.

Langdon and Dundarg

Douglas revealed that Fiona had other lovers.  It did not surprise him as she was a libertine at heart and he had suspected she had taken a fancy to more than one soldier at Somerset Palace.  Yet, he felt an odd mix of emotions, including relief and jealousy.

In the first case, the fact that her brother knew she had multiple lovers gave Charles a basis for declining to marry Fiona.  There had also been that matter of her losing her maidenhood to a Scottish assassin.  In his mind, one did not marry libertines.  One married proper girls and had fun with libertines.  So, this allowed him to speak with Douglas about Fiona with a bit less awkwardness.  He had privately dreaded having a conversation with the Scot about his affair with Fiona.  Now, the tensions were more eased.

On the other hand, with no justification for it, Charles felt jealous that Fiona had shared herself with another.  It was a silly double standard to be sure, especially since Charles had shared himself with a number of ladies, including an affair with his subordinate Sam Gillis.  There was no rational explanation or justification.  He would have been fine with her marrying another or becoming a mistress to a powerful person like York, but taking up with another soldier, for example, just seemed wrong.  He would have been happy to have continued their affair, but the friendship with Cat and the awkwardness of Dundarg's presence caused Charles to do the right thing -- not marry her, but end the affair.

"She was with a married man?" he asked quietly.  "I hope it is not another soldier in our regiment."  That was who he suspected but it seemed impolite to ask the precise identity here.  "The wife must have been wealthy," he noted, mostly to himself.

"So it is sorted now?" he asked quietly.  "Anything or any one I should be on guard for? "  If he did not know the identity, he could hardly stop the assassin from trying again; but, she was not under his protection any more.

"It was the least I could do," he answered in response to the Captain's thanks.  In fact, that statement was true in more than one way, though not intended to be.  How could he explain the affair to Douglas in a way that would not cause a scene?  "Your sister and I grew ... close during this crisis.  I apologized to Cat and I apologize to you for the inappropriateness of the situation."  In good English form, it was the most business-like way of explaining the affair.  He had been weak.  He was always weak with ladies he liked.  But, she made it impossible to resist her, at least to Langdon's mind.  Yet, he could not explain the seduction to her sibling.  He had tried with Cat, but she threw him out.  A gentleman was supposed to be stronger.  It was Langdon's vice that he was not.

Sarah and Chatham

"You are right. It would take a truly superlative seamstress to disguise my unfortunately mannish shoulders," Charles said, unreasonably proud of himself for managing to keep a straight face.

In truth he was mostly just pleased and a little relieved that Sarah did not seem to hold his uncharacteristic failure of wit against him. It was a fortunately rare occurrence for him to find himself at loss so, but he always found it irritating. Sarah's gaze wandering over his form was a most effective balm on that irritation, thankfully, and her chosen forfeit wiped any thought of it from his mind. 

"I agree to that right willingly," he said, inclining his head. "I assume, of course, that the challenge of finding and identifying you at the masque is part of the forfeit?"

He had underestimated Sarah a little, Charles reflected. He had known that she was sharp and witty, but he had not expected that she knew how to play, too.

King and Kingston

The advice for besting the Margrave's yacht was to compliment the crew.  At first, it seemed counter-intuitive because it ran the risk of the crew trying to prove their King right by besting his vessel.  Yet, Kingston knew his men better than anyone. "Very well then," he agreed.

The Margrave's yacht arrived next to the royal yacht and the King moved to engage the Margrave and crew.  "Your Grace has proven himself to be a formidable racer," the King complimented the Margrave with a loud voice.  "And Kingston's crew is a fine and noble crew.  They have served Kingston and King loyally.  Now let us ready this last race and put on a fine show for the crowd."  Heads were nodding among both crews.  "And the loser shall owe a social favor to the winner?" he inquired of the Margrave, who nodded his agreement, since he could hardly refuse in front of so many witnesses.  The stage was set to win and to compel the Margrave to leave his sister in England.

With a wave of the hand, the King signaled the trumpeteers that he was ready.  He looked to the Margrave for a similar signal of readiness.  When received, the horns blared and the race was on.

Frances and Duncan 

"Your Lady Mother is a Duchess, my lady. She has every right to look daunting". Except that Duncan was a soldier that had faced death more than once so, although meeting Her Grace Newcastle would be outside his comfort zone, he was not afraid. I must not meet her empty-handed. A small gift, perhaps some sweets, would show my respect. Duncan made a mental note to send a servant to London, to purchase something adequate. Some French nougat and perhaps some bonbons ought to do. If the servant left that very night, he could sleep in Melville House, and then be at the store's door early in the morning.

"If my company has lent you the strength to rise above the petty rumours of the envious, my lady, I am glad for it. But if an ill-named gentleman..." the Lowlander almost spat the word, "dares say something untoward and you are offended by it, let me know. He will rue the day he was born, I assure you". Although his words were uttered in a polite tone, the meaning was clear. A duel would be in order if anyone spoke ill of Lady Frances.

Many days in the future the Viscount would smile as he realized that he had married Ophelia because he did not want to kill a man over his choice of wife, while at their first meeting he would readily do it if one were to speak offensively about the second Newcastle daughter.

When she changed the topic to boats, he surveyed their surroundings before answering. "I think it might be possible after the last race is over". Another pause as he focused on the river. "Yes, I think we would be able to rent a small boat. The weather is pleasant, so it would be enjoyable, yes". She does not want to part company yet. I dare not assume anything, but it does make me glad. Duncan made it a point to inquire as to the price of a barge once the court season was over. There was a jetty close to the front gate of Melville House in Chelsea, and it might be a good idea to have a barge tied there.

"As for the King leaving, I am not sure he would go to London immediately, but I do think he might go to another of the Royal Palaces, to spend time with the Royal Family away from court". Although the King enjoyed his closet at Whitehall, he also enjoyed his privacy. Adjourning court allowed him to chose his company, so it was a likely possibility. "Aye, it is crowded in Windsor. If Christmas season is spent here, I will make it a point to rent a small house or a suite of rooms at the Toes. The castle is close enough to the town so it would not be a bother coming and going".

And she asked about Scotland. She want to know more about me... "Scotland is cool, windy, and foggy. Her beauty is a bit wild and savage, but if you are kind to her land and her people, she will be kind to you in return". With most of his lands being in Lothian, Duncan's grain production was abundant. Other parts were not so, though. "In the Lowlands we grow grain, harvest some timber, and fatten cattle. In the Highlands, cattle and sheep are much more abundant, as the land is harsher. It is still beautiful, though, and the Highlanders are a proud people that will defend you with their lives if they call you friend". Unless you are the Duke of Lauderdale, that is. Then they will string you up and use a grappling hook to remove the skin of your back strip by strip.

Suddenly, the horns blared, and the race was on. The Scott offered his arm to his companion, and moved towards the spot where she would be able to watch the approaching yachts best.

Frances and Duncan 

He spoke of defending her against and she could see clearly his frame of mind on the topic.

So it was with a gentle hand to his arm followed she sought to to calm

"Your company is indeed most welcom'd by me and always will be. That you are so quick to come to my defense speaks highly of your Principles."

"How could I not feel secure yet will caution you Lord Melville to please exercise restraint should such things ever occur."

"You are far too dear to insure the wrath of His Majesty no matter how Noble the deed might be."

She was not dismissing his words at all for she was well aware that a mans emotions can run fast and quick when a Lady is involved plus Dueling was outlawed.

"And besides I do not see myself as that important."

Her self-deprecation was an attempt to quiet him down yet there was a lot of Truth in those words. She did not see herself as anyone of great import at Court - indeed there were many young ladies like herself that were far prettier and witty and graceful and capable  .... the list would be endless if she actually wrote it all out.

Best to turn the conversation  .....

She had not meant that TODAY they must go out on the River but wouldn't correct it.

Indeed more time spent together would allow for them both to find the good as well as the bad about the other and to be certain that taking things beyond a friendship was really wanted.

"I think that would be most pleasant. But only if you think it will not be disruptive to what goes on after the Races."

She would leave the decision and planning of it to him.

He seemed to think that His majesty would go on to another Palace and not Whitehall.

"Since he is KING I suppose that his Courtiers only think and see him as that not realizing that He also is a family man."

"And just as we all do wishes for quiet times and space away from all the prying eyes and fawning."

"Is it not funny to think of Christmas that is some four months away yet realizing that if Windsor it is so much planning must start now. I am at the mercy of my Family naturally. The Duke does not always prefer Court but to not be present is to not be Seen and to not be Seen can be a social Death. I quite like that time of year, well save for the cold, as the air is crisp and clean and smells of woodsmoke  ...."

"There I go again rattling on  ..."

She smiled up at him not sorry at all. It was her intent to feed as much information about herself as she could so he would know her more.

She watched his face as he spoke of Scotland and the place that was his.

"I can see how well you Love that place for it is writ on your face. You have every right to be Proud and I can only imagine how hard it must be to be away for long periods of time. I have only the countryside where my father's Seat is. I grew up there as a child and even at my age I will oft times feel the need to go  ... How funny this is! I had this conversation with Lady Toledo when we spoke of Lord Toledo acquiring his own country residence for the child and if she would like the quietness and being able to stay away from London for weeks. I said that I was doubtful she could!"

Horns sounded and the next Race was upon them. 

He offered her his arm and she accepted.

"Who will win? Who will win?"

She was excited and leaned out once again to try to see better.

Langdon and Dundarg

That, right there, was what annoyed Douglas about Langdon. Professionally he was a good soldier and good to work with, if a little keen to lock up everyone as a first solution. As a gentleman he was generally polite and even handed, and had certainly been so to Douglas. But as a man his behaviour towards women was something that Douglas disagreed with. In his book, it didn't matter whether the lady was proper or libertine, you did the right thing by her. If she wanted to shag your lanky bones until sunrise and then move on with her life, you didn't try to keep her to you, and if she - or her guardian - was looking for marriage, you didn't touch her unless you were prepared to go all the way. That was why he'd kissed Sophia Toledo and not Sofia de Castelo; he'd wanted to marry the former and not the latter. It was a view that stemmed from a respect for women that not all men shared, but then Douglas had grown up in a largely female household. 

When Douglas revealed some of the truth of the matter about Fiona's stalker to him Langdon, after a moment's contemplation, opined that the wife must be wealthy. "She is." The big Scotsman agreed quietly. "As is the husband. He's nae so'jer."* He assured the other man; no need to worry about Fiona working her way through the regiment. 

Was there anything else that Langdon could do? It was a generous offer. "If ye see Fiona oot wi'oot mysel', Cat er Cat's guards, I wuid coont it a favour if ye wuid see her back tae the hoose."** He asked, since the other man offered. The more allies they had in this, the better. Still, it shouldn't be necessary; Fiona had given her word. 

Then Charles earned something of a redemption in Douglas's eyes by admitting to what the Scot had thought he might have to accuse him of; having a relationship with Fiona. "Aye, I ken." He said gravely, wanting to keep this civil, for Fiona's sake. "An' I ken Cat haed nae request fer Fiona's hand frae ye." He added with a glance at the other man. "But thin's hae changed, an' the life o' a mistress suits Fiona better thain that o' a wife."*** Douglas would easily admit. And he wanted to make it clear to Charles that Fiona's current situation was more formal than a simple fling. 

And Charles apologised. Once Douglas might have thrown that back in the man's face, but with the revelation of Fiona's relationship with Lauderdale, suddenly it was better this way. "I accept yer apology." He said formally. "But I wuid arsk o' ye ane thing." He added. This was where things were going to get complicated but Douglas had made promises and he was damned if he was going to break them. Mind you, he was probably damned anyway.  "Fiona misses yer friendship, an' Cat forbade her tae see ye. I wuid hae ye join us fer supper at the Hen's Toes taenicht, if ye wuid, sae that she micht talk tae ye." He said. Hopefully that would make Fiona happy. "My request is that ye mak it verra clear tae Fiona that yer nae int'rested in sleepin' wi' her agin."+ He said bluntly. That had to end, else Lauderdale might well find out.

"Susan Herbert suits ye better."++ Douglas added, by way of observation. She was too naive to pick up on an philandering by Langdon, he thought. But if Langdon didn't play nicely, Douglas was quite sure he could stick a few spokes in that particular wheel. But he'd rather not. He'd really rather not. Everything was starting to work out. 

Subtitles
* "She is. As is the husband. He's no soldier."
** "If you see Fiona out without myself, Cat or Cat's guards, I would could it a favour if you would see her back to the house. 
*** "Yes, I know. And I know Cat had no request for Fiona's hand from you. But things have changed, and the life of a mistress suits Fiona better than that of a wife."
+ "I accept your apology. But I would ask of you one thing. Fiona misses your friendship, and Cat forbade her to see you. I would have you join us for supper at the Hen's Toes tonight, if you would, so that she might talk to you. My request if that you make it very clear to Fiona that you're not interested in sleeping with her again. 
++ "Susan Herbert suits you better."

Langdon and Dundarg

Unlike the Baron, the Earl had grown up in a house of boys.  His father was a soldier and so was the eldest son.  Charles arrived at court in 1675 as an orphan and naive of all things involving ladies.  He thought it scandalous to steal kisses from ladies that first season and kept count, as if there were some contest.  It had taken him a year to become a ladies man.  It all started with merry events at New Market.  While Douglas was fornicating with Heather, Charles was corrupted by the Duchess of Cleveland, and enjoying a tryst with Sam Gillis in disguise.

It was no surprise that Charles, once having tasted the forbidden fruit,  became enamored with assignations, and several ladies followed. All things scandalous seemed blessed at the court of the Merry Monarch. There had been that drunken night in Brighton in '76 where he and Fiona had been intimate, but she remembered it better than him.   And so began the relationship between Fiona and Charles.  Although Fiona sought more, he sought to fight it thereafter because of his friendship with Catriona, succumbing at last earlier in the year.  There was now a connection that was difficult to ignore. 

Based on the Captain's description, Fiona had found herself a wealthy benefactor.  Charles could not help but wonder as to the identity.

There was an invitation to join Douglas and Fiona for dinner.  Fiona had requested it.  "It would be my pleasure to join you," Langdon replied too quickly, as this dinner could be torture.  Charles could imagine sitting at a table with Douglas and Fiona and her touching his leg and giving him wanton looks whenever her half-brother looked away.  She was enough of a minx to do that, and it could fluster him in front of Douglas.  Would they discuss the sordid details of the new relationship she had with a great man, or would they be restricted to discussing the weather in the common room?  It could be fun, or it could be Hell.

He looked away into the crowd as it gave him a moment to think while appearing to be doing his duty.  Douglas asked him to make clear to Fiona that he was not interested in a further affair.  That was going to be a problem.  Fiona would disrobe and cling to him crying, like the last time.  There was no way he could resist her, and she likely knew it.  If she was a mistress of royalty, for example, he had learned his lesson in a conversations with the King and York.  But what if her affair was with non-royalty, or even a foreigner often away from court?  His mind wandered.

Douglas accepted his apology, but drove the knife home about not asking Cat for Fiona's hand.  This new arrangement of Fiona's had saved a potential fight.  "Thank you."  The mention of Susan Herbert did not lend itself to any answer.  If Charles agreed, that could insult Fiona. If he disagreed, it would insult Susan.  It was best to say nothing about this or most anything else on the topic.

"I understand," he replied at last.  The less said the better.  "What time should I arrive?"

Langdon and Dundarg

Douglas wasn't trying to torture Charles, he was simply trying to find a way to make the situation work for everyone as much as possible that wouldn't result in repercussions down the track that he didn't even want to contemplate. He knew that Fiona had no desire to end her relationship with Charles which was why he made the request to his fellow Life Guard, assuming that the other man possessed a measure of self control. Perhaps if he'd realised just how alike Charles and Fiona were... 

But as far as the Baron was concerned, things were now settled. "Cam at nine o'clock, if ye weel."* He said. That should give plenty of time for Lauderdale to do what he would and leave, and Fiona to sort herself out if, as Douglas feared, her patron shagged her in Douglas bed. I am sleeping on the floor tonight. He would book the private dining room for the supper, which would give Fiona and Charles the chance to talk, but without the temptation of a bed. If Charles was true to his word and Fiona too shagged to be interested anyway, that would hopefully be the end of things there. 

Considering the matter solved, Douglas clapped Charles on the shoulder. "I'm glad we haed we haed this wee chat." He said earnestly. The big man had been concerned that things involving Fiona might end with a duel. "Yer a friend o' the fam'ly an' I wuid keep things that wa'." It was vastly preferable to the alternative. "Lets watch oor King reward oor trust in him."** He said, turning his attention towards the boats. 

With any luck Douglas and Cat would have a little chat - and she wouldn't try to kill him, Fiona would birth a boy in however many months, Lauderdale would acknowledge the child as his and Fiona as his mistress, and Charles would understand what a canonball he had avoided. Then everyone could be happy and get on with benefitting their lives. And a foll-roll-a-diddle, a-diddle-hi-hey. 

Subtitles
* "Come at nine o'clock, if you will."
** "I'm glad we had this little chat. You're a friend of the family and I would keep things that way. Let watch our King reward our trust in him."

Eleanore, Henry, and the Italians

As Cesare stated his opinion regarding telescopes, Henry smiled happily. "I guess others will step up and find more practical uses as time passes". The Baron said this thinking more about his research on eyepieces and the rainbow problem, but it was probably true to sky-looking telescopes too.

Mary then changed the topic to jewellery. "I would be happy to help in any capacity I can, Signore". Eleanore then suggested using the shapes of constellations. "An excellent idea, my dear", Lord Grey smiled at her. "I am certain that beautiful pieces can be designed using diamonds, sapphires, Murano glass, and other beautiful materials".

"It was a huge success, Principessa, although I do not say it proudly. I am just happy that I was able to turn the Court's attention skyward, even if for a moment". Anything that pointed others towards natural philosophy was a worthwhile endeavour to Henry, almost as worthwhile as his research. "I will probably hold another one the next season Court is in London, so we can go to Flamel House in Greenwich. The telescope there is an amazing piece of machinery". It would probably take some convincing of the Astronomer Royal, but that would be the best place to hold the event. "Or perhaps the top of the Tower of London, if the trip to Greenwich would be too long..."

Henry paused, realizing that would be months off. "But if you two have nothing else to do tonight..." he had to include Cesare both out of politeness and for propriety's sake, "we could watch the moon and the stars from the top of the Castle's tower, just like we did last night". The Baron then turned to Eleanore. "You are more than welcome to come with us, of course".

Is she interested in Signore d'Este? I should ask her at some point, I think...

Davina and Anne-Elisabeth approached by a mysterious gentleman

“That’s a good project for after the season ends. Do you know of any charts that already exist that I can memorize?” It seemed to Anne-Elisabeth that children would probably learn who was related to whom that way. “Then I can just add to it.”

She nodded to Davina’s question. “I did learn about my own family’s ancestors. My mother was an only child, but my father had an older brother who died unmarried and childless. My father inherited his title and lands. My late husband’s mother is still alive but he has no other relatives. I was allowed to keep his title, but since he had no heirs, it will eventually become extinct.

“And yes, I’m very curious.” Her eyes lit up. “What if it turns out that I am a distant cousin of the King?” She laughed lightly. “I think that’s a connection that everybody wishes for.”

Her friend said nothing to her offer to help design the garden. Maybe she wanted to do it on her own. If so, she knew why Lady Oakham’s idea of a competition did not appeal to her and it wasn’t just because the lady in question was pushy and rude.

“Yes, I plan on going to the Masque. My costume has been ready for weeks.”

Wait. Davina wasn’t going? She was about to ask why when a male voice asked if they knew who had won the last race. Looking up, Anne-Elisabeth beheld a fairly attractive middle-aged gentleman dressed in black. Was he a widower, she wondered, or did he have a fondness for somber hues? “I confess I haven’t been paying much attention.” She glanced over at Davina, wondering if she knew the answer to his question.

Francis watched his king work the magic of royal words on common folk who did not usually hear them directly. There was little chance his crew would want to best their King in front of an audience after that praise. 

"Good luck, Your Highness," Francis called to the Margrave.

Knowing his own crew, Francis turned his attention to His Majesty's crew. "They will try to beat us to the better position, but they shan't risk running one of His Majesty's yachts into the other. Keep your lines for the better position and they will maneuver expectedly. If we gain the superior position on the river, your skills in manipulating the sails shall win the day for the King."

Taking up a position near the King, he awaited the trumpets, ready to jump in where need be.

The Queen's Platform

"Danke," Dorothea responded to Sophia's congratulations.  The arrival of Lord Mountjoy did not become a conversation in that moment.  Perhaps he merely joined the platform to witness the last race with the persons most interested in its outcome.  Two Life Guard officers stood nearby, deep in conversation about some light topic, no doubt.  Lord Beverley seemed more interested in observing everything as a caretaker might.

When the trumpets blared, an excitement coursed through the crowd.  Dorothea, given her smallish stature, attempted to position herself to avoid guards blocking her view of the river.  She and a host of female eyes on the platform were transfixed on the two yachts as they came into view.

"The King is ahead!" came the cry of many as the vessels made the turn.  The King's yacht had achieved the favorable position but the Margrave's yacht was not far behind.  Cheers coursed through the crowd as the yachts came closer to the finish line.

A roar accompanied the finish.  The King had beaten the Margrave by a full length!  Though disappointed that her brother had lost, Dorothea clapped for the winners, eyes focusing on the King and the blond-haired gentleman beside him.  The Queen laughed and took to her feet again in celebration.  Her maids started dancing again and the guards raised their arms in salute and celebration.

Davina and Anne-Elisabeth approached by a mysterious gentleman 

"No you have it all wrong."

She smiled at her friend.

"It is a very convoluted method and one that must be shown. If you truly wish to do this then let us two meet once things here have been decided - Back to London for Christmas, another place, or back here to Windsor."

"It is a very good occupation for those winter nights."

"What about your Grandfather - did he have siblings? They would be your Great Aunts and Uncles. If they married and had children then those would be your second cousins."

"And the same for your mother's parents. Once you know this then you can begin to make the kinships that are shared through marriages."

"The same for your mother-in-law. If her parents had siblings and who they married."

"This part is very import because if you can trace relationships through marriages to other families then you can also claim a kinship to them."

"And you just might find some that are indeed note worthy."

As to her offering regarding the garden design

"I seem to have made no advancements there. So if you are certain that you wish to help then I shall be appreciative."

It was at that moment that their conversation was interrupted by a man she did not recognize. Her gaze swept over him with a practiced ease. Interesting choice in clothing color. It was unusual to go about in such one color but perhaps it was done to proclaim his Status or some such thing.

She shook her head as well adding

"I am sorry but I am the same ..... We can ask a server if you like  ...."

She made ready to call over one if he wanted that.

The Queen’s Platform

Charles was preoccupied with his own thoughts but was aware enough to allot some attention to the race so joined, if in a somewhat subdued fashion, in the general excitement the King’s victory had caused. The excitement also forestalled any comment from the Queen so he took the opportunity to step back.

He looked around again but the crowds were also in an excited state and milling to and fro with some already hastening to collect their winnings. He had an urge to delve into the crowd and actively search for the Margravina but recognized that such an act would likely not be successful. He would stay near the Queen’s side for the Mistress of the Queen’s Robes would certainly need to rejoin her Mistress. He was beginning to worry that something untoward might have happened to Ursula and thought of approaching one of the Life Guard officers to turn out the guard to search for her but that would cause a stir so he waited with what patience he could muster.

Davina, Anne-Elizabeth and a gentleman.

The middle aged gentleman waved a hand as though shooing a pesky fly as both ladies professed not to know who the victor of the last race was. Clearly it wasn't of great interest to them. "Never mind, let us look to the future." He said with a faint smile that creased those lines at the corners of his eyes. 

"Would you object to my joining you ladies?" He asked the pair. Both seemed young and lively, and he could use a little of the energy of youth in his life at the moment. "Charles Dormer, Earl of Carnarvon, at your service." He supplied with a practiced bow and neat turn of the leg. 

He turned his hazel gaze towards the river for a moment. "As I recall, the previous heat was to determine who shall compete against His Majesty, so we shall know the answer to my question when the boats round the bend." Whomever was racing against the King's Yacht would be the winner of the previous heat, and Carnarvon would know whether he was slightly richer or poorer. He had, of course, put his money on his monarch for the final. 

There had been no mishaps and they had easily taken the lead, getting a grand wind and keeping as they whipped across the water.

Francis nearly felt bad for the Margrave, but the foreign prince had made a very good showing and had surely impressed the English court (and the Duke of Cumberland who he idolized). 

"To the victor," Francis said to the King with a jaunty bow. "Congratulations, Your Majesty."

The crowd cheering was raucous and commensurate with the excitement of their king winning the day. The King took center stage on the deck to accept the praises of the onlookers on shore, but Francis took up his typical position behind and to the side and waved his hat to the cheers.

"Who shall the victor invite to his celebratory party, Sir?" Francis asked, pulling out his flask and offering it first his royal master.

Davina, Anne-Elizabeth and a gentleman. 

Her request was dismissed and then he spoke of looking towards the future  .... and next came his invitation to join them!

At his introduction however she rose from her chair and gave him a nice curtsey in greeting then her name

"Welcome to Windsor Sir Charles. I am Mistress Wellsley, sister to Viscount Baintree."

She offered him a smile.

She would preform the introduction for her friend next

"May I present the Lady Devereaux, Countess Cambray."

She was the lowest Ranking amongst the three so it was up to her to do the Social Niceties.

Her gaze settled back on the Earl with interest. 

So here then was a new face to Court and if memory served he was a relation to  .... Pembrooke was it ... and thus to both Susan and Thomas Herbert.

She was curious as to what had brought him here.

"Not at all  ...."

Said to his request to join and she raised a hand and another chair was quickly brought where he could settle if he wished or remain standing.

"Refreshment Sir Charles  ....?"

Her glance met her friends and a slight raise of one brow meant to communicate that she should join in.

The King

The King was in fine form accepting the congratulations of all.  His smile was bright as he was most pleased that all his plans had come to fruition.  "An extra week's wages to each member of the crew," he announced, to the cheers of those on the deck.  Of course, he would need to inform his Steward or Privy Purse of this.

He waved off the offered flask, in favor of his own.  "Everyone who raced, and their family." he answered Francis. That meant the Queen, Margrave, Dorothea, Buckingham and Lord Camberwell, Cumberland nd Peg Hughes, as well as York and wife.  "Killigrew has managed a private puppet show for our private enjoyment.  Our Queen was most eager to gain a private performance of some Italian puppeteers.   I am told there will be comedy at the expense of the Pope and the French."  It was purposely a proper and lady-friendly show.  No roaring drunken exchanges.  No, this was intended to keep the Margrave sober and happy, showing that his sister would be well watched. 

The Queen

The celebrating slowed eventually and the Queen awaited the triumphant return of her husband.  This allowed her to return her attention to Sophia with a smile and then to Mountjoy, who seemed more serious than the others. Perhaps he was contemplating some legal issues.  Perhaps he had said something and she had missed it.  In all of the noise, she was lucky to hear anything.

Ursula was not with Mountjoy.  The Queen knew why.  Her Mistress of the Robe was in despair.  She needed time away.  "Lord Mountjoy," she called to him.  "Tell me you wagered on our husband and that you have some winnings to cheer."  She meant an expenditure to cheer them both.

Charles and Douglas

There was a pat on his shoulder and the Scotsman seemed content, though there was an air of warning in the Captain's words.  Charles had no plans to swive Fiona any more, not that plans could not be created under the right circumstances.  The King had warned him from single ladies and it would be just his luck to get Fiona pregnant, despite precautions. No, it was best to allow her benefactor to impregnate her, without clouds of suspicion over the parentage. 

"Right, let us go watch from the shore and escort the King back," he suggested.  It was with great joy that Charles celebrated the victory.  He was to be ten pounds richer.

They awaited the King and entourage to disembark and it was the plan for the two Life Guard officers to walk on the King's flanks, to help keep the crowd away from swarming the monarch. 

Eleanor, Henry, and the Italians

Cesare agreed with Lord Grey about Mistress Bayning’s idea for constellation-themed jewelry. “It is, indeed, a brilliant suggestiion. I can already picture it in my mind.” He made a mental note to gift her with the first piece he made on that theme. She was a very creative (and appealing) young lady.

“One of the gentlemen I do business with had a telescope. I looked through it one evening when he invited me to dinner.” He might have been more interested in the view if said business associate had not been trying to push his plain and vapid daughter at him. She had been extremely bold and had taken every opportunity to press herself against him. He had been glad when he was able to leave. Commoners could be so crass.

Maria listened avidly as Lord Grey spoke of the success of his astronomy evening and his plans for another one the next time court was held in London. She hoped that it would be held there next season, not just for that reason but because Lord Langdon had promised to show her the scrying stone that had supposedly belonged to Merlin. She knew where Greenwich was but had never heard of Flamel House. “I have heard of the Tower of London. I hope to visit the menagerie that is kept there, though going to the top of the Tower sounds much more adventurous.”

Her dark eyes widened when he offered to recreate his event just for them. “I would enjoy that immensely,” she breathed, excitement apparent in her voice. “If it’s not too much trouble.”

“I’m interested as well,” Cesare added.

Maria grinned at Eleanor. “Please say you’ll come too!”

The Queen's Platform

Lord Mountjoy did not say anything when Sophia complimented his wife. Where was she anyway? Her ice-blue gaze wandered over the courtiers on the platform, but did not find her. Was she ill? Had she quarreled with her husband? Was she out of favor with the Queen? It was none of her business but that knowledge did not quell her curiosity.

She sent Anna to the betting booth with a small wager on the last race. The petite Countess was certain that the King would win, and not just because he was the King. Francis was part of his crew and he was an accomplished captain. The two of them were a formidable team.

There was no chance to say more to the Queen for the yachts soon came into view. In her excitement, Sophia stood up … and immediately plopped back down in her chair. She could see the race well from her position next to the Queen even while seated. This time, she used more of her  extraordinary vocal power and her cheers were as loud, if not louder, than those of her companions.

The King’s yacht crossed the finish line first. Everyone on the platform began celebrating. “Congratulations, Your Majesty!” she exclaimed in English, projecting her voice so that there was no doubt that the Queen would hear her. “His Majesty was magnificent!” Queen Karoline smiled at her and Sophia grinned back. Her Majesty then asked a question of Lord Mountjoy as the cheering died down.

Sophia hoped that they would have some time to converse a bit more before everyone began to leave. In the meantime, she tried to figure out how much she had won.  Maybe it was enough that it would impress Esteban.

Frances and Duncan

"I am, and will always be, at your service, my lady". His hand moved to hers. "Perhaps I am too much of a soldier. Perhaps if such a thing were to happen, I should request permission from His Grace Charles first". The King was bound to deny his permission, but perhaps he would be displeased with whoever spoke ill against a daughter of one of his Dukes. Who knows, he just might tell me to be discrete about it. "I promise not to incur the Royal Wrath needlessly".

Lady Frances might not consider herself of importance, but there were things only blackguards did. One could speak truthful ill about a man, and act against him, that was permissible. But his wife and daughters were off limits. Duncan's father had drilled that into him. I may want to have Lauderdale die a horrible death, but his wife and daughter are off-limits. Same with Danby. I acted against him out of loyalty to the King, but I will not act against his wife or daughters. In fact, if they need for my help, I ought to give it. It is the Christian thing to do.

They would have to see what happened after the last race. If not, they could rent a boat another day.

"Christmas season is my favourite court season, especially when held in London. The river smell is not as strong, and people seem to have a milder disposition". Although at court, there was always plotting going on. "The cold south of Hadrian's Wall is not as bad. In Scotland, mulled wine, winter clothing and a good hearth fire are necessities..." his words had turned to Scotland again.

"The country has a charm and tranquility all of its own. Court is an unavoidable necessity for some of us, but sometimes I wonder if the life of a country esquire is happier than ours..." Another comment about the Toledos. "I do not think either Don Esteban or Doña Sophia would be able to be away from court for too long. He is an ambassador, after all, and she is too much of a social creature". For different reasons, but it was true. The Ambassador needed to ply his trade, while his wife would die away from social functions.

And then, horns sounded, the race was on, and they were able to see how the King won the race by a length. Celebrations are bound to last until dawn, Duncan mused. "Hurrah! Hurrah! Hurrah! Long live King Charles!" The feeling was genuine. "Perhaps we could move to a spot where we can congratulate His Grace Charles as he alights from his yacht?" It is always a good idea to greet the King, especially when he is bound to be in a good mood.

Frances and Duncan 

Their hands mingled again and he professed his Service to her if she were ever in need.

He was indeed a Knight in its true meaning.

He liked Christmas and his words were as descriptive as hers had been and she could see clearly that he had a great Love for his homeland.

"Do you know I think that a life as you describe suits you admirably."

"Yet I suspect that you too enjoy a City existence - have you ever stayed away from either place for long?"

He spoke about Lord Toledo and his wife and his views mirrored hers in this as well.

If one where looking for signs of compatibility they would not have to look far.

The Race was on!

Cheers and shouts and cries rang out grew even louder as The King emerged victorious.

The suggestion was then put that they should make their way to the finish line and to offer congratulations in person.

"Yes a fine idea Lord Melville."

She agreed and was rather secretly proud to be on his arm as they then set out.

She would meet any greetings or looks with her head held high and a challenge in her eyes.

Let anyone dare to try to say a word!

Eleanor, Henry, and the Italians

Her suggestion of constellation-themed jewellery was met with enthusiasm by both gentlemen and Eleanor basked in their approval, pinking prettily and smiling happily behind her fan. Cesare even called her idea 'brilliant'. It was nice to be listened to by the gentlemen. Mind you, even Henry had taken her ideas on board during their breakfast yesterday. Her mother had been right, it was a matter of the right word in the right place at the right time. She hoped she had given Cesare some inspiration for his work. In some ways he was like Uncle Henry, both were passionate about their calling. 

The Italian revealed that one of his business associates had owned a telescope. "Ah, another scientific mind!" What wonderful circles he must move in. Amsterdam sounded wonderful. Mind you, to Eleanor's inexperienced mind, most places she'd never travelled sounded wonderful. "And do you take the time to admire the tulips?" She asked, wondering what else he might enjoy whilst there. "I know they would draw my eye." She admitted shyly. Such bold colours; she had only seen a few in people's gardens, imported at expense, though she had heard that the Dutch had fields of them. 

Henry mentioned to Maria the possible locations for viewing the stars in London, and Maria enthused about a menagerie in the Tower of London. Wouldn't that be something to see! Perhaps she and her friend might visit there together. It would be something to look forward to next season.

Much to Eleanor's satisfaction Henry offered to set up his telescope for Maria and her cousin to view the stars tonight, adding the invitation to Eleanor almost as an afterthought. She'd been about to demure, not wanting to intrude on what might be a more intimate evening, but Maria turned to her and practically begged her to join them. Eleanor smiled. "Gladly, if I shan't be in the way." She said with a glance at Henry. But Cesare wanted to come too, as was proper given his cousin's presence, so it could be another opportunity to talk to him, and to give him someone to talk to so that Henry and Maria could converse. 

Charles and Douglas join the King's Entourage

The King's yacht crossed the line first and Douglas was five pounds richer overall, which improved his mood greatly. It also reminded him that he'd left Ellen Doolittle with the promise to return after he'd spoken to the Duke of Lauderdale. Now he'd spoken to Charles Whitehurst as well, and still hadn't returned. But his first duty was to his King and Douglas could hardly refuse the call to help protect the King. "Aye Major."* The big man acknowledged, following in Charles' wake. 

The King was adored by his courtiers, but it was exactly in the press that an assassin might hide and seek to gain access to the King's person. Dundarg was already on alert following recent events, and Windsor had a history of trouble for court. So it was that he took up his station on the riverside, blue eyes scanning the crowd for anyone or anything unusual, ready to fall in on the King's flank opposite Langdon, as soon as Charles Rex disembarked.

Ellen Doolittle Alone 

She had watched him as he had walked away intent upon his business. 

She had engaged with those about her always keeping an eye out for his tall figure. But she never saw it.

It was as the Race was won by the King and everyone made a crush to go to where HE was that she finally caught sight of him.

He was exactly here he needed to be. 

She understood with logic that his Duty was too His Majesty yet her emotional mind was unhappy that he had seemed to have forgotten her.

With a small sigh she let it go. 

What chance had she anyway? She could hardly go against her father yet she would not allow him to control her entire future either. Her marriage prospects were practically none -if you discounted the few that had been made by several merchants as well as one widower with no sons just three little daughters - of which she had said a resounding 'NO". Captain FitzJames was, in her mind, suitable in so many ways.

She had no reason to stay now and besides he held her wagering stubs and she could not ask for her winnings with no proof.

He would she thinks seek her out at some point but probably not this day. Duty was after all his first priority.

And that was as it should be.

She would never hold it against him and would accept whatever apology he offered.

Davina, Anne-Elisabeth, and a gentleman

Anne-Elisabeth agreed to meet Davina next season to discuss relationships and connections. She had been required to memorize the genealogies of the families living in Barbados, but so many of them claimed to have royal blood that she had become suspicious that they were lying at an early age. Who would be able to prove them wrong? People like her father did travel between Barbados and London, but checking credentials was not high on their list of priorities. Most of them had business to attend to.

She did want to learn, though, as she felt at a disadvantage being ignorant of such things. The Countess also promised to help her friend with the design of the garden. Maybe she would discover that she enjoyed it and take more of an interest in her own. So far she had been content to leave its care to the gardeners.

Davina had not been paying attention to the races either. The two of them had come mainly to see and be seen, though the pair of ladies they most wanted to see and be seen by did not seem to be present. Making new acquaintances was also a reason to attend events you otherwise had no interest in. It seemed as if they had done just that, through no effort of their own.

She thought that Lord Carnarvon was a bit presumptuous to invite himself to join them, but Anne-Elisabeth couldn’t deny that she was curious about him. Davina likely knew exactly who he was and who he was related to. Since her companion stood up and curtsied, he might be somebody of note, and she did the same when she was introduced. “It is a pleasure to meet you, my lord,” she said with a polite smile. “And yes, please join us.”

As Davina asked if he wanted refreshments, Anne-Elisabeth studied him rather candidly. She wasn’t the kind of lady to peek at gentlemen from behind a fan. Why had he singled them out when there were plenty of gentlemen to approach? If he was a widower, she supposed he could be looking for a wife. He was attractive, amiable, and obviously wealthy. However, unless he was a Catholic or a libertine, he was currently looking in the wrong place.

“Just beware of the ale,” she advised with an impish grin. “It bites.”

As a symptom of the unease he was feeling he was so inelegant as to fail to respond to Sophia when she addressed him and he was preoccupied enough that he failed to perceive his faux pas and rectify his behavior. If the Queen noticed his lapse she would be correct in thinking it was very unlike the gentleman she was familiar with.

As the race finished it was only a matter of time before the Queen and her entourage would make ready and depart. Charles made the decision that he would use the ensuing momentary jumble such an occasion caused to approach the Queen directly and have a, hopefully, private word.