JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Yacht Race - Friday afternoon-evening

Defiance

Frances and Duncan 

He rattled off an impressive list which made her a bit confused but she would not pry. If he wanted her to know more then he would do so.

She was pleased by that last part and gave him a small curtsey in response to his bow.

"And I must echo that as well."

He also said that he was discovering things about himself.

"I can hardly take such credit Lord Melville. Perhaps I have only made you see a different perspective in which to view things  ...."

He was aware of what Lady Toledo seemingly had such a great fondness for added that he would not to make her partake.

The Race was then on and they watched as the Margrave won and he added that part about the coming celebrations after the Races.

He then asked her about her mother and she took a moment to think before she answered him back.

"In this I think you should go in person. She will want to 'look you over' up close but you must not be bothered by it."

She wanted to make sure he understood.

"You are Viscount Melville after all and she will receive you as The Duchess which is as it should be."

"I have already said I do not think there will be objections and she will set you at ease after a few moments of conversation."

With one hand behind her back she crossed her fingers at that last bit and hoped that she had not over estimated how things would go.

"I expect she will want some explanations as to the why's but if you would tell me a time frame then I will talk to her first."

"That way she will already be assured that it is something that I am in agreement with and that there is nothing pledged between us but a 'friendship'."

It was a Truth after all.

That there might be something deeper they both seemed to have felt but at least for now a growing friendship should not be frowned upon.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sarah and Chatham 

She merely grinned at him but said nothing.

"You are correct Lord Chatham."

"I am indeed suggesting just that."

The Races continued and for the one between the Margrave and Buckingham he whispered his thoughts that something was not right  ...

"What are you saying  .... Did something happen that made Buckingham lose ......."

Her gaze went there but she could not see anything strange.

"Do you think the Race was thrown? Is that it?"

"Buckingham lost to the Queen's relative was Politic then and he will have scored points for it with The King."

"Or the Duke may have some alternate plane up his sleeve."

"But if that is so then it was as you say Masterly executed."

"No nothing more in regards to monies but I will wager on those forfeits."

"But what is still undecided is just WHAT they shall be."

"I think it wise to not get too carried away   .... Yet allow for some merriment and Fun  ....."

Her eyes were full of laughter and perhaps there was just a touch of Dare in her words.

Just how far would he expect her to follow and would she comply was yet to be revealed.

Frances and Duncan

Lady Frances said she could not take the credit for helping Duncan see things he had overlooked. He did not want to contradict her, so he agreed. "In that case, I thank you for helping me see a different perspective"... even though I think I was blind to those things before.

In person. Duncan nodded. That was what he had though would be appropriate, but he had wanted to make sure. Then Frances described what he would likely go through. The lookover. Well, the Duchess was Lady Frances' mother, so she had every right, and even the duty, to screen her daughter's friends, especially those of the male persuasion. "As it should be, my lady, as it should be. Her Grace may ask anything she wants, and I will be truthful. Hopefully she will like what she hears".

"The when is more to her convenience than mine, but if you do not consider it too soon, I would like it to be tomorrow. The season may end very soon, and I would prefer to speak with her before it does. I would have to write to her otherwise". The masque would be Saturday evening, and the Royal Christening would be on Sunday. It was possible that the King would end the court season after that.

Something the Viscount left unsaid was that he did not expect the Duchess to receive him in the mornings, as most courtiers did not get up early, and some never before noon. That left Saturday afternoon as the most probable fit for the meeting.

Lauderdale and Dundarg

It did feel odd, arranging for Maitland to see Fiona when he knew what was going on, but after their conversation yesterday he knew that Fiona was entirely on board with the direction she was taking. It was something Douglas had even mused on previously, as suiting her more than trying to make some proper marriage work, but he'd also known that Cat would never approve. Still, often it was easier to ask for forgiveness than permission, and he'd already come to that conclusion when Fiona made it known that she'd already played her hand. Now that the path had been chosen, it was easier to facilitate it. Eventually the conversation with Cat would be had, and one day the secret would be out completely, but for now Douglas would make arrangements for Fiona and Maitland to meet quietly, knowing that it furthered both Fiona's ends, and his. 

So the older man did speak the Ghaidhlig. Dundarg shrugged. "Sometimes tis easier tae express a Scottish thocht - specially aboot the Heelan's - in th'auld tongue." He replied quietly. Thoughts that, for example, one might not wish to be understood even if they were overheard by sassanach. "An' tis the best tae curse in."* He agreed with a smirk. 

Douglas heard the warning in Lauderdale's words, though as ever it didn't sit well. He was a Highlander, he was a Scot, and he was proud of it. He didn't like the fact that their nobility now had to pretend to be sassanach, and the Stuarts seemed to have forgotten the fact that James I of England was James VI of Scotland first. But something he had learned, however slowly, was that you couldn't fight the system, you could only work from within it. 

Having settled the matter of Fiona - and hopefully resolved her stalker - and mentioned the Russian Ambassador, there wasn't really much more for Douglas to say. He would see Maitland that evening. "Unless thairs ocht else ye wuid hae o' me, I'll nae presume upon yer time further Yer Grace, but weel see ye at dinner."** He said politely, waiting to see whether Maitland would dismiss him or had something else to say. 

Subtitles
* "Sometimes it's easier to express a Scottish thought - especially about the Highlands - in the old tongue. And it's better to curse in."
** "Unless there's something else you would have of me, I'll not presume upon your time further Your Grace, but will see you at dinner."

Lauderdale and Dundarg

"Sàbhalaidh sinn e airson na Gàidhealtachd,"* the Duke spoke lightly in Gaelic.  "No thank you, I have nothing further to discuss at this time. "  It had been quite enough to discuss the topic of Fiona being his mistress now, and it had gone better than expected.

"Until this evening then.  I think I shall go and wager on the King."  With that and a nod, the older man was heading for the betting post.

*"We will save it for the highlands."

Cordelia and the Duchess of Newcastle

The Duchess had not known that Lady Lucas was watching Frances and Lord Melville too. She echoed her own thoughts. Both of them were experienced in the ways of the world, and could see how well the two got along, even if they weren't aware of it themselves.

“I hope he asks to speak to me instead of my lord husband. The Duke may be less inclined to consider a Viscount when Frances could have an Earl. I want Frances to be happy and I’m sure I can convince him otherwise. Assuming that he is suitable for her, of course.

Your advice is invaluable, Lady Lucas. I need to know more about him before making any decisions. Would you suggest that I look into his background or speak to him first? To me, the second option makes more sense. I’ll know better what to look if I know more about his life. And I’m quite curious about what he will say about himself.”

Frances and Duncan 

But you must not be too worried  ...."

She wanted to reassure him.

"I am not a child after all who needs constant watching."

"And besides I should think that enough pairs of 'eyes' have found their way in our direction today so she will like as not already have heard a whisper or two!"

It was a Truth that both of them must understand.

"Then I shall tell her you will call tomorrow ....."

She looked to him to offer a time frame.

She gave a little pleased sigh now that it had all been arranged.

"What a fine day this has been  .... I am happy indeed that you sought me out Lord Melville."

"Perhaps that is the wisest thing for now."

She agreed back.

"Perhaps you might sound out Lady Frances and see if she is even agreeable to Lord Melville beyond that of just acquaintances?"

"Creating expectations out of seeing them now may not be what either intends."

"And as we know often times things are much different than first thought."

"I think that Lord Melville will come to you first  ..... "

"He has after all been thru this process before with his late wife so he must know that marriages are arranged by Wives/Mothers even Fathers in his case."

"Speaking to him first is right. In doing so that will allow you a direction to go in or those you need to seek out if that is the case."

"It will be interesting indeed to see what he is made of. I do not think that his former father-in-laws opinions should be discounted either."

"After all no father would willingly marry off a daughter to a man if ill repute or one who is a foreigner - even if it just across a Border."

"And if there is to be an 'arrangement' then would not His Grace be thankful that You have already done the digging?"

She exchanged a knowing look with the Duchess.

Edited by Cordelia Lucas

Frances and Duncan 

Duncan was not really worried for himself. He was worried for Frances. If she was interested in him, and that was a big if, having her parents forbid him from keeping in contact with her would not be good for the young lady. It was true she was not a child, but her recent history, at least what the Lowlander knew of it, was not a very happy one. So, at her words, he nodded and smiled. "I will not worry too much, I promise". He did not have a reputation as a libertine or a blackguard, so he should pass the first round of inspection, or so he hoped. And no, you are not a child, my lady, which is exactly why I am doing things the most proper way I know to.

A pause.

The Scot had not really considered that they were in the middle of a court event, with many, many pairs of eyes looking at them. Gossips were bound to wag their tongues. "She will then hear that a proper Scottish widower enjoyed your company this afternoon. She will then hear of my request to meet with her. That is what propriety dictates, I think". In the future, Duncan would have to remind himself that she was a Duke's daughter, and that her father was bound to have many enemies and many people jealous of him.

To her questioning look, he replied "I think early afternoon would be best". Courtiers tended not to call on each other in the morning, due to the time it took to get dressed, and with the evening event there would be need of time to get into costumes, so late afternoon was also out of the question.

And then she sighed. The effect of the sound made Duncan feel... he could not really describe it, but it felt good somehow. That she was happy of sorts made the Viscount happy too.

"I am pleased that you are happy, Lady Frances, and I must confessed that your company makes me happy too. As you say, this has been a very fine day". Time would have to pass, he would have to be vetted, and approval would have to be granted. But perhaps, just perhaps, that afternoon would in the future be remembered as the start of something beautiful.

Douglas leaving Lauderdale and approaching Langdon. 

"Tha mi a’ tuigsinn." Douglas murmured in reply, before tipping his hat politely to the Duke as they parted, the older man in the direction of the wagers tent. "Best o' luck."*

For himself, Dundarg had another target. He hadn't forgotten his promise to Fiona and was acutely aware that, in pleasing the Duke, he had got himself in a bit of a knot. But he was a man of his word, so he wandered over and approached his fellow Life Guard. 

"Langdon." He greeted the Earl with a polite bow and tip of his hat. "Guid efternuin. Any luck on the boats?"** He enquired. 

Subtitles
* "I understand. Best of luck."
** "Langdon. Good afternoon. Any luck on the boats?"

Davina and Anne-Elisabeth

Davina thought that Anne-Elisabeth’s skepticism had helped. “Then I’m glad I can’t keep my big mouth shut. I have no idea why Lady Oakham was so upset when I asked a simple question about spirits.” She shrugged. “Maybe she thought the Duchess would be displeased.”

Her friend was also certain that the Duke knew who they were. Would he confront them at some point? Or try to eliminate them because they had dirt on his wife? She decided not to mention the latter to Davina.

The Barbadian Countess should have known that Davina would know the genealogies of almost everyone at court, especially the most important people. “We’re so isolated in the Caribbean that we aren’t required to learn everything about everyone. We do learn about the royals, though.  Girls usually marry gentleman from the island and stay there all their lives. Names and relationships of courtiers mean next to nothing to us. Now I’m trying to catch up since my knowledge in such things is sadly lacking.”

She laughed at Davina’s jest. “No thank you. He’s far too old for me even if he is a Prince and a Duke. And I’d rather not have to learn German either. It’s a strange language.”

Anne-Elisabeth found the ale sour too. “Yes, let’s try something else.” She signaled to a servant who was looking her way. “Do you need any help with designing the garden?  I don't know much about gardening but I can learn."

Langdon and Dundarg

His eyes moving over the crowd, the Earl saw the approach of the tall Scotsman.  "Captain," he greeted the Scottish baron.

"I lost five on York and won 50 on the King.  I'm thinking about betting on our King again," he added.  "What about you? The Margrave has won two very curious races."

Langdon and Dundarg

Fifty on the King. "I lost fifteen bein' a gentleman an' lettin' the lairdy pick her bets agin me." He admitted a little ruefully, though he was fairly certain that Langdon would understand that the losses were seen as an investment. Douglas was considering betting again, but the final was not a sure thing. "The Margrave haes Kingston's crew." He admitted quietly. "I'm nae sure the King is a certain bet." And there was the trouble. Still. "Shall we wander doon?" He suggested, indicating the betting tent. Slowly though, he didn't need to run into Lauderdale a second time. 

"Thairs a couple o' things I wanted tae talk aboot, if ye hae a moment?"** He said, marshalling his thoughts. 

Subtitles
* "I lost fifteen being a gentleman and letting the lady pick her bets against me. The Margrave has Kingston's crew. I'm not sure the King is a certain bet. Shall we wander down?"
** "There's a couple of things I wanted to talk about, if you have a moment?"

Charles smiled at the mention of letting a lady choose.  That was a dangerous proposition for any gentleman.  Of course, Langdon was a man that was in the snares of many women, alive and dead,  and did not fully realize it yet.  Dundarg was about to reveal yet another web that clung to him.

"Maybe I just wager 10 then," he replied.  "He might let the Margrave win.  To me, it looked like Buckingham may have yielded at the end."  It was not apparent to the Major why.

When Douglas sought to raise other topics, he nodded.  What gentleman would say otherwise.  "Ten on the King," Langdon told the keeper of wagers.  Once the wager was acknowledged, Charles was prepared to walk back towards his prior position near the Queen's platform.  "We have a moment now," he invited the Captain to speak, though they might be interrupted by the race soon enough.

Francis, predictably, found being back on a ship exhilarating, regardless of the size. Racing yachts with the King on the King's craft was it's own brand of excitement.

They had made their way back to the start line after beating Cumberland just in time to settle before his uncle and the Margrave's race started. 

"I do not know who I should be rooting for," Francis commented, with a sly smile. "Whomever loses shan't be pleased with me."

The question was, who would be more grumpy about it; of that, Francis was not sure he knew the answer! 

When the cheering erupted, Francis strained his ears to try to hear who the victor had been. Of course, news would travel back up the river to the King's yacht even if they could not glean it from the shouts. 

"I think...I think the Margrave won, Your Majesty," Francis said raising his brow. Francis did have an experienced crew, but it was still a bit surprising. Buckingham had a lot of experience on yachts and on the Thames. It had been an intriguing day of racing thus far.

"Any tactics for our final race?" 

Would the Margrave lose on purpose to his royal host? Would the King defer to the princeling of a guest to please his Queen? Would both just race and let the victor be as it would be? It was bound to be an interesting race, and as long as the King enjoyed the spirit of the day that was all that truly mattered.

Eleanor, Henry, and the Italians

“Anything that contributes to knowledge about the world we live in seems practical to me,” Cesare said. “Telescopes are fairly new. They will probably become invaluable in time.”

“The night sky is indeed beautiful,” Maria chimed in. Her dark eyes widened. “Cesare, you should think about making jewelry with a celestial theme.”

The tall Italian glanced at her thoughtfully. “That’s an excellent idea. If I decide to do it, I shall be grateful for your expertise, Lord Grey.” He nodded his thanks at the older gentleman’s complement. “I still have much to learn but I am as dedicated to my craft as you are to astronomy. It is a passion.”

He smiled when Mistress Bayning asked about Amsterdam. “When you think of Amsterdam, you imagine tulips, windmills, and canals. But it is also called the ‘City of Diamonds.’ Unprocessed diamonds are imported from all over the world and expertly cut into brilliant gems. The majority of my business is conducted there.”

Maria listened with interest as Lord Grey related his experience with astronomy. It was true that younger sons had more time to develop their own interests. Cesare was proof of that too. At least Lord Grey still had time for studying the sky while attending to his duties as a Baron.

“Mistress Bayning told me about your event yesterday.” She sighed wistfully. “If we had only arrived a couple of days earlier, we might have been able to attend. Do you plan on hosting another one soon? I would love to look through a telescope myself.”

"Root for the Margrave," the King instructed in reply, waiting to see if George would do his part.  Francis had little idea that this race was being managed to benefit him and put him in a better position to marry Dorothea when his true father was made public.  George had been the one that had suggested it to the King, who found the idea amusing.

Sure enough, the Margrave won the race when Buckingham seemingly faltered at the finish line.  The Duke's ego could not bear losing unlessit was clear later that he may have wanted it so.  The King shook his head as that race ended.

"Our strategy is to win Kingston.  You know your crew and how to best them. Let us do so.  When the Margrave loses, We will ask the prize that his sister stay with Our Queen another year.  He could hardly refuse.  And you, sir, will appear to be the sea captain that made the difference in the victory, something your slanderers and the Margrave must appreciate."  In that moment, Francis might better see the movement of the pieces on the chess board.  "The Margrave will owe you for lending him a crew that almost won, bringing him honor in the English court.  He will be able to repay that favor later when the pieces are in the right position."  The King's smile was proof that he was enjoying the machinations. 

Langdon and Dundarg

Men liked to think that they were independent beings and masters of their own destiny, but they all had webs that clung to them, and ties that bound. Not all men recognised them. Douglas was quite aware of his, particularly with the ladies. He no longer wore Heather's keys around his neck, but still had them in a locked box amongst his personal things. A glance from Sophia brought a whole host of tangled emotions, the sight of Nicci so obviously successful drew both pride and wistfulness. There had been a red-haired lady who'd slept with both him and the King, and bourne a child; he'd never seen it's eyes to know if it might have been his. Rebecca married Sergeant Hale and disappeared from court. Beatrice had married far better than himself. Sofia still lived in her cottage in Chelsea and he guiltily avoided visiting. Many webs, and he was weaving more, though not all strands ran to ladies. There were political webs as well, which he was diving head first into. 

Douglas was hoping to make his money back, so he placed 20 on the King, then the pair headed back towards the Queen's platform, two Life Guard Officers in conversation. 

"We need tae be extra vigilant aroond the Royal family." Douglas said quietly, without preamble. "Thairs at least ane killer at Windsor. Merriweather's deeth wasnae suicide." He revealed. It wasn't, he was certain, despite the doubts of others. "The birth o' oor bonnie Prince micht stir up dissidents."* And with the Christening happening on Sunday, there might be impetus for them to act. 

Subtitles
* "We need to be extra vigilant around the Royal family. There's at least one killer at Windsor. Merriweather's death wasn't suicide. The birth of our handsome Prince might stir up dissidents."

Frances and Duncan 

"She may look more frightening than she is so just remember that and all will be well."

"What I said about 'eyes on us' was more about myself than you.  All of Court knows about the Earl and myself and watches eagerly to see me falter/"

She gave a small shrug.

"But I might have done just that if I had not found the resilience to push through then I would've provided exactly what they all wanted."

"That may be so as you what you think will be said but tossed in amongst all of that will be snide remarks and made up rumors all designed to make things difficult for us both."

"But we are Above that sort of thing are we not Lord Melville!"

"I know my mother will send for me before the day is done or early in the morning. I shall tell her when you will seek her out."

"So that is one hurdle out of the way."

He too liked the Day so he said and that made her happy.

"Do you suppose it's possible to take a smaller boat out on the River?"

A sudden change in topics.

"I mean of course it is as I see them all the time  ..... What I meant was, well, perhaps it's something that we might try?"

"Do you think His Majesty will make for London after the Christening then?"

Two questions asked at once.

"I do hope He does not seek a return here for a Christmas Court  ..... Its overflowing now as it is  ....."

She lifted her head a bit to catch a bit of breeze and smiled

"What is Scotland like? Where you are from I mean ....."

Eleanor, Henry, and the Italians

Maria and Henry seemed to be getting on well, which made Eleanor happy. Even if they didn't develop into a match, both she and her uncle had found some friends at court, and a connection in Italy!

The idea of jewellery in a celestial theme sounded magical. "You could make things in the shape of constellations!" Eleanor enthused. "Or with a combination of diamonds and perhaps larger pieces of jet." So that the diamonds twinkled between the jet like stars. Jet was a very light gemstone and perfect for large pieces and carving, being a type of ultra-fine coal. 

Cesare was correct in that those were exactly the things Eleanor thought of when Amsterdam was mentioned, but now she knew something else about the place. The City of Diamonds! "How fascinating." She smiled, blue eyes wide with interest. "Where do the diamonds come from, that are cut there?" She asked, imagining far off, exotic places. "And you saw telescopes in Amsterdam as well, so there is a university?" Surely there must be. She wanted to hear more, and travel vicariously. Wasn't Cesare fortunate, to travel all over europe?

Meanwhile Maria expressed her regret at missing the astronomy night and asked whether there might be another, and Eleanor hid a little smile behind her fan. Go on Uncle Henry, offer to show her.

Langdon and Dundarg 

They began discussing security, which was the top concern of the Life Guard after all.  "We have troopers posted with muskets at each bush that could hide an assassin.  Gillis is leading a mounted patrol up and down the path along the river to display a strong turnout of the Guard.  I coordinated with Lord Beverley.  Cumberland has his own yeomen on all the walls and mingled in the crowd."  Langdon's eyes scanned the horizon, making sure all was in order.   "The Queen is well-guarded," he noted.  The prince was not present, but guarded well back at the castle.

"Merriweather murdered?  He was one of that Merry Gang as I recall.  I did not know him.  How and who murdered him?  Was it in the castle?"  That would have caused alarm.

Davina and Anne-Elisabeth 

"Well you should take some time and start putting it to mind."

"I find that if one makes a 'chart' and then begins to connect the names and how the connection is formed it helps quite a bit."

"Think of it as a "Tree" with many branches upon which your relations sit."

"Surely you yourself have Family connections thru your parents? Unless they were both only children  ......"

"And also now thru your marriage - they all count as well."

"I wonder just WHO you might find that you can claim kinship with?"

"Are you not curious?"

She laughed at the idea of Prince Rupert and it had never been a serious one anyway.

Even her cider was not up to scratch and so another order was made. While they waited she asked

"Do you attend the Masque tomorrow night?"

"What will you wear?"

"I am thinking not to go  ....... "

She trailed off her sentences aware that her friend knew nothing of what had occurred months previously and why she was hesitant to go.

Langdon and Dundarg

It was good to hear that they were so well prepared to protect the safety of the Royal Family should it be required. Not that Douglas had doubted, Langdon had always proven quite competent in that arena, unlike their illustrious leader. Both he and Dundarg took their duties seriously, and the big man nodded as his companion laid out their preparations. It was good to hear.

"He was set up tae luik like he committed suicide, but ye cuid see whaur his hands haed been teed." Said Douglas quietly. "I dinnae ken wha yet, an' wi' the number o' people wha haed a reason tae hate him, t'may be hard tae untangle. An' haps best left luikin' like a suicide, but I weel find oot." He swore. At least, he hoped he would. "T'was at his hired hoose."* Not in the castle, so not indicative of any breech in their security. 

The big Scotsman drew a breath in through his nose. "T'wasnae th'ainly attempt made, mind ye. Abody shot at Fiona on Wednesday." He revealed. "She twisted her ankle fallin' off her horse, but is otherwise fine. I believe I have solved the situation, but sin I un'erstand that ye protected her frae similar whilk she was in London, I thoct ye shuid ken."** He said gravely. 

Subtitles
* "He was set up to look like he committed suicide, but you could see where his hands had been tied. I don't know who yet, and with the number of people who had reason to hate him, it may be hard to untangle. And perhaps best left looking like a suicide, but I will find out. It was at his hired house."
** "It wasn't the only attempt made, mind you. Somebody shot at Fiona on Wednesday. She twisted her ankle falling off her horse, but is otherwise fine. I believe I have solved the situation, but since I understand that you protected her from similar whilst she was in London, I thought you should know."

Sarah and Chatham

"I am no expert, but his Grace seemed to lose all the wind from his sails at the very end," Charles explained in a murmur. "That could be simple incompetence of course, but when ship and crew had been sailing so well prior..." He shrugged and laughed.

"But perhaps I am simply too fond of intrigue. It matters little, in any case."

Setting their forfeits for the final race put Charles in something of a bind — 'getting too carried away' was practically his creed at the best of times, never mind when a pretty woman was looking at him with merriment and challenge dancing in her pretty eyes. 

"Hmm. You have one forfeit of me already, that I will perform a task of your choosing, and offering the same again seems lacking to me... I am a laughably dreadful poet and a worse musician, so I cannot offer you a composition... and there is not enough time left before the masque for me to procure a dress to wear..."

His tongue clucked in annoyance.

"I fear, Mistress, that my creativity is failing me," he admitted ruefully.

Langdon and Dundarg

The Merriweather story was of lesser interest to the Earl.  It had happened in town and several folks apparently thought it was a suicide.  It was out of the Life Guard's jurisdiction, so Charles merely nodded.  "Sounds like a challenging mystery."

The topic of Fiona being shot caught his primary attention.  "Someone shot her on horseback?  Where?" he found himself asking without thinking.  Prior attempts had been subtle.  This seemed like something more desperate.

"You have it sorted?"  He cocked his head quizzically as he looked at Douglas.  He and Fiona had spent months trying to identify the attacker.  "What do you know?" he asked quietly, since this was a private sort of topic.  "I have made little progress on the subject.  The snake was exotic and poison is a woman's weapon, but shooting someone is a man's weapon.  No one in London could recall a market for poisonous snakes.  I had thought I would find the buyer and solve the matter."  If Douglas really had identified the killer, Charles was trying to demonstrate his own investigation, if nothing else but to prove he had been trying.

A Gentleman approaches Davina and Anne-Elizabeth

It was difficult, when one had been absent from court for some time, to step once more into the fray. Truth be told he preferred the wit and purpose of Parliament to the social niceties of courtly circles, but even those could have their charm. In some cases they could be particularly charming. 

"I beg your pardon ladies, but did you happen to catch the outcome of the previous race? I fear I was distracted."

The gentleman in question appeared to be middle aged, but still fit and well. He wore an expertly dressed blonde periwig, and the tone of his brows suggested it echoed his natural colouring. That was the most colour about him however, as his justacorps, waistcoat and breeches were of fine black wool, embroidered upon the edges in a charcoal thread that showed up like wisps of smoke. Even his cravat was carefully understated in it's lace, though held in place by a brooch featuring a black and white agate intaglio of a woman's profile, surrounded by a circle of fine diamonds. On his right hand he wore three rings set with black stones, whilst in his left he carried a cane of ebony wood, chased with silver. 

Despite his sombre attire his demeanor was pleasant and his hazel eyes held an intelligent light. The lines about his eyes and mouth suggest that he was prone to smiling, or had been. 

The King's Yacht

There were still moments where Francis' naivete as a courtier glimmered through Buckingham's carefully constructed and educated facade. When it dawned upon him that Buckingham and the King had their own yacht-racing intrigue planned and executed, for Francis' benefit, he was left dumbstruck and blinking for a few moments. 

No matter if it could appear as if on purpose or not, the Duke of Buckingham had lost something for him, in public. 

The King's part, beyond pleasing his Queen with maneuvering for her friend to stay, became apparent shortly after. Their merry monarch was known for enjoying playing a role in marrying off his gentlemen and courtiers. This, though, it was...a bit astounding.

The machinations enacted by the King and his uncle to both further Francis' status with the Margrave, Dorothea's estimation of him, and to squash the momentum of the slanderers was humbling and motivating.

Titles. Making sure he followed as his father's legitimate son. Those were all things that could be said to be done for his father, for his memory, or even for the family's legacy. This was a bit beyond that. This was for him, alone. 

"I am grateful for your confidence, Sir," he finally said, with a dip of his head.

He thought for a moment on how to beat them. The sailing prowess was one thing, and they might have sought to beat Francis himself, but the truth of the matter was that they were a royalist and patriotic bunch. Francis doubted the would wish to best the king in front of his court.

"And yes, I do know how to beat them." He chuckled. "It is quite simple, really. They do not serve a duke or a prince, but merely me, and they have all fought in battles for their King. All Your Majesty need do is compliment their skill in getting this far and wish them luck in winning when the Margrave returns to line up. It is a game of the mind. Show them your royal notice, and they will sail well, but they won't wish to beat their King."

Langdon and Dundarg

It was a challenging mystery, and quietly to himself Douglas would acknowledge that he wasn't certain of his ability to try, though try he would. To everyone else of course he was the soul of confidence.

"In the Great Park." Douglas replied mildly, to Charle's question of where Fiona had been shot at. Charles had worked hard at the mystery, following all leads and from the sound of things making more progress than Douglas had, until he learned the key fact. "Yer on the right road, poison is a wuman's weapon." He agreed. "An' a rifle is a man's, but a man kin be paid by a wuman." Douglas knew a few women who were good shots, but he wouldn't tell Charles that. Did the man know that one was working right under his nose? Douglas wasn't going to oust Gillis. "Tis a jealous wuman, an' I ainly worked it ooit cause Fiona admitted tae me lovers that she wuidnae admit tae ye." He assured the other man. "I... hae spoken wi' him that the lairdy answers tae; t'weel be ta'en care o'." At least Douglas hoped so. He had to trust Lauderdale's word for now. "An' frustratin' as I'm' sure t'is, t'wuidnae do ye ony guid tae ken wha."*

Douglas had been harbouring anger and a poor opinion of Charles, once he found out that the man had been sleeping with Fiona, and was clearly disinclined to do the responsible thing, especially once he'd seen the man with Susan Herbert. Douglas had been prepared to twist Charles's arm to try to get him to wed his sister, or failing that to sabotage his efforts at marrying anyone else. He'd even been working on a song lampooning the man's caddish tendencies; it was called 'Lightning Never Strikes in the Same Place Twice'. 

And then Fiona had let the cat, the tom and all the bloody kittens out of the bag, and suddenly it didn't matter. His whole reason for being angry with Langdon just evaporated like mist in the morning sun. He didn't want Fiona to marry at all, so that she could be Lauderdale's mistress, which was what she wanted too, so her previous relations with Charles were irrelevant. Except that she didn't want them to be previous... that needed dealing with. 

"I wanted ye tae ken. Ye did Cat an' I a great service, luikin' efter Fiona whin she was in danger an' tryin' tae solve the problem fer her, an' fer that ye hae my gratitude."** He said honestly. It was all true, Charles had spent a lot of energy from the sound of things, trying to protect Fiona. 

Subtitles
* "In the Great Park. You're on the right road, poison is a woman's weapon. And a rifle is a man's, but a man can be paid by a woman. It's a jealous woman, and I only worked it out because Fiona admitted to me lovers that she wouldn't admit to you. I... have spoken with him that the lady answers to; it will be taken care of. And frustrating as I'm sure it is, it wouldn't do you any good to know who."
** "I wanted you to know. You did Cat and I a great service, looking after Fiona when she was in danger and trying to solve the problem for her, and for that you have my gratitude."

The Duchess nodded. “I shall bring up the subject later today, subtly of course. Frances is such a polite young lady. It is possible that she is only tolerating his company.” It didn’t look that way to her, but appearances could be deceiving.

Lady Lucas agreed that speaking to Lord Melville first would be the wisest course of action. “I fully expect him to ask for a meeting, if he is as interested in Frances as it seems. I won’t be a bit surprised if I hear from him very soon.”

The next race came and went. The Margrave won. Lady Newcastle hid her disappointment well. “It is his late wife’s father I worry about most. Commoners don’t think the way we do,” She wrinkled her nose. “Hopefully he understands the folly of interfering with the affairs of an old and respectable Ducal family.

“I suppose if he doesn’t approve, he can buy Lord Melville’s share of the business from him. Frances will be Lord Melville’s responsibility if they wed, but if she is mistreated by either one of them, they will have to answer to me!”

Her eyes briefly flashed with indignation before lapsing back into calmness. “I’m sure his Grace will be grateful. He has enough on his plate without having to investigate possible suitors.” Left unsaid was that the Duchess was not sure that he would do a very good job of it.