JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Yacht Race - Friday afternoon-evening

Defiance

Cordelia, the Duchess of Newcastle, and two of her daughters

Before much more could be said, the third race was underway. The girls shouted along with the rest of the crowd. Margaret was a bit more subdued than Catherine, who jumped up and down with excitement. “His Majesty will win.” the Duchess whispered to Cordelia.

And he did, but not by much. Lady Newcastle smiled smugly, for she had bet a significant sum on the King. The herald announced two more races and she sent her maidservant to the betting booth, wondering if Lady Lucas would do the same. “Who do you think will win the next one?” she asked the other lady.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eleanor, Henry, and the Italians

The way Lord Grey described the d’Este family to his niece pleased Cesare. He assumed that the Baron also knew that he and his cousin were related to Mary of Modena, who was also a d’Este. The tall Italian was not arrogant or a braggart, so he said nothing further about his illustrious family.

“Lord Grey is an astronomer,” Maria explained when that gentleman spoke of using Murano glass for lenses. She smiled engagingly at her friend’s uncle. “Mistress Bayning told me yesterday.”

Cesare had already come to that conclusion himself, though there were other uses for lenses. “A worthy endeavor,” he remarked.

The pretty young lady asked him what he used the glass for. “I utilize it n the jewelry I design. The high quality of Murano glass can hold its own next to diamonds.”

“He designed this necklace to go with my gown.” Maria leaned toward Eleanor so that she could see it better. Oval teal iridescent beads flanked by round amber beads separated the diamonds from each other.

Lord Grey shared Cesare’s views on German opera. “I’ve never been to one,” Maria confessed. “Maybe the two of you are right.”

“I would enjoy sailing the Thames,” her cousin said. “Perhaps you can introduce me to Lord Kingston at one of the upcoming events. I heard the herald announce that he would be sailing with the King so I assume he will be attending him all day.”

Both uncle and niece knew more about the racers than the Italians, though didn’t seem to be well-acquainted with any of them.

“Oh look! Here they come!” Maria exclaimed as the yachts of the King and Cumberland sped into view.

"The King will win," Cesare predicted, smiling at Eleanor.

Davina and Anne-Elisabeth

No matter what Davina said, Anne-Elisabeth still felt guilty for her lapse of memory. Perhaps she would have remembered if her friend had explained the situation, but she might have withheld the details for the Countess’ own protection. Any offense that landed one in the Tower, even if later proved false, was a serious one.

“I think Lady Oakham knew exactly what she was getting into. I wouldn’t be surprised if she had participated in a séance with the Duchess before. The two of them seemed really close. You and I were merely curious. Maybe I was a bit too vocal about my skepticism, but it might have reduced the demon’s power, if demon it was.” She still believed the entire thing had been an ill-performed hoax designed to bilk them out of their money.

“I still remember what the ‘Count’ said about us.” In truth, Anne-Elisabeth had written everything down and hidden it among her poetry for later contemplation. “If he didn’t have help, then he did his research, though I think he was grasping at straws with me. I feel almost embarrassed that he didn’t come up with something more scandalous than painting me as a phony Countess.”

She smiled at Davina. “A little levity never hurts. I wouldn’t actually do it. We don’t know if the Duke’s guard was there all along. He might have arrived too late to hear our names. I doubt he would recognize us on sight unless he is with the Duke now and pointed us out to him.”

Davina found a place where they could sit and talk and Anne-Elisabeth settled down on one of the benches, noticing the furtive way her friend looked around. Was she still searching for the Duke, the Duchess, and Lady Oakham? The young Countess was beginning to think that none of the three were attending this event.

“Cider for me too,” she told the servant who approached them. While they waited, the race between the King and Cumberland commenced. The throng cheered and shouted for their chosen winner and … predictably in her opinion … His Majesty crossed the finish line first.

“Perhaps I should have made a wager after all,” she remarked. “I would have made some money. I know who Cumberland is and that he’s German, but not much else. Have you ever met him?”

The d'Este family were as famous as the Gonzagas, if not more so. Eleanor knew that the Duchess of York, often known as Mary of Modena, had been born a d'Este. She could only assume that Cesare was a younger son, or the son of a younger son, and not directly in like for the Duchy of Modena himself, or he would not be wandering around the English court. That didn't meant that he wasn't rich or influential, much like his cousin Maria. From the sound of things he had made his own industry and income.

She was curious what use a diamond merchant might have for Murano glass, but Cesare and Maria were quick to enlighten her. "You design jewellery as well?" She echoed, admiring Maria's elegant necklace with it's pretty blue-green beads with their oily sheen. The whole was stunning.  "How wonderful!" And how nice to have a piece designed specifically for one's outfit. "I have never seen beads of that quality before." They enhanced the amber and diamonds, rather than detracting from them. Imagine the skilled workmanship that went into them.

Unfortunately Eleanor didn't really have anything intelligent to add on the subject of Opera, but when Cesare expressed an interest in meeting Lord Kingston she smiled inwardly. It was of course for the men to speak of such introductions and meetings, but Eleanor made a note of the interest. She also knew Lord Kingston, superficially, and might have the opportunity to make the introduction if Henry did not.

The yachts came into view, to the great excitement of the crowd, and they were neck and neck. It seemed the heat might go either way, but the d'Este scion expressed the certainty that the King would triumph. "It is the polite thing to do." She agreed quietly, watching the boats. Who would dare best the King? And sure enough, the Royal yacht was the first over the line, though not by much.

Eleanor knew Maria's reasons for being in England and not wishing to return to Italy, which she thought were quite understandable, but her cousin was much more of a mystery. "Will you be returning to Modena after the Christening, Signore  d'Este?"

The Queen's Platform

Sophia’s cheers were less boisterous than the others, but that was to be expected in her condition. The baby pounded her relentlessly, almost as if he or she was encouraging the King to win as well. She knew not to overextend herself after what had happened at the Chichesters’ wedding. Her eyes glittered and her face flushed with enthusiasm. Like the Queen, she clapped when His Majesty crossed the finish line first. From her elevated view, she could see the crowd celebrating. It was likely that most of them had wagered on the King. Esteban would be pleased that she had won some money. She wondered if he had made bets of his own.

“Maybe my lord husband talks in his sleep,” she jested back. Maybe he did, for all she knew. She had surmised that Queen Karoline would be aware that she didn’t know any secrets, and her statement could have applied to herself as well as Sophia. She, too, was a German girl in England who was not always trusted.

“You are right, though, Your Majesty. I know next to nothing of Spanish affairs. I can support my husband best by attending to my own duties as the wife of an Ambassador.” She hoped that her words encouraged the Queen, for her role was to support her husband as well. Sophia was just beginning to understand her own obligations and the role she was required … and delighted … to play.

She nodded as Queen Karoline expressed her concerns about the masque. Even if only cider was served, stronger drinks would be smuggled in. “I understand your apprehension. Courtiers will be bolder while hiding behind masks. I think the guards will convince those who plan to cause trouble to celebrate elsewhere so they don’t spoil the masque for everyone else. Libertines might even prefer that option."

Ever an optimist, she added:  "It might turn out to be one of the most splendid events of the season.  It will be fun seeing everyone in costume and guessing who they are.  Will you be in disguise too, Your Majesty?"

"Assuredly"

She answered back to the Duchess.

how could he not  ... I mean who be so bold as to actually take a win fro the King  ...

Her private thoughts as those about hopped and hollered their joys or sorrows as there had to be those that lost as well.

As to the next winner  ...

"Would it be a presumption to say 'His Majesty'?"

She wouldn't wager again as she needed to be careful with her monies. She was not in any dire straits but Life had taught her to not be caught wanting.

Frances and Duncan

Her answer at his asking permission to write to her pleased Duncan far more than he thought it should. Still... "Far too many courtiers speak, Lady Frances, but do not really say anything worthwhile. You are not one of them". It was a compliment the Lowlander hoped would please her, especially because he did mean it. "I will ask Her Graces' permission then. God willing, she will not object". You have not been treated as you should, my lady, but I intend to do things in a way that lets you see your own value. Besides, your mother will want to inquire as to my character, as any responsible mother would, and me giving her ample time to do so is the polite thing to do.

"My horse, Earn, was chosen for endurance and strength, not for speed. As a good military horse, I can fire a shot from horseback and he will not flinch. But I enjoy leisurely rides too. Life should be enjoyed too, don't you think?" As for art, the Viscount had never had time for it, not even for pencil drawing at night, in the middle of a long siege. "I am sad to say that I have no artistic bone in my body. Being a barely adequate dance partner is as far as I go". It was true. A sketch explaining military units and formations was as good as Duncan got, and even that was utilitarian, not artistic.

"Lady Toledo? Is she a friend of yours? I happen to know and respect her husband, Don Esteban". He could not tell Frances how he had come to side with Spain and against France. "Spanish food is a bit too spicy and... unusual... for some, but I learned to enjoy it when campaigning in the Spanish Netherlands"*.

"Yes, a regiment. Lords prefer cavalry when thinking about regiments. They are far more prestigious. I served in the infantry. Sieges teach you to want more artillery on your side. That is where the idea began, I think. As the junior service, the artillery is bound to be the least prestigious arm. But I want to save as many English soldiers as I can..." that was his main desire. "As for land, it will depend on what Parliament determines. If they do not object, land close to London would be my preference. If they do, Scotland might have to be it. As for training, experts would be teaching the men, of course, but someone has to keep the experts on their toes, of they will slack off. At the very least, I will have to make surprise visits to the training grounds".

A pause, and the faintest hint of a blush.

"I thank you for your confidence in me, Lady Frances, but please, do not put me on a pedestal. Only God deserves that. I am a mere man, trying to do my best, and bound to make many, many mistakes". Her admiration was plain to see, and thus the reason for his warning. It was too early for Duncan to see there could be something more.

The noise of the crowd returned the Lowlander to the then and there. “Do you want to bet on the coming race? Or are you content with watching? We are already over fourteen pounds ahead, after all”.

* As attested here.

Edited by Duncan Melville
Grammar

Henry most probably knew that Maria of Modena was a d'Este, as the Duchess of York was royalty, but it was forgotten at that particular moment. In fact, most practical and important things that he knew were forgotten most of the time, as his thoughts were focused on the heavens most of the time.

"You honour me with that opinion", Lord Grey said to Cesare. He then listened attentively as the Italian nobleman described his use for Murano glass. "That is a very beautiful necklace, Principessa", the Baron remarked. "You are a very accomplished designer, Signore d'Este", he said turning to the man. Indeed, the piece was extraordinary, at least to Henry's eyes.

When the topic changed to sailing, Lord Grey replied to the Italian, "I will introduce you as soon as the opportunity presents itself". Then the yachts closed in and, although it was a close race, the King won, although not by much.

"The second round should prove very interesting. His Grace Buckingham vs. the Margrave of Brandenburg-Ansbach is a race I'd rather not bet on, though, as the second I had never seen race before". Not that Henry had much knowledge of yachts or races, but what he had said was the honest truth.

The Queen's Platform 

Some maids were dancing with each other to celebrate the King's victory, but they would save the bigger celebration for the end.  "It is your duty to support your husband," the Queen nodded with agreement.  

As for the masque, the Queen suppressed a grimace.  "I shall wear a costume of course," she revealed. "I have no doubt that all shall know my identity as I am surrounded with attendants."  It was a  practical viewpoint of a practical German lady.  "It is not my dream to dance with several gentlemen like a debutante, and pretend that no one knows my identity.  No one must be above approach more than a Queen."  Her husband could be the fool and sleep with a trio of whores, but she must always be chaste.  She was not sure the King would even dance with her, for, doing so, might reveal his costume. 

Frances and Duncan 

He said he would go to her mother for permission as she had suggested.

"I do not think she will raise any objections. You are known after all and not just some face about Court."

She teased.

He spoke of his own interests in Racing and horses as well as his Skills which maybe she might get to see first hand in the future.

When asked Lady Toledo she smiled adding that

"We are friends. In fact I just saw her and, well, she seemed ready to have her child any day now. Even tho she assured me it is still some months away."

"I have not meet Lord Toledo. He was not there or if he was did not make his presence known."

She would not give away what was said in confidence between her and Lady Toledo but she was curious about her husband.

"Do you know him well then? What type of man is he - do you think he will be a good father?"

"As to food I can not say but I will warn you to avoid any sauce that Lady Toledo tries to make you ingest  ....."

"She has the most foul FISH SAUCE that she seemed to want to pour over what we had for tea and then said that when I am in the same position as her I too will want such things!"

She could not help the small shiver at the memory of that.

He then spoke about this Regiment and again she could tell just by the way he was speaking that this was a thing very close to his heart.

"You seem to have thought about all the angles as well as the need to keep your own hand in."

"Oh I know full well that you are a mortal man Lord Melville. But that does not change how I think of you."

"Naturally you will make mistakes how could you not - for we are all Human after all. And I for one speak from a first hand experience ..."

This a reference to her having been tipped as Dorset's Bride.

"But are we not suppose to learn from mistakes and to not repeat? So that is what I will try to do."

There was a rush of noise which gave her time to remember that they were not connected in any way and that she must not allow herself to get carried away. Yes there was an attraction on both parts which they both had felt yet it in no way meant that theirs was a sealed Fate.  

"I think I am satisfied with that amount but you are free to bet again."

"The King will win this time as well. Would it not be Politic of the Margrave to give way or would that be too obvious and thus displease His majesty?"

Lauderdale and Dundarg

It was not as if the Duke was expecting Douglas to make a scene, but Scots were hot headed by nature.  He had taken some precautions in case Douglas decided to do something stupid, but he trusted the protection that the crowd offered.  He had sought out Douglas on purpose, in a public place, to test what the Captain knew and what he planned to do about it.

"It is a good thing to be protective of your family," he acknowledged. "I shall rely upon your leadership of the family to recognize opportunity when you see it."  It was clear that tensions were released as the Duke's shoulders relaxed.  

"I have a dilemma that you might assist with," he began, knowing that he was pushing things, but he could not speak with Fiona easily.  She needed to escape from her guards and it was getting more difficult.  "I should like to speak with Fiona personally, to assure myself that all is well with her.  You can imagine all of the complexities that such a meeting would raise, yet I think you are a man that might be able to arrange it in a most discreet fashion."  He continued to speak quietly and appeared to be distracted by the crowd when he was not.  "I can understand if you refuse," he added quietly.  "You should know I mean her no harm.  Others do.  I should like to spend some time with her before the season ends.  There will be opportunities later perhaps but there is no time like the present."

Lauderdale and Dundarg

The risk of Douglas doing something rash, especially in public, was less than it had been when he'd first come to court, but it was never zero. But, as he had told Fiona, he had no objection to her being Lauderdale's mistress - in fact he encouraged it - providing that it was what she wanted, and he treated her well. From what she'd told him that seemed to be the case, though the Highlander was on alert for any indication it might be otherwise.

With the air cleared between them, both men relaxed, and returned their gazes to the races and the crowds around them. The Duke's statement that he would rely on Douglas's leadership drew a solemn nod from the big man. It had become clear to Douglas that the family needed him to assume the role he should have had by birth. He would look after all of them, and see that they prospered. "Thank ye, Yer Grace. Ye weel find me open tae opportunity."* He promised. Cat was really the only obstacle, as he saw it.

Douglas cocked his head slightly, curious, when the Duke spoke of a dilemma, though the nature of it soon became clear. Following Lauderdale's cue, Douglas kept his gaze moving between the boats and the people around them, as though the two were simply standing companionably, whilst he thought. He knew exactly what the man was asking.

Finally Douglas spoke. "Wuid ye care tae join me fer dinner at the Hen's Toes, Yer Grace?" He asked, apparently apropos of nothing. "Thair food is verra guid, an' they hae a private dinin' room. Er I kin hae the meal delivered tae my room, as ye prefer. I weel git her thair."** Though the thought of Lauderdale shagging Fiona in his bed wasn't one he relished, if that's what the Duke had in mind then he would facilitate it. It wouldn't be hard for him to pick up Fiona and smuggle her in. With her carrying Lauderdale's child, he could understand why the man would want to see her.

He kept his voice low. "Sae lang as she is happy, I am happy." He said bluntly. "An' her sister weel cam tae see that this path suits her." He promised the older man. Cat would have her tantrum, but Douglas was confident that he could talk her round. Trying to get Fiona to be proper and married had proven a dismal failure.  "But if ye happen tae hae ony insight intae wha wishes Fiona harm, I wuid like tae solve the problem."*** Permanently.

Subtitles
* "Thank you, Your Grace. You will find me open to opportunity."
** "Would you care to join me for dinner at the Hen's Toes, Your Grace? Their food is very good, and they have a private dining room. Or I can have the meal delivered to my room, as you prefer. I will get her there. "
*** "So long as she is happy, I am happy. And her sister will come to see that this path suits her. But if you happen to have any insight into who wishes Fiona harm, I would like to solve the problem."

Edited by Douglas FitzJames

Lauderdale and Dundarg

The conversation continued in a respectable fashion as both men pretended to be more interested in the racing than the intrigue.  Lauderdale nodded and pointed towards one yacht as if they were assessing the next wager. The pair were being watched closely by one person in particular.

"I think that a private meal at the Hen's Toes would be just the right choice for this evening."  He nodded approvingly.  "Although I think it would be good for both of us to be seen publicly in each other's company, and I see that happening in the future, I think I prefer the private room tonight."  It would afford him more time with Fiona obviously.

Douglas had earned the Duke's respect in that moment.  The soldier displayed a practical understanding of the way things truly worked at court and was willing to take charge of the family as any gentleman should.  How he dealt with Catriona would be interesting to watch.  To the Duke, she was a she-devil, not just because of her fascination with blades, but her influence with the King.  At some point, the King would learn of this affair and the Merry Monarch would support it, Maitland imagined.  The King would need to help mollify his former mistress, perhaps by marrying her to someone who could better control her, though the Duke realized that might be wishful thinking.

"I have ideas as to who may wish to hurt her and I am taking steps to making sure that it ceases," he offered quietly.  "I understand there was an incident with a musket that was a surprise to me, and I share your upset."  He left it at that. 

Frances and Duncan

Duncan did not think he was that well-known at court, so her comment drew a puzzled look. He was not a wide-eyed debutante though, so perhaps the Cavendishes had heard about him, after all. "Perhaps in a year or two, Lady Frances. Meanwhile, only a few know who this soldier is". That those few included the King, the Duke of Buckingham, and a number of Earls was something the Lowlander did not consider. "But I am now known by Lady Frances Cavendish, so that makes it all worthwhile", he teased back.

"Lady Toledo is a likeable person", the Viscount replied. "I pray that her delivery is uneventful, and that she gives birth to a healthy son". He was certain that having a son and heir would please Don Esteban greatly. "The Count of Toledo is a Spaniard. He is the son and heir of one of the Grandes de España, the grandees of Spain, if I recall. That makes him proud of who he is, and proud of his country. He is also Catholic. But if you take those into account, he is a good man, and I think he will make an excellent father..." It was not like English nobility were humble about what they were. 

He was going to continue when she mentioned fish sauce. That drew a smile to Duncan's face.

"I have tried it. Romans called it garum. A salty sauce made from anchovies. When you add a few drops to certain foods, it enhances the flavour. But do not add too much, and never add it to sweets. It would ruin them". At her shiver, he decided not to talk about his Book Mouse's craving of haggis when she was pregnant. Lady Frances might think twice about marrying and having children if he did.

Her admiration for him was patent in her words. He acknowledged it with a smile and a slight nod. "Aye, my lady. The wise person learns from their mistakes". She did not want to bet more money, so he followed suit. It would have been ungentlemanly to leave her alone just to go place a bet.

Regarding who would be the final winner, Duncan was not so sure. "I think it depends on who wants to please the other more, or who might be asking a favour from whom". The Scot was not privy to what was really at stake, but state visits generally had a purpose. "Or if His Grace Charles wants to please Her Majesty and give her countryman the victory". The Lowlander suddenly realized that Frances had been correct. He was not as clueless as he thought. It drew a smile as he voiced a single word... "touché".

Lauderdale and Dundarg

Douglas tilted his head to follow Lauderdale's pointing hand to the boat he indicated, nodding in an interested manner. For a moment, as their words said one thing and their postures another, Douglas felt a few hairs on the back of his neck prickle, though he couldn't have said why. 

The idea of being seen publicly associating with Lauderdale in the future - presumably with the kind of frequency from which others could deduce a connection - pleased Douglas. If he was seen as being under the Duke's protection then those who might take pleasure in casual pot-shots at easy targets might no longer see him as one. But today's meeting was for a different purpose. "This weel be a lan efternuin in the public ee," he opined, "a private meal weel be restful. I weel mak th'arrangements."* He promised.

The Hen's Toes was accustomed to catering fine meals, and it would be simple enough to collect Fiona from the Alyth rental house. He could say honestly that he was taking her out for dinner at the Toes to lift her mood, and to give them a chance to discuss her recent 'adventures'. Even if Cat's - or Duncan's - guards wanted to follow them, their protection would be welcome and they would only see Douglas and Fiona go into the Toes and come out again a couple of hours later. There was no reason for any to deduce that there had been a third person involved. Sometimes simple really was best. 

As for Catriona, well, Douglas would cross, burn or build that bridge when he came to it. 

Douglas expressed his concern over Fiona's antagonist, wondering whether Lauderdale's spy network might assist him, and the man himself allowed that he had an idea who might be responsible, and was doing something about it. For Douglas it was one of those little moments where a suspicion crystalises into a certainty. Following his conversation with Fiona, he was pretty certain now he knew who it was, and that Lauderdale would wish to handle the situation himself. "Sae lang as it stops, nae more need be said."** He said quietly, gesturing with a lift of his chin to a knot of people down by the water's edge. Not that Douglas wouldn't love to take some revenge for the threat to his sister, but if it was indeed the Duchess of Lauderdale who was trying to take out her competition, revenge might have to be a dish best served with subtlety.

The matter of Fiona pretty much closed for now, Douglas considered his options. "I do need tae speak wi' ye aboot my meeting wi' the Moscow Ambassador, but that kin wait until taenicht, or Sunday, if you wuid prefer."*** He offered. Maitland's mind might be on other things tonight, but Dundarg would defer to the Duke's preference. 

Subtitles
* "This will be a long afternoon in the public eye, a private meal will be restful. I will make the arrangements."
** "So long as it stops, no more need be said."
*** "I do need to speak with you about my meeting with the Moscow Ambassador, but that can wait until tonight, or Sunday if you prefer."

As the races progressed Charles engaged in small talk with a few of the notables on the Queen’s platform but his attention was increasingly diverted as the Margravina had not joined the Queen. He consistently looked about the crowd for any sight of his wife but if she was present there would be no logical reason for her not to join her mistress. He wanted to descend and search the crowed and to check to see if she was detained at the barge by some unforeseen circumstance but it would not be within protocol to leave the Queen’s party without leave. As the crowd rejoiced in the Kings victory, he clapped along but his heart was not in it.

He took the opportunity of the tumult of the participants to move closer to the Queen who was in conversation with the very pregnant wife of the Spanish Ambassador. She looked like she could go into labor at any time so in an overabundance of caution he checked his sleeve to ensure his customary handkerchief was in place and his backup handkerchief was securely in his pocket. If the Lady were to go into labor, he speculated that his two handkerchiefs would be wholly inadequate for the task at hand but a pair of handkerchiefs would be better than nothing.

It being impolite to interrupt a conversation he compromised. “I give you joy Ma’am of His Majesty’s victory,” the comment was general enough not to intrude but also alerted the Queen that he was there and wished to speak if she was so inclined.”

Frances and Duncan 

So she had been wrong in her thinking   ...

"Really? I had assumed that you were known about Court ... So then I must apologize for it. But as you say that will change."

"And you are indeed known by me which could well expand your own Social circles if you want it to.'

"One can never tell when introductions will prove to be fruitful in one way or another."

But she would not pressure him in the slightest. 

He then spoke about Lady Toledo and his knowing Lord Toledo.

"Well I do hope that he is all you say. I do not think you offer Praise easily so in saying of him that you have gives me some ease of mind."

He too it seemed knew of this sauce but she would be firm on not trying it.

"Say what you will I shall not indulge of that I am sure of."

All that she had said to him in her mind was True and he was humble in his replies in accepting it. He agreed with her but then said no more. Had she made another error in being so free with complements? She had never acted in such a manner with another Gentleman (except for Chichester but he was altogether different) and she had felt as if they had known one another for years which was why she felt comfortable talking as she had. Best then to take a few steps back she thinks judging by his reactions. Getting too far ahead of herself was likely to end whatever was brewing between them faster than a heartbeat. 

early day Frances  ..... early days  ..... 

He then gave the perfect answer as any skilled Courtier might.

She smiled back at him pleased that he had come to the realization that he was more than capable of holding his own.

"Well Done Lord Melville."

She quietly complimented him.

""If I were to guess I would say that the King will allow the Margrave to win - after all Her Majesty has given Him a son and heir so would he not wish to please in any way he could?"

"But then perhaps that is a woman's view and not the way men think   ..."

“He’ll win the last one,” the Duchess said, “but the next one is between Buckingham and the Margrave."  She whispered to her maidservant, who hurried off to the betting booth. Lady Newcastle was a bit of a gambler, but she was smart about it. She noticed that Lady Lucas did not send her own maid this time.

Margaret and Catherine were chattering happily together, allowing the adults some privacy. Their mother’s gaze circled the crowd and eventually spotted her second-born daughter still in the company of Lord Melville. “They’re still together.” she whispered to Cordelia.

Lord Grey seemed like a fine, respectable gentlemen and not one of those libertines Cesare had heard about. Maybe he would be a good match for his cousin. Mistress Bayning was sweet and cheerful and was already good friends with Maria. That meant he would likely see her again. Maria might invite her to the hunting lodge. He wondered if either of them liked to hunt.

“I had occasion to look through a telescope once,” he said, “but I confess what I saw meant little to me.”

Maria placed her hands on her hips. “And you didn’t invite me?”

“It was in Amsterdam,” he replied.

Both Mistress Bayning and Lord Grey admired Maria’s custom-made necklace. “I would thank you, but Cesare did all the work.” To Eleanor: “The beads that can be embroidered on gowns are of the same quality, only smaller. They come in a wide variety of colors.”

Grazie,” Cesare replied. “I was taught by Maria’s late husband. He was also a diamond merchant and jeweler. When he passed away, it was natural for me to assume ownership of his business ventures.”

He nodded at Lord Grey’s confirmation that he would introduce him to Lord Kingston. Eleanor’s comment of letting the king win made Cesare smile. She was an intelligent young lady. It was unfortunate that she wasn’t Catholic.

The race interrupted their conversation. That the King won was no surprise. The next one was announced. “Precisely the reason I placed no wagers,” Cesare agreed. “I’ve never seen any of them race.”

Mistress Bayning asked him if he planned on returning to Modena after the christening. “I will be going to Amsterdam on business. What I do after that depends on how long I stay there.”

Meanwhile, Maria smiled engagingly at the intriguing Lord Grey. “How long have you been studying astronomy? Was it something that fascinated you all your life? I remember looking up at the moon and stars from my balcony when I was a child. I always wondered what they looked like up close.”

The Queen's Platform

Sophia nodded. “Yes. But sometimes it’s a bit frustrating to be considered untrustworthy or even despised just because of your nationality.” She assumed the Queen could relate to that statement. “It’s worse in Spain where even my appearance proves I’m a foreigner.” A fair-skinned, blue-eyed blonde stood out in a country full of olive-skinned people with dark eyes and hair. “It’s an uphill battle to being accepted.”

Queen Karoline didn’t seem optimistic about the masque. She would probably be glad when it was over. “You’re not the only one who won’t be able to hide her identity.” Sophia briefly glanced down at her blossoming belly. “Everyone will know who I am too. And I’ll probably be surrounded by a contingent of Spanish soldiers. My lord husband is taking no chances on the safety of his heir. Not everyone is pleased by the presence of Spaniards in England.” She smiled wryly. “I’m a target that’s difficult to miss.” Both ladies had problems related to their positions. In truth, Sophia would rather be expected to be above reproach than the prey of an assassin.

“I’ll still be in costume though. I chose one that is both adorable and appropriate.” She leaned forward and whispered again. “I’m going to dress as a cocoon.”

Lord Mountjoy congratulated Her Majesty on the King’s victory. Sophia smiled up at him and waited politely for Her Majesty to reply. Perhaps the Queen would include him in their conversation. Though she had met his wife, she didn’t know much about him at all.

It was hard to miss the departure of the Duchesses maid but Cordelia was standing firm in her resolve to not wager again.

She had made a winning and was happy for it.

Her own gaze followed to that spot and she whispered back

"Yes. I have been watching as well. It speaks for a countenance I think moving forward."

"It is clear enough to us both and I think it safe to make an assumption   ....."

"But it might also be wise of you Your Grace to think of how you will respond if Lord Melville seeks you out."

"If he should come to you asking for any permission regarding Lady Frances what will you say?"

"Little is known of him other than what we both know so might it not be prudent for some advance knowledge?"

"If things progress to the point where His Grace has to be informed would it not be better to have an upper hand so to speak?"

"The Duke will, naturally, send out his own people to investigate but if you have things to show then there might be less risk of any objections."

What she was quietly pointing out was just common sense.

Marriage matters were indeed left to wives but it was assumed by husbands that any man selected would have been searched out.

"Best to be a step ahead."

Lauderdale and Douglas

The topic of Fiona now seemed complete and the Duke displayed a satisfied look.   Douglas seemed to understand and did not need further clarification.  "Shall dinner be at six o'clock?" he sought to clarify.  It was the final variable.

It seemed as though the Russian Ambassador had been busy. The foreigner had sought a meeting with Lauderdale but the times proposed had been inconvenient.  Maitland supposed he could learn something about what the man wanted.  "What is it that the Russians are looking for?"  The fact that they had approached a soldier instead of a trader provided a clue.

The Queen's Platform

The Queen shared an understanding of what Sophia was saying.  She listened but her eyes often gazed out into the crowd and to the competitors.

"I suppose it is better that he is over-protective than uninterested," Karoline commented lightly.  Frankly, neither extreme pleased her.  Some men all but ignored their wives while they spent all their time on business and with lovers.

Sophia's mention of a costume caused the Queen to look only at Sophia, and with a quizzical look.  She was about to ask how one could make such a costume when Charles Blount arrived.  He was well known to the Queen, his wife even better known.

"Ah Lord Mountjoy, do join us," she invited.  He rarely spoke up amid informal banter unless he sought to offer some advice.  As such, he had her attention,which was briefly interrupted by Dorothea's announcement that the race between her brother and Buckingham was about to begin.

In the Crowd

Henry Howard, Stafford's son. was in the company of George Churchill again.  They were near the shoreline.  They saw Davina in the company of Anne and offered a smile before being approached by the Earl of Bristol. The man was moving slowly among the crowd with his cane, but managed to find the two men.  He shared a glance in the direction of Davina and the three of them began speaking about something.  

At the Start Line

The Duke had ordered every knot and rope checked before the horn sounded.  The two yachts were side-by-side, but out of sight of the crowd at the landing.

The horns blared and the race began ... .

Davina and Anne-Elisabeth 

"I am sure that Lady Oakham is no stranger to what the Duchess has going on."

"If you had not been vocal as you say then whatever Game was being played would still continue on."

"I too think there is more than just this Count involved   ....... "

Her friend did not seem at all bothered by what had been said of her rather she was a bit miffed

"Is is an easy thing to call someone out with a word or two but proof must be presented for it to stick."

"The Duke assuredly knows who was there that night and his man would be able to verify it again if pressed. He is after all a trained solider."

They each took a seat and cider was agreed upon and the Race done and won.

"Cumberland?"

She had to smile a bit as she answered back

"Yes. He is in fact my Employer ......"

"He is by title Prince Rupert of the Rhine, Duke of Cumberland, a nephew of the late King Charles I."

"His parents were the German Prince Frederick V of the Palatinate and Elizabeth, eldest daughter of King James VI and I of England/Scotland."

"Head of the Royal Navy and various other titles and accolades."

"You should not be surprised at what I know - every Courtier worth their weight is schooled in the importance of Family Trees and Connections."

"It is a Sport of sorts and very complicated. One has to also figure in all those cadet branches of Families and where they are all placed."

"Tiresome as well. But having that knowledge is what is used in arranging potential marriages after all."

I was ... provided with the opportunity of redesigning the East Garden to his specifications."

"But this you know from our past conversation regarding myself and Lady Oakham."

"But I do not 'know him' in the true sense of that sentence. Rather I am not amongst his circle at Court."

"What I do know is general  ..... He is not married but cohabitates with a Lady and they have a daughter called Rupertina I believe ..... He is aged fifty and nine   ......"

She took a sip of her Cider then made a small face 

"Oh  ... a bit sour  ...... Maybe I should try another  ....."

Edited by Davina Wellsley

She had to wonder what it was that Cesare had seen - or hadn't seen - when he'd looked through that telescope in Amsterdam, that it hadn't meant much to him. For Eleanor, viewing the surface of the moon as though she flew just above it had been breathtaking, and the planet, Saturn, with it's beautiful rings... it had been a revelation. That was why she had asked Henry if he would teach her more. Perhaps Cesare's interests simply lay in other directions.

Maria's necklace was admired, and Eleanor cooed over the knowledge that the beads Maria had spoken of for sewing onto her dresses were of the same high quality. "How lovely." Wasn't it fine that Cesare helped Maria so accent her wardrobe? And he'd learned his craft from her husband, and then assumed ownership of his business... the words gave Eleanor pause, and though it was no doubt a logical progression, she was suddenly reminded of Maria's description of constantly being under the control of one man or another, even her brother in law once she was widowed, whilst in Italy. She'd even confirmed that Catholic men tended to be rather 'protective'. That gave Eleanor pause. She liked to be looked after of course, but she'd picked up the unspoken restrictive vibe from her friend. And of course Cesare was Italian, and likely Catholic... Eleanor stole a glance at the handsome continental man, and a some of the glamour about him began to fade.

But she wouldn't let it show. "How fortunate that you were in the same business." She enthused brightly. "Though I would not have picked Cumbria as a centre for jewellery manufacture." She observed, thinking of the location of Maria's estate. 

The King won the next boat race, which surprised noboby, and Cesare explained he'd not placed any wagers due to unfamiliarity. Eleanor hadn't placed any due to not having expendable coin, but also because risking one's funds on games of chance did not seem prudent. She nodded in understanding as Cesare answered her question, explaining that he would be going to Amsterdam after the court season ended. "You mentioned travelling there before, when you viewed the telescope. Is there a large jewellery industry in Amsterdam?" She asked, curious but also being polite. A lady should give a gentleman the opportunity to talk about himself and his interests. 

Meanwhile Maria seemed quite interested in Henry's expertise in the stars. Perhaps it might prove a point of mutual interest?

The Race

The two yachts came into view around the bend.  Buckingham's yacht was in the lead, but not by much.  The Margrave had succeeded in gaining the inside track as the river bent, giving him a chance to try and take the lead.

Although gaining a bit, Buckingham still maintained a lead, and not just because of the unusual length of the bowsprit.  As the boats approached the finish line, Buckingham's yacht seemed to lose the wind in its sails, as if the helmsman had made an error in maintaining the breeze.  The Duke was not at the helm but at the bow, as if expecting victory.  He turned and moved back to the helm with a shout.

The result was a razor-thin win for the Margrave!  The Duke of Buckingham had been defeated.

The Queen erupted with a cheer and took to her feet to clasp hands with Dorothea who was jumping up and down in excitement shouting that her brother had won until she realized that others were watching, her modesty causing her to cease at once, a blush of embarrassment on her face.

Lauderdale and Dundarg

The Duke queried the time for their dinner date and Douglas nodded. "Aye, I weel mak it fer six o'clock."* He agreed, it being as good a time as any other. 

What had the Moscow Ambassador been looking for? "I weel find oot taemorrer mornin'." He said gravely. That was the appointed time of their meeting. "We kin speak o' it on Sunday, if it please ye."** Douglas was intensely curious as to what Moscow might possibly want with someone like him, and he was definitely going to find out. 

As they continued their pantomime of watching the boats, a thought occurred to Douglas. "D'ye speak the Gàidhlig, Yer Grace?"*** He asked, thinking that it would be a good language to conspire in, since few outside the north of Scotland spoke it. 

Subtitles
* "Yes, I will make it for six o'clock."
** "I weel find out tomorrow morning. We can speak of it on Sunday, if it pleases you."
*** "Do you speak the Gaelic, Your Grace?"

Edited by Douglas FitzJames
Completely fluffed up my timeline

Frances and Duncan

Thinking for a minute during which he remained silent, the Lowlander spoke at last. "No need to apologize, my lady. I may not be a total unknown. The King knows who I am..." and perhaps one day I will tell you why I had to be introduced to him unofficially. "Prince Rupert and their Graces Buckingham and Hamilton also know me..." those two were far easier to explain, as the first was a military man of renown, while the second was a Scot and the last one just knew everyone. "There is also the Marquess Mountjoy, the Earls of Balcarres, Basildon, Bristol, Chatham, and Kingston, and Lords Beverley and Gerard. I am certain I am missing a few, but those are the ones that come to mind..." the Duke of Lauderdale he had left out the list purposefully, and the Earl of Chichester he just forgot. "And, more importantly, I am known by you". He gave a small but formal bow. And at this moment, you are more important than all the others except the King.

Another pause, as Duncan realized he was not as unknown as he had thought. "You are making me discover things about myself that I had not considered, Lady Frances. I must thank you for that..." And you are helping me see that I am not as alone as I thought I was... "As for the fish sauce, you have my word, I will not try to make you taste it".

And then, the race was on. It was a very close affair, but the Margrave won at the end. "Your womanly instincts proved correct, my lady, at least in relation to His Grace Buckingham. The final race will be between His Grace Charles and the Margrave. Who wins should tell us who wants to please who, and who will seat in the place of honour at tonight's festivities". There were bound to be victory celebrations of some sort. The King's was a merry court, after all.

Duncan then returned to a previous topic. "Do you think writing to your lady mother would be appropriate, or do you think she would expect me to make the request in person?" Ducal families tended to have their own rules, and the Viscount did not want to break them inadvertently.

Edited by Duncan Melville
forgot the heading

The Italians, Eleanore, and Henry

"Telescopes, unlike spyglasses, have little practical use". Henry hoped that would change in the future, especially if the longitude problem could be solved by their use. "But they are useful to contemplate the beauty of the night sky". A bit of a romantic notion, but one the Baron subscribed to wholeheartedly. That they could be used to map the night skies, and thus help ship captains find their location at night was left unsaid.

The banter between the cousins drew a smile as it reminded the Grey scion how things used to be between his brother and himself when they were young.

"You are an extraordinary artista, Signore d'Este". A diamond merchant and jeweler... you must have either large capital or powerful backers to make a living in that trade.

Then María asked about his passion. "I was born a second son, Principessa, so I was free to attend university. I studied in Cambridge, where I attained a Masters in Applied Optics. I then spent my time lecturing at the University, and travelling to Venice and Bohemia to learn about different types of high-quality glass. Unfortunately my brother died in a hunting accident, and I became the Baron Grey of Codnor. Now I need to devote a large share of my time to my duties as a Peer of the Realm, so I had to resign my teaching position, but I still have time to research and look at the night skies. In fact we just had an evening of doing just that on the top of one of the castle's towers. Even the King attended and had a great time".

The topic of astronomy made him forget the races, and he paid no attention to the winners and the celebration of them.

Sarah and Chatham

Charles grinned at Sarah's teasing, just a hint of sharply pointed canines showing through.

"Oh, careful now mistress," He murmured amusedly. "It is cruel to sound 'charge' in earshot of a warhorse when you are not in earnest. Cruel, and a little dangerous."

He laughed and then sobered a little, plainly interested by her suggestion.

"Just to clarify, you are suggesting that, in light of our wagers on the latter two heats being spoiled, we both perform a paired forfeit?" he asked. It was an intriguing idea, but he wanted to be certain that he had understood Sarah correctly before he considered it any further.

The next two heats were at least more competitive than that between Buckingham and Camberwell. The King won the first, which at least made good Charles' losses from his earlier wagers, and the Margrave then beat Buckingham to claim the right to face his Majesty for the overall victory. The second in particular was a close-run thing, and Charles found himself engrossed despite having nothing riding on the outcome.

In fact, watching the Margrave pip Buckingham to the winning post, a sudden suspicion struck Charles. He was no sailor, but he knew it was possible to 'spill' the wind from a ship's sails, all but killing the vessel's speed — he had once received a valuable education in swearing listening to a captain berate his crew when it happened on a voyage to Tangiers. It was usually a mistake, the result of incompetence, but there was no reason it could not be done deliberately, surely?

"Was that intentional, do we think?" he asked Sarah in a whisper. "His Grace is a proud man, yes, too proud to lose perhaps... but he is also a statesman." He shook his head. "No matter. If it was, then it was masterfully done."

"Do you wish to stake some coin on the final race, or shall we simply wager forfeits between ourselves?"

Lauderdale and Dundarg

The time was set and the Duke was looking forward to it.  He had not been with Fiona since before Windsor and her guardians made previous meetings difficult and brief.  What use was a mistress that one could not visit regularly?  There was need of a conversation between them as well.  What had made the foolish girl ride out alone?  She needed to protect the child for the remaining several months.  He needed to protect her as well.

"i do speak the old tongue," he admitted in reply, "but mostly under my breath and reserved for curses."  A small smile twitched at one corner of his mouth.  "Speaking it at court in front of the English marks you as an ignorant rebel in their eyes."  It was a warning to the Baron as well.  "Why do you ask?"