JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Yacht Race - Friday afternoon-evening

Defiance

Cordelia and the Duchess of Newcastle 

"Then that is settled. I shall watch the coming weather and then select a day and time."

"I think it is a smart idea to let us be alone for then we both can become better acquainted and the measure of each can be taken."

"You are fortunate indeed Your Grace in having your son's marriage already arranged. I hope that he will give you no troubles as it approaches."

She gave a mother's sigh in response to her own son.

"Well I shall be patient but if he shows no interest after a year or so then I shall most definitely intervene."

They had been walking as they spoke and now came to where the two youngest daughters were. A curtsey from both and a greeting   ....

"Lady Margaret it is indeed a pleasure. Your mother and  have agreed that one day next week you and I shall have an outing thru the Park   ...."

And to the youngest was regarded with a smile

"Lady Catherine. How well presented you are - I am sure when that time comes you will not be at a loss for companionship!"

"Are you enjoying the Races?"

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frances and Duncan 

She stepped closer to him partially to try to give him some privacy in that moment from any that might be watching but mainly because his hurt was so palatable.

"Of course you did. How could you not have? You have said nothing but wonderful things about her to me. I am sure she knew exactly the amount of Love you had for her."

"I understand all too well this pain you feel for I have lost someone that I loved. But I was not as fortunate as you to have loved thru marriage."

"Mine was in secret. Not thru death.  I held the Hope that we would marry  ...... That we would be together always and grow old  ..... It came to nothing and now he is married to someone else."

"I know it does not compare to the loss you have but the pain felt in the heart matches your words exactly."

"Life does go on as everyone says but the sorrow remains and now you must learn to secret it away in some special place inside you. And when sadness overwhelms then you must allow yourself to move with it. Cry scream rant do whatever it is that will give you some relief. It will not get better. It will just get different."

She was close enough to him that he would feel her breath soft against his face. Her eyes holding understanding and compassion.

"Never apologize. Never. You grieve for as long as you need. There is no limit and no one has the right to say otherwise."

"And if I can help you in any way no matter how I shall be honored if you except it."

She then took several steps backwards and her words pitched to a normal tone as she continued

"I am glad to be of help Lord Melville. There is no need to part company over it."

"Well for our sakes I hope The Duke is Victorious!"

The announcement was made for the second race just then and she asked him

"There is a change to the next race? So Cumberland is out and Buckingham in   ........"

"What does that mean?"

That he did not at once remove his hand made her glad but at some point contact would have to be lost and she already felt sad at the thought.

The Queen's Platform

Sophia was safely seated.  Queen Karoline was set to enjoy the race, and was praying that Sophia would not go into premature labor from all of the excitement.  A maid came up beside the Queen and she instructed her maid to bring a doctor to the platform, just in case.

The Margrave's triumph was celebrated by Dorothea and the Queen more loudly than was proper perhaps.  The Duke of York was not a particularly likable person, especially with Protestant Germans.  Sophia would understand the German congratulations exhanged and the whispers that York would not take the defeat well.  Sophia was included in this harmless banter.

Beverley, Langdon and Mountjoy were all nearby, as well as a small contingent of guards.  Thus, the platform was well guarded.

As for the second race, Karoline commented in English "Buckingham will win."  Dorothea looked confused to hear that Francis had been replaced on his yacht with the mysterious Lord Camberwell.  She looked at the Queen and stated "I know not this Lord Camberwell.  Lord Kingston is to join the King."  Confusion turned to a bright smile.  "The King is honoring him."

Sophia would be free to join in.  The Bishop of London quietly looked on as if he was not present, though it was clear that he was listening to every word.  He displayed no desire to wager.

OOC~ I am filling in for Hope temporarily

Beverley expressed no opinion as to whether there might have been foul play at work,  As such, Charles scanned the crowd as the second race was to begin.  "I should put money on Buckingham," he stated aloud, but he made no move to do so.

Davina was in the company of that Caribbean Countess.  One was a libertine, it was said, and Davina was quite proper ... except in private.  He knew her secret and she knew his.  He found himself wondering how enticing it would be if Davina were a libertine.  As he looked behind him, he saw Susan standing near the Queen.  He offered her a smile and began to feel guilty for his lewd thoughts.

His eyes spotted Eleanor with Maria and Cesare.  The two ladies seemed to be friendly, which was nice because each was new to court.  He wondered if Maria might try and match Eleanor with her cousin, but he was a Catholic.  Again, his thoughts turned to Davina and the diamond trader.

Darlene was nowhere in sight. That was probably for the best.  The same for Cat.  Their last conversation had been a bad one.  Fiona was nowhere to be found either, yet Douglas was present and chatting with one of the Doolittle daughters.  His eyes roamed onward.

Eleanor, Henry, and the Italians

It was the first time that a gentleman had actually kissed Eleanor's hand. She knew such was a possibility of course, but until now they'd simply bowed over it. The touch of Cesare's lips was a heady experience, even as she felt a little embarrassed and annoyed at herself for reacting so. She endeavoured to hide her discombobulation behind her fan, worried Maria's cousin might think her a fool, but the dark-eyed gentleman smiled at her when she shyly met his gaze.

Henry meanwhile was exchanging pleasantries with Maria herself, before greeting her cousin as well, who revealed that he was the grandson of the Duke of Modena. The family were clearly very well born and connected in Italy, which did beg the question as to what they were doing in England.

As Henry discussed glass and opera with the Italian pair, Maria mock-complained that Eleanor hadn't told her that her uncle spoke excellent Italian. "I didn't know that he did!" She admitted quietly, using her fan to shield them for a moment from the menfolk. Surely that was extra points in Henry's favour? She had guessed that he might have been to Italy in search of glass, but when her uncle confirmed that he had been more than once, she supposed he must have learned on his travels.

Maria and Henry did indeed both have familiarity with Venetian glass, something she thought might be a common tie for them. Cesare even mentioned that he used the glass quite often. "Can I ask what you use Murano glass for, signore?" She asked, regaining her conversation skills now that she was over her initial reaction to the charming, young Italian.

Maria preferred the social aspects of racing - and Eleanor thought that she was rather of the same view - but apparently Cesare had a yacht and could sail. Despite presumably not being in the line of inheritance for the Duchy of Modena, he was clearly a wealthy man in his own right. Eleanor thought back to her conversation with Maria a couple of days before, but she hadn't really said much about her cousin other than that he was a diamond merchant, so he was something of a mystery.

"I have been introduced to His Majesty, who is competing in the third heat." Eleanor replied to Maria's enquiry. Of the others she'd had Buckingham pointed out to her. "I have also met Lord Kingston who was to be competing I had thought." But his name had not been mentioned and Eleanor felt a little disappointed about that.

Trumpets blared and the race began with cheers down the river.  As with the last race, it was hard to know who was leading.  As the two yachts came into view, Buckingham was in the lead but Camberwell was closing, trying to maneuver past the Duke's yacht.  Lord Camberwell was dressed in colorful attire of blue jacket and red breeches, standing upon the bow of Kingston's yacht, urging her team to work harder, and to seeming shout insults at the Duke, as if that might distract him.

In the end, the efforts were unfruitful and Buckingham's vessel crossed the finish line, a full length ahead of the challenger.  Buckingham waved at the crowd with an air of confidence that suggested he thought the race an easy outing.  Camberwell would have words for the Duke later.

Money changed hands and the royal herald announced the last of the first heats.  "Ladies and gentlemen, the heat you have been waiting for -- His Majesty King Charles against his royal cousin, His Highness Prince Rupert, Duke of Cumberland!  Do not miss this chance to wager!"

Cordelia, the Duchess of Newcastle, and two of her daughters

Lady Newcastle nodded at Cordelia’s plans for her son. Her own son knew his duty and would not complain. A baronet had more freedom than a Duke’s heir, which was most likely the problem.

The girls greeted Lady Lucas properly, which pleased the Duchess. “I look forward to it, my lady,” Margaret replied.

“Thank you, my lady,” Catherine said to the older lady’s compliment. If the Duke still wanted to ally himself with Dorset, then the Duchess hoped that he would still be unmarried when Catherine came of age. Of all her daughters, she was the one who could handle him. She had the uncanny ability to persuade others that her ideas were their own. She also thought with her head instead of her heart. Nothing fazed young Catherine in the least.

“Yes, it’s so exciting,” Margaret said, blushing prettily. It was actually the first court event she had attended. She particularly looked forward to the masque. “I hope you are enjoying them as well.”

The Queen's Platform

Sophia wasn’t really surprised that the Queen and her were not fond of the Duke ofYork. She didn’t like him either, mainly because of a comment he had made on the one occasion she had spoke to him. Thinking back on it a year and a half later, she supposed he could have been jesting, but that didn’t change her opinion of him. She joined in the German conversation with congratulations and comments of her own.

She shared Dorothea’s confusion about Francis joining the King and letting another lord use his own yacht. “I’ve never heard of Lord Camberwell either,” she said, also in English. Sophia smiled at the Queen. “I agree. Buckingham will win. He excels at everything he does.”

And he did win. She cheered for him with the rest of the crowd. The next race would be between the King and Cumberland. Queen Karoline was the husband of the former and the niece of the latter, so no matter who won, she would be pleased. Unless the monarch won and there another race between the winners, Sophia didn’t plan on mentioning the wager she and the Queen had made.

“I have that fish sauce you wanted to try,” she whispered to Her Majesty. “I’ll give it to you after the races are over. I think the next one is going to be the most exciting of all.”

Frances and Duncan

Her physical proximity was welcomed in his moment of weakness. He did not react to it, but it felt soothing, calming, relaxing. Many days into the future Duncan would recognize how good it felt, as he reflected back on the day.

And then, a revelation of her own. She was in love with someone she hoped to marry, but the cad had married someone else... or her father forbade further contact, and the man honourably complied. Whatever the reason was, she had felt the same pain of separation he had. That she honours me with her confidence means I must never, ever, break her trust. I will have to ask her father permission to keep in contact with her, and the sooner the better. Hopefully His Grace Newcastle would grant it. If he didn't, explanations would be necessary. He would not just disappear.

"It is said that ladies feel much more intense emotions than gentlemen, Lady Frances. If it is so, I venture that your pain is comparable to my own..." he gently squeezed her hand as a show of support. "I am humbled by you taking me into your confidence and I give you my word that what you just said I will not repeat". Only a blackguard would do so. And her recommendation about crying, screaming, or ranting probably came out her own experience. My dear lady, who could have broken your heart so... "You being you is a balm for my soul, Lady Frances".

She withdrew several steps, and the Lowlander moved with her. What had just been shared was much more intimate than mere physical proximity. Pain shared was an open window to the soul, and that was something not easily closed. Still, his body enjoyed her closeness.

As he was about to comment on the Duke of Buckingham racing instead of Prince Rupert, the Duke's victory was announced. "Well, hopefully our bets will be considered valid. We did bet on a Duke, and not for Lord Camberwell, after all". Or perhaps Duncan had misunderstood who was racing against who. "Congratulations, my lady, you have won another few pounds! Now, if Prince Rupert is a sport and loses to the King, we will have won all three of our first-round bets". Their combined bets, that they had made in such a carefree manner, would have fed some families for a year.

In the lull of the aftermath, Duncan asked, "tell me, Lady Frances, what do you like to do when your time is your own? Do you like to read? To embroider? To take long walks? To hunt?" By asking those questions, the Viscount was trying to know her better.

Edited by Duncan Melville

Frances and Duncan 

That they had just shared an exchange of emotions she knew and his words only confirmed it.

"I do not agree - men are just as capable but trained to NOT allow anything to be seen."

"Is that not true? But then perhaps you are the exception Lord Melville."

He had not broken the connection of their hands and his squeeze was met with a returning one her eyes not leaving his face. What was this feeling? It was nothing like it had been when she and George had been together. Not even close. Was it perhaps because they had never exchanged touch except for the kissing of a hand? But that was considered a neutrally acceptable action so it did not count as actual physical touching. Lord Melville's touch was different. HE was different  .......

She had never really put thought into how different men could be from each one another other than the obvious physical ones and sometime the behaviors as well. Here was a man who suffered as she had. Here was a man that said words that she knew were True. She knew that he would never hurt her as sure as she knew the Sun would shine on the morrow. Was this then that fabled connection that Troubadour's sang of and Poets wrote about? Her Destiny?

He was as happy for their win as she and laughed in delight clapping her hands which she had done without thinking and so now the connection was broken.

"Oh ........"

It was uttered before she could stop herself but she made to cover it up by answering his questions

"I have an interest in many things besides those . All girls are taught and trained in them but I will admit I have no great skills with a needle. But I can sew buttons back on and darn a stocking  ...."

"I ride of course. I have a horse of my own and she was brought here but have not had the chance to ride."

"I am adapt enough and rarely fall off. I am not much into blood sports at all. To the chagrin of my father and other family members."

"I walk in the Park most mornings as I enjoy the quietness of just the sounds about me. It is a calmness that soothes or so I have found."

"And you? Are you a Country person or a City one? Land or Sea?"

"I have never been on a ship and barges on the River are not the same!"

"I do hope our bets will be honored  ...."

That tossed out as an afterthought to his words.

"And Cumberland losing to The King   ......  Well it would please I should think but then would his Majesty not take offense at that?"

"Would it not appear like the Race had an outcome before the start if that happened?"

The herald walked among the crowd.  "Last chance to place your bets.  No cause for delay good people."

Queen Karoline was quite enjoying the show and was ready to smile through the race between her husband and her uncle.  "Two sovereigns on my husband and one on my uncle," she instructed one of her maids that scurried away.  This would be the only wager she planned.  She and the King made two sovereigns after all.

The fish sauce seemed like a treat for later in the evening.  "Ja, give it to the Duchess of Somerset afterwards," she responded, inclining her head towards the Duchess who was one of her matrons of honor.  "If there is enough for two, she is to keep one for herself if she desires."  Somerset seemed distraught about the poor health of her son and the Queen thought to cheer her somewhat.

Cordelia, the Duchess of Newcastle, and two of her daughters 

And so the plans were agreed and set for the outing the following week.

Lady Margaret would be informed naturally but the control of her still rested with the duchess entirely.

Lady Lucas accepted the greeting and then settled to watch the Race. Her gaze moving between the two sisters lingering on one then the other in quiet speculation. Here was indeed two good possibilities If all her cards fell into the right spots. But first Lady Frances must be settled and if judging by today's pairing it was well on the way. A Widower with only one child and that a daughter was a prime candidate and to also have a Title all the better.

When asked if she were enjoying she smiled and nodded adding that it was always a pleasure to attend Events like this.

The last Race was to start and it was between Cumberland and the King    ........ which had she bet on again  .......

"I do hope I picked the right one ...."

Davina and Anne Elizabeth 

"It is of no consequence."

Said in regard's to the yachts.

"I am sure that since I was in your Company anything would have been possible amongst all of them."

She wanted to set her friend's mind to ease.

"Now then  ...."

They had linked arms and set off to find a drink and further talk.

"Enemies .... A strong word but I am not sure that is the case."

"We were all part of something we should not have been - or at least the three of us - for the Duchess is skilled so she would be aware. Even if it was all an arrangement by 'The Count' and that whole speech was contrived the manner displayed in its reciting created a situation that caught all unprepared."

"Us running was the best thing to have done. The Duchess was clearly in a state and Lady Oakham, well, she seemed to be firmly in her camp and prepared to defend."

"I have thought on this and what needs explaining is what the Count said about each of us in turn  ...... "

She did not elaborate because she knew that her friend would remember it just as well.

"Which makes me think he acted not alone."

She gave a little shake of her head 

"But that is best left for another time a place. And as for the Duke watching - of course. How could he not. It was his man after all that was there and no doubt has recanted everything he saw and heard. Would you not want to keep a watchful eye on those who were with your wife? He is fully aware of her involvements on the Subject she plays at and why he continues to indulge it who knows."

"You have best take it seriously and not be so flippant. Until he is convinced it is a closed matter the Duke will do whatever he needs to."

"And it would be a waste of your efforts to try to play at what is or who is not especially on a day like today!"

"Look - that establishment looks respectful enough for us to indulge ...... "

She gave a small tug to her friends arm and led them to that spot that was shaded by a few large trees going right to a table that provided a good view of the area.

If any eyes watched then there was nothing out of the ordinary to see.

Yet she found herself looking around with more intent simply due to her own state of affairs. 

Would anyone make contact with her?

It was a perfect opportunity after all with so many crowded about.

She had nothing from being in the Gardens upon to now. Nothing that would warrant her wearing something 'red' as the agreed upon signal.

"Now then  .. Shall it be Ale or Cider? I think Cider for me  ..."

"The d'Este is an old and prestigious family", Henry said for Eleanore's benefit. "One of the premiere ducal families of Italy". If he recalled correctly, they had married into the House of Valois in France, and the Houses of Sforza, Borgia, and Gonzaga in Italy. The Baron had in the past brushed up on Italian topics as he traveled to and from Venice on his several trips.

Does the fact that his grandfather was the Duke mean he is the current duke or the Ducal heir now? Henry would not ask, as whether it was so or not, the Italian Nobleman had not offered any information voluntarily. Still, the diamonds he wore were worth a small fortune.

"I have used cristallo to fashion some of my best lenses", the astronomer conceded happily. He was too well bred to even mention that the other half of his best lenses had been fashioned from Bohemian christal. 

"As for opera, Signore 'dEste, I must agree. Having listened to Italian and German Opera, I find the Italian renditions much more to my liking. The Italian language is so elegant and romantic at the same time, just like the people who speak it. German is a language best reserved for other endeavours". Military and technical matters made the German language shine.

Lord Grey smiled at the exchange of words between the Italian cousins. "If you want to sail the Thames, Signore d'Este, perhaps I could arrange it. Lord Kingston, the Chancellor of Cambridge University where I used to lecture, owns a yacht. I thought he would race today, but it seems he will not. I am certain that he would consider it an honour to let you sail it". Lord Kingston had been so helpful in other matters, that Henry did not think the man would object, especially when the request was made for a d'Este scion. "As for competitors, I am the King's good subject, of course, and when I lectured at Cambridge, His Grace Buckingham was the Chancellor, post that his cousin Lord Kingston now holds. Prince Rupert of the Rhine I know only by his scientific reputation, while the Duke of York, the Margrave of Brandenburg-Ansbach and Lord Camberwell I know not at all".

The young Italian princess intrigued him. What was she doing in England? Would she stay long? Or would she leave at the end oof the season?

Sarah and Chatham

Charles laughed, a rich peal of mirth.

"We need, I think, have little fear of my becoming too serious," he said lightly, laughter still bubbling in his voice.

That amusement vanished as he, like Sarah, was taken off guard by the announcement of the next race. He frowned in the direction of the announcer.

"Unless we shared a delusion, the second heat was originally announced as being between Cumberland and Camberwell, yes. Vexing to have it changed on such short notice," he said in the mild, dry tone he used to express minor annoyance.

Sarah found it a little more than merely minorly annoying, to judge from her reaction. 

She has a temper, it seems, but then who worth knowing does not?

"I imagine his Majesty will race Cumberland instead. As for mischief... impossible to know, of course, but most likely there was a miscommunication somewhere between the organizers of the heats and the announcers," he answered, putting aside his perverse attraction to temperamental women and letting his eye flick searchingly about over the crowd and river, looking for any sign of trouble. Despite his words, he was not going to blithely ignore the possibility of there being something afoot. 

"Betting on each heat was always open until that heat started, I think," he continued, finding no cause for alarm. "Though I am not certain how wagers placed on the basis that the heats would be as first announced will be dealt with now."

The simplest way, of course, would be to view a wager on, for example, his Majesty as a wager for the King to win, regardless of who his opponent was, but that left open the irritating scenario where one might have backed both King and Cumberland, or Buckingham and Camberwell, and thus ended up effectively wagering against oneself.

Further speculation was cut off as the second heat got underway. Compared to the first it was much less dramatic, with Buckingham literally sailing to victory. Charles applauded, but was not roused enough to cheer.

"Say this for his grace, he has style," he commented, and then turned to face Sarah.

"I will not claim to have won our wager, as when that was entered into we both imagined that his Majesty would be Buckingham's opponent."

"You may have a point, Lady Frances. Pain was so great I thought I would die. I started relying far too much on uisge. I got to the brink but, thank God, I walked back from it".

As the Duke won, Frances let go of his arm. Although his face did not show it, his heart was saddened by it. Still, her spontaneity was a sight to behold, and drew a smile to his face. A thought started forming in his head. Too early still, but certain things took time, especially in certain circumstances. Especially in ducal circumstances.

Turning to see her in the eye, Duncan asked: "Lady Frances, may I have your permission to ask His Grace Newcastle if I may keep correspondence with you?" Little enough was said, so she could say no in a myriad ways. Nothing said about emotions or commitments, so their relationship could remain a friendship if she so wished. But if she were to want more, perhaps... just perhaps... For a second, a heart full of pain dared to hope.

Then her replies. A great way to change the topic in case he had been too forward.

"The Newcastle racing horses are famous, and rightly so. Do you race?" She probably did not, but the Lowlander did not want to assume. "Walking in parks is a relaxing activity. Do you draw or paint when you do?"

"As for me", Duncan replied, "I am a soldier at heart, and a Scot second. I divide my time between London on one hand, and Edinburgh and Melville Castle on the other. My obligations make it so..." Since she had confided in him, the Viscount decided to confide in her. "I am of a mind to raise a new Regiment. The Royal Artillery Regiment. It will be an uphill battle, as the King must agree, then Parliament must agree, then funding needs to be procured, then land and installations, then recruiting and training men and officers. But I think fewer of His Grace Charles' subjects would die if I do". A pause. "Perhaps I am a fool, but if I can achieve that, I will have done the Three Realms a great service".

For a moment, both his sadness and the yachts were forgotten. There was a fire in his eyes that had not been there a few moments before. "I may never go back to the field of battle, Lady Frances, but by God I will prepare and protect those that will". 

Edited by Duncan Melville

He had lost five pounds on York.  It was his duty to bet on the King.  Let Beverley wager on Cumberland, as Charles was certain that King and Kingston were the unbeatable pair. It was also possible that contenders might not try their hardest against the King.

"Fifty pounds on the King," Langdon wagered, hoping to make back some of the money he spent at the carnival on oddities.

The Queen's Platform

Sophia sent Anna off with her own wager at the same time that the Queen announced hers. “I’ve done the same,” she grinned. “You seem to have read my mind, Your Majesty. I suppose I should learn to hide my thoughts better or it won’t be long before you learn all of Spain’s secrets.” She remembered well their playful political banter when they had met in the garden, and sought to continue it.

The reasoning behind her own bet was simple: one sovereign on the King for Spain, one for her, and one on Cumberland, because he had listened to her plea at that long-ago ball and might be part of the reason that Francis had allowed her to marry Esteban instead of foisting her on some nobody who would have made her miserable.  Despite the problems she currently faced. she was happy now, possibly thanks to Cumberland’s intervention.

“Very well,” she said to the Queen’s instructions. “I did include two bottles.”

The next race would probably start at any moment. “Are you looking forward to the masque as much as I am, Your Majesty? Though, in truth, I’m more excited about the christening of our future King.”

Langdon's Ladies (well, two of them anyway)

Susan Herbert’s gaze wandered while the Queen, Lady Dorothea, and Lady Toledo chattered in German. She had never liked the sound of the language. It sounded like everyone who spoke it had something stuck in their throat and was trying to dislodge it. She caught Charles looking at her and smiled back at him, hoping that her fellow ladies-in-waiting wouldn’t notice the pretty blush that splashed across her cheeks.

Charles might also see Catherine Sedley walking by the riverbank with a well-dressed gentleman who was unremarkable in appearance. They had their heads together like conspiring children and their laughter pierced the air. A few moments later, they disappeared from view, almost as if they had never been there at all.

The trumpets blared and the race was on!

The crowd noise grew to a crescendo asthe yachts appeared into view.  Soldiers, workers, and the mob of onlookers all joined in shouting, mostly for the King.  Some just shouted at the spectacle.   Any conversation would have needed to pause as the roar grew deafening.

The two yachts were within a single prow's length of each other.  Cumberland was the Lord Admiral of England and his crew moved like clockwork to keep pace with the royal yacht that, displayed a bit more opulence than designed for speed.

Nevertheless, the King's yacht edged that of Cumberland by half a prow.  The King's sailors knew there would be no excuse for failure and Kingston stood at the helm shouting commands.

Hats flew into the air to celebrate.  The race was much closer than anticipated.  The King would need to improve in the next heat if he wished to beat Buckingham or even the Margrave. 

"I'm sorreh tae hear that."* Douglas lied, on the subject of Elizabeth Maitland being ill. His enquiry at the opening Reception had been purely polite, since he'd noticed the Duchess was missing, but now he had a rather different interest in her health. 

He was also becoming more accustomed to the mannerisms of Maitland himself. The first time the man had given him the 'and what has this to do with me?' line, Douglas had been genuinely concerned to offend him by bothering him with something inconsequential. Now he'd heard it several times, and saw the keenness for information in the demand that he tell Lauderdale what he knew. The old man was becoming less frightening, though still worthy of deep respect. 

"Merriweather didnae commit suicide." He told the man quietly. "He was hung," again the deliberate misuse of the word, "his wrists teed, thain unteed afore he was left tae be foond." But the question was by whom. "By aw acoonts thair er plenty wha micht wish him deed."** And if someone was going around killing people everyone hated, Maitland might be in mortal danger. 

But that wasn't the real concern. How to approach the subject? "Tae yer earlier question, I examined the foondations o' my castle an' foond a section stuid verra firm, but held somethin' unexpected." He revealed, not yet clarifying on what exactly that surprise was. "T'luiks tae be the second auldest section."*** He added. The oldest section was yet to be examined. 

"But whit concerns me noo in Windsor in that thair was nearly a second killin'." He spoke quietly as people cheered Buckingham's triumph over Camberwell. That was a second bet he was down. Perhaps he should have thought better than to bet against a businesswoman. "This mornin' my sister Fiona is sat in beid wi' a twisted ankle frae fallin' off her horse, efter abody shot at her yesterdae." He said simply, before turning that deep blue gaze from the boats to Lauderdale himself. "Ye wuidnae happen tae ken ocht aboot that, wuid ye Yer Grace?"+ He asked. 

Lauderdale was known to employ many spies; perhaps he knew more than Douglas did about Fiona's would-be killer. Or perhaps he knew because the cause was much closer to home, either himself or his wife. It had best not be himself, because God help him but Douglas was armed and was stood right next to him

Subtitles
* "I'm sorry to hear that."
** "Merriweather didn't commit suicide. He was hung, his wrists tied, then untied before he was left to be found. By all accounts there are plenty who might wish him dead."
*** "To your earlier question, I examined the foundations of my castle and found a section stood very firm, but held something unexpected. It looks to be the second oldest section."
+ "But what concerns me now in Windsor is that there was nearly a second killing. This morning my sister Fiona is sad in bed with a twisted ankle from falling off her horse, after somebody shot at her yesterday. You wouldn't happen to know anything about that, would you Your Grace?"

Lauderdale and Dundarg

The information about Merriweather was only of mild interest to the Duke.  It was not clear how well he knew the scoundrel.  He nodded at Dundarg's assessment.  "A man not likely to be missed," he agreed quietly.

The foundation of Dundarg Castle seemed of greater interest, and he listened carefully for any message that might be conveyed by implication.  It seemed, on reflection, just a truthful rendition.

It was the third topic that held greater interest, though he showed no sign of it necessarily.  He was unsure what the captain knew about things between his half sister and the Duke.  It was hard to know; but, by the way he insinuated that Maitland might know the assassin, it was a clue Douglas knew something.

"I am sorry to hear that," he replied seriously enough.  "If it were my sister," he began, "and someone was trying to hurt her, I think I would have her guarded and not given the opportunity to go riding.  Windsor has a history of danger every season we have spent here," he sighed.

He looked Douglas in the eye briefly.  "Fiona McBain loved a man that tried to kill me twice.  That was a foolish thing she did, but I want you to know that I bear no animus towards her.  Many Scots have wanted me dead, so I know what it is like to be hunted.  I will pray that she stays safe.  I suspect you will be a better guardian than ... your other half sister."  It was clear which sister he meant.

Lauderdale and Dundarg

It was true that Merriweather wasn't likely to be missed, and Douglas again questioned why  he was bothering to pursue the matter. He just had this feeling that the death was only the tip of the iceberg, the small crime, as it were. Something else was afoot, he was certain. And the fortune teller had warned him that the rope would hang two men. 

If Lauderdale understood what Douglas was trying to say by speaking of his castle's foundations, he gave no sign of it, and the big Highlander wondered whether he was being too obscure, or whether Lauderdale didn't wish to indicate understanding. This sort of thing frustrated him, Douglas didn't feel that he was good at subtle, but neither did he wish to say too much, too quickly. 

John Maitland met his gaze briefly, and said that he bore Fiona no ill will. At those words a certain tension left Dundarg's frame. The man could be lying of course, but given his sister's recent revelation he didn't think so. "I am please tae hear that, Yer Grace." He said honestly. "Fiona an' I er close, closest haps o' aw my sisters, an' she haes expressed regret tae me fer her past choices." Perhaps not for the reasons Maitland might hope, but still. "Indeed, she tells me that she haes alrairdy conveyed her apologies tae ye. Personally." He said, with just a little emphasis on that last word. "Which is aw tae the guid."* He added, to prevent Lauderdale thinking that he might have a fight on his hands. 

Douglas intended to be as good a guardian as he could, though he would not speak ill of Cat. "I will guard the girls wi' my life." He assured the man. "Efter aw, family is the foondation o' ony man's castle."** He added, inviting Lauderdale to consider his earlier comments about foundations in light of those words. If his sisters were the foundations, then the second-oldest part of the castle was, of course, Fiona. 

The King and Cumberland ran a much closer heat, neck and neck to the very end, but His Majesty was over the line first. Indeed, who would dare to win against the King? Douglas mused wryly that he was down fifteen pounds to Ellen Doolittle; perhaps it was best to view it as an investment. 

Subtitles
* "I am pleased to hear that, Your Grace. Fiona and I are close, closest perhaps of all my sisters, and she has expressed regret to me for her past choices. Indeed, she tells me that she has already conveyed her apologies to you. Personally. Which is all to the good."
** "I will guard the girls with my life. After all, family is the foundation of any man's castle."

Edited by Douglas FitzJames

The Queen's Platform

The platform erupted with cries of the Queen and her ladies, urging the King to victory.  Some might have a hoarse voice after such an episode.

The Queen clapped and some of the maids did a twirl to celebrate.  Once the ruckus died down, Karoline replied to Sophia.  "I doubt you know all of Spain's secrets," she teased back.  "A German girl in England is not likely to be trusted with much, I fear ... regardless of your husband."  That was true enough.  Even Queen Karoline was ignorant of most of the secrets in the English realm.

"The masque shall be fine for a few dances," she agreed, "but I worry that the drunken and libertine courtiers are likely to ruin the mood.  I had suggested serving cider only, but the King, my husband, would have none of it."  Perhaps she should not have said so much, but she was proper and disapproved of her husband's merry court, for multiple reasons. 

Sarah and Chatham 

He had heard it as well.

"It must be some kind of miscommunication between the yachts and land as you say. Or perhaps someone had written all the names wrong for each race?"

"But clearly it is impossible to change now."

She watched him begin to look about the area where they were but he showed no signs of any true worries so she did not comment.

"Well we can hardly change our bets now - and even if we did would we not bet against ourselves - so we have no choice but to abide by how it was stated."

The Race was had and it was Buckingham that won which made her happy for she had wagered on him to win.

He then spoke of not claiming a wager  ....

"Well I can hardly hold you to fault when things changed can I?"

"Besides wagering is no fun without a forfeit ......  Shall we too then change ours?"

She raised one brow in question.

"Since we both are affected it should be a forfeit that can be done together do you not think?"

She was testing him again to see just how far he would go.

"If you do then   ........ What shall it be  ...... "

"There are so many ideas how can we chose just one?"

She fixed him with a teasing grin.

"But let us wait for this last Race and once done make our agreements."

Duncan and Frances 

He smiled and seeing it made her happy but then he asked her something that was all too serious.

She listened to him keeping her gaze fixed on his face until he was done. She was quick to answer back.

"My Father's permission is not required Lord Melville. What answer could I give but 'yes'? I should be most happy for that to happen."

"I have alway thought that having another person to tell things and to listen in return a worthy thing and it is not an easy thing to come by either. Not in that superficial way one exchanges correspondences but in a way that speaks to ones mind and heart and soul. The exchanging of ideas and plans  ......"

She paused and gave a little smile adding

"And now you see I have a tendency to ramble on. I hope that is not an impediment or a thing you find offensive?"

But she held his gaze nonetheless. 

"But if you wish to you may make that request to my Lady Mother first. She will not object. Besides its just letter writing and not something that he would consider worth getting involved in."

What she did not say was

but if this progress than naturally my father will have to be made aware for it will be his decision alone that shapes my future and for any ties that might bind Melville to Cavendish 

"I do not Race but enjoy going to Newmarket for the Season there. I try my hand at the other two but alas I shall never be a 'Great Artist'. Nor do I have the Skills like Lady Toledo has."

He then spoke to her of his own life in Scotland.

But it was when he made a confession and said it with such quiet determination that her admiration for him grew.

"A Regiment  .... Yes it will indeed be something that will require much determination. I know little but I can understand the difficulties you will face from both the King and Parliament  ..... Would I be right in thinking that you have some land already marked out? As to the getting and training of soldiers - can that not be delegated to whomever you think is best suited amongst your Officers?"

"I think that this is indeed such a FINE thing that you seek to do. You are no fool Lord Melville. You are a man with Passion and Loyalty and His Majesty would be the fool to not see that."

"And I believe that you will indeed achieve this and I shall proudly cheer you on ...... I shall also be there for those times that you feel lost or lose Faith  ....... For that is what I am meant to do."

He might well see the admiration in her eyes as well as something else if he were to look deeper.

The royal herald clarified that the House would pay those that bet on the Margrave,  Buckingham and the King, even though a couple of races were redefined by the King.  

There was a small break as Buckingham and the Margrave's yachts returned to the starting line for the next heat.  The winner would race the King for the victory cup.  This allowed time for further betting.

And so it was that Louis remained with his cousin Nicolette.  She was of no mind to join the races.  A sadness had enveloped her and it was the duty of Louis to stay with her, tossing stones into the Thames and listening to the cheers as yachts finished the race.  The yachts came in view of the two cousins periodically as they made ready to turn and wait for the next heat.

Louis had been prepared to wager on the King and Buckingham, but he was to be satisfied with a quiet distance from the crowd.  Perhaps Nicci had some fever.  When she was ready, he would escort her back to her room. 

Langdon had been cheering with the others for the King's victory.  He was now 45 pounds richer as a result!  He was not inclined to wager on the upcoming Margrave-Buckingham race.  While Buckingham should win, so too should have York.  Maybe there was some underhanded tactics at work.

As he looked about in the crowd, he was fairly certain that he saw Catherine Sedley!  She should have been back in London, he supposed.  She seemed to be with some gentleman.  Though there was a momentary pang of jealousy, he was glad that she was socializing at court.  He wanted her to be happy.  As quickly as she appeared, she was gone.  He resolved to be alert for future Catherine sightings.