JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Yacht Race - Friday afternoon-evening

Defiance

Duncan and Francis 

She turned at the sound of a mans voice and waited for the introduction

"Lord Melville." She gave a curtsey. "Of course. I should welcome the company."

"Is it not a good day for Racing? The sun has finally appeared and the wind shall either be a good or bad thing."

"Are you placing a wager then? If so will you offer me advice?"

"I know almost nothing about such vessel and while I do know those involved save for the Margrave I wonder who is the best candidate?"

"Shall I wager on Buckingham and the King out of Duty or simply go on a whim?"

She knew, as did almost Everyone, of the death of his wife and if the chance came without causing too much distress she would offer him her Condolences.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chatham, placing bets...

Charles drew in a deep, satisfied breath, savouring the palpable energy on the air. He might not have been competing, but he fed off the crowd nonetheless, the ebullient thrill of being so very alive filling him, showing in his every movement and shining out of his every pore. It was the sort of day that Charles loved best, brisk and bright, and at that moment it seemed almost impossible that the world had not been made and ordered purely for his pleasure.

He had business in mind, of course, but it could wait he decided. It was time for gambling. He headed for the booth, whistling jauntily to himself and admiring the dramatic way his rich purple justacorps fluttered in the breeze. Wodehouse had done well with his master's ensemble for the day, Charles felt: under the justacorps he wore a subtly damasked waistcoat and breeches, both in forest green. His eye patch matched his justacorps, while his cravat and stockings, in contravention of his valet's usual principles, were of chartreuse, as was the sash he wore about his waist. Wodehouse had even changed out the plumes in the magnificent tricorn Charles had spent some of his Merry Gang winnings on, replacing the burgundy and yellow ostrich feathers with purple and green. Jewellery, as ever, had been kept to a minimum: plain gold pocket watch and cravat pin, and a gold ring set with an amethyst. The enamelled brooch he had purchased the previous afternoon had been pinned to his lapel, while his favourite rapier rode on his left hip, its weight balanced by his hip flask on the opposite side.

Reaching the booth, he smiled politely at the attendant.

"Ten pounds on his Highness the Duke of York in the first heat, and fifteen pounds on his Majesty in the third. As for the second..."

Charles paused, thinking a moment, and then flipped a coin.

Tails.

"Ten pounds on Lord Camberwell in the second heat."

(Those sums were perhaps a little larger than he had planned on wagering, but in his current mood it would have seemed a travesty of miserliness to stake any less.)

... and approaching Sarah Jennings

Turning from the booth to seek a vantage point for the races, Charles caught sight of an acquaintance to whom he had not spoken in what suddenly seemed to him to be far too long. Sarah Jennings had been kind and helpful when he had first come to court, and she was in any case more than pretty, and an excellent conversationalist to boot.

"Mistress Jennings," he hailed her merrily, inclining his head in greeting as he approached. "It is a pleasure to see you again."

Frances and Duncan

”It is a great day to sail indeed. I think there will be more than one close calls”. Which would, of course, add to the excitement.

“I have only sailed as part of the crew of a larger vessel. To the Carib. The one time I was invited to a yacht, it was as a passenger. Lots of fun, but I did not take time to learn how to handle one. However…”

Duncan’s voice changed to almost a whisper.

”Although I am not a seasoned courtier, I will try to think like one. Every court function, these races included, serve a political purpose. Thus, I think that the winners of the first round will be the Margrave, Prince Rupert, and the King. I may be totally wrong, of course, but those will be my bets?” Duncan was willing to lose up to a hundred pounds in the event. It was for a good cause, after all.

”What about you, my lady? Do you feel strongly for any of the competitors?”

All was in readiness.  Mounted patrols of the Guard were showing the flag on both shores.  Any place an assassin might hide was under watch of the Guard or the yeomen.  This freed Charles to visit the races as a spectator.

Of course, he would have his eye out for suspicious  characters in the crowd.  He had discused plans with Lord Beverley and had decided to join him protecting the Queen and the Queen's ladies.  There was one Queen's lady in particular that held his eye, though he needed to feign that there was no bond between them.  As such, he would be free to admire all of the ladies in the crowd.  One of his tunics had been shredded by the tiger, leaving only one other formal tunic.  He expected a replacement from London within the week.  His hand rested on his saber hilt as he surveyed the crowd from the area near the Queen.  Sophia and Eleanor were drawing near.  Sophia looked as if her birthing was drawing near as well.  

There would be time enough for betting on the races.  He did not have much money, but he knew to place wagers on the King's ship in every heat, as well as York.  Other than that, he felt no compelling need to show support for the other entrants.  He respected Cumberland greatly, but he would let Beverley support that Royal.  If Monmouth was here, he would wager on him certainly.  It would be his duty.

Sarah with Chatham Approaching 

She was standing a few paces apart from those she had arrived with and was looking out over the water clearing in some kind of contemplation  .. 

Turning to look over a should her as her name was called out her eyes rested upon the gaily attired Earl of Chatham

"Lord Chatham  ..." She dipped a curtsey. "What miracle has occurred where you now arrive like a peacock and not the Dark Lord we all know?"

She teased and her eyes danced with amusement as she took him all in.

"Have you lost a wager perhaps? Or, like a butterfly, now emerged to its full Beauty?"

"I must complement on the color choice tho  ..."

She indicated her own dress in apple green taffeta that when she moved a pale lavender could also be seen in the material. Her jewelry were simple pearls but amethyst stones were set at intervals round the necklace and matched what she wore in her ears. 

"We should have a care or some might think we are together. But then today is made for merriment so I shall be daring indeed."

"But I am happy to see you - it has been long has it not? You are keeping well?"

Her interest and questions were sincere.

"Have you waged yet? I am still unsure how 'loyal' I need to be."

"Obviously Duty says York as I attend his wife but the Margrave is an unknown so might there be some 'beginners luck' in that race?"

"Who did you bet on? I will wager in all three. I shall take your advice if you will give it."

Her eyes met his one and she waited for his response.

Posted (edited)

Lady Lucas 

She arrived with friends then separated for a while allowing for meeting and greeting of acquaintances. 

For herself she was now moving about looking to see if any of the Cavendish's were present - she wanted to meet with the Duchess and hopefully arrange a meeting. They had yet to discuss what to do about her younger daughter Lady Margaret and as for the elder sister Frances, well, it had been said already that two sister's on the Market was just not done and her gaze told her that that Lady was in conversation with Lord Melville who was now a widower and perhaps wished to find a new wife? Although the right amount of time before marrying again had to be observed and he was a titled gentleman albeit a Scottish one yet he might well suit Frances. She also say Mistress Eleanore as well and while she had not had much of an engaging conversation at the Stargazing she could make up for that now she supposed. Her son John she wondered at again. He was so rarely seen these days but she had long since given up hope of him ever including her in his plans unless it was something important to the Family.

It really was a fine day for a Race!

She also would place a wager or two. Small but one never knew if a profit might be had. She would wager on The King as was right.

Edited by Cordelia Lucas

Sarah and Chatham

Charles laughed delightedly.

'Dark Lord.' I like that. I shall have to remember it.

"Oh, I have always been a peacock," he said lightly, "it is merely that today my valet decided that I should dress like one, too." 

He laughed again and spread his arms wide, the better to show off. Charles had never had any compunction at making sport of himself.

"It is a good choice of colours," he agreed, eye twinkling merrily, "though I confess that I would have opted for another, had I known what I know now."

He lowered his voice conspiratorially.

"You wear it rather better."

He grinned at her, a natural, boyish grin, not one of the dozens of similar expressions he had deliberately crafted over the years. Artifice had its place, but sincerity was far superior when it was appropriate to be sincere, or so Charles had found.

"Oh, I have been keeping well enough, thank you. Fortune has had its vagaries, as it ever does, but that keeps life interesting, hmm? And how have you been?"

The question of wagering prompted a rueful smile and a shrug.

"For myself, I have backed York, Camberwell and his Majesty, though out of... sentiment, shall we say, rather than judgement. I have travelled widely, but all that I learned of sailing is that I know very little of sailing. I do think we will see an upset, though, which is why I opted for Camberwell over Cumberland, though the Margrave triumphing over York could just as easily be that upset."

He shrugged again.

"In truth, were it not for the day that is in it, and the cause, I would likely not wager at all — I loathe gambling on things where I have no control over the outcome. The only advice I can give you, then, is rather general: wager for the fun of it, not out of any expectation of profit, and do not stake anything you are not entirely happy to lose, and both points you have likely heard already."

Douglas and Ellen

Yeah, it was proper to eat indoors. There were a lot of enjoyable things, simple pleasures, that didn't count as proper. Douglas tended not to care so much, and eating outside in the sunshine was a pretty innocent enjoyment. It was nice to hear that she liked it too. 

The big Scotsman was keeping one eye on the various arrivals, and spotted the Duke of Lauderdale amongst the most recent batch, interestingly without his wife. For a moment the man's gaze angled his way, and Douglas nodded in acknowledgement. He wanted to talk to Maitland and would when there was a polite opportunity. For the moment however he had the company of a lady whom he'd at the very least like to get to know better. 

Ellen queried why Kingston would change out his crew. Douglas shrugged. "His Majesty's orders." He said simply. In court, that explained everything. What the King wanted, most of the time he got. "I 'spect he wanted tae gie the Margrave a chance, an' handicap Kingston's advantage." Then the race order was read out, and Kingston's name was nowhere on it at all. "Soonds like Kingston's been removed entirely."* He observed quietly. Now why would that happen? And where was he? Douglas glanced over at the parties heading for the boats but couldn't see him. 

Oh well, there were races to be run and bets to be laid. The King commanded. "Shall we wager against each o'er?" He asked. There didn't seem to be a bookie, just a tent to register bets, so presumably one had to organise a betting partner. "Ye choose yer boat fer each heat - Lairdies first - an' I'lk tak' th'other ane."** He offered. 

It might sound as though Douglas was setting himself up to lose and give Ellen an unfair advantage, but from his point of view it would be interesting to see how she picked. 

Subtitles
* "His Majesty's orders. I expect he wanted to give the Margrave a chance, and handicap Kingston's advantage. It sounds like Kingston's been removed entirely."
** "Shall we wager against each other? You choose your boat for each heat - Ladies First - and I'll take the other one."

Eleanor and Sophia

“I hope it will be. The renovations are finally finished and I’m quite happy with the results.” Sophia doubted that her lying-in chamber resembled those of Englishwomen. It was bright and cheerful, decorated with pastel colors, and her favorite paintings adorned the walls.

“Thank you,” she said to Eleanor’s compliments. “Your lady mother sounds very wise. I took those insults personally when I first came to court and often felt unwanted, but now I usually respond with sarcastic remarks of my own.” Bullies didn’t expect their victims to fight back.

“Lord Kingston is one of the kindest and most respectable gentlemen I know. I was not a model ward and now feel guilty for causing him so much trouble. He probably threw a party when I married. There are currently rumors circulating about him in the broadsheets. They are all false, so don’t believe them if you read them. I think someone is jealous of his promotion and favor with the King and seeks to ruin him. It won’t work, though. His friends know the truth. I hope the culprit is caught and punished soon.”

Unlike Sophia, it didn’t seem as if Eleanor craved being the center of attention and might even be a bit shy. “It will definitely be memorable and I’m sure you will do well.”

She had intended to answer her question about the participants, but spotted the King arriving. She dropped a curtsy and then looked around for the Queen, who was nowhere in sight. “Her Majesty invited me to sit with her today, I am so nervous and excited! I hope she arrives soon.”

Her Majesties Household

The viewing platform was a substantial structure; it was in fact the same structure that had been erected at the previous racing event, which had been carefully deconstructed, labelled and stored away for future events. Prince Rupert in his wardship of the castle was frugal of such things.  Waste was something he frowned upon. 

The roof of the platform, a vibrant canvas, was punctured by flag poles. From these, the Royal Banner, The Royal Standard, and the St Georges Cross fluttered merrily in the breeze.

"There is wind, there shall be a race." Mary cheerfully told Agnes as they approached the platform.  The Queen and various others from her household were already up those stairs and settling into tapestry-draped and cushioned chairs.  Mary was in no rush to sit, so dawdled on her way to the platform... 

Karoline also seemed in no rush to sit (unlike the majority of her household, which was much older than her), and she turned to consider the growing crowds.   "Oh there is the Spanish Ambassador's Wife... Lady Dorothea, do bring her to me."  

Flashing a smile, Dorothea slipped away... 

Eleanor and Sophia, Dorothea approaching

Nearing the ladies, Dorothea awaited their look her way before final approach.  "Good day Ladies," she was not personally introduced to either, but due to the Queen's command normal protocols did not apply, "I am Lady Dorothea of Brandenburg-Ansbach, with a message for Lady Toledo."  

The young debutant hid a faint moue - concern? confusion? - when Sophia admitted she had not been a model ward. Perhaps it had been the result of grief and upheaval, for what young lady would not wish to be present at their best on debut? But it did seem to have all turned out for the best for the other woman, and she spoke of Lord Kingston in the highest terms, which was greatly reassuring. "I suppose that gossip and broadsheets are the same as whispers behind one's back; a sign of jealousy and best ignored." She opined. She hadn't read them but it was good to know that it wasn't worth the effort. If someone felt it necessary to speak out against Kingston then surely that meant the man was experiencing significant favour? Lord Mountjoy had called him Buckingham's protegee, so perhaps that was true? The protegee of the King's best friend and one of the most powerful men in the kingdom had, perhaps, much to be jealous of. 

Eleanor returned the other lady's curtsey, respectfully bobbing deeper than Lady Toledo, as the other lady made her excuse to leave. The Queen's party were fast approaching. But before she could actually leave, one of Her Majesty's party approached them. The youngest of the trio curtseyed deeply as the other introduced herself; rumour described Dorothea as a princess. "Mistress Eleanor, daughter of Viscount Bayning." She introduced herself politely. "It's been a pleasure, Lady Toledo." She added, taking a step away from the pair so that they might converse in private if they wished.

Hopefully later she would have an opportunity to speak with Lady Beverley, but for now Eleanor scanned the arrivals to see whether her Uncle Henry was amongst them, flicking her fan in that eye-catching way that indicated she was unoccupied and approachable. 

The Duchess of Newcastle approaching Cordelia

Margaret and Catherine wanted to admire the yachts, so Lady Newcastle left them at the shore with their chaperone and went in search of Lady Lucas. It was time that they spoke about Margaret’s marriage again. For the time being, she felt that pressuring Frances into another betrothal was not advisable. Not only did her favorite daughter need time to work through her feelings, but the Duchess feared that she would be blamed for the dissolution of the contract with Dorset. That had been an ill-advised match from the beginning, and she was rather happy that Frances wouldn’t have to marry him. It had been heartbreaking to watch her mope around the house as if she was preparing for her funeral instead of her wedding. If Margaret married well, then that would be advantageous for Frances too.

She noticed the daughter in question conversing with Lord Melville. While they had never met, Lady Newcastle knew who he was and that his wife had recently passed away. Maybe Lady Lucas would be able to tell her more about him.

And there she was!

The Duchess approached Cordelia with a smile. “Good afternoon, Lady Lucas. I hope you are having a wonderful season. You certainly look well.”

Near Chatham and Sarah

She could not see him anywhere and fought back the queasiness that caught at her stomach.

He had Promised!!

She went to that spot agreed upon but he was not there so she began to look about mingling with others' catching bits of conversations here and there but not stopping in one particular place.

Suddenly she saw a group that her sister was a part of and was quick to go closer to a couple  .... was that an eye-patch  ..... and the Lady was very well presented as well   ...

She was careful to not intrude but they could hardly not notice her so she thought best to move on.

It was as she was passing the Gentleman that she caught herself on a stone but did not fall her hand nearly catching his arm and in doing so unsettled the sash about his waist.

"Beg your pardon  .... Beg your pardon   ...."

Then she was mixed into the crowd leaving behind just the scent of her perfume as before.

And if one of then were to look down at the ground before them they might see the two round small diamond buttons that come lose from her sleeve as she righted herself.

Sarah and Chatham, and an unknown lady.

Charles did not notice the young lady passing close to him and Sarah until she stumbled into him — a hazard of having only one eye. Pretty eyes and the scent of expensive perfume were the better part of what he caught as he turned to face her, staggering just a little under the unexpected impact.

"No harm done," he said cheerfully, waving off her apologies only to find himself talking to her back as she continued on. That was a little rude, and he shared a look of bemused mild exasperation with Sarah. His hands moved automatically, checking himself over to make certain that he had not just had his pocket picked, and then readjusting his sash. He glanced down to make sure that the sash was sitting properly, and caught a glimmer of light from the ground. With a frown he stooped to investigate, and came up with the two buttons.

"Hold a moment, Mistress," he called after the girl. "I think you may have lost some buttons."

More Arrivals

A young gentleman dressed sumptuously in aubergine and gold reached up to prevent his hat from flying off his head. He was tall and quite handsome, with olive skin, ebony hair that curled on the nape of his neck, and intelligent dark eyes. “It’s a good day for a race,” he said in Italian.

“You should be racing yourself, Cesare,” his petite and pretty companion remarked. Her teal and amber skirts ballooned around her legs as she walked, the gold threads woven into them glittering in the sunlight.

“It wasn’t as if I knew about it, cousin.” There was a teasing note in his rich baritone voice. “Besides, those yachts are much more impressive than my own.”

“But yours is light and fast.” She flicked her fan at him. “You would have easily left them behind.”

Cesare laughed. “You know nothing about sailing, Maria.”

“Only because you won’t teach me. You’re afraid that I’ll be better than you are. And I would be!”

Another gust of wind buffeted the two, snatching the fan from Maria’s hand. It fluttered merrily through the air and though they chased after it, it continued to elude them. Finally it plummeted to the ground and disappeared from view.

“How will we ever locate it now?” Maria asked.

(OOC: Anyone want to find a runaway fan and meet some new NPCs?)

“Definitely best ignored,” Sophia agreed about the broadsheets. “But some people are stupid and will believe anything they hear or read. I hope those imbeciles don’t cause trouble for him.”

The young Countess’ curtsy was a bit wobbly and made her ankles ache. She doubted anybody, except perhaps Eleanor, even noticed, because everyone was giving the King deference. So anxious about the honor that was going to be bestowed upon her, she paid no attention to the announcement of the various races.

The Queen and her household arrived and approached the platform. Sophia saw Her Majesty speak to one of her ladies, who headed in their direction. Though she had seen her before, she had never heard her speak and had not been aware she was also German until she introduced herself. A possible friend, perhaps? They were probably around the same age.

Mistress Bayning introduced herself and bid her farewell. “I am Lady Toledo,” she said to Dorothea with another awkward curtsy and a warm smile.

Sarah Chatham and an unknown Lady

She smiled at his complement and gave him a small curtsey adding

"I am as well. I am a bit bored in all Truth ..... My Lady has not much going on and being here at Windsor is not the same as London."

"But today is a fine day and I intend to gain a profit."

"Yes to wager without control is not a good thing at all. But today it is just that."

"Hmmmmm   ... "

"I shall back York out of Obligation, His Majesty out of Duty, and ........ the Margrave because he is an unknown and thus might have hidden Skills."

"Will you walk with me to the betting tent and place my wagers?"

"I must keep the Properties after all!"

"And even if I lose, well, I have income enough to not worry."

It was at the moment that a young woman suddenly came between them and upset Chatham's state of dress before she disappeared into the crowds around them.

"Heavens! Of all things to do and not even stop ......."

"Are you undone My Lord?"

She turned back to cast an eye over his person.

He appeared fine and then called out to the girl adding that she had dropped something.

"Let me see ....."

She turned to look back into the crowds but saw no sign of the girl. Just the lingering scent.

"I do not see her. And they are not simple buttons. These are diamonds! And well made and set."

"Who do you think she was? Did you get a good look at her?"

"Perhaps you should keep them and then if word goes around of them lost you can return them. They are far too valuable after all."

"And that scent - a mix of things and of a kind I have never smelt - a private mixing I would guess   ..."

After his replies she would then move them onto the betting area.

Just who might she had been  ... and how odd not to stop  ..... 

Douglas and Ellen

"So you think it odd for Kingston to be removed then?"

"And Looking around I do not see that Gentleman at all. Perhaps he has a reason to be absent?"

"Against each other ..."

She pondered for a few minutes then looked upon at him 

"Done!"

"The Margrave against York - an unknown so perhaps has the advantage.

Cumberland against Camberwell

The King against Buckingham"

"Have I left you with the disadvantage then?"

"Perhaps yes or perhaps not."

"Now what shall the loser have to do as a forfeit?"

She was curious as to just what he might have to give up when he lost!

Her smile flashed and her eyes shone with amusement.

"Lead the way then Sir and place our wagers."

In dressing for the yacht race Mountjoy was in a bit of a conundrum. As Ursula had said nothing to the contrary last evening, he assumed she would accompany the Queen as she normally did so he had a difficult choice ahead of him. Should he wear a red coat and breeches as befitting a member of the Household or should he wear a blue coat in deference to the Navy?  It was a momentous decision. He ultimately decided to favor the navy and donned a dark blur velvet coat with enough gold lace to give him a martial bearing but not enough to be mistaken as an admiral.

As he was leaving he made sure to grab his telescope but before he left he had some words with his secretary Oliver berating him for his idle gossip spreading the falsehood of the Margravina leaving the Queen’s service.

Joining the Queen’s party before their arrival he immediately noticed that Ursula was not at the Queen’s side but did not think much of it for it was not uncommon for Ursula to be away from the Queen on some errand. He only had time for a few perfunctory nods and salutations before, like the annual flow of the Nile, the party streamed up onto the viewing platform. As he would not sit before the Queen, he remained standing and like her majesty looked over the growing crowed seeing many familiar faces but unlike the Queen did not see the person he was looking for. He stayed two paces behind the Queen but off to the side so he was close enough for her to beckon if she needed him but not far enough away that he would not interrupt her. He was as attentive to the nearby ladies as he could be and was often heard to reply “It is a naval telescope Mam, it enlarges far away objects.”  But his eyes would always dart towards any figure approaching the stand or sweep the crowd for new arrivals

Sarah and Chatham, and an unknown lady.

Charles suppressed a sympathetic wince at Sarah's complaint of being bored. He was not (any longer) one of those fools who reckoned boredom worse than physical torment, but he still thought it a torturous thing, with a corrosive quality that wore one down to the nub.

Especially when one is young and fair and clever and spirited...

"It is a terrible thing, not to have adequate employment or distraction for one's mind and energy, and Windsor sadly does not have the range of diversions that London offers, even with the circus," Charles agreed, smiling in commiseration, "but as you say today, at least, promises to be entertaining, even leaving aside the potential for profit."

He cocked his head to one side as Sarah settled on her wagers.

"The Margrave and York are competing against one another," he pointed out. "To wager on both is to back against yourself."

He was about to offer her his arm when the unknown woman stumbled against him. There was no harm done, beyond the disordering of his sash, and Charles smiled at Sarah's concern.

"I should like to think that it would take a little more than that to undo me," he said lightly, "though it was a little rude, yes."

He bounced the buttons on his palm, a slight frown of contemplation creasing his brow as he tried to find the girl and track her path through the crowd.

"Curious, though. I wonder at the cause for her hurry..."

He shook himself and faced Sarah.

"I did not make out much of her features, I fear. She has green eyes, but that is about all I noticed. I do not think I have ever seen her before. Evidently wealthy, of course, judging from the buttons and that scent, but that is not distinctive on its own. I think I will hang onto these, as you suggest, until I hear that someone has lost them. Do let me know if you hear of anyone looking for them."

He offered her his arm.

"But in the interim, let us see about placing your wagers, shall we?"

The Duchess of Newcastle approaching Cordelia

At the sound of her name she turned dipping into her curtsey for she knew the person.

"Good afternoon Your Grace. Yes it is indeed a fine day and I am well enough."

"And I shall return the complement to You."

She smiled adding

"You are unattended?"

Naturally she meant any Family member. A servant did not count and was expected to be there.

"I thought I saw Lady Frances   ...... Ah yes there with Lord Melville I believe  ......"

"Interesting pairing. What do you think? Have they been acquainted all along? Well here at Court one 'knows' everyone on a superficial basis I suppose."

"And how is Lady Margaret?"

"We have yet to have any discussions and I do not know if Windsor is conducive but a start can at least be made."

"I would like to see Lady Margaret with a contract and perhaps even wed by next years end."

"It will be a challenge as I am sure you are aware."

This said in reference to that daughter's past behaviors and words.

Sarah and Chatham

She stopped walking as he made his point about her wager.

"What?"

"Yes of course. How silly of me. Will I be allowed to change it then?"

"I shall go with The Margrave for the reasons I have said."

"The King over Buckingham and Cumberland over Camberwell."

She half turned trying to see if that person might be seen but nothing.

"Do you suppose she is being chased? Or looking for someone that is lost?"

"If it is the latter that might explain her hurriedness   ...."

"Yes do keep them. I would think it will be noticed and she might well have to retrace her steps."

"Now."

She said as she tucked her arm thru his to continue on.

"Since we are betting effectively 'together' what shall the loser have to forfeit?"

"Shall we settle before placing them or let it be a spur of the moment?"

"After all there is no fun in a simple win right?"

She was flirting and did not care.

Her thoughts in regards to another Gentleman had not panned out much but the Hope lingered.  

In the mean time she knew she was pretty, intelligent, and the fact that she was a co-heiress with her elder sister to their late father's estate also could not go unnoticed.

Eleanor, Sophia & Dorothea

"Pleased to meet you, Mistress Bayning... I have heard your name in connection to your needlework, I think?"  With a sunny disposition, Dorothea replied to the new lady as she recognised the name (Mary had mentioned something a few days ago.)

Setting aside the pleasantries, she turned her attention to Sophia, "Her Highness is eager to see you, Lady Toledo." 

Dorothea was distracted for half a moment by a nearby lifeguard in full uniform, his hand on the hilt of his sabre.  It was reckless Bradley Whitehurst's older brother.  She took a half step away and motioned that the new lady also pay caution.  "I trust you have a companion to guide you, Mistress Bayning? Her Majesty would not wish to leave any young woman vulnerable." 

Dorothea's eyes met Sophia's, exchanging an understanding smile.

Sophia, Eleanor and Dorothea

If Sophia's curtsey was a little wobbly Eleanor would never comment; God knew the heavily pregnant Countess had reason enough to be unstable on her feet. Bringing new life into the world was women's sacred duty and blessing, as well as their trial; surely worthy of a little empathy as she hoped to one day be.

Eleanor had been content to depart rather than intrude on her social superiors further, but Dorothea spoke warmly to her, saying that she had heard her name mentioned in connection with needlework. The young girl's face practically lit up with a radiant smile, to think that those in important circles had been speaking of her! "Why thank you, I do my own embroidery," she replied, gesturing lightly to her dress with it's intricate decorations of delicate flowers and the occasional curling fern leaf. "Her Majesty was kind enough to comment, during the introductory soiree, and asked if she might see some more closely." She revealed, still struggling to believe that had actually happened. "I am in fact to meet with Lady Beverley today to speak about arranging a time; at her leisure of course." Which explained why Eleanor was loitering in the vicinity of the Royal seating, though she was hardly alone in that. But perhaps Dorothea might be kind enough to mention to Mary St Leger that Eleanor was in the vicinity?

Lord Langdon passed nearby and Eleanor couldn't help but notice Lady Dorothea step back and even motion Lady Toledo to caution. The man had always been nothing but charming to her, but perhaps there was more than she was beginning to suspect to the warning she had been given about him? 

The thought was reinforced when Dorothea asked whether Eleanor had someone here to look out for her. Her chaperone Mary was lingering just behind and beside her charge, but apart from the older woman - and of course Lady Toledo - Eleanor was indeed currently alone. "My uncle, Lord Grey, does not appear to have arrived yet." She admitted quietly, her gaze lowered, a little embarrassed. "I had expected to meet him here." She didn't like to admit any failing on the part of family, and she trusted Mary to have her best interests at heart, but it was true that she was currently unaccompanied. 

Posted (edited)

Ellen and Douglas

Did Douglas think it odd for Kingston to have been removed from the line-up? The big man shrugged. "Haps he does hae a reason." He agreed. Ellen might well be right, it might be nothing to do with the King's whims. "But I alsae note that aw th'other entrants er heely ranked at coort." He pointed out quietly. "Haps the King doesnae want Kingston showin' thaim up."* He suggested. After all, Kingston had spent a lot of his life at sea. 

Almost it seemed that Ellen might decline his offer to bet against each other, but she suddenly agreed to his suggestion. Hopefully it would make things more interesting for both of them. "Sae I tak York, Camberweel an' Buckin'ham?" He queried, just to be certain. "Hou' do ye feel aboot five poonds a heat?"** He asked, not wanting to suggest too much since she was a lady, though being a Doolittle she might well have a bigger purse than him. Certainly the Margrave had Kingston's crew and Camberwell had the inexperienced one; the last heat might be the closest. 

Then Ellen suggested an overall forfeit. With three heats one of them had to win more than the other, and he strongly suspected that Ellen would be the one to do so. What would he forfeit if he lost more heats than Ellen; and what would he like forfeited to him in the unlikely event that she did? She seemed rather amused by the idea. "Hou aboot..." he cast around for inspiration, "the ane wha looses more heats haes tae compose a poem fer th'other, on the spot."*** Whilst his work was hardly of the measure of the Merry Gang and the likes of O'Neill who'd had a proper education in such things, Douglas could turn enough words to get by with a ditty or quite quip. 

They approached the tent so that they might place their bets on the heats before the races begin. This was going to be a rather fun afternoon after all. 

"Haes yer father considered tradin' oot o' Aberdeen fer Scottish guids?" He asked Ellen as they walked away from the tent. "Tis more central tae Scotland thain Edinburgh, an' haes a better harbour thain Inverness."+ He said, remembering to use the sassanach names for the towns and not slip into the Gaelic. Unless one liked anchoring in the very tidal Moray Firth, Inbhir Nis's harbour capacity was very small. 

Subtitles
* "Perhaps he does have a reason. But I also note that all the other entrants are highly ranked at court. Perhaps the King doesn't want Kingston showing them up."
** "So I take York, Camberwell and Buckingham? How do you feel about two pounds a heat?"
*** "How about... the one who looses more heats has to compose a poem for the other, on the spot."
+ "Has your father considered trading out of Aberdeen for Scottish goods? It's more central to Scotland than Edinburgh, and has a better than Inverness."

Edited by Douglas FitzJames

Frances and Duncan

He was right - Everything did indeed have Political purposes.

"I have thought it out I came to the same conclusions as you - but perhaps the Margrave has a hidden talent and will take it by surprise?"

"And you have long been at Court so do not do yourself a disservice by thinking otherwise."

"So if this is 'Political' then why did you choose as you have?"

"What does York get in losing? Cumberland has a Navel background and is thus familiar with boats so his odd increase because of that?"

"And Buckingham plays as he always does and bends to His Majesty or will he?"

"My gamblings are more retiring and I am not one to bet recklessly. So I will follow your lead."

"I have never been to Sea. I think I might like it. Such openness I mean and the quiet."

"I miss the countryside sometimes and wish that I could spend time there. Do you miss Scotland?"

And in a quieter voice she added

"And I am sorry to hear about your wife. You have a daughter - what is she like?"

She asked before thinking that he might be upset by that so she apologized.

"I should not have asked that. Forgive me."

Sarah and Chatham

Charles hummed thoughtfully, tucking the lost buttons into the inner pocket of his justacorps.

"I would have thought it difficult to look for anyone or anything, moving with such... haste," Charles meant 'recklessness,' "nor do I see anyone who seems to pursuing her. Hmm. Perhaps she is just young, and overexcited by the occasion."

Linking arms with Sarah, he laughed delightedly at her talk of forfeits.

"No fun in a simple win indeed," he agreed, grinning. "Now, I was always taught that it was the gentlemanly thing to do in these situations to let the lady name her own stakes. For my part, though, should the Margrave overcome York..."

He trailed off, grin widening as he considered. He was rather enjoying this. Sarah was more than pretty, and excellent company besides — clever, spirited, and with that elegant self-possession he had always found powerfully attractive in women.

(The coldly sensible reptilian part of him noted that she was an heiress as well, and would doubtless make an excellent countess.)

"Should the Margrave overcome York, I will undertake to perform a single service or task that you ask of me," he finished, still grinning, and waited for Sarah to name her own forfeit.

Frances and Duncan

“The Margrave winning at least one race would please Her Majesty, I think. That would in turn please the King. And if there are any negotiations of some sort, it would also help those. Not that I know of any, but there could be. Also, he is a guest, and guests tend to be treated deferentially”,  Duncan said. “His Highness York has nothing to gain or lose, I think, but the King might. Prince Rupert is the head of the Navy Royal. Him losing on the first round would look bad… can he lead a navy if he cannot captain a yacht?” Duncan had no idea who idea who Lord Camberwell was. “As for the King versus His Grace Buckingham, it would also look bad if the King lost his first race. Knowing His Grace Buckingham, he will sail to win, but I do not think he will”.

”The Carib is beautiful. White sands and turquoise waters. Paradise, as long as a storm does not catch you on a ship. Warm year-round, with plants and animals that would make for a lifetime of work for a naturalist painter”. The Lowlander sighed. He would like to return one day. “As for bonny old Scotland, yes, I miss her. She has a primal beauty, with cool springs and cold winters. She is my homeland, and I would like to spend more time there. But I can do more for her here at the English court than in the Parliament of Scotland, so here I am. I attend to all sessions I can when I go back home though”.

As Frances gave her condolences, a momentary shadow passed over the Lowlander’s face. “You have nothing to apologize for. I accept your words in the spirit in which they were spoken, and I thank you. I loved my wife very much, and now that she has passed grief must run its course, but life goes on. As for my daughter, she is a vivacious two-year old that will grow into a beautiful Scottish lass. She is now with the dowager, my mother, back in Melville Castle”.

For some reason it hurt less to talk about Ophelia. Perhaps time was beginning to heal the wound.

”Shall we go and place our bets? What amounts were you considering?”

Frances and Duncan

She listened to his reasonings and then said the obvious

"There. You see you have plainly laid out the Politics of the races as clearly as any 'seasoned' Courtier."

"So do not discount your intelligence from now on. I think you have a fine mind and should make it seen more often."

It was a high compliment and she was not the type to just dish them out willy nilly.

"I have never been across the Borders but I should like to. And the way you describe that place, the Carib, also wants to be seen."

"But I will hardly be allowed to travel on my own although in some Truth I would like to try!"

"That is such a fun age - or at least I think I remember it to be from my younger siblings. It is when so much is discovered or so I have heard."

A light blush tinged her cheeks at the intimacy of their conversation -talking of children with a man not a relative - but she did not look away from him gaze.

"Perhaps one day you might bring her here so she can learn to love both places."

"Yes. Lead on then Lord Melville and as for amounts  ....... Shall I live dangerously and bet five pounds a race    ......"

It was more than the two she had decided but suddenly she wanted to live a bit out of her usual self. Was it because of his presence or was it because she had changed?

Perhaps it was a bit of both.