JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

One Night in Camelot

Guest John Bramston

Eleanora loved teasing him, and she smirked when he groaned in complaint. Soon, though, he was happy once more when she once again began to stroke him. When he kissed her, she opened her mouth so that his tongue could entwine with hers, moaning softly against his lips.

For the first time, she realized that they had already spent two nights together. The first one had been terrifying until he had made love to her, for they had been on his ship and she was deathly afraid of water. Still, she had fallen asleep in his arms and had not awakened until they had reached their destination.

Last night had been spent here in his study, a room in which everything in it reminded her of him. It was almost like an extension of his personality, and Eleanora believed that it would become one of her favorite places in his castle. Where would they spend the coming night? Perhaps in the big bed in his bedchamber, curled up happily in each other's arms.

As to what she wanted to learn now, she smiled shyly. “I don't know,” she answered honestly. “I'm not sure what is possible. All this is so new to me.”

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They were rushing through things. But they were both young and very much in love. Johan was convinced their passion would never fade and that every new discovery he made would be as delightful as the last. And he wanted to spend his life with her, have children with her, grow old with her. Even the thought of coming home tired to her seemed heavenly.

There were many things he didn’t know about her, what sort of food she liked, what her favorite color was… but all that seemed incidental. He felt he understood her soul, he felt theirs were intertwined. And that was enough that he’d given her his heart.

Johan reached out and traced that beautiful, shy smile with a shaking hand. My lioness, my goddess, he thought. He had his own ideas but this would be her request. “Everything is p-p-possible.” He breathed before leaning forward for another long kiss, nibbling on her lower lip. “Close your eyes. Think of us. What d-d-do you see?” His strokes became a bit more animated, rubbing around her precious pearl to make sure those dreams had an erotic tinge. Though he hoped all her dreams of him had at least a little erotic tinge.

Eleanora still had a difficult time believing how completely her life had changed in just two days. On the day of the feast at Camelot, she had awakened lonely and frightened that she would be betrothed that evening to an odious royal of her grandfather's choosing. She had dreaded the feast and had thought of feigning illness to get out of it. Now she was glad she had gone, for she would have never had met Johan. Her uncontrollable magic had brought them together, and that night her lonely bedchamber had been lonely no more. She had fallen in love with him and he had taken her away from the sorrows of her past and taught her how to truly live.

Now she looked forward to their future together, of taking care of him and bearing his children, of listening to his problems and giving him advice, of holding him close when things went wrong and laughing with him when things went right. And every night, they would fulfill each other's longings in delightful and intimate ways, falling asleep sated and snuggled together.

It was the kind of life she had never even dreamed of, but now it was hers. Whether or not his people allowed her to stay, she and Johan would remain together. Even if the first few years were spent running from her grandfather while gathering an army to defeat him, even if they barely had enough to eat or a roof over their heads, they would still be happy.

Even his shaking charmed her and when he traced her lips with his fingertips, she drew one of them into her mouth and sucked on it playfully. Eleanora continued to stroke him as he kissed her, but her hand stilled when he asked her to close her eyes and tell him what she saw. The exquisite ache between her thighs felt stronger with one of her senses gone, and bright little thrills exploded through her every part of her body.

“I see everything we have ever done before,” she said. “And I can almost feel you inside me.” Unfortunately, her passionate repertoire was rather limited and she couldn't fathom anything other than what he had already shown her.

Johan had long sought to build a place he could fill with those who loved and accepted him. He’d tried to make a home, a place where he could have his peace and heal from the wounds that had been inflicted on him. And he’d hoped to find a woman who he could share this with, who would love him so thoroughly that it filled him up and bound his scars. Who he could love without reservation.

Eleanora came with her own wounds, her own baggage. But she was that woman, and Johan would bear the weight of the world for her. Their life would not be perfect, but they would make it joyous and happy. Johan knew it was two days in some academic sense. It felt like Eleanora had been with him for a lifetime. Fate had brought them together, and love had intertwined their souls.

Johan felt a stirring when she sucked on his thumb. He smiled lustily, aroused by the playful display, and always aroused by his dear love. She saw only what they had done, “There’s still some innocence left to be c-c-corrupted, I see.” Johan gently brushed her hair.

His hand took hers and gently put it on his shoulder rather than his cock. He shifted slightly, pressing against her as he had so many times before, but this time he entered inside her. He let out a breathy exhale of pleasure as he did. Her hands were pleasurable, but her sheath really was perfect for his sword.

He rested inside her rather than moving rhythmically, shifting to create delicious friction, enjoying every little sensation, gasping when he found a particularly pleasurable spot.

Eleanora was absolutely positive that she and Johan had been made for each other. Yet if she had not gone to the feast, it could have taken many years before their paths finally crossed. That decision had been one of the best she had ever made, and even though she had been terrified and frustrated when the goblet had risen from the table and floated around the room, she was now glad that it had. It had practically led her straight into his arms. Maybe instinctively, her mind had known he was there and her magic had intentionally brought her to him. Perhaps their gifts had called to each other, even though neither of them had been aware of it.

Now she was his forever and the very notion still excited her as much as his touch. She would never be alone and neither would he. It would be hard to adjust to a new way of life and an entirely different culture than that to which she was accustomed, but she did not regret leaving Camelot with him, even if his people had been less than welcoming so far.

Eleanora believed she had only been able to stay this long because of their respect for their lord, but she would charm them when she stood before them. Safe within his arms, it was easy to be confident, and she promised herself that she would remember this morning when she was called to speak on her own behalf. Love for her beloved Johan would shine from her eyes and color her words. Everything would be all right as long as they were together.

“Corrupt me,” she replied with a saucy smile. She pouted when he removed her hand from his cock and placed it on his shoulder. A heartbeat later she was pressed closely against him again, his curves molding to the shape of his body. And then he was inside her again, filling her completely. Her inner walls stretched to accommodate him and he fit so snugly within her that she again thought that they had to be made for each other.

He didn't thrust like he usually did, but just shifted slightly. Every subtle movement gave her a unique sensation, each more pleasurable than the last. Her hand left his shoulder and tangled in his hair while the other one gently stroked his neck. Every now and then she wriggled beneath him just a bit, hoping that she was increasing his pleasure as well.

Johan didn’t think his people had any opinion of her. If there was hostility, it was less open contempt for foreigners and more how any father would act upon finding out their son had fallen hopelessly in love with a girl he’d never met. Not that his people were his father, but they did have a stake in his household.

If Eleanora had had a decent guardian, Johan would have had to nervously come before him and speak of his love too (and probably of the practicalities of how his title and lands would support her). Though if she had had a decent guardian, he would have paid her court normally and married her immediately. There was no doubt in his mind he would have still fallen in love with her and sought to, or that he would have ended up with her in the end.

Johan smiled wickedly at her saucy reply and nipped at her briefly when she pouted. He loved the feeling of her breasts pressed against him and moved against them, rubbing against her. He smiled as her hands went into his hair, loving the sensation. After a few moments, though, he moved just slightly away to make room for his hands to work, though without moving out of her. He looked at her in the eyes and smiled lustily.

Johan let out pleasured sighs and sometimes a gasp as she moved. It was subtle, but he was already stimulated from her hand and that made him sensitive so each little sensation a thrill. He gently began to move their hips together, a slow, stretching movement focused less on going deep inside her than stimulating her. His hand continued to play with her lovely pearl. He was a bit more insistent now, trying to gently guide her over that edge. His other hand went to one of her nipples and, after a brief kiss, his mouth went to the other, sucking on it.

He would stop sometimes, moaning into her breast or arching his back in pleasure, especially when she moved just so. But soon he would return, not with gusto exactly, but with love and desire. This was all… slow, but no less passionate.

Eleanora laughed when he nipped at her. She adored his playfulness. Now she realized that almost everything that she had been told about Saxons was not true. They were not fierce barbarians who ate the hearts of their enemies. Some of their customs were a bit odd to her and she still wasn't certain how she felt about being presented with her grandfather's sword after Johan killed him, but she had agreed because it had seemed important to him. Maybe there was a room somewhere in his castle that held the weapons of the enemies he had vanquished.

She would never have imagined that Saxons could be playful, or that they would have studies filled with books. Eleanora had always thought of them as illiterate and not very astute, but Johan had changed all of those opinions. If anyone asked her about Saxons now, she would tell them that they were intelligent and loving and gallant, and that every woman should marry one because they were fantastic in bed.

By his sighs and gasps, her shifting seemed to affect him the way she had hoped it would. She was more aware of the way he felt inside her than ever before. Every small movement increased the delectable fire burning through her, and when he began to fondle her pearl again, she moaned in deep and passionate pleasure. His hand upon her breast felt heavenly, as did his mouth sucking her nipple. The familiar pressure was building inside her again, slowly but steadily. There was no hurry now. It was as if they had all the time in the world.

Her climax came without warning, wave after wave of ecstasy washing over her. She arched her back and gasped his name, both of her hands gripping his hair perhaps a bit too tightly. It seemed to last longer this time, but was every bit as exciting as their last fevered coupling. The sensations were sharper, more intense and she writhed beneath him as her euphoria strengthened into a profound bliss that she wished would never end.

Johan felt his own pleasure steadily rising as well, punctuated by sharp increases when Eleanora moved or contracted just so. When she came she gasped and writhed and Johan was overwhelmed by the ecstasy of it. He released but more than that he felt a euphoric pleasure. He gasped too, griping her tightly. He writhed and pushed and buried his head in her chest, moaning and squirming and not quite knowing what to do. His breathing was gasping and desperate and punctuated with little, “Eleanora’s,” and “Oh god,” and other half-lucid utterances of pleasure.

It ended only slowly, leaving behind a glow of pleasure and contentment. His writhing slowly turned into nuzzling, then snuggling, and then his head resting on her ample bosoms like before. His fingers gently worked the flesh they had just gripped so tightly, and he kissed her breasts and gently moved against her, a shifting rubbing of affection. Perhaps she was a lioness and he was becoming her lion.

He looked up at her, “Morning.” He said in a mischievous little sing song. He pecked her lips before drawing her head to his chest and snuggling her. “Can you hear my heart?” It was racing still.

But he would have to get up soon. They would have to hurry if he wanted to show her a little about (metal) swords. It was then the water clock chimed. Johan stared daggers at it but sighed. “There’s still enough t-t-time for swords if we skip breakfast.” They could eat after he’d left.

Eleanora heard him gasp and then she felt the warm gush of his seed inside her. Her inner muscles continued to pulse around him, squeezing and releasing again and again. She held him tight as he squirmed and she had never heard a sweeter song than her name upon his lips. Slowly, her bliss began to fade and she became aware of the world around her again.

She snuggled against him, running her fingers through his hair as he lay against her bosom, idly fondling and kissing her breasts. Little thrills coursed through her body and she smiled softly as he nuzzled her much like a cat would. She laughed when he wished her good morning and kissed her lightly.

He pulled her head down until it was resting against his heart. “Yes, I can hear it. It is beating as fast as my own.” She loved its steady throbbing. It was comforting and soothing and she relaxed against him. Thoughts of the ordeal to come had yet to return and all that Eleanora could think about was how much she loved him. “Will every morning be like this?” she asked, her voice still a bit breathless.

His mention of breakfast and swords brought her mind back to the day ahead. “I usually don't eat as soon as I awaken, and I am not hungry at all. If you promise me that you will eat later, I would like to learn how to use a sword.” Eleanora didn't want him going without food. They would both need nourishment to face the trials of the day.

Would every morning be like this? “Oh no,” Johan said with a teasing smile, “Sometimes you’ll wake up f-f-first.” He squeezed her lightly, as close as he could get to a hug while his arms were already wrapped around her. He looked at her a moment and was enthralled, just staring at her. His feelings of love nearly overwhelmed him and he breathed deep. His Eleanora made him indescribably happy.

“I w-w-will.” John promised to eat. Actually, Eleanora was right to be worried. Johan’s habits were a bit irregular and he would benefit from someone to push them into a more regular, healthy pattern. “Promise to be c-c-careful with the sword. You could hurt yourself very badly.” His tone said how terrible harm coming to her would make him feel. “Would you feel b-b-better if I assigned someone to guard you?” Johan seemed to be leaning that way, but his eyes were filled with the sort of paranoid concern that spoke more to the depths of his love than legitimate fear.

After a few moments where he could not manage to let go of her, he finally managed to move away, though he didn’t’ let her go. What he said next was just as hard, “Throw on some c-c-clothes,” The rest came easier, “Something you can easily move around in. We’ll have a f-f-few… rounds in the garden before I go.” Johan didn’t need to get dressed fully. He was leaving to prepare ahead of the meeting, and part of that was going to be putting on a bunch of formal clothes so he would look correct before the assembly.

He smiled mischievously again, “Let’s make a wager. Whoever gets the most hits has to do whatever the other says till sundown.” It was a silly little wager, and Johan trusted that neither would take advantage of the other… at least not in ways they both wouldn’t enjoy. "Or w-w-would you prefer till sunrise?" He kissed her.

“If I do, I will awaken you with caresses too.” Eleanora had feared that he would be gone long before she woke up most mornings, but because she was a naturally early riser, perhaps they would always have some time to themselves before he had to get up and attend to his duties. Maybe they would not always make love, but they could snuggle together and talk. Both options were excellent ways to start any day.

“I will hold you to that,” she said when he promised he would eat. “You have to be strong today, for my sake and for yours.” Eleanora could see the anxiety in his face and hear the sorrow in his voice when he asked her to promise to be careful with the sword. “I will,” she vowed. “I am not a child, dearest Johan, and I have seen the damage a sword can do in my grandfather's kingdom.” Sometimes she had watched from her window while the knights practiced their swordsmanship. Accidents happened quite often.

"If it will make you feel better, I will take a guard with me … but only after the assembly. If I do it now, it will look as if you think your people might harm me. Or it will look as if I don't trust them and begged you for a guard. I was thinking of going to the shops to find some trims for my gown, but I can stay in the castle if you want me to.”

Reluctantly, he let go of her and she immediately missed the warmth and comfort of his embrace. Eleanora sat up on the side of the bed and swung her legs over the edge. “All I have is the gown I brought with me and the one I was given yesterday. But I need to learn to use a sword wearing what I usually wear or I will be at a disadvantage."

Her smile echoed his own when he suggested a game between them. “You have a deal. And sundown is better than sunrise or we will probably be up all night.” After he had kissed her, she squeezed his hand and then stood up. Picking up the clothes she had worn yesterday, she began to put them on. This time, she didn't ask if he wanted assistance dressing. She would simply do it now that she was familiar with what he needed help with.

If she woke up as the sun rose, she would be up before him most days. Rising with the sun was lower class. Wealthier Saxons preferred to sleep later and stay up later. They didn’t need to work every hour of daylight and they could afford the fuel to keep their homes well-lit at night. Though if Eleanora woke him up, to make love or to chat, Johan would eagerly take the opportunity. He would be commonly called away at night to parties or events (and soon she would often come with him) but the mornings, if they wanted them, could be theirs alone.

Johan nodded. As a rule, at least to people he cared about or that were among his people, he kept his word even in small matters. He had said he would eat, so he would. Eleanora did not need to fear he would say sweet things to placate her and never follow through. “I t-t-trust you.” He affirmed when she said she wasn’t a child. If he didn’t he wouldn’t have let her have a sword at all. But there was still the anxiety over her being around dangerous things. He felt the same about his brother, and he was a great warrior.

“You’re right,” Johan said with a sigh as she explained why his offer of a bodyguard was unwise. For better or worse, Johan was always one to take counsel. She offered to stay in the castle, “No, you should be f-f-fine. Take a servant or… two, though. I don’t want you completely alone.” No one would think much of that and it did make her a little safer. If nothing else, they could help her carry off her gains.

Johan nodded again when she said she wished to learn wearing her full clothes. It would make it harder for her to fight, but the logic was valid. Fortunately, things became a bit playful. She said only in the day, and Johan exaggerated his disappointment, "What m-m-man hasn't dreamed of having a goddess in his thrall f-f-for the night." A taunting little smile presumed victory.

Yet even the relatively platonic gesture of a hand squeeze made Johan’s heart leap a little and it felt so very natural when she helped clothe him. He still couldn’t help pulling her in for another little kiss.

Johan picked up one sword, a short sword, and headed out to the balcony, then down the winding staircase to the garden. It was relatively small, more a backyard, and very dense. It was practically a maze, but the area just behind the house was surrounded by rose bushes and had enough lawn for their purposes. Down there was a small cabinet which Johan opened to reveal a variety of practice weapons. He took out a wooden sword and gestured for Eleanora to choose her own with a small smile.

Eleanora was a princess, but she had always awakened around sunrise. Often, she had watched the colors splash across the sky from her window and observed the servants going about their morning duties. Most of the time she had been up before her maidservant and spent her moments of solitude reading until the woman arrived to dress her. To her, this was completely normal.

She knew Johan trusted her, but he still seemed a bit worried. It was the same with her. She knew that he could handle a sword, but she feared that he might be injured, either in practice or by a noble who disagreed with him. She was only perfectly content when he was with her, for she knew for certain then that he was safe.

He didn't insist that she say in the castle. “I will not go alone. If you know a couple of trustworthy servants who can accompany me, I will be most grateful. Preferably women who know how to sew. I might need some help getting my gown ready in time.”

Eleanora laughed at his feigned disappointment. “Very well. Whoever wins can set the time period.” It was possible that she might choose sunrise as well now that she knew that was his preference. However, she doubted that she would win. He already knew how to fight. She would probably miss most of the time.

Dressing him was always pleasant, and while she was tempted to tease him a bit, she knew that what little time they had would be put to better use training her to use a sword than falling back upon the bed and making love again. He kissed her lightly before they left. Perhaps he was thinking the same.

Following him out onto the balcony and down the winding staircase, she wondered why she had not noticed it before. It was an interesting way to get to the garden, and one she imagined he used quite a bit. She inhaled deeply of the scent of roses as he led her over to a cabinet which held a variety of wooden weapons.

Eleanora had been a bit worried that a real sword would be too heavy for her, but these she could easily handle. She chose a small one that was suited to her height. Maybe it had once been Johan's when he was a child. “Will this one do?” she asked. “Some of them look nearly as tall as I am.” Perhaps that was an exaggeration, but not by much.

Johan nodded. He would send some female servants along. In time she would be expected to make her own friends and get ladies in waiting but for the moment they would do.

Johan rolled his eyes. He hadn’t meant to make her back down, but he didn’t mind either way. It was all a bit of silly fun and he briefly stuck out his tongue in a childish bit of pique. But soon he dissolved into laughter too as they went down. As for the staircase, it was facing towards the sea, and it also wasn’t very visible from the room. It was just off to the side of the balcony and it went down rather than up. If she’d stepped out onto the balcony, though, it would’ve been hard to miss.

“That’s a seax, a t-t-traditional weapon.” Johan said. It was a light and fast and only a few feet in length. It wasn’t a children’s sword, but it was a sidearm, something people carried with them in case their main weapon broke or was inconvenient. They’d been carried around by many of the people she’d seen with him. “It’s the origin of our name, Seaxoner. It’s b-b-best for stabbing and slashing, and you… need to g-g-get close to make up for its length. And you c-c-can use one or both hands.”

Johan took up a larger sword. Eleanora had better hands and two good legs, so she had a large natural advantage. Johan had experience, but he was not a great warrior by any means. In fact, she would notice his sword was not entirely steady due to his hands.

First he demonstrated briefly, “When someone c-c-comes towards you, step and move your sword to block.” Johan demonstrated, a somewhat awkward demonstration involving mainly his good leg, “Or m-m-move out of the way entirely if you can. When you want to slash at someone, step f-f-forward and make a wide sweeping gesture that goes through them.” He moved the sword in a simple arc, “And when you want to stab, d-d-do not pull back or they’ll see it c-c-coming, just thrust forward. And aim for the stomach or throat.” Again he demonstrated by thrusting into the air, once high, once low.

Johan wasn’t sure Eleanora had it in her to hurt anyone, but he would feel better knowing she could defend herself. He turned to her and held up the sword in a basic posture, both hands gripped, the sword hefted up slightly and pointing towards her. He waited for her to put her own up and then quickly slashed downward. She would need a quick reaction to block it, but stepping back and out of its reach would be easy if she were nimble.

Eleanora had not noticed the weapons carried by the locals. The unfamiliar surroundings she found herself in had distracted her attention to the exclusion of everything else. She smiled when he told her she had chosen the weapon that had given the Saxons their name. “So that means I am a real Saxon now?” she teased him. Even if she lived with him for one hundred years, she doubted she would be considered a true Saxon. She would always be a foreigner in the eyes of his people. Their children, she hoped, would embrace both their cultures and not prefer one over the other.

“Do you have a real one for me to carry into the village with me? I hope it will be light enough for me to wield.” She would become stronger the more she practiced but at the moment, the only sharp objects she had ever used were eating utensils. Eleanora couldn't think of anything else to do with a sword besides slash and stab, and getting close to her target didn't bother her. She would have more of a chance of hitting it that way.

She tried hard to put the idea of stabbing a person out of her mind. If her life was in danger, she believed that she would be able to injure her attacker if there were no other options, but she would rather not think of such things. She would much rather heal than harm.

Johan picked up a larger sword and demonstrated what he wanted her to learn this morning. Eleanora observed him closely, trying to memorize everything he said and did. She didn't think his movements looked at all awkward. He was obviously a very experienced swordsman.

When he held his sword in both hands and pointed it at her, she gulped and assumed a similar position. Already, she could tell that it was going to be difficult to fight in a skirt, but she had no choice. Besides, she had never worn anything else. She would learn to adapt.

His lunge took her by surprise. Jumping back, Eleanora tripped over her hem and fell to the ground, landing on her backside. The seax flew out of her hands and stopped a few feet away from her. For a moment she just sat there looking up at Johan, and then she burst into laughter. “Well, that wasn't a very promising start.”

In one graceful move, she rose to her feet and retrieved the seax. “Do that again. This time I will be ready for you.”

“Not quite yet.” Johan said with a smile. But he presumed she would become one. The Saxons were assimilators. Becoming a Saxon was not only possible but something Johan expected of her. One of those little details that had gotten glossed over in their lovestruck haste.

Johan nodded. He had many of them. “It should be about as… heavy as that one there.” The weapons weren’t perfect representations, but they at least tried to be the same weight as the weapons they represented. The big difference would be the real one would have a very, very pointy end for her to stick someone with.

A moment later she fell, dropping her weapon. Johan was concerned for a moment. When she laughed, he let out a puff of relief and leaned on the sword. He would have reached out to help her up but she moved with such grace she brought a smile to his lips, Beautiful. “I d-d-did worse my first time. Managed to c-c-catch it in a block but I didn’t hold it tightly enough. Slammed into my face and g-g-gave me a bloody nose.”

There was a small hitch when he realized he might bruise Eleanora. Normally, he wouldn’t mind too much: there was a world of difference between this and beating her like her grandfather. But… if she were sensitive… but no, she seemed fine. He was delighted to think she was letting go of the poison of her past.

So it was only after she was ready to go Johan realized he’d passed up a point. She’d distracted him by being the beautiful love of his life who filled his every moment with joy and affection. Well, he would get his revenge! She was ready to go again and Johan took his stance. He slashed again, this time from her right rather than above.

Eleanora lay the sword across both palms, testing its weight, and then shifted it to her right hand for a rather awkward practice sing. Her muscles strained a bit, but she thought she would be able to use it. “One like this should do just fine. I don't plan on challenging anyone to a duel. I just want to be able to defend myself.”

She could see the concern in his face when she fell, but her laughter seemed to assure him that she was all right. How very protective he was of her. No one had ever truly cared about her before and it took some getting used to. Eleanora promised herself that she would give him no cause to worry. She wanted to make him happy, not anxious.

Her nose wrinkled when he described his first experience with a sword. “How awful. I wish I had been there to take care of you.” At that time, she had probably been a small child and wouldn't have been of much use to him. She imagined that Saxons learned how to fight when they were fairly young, and he was a few years older than she.

Eleanora looked more delicate than she actually was. She wasn't particularly strong, but she was young and resilient and didn't bruise easily. The fall had not injured her at all, and she smiled mischievously at Johan and copied his stance again. When he slashed at her, she brought her sword up to block it, although the force knocked her a few steps back. For some strange reason, the constant glow of magic in the back of her mind seemed a bit brighter, but she thought nothing of it. “Was that better?” she asked.

Johan mused a bit further about one of the fonder memories of his childhood. “It l-l-looked worse than it was. It didn’t really hurt, I remember. But I g-g-got blood all over my shirt.” His nose was not crooked or bent either, so there’d been no permanent damage. Still, if Eleanora had been there he would have been pleased by her concern. There was pleasure in being cared about, in being nursed. He wasn’t used to that.

Johan smiled as she blocked, “Much. T-t-try and step back on your own to absorb the b-b-blow. It’ll strain you less.” He suggested. It would also make it easier for her to remain standing for harder blows. “Now, t-t-try and hit me.” He took up a more defense stance. Hopefully she would get into the spirit of things and start to take her own initiative. He could tell her what to do, but ultimately fighting came from honing instinct and the ability to react.

He smiled cockily, practically daring her to get in a strike.

Johan spoke of his long ago injury as if he was proud of it. Maybe he was. Eleanora supposed that most boys remembered their first fencing lesson with fondness. She had pricked her finger with a needle during her first sewing lesson, but she considered that a good memory too. Sewing was one of the few skills she possessed and she truly enjoyed it. Maybe she would make Johan an embroidered shirt. She assumed that he employed seamstresses to make his clothes, and that they would make hers as well now. Sometimes, though, she would like to sew for him herself.

Using a sword was far more difficult than using a needle. At least her last move had been an improvement over her first. Eleanora had been unaware that his blow would be so strong. Next time, she would brace herself for it.

She noticed the way he stood when he instructed her to hit him. He was more balanced than she had been. She would have to remember that. In truth, she didn't want to strike at him. It went against everything she believed in to attempt to stab the man she loved so dearly. She told her that there was little chance of hurting him. He knew what he was doing, and how else would she learn unless she practiced?

Eleanora closed her eyes and took a deep breath. Her magic still hummed inside her. She found it strangely comforting. When she opened her eyes and saw his cocky smile, she knew that he didn't think she would succeed. All of her earlier qualms disappeared and she lifted the sword above her head. But instead of slashing downward, she quickly lowered it and lunged straight at him, as if intending to stab him in the stomach.

Johan didn’t mind a bit of roughness. He was used to sparring and even getting hurt by people he loved dearly. It was all just a part of life and context was key. Perhaps later he would show her how fighting could be playful too, tackling her and wrestling which slowly turned to kisses… Though what he was doing now was entirely serious. He wanted her able to really defend herself, so he taught her no differently from how he’d have taught a man.

But for the moment, she attacked. Johan moved to block but she feinted and closed quickly. Johan realized what was happening but she was smaller and had the smaller sword. He moved to block but before the sword got into place she stabbed him in the stomach. He let out a forceful exhale at the force. He took half a step backward, then stumbled because of his bad leg and went back two more. It didn’t really hurt, but if it had been a real sword he’d be grievously wounded.

“Good!” He said. His blood was starting to pump and he was getting excited, into the spirit of it. It wasn’t a game, but it was fun. There was a reason he kept a bunch of swords in his garden. He shifted again, his stance a bit clumsy due to his leg but fast enough. He brought his sword in a downward swing, aiming to hit her from above while her sword was low.

Eleanora was not accustomed to fighting at all. From watching her father's knights, she knew that accidents happened and that she might walk away from this practice with a few more bruises than she'd had before. That didn't bother her. What she was afraid of was unintentionally hurting Johan.

When her sword connected with his stomach, she felt both triumphant and appalled. She had tricked an experienced swordsman but it had come with a price. Eleanora gasped as he stumbled backward. She took a few steps forward, but he caught himself and regained his balance. He didn't seem to be hurt. Perhaps all she had done was knock the wind out of him.

An apology hovered on her lips, but it turned into a bright smile as he praised her effort. “I tricked you!” she exclaimed. “And it worked!” He swung at her again, and as she lifted her weapon, she felt a surge of power and a sudden weakness. The sword moved of its own accord, flying out of her hands and blocking the blow. It then clattered harmlessly to the ground.

Dizzy at the toll her magic had taken on her, Eleanora fell to her knees. “I didn't mean to do that,” she said, shaking her head from side to side. “It just happened on its own.”

Johan laughed at her surprise. He was not immortal, invincible, or all knowing, and he didn’t pretend to be. “C-c-clever girl,” He praised her again.

But his face twisted as her sword flew of its own accord. Normally when he hit someone with a sword there was a little bit of give, a shift, a natural movement between the two. Magic had none of that. The sword was hard and absolutely unyielding and his wooden sword broke under the force of the swing. Johan wasn’t hurt but he stared at his sword in shock for a moment.

The shock gave way to concern as Eleanora fell. He quickly moved forward and drew her up against his chest, letting her lean on him. His arms came around her, firmly but gently. “It’s alright, it’s alright.” He assured her, gently running his hands along her back. Perhaps she wasn’t quite ready for a real fight. Not if they wanted to keep her powers concealed.

He would have to accelerate her lessons. And hope he was right there would be no violence today. He squeezed her in a hug and looked down at her. “I should go… soon. W-w-will you be alright? Would you luh-like me to p-p-put you to bed to recover?”

A loud cracking sound rang in Eleanora's ears, but she was too weak to pay it much attention. The world was spinning around her and she was afraid that she would pass out again. Before she'd had any control over her magic, the spells that she accidentally cast had no effect on her. It probably required more effort to make a goblet fly around a room than to block a sword. She understood that she had expended too much energy when she was making the balls of light dance, but she had been consciously manipulating them. This was something else altogether. She had not intentionally cast the spell but it had still weakened her.

Suddenly, she felt Johan's arms around her, pulling her to her feet. She clung to him as he whispered reassurances and softly stroked her back. “I don't know what happened,” she repeated. “I could feel the magic inside me but I had no idea that it was going to try to protect me. I knew you wouldn't hurt me.” Eleanora shook her head again, confused.

It seemed as if their lesson was over for today. “I'll be fine,” she assured him with a wan but mischievous smile. “If you put me to bed, you'll never leave. I'll have some breakfast and then go into the village, unless you would rather me stay here because of my unpredictable magic.” She would be tossed out if she was seen practicing magic, even if it was accidental. No one would believe her. She might even be executed.

For the first time, she noticed his broken sword. Her eyes widened. “Did my magic do that?” It must have taken a lot of force to break solid wood. Maybe that was why it had weakened her. “Oh, Johan, what if I had harmed you? I thought that I would never be able to hurt you, even with magic, but what if I'm wrong? My magic seems to have a mind of its own.”

“Magic is n-n-not just an extension of our wills. It has its… own nature. And it acts in accordance… with that nature. I have to f-f-fight mine too. A g-g-great deal actually. It t-t-tries to do all sorts of things and you learn how to stop it.” Johan did not know the nature of her magic yet. It was obviously very protective of her, though most magic was somewhat protective of its user.

Johan smiled wide at her innuendo. He gave her a promising little smirk. She asked about going into town and Johan nodded, “Go. B-b-but if there’s some danger or you… f-f-feel your magic starting, flee.” Johan didn’t expect anything would go wrong. But it would be bad if she were discovered in a thousand different ways.

Johan smiled wryly at her concern, “Then you have… m-m-more motivation to become a healer.” It was a valid concern but his only answer was for her to learn and practice. It would take time and Johan was willing to suffer what he needed to give her that time. He squeezed her tightly, hoping it gave her some reassurance.

He looked into her eyes, “I’m n-n-not worried. I love you, my lioness. And l-l-love will conquer.” Johan’s eyes shone with the love in his heart and his sincere belief.

So her magic could hurt Johan if she didn't learn how to control it. If he still had to fight with his, then it might be a very long time before she learned to tame her own wild powers. Eleanora had begun to look on her magic as a blessing instead of a curse. But this changed everything. She wished she had never been born with it. Now she wondered if her mother had unintentionally harmed somebody and that was why she had been executed. If she harmed Johan, she would never forgive herself.

“I guess I need more lessons in control before we spar again. I felt a glow when we began to practice, but I didn't think it would act without my consent. I am afraid, Johan. What if it thinks you are a threat to me and injures you or ...” She shivered. “Or worse? Can you shield yourself against me if I feel it again?”

Eleanora nodded when he told her to flee if she felt her magic humming inside her. “Can you suppress it temporarily? I don't trust myself anymore and if I'm caught casting spells ...” Her voice trailed off. He would know what his people would do to her, whether it was banishing her from their midst or putting her to death.

“After the moot, maybe you can teach me a few healing spells?” Her fear was fading now, and her magic had retreated into the back of her mind. She could still feel it, but it seemed to be dormant. Maybe she would have to mentally check for it from time to time, and if she felt it stirring, she would go somewhere that she could be alone until it settled down again.

Johan said he wasn't concerned, so she would try not to worry either. Eleanora leaned into his embrace and lifted her head so that she could playfully nibble his neck. “I love you too. And I hope you are right. My magic doesn't seem to know what love is. I guess we shall have to teach it.”

“Yes,” Johan said, “Your n-n-next lesson should be in a very p-p-private place.” He would have to try and provoke her magic, as unpleasant as that might be, and then show her how to control it. It would probably be best to do it in his old domain, where he was most powerful. It would make him safer in case something went wrong.

Johan gently ran his hand along her cheek as she spoke of her concerns, “If it d-d-doesn’t catch me by surprise, I c-c-can shield myself.” Johan reassured her, but there was risk. It was one he was willing to bear and, he felt, not so grave as Eleanora feared. They would have to be cautious. Perhaps it would be best to conduct her lessons in combat far from civilization, like her lessons in magic.

Johan shook his head. “The only w-w-way I can control your magic even a l-l-little is by enthralling you. It would be… taking control over more than just… your magic.” Johan was hesitant to enthrall anyone after how he’d been treated, though Johan was also much less malevolent than his old mistress.

“I’ll t-t-teach you what I can. The best spells w-w-would be in the forest, the old domain.” Johan said. He was just not much of a healer because of the nature of his magic. But he would show her what he could.

Johan smiled and gently tugged her against him, leaning into the nibbles. His thoughts strayed to if they had enough time… Even just to kiss and hold each other. They didn’t, but he wished so dearly they did. Johan smiled at her and gently stroked her hair with unsteady hand, “Love conquers all.” He said. Her faith was becoming infectious.

“It should be soon,” she urged, “perhaps this evening after we are bound together and I am allowed to stay.” The unintentional reemergence of her magic had sapped a bit of her confidence, but she had to remain positive in thought and in speech. Eleanora could no longer imagine living anywhere but here with him. Everything was still strange to her and she didn't feel as if she belonged, but it was his home and she knew that she would adjust in time.

Knowing that he could shield himself against accidental spells gave her a sense of relief. “I shall tell you when I feel it, and then you will be ready.” She believed that she would know when her magic was about to manifest itself from now on and would not ignore its stirring again.

“You have already enthralled me.” she told him, capturing the hand that had caressed her cheek and kissing it. “But perhaps it is not wise. If your people believe you are controlling me in any way, they might think that you brought me here against my will. You will be blamed and I will still be sent away.”

If they knew that she had left against her grandfather's will, she doubted they would allow her to remain with them, afraid that he would come after her and try to take her back. Which he would. He had begun searching for her as soon as he had noticed her missing. It was only a matter of time before he found her. Hopefully, it would be long enough for her to become accepted and respected so that the Saxons would be willing to fight for her.

“You promised to take me there today,” she reminded him. “Maybe it will also be a good place to practice fighting. But first I should like to learn how to heal you in case I accidentally hurt you.” Her eyes once again strayed to the broken sword and she shivered. “Will you give me a real sword to take with me today or do you think it is too dangerous?”

She smiled softly as he stroked her hair. “I hope it will conquer my magic.” She looked up at the balcony that led to his study. “When do you have to go? Should we go back in so I can help you finish dressing?”

Johan nodded, “Soon. I p-p-promise.” There were practical reasons, but he also hated the drain on her confidence. He hated even the slightest hint of that return to fear or self-loathing.

Johan smiled as she kissed his hand, but was visibly relieved when she argued against it. He didn’t feel comfortable doing such a thing. Johan hoped, when she was revealed, the prospect of glory and wealth might motivate his people. The Saxons were not shy about war and they had much to gain in this fight.

“It w-w-would be a good place to practice controlling… magic too. I am p-p-powerful there. Very powerful. It would be hard even for an experienced m-m-magician to intentionally hurt me.” They had not completely decided on going back. There were… things there that might best be left buried, and Johan would revert towards his older form. But it now seemed they both wanted to go.

Johan had brought a sword down with him from the room where they’d slept. He’d intended to give it to her from the first and he held it out to her now. “I t-t-trust you. Not just your intentions, but your abilities.” Still, he had to stop himself from telling her to be careful. He knew she was not a child, but she was so precious to him he fretted a little over her wellbeing.

“Soon, I’m p-p-probably already a bit late.” But that just meant he’d have to rush the servants a little. He shook his head negatively to dressing him, “A l-l-large part of what I’m about t-t-to do is get dressed up in a… bunch of ceremonial c-c-clothes. No point in dressing me more than this.”

Johan gently held her by the arms and looked at her, eyes sparkling and a smile on his lips, “Everything w-w-will be fine. Promise me you’ll eat and t-t-take it easy. And remember, you are the m-m-most... charming creature on earth.” He leaned in to kiss her, tasting the bittersweetness of a goodbye kiss.

“If you are more powerful there, then I will not be afraid of hurting you. Unless I am more powerful as well.” Eleanora didn't think that would be the case. Their magic was different. His had been forced upon him and hers had been inherited. If there was a place where she would be more powerful, it would most likely be in her grandfather's kingdom. Maybe she would even be weaker in his hidden location. Or her magic might not work at all.

She was quite curious about it. “Then we should go there. My love will protect you from any bad memories, and your magic will protect you from my own. You can give me another lesson in control and I promise that I won't overdo myself this time.”

Eleanora had not seen the sword he brought with him and when he produced it, she took it from him carefully. “I'm not sure I trust myself.” She looked down at her clothes. “Where am I supposed to put this? I can stick it in my belt, but it will be visible. I think I need to go back to your bedchamber and get my cloak so no one will see it. I don't want to look like a threat when I go into town.”

She was beginning to rethink her plans. Maybe she should stay safely inside until he returned. Or she could just walk around and look at the paintings on the buildings instead of shopping. It might be better to avoid interacting with too many people before she was accepted. What if she said something that insulted them unintentionally? She had been confined to a castle most of her life and was not experienced in social situations.

“I hope I will still recognize you,” she teased. “I might find you so handsome in your ceremonial robes that I will faint at the first sight of you. Or I might ask you to wear them to bed.”

The way he looked at her sent bright little thrills shimmering down her spine. “I'll be all right,” she assured him. Eleanora didn't want him to worry about her. He would have enough on his mind already. “And you are the most tempting man in the world.”

Their kiss was bittersweet on her part too. What if it was the last one they ever shared? No, I must not think like that. Everything will go fine today. I must believe it so that it will be true. “Will you come for me when it is time for the moot to begin? Or will someone else escort me there?”

Johan nodded as Eleanora agreed they should go. His nod was just a little steeled. Like he still had uncertainties but had pushed through them. Eleanora gave him strength just as he strengthened her. He worried about what he could become… but he was certain that whatever it was, Eleanora would love him.

“Believe in me,” Johan said, “And b-b-believe that I believe in you.” He said with a smile as she doubted herself. He gently cupped her cheek, eyes shining with love. She asked where she should store the sword, “It should be visible. Hiding it is suspicious but no one w-w-will comment if you have it openly. We use seaxes t-t-to… chop wood and butcher meat. It’s not strange to c-c-carry a seax around.” Johan explained.

Johan smiled at her tease, “Then I w-w-will wake you with a true love’s kiss.” He chuckled when she spoke of him wearing them to bed, “They m-m-might dress me, undressing me is your privilege, my lioness.” He smiled appreciatively at her.

Johan let out a puff as she called him tempting. He pulled her to him, pulling her body to his. His hand ran down that tingling spine as he felt a rising warmth. Schedule be damned. He could make a little time for a little play, “Maybe I’ll give you a good, hard tempting.” He leaned in for a kiss, lips pressed to hers, hot breath and the feelings of young and lustful love on his lips.

Archived