JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

One Night in Camelot

Guest John Bramston

Of course I believe in you!” she exclaimed, surprised that he would even doubt it. “I love you, Johan, so much that sometimes I feel that my heart will burst with joy. I have complete faith in everything you do, and I know that you will never hurt me.” For some reason, he seemed rather nervous about going back to his magical place. “And I know that you trust me too. We will be fine, as long as we are together.”

Eleanora had no idea that he might change into another form while he was there, but had she known, she would have told him that she would still love him no matter what he looked like and she would not be afraid. She had seen the way his face transformed when he cast a spell, and while it had been shocking at first, she had not shrunk away from him. It was just an aspect of his magic and she accepted that.

So it would not seem odd if she was seen with a seax. It would only be strange if she hid it. Women didn't usually carry weapons in her grandfather's kingdom, but apparently it was normal among Saxons. Maybe she would even look as if she belonged. Eleanora slid it under her narrow belt, which was tight enough to hold it in place. She practiced walking around a bit, but it was not long enough to hamper her movements.

“Maybe I will faint just because I want you to kiss me.” The idea of undressing him always appealed to her. “Then we will have to go to your bedchamber before we go to your place of magic.” Her smile was sultry and teasing. “I will undress you so slowly that it will drive you to distraction.”

When he pulled her against him, she sighed in pleasure, laughing when he promised to give her a good hard tempting. Eleanora leaned into his kiss, entwining her arms around his neck and pressing herself closer. “You must not be late,” she whispered against his lips. “Or it will look like I have bewitched you and I will never be allowed to stay.”

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Johan was afraid of his magic too. He was just afraid in a different way. Eleanora feared losing control. Johan feared that he would become his old mistress. That in giving him magic she had changed his nature, that her evil and narcissism lurked somewhere in his soul.

There were dangers in the forest but Johan wasn’t overly frightened by them. But while there he would be like her in ability. It would be his domain, a place he exercised control over and had substantially increased powers. And being like her in any way frightened him. Less for any logical reason than for trauma.

“Yes,” Johan said. Her words didn’t make the nervousness go away but they comforted him. “Yes, you w-w-will protect me.” Love had broken her hold over him before. It had been fraternal love, but he loved Eleanora fiercely too. He was certain that love would anchor him, whatever happened.

Johan smiled in a cocky, knowing way, “Do you think you c-c-can?” He taunted, hand on her hip, “I have my own weapons,” He breathed, moving to her neck. He kissed it, pushing into her, “I w-w-will make you quiver with anticipation.”

“But you have bewitched me.” He whispered back, coming back up and pressing his lips against hers, his chest to her ample bosom. His hands slid down her back and grabbed her bum. He smiled teasingly, “What are we g-g-going to do about that?”

Eleanora would protect Johan no matter what she had to do. She didn't know anything about his former mistress but what he had told her, but since she was dead, she didn't think it possible that the evil fae still had a hold on him. Eleanora's magic defended her even when she didn't realize it. Maybe it would defend him too because she loved him so much. She just hoped it still worked in his magical forest and that the others powers there would not nullify it.

Johan appeared to believe her reassurances. She was quite curious about the forest, and it would be much better for him to show it to her than for her to stumble upon it on her own. Or maybe it remained hidden until he opened it. That would make it safer and nobody would enter it who might be hurt by its power.

“I can if I put my mind to it.” Her smile was sly and sultry. “I know how to handle your sword better than the seax you gave me." His breath on her neck made her tremble with desire and his kiss just increased the sensations roiling inside her. “You can't make me quiver in anticipation,” she purred, “because you already have.”

Eleanora laughed when he claimed she had bewitched him, and enthusiastically returned his kiss. Her breasts felt wonderful pressed against his chest and when he grabbed her bum, she gasped in pleasure. “Do we have time?” she asked, already craving more. The thought of making love in the garden appealed to her simply because they had never done it here before.

Eleanora was right: the faerie was dead. But Johan was still haunted by what had happened. There were fears and hang ups and things he’d left untouched. Eleanora couldn’t know, she’d not known how he was before. But she was not only making him happy but helping him, strengthening him. The people around him would note that he seemed much happier than he’d been, much less troubled. But Johan was not consciously aware of this, and Eleanora (of course) hadn’t known him before they’d gotten to know each other.

And her ability to banish all that was proven by this moment. There was nothing in his mind right now, nothing but them. Her smell, the warmth of her soft skin, the crisp blue of her eyes. Sometimes he loved her so much it hurt. But in her he found such sweet relief…

Johan smiled, his hand slipping from her bum, over her side, to between her thighs, “That’s the rub,” And indeed there was rubbing, gentle, teasing strokes…“I c-c-can drive you to distraction.” His smile was cocky, challenging even.

He inhaled deeply at her gasp. His free hand came to gently hold the back of her neck and he leaned forward. He kissed her briefly, and whispered against her lips, “I d-d-don’t know,” Johan said, smiling a coy, teasing smile, “Maybe not.” He pulled away, just slightly. It probably wouldn’t be noticeable unless her every sense was consumed by him, as he was by her. But with her arms around him, and his hands on her, it would be such a simple matter to entwine…

When Johan's hand moved between her thighs, Eleanora shifted her position so that her legs were farther apart. She could feel his caress even through the fabric of her skirt, and she moaned softly. She wanted him so much that she could hardly stand it. Maybe there was time for a quick romp in the garden, one last clandestine coupling before they declared their love for each other publicly. Or that was what she intended to do. Johan might have to appear more dignified because of his position.

She could hardly wait to see him sitting on his throne decked out in his ceremonial clothing even though she dreaded the assembly itself. But he would give her strength, as he always did, and she would speak straight from her heart … the heart that now belonged to him.

His kiss was much too brief for her liking. “Or maybe we do,” she said, her eyes narrowing slyly. He pulled far enough that she was able to reach between them and stroke the bulge in his breeches. "Is there any place in this garden where we will not be seen?"

Johan loved the effect he had on her, how his light touch over her skirt could cause her to shift, to open. A bit of flirtation, a small touch, and all her lust for him came flowing forth… It made him powerful, attractive, loved. His attraction, his love, for his dear Eleanora was nearly bursting.

And she had the same effect on him. Johan inhaled at her touch and smiled that lusty smile Eleanora so easily put on his lips. Time or not, she had stoked that flame in him and it consumed him, “Behind the… hedges, if we can stay quiet.” He whispered, leaning into a longer kiss. He gently tugged her with him over the yard and behind them. Yet he couldn't actually unentwine and they moved awkwardly against each other, still close, still in embrace. It was a small grotto, sectioned off by tall hedges, with benches around a statue of a goddess. But Johan was hardly taking in the scenery.

Once they’d moved his attention refocused on Eleanora like a wave and he pressed a deep, passion kiss to her. Schedules, moots… nothing existed right now but the two of them. “I love you,” He said, “I love you so much.” And he began to bunch his hands in her skirt, pulling them up slowly as he peppered her with more kisses.

Back here they were safer from sight of the house... though someone might peer through the hedges, or catch some view, if they looked carefully enough.

Eleanora adored that lusty expression of his as she adored everything about him. His gasp gave her as much pleasure as his touch. Now, it was too late to stop, she believed. If they did not sate their desires now, they would still be aroused during the moot, and that might not be the most convenient state to be in. Making love would also lower their worries and surround them in a warm glow that would remain even after they parted. She would go about the morning's activities with a smile on her face, and he would do the same.

Doing it behind the hedges sounded deliciously naughty. “I can be quiet if you can,” she said right before he drew her into a long and poignant kiss. She let him lead her over to the hedges, and her gaze raked briefly over the benches and statue. It seemed quite secluded to her, and she leaned into his next kiss, returning it with wild abandon. “I love you too, my dearest Johan. More than words can ever say.”

They did not need words to express their love. There was a much more satisfying way to do that. As he lifted her skirts, she pushed him down on one of the benches and deftly unlaced his breeches. Her hand closed around his cock and she stroked it gently while moving upon his lap, one leg on either side of him. With an impish smile, she guided it into her and then sat down upon it hard, closing her eyes, arching her back, and gasping in pleasure.

Johan wasn’t sure he could be quiet… but he had ideas of how to stifle the moan. He smiled as she professed her love and let her push him down onto the bench. He helped steady her as she deftly unlaced his breeches (a task, to his joy and amusement, she was becoming quite skilled in). This was quick, furtive. The opposite of their morning and yet just as pleasurable.

When he entered her, he gasped and then let out half a moan, which he quickly stifled. His hand quickly came up and roughly tugged down her top, exposing those bounteous bosoms that bounced with her arch. He leaned forward and took one of her nipples in his mouth. But he stopped after a moment, stifling his moan into her soft, full breasts when she moved just so. Then he moved to the other.

Remembering last time, his hands came down to her legs. He picked her up just slightly. Her legs and knees wouldn’t be resting on the bench but on his hands. She was small enough, and Johan strong enough, this wasn’t that uncomfortable for him… but it did mean he wasn’t going to be able to move as much. He gyrated his hips slightly, but he didn’t have as much room to move as she did.

Eleanora didn't even realize that he had pulled her top down until she felt his mouth encircled her nipple. Another moan escaped her lips and she didn't even attempt to suppress it. Her need for him was so great that she no longer cared if anyone heard them, or even saw them. She would most likely not notice even if a crowd gathered around them. All that mattered to her was giving Johan as much pleasure as possible.

She could feel his breath on her breasts as he moaned into them, and more enticing sensations careened through her body, strengthening as he turned his attention to her other nipple. For a few moments she just sat there, enjoying his ministrations and the way his cock fit so tightly inside her. Eleanora knew that they didn't have much time, but he had taught her this morning how to appreciate every little nuance of their lovemaking, and she savored that knowledge now.

His hands moved beneath her legs, lifting her up so that her knees no longer rested on the bench. She shifted slightly, and a sudden jolt of pleasure hurtled down her spine. When he swiveled his hips, Eleanora began to move, back and forward and up and down, slowly at first and then increasing in speed and intensity. Her hands rested on his shoulders, but she did not press down on him, using the strength of her legs to bounce up and down.

The familiar pressure built within her, sending little thrills rippling through every fiber of her being. This time, she felt her climax coming and she surrendered to the pleasure of it, moaning loudly and varying her movements in order to prolong her ecstasy and to facilitate his.

Eleanora was quickly learning both Johan’s body and the art of pleasure. She had been an eager student, though Johan had not shied to take advantage. It was good to be young and lusty and in love.

Johan was soon carried off by her waves of pleasure. He twisted and moaned and looked at her, love piercing through a face twisting in utter pleasure. Any thought of quiet or guile he’d had was leaving him. There was nothing in the world but her, and that world was a vision of heaven itself.

He gasped too, and moaned, and clenched and released in a grunted symphony of pleasure. He felt his own building quickly as Eleanora did her best to give him as much pleasure as possible. She always succeeded, but this coupling was especially overwhelming. He saw, between twists and thrusts, Eleanora bouncing on him, and her own face, moaning and contorting. The vision was lovely. And he was struck, even through his lust, by how very much he loved her.

It was over all too soon, yet that was a testament to their pleasure. As she moved to prolong it Johan began to breathe quickly and then released deep inside her with one long, lusty moan. His hands gripped her tightly and he almost thrashed. At the end he smiled, less tired and more energized. He felt like he could fight off her grandfather’s entire kingdom singlehandedly now.

He looked down for a moment, then up, his eyes searching for her bright and beautiful blues. “Eleanora,” He said, “I love you. I’m g-g-going to spend the rest of my life with you. I swear it by all the old Gods and by the new one.” Whatever the ceremony held, he wanted her to know that. It was as close as he could give to a troth.

He would need to leave soon, but he would never leave her. She was a part of him. The key to his life. His beating heart.

Every moan, gasp, and grunt was music to Eleanora's ears. She watched his face as she bounced up and down and swiveled her hips for added friction, loving the way his expression changed with every move she made. His eyes were full of love for her and she felt as if she was drowning in their depths. Her pleasure overflowed, suffusing her with blissful sensations and as it began to ebb, she felt his seed spurt inside her, and that sent her over the edge again and into another shorter but satisfying climax as he writhed and moaned beneath her.

She continued to bounce and slide back and forth, eventually slowing to a stop and returning his smile. They had needed that, as quick as it was, to bolster their strength for what was to come. Eleanora, too, felt that she could accomplish anything now, even winning over his people so that they would let her stay. Those among them who disapproved of her didn't stand a chance. By the end of the assembly, they would realize that she and Johan were meant to be together.

“Yes,” she breathed. “We will never be parted again. Today we will be joined together forever in the eyes of your people.” She chuckled lightly. “Although I do hope they don't see us joined like this.”

Shifting her position, she slid off of his lap and sat down beside him, adjusting her clothing so that she looked presentable. “You should go now. You do not want to be late.” Eleanora wished he could stay with her, but he had to get ready for the ceremony and so did she, after a brief walk in the village to find some trims with which to embellish her gown.

Johan grinned, “Some p-p-parts of our love I want to show the whole world,” He tugged gently at her dress again, the same gesture that had so often led to a hitched skirt and sharp breaths, “Some… parts are ours alone.” But he too hoped they would never be parted. He hoped someday she could be with him everywhere. It felt… right. Her love gave him confidence, emotional strength.

Johan’s hand easily rested on her hip as she sat. It would be pleasant to sit here with her. But she reminded him of his duty. He nodded. He probably already was. He tugged her into one, last kiss. It was meant to be brief but he lingered just a bit longer than he meant to. He smiled a cocky grin, “I’ll see you soon, my lioness. Be p-p-prepared to roar.” He used her for support briefly to stand. He looked back at her, his eyes betraying how deeply he felt. But then he turned and made to leave.

Eleanora was alone. The servants would obey her and Johan had left some money for her. Enough to buy whatever she pleased.

She laughed as he tugged on her dress, capturing his hand and bringing it to her lips. “I agree. Some parts of our love are better kept private. We don't want to shock anybody, though if they come upon us while we are making love, they have only themselves to blame.”

Eleanora doubted she would be able to keep from touching him or kissing him lightly when they were in public. Like him, she wanted everyone to know how in love they were. In a few short hours, they would hopefully not have to hide their affection any longer and if she was not accepted as one of them, at least she would be tolerated and respected as Johan's chosen concubine … and eventually, his wife.

She leaned into his kiss, returning it with ardor so that it would carry him through their time apart. “I will count the seconds until we are together again.” Another chuckle escaped her lips when he told her to roar. “If I roar, I might scare someone. It will probably be better if I purr instead.” Eleanora was still full of confidence and she intended to lay on the charm when she was called to speak.

When he turned and looked back at her, the love in his eyes almost made her call him back, but she knew that he had to go. She watched him until he was out of sight and then climbed the stairs back into his study, where she called for a servant to bring breakfast. Eleanora was famished now, and she hoped that Johan would keep his promise and eat something before the moot began.

She went into the village when she was finished eating, taking the money he had left for her and placing it in the pouch attached to her belt. Instead of shopping, though, she found herself admiring the colorful walls of the building and wondering at the stories they told. She smiled at everyone who looked in her direction but did not engage anyone in conversation.

At the moment, she thought it was best just to be seen. If she spoke to anyone, she might inadvertently say something incriminating and that would hurt her chances for acceptance. After a couple of hours, she went back to the castle and to Johan's bedchamber, where she began changing into the gown she had brought with her from Camelot. She told a servant to inform him where she was when he returned. Eleanora wasn't sure if he would come to get her or if someone else would lead her to the assembly, but at least she would be ready.

Eleanora was much watched in the village. Many people stared at her. Many were curious. A few made almost as if to approach but her quiet smiles kept them at bay. Some seemed disdainful. A few of the glances were appreciative but there was little open leering. Everyone kept a more than respectful distance. Only merchants, trying to sell their wares, actually spoke to her.

The people didn’t know her fate or position. Was Johan besotted? Had he dallied with some British maid and decided he wasn’t bored of her yet? Had Eleanora seduced him and extracted a promise for her virginity that he now regretted? No one knew, and so few were going to take the risk.

When she returned she was welcomed back by the servants. Shortly after she was done changing a horn blew a small song. Johan didn’t return, but a well-groomed, brawny man in rich looking clothes came. He was handsome but his expression had a certain haughtiness to it. “I am Thane Thorgeld. My lord asked me to bring you to the assembly hall and to protect you if a fight breaks out. He also told me to tell you he ate something.” Thorgeld relayed the last message with a note of confusion.

“Shall we go?” He asked. The horn blew again. The song was slightly different this time. “It will start soon and you’re to go first.”

Thorgeld would lead her straightaway into the hall she'd been in before. It was now filled to the brim with people. At the very front, on the throne, sat Johan. He was dressed in very fine robes, woven out of brilliant silks. The reds and golds mixed with whites came together in great brilliant clashes of color. He wore a crown, not a regal crown but a coronet, and had a long and lush fur cloak. A small skylight illuminated him on the throne and caused the colors of the outfit to dance with every little shift. This far away it was a bit difficult to make out his disabilities and he actually looked dignified. And while the outfit had obviously taken some effort to assemble, and he was groomed impeccably, he moved with surprising ease since he was seated.

He was looking off to the side at something but his eyes slid to the far end of the hall. Eleanora was far away but Johan still recognized her. He smiled but resisted making a gesture until she was closer. The other people took less mind of her here. Many were drinking and eating and there was a general roar of conversation.

But people, especially the men, were working their way forward into the frontmost seats and tables. These had been laid out with special tablecloths. A few sat next to their wives or with their children and the families could be seen quietly discussing, a more communal approach. Other men left their families in the back or even at home.

Eleanora noticed that some of the gazes cast in her direction were wary and others only curious. A few were rather hostile, but she smiled at them sweetly, hoping to soften their opinions of her. She was in a rather awkward position, having been sheltered all of her life from the outside world. Now she was an outsider and she hardly knew how to act. At least nobody attempted to talk to her. For that, she was grateful.

Back in Johan's bedchamber, she studied her reflection in the mirror. She was still not accustomed to Emma staring back at her instead of her own reflection. Now she could see the bruise around her eye that he had added to the armband's magic as well as the others that were not hidden by her clothing.

The gown she had brought with her was one of her plainer ones, but it was still sumptuous by Saxon standards, made of light blue silk trimmed with three rows of pearls at the neckline, the ends of her flowing sleeves, and the hem of her skirt. A belt also adorned with pearls sat low on her hips. At least she had not chosen one of the gowns that had been decorated with jewels. Emma wasn't supposed to be wealthy.

She decided to leave her hair loose to symbolize innocence and it fell to her lips in a mass of perfectly-formed golden ringlets. They bounced against her back when the horn blew, startling her out of her thoughts. Turning away from the mirror, she took out the box that held her mother's necklace and placed it around her neck, nestling the glittering crystal pendant beneath the bodice of her gown.

When the door opened, she whirled toward it, expecting Johan, but a finely-dressed and rather arrogant Saxon lord entered instead. Eleanora could not tell by his expression what he thought of her, but apparently Johan trusted him if he had chosen him to protect her.

She dipped into a perfect courtly curtsy. “It is a pleasure to meet you.” One of these days, she thought smugly, he will be bowing to me. She wasn't familiar with the title of Thane, but a Princess would definitely outrank him. Eleanora nodded when he said that Johan had ate something, but when he asked her if she was ready to go, she gulped. All of her earlier confidence had been replaced by a nervous energy. “Yes, I am ready,” she said after the horn blew again. I can do this.

Eleanora recognized the Hall that Thorgeld led her to. Now it was teeming with people and it looked more like a banquet was taking place there than an official meeting. Her breath caught in her throat when she saw Johan dressed in rich colorful robes and a fur cloak. He looked like a King and she thought him absolutely magnificent. Some of her nervousness dissipated when he looked in her direction. Everything would be all right and once this ordeal was over, she would be officially be his.

“Where do I go?” she asked Thorgeld, managing to keep her voice from quivering. The crystal pendant felt cool against her bare skin and she was glad that she had worn it. It was if her mother was with her in spirit and she felt a little stronger, although still far from confident.

Thorgeld was suitably impressed by Eleanora’s courtly bow. While his face kept it’s haughty, appraising expression, it did make him like her a little more. He did have a vote at the moot, though he was not that important. He’d always intended to vote in her favor. In his opinion, it was about time the lord had a woman of some sort. Eleanora was pretty and acted charming. If she was utterly faithful to Johan, she would be perfect in Thorgeld’s estimation.

He nodded sharply when she said she was ready and politely followed behind her. He acted like a bodyguard, though unlike those her grandfather had put over her he didn’t leer or bark commands. He didn’t mistreat anyone they came across either, just carefully watching.

In the Hall, Thorgeld’s haughty expression got worse. He looked around, obviously enjoying being seen next to the talk of the town. It showed that he was trusted by the lord. That he had insider information. But he still stayed close to Eleanora and didn’t shirk.

He looked at her when she spoke to him, “Wherever you want.” Thorgeld replied. “They’ll call you up to the circle when it’s time.” The circle with the white bird on it was empty. People didn’t even walk over it, instead going around it. A lot of the seating was set up so it was looking in at it. It was the natural center of the room.

Sensing the answer was insufficient (and noting that Johan was looking at them), Thorgeld added, “I think the lord w-w-wants you to sit up front.” Johan was staring at her, trying to make out more of his love. “I could find a space for you wherever you want.” He offered.

Meanwhile, conversation swirled around them. Most of it was loud. She could overhear some of the comments about her now (and a great deal of comments about other, unrelated political issues).

Her beauty was obviously a fixation, and there was not much shyness about dissecting her appearance. The exact nature of her relationship to Johan was speculated on. Her personality and origins was as well.

The bruises excited new comment. It was quickly agreed that Johan hadn’t done it, but the question was who had. Stories changed, born and evolving and dying. Some were Johan the brave hero, rescuer of a woman defiant in the face of an evil master. Others were Johan, the compassionate lord, who had freed a submissive and faithful woman from her private hell. But it definitely worked to infuse a note of sympathy into the conversations.

It was generally known she had spent the night and everyone presumed the two had consummated. The fact she’d stayed the night in his house seemed to have a bigger impact than the idea they’d made love. That, they were all sure, had never happened before.

Still, several people expressed doubts about how long she would last. And a few expressed outright disgust at her. They spoke of her as a predator looking to take advantage of Johan, swindle him of his wealth or selfishly making his life harder for her benefit. A few others plotted their ways into her good graces. And a very few assured some woman or another that Johan’s bed was not necessarily closed to ambitious young ladies.

But overall, the attitude was one of interest without strong feelings. Of curiosity. The average Saxon’s opinion of her seemed positive, if only that she was an interesting piece of gossip. Her clothes drew some praise as well. Many young ladies seemed excited at the prospect of a wealthy woman who would bring fashion into focus. The ladies in general seemed to like her, or at least the idea of a woman at Johan's side.

Thorgeld pointed to a man in bright clothes holding a horn. He was fingering it carefully, “We’re about to start soon.” Eleanora would have time, though, if she wanted to try and meet someone or do something quickly.

Eleanora was thankful for Thorgeld's presence. She was accustomed to bodyguards following her wherever she went, thought she had always suspected that they served more as watchdogs than protectors in her grandfather's kingdom. Strangely enough, she felt safer with the Thane than she did with her own people. At least he was respectful and didn't leer at her like her grandfather's men. She wondered if he was married and had a family. Maybe they were gathered in the hall as well.

She had no idea where to sit. Did certain places have special significance? She didn't want to make any mistakes, and so she just stood by the entrance, taking everything in. The circle with the white bird in it was empty and it was being treated almost as if it was sacred. Eleanora shivered as she looked at it, dreading when she would be called to stand inside it. Her knees felt a bit weak and her heart was pounding in her chest. She wished the moot was over already and she was back in Johan's arms.

She smiled at him as he glanced at her. Thorgeld seemed to think that Johan wanted her to sit up front. “I don't know where I should be. You know much more than I do about this place. Just find me a seat wherever you think is best.”

Her gaze kept straying to Johan as she listened to the conversation around her. The Saxons were certainly not secretive and didn't seem to mind who heard them speak. Some of the comments were positive and some were negative, but she didn't get the feeling that everyone was against her. They seemed more curious than anything, just as they had been in the village. Maybe they wouldn't be so difficult to win over after all.

She looked over at the man with the horn that Thorgeld pointed out to her. Taking a few deep breaths to calm herself, she tried to appear calm and serene, even though she was shivering with anxiety. “Good. I am as ready now as I will ever be.”

Eleanora was too nervous to talk to anybody, but if anyone spoke to her, she would do her best to be polite and charming.

Thorgeld nodded and led her to the front. He shooed away a few people and managed to find them seats. After they were seated, a heavily pregnant woman came up. She kissed Thorgeld on the cheek, waved to Eleanora, and sat on the other side of him. Thorgeld smiled at her briefly but made a display of being stonefaced and vigilant afterward, as if to make up for the smile.

Johan was looking over the crowd, but his eyes constantly strayed to Eleanora. This, too, excited comment. Still, his eyes searched for hers and in the brief moments when they actually found each other, he would smile. As a necessity of majesty, he looked distant in his current seat, but he obviously didn’t want to be so distant from her. He thought she looked particularly beautiful dressed up as she was. He imagined holding her tight, victory celebrations….

The horn blew. The conversations quieted to low whispers. Eight men, most old and all well dressed, took seats around that circle. One of them was Ormod, the man who’d delivered the message earlier. “The moot begins.” He said, his voice booming through the hall. “We ask Emma von Bremer, the lady lately taken into our lord’s household, to come before us.” Everyone’s’ eyes turned to her.

Johan smiled his most comforting smile and gestured for her to step into the circle. He was trying to give her what strength he could, but he could do little more than look at her reassuringly right now. If she looked at Thorgeld he would encourage her to step forward. Johan didn’t seem nervous, but then, he was obviously performing to some extent.

Eleanora found it amusing that Thorgeld tried to hide his affection for the pregnant woman who walked up to him and kissed him on the cheek. She smiled and waved back at her, wondering if this woman would become one of her first friends. There was nothing at all hostile or wary in her demeanor.

The little smiles Johan gave her when their eyes met strengthened her resolve and made her feel a bit bolder and more confident. They were meant to be together and nothing would ever keep them apart. He looked so regal sitting on his throne, and she wished she could sit upon his lap and shower him with kisses. Perhaps they would get that chance once this assembly was over, before she took him to his bedchamber and divested him of his fine robes.

Distracted from her pleasant thoughts by the sound of the horn, she reluctantly looked away, watching as eight men moved toward the circle and sat around it. The meeting was formally announced and she was called forward. Everyone turned to look at her and she stood up, her eyes turning once more to Johan as he beckoned her forward.

Now that the moment was here, her fear had retreated, leaving a strange calmness in its place. Eleanora felt like holding her head up high and stepping proudly into the circle like the princess she was, but she remembered who Emma was supposed to be and looked around her nervously as she took her place at the center of the room. She would be timid, but she would be brave, a combination that she hoped would make the right impression on these strangers who were to decide her fate.

Again she looked up at Johan, and could not help the little smile that turned up the corners of her lips.

Johan smiled back at her warmly. He clenched his fist in a little gesture of support. He had every confidence in her. She looked divine. She really is a goddess. He thought as she came forward. Even though he knew her so well his heart still leapt slightly at that slight tug of her lips. He longed to press theirs together. He imagined calling her up, having her sit with him… or on him. Normally he had more self-control, but Eleanora had bewitched him.

The assembly watched her carefully as she advanced. They were mostly quiet. If she looked around, many of them were sympathetic. A beautiful, frightened teenaged girl bravely pushing through was admirable. If she didn’t manage to push through, that was weakness and might lose her sympathy. But so long as she managed to stay brave, she would earn respect.

One of the men stood up. He was amused by the couple’s little displays of affection, but he didn’t actually disapprove. He was avuncular looking, friendly, though also quite old. He strolled into the circle without urgency. “Mistress Emma, a pleasure to meet you. I am Irwyn. I know our ways are a little different from yours. This isn’t a trial or an interrogation. There’s no need to be nervous. We just want to get to know you a little better. You understand.”

“Does your family know about all this? Will they cause us any trouble if we treat you well?” Irwyn asked. Johan looked at Eleanora, still smiling. He hoped he could give her some strength. He wished he could be there with her. He hated her facing even this small hardship without him beside her.

Eleanora's confidence was bolstered by the sympathetic looks on the faces of the people around her. They seemed to approve of her rather than despise or resent her. Was it because of the way Johan looked at her or was she earning their respect in some way? She had heard that Saxons abhorred weakness, and she was determined to be strong. It was the eight men around the circle she needed to impress, though, and she hoped she would be able to charm them into accepting her into their lives.

She stole another glance at Johan as a man who introduced himself as Irwyn casually stepped into the circle. “It is a pleasure to meet you as well,” she said, curtsying prettily. “I understand that I am not on trial and you only wish to know more about me. I have nothing to hide. Ask me what you will and I will answer honestly and sincerely.”

It figured that his first question would require her to lie, but there was no help for that. “My family cares nothing about me. My mother constantly told me that I was worthless and my father beat me often. I finally got tired of their abuse and I left to make my own way in the world. They were glad to see me go and made it plain that I wasn't welcome to return. They do not care where I go or what I do as long as I stay away from them.

“I traveled to Camelot hoping to find a place for myself there. Everyone was kind to me and made me feel welcome. I met your lord at a banquet and I felt a connection to him immediately. It was as if we were meant to be together.” Eleanora looked fully at Johan then, and her eyes shone with all of the love she felt for him. “I did not know how important he was then, but it would not have mattered. Even if he had been a lowly stable boy, I would still have fallen in love with him.”

She hoped she had not said too much too soon, but she believed that it was better to get to the point than to skirt around the issue at hand.

“Thank you.” Irwyn said. “You don’t need to curtsey to me, Mistress Emma. I’m only a freeman.” It had the tone more of asserting equality than a correction. He was being excessively modest, but that had its political advantages. Besides, he wanted Eleanora at ease.

Irwyn’s gaze softened at the sad story she wove, “I’m sorry to hear that. Hopefully you’ll find a better home here.” Irwyn said. His tone at least seemed genuine. “It’s a relief to know you have nothing to do with the Royal Inspectors coming here.” The comment was meant to get a rise out of her if she were hiding something. Irwyn subtly kept close watch on her reaction. Johan shifted just slightly, looking at Eleanora as well. He managed to hide his worry.

“So you are with our lord out of love?” Irwyn asked. There wasn’t any disbelief in the statement. He was trying to draw out her motivations. He appreciated her frankness and had no clue she was keeping her identity secret. Johan, meanwhile, smiled widely and leaned forward. He returned her look, filled with love and passion. It excited murmurs and the odd laugh. A young couple in the throes of passion.

“You see how we might worry. What if you fall out of love? If our lord needs to marry for political reasons?” Passion, it was well known, could turn easily to jealousy, disgust, intrigues. Rather than worried Johan’s looking to Eleanora was confident. The depths of their devotion was a shared secret for now. But Johan would have to be forced to let another woman into his bed. Eleanora held his heart.

Though perhaps Irwyn’s older perspective had wisdom, Johan couldn’t see it. He was completely convinced Eleanora would love and desire him as fiercely in old age as she did now. And he knew he would never grow tired of her even for a moment.

Irwyn said that he hoped she would find a better home here. Did that mean the decision to let her stay had already been made? “I hope so too,” Eleanora replied with a shy smile, her eyes wandering to Johan yet again. She couldn't stop looking at him no matter how hard she tried. “I would be very surprised if the Royal Inspectors know I exist. I have never heard of them before today."

She was still anxious, but no more tense than she had been when she had stepped into the circle. And she honestly believed that whatever business the inspectors wished to discus had nothing to do with a missing foreign princess. Her grandfather would want to locate her himself so that he could exact his revenge on whomever had stolen her away.

Eleanora nodded enthusiastically when Irwyn asked her to confirm that she was in love with Johan. She noticed the way her beloved leaned forward and smiled broadly. He approved of her confessing her affection for him, and didn't seem to think that she had spoken too soon. It served another purpose as well, taking attention away from her home and family. She didn't want to lie unless it was absolutely necessary.

“I know I am very young, but I am absolutely positive that I will never fall out of love with him. He means more to me than anything in the world. If he must marry someone else, I will understand and feel no ill will toward his wife. And if I believe that my presence here hurts their marriage or if he falls out of love with me, I will leave even if it breaks my heart. I want what is best for him and I will always sacrifice my own happiness for his.”

She knew without a doubt that no other woman would turn Johan's head and that she would never desire another man. Their love for each other was deep and intense and would never wane. They would be together for the rest of their lives, whether they were allowed to marry or not.

Had the decision been made? Irwyn was a politician. He often spoke for effect. He seemed satisfied at Eleanora’s denial. Johan smiled. He hid his relief. And she said she was a bad actor, He thought. Eleanora was handling things very well. In fact, he thought she was at her strongest just then...

Irwyn began to speak but Johan spoke first, shifting on his throne, “I love her too,” He said. The declaration was not forceful but it caused an eruption in the chamber. While some semblance of order was being restored, Johan looked at Eleanora. He looked very pleased, “She will be an aid and a c-c-comfort to me, not a burden. You have seen her. However… many questions you ask, you will find that she loves me and wants nothing but my love in return.”

“I am a jarl. I have never shirked that duty and I w-w-will marry for the good of the tribe. But let me have my love.” Johan finished. There were again low murmurs. But Johan’s word did carry weight. He made no secret that he threw all that weight behind Eleanora. She was precious to him, too precious to ever give up.

Irwyn grimaced. Johan was clearly trying to force the decision to be made now. “Excuse me,” Irwyn said, his manner noticeably distracted. He went over to the other eight men who huddled and conferred. Johan smiled a bit nervously at Eleanora. But whatever happened, he would still love her, and tonight they would be together. Even if that meant this place was about to descend into a brawl…

The conferring stopped, “We think this is a mistake.” Ormod said, “But also that we ought not deny our lord when it does not hurt the tribe. On Emma von Bremer, what says the moot?” The sentiment of the chamber was positive. While not overwhelming, there were decidedly more in favor. “The moot is in favor.” Ormod declared.

Johan smiled gleefully and gestured for Eleanora to approach his throne. The gesture was excited, urging her to come to him.

Eleanora was as surprised as everyone else when Johan declared his love for her, and her heart swelled with happiness. She hardly noticed the disruption around her as she gazed lovingly up at him. It would be plain to see that they both adored each other. It never even occurred to her that his admission might be detrimental to her acceptance. All that mattered was that he spoke up for her, claiming that she would be a comfort and an aid to him. She had already been both and would continue to do everything she could to please him for the rest of their lives.

She nodded emphatically again when he told the assembly that she wanted nothing but his love in return. There was no jealousy or sadness in her expression when he said he would marry for the good of his tribe. Secretly, Eleanora knew that she was the one who he would eventually wed. Adding a kingdom to his possessions and marrying a Queen would definitely be beneficial to everyone in his lands and her own. She just hoped that they would see those benefits when her grandfather showed up with his knights and demanded her return. With any luck, he wouldn't have time to go back home and raise an army.

Irwyn seemed annoyed by his lord's interruption, and her heartbeat quickened when he went to confer with the other men. She returned Johan's smile and her eyes never left his. Her body trembled with anxiety, knowing that these next few moments would decide not only her fate but his as well. If she was denied a place among these Saxons, they would both leave together and she didn't want him to have to give up everything he had achieved for her. Yet there was no point in leaving without him because no matter where she went, she knew that he would always find her. Such was the strength of the bond between them.

When Ormod announced that she could stay, the breath that she had not realized she had been holding whooshed out of her. Eleanora didn't care if they thought it was a mistake. She and Johan would prove them wrong. The majority of the people agreed with his decision, but because not all of them did, she knew she would still have to earn their respect.

Johan smiled enthusiastically and gestured her to approach him. Eleanora didn't hesitate, her own smile as bright as his own. Standing before the throne, she curtseyed to him, not certain what she was supposed to do next.

Johan had always intended to speak on her behalf. He was not neutral on the subject. No one would expect him to be. Those displeased by Eleanora’s presence might resent that, or think him foolish or her slave. Perhaps he was a little of both, but she was good for him. She made his heart swell and his days brighter. She was his lioness, his life, his light.

Even still, Johan felt he was telling the truth. He did intend to marry for the good of the tribe. He would do everything he could so that meant marrying Eleanora. That was often how he played: he tried to arrange the board so the move he wanted to make was the correct one.

Johan had every confidence Eleanora would win them with time. They feared rage and them falling out of love and Eleanora elevating her favorites or draining the treasury. Johan knew Eleanora would gladly dress in rags and never breathe a word on political matters if it pleased him. He knew too that he would take good care of her and cherish her counsel. Johan believed that even when they disagreed they would not truly quarrel. He saw a life stretching before them filled with happiness and love. It made him so happy he was lightheaded with joy.

Johan looked surprised and then amused when she stopped and curtseyed. He gestured for her to approach again and held open his arms. He had something more to say, but he wanted to do it with Eleanora by his side. Or in his arms, perhaps. The thought distracted him as he dreamed of her kisses and that familiar, soft press against him...

A profound sense of relief washed over Eleanora. She and Johan had won and she didn't have to worry about being sent away any longer. That didn't mean that her life would be easy here. Because the vote was not overwhelmingly in her favor, she knew that there were some that still didn't trust her. In time, though, they would see that she was not trying to manipulate their lord in any way and that she was not one of those women who were drawn to men just because they were powerful. She was completely and utterly devoted to Johan's happiness and they would realize that eventually.

Eleanora was not demanding either, nor was she interested in politics. Anyone who tried to get on her good side in order for her to speak to Johan on their behalf would be disappointed. She didn't need fancy clothes or jewels either and would never ask him to shower her with material possessions. In truth, she was happiest when she was wearing nothing at all and wrapped in her beloved's arms. All she wanted was to be with him forever. And now she was one step closer to that all important goal.

He seemed amused when she curtsied to him. Curtsying, she had discovered, never went wrong. It was a show of respect and most people enjoyed being treated with honor. He gestured to her again and opened his arms. Smiling happily, she ran into his embrace and hugged him tightly, uncaring as to what those gathered around them would think. Impulsively, she kissed him lightly on his cheek, lifting her head to whisper into his ear. “What do I do now? Can I stay here with you for the rest of the proceedings?”

Eleanora hadn’t committed a faux pas or made a mistake. Johan was amused because he’d expected her to run into his arms and instead she’d curtseyed formally. He wasn’t displeased, it had struck him as humorous. But once she understood she obliged eagerly and the whole thing was forgotten. He held her tightly and rocked slightly. This was victory and he wanted to share their joy.

Everyone was looking at them. A few were disgruntled, but the clear majority reacted with the indulgence people offered to love they did not themselves feel. “You can stay here, but you have to stay in f-f-front of me and can’t have a chair.” There was plenty of room to stand to either side of him. There were also steps leading up to the throne and she could sit on them comfortably.

“Stay for now,” Johan said. He stood and addressed those assembled. His troubles speaking continued, but he had no issue raising his voice. “Thank you f-f-for welcoming my love into the tribe. You w-w-will grow to love her almost as much as I do. She is a joy, a fount of endless… kindness. She will heal the t-t-tribe’s ill, feed our hungry, entertain and d-d-delight us.” Johan remembered her desire to become a healer, to help the poor, and about taking over parts of his household.

“She has given herself to me wholly and freely. And I am a m-m-man of honor. I will not make her languish as a mistress. I will take her as my concubine and grant her the honors of a thane.” Johan concluded.

This excited a great rush of whispers. Johan had overplayed his hand. To allow her to stay was one thing but Johan had just declared she would be with him permanently, forever. He’d brought up the idea they might have children. He’d forced the vote early and that was fine when it seemed a small decision. Now it was sinking in that even if Eleanora did nothing but love him and bear his children, she could have very important political and dynastic implications.

Yet Johan wanted Eleanora to have that much. She had dedicated herself to him completely and Johan wanted to give her as much security as he could. Both for her sake and the sake of their children. He knew she would have gladly bore any burden to ease his way. But there were some things he wanted to spare her.

He smiled at her, and took her hand, squeezing it. He’d intended they would trade vows now, but he thought better of it as the turned to conversation, growing louder. They would do it later, privately. Meanwhile Ormod was trying to restore order and having some success. Eleanora might guess that one of his qualifications for his position was a booming voice.

Johan looked at Eleanora and rolled his eyes, hand still in hers. Give them a bit of time, let them get to know her a bit, Johan thought. They'll all pretend they loved her from the start.

It felt so wonderful to be able to show their affection in public. Eleanora could feel everyone watching them. Hopefully, they would realize that they had made the right decision in letting her stay. It would be clear now how enamored they were of each other. “I wish I could sit on your lap,” she whispered, blowing playfully into his ear. “But I will be content to stand beside you, to give you my silent support while you deal with the rest of the issues that will be brought before you.”

She stepped away from him as he stood and addressed his people. Her heart swelled with love for him and she nodded in affirmation when he told them that she would heal them and help run his household and entertain them. All this she wished to do and more. Maybe tonight, she could sing for them after dinner, if they all gathered together for meals like they did in her grandfather's kingdom. Or perhaps there would be a banquet and she could perform for them then.

Eleanora was willing to do anything they asked of her and to learn whatever they wanted to teach her. Maybe there were things they could learn from her too. Most of all, she wanted to love their lord and bring him joy. If he was happy, then they would be too. Pleasing him was one thing she knew how to do well, and he knew how to please her too. They would always find love and comfort in each other's arms.

His announcement that he would make her his concubine and give her the honors of a Thane provoked another disturbance from the assembly. He had told her that as his concubine, she would have more rights than a mistress and that their children would be legitimate. She had no idea what the honors of a Thane entailed, and she would ask Johan about that later.

When he smiled at her and squeezed her hand, she squeezed back with more force than she had intended. So many people seemed to be protesting. Would he change his mind? Eleanora didn't care what her position was as long as every night it was either on top of him or beneath him. She could be treated as a simple peasant and it wouldn't matter to her.

She chuckled when he rolled his eyes as Ormod tried to restore order. He didn't seem to be worried about his people’s reaction and she would try not to worry herself over it either. He knew them much better than she did.

Johan hoped to never hide their affection. It was not in his nature, personally or culturally. He expected to spend the rest of his life declaring to all the world, in every stare and gesture, in every kiss and whisper, that he loved Eleanora deeply and completely.

He smiled as she whispered sweet words into his ears. A thrill ran down his spine, and his hand came around her. He gently nibbled her earlobe for a moment, whispering, “Soon,” He promised to his lap. He nodded with a smile and let her go to stand beside him. He liked the idea of her standing with him. He liked the idea more of her sitting beside him, as she would have the right to do when they were married.

As the furor erupted, Johan held her hand, trying to be reassuring. He sat back down. He knew Eleanora would bear any burden or hardship for him. He knew she would do it uncomplainingly. But he thought he had some idea of what she wanted. She wanted him to be entirely hers, she wanted to be his wife, she wanted to bear his children and have them inherit. Johan wanted to give her all these things… and he wanted to give her every sign that he would.

Maybe it was unnecessary. But Johan didn’t just want her to not doubt him. He wanted her to have no reason to doubt him. Just as she took pleasure in pleasing him, he took pleasure in pleasing her. Fortunately for her, against the stereotype of Saxons and the many failings of mankind, she had blindly given her trust to a man who was honorable enough to take that seriously.

Ormod managed to restore something like order, though lower grumblings continued. After conferring Ormod spoke, “We have welcomed Emma to be one of us, but we shall still be watching.”

“Watch her. I p-p-promise you,” Johan repeated, “You will love her almost as much as I do.” Johan looked up at Eleanora, smiling. That seemed to be the end of the matter, though Eleanora would see all sorts of eyes on her for the rest of the moot.

The rest of the meetings was uninteresting. There was some relief for a village undergoing famine. Plans for a new bridge. A decision on a legal matter involving land ownership. And speculation on why the royal inspectors were coming (with no conclusion reached).

The only useful thing was that they were expected to arrive tomorrow and, apparently, Johan was supposed to receive them tomorrow morning. Rumor was that some of her grandfather’s men were with them and the general consensus was it had something to do with Eleanora (who no one connected with Emma).

Johan himself paid studious attention, except when he was staring at her lovingly. She drew his eyes, as she always did. He encouraged moderate relief for the village, was excited by the new bridge, and was mostly neutral about the law changes. He said little on the inspectors either way. With that, the moot was at a close. The horn blew and people began to filter out.

But Johan looked at her with a smile. He patted his lap invitingly. Eleanora could wait until the hall was mostly empty, or she could rush over while most people were still leaving.

Archived