JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

One Night in Camelot

Guest John Bramston

A treasury? Did it contain priceless wonders that could not be taken from it? Everything he said about his former home made her more eager to see it. Except the part about creatures who were too evil to be released. Hopefully, they wouldn't run into any of those. The ones he described as unable to think and reason were probably as harmless as cats and didn't scare her. Maybe they were as cute as cats as well.

She laughed when he teased her about what to call him. “You are all those things and more. So I can call you Bram there?” It was a strange name, but easy to say and remember. "Will the creatures have power over me too if they know my real name?” As long as he referred to her as Emma, she should be safe enough.

“Oh, I think I have seen those bushes. I just didn't know what they were called. They grow in my grandfather's kingdom as well. Or at least I think they do. Please show me one when we get there in case I am mistaken.”

The only weapon she had was the seax he had given her that morning. “I don't have much of a choice when it comes to clothing. I have just two gowns. Would it be better for me to dress like a boy?” If so, perhaps one of his servants had something she could borrow.

It took Johan a few moments to consider her question about summoning him. “Because I have magic?” she asked. Eleanora would feel much safer if she knew she could call for him wherever he was. She didn't think that her grandfather could get away with kidnapping her, but his men were quite sneaky and might be hatching an elaborate plan to spirit her away.

She allowed him to pull her to her feet and responded enthusiastically to his kiss. Pulliing away, she picked up one item of clothing at a time and began to dress him, occasionally stopping to run her hands over his warm bare skin before she covered it up. “What happens when I summon you? Do you just appear before me or do you have to travel to wherever I happen to be?”

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John shook his head when she asked if she had to hide her name, “No. You are human.” Where Johan was known as a fae, he kept his name secret. Where he used his name, he kept that he was a fae secret. Few people knew both, and Eleanora was the only magical one. Johan trusted her absolutely though.

“Maybe.” Johan seemed to consider. “Wear something you d-d-don’t mind losing. Maybe b-b-borrow a maid’s outfit. I w-w-will change it into something better suited.” Johan would be much more powerful in his realm. “And bring the seax.” It would be good to have a weapon.

Realizing they hadn’t quite resolved the issue of her wardrobe, “My sisters w-w-will have some thread and fabric, for when we’re… back. And I’ll give you a budget to buy… c-c-clothes and jewelry.”

Johan shook his head when she said magic might let him hear her from farther away. “It’s not enough to p-p-pluck one. There needs to be a connection to me. Do it in my forest, that’s the connection.” Johan said. “Maybe our l-l-love connects us. Maybe wherever you are, if you plucked one I would hear.” Love could do strange things with magic. “There’s some outside the city gates, if you w-w-want to try it.” From Johan’s tone, he did.

Johan shook his head, “It’s like… the faintest whisper of a breath when you pluck it. And I can see you there, hear your words. And normally it becomes easy to t-t-travel there, but it might be different over longer distances.” Or perhaps not. Maybe Eleanora’s magic would ease his travel.

Johan smiled, leaning in as she touched him. Still shirtless but otherwise dressed, he pulled her against him briefly, “If your grandfather d-d-does take you, I w-w-will bring you back. There is no p-p-prison, no tower, no guard… that can keep me from stealing you away. Even in the highest t-t-tower, the darkest dungeon… one night, you will close your eyes… And you will wake on the soft grass of my forest home.”

Johan’s mistress had kidnapped whoever she pleased. With her magic, few had been able to stop her. Johan had never approved but he’d been in thrall. Free of it, he would never forcefully kidnap people to serve his whims. But if Eleanora was taken from him, it would be a rescue, not a kidnapping.

But after a kiss Eleanora was free to continue dressing them. Johan smiled. He knew she was glad to do it, but Johan appreciated it deeply. It was a sign she cared.

So she didn't have to worry about Johan calling her by her real name. The creatures in the magic forest had no power over humans. Eleanora knew that her love was a fae and had seen the way his face changed whenever he cast a spell. But his otherworldly nature was simply a part of him and it didn't bother her a bit. “Will you change form while you're there or will you still look the same?”

Eleanora didn't want to ruin either the gown she had brought with her or the one she had been given when she had first arrived. “After you're dressed, will you ask a maid if I can borrow one of her dresses?” She didn't know any of them well enough to ask them herself. “Yes, I will bring the seax. I know you will protect me and I will have my mother's pendant, but I would feel better having a way to defend myself.” Her own magic was still too unreliable to count on.

“Thank you,” she said to his offer of fabric. “I can make my own clothes so I won't be a bother to your servants.” She looked forward to buying trims for her gowns and jewelry to go with them. “I still have the money you gave me this morning. I didn't go shopping after all.” She had no idea how much she would need, but she trusted that he would provide more than enough for her needs.

“If our love connects us, then you should be able to hear me even if I'm on the other side of the world.” Their bond was strong and sure, and could never be torn asunder. “Yes, I would like to try it.” She was curious as to what it would feel like when she plucked the rose and if she could see him the way he would be able to see her. “So I must speak to summon you?” That might be difficult if her grandfather's men gagged her, which they probably would if they tried to abduct her.

Eleanora smiled when he pulled her against him, her bare skin against his. She believed him with all her heart. They could never be separated for very long. Her grandfather's soldiers were vicious, though. She didn't want him to be injured while trying to save her. Hopefully, his magic was powerful enough to defeat them. He seemed more confident in his supernatural abilities than he was about anything else besides his love for her.

She kissed him back and then finished dressing him. “All we need to do now is find something for me to wear, and we'll be ready to go.”

Johan nodded that he would change form. He tensed slightly as he did, not for fear of her rejection but for fear of the transformation itself. It was not a kind, well done thing, meant to ease or improve him. It had been a cruel twisting that had pierced him to the root. The transformation was rarely pleasant.

Johan smiled. He didn’t know whether it would. But he hoped. “You d-d-don’t need to speak but I’ll be able to hear you.” He elaborated. “And it p-p-probably needs to be a natural plant rather than a potted one, in nature rather than a c-c-castle or something.” The plant was also uncommon. Her grandfather’s guards were unlikely to let her run around a forest looking for one.

Johan was confident in his abilities to steal into a place and spirit someone away because his mistress had forced him to kidnap people. But it was never risk free. And if her grandfather already knew there was magic afoot, he could take precautions to make it more difficult. Perhaps the magic hating tyrant even had some tricks of his own to thwart someone like Johan.

Johan nodded and with one last squeeze stepped out of the room. He returned shortly with a slightly ill fitting maid’s dress. He held it out to Eleanora with a smile.

Once she was dressed he led her out. His treasury was a stony structure, flat and squat and windowless. It stood out like a sore thumb among its wooden surroundings. It was not an especially beautiful building but it was topped with a beautiful ironwork image of the white bird.

There were guards standing outside it and a thick wooden door with iron bolts. Naturally, Johan was quietly waved through with nothing more than curious glances at Eleanora. Inside looked more like a store room than a golden treasury, full of weapons and salt and other valuable mundanities. But beyond that still was a vault, iron bars over wood and with a huge lock. It took three guards to actually move the door after it was unlocked. Behind that was a second, much lighter door one of the guards pulled open for them. One of them handed Johan a key and the lighter door was shut while the heavy one stayed open.

Inside was a wealth of gold and jewels piled high, a testament both to his people’s raiders and Johan’s administrative skills. There were many, many crowns and coronets in the room. They were strung up along the walls in the same manner as the trophies in the hall. “There,” Johan pointed across the room. There were two stone chests, ornately carved, both locked. One was decorated with the image of a ruler, powerful and violent and awe inspiring. The other had a woman decorated with scenes of health, good cheer, and family.

Johan held out the key to Eleanora. “When we m-m-marry, everything in that chest will be yours. And afterward, it and all you… add to it w-w-will belong to your son’s wife.” She would find a lady's coronet, a beautiful outfit that matched the one Johan wore at the moot with a great deal of jewelry, and two ornate knives. At the bottom she would also find each woman had scratched their name into the box and had a cameo of them carved in.

Eleanora noticed his sudden tenseness when he confirmed that his appearance would change in the enchanted forest. She reached out and squeezed his hand. He must be worried that I will be afraid of him. “I might be startled when I first see you, but I promise I will not be afraid and I will still hold tight to your hand. No matter what you look like while you are there, I will still love you, my precious Johan.”

The maid's dress he brought for her was too long and almost uncomfortably tight in the bodice, but it would do. She hoped that none of the seams popped. That would be awkward, although she thought Johan would be amused. She bunched some of the skirt fabric beneath her belt so that she wouldn't trip on the hem, and then stuck the seax through it. Elenaora thought she probably looked ridiculous, but it didn't matter. Johan would love her no matter how she looked. And maybe the magical creatures in the forest would think she was some poor peasant girl and show no interest in her.

She followed him as he led her outside again and to a formidable stone structure which was decorated with the now-familiar white bird. Because of the guards and the heavy bolted door, this must be his treasury and she wondered what marvels it held besides the coronets. Eleanora had never been in her grandfather's treasure room. It was hidden so well, she'd had no idea where it was or she might have tried to sneak in.

Inside, there were no treasures in evidence. It looked like a normal storage room to her, and she followed him over to another locked door in the wall augmented with iron bars. It must have been very heavy since it took three guards to pull it open. They were faced with yet another door, but it looked normal. This is a building of doors., she thought.

Once through the third door, Eleanora blinked at the wealth of riches inside. From all of the crowns and coronets strung along the walls, he must have defeated a lot of kings. Turning in a slow circle, she looked around her, her eyes wide with wonder, until Johan pointed out two chests sitting across the room.

She strolled toward them. One was decorated with the image of a man that bespoke of power and the other with a woman surrounded with gentle scenes. It wasn't difficult to guess which one would be hers.

Elenora took the key from him as he explained what it contained and that it would be passed on to their first son's wife after her death. Upon opening it, her blue eyes sparkled with delight. “Everything is so beautiful!” she exclaimed. “I cannot believe it will all be mine!” She ruffled through the contents, running her fingers over the silky fabric of the clothing and taking out various pieces of jewelry to examine them. It seemed that she would also have two more weapons, much more ornate than her simple seax.

She saw the names and images when she moved the clothing out of the way to see what else was inside. “My name will be carved there one day too?” she asked, replacing everything where she had found it. The last item she picked up was the coronet and Eleanora held it out to him. “Will you do the honors?” she asked. As her future husband, he should be the one who crowned her, even in secret.

Johan smiled at her assurance. He’d always known that, but he still loved to hear it. “I’m not afraid of that. I’m sure you’d… love me however I looked. But the transformation is…” Johan trailed off and that same tenseness was back. “You w-w-will see. Holding tight will be for both our benefits.”

Johan didn’t know if she could do more than comfort him now. But once she was skilled, a healer, he hoped she could ease the damage his old mistress had done. There was no way to prevent him from changing, that was an inherent part of him. But if Eleanora redid with care and love what she had done with callous disregard it would become painless. As easy as changing clothes.

Johan smiled at her wonderment, “And m-m-more besides. These are your ceremonial clothes. There are incomes, rooms… and p-p-property for being my wife.” Johan doubted she would make much use of the rooms or her private lands. He expected she would prefer to stay with him. “You w-w-will be expected to add to them, to make them yours, and leave them better than you f-f-found… them in the end.” He had no doubt she would.

Johan nodded that her name would be carved. Her portrait would be carved too and for so long as his people were here she would be remembered.

He was surprised when she turned to him. But his surprise quickly melted into a happy smile. He indicated she should kneel before him. He held the crown aloft over her head and intoned with due seriousness. “Do you, Eleanora, swear before God and folk that you will receive this man as a husband now and forever? That you will foreswear all other men and allegiances? That you will be a wife to him, aiding and holding him above all others?”

These were the Saxon wedding vows and when Johan replied in kind they would be in a morganatic marriage. Another secret, though Johan hoped she would be his full and public wife soon. Once he could figure a way to kill her grandfather without bringing down the King Arthur’s wrath, he would do it and they would be married. Perhaps before, if they could.

Again, Eleanora sensed his tenseness when he spoke of his transformation. Did it hurt, she wondered? She didn't want to distress him by asking him about it. When they got to the magic forest, she would see for herself, and she would comfort him if he was in pain, never letting go of his hand. Her mother's crystal pendant, nestled underneath her gown, seemed a bit warmer than usual, but she had no idea why.

In the treasury, her eyes widened. “More?” she echoed incredulously. She would one day rule her own kingdom and didn't need extra income or more lands. If the rooms included a bedchamber, she knew she would never use it unless Johan was with her. She never wanted to sleep anywhere but curled up in his arms.

Eleanora liked the idea of adding items to the chest that reflected her own sense of fashion to pass on to future generations and redecorating the rooms and any residences on the properties in her own style. And she would definitely leave everything better than she found it. “I look forward to everything that comes from being your wife, but all I really need is you.”

She stroked the soft silk of the robes again. “Are these new or did they once belong to your mother?” she asked. The thought of wearing family heirlooms appealed to her, although she would probably have to alter them before she wore them. So far, she had not seen a single Saxon woman who was as short as she was. “Will I also sit beside you when there is an assembly like there was today?”

He appeared surprised when she handed the coronet to him but then he grinned and indicated that she should kneel. Eleanora dropped gracefully to her knees before him and bowed her head demurely, listening to the words he spoke. They sounded like wedding vows to her. Was he just preparing her for what would happen when they finally married or was he now wedding her in secret?

Her head remained bowed, but when it was time to answer, she raised it and looked up at him lovingly. “Yes, I do,” she said, her voice as serious and solemn as his own. Then she bowed her head again, expecting that he would place the coronet upon it.

There was a reason so many women sought men like Johan. Even if they didn’t love him, there were extensive perks to being his wife. Johan knew that Eleanora would have loved him even if he were a pauper. But he wasn’t, and he would gladly give her what was rightfully his wife’s. Just as she would give him what was rightfully her husband’s in her kingdom.

“I l-l-look forward to being a king. But that’s n-n-not why I love you.” Johan replied. Coming up behind her, he gently placed a hand and squeezed it affectionately. In truth, originally he had made such calculations. But he’d quickly fell in love genuinely with Eleanora.

He felt so fortunate to have her. Many men never found love, others had to cobble together a love. One woman who was pleasing to sleep with, another who cared for him as a person, another who was acceptable to marry… Eleanora was everything he could want in one woman.

He peered over her shoulder, looking at what items she liked best. She asked if they were from his mother, “Some of them. Others to my g-g-grandmother. Others to my g-g-great grandmother. They are my heritage. More than m-m-money or rooms, these are p-p-precious things.” They were heirlooms, a trust Eleanora was given to pass on. Johan had no doubt Eleanora would gladly take up that mantle.

“My w-w-wife can sit next to me, but doesn’t n-n-need to.” The distinction was important because Eleanora’s presence wasn’t a necessity. Her absence wouldn’t affect anything politically. But if she wished to sit next to him, she could by right.

But then she kneeled. Johan held the coronet aloft.

Johan looked down at her, eyes sparkling with love. “Then with this I pledge my marriage oath to you. I take you as my wife from this day forth and forever.” Johan, his hands shaking slightly as they ever did, placed the coronet on her head. His hand slipped under her chin, bringing bowed head to look at his. His eyes sparkled with love and joy.

“Rise Eleanora, wife of Johan, jarless of the King of Saxons, chieftainess of Essaxenga, mother of the tribe.” If she rose, Johan would draw her into his arms and a deep kiss. Pressing into her, his body against hers, his lips seeking hers with an eagerness Eleanora had often invoked but that was otherwise rare in Johan. It was a moment shared just between them. They had belonged to each other from the first night, but there was still pleasure in these ceremonies for Johan.

Johan’s hand came down to cup her cheek. His eyes sparkled with adoration, “I w-w-will carry you across the threshold tonight. And m-m-make love to you as my wife.” Normally Eleanora would be a virgin, deflowered on her wedding night. But though Johan had already deflowered her, he still wanted his bedding.

It would be a secret, but what was one more? Soon her grandfather would be dead and the world would know of their love.

“I know,” she said, looking over her shoulder at him. Eleanora didn't know that he had once contemplated marrying her for her kingdom, but even if she had, it wouldn't have mattered now. She knew that their lives were forever entwined and that he would still love her even if she lost the kingdom after her grandfather's death. Female rulers were unheard of where she came from, and power-hungry men might try to take it from her. With Johan by her side, she doubted that they would succeed, but there was also a chance that her people would not accept a Saxon King. But they would worry about those things when the time came.

So some of the items in the chest went back many generations. “I will cherish them as much as you do and add some items of my own, including everything you gift me with.” Her mother's crystal pendant would not be among them. It would be given to their eldest daughter instead.

“I want to sit next to you,” she insisted. “When you are faced with difficult issues, you can look over at me and see the love in my eyes.” She would never presume to advise him unless he asked for her opinions in private. And watching him rule would teach her how to run a kingdom when she came into her own.

Kneeling before him, her entire body trembled when he made his own marriage oath to her and placed the coronet on her head. It did not feel heavy at all and it fit perfectly, almost as if it had been made just for her. He lifted her chin, and she smiled at his loving gaze.

Eleanora stood when he told her to rise and he drew her into his embrace and kissed her passionately, his body pressed enticingly against her own. She returned his kiss with joyful abandon, surrendering herself to the pleasure of his lips. It truly felt as if they were married now, even if it was in secret. In truth, she wanted to make to love to him right here and now in the treasury, but she didn't want to spoil their 'wedding night.'

“I can hardly wait,” she whispered. She had always thought that she would be afraid on the night of her marriage, but she already knew of the delights he had in store for her. Although she was no longer a maiden, he had taken her virginity and he was the only man she would ever know intimately.

Reluctantly breaking the kiss, she took a step back. “How does the coronet look on me?”

Johan had never contemplated using Eleanora and casting her aside. But his love had grown by degrees. In the very beginning, he’d thought saving her was both morally right and would furnish him with lands and titles. Even if she’d not loved him, she would have been safe with him. But from there she’d quickly won him and now that was a distant thought, mostly forgotten.

Johan laughed, “Not everything or the box will overflow.” John would find out what she liked and shower her with it from time to time. Not because Eleanora was materialistic but because he wanted her to be happy.

Still, Johan’s smile was warm. He was heartened to see her taking this seriously. Johan smiled and nodded when she insisted she wanted to be with him. “I’ll be glad to have you.” Perhaps he could arrange their chairs to be closer together and they could hold hands…

But then they recited their vows. Johan smiled widely. He didn’t think he’d ever been as happy as he was with her. And he enjoyed another pressing, another sweet pressing of lips. He didn’t think he’d ever tire of such affections. And now especially, he felt close to her, gripping her tight with the need of love.

Johan’s reply to her whisper was in his eyes. Johan smiled and gently cupped her cheek. He looked then, as he often did, as a man entirely lovestruck and overjoyed with her. We might not get any sleep tonight.

She pulled away. Johan looked at her, briefly appraising. He took her by her hand and gently pirouetted her to get a full look. He sighed, “Your hair is a b-b-brighter gold than the shining gold of its circlet. Your eyes sparkle b-b-brighter than the inlaid jewels.” Johan smiled. “It l-l-looks lovely. You will c-c-cut a finer figure than even I do on the throne.”

“Oh, so you plan on giving me lots of gifts?” Her eyes lit up with delight. Eleanora was not a greedy person and had lived most of her life without many personal possessions, but everything Johan gave her would be precious to her. And she would buy and make things for him as well. Giving gifts was yet another way to show their love for each other. “I will only add those items that will have meaning for my successor.” She grinned. “I have to save some things for our many daughters.”

Johan seemed to like the idea of her sitting beside him at official meetings. His broad smile, as always, warmed her heart. She suspected that the proceedings would bore her to tears and be difficult for her to understand, at least at first, but her place was at his side and it was also where she wanted to be. It would also show their unity, and how devoted they were to each other.

Eleanora leaned into his hand when he cupped her cheek. It was quite clear that he was as eager as she was to make love as husband and wife. Yet before their secret marriage was consummated, she wanted to see his magical forest. It was an important part of him and she wished to know everything about him. By allowing her to go there, he was showing his trust in her, and by agreeing to venture into a frightening unknown, she was showing her trust in him.

He studied her and she laughed when he took her by the hand and twirled her around. At the mention of her golden hair, though, she frowned and took off the magical armband so that she would look like herself and not Emma. “And now?” she asked, the armband dangling from one hand. “Does it look as lovely against my own pale hair?

Eleanora's gaze swept the treasury. “Is there a mirror here?”

“Lots and lots,” Johan said with a smile, “I w-w-will bury you under silks and kittens.” Eleanora would never want for possessions again. And Johan delighted in making her happy. “I have something f-f-for you before we go, in fact.” Though it was neither silk nor kittens.

Johan found such topics genuinely interesting. While he did have a sense of duty, it was made easier by the fact considering where a bridge should be built or how a law should be phrased was genuinely an interest. He would not blame Eleanora for having other interests. Perhaps he could use some more social, fun ones himself.

Johan gently caressed her cheek as she leaned in. Johan intended their wedding night to be a night. They still had half a day till sundown and Johan was planning to take her to his forest after this. He too wanted her to see that place. He wanted to get her what he could of healing texts and magic. And to show her yet another part of him.

Johan smiled and his eyes flashed just slightly as she removed her armband. He preferred to see her as herself. “It l-l-looks better.” Johan’s tone was sincere and tinged with his love and attraction. He squeezed her hand.

There weren’t mirrors set up for dressing or viewing oneself like in a bedroom. But there were some gilded and bejeweled mirrors thrown in among the treasure. John picked one up and cleaned it up a little. Rather than holding it up for her, he came around and put his arm around her waist. He held the mirror up so it showed the image of both their faces. He let out a small laugh and kissed her cheek.

Eleanora grinned when he promised to shower her with silks and kittens. “I think I look forward to the kittens the most.” She did love cats and missed caring for the ones who roamed around her grandfather's castle and its grounds. Their purpose was to catch mice but they sometimes got into fights and needed to be patched up and most of them loved to be petted.

“You have already given me so much!” she exclaimed when he said he had a gift for her before they left. Was there something in the treasury that she could have before they were married? Maybe he wanted to give her something that would protect her in his magical forest. Or just another of his delightful kisses. Eleanora would be as happy with a kiss as she would be with the most precious of jewels.

She felt as if she was doing all the taking and he was doing all the giving, but this was his domain. When she became Queen and they went to her kingdom for the first time, it would be her turn to bestow lavish gifts upon him.

Eleanora had known that Johan would say the coronet looked better against her flaxen curls even if it really didn't. But his voice was sincere and she didn't doubt that he was telling the truth. When he squeezed her hand, she brought it to her lips and kissed it.

He found a sparkling mirror and after he had cleaned it, she thought he was going to give it to her, Instead he stepped behind her and wrapped an arm around her waist, holding it up so that both their faces were reflected in the glass. Eleanora gazed at him instead of the glittering coronet on her head. She watched as he kissed her cheek and then finally turned her attention to the crown. “It's so pretty,” she whispered, “but do you know what I like best? The two of us together. We look like we were made for each other.”

Johan smiled. He had a few cats. Johan preferred dogs but he liked cats too. He liked most animals. Perhaps when they got back he could introduce them.

Johan smiled and leaned over for a kiss. “Buried. In Gifts.” Johan emphasized. He was known for his generosity to his friends and followers. Eleanora would find a constant stream of small gifts and a few large ones. It was how Johan showed closeness, even non-romantic closeness. And there was no one in his life closer than her. “Your gift is outside.” Johan smiled. She would get it after this, when they prepared to leave for the forest.

Johan didn’t feel like he was doing all the giving. She’d given herself to him and that was worth more than his entire treasury. He knew that once she was in a position to she would give as freely as he had. But if she remained poor and gave him nothing but her love, he’d consider it generous repayment.

Johan really did like Eleanora’s actual visage best. It was the face he’d fallen in love with. And his hand tingled against her lips. He smiled a curled, happy smile and his hand gently held tight.

“I’ve n-n-never seen a lovelier sight.” Johan said of the two of them. He liked the look of them together, the way she looked at him. How happy he was, how deep the love in their eyes was. He pulled her tightly against his side, snuggling up.

“We should sit a p-p-portrait sometime. Not a regal, f-f-formal one. One of us together, loving.” It was a whim, but Johan liked the idea of immortalizing the fresh bloom of their love. That when they were old and grey and rickety, or when one had gone before the other, they could look up and remember.

Eleanora sighed happily against his lips when he kissed her. She would be perfectly content with only his love, though the thought of drowning in gifts would appeal to any young woman. Perhaps in time, she would discover that he was generous to everyone, but even then she would know that his gifts to her were special. “Outside?” she asked, her eyes lighting up. “Are you really going to bury me in kittens?” She was only jesting, of course. He probably wanted to give her something that would help her in the enchanted forest.

He looked so happy standing beside her. They looked like the perfect royal couple, in her opinion. As he pulled her closer, Eleanora raised her head and kissed him gently, her eyes still riveted on the mirror so she could see his reaction. Reluctantly pulling away, she leaned back against him, enjoying the way his body pressed up against hers. She rested her head against his shoulder, and sighed again.

Once she had only seen herself in the mirror, and had despaired that she would always be alone. Now she knew she never would be. He was a part of her and they were joined together forever. How fortunate she was to have him! That pesky floating goblet had been a blessing in disguise.

“We should,” she agreed. “One where we are entwined together, gazing at each other with fondness and passion. When we are officially married, we can have a formal one painted with us both wearing our robes and coronets. And another one dressed in the finery of my own kingdom.”

Her eyes sought the reflection of his. “Do you know a painter you can trust, who won't reveal my true identity?” She didn't want to be immortalized as Emma, but as herself.

Johan laughed, “Maybe someday.” A pile of kittens sounded delightful. But he wasn’t going to spoil the surprise of what his gift was. It wasn’t so far off from a kitten, at least from a certain point of view. She was right it would be useful. And it was something he doubted her grandfather would have let her have.

Still, the idea of lacing her dress with catnip upon their return to her home amused him. Her cats would be glad to see her anyway, but seeing them all drawn and nuzzling and rubbing against her was… charming in its way. And hilarious.

When she kissed him Johan’s face showed surprise, then a pleased satisfaction, and then he was consumed by the kiss, coming around and pressing in. His eyes closed as he lost himself in the experience of their love, pressing against her. The taste of her breath, the swell of her breasts, her smell, her touch… This was heaven. When she rested against him he leaned in, still holding her tightly, and let out a sigh of pure contentment.

Johan nodded. She wanted many portraits but Johan was happy to indulge her. When she asked about whether he knew any painters he could trust, “I’ll have to ask. B-b-but I’m sure I could find someone.” He didn’t want her to be immortalized as Emma either. He loved her however she looked, but her natural form, pure and beautiful, would always please him best. " How should we be entwined? In each other's arms? You on t-t-top of me? You c-c-cradling me? In a p-p-passionate kiss?" Each option seemed better than the last to Johan and he smiled at each thought.

Johan paused and smiled. A hand came down to gently cradle her head on his shoulder, “I l-l-love you, Eleanora. You are my lioness, the sun of my world, the warmth that gives me life. With every breath I draw, I b-b-breathe in… more of you and I love you more. I hope you know that. I hope you f-f-feel it every time I… l-l-look at you, every t-t-time we make love.”

“If it's not kittens, then whatever could it be?” She knew that he wanted to surprise her, but she couldn't hide her excitement. “I can hardly wait to go back outside now.” Eleanora wondered how he would feel about letting cats into their bedchamber at night. She had often left her door open in her grandfather's kingdom, and the castle cats found their way in, particularly in winter. The warmth of the fire drew them, and often she awakened with felines sleeping either beside her or on top of her.

She watched the emotions change on his face and then closed her eyes in pleasure, reveling in the beautiful sensations dancing through her. Eleanora adored their closeness, both physical and emotional, and would never cease to marvel at how a Saxon had stolen her heart. She had once feared his people because of the stories she had heard about them, but he had changed all that. It was also hard to believe that they had only known each other a few days. He was so much a part of her now that she didn't understand how she had lived without him for so long.

“Or we could wait until it is safe for everyone to know who I am.” She didn't want his people to revolt against him because he had lied to them about her. An untrustworthy painter could destroy their faith in their lord. But how long would it be before she could quit disguising herself? Days? Months? Years? Eleanora wanted a testament to the love they had for each other now, while it was still new. Maybe they should have their portraits painted every year.

“Maybe we can have it painted in that meadow you took me to, the one with all the flowers. I could sit on a blanket and you could lie with your head in my lap and I could lovingly caress your face.” She grinned wickedly. “Or we could be naked in bed, making love. Sitting .., or more appropriately, lying … for that one would be delightful.”

Eleanora turned her head and kissed his hand. “I do. I feel your love for me even when we are apart. This morning when I was in the village looking at the walls, it was as if I could feel you beside me. And I hope you can feel mine as well. You are everything to me, my dearest Johan, and I love you so much. I never believed it was possible to love somebody the way I love you. You took me out of the darkness and brought me into the light, and now I bask in the glow of your love.”

Johan felt a strong urge to reveal the surprise, so hard was it to deny her anything. But he wanted to see her face on revealing the gift. Johan thought it had significance beyond just its value and the fact it was from him.

Johan often let dogs sleep with him, especially in winter. He’d been keeping them out until he could broach the subject with Eleanora. Sometimes cats joined in, but he’d never kept as many as Eleanora. He would be glad to let them in so long as there was room left for his furry friends.

Johan broke the kiss only reluctantly. His lips left hers but he remained close. His eyes looked deep in her deep, crystal blues. And every fiber of his being, from his beating heart to his ears warmed with blood, sung its love of her.

“I’ll ask around.” Johan promised. “I w-w-want to have one of you now, when you f-f-first knew me.” Johan thought he could find a painter who was suitably discrete. Johan could offer the painter wealth and a position if he served well and punishment if they betrayed the secret. Besides, Johan thought artistic types were more interested in their arts than politics.

Johan’s smile got wider and wider as Eleanora came up with tantalizing ideas. “I like b-b-both.” Johan grinned. “One f-f-for the hall, one f-f-for our p-p-private rooms.” Of course, they might have to try it many, many times to get it right… Johan tugged her closer, inhaling sharply aroused at the very thought of her.

Johan’s hand curled at her kiss and his heart swelled at her words. “I love you.” He repeated, the words sweet on his lip although he knew she knew. He pressed against her and was tempted. He was always tempted, but here, so close to her… “We should go,” He said, reluctantly. But after a moment his eyes sparkled, “We’ll m-m-make up for it tonight.” Before they left, Eleanora needed to put back the coronet.

Eleanora didn't have much experience with dogs, but if Johan wanted them to sleep on his bed, she wouldn't protest as long as cats were allowed as well. However, all furry creatures would have to vacate the room whenever they made love. She didn't feel comfortable doing that in front of pets. Not that they would notice. It just seemed wrong somehow.

“And I want a portrait of you the way you are now. But be careful who you choose. They will know that I change my appearance with magic and they might guess that I am the missing princess if descriptions of me are spread around. The painter needs to be someone completely loyal to you.”

Her heart swelled with joy that he liked her ideas. For some reason, copulating in front of a painter didn't bother her. Instead it thrilled her that their most intimate moments could be immortalized on canvas. Desire once more rose within her as he pulled her closer. “I love you more,” she grinned, enjoying the way his body felt pressed close against hers.

Again, she thought how exciting it would be to make love in the treasury, and she didn't think it would take much to convince him. Yet then he suggested, rather reluctantly, that they go, and promised that the evening would be full of delights. Eleanora did want to see his magical forest, and if they tarried too long, they would either have to go after dark or postpone it to another day.

“If we don't go now, we never will.” Slipping from his embrace, she knelt by the chest and took off the coronet, placing it where she had found it and closing the lid. Standing up, she held out her hand to him. “Lead on, my love.”

Hopefully they wouldn’t fight like cats and dogs. Perhaps the two of them would find their first cultural gap to bridge in their own bedroom. Though not in their lovemaking. There they were perfectly matched.

Johan nodded. He would do his best but there would be a risk. Johan hoped that soon they would be able to force the issue. If they were very lucky, they would find a way to kill her grandfather soon. Regardless, they would have portraits painted before that confrontation. If he fell in battle, he knew Eleanora would want something to remember his visage.

Johan let out a laugh and squeeze Eleanora tight at her grinned declaration. Despite his suggestion Johan couldn’t help but feel disappointed as Eleanora slipped from his arms. But he took her hand gladly and tugged her to follow close. As they left his steps grew excited.

They went through the hallways outside to the stables. There were always a plethora of horses here and they stopped before one. It was a strong mare of pure white. It had a gentle but strong disposition and a love of running free that could make her difficult. Her body was powerful and she looked from Johan to Eleanora before focusing on the small white haired woman.

Johan took the reins and held them out to Eleanora. She’d ridden with him before, but now. He didn’t say anything but he smiled widely. There was just a hint of expectation, the hope she’d like the surprise.

Johan knew Eleanora loved animals. But the horse wasn’t just a new animal friend. It was a symbol of her freedom. She could come to the stable and take her own horse and go wherever she pleased. Even if that was to chase down Johan and steal him away from his duties. And an important step in this becoming her home. After the moot, she could go almost anywhere without comment. A privilege, from her descriptions, she hadn’t even had in her own castle.

It was also eminently practical. She could ride her own horse to his forest, if she pleased.

Luckily, Eleanora did not consider the possibility of Johan dying in battle as a reason for having their portrait painted. If the thought occurred to her in the future, she would want many images of him, both with her and with their children. It would be wise to have several of her as well. If she died in childbirth, at least their children would know what their mother had looked like.

But her mind was on happy things now. One day she would be his wife and everything that had belonged to his female ancestors would be hers. She also looked forward to returning to the treasury and exploring everything in it. If she was not allowed inside by herself until they were married, perhaps he would come with her when his duties allowed and tell her how his tribe had come by some of the objects within.

As he pulled her to her feet, Eleanora slid the armband back on, transforming herself once more back into Emma. Her excitement matched his own while they traversed the corridors, her mind overflowing with ideas as to what kind of gift he had for her. Once they were outside and heading toward the stables, she thought she knew, but she was still surprised when they stopped in front of a beautiful white mare. When the horse turned her large liquid eyes to her, Eleanora fell in love.

“Oh, Johan! She's lovely!” Her heart leapt when she saw his wide smile and she threw herself into his arms and hugged him tightly. “I've never had a horse of my own!” Stepping back, she took the reins he held out to her and moved closer to the mare so that she could stroke her long neck.

She didn't ride very well, and it would be some time before she felt comfortable riding on her own. And she would miss riding cradled in Johan's arms. However, she understood that this precious gift would give her the freedom to go wherever she wished even when his responsibilities took him away from her.

“Will she be all right in your forest, or should I ride with you today?” She didn't want the horse to become frightened in a place full of strange magic. Eleanora was more concerned for the mare's well-being than the risk to herself if she should lose control.

Johan took her into a tight embrace. He squeezed her tightly, pressing them together. There was a look of pure joy at Eleanora’s happiness. And pride too. He was so happy she’d chosen to come with him. Every thought, every fiber repeated his love for her over and over, and it was apparent in his gaze. When she stepped away Johan’s hand lingered on her, though leaving her free to stroke the horse.

The horse responded well to Eleanora, leaning down to examine her new petite mistress before leaning in with half lidded eyes to her attentions. While she had something of a wild streak and a love of running free, she was gentle and friendly. He knew Eleanora would do best on a horse that enjoyed being ridden.

“We’ll leave them at a lodge j-j-just outside. We’ll t-t-tell people we’re going to look at nature. They’ll be safe.” Johan’s love of nature made disappearing into forests unremarkable. While it was an oddity much remarked on, the Saxons were a surprisingly tolerant people in a pragmatic sort of way. They were largely content to indulge Johan’s peculiarities so long as it didn’t harm them.

“You should ride her,” Johan encouraged. “I’ll t-t-teach you the basics.” There was a pessimistic but pragmatic calculation there. In the worst case, Johan wanted Eleanora to be able to escape if it came down to it. He knew she would never abandon him, but if he was killed… he wanted her to live.

Of course, sometimes they would still go riding together. Eleanora in his arms, a field like before… that was heaven for both of them.

“But first,” Johan smiled, “You n-n-need to name her.” Johan opened the gate to the stable and the horse walked out. She didn’t tug on Eleanora’s grip on the reins. She mostly looked curious, deep eyes looking at Eleanora with a combination of fear and curiosity.

Eleanora clung to Johan, as always enjoying their closeness and the sensuality of his body pressed tightly against her own. She was entranced by his gift but most of all by him. Her heart swelled with happiness. He was so good to her and she adored the love she saw in his eyes. Her own echoed the same sentiments, sparkling with affection and devotion.

The white mare seemed to like her. Johan had made a good choice. How had he known that they would suit each other so well? She didn't know yet whether she was spirited or docile, but Eleanora imagined that her demeanor would be complimentary to hers. Having her own horse had been just a dream when she lived in her grandfather's kingdom. Now Johan was making all her dreams come true.

She was glad there was a place close to his forest where they could leave the horses. The lodge must be occupied if they had to tell someone where they were going. “Your people will discover that I love being surrounded by nature. My grandfather allowed me out of the castle only rarely. I remember staring longingly at the forest I could see from my window, wondering what it was like to be among the trees.”

Eleanora nodded. “I will ride her. I know how to ride, but I will definitely need some guidance. Will you stay close to me? I will feel much more comfortable with you by my side, at least at first.”

She held out her hand again as the horse walked out of the stable and crooned to her softly to set her at ease. “I think I will name her either Crystal or Jewel.” She glanced over at Johan. “Which one do you like the best?”

Johan always enjoyed their closeness. It reminded him of her love and always fanned the passion that burned for her. Johan smiled, nodding eagerly as she spoke of loving forests. He marveled at how well matched they were. He gently cupped her cheek, eyes sparkling. “There’s a l-l-lot of nature here. We’ll have to go over every inch.” He squeezed her bum, a particularly lovely inch of his love.

Johan enjoyed the idea of riding out into the wilderness with her. It had always been a private activity. Perhaps sometimes it still would be. But Eleanora was never an imposition. Every moment spent together was a joy.

“We’ll ride side by side.” Johan promised. “We c-c-can go slow… until you’re comfortable.” If need be, Johan could take the reins and lead her horse to the forest. But Johan thought Eleanora could manage to ride, at least slowly. “You’ll be able to reach out and grab me.” Johan tried to soothe the slight hint of anxiety in her voice.

Johan thought for a bit. He liked both names. “Crystal. It’s a lovely name.” Johan smiled and gently patted the horse. “Hello Crystal.” He said, smiling. He suspected they were going to have a whole menagerie of pets. He suspected Crystal had just become a court favorite.

Johan opened the stable door. Crystal walked out, already saddled. Johan looked at her with a small smile. If she needed help mounting, whether because of skill or height, he would help her up.

“I would like that.” She laughed as he squeezed her bum and winked saucily. “As long as we always bring a blanket with us just in case.” Eleanora had greatly enjoyed making love in the field of flowers and he probably knew other beautiful places where they could indulge their desires. And even if they just rode together, she would be content. She had been confined to a castle for so long that just being outdoors was new and exciting. When she was with him, everything was exciting.

Eleanora imagined that most men who had been riding most of their lives would be impatient with someone who would slow them down, but Johan reassured her and promised that he would stay right beside her and that they could go slow. She didn't think that it would take her long to get the hang of it and the little mare seemed so sweet. Her smile was colored with gratitude. “You are so good to me, dearest Johan. I love you so much.

“Then Crystal it is.” If she had her way, they would eventually have a menagerie, and not only the usual cats, dogs, and horses. With an interest in healing, she would most likely rescue injured wild animals and bring them home where they would stay until they were well enough to be released back into the forests.

The horse walked out, and Eleanora looked up at her, not quite sure how to get into the saddle. It seemed so high up. With a playful grin, she held out her arms to Johan, hoping he might give her a boost.

“Mmm,” Johan leaned in for a kiss at her wink. He inhaled a moment and resisted the urge to go further. He wasn’t sure they’d need the blanket. He thought her arms were plenty warm. But he’d be sure to always have one. It would get frequent use in all those beautiful, private spots he knew.

Johan was happy to help her and her grateful smile made his heart sing. “You are everything… I w-w-want in a woman, my lioness. I want to give you everything. I would… take the light from the sun j-j-just to warm you.” Whatever she needed, whether it was comfort, or help, or patience, Johan would provide. Her love would repay all his efforts in full.

Johan wouldn’t mind Eleanora’s menagerie. He’d love it himself. And while he’d never rescued injured animals, it would be a lovely thing to do. They were so compatible and good to each other. And he burned with passion for her. He again thought they were made for each other, destined to be together.

Johan laughed and took Eleanora by the waist. In one smooth motion he helped her up so she was sitting on the horse. He looked up at his petite love for the first time, his hands still resting on her hips. He gently stood up tall and leaned forward, puckering for a kiss. She could lean down safely, especially while he was holding her.

Eleanora sighed against his lips when he kissed her. If they didn't go soon, they would end up copulating in the stable. There was a certain appeal to that idea, but she did want to see his magical forest today. As for blankets, she had been thinking along the lines of placing one on the ground so that they could lie on it rather than covering themselves with it. But if it was cold, then the warmth would be welcomed and they could cuddle beneath it together while observing the beauty of nature.

She clung to him tightly for a moment, enjoying their closeness. “You have already given me all I ever want … you.” Pulling away, she smiled up at him. “You are all I need and all I desire. I would not want you to deprive the world of the sun's light, when the light in your heart will always keep me warm.” They were two parts of the same whole, and nothing could ever tear them apart. And if for some reason they did become separated, she knew that they would always find each other.

Johan understood her hint and when he lifted her up, she felt like she was flying for a few brief moments before she felt the saddle beneath her. It had been several years since she had ridden by herself and the view made her a bit dizzy. Still, she leaned down and kissed him, one hand holding Crystal's reins and the other gently caressing his cheek. “Thank you, my love. One of these days, you need to show me how to mount by myself.”

Sitting back up, she accustomed herself to her new elevated position. Yes, she could do this. She remembered how to ride. Leaning forward, she stroked Crystal's long neck and grinned down at Johan. “Shall we go, my love?”

Johan smiled, his joy shining through at her words. He felt the urge to reach out for her… They really were going to deliciously distract each other. For the rest of their lives. Johan smiled lustfully at the thought.

“When he return.” Johan promised. She might need a footstool because of her height. Or perhaps Eleanora was acrobatic. But they would find out.

Johan nodded that it was time to go. He fetched his own horse. It was a white stallion. With a pat the horse loped to let Johan on (his leg being a problem). But he was up a moment later. “If you n-n-need me, call my name.” The reassurance was probably unnecessary. Whenever Eleanora called him he would stop and come.

But with that Johan rode out of the stable. The courtyard and streets cleared before them in a sign of respect, though eyes still tended to Eleanora. There were less though. While she would always get attention, both for her beauty and her status, she was less of a novelty.

Johan’s pace was slow and once they were outside the walls it picked up. They were not riding hard. They were heading southwest this time, partly along a main road but soon through open countryside. The well-organized farms outside the wall gave way to small villages which gave way to isolated homesteads. And then they were in the heath, devoid of human habitation.

Yet the area burst with life. Plants of a thousand kinds, rocks, trees. A few at first but as they approached the forest they became old, mighty, and venerable. There were so many that some blocked out light. Animals were here, some completely unlike what had been outside. Large rabbits, deer with strange antlers, brightly colored creatures that looked like skinny cows. Where the whim of branches allowed it, spectacular scenes of deer feasting on ivy or bright flowers beneath the canopy burst forth.

The place was ancient. And the place was huge. From its outskirts in was a trek itself and it stretched beyond the horizon in every direction.

They came to a small cottage. It was built at the foot of a massive tree, so large the cottage was tiny before it. The sun still shined but lamps and fire illuminated it in the shade. There was a place for their horses there, a small stable.

An elderly servant came out to greet them. Johan dismounted and the servant took his horse. Johan walked over, arms out to help her dismount (or jump into his arms). He smiled widely. Johan intended to head straight in.

It was almost imperceptible, but Johan was changing ever so slightly. He was standing a bit taller. He had more energy about him. His foot moved a bit more easily. There was a thin magical charge around him. No one but Eleanora would notice, but Eleanora knew him intimately enough she might.

And the place was responding too. Animals would come to peak at him. Plants would sway in his presence. Winds would blow, gently whispering through the boughs of the trees.

Eleanora’s magic wouldn’t flee her. But the magic of the place was starting to envelope her. It was familiar, the same feeling she’d had when Johan’s magic had touched her. A gentle presence, it washed over her like she was standing in the shallow of the ocean and slowly submerging herself into something vast and deep.

Johan had gone to great lengths not to touch her mind before. Here she would feel whispers of love and joy and lust. And trepidation, just a little fear, and some embarrassment at the fear.

Eleanora was quite flexible, but she still might need a stool to get into the saddle until she figured out how to do it on her own. She had used a stool on the rare occasions she had ridden in her grandfather's kingdom. “Or maybe tomorrow,” she replied with a playful smile. “There is something else I want to do when we return.” She was quite certain that he would know what she meant. He had promised her a wedding night, after all, and it might already be dark when they came back from the forest.

Soon they were on their way. Eleanora was too focused on staying close to Johan to notice the stares but she did see the path that was cleared for them. Riding, it turned out, was not as difficult as she had thought it would be and she managed quite well. By the time they were beyond the walls and Johan picked up the pace, she kept up with him, enjoying the view from up so high. Her head turned this way and that, looking at everything they passed. Every now and then she smiled over at Johan, excitement and love shining in her ice-blue eyes.

Everything enchanted her, particularly the strange animals. Were they already in his secret place or were the animals native to his land? As they approached the forest, Eleanora pulled Crystal closer to Johan as she looked up at the ancient trees. So far nothing was out of the ordinary, but she expected that they might run into some of those hostile creatures he had told her about at any moment.

When she saw the cottage at the foot of an enormous tree, she knew that they had not yet crossed over into the place of magic. He had told her that the cottage was just outside the forest. She jumped down into Johan's arms and hugged him tightly after handing Crystal's reins to a servant.

Already, Eleanora could see him changing. He looked taller and walked straighter and there seemed to be a kind of glow surrounding him. She had expected him to turn blue like he did when he was casting spells. Perhaps that would happen the farther they went into the forest. It was intriguing the way the animals and plants responded to him. He was truly the ruler of this place

She felt magic surrounding her at the very moment her mother's pendant grew warm against her skin. It was familiar and comforting and her body tingled all over, just as it had done when his magic had flowed through her while he was teaching her how to control her own. It was so strong here that it was a little bit frightening. The pendant became warmer and now she could feel it pulsing in rhythm with her own heart.

Soon she felt his mind touch hers and she grinned as his emotions filled her thoughts. Could he read her emotions as well? The notion might have disconcerted anyone else, but Eleanora had nothing to hide from him and wanted him to feel her love. When she noted his fear and embarrassment, she reached out and took his hand, squeezing it gently. “Don't be afraid,” she whispered, trying to send him reassuring thoughts. “I will always love you no matter what happens here, and I adore sharing your emotions like this.”

The pendant was still vibrating and warm to the touch. Reaching into her bodice, she pulled it out. With every beat of her heart, it changed color … first red, then pink, orange, gold, green, turquoise, blue and violet, repeating the pattern over and over. “It has never done this before. It must be a reaction to all this magic. Touch it,” she urged.

Eleanora didn't know that if anyone touched it but her, it would burn them severely, although perhaps Johan would be able to sense it.

Johan smiled a knowing smile at her quip. His eyes burned with the lust. They wouldn’t would sleep much tonight.

Johan smiled widely at her excitement. Joy and love sparkled in return. He stayed close but he was looking at her more than the place around him. When she came close, he leaned over and gently took hold of her shoulder. He squeezed, a small sign of affection along the way. They were not in danger yet.

Johan could feel Eleanora. It was nothing so direct as mindreading. It was a… sense, of emotions, images, feelings. Those things that were most basic, within her soul, laid bare. She felt sublime. And Eleanora could feel the entire time Johan’s focus was squarely on her.

Johan caught her when he jumped. He squeezed her in tight embrace. The servant walked off to stable their two horses and went back inside. Johan’s eyes flared with passion. This place breathed more life into his soul, a soul that already burned with love for her. He wanted to make love to her, here in the forest, where she could feel what he felt.

When Eleanora spoke to him, he smiled. His heart swelled. And Eleanora would feel the great wave of his love crashing over everything. She had felt his emotions before but this was so much stronger. The depths of his love were infinite and all-consuming and for just a moment she was his entire world. When the feelings receded, the fear had eroded, replaced with warm feelings of affection.

“Thank you,” He said. He squeezed her hand back. Johan’s tone, his face, his reaction wasn’t any different from the other times. She’d comforted him, said kind words, whispered love or lust before. But now Eleanora could feel how she made him feel. Know the impact she had.

There was something more too. There was… something about the comment about sharing emotions. That held just a bit more significance than was normal.

”Touch it!” Johan smiled and reached out.

Then he touched it.

Johan let out an unearthly scream. It echoed in the magic Eleanora felt. His pain resonated through the forest. Birds took flight, animals scampered, and a great and ominous wind blew. It was so strong it extinguished the lamps, knocked over the cottages chairs. It howled in pain. The giant tree groaned and shook, leaves falling to the ground.

Johan’s hand had been charred black, frozen in a clutching gesture. He crumbled to the ground, unconscious and pale. His visage was nothing like sleep. He almost looked dead.

But he was breathing and the emotions that Eleanora felt still flowed. Pain, regret, love. And fear too, not of Eleanora, but for her. A strong desire to reassure her. And a strong desire for her comfort and love.

Archived